Caught Between by TheLostBoys333
Summary:

In his 4th year, Harry feels like he has lost everything while also fighting for his life in the Triwizard Tournament. However, he may find that, perhaps, he has actually found everything he has always wanted. AU


Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lucius, Original Character, Ron
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: Story
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Depression Recovery
Takes Place: 4th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Bashing, Character Death, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 34 Completed: Yes Word count: 109411 Read: 14588 Published: 09 Nov 2023 Updated: 11 Nov 2023
Chapter 26 by TheLostBoys333

Adoption? Harry continued to read the word over and over again as though he didn’t understand what it meant. Although that wasn’t completely untrue. He couldn’t seem to comprehend what it meant. What did it mean? Was someone getting adopted? Who and by who? Was Severus or Lucius or Alexei adopting someone? Were the forms meant to be for…him? Was Severus going to adopt him? Did he want to be adopted and adopted by Severus? He had never thought about it before, had never even considered it.


But he could be jumping to conclusions. For all he knew they were for someone else completely. Maybe Alexei was helping someone and just hadn’t gotten the forms to them yet.


What was the pressure he was suddenly feeling in his chest?


“Harry, here you are.”


Harry looked up at Alexei who had just entered the rooms.


“I think I have the perfect topic for your History of Magic project. I was there so I can tell you e—” The vampire stopped as his gaze fell on Harry and the papers in his hands. If it was possible, Harry could swear Alexei paled.


“What the hell are these?” Harry said, waving the papers.


“Harry, I think you should talk to Severus,” Alexei said.


“No, I want you to tell me now,” Harry demanded. He wasn’t sure why he felt so panicked.


“Harry…” Alexei said, sighing. “Severus asked me to get them.”


“Why?”


“I really think you should talk to Severus,” Alexei said again and found himself saved when Severus walked into the room.


Severus frowned slightly as he took in Alexei’s worried face and Harry’s mixed expression. “What is going on?”


“Harry found the papers,” Alexei said and Severus’ heart skipped anxiously. Severus nodded at Alexei who returned it and headed into Lucius’ room.


Severus looked at Harry gently and sighed, moving to sit in the chair that was usually Harry’s. “Is this going to become a habit, looking at things that aren’t yours?”


Harry’s eyes narrowed. “I don’t think that matters right now. What are these?”


“Those would be adoption papers,” Severus said calmly.


“For what?”


Severus raised an eyebrow. “They are generally used when an adult and a child have a bond they wish to make permanent.”


Harry gave another hard stare. “Why do you have them?”


“I was considering—”


“Were you even going to ask me first?”


Severus glared at the boy. “Do you honestly think I could adopt you without your knowledge or consent? Don’t be such an imbecile.”


“But why would you have these?” Harry repeated, finding his unexplainable anger fading into unexplainable desperation.


“It is an option I have been considering,” Severus said. “I care for you very much and want to keep you in my life. I want to provide a stable, happy life for you.”


“But why?” Harry whispered, unable to understand.


Severus gave him another gentle look. “Because I love you, child.”


Harry stared at him, his throat burning and his heart pounding. His head was throbbing and his ears were ringing. He had no idea how to respond. He didn’t know what to think or how to feel. He shook his head and dropped the papers as though they had burned him. He glanced at his guardian again before rushing from the sitting room and into the guestroom. He slammed the door shut behind him and leaned against it, breathing hard.


He couldn’t explain why he was acting like this. He felt so confused but he didn’t know why. Wasn’t this what he had always wanted, to have a family, to be wanted and loved? It’s what Severus was obviously offering so why wasn’t he accepting it? Why was he freaking out? He had wanted this his whole life.


You never pictured it being with Severus, Ron’s voice in his head said.


He frowned and slid down the door until he was sitting. It was true. Severus had never been the one he thought this would happen with. Up until this year, he had still been Snape, evil bastard of the dungeons and the man that hated him. His family dream had never included Severus Snape.


It had changed over the years as he grew up. When he was little he had still held out hope that his relatives would change and accept him as part of the family. When he met the Weasleys, he began to hope that maybe they could be his family. Then he met Sirius and it was supposed to be Sirius. He would be cleared and would be able to take him from the Dursleys’, and they would be family, just the two of them. And in between it all and in the very back of his mind, he held onto the fool’s hope that one day something would be able to bring his parents back. Then he could have his real family.


