Caught Between by TheLostBoys333
Summary:

In his 4th year, Harry feels like he has lost everything while also fighting for his life in the Triwizard Tournament. However, he may find that, perhaps, he has actually found everything he has always wanted. AU


Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lucius, Original Character, Ron
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: Story
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Depression Recovery
Takes Place: 4th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Bashing, Character Death, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 34 Completed: Yes Word count: 109411 Read: 14585 Published: 09 Nov 2023 Updated: 11 Nov 2023
Chapter 21 by TheLostBoys333
Author's Notes:

Translations:

[Russian in English text] Moy drug = My friend

[Russian in English text] Rebenok = Child

“Harry, I really don’t think this is a good idea,” Severus said, full of concern.


“I don’t care. I’m going,” Harry said and looked up at his guardian. “I have to…please.”


Severus hesitated, numerous doubts and other thoughts flitting through his mind. He glanced over at Alexei, a silent plea for help.


The vampire sighed. “It’s been over a month, ml6;y drug. We do not know how long this will take. The child needs to see him, you both do. I will be with you. He'll be safe.”


Severus turned back to Harry with his own sigh. “What about the Dementors? You do not react well to them.”


Harry pulled out a full bar of chocolate. “Fred and George have a stash.”


“I will also have my Patronus out,” Alexei said, “which you can also do,” he added to Severus.


“See? We’ll be okay,” Harry said. “Please let me do this? I need to see him. I miss him.”


Severus sighed again. “I know you do, child. Alright, we’ll take you to see him.”


Harry smiled and wrapped his arms around Severus’ waist. “Thank you.”


Severus hugged him back, kissing the top of Harry’s head. “I am so sorry you’ve had to go through this.”


Harry stepped back. “It’s been okay. I’ve had the two of you to help. I’ve been writing him letters, too, hoping I’d get to see him and give them to him.”


Severus gave a sad smile and put a hand on the Gryffindor’s cheek. “An excellent idea. You know you are what is keeping him sane.”


Harry blushed, embarrassed.


Alexei walked over, also smiling. “It’s true. Thoughts of getting back to you and all of us are keeping him alive. Your letters will be wonderful for him.”


Harry gave an unsure smile, leaning into his guardian as Severus pulled him gently to his side.


“We all miss him and want him back,” Severus whispered. “We will bring him back.”


“I know,” Harry whispered back, relishing the kiss on his forehead.


“Time to go,” Alexei said. “We have to go to the Ministry first to get our escort. I will handle all of that.”


The others nodded.


“Actually,” Alexei said, obviously changing his mind, “Severus, you can Apparate there, yes?”


“I can.”


“Then you two do that and I will meet you there with our escort.”


“Very well,” Severus said. “We will see you there.”


Alexei nodded and stepped into the Floo, spinning away to the Ministry of Magic.


“You are ready?” Severus asked Harry who nodded just as he finished fastening his cloak. “Good. Down to Hogsmeade.”


They left the dungeons and the castle, making their way towards the village. Harry felt his stomach begin to flip nervously.


“Won’t Dumbledore be mad we’re leaving?” Harry asked even though that was the least of his concerns.


“Undoubtedly,” Severus said casually and Harry frowned. “However, there is absolutely nothing he can do or say. I am your guardian and I hold the right to take you from school whenever I wish. It is also the weekend so your education is not being interrupted.”


“Right,” Harry said, his mind already on other things.


“Are you sure you want to do this, child?” Severus asked gently, bringing them to a stop.


“I have to see him,” Harry said.


“I know,” Severus said, “but this is Azkaban. It is a very terrible place to be, especially for a child. I need you to be sure, absolutely sure.”


Harry hesitated before answering, wondering if he was sure. He knew Azkaban was awful and he knew it would be horrific for him with all the Dementors. No amount of chocolate would completely help. It was Lucius though. The man was like family, just like Severus and Alexei, even though he would never say anything. It had been a month since Lucius’ arrest, a month since he had last seen the man.


He had to go. He had to see Lucius, make sure he was at least kind of okay.


He looked at Severus resolutely. “I’m sure.”


“Alright,” Severus said. “Stay beside me at all times. If it is getting to be too much, tell me and we’ll leave. None of us want you risking your health.”


Harry nodded in agreement. Severus squeezed his shoulder and then led them the rest of the way. Harry grasped Severus’ arm tightly and tried to prepare for the new form of travel. The way Severus had described it, Harry knew he would not enjoy it…and he was right. It was the most sickening feeling, as though being pushed through a tiny straw. Every part of him was being squeezed and he felt sure he was about to suffocate.


