A Patchwork Family by aspionage
Summary:

When Harry blows up Aunt Marge, Dumbledore decides he can't be left to his own devices in Diagon Alley for the whole of August and sends him to stay with the only person available - one highly displeased Severus Snape. Harry, for his part, doesn't think this summer could get any worse. After all, what could be more unpleasant than living with Professor Snape?

Finding out that Draco Malfoy is also staying at Spinner’s End, of course.

None of them know how they'll survive a month in each others' company, but they might just come out the other side with something they all need the most: a family.


Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Cranky
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: Story
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Adoption, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 3rd summer, 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Bullying, Panic attack, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 45 Completed: No Word count: 339970 Read: 19897 Published: 29 Mar 2024 Updated: 14 Apr 2024

1. New Arrivals and Old Grudges by aspionage

2. A Lion Amongst Serpents by aspionage

3. An Ill-Fated Shopping Trip by aspionage

4. Teatime Tales and New Betrayals by aspionage

5. Blackmailed by aspionage

6. The Boiling Point by aspionage

7. He Knows by aspionage

8. Bite the Hand That Feeds by aspionage

9. Lessons in Cookery(and Other Matters) by aspionage

10. A Pendulum Swing by aspionage

11. Detente, Monopoly, and a Lie by Omission by aspionage

12. Unusual Common Ground by aspionage

13. A Study in Pity by aspionage

14. Mutually Assured Destruction by aspionage

15. A Midnight Confrontation by aspionage

16. Chafing Ties by aspionage

17. A Hound in Shining Armour by aspionage

18. Winds of Change by aspionage

19. The First Goodbye by aspionage

20. Growing Pains by aspionage

21. A Pedagogical Disagreement by aspionage

22. Distance, Timing, Breakdown, Fighting by aspionage

23. Reconciliation by aspionage

24. Changes by aspionage

25. Interlude: Draco by aspionage

26. Jealousy by aspionage

27. A Fractious November by aspionage

28. Breaking the Dam by aspionage

29. The Fragility of Trust by aspionage

30. Consequences by aspionage

31. Lessons within Lessons by aspionage

32. Tea with Andromeda by aspionage

33. Merry Christmas by aspionage

34. Sick Days by aspionage

35. Unexpected Company by aspionage

36. The Trouble with Fathers by aspionage

37. A Lack of Options by aspionage

38. The Trial of Lucius Malfoy by aspionage

39. The Department of Magical Law Enforcement by aspionage

40. Family Intervention by aspionage

41. Gone by aspionage

42. Favourite Cousin by aspionage

43. The Grim by aspionage

44. Expecto Patronum by aspionage

45. Veritaserum by aspionage

New Arrivals and Old Grudges by aspionage

Harry stared into the dregs of tea at the bottom of his cup, a strange buzzing in his ears drowning out the chatter of the Leaky Cauldron. His chest felt tight and crushed, like Dudley was sitting on it. Had Harry recently suffered a blow to the head? Perhaps he’d concussed himself during the chaotic Knight Bus journey last night. That seemed like the only plausible explanation for Professor Dumbledore showing up here and telling Harry that he was going to spend all of August living with Professor Snape. 

 

“Harry?” he glanced up at Dumbledore. The Headmaster was watching him with an expression of slight concern.

 

“Can’t I just stay here, sir?” Harry asked, gripping the mug so tightly he thought it might shatter between his palms.

 

Dumbledore sighed. “I’m afraid not, Harry. You’re too young to be left in Diagon Alley alone for such a long time. It’s just not appropriate.”

 

Harry bit his lip. “But - well, you know that Snape doesn’t really like me, right?”

 

“Professor Snape,” Dumbledore gently rebuked him.

 

“Right. Well, I’m sure he’d much rather I stay here!”

 

“Professor Snape has already agreed to watch over you for the rest of the summer at his home,” Dumbledore said.

 

Harry was now wondering if Snape had been the one to suffer a recent head injury, as he could not imagine any other circumstances that would compel the man to agree to allow Harry to stay with him. After all, as far as Harry knew, full personality transplants were not possible yet.

 

“I assure you, everything will be fine," Dumbledore said in a tone that was probably intended to be soothing. As he'd just used the phrase 'everything will be fine' while referring to Harry and Snape being forced to cohabit for a month, it ended up falling a bit flat. "I’ll be keeping on top of the situation, and will deal with any potential problems that arise.”

 

“But sir, if I’m staying at his home, couldn’t I just stay in Gryffindor Tower or something instead? I bet we'd both prefer that!”

 

“Professor Snape doesn’t live at Hogwarts during the summers,” Dumbledore said, a hint of a smile playing around his lips. “Us teachers do have lives outside of school, you know!”

 

Huh. For some reason, Harry had always imagined his professors staying in their Hogwarts quarters year-round. That was ridiculous, of course, but still…Snape in Harry’s mind was inextricably tied to the dungeons. Of course, there was nothing stopping Snape from living in some sort of dungeon or cave outside of Hogwarts. That certainly wouldn’t surprise him.

 

“Just - are you sure there isn’t anyone else?” Harry said, a hint of desperation shining through into his voice.

 

“This is the only solution,” Dumbledore said, shaking his head. Harry’s heart sank. “Professor Snape is the only person who I’d trust with your safety.”

 

Harry tried not to groan as he nodded, lips pressed tightly together. This was just his luck, really.

 

“We really ought to get going,” Dumbledore said, glancing at his watch. Harry noticed it didn’t have any numbers - instead, it was lined with different planets, floating across the face. “Professor Snape is expecting us. I have some spells that can help you pack quickly, if you’ll direct me to your room?”

 

Harry nodded again. He felt strangely drained and couldn’t bring himself to speak as he led Dumbledore to the stairs of the Leaky Cauldron and took him upstairs to the room he’d been staying in since last night.

 

Things had been looking bright for the first time in a while. He wasn't in trouble with the Ministry for blowing up Aunt Marge, he didn't have to stay with the Dursleys and he had weeks of time in Diagon Alley at his fingertips.

 

Of course it was too good to be true. Now he was staying with Snape, of all people, for the whole of August? He couldn’t think of a person he’d like to stay with less! Well, maybe Voldemort would be worse. That thought unsurprisingly didn't help Harry feel any better. After all, Snape really, really hated Harry. It was bad enough spending two hours of Potions with him every week, but actually living with the man, in the confined quarters of a house? It sounded positively hellish.

 

He watched distantly as Dumbledore waved his wand, causing the few belongings Harry had bothered to unpack to fly through the air and settle into his trunk, which shut with a noisy click. Dumbledore tapped it with his wand, and the trunk and Hedwig’s empty cage shrank until they were small enough for Dumbledore to place in his pocket.

 

"Now, Harry, have you ever Apparated before?" he asked as they headed back down to the main floor of the Leaky Cauldron. Tom gave them a toothless grin and a wave as they walked past the bar.

 

"No, sir," Harry said.

 

“It shouldn’t be too bad, although it may feel a little odd your first time," Dumbledore said, stopping in the pub's foyer. "Now, please take my arm."

 

Harry nervously complied. He was suddenly overcome by the sensation that he was being squeezed through a very small, very narrow tube that crushed the air out of his lungs. They landed with a crack and Harry doubled over, hit headlong by a wave of nausea.

 

"Apparating can have that effect for a first-timer," Dumbledore said serenely as Harry took deep, gasping breaths, trying not to lose the contents of his lunch. "Now, Professor Snape's house is just a few streets away. If you'll follow me…"

 

Harry hurried after Dumbledore, still feeling a bit ill, and did his best to take in his surroundings. They were on a road lined with terraced brick houses, all in various states of disrepair. A group of teens were standing on a street corner smoking. They looked Harry and Dumbledore up and down as they walked by and started snickering behind their hands. Harry assumed it was because of Dumbledore's bright magenta robes, which looked very out of place in such a mundane, Muggle area.

 

Eventually, Dumbledore turned down a road named Spinners End and walked up a cracked driveway to the front door of one highly derelict house. As Professor Dumbledore knocked on the door, causing flakes of grey paint to fall to the ground like dirty snow, Harry was half-afraid the door would fall back off its hinges. He thought such a dingy place was appropriate for his most hated Potions professor.

 

The door swung open almost instantly, revealing Professor Snape. He’d been so quick that Harry half-suspected he’d been waiting by the door, prepared to pounce. Snape was wearing the same high-necked black robes he always wore when school was in session that reminded Harry so much of a bat.

 

"You're late," he hissed, beady eyes darting between Harry and the Headmaster. Snape was glaring at Harry in particular, like he was a bug that Snape would dearly love to stamp out.

 

"My apologies, Severus," Dumbledore said, stepping forward and into Snape's hallway. Harry noticed he didn't look particularly happy with the Headmaster, either. "We had some things to discuss."

 

Ah, yes, the discussion. That had mostly consisted of Harry listing every possible person he knew that lived in Wizarding Britain who might let Harry live with them, while Dumbledore shot each and every one of them down. It had taken a while before Harry had reluctantly accepted defeat.

 

Dumbledore resized Harry's trunk and Hedwig's empty cage in Snape's hallway. Harry remained on the doorstep. He really didn't want to step inside. Harry remembered hearing that vampires could only attack you if you invited them into your house or something. Perhaps that was still true if Harry went inside of Snape's house; he'd always been half convinced that Snape actually was a vampire, after all.

 

"I trust you'll also remember our conversation, Severus?" Dumbledore said rather pointedly, his head inclining ever so slightly in Harry's direction.

 

"Yes," Snape said in a tightly controlled voice while shooting daggers at Harry. He felt his stomach flop like a fish. Yes, the old hatred was certainly still there...

 

And now Harry had to actually live with the man that despised him so intensely.

 

"I do apologise, but I’ve got an important appointment at the Ministry soon, so I’m afraid I must take my leave," Dumbledore said, sounding far too cheerful for a man that was sending Harry to his doom. "I'll see you soon, Severus! Goodbye, Harry."

 

He stepped past Harry and began to walk back down the road. Harry longingly watched as the Headmaster left, wishing he was accompanying him.

 

"Well, don't just stand there dawdling like an idiot!" Snape snapped, jolting Harry back to his senses. "Get inside!”

 

Harry hopped over the threshold, feeling his sense of foreboding grow as the door slammed shut behind him. The slightly medicinal smell of herbs hit him immediately. The whole house smelled faintly like the Potions storage cupboard back at Hogwarts.

 

Harry barely had time to take in the dark, dingy hallway he was standing in before Snape rounded on him in a flurry of black robes.

 

“Now you listen here, Potter,” he growled. “The Headmaster has filled me in on your little stunt, and he has given me free reign to do whatever I please about it. Blowing up your aunt? I already knew you were an insubordinate, spoiled child, but this is a new extreme even for you!”

 

Harry ground his teeth and didn’t reply.

 

“Of course, you would spit in the face of your relations’ goodwill,” Snape sneered, “but because you decided to push your family too far, I’m the one stuck with you in my house for the rest of the summer. I’m highly displeased and believe me, you’ll soon be just as unhappy as I am.”

 

“Already getting there,” Harry muttered mutinously.

 

“Do not talk back!” Snape barked. Harry couldn’t help but jump back, suddenly feeling horribly certain the man was about to strike him across the face. Snape did no such thing, however. “I will have none of your insolence, is that understood? I have complete control over you and your life for this month, and I can make you utterly miserable if you choose to misbehave."

 

Harry scoffed. He could be the model of manners and decorum, but Snape wasn't able to see past his overly large nose when it came to Harry. It was pointless trying, really.

 

"Rule-breaking will not be tolerated here, Potter, let that be known," Snape said, shaking his finger at Harry. "You’ll soon be sorry you ever left your relatives’ tender care.”

 

Harry resisted the urge to snort. Tender care. Anyone who spent more than five minutes in the company of Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon would be quickly corrected about that assumption, particularly when it came to their relationship with Harry.

 

"Do not test me, Potter," Snape said in a soft, dangerous voice. "I can happily make your life hell."

 

It was with that final ominous statement lingering in the air that Snape finally stepped back and gestured towards the rest of the house. On the left hand side of the tiny hallway Harry was standing in was a rickety-looking staircase. His eyes automatically went straight to the cupboard underneath it. The hallway also contained two doors, both of which were closed.

 

"Leave your trunk," Snape ordered. Harry quickly did so as Snape briskly stepped forward. He threw open the furthest door.

 

"The kitchen," he said, gesturing to the interior of the room without making room for Harry to step inside. The kitchen was rather grimy, with scratched-up wooden cupboards and a cracked tile floor. A small table was crammed against the wall at the far side of the room. A sliding glass door revealed a brown and weed-ridden garden that Harry thought would have sent Aunt Petunia into a fit. It looked truly wretched, and was a far sight from the perfectly manicured lawns of Privet Drive.

 

Snape seemed to pick up on Harry's disapproval and scowled. "I don't live in a mansion like you're no doubt used to, Potter. See, some of us have to actually work for our money instead of getting everything handed to us on a silver platter. If this doesn't meet your oh-so high standards, you'll just have to find a way to cope."

 

"It's fine," Harry muttered. This seemed to be the wrong thing to say, judging by Snape's hostile glare, but it was always the wrong thing with him, wasn't it?

 

Snape spun on his heel and opened the second door.

 

"The living room," he said brusquely. Snape was apparently determined to give Harry a tour while using as few words as humanly possible. Harry peeked through the doorway, almost toppling over with shock when he saw who was sitting on the sofa like it was a throne, scowling up at Harry.

 

It was none other than Draco Malfoy.

 

Malfoy?" Harry gasped.

 

Malfoy shut the book he was reading and glowered at Harry. "Potter."

 

"Did Professor Dumbledore not mention?" Snape asked silkily. He seemed to be greatly pleased by Harry's horrified face. "Draco is also staying with me at the moment."

 

Harry hadn't known it was possible to dread the rest of August more than he had been since Dumbledore had told him about this awful arrangement. How wrong he'd been…

To be continued...
A Lion Amongst Serpents by aspionage

"Why are you staying here?” Harry asked, well and truly baffled.

 

"None of your business!" Malfoy snapped, his grey eyes flashing. "And if you know what's good for you, you'll keep your nose out of it!"

 

"Now, now," Snape said lazily. "Potter, with me. We aren’t finished."

 

Harry bit down on his lip as he followed Snape out of the living room, trying to resist the urge to hit back at Malfoy with a sharp retort that would almost certainly get him into trouble. Had Harry done something to upset Dumbledore or something? That was the only reason Harry could think of for the Headmaster to dump him in what was Harry's own personal hell.

 

They walked up the creaky staircase, to a cramped, dark landing. Snape pointed to two closed doors opposite to the staircase.

 

"My bedroom and my study respectively," Snape said. "You are not to enter either of them without permission unless you are on the brink of death. You will only disobey me if you aren’t particularly fond of keeping all of your limbs attached to your body. Are we clear?"

 

"Yes," Harry muttered.

 

"Yes sir," the man snapped. "It may be summer, but I am still your professor and I deserve some respect. I know you get away with not having any manners back at home, Potter, but that kind of behaviour will not be tolerated here."

 

Harry was starting to think that Professor Snape would get on remarkably well with Uncle Vernon. He also spent a lot of time banging on about respect.

 

"That is the lavatory," Snape said, gesturing to a cramped bathroom full of cracked tiles and a combined bathtub and shower. "And this is where you will be sleeping."

 

He strode through the open door closest to the staircase, and Harry followed. The room was a decent bit bigger than Harry's bedroom back at the Dursleys. It was painted a light blue, and there were two twin beds set against opposite walls with a small desk in between them. Across from the desk were two dressers and a half-full bookshelf. The bed furthest from the door was already sloppily made, and on the part of the desk closest to that bed was a photograph of Malfoy with his parents. Despite the fact that wizarding photographs moved, the Malfoy family were barely more animated than they would have been in a Muggle photograph. They were so stiffly posed they appeared practically statuesque.

 

Harry got the impression that Malfoy had been here for a while, judging by how well-decorated it was. Why was that, though? Why wasn’t he at home with his parents? Of course, any curiosity Harry was feeling was overcome by the waves of dread pounding him. He and Malfoy were sharing a room. It couldn't get worse…

 

Once again, Snape scowled at Harry.

 

"The two of you will be sharing," he said, clearly noticing Harry’s trepidation. "You both share a dormitory with four other boys when school is in session, so I don't doubt you'll find it in yourselves to manage. Accio Potter's trunk."

 

Harry's trunk and Hedwig's cage flew up the stairs and landed neatly at the foot of the unused bed.

 

"You'll be expected to look after your owl, Potter," Snape said, glaring at the empty cage. "I won't be picking up after her."

 

"Of course, sir," he said irritably. What kind of person did Snape take Harry for? Of course he’d look after Hedwig! Harry just hoped she’d know how to get to him here. He’d just sent Hedwig to Egypt with a letter for Ron explaining his situation the night before Dumbledore had come with his terrible news. Still, she'd managed to find Harry at the Leaky Cauldron, so hopefully she'd work it out.

 

"You can unpack later," Snape said as Harry headed in the direction of his trunk. "Come back downstairs now. I want to make sure my rules are perfectly clear so you can’t claim ignorance when you misbehave."

 

Here we go, Harry thought wearily as he trudged down the stairs. His relatives just loved to make rules, particularly ones that were completely impossible to obey so Harry had no real chance of abiding by them. They always loved to find fault with him. Harry sat down on one of the ugly cream sofas, as far away from Malfoy as he could get, while Snape sat in a wing-backed armchair nearby.

 

"Now, the rules," he said, steepling his fingers and regarding Harry closely. "First of all, you will be expected to do plenty of work around here, Potter, as punishment for blowing up that aunt of yours. Whatever pampered life you were leading at home is well and truly over. There will be chores, and you will do them to a level that I am satisfied with or else I will be highly displeased."

 

He glared at Harry, who was overcome by the sudden knowledge that Snape would probably go out of his way to find fault no matter how much work he did.

 

Malfoy looked up, a gleeful expression affixed to his pointy features. “Are you serious? Potter, you blew up your aunt? How ridiculous!”

 

“Stuff it, Malfoy,” Harry snapped.

 

"Second of all,” Snape said loudly, “you will be respectful. You will address me as ‘professor’ or ‘sir’ at all times. You will be polite to Draco, who will likewise be polite to you."

 

To Harry's surprise, he actually gave Malfoy a stern look. His expression of joy about the incident with Aunt Marge quickly faded.

 

"I am aware of your contentious relationship at Hogwarts," Snape said sternly, "and I would prefer if my house wasn’t reduced to rubble while you stay here together. I'm not asking for you to be friends, but I am asking for you to be civil. Do you understand me?"

