Revenge for Christmas by Melibelly
Summary: When Harry discovers that Sirius Black is the one who betrayed his parents, he would like nothing more than to exact his revenge. Lucky for him, Snape shares the same goal. Together, Harry is sure they will hunt Black down and bring him in for the punishment he so rightfully deserves. Or so he thinks…
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione, McGonagall, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: Out of Character Snape, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Kind, Snape is Secretive
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Adoption
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Emotional Abuse, Neglect, Out of Character
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 19426 Read: 1771 Published: 21 Dec 2023 Updated: 23 Dec 2023
Living Well is the Best Revenge by Melibelly

The day after Christmas

After spending an hour listening to Snape and Black explain everything to Dumbledore, Harry had been shoved down to the hospital wing for a check up. Madame Pomfrey had complained about missing Christmas dinner, dabbed him with bruise balm and released him to the cranky Aurors for questioning.

Evidently, the auror’s were just as annoyed as Pomfrey at being bothered on Christmas and had decided to take out their mood on Harry. Question after question, each one more stupid than the last. Snape had sat nearby, ready with a snarky comment everytime the aurors were a little too grumpy with him. Eventually, they got sick of being told off by Snape, and let Harry go back to Gryffindor.

A house elf had been by to sort out the dorm room, so Harry all but toppled into his bed and fell into a deep sleep.

He woke to Hedwig knocking on his window. She was clutching a special edition of the Daily Prophet in her beak. Harry felt numb as he started down at the headline.

SIRIUS BLACK CLEARED OF ALL CHARGES!

It was a special addition of the paper; only 3 pages. He glanced through the articles.Who was Peter Pettigrew? Harry Potter’s Christmas Kidnapping! Secrets from Godric's Hollow- What really Happened the Night the Potters Died? They had an hour by hour timeline.

Harry threw the paper to the side as if it burned him. What utter trash.

He managed to talk himself into taking a shower today. Harry took his time and let the warm water wash away the worst of his dark thoughts. By the time he emerged, dressed in day clothes at last, there were 4 owls waiting for him.

“Wow. You lot are very fast.” Harry rustled in his trunk for some owl treats and began scanning his letters. Ron, Hermione, Hagrid, and Neville. The usual suspects. He took his pile of letters and walked down to the common room; There were still Chritsmas presents to open down there after all.

The day passed slowly. It was the day of relaxation that Christmas should have been. Harry hid in Gryffindor tower, mind too busy to face anyone. Hermione had sent him a new book to read and he nibbled on the candy from Ron. Crookshanks curled on his lap, finally at rest now that Scabbers was gone.

HPHPHPHPHP

“Potter, is there some reason that you have decided to completely stop eating?”

Harry jumped so hard he almost knocked poor Crookshanks off his lap. It was mid morning on December 27th, and he had been looking forward to another day of hiding from the world. What the hell was Snape doing in Gryffindor tower?

“Professor, what are you doing here? How-how did you get in here?” Harry lifted Crookshanks and stood. He felt unsettled sitting with Snape hovering over him.

“You were not complaining when I saved your hide 2 days ago,” spit Snape. “ No one has seen you in the Great Hall since Christmas eve. Now, you will answer my question, why have you not been coming to meals?”

Harry shrugged. It struck him as strange that Snape even cared. Had the man been watching him?

“I had some candy Ron sent me,” said Harry, too stunned to say more. No one except Hermione complained about his eating habits.

Snape made a guttural noise that showed exactly what he thought of that. “Have you spoken to Lupin? Or Black?”

“Ummm…” Harry shifted from foot to foot. “No? Was I supposed to?”

He found himself yet again under his potions masters assessing gaze.

“Am I to take it, you also have yet to speak to Professor McGonagall about new glasses?”

“No,” said Harry slowly. “It’s the holidays, sir? I don’t think she’s even here.”

Snape’s mouth was so thin it was in danger of disappearing.“You have 10 seconds to get your winter clothes.”

“Wha-?”

“Nine.” Snape crossed his arms and began looking around Gryffindor common room as if there was a bad smell he couldn't quite identify.

