Shadows of the Forsaken by TheLostBoys333
Summary:

While the wizarding world struggles with the return of Voldemort, Harry struggles with the death of Sirius and his own out of control magic. His summer before 6th year is unlike any other as he trains alongside the Order, grows close to Severus Snape, of all people, and learns of an unfathomable fate assigned to one Draco Malfoy, a fate he is determined to stop. As the world falls apart, it seems Harry's life may finally come together.


Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Bill, Charlie, Draco, Dumbledore, Flitwick, Fred George, Ginny, Hermione, Lucius, Luna, McGonagall, Molly, Moody, Neville, Other, Remus, Ron, Shacklebolt, Tonks, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape Disciplines , Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: Story
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Adoption, Alternate Universe, Animagus!Harry, Depression Recovery
Takes Place: 6th summer, 6th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Bashing, Character Death, Emotional Abuse, Neglect, Physical Abuse, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: No Word count: 60736 Read: 7429 Published: 11 Nov 2023 Updated: 28 Apr 2024
Chapter 15 by TheLostBoys333
Author's Notes:

Enjoy this chapter! If you do, please, leave a review :)

Harry watched as Snape and Dumbledore talked quietly, but intently in the dining room corner, his leg bouncing anxiously. He winced at the ache in his head that had been sharp, but was now a dull throbbing and he massaged his sensitive scar. He also rubbed his chest at the staticky feeling of his magic, feeling it jump in short, sharp bursts while simultaneously bouncing around all the other magic in the vicinity. His Empathy Magic was overwhelmed, desperate to read everyone and everything against his will. His Mind Magic was pulling fuzzy thoughts and images from others, adding to his already racing thoughts and pained scar. His excess magic was mixing with Voldemort's remnants and leaking out despite his efforts to hold it in, charging the air around him.

"Harry, are you alright?" Charlie asked from beside him, his hand coming to rest on Harry's back after twitching, obviously feeling the magic around Harry.

"Drink and calm down, Potter."

Harry opened his eyes at Snape's voice, finding a vial floating in front of him. He frowned at it and at Snape where he still stood with Dumbledore.

"You're levitating things, mate," George told him from a couple seats away at the table and Harry glanced over his shoulder into the kitchen where everything on the countertops was floating a few centimeters above. 

Harry sighed and swallowed the potion, grimacing at the Calming Draught's flavour. When the vial disappeared from his hand and was replaced with a block of wood, he glanced over at Snape again, finding a pointed look. Understanding, he wrestled with his excess-Voldemort magic mixture until it wrapped around the wood and began to carve away. He blew out a small breath as he gained a small amount of relief from at least one of the things flooding and overwhelming him.

As he absently created a new snake from the wood, Harry watched Snape and Dumbledore again, just barely managing to read the various emotions in their magic through everyone else's. Snape was going through waves of anger, annoyance, concern, and contemplation while Dumbledore...

Harry narrowed his eyes at the headmaster, trying to identify the strange emotions in the old man's magic that felt like huge, crashing waves. When Dumbledore's eyes flicked to Harry with absolutely no sign of their usual sparkle, Harry furrowed his eyebrows. Their strange exchange was interrupted by the sound of the front door and footsteps as Kingsley, Moody, Lupin, and Tonks entered the kitchen. Harry sat up straight and stared at the Order members intently, desperate for one of them to start talking as they whispered to the headmaster.

"Harry, thank you for making us aware of these events, but, please, excuse us and join your friends upstairs. We must have a meeting," Dumbledore said and Harry gaped, seeing agreement in, thankfully, only a couple other faces. All the others except Lupin and Mrs. Weasley were looking at Harry and Dumbledore with mixtures of surprise, confusion, and uncertainty. Clearly, everyone else in the room aside from those three thought Harry should be allowed to stay or at least hear some of what had just happened.

"You're mad if you think I'm leaving," Harry retorted with some disbelief at the headmaster's gall.

"Harry, you are not an Order member," Dumbledore argued condescendingly. "You are too young and we cannot risk-"

"What? Voldemort watching?" Harry snapped, glaring at Dumbledore and ignoring the flinches from everyone else. "And I'm not too young to be your damned saviour, am I? And, yes, I mean that quite literally."