 

"Yes, sir," Malfoy muttered, folding his arms and sinking back into the sofa.

 

"Yes, sir," Harry added.

 

"You will not go into my Potions lab,” Snape said, counting off the rules on his long, pale fingers. “You will be in bed with the lights out by ten-thirty each night. You will dedicate a reasonable portion of your day to completing your summer assignments, which I will be checking. If you want to keep your wand in your possession, you will not dare to use magic. You will not leave the property without my permission."

 

Harry felt like his head was spinning as Snape listed rule after rule after rule. The man must be doing this because he was on some sort of sick power trip, Harry reasoned, because there was no logical reason for a person to have this many rules unless they were setting you up to fail. Another favoured tactic of his relatives…

 

Harry also highly doubted that Malfoy was subjected to any of these rules, even if Snape claimed he was. Snape favoured the Slytherins during term time - why would this be any different? No, this was just a new way to make Harry miserable. How typical.

 

"You may now go and unpack, Potter," Snape said when he finally finished his spiel. "I expect you for dinner in half an hour. Do not be late."

 

As he went back upstairs, Harry wondered if he was going to be making the meals here, like he did at the Dursleys. From the sounds of it, though, Snape was the one cooking. That was certainly different. Still, judging by Snape’s chores comment Harry would certainly be doing enough as it was.

 

Harry wondered if Snape was any good in the kitchen. He was certainly decent at brewing, but Harry wasn’t exactly a bad cook and those skills certainly hadn’t translated to his Potions lessons. He couldn’t be sure if the opposite would be true.

 

Harry didn’t bother to put anything away once he entered the bedroom. Malfoy, on the other hand, had quickly decorated what was clearly his half of the room. There was a Quidditch poster in the bright yellow and black striped colours of the Wimbourne Wasps, as well as a Slytherin pennant. For some reason, there was also a page of sheet music stuck to the wall.

 

He certainly wasn’t just staying for a visit. Malfoy looked rather settled in this room…

 

Harry didn't dare retrieve any of his things from his trunk. He didn’t trust either Snape or Malfoy not to damage his belongings like Dudley used to - in fact, Harry was almost certain Malfoy would take just as much pleasure in ruining what precious little Harry owned as his cousin did. Still, Dudley at least had been too scared of ‘freaky tricks’ to actually go into Harry’s trunk, which wouldn’t keep Malfoy out. He needed the layers of Dudley’s cast-offs to keep his more precious belongings hidden at the bottom, like the photo album of his parents or his father's cloak. 

 

So, after a quick trip to the bathroom to put his toothbrush away, Harry had essentially finished unpacking. He didn't dare go downstairs - the Dursleys had always gone by the rule that Harry needed to be out of sight at all times unless he was working - but he didn't really have anything else to do, so Harry flopped onto his bed. It was reasonably comfortable, but he still winced as his bruised parts of his back made contact with the mattress. Things at the Dursleys were never ideal, but Aunt Marge’s presence at Privet Drive always tended to stir up Uncle Vernon’s more violent side. Most of the time, he was satisfied with simply shoving Harry around unless he did something wrong, but whenever Aunt Marge was there, Uncle Vernon tended to hit Harry a lot more. It was as if he was proving some strange kind of point to her, since Aunt Marge didn’t think Harry was properly disciplined.

 

Then, of course, was Dudley, who always liked to use Harry as his personal punching bag. While he could generally outrun his cousin, Dudley occasionally managed to corner Harry, which was never pleasant for him. There had been a particularly nasty incident involving the stairs a couple of days ago which had left Harry rather sore.

 

Harry just hoped Snape didn't share his relatives’ violent tendencies.

 

He didn't think Dumbledore would let Snape beat him or anything, but to be fair, Harry also hadn't thought Dumbledore would banish him to Snape's house in the first place. Anything was fair game, especially considering how much Snape hated him, and he had said that Dumbledore had given him permission to deal with Harry however he wanted for blowing up Aunt Marge. Since Snape despised Harry perhaps more than his aunt and uncle did, which was quite a feat, he’d almost certainly take pleasure in hurting Harry. That wasn’t even considering the magic he had at his disposal, which Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia didn’t possess. There were probably hundreds of unpleasant hexes and curses Snape could throw at Harry which he’d be completely defenceless against.

 

Harry shivered, rolling over onto his side. As he did so, the door swung open, revealing a scowling Malfoy.

 

"Potter," he spat, looking Harry up and down and wrinkling his nose.

 

"Malfoy," he said with equal disdain.

 

"Now listen here," Malfoy said, leaning against the door frame. "I was here first. This is my room, got it? You touch any of my stuff and you're dead."

 

"I wouldn't want to touch your stupid stuff anyway!" Harry said, voice rising. "You leave me alone, I leave you alone. What are you even doing here, anyway?"

 

Malfoy's face flushed. "I could ask you the same question. Couldn't go to that dump Weasley calls a house this year? Is it true they all share one bedroom? Although I doubt they could afford that, even…"

 

"You take that back!" Harry shouted.

 

"Make me, scarhead."

 

"You stupid, inbred git -"

 

"Boys!" Snape's ringing voice echoed through the house. "Come down here immediately!"

 

After exchanging one final glare, Harry and Malfoy silently trooped down the stairs. An irate-looking Snape was standing in the doorway of the kitchen, arms folded.

 

"What did I just say about being civil, gentlemen?" Snape asked icily. "Potter, is your thick skull so impenetrable that not even my simple list of rules can get through to you?"

 

The unfairness of Harry's whole situation finally boiled over. "But sir, he started it! I-"

 

"Silence!" Snape shouted, cowing Harry. "I do not care for your whining and excuses! Are you three? No? I thought not, although your behaviour suggests otherwise. Now, since I clearly can't trust the two of you to be out of my sight without it ending in a shouting match, you can go set the table and sit quietly while I finish making dinner. Get on with it."

 

Harry stormed into the kitchen with Malfoy as the two of them started laying out the cutlery and plates, jostling and elbowing each other the whole way. He hated this whole situation so much.

 

A few minutes later, Snape flicked his wand and three portions of spaghetti bolognese appeared on the plates he and Malfoy had placed out. Harry had only arrived at the Leaky Cauldron the previous evening, so he hadn’t had a lot of time to catch up on meals after the pitiful portions he was given at the Dursleys. As a result, he practically inhaled his food. Harry had been right - apparently, Potions skills did translate to the ability to cook. The food was delicious.

 

He was about halfway through his meal when he looked up and noticed Snape was watching him and looking vaguely disgusted. Harry was aware he was probably eating a little quicker than was strictly polite, but in the Dursley household any food on his plate was fair game to Dudley, so he typically tried to finish as much as he could before his cousin got bored of his own food and started coming after Harry’s already meagre scraps. That coupled with the general lack of meals at Privet Drive meant Harry really couldn't bring himself to care about table manners most of the time.

 

Besides, Harry would much rather wolf down his food so he could get back to sitting silently in Malfoy’s room where no one would bother him, since eating with Snape was weird. He and Malfoy were making polite conversation with one another, much like Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia and Dudley would do, but it was still strange hearing Snape engage in dinner talk instead of barking brewing instructions and making snide remarks about Harry’s parentage.

 

Of course, his and Malfoy’s discussion was still very Snape-like.

 

“So, the billywig stings we added earlier,” Snape said. “What were they a substitution for?”

 

Malfoy paused for a moment, his forehead wrinkled with concentration. “Doxy fangs?”

 

Snape nodded. “Correct. It should increase the potency of the brew.”

 

“I don’t quite understand why, Severus,” Malfoy said, tilting his head to one side. “Aren’t doxy fangs filled with far more venom than billywig stings?”

 

God, it was so weird hearing Malfoy call Snape by his first name. Harry wondered what Snape would do if he did the same thing. Explode, probably.

 

“Typically yes, but due to the lower level of acidity present in billywig stings there is a better interaction between them and the rest of the ingredients in the Wideye Potion,” Snape explained. "It lessens the potential side effects of nausea."

 

"Interesting," Malfoy said thoughtfully.

 

Harry, of course, understood exactly none of this. He didn't have a clue what doxy fangs could be, and Harry could only remember what billywig stings did from an incident back in February where Neville had accidentally stung himself and had levitated all the way to the dungeon ceiling. He’d needed to be dragged by the arms to the hospital wing like a strange, boy-shaped helium balloon.

 

Once Harry had finished eating he remained awkwardly at the table, even though he desperately wanted to leave. Was he supposed to ask permission to be excused? He never had to at the Dursleys. It was understood he’d immediately begin washing up the pots and pans after eating, since they couldn’t stand the sight of Harry for any longer than they had to. Still, Snape had a slight obsession with manners, but simultaneously Harry didn’t dare to interrupt his conversation with Malfoy…

 

In the end, Harry just sat quietly, paralysed by indecision until Snape and Malfoy had finished their food. Snape raised his wand and twirled it in a corkscrew motion, causing the knives, forks and plates to fly into the sink and begin scrubbing themselves. Harry made a conscious effort to not look too shocked, since Malfoy would surely pounce on that, but it was strange to see such casual magic being utilised after such a mundane summer. Of course Snape wouldn’t stand around and do the washing up, would he? Harry was suddenly overcome by a rather vivid mental image of the man in yellow rubber gloves and struggled to control his twitching lips.

 

Of course, as soon as Snape noticed Harry experiencing any sort of positive emotion, he had to ruin it. When he noticed Harry trying to suppress his laughter, Snape’s eyebrows contracted sharply. “So, Potter. I’m assuming you haven’t bothered to crack open a single book this summer?”

 

Harry ground his back teeth. If Snape only knew the amount of sneaking around he had to engage in just to get a peek at his summer assignments! Most people wouldn’t go to nearly that much effort for homework!

 

“I’ve done some of it.”

 

“Bring down whatever pitiful work you've produced,” Snape ordered. “If I’m stuck with you for the rest of August, I shall at least make an effort to make the lives of my colleagues slightly easier by remedying whatever sorry excuse for homework you’ve scraped together.”

 

Harry walked out of the kitchen without another word, taking deep, calming breaths. It really wouldn’t do to explode at Snape in his own house, but it was mightily difficult to keep his temper, especially since he didn’t have Ron or Hermione here to pointedly nudge him or stamp on his foot when things got too bad like he would have in Potions.

 

Harry gathered up his Astronomy homework and his half-finished History of Magic essay, as well as the required textbooks. He walked back downstairs and found Snape leaning against the kitchen counter, looking remarkably unimpressed. Malfoy had somehow obtained a History of Magic textbook of his own in the time Harry had been away, and was sitting cross-legged on a kitchen chair with it open in his lap.

 

Harry handed his Astronomy homework over to Snape and turned to sit at the kitchen table, but Snape also snatched the History of Magic essay from his hands and started reading it. As his eyes darted back and forth across the parchment, his lips curled into a sneer.

 

"And what exactly is this?" Snape asked icily.

 

"My homework," Harry said.

 

"You call this homework?" Snape hissed, waving the essay about. "Honestly, Potter! This is a pathetic attempt at a History of Magic essay. Your presentation is utterly appalling! It's as if you wrote it in the dark!"

 

Because I bloody well did! Harry wanted to scream. Snape didn't have a clue what it was like to tiptoe around your relatives, trying to sneakily do your homework under the covers at night and listening out for a break in your uncle's snoring as a cue to turn the lights out. No idea.

 

"You will redo this immediately," Snape growled, slamming the parchment onto the kitchen table. Harry hated himself for flinching. He picked up the essay and threw himself down opposite Malfoy to get started. The sooner this essay was finished, the sooner he could get away from these horrid people.

 

 


 

 

Harry sighed and put down his quill. He'd spent the entire evening rewriting the stupid History of Magic essay, and he was bored out of his mind. Writing three feet about the witch burnings of the Middle Ages was bad enough the first time around, but twice? It was ridiculous, the essay was fine! Besides, Harry highly doubted that Professor Binns even read the essays he was given.

 

He glowered at Snape, who was leaning against the kitchen counter and writing on a piece of parchment that was somehow suspended in mid-air. He was probably tearing a Potions essay to shreds and covering it with nasty, red-inked feedback, judging by the aggressive scratching of his quill. Harry could easily imagine the cruel comments. A dunderheaded fool like you shouldn't be allowed within a mile of a cauldron, or I'm sure the world would be a better place if you met an early demise drinking a Befuddlement Beverage full of asphodel. Snape's marking was rather infamous in Gryffindor Tower, and it had become something of a game for Harry and his dorm mates to compare what vicious insults the man had conjured up and vote on which was the vilest. Harry and Neville were generally the ones fighting for first place.

 

Of course, laughing off Snape's mean-spirited feedback was a lot more difficult when he didn't have his friends around him. Harry couldn't help but glower in Snape's direction as his simmering resentment towards the man grew hotter and closer to an explosion. He just wanted to be far away from Snape and stupid Malfoy, and getting stuck in the same room as them all evening was rather vexing. Still, the History of Magic essay was at last completed. It may have taken him all evening, but he was done, and if it wasn't good enough for Snape he could just go -

 

"Potter!" Snape was now staring at Harry; he'd noticed him watching.

 

"What?" Harry said, hoping Snape couldn’t somehow read his thoughts.

 

"What did I say about slacking off?" Snape asked irritably. "You seem to have a great struggle with terminal laziness, Potter. I'll happily keep you here all night if you don't get on with that work."

 

"I’m already finished, sir," Harry said through gritted teeth, trying to resist the urge to ball up the essay and hurl it straight at Snape's oily nose.

 

"You'd better not have rushed it," Snape warned. Harry didn't respond; Snape was just trying to goad him, and he wouldn't give him the satisfaction.

 

"Give it here, then," Snape ordered. Harry handed over the essay, sitting back with his arms folded as Snape's eyes raked over it, obviously trying to find fault.

 

"You spelt Ulgurg the Ugly wrong," he said. Once again, Harry didn't respond. If he could just keep his mouth shut for a couple more minutes, he’d be free…

 

Snape's expression twisted into a contemptuous, unpleasant smile. "Well look at that! It turns out you are actually capable of writing a coherent essay, Potter. I'd never have thought it, considering the appalling Potions work you turn in on a regular basis."

 

Only Snape would be able to turn a decent History of Magic essay into an insult, Harry reflected.

 

"Fix the spelling mistakes and then you're free to leave," Snape said, turning away from him. "Draco, how are you finding it?"

 

Harry couldn't help the surge of irritation coursing through him as Snape helped Malfoy sort through some dates he was confused about. The difference in treatment was just so unfair, and it infuriated him.

 

Still, he’d been released at last. Harry wasn’t one to overlook small mercies. He slunk upstairs, sat quietly on his bed, and watched the windows of a dozen houses light up while the sun sank below the horizon. Harry wished he was sitting in one of those houses, or quit literally anywhere else on the planet that wasn't here.

 

Where was he, anyway? Dumbledore hadn't said, and he certainly wasn’t stupid enough to ask Snape about anything. Even if Harry didn’t know their exact location, though, it was certainly a Muggle town. Harry was quite surprised that Snape lived in such a normal place, actually. He’d thought Snape would live in some fancy wizarding house, like the majority of the Slytherins seemed to. Malfoy was always going on about his peacock-guarded Manor, after all. Snape was a pureblood (wasn’t he?) and so Harry had assumed he’d live in just as magical of a place. Snape, shockingly enough, just lived in your everyday, slightly run-down Muggle town. The house itself wasn’t even particularly magical, like the Burrow had been. It was certainly strange.

 

There was also a bigger question bothering Harry. What on earth was Malfoy doing here, living at Snape's house? Harry didn't get the impression that he was just visiting Snape, considering how many personal belongings he had strewn about the bedroom. Malfoy had been oddly defensive when Harry had asked about it earlier, too, although that could just be chalked up to his general hatred of Harry.

 

Part of Harry wanted to investigate and go rifling through Malfoy's things while he was in here alone, but he stopped himself at the last minute. If Malfoy walked in and caught Harry poking around, all hell would break loose. Besides, he was sure to let the truth slip over the course of the next… well, month. Harry shivered. He had to survive a month here…

 

With a sigh, Harry retrieved his quill and a piece of parchment and sat down at the rickety desk in between his and Malfoy’s beds. Time to try and find a way to explain all this to his friends for whenever Hedwig got back from Egypt…

 

At quarter-past ten, the door, which Harry had been irritated to discover did not have a lock, swung open again. It was Malfoy.

 

"What do you want?" Harry asked suspiciously.

 

"To get changed? Are you forgetting this is my room too, you brainless twit?" Malfoy shot Harry a disgusted look before he began rifling through his drawers. As Harry was unable to think up a better retort than 'takes one to know one', he made the wise decision to remain silent as Malfoy pulled a pair of silk pyjamas out of his drawers and stormed off to the bathroom, slamming the door shut behind him.

 

Harry decided he might as well get changed while Malfoy was out, and quickly threw on his pyjamas; cast-offs from Dudley, of course. He couldn’t help but feel a little underdressed in the hand-me-downs. From what Harry could tell, all of Malfoy’s clothes seemed rather expensive and well-fitted, while Harry’s were barely serviceable and certainly didn’t fit him. It was always a humiliating experience to wear clothing that dwarfed you so terribly, especially around people like Malfoy who would laugh at you for it.

 

After a quick trip to and from the bathroom, Harry began to settle into bed just as Snape walked into the room.

 

"Neither of you shut this door," he warned. "I don't want you two arguing while you're in here alone. When you prove you can be civil, I'll let you shut the door at night. I'll see you at eight o'clock tomorrow morning for breakfast. Do not be late."

 

With that, he walked off down the corridor, leaving the door ajar. It sounded like he'd gone into the off-limits laboratory. With a sigh, Harry rolled over, keeping his back to Malfoy.

 

He'd gone from one extreme to the other, it seemed. At the Dursleys, he may have been locked in his room from the outside, but at least he was able to have some privacy to do as he pleased while in there. Here, Harry didn't even have a room to himself where he could escape from Malfoy and Snape. And a bedtime, too! Harry couldn’t even remember the last time he’d been told to go to bed at a certain time! The Dursleys couldn’t care less if Harry was tired. As long as he was out of their sight, he could stay up as late as he liked. Of course, Spinner’s End bore some similarities to Privet Drive; namely the fact that Harry was once again going to be living with people that deeply, truly hated him.

 

  This is going to be a long, long summer.