And then it stopped. He stood, swaying, still grasping Severus’ arm and his eyes closed. His head was pounding, his ears ringing, his lungs burning, his chest aching, his stomach rolling, his legs shaking…


“Take a few breaths and steady yourself,” Severus said quietly. “It will pass.”


Harry felt fairly certain that was a lie, but he took a few slow, deep breaths anyway. After his tenth breath, everything finally seemed to be settling down. He finally opened his eyes and registered the damp, frigid air.


While it wasn’t quite warm back at Hogwarts, it was still much warmer than where they currently were. He pulled his cloak tight around him, unconsciously checking to make sure his letters were still in his pocket. The air here was damp, mist settling on his face and glasses constantly. It was also cold, as though it was constantly on the verge of storming.


He turned at Severus’ hand on his shoulder and he finally looked upon their destination. The appearance of the prison took his breath away and not in a good way. It was, quite frankly, terrifying. The pain, the sadness, the depression was suffocating even from their great distance. The hard, dark stone and waves crashing on jagged rocks added a chilling feel, metaphorically and literally. He shuddered as he saw a Dementor float by a window and as he realized it was only one of many. He couldn’t believe Lucius had been here for a month.


“How are you feeling?” Severus asked, drawing the boy’s attention.


“I’m okay,” Harry said even as he shivered again and pulled his cloak impossibly tighter.


Severus gave him a look and waved his wand. Harry watched the familiar stream of blue light leave his guardian’s wand. The light swirled before taking form and Harry stared at the glowing doe in wonder, deliberating its story again. It circled them, chasing away the cold and sadness, before coming to stand beside Severus. There was a pop and they turned to see Alexei and a middle-aged bearded man.


“Alright, moy drug?” Alexei said.


Severus nodded, unconsciously rubbing Harry’s back as his doe circled them again. “We shouldn’t linger much longer though,” he said.


Alexei looked over his shoulder at the man he had brought with him. The man was standing in a small boat, sliding oars into their holders.


“It doesn’t run on magic?” Harry asked, watching the man.


“Only enough to keep it on course,” Severus said.


“A precaution in a worst-case scenario,” Alexei added and Harry nodded. “Come on, time to go.”


They all stepped into the boat and settled. Harry watched as the doe walked over the rough water beside the boat. He understood why magic was used to keep the boat on track. The dark water was extremely rough, crashing against the boat and getting them damp. The boat wanted to veer off course or tip over, but the magic stopped it.


Harry shivered, but smiled up at Alexei when the man put his hands on Harry’s knees.


Finally, they hit the rocks surrounding the prison. Harry was helped out of the boat and he stared up at the tall, menacing building, dread filling him. Even Severus’ Patronus could no longer keep all the effects of the Dementors away. The emptiness was sinking in. Feelings of sadness, depression, hopelessness…an inability to feel happiness. All he could recall were terrible memories. He watched Ron’s body fall in front of his eyes repeatedly as he listened to his mother scream for her life.


Then it all began to fade. His eyes focused and he saw the glowing blue fox bouncing around Severus’ doe. Something was pressed into his hand. He looked down to find it was a piece of chocolate and he instantly put it in his mouth. Warmth slowly spread through his body. The warmth spread further and cleared the dark fog from his mind as a glowing lynx joined the other Patronuses.


“Harry, talk to me!”


Harry blinked and looked away from the doe, fox, and lynx, and at Severus. His guardian’s face was full of worry.


“Sorry,” Harry said, finally coming back to himself. “I’m okay now, really.”


“You are absolutely sure?” Severus said, searching the green eyes.


Harry nodded. “I’m sure, I promise. I’m okay.”


Severus searched some more before squeezing Harry’s shoulder and resting his hand on the child’s neck. He turned and inclined his head, bringing Harry’s attention to the kind-looking bald black man standing in the prison’s entrance. The man was dressed in purple robes and had an official looking pin on his chest.


“Kingsley,” Alexei said, stepping forward and shaking the man’s hand. “Excellent to see you, moy drug.”


“And you,” the man—Kingsley—said with a smile. “Are you all ready? I’m afraid the best I could get you was twenty minutes.”


Severus glanced at Harry’s disappointed face and sighed. “We’ll take what we can get.”


Kingsley bowed his head. “Follow me. Do not go near any of the cells. The most dangerous prisoners are kept on another floor but that doesn’t mean the others aren’t also dangerous. Remember what Dementors do to a person. As for the Dementors, they have been quarantined from this area until we leave but still keep your Patronuses. Speak to no one else and go nowhere alone.”


The others nodded in understanding and continued to follow the man. Severus kept his arm around Harry’s shoulders and Alexei followed close behind them. Eventually they turned a corner and were stopped in front of a cell.


“Lucius Malfoy,” Kingsley said. “You have visitors.”