Seeing no way out of this one, Harry ran up to his dorm room to find his coat. He grabbed the overly large hand me down from Dudley, and nicked Ron’s hat, scarf and mittens. The Dursley’s gave him the bare minimum, which always meant his fingers froze in winter. Maybe he should ask Mrs. Weasley to stop sending him jumpers and instead make him some nice mittens next year.

Snape gave him a passing glance to see that he had what he needed, spun on his heel and strode for the portrait hole. “Follow, Potter.”

Harry rushed to keep up and put on his coat at the same time. Snape was in no mood to slow down. Harry shoved the mittens in his mouth and frantically wiggled his coat zipper. Dudley must have done something, because it always got stuck. He managed to be ready just in time to follow Snape out of the front doors. Finally able to follow without also trying to dress himself, Harry saw that Snape had on his winter cloak. Had he been planning this from the beginning?

The teacher pulled out his gloves from some hidden pocket and slipped them on. “Do keep up, Potter.”

Snape marched them right past the gates and all the way to Hogsmeade. Harry didn’t question his luck. He was just excited to be able to explore the town without the cover of his invisibility cloak. Most of the shops still had their Christmas decorations up, and the snow gave everything a cozy quaint homey feel. It was much less crowded then it had been on the Hogsmeade weekend, and Harry found he liked the calm sleepy feel of it all.

To Harry’s surprise Snape headed into the three broomsticks. Compared to last time, the pub was almost empty. They settled into a seat in the corner by the fireplace.

“Hello Professor Snape!” Rosmerta had come over to take their order. She smiled down at them both. “It’s been a while since I’ve seen you here, and with a student no less. Color me surprised!”

Make that both of us, thought Harry.

“I’ll take a mulled wine and a serving of your stew,” said Snape, clearly in no mood for small talk. “What do you want, Potter?”

Rosemerta’s eyebrows went up at his name. Her gaze was suddenly turned to assess Harry, searching for the tell tale scar.

Harry pointedly tugged his hat down. “A butterbeer please.”

“Order something to eat.” Snape had picked up a discarded newspaper and was pursuing it. “I insist.”

“Ummm…fish and chips?”

“Coming right up!” said Rosemerta. She gave Harry a broad smile. “Sounds like you could use a good meal after the Christmas you’ve had.”

Snape snorted.

Harry blushed. “It’s nice to be able to come to Hogsmeade.”

“Of course. I’ll be right back with your drinks, dears.”

Harry stared at Snape. What was the man thinking? Why had he brought him to Hogsmeade?

“I don’t have any money with me,” said Harry, “I can-”

Snape lowered the paper. “I do not need your money.”

“But-”

“Paying for your meal is significantly easier than the paperwork I will have to do if you starve yourself to death,” deadpanned Snape.

Harry shifted in his seat and bit his tongue. If Snape wanted to pay for him, then fine.

“I trust you saw The Prophet yesterday?”

“Yes,” said Harry, “They work fast.”

“Indeed.” Snape gave Rosmerta a closed lip smile as she placed their drinks down.

Harry took a sip of his butterbeer and felt his body relax. There was no killer after him anymore, there were no classes for more than a week and he was having lunch at the Three Broomsticks. Not a bad combination, even if he was with Snape. Maybe a week ago, sitting across from Snape having lunch would have been torture, but after spending so much time with him all week, this really wasn’t so bad. In fact, now he wondered if maybe he could get more stories of his mum out of Snape.

“Did you ever come here with my mum?” said Harry.

Snape pursed his lips, no doubt surprised that Harry wasn’t dancing around the topic like he had in his pretend detentions. “Yes. Quite often.”

That made him feel a bubbly warmth that spread up until he couldn’t help the wide smile he gave Snape. The professor looked away and took a sip of his wine.

The rest of the lunch passed surprisingly comfortably. The Three Broomsticks turned out to have the best fish and chips Harry had ever had (Not that the Dursleys had let him have take away too often), and Snape’s company wasn’t too bad either. They chatted about the school ghosts and Harry’s homework. Snape even slipped in a couple of stories about his mom’s reactions to some of the stranger parts of Hogwarts.

When their bellies were full and plates were empty, Snape paid for the meal and bid Harry to follow him.

What happened next would have shocked Ron unconscious. First, Snape took him to a glasses store, where he demanded Harry get 2 pairs. Then, he dragged him to a clothing store. At first Harry had been reluctant to get anything, but the professor had given him such a dressing down about the state of the clothes he had seen the past week that, beyond embarrassed, Harry had begun grabbing new shirts and pants until his professor was satisfied.