To be continued...
An Ill-Fated Shopping Trip by aspionage

Harry stared at the thin, ugly curtains of the room he was staying in, which had begun to glow with the reddish early light of dawn. An old saying he’d once heard came to mind: red sky in the morning, shepherd’s warning. Harry grimly reflected that he didn’t need the sky to remind him of the troubled territory he was navigating. He was, after all, staying in Snape’s house. The whole situation was inherently perilous.

 

Harry sighed quietly and decided to finally give up on sleep and get dressed. He always tended to rise with the sun - his entire childhood had consisted of Aunt Petunia sharply rapping on his cupboard door as soon as daybreak struck so he could make breakfast for the family. She didn’t believe in lazing about and sleeping the day away.

 

Of course, Dudley was always allowed to stay in bed until the early afternoon if he wished.

 

Harry stared at the ticking hands of Malfoy’s alarm clock. Six-thirty, it read. Snape had said that they would eat breakfast at eight, and Harry felt far too uncertain about his place in the household to dare to leave the room before then. He was a little more confident about sneaking around Privet Drive in the small hours, but that was because he knew what floorboards creaked and which doors squeaked. He did not have that knowledge of Spinner’s End, which made that sort of activity far riskier.

 

Still, Harry was itching to go downstairs and get a glass of water. His mouth was bone-dry, and it was really starting to bother him. Besides, Snape hadn’t explicitly banned him, right? He’d certainly listed a lot of rules, but needing permission to get water hadn’t been one.

 

And, Harry thought, he could have a poke around before anyone was awake. That way, he could see where the food was stored, so he knew where to look if Snape started banning him from meals as a punishment. Maybe he could even squirrel some away in his trunk. Following his horrific summer before second year, Harry always kept a small store of food in the bottom of his trunk for when the Dursleys banned him from eating. It was mostly things that didn’t spoil, like Chocolate Frogs and a few Pumpkin Pasties. They had some sort of spell on the packaging that stopped them from going stale, which was extraordinarily useful for the long stretches between meals he often experienced.

 

Still, Harry knew it wasn’t really smart to rely on a meagre store of sweets to get him through the summer, and even Chocolate Frogs started to get old after a while, so he tried to nick whatever he thought the Dursleys wouldn’t miss. Dudley wouldn’t notice if an apple vanished, after all. It would be smart to start doing that here, especially if he was going to be spending all of August at Spinner’s End. That was a long time to go without eating if Harry accidentally made Snape really angry.

 

With a sigh, Harry slid out of bed and cautiously started making his way towards the door. A floorboard squealed and he cringed, casting a fearful look over at the sleeping Malfoy. Luckily for Harry, the noise didn’t wake him. He mumbled something that sounded like “Hinkypunk” before rolling over to face the wall. That was another thing Harry had discovered about Malfoy - he talked in his sleep. A lot. It was slightly irritating, and had contributed to Harry waking up so early that morning.

 

It was rather odd to see Malfoy sleeping, though. Harry didn’t think he’d ever seen Malfoy with a hair out of place, but it actually became quite messy overnight. It had flopped over his eyes, partially obscuring his face, which looked a lot younger without the usual scowl affixed to it.

 

Harry cautiously slipped through the doorway and stared across the hallway at Snape’s closed bedroom door. He hoped the man stayed asleep and crossed his fingers as he stepped onto the staircase with the softest tread he could manage, and made a mental note of which steps creaked as he continued the agonising journey to the kitchen. Harry could barely breathe through his nervousness. It felt like his lungs had shrunk to half their regular size.

 

Finally, Harry made it to the kitchen and carefully shut the door. He leaned against the cupboard, breathing a sigh of relief. He’d made it down unhindered.

 

After a moment, Harry gathered himself and scanned the kitchen, trying to remember which cupboard contained the mugs and glasses. He managed to locate the correct one on his second try and took the glass over to the sink. The pipes groaned as he wrenched on the faucet.

 

Harry had just filled the glass when the kitchen door abruptly slammed open. “What exactly are you doing, Potter?”

 

Harry jolted so violently that the glass slipped out of his hand and clattered noisily into the basin. The only small mercy in the situation was that the glass didn’t shatter, Harry thought, as he turned around to face Snape. Despite the fact it was so early in the morning, Snape was already fully dressed in his dark, high-necked robes. He didn’t look quite normal, though. His oily hair was strangely mussed, like he hadn’t bothered to brush it before hurrying downstairs.

 

“What are you up to?” Snape demanded, eyes narrowing. He looked very irritated. Harry took a deep breath, trying to calm his racing heart. Snape would just like it more if he was freaking out, since he took such pleasure in Harry being miserable.

 

“I was just getting a glass of water,” he managed at last. “I swear.”

 

Snape glared at him suspiciously, like he didn’t fully trust Harry’s answer. “If you’re going to skulk around at such an early hour, you could at least do me the service of respecting my crockery. I do not want to have to replace all of my glasses because you’re incapable of holding things properly! Not all of us are endowed with large fortunes that allow us to throw away kitchenware without due care.”

 

Harry just nodded, not daring to respond. There had been a couple of incidents where he’d dropped plates or cups at Privet Drive, and they almost always resulted in Aunt Petunia slapping him and screeching at him about how useless he was. He raised a hand to his cheek, the ghost of that smarting strike prickling across his flesh. If he was just going to get off with a sharp lecture about caution, Harry would gladly take it.

 

Of course, he wasn’t quite out of the woods yet. Snape was still glowering at Harry like he wanted nothing more than to catch him doing something truly outrageous.

 

“Well, get your water, then,” Snape growled, shutting the kitchen door behind him and storming over to a cupboard. Harry quickly refilled the glass and retreated to the corner of the kitchen. He pressed himself into the wall, trying to make himself as small as possible while he sipped his water and attempted to relax some of the pressure building up in his chest. He felt horribly anxious, since he had no idea how he was supposed to proceed in this situation. Harry felt a little like he was a soldier on a battlefield, valiantly attempting to avoid the active landmines dotting his path, all buried and hidden so he wouldn’t know he was even stepping on one until everything exploded, blowing him to smithereens.

 

As Harry watched Snape, trying to work out if he was allowed to leave the kitchen or not, he realised Snape had retrieved a frying pan and some eggs, which he made crack themselves with a flick of his wand. They instantly began to sizzle as soon as they hit the pan despite the fact that Snape had only just turned on the stove. More magic, Harry presumed. He bit his lip. Should he offer to help? He always had to make breakfast at the Dursleys…

 

Snape noticed Harry watching him and scowled unpleasantly. “What?”

 

“Er… do you want me to do that?” Harry offered, shuffling his feet.

 

Snape scoffed. "If your Potions work is anything to go by, I wouldn't trust you within a mile of a kitchen, Potter. You'd likely poison us, or burn the place down. Set the table and wait for me to be done."

 

Resentment surged through Harry. He’d been helping Aunt Petunia cook since he could reach the stove, and had been doing meals entirely on his own since the age of eight! He might struggle in Potions, but Harry was certainly capable of putting together what looked like scrambled eggs!

 

None of these thoughts could be voiced to Snape, of course, so Harry pressed his lips together and gathered up the knives and forks, taking great care to stay as far away from Snape as was physically possible.

 

Snape didn’t fetch Malfoy once he’d finished cooking. It was only just past seven in the morning, Harry realised. Too early.

 

Instead, Snape and Harry sat opposite one another, dining in complete silence save for the scraping of cutlery. There was no small talk, of course - Harry couldn’t stand Snape, and that feeling was certainly mutual. Besides, even if he’d wanted to chat with the greasy git sitting opposite, Harry couldn’t think of a single thing he could even talk to Snape about. They had literally nothing in common. Still, Harry wondered if the stifling silence felt just as awkward and oppressive to Snape as it did to him.

 

When they'd both mostly finished, Snape cleared his throat. "So, Potter."

 

Harry looked up and nodded slowly, unsure of what Snape could want with him.

 

“I have been doing my best to think up a suitable punishment for your appalling treatment of your aunt,” he said. Harry felt the blood in his veins turn to ice. “Ideally, you would be forced to apologise to the woman in person, but the Headmaster has informed me that Marjorie Dursley has been Obliviated and has no memory of the incident. As it would be unwise to remind her, she will be saved from suffering through what I presume would be a pathetic and insincere attempt at an apology.”

 

Harry had to concede to Snape there - it would be a rather pitiful apology, since Harry wasn’t sorry in the slightest about Aunt Marge, considering the way she treated him. Anyone who has to suffer through days of being called a subnormal idiot in need of a good thrashing ought to be forgiven for snapping when their long-dead parents started being openly and wrongfully insulted!

 

Despite Harry’s silence, Snape had somehow picked up on Harry’s clear lack of remorse. His scowl intensified. “You may not be feeling particularly penitent at the moment, but you’ll certainly be more than contrite when I’m through with you, Potter.”

 

Harry shrank back as Snape’s lips curled back into a snarl. “Perhaps we should start with a good lesson in the value of hard work.” He pointed into the brown, wilted garden beyond the glass sliding door. “Starting today, you will be weeding, mowing and clearing up that entire garden until it is pristine. Without magic, I might add.”

 

Harry presumed Snape had forgotten he was Muggle-raised in his efforts to make Harry look like a lazy wimp. He hadn’t even known magic existed until his eleventh birthday, for God’s sake! He didn't naturally go to use magic for things even when he had access to spells!

 

“I’ll have no weaponised incompetence, either,” Snape warned, shaking his finger. “You will complete the task to a standard which I am pleased with, or I will have you out in that garden working from dawn to dusk until I’m satisfied with your work.”

 

“Yes, sir,” Harry ground out.

 

“Don’t dawdle, then,” Snape said, waving a hand. “The tools are outside."

 

Harry grabbed his empty plate and shoved his chair back with more force than was strictly necessary. He began to walk in the direction of the sink, but the plate flew from his hands before he could reach it and started to wash itself. Harry looked over his shoulder and saw Snape emphatically rolling his eyes as he tucked his wand away. Harry’s cheeks heated up as he stalked out of the kitchen. He really didn’t think it was fair that people expected him to know all this magic stuff instinctually…

 

 


 

 

Harry wiped the sweat from his brow as he wrestled another weed out of the ground. He'd gardened for Aunt Petunia for years, but the garden at Privet Drive was never in the state that Snape's was in. The grass was long and overgrown, while the weeds were hardy and practically everywhere. Harry was deeply unimpressed. It was as if Snape hadn't touched it in years!

 

Harry flexed his swollen, scratched fingers and winced. Snape’s garden was almost entirely thistle, and the thorny plants had turned his hand into a painful mess. Of course Snape would give him an impossible task like this, Harry reflected bitterly. It had been a favourite trick of his aunt and uncle. Give Harry a long list of chores, tell him he wouldn't be able to eat until they were done, and let him go hungry after spending all day slaving away.

 

Harry glanced at his watch. It was half-past one, and he'd barely made a dent in the garden. Snape hadn't called him in for lunch, so he assumed that he was going off Petunia rules - no eating until you were done. Harry certainly wasn’t stupid enough to help himself, so he simply sighed, ignored his rumbling stomach and got back to work.

 

 


 

 

"Potter!"

 

Harry's head snapped around at the sound of Snape's voice. He hadn’t seen the man all day.

 

Harry felt his heart speed up - he was nowhere near done! Was he going to be in trouble for not working hard enough? He probably would be - Snape just loved any excuse to tear him down, after all…

 

“What on earth are you still doing out here?” Snape asked angrily. “I believe I told you yesterday that you’re expected to dedicate appropriate time to your summer assignments?"

 

“I didn’t know I was allowed to stop,” Harry bit out, brushing the dirt from his oversized jeans.

 

“Oh, don’t be ridiculous,” Snape snapped. “I don’t appreciate you playing the fool. Stop trying to worm your way out of your schoolwork and come inside.”

 

Harry felt his shoulders slump. Now he didn't even have a chance to fix his lack of work. Still, he was absolutely exhausted. It was almost three o'clock, and Harry had been at it since about half-past seven that morning. His arms were jelly-like and trembling from all the work, while the scrambled eggs he'd eaten for breakfast felt very distant.

 

As he walked into the kitchen, where Malfoy was already sitting at the table doing homework, Snape frowned. "Potter, what on earth have you done to your hands?"

 

Harry gave him a confused look as he glanced down at his reddened and cracked hands. They were stinging and itchy, but that was nothing new. "I was weeding, sir. That's just what happens."

 

"Why didn't you use the gloves I left out?" Snape asked icily.

 

Harry shrugged. Aunt Petunia didn't like him using gloves to weed - she said it made him do a worse job. Still, it made his hands get chapped and irritated, especially when he had to deal with the nasty thistles that Snape's wrecked garden was teeming with.

 

"Idiotic child," Snape growled, shaking his head. "Do you really think this little martyr act you’ve conjured up is going to garner my sympathy? Resorting to this type of self-injurious behaviour to prove a point is really quite pathetic, even for you."

 

"I wasn't doing it on purpose!" Harry said loudly, hoping the 'you git' he'd left off the end of his sentence was implied. Judging by Snape's stormy expression, it translated.

 

"I should have assumed I'd need to explain such a basic activity as weeding to a spoiled brat like yourself," Snape drawled, voice dripping with sarcasm. "You'll need gloves, surprisingly enough! I didn’t leave them out for you to wear as a fashion accessory! Ensure you wear them next time - and yes, there will be a next time. This attention-seeking stunt has only confirmed my opinion that you are in desperate need of some correctional manual labour…"

 

"Whatever," Harry muttered, crossing his arms and glowering up at Snape. His eyes narrowed and his large nostrils flared.

 

"You're filthy. Go upstairs and shower," he ordered, jabbing his finger in the direction of the hallway. "You can get started on your homework after."

 

Harry fled upstairs, grateful to be finally free from the man's scorn. Why did Snape insist on being an insufferable prat at any given moment?

 

Harry slammed the bathroom door as loudly as he could, stripped his dirty clothes off and wrenched the water on, wincing as it pounded the bruises and welts on his back. Still, he relished the sensation of the delightfully warm water massaging his sore muscles after all that labouring in the garden.

 

He used the smallest portions of soap and shampoo that he could. At Privet Drive, if Harry used too much of either, Petunia would notice and go on at him about wastefulness for hours. Harry was actually quite shocked Snape even owned shampoo - he didn’t think Snape had actually washed his hair in his life. It was probably Malfoy’s, Harry decided. That only reinforced his decision to use as little of the stuff as possible.

 

Harry didn’t dare to take too long in the shower, since if he spent longer than five minutes in the water at Privet Drive, Petunia would start banging on the door and screeching about the hot water bill. He had a brief moment of internal struggle where he debated what might make Snape angrier - using a towel without permission, or dripping water onto the bathroom floor. In the end, Harry glumly realised Snape would probably punish him for whatever he decided to do and made the decision to dry off, since he’d rather not walk around in soaked clothes. When he was finished, Harry grabbed his Charms textbook. It wouldn't hurt to get started on Flitwick's essay next.

 

As he approached the kitchen table, where Malfoy was writing something in a notebook, Harry noticed Snape leaning against the counter with his arms folded. He shivered involuntarily - here came the punishment for not finishing the garden…

 

But Snape only reached out to a small pot on the counter and opened it. It was filled with a light green paste that smelled faintly of liquorice.

 

"For your hands," he said. "I ought to let you suffer the consequences of your daft decisions, but this may be the only way your already appalling handwriting has a chance of being legible. Apply it liberally."

 

"Oh. Um, okay," Harry said, feeling a little confused about how to proceed. It seemed far more Snape's style to leave his hands, make him write the essay, and then redo his work on account of Harry's awful penmanship like he had last night. Harry still doubted Snape's motivations were rooted in kindness, though. In all likelihood, he just wasn't creative enough to curate the same punishment Harry had just thought up.

 

Snape simply made a disapproving noise in the back of his throat and swept out of the kitchen as Harry started rubbing the paste into his hands. To his shock, they instantly felt better. The angry red scratches faded, and the chapped, flaking skin knitted itself back together. Harry flexed his fingers and smiled. He’d have killed for this stuff back at Privet Drive.

 

Malfoy sneered at him. "Having fun with your house-elf work, Potter?"

 

"Yeah. Loads," Harry bit out, feeling a surge of annoyance. He'd been slaving away in the garden all morning, all while Malfoy spent his time swanning around and doing whatever he pleased. Even at Spinner’s End, he seemed unable to escape a Dudley-like presence.

 

While it was typical of Snape to favour Slytherins over Gryffindors, especially when it came to Harry and Malfoy, that didn't stop it from being utterly infuriating. Harry ground his back teeth, struggling to resist the urge to fight back properly. Luckily for him, Snape swept back into the kitchen and shot a sharp look in their direction which silenced any further snide comments from Malfoy.

 

That was another weird thing Harry had noticed about Snape's behaviour. Typically at Hogwarts, Snape's reaction to Malfoy's nasty remarks had ranged from ignorance to outright support in the form of points from Gryffindor or detentions when Harry and his friends dared to fight back. Here, though, Snape wasn't letting any insults or bickering fly on either side. Granted, he was still blaming Harry for the majority of it, but it was an improvement in what Harry had expected from the rule. He'd assumed it meant Malfoy could say whatever horrid things he wanted to Harry without him being allowed to respond, but that just wasn't the case.

 

Once again, Harry still doubted that it was out of any kindness on Snape's part. It seemed far more likely that as he'd said, he just didn't want Harry and Malfoy to burn his home to the ground in a vicious battle or something. That was probably smart of him, since Harry had been here a grand total of twenty-four hours and was already on the verge of plotting murder. Malfoy's snarky comments were a surefire way of earning the number one spot on Harry's hit list.

 

Harry was only able to work on his Charms work for half an hour before Snape abruptly cleared his throat.

 

"That will be all for today," he said. Harry shut his Charms textbook, curious. "We will be going out."

 

"Where?" Malfoy asked, his eyes glinting with anticipation.

 

"To the shops," Snape said. "We are running low on food, so we have to stop by the Muggle supermarket."

 

A comically horrified look crossed Malfoy's face. "Severus!"

 

"Draco!" Snape echoed Malfoy’s dramatic tones and rolled his eyes.

 

"I can't go to a Muggle shop, sir!" Malfoy said, wrinkling his nose with disgust.

 

"You have two legs and the ability to walk on them, correct?" Snape inquired acidly. "Then I believe you can."

 

"I refuse to rub shoulders with filthy Muggles!" Malfoy spat. "It is unacceptable!"

 

Snape’s lips thinned, and Harry scoffed. Malfoy's ridiculous attitude was really starting to get to him. Malfoy heard this and snapped his head around to glare daggers at Harry. “And what’s your problem?”

