The Four Swords of Hogwarts by TheLostBoys333
Summary:

One to defeat fear. One to discover truth. One to feel love. One to accept life. Each will bear a sword and embody the essence of Hogwarts. Together as one, the Four Heroes of Hogwarts will unite the world against the true Dark Lord. Together as one, the Heroes will defeat the binding darkness and restore Hogwarts to the wonder her creators intended her to be.


Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Other, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape Disciplines , Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Tragedy
Media Type: Story
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th Year
Warnings: Character Bashing, Character Death, Out of Character, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 39 Completed: Yes Word count: 144283 Read: 11478 Published: 11 Nov 2023 Updated: 26 Nov 2023
Chapter 38: What We Were Meant to Be by TheLostBoys333
Author's Notes:

Warnings: references to several character deaths, major and minor.

Battle aftermath. I hope you enjoy. Please, leave a review if you do and see you in the final chapter.

Harry watched with an aching heart as Tom and Kingsley gently laid Moody with the dead, and as the Weasleys sobbed over Charlie and Percy. He shifted minutely in his position against Severus, his back pressed to his father’s side and chest to avoid any touch to his fractal wound. He had his legs bent at his chest, hands resting on his abdomen. His head was resting on Severus’ shoulder and the man’s arm was draped over his shoulder, across his chest. His minor shift immediately brought a kiss down on the top of his head.


He turned his head to see who was entering the Great Hall, ready to add another name to his mental list of dead, and looked at Draco. His brother was tucked against Severus’ other side.


Due to Draco’s broken ribs, he was propped more on his side, head on Severus’ chest and folded legs resting against Severus’ outstretched ones. Severus’ arm was around Draco’s shoulders, curved up so he could thread his fingers through the blonde hair. A kiss was dropped on Draco’s head as well before Severus let his head fall back against the stone wall, clearly exhausted.


Once the battle had ended, they had moved back into the castle. Harry, Draco, and Severus were prepared to start helping with the dead and the injured, but Tom had refused. They’d followed the crowd into the destroyed Great Hall and found a spot on the floor near the doors at Tom’s demand. There they remained as people came and went for the next three hours, the numbers of dead and injured growing larger and larger. It was nearly morning, though Harry only knew that from the slight lightening of the darkness outside as the clock had stopped during the battle.


Like many, Harry and Draco were in desperate need of medical attention, but Pomfrey had yet to be found and no one else had the skill for treating such serious injuries. Kingsley had already been talking about bringing in Healers from St. Mungo’s and dealing with the fallout of the truth being known. It had to happen eventually.


Harry’s eyes flicked up again as more people entered the Hall only for his heart to clench and his stomach to twist as Tonks brought Seamus’ body over to the dead, laying him next to Lee. Harry squeezed his eyes shut as they filled with tears and brought his hands up to grasp at Severus’ arm across his chest. His father squeezed him gently and pressed his lips to Harry’s hair again, shushing him quietly and sympathetically.


“Look,” Draco said and Harry opened his eyes. “The ghosts, they’re still here.”


Harry looked out at the Hall, finding Draco was right. The ghosts that had fought alongside them were finding their loved ones. He had a broken smile as he spotted Colin with Dennis, Cedric with Mr. Diggory, and Daphne with Astoria. Two were with the Weasleys that he didn’t recognize. Others—some he recognized, some he didn’t—wandered the Hall, speaking with anyone willing to speak, seeming to help keep people calm.


“How is this even possible?” Harry muttered, looking at Quirrell who was talking to a group of Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors, even seeming to be making them laugh.


“They were all my children and they were taken,” Hogwarts said as she came up to them. “I am connected to all of my children and even those connected to them, and, in our time of need, I was able to call on them to help.”


“Remarkable,” Severus said quietly above Harry.


“Harry, Severus,” Hogwarts said and they looked at her. “There are some who would very much like to speak with you.”


Harry winced at the jolt that hit his heart, knowing it was Sirius she was talking about. He remembered the moment he’d seen his godfather on the battlefield.