“Honestly, Potter, from the looks of you your family never bought you anything to wear at all,” groused Snape as they left. “I am doing a community service so that the rest of us don’t have to watch you wear trousers that are 3 sizes too big and ripped all over.”

“They’re just Dudley's hand me downs,” said Harry, defensively. He didn’t think it had been all that bad.

Snape glared down at his jeans all the more. “Are your relatives lacking the funds to provide you with clothes that fit?”

“No,” snapped Harry. “But I’m not their kid. Not exactly going to spend money on me are they? I was kinda forced on them.”

“They have been raising you since 1 year old, for all intents and purposes, you are their child,” rebuked Snape.

Harry rolled his eyes. “Yeah, well, you tell them that.”

Snape grabbed one of the shopping bags from Harry and began walking toward the school. Harry had to rush to keep up again. He blinked at the town. With the new glasses he could make out every detail of the holy decorating the window ledges and the Christmas paintings on the windows.

At the edge of town Snape stopped so suddenly that Harry almost ran into him. “What do you think of Black?”

Harry shrugged, then realized that Snape couldn’t see him. “He seems alright. Don’t really know the bloke.”

“And yet you wanted him to take custody of you.” Snape had turned to watch him now. “I noticed your disappointment when he said he could not.”

Harry shifted the shopping bags in his hands and looked away. He didn’t want to talk about it. He had let his guard down and said too much. His life at the Dursleys had never really been a secret, but he didn’t exactly go around talking much about it either. It was something he had learned early in life.

“So, what?” said Harry. “Not like it matters.”

“Potter, you never go home for Christmas. You told me outright you would rather be alone than be with your relatives. They don’t purchase you clothes or new glasses. They tell you that you are not their child and treat you differently from your cousin.” Snape rattled off the list and then stared at him in challenge. “I wonder what else they do that you haven’t seen fit to mention? Clearly, you like them so much that within minutes you went from wanting to kill Black to wanting to live with him.”

Harry kicked at the snow. He wondered what Snape would say about the cupboard under the stairs or being locked in this room. Clearly the man had a dim thought of him skipping meals; what would he think if he knew that in the summer Harry was regularly forced to live on one meal a day?

A bitter anger surged through him. Snape had treated him like crap since he started at Hogwarts and now he expected Harry to confide in him? He had half a mind to curse him out. But the man was still Snape and would definitely have him scrubbing cauldrons for the rest of his evenings at any sign of disrespect. Plus he had bought him lunch.

“It's none of your business.”

Snape stared down at him. “I am making it my business. And when I want to find something out I always succeed. Always, Potter. ”

This time Harry couldn't hold back his retort. Detentions be damned. “Bugger off!”

Snape's eyes narrowed dangerously. “I wonder what your relatives would have done about such disrespect? A whipping perhaps? Push you around a bit? Leave you a nice shiner? Perhaps a few cuts? No. Worse than that I wagger, maybe-”

“Oh Shut up!” yelled Harry. Snape did always know exactly how to get under his skin. It seemed the man was hellbent on making up some crazy story to fit his delusions. “Nothing as bad as all that, I just had to spend a few days in my cupboard!”

Snape’s smile of satisfaction chilled his heart. He had been played. Manipulated so successfully that Snape had managed to extract one of his biggest secrets. Harry found that he couldn’t bare to look at him. In fact, an itchy jittery feeling was rising in him, so strong that he didn’t know if he could bare to be himself.

“Your cupboard?” Snape stalked towards him, like a predator that had cornered its prey. “Explain yourself.”

Harry began walking back to the castle rather than dignify that with a response. He had to fight to keep his breathing from coming in sharp jagged gasps. He didn’t want Snape to know just now much he had unsettled him. After a moment, he could hear Snape following behind. When they got to the castle, Harry snatched the shopping bags, muttered a thank you and disappeared back to the safety of Gryffindor tower.

He made sure not to go to dinner, just to piss off Snape.

HPHPHPHP

 

Tick. Tick. Tick.

Harry groaned and rolled over in bed. He fully intended to stay in bed all day. Snape be damned.

