The Four Swords of Hogwarts by TheLostBoys333
Summary:

One to defeat fear. One to discover truth. One to feel love. One to accept life. Each will bear a sword and embody the essence of Hogwarts. Together as one, the Four Heroes of Hogwarts will unite the world against the true Dark Lord. Together as one, the Heroes will defeat the binding darkness and restore Hogwarts to the wonder her creators intended her to be.


Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Other, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape Disciplines , Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Tragedy
Media Type: Story
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th Year
Warnings: Character Bashing, Character Death, Out of Character, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 39 Completed: Yes Word count: 144283 Read: 11494 Published: 11 Nov 2023 Updated: 26 Nov 2023
Chapter 34: On the Precipice of Battle by TheLostBoys333
Author's Notes:

We're moving fast! Our heroes are on the precipice of battle and the end is approaching! Honestly, we are just chapters from the end. I hope you enjoy this chapter and enjoy the road to the end. Please leave a review if you do.

“Harry!”


Harry looked up from where Severus was laying on the sofa, still groaning and twitching, at Hermione’s call. He watched as she, Ron, and Luna came hurrying into the Library, faces filled with worry.


“What the bloody hell is going on?” Ron asked, looking past Harry at Severus when the man let out a strangled shout.


“Dumbledore’s killing Severus through the Dark Mark,” Harry said gravely. Ron’s face paled while Hermione and Luna gasped. Harry sighed, rubbing his brow. “What about you? How many did you get?”


“We’ve got a problem, mate,” Ron said.


“What else is new?” Harry said bitterly. “What’s wrong?”


“Dumbledore has sealed the common rooms,” Hermione said.


“No one can get in or out,” Luna added.


Harry stared at them with wide eyes. “All the students are trapped?”


“Not all of them, but most,” Hermione said. “Neville seems to have gotten a group from the library.”


“And Seamus got a few in the Entrance Hall before they went to common rooms,” Ron said.


“Any professors or Order members?” Harry asked, feeling a spike in his anxiety at the thought of Dumbledore taking the students hostage. His stomach and heart also clenched as Severus let out another scream.


“Not yet,” Ron said, shaking his head.


Harry rubbed his eyes aggressively under his glasses, pressing harder than he should. He didn’t know what to do. Dumbledore was sure to act soon, but they didn’t have enough people or preparation. They weren’t ready. He turned to look at Draco when his brother came up beside him.


“We can’t do anything without Dad,” Draco said. “All four heroes are needed.”


“I don’t know what to do though,” Harry said. “I don’t know how to save him.”


“Dream Chasing,” Draco said.


“I don’t even know if I can do it,” Harry said. “It took me three days to break my scar connection and that was with Dad and with my scar not activated.”


“We don’t have a choice,” Draco said.


“Damn it, I could kill him, Draco,” Harry snapped.


“He’s already dying!” Draco snapped back.


Harry looked at Severus, torn.


“Harry,” Neville said, poking his head into the Library. “Kingsley’s here. He got the students from the infirmary and some others came with him.”


“Stay with Dad,” Harry told Draco, leaving the Library with Neville, Ron, and Hermione.


Neville led them to the main chamber which was filled with people milling about, whispering, and gazing around the Chamber in awe. Many were students, but Harry was more focused on Kingsley quietly talking to Lupin, Slughorn, Flitwick, Sprout, Tonks, Hestia Jones, and Pomfrey.


“Hey, kid, good work,” Kingsley said when he noticed Harry, making the other adults turn to him as well. “Everything else done?”


“Tom got the sword and he’s here, but we have a problem,” Harry said. “It’s Dad. We need him, but Dumbledore’s killing him.”


“Like we thought,” Kingsley said and Harry nodded. “Anything we can do?”


“There’s one thing, but it’s not guaranteed and we need time,” Harry said, glancing at the professors and Order members that were all staring at him in clear desperation for answers.


“Right,” Kingsley said, glancing at them as well and obviously noticing the same thing. “I’ll take care of explanations. You do what you need to.”


Harry nodded again. “Ron, Hermione. Stay here and help explain, especially to the students. Help get everyone settled the best you can.”


They agreed and, with a quick ‘thanks’, Harry returned to the Library. Tom was talking quietly to the Founders in their frame and Draco was sitting on the coffee table, gazing at Severus. Harry walked over, glancing down at Severus’ arm. The skin was nearly completely covered by the red and green tendrils, disappearing under the rest of his untorn sleeve. The man’s face was pale and contorted with pain, his body shaking with tremours as he was ravaged by Dumbledore’s torture.