 

"Are you too chicken to go?" Harry jeered. “Scared of a few shopping trolleys, Malfoy?”

 

"Oh shut up, Potter," Malfoy snapped. "I know you must be used to the foul stench of Muggles, but some of our family lines aren’t polluted by mudbloods-"

 

"Lavare!” Snape barked, jabbing his wand in Malfoy’s direction. His eyes widened and he let out a muffled yelp as his mouth was suddenly filled with foaming white suds. Malfoy sprinted over to the kitchen sink and spat the bubbles into it.

 

"I've told you a dozen times now, Draco!" Snape shouted, clenching his wand in his fist. "You are never to say that disgusting word inside of my house!"

 

Malfoy looked up and wiped the back of his hand across his mouth, glowering at Snape the whole time. "Fine. Sorry."

 

"You will go to the shops," Snape said in a quiet dangerous voice, "and you will do it now. I've coddled this ridiculous prejudice of yours long enough. Potter!"

 

Harry jumped as Snape's narrowed eyes darted to him.

 

"Get Draco some of your Muggle clothes to wear out," he ordered. "Preferably something presentable? It's enough of a tragedy that you choose to traipse about in those ridiculously oversized rags, and I'd prefer it if I didn't have two scruffy children trailing behind me."

 

"Okay," Harry said, quickly jumping up and exiting the kitchen. As he walked up the stairs, Snape and Malfoy following closely behind him, Harry pondered what he'd just seen and tried to stop his twitching lips.

 

Snape just told off Malfoy! he thought gleefully. Pigs would fly next!

 

And, shockingly enough, he’d told off Malfoy for an insult towards Muggleborns. He’d always assumed Snape was just as bigoted as the rest of the Slytherins towards anyone who wasn’t a Pureblood, but apparently he was mistaken. Actually, Harry realised, he’d never seen Snape openly condone any of the Slytherin bigotry. Still, it surprised him that Snape actually felt so strongly about the matter, and went to such extremes to try and correct it. It shocked Harry even more that he still did that when it was linked to an insult towards Harry’s family - after all, Malfoy had essentially just insulted his mother. Since Snape hated Harry so much, he was surprised the man hadn’t actually given Malfoy an approving pat on the back for making rude remarks about Harry’s family.

 

Once they arrived upstairs, Harry quickly rooted through his trunk while Snape loomed over his shoulder, watching closely. He did his best to make quick work of it, since having Snape so close to all of Harry’s worldly possessions was making him rather uncomfortable, especially considering the way he was glaring at the trunk’s contents. Finally, Harry found his nicest pair of jeans and his smallest t-shirt for Malfoy. Naturally, he gave Harry a thoroughly dirty look as he handed the clothing over.

 

"I can't believe you actually wear these things," he said sniffily, holding the clothes as far away from himself as possible.

 

"I can't believe you go around in those weird-looking robes," Harry shot back.

 

Malfoy opened his mouth as if to respond, but Snape held up a hand for silence. "Go and dress."

 

Malfoy huffed and stormed into the bathroom, slamming the door shut.

 

Snape, who appeared to be in a thoroughly foul mood by now, raked his eyes over Harry and raised his wand.

 

"Parvos!" He jabbed his wand at Harry, and Dudley's cast-offs suddenly shrank to fit him snugly. Harry eyed his top with wonder. The only other clothing Harry owned that actually fit him was his school uniform.

 

"Don't complain," Snape hissed, clearly mistaking his look of fascination for something else. "I do not care one whit for these preposterous teenage fashion fads. If you choose to wear such disgraceful Muggle clothing on your own time then so be it, but I refuse to be seen with you in public when you’re in such a state."

 

"Okay," a confused Harry said. He was just glad to be rid of at least one pair of the oversized clothes. He felt just as embarrassed wearing them as Snape apparently felt being seen near them. Fashion fad indeed... Harry didn't know how clothes that utterly dwarfed you could ever be considered trendy.

 

Snape scowled at him before sweeping out of the room. Through the open door, Harry watched as he disappeared into his bedroom. He twiddled his thumbs until Snape resurfaced about two minutes later, having changed his usual black robes for a white button-down shirt and black trousers. If he’d added a suit jacket and tie, Harry wouldn’t have thought him out of place with any other Muggle businessman.

 

They stood around in awkward silence as the two of them waited for Malfoy to finish changing. Harry could have sworn the alarm clock on Malfoy’s bedside table was actually ticking more slowly than usual.

 

  How long does it take a person to put some clothes on?!

 

Over five minutes later, the bathroom door finally unlocked and Malfoy skulked out of the bathroom. He had his robes bunched up in his arms and dumped them unceremoniously on his bed.

 

Snape frowned at him. "You'll be folding those later."

 

Malfoy shot Snape an utterly withering look, which the professor ignored. Harry thought that was slightly unfair. Snape had a go at him over imaginary looks, but Malfoy could do that and get away with it?

 

"Let's go," he said briskly. "We're walking."

 

After they went down the stairs, Harry tied his shoes and stepped out onto the street. The scorching August heat hadn’t relented much, even though it was very late in the afternoon by now.

 

Snape began to walk swiftly through the maze of run-down streets, while Harry and Malfoy did their best to keep up. Since Snape had much longer legs, it meant that both of them were half-jogging. They were so focused on matching his pace that they didn't even have time to bicker or glare at one another, which was a small mercy. Malfoy was clearly simmering with badly-contained resentment, and Harry didn’t want to get dragged into the crossfire when he inevitably decided to take it out on someone.

 

Soon enough, they reached a large Tesco. Much like the rest of the Muggle town, it wasn’t particularly well-maintained. As they walked through the car park, Harry noticed multiple broken bottles scattered across the concrete, as well as a discarded trolley that had been unceremoniously rammed into a bush.

 

These were all fairly normal sights for Harry, but Malfoy looked completely disoriented as he took in the area. His eyes were wide, pupils dilated, and he was looking around wildly at the passing Muggles. A car roared past, clearly speeding, and he almost jumped out of his skin.

 

"What, you've never seen a car before?" Harry asked, snorting.

 

Malfoy scowled. "I've seen them on occasion… I'm just rarely up close."

 

That was absolutely unbelievable to Harry. If it wasn’t for the barely concealed anxiety hiding in Malfoy’s eyes, he’d have been convinced the other boy was having him on. Cars were just such a normal part of life to Harry that he found it hard to believe you could go through life without really interacting with them.

 

The automatic doors of the supermarket opened, and Malfoy flinched.

 

"Severus!" he said in an accusatory tone, wheeling around to stare at Snape. "Muggles can't use magic! How did those doors open without us touching them?"

 

"Electricity," Snape said simply. “And keep your voice down.”

 

"Is that a Muggle version of magic?" Malfoy asked, much more quietly this time.

 

"No," Snape said. Harry thought he was being surprisingly patient for a man being asked such ridiculous questions. "It's similar, I suppose. It's a kind of power they use, but it doesn't have as many uses as magic does."

 

Malfoy scoffed. "Obviously not. Muggles would never be as capable as wizards."

 

Harry rolled his eyes and started tuning out Malfoy while Snape grabbed various food products off of the shelves. It was odd to see him like this, wearing a normal if rather Snape-like Muggle outfit, doing the weekly shop. It was strangely humanising.

 

Harry didn’t like that.

 

"Is there anything specific you two want to eat?" Snape asked. Malfoy began rattling off kinds of meals, many with complicated foreign names. Harry stayed silent, his eyes drifting to the nearby toy aisle. A mother was shopping with her small son. He couldn't have been older than six.

 

"Mummy! Mummy!" the little boy waved a toy truck he'd picked up in her direction. "Can I have this? Please?"

 

The woman hesitated before her face softened. "I don't see why not. You've been a very good boy lately!"

 

The boy jumped up and down excitedly and ran at his mum, hugging her tightly. "Thank you!"

 

She smiled, holding her son close, and Harry felt something in his chest twist unpleasantly. He had a similar memory from when he wasn't much bigger than that boy.

 

Aunt Petunia had taken Harry and Dudley with her to go shopping. It was before the days where she'd kept Harry locked in the cupboard for those occasions. She was afraid the neighbours would notice her leaving Harry home alone so young and judge her, especially since Dudley always accompanied her.

 

When they’d walked through the toy aisle, Harry had discovered a wonderful stuffed monkey with silky, soft fur. He could still remember the feeling of the glossy fur brushing against his fingers as he’d picked it up and hugged it close to his chest. At that moment, Harry had thought the stuffed monkey was the most amazing thing ever created. He had hopefully presented it to his aunt.

 

"Could I maybe have this please?" he asked shyly. After all, Dudley got toys all the time. Maybe, just maybe, Harry would finally be allowed something of his own!

 

Aunt Petunia's face darkened and she snatched the monkey from Harry's grip. She shoved it back onto the shelf, higher than he could reach. "No. I’m not spending any more of Vernon’s hard-earned money on you than I have to.”

 

Harry lowered his gaze to the ground as his lip began to tremble.

 

"Oh don't start snivelling!" Aunt Petunia snapped. "Whiny brat. Go stand by the trolley, and don’t move."

 

That same day, Aunt Petunia had bought Dudley a whole new Lego set. It was typical.

 

"Potter!"

 

Harry flinched as Snape's hand clamped onto his shoulder, wrenching him from the unpleasant memory.

 

"When I say your name, I expect you to respond," Snape said irritably. "No wonder your Potions work is so appalling! You need to learn how to pay attention when someone talks to you!"

 

"Sorry, sir," Harry muttered, shaking himself. He tried to push away the aching sadness rather unsuccessfully.

 

"As I was saying," Snape continued, "I asked you what food you'd like for dinner."

 

"Oh."

 

In all honesty, Harry didn't know. He'd gone from the Dursleys, where he was lucky to get their scraps, to Hogwarts, where every food you could possibly dream of was on the table during meals. He'd never really had a choice about what food he consumed. Besides, he was almost certain Snape didn’t actually care what Harry did or didn’t want. It was a trick question.

 

"I don't know, sir."

 

"You don't know?" Snape repeated incredulously.

 

"I eat pretty much anything, sir," Harry mumbled, shuffling his feet. He got the impression that whatever this test was, he’d somehow failed it.

 

Snape seemed incredibly confused and slightly irritated. "Well, I don’t want to hear any complaints in future, then. You’ll eat what you’re given.”

 

“Um… okay.”

 

Harry, who considered a day where he was actually fed three meals to be a good one, was never going to be one to complain about what food he was presented with. It was oddly accommodating of Snape to even ask. Strange, since Snape was the least accommodating person Harry knew…

 

Snape in general was being weirdly hospitable, and Harry wasn’t entirely sure why. He’d gone on that massive rant yesterday about how miserable he was going to make Harry this month, but so far, he’d fed Harry, gave him a place to sleep, and had even gone so far as to give him that balm for his hands after he’d hurt himself weeding. Sure, he also insulted everything Harry did, but that was almost expected, really. It was ironic; Snape despised Harry and was hell-bent on punishing him for simply existing, but as things stood, he was actually treating Harry better than his own family did.

 

Well, this was still Snape, Harry reflected. Things would probably get worse once he had a few days to cook up something truly miserable.

 

After a brief stop in the appliances section, where Malfoy was momentarily fascinated by an electric kettle before he remembered it was Muggle technology and conjured up an exterior of cool indifference, Snape finished the shopping and headed towards the checkout. Harry noticed Malfoy staring at the conveyor belt carrying their items with intense fascination. He looked like he was barely restraining himself from asking Snape how it worked.

 

That was just endlessly odd to Harry. How did someone go thirteen years of his life without ever going to Tesco’s? Or any supermarket, for that matter? Did wizards even have supermarkets? He couldn’t remember Mrs Weasley ever going to one last summer, but she had to have gotten her food from somewhere…

 

Harry annoyingly found himself in a similar position to Malfoy; buzzing with a million questions he didn’t dare ask Snape. His were about the wizarding world, not the Muggle one, however.

 

"Would you like a bag?" the cashier asked, snapping her bubblegum.

 

"Yes, please," Professor Snape said, ripping off some of the plastic and beginning to put the shopping inside. "Harry, Draco, help."

 

Malfoy shot Snape a resentful look and muttered something about 'house-elf work' before he began putting the food away. He was doing it slowly and badly, to Harry's annoyance. He was almost entirely certain it was on purpose, too. Harry would almost rather do it all on his own.

 

The shop assistant frowned at them. "Draco? That's an odd name."

 

Malfoy scowled. "Well I wouldn't expect a filthy Muggle like yourself to -"

 

Snape clamped a hand down onto Malfoy's shoulder, and he abruptly stopped speaking. Despite his terrible attitude, Malfoy could obviously sense Snape’s outrage. Either that, or he was just aware of the man’s fingers, which were visibly digging into Malfoy’s shoulders. Snape was certainly unhappy. Even though he was attempting a strangled smile for the shop assistant, a twitching muscle in his jaw indicated that an explosion was brewing.

 

"He's my sister's son," Snape lied smoothly. "She has… interesting taste in names."

 

"Oh." The shop assistant shrugged, unperturbed. "Would you like to pay with cash or card?"

 

As Snape paid, shooting a furious look back at the scowling Malfoy, Harry just tried to make himself as small and unobtrusive as possible. He could sense a fight coming and he did not want to be in the line of fire as it went down.

 

Snape shoved a couple of shopping bags at Harry before he led them out of the store. As soon as they reached the car park, he stopped walking and glowered at Malfoy, his lips pressed into a thin, white line.

 

"We will be discussing that little slip when we get home," he hissed through gritted teeth. Snape walked off at an even quicker pace than he'd taken on the way to the shops. Harry was practically sprinting as he tried desperately to keep up, the shopping bags smacking uncomfortably into his legs.

 

As they went in the direction of the house, Harry noticed a peeling sign saying Cokeworth's Finest Fish and Chips! Harry guessed that Cokeworth was the name of the town, then. It faintly rang a bell, although he wasn't sure why. In fact, it gave him an incredibly strong sense of deja vu. Why did Harry think he’d been here before? He couldn’t have been, obviously, since the Dursleys never took him anywhere…

 

Eventually, they arrived back at Spinner's End. Snape ushered them inside and slammed the front door shut before rounding on Malfoy. He jabbed a single finger in the direction of the living room. Malfoy unceremoniously dumped the shopping on the ground and stormed into the living room. He threw himself down on the sofa and crossed his arms with a huff. Harry quietly slipped into the kitchen to start putting the shopping away as an irate Snape followed Malfoy inside. Their voices were easily loud enough for him to hear.

 

"How irresponsible can you be?" Snape growled.

 

“I’m not irresponsible, I -”

 

"You called a shop assistant a filthy Muggle!” he said angrily. “I know that you aren't stupid enough to do that accidentally, Draco! What on earth were you thinking?"

 

"Well maybe I wouldn't have done that if you hadn't dragged me to that disgusting place to begin with!" Malfoy seethed. "I didn't want to go to some stupid Muggle shop, I told you!"

 

"Sometimes in life we have to do things we don't want to do," Snape said in a low, dangerous voice. “Seeing as you live with me now, that includes going to Muggle shops so you can adapt to the Muggle town you will be spending your summers in until you reach your majority. It’s not exactly a lot I’m asking of you!”

 

“I don’t even want to live with you!” Malfoy shouted. “I want to go to the Notts, or the Parkinsons, but nobody asked me what I wanted, did they?!”

 

Harry paused in putting away a packet of biscuits and creeped into the hallway so he was just out of sight from within the living room. He wanted desperately to know what on earth Malfoy was doing here and this might be an opportunity to find out, since Malfoy and Snape didn’t seem particularly keen to tell him on their own terms.

 

“As a matter of fact, you did agree to live with me,” Snape pointed out icily. “Don’t forget it just because I did something you disagree with.”

 

“Well I didn’t know what I was getting myself into, then!” Malfoy said. “I assumed you’d be normal, not the secretly Muggle-obsessed fool you’ve turned out to be!”

 

“Remember who you’re talking to,” Snape said sharply. “And I consider it normal to try and weed out any bigotry my ward is possessed by!”

 

“It’s not bigotry if it’s true! We are better than Muggles!”

 

“Like it or not, you need to learn to get along with people from all walks of life, and some of those people might just so happen to be Muggles or Muggleborns,” Snape said, ignoring Malfoy’s shouted protests.

 

"I’d never choose to spend time with Muggles when I’m old enough to be on my own!” Malfoy hissed. “You know, my father wouldn't have ever made me go into the Muggle world. Unlike you, he knew a wizard's place! He understood the proper way for men of my status to behave!"

 

"Well your father's not here, is he?" Snape said through gritted teeth. "And as you're living with me until you reach adulthood, you will be following my rules."

 

"It's not my fault my father's in Azkaban!" Malfoy shouted. “I shouldn’t have to suffer because of it!”

 

Harry’s jaw dropped. What?! Whatever he'd thought was the reason for Malfoy being here, that certainly hadn’t been it! Once again, he lamented the complete lack of news he received at the Dursleys. Surely Lucius Malfoy being locked up in prison would be well-known news, given his prestige. Curious, Harry crept closer to the living room, wanting to get a better view of what was going on.

 

"No, it's not your fault, but unless you get your behaviour under control you'll go down the same Dark path that he did!" Snape yelled. "I'm trying to help you so you don’t do something stupid and get yourself locked up like Lucius!"

 

"DON'T YOU DARE INSULT MY FATHER!" Malfoy screeched. Harry winced as he heard something shatter. "I HATE YOU, SEVERUS, I HATE YOU! I WISH I'D NEVER COME HERE!"

 

"Draco, stop!" Snape shouted as something else loudly smashed. Harry looked up just in time to catch sight of something flying out of the doorway and towards his head. He ducked and staggered back into the wall, instinctively throwing his arms over his head as broken glass rained down from barely half an inch above him. Harry crouched on the floor, arms still protecting his face and knees drawn close to his chest, trying to make himself as small and unobtrusive as possible, waiting for it all to be over, breathing hard and fast. They lost interest if you kept quiet. That was what worked with Vernon, and with Dudley, and it should work with Malfoy…

 

But after a couple of minutes, Harry realised no more projectiles were flying at him and he chanced a glance up and into the living room. The shouting and fighting had completely stopped. Snape was now holding Malfoy, who had started to cry, with his arms pinned tightly to his sides.

 

What on earth is going on?

 

It sort of reminded Harry of when Dudley threw tantrums. Petunia would always comfort him, and try to placate him with promises of toys and sweets if he stopped screaming. That wasn't what Snape was doing, though. He appeared to be restraining Malfoy, probably so he didn't smash anything else. Harry was grateful for that, at least. He didn’t particularly enjoy having things lobbed at his head.

