Ticking Time by Binte Muhammad
Summary: The thirty seconds before Weasley came and pulled Potter out of that frozen lake in the Forest of Dean were the longest thirty seconds of his life.
Categories: Misc > All written in Snape's POV Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape
Genres: Action/Adventure, Canon, Drama, General
Media Type: Story
Tags: Spying on Harry! Snape
Takes Place: 7th Year
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1045 Read: 310 Published: 14 Oct 2023 Updated: 14 Oct 2023
Ticking Time by Binte Muhammad

Snow fell silently from the moonless sky, making the already frigid air cooler. The sound of a dull thud was heard, and then all was silent again. Not a sound was to be heard, not even the rustling of leaves.

Severus did not manage to arrive as silently as he had planned, having apparated into a tree stump hidden mere inches beneath the snow. He bit his lip to stop the undignified yelp his throat had produced as his knees hit the sharp edge, splinters breaking off and embedding into his robes.

Regaining his bearing, he looked around. He'd apparated right at the edge of a clearing. In the middle of the clearing, Severus could see a frozen lake. Perfect. Now he could be at Hogwarts before midnight, as he had planned.

In a trice, a switching spell had the sword replaced with the lake water hidden beneath the ice's surface. Satisfied, he twisted and turned toward the forest.

He strolled carefully, looking for the slightest sign of the children he knew were there — for they were children, no matter what the rest of the Wizarding World seemed to think.

He hadn't walked for long when he came across that sign: an indent in the snow where — Severus accurately guessed — they had rested or put their things, disturbing the snow, before it had started falling again. The freshly fallen snow covered the marks, but the slight indent did not even out.

Severus still couldn't see the trio's camp, but no matter. Granger was sure to have used some kind of warding, and he had no time to figure it out and dismantle it. He had figured out that the children were here.

It would have to do.

Raising his wand in the pitch dark, Severus thought back to the past, where all his happy memories remained stagnant, fading. He pulled up one with Lily, face screwed up in concentration.

The hopelessness that had gripped his heart made it hard, just as light always finds it difficult to break through impenetrable darkness.

But Severus was not one to give up so easily.

At long last, the ghostly figure of his doe formed through the streak of blinding light streaming from his wand. It looked at him momentarily, then gracefully floated away at his silent command. Severus remained there, watchful.

He did not have to wait long. Footsteps were soon heard, softened by the snow, and then Potter himself appeared, looking pale in the light of his wand, which he held in one hand. His hair was uneven as though he'd tried to cut it himself, and his face was gaunt. He had tattered clothes hanging off his shoulders, and he had the unhealthy appearance of a teen stuck in poverty.

Still, without realising it, Severus released a relieved breath. As ill as his appearance was, he was alive.

Logically, Severus had known that if — Merlin forbid — Potter had died, it'd be public knowledge before the day was out.

Still, a troublesome niggle of doubt remained. What if he had died of hypothermia, or starvation in some corner of an isolated place, not found until weeks later? He imagined finding Potter's body in a ditch, skeletal and —

Severus shuddered and shook himself. Potter was alright — he'd seen that for himself.

Pushing the disturbing thoughts at the back of his mind, Severus thought he'd better ensure that Potter safely returned to the tent.

The boy was out of sight by now, but the doe left a strangely shimmering light on the ground. Cursing himself at his momentary lapse of intelligence, Severus followed.

He arrived at the clearing just in time to see Potter diving into the lake, his still-lighted wand on the ground by the shore. Something glinted gold on his neck just before he disappeared beneath the surface.

Severus locked his muscles forcibly to avoid running after Potter, the thoughtless child.

Hastily, he cast a silent Tempus, looking at the numbers that appeared, floating in the air.

23:59:30.

Severus felt indecisive. Dare he show himself?

Thirty seconds, Severus told himself firmly. Thirty seconds, he'll wait till midnight. If Potter still didn't appear, Severus would go after him.

Severus tapped his foot impatiently. 

23:59:40.

It was already too long. Unless… maybe Potter wasn't thoughtless. He might have cast a bubble-head charm. Surely he knew how to cast that by now, with six years of magical schooling? Surely he'd thought of it before jumping in an ice-covered lake?

Severus glanced at the floating numbers once more, watching the seconds tick by. 

23:59:50.

Even if the boy could breathe, the water was freezing. If he didn't drown, he could die of hypothermia. Why did Potter have to earn the sword? Why couldn't he have just picked it up?

23:59:51.

But, Severus reminded himself, the danger of frostbite was easily fended off with a warming charm. Severus himself was making use of it at that moment, in fact. The boy would be fine.

23:59:52.

But then, why was he taking so long? How hard is it to get a sword and get out?

23:59:53.

On second thought, maybe Severus should go after him now? Potter had looked malnourished; he'd be more susceptible to cold. In that case, thirty seconds would be much too long.

23:59:54.

Unconsciously, Severus took a step forward then froze. The sound of running feet sounded especially loud in the silence of the night. He hoped the intruder left quickly, or Severus would have to show himself.

23:59:55.

Severus hated the way his heart thudded in his chest. He was not afraid, he was not, even if could still hear the intruder coming closer, too close.

23:59:56.

He was not afraid, even if Potter tried his hardest to send him to an early grave.

23:59:57.

The next moment, everything happened at once. Suddenly, a figure appeared in the clearing and jumped into the lake without hesitation. Severus's voice died in his throat as he noticed the unique shade of Weasley's hair in the light of Potter's wand still lying at the edge of the lake.

23:59:58.

He consciously tried to relax himself. Weasley would get Potter out soon. He was safe now.

23:59:59.

Any moment…

00:00:00.

Two heads broke through the water's surface and Severus released his breath in a whoosh. Gathering himself quickly, he disapparated.

He must not be seen.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3897