Caught Between by TheLostBoys333
Summary:

In his 4th year, Harry feels like he has lost everything while also fighting for his life in the Triwizard Tournament. However, he may find that, perhaps, he has actually found everything he has always wanted. AU


Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lucius, Original Character, Ron
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: Story
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Depression Recovery
Takes Place: 4th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Bashing, Character Death, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 34 Completed: Yes Word count: 109411 Read: 14626 Published: 09 Nov 2023 Updated: 11 Nov 2023
Chapter 30 by TheLostBoys333

Harry found himself landing hard on the ground again, and knew he and Cedric had made it back. He heard cheers, but he couldn’t look up. He knew he had to, knew he had to explain. They hadn’t noticed yet, hadn’t noticed that only one of them was still alive. He dropped his head onto Cedric’s still chest, beginning to sob. He could hardly process what had just happened…so he cried.


A scream.


They were realizing.


“Harry!”


A hand on his arm made him finally look up at Dumbledore, though it was blurry through the grime, blood, and tears.


“Voldemort’s back,” he whispered. “He’s back.”


He began to sob again at the fear that appeared in the headmaster’s face. Dumbledore wasn’t supposed to be afraid.


“Rebenok.”


He turned his head the other way to find Alexei and Severus. His hand clenched on Cedric’s shirt as streams of tears streaked his dirt-covered face. “He asked me to bring him back. I had to. He would’ve been lost there. I had to.”


“It’s alright, child,” Severus said quietly. “You brought him home. He will be okay now.”


Harry shook his head. “He’s gone.”


“We know,” Alexei said, “but you brought him home to his father. He can be at peace and his father won’t live not knowing what happened to his son.”


Harry let his head fall to Cedric’s body again, his own body shaking with his sobs, pain, and quickly extinguishing energy. It was all becoming too much.


“It’s time to go,” Severus said, he and Alexei placing their hands on Harry’s shoulders and back.


“Severus!” Dumbledore shouted. “Your help is required.”


“Go,” Alexei said at Severus’ painfully torn expression. “I’ll take him. He’ll be okay.”


Severus nodded. “I will be back as soon as possible. Get some rest, child. Alexei will be with you.”


“Come on, rebenok,” Alexei said, gently tugging on Harry until he was sitting up. He met the tearful green eyes. “Let’s get you home.”


Harry nodded and let the vampire help him to his feet. They had only made it a few steps when they stopped. Though he was exhausted and honestly didn’t care much about what was going on around him, he looked at Alexei in question, wondering why they had stopped.


“It’s Lucius,” Alexei said and Harry looked at him with wide eyes. Lucius was back already? Was that a good sign? “He’s hurt.”


“Help him,” Harry said quietly and Alexei looked at him, surprised. “I’m okay here. There’s lots of people. I’ll wait or get someone else to bring me home. Go help him. It could be bad.”


Alexei hesitated for a while before finally agreeing. “Fine. I will come back for you.”


“I’ll be okay here.”


Alexei ran his fingers through Harry’s hair in comfort before taking off running. Harry watched him for a bit before turning back to the chaos that was happening behind him. Dumbledore, Severus, and all the other adults were talking in urgent, hushed tones. All the students were crowded in as close as they could be, the majority in tears as they gazed down at the body of one of Hogwarts’ own. His own heart stopped as he took in Mr. Diggory holding his son’s body close and rocking as he wailed in excruciating grief. He looked away, shutting his eyes tight as more tears fell. He wrapped his arms around himself, feeling like he might fall apart at any moment. How he wished he was with Severus or Alexei or Lucius. He wanted to be with them. He wanted them to be there and telling him everything was okay, even if it wasn’t.


“Come on, kid,” a voice said. “Get you out of here.”


It sounded familiar, the deep, gruff voice, but he couldn’t place it right then. All he knew was that it was offering him a way out of this place. He nodded and let the hand on his arm guide him from the transformed Quidditch Pitch and into the castle. He paid no attention to where he was being led until they had gone up several flights of stairs. He made himself look around as they were walking down a corridor and just barely managed to realize they had headed to the Defence Against the Dark Arts wing and into its classroom when he was shoved into Moody’s office.