None of that was possible though. They were all dreams that would never happen.


But now there was Severus, offering it all.


Is it what he wanted? Did he want this and with Severus? He had never considered the idea of adoption. He had found himself content with the man’s guardianship, never thinking or believing it could or would go any further.


Did he want this?


Severus would be his family, but wasn’t he already? Unknowingly, he had already begun to think of Severus and Lucius and Alexei as his family. They had done so much for him, helped him, and taken care of him. He couldn’t imagine his life without them anymore. He cared about them so much.


Did he want this?


Did he love them, love Severus?


Was adoption what he really wanted?


Did he want Severus to be his father?


He buried his face in his knees.


He didn’t know what he wanted.




Severus sighed sadly as Harry disappeared into his bedroom. He looked over at the dropped adoption forms, wondering if he had made a horrible mistake. He glanced up as a door opened and Lucius and Alexei came uncertainly into the sitting room.


“He didn’t take it well?” Alexei ventured and Severus shook his head.


“This is obviously not something he wants,” Severus said, his heart breaking a little. He had really thought the child would be happy or excited about an adoption offer. He had thought the child felt the same way about him. Evidently not.


“You don’t know that,” Lucius said.


“He was probably just surprised,” Alexei added.


Severus shook his head, getting to his feet. “You can take the forms back, Alexei. Clearly I won’t be needing them after all.”


“Severus…” Alexei protested.


“Give him some time,” Lucius said. “Understand he had probably never even considered adoption by anyone before.”


“Exactly,” Severus argued. “He hasn’t considered it, we’re not in the same place.”


“Remember how he grew up,” Lucius said. “He grew up being told and believing no one wanted him. Why would he think about adoption when he believed he was unwanted?”


Severus didn’t answer, silently acknowledging the truth in what Lucius said. While it all made sense, he still couldn’t help feeling hurt at Harry’s reaction to the forms.


“Give him time and then talk to him about it again,” Alexei said.


Severus sighed and nodded. They all stopped and looked when Harry’s door opened. The boy walked out and walked quickly through the sitting room, completely ignoring the three men.


“Harry—” Alexei started to say.


“No,” Harry interrupted. “No, I can’t, not right now. Just…just leave me alone.”


The three men watched as Harry left and glanced at each other sadly. 




“Hey, Harry.”


“Everything alright?”


Harry looked up at Fred and George as they sat across from him at Gryffindor table.


“I’m fine,” Harry said.


“We don’t think you are,” Fred said.


Harry raised an eyebrow. “Why?”


“Because you have been keeping to yourself,” Fred said.


“And you haven’t spoken to Snape, Malfoy, or Alexei in days,” George added.


Harry blew out a breath, wishing he could escape the conversation. He really didn’t want to talk about what was going on. It had been several days since he found the adoption forms and had the small blowout with Severus. He had made no progress in figuring the whole situation out. He still didn’t know what to think or how to feel. He didn’t know how he felt about the idea of being adopted and adopted by Severus. It was all very overwhelming.


“Things are fine,” Harry said even though he knew the twins weren’t going to believe him.


“What happened?” George asked.


“Look, it’s nothing,” Harry said. “There’s nothing you can do. This is all just me figuring things out.”


“We can try to help,” Fred said and George nodded.


Harry looked at them. Could they help? Would they even understand? He could barely understand it himself. Maybe they could help him figure out why he was feeling the way he was, if anything. He hadn’t had anyone to talk to about it all, so maybe talking would help. Finally, he nodded.


 “Let’s go somewhere else though so no one overhears,” Harry said and they left the Great Hall. They all seemed to have the same idea as they headed outside and sat by Ron.


“So, what’s been going on?” Fred asked once they were all settled on the ground.


Harry hesitated, wondering how to begin. “I found something I don’t think I was meant to.”


The twins just looked at him, waiting.


“Severus has adoption papers,” Harry said bluntly and the twins’ faces fell into shock.


“Adoption?” Fred said.


“He wants to adopt you?” George said.


Harry nodded while shrugging a shoulder. “I guess so.”


