The Four Swords of Hogwarts by TheLostBoys333
Summary:

One to defeat fear. One to discover truth. One to feel love. One to accept life. Each will bear a sword and embody the essence of Hogwarts. Together as one, the Four Heroes of Hogwarts will unite the world against the true Dark Lord. Together as one, the Heroes will defeat the binding darkness and restore Hogwarts to the wonder her creators intended her to be.


Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Other, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape Disciplines , Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Tragedy
Media Type: Story
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th Year
Warnings: Character Bashing, Character Death, Out of Character, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 39 Completed: Yes Word count: 144283 Read: 11465 Published: 11 Nov 2023 Updated: 26 Nov 2023
Chapter 25: Brewing for the Chase by TheLostBoys333
Author's Notes:

Minor character deaths. A fairly calm chapter as the rebellion finally works towards Dream Chasing and Harry witnesses something that gives him an idea for a possible sword location. If you enjoy, leave a review!

I am deeply saddened to inform you of the unfortunate passing of both Robert Stobey and Daphne Greengrass…


Harry screamed in rage as he picked up handfuls of parchments and threw them as hard as possible, scattering them throughout the Library. He grabbed books—priceless and delicate tomes—and chucked them against the stone walls, a couple so hard their spines completely broke and pages exploded out of them. Tears poured down his face and magic crackled in the air, seeping out of him. He ignored the Founders crowded into their frame trying to console him and the burning of his pendant with desperate messages on his wrist.


He couldn’t do it. He couldn’t live with letting people die. He couldn’t keep fighting when it wasn’t making a difference. He couldn’t be the only one that knew the truth. He didn’t want to know anymore!


“Potter!”


He spun, fully prepared to curse whoever was stupid enough to be there, but faltered when he found Draco. The Slytherin’s eyes were wide with concern and Harry choked on a sob because Draco didn’t even remember, but was still worried about him. Draco didn’t know and he couldn’t leave his brother like that. Now he did know, he wanted—needed—his life and family back.


Draco had slowly stepped closer and Harry threw his arms around the boy’s neck, holding tight as Draco stumbled slightly at the impact. He could feel the Slytherin’s hands fluttering, unsure what to do, before, eventually, settling lightly on his back.


They stood in their embrace for a long while, Harry reminding himself why he had to keep going. He was grateful that, even without his memories, Draco willingly stayed in their embrace, clearly sensing what Harry needed. Eventually, Harry stepped back, releasing Draco who was still watching him with concern and now a touch of confusion.


“Thanks,” Harry said with a small smile and then gazed around the Library. He sighed at the mess of parchments and damaged books. He looked up at the Founders. “Sorry.”


“We, too, are devastated at the loss of more of our precious children,” Hufflepuff said, her face sad.


Harry was rocked with another wave of pain.


“You must continue your task,” Gryffindor said.


“It is still worth it,” Slytherin said.


Harry sighed again and nodded.


“Do not lose hope,” Ravenclaw said, “but, if you do, we have more than enough for you.”


Harry gave them a small smile, warm with their faith. He turned to the mess he’d made and began moving around, slowly picking up the victims of his rage and grief. He looked over his shoulder and found Draco helping collect the parchments and books, gathering the multitude of pages that had fallen from the broken books. They worked quietly, Draco eventually sitting to put book pages back in order.


“Did you know we’re supposed to be able to go into each other’s common rooms and dorms?” Harry said, breaking the silence suddenly and making Draco’s head pop up.


“What?” Draco said, frowning in confusion.


Harry gave a half-smile. “We’re supposed to be able to go into each other’s dorms,” he repeated. “You’ve been in Gryffindor Tower.”


He couldn’t help but chuckle at the slight look of disgust that crossed the Slytherin’s face.


“You’re serious?” Draco said.


Harry nodded. “You came up after the third task, after…Cedric,” he said, losing himself temporarily in the graveyard once again. “That was the last time anyway. Fourth year was the last time any Mind Magic was broken until this year.”


“I wish I remembered,” Draco said, shuffling through pages slightly aggressively.


“I know,” Harry said sympathetically. “I do too.”


“Everything alright in here, boys?”