 

"Let’s go upstairs," Snape grunted, moving one arm to Malfoy’s shoulder and steering him out of the living room. As they walked through the hallway, Harry cringed away on instinct, worried Malfoy would lash out again. This finally seemed to bring him to Snape's attention. His dark eyes raked over Harry, whose arms were still raised protectively, and a strange expression that Harry couldn’t quite interpret twisted his features. He almost looked disturbed.

 

"Don't move, Potter," he ordered. "There's broken glass everywhere, you'll cut yourself."

 

Harry nodded, watching carefully as Snape led Malfoy up the stairs. He still had tears trickling down his face. That, he reflected, was a very odd sight. He’d never seen Malfoy show any kind of emotion apart from rage or hatred. Seeing him cry of all things felt incredibly wrong. Malfoy never displayed that kind of vulnerability, especially in front of Harry.

 

It was actual, proper crying, too. Whenever Dudley threw tantrums, they were all crocodile tears that disappeared as soon as Aunt Petunia gave him what he wanted. Malfoy seemed genuinely upset…

 

What was going on with him? Why had the conversation he’d been having with Snape made him lose control like that?

 

Harry remained crouched in the hallway, still as a statue. Every single one of Harry’s instincts were screaming at him to leave - normally, after an outburst of Dudley’s or a fit of rage from Vernon, the best thing to do was to get out of sight so they forgot you were there. Still, Snape had instructed him to stay and he didn’t want to get in trouble for disobeying…

 

In the end, Harry remained paralysed by indecision on the hallway floor until Snape came back down alone a couple of minutes later. He got out his wand.

 

"Evanesco." The broken glass on the floor vanished, as well as several pieces that had been caught in Harry’s hair. Snape crouched down next to him and observed him closely. "Are you hurt?"

 

Harry shook his head. He'd managed to duck whatever Malfoy had thrown at him before it connected, so he'd only gotten a cut on his arm from some of the falling glass. Snape certainly wouldn’t care about that, though.

 

"What were you doing out here?" Snape asked, frowning.

 

"Just putting the shopping away," Harry said, resenting the fact that this was still somehow his fault. "Is it true that Malfoy's dad is in Azkaban?"

 

Snape grimaced, and glanced to one side. He hesitated for a moment before responding. "Yes. So is his mother."

 

"Why?" Harry asked.

 

"It's none of your business, Potter," Snape said sharply. "If Draco wants to tell you, then he can. It’s incredibly rude to pry into his private affairs, so don’t."

 

Harry sighed, realising that he wasn't going to get any further with Snape. Maybe if he wrote to Ron, he'd be able to tell Harry something more. Since Mr Weasley worked in the Ministry of Magic, he might have heard something, even though he was on holiday at the minute.

 

Snape’s eyes narrowed and he snatched up Harry’s wrist, quick as a flash. Harry tried to jerk away, expecting Snape to twist his arm back painfully, as Dudley was so fond of doing, but instead the man began closely inspecting his forearm. "You’re bleeding."

 

Harry looked at the cut on his arm and shrugged. "It's not that bad."

 

"Please don't lie to me when I ask you if you have any injuries, Potter!" Snape said, huffing exasperatedly. "Is that the only one?"

 

"Yes," he said truthfully.

 

"Really?" Snape asked in a disbelieving voice. "Do I have to check myself, or are you being honest?"

 

"No! I mean no, I'm being honest, sir. I'm fine. It's just a scratch, anyway."

 

Snape raised an eyebrow, and Harry felt his cheeks heat up. If Snape checked Harry over for injuries he could potentially see the bruises from Privet Drive, and that was an entire uncomfortable conversation that he really didn't want to have.

 

Luckily, Snape left it, and got his wand out of his robes again. He waved it in the air and a small first-aid kit flew through the kitchen door and into Snape’s hand.

 

“You do realise,” Snape muttered, clicking open the box, “there could be broken glass embedded in the wound, no matter the depth? That causes infection, which potentially leads to sepsis! That can be deadly, even with the aid of magic, you idiotic child!”

 

Harry couldn’t help but think Snape would be pretty thrilled if Harry dropped dead from blood poisoning, but he nodded anyway. The man seemed pretty serious about it. He’d probably get in trouble with Dumbledore if Harry snuffed it on his watch, after all. Well, maybe that wasn’t entirely fair, Harry realised reluctantly. Snape had saved his life a few times back in first year, hadn’t he? That was even considering how intensely he hated Harry…

 

As Snape continued to lecture about infection while Harry attempted to look like he was paying attention, he took a peek inside the first-aid kit. Instead of containing the usual contents Harry would expect, like bandages and plasters, there were instead several small vials of various different potions. Snape uncorked one containing a viscous, blue liquid, and poured a drop of it onto Harry’s arm. The cut began to smoke and sting. Snape then drew his wand and dragged it in a line beneath the cut, muttering a spell under his breath. The skin knitted itself together, leaving Harry’s arm unblemished.

 

"It's literally that easy, Potter,” Snape said, shaking his head. “I don't know why you'd lie about it."

 

He wasn’t just being snide, Harry realised after a moment. Snape was genuinely confused. He was staring at Harry like he was a puzzle he couldn’t quite fit together. Harry just decided to nod, unsure of what he should say. He was suddenly aware of the fact that he was having a borderline civil conversation with Snape, and he was afraid of putting a foot wrong and starting an argument.

 

"You should go out into the garden while I speak with Draco," Snape said, inclining his head towards the kitchen.

 

"Why did he flip out like that, sir?" Harry asked tentatively.

 

Snape paused for a moment before he started speaking. "Draco is having a hard time adjusting to living here and is processing his parents’ incarceration. The difficulties working through these things that can occasionally make him rather…aggressive. It is not something to be concerned about - that sort of violence is not a regular occurrence here.”

 

"Okay," Harry said hesitantly, although he was still pretty worried.

 

“Do you understand?” Snape said, his tone oddly urgent. “That is not going to happen here again. Ever.”

 

“I understand,” Harry said quickly. Snape’s fervour was the thing beginning to scare him, now. He seemed strangely shaken by the whole incident, and Snape was never shaken.

 

"Leave," Snape instructed. Harry got to his feet and headed through the kitchen. He cast one last glance over his shoulder before pushing over the sliding door and realised Snape was watching him. At first, Harry thought his features were twisted into the usual expression of disgust, but upon closer inspection, Harry realised it was a different emotion entirely. No, Snape looked worried.

 

Snape looked away moments later and swept away, out of sight. Harry slipped onto the patio and sat against the wall of the house, staring into the overcast sky. He took a few breaths, trying to calm his racing heart. It didn’t help.

 

Harry wondered why Snape looked so concerned about the whole situation when all of it really wasn’t that serious. He’d had ornaments and other objects thrown at his head before when Vernon got very angry. Sure, it wasn’t nice, but he could cope. He wasn’t a baby. You just needed a good sense of when to duck, which Harry was blessed with.

 

It all seemed to have really freaked out Snape for some reason, though. So much so that he’d been civil with Harry, something which he’d never previously been capable of. Maybe it was because he wasn’t used to things being thrown around in his house, but in Harry’s opinion, that was pretty normal behaviour and not something to fret over.

 

He sighed and drew his legs close to his chest. Malfoy’s crying was still lingering in his mind. It felt really wrong to see the other boy lose control of himself the way he just had, and Harry felt slightly uncomfortable. He never knew how to deal with tears. Crying at Privet Drive always got you into more trouble. He’d learnt pretty quickly how to keep his emotions in check. If he dared to lose control of himself in the manner Malfoy just had, he didn’t even want to imagine what Uncle Vernon would do to him.

 

Snape couldn't have had a more contrasting reaction. He had been strangely nice to Malfoy, even though Harry was fairly certain he’d thrown one of those ornaments right at Snape. That seemed unusually considerate of the foul-tempered Potions Master. He’d have expected Snape to completely flip in a situation like that, but he’d been incredibly calm. Harry didn’t know he was capable of that kind of emotional control.

 

With Malfoy, Harry reminded himself. There was no telling if Harry would be hexed within an inch of his life by Snape if he dared to put a toe out of line while he was stuck here. He was well-versed in favouritism, after all.

 

Well, Harry reflected glumly, things could always be worse. Things at Spinner’s End were strange, and uncomfortable, and altogether unpleasant, but so far, it had been a bit more bearable than Privet Drive. That wasn’t shining praise, and Harry still hated it here, but he wasn’t one to reject life’s small mercies.

To be continued...
Teatime Tales and New Betrayals by aspionage

Harry sat outside for a long time until afternoon turned to evening, unsure if he was allowed back in. Aunt Petunia had the tendency to lock Harry out of the house for hours on end back on Privet Drive. Harry would normally just wander around Little Whinging when she did that, though. It was alright, since it meant Harry wasn't stuck at home with his horrid relatives, but on hot days it could get pretty miserable between the thirst and Dudley’s gang. Harry didn't dare leave the garden here, however; Snape seemed to care a little more about what Harry did in his free time, for whatever reason. He didn't feel like getting in even more trouble than usual by leaving without permission. Besides, Spinner's End was terraced, so there was no way for Harry to leave without going through the house.

 

Eventually, after an indeterminable amount of time, Snape opened the back door. Even though his expression was often difficult to read, Harry could easily tell he was exhausted.

 

"Dinner," he said curtly, pointing to a steaming bowl of spaghetti on the kitchen table.

 

"Thank you, sir," Harry said, hurrying over to the table. He hadn't eaten since breakfast and he was utterly famished.

 

As he started cramming spaghetti into his mouth, Harry noticed that Snape had already left the room. There wasn't any sign of Malfoy, either. It wasn’t like Harry particularly wanted to see either of them, but he did think it was a little odd that nobody else was here eating. Was Snape punishing Malfoy for throwing things by taking his dinner away? That was incredibly worrying, since Snape liked Draco a fair bit more than Harry. What would he do to Harry if he got in trouble? Starve him for the rest of August?

 

Besides, where had Snape disappeared to himself? So far, all three of them had taken meals together. Harry just thought it was strange that if Snape could avoid Harry at mealtimes, he'd only start doing it tonight. What was he up to?

 

Harry spent the entire meal pondering these things, but no one returned downstairs before he finished eating. He stood up and quickly washed his plate in the kitchen sink. Even though Snape could clean it in a second with magic, Harry still didn’t think it was wise to leave dirty dishes lying around. After a moment's hesitation, he also made the decision to grab a pear from a fruit bowl Snape kept on the kitchen counter. He slipped it into his pocket. Just in case. 

 

Since Dudley's hand-me-down clothes were so large there was no telltale bulge in his pocket, but Harry thought it might be better to hide the pear in his food store at the bottom of his trunk, so he made to go upstairs.

 

He’d just left the kitchen and reached the bottom of the staircase when Snape emerged from the door on the upstairs landing that led to his laboratory. He noticed Harry moving around and stared down at him, frowning as usual.

 

"Draco has been confined to his room for the evening," Snape explained, jerking his head in the direction of the closed bedroom door. "You aren't to go in there at the moment."

 

"Alright," Harry said with a shrug. "Er - do you want me to carry on gardening?"

 

Snape scowled. "Cut the martyr act, Potter. It would be absurd to garden at this late hour!”

 

Harry thought that was rather unfair, since Snape had threatened to have him working from dawn to dusk if Harry didn’t meet his impossible standards, but obviously didn’t say so.

 

“I’m sure at the grand age of thirteen you can figure out something to occupy your time,” he said with a sarcastic bite. “Just stay down there. I have an important potion to attend to.”

 

Harry just rolled his eyes and walked away down the hallway. Snape was back to being his usual, nasty self, it seemed. At least he was staying far, far away from Harry while he did it. Harry walked aimlessly into the kitchen and back again. Snape’s snarky comments unfortunately held some truth - he really didn’t know what to do with himself, especially while in Snape’s house.

 

In the end, Harry ended up standing in the hallway, staring at the cupboard under the stairs. It didn’t look like the one at Privet Drive. For one thing, there was no grate in the door. Nothing that could provide Harry with weak slits of light to see by when the lightbulb in the cupboard gave out while he was locked inside…

 

But Harry couldn’t be locked in there. For one thing, there was no lock. Normal people didn’t install locks on cupboard doors to keep their nephews in.

 

Wizards don’t need regular locks to trap people inside.

 

Harry angrily shook himself, hating that little voice in the back of his head. Snape was a bastard, but he wasn’t going to lock Harry up in a cupboard. After all, Malfoy had just broken some of Snape’s belongings, and he’d only been sent to his room.

 

  But Snape favours Malfoy over you. If you did something like that, who’s to say he wouldn’t lock you in a cupboard?

 

  Well, then don’t throw a massive fit and break his stuff and he won’t do it, then!

 

  Snape’s never treated you fairly. He’ll find fault somewhere…

 

Harry gave an exasperated sigh and smacked his head against the wall behind him, squeezing his eyes shut. The problem with being raised by the Dursleys was that Harry couldn’t just go through life feeling secure in the knowledge that adults wouldn’t lock him in cupboards when he did something they didn’t like. The Dursleys were Harry’s family, after all - he was their nephew, for crying out loud! That was a pretty close blood relation, and even if Harry wasn’t their son, Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia were the closest thing to parents Harry had ever known.

 

And they’d locked him in a cupboard for things he couldn’t control.

 

If Harry’s own family treated him that way, who was to say Snape wouldn’t? A man who truly despised Harry, and didn’t even have the flimsy tie of family to restrain him from truly vile treatment?

 

So he had to check. Taking a deep, shaky breath, Harry reached out a hand, grabbed the knob of the cupboard door and yanked it open.

 

It was far smaller than the cupboard at Privet Drive. It was full to bursting, too, with mismatched household paraphernalia. A bucket and mop. An old bottle of bleach with a faded label. Stacks and stacks of empty plastic bags. A few dusty cardboard boxes.

 

Nothing else could be shoved in there.

 

Harry shut the door and sank against it, staring at his shoes. He did his best to breathe, but it felt like his lungs had locked up, banning the entry of any oxygen. He was being so stupid. Why did Harry always end up freaking out whenever he stayed at someone else’s house? The same thing had happened at the Burrow last summer. Harry remembered just being so shocked that there were so many people in the house who actually wanted to spend time with him. He should have been happy about that, but for some reason it had evoked such a heart-wrenching sadness in him. He hadn’t been able to properly enjoy it as a consequence.

 

Then, there was the food. Mrs Weasley was such a lovely woman, and Harry knew intellectually that she wasn’t going to starve him, but he’d just been so hungry. He’d been living off of one stone-cold can of soup a day that he’d needed to split with Hedwig for a long, long time, and when he’d seen all that food, Harry’s brain had just been screaming at him to eat it all, eat it now while it was still there, just in case. In the end, he’d excused himself after the meal to throw up in the loo, unable to keep the rich cooking down. Nobody had heard, luckily, except Fred and George. They apologised profusely - a prank meant for Percy must have made him sick, they’d said. Harry was just relieved they hadn’t guessed the real reason.

 

Harry didn’t understand why he couldn’t just forget about all of this. He wanted not to think, to ignore all of the crap things that had happened to him while he was at the Dursleys. He wasn’t there, now, was he, so why did he just keep thinking about it? Why did these awful feelings of anxiety always rear their ugly heads at the most inopportune of moments?

 

In the end, Harry decided the best thing to do was to take himself away from that stupid cupboard and try to distract himself in Snape’s living room. It didn't look like the one at Privet Drive, mostly because of the glaring absence of a television. Harry assumed that was something to do with magic. He vaguely remembered Hermione mentioning something about magical frequencies messing up electricity.

 

No, instead Snape's living room was completely crammed with bookshelves, floor to ceiling ones without a single gap in the volumes lining them. Unlike the rest of the house, which had a general air of neglect, the books on the shelves were pristine and completely free of dust. Most of them were thick, leatherbound Potions manuals, many in French or Latin which Harry couldn't even read, but he smiled to himself as his index finger ran over Most Potente Potions. Snape loved to rag on Harry's brewing abilities, but he had helped Hermione brew that Polyjuice. He couldn't be completely useless.

 

Potions books weren't the only topic of research featuring on Snape's shelves, though. There were a couple of novels, including, oddly enough, Pride and Prejudice, as well as textbooks and journals from other areas of magical study. Harry paused his scan of the shelves at the title Manipulation of the Dark Arts. Now that certainly looked interesting…

 

But to Harry's immense disappointment, when he tried to open the book, the cover wouldn't budge an inch. It was as if it had all been glued together, although Harry had a gut feeling it was actually linked to some more sophisticated magic. Snape, of course, would be able to guess that Harry or Malfoy would be interested in his Dark Arts books and would have locked them up.

 

All the other Dark-looking books Harry picked up had that same spell on them. Well, at least the first three did. Harry had been on the verge of picking up a fourth book when he realised that if Snape could bewitch the books shut, he could probably hook them up to some kind of spell that let him know if other people touched them. Harry really didn't want Snape to find out he was poking around what essentially was Snape's own personal restricted section, so he dropped his gaze and looked over to the small side table next to the armchair Snape seemed to favour. Behind an extraordinary ugly-looking lampshade was yet another book, which caught Harry's attention because of how simply mundane it was.

 

While the majority of the books in Snape's shelves were leatherbound volumes with gold-lettered titles, this book was a paperback with the same cover art style of the self-help books and diet guides Aunt Petunia occasionally bought but never read. It even had a photo of a woman with a slightly choppy fringe on the front. Harry knew then this had to be a muggle book, since wizarding photographs always moved. Above the woman was a large, bold-lettered title: A CAREGIVER’S GUIDE TO ADOLESCENT TRAUMA.

 

Now that confused Harry. This seemed remarkably out of place amongst Snape's other reading material. What was he doing with a Muggle psychology book, of all things? Curious, he walked over and turned over the book to read the blurb.

 

  Whether you're a new foster parent or a seasoned veteran, this book will help you find new ways to help the children in your care. Whatever background the child you're caring for originates, Dr Stephanie has a number of handy tips and tricks for helping them flourish, in her new novel specifically geared towards foster care of teenagers…

 

Harry tilted the book to one side and noticed several pages were dog-eared. He flipped to one.

 

  …displaced teens may lash out, but that is to be expected. Leaving behind everything they've known, including parents or siblings, is an incredibly distressing and traumatic experience that can manifest itself in a number of behaviours…

 

Harry flipped another page and found it opened to a whole section on 'navigating parental incarceration'.

 

  Dealing with the implications of a parent in prison can be difficult. Here are some helpful ways to navigate this sensitive area…

 

It was then that the penny dropped.