"My boy-"

"No!" Harry interrupted sharply. "You want me to die for you, then stop treating me like a child. Tell me about Luna."

"Harry, listen to-" Lupin tried to interject placatingly and Harry shot the werewolf a withering glare.

"No, you listen. I am the only reason you knew about any of this at all," Harry snapped angrily. "Now, tell me what's happened to Luna."

"We found her," Kingsley stepped in, cutting off anymore attempts to dismiss Harry. "She was hurt, but not too severely. She managed to escape the attack and hide. The home, however, is gone. It was burned to the ground. There is nothing left."

"Where is she now?" Harry asked, his stomach twisting with anxiety over the Ravenclaw.

"Shell Cottage with Bill and Fleur," Tonks replied. "It's an Order safe house."

"She'll stay there until school starts," Kingsley added.

Harry breathed a quiet sigh of relief, and nodded in understanding and appreciation for being informed. He wasn't sure why he felt so worried about Luna aside from basic human decency. He'd only met her the previous year, but she had been a friend in ways no one else had been. She'd believed him, understood him, and given him a perspective he hadn't even realized he'd needed. She was something incredible and they were fools if they ignored that.

He met Dumbledore's hard gaze before the headmaster turned to the Order and gathered more quiet information. They were all dismissed a few minutes later and Harry watched them all leave except for Snape and Dumbledore. Still bleeding his magic into his forming snake, Harry sat back with his arms crossed and he stared at Dumbledore, jaw clenched.

"I was unaware you were still having visions," Dumbledore said, sounding unimpressed.

"Yeah, well, how would you considering you just dump me places and forget about me until convenient for you," Harry sneered.

"Harry-"

"Trust me, there's a lot of things you are unaware of," Harry taunted. "Sucks to be kept in the dark, doesn't it?"

He saw the warning look Snape sent him and he sighed. Dumbledore stared at him, hard and searching.

"It would seem we have a situation to figure out," Dumbledore said, switching focus, and Harry frowned, glancing at Snape when he felt the annoyance rumble in the man's magic. "It is concerning that Voldemort has gotten close to recognizing his horcrux in you."

Harry arched a judgmental eyebrow. "Oh, so, that's been a fun little fact just for you, has it?"

He saw a flash in Dumbledore's eyes that he was certain was suppressed anger.

"He cannot know of it, not yet."

Not yet? Harry narrowed his eyes at the headmaster again.

"As such," Dumbledore turned to Snape, "Severus, you will not follow this order and this...arrangement the two of you have had must come to an end."

Harry stared in angry disbelief while Snape looked suspiciously puzzled.

"Headmaster, he is expecting me to do this," Snape said guardedly. "The consequences for disobeying would be severe."

More like deadly, Harry thought sardonically as Dumbledore continued to look between them far too casually, as though he knew exactly how the conversation was going to go.

"It could be a trap, a way to test and discover your true loyalties. He could see you through Harry as he already has and who knows what else. We do not know the true extent of what Voldemort can do through Harry," Dumbledore told them.

Harry couldn't help but scowl again. "And whose fault is that?"

Snape gave him another pointed look while Dumbledore gazed at him with very clear annoyed disappointment.

"This between you cannot continue," Dumbledore continued. "Additionally, it is dangerous to encourage this magic of yours, my boy. We do not know what it is capable of, especially with the influence of a horcrux. It may be possible for Voldemort to use your magic, against you or someone else," Dumbledore said. "Do you really want to put others at risk? Again?"

Harry clenched his jaw and, despite being used on his wooden snake, his magic burst briefly and the teacup Mrs. Weasley had given him but he hadn't touched exploded. The cold tea flowed around the shattered porcelain pieces and off the table, dripping onto the floor as Harry stared into the steely blue eyes.

"Quite the concerning display," Dumbledore said, clasping his hands in front of him. "I believe it will be best for you to take Suppressant Potions. I'd hoped this would no longer be a problem, that you would have gained control, but apparently not. We cannot have you return to Hogwarts with such magic and lack of control. I cannot have the students at such risk."