“Come on, child,” Severus whispered, and helped to push Harry and then Draco to their feet. “Go sit with Longbottom and Lovegood,” he said to Draco.


As Draco walked gingerly to the two, Harry and Severus followed Hogwarts from the Great Hall just into the Reception Hall. The first thing Harry noticed was Tom off to the left with two ghosts, one he recognized as Merope Gaunt and the other that he thought looked a lot like Sirius only quite a bit younger. The second thing he noticed was Aberforth Dumbledore—who he hadn’t even realized had joined the fight—also standing with two ghosts, a young woman and an older man. Finally, he was guided to the right and he noticed them: Sirius, Lily, James, and a woman that had to be Severus’ mother.


Harry felt his throat close and his eyes burn as Sirius and his parents came to him, Eileen Prince taking Severus aside.


“Oh, sweetheart,” Lily said and Harry’s chest hitched.


“We are so proud of you, son,” James said.


“I miss you,” Harry said, hardly capable of more than a whisper. “He took you from me.”


“Yes,” Lily said with a sad nod before looking over at Severus with a smile, “but look at what you found.”


Harry looked at him, too, with his own watery smile. “Is it okay?” he asked, looking more at James.


“Is it okay that you found a father to love and protect you?” James said, smiling. “Of course it is okay and I couldn’t have picked anyone better.”


A couple tears fell as Harry’s heart swelled.


“Excuse me, darling,” Lily said. “I need to speak with Severus.”


Harry nodded, watching her and James join Eileen and Severus.


“Harry.”


He looked back at Sirius, the pain in his heart and stomach increasing.


“You have to stop blaming yourself, kid,” Sirius said and tears started pouring down Harry’s cheeks. “You know it was Dumbledore.”


“You were at the Ministry because of me,” Harry said brokenly.


Sirius gave him a soft look. “No, kid. We were there because of him. I’d learned the truth. If it wasn’t then, it would’ve been another time. He never would have stopped until I was out of the way.”


Harry sobbed. “I miss you so much.”


“Me too,” Sirius said, “but you get to live your life now. All I want is you to be happy.”


They both looked over at Severus, in deep conversation with Lily who was smiling gently at him.


“He loves you so much,” Sirius said and Harry turned back to his godfather. “Let him take care of you and that brother of yours.”


Harry smiled through his tears. “I love you.”


Lily and James returned then, Eileen and Severus close behind. Harry couldn’t help but notice how tight Severus’ face was, realizing the emotions his father was likely holding back.


“It’s time for us to go,” James said.


“We love you so much, sweetheart,” Lily said.


“I love you too,” Harry said and he looked up as Severus’ arm wrapped around his chest, avoiding his left side.


“Take care of him,” James said.


“With everything I am,” Severus said.


“Goodbye, my love,” Eileen said to Severus who gave her a gentle incline of his head.


Harry watched as they all faded slowly until they were gone. He leaned heavily against Severus, feeling both lighter and infinitely heavier. He turned his head just slightly when a body pressed against both his and Severus’ side, finding Draco. He sighed as his brother leaned his head against Harry’s.


“Heroes.”


They turned and Tom came to stand with them, looking at Hogwarts standing in the doorway with the Founders.


“Are you up to one last task?” Hogwarts asked and the four swords materialized in front of each of them.


They all looked at each other, grabbed their swords, and nodded. Hogwarts smiled and, in a blink, Harry found they had been brought to the core of Hogwarts. Harry moved to stand at the lion, the others standing at their respective mascots as well, just like when they were restoring the core before the battle. The Founders joined them while Hogwarts stood before her statue, facing it. She looked around, nodding at the Founders, and Harry watched them each place one hand on the slabs that would, once again, hold their swords. From Gryffindor’s hand, red glittering strands spread across the top like a spiderweb.


“When you are ready, Heroes,” Hogwarts said, her hands coming up to hover around the prophecy her statue still held, not touching it.