Harry and Draco looked at the doorway to find Severus looking at them with a raised eyebrow. Harry saw Draco wince and figured he likely had a memory flash as Severus often referred to them as ‘boys’ in that fond, often amused tone. He caught the flash in Severus’ eye and knew his father had recognized the same thing. He knew what it was like to be around his father and brother and not have them remember him, but what was it like for Severus not to have his son remember him? He felt his face fall.


“We’re fine, Professor,” Harry said somewhat dully. “I lost it a bit at the…news and Dr-Malfoy was just helping me clean up.”


More pain as well as understanding passed through Severus’ eyes. “Very well. I must ask you to resume later as now is an opportune time to brew the Dream Chasing potion.”


Harry perked up. It had been a week and a half since his experience with Dumbledore and the hourglass. Knowing their magic could be drained through their marks, Harry and Severus had become desperate to finally attempt Dream Chasing. However, Dumbledore had been keeping Severus extra busy as well as the both of them in periodic pain to try and distract them. They needed Severus to get through as much of the complex potion as possible before entrusting it to Harry, Hermione, Draco, and Luna. It was an eleven-hour process with virtually no room for error on timing, technique, or ingredient.


“Come,” Severus said and led the way to yet another secret of the Chamber they had discovered a few weeks earlier: Slytherin’s personal lab. It had been an extraordinary find and an overwhelming surprise for Severus who, for the first time ever, had been rendered speechless.


“How long have you got?” Harry asked as they wound through tunnels.


“Five hours at most,” Severus said. “Dumbledore has gone to the Ministry and I have claimed a need to brew personal and infirmary restock, but that never takes longer than five hours.”


“Will he come see you while you’re supposed to be brewing?” Harry asked.


Severus shook his head. “No, he knows I do not respond to visitors while brewing.”


“So, we have to cover six hours of the brew time,” Draco said. “That’s not terrible.”


“The complexity will likely change your mind,” Severus said and they turned into a room.


There was a single large, long table with a large, dark cauldron set up. The rounded walls had shelves of ingredients, perfectly preserved for a thousand years. A couple of other cauldrons sat in a cupboard with different tools that were all drastically different from what they used in class. Hermione and Luna were already there and gave them smiles as they entered. They all moved to stand in front of the table while Severus stood behind the cauldron.


“As I have told Mr. Potter and Mr. Malfoy, I can dedicate five hours of my time to this potion without my absence being noticed,” Severus began. “I have the remaining six hours already divided between you according to your skills. Mr. Malfoy will be the first to take over and will brew for two hours. Ms. Granger, you will be second and brew for an hour and forty-five minutes. Mr. Potter and Ms. Lovegood, you will work together to finish off the potion, brewing for two hours and fifteen minutes.”


They all nodded at him, understanding.


“I will have the ingredients prepared and set out with clear labels,” Severus continued. “I will also have a timer set to help as this potion is very particular in its timing.”


They all nodded again.


“This potion is volatile,” Severus said. “As such, I strongly recommend Mr. Malfoy and Ms. Granger bring someone trustworthy to your sessions so you have assistance in the event something goes wrong.”


“Yes, sir,” Hermione said while Draco nodded.


“When you have twenty minutes left in your session, use the bracelet to message the next brewer,” Severus said, “and when you get your message, you must come here immediately.”


They looked at each other and Severus seriously, feeling the weight of the task. Harry shifted uncomfortably as nerves began twisting his stomach.


“As you will each be disappearing for extended periods, it is important that you act normal, but make sure you are seen until you are called for your session,” Severus said. “However, before you go and I begin, I will go through the potion and your section with each of you. If you are confused about anything, you must ask your questions now. I will be unable to respond to messages or come down here to help. Understand?”


“Yes, sir,” they chorused.


“Very good,” Severus said. “Mr. Malfoy.”


Draco circled the table to stand next to Severus and the man began to explain each step of the potion in depth. Hermione and Luna started up a quiet conversation and Harry wandered to the doorway. He leaned against the circular opening and surreptitiously—he hoped—rubbed his prickling scar. It was a constant feeling now and it kept him on edge, just waiting for the explosion of pain that would indicate his magic being drained. It seemed like it had become a battle between him and Dumbledore, trying to make the other slip up that they knew what was going on while pretending they didn’t know a thing. He was so afraid of what could happen if Dumbledore found out they knew or decided to act on what he already knew. He was terrified of losing his friends, his brother, his father. He didn’t know how to protect them and he didn’t know how much longer they had to try and fix everything.