 

Snape had gotten this book to figure out what was going on with Malfoy!

 

Interest flared up in Harry as he held the book out before him. Snape wasn't the only one who wanted to work out what the hell was going on with Malfoy; Harry was wondering that same thing himself, especially since no one here could be bothered to tell him anything. Maybe if Harry looked through these dog-eared passages, he could start to understand Malfoy's behaviour a bit more.

 

But Harry had just started flipping through the pages to the next marked one when a chapter title practically screamed out of the page at him, stopping Harry in his tracks. 'CHILD NEGLECT'.

 

All of a sudden, he was violently slammed back in time, to a memory from Dudley's seventh birthday party.

 

It had taken place in the garden of Privet Drive. Harry had been hiding at the sidelines while the other children played, because if Harry tried to join in the party games, Dudley would beat him up. It was easier to hide in the alleyway down the side of the house, out of sight and out of mind. That obscured alleyway also had remarkably good acoustics. Harry could easily hear the conversations of the mums on the patio who didn't know he was there listening.

 

"They neglect that poor nephew of theirs terribly, don't they?" Mrs Lambert clucked.

 

Harry didn't know what neglect meant, of course, but the world felt cold and sharp as he rolled it around in his mouth. He knew it was a bad thing.

 

"He's never dressed properly, is he?" Mrs Ashton said sniffily. "They could certainly afford to get him some decent clothes, just look at all the presents Dudley's gotten…"

 

Harry tugged on the base of his t-shirt and bit his lip. He couldn't help not being dressed properly. He was so scrawny that Dudley's hand-me-downs just always looked so monstrous and ugly on him…

 

"Petunia doesn't even touch him, have you noticed?" Mrs Smith said in her rather nasally voice. "She fusses over Dudley at the school gates every morning, and he just stands there like a lost little lamb. It's downright strange, I'll tell you that."

 

"Well, the boy is disturbed," Mrs Ashton said in low, dramatic tones. "You've heard the stories of him, he's a terror! Just imagine what it's like dealing with him at home!"

 

"But, they don't get like that on their own, do they?" Mrs Lambert murmured. "Maybe if Vernon and Petunia were a little more attentive…"

 

"Well, how much can you do with brain damage involved?" Mrs Smith asked. "His parents were drunks, I heard. They died in a drink driving accident, while he was in the car and all! I’ve always thought it knocked his head wrong, you’ve seen that nasty scar…"

 

“Speaking of scars, have you seen Debbie?” Mrs Ashton said, her voice dripping with horror.

 

Harry had continued to unwillingly listen in as Mrs Ashton, Mrs Smith and Mrs Lambert had gossiped viciously about every other child and parent at that party, saying things that were just as vile as the things they'd said about Harry, but those words still stuck with him to this day. The Dursleys may have been neglectful, but it was Harry's fault, since he was such a terror.

 

Harry put the book to one side, his mouth bone-dry. All of a sudden, digging into Malfoy's mysterious psychological issues felt far less interesting and more of an invasion of privacy. He didn’t want to act like those nasty, nosy women.

 

Harry shook himself and moved to the opposite end of the living room. He'd done more than enough thinking about his relatives for one evening, that was certain. Instead, Harry did the only thing he could think of to distract himself - he took out a pencil and paper from his pocket and began to draw.

 

Drawing had been one of the only things Harry could do for fun as a child. Any of his toys had been broken, discarded things of Dudley's that almost always ended up being broken further when Dudley noticed Harry playing with them. Pencils, paper and crayons, on the other hand, could be easily nicked from school whenever Harry needed them, and the drawings themselves could be hidden under his mattress in the cupboard. He never showed them to his aunt and uncle, of course; Harry had a vivid and painful memory of the time he'd made the mistake of giving Aunt Petunia a scribbling of a dragon when he was little. He'd thought she would have put it up on the fridge, like she did with Dudley's drawings. Instead, she’d ripped it up and threw it in the bin.

 

Harry always hid his drawings now.

 

So, he sat alone in Snape's living room, time blurring around him as he sketched away. He'd been drawing the view from his room in the Leaky Cauldron before Dumbledore had so abruptly sent him here, so Harry was doing his best to fill in the gaps from memory. He'd gotten quite good at doing that, since being locked in a cupboard while you drew meant there wasn't a lot to look at for inspiration. He scribbled away, forming the spiralling, cobbled streets twisting between the narrow buildings, the pointed hats of the witches and wizards doing the shopping, the brick arches of the Diagon Alley entrance…

 

He'd just finished off the distant train tracks when a creaking noise from the door broke Harry out of his focus. He shoved the drawing under one arm and looked up at Snape, who had materialised behind him. As usual, he was frowning.

 

"What is that?" he demanded.

 

"Nothing," Harry said a little too quickly, dragging the drawing further away from Snape. Of course, he once again forgot about magic. Snape flicked his wand and the drawing flew straight into his hand.

 

"Hey, that's mine!" Harry said angrily, trying to grab it back. Snape quickly moved it out of his reach, and a strange expression that Harry couldn't quite read settled over his features.

 

"I didn't know you drew," he said finally. His tone of voice was odd. Harry was expecting him to immediately begin criticising it like the drawing was a Potions essay, but no follow-up comments came. As a matter of fact, Snape looked oddly spooked, like he’d just seen a ghost.

 

"Yeah, well you really don't know anything about me, Snape," Harry muttered, still feeling resentful about the stolen drawing.

 

Snape's eyes hardened and the corners of his mouth twisted downward. He dropped the drawing back on the table.

 

"Oh, I know plenty about you, Potter," he growled. "Namely about the endless bounds of your disrespect and cheek. What are you even still doing down here?"

 

"You told me I had to stay down here!" Harry said loudly. How was he getting in trouble for following Snape's rules?

 

"Keep your voice down, Draco is asleep," Snape hissed, "and you should be, too. It's past eleven. Go."

 

Right. Snape and his stupid ten-thirty bedtime. Harry snatched his drawing up and stalked away up the stairs, feeling exceedingly glad when Snape didn't follow him up. Harry wasn’t sure if he’d have been able to control himself if that had been the case. As soon as he entered the darkened bedroom, Harry picked up a pillow and punched it as hard as he could, anger surging through him.

 

Harry was so worked up over Snape's unfairness that it took him well over an hour to get to sleep. The next morning, he awoke with a groan. Every single muscle in his body ached horribly from the weeding he'd been doing yesterday, the bruises from Privet Drive were throbbing with renewed vigour, and his eyes were oddly sticky. He rubbed them before putting his glasses on to check the time.

 

It was 7:55.

 

"Shit!" Harry hissed, all tiredness replaced by adrenaline as he jumped up from bed. Sleeping in always earned a punishment from his relatives, and Snape was almost certainly looking for a reason to make Harry's life even more miserable than it already was. Even Malfoy was awake by now, for God's sake! Harry needed to get downstairs as quickly as possible.

 

He threw on some clothes as quickly as he could, ran down the stairs and skidded into the kitchen, where Snape was frying something at the stove. Malfoy was already at the kitchen table, scowling at the wall. Well, at least someone here looked as miserable as Harry felt. Of course, he quickly noticed Harry’s entrance, and turned his ire upon Harry.

 

“Great Merlin, Potter, have you ever seen a hairbrush in your life?” Malfoy sneered at Harry’s hair. He self-consciously started trying to flatten it with his hands as Snape finally turned around from the stove. Harry felt his heart speed up, expecting a sharp reprimand for being late to breakfast or something, but Snape's eyes only momentarily glanced over him before he returned to cooking.

 

Harry slid into his seat at the kitchen table, barely believing his luck. He was still half-expecting Snape to make some sort of snide comment and punish him as he served up breakfast, but nothing of the sort happened. It almost felt too good to be true.

 

"So," Snape said once they'd all made decent headway into their meal. "You will both be doing chores today."

 

Malfoy pointedly refused to look up.

 

"Potter, you can continue in the garden," Snape ordered. "Perhaps you could deign to actually put some gloves on this time so I don't have to waste potions on a perfectly preventable injury."

 

Harry nodded and did his best to look like he even slightly cared about anything Snape had to say.

 

"And Draco." Snape turned his beady black eyes towards the other end of the table. "As punishment for your behaviour yesterday, you will be cleaning this entire kitchen without magic. You will mop the floors, clean the countertops, anything and everything that needs to be done will be done. I'll be writing a list for you."

 

"I don't know how to do any of that," Malfoy groused, folding his arms.

 

"I will be here to show you," Snape said briskly. "When the two of you have finished eating, you can get on with it."

 

Harry finished his food as quickly as possible, eager to get away from the glowering Malfoy who appeared to be on the verge of another explosion. Unlike Harry, he was eating as slowly as humanly possible, probably to procrastinate his chores. Snape seemed highly displeased with this, of course, so Harry was rather relieved to be outside and away from the two of them. He didn't want to be caught in the crossfire of another fight.

 

Occasionally, Harry glanced up from his gardening and looked through the sliding glass door into the kitchen. Malfoy was, in fact, being made to work. Harry tried to be as inconspicuous as possible while he watched the other boy half-heartedly drag a mop across the kitchen tiles as Snape supervised, occasionally giving some pointer.

 

The surprises just kept coming. What was this strange world where Malfoy actually faced consequences for his actions? Aunt Petunia would never have punished Dudley for throwing something at Harry…

 

After about an hour of work, Harry heard the back door creak open. It was Snape.

 

"I'm going to a meeting," he said. Harry got the vague impression that Snape wasn't particularly happy to be attending this, judging by the depth of his scowl. "I'll be back before lunch. You two boys behave yourselves… if you don't, believe me I'll know."

 

"Yes, sir," Harry said quickly. He was half-certain that Snape could find out how many times Harry blinked if he so desired.

 

As the back door shut behind Snape, Harry heard a woman chuckle.

 

"He's being rather stern with ya, isn't he?" Harry looked up and saw an elderly lady watching him from the other side of the fence. She had flyaway white hair and large, round glasses, which gave her an owl-like appearance. She also had a very strong Yorkshire accent. As they made eye contact, her mouth gaped open slightly before closing into a thoughtful frown.

 

"You're not…no, you can't be…" the woman muttered, raking her eyes up and down Harry.

 

"Can't be who?" he asked curiously.

 

"Would you be of any relation to Lily Evans?"

 

Harry felt his heart speed up. "Yeah?" he said, feeling a bit confused. How could Snape's neighbour know his mother's name? "She's my mum."

 

"Ah!" The woman's face brightened. "I knew it! I'd recognise those eyes anywhere…the exact same as Lily's, they are. Absolutely striking."

 

"Did you know her?" Harry asked eagerly.

 

"Ah, a little," the woman said with a smile. "Lily lived right around the corner from here, she did. She and Severus were quite good friends, as I'm sure you know!"

 

Despite himself, Harry's jaw dropped. Snape knew his mum? How would that have ever happened?!

 

"How is Lily doing, by the way?" the lady asked, unaware of Harry's shock. "I haven't seen her around here in years!"

 

"She's dead," Harry said, swallowing hard. "She died when I was a baby."

 

"Oh dear!" The woman's face fell. "I'm so sorry, love. What a shame! She was a lovely girl, she was…"

 

"Do you think you could tell me a bit about her?" Harry asked hopefully. He knew so little about his mother - all he really had were the photos Hagrid had given him in the album and a couple of stories from his Hogwarts professors who had taught her.

 

"Oh of course, my love!" The woman beamed. "She was just the sweetest girl, your mother. She used to water my plants for me when she popped round to see Severus. Your mum always had a knack for flowers…my late husband, Robert, well he would always kill the poor things, but I swear Lily could bring them back from the brink of death! She had a real knack for things like that. I'd always give her a couple of my cookies to get her by as a thank you. She'd always say to me, Maureen, it's my pleasure! You don't need to give me anything! But I liked to spoil her a little, I did."

 

Maureen laughed and sighed a little.

 

"Warmest heart she had, too," she said fondly. "Always picking up strays! She was ever so kind to young Severus, you know. The other boys round here gave him a hard time, but Lily was always in his corner. She had quite the temper, you know! I saw her slap a boy silly when he tried to poke fun at Severus' clothes once. She was a feisty little thing! I tell you, once Lily made a friend she would defend them to the bitter end."

 

Harry stayed silent, drinking in every last detail. He tried to imagine his mother's face from his photographs, fiery with fury as she faced down a bully. Of course, the image was rather tainted by the presence of Snape, sneering in the background.

 

Snape, who had never once mentioned knowing Harry's mum.

 

"You two must be rather similar," Maureen commented. "I saw you out here all day yesterday weeding! Do you like to garden?"

 

"I do," Harry said. It wasn't entirely a lie. Out of all the chores the Dursleys had him do, it was by far his favourite, since it got him as far away from his relatives as possible.

 

Harry peered over into Maureen's garden. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as Snape's, but it was still a bit overgrown and the flowers were looking rather wilted.

 

"Tell you what," Harry said with a sudden surge of determination, "let me at your garden. I can water the flowers for you, if you'd like?"

 

"Oh you don't have to do that, my love!" Maureen protested.

 

"No, but I want to," Harry said firmly. "I insist."

 

From what he could tell, Harry’s mother seemed to like Maureen, if she'd taken care of the woman’s plants all the time. Harry really wanted to carry that on. Perhaps it would help him feel closer to her, something which Harry struggled with at the best of times. He had no real memories of his mother, after all.

 

He walked over to a small, overgrown gate at the end of Snape's garden which allowed passage between the two fences. It took a lot of huffing and puffing, but eventually the gate opened with a noisy screech. The thing clearly hadn’t been oiled or even used in quite a while.

 

"Thank you very much, young man," Maureen said, putting a hand on her heart. "I haven't been able to properly take care of the poor things in years, I tell you! I'm getting up in the years, and I've neglected them terribly, and there's only so much my granddaughter can do when she stops by to visit.”

 

"Well I'm here for the rest of the summer," Harry said, filling up a watering can with the hosepipe. "I'd be happy to do it for you while I'm here."

 

"Oh you're too kind my love, too kind," Maureen said, patting Harry on the shoulder. "Goodness, I haven't caught your name! What is it?"

 

"Harry," he said. "Harry Potter."

 

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you, Harry," Maureen said warmly.

 


 

Tending to the plants with the background of Maureen's stories was an exceedingly pleasant pastime. She’d led an extraordinarily interesting life, Harry found. She had all sorts of tales from World War II, where she'd worked in an ammunitions factory making bullets for the soldiers. Still, the best of her stories had to be the ones about Harry’s mother. It wasn’t a lot, since Maureen had only seen Lily occasionally over the course of many years, but since Harry had scarcely heard anything of his mother’s childhood, it still felt precious.

 

Maureen also dropped frequent references to Snape that Harry was too scared to pry into; he didn't want to raise any questions about why he didn’t know that the man he was currently living with used to be friends with his mother. Because what kind of person didn’t tell an orphan that?

 

Severus Snape, apparently.

 

As Maureen told him more and more stories, a hot core of anger began to burn in Harry’s stomach. From what she was saying, Snape and his mum hadn’t just known each other - they’d been best friends! How could Snape just never mention that? Harry knew so pitifully little about her as it was, and it was just another layer of cruelty he hadn’t anticipated from the professor. This stung even more viciously than the constant insults and unfair treatment. This was personal.

 

Eventually, Harry finished watering Maureen’s plants, and ran the lawnmower through her garden, but he decided not to go back to Snape’s house just yet. After all, why should Harry weed the garden of a man that didn’t even have the decency to tell him that he knew Harry's dead mother?

 

Luckily, Maureen seemed perfectly happy to have him.

 

“Oh, do come in for a cuppa, dearie!” she said once Harry was done. “I don’t get many visitors these days, and it would be my pleasure after all you've done for me.”

 

As Harry sat in Maureen’s kitchen while she pottered around, brazenly refusing all his offers of help, he reflected how strange it was that a house identical in build to Snape’s could have such a different feel to it. Snape’s house was all browns and greys and dirty creams, while Maureen’s was filled with colour, and small trinkets, and pictures of her family. It felt far more lived in and homely.

 

“So, dear,” Maureen said, sitting down with two cups of tea and a plate of biscuits, “I've been going on and on at you all morning, but you haven’t told me a thing about yourself yet! I suppose you live with your father? Is he a nice man? He’d have to have been to marry our Lily!”

 

“He’s dead, too,” Harry said, his eyes glued to the gingham tablecloth.

 

Maureen clucked her tongue. “Oh, that’s awful, my love. I’m so sorry.”

 

He shrugged. “I don’t really remember them. I was only a baby when it happened."

 

Harry sometimes felt like people expected him to be sadder than he was about his parents, to miss them more. The thing was, Harry didn't actually have anything tangible to miss. The only thing he really knew to grieve about his mum and dad was the life he ought to have had with them. A world of possibilities that had been ripped away when Voldemort had murdered them.

 

Grief was more to do with the absence of someone from your life, he thought. The pain of someone who you were so used to having around suddenly disappearing. When all you knew was the absence, it didn't hurt as badly. Harry had gone his whole life with that sadness and grief hardwired into his brain. It made it easier to bear when you didn't know any other way.

 

“If you don’t mind my asking, how did it happen that you lost both your parents so young?” Maureen inquired.

 

Harry took a sip of his tea, ignoring the fact it was still too hot to drink, trying to buy himself some time to think of a reason.

 

“They died in a car crash,” he lied. That was the old tale Aunt Petunia had told him when he was younger, and would work well enough here. He couldn’t exactly tell a Muggle woman that they’d been murdered by a dark wizard, could he?

 

“So who have you been living with all these years?” Maureen asked. “Any of your father’s relatives?”

 

“No,” Harry said. As far as he knew, James Potter had no living, close relations. “I’ve been staying with my Aunt Petunia.”

 

“Oh.” Maureen pursed her lips. “I remember her, too.”

 

From her reaction, she clearly didn’t think much of Harry’s aunt. Seeing as he felt the same way, this only made Harry’s opinion of Maureen grow.

 

After a brief silence, Maureen cleared her throat. “So why is Petunia letting you visit with Severus at the minute? From what I knew of her, she and Severus didn’t exactly, ah…get along.”

 

Harry once again raised the teacup to his mouth, further burning his already scalded tongue. He didn’t know what he was supposed to say here. What if Snape had a specific cover story that Harry was going to ruin somehow? He was so secretive about everything, after all…

 

Just as he put down the teacup, still trying desperately to think up a lie, there was a loud knock at the front door.

 

“Goodness me!” Maureen said, starting. “I’m not expecting anyone…let me get that.”