He moved quickly as he heard the door lock and pressed his back to a wall, staring at Moody.


“So, you made it back,” Moody growled.


Harry said nothing. He made to grab his wand from his pocket, but was shocked to realize it wasn’t there. He must have dropped it when he had landed with Cedric. He gazed at Moody in fear.


“Did it happen? Has he returned?”


Harry unconsciously grabbed his sliced forearm with his other hand, drawing Moody’s intense gaze to it. The man quickly hobbled over to him and aggressively grabbed his injured arm, inspecting the deep cut. He hissed as Moody dragged a finger down the cut as though ensuring it was real. He yanked his arm from the man’s grasp, moving further away again.


“What was it like? What was He like?”


“A murderer,” Harry said, “like he’s always been.”


Moody growled and Harry backed up until he bumped into a large chest.


“Somehow he failed to kill you,” Moody said, “but I have you here. I could do it, I could do it for him. I could be the one to do what he has failed to so many times. I could kill Harry Potter.”


Harry swallowed, breathing quickly in fear, trying to figure out what he could possibly do. He didn’t have a wand to defend himself with and he had no other options. He had survived Voldemort just to die at the hands of this imposter.


He frowned slightly as Moody’s entire body jerked suddenly. His various extremities were twitching, his fake eye was rolling, his head was snapping to the sides, his tongue tick was becoming more and more frequent. He leaned backwards over the chest as far as he could to be as far away from Moody as possible, his frown deepening as the man’s body continued to jerk and twist and twitch. All of this didn’t stop him from pulling his wand and pointing it directly at Harry though.


He stared at the wand, having no way of getting out of the situation. He was going to die. He hadn’t returned after all. He hadn’t survived after all. He closed his eyes, thinking of Ron, at least having the comfort of being able to see his best friend again.


Avada Kedavra!”


He felt the curse hit him in the chest. The wind was knocked out of him and he inhaled sharply at the pain and shock. Pain coursed through his body, adding to what he had already been feeling. Heat also rose throughout his body, and he frowned again. Was this really what death felt like? It hurt, and it was draining and exhausting.


Harry!”


He forced his eyes open and blinked at the bright white light that engulfed his vision, but almost instantly disappeared. His gaze landed on a very frightened Severus and Alexei who were also with Dumbledore. Alexei and Dumbledore had their wands pointed at a frighteningly disfigured Moody who had collapsed in a chair. Severus rushed over to him when he had nearly collapsed on top of the chest he had been leaning against. As soon as his guardian touched his arm, he fell against Severus’ chest, absolutely exhausted. Something had just happened, but he had no idea what.


“What’s wrong with him?” he asked quietly, looking over at Moody.


“It would appear his Polyjuice Potion is wearing off,” Alexei said.


“So, it was him,” Harry said and Alexei nodded. “So, who is he? And where’s the real Moody?”


“We’ll find out soon enough,” Dumbledore said and they all turned to stare at Moody who was shaking viciously now, his bones snapping inside, and his skin crawling and shifting all over. The fake eye had already popped out, and was now rolling around the floor. It took a few long seconds, but soon the transformation was complete and a completely different person was sat in the chair, his head hanging on his chest with his dirty, lanky brown hair covering his face. Harry leaned forward slightly, trying to see who it was, but was saved the trouble when the man looked up. “Barty Crouch Jr.”


Harry’s eyes widened. Despite everything that had told him this exact thing, he was still shocked by the revelation. He watched as the man ripped back his right sleeve, revealing a pitch black and writing skull and snake tattoo. His eyes snapped to where Harry and Severus were standing.


“Show yours,” the man hissed. “He’s back. The Dark Lord has returned.”


Severus slowly pulled back his sleeve to look at his tattoo again. He knew what it looked like now, remembered the excruciating pain that had come with its revival. He showed his Dark Mark to everyone, revealing it, too, was dark and moving.


Harry looked down at his arm, realizing his cut was on his right arm, exactly where a Dark Mark would be.


“Where is Alastor Moody?” Dumbledore said. With a dark smirk, Crouch Jr. jerked his head in Harry and Severus’ direction.