“That’s great, isn’t it?” Fred said.


“What’s the problem?” George said.


Harry started to frown. “I don’t know. I always thought if there was to ever be someone who wanted to adopt me, I’d be so happy, but…I’m not, and I don’t know why.”


“Do you want him to adopt you?” Fred asked.


“I honestly don’t know,” Harry said, shaking his head. “Adoption has never even been an option so I have never really considered it. Hell, I never even considered anyone other than the Dursleys or Sirius even having guardianship. Severus was definitely never a consideration either until this year, and not even the full year. Things didn’t really start changing until after Ron died.”


“Well, it’s obviously an option now,” George said.


“Do you think he doesn’t really mean it?” Fred said.


“No, I know he does. He always means everything he does and says,” Harry said. “I didn’t know this was something he wanted. I didn’t know he felt this way.”


“Do you feel the same way?” George asked and Harry paused, turning to Ron’s grave and thinking.


Did he feel the same way? He began to think about everything that had happened, the memories playing like a slideshow. He focused on all the moments between him and Severus, as well as between him and Alexei and Lucius. He thought about how much they had all helped him, protected him, cared for him…


He had never noticed the extent of it all, always caught up in his emotions of the moment. He had never let himself notice that they did love him and, thinking about it all, he had never let himself consider if he felt the same. Did he? Did he love them, love Severus?


All the moments with Severus played again. Once more realizing how caught up he always was, he had never noticed that the professor had been like a father, all three of the men had been. He had been considering them, Severus especially, as father figures without even realizing.


“Is this something you want?” Fred asked.


“You’ve always wanted a family,” George said. “Looks like Snape and probably the others are offering to be your family.”


You can have a family and be happy, Ron’s voice whispered but he wasn’t sure if it was in his head or in his ear. A wind also picked up then, and blew across his face and through his hair. There was a warmth to the wind, however, and he immediately thought of Ron. He wasn’t seeing Ron in his dreams as often anymore and he knew they were coming to an end. Ron would leave soon, but he wasn’t ready for that. The dreams had let him hold onto his friend and he wasn’t ready to let go.


“I don’t know if this is what I want,” Harry said, looking back to the twins.


“Of course it is,” Fred said.


“It’s a family,” George said.


Your family, Ron’s voice whispered again.




Harry was walking through the dungeons, deep in thought as he headed back to Severus’ rooms. He was still aware enough, however, to notice the door to Severus’ stores closing and a familiar person standing in front of the now closed door. He frowned. What was Moody doing in Severus’ stores. Was he supposed to be there?


“Potter,” Moody growled as he spotted the boy, obviously caught off guard. “What’re you doin’ down here?”


“I’m going to see Professor Snape,” Harry said warily. “I’ve got a question about our final project.”


“Ah, well, best get to it then,” Moody said. “Ready for the task?”


Harry’s eyes narrowed as he stared at the professor. Was the man’s hair darker than usual? “I suppose. I’ve been practicing some stuff with the twins.”


Moody nodded and Harry’s frown deepened. The man’s hair was definitely darker and appeared to be getting shorter. “Good. You’ll need it. I must be off. Good evening, Potter, and good luck.”


“Yeah, thanks,” Harry said slowly, watching the man hobble away. He could swear he was watching the professor’s hair change. His eyes widened as light from a torch completely lit up Moody as he rounded a corner. The normally long, whiteish hair was now a dark brown and getting shorter.


He quickly spun to race to Severus’ rooms, only to instantly smack into a hard chest. Hands on his arms kept him on his feet, and he looked up at Alexei.


“Rebenok, what is the matter?” the vampire asked, concerned at the panic he saw on the boy’s face.


“It’s Moody,” Harry said. “He’s the one using Polyjuice Potion.”


Alexei frowned. “What are you talking about?”


“I’ve thought it was him ever since that memory in Dumbledore’s office,” Harry said. “He’s not Moody, he’s under Polyjuice.”


“How do you know this?”


“I just saw him and his hair was changing,” Harry said. “It was dark brown and shorter.”


Alexei’s frown deepened.


“I’m telling you, it’s Moody,” Harry repeated. “He’s been using Polyjuice all year.”


Alexei searched the child’s face before nodding. “Let’s speak with Severus.”