“Alright, let’s do it,” he said and Draco looked up at him. “We’re going to help Dad sever the connection, but we’re all going to do it.”


Tom turned from the Founders. “What do you mean?”


“Draco and I will both do the Dream Chasing spell and you are going to use Legilimency to get us into Dad’s mind,” Harry said.


Draco frowned. “The book doesn’t say anything about being able to do any of that.”


“No, but if we want to have any hope of actually helping Dad, we have to try,” Harry said. “I cannot do it myself and we need to be able to see what he sees.”


“I’m not sure I have the ability to do that,” Tom said, unsure. “That is an area of Legilimency I have never practiced.”


“You are the best at Legilimency next to Dad,” Harry said imploringly. “You are the only chance we have.”


They all turned to Severus when the man let out a choked cry and arched off the sofa. Harry looked back at Tom with pleading eyes.


“Please,” Harry said. “Just try. We’re done, all of this is done, if he dies.”


“Allow me to help you.”


Harry, Draco, and Tom looked up at the Library’s entrance and found Hogwarts standing there. Her face was both grave and happy as she gazed at them.


“What do you mean?” Draco asked.


“You are my heroes. You are connected to me as I am to you,” she said, walking towards them. “I can guide your magic to each other, can connect you as you need.”


“How?” Harry said, puzzled.


“Because this is how my magic is meant to be used,” Hogwarts said. “To help. As for how, it is simply a matter of guiding you. The four of you have always been connected in unseen ways.”


Harry looked at the others, chewing his lip. He knew they had to do this, they had to save Severus, but he was nervous. He was worried about screwing up and killing Severus which would likely lead to all of their deaths as they’d be unable to fight Dumbledore. He was worried about what else Dumbledore would do, especially as they took time saving Severus. He was worried none of it would matter in the end.


“Tell us what you need,” Gryffindor’s voice pulled him from his thoughts and he turned to the Founders in their frame. Almost immediately, Harry formed plans.


“He’s sealed the common rooms,” Harry said. “Go to them and tell the students everything will be alright and we’ll get them out as soon as we can.”


The Founders nodded in understanding.


“Keep an eye on Dumbledore. Find out what he’s doing, what he’s planning,” Harry said. “Finally, help Kingsley, Ron, and Hermione. They’re explaining to everyone, but they’ll need help, especially with the professors and Order members.”


“Understood,” Slytherin said.


“And if there is anything you can do to stall Dumbledore, do it,” Harry added.


With another nod, all four Founders stepped out of the frame, disappearing to somewhere else in the castle. Harry turned back to Tom, Draco, Severus, and Hogwarts.


“Let’s do this,” he said.


“Very well,” Hogwarts said and began directing them.


She had them pull up three of the armchairs to sit beside Severus on the sofa. In the odd circle they made with the sofa, a small table was transfigured. Harry was instructed to get the potion and text for Dream Chasing, and all three of them were instructed to draw their wands. Harry and Draco sat in the chairs closest to the sofa with Tom in the other and Hogwarts standing in the space left between him and Draco.


“This is going to be complicated, but if you focus, you will succeed,” Hogwarts said and Harry swallowed thickly while Draco glanced a him nervously. “Harry and Draco will cast the Dream Chasing Spell and Tom will use Legilimency on the both of you. Harry and Draco will provide the access to Severus’ unconscious while Tom will create the mind connection. I will guide you into Severus’ mind and allow you to see what he is seeing. Place your left hands on top of one another on the table.”


Harry took a deep breath and did as she requested, his hand ending up between Tom’s and Draco’s. Draco placed Severus’ on top of his and Hogwarts laid hers on the very top.


“Harry and Draco, cast the spell, but look at Tom,” Hogwarts instructed.


Glancing at Draco, they began to recite the incantation in unison and waved their wands in the complex pattern. As they came to the end of the spell, Harry found his vision becoming filled with odd shadows and there was a kind of dull buzzing in the back of his mind. As they finished the spell, their wands came to rest on Severus’ chest and they turned, simultaneously, to meet Tom’s eyes.


Harry found himself focusing more on the shadows than Tom, watching them move and shift and morph. Each one felt different, weighed down by its own meaning within Severus’ mind. He could just make out vague notions associated with each shadow and he found himself already searching for something that felt like the Dark Mark or Severus.


He was so distracted by the impressions of Severus’ unconscious that he didn’t notice when Tom began the Legilimency. What he did notice was falling through seemingly nothing before landing in a dark space, dimly lit just enough to allow for the wide variety of shadows moving around the area. Looking around, he found Draco standing next to him, also gazing at what surrounded them.