 

She got to her feet and shuffled in the direction of the front door, and Harry’s shoulders sagged with relief. That had been close.

 

Of course, all that relief immediately disappeared when he saw who Maureen opened the door to.

 

“Is Potter here?” Snape inquired icily.

 

“Why, yes,” Maureen said, gesturing behind her. “He’s out in my kitchen! We were just having a cuppa and he was telling me a bit about himself.”

 

“Was he now?” Snape asked, his beady eyes glaring down the hallway at Harry. He gulped. Snape was visibly fuming.

 

“He’s really a lovely boy, Severus!” Maureen gushed. “His eyes are the absolute double of -"

 

“Indeed. He's just a pleasure," Snape drawled, his voice positively dripping with sarcasm as he cut across Maureen. "Potter! Get over here!”

 

Harry jumped to his feet and ran over to where Snape was standing, not daring to dawdle. The man looked even angrier than he had yesterday following Malfoy's filthy Muggle comment, which was rather frightening to behold.

 

“It was lovely to meet you, Maureen,” Harry managed. Speaking was a little difficult with Snape standing right beside you looking prepared to begin your slow and painful murder.

 

“Oh it was my pleasure, love,” Maureen said. She patted Harry on the head, even though he was quite a bit taller than her. “Do come over and have a chat with me again sometime! I get so lonely in this big house, all by myself.”

 

“I’d love to,” Harry said genuinely. Although, judging by the look on Snape’s face, that was unlikely to happen since Harry was almost certainly going to be thrown into a dark cellar for the rest of his sorry life.

 

“Goodbye, Maureen,” Snape said, grabbing Harry’s shoulder so hard that his nails dug in and half-dragging him back into the house next door. As soon as the front door slammed shut, his icy yet polite facade disappeared, replaced with a look of utter outrage.

 

“What the hell were you thinking, Potter?!” Snape said loudly, shaking Harry’s shoulder. He wrenched himself away as the man continued ranting. “There is a mass-murderer on the loose and you just went wandering off without telling anyone where you were! I knew you were stupid, but this blatant lack of self-preservation is shocking even for you!”

 

“I was only next door!” Harry shouted. He was done with being polite to Snape. The fury at his silence over Harry's mother was practically all-consuming, and he certainly didn’t think Snape was worthy of even the most basic civility.

 

“Next door is not protected against Sirius Black by my wards!”

 

“Oh, don't even bother with that!” Harry said with a scornful laugh. “What would some random nutter want with me? You’re just making excuses so you can control me, you stupid git!”

 

“Don’t you dare call me stupid,” Snape growled. Harry thought that was pretty hypocritical, seeing as Snape had called him the exact same thing not one minute ago. “I know that the famous Harry Potter is used to being able to do what he wants when he wants to, but that ends here. You aren’t in charge, I am.”

 

“I don’t get to do what I want!” Harry yelled.

 

“Oh, please!” Snape snapped. “I’ve seen you! Precious Potter, running around at night like he owns the castle, breaking rules like it’s a hobby, believing the whole wizarding world needs to be saved by a thirteen-year-old boy… you’re so arrogant, just like your blasted father.”

 

Harry crossed his arms and glared at Snape with all the venom he could muster, too furious to even speak. He hated Snape so much. He was the worst.

 

“Go to your room!” Snape ordered, pointing a finger at the staircase. “You aren’t to leave. And from now on, let me make it explicitly clear that you are banned from putting a toe off of this property, understood? You aren't to so much as look in the direction of the neighbours, and if you dare to disobey me again I will happily chain you to the house if that's what it takes to keep you here!”

 

“Fine!” Harry shouted, clenching his hands into fists. He stormed up the stairs and slammed the bedroom door shut so hard that it rattled. He furiously kicked the frame of his bed before throwing himself on top of the covers. The unfairness really rankled. Not only had Snape kept Harry in the dark about knowing his mum, he was now barring Harry from the one woman available who could actually tell Harry things about her! It was downright cruel.

 

Realising that he was still filthy from all the gardening, Harry sighed and jumped up from the bed, kicking his muddy trainers off. He obviously couldn’t shower, since Snape had confined Harry to the bedroom, but a change of clothes would probably stop him from feeling quite so wretched.

 

Harry had just taken his shirt off when he heard the bedroom door bang open. He turned around and locked eyes with Malfoy, who had frozen in the doorway.

 

“Hey! I’m changing here!” he shouted indignantly. “Haven’t you ever heard of knocking? Get out!”

 

Instead of apologising and leaving the room, (like a normal person would, in Harry’s opinion) Malfoy just stood there with his mouth agape.

 

“What happened to you, Potter?” he asked, his eyes drifting down Harry’s torso. With an unpleasant jolt, Harry suddenly realised that all of the injuries Vernon and Dudley had given him that summer were on full display.

 

“It’s - it’s nothing!” he stammered, crossing his arms defensively over himself, feeling horribly exposed. “I… I got into a biking accident. Yeah. And if you tell Snape about it, I will murder you in your sleep. Seriously, Malfoy, if one word of this gets out, I will end you.”

 

“Okay, okay!” Malfoy said, holding his hands up and looking mildly alarmed. “Calm down, Potter! I wasn't going to anyway… I'll just come back in bit, then.”

 

He finally left the room, shutting the door behind him. Harry quickly threw a shirt on and collapsed against the side of his bed, before he buried his face in his trembling hands. Harry's heart was beating a frantic rhythm against his ribcage, and no matter how many shallow, rasping breaths he took, he couldn't stave off the feeling of light-headedness or the ringing in his ears.

 

Malfoy had seen the bruises. Would he believe the lie Harry had told him? If he didn’t everything would go so horribly wrong, Harry just knew it. If he worked out that the Dursleys had caused them, Malfoy would tell all of his Slytherin friends, and they’d laugh at him mercilessly. He’d tell Snape, who would have even more material for his Potions lesson taunts. Harry could practically hear them already. Poor little Potter, can't even defend himself from his Muggle relatives…

 

Worst of all, it could even get back to the Dursleys, who would definitely not be happy if they thought Harry had been spreading facts of their private family life around. His mouth turned dry at the mere prospect. Harry still remembered what had happened when a teacher had been concerned about some finger-shaped bruises on his arm and had called a social worker to check in on the Dursleys. They’d branded Harry a liar, of course, because what kind of well-to-do family like the Dursleys would hurt a child? No, Harry was just their disturbed, traumatised nephew who had whacked his head a little too hard in the car crash that his parents had died in. Sure, they’d stopped hitting him for a while after that, too scared of being caught, but the Dursleys were adept at expressing their fury in ways that didn’t necessarily leave a mark. He’d been locked in his cupboard without food for over a week after the visit.

 

Even when the Dursleys hit him, Harry had never actually thought they’d cause him irreparable damage. That long, long period without food, though? That had been the first time he’d been truly convinced the Dursleys were going to kill him. The incident had been second only to that awful summer before second year. If anyone found out again, Harry was almost certainly in store for a truly hellish summer when he was forced back to that awful place.

 

Everything was going wrong, and Harry didn’t know how to keep everything under control anymore. No matter how much he tried to calm himself down, nothing worked; the panic was too great. He felt like he was balancing on a tightrope, and at any moment, he could fall off into the murky depths beyond, right to his doom.

To be continued...
Blackmailed by aspionage

Harry spent the rest of the day confined to the bedroom. That suited him perfectly, seeing as he was still furious with Snape and utterly horrified that Malfoy knew his darkest secret. Harry was a bit concerned that if either one of them came within a mile of him then he'd do something horribly emotional, like scream, shout, or worst of all, cry.

 

Was his lie enough? Would Malfoy keep the bruises quiet? He'd said he would, but Harry wasn't so stupid that he'd trust the word of Draco Malfoy automatically. Instead, he just had to hope that Malfoy's general dislike of all things Potter meant he didn't care enough to dig deeper into Harry's reaction and work out why he'd reacted so explosively.

 

God, a biking accident? How thick was Harry? What an awful excuse!

 

But despite Harry's idiocy, the lie seemed to have worked. Malfoy didn't appear for further questioning, and neither did Snape. Harry was assuming the man's version of punishment was locking him in his room to think about what he'd done. It was really child's play to someone of Harry's background, especially when he realised Snape hadn't actually locked him in. He could leave at any time!

 

He didn't, of course. Despite what Snape thought Harry didn't actually have a death wish. Snape might be going easy on him now, but Harry wasn't stupid enough to push him.

 

Snape also sent up food for him, which appeared on the desk. Lunch and dinner, a laughable concept to the Dursleys even when they were happy with Harry. He didn't eat it. Whenever Harry got this upset, he couldn't bring himself to eat, even if he was hungry. Instead, Harry stared at the ceiling, a hurricane of emotions buffeting him from all directions, waiting until the plates vanished. He felt utterly wretched.

 

Too much had happened that morning for Harry to handle. Malfoy coming dangerously close to finding out about Harry's relationship with his relatives coupled with the revelations about Snape's friendship with Harry's mother had completely drained him.

 

And Harry still hadn't confronted Snape on that, had he? He'd been too busy getting shouted at about Sirius Black, oddly enough, and it had distracted him from the worst part of the whole situation.

 

Harry knew that you couldn't expect kindness from the majority of people. Being raised by family members who despised you tended to have that effect. That, alongside having his parents murdered and almost dying himself as a baby, had thoroughly convinced Harry that the world at large quite frankly couldn't care less about him.

 

But Harry's greatest fault was that he still hoped things would be different. He still believed in the goodness of others, but time and time again he was let down. Snape was a nasty bully who took pleasure in insulting Harry for reasons he couldn't really understand, but finding out he hated Harry so much that he intentionally kept these facts from Harry just to hurt him stung. That had to be the only reason, after all. Cruelty. Harry couldn't imagine any other purpose Snape would have for hiding that information from him if it wasn't linked to his seething hatred of Harry.

 

Part of Harry's mind quietly insisted this didn't quite add up, that he was drawing the wrong conclusions, but he staunchly pushed it away. He was too angry to believe Snape was anything more than a sadistic bastard right now.

 

He spent the day stewing and loathing Malfoy and Snape with renewed vigour. When Harry grew bored of sitting idle in his room, he drew angry images with harsh pencil strokes that nearly tore the parchment, then ripped the finished product to shreds. Parchment confetti surrounded Harry as he laid back on the bed and stared at the ceiling, anger giving way to self-pity. He thought he deserves to mope a little, all things considered.

 

When someone at last came in, well into the evening, Harry pretended to have fallen asleep. Whoever it was didn't need him badly enough to bother waking Harry. He continued feigning sleep a few hours later when Malfoy came in to go to bed. Harry certainly didn't want to talk to him. When Harry eventually did nod off, his sleep was fitful. He had nasty dreams plagued with images of a sneering Snape and Malfoy, leading a charge of pointing, laughing Slytherins. Harry ran from them through a maze of dark corridors until meaty fingers seized his arm. Uncle Vernon's livid, puce face roared obscenities at Harry as he dragged him into the hallway of Privet Drive and threw him into the cupboard under the stairs. Harry woke up with a gasp just as the door slammed shut with a resounding thud. His eyes shot open, and he saw Malfoy was standing at the end of his bed, giving Harry an odd look.

 

"Severus wants you for breakfast," he said on his way out of the bedroom. Harry did his best to shake off the last remaining dregs of his nightmare before heading downstairs to face the two of them.

 

As soon as he entered the kitchen, Harry's mind finally decided to settle on one emotion: anger. He glowered at Snape, who was currently hidden behind the newspaper, overwhelmed by the urge to scream at the man until his voice gave out. The fury was so all-consuming that Harry could barely find it in himself to nibble the edges of his toast. It was like his guts had contracted under the iron grip of his rage. Snape noticed this and stared at Harry like his reluctance to eat was a personal failing. He struggled to resist the urge to throw the slice of toast at Snape's head.

 

“Potter, you’ll be clearing the garden again today,” Snape said finally, after a prolonged glaring match. "Perhaps you'll actually deign to do as you're told instead of going on trips for tea."

 

Harry ground his back teeth and didn't respond. He knew if he spoke he'd say something unfathomably rude. Unfortunately, this didn’t seem to agree with Snape, who clearly didn't understand the valiant effort Harry was putting up in order to not throttle him. His eyebrows contracted sharply and he loudly slammed his newspaper to the table.

 

“Enough!” he barked. “You will answer me when I speak to you, Potter. I shouldn’t have to put up with this appalling attitude of yours in my own home!”

 

“I don’t owe you anything ,” Harry muttered, clenching his fists under the table.

 

“I have had quite enough of your disrespect -”

 

The talk of disrespect really got under Harry’s skin. He finally exploded and blurted out, “Why didn’t you ever say you knew my mum?”

 

Snape abruptly stopped ranting. All of the colour drained from his sallow face. “Excuse me?”

 

Harry crossed his arms and scoffed. “Maureen told me everything! She said you two grew up together! She said you were best friends! How could you never mention that? Why didn’t you tell me?!”

 

“I refuse to speak with you about this.” Snape shot up from his chair and stalked to the other end of the kitchen, hiding his face from view.

 

“Well, you’re going to!” Harry shouted, pushing his chair back so hard that it toppled over. There was a loud ringing in his ears. “How could you? I don’t know anything about my mum, anything! Why the hell would you keep that from me?! It’s downright cruel!”

 

“OUT!” Snape roared, pointing one trembling finger towards the back door. “GET - OUT!”

 

Despite all of his righteous anger, Harry couldn’t help but flinch back. Snape was finally looking at him now, and his face was contorted into a mixture of fury and some other agonised emotion that Harry couldn’t quite identify but immediately hated. He was yet again filled with the unwavering certainty that Snape was either going to hit him or hex him, so Harry made the effort to get out of the kitchen before either one of those things happened. He slammed the door to the garden, and heard a loud crunching noise. Harry spun around - the glass in the sliding door was full of tiny fissures, rather like a spiderweb. The kitchen window overlooking the back garden was also shattered. Harry knew slamming a door hard wouldn’t even be enough to do that - no, his anger had grown so all-consuming that his accidental magic had slipped out and broken something again.

 

Instantly, the hot core of anger burning inside him was replaced with icy dread. Accidental magic always merited a horrid punishment at the Dursleys. Snape was already flipping out, and he would surely go completely over the edge now!

 

Harry instinctually fled, hurrying to the end of the garden. He stumbled as he went, his vision going fuzzy at the edges, the ringing so loud it blocked out the sounds of car engines on the nearby road. He quickly reached the shed and squeezed into the small gap between it and the back fence, which more or less hid him from the view of the people in the house, and slid to the floor. Now he was sitting down Harry felt a little less like he was going to faint, but that didn't help the fear surging through him after that mistaken explosion of magic. Harry took a few ragged breaths as he waited for Snape to come out and find him here, cornered and ready for all sorts of Dark curses…

 

But no angry, stomping footsteps sounded up the garden. The only noise was the gentle cooing of a few pigeons and the occasional rumble of a car going past. The sun rose higher into the sky, and Harry gradually realised that no one was coming out to punish him. He eventually mustered up the courage to peek around the side of the shed and saw the sliding glass door and kitchen window were as good as new. Of course - Snape was a wizard. Broken things could be fixed with a wave of a wand.

 

Gradually, Harry’s anxiety gave way to anger once again as he stood idly in the garden, thinking of Snape. Well, no matter what the man ordered, Harry certainly wasn’t going to weed his garden after everything that had happened. Instead, he decided to start repeatedly kicking the side of the shed, not even caring if Snape saw him. It was the only way to channel his irritation he could come up with.

 

Harry hated this place. He hated Snape, and he hated Malfoy. He just wanted to be back at Hogwarts, where he only had to put up with Malfoy and Snape once a week for double Potions. He missed Ron and Hermione terribly, too. Since both of them were abroad, it took even longer than usual for Hedwig to get to them, and Harry was horribly lonely. He just wished that this awful summer could end already so he could get back to Hogwarts where he belonged…

 

“Potter.”

 

Oh, did Harry miss having a place where Malfoy couldn’t bother him.

 

“What do you want?” he muttered. Harry turned around to see Malfoy leaning against the back of the house with his arms behind his head. A smirk was playing around his lips.

 

“Severus still has me cleaning the kitchen,” he said finally.

 

“Why should I care?”

 

“I figured you could do it for me.”

 

“Fat chance!” Harry said, snorting. “I’m not doing your chores for you!”

 

“Well isn’t that a shame,” Malfoy said with a sigh. “It’ll make it ever so much harder for me to keep your little secret, then…”

 

Bruises. Malfoy meant the bruises. Harry’s mouth went bone-dry. “No! You can’t tell him.”

 

“Can’t I?” Malfoy asked, arching an eyebrow. "Why not?"

 

“Fine! I’ll do it,” Harry said quickly, desperate to shut him up. “I’ll clean the kitchen for you.”

 

“Wonderful.” Malfoy gave him a sinister smile. “Well, get on with it, Potter. Severus will be back in two hours and I want it done by then.”

 

Harry shot him a hateful look and trudged into the kitchen. Triumph was glittering in Malfoy's grey eyes. He had the upper hand, and he certainly knew it, which was going to be a problem. Even though he obviously didn't know why Harry didn't want anyone to find out he was injured, Malfoy knew Harry was hiding something, and that was enough. He had Harry eating out of the palm of his hand.

 

But it could be worse. Worse would be Snape finding out about a series of slightly suspicious bruises. Harry was used to cleaning, it wouldn’t be that bad…

 

As it turned out, though, cleaning a kitchen was a lot more difficult when your neurotic aunt didn’t already have it in a spotless state. As Harry scrubbed the floor, wiping the sweat off his brow, he could see why Snape had set Malfoy this task as a punishment. There seemed to be a permanent layer of filth caked onto every surface that Harry was struggling to lift, no matter how hard he scrubbed and scrubbed.

 

“Come on, Potter, put your back into it!” Malfoy said from the dining room chair he was lounging back on.

 

“Stuff it, Malfoy,” he snapped.

 

“That’s no way to speak to me at the minute, is it?” Malfoy said mockingly.

 

Harry gritted his teeth and just kept scrubbing, because Malfoy was right, wasn’t he? He did have all the power here, if Harry wanted to keep everything quiet, which he had to. It was just like the Dursleys, he thought. Don’t talk back and things will be…well, even if not alright, manageable. He just couldn’t believe he’d gotten himself into a situation where Malfoy of all people was blackmailing him…

 

“So, Potter,” he said. “I have to say, I’m a bit curious.”

 

If he asked Harry for a single detail about those bruises -

 

“What was all this about Severus knowing your mother?” he asked. “I have to admit, it piqued my interest; after all, what would he be doing with a Muggleborn?”