He sighed and rubbed his scar again, slightly more aggressively.


“Mr. Potter and Ms. Lovegood,” Severus said.


Harry turned, managing to catch the concern in Severus’ eyes as his father looked at him. He gave the man a tiny smile and crossed the lab to stand beside Severus and Luna. He put all of his focus on Severus’ explanation of the fifteen directions he and Luna would have to follow to complete the potion. They both asked questions and clarified details, but it seemed to do nothing more than increase the anxious twisting of his stomach. It was hovering on the edge of painful now and he was feeling ill.


“What do we do when the potion is complete, Professor?” Luna asked.


“Summon me immediately,” Severus said. “It will be after three in the morning and I do not want you to risk wandering the halls.”


“I can bring my invisibility cloak,” Harry said. “Luna can use it to get back to Ravenclaw and I can stay down here. Out after curfew is normal for me so Dumbledore won’t find it strange.”


Severus gave him a look of disapproval before giving a sharp nod. “Very well, but still summon me so I can take care of the potion.”


Harry and Luna nodded their agreement.


“Any other questions?” Severus asked and they all shook their heads. “Then go, be seen, but be ready for your section.”


Hermione, Draco, and Luna left, discussing the plan and schedule. It sounded like they were coming up with ideas for where they could each go that were normal for them, would allow them to be seen, but would also keep them close to a Chamber entrance. It wasn’t long before their voices faded away to nothing.


“Harry?” Severus said and he looked up at his father before dropping his eyes to the work station.


“Are you sure this is a good idea?” Harry said, looking over the twenty-three ingredients waiting to be prepared and the parchments that held the rewritten forty-eight steps.


“It is your idea, if I recall,” Severus said.


“Doesn’t mean it’s a good one,” Harry said. “My ideas are rarely good ones. Surely you remember.”


“The ideas of children are often lacking, but you have had many good ideas. The majority of the negative consequences were not purely a result of your ideas, but due to Dumbledore’s machinations,” Severus said.


“Maybe, but, this,” Harry said, gesturing at the station. “I don’t think I can do this. I’m no good at Potions, you know that. I’m not good enough—”


“No more of that,” Severus interrupted and pulled over a stool to sit on, making him eye level with Harry. He held out his hands and Harry allowed his to be grabbed gently, but firmly, and allowed the gentle tugging that brought him into his father’s space. “I have complete faith in you and in your friends. While we have no other choice, this idea of yours is also our best choice. You are good enough, child. You have always been good enough.”


Harry stared into Severus’ dark eyes, his own slightly teary from, first, his anxiety and, now, from his father’s conviction in him. He nodded and wrapped his arms around Severus’ neck, the man’s arms instantly coming around him. He smiled into his father’s shoulder when he felt the kiss pressed to his temple.


“You must go now,” Severus said. “I must get started.”


Harry nodded against Severus’ shoulder, squeezed once more, and then stepped back. He smiled at the hand that cupped his cheek.


“Go,” Severus said quietly and released him.


Harry watched his father get to work for a moment before leaving. He headed out the tunnel that would bring him out to the mirror on the fourth floor near History of Magic. He stepped through the mirror when the corridor was empty and began the walk up to Gryffindor Tower, his mind still in the Chamber with his father. He trusted Severus’ skills as a Potions Master, but he was still worried. Severus had said it was one of the most complicated potions he’d ever encountered and over half of it had to be brewed by students.


He dragged his fingers through his hair and was about to turn down the corridor that would take him to the part of the Grand Staircase that led to Gryffindor Tower when he heard a loud moan. He stopped and frowned, gazing down the continuation of the corridor. It was an empty hall, devoid of statues, suits of armour, and portraits, and there were no other students. Confused, he continued down the hall only to stop in his tracks as he rounded the corner, his eyes wide.


In the middle of the hall was a ghost, a young man who looked to be from Victorian times and the upper class. Other students were around, staring at the ghost in horror. The ghost seemed to be fading in and out of existence all while seemingly acting out the most horrible scene. There was no one else with him and no weapons, yet it was obvious that the man was being stabbed over and over, his arms and legs apparently restrained in a spread-eagle fashion. The ghost was screaming and moaning with every stab until it stopped and he stared, eyes dead. harry and the others jumped when, a few seconds later, the ghost’s eyes widened and he let out an unearthly scream before dissolving into the air, the echo of his scream fading away with him.