“Bloody hell, it worked,” Draco said.


“So far,” Harry said. “We still have to find Dad and break the Dark Mark connection.”


Draco sighed. “Right. Well, where do we start? This isn’t like how you described your unconscious.”


“No, Dad’s is different,” Harry said, watching a shadow flutter by sluggishly. “His is abandoned.”


Draco frowned at him. “What do you mean?”


“He doesn’t think about any of this, ever. He’s just pushed it all here and left it,” Harry said. “It’s the shadows he doesn’t even realize haunt him.”


“So, what do we look for?” Draco asked.


“Something different,” Harry said. “The Mark is active, it’ll look and feel different to the other shadows.”


Draco nodded and they split up, walking through the flickering darkness and examining the shadows they passed. With each one, Harry looked closely and hovered a hand close to it, searching for any impression of a torturous mark. He found one that, for a moment, he thought could be the right path only to realize it was Severus’ loss of Lily. Harry sighed sadly as he stepped around the shadow, watching it slowly pass by him.


“Harry, I found it,” Draco said and Harry spun to find his brother. 


Once he did, he walked over, weaving through the shadows. At Draco’s side, he immediately agreed that Draco had found the correct shadow. While the others were a dark grey with hazy edges and in no distinct shapes, this one was a pitch black with sharp, pulsing edges and veins of red and lime green. It wasn’t in a specific shape, but it did move in a pattern similar to the snake in the Dark Mark. Harry could also feel the muted waves of pain rolloing off the shadow.


“He’s trapped in there?” Draco said, staring at the shadow apprehensively.


Harry nodded. “And we have to go in there.”


“He’s going to kill us for doing this,” Draco pointed out.


Harry gave a lopsided grin. “At least he’ll be alive to do it.”


Draco chuckled. “Alright, then, let’s go.”


Harry held out his hand for Draco to take and, together, they reached out to the shadow with their others hands. It was a weird sensation, almost like cold, scratchy wool. As his hand sunk into it, he felt a sharp tug and the feeling of stepping through heavy curtains that pressed against him as he passed. The feeling didn’t last long, quickly replaced by a deluge of cold pinpricks covering his entire body. It made him cringe and flinch away, but it followed. He knew this was an extremely muted version of what Severus was experiencing and he looked up at his father.


They were in a completely dark area, sliced by the ominous glow of the sharp red and lime green threads. These didn’t fill the area like a spiderweb though. No, these cut the dark like vicious slashes and bolts of lightning. In the center of all of it stood Severus, spread eagle as though restrained. The bolts of red and green constantly pulsed and shook, looking like electricity was running along them until they hit Severus who trembled violently and screamed every time.


“Bloody hell,” Draco breathed, gazing around with wide eyes.


“Look,” Harry said and pointed at Severus when he noticed something. They watched as another bolt of pain ravaged their father, but, that time, they saw black and silvery-white wisps leave Severus’ body. They travelled up a red slash before sinking into it. The red slash pulsed and seemed to grow larger. “He’s sucking out Dad’s magic and soul.”


“What do we do?” Draco asked.


“We use Dumbledore against himself,” Harry said. “Dad needs to use what’s anchored Dumbledore here. For me, it was my loneliness.”


“Self-hatred,” Draco said and Harry looked at him. “He doesn’t show it and I think we help, but Dad hates himself. He hates everything he’s been and everything he’s done, he always has.”


Harry looked at Severus sadly, knowing Draco was right. “Come on,” he said quietly and led the way carefully through Dumbledore’s magic. They were shimmying through a narrow gap when one of the gashes scraped Harry’s biceps. He gasped at the pain and jerked away. Looking at his arm, he found a long, deep cut that was already bleeding steadily.


Draco moved Harry’s sleeve to see the gash. “Damn,” he muttered.


“Be careful apparently,” Harry said sardonically and they finished the trek to Severus. Closer now, they were able to see that the red and green slashes were thinner, but more condensed, creating a kind of cage around Severus.


“Dad,” Draco called out and Severus’ eyes cracked open.


“Boys,” Severus said breathlessly. “How are you here? Why?”


“Dream Chasing and Tom,” Draco said.


“We’re here to help you,” Harry said. “Dumbledore’s doing this to you. He’s trapped you in the Dark Mark. He’s killing you.”


“You can’t be here,” Severus said, groaning as his cage pulsed around him. “You’re not safe here.”


You’re not safe,” Harry said. “We have to get you out of here. We need you.”


“Fight him,” Draco said.


“There’s nothing to fight,” Severus said. “This is what I deserve, not the two of you.”