Harry watched the man press his palm to the patch of iron on the door where a keyhole should be. The iron glowed yellow and they all heard a quiet click. Kingsley pulled the door of bars open and gestured for them to enter. Harry glanced at Severus and Alexei, receiving nods from both of them.


He turned to the dark cell. It was the middle of the day yet it was so dark at Azkaban that it seemed perpetually night. He took a few steps, straining to see anything.


“Harry?” a quiet, hoarse voice said from the far corner by the tiny window.


Harry turned his head in that direction, taking a few more small steps. “Lucius?”


He spotted an outline move in the dark. He jumped when a torch was suddenly lit behind him. He looked back and found Kingsley giving an apologetic look. Steadying his heart, he turned to see Lucius again for the first time in a month.


His heart ached. Usually so proper, pristine, confident, put together…


Lucius looked nothing like that anymore. the long hair was limp and stringy, hanging over his face messily. It was so dirty it hardly looked like its old bleach blonde. Gone were the expensive and impressive robes. Now he wore what essentially resembled a burlap sack made into a massive shirt and pants. He had no shoes, showing how dirty his feet were and also showing multiple small, healing cuts. His face was the worst, also immensely dirty, almost making him unidentifiable. It was also so thin and sunken, no more than grey skin pulled over bone. His grey eyes looked huge though they were dull, sad, broken, unfocused.


However, as soon as those eyes spotted Harry, Harry saw them change. The fogginess disappeared and a little bit of light returned.


“Harry,” Lucius said again, his thin mouth forming a ghost of a smile.


Harry choked on a sob and rushed forward. He threw his arms around Lucius’ neck and held tight, feeling the man’s returning embrace though it was weaker.


“Lucius,” Severus said, he and Alexei coming into the cell now as well.


“I can’t believe you all came here,” Lucius said, still holding Harry. “Thank you.”


The two men smiled.


“How are you?” Alexei asked and Lucius sighed.


“I’m not sure how to answer that,” he said. “I’m not okay, but I’m managing, I suppose.”


Alexei nodded. “I’ve got my first meeting with the Wizengamot next week. It will probably still be a while, however.”


“I know,” Lucius said. “I’ll manage.”


Harry eventually pulled away, sitting on the rough stone floor beside Lucius. “I’ve got letters for you. Nothing’s really been happening, but I still wrote about stuff.”


Lucius smiled, taking the stack of about two dozen letters with thin fingers. He pulled Harry close again in appreciation. Harry relished being with Lucius again only to have Kingsley tell them it was time to leave. The Dementors were coming back around.


“Just hang tight, moy drug,” Alexei said, smiling sadly as Harry and Lucius hugged tightly.


“Here.” Harry pulled away again and pressed his huge bar of chocolate into Lucius’ hand. “Maybe it’ll help a little. Just don’t let anyone see.”


“I will be alright, my child,” Lucius said, brushing back Harry’s hair. “I will be home with you before you know it.”


Harry nodded sadly, standing after hugging the man once again. With goodbyes said, they all finally left the prison.




“Thanks,” Harry said, finishing off his History of Magic essay. He and Alexei were up in the Astronomy Tower, the vampire helping him with his paper on the troll wars of the 1960s. It was far more interesting to learn about such things from Alexei rather than Binns. Now they had finished, Alexei bid goodbye to go work on Lucius’ case for the rest of the evening and prepare for his meeting the next day.


Harry put his work aside with a sigh, looking out at the darkening landscape. He couldn’t stop thinking about Lucius. He just wanted the man back. It was bad enough he could never have Ron back.


“Hey, Potter,” a voice interrupted. “Hiding away, are you?”


Harry just raised an eyebrow at Seamus and the other Gryffindors. There were only three others but he knew they were ones on the ‘hate Harry Potter’ team. “What would I be hiding from?”


“Everyone,” Seamus spat. “Everyone knows you visited Malfoy in Azkaban and you spend all your time with Snape and the vampire.”


Harry’s eyebrows rose further as he slowly got to his feet. “You hate vampires now too?”


“I’ve read enough and heard enough stories,” Seamus said.


“Stories,” Harry echoed. “Right.”


“Seems you’re quite friendly with the Slytherin population.”


Harry scoffed. “I wouldn’t say that exactly, but so what if I am?”


“They’re Slytherins. You’re making friends with Snape and Malfoy, of all people. Pure evil and you’re getting cozy. What next, go dark?”


Harry’s face hardened. “Watch it, Seamus. Just walk away. I haven’t done anything to you.”


“No, but there are some that aren’t here to fight back anymore,” Seamus sneered and Harry winced at the implications of Ron.


“Walk away, Seamus,” he said again.


“Or what?” Seamus said. “Have some snakes to call for help?”