Harry ground his teeth together so hard it hurt. "I don't think I'm the biggest threat to Hogwarts, Headmaster, or have you conveniently forgotten the madman tearing our world apart?"

Dumbledore heaved a quiet, but deep breath and Harry felt the anger growing stronger in the old man's magic. They stared at each other for a long while again, what remained of their relationship quickly turning to ash.

"These potions will suppress your magic and likely the horcrux as well. Voldemort will be unable to see the horcrux and any power it has will be locked away. You should be unable to feel it or interact with it, and it will be unable to consume you as it did the other day when you discovered it," Dumbledore explained, completely ignoring Harry's comment.

Harry's first thought was why this hadn't been an option before rather than throwing him into the torturous lessons with Snape and ignoring him until it got someone killed. His second thought was Dumbledore obviously didn't know about the locket and a quick glance at Snape told him to keep it between them. His final thought was complete outrage.

"You are completely mad if you believe for one second that I am taking any kind of Suppressant Potions. I am not hiding my magic; I'm going to use it. I'm handling it and I am doing so because of Professor Snape," Harry snapped. "You also lost the right to give a damn about anything to do with the horcrux when you chose to hide it from me and lied to me for damn near six years."

"Harry-"

Harry got to his feet, kicking away his chair aggressively. "No. You are done telling me what to do. You are done controlling my life. I am going to learn everything you've kept from me and I will fight my way. If he is willing, I am going to do this with Professor Snape because, somehow, he's apparently the only one that doesn't actually expect me to die or want me to and, I dunno, it sounds better than your alternative." He glowered at Dumbledore, clutching his wooden snake tightly in his fist. "If I die, I die, but it's not going to be because of or for you. Congratulations, Headmaster. You just lost yourself a personal saviour to sacrifice."

He stormed to the doorway, but paused and turned back to the two men. Dumbledore's eyes and magic were alight with anger, but Harry looked at Snape questioningly. He knew the loyalty Snape had to the headmaster, knew the Potions Master sought his long-held desperate desire for redemption through the old man's plans, but he also knew the promise Snape had made him. As Snape gazed back at him, he asked it silently. He wouldn't make the man do anything, wouldn't make Snape turn his back on the man that had offered him a way forward, wouldn't expect anything to truly change after their history, their dark lives, but he would ask. He would ask for that promise.

So, he stared and he waited, the question hanging silently between them. His Mind Magic picked up the swirling thoughts, allowing him to watch a younger Snape sob in despair as Dumbledore gazed at him with contempt and then as he himself sobbed in despair in Snape's arms. He felt the tremble of uncertainty in the man's magic. He just held the dark eyes until Snape turned to Dumbledore, the uncertainty turning to determination that made the magic spark instead of tremble.

"I told you I would find another way, Albus," Snape said and Harry straightened minutely, allowing himself to hope just slightly as his eyes flicked between the two men.

"Severus, the risks-"

"Are no different to those I have faced up to this point," Snape interrupted. "He is worth the risks."

Harry gazed at the professor in hesitant awe.

"You are losing sight of our greater good," Dumbledore said with a deep frown.

Snape's magic grew sharp with the protectiveness that was naturally a part of it and the Potions Master shook his head at Dumbledore slowly, his face tight. Harry watched the man walk over to him, stopping behind him and looking back at the headmaster.

"No, Albus," Snape said quietly. "I have simply decided on a different greater good."

"And your redemption?" Dumbledore queried and Harry glared at the old man.

"The one thing you were right about," Snape replied. "I will find it through him."

A hand came to rest on Harry's back, pushing just slightly, and, with one last glance at Dumbledore, he followed its guidance. With Snape behind him, they headed upstairs and into Harry's room silently. Harry was pushed gently onto the bed and Snape turned the discarded chair to face him, sitting. Still pushing magic into the snake he was turning over in his hands, Harry watched as Snape reached towards him and pushed his hair aside to examine his scar again.

"You can tell me about those risks now," Harry said lightly to break their silence and grinned at the dry look he received.

"Idiot," Snape muttered, dropping his hands and staring at him. "Did you at least think before jumping?"