Confused for only a second, Harry turned to look at the chest he had been leaning against. Ensuring Alexei had control of the man, Dumbledore came over to the chest and waved his wand. They all watched as it opened, extending upwards into several layers. When it eventually stopped, Dumbledore, Harry, and Severus stepped closer and peered inside. It went down extremely deep and, there at the bottom, was a human being.


“We will get you out shortly, Alastor,” Dumbledore called down.


“He’s been down there this whole year?” Harry asked.


“Probably longer,” Severus said and Dumbledore nodded in agreement.


Harry glanced back at Crouch Jr., only to have the man already looking directly at him. Their eyes met and the man’s face broke into an evil grin. Harry shuddered and pushed closer to his guardian.


“Headmaster, if you’ll excuse us,” Severus said, “I must get Harry to the Hospital Wing.”


“Yes, of course,” Dumbledore said. “We will talk soon, Harry.”


Harry didn’t say anything. He just let Severus lead him past Alexei who gave him a quick arm brush, and out of the office. They walked in silence as Severus supported him all the way to the Hospital Wing. He was ready to pass out. He was mentally exhausted, emotionally spent, and in extreme physical pain. He wanted to crawl into bed and just forget everything that had happened. He wanted to erase Cedric’s body and Voldemort’s face from his mind.


He leaned into Severus as everything caught up to him and as tears made their return. Severus didn’t say anything, but gently rubbed Harry’s arm in comfort. Harry was grateful for it. He couldn’t even imagine going through all of this alone. He had always done everything alone, handled everything without the support of an adult or…a parent. Now, he knew he would be completely shattered and lost if he had to do this alone. He couldn’t imagine life without Severus, Lucius, and Alexei. They were his…his family.


“Oh, Potter.”


Harry looked up and refocused at the woman’s voice, and realized they had made it to the Hospital Wing. He looked into the sad, slightly pitying face of Madam Pomfrey. He immediately looked away at the expression. He hated seeing it.


“Come,” she said, and motioned for Harry to follow her to a bed.


He sat gingerly, suddenly aware of every injury.


“Lay down, child,” Severus said quietly.


Harry nodded, hardly reacting when magic replaced his torn, dirty, bloody clothes with a crisp hospital gown. He lay down and unintentionally let out a sigh of relief. He had never been so happy to be in a bed. He rolled his head side to side as he waited for Pomfrey, noticing that plenty of beds had curtains drawn around them.


Who was here?


Fleur? Krum? Cedric? Lucius?


He wanted to ask, especially about Lucius, but he couldn’t muster the energy. Instead, he rolled his head again and just stared up at the ceiling. His eyes began to close.


“Mr. Potter,” Pomfrey interrupted and he forced his eyes open again. “Have you been hit with a Cruciatus Curse?”


He briefly flashed back to Voldemort’s torture in the graveyard. “Yes,” he whispered.


Pomfrey nodded. “Alright, you may sleep. I can get everything else from scans.”


“’Kay,” he muttered. He turned his head on the pillow to look at Severus, a question in his eyes.


“I’ll be here, child,” Severus promised. “I will not leave you.”


At that, Harry finally let his eyes close and he fell into a deep, but disturbed sleep.




“Cedric, no!” Harry yelled, watching the green light hit Cedric and watching his body fall to the ground. “Someone help!”


“Harry Potter.”


Harry turned around and found himself face to face with snake-like features. His scar seared with sharp pain and he glared to hide his fear.


“I will be the one to kill Harry Potter,” another voice said and Harry spun again. This time he faced a morphing face, half Moody and half Crouch Jr.


“This world will be mine,” Voldemort hissed.


“No, please,” Harry whispered, wracked with fear.


Agony tore through his body as Voldemort waved his wand and he experienced the Cruciatus Curse again.


Cedric was standing again. “Is this part of the game?” He was hit and fell dead again.


“Cedric!” Harry cried, feeling tears pour down his face. “Someone help me!”


Avada Kedavra!”


He was blinded by the lime-green light that came his way. He shut his eyes, waiting for the impact. 


“Harry!”


His eyes snapped open and he was no longer in the graveyard. He was in a familiar field, under a familiar tree. The sky was completely dark, and even the area around and under the tree had finally dimmed. He couldn’t help but notice one small spot of blue far off in the distance.


“Harry.”