Harry looked at the others and they nodded. Together, they laid the swords on the podiums, and light and magic filled the chamber. Harry was filled with warmth and love, and the air swirled around, playing with their hair and clothes. He watched in awe as the magic strands covering the platforms extended and began to dance around the room, tangling together and adding a buzz of power to the air. The magic fluttered around, coming to twist and wrap around Hogwarts’ hands and the prophecy. The prophecy glowed brightly, blindingly, until it dissolved, in its place an hourglass made of gold and silver with colourful magic tangled inside. The magic threads around them sunk into the statue’s necklace and they were blinded again by the four colours. A wave of power washed over them again and this one, Harry knew, had flooded over the entire school.


Harry was watching the dancing magic and then he was suddenly outside, the rising sun behind him and the castle before him. He frowned at the extensive damage only to see fine, glittering, coloured threads twisting and wrapping around various parts of the castle. He could just see things moving, the fully restored magic beginning to heal the damage inflicted upon her.


He smiled and they were brought back to the Great Hall where the wisps of magic could still be found. People were watching the magic in amazement and the atmosphere had lightened somewhat in a way that Harry wasn’t sure he had ever felt before. It felt like the essence of the school was changing, reforming…returning to what it was meant to be. He looked at Hogwarts who was gazing around the Hall with a smile as the Founders drifted around.


“So, what will Hogwarts be like now?” Draco asked. “What is it supposed to be like?”


Hogwarts turned to them. “What you have found is what it is meant to be. Magic will thrive. My children will discover themselves. Friendships will grow,” she said. “Everyone will be at home.”




Harry sighed as he gazed at the monument the Founders had created that now sat in the Clock Tower Courtyard. It was marble with gold and silver threaded throughout. It was a phoenix perched on top of a large wall with its face to the sky and wings outstretched, the wall inscribed with the names of all who had died, not just in the final battle, but in all the decades controlled by Dumbledore. Anyone killed directly by Dumbledore or as a result or casualty of his ‘game’ had earned a place on the memorial.


Anyone not confined to the Great Hall by injuries had gathered in the courtyard for an informal funeral, a chance to lament and despair their losses, and say goodbye. Many were unable to attend, stuck in the Great Hall acting as an infirmary as the actual Hospital Wing was destroyed and inaccessible. Madam Pomfrey had been found the previous day, unfortunately among the dead. Due to the severity of injuries, Healers from St. Mungo’s had been called in mere hours after the final battle. Kingsley and Tom had taken charge on revealing the truth of what had happened as the Healers arrived. It had been two days now since the final battle and Harry was waiting for the news to break to the rest of the world, for the truth about Dumbledore to finally be known.


Harry winced, rubbing absently at the scars that now marred his chest, shoulder, and neck. It still hurt a fair bit, though it was no longer excruciating. No one could explain why it had happened, why a Killing Curse had left such marks, but his Healer figured the pain would stop eventually and it would eventually be normal scarring, only dark green in colour.


“You haven’t seen Healer Carling yet today,” Severus said, coming up to Harry and moving his loose-fitting shirt to see the unique wound.


“I’m fine, Dad,” Harry said. “I needed to say goodbye.”


Severus sighed, brushing back Harry’s hair. Harry stared at the memorial again, his eyes instantly finding McGonagall’s name. A pit settled in his stomach again, as it did anytime he thought of her.


“It wasn’t your fault, child,” Severus said, obviously knowing what Harry was thinking.


“It was my spell,” Harry said quietly.


“And she was under Dumbledore’s control,” Severus said. “He made her step in its path.”


“Yeah, I guess,” Harry said, still wracked with guilt.


“Come on,” Severus said gently and guided Harry back into the castle.


They were quiet as they walked through the school. The Founders’ magic was still at work, slowly repairing the school, though many adults had also begun to help with the repairs. They walked into the Great Hall, heading directly to the long row of beds that had been set up. Draco was in one, still healing from his broken ribs, and talking to Healer Carling. Severus pushed Harry to the bed beside Draco’s and Healer Carling immediately began his exam.


“Severus.”


Harry looked up, finding Tom and Kingsley approaching.


“Letters were sent to families about early closure, right?” Kingsley asked.


