Almost Too Late by Binte Muhammad
Summary: Harry gets lost in the forest. Will Severus find him before it's too late?
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Overly-protective Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Family, Fluff, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: Story
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 964 Read: 747 Published: 14 Oct 2023 Updated: 14 Oct 2023

1. Almost Too Late by Binte Muhammad

Almost Too Late by Binte Muhammad

Harry thought he would never make it. Already he could feel the cold settling in his bones. Severus' voice echoed in his head.

"Whatever you do, do not lie down. Even if you have no idea of the direction you're supposed to go in, do not lie down."

It was only those words that stopped Harry from taking a few moments to rest, and it was that which saved his life, if only little Harry knew.

He had left their little cottage early in the morning to explore the forest, as he always did. 

Severus had delayed Harry, wanting to bundle him up as much a possible. Apart from wearing his usual winter clothes, he'd had to wear gloves, socks, and leather boots. Finally, a horrid, scratchy scarf had been wound around his neck.

Harry hated that scarf. It was so thick it made him feel as if he were choking, and it was a horrid green colour that made him think of vomit. So, the moment Harry had walked far enough that couldn't be seen, he'd pulled it off and carried it instead.

But as the hours went by, Harry got tired of carrying it. He stuffed it in a hollow under a tree where there was no snow and skipped away, glad to be free of his burden. It was the second worst decision he'd made today.

Not the worst one. That honour belonged to his idea of straying from the path, thinking that there'd be more exciting things deeper in the forest. Harry still hadn't seen a wolf yet, and he'd wanted to see one since forever!

Before Harry knew it, the sun had gone down. Guiltily, he'd turned to go back home, knowing he was late. He hoped he wouldn't be in too much trouble if he hurried.

It was then that Harry realised he was lost. He trudged on forward with the determination of a child, as the air got cooler and cooler. Harry's face burned and his eyes grew heavier, and still he couldn't see the smallest sign of the path. He wished now that he hadn't taken off his scarf; then at least he might have been warmer.

He was fast losing hope. Severus had warned him of the dangers of getting lost when he'd first arrived here and scared him enough that he'd not dared to go off the path, regardless of how curious he felt. But gradually he forgot his fear, and his curiosity increased, and finally, he'd wandered off.

Oh, why had he done so? Why hadn't he just listened to Severus?

Tears started flowing from his eyes, cooling as they were exposed to the frigid air. Harry did not bother wiping them off; he just concentrated on walking.

"Do not stop walking."

Just then, a voice floated in the air, fading away almost before it reached him. Harry stopped, trembling.

Was it Severus? Or something dangerous?

Harry listened closely, but he didn't hear anything again. Thinking that he might have imagined it, fresh tears poured out of his eyes. Soon he was sobbing uncontrollably, wishing he was home in front of the fire, with Severus' strong arms wrapped around him, his belly comfortably full.

"Harry!"

Harry stopped. He definitely heard something! Pulling up the last of his strength, Harry called out desperately.

"Severus! I'm here!"

"Harry, call out again!"

"Here! I'm here!"

With those last words, Harry lost his strength and could call out no more.

A few seconds later Severus appeared in view and Harry's heart burst out in relief. He sat down on the ground with a bump, holding his hands up. He did not care that he was being babyish, that he'd in fact refused to be held just the night before. He just wanted to feel safe.

Severus reached him quickly and picked him up, and Harry melted in his embrace. Harry could feel that scratchy scarf wrapped around him again, but he did not mind. He cuddled closer to Severus, letting Severus' stern words soothe him, and closed his eyes.  

He had to open them again almost immediately as Severus shook him.

"Harry, Harry! Don't go to sleep! It's too dangerous, wait till you've warmed up. Harry, can you hear me?"

Harry's eyes burned from exhaustion, but he had already disobeyed Severus, and where had that got him? So he just nodded and kept his eyes open, too tired to do anything more.

Finally, the cottage appeared in the distance, looking safe and inviting. In a few minutes, they'd entered into the welcoming warmth. Harry felt himself being placed on a sofa near the fire, and soon he began to feel warmer and less tired.

Severus had gone, but he appeared within his perception again, holding a steaming cup Harry knew was filled with ginger tea. Harry hated it, but now he took it gratefully, sipping the drink. He relaxed at the warmth spreading in his body, thawing out his frozen muscles. Severus sat on the chair opposite, not taking his eyes off him.

Now that Harry was not feeling so off-centre, he began to feel guilty. Severus had not spoken since entering the house, and the silence felt stifling.

"I — I'm s-sorry," he said at last, feeling miserable. 

"It's a good thing I found your scarf, or I'd never have found you " To Harry's surprise, Severus' voice was as hoarse as his own.

"That's no excuse for taking it off," Severus added in a stern tone.

"I know," Harry said miserably, getting off the chair and going to Severus. "I'm sorry."

Severus picked him up and kissed him softly on his forehead, and Harry knew he was forgiven.

Feeling content, he leaned against the broad chest, the scarf still around him. He was never taking it off again.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3898