Most of the other students scurried off, some in tears, while Harry stood, frozen, and staring at where the ghost had been.


What the hell had just happened?


“Oh, poor Daniel.”


Harry spun around at the voice, startled to find Nearly Headless Nick floating behind him, his pearly white face sad.


“What happened?” Harry asked, glancing back down the hall.


“That was a ghost death,” Nick said.


“But you’re already dead,” Harry said pointedly.


“Yes, but we still exist on this plane in this form,” Nick said. “That is what happens when a ghost is forced to move on before they are ready.”


“What can do that?” Harry asked.


“There are several reasons for a ghost’s existence and the location of their haunt,” Nick said. “Ghosts are often born of regret and great violence. The location of a haunt can be the place of death, the place of burial, the tie to a physical object, or simply due to the magic level. That last one is why many of the ghosts are here at Hogwarts. Unfortunately, that also means the magic here is their only tie to this world.”


“Wait, so, because the magic is failing, ghosts are going to…die?” Harry said and Nick nodded. “Can they come back?”


“No, dear boy. Ghost death is final,” Nick said, his tone regretful.


“What about the Founders?” Harry said, thinking of the portraits deep below him where the Founders’ ghosts were bound. “It’s their magic. What happens to them?”


“I am unsure,” Nick said. “It is their magic, but they are connected to the school itself as well as they were buried here.”


Harry looked at Nick sharply. “What? Where?”


“I don’t know, dear boy,” Nick said. “No one has ever found their graves.”


Nick floated away, lamenting the loss of ‘poor, poor Daniel’, while Harry watched, his mind racing. He ran the way he had come, but headed down the Grand Staircase to reach the second floor with the library. He dashed through, ignoring the admonishments of Madam Pince, until he found Hermione at a table surrounded by books. She jumped as he pulled out a chair and sat beside her.


“Harry!” she gasped. “Is everything okay?”


“Did you know the Founders were buried here at the school?” Harry asked, ignoring her concern.


Her eyebrows furrowed. “They were? I’ve never come across anything like that.”


“Nick just told me,” Harry said. “He doesn’t know where, but he said they’re here on the grounds.”


“How strange it wouldn’t be in Hogwarts, A History or the Founders’ Compendium,” Hermione said. “Say they are, why would it matter?”


“Maybe something was hidden there, a sword or a horcrux,” Harry said.


“Would Dumbledore really have another of either one so close to the school?” Hermione asked.


“If no one else has ever known about it, definitely,” Harry said. “Six years and it’s never been mentioned by anyone. Even the Chamber of Secrets was mentioned. Even the ghosts don’t know anything about this.”


“That does make it a likely hiding place,” Hermione conceded thoughtfully, “but, if it does exist and no one knows about it, how do we find it?”


Harry sat back in a slump and with a sigh. That did seem to keep being the question, didn’t it?




Harry put a hand back and on Luna’s arm to press her against the wall and make them both freeze as McGonagall brushed past them. He watched the professor until she had turned a corner out of sight before removing his hand from Luna. He gestured to keep moving and they moved their way through the corridors as quick as possible while crouched awkwardly and Luna nearly on his heels to ensure they remained covered by the invisibility cloak. They dipped into an alcove and slipped through the false wall at the back, stepping into a short corridor made of sand-coloured bricks inscribed with hieroglyphs. Safe in the Hieroglyphic Hall, Harry pulled the cloak off of them, allowing them to straighten and for Luna to release his jumper, taking a step back. She placed her palm over an inscribed Ouroboros with green and silver on the tips of each scale. There was no clear reaction, but Harry knew the snake would have spun in a circle under her hand. There was a quiet click and Luna pulled her hand away. The stone in the center of the Ouroboros had sunk in and she was able to hook her fingers in, pulling a small rectangle of the wall open like a door.


They slipped through and quickly descended the seemingly never-ending stairs. Finally, they reached the bottom and walked easily through the false wall into a random, empty Chamber room. They hurried through the tunnels, depositing the cloak in the Library and continuing onto the lab.


It was extraordinarily warm considering how far underground they were, making Harry roll up the sleeves of his jumper and Luna pulled her hair into a high ponytail. A blue smoke was filling the room as it wafted over the sides of the obsidian cauldron. Hermione, her hair also pulled back, was performing a complicated stirring pattern while adding a vial of something clear one drop at a time with each completion of the pattern.