Tick. Tick .Tick. Squawk.

He opened his eyes to see a rather frantic looking owl banging on his window. Fine. The blankets thrown to the side, cold assaulted him. It only got worse once the window was opened allowing in the cold breeze. Harry shivered and glared at the unfamiliar barn owl. This had better not be another letter about the stupid Prophet article.

The owl hooted and dutifully held out its leg.

Untie the letter. Treats for the owl. Back under the covers to hide.

Reluctantly Harry inspected the letter. He didn’t recognize the handwriting. He opened it and almost gasped in surprise. Professor Lupin was inviting him to lunch with Sirius Black.

He stared at the missive in indecision. He had planned a wonderful day of self pity, hiding in his dorms. Missing meals, of course, to bother Snape. It was hard to shift himself from a day of wallowing to an afternoon spent learning more about his godfather.

But, did he dare pass up an opportunity to be with his fathers best friend? The hungry ally cat in him, starved for stories about James Potter, rejected that at once. But would it be worth the effort it would take to put on real clothes and make small talk?

Harry sighed. Yes. probably. He had the rest of the holidays to hide away, who knew when he would hear from Black next.

Decision made, he flipped over the parchment, scribbled a quick acceptance and sent it off with the owl. He quickly readied himself and shrugged into some of his new clothes before heading downstairs.

Wearing the clean, well made garments he bought yesterday did make Harry feel a little guilty for how he had treated Snape. He has never felt so warm walking the halls of Hogwarts in his casual clothes before. The hoodie Snape had insisted he buy was particularly soft. But still, that didn’t give Snape the right to pry into his life. It wasn’t like the professor could do anything about it either, he was just being nosey.

“Harry, it’s so good to see you!” Said Lupin, smiling broadly. The man looked like he had deaged 5 years. His eyes twinkled and for perhaps the first time all year he didn’t have bags under his eyes.

“It’s nice to see you too, professor.” Harry smiled back tentatively.

Black was standing just inside the classroom. He had cleaned up nicely. A shower and new clothes had done wonders. A bit of the playful happiness from the picture of his parents' wedding shined through.

“Hi.” Black shifted from foot to foot. “Oh bugger it. Come here.”

Suddenly, Harry found himself wrapped in a hug. He tensed. Physical touch, especially from an almost stranger, was not something he was used to. Oblivious to his discomfort, Black patted him on the back twice before pulling away.

“You’re a dead ringer for James,” said Black, wetness shining in his eyes. “Except for the eyes.”

“I have my mum’s eyes,” finished Harry.

Black nodded. “Well I’m just glad I got to meet you. And that you didn’t kill me. Not that I blame you considering…”

There was an awkward pause. Harry didn’t quite know what he was supposed to say to that.

“Let’s go sit down.” Said Professor Lupin. “The house elves sent us up a beautiful lunch.”

Harry followed his teacher to the front of the classroom, where several desks had been pushed together to hold an impressive spread. After skipping dinner and breakfast, Harry’s stomach growled at the sight.

Lupin handed him a plate. “Please help yourself.”

Smiling, Harry loaded his plate until he couldn’t possibly fit anything else on it. The adults watched on with amusement.

“Nothing quite like a teenager's hunger,” said Black. “Remember how much James used to eat after quidditch?”

“I’m surprised the kitchens had any food left by the time he was done.” Lupin was servicing himself a much more modest meal.

Harry sat down at a desk and began eating. He didn’t quite know what he was supposed to say or what he should do with his hands, and the food provided a nice distraction.

“ Harry, how much have you learned about the past?” said Lupin “My friendship with your father?”

“Most of it,” said Harry, blushing. “I know- I know that you’re a werewolf and that they all became illegal animagus to be with you. And about the secret keepers and things. I was there when he explained it all to Dumbledore.”

Lupin nodded encouragingly, the light dulling in his eyes. “I realize this puts you in a bit of a predicament, but do you think you could keep that to yourself? If the students knew I was a werewolf I’m rather worried there would be a school wide panic.”

Black gave him a sharp look and reached out a hand towards his old friend before letting it fall to his lap.

“I won’t tell anyone,” said Harry, “and for the record, It doesn’t bother me. You’ve been the best Defense teacher I’ve had yet.”