Harry and Draco glanced at each other, pained.


“That’s up to us to decide,” Harry said. “We decide who deserves us, what we’re worth, and you are part of that.”


“We get to choose and we choose you, so fight!” Draco said firmly.


“We cannot and will not do this without you,” Harry said. “Don’t let him win.”


A wave of pain hit Severus, making him scream, and they watched more black and silvery-white wisps crawl up the red and green and dissolve into them. Severus very clearly sagged as his life and magic were sucked from him.


“Please don’t leave us,” Draco said.


Severus’ eyes opened again at Draco’s plea and they met the hazy eyes of their father. They stared at each other for a long while, Dumbledore’s magic pulsing around them, making Severus cringe and lose more and more life.


Harry and Draco watched as Severus’ eyes closed. For a moment, Harry feared Severus had given up, especially as a large amount of the wisps left Severus. Only, this time, instead of sinking into the red and green slashes, the wisps encompassed them. Dumbledore fought back, the blood red and lime green frequently glowing so brightly they were nearly blinding. Each time they did, some of Severus’ wisps were consumed. It almost looked like Severus was still losing.


“Dad, you need to fight,” Harry said, watching tremours wrack Severus’ body. “Fight for us. You’ve always fought for us. Just do it one more time.”


They didn’t get to see the result of Harry’s words as he and Draco were suddenly yanked away, flying up out of Severus’ mind. It was abrupt and almost painful, seeming to knock the air from his lungs as Harry returned to himself in the waking world. He gasped, eyes darting around as he tried to reorient himself. He quickly found Tom and Hogwarts, aware such a harsh removal wasn’t normal.


They didn’t have time to explain as Harry and Draco were whipping around to look at Severus who had released a shuddering breath. Harry dropped his eyes to Severus’ arm, finding the red and green tendrils had disappeared and the Dark Mark was still, though remained a deep black. They watched with bated breath as Severus’ eyes fluttered before finally opening. His eyes were distant for a moment, obviously stuck in his mind still. However, they cleared quickly and soon found Harry and Draco, lighting up with recognition as they did. He sat up and instantly reached for their hands, gazing at them.


“I will never stop fighting for you,” Severus said quietly, but firmly. “However, if you ever do anything so reckless or dangerous again, you will be severely displeased with the consequences.”


Harry and Draco grinned at each other before nodding at Severus. “Deal,” they said together.


Severus’ eyes narrowed suspiciously before he just sighed in resignation. Satisfied they had succeeded, Harry turned to Hogwarts and Tom who was hunched over, holding his head.


“What happened?” Harry asked only to hiss and jerk his arm, turning to glare at Severus. “That hurt.”


“Don’t whine,” Severus said, pulling Harry’s arm back to him. “You’re injured.”


Harry looked down at where Severus was moving aside his ripped sleeve, finding the bloody cut he had gotten in Severus’ mind. “It’s nothing, just a cut. Leave it alone.”


“Don’t be a brat,” Severus said, tightening his hold as Harry tried to pull his arm away.


Harry huffed and turned back to Hogwarts. “So, what happened?”


“I apologize,” Hogwarts said. “there was a sudden, large draw on my magic.”


“Dumbledore?” Harry said and Hogwarts nodded. “Can’t you cut him off now that we have all the swords?”


“Once the core is complete, yes, but there is still some of my magic he will retain access to,” Hogwarts said.


Harry frowned. “Why?”


“It is what is done for the headmaster or headmistress,” Hogwarts said. “There is some magic they must have access to for safety. The connection can only be broken through the resignation ritual or death.”


“What magic?” Harry asked, unsure he wanted the answer.


“The physical and the protective,” Hogwarts said.


“The magic that stops the castle from breaking down and the wards?” Draco said and she nodded again.


“That’s how he was able to seal the common rooms,” Harry said.


“Yes,” she said.


“There is something else,” Slytherin said and they all looked at the frame. “It would appear he has modified the Imperius Curse.”


Harry’s stomach dropped. “What do you mean?”


“He is able to cast it on innumerable people and it can only be broken by his counter or his death,” Slytherin said. “I fear you will be fighting friends.”


“So, what do we do?” Draco said. “We don’t have many down here to fight and he could bring the castle down around us at any moment.”


“You must complete the core restoration and your bond,” Hogwarts said. “There is much you’ll be able to do with the full power of the swords.”


“Will it end the Mind Magic?” Harry asked.


“Yes, except in those now under Dumbledore’s personal control,” Hogwarts said.


“That will get us more people,” Draco said and Harry nodded.