Harry said nothing. He had no way to get help and he wasn’t sure how he would hold up against four attackers. Even reading wouldn’t help because there would be too much at once. It would be impossible.


There was no more time to think as he dodged a Petrification Charm from Seamus and he pulled his wand. Since they were only fourth years, none of them had a large spell inventory. They all cycled between Stunning, Petrification, and Disarming. They probably just wanted Harry defenseless so they could turn the fight Muggle.


He found himself hit with three Disarming Charms and his wand went flying through the air and fell down. He knew he was in trouble, backing up until he bumped a wall. He could do nothing as the Stunning Spell came his way. He fell into darkness, knowing the attack wasn’t done.




“You believe me, don’t you, about Crouch Jr.?” Harry asked, watching the rain.


“Of course I do,” Ron said quickly. “I can’t tell you anything, mate.”


“I know,” Harry said. “Just making sure someone believes me.”


“They all do: Lucius, Severus, Alexei. It’s only because of Lucius’ arrest that Alexei hasn’t been able to look into Crouch Jr.”


“Yeah,” Harry said, nodding. “I’d rather he worry about that than Crouch Jr. anyway.”


Ron hummed.


“I miss you,” Harry said suddenly.


Ron turned his head to look at Harry. “I know, I miss you too.”


“Will these…meetings really end at some point?”


Ron nodded. “I can’t stay longer than I’m allowed. You are my job and I can only leave when it’s done, I have to leave when it’s done.”


“I don’t want them to end, you to leave,” Harry said. “I don’t want to keep being alone. I don’t want to do it all without you anymore. It’s too hard.”


“You’re not alone,” Ron said. “You can have so much with Alexei, Lucius, and Severus if you only gave them a real chance.”


“I’m trying. I do care about them and I know they care about me,” Harry said, his tone becoming almost frustrated as he continued, “but so did Sirius and Hermione. They both ccared about me and they both left. There’s nothing stopping Severus, Lucius, or Alexei from doing the exact same thing.”


“They won’t,” Ron reassured and Harry turned a pained look on him.


“They could.”


Ron just looked at him sadly, at a loss for what he could say to make Harry believe him and trust in the three men.


Thunder rumbled loudly, shaking the ground beneath them.




Harry stirred, sighing quietly. He really wanted to keep sleeping but his body clearly had other ideas. Mainly, his body wanted to make him aware of his pain. He groaned in pain as he woke up more and more. He could hear voices and knew Severus and Alexei were there. There was concern in the men’s voices, but not extreme concern.


He took a deep breath, though it hurt his chest, and he forced his eyes open. He expected it to be blindingly bright like always, but found, instead, that it was dark and quiet. He rolled his head on the pillow and found Severus and Alexei sitting next to each other by his bed. Severus was just saying something so it was the vampire that noticed he was awake first.


“Welcome back, rebenok.”


Severus turned and relief flooded his face. “How are you feeling, child?”


Harry hummed. “I haven’t done a full inventory yet. I’m sore, very sore, and tired.”


Severus nodded. “Unfortunately, you cannot have another Pain Reliever for another hour. You weren’t meant to wake up yet.”


Harry gave a small grin. “When do I ever do as I’m told?”


“Right you are, my child,” Severus said, chuckling.


“Do you remember what happened?” Alexei asked and Harry gave a nod.


“Seamus and some other Gryffindors. They cornered me in the Astronomy Tower and attacked me,” Harry said. “Were you able to find my wand? They had disarmed me and it fell down below.”


“Your wand was found,” Severus said. “We were not the ones to find you, however. The Weasley twins found you and brought you to the infirmary.”


“Oh, right,” Harry said. “I was supposed to go flying with them when I finished my homework. They must’ve come looking when I didn’t show up.”


Severus and Alexei nodded.


“It does not seem safe for you in the Tower anymore,” Severus said. “I would like you to come stay in my rooms.”


Harry shook his head. “That’ll make things worse. They’d really have a reason then. I’ll be okay in the Tower, really.”


“Are you sure, rebenok? You are very injured.”


“Yeah,” Harry said. “It’ll be better to stay in the Tower. Besides, no one is supposed to know you’re my guardian in case it gets back to Voldemort.”


Severus sighed. “I suppose you are correct.”


“I’ll be okay,” Harry said, shifting to get more comfortable.


“And if something should happen?” Severus asked, still concerned.


Here Alexei leaned forward to interject, holding something out. He opened his hand to reveal a small black stone with a single white line down the middle. Harry looked at it curiously. “Take this and keep it in your pocket. I have another and they’re connected. If you become endangered, my stone will grow warm and we can come help.”


Harry smiled at the vampire, clutching the stone in his fist.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3907