He turned his head to look to his right and spotted Ron. Some relief filled him, but also sadness as the sight of Ron reminded him of all the death he had seen that year, and how much he had lost. He was shocked when, behind Ron and from behind the tree, Draco and Cedric stepped out to join them.


“Special circumstances and occasion,” Ron said. By that, Harry knew this was about to be the last time he would see Ron.


“I didn’t save any of you,” Harry said, tears flowing again.


“You weren’t supposed to,” Ron said.


“That’s not your job,” Draco said.


“You can’t save everyone,” Cedric added, “but you brought me home to my dad.”


“And you’ve saved Severus and my dad,” Draco said.


“And you’ve helped the twins,” Ron said.


“Voldemort’s back,” Harry said. “I couldn’t stop it. He’s back and it’s my fault. It’s all my fault.”


All three shook their heads.


“He was always going to come back,” Ron said.


“This war was always coming,” Draco said.


“The important thing is that you are ready,” Cedric said.


“But I’m not,” Harry said. “I barely survived a tournament. I can’t fight a war.”


“But you will,” Cedric said.


“And you can,” Draco said.


“Because of your family, you are so much stronger and will have so much help,” Ron said.


“Is that why I’m never going to see you again?” Harry asked.


Ron gave a sad smile. “I’ve done my job. You’re happy.”


“Am I?” Harry said. He didn’t feel happy.


“Right now, you are grieving, but you are happy. You have a family, you have a home, and you are loved,” Ron said.


“I don’t want you to leave,” Harry said.


“I’m always with you,” Ron said and gestured to the others. “We all are.”


“Take care of Severus and my father,” Draco said. “They need you as much as you need them. You have no idea how much they love you.”


“Trust them,” Ron said. “They just want to give you everything.”


“And, remember, we were not your fault and neither was Voldemort,” Cedric said.


Harry stared at them through flooded eyes.


“Time for us to go,” Ron said and the others began to walk away.


“Wait,” Harry said as Cedric disappeared, followed by Draco.


“You’re my best friend, Harry,” Ron said, “and I love you.”


“I love you, too,” Harry said, nearly sobbing.


“Goodbye, Harry, and good luck.”


“Ron!” Harry shouted as Ron turned to walk away as well and then disappeared into the air.




Harry blinked as he slowly woke up, trying to make his eyes adjust. He sighed quietly as remnants of his dream caused various types of pain. His whole body was aching still, but it was better than it had been. His head—his scar—was stinging, but he ignored it. He didn’t want to think about all that. He looked down at his throbbing arm, finding his cut forearm wrapped in thick bandages.


He carefully pushed himself up so he was sitting, and looked around. It seemed to be the middle of the night as the Wing was pretty dark aside from a few torches. Several beds were still occupied, some with drawn curtains and some not. Those that were open showed Fleur Delacour asleep and her sister in a chair, also asleep. In another was Viktor Krum, also asleep but alone. Two were hidden by curtains.


Then he saw a bed beside his had Lucius, sleeping heavily. He couldn’t see any physical injuries, but he knew that didn’t mean anything. He shuddered slightly as he remembered the Cruciatus Curse again. He felt a twinge of pain at the memory. He was just happy to see Lucius there and alive.


On the far side of Lucius’ bed was Alexei. The vampire seemed to be asleep, but he was proven wrong when the misty blue eyes opened. He quickly motioned for the vampire to stay where he was when Alexei began to rush over. The man listened and silently asked his question through his eyes. Harry nodded to indicate he was okay, giving a tiny smile. With a return nod, Alexei pointed past Harry who looked and found Severus sleeping in a chair that seemed extremely uncomfortable.


Harry smiled to himself as he felt the comfort of having the three men around him. Draco was right; they all loved him so much. Just like Ron said, they were his family and home now.


While he was reminiscing on that final dream meeting, he watched Severus’ eyes open. The man woke and realized Harry was also awake. He instantly left the chair and sat on the edge of Harry’s bed.


“How are you?” Severus asked quietly, brushing back Harry’s hair and cupping his cheek.


Harry moved forward and wrapped his arms around his guardian, hugging him tightly. “I’m okay,” he whispered and relished the tight hug he received in return.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3907