“Ah. Thank you, Harry.” Lupin pointedly busied himself with his food. “I appreciate that.”

Black cleared his throat. “So, Harry, I hear you're quite the quidditch player. Youngest seeker in a century.”

It was Harry’s turn to be embarrassed. “I like quidditch. Nothing like being on a broom.”

“You definitely got that from James. He was a great chaser. Was on his broom every chance he got.” Black’s eyes looked haunted. His hungry eyes made Harry shiver. It was as if Black didn’t see him, and only saw the parts of him that were like James.

It used to annoy him how little Snape had talked about his mom, but now he began to understand. It seemed like Black was barely able to talk to him without referring to the past, only willing to see the similarities. Half there at lunch, and half lost in a memory. But Snape saw Harry in the present, while remembering the past. The difference was startling.

“Well, I got you a Christmas present. Sorry it’s a bit late.” Black smiled. “I’ve got a few years to make up for.”

He picked up a large package, as long as Harry was tall. It was wrapped in a merry white and red striped paper with gold embellishments. Just the shape of it made Harry's heart hammer loudly in his ears. It couldn’t be.

But it was. A new broom. A Firebolt.

His hands ran lovingly over the fine polished wood. “Sir, I couldn’t possibly accept this.”

“Sir?”Black barked a laugh. “Please, call me Sirius. I am your godfather after all. And I insist. I have a lot of missed birthdays and Christmases to make up for.”

Harry let his fingers linger on the broom for a moment longer. It was the best present he had ever received, except for maybe when Hagrid had come to tell him he was a wizard.

“Thank you, Sirius,” said Harry, breathlessly.

Sirius beamed back at him. “I expect to see you use it to trounce Slytherin in the next match.”

“They won’t stand a chance,” said Harry

The lunch fell into a comfortable rhythm then. Sirius and Remus began recounting James Potter’s quidditch glory days. That had led to a general retelling of their Hogwarts days. Tales of mischievous pranks and fierce comradery that had Harry mesmerized. It seemed like his father had been smart and charming to a fault. Practically ignoring school, yet somehow acing every test and spending his spare time between detentions making objects like the marauders map to help with the next prank. Sirius and Lupin seemed to come alive. He could see the long forgotten playful schoolboys in them, as they bounced off each other like Fred and George.

“Did Potter eat?”

Sirius froze in the middle of his story, to glare at Snape who leaned casually against the doorframe of the Defense classroom.

Snape’s eyes seemed to seek out Harry’s plate.

“He has a detrimental habit of skipping meals,” said Snape, with a shrug.

Lupin cleared his throat. “Yes. The house elves provided us quite a feast.”

Snape showed no intention of moving. He looked as if he was calculating something, and in no hurry to figure out the answer.

“Would you-uh- like to join us, Severus?” said Lupin, after an awkward moment.

Sirius and Harry wiped their heads around to give the werewolf an incredulous glare. Sirius looked like he was physically biting his own tongue.

“Don’t mind if I do,” said Snape with vicious pleasure.

He stalked into the room, black robes billowing behind him. Every bit of his face screamed condescension. He eyed the food critically, before turning and pulling a chair to sit down next to Harry.

“At least, Black has found a shower and no longer smells worse than the Gryffindor quidditch team.”

Harry rolled his eyes.

Sirius’s fists were clenched. “You’re one to talk, Snape. I see you still haven’t figured out how to wash your hair.”

“Sirius,” said Remus warningly. “Need I remind you both that it has been 17 years since we were at Hogwarts.”

Harry glanced between the two of them. From the stiff way Snape was holding his back and the fists Sirius was making, he wasn’t completely sure that it wouldn’t come to a first fight. From the little history he managed to put together, he gathered that Snape and Sirius were no more likely to become friends than he and Malfoy.

Finally, Snape gave a sniff as if he did smell something bad, and brushed a piece of non-existent lint off his robe. “I am glad that you chose to take my advice, Lupin. At the very least we can ensure Potter ate once today.”

“Stop watching what I eat.” Harry shifted his chair away a bit.

“Leave him be,” said Sirius

“No,” said Snape, slowly, savoring their outraged reactions. “I don’t think I will.”

Sirius stood in a swift movement that made his chair screech against the floor. He banged his fists on the table and leaned forward until he was inches from Snape's nose. “Now see here Snape, you’ll leave Harry alone or we’ll have a problem.”