Harry was about to speak when the castle shook, a sound of distant breaking stone managing to echo down to them. They all looked at each other when the shaking stopped.


Harry, Harry, Harry,” Dumbledore’s voice suddenly echoed through the Chamber, only he no longer sounded like the grandfatherly headmaster of the last five years. Instead, he was taunting, similar to how he’d made ‘Voldemort’ sound. “You said you wanted to end this, that you would end me, yet here you are, hiding away. Not very Boy Who Lived or Chosen One of you.”


Harry clenched his jaw and his fists.


You think you can be something without me, a hero of your own making? Face me and prove it,” Dumbledore said, “but remember. The hero always loses those he loves in pursuit of victory.”


Harry turned to Severus and Draco, fear gripping his heart at the very clear threat. Draco looked worried while Severus looked angry.


“Do not listen to him,” Severus said.


Don’t wait too long, my boy, or I may begin to think you are sacrificing others for yourself,” Dumbledore added and Harry felt rage fill him.


“He’s going to kill students,” Harry said. “We have to do this now.”


“Come, Heroes,” Hogwarts said.


Harry, Draco, Severus, and Tom followed her from the Library and to the main chamber. Kingsley was still there with the few professors and Order members. The students were gone, but Ron, Hermione, Seamus, Neville, and Luna were standing in a group, whispering emphatically. When the four of them entered the main chamber, everyone turned to them.


“What’s going on?” Kingsley asked. “We heard Dumbledore.”


“And the castle was shaking,” Tonks said, clearly concerned.


“Look, everything will make sense soon,” Harry said. “We have to do something and then you’ll know everything.”


While everyone else looked confused and skeptical, Kingsley nodded in understanding and gestured for them to continue. He turned to the others, likely to give any kind of explanation to keep everyone calm.


Harry, Draco, Severus, and Tom climbed down into the core. Hogwarts stood next to her statue and all four Founders had returned to their frames. As they entered, the coloured veins and gems on Hogwarts’ necklace glowed brightly as though responding to the presence of the heroes, welcoming them. At Hogwarts’ and the Founders’ gestures, they each moved to their respective sword. Like the others, Harry gazed down at the Sword of Gryffindor. It was just as glittery and beautiful as all the other times he’d seen it, even just an hour earlier. He could tell he would never get tired of seeing the previous item. He could feel the power radiating from the sword, seeming to reach for him.


“What is going to happen?” Severus asked.


“The full magic of my mothers and fathers will finally reunite,” Hogwarts said. “Their magic will connect and flow into each of you as their champions. You will be connected to the swords, each other, and myself. It will be quite overwhelming, but you must hold strong until it is complete.”


Harry couldn’t help but feel nervous, unsure he was ready for or capable of the full responsibility of being a Hero of Hogwarts. He took a deep breath and, at Hogwarts’ instruction, he grasped the hilt, raising Gryffindor’s sword.


The result was immediate.


The gems in each sword glowed and light, thin tendrils of the corresponding colour twisted up around the blades and down the arms holding the swords. Harry watched in awe as the red threads travelled up to the sword’s tip and beyond, floating on the air until they reached the sparkling ruby on the statue of Hogwarts, sinking into it at the same time as the other threads of Founder magic. As the magic climbed up his arm, it stretched across his chest before sinking into him as well. He felt the magic connect with his own core, melding with his magic. At the same time, the air in the core grew heavy as the Founders’ magic reconnected for the first time in decades. Like Hogwarts said, it was overwhelming.


He could feel a burn on his arm where the coloured bands sat.


He could feel Gryffindor’s magic mixing with his.


He could feel his power steadily growing.


He could feel the Founders’ magic tangling together.


He could feel Hogwarts coming back to life.


He could feel Draco, Severus, and Tom as though little parts of them had been placed inside of him.


He could feel hints of the other Founders’ magic alongside Draco, Severus, and Tom.


The magic in the core kept growing until it felt he would suffocate. His hand shook as power radiated through his body, threatening to make him drop Gryffindor’s sword. Just when he thought he wouldn’t be able to handle the power any longer, it suddenly released in a force that swept over them and seemingly out of the core. The force nearly sent Harry to his knees and the gems in Hogwarts’ necklace glowed so brightly he was forced to shut his eyes. The sword grew warm in his hand.


After several seconds, all of what he was feeling finally eased. He still felt different, his magic and self now connected to Gryffindor’s sword, Hogwarts and the Founders, and the other heroes. No longer drowning in magic, Harry opened his eyes, only to have them widen in shock.


Standing before him, Draco, Severus, and Tom were the pearly-white, ghostly figures of the four Founders.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3912