Severus stared at Harry with a frown, trying to comprehend what he had been told. “Would you mind repeating that? I’m not sure I heard correctly.”


Harry groaned, irritated. “Moody isn’t Moody. He’s the one using Polyjuice Potion and stealing your ingredients.”


“How could you possibly know this?”


“I just saw him and he was coming out of your storeroom. When he left, his hair was completely different,” Harry said. He spotted the look that passed between Severus and Alexei, and his eyes narrowed. “I’m not crazy. I know what I saw.”


“I’m not saying you are crazy, but we have no proof of what you are saying,” Severus said.


“Then we get some,” Harry argued. “Break into his office and you’ll probably find the potion.”


“Harry,” Alexei said, “we can’t break into the office of a professor.”


“But he’s not!”


“Whether he is Moody or not, he is still technically a professor,” Severus said. “We can bring our suspicions to the headmaster—”


“He won’t do anything,” Harry interrupted and dropped into his chair angrily. “He obviously hasn’t even noticed that something’s been up with Moody all year.”


“And you have?” Severus raised an eyebrow, moving to sit on the sofa with Alexei.


Harry nodded. “For the most part anyway. I’ve always had a weird feeling around him.”


Severus sighed. “Without proof, there is nothing we can do.”


“So, what? We do nothing, he gets to do whatever he’s here to do, and then he gets to just leave when the year ends?” Harry snapped. He shook his head when neither Severus or Alexei responded. “Something’s going to happen in the Third Task,” he added.


“What do you mean?” Severus said.


“I don’t know exactly, but I’ve had Moody tell me ‘good luck’ and to be ready several times,” Harry said. “Whatever the task is, something is going to happen.”


“You must do your best to be careful then,” Severus said and Harry nodded. “I have finally learned what the task is, if you wish to know.”


“Well, yeah!” Harry said almost condescendingly. He flushed slightly in apology at his guardian’s look.


“It is a maze,” Severus said. “The Triwizard Cup will be in the centre and you must go through the maze.”


“That doesn’t sound that bad,” Harry said.


“It is a magical maze,” Severus said. “It is going to be filled with various creatures. Hagrid’s help is required.”


“There’s not going to be another dragon, is there?” Harry said, dreading the idea of going through a maze populated by Hagrid’s pets.


Severus’ lips tilted into a partial smirk. “No, no more dragons.”


Harry blew out a breath of relief.


“The maze is not just creatures,” Severus continued. “It is charmed and magical. It will affect you and change you. You may see things or hear things or feel things. It is going to be dangerous.”


“How am I meant to prepare for a cursed maze?” Harry frowned.


“Your main concern will be to just survive and get through the maze,” Severus said. “You do not have to win. Just stay alive. Be very careful and do your best to stay away from the others. You will have no idea how the maze affects them.”


Harry nodded, feeling nervous about the task, especially if he was right about something happening. For the millionth time, he really wished he wasn’t in the tournament. He didn’t want to do the task. He was sick of being a Champion and risking his life. He just wanted the tournament to end.


“How am I supposed to do this?” Harry said, sighing.


“You do not have to win,” Severus said. “Just stay alive. That is the only thing we care about.”


Harry nodded again. They fell into silence then with Harry ruminating on everything that was happening. He vaguely acknowledged when Alexei left the room, leaving him and Severus alone. He found his thoughts turning back to the whole adoption thing.


“Harry, there is something else we should discuss,” Severus said and Harry knew it was about the adoption papers.


“I was actually coming here to talk about that,” Harry said.


“I do not want you to make any decisions right now,” Severus said. “I had meant to discuss the adoption idea with you before approaching the option.”


“I’ve been thinking about it and—”


“No decision yet,” Severus repeated. “I want you to wait until the school year is over. When the year is over, you will have less to worry about and can think about adoption clearly.”


“Okay,” Harry said. His thoughts had begun to race. This adoption was obviously something Severus wanted. What would happen if he decided he didn’t want the adoption?


“And know, no matter what you decide, I will remain you guardian and you will stay with me,” Severus said.


Harry smiled at the reassurance. He hoped the man meant it. No matter what he decided, he still wanted to stay with Severus and the others.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3907