Snape almost smiled. Almost. “I’m positively shaking in fear.”

“He’s my Godson!” yelled Sirius.

“Unfortunate as that is for him,” said Snape, “I hardly think it matters considering you hardly know the boy, and until 2 days ago his dearest wish was to torture you within an inch of your life. Perhaps I should have let him.”

Sirius worked his jaw for a moment. “Well, I’m proud of him for wanting to avenge his parents.”

“Of course,” Snape smirked. “You have such a close connection that I had to all but demand Lupin invite Potter round for tea.”

Harry watched the glare on Sirius’s face falter. It was true. He had only even been invited to see them because Snape had pushed them to. His gut twisted. Just when he had thought that maybe he had an adult who actually cared about him, it turned out that Sirius was being talked into spending time with him.

“Maybe-Maybe I should go,” said Harry quietly. He hadn’t meant to sound so pathetic. “You don’t need to fight about me.”

He made to stand, but Snape grabbed him by the shoulder and pushed him back into his seat.

“I am not done yet. Stay right there,” hissed Snape.

Sirius was looking at Harry with impossibly wide eyes. “Harry, it's not like that. Please understand, I have had a lot to settle these past few days. I’m so glad I was able to see you today.”

“But it was professor Snape's idea?” Harry stared forward, refusing to give them anything.

“I- Yes,” sirius whispered. It seemed to pain him to admit it. “But, I'm so glad to see you. You’re just like James really. I see so much of him in you. Could almost confuse you for him, really.”

Harry twisted his lips in a smile that didn’t reach his eyes. He understood. He understood that Sirius saw Harry as some kind of way to get his friend back. He didn’t actually see him.

“Black we need to talk,” said Snape, interrupting their moment. His hand was still heavy on Harry’s shoulder and it gave a little squeeze.

“Why should I listen to anything you have to say?” Black hissed. “You’ve done nothing but insult me since you got here.”

“Because I helped Potter and I saved his life and yours,” said Snape. “And, frankly, I think that’s worth you at least hearing me out.”

Lupin reached out a hand and took the arm of his friend. With a little push, Sirius leaned off the table and took a seat. He crossed his arms and considered his school yard rival. Lupin gave a jerk of his head with a pleading look. His eyes screamed ‘get along.

“Fine,” spat Sirius “but make it quick.”

Snape took his time. He squeezed Harry’s arm again. An attempt at reassurance, but that just made Harry all the more anxious. The potions master's gaze was fixed on Lupin and Sirius. It was clear that whatever he had to say he was worried would not be received well.

“Potter,” began Snape slowly, “ needs to be removed from the custody of his aunt and uncle, and you’re the only one with the legal rights to do it.”

Black’s mouth fell open in bewilderment. “What?”

Harry jumped up from his chair, shoving Snape’s hand off as he did. “How dare you? What gives you the right? After how you’ve treated me for years, do you really think this is any of your business? Leave me alone.”

“They leave you with rags for clothes, and no glasses.” Said Snape, clearly having memorized his list from the day before. To Harry’s horror, Snape glanced at proffesor Lupin as if to make sure the man was paying attention to the ways the Dursley’s had failed him. “You told me they do not like you and treat you as if you are not their child. You never go home at holidays. You received no Christmas present from them. They lock you in a cupboard-”

“Oh Fuck off.” Harry clenched his hands into fists and willed himself not to punch a professor. Every instinct in him was telling him to run, but he had to make Sirius understand; He couldn’t have this be his first impression with his Godfather. “You have no idea what you're talking about!”

“Harry!” Lupin admonished. “Speak to Professor Snape with respect. He’s concerned.”

Harry glared at him. He couldn’t believe his favorite professor was taking Snapes' side.

“Did they or did they not lock you in a cupboard, Potter?” asked Snape, calmly.

“That’s-That’s- It’s got nothing to do with anything!”

“Harry,” said Sirius. He looked solemn and more serious than he ever had, even when they were catching Peter. “Is what Severus saying true?”

Harry bit his lip. Anger, white and hot, was cursing through him. A blush of humiliation was rising in his cheeks. “Oh it’s Severus now? You hated him 1 minute ago and now you’re buddies with him? You trust him over me? I’m fine at the Dursleys. I’m not some messed up kid who can’t take care of himself!”