"I did." Harry nodded. "Just probably not about what you would have wanted."

He snickered when Snape rolled his eyes to the ceiling and muttered something that sounded a lot like, "Bloody imbecile of a Gryffindor." He dropped his eyes to his snake briefly, for a moment impressed by how detailed it was, before looking back up at Snape. The man looked exhausted and there were strain lines in his face that Harry knew were from hiding pain. It made him think back to all that had happened while he'd been in Snape's head during the meeting, remembering the pain he'd experienced alongside the man before...

"It is called Mind Hunting," Snape said and Harry looked up at him again, having not expected the professor to begin the conversation without any provocation. "It is a rare skill, a myth-"

Harry held up a hand to the professor and shook his head, seeing the raised eyebrow. "No, just no. Don't say it's a myth or a legend or rare or unheard of. I'm done being a freak."

Snape's lips curved into a small smirk full of amusement. "I have told you before that you are no freak, Potter. However, yes, it is considered a myth within Mind Magic."

Harry huffed and threw himself heavily against his pillow. "Fine. Tell me all about the nonexistent magical skill that I apparently have and no need to do it with such enthusiasm."

He scowled at the strong buzz in the air from the amusement in Snape's magic

"Do stop pouting," Snape drawled humourously and Harry rolled his eyes. "Now, it is true, Mind Hunting is considered a myth. It has only ever been thought of, never seen or experienced or achieved. It is said that with the correct connection, one could theoretically travel through the minds of anyone in possession of the connection. It is also said that whomever is capable of this could also control those they are able to travel through while also seeing inside their minds beyond any mental shields or barriers erected."

"So, are we saying that this mythical connection is the connection between my horcrux and anyone with a Dark Mark?" Harry questioned aloud, looking at Snape curiously.

"I can confirm nothing," Snape told him. "I know the concept, but in little detail and, obviously, I have no examples to compare."

"Is there any way for us to find out more?" Harry asked.

Snape nodded. "I have some literature on the myth I can study."

"What are the risks then?" 

"All assumed and of my own opinion based on what I do know of the myth and what we have now experienced," Snape replied. "You could easily be identified in one's mind which would be a danger on its own. It is possible you could get trapped in another's mind, breaking you from your own. It is even possible you could be followed back into your mind. The risk to your own mind is astronomical. Additionally, you clearly feel anything that is done to the person you are Hunting."

Harry scrunched his nose. "I hate the term. ‘Hunting' sounds...sinister."

"Most of the literature on the skill is also quite sinister," Snape pointed out. "It is not what one would call a Light bit of magic. However, speaking of that last point. You felt the Cruciatus I was under, but it seemed to ease in severity. What did you do?"

Harry shrugged a shoulder. "You're asking that like I have any idea what I'm doing in general."

Snape huffed at him. "I would not admit to your inability to think rationally."

"Eh, that's what I have you for," Harry said with mock dismissiveness and grinned at Snape's minor irritation. "Anyway, I don't really know. I felt some kind of what I assume was magic grow and then it just seemed to cover your mind where I was and you, I guess."

Snape gazed at him contemplatively. "It almost sounds as though you absorbed the Dark Lord's magic and returned it to him through your connection, taking the worst of the pain from me."

"I can protect you?" Harry asked, immediately wanting to use the ability as much as possible. Snape had done far more protecting than he ever should have had to; it was time he was protected as he risked his life.

Snape eyed him. "You are to do no such thing."

"But-"

"The risks, Potter," Snape interrupted. "If you are discovered in my mind and discovered protecting me using such a connection, I can only imagine what will be done to the both of us. You will not absorb anymore magic cast on me, understand?"

Harry chewed the inside of his cheek and gave a stiff nod. The stare he got told him Snape was under no illusions that he had made any real promise to obey, but, at least for the moment, he was willing to pretend. Harry was also willing to just pretend, quickly jumping to the next topic he had in mind.

"What about Malfoy?"

Snape looked at him, slightly confused and exasperated. "What about him?"

"He's going to die," Harry replied as though it were obvious. "He has two tasks and he can't complete them. We can't let him."

"You are not to interfere," Snape told him.