None of them spoke, letting Hermione finish up her portion of the brewing. Harry let his eyes roam over the remaining ingredients, trying to identify them from where he was and remember what had to be done with each. He couldn’t mess this up. They needed this potion and he couldn’t disappoint Severus.


A sharp ringing echoed in the room and Harry looked at Hermione and the cauldron. The smoke had disappeared and the fire beneath the cauldron lowered, leaving the potion inside simmering on a nearly black colour.


“You have some time before your portion starts,” Hermione said. “The alarm will go off again in eight minutes and twenty-one seconds. It’s been going well so far. Professor Snape’s preparation for us has been wonderful.”


“Thanks, Hermione,” Harry said, he and Luna moving to take her place behind the cauldron. “Make sure to check the map.”


“I will,” Hermione said. “Good night and good luck.”


Harry turned his attention to the directions, taking the remaining six minutes to read them carefully. Luna would be responsible for stirring and the heat while Harry would be responsible for adding the ingredients. Many of their steps were separated by mere seconds and dividing the work allowed them to give their dull focus to each task rather than one of them trying to juggle everything.


The alarm went off and they jumped in, Harry reading their first step clearly while they both moved smoothly to complete it while he spoke. They continued on in the same manner, making their way through the seconds and minutes, the patterns and temperatures. Slowly, but steadily, the ingredients disappeared.


Heads of pansies…raven feathers…grated ginseng…dried, smoked, and burned sage…powdered fluorite…liquified lapis lazuli…shredded forget-me-nots…crushed obsidian…eyes of the glawakus…


They watched the colour of the potion change, growing steadily lighter until it was a lavender shade and a purple haze filled the lab. He added the final ingredient—the eyes—and watched Luna stir in a clockwise circle with a cross inside—the Ailm from Celtic lore, he’d learned—while lowering the fire by a degree after every completed cycle. Eventually, the fire was out and the final alarm sounded, marking the end of the process.


Luna stepped back, pushing damp hair out of her eyes, and Harry let himself sink onto the stool next to him. They had managed it, had succeeded at helping to brew a complex potion that would help save them.


“We should call for the professor, Harry,” Luna said, breaking through Harry’s exhaustion.


“Right,” Harry said and pressed two fingers to his pendant, creating a message and sending it to Severus.


Finished.


“You did very well,” Luna said as they waited for Severus.


“Thanks, Luna, so did you,” Harry said with a tired smile.


They settled into a calm quiet, both tired from the late hour and over two hours of intense brewing. Harry propped an elbow on the tabletop and rested his head in his hand, letting his eyes flutter. It wasn’t long before footsteps broke their sleepy lull and they looked up as Severus entered the lab. He immediately crossed to the cauldron, gazing in and dipping a ladle in to test the viscosity.


“Excellent work,” Severus said and Harry smiled at the praise. No matter what, the sentiment was rare to receive. “Return to your dorm now, Miss Lovegood. Get some sleep. Thank you for your assistance.”


“You’re very welcome, Professor,” Luna said with a smile. “Good night.”


“Remember the cloak, Luna,” Harry said and she nodded as she left the lab. Harry rubbed his burning eyes under his glasses, the scratchiness indicative of desperately wanting sleep.


“Come on, Harry, you need to sleep,” Severus said in a low voice and his hand landed on Harry’s shoulder, tugging gently to make him leave his stool.


“The potion,” Harry argued half-heartedly even as he allowed himself to be guided around the table.


“It’s fine,” Severus said. “I’ll come back to bottle it once you are sleeping.”


Harry just nodded, fitting against Severus’ side as his father’s arm fell around his shoulders, hand rubbing his arm. He let himself be led to the Library and dropped onto the sofa. He grabbed a couple of the pillows and let his head fall heavily onto them, briefly burying his face while curling his arms around the pillow and squeezing.


He heard a deep chuckle and turned his head to squint up at his father. His glasses were pulled off along with his shoes before a blanket was draped over him. He glanced at it curiously.


“Hogwarts always knows what we need,” Severus said quietly in explanation.


Harry just hummed, burrowing and letting his eyes close to another quiet chuckle.


“Sleep, my son,” Severus whispered, brushing a kiss over the top of his head. “You did well.”


Harry smiled into the pillow and quickly fell into a deep sleep.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3912