Sirius shared a look with Lupin and then, in tandem, they both looked toward Snape. The only noise in the room was the sound of Harry’s ragged breathing.

“Harry, did your relatives ever lock you in a cupboard?” Lupin asked. He may as well have been asking about the weather. It was a practiced polite tone, that begot the steel in his eyes.

“You're making it out to be some big deal. It was fine,” pleaded Harry. “I’m fine. Really.”

Sirius pursed his lips and looked away. “Just one time?”

“Yeah, Just the once,” Harry readily agreed.

“Really?” said Snape in that predatory way that made Harry’s heart skip a beat. “Would that be why your Hogwarts letting was originally addressed to the cupboard under the stairs?”

Remus closed his eyes, as if to hold himself together from the shock. Sirius seemed frozen in place. He was losing them. They were slipping away. Harry could feel it. Why did Snape have to stick his nose in and ruin everything? He hadn’t forgotten the last 2 years, but he had thought that maybe after the last week they were past it. But now, Snape was here clearly with some Slytherin plot to drive a wedge between him and his Godfather.

“The truth this time, Harry.” Sirius couldn't even look at him. “Please.”

Harry fell in on himself. Hugging his middle trying to be small, and invisible. He would rather be sitting in the darkness of the cupboard than having this conversation, but something about the broken tone in Sirius’s voice made him realize he couldn't lie again.

“It was my room before I came to Hogwarts,” said Harry, voice hollow. “They locked me in all the time.”

A soft gentle touch was squeezing his arm again. Snape was staring at him with far away eyes.

Harry shook his hand away. He wanted none of Snape’s comfort.

“How long would they lock you in for?” Said Lupin, in that robot polite voice

Harry shrugged. “Hours, days. Depends on what I did.”

Snape squinted at him, like he was some kind of difficult puzzle that was starting to be solved.“Did they feed you in there?”

“Not really,” admitted Harry. “But, I was okay, I always nicked some food when I made the meals.”

“Meals you made, but were not permitted to eat?” clarified Snape.

Harry nodded at his shoes. “Well, I got the leftovers most of the time.”

“He cannot stay there.” Snape only had eyes for Sirius.

Sirius’s head fell into his hands. The man let out a keening sound, and they all heard him gasping to breathe. Harry watched as professor Lupin jumped into action. Rubbing his back, whispering something, trying to get him to breathe slower, then finally reaching into a pocket in his friend's cloak to give him a potion. Sirius downed the potion and sat for a few moments, completely still, sucking in air.

“Damn it,” muttered Sirius. He reached forward and banged on the table punching it with each word. “Damn it. Damn it! Damn it!”

Anger over, the broken man seemed to slump with defeat. Tears formed and fell freely. Lupin reached for him again, rubbing his back and shushing him like a child.

“You’re right, Severus,” said Sirius. “He can’t go back. But I’m not fit to be raising a child.”

He spun towards Harry, tears streaming down his face. “I’m sorry, Harry. I’m so so sorry. I want to help. I really do. But-But look at me! I keep having these panic attacks and flashbacks. I’m just- I’m not fit to have a kid. Not now. Maybe in a few years?”

Harry nodded. “I’m fine. Really. I don’t need saving from the Dursleys. It’s fine.”

“No.” Snape’s voice was hard. “You will not be going back there this summer. It is not fine.”

“But-but-” Sirius seemed to be getting more frantic now, despite his potion.

Lupin glared up at Snape, a hardness in his eyes Harry had never seen before. “That’s enough, Severus.”

“Take custody of him, legally you're the only one who can, and I’ll take him,” said Snape. “I will watch him all summer long, and during the school year for that matter.”

Harry gasped. His arms fell to his side and he rushed towards the man, stopping just before he bowled him over.

“Are you kidding me? You hate me!” He turned to Sirius. “You can’t just give me to Snape! It won’t be any better than the Dursleys!”

“Well I can guarantee you food and a proper room,” snape Spat.

“You hate me!” inisted Harry.

“No,” said Snape firmly. “I made mistakes in the past. I misjudged you and I only saw the Potter in you. But, You also belong to Lily and I swore to her that I would protect you. I would never betray that promise. Never.”