"He's been told to go after Luna," Harry argued. "I can't let anything happen to her."

"What is so important about Miss Lovegood?" Snape asked.

"Voldemort knew her mother ages ago. Apparently, her mother stole something from him, a diadem, and he wants it back. He thinks Luna or her father know something," Harry explained and Snape's eyebrows came together in thought. "Malfoy wants help."

"What do you mean?"

"When I went into his mind, I heard him. He is terrified and he wants help. He wants to ask you, but he doesn't know if you're loyal to Voldemort or not, and he doesn't know how without getting caught," Harry told him. "He doesn't want to do any of this, but, if he doesn't, he'll die. Voldemort will kill him."

Snape sighed and leaned back in the chair, crossing his legs and arms as he thought. "I am unsure what I can do."

"What about me?" Harry suggested. "Maybe I can help him. If I have this ability, this Mind Hunting, shouldn't I use it?"

"Not at the expense of your own safety and life," Snape said sternly. 

"So, I wait until we're at Hogwarts," Harry said quickly. "I talk to Malfoy there. I have to do something, Professor."

"You don't, actually."

"Luna was there for me last year," Harry told him. "I am not leaving her to this."

Snape sighed again, uncrossing his arms to rub his eyes. Harry glanced at the clock at the action, realizing it was nearly three in the morning.

"We will discuss this all another time after we learn more about," Snape blew out an uncharacteristically exhausted breath, "everything."

Sympathetic and recognizing his own exhaustion, Harry nodded. He waved his hand over himself to change his clothes to pajamas and squirmed around until he was under his blanket.

"Professor?" Harry said and Snape looked at him again. "Thank you for keeping your promise."

Snape gazed at him for several moments before his expression softened. "I said I would."

"It's easy to say you will, not so easy to actually do it," Harry countered. "You're the only one that's ever done it."

Snape stared at him again before clearing his throat as though uncomfortable. "You will need to settle your magic if you wish to sleep."

Harry nodded, and placed his newest snake and glasses on the nightstand.

"Honestly, what are you making?" Snape asked, examining the wooden reptile.

"You'll see," Harry replied with a grin as he closed his eyes.

"I assume you have been experiencing an abundance of others' thoughts."

Harry nodded once again.

"I want you to fill your mindscape with mist so you are unable to see anything," Snape instructed. "Submerge yourself in this mist. Allow it to hide everything, internal and external. Allow yourself to relax as it protects you."

Harry listened to Snape's low, calming voice as he sank into his mindscape. Everything was hyperactive; the orbs of his thoughts and memories racing around, trees were rustling with the aggressive wind of magic blowing, the lake was rippling almost violently, and the green mist of the horcrux was blanketing the area.

As he gazed around, Snape's voice continued to echo lightly, sounding distant, and he moved to sit at the water's edge. He crossed his legs and gazed at the rippling water as the horcrux slipped around him and his magic brushed through his hair. Taking a deep breath, he listened to the professor's gentle instruction and began to imagine the fog that often formed over the Black Lake and washed over the Hogwarts grounds, imagining the same thing happen in his forest.

There was a delay before anything happened, but, soon, the circles on the lake began to slow and a grey mist began to creep over the edges of the water. It swirled around, wafting across the ground to reach all the corners of his mind. He watched as it expanded outwards, rose into the air, and grew thick and dark. It encompassed all the thoughts and memories and images flying around, and swallowed the mist of the horcrux. Only the area immediately around him remained uncovered and he breathed deeply as everything calmed, quieting. 

Once his mindscape was nearly completely engulfed, Harry laid back on the grass and gazed up at the dark sky. There were no stars or moon, nothing to provide light. Yet, the longer he stared and the more relaxed he became, he began to notice something new. There, above him, was one small dot of light, shimmering in the surrounding dark. He gazed at it, feeling the protective mist around him and listening to the deep timber of Snape's voice still echoing distantly. As he relaxed, as he stared, the dot of light grew, casting a tiny stream of light down onto him. It warmed him where it touched and he realized...

He drifted off in that light, the light that had never before touched his life since he was a year old, and, as he did, he heard one final deep murmur.

"I will protect you and take care of you."

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3911