“Yes, Filius and I sent the last ones last night,” Severus said.


“The Prophet is running a story tomorrow,” Tom said.


“Word’s gotten back to the Ministry,” Kingsley said.


“Are Aurors going to storm the school?” Severus asked, crossing his arms over his chest, and Harry raised an eyebrow at the possibility.


“No,” Kingsley said. “Fudge has disappeared actually."


“Wait, really?” Harry interrupted.


“He’s gone?” Draco added.


Kingsley and Tom nodded.


“You’re looking at our acting Minister,” Tom said, smiling at Kingsley.


Harry looked at them and then Draco with surprise.


“Well, that is good news for us,” Severus said with a smile. “Students will be returning home at the end of the week.”


“And those that don’t have anywhere to return to?” Kingsley asked and Harry immediately thought of Neville whose grandmother had died in the final battle.


“They will stay here,” Severus said. “The remaining staff have already agreed to stay here.”


“Good,” Kingsley said. “Do you think the school will be ready for September?”


Harry gazed around, spotting the little wisps of magic that were perpetually fixing the castle. He had wondered the same thing, honestly. There was just so much damage.


“I hope so, but there is truly no way to say,” Severus said.


“Figured as much,” Kingsley said with a sigh and he walked away.


“How is he, Jasper?” Severus asked, turning to the Healer that finally finished Harry’s exam.


“Healing well,” Carling said. “The pain has lessened and is not as consistent. I believe he is going to be fine, they both will be.”


“Thank you,” Severus said.


Harry readjusted his shirt, watching Carling leave to check on Dean and Ginny who, with the others, had finally woken up from their comas. He moved his eyes to Severus as the man sat on the foot of Draco’s bed, looking exhausted.


“Dad, if the school is fixed by September, what happens then?” Draco asked.


“What do you mean?” Severus asked.


“We have no headmaster or headmistress,” Harry said.


“Not even a deputy,” Draco said and Harry ignored the sting in his chest at the reference to McGonagall.


“An excellent question,” Hogwarts said and they all turned to her. She hadn’t been around quite as much the last couple days, really only showing up when someone seemed to be in need. The Founders appeared with her.


“We were going to wait for this,” Gryffindor said and Harry frowned at the ghosts.


“We made a terrible mistake putting our faith in Dumbledore,” Hufflepuff said.


“However, he was never meant to be our choice,” Ravenclaw said.


“What do you mean?” Harry asked. “Why did you choose him then?”


“The one that was meant to be the next was taken from that path, taken from us,” Slytherin said.


“We have awaited his return,” Gryffindor said.


“For he is meant to lead Hogwarts,” Hufflepuff said.


“He is all Hogwarts is, even if he has forgotten,” Ravenclaw said and they turned to Tom.


Harry looked at Tom in shock, seeing the same expression mirrored on the man’s face.


“You can’t mean me,” Tom said, stunned.


“It was always meant to be you, my child,” Hogwarts said with a soft smile.


She cupped her hands and a silver ring appeared, floating just above them. Harry stood, wanting a closer look. It was in the shape of the Hogwarts crest with an ‘H’ in the center and four glittering gems around it: ruby, emerald, sapphire, and yellow garnet. He could feel the magic infused in it, the way it connected to the magic floating around the school.


“This ring is the sign of a true Hogwarts leader,” Hogwarts said. “Only those destined to be a headmaster or mistress receive this ring. It provides complete access and connection to me and my magic.”


“This must be a mistake,” Tom said, looking overwhelmed.


“Only you will ensure every child that passes through these halls becomes who they are meant to be and finds a home,” Hogwarts said and she levitated the ring to Tom who stared at it. “It is time for you to come home, my darling.”


Harry watched as Tom looked around at her, the Founders, and then at him. As their eyes met, Harry knew Tom was thinking of their time in limbo. Harry gave him a smile.


“This is who you are meant to be,” Harry said. “This is your place.”


Tom’s eyes dropped back to the ring still hovering before him. Slowly, he raised his hand and the ring dropped into his palm.


The power that rushed over the school felt like coming home.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3912