Harry shook his head, disbelieving.

“Why do you think I agreed to help you catch Black? I wanted to protect you from doing something idiotic to yourself. And your first year, even you must have figured out I was countering Quirrel’s curse on your broom.”

Harry couldn’t seem to speak, or move, or do anything besides shake his head.

Snape became more fervent. “ I have come to know you this week, Harry. I couldn’t hate you if I tried. You’re more than either of your parents, and I quite enjoyed your visits.”

“I-” Snape averted his eyes. For the first time in Harry’s memory he looked vulnerable and unsure. “I would like the chance to get to know you more. To fulfill my promise to your mother.”

No one dared to move. The power of that admission was not lost on anyone. Harry couldn’t quite process it. So much had happened, in such a short time. So much had been said. But one thing was clear- Snape wanted to keep him safe. Snape wanted to protect him from Black, and Quirrell, and the Dursely’s and his own harebrained schemes.

“What do you say Harry?” said Sirius “It’s up to you. Just say the word and I’ll call my lawyers, and get custody. You can stay with Snape until I’m feeling able to handle all this. I have to admit I’m a bit surprised by your relationship with Snape, but just say the word and I’ll respect it.”

Harry stared at his Potions teacher. Snape still had that open vulnerability in his eyes. Did he really want to go live with him?

“Yeah,” said Harry quietly. “Okay, I think- I think I’d like that.”

Sirius smiled. “Alright then. I have some Floo calls to make.”

Snape was smiling too. A true smile, with no smirk. He looked at Harry with a sense of wonder and pride that made his heart pound a little harder.

“Thank you for trusting me, Harry,” said Snape. “I won’t let you down.”

“Remus and I will also be here if you need anything” Sirius was pulling him into a hug. “Between the three of us, maybe we can keep you out of trouble.”

“That would be quite a feat,” said Snape with a quirk of his eyebrow. “What has he told you of his first 2 years at Hogwarts?


Epilogue:

Harry started out at the beach in wonder. When Severus had said they were going on a vacation he hadn’t quite known what to expect. He still couldn’t picture Snape lounging on the beach drinking pina coladas, but it was far better than his first assumption that they would be in a jungle somewhere collecting potions ingredients.

This cottage on the water had definitely outdone all his expectations. He breathed in the fresh air and opened his arms wide. For the next week he intended to live on this deck; he had never seen such a beautiful view.

“Go get unpacked, Harry. Then, we can go for a walk by the water.”

Harry smiled broadly. “This is amazing. Thank you so much for taking me on vacation with you.”

Severus frowned at him. “You do realize that going on vacations with one’s charge is completely normal.”

“I know. I know.” Harry rolled his eyes. Severus had made sure to tell him that at least once everyday since he had told him about the trip. “I’ve just never been on a trip like this before and it’s…nice.”

Harry blushed slightly at the admission. It had taken him a bit of time to get used to someone checking up on him. Severus had taken on the role of guardian with a determination and persistence that had chafed at first. It was strange to have someone check on his grades and make sure he made mealtimes. But now, six months later, he could appreciate the new feeling of safety. There was someone who was looking out for him, helping him and fighting for him at every turn (even if it meant fighting Harry himself).

“What did you expect? To spend all summer brewing and preparing the potions stores?” Severus teased. “I assure you I need a break just as much, if not more, than you do. Teaching you brats is not for the faint of heart.”

Harry stuck out his tongue playfully and laughed. He felt lighter than maybe he ever had, and almost giddy with excitement.

“When do Sirius and Remus get here?”

Severus’s lips pursed. “They will be here in 2 days. They have that cottage.” He pointed toward a small blue house a little ways east. “And yes, I will be nice, even if I do think Black hovers too much.”

Overwhelmed with happiness and caught up in the moment, he acted on impulse and grabbed Severus around the middle. It was a fierce quick hug, the first one Harry had ever initiated with him, and when he tried to pull away Snape gripped him tighter.

“It will be a good summer, Harry. I will make sure of it.”

Harry smiled into his chest. “I know.”

The End.
End Notes:

Thank you again so much for reading! I hope that you all enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it. Please leave me a review and let me know what you think of the ending. Wishing you all happy holidays and a happy new year!



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3923