 

“Ask him yourself,” Harry muttered, wringing out a dirty rag so violently it slopped grey water out of the bucket and onto the kitchen tiles.

 

“I already tried that. Severus is a bit reluctant to speak about it.” Harry really hated the way Malfoy threw around Snape’s first name - a loud, abrupt reminder of the power differences in their relationships. “I thought you might be a bit more forthcoming, given your…situation.”

 

“Threaten me all you like, Malfoy, but I’ve got nothing to tell you,” Harry said, pouring the bucket's contents into the sink. Murky water swirled into the drain. “I wouldn’t have shouted at him if I knew what was going on, would I?”

 

“Yes, that was a rather impressive fit, wasn’t it?” Malfoy sniggered, and Harry bit down on his cheek to hold back a sharp retort. Considering Malfoy’s actions the other day, he wasn’t exactly one to get on his high horse about people throwing fits and tantrums, was he?

 

Luckily, Malfoy seemed to believe Harry when he said he didn't know anything, and was mostly quiet apart from the occasional snide comment over the next two hours while Harry scrubbed and scoured the kitchen. Eventually, Malfoy checked his watch and sighed. “Severus will be back soon, so I suppose our time together is over. Back outside, Potter, and thank you ever so much for all the help…”

 

Harry glowered at Malfoy before storming back out into the garden. For some reason, he hadn’t thought things at Spinner’s End could get worse. He should have known better than to jinx it; things always got worse for Harry…

 

That vein of thinking was what prompted Harry to finally start gardening. As angry as he was at the minute, he really didn’t want the other Snape finding out Harry had spent the morning doing literally nothing he’d been instructed to do. He was skating on thin ice as it was, and as reluctant as he was to admit it, the way Snape had lost control that morning scared him a little.

 

Harry had barely been working for ten minutes when the back door slid open. Snape was staring at him, his face completely devoid of emotion. It was almost unnaturally blank, especially when compared to the utter fury that had been scrawled across it earlier. “Lunch.”

 

Harry brushed himself off and trudged inside. He didn’t even look at Malfoy as he sat down at the kitchen table. The stupid git looked ridiculously pleased with himself, and Harry wanted to slap the smug expression right off his face, which would be unwise for a number of reasons.

 

Snape didn’t eat with them. He stood in the corner of the kitchen, staring out of the window. It seemed they weren't acknowledging the fight that morning, which suited Harry perfectly well. He was still on tenterhooks after the explosion of accidental magic.

 

“You’ve done well here, Draco,” Snape commented after a lengthy silence. “It’s very clean.”

 

“Thank you, sir,” he said, and Harry felt another surge of resentment. He dug his fingernails into his palms as the anger surged to almost unmanageable levels. “Will I be able to brew with you again this afternoon?”

 

“Not at the moment, I’m afraid,” Snape said. “I’m working with a very delicate potion on orders from the Headmaster which you can’t be involved with. I am also not to be disturbed - I trust that the two of you can behave for the afternoon and do your homework without killing each other?”

 

“Of course I will behave, sir,” Malfoy said smoothly, “although I don’t know if you can say the same for Potter. He’s been laying around all morning, not doing anything - I saw him.”

 

Harry opened his mouth to protest, but promptly shut it again when he saw the look in Malfoy’s eyes. The one that said I know all your secrets. 

 

“I see,” Snape said icily, glaring at him. “I don’t just ask you to do these things for the fun of it, Potter. You are a member of this household and need to pull your weight! Just because your relatives wait on you hand and foot does not mean that I will do the same!”

 

Waited on hand and foot! Snape couldn’t be further from the truth. Still, Harry didn’t dare protest, and settled for a wordless scowl. Perhaps a bit of silent treatment was appropriate here.

 

“Seeing as I cannot trust you to do as you're told, I suppose I’m going to have to inconvenience myself further and supervise you for the duration of the afternoon,” Snape said, visibly disgruntled. “You will do your homework at a desk in my laboratory.”

 

Doing his homework in Snape’s lab? That was it? Harry didn’t understand how that was supposed to be much of a punishment. Wouldn’t it be the same as doing his homework at the dining room table, with Snape watching, or any old Potions lesson?

 

Harry quickly grew to understand how wrong he was.

 

The desk Snape had described was a small, rickety table jammed in the corner of the laboratory. Harry took in the room as he sat down, since he’d never been in here before. The lab had definitely been magically expanded, as Harry didn’t think so many jars of ingredients and simmering cauldrons could be held in Snape’s tiny house without some kind of expansion enchantments. The whole place was remarkably similar to Snape’s Potions classroom at Hogwarts, with the main difference being the polished wooden floors instead of cold dungeon stone, as well as the windows, which the blinds were drawn down over. Harry’s observations of the room were abruptly cut off as Snape waved his wand, and a thin, wooden wall appeared to the right of Harry’s desk.

 

“Concentrate,” Snape ordered. “You should be doing your homework, not staring at me.”

 

It was torture, Harry decided, being confined by the three walls around him. There was no window, no clock, nothing to look at but the ugly wallpaper, the wooden slab Snape had conjured and the Charms essay in front of him. Harry was also fairly certain Snape had cast some sort of Muffling Charm, since the crackling of the flames and the bubbling of the cauldrons were almost inaudible. The room was also hellishly hot. The sole window behind Harry’s head wasn’t open, and the combination of the fire beneath Snape’s cauldron and the oppressive August heat meant Harry was sticky with sweat within about ten minutes of being in the lab.

 

Harry quickly grew bored of staring at his Charms homework, and started rocking on the back legs of his chair, trying to see if he could peer around the wooden wall and watch what Snape was working on. If Malfoy wasn't allowed in on it, whatever it was had to be pretty secret. Snape was chopping some kind of plant - was that Wolfsbane? - and wandlessly making a cauldron stir itself. Despite the intense focus obvious on his face, Snape noticed Harry watching him within seconds and immediately cast a Sticking Charm on the chair legs, keeping Harry glued to the floor no matter how much he tried to wriggle the chair free. Snape then proceeded to bark a sharp reprimand about Harry cracking his head open - even wizarding teachers had that rant ready, it seemed - and told him he’d be staying there even longer.

 

But Harry was so, so bored. When writing about Cheering Charms became too dull, he decided to start inventing more and more creative ways to torment Malfoy, who Harry had never hated more vehemently than he did right now as he was trapped in Snape’s awful lab. Harry hadn’t done anything wrong, and he was still being punished because Malfoy was blackmailing him!

 

He just hoped that Hedwig would be back soon. Ron’s dad was sure to know about whatever Malfoy’s parents had done to get themselves locked up - maybe Harry could use what he heard to blackmail him back? Part of him cringed at the thought of that, though. That sort of sneaky, underhanded behaviour never sat well with Harry. Still, desperate times called for desperate measures, and if that was what it took to buy Malfoy’s silence about the bruises, Harry would take it. At least it seemed like he hadn’t realised the Dursleys were behind them - that would be unbearable - but Harry was almost certain that if Snape found out, he’d put two and two together quickly. He’d always been too bloody perceptive…

 

After what felt like an eternity of torment, Snape finally cleared his throat. “Show me your work.”

 

Harry passed the completed Charms essay to Snape, who scanned it with his beady eyes. “Tolerable. Go.”

 

Harry was just about to turn around when all of the simmering hatred boiled over yet again. He clutched the essay in trembling hands and stared at Snape, who had returned to brewing and was pointedly ignoring Harry's continual presence. Once again, he was struck by just how cruel it was of him to hide his friendship with Harry's mum from him. Even though he knew it was a terrible idea, the words were tumbling out of Harry's mouth before he could stop himself.

 

"You should have told me, and you know it." Harry's voice was shaking, and he despised himself for it. It was betraying him, signalling to Snape just how angry, how upset he was.

 

Snape's hands clenched into fists, crushing the berries he'd been holding. Red juice seeped between his knuckles and dripped onto the floor as he drew himself to his full height, looking over Harry, eyes dark with hatred.

 

"Do you constantly have to be so melodramatic?" Snape demanded. "You live with her sister, Potter! She's obviously told you something, hasn't she?"

 

Harry, who had spent his entire childhood being told his parents were worthless, unemployed drunks who had died in a car crash, had to struggle against the urge to laugh derisively. Petunia Dursley never spoke about her sister if she could help it! Harry felt the sudden, random urge to shout that fact at Snape, but stopped himself at the last moment. The question in his voice had obviously been rhetorical.

 

Right?

 

"You are not entitled to my personal recollections," Snape growled. His voice was the one shaking, now. "Although you seem to think yourself entitled to everything, Potter, so I suppose you needed the extra clarification…"

 

"She's my mum," Harry hissed, his whole body trembling now with the force of his anger. "My mum."

 

"And I never get to forget that, do I?" Snape said through gritted teeth, his face twisted with something dark and painful. "Now leave!"

 

And Harry did, the pain coiling in his chest, burning like hot coals. That had been truly awful...

 

Still, despite his general indignation, Harry couldn’t help but sigh with relief as he left the lab. Even the distasteful wallpaper decorating the upstairs landing of Spinner’s End was a welcome relief from the three walls he’d been trapped between all afternoon. That had been truly miserable.

 

When he rushed into the bedroom, Harry’s spirits rose even more. Hedwig was sitting by her cage, a letter tied to her leg. She gently cooed as Harry approached her.

 

“Hey, girl!” he said happily, running a finger over her feathers before untying the letter attached to her leg. Judging by the handwriting, it was from Ron. “I’ve missed you…”

 

He slid a finger through the seal of the envelope and began reading the letter within.

 

  Hi, Harry! 

 

  I hope you’re okay. I can’t believe you actually blew up your aunt! Don’t tell Hermione I said this, but it sounds like she had it coming. I sent Errol with a letter explaining everything to her like you asked, by the way. Hopefully he actually makes it to France, but I’m not holding my breath. I tried to get Percy to let me use Hermes, but he’s too busy using him to write to his girlfriend. Ginny nicked a couple of his love letters, and they’re the soppiest nonsense I’ve ever read. I thought I was going to sick up! 

 

  Are you staying in Diagon Alley for the rest of the summer, then? If you are, we can meet and get our school things the week before term, which is when we’re all coming back from Egypt. It’s absolutely wicked out here. I got to ride a camel and everything today! Fred and George somehow made Percy’s run off into the desert with him still sitting on it, and it took half an hour to get him back. He was furious.

 

   Make sure you let me know about Diagon Alley!

 

  Best,

 

   Ron

 

Harry smiled and put the letter to one side. He found himself missing Ron and Hermione a lot in the summers, since they were the closest thing he had to a real family. As happy as Harry was that the Weasleys had won the lottery - no one could have deserved it more - a small, selfish part of him wished they were still in England, so he could have stayed with them again this summer instead of getting stuck with Snape.

 

After feeding Hedwig some owl treats and refilling her water bowl, Harry decided to sit down and complete his half-finished letter to Ron as soon as possible. He needed to let his friend know that he wasn’t going to be in Diagon Alley before the Weasleys made any plans, since Harry didn’t think for a minute that Snape would allow him to go. It would make Harry happy, which went against everything Snape stood for.

 

When was Harry going to get his school supplies, anyway? He hadn’t managed to pick up much in the minimal time he’d spent at Diagon Alley before getting dragged to Spinner’s End. He doubted that Snape was going to ban him completely, since he taught at Hogwarts, but the idea of shopping with Snape and Malfoy turned his stomach a little. Harry shuddered and returned to his letter.

 

  Dear Ron,

 

  It’s nice to hear from you. I wish I was in Egypt with you, since my summer’s just gone from bad to worse. Dumbledore decided I couldn’t stay alone in Diagon Alley for the rest of August, so I’ve been stuck with Snape, of all people. He’s a bloody nightmare to live with, I can tell you that. I feel like all we’ve done is argue. 

 

  If that wasn’t bad enough on its own, he’s also got Malfoy living with him at the moment. MALFOY! He’s being even more of a git than usual, and I can’t even get away from him like I could at Hogwarts because we share a room and everything. I’m looking over my shoulder while I write this to make sure he doesn’t barge in here and try to steal my mail.

 

  Did you know his parents have been sent to Azkaban? That’s the whole reason Malfoy’s even here. Apparently, Snape is his guardian now. Have you heard anything about what the Malfoys did to get themselves locked up? I obviously don’t get any news at Privet Drive, but I thought your dad might have heard something at the Ministry. I’m absolutely dying to know what happened, but Snape’s refusing to tell me anything. They’re both just so awful. Hopefully the two of them won’t kill me in my sleep or something, but if I go mysteriously missing, you know who did it. 

 

  I’ll ask Snape if he’ll let me go into London, but don’t get your hopes up. I bet he’ll say no just to spite me. Even if he doesn’t let me, I’ll see you on the train in September. I’m counting down the days!

 

  Enjoy the pyramids, 

 

  Harry

 

Satisfied, Harry sealed the envelope and deftly tied the letter to Hedwig’s leg.

 

“I’m not sending you off just yet, but if Snape or Malfoy come in here, you might want to fly off and avoid them.” Hedwig gave him a highly reproachful look, and Harry sighed. “Look, I’m sorry I keep throwing you out, but you really don’t want to be around Snape and Malfoy. Snape might chop you up for Potions ingredients. It might be best if you just stay with Ron for a bit, yeah? Sorry…”

 

Hedwig watched him indignantly for a few moments, her head bobbing. Moments later, she flew out of the open window with a none too gentle nip of his finger. Harry sighed, watching her grow smaller and smaller as she flew into the distance. Harry felt rather neglectful, since this was the second time that summer he’d sent Hedwig away, but considering Malfoy’s progressively worsening nastiness, Harry thought it was the smart thing to do. He didn’t want to come upstairs and find his only companion during those long summers at Privet Drive dead. Harry just wished he could sprout wings and fly away with her…

 

Harry was just returning to the bedroom after a trip to the loo when the topic of Malfoy reared its ugly head once again. He paused in the hallway as slightly muffled voices came through the door to Snape’s lab. Malfoy was in there, and despite the closed door, what he was saying was more or less audible.

 

“She’s still not writing to me.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“This is the fifth letter I’ve sent since it happened, Severus,” Malfoy said tightly. “I didn’t expect Greg or Vince to send much in the way of letters - they can barely read as it is - but Pansy? Are the rental owls just not reaching her?”

 

“I don’t think that’s the issue, Draco,” Snape said in a surprisingly gentle voice. Harry hadn’t known Snape was even capable of being gentle, and to hear that kind of tone coming from the man felt very wrong.

 

“I don’t understand why she’s angry with me,” Malfoy said in a small voice. “I’m not the one who did something wrong…”

 

“Sometimes, we can’t know the strength of our relationships until they’re tested in times of hardship,” Snape said. “There are people in the world who will turn out to be simply fairweather friends, as unfortunate as that may be.”

 

“That’s not Pansy,” Malfoy said fiercely. “She - she isn’t… I just need to write to her again. With a different owl, this time. Can you take me to the Post Office so I can rent another one, Severus? Please?”

 

“In a few days time,” Snape promised after a brief pause. “As soon as this brew is finished.”

 

"Alright," Malfoy said, sounding slightly dejected. The lab fell into silence and Harry crept back to his room, not wanting them to know he’d overheard. He sat on the edge of his bed, lost in thought.

 

So Pansy Parkinson was ignoring Malfoy, was she? That was interesting. From what Harry could tell, the two of them had always been close friends, bonded over their love of viciously bullying Gryffindors. What could have made them fall out?

 

And why was Malfoy renting owls, anyway? Harry was certain Malfoy had an owl of his own, a handsome screech owl that always brought him boxes of sweets from home. He was rather sure of this because Malfoy was fond of taunting Harry over the fact that he didn’t receive any mail of his own. There weren’t any owls at Spinner’s End, though… strange.

 

As much as he hated the other boy at that moment, Harry couldn't help but once again wonder what precisely was going on with Draco Malfoy.

To be continued...
The Boiling Point by aspionage

The strange thing about living with people was that you ended up learning a lot about them through sheer proximity. After two years at Hogwarts, Harry knew that he had to get up at a certain time before Seamus started hogging the shower, and that you had to check before you stepped into your shoes in case Neville’s toad, Trevor, had crawled into them. It was one of those things you couldn't help, and this principle also unfortunately applied to living with people who you didn’t like.

 

He knew that Aunt Petunia had trouble sleeping most nights, and generally got up even before Harry because of her insomnia. He knew Uncle Vernon always read the Telegraph at breakfast and was allergic to bees. He knew about Dudley’s severe hay fever, which made his cousin’s eyes turn red and swollen without fail every spring. Harry couldn’t help picking up this information about his relatives, just as he couldn’t help learning more about Malfoy and Snape than he would have otherwise liked over his next few days at Spinner’s End.

 

Snape was always accompanied by a chipped blue mug, which was without fail full of steaming black coffee. He even drank it at night, which Harry was almost certain couldn’t be good for you.

 

Every morning and evening, Malfoy spent what seemed like forever hogging the upstairs bathroom, which was the only loo in the house, doing some sort of intricate skincare routine. There was more than one occasion on which Snape ended up shouting at him through the door, threatening to take away something called a Glow Elixir.

 

Malfoy also read a lot of books. Fiction, if the titles were anything to go off, although they all seemed to be wizarding books because Harry had never heard of them and the cover art moved. In fact, Harry almost never saw him without a novel tucked under one arm or open in his lap.

 

Snape was left-handed. He always wrote up their class instructions onto the chalkboard with a flick of his wand, so Harry had never noticed that until now when he actually had an opportunity to see the man write something down. Snape also often switched his wand between hands depending on what spell he was casting, which Harry thought was odd but didn't ask about.

 

Malfoy's fingers were often rhymically tapping away on a surface. Sometimes, when he thought no one was listening, he hummed.

 

Snape exclusively wore closely fitted, long-sleeved robes, even on the boiling hot day where it hit thirty degrees and the house felt more like a furnace.

 

Malfoy still talked in his sleep, and the words he was saying became more and more comprehensible with every night Harry spent here.

 

And Snape always seemed to be watching Harry. He had the ability to move soundlessly through the house, which was horribly unnerving, and sometimes Harry would turn around and catch Snape staring at him with one eyebrow arched, expression thoughtful. It made Harry wonder if he and Malfoy had picked up on any habits of Harry’s during his stay at Spinner’s End. He almost immediately dismissed the idea, but Snape's watchful behaviour was starting to get under Harry's skin. What was he doing? What was he trying to work out?

 

Of course, Snape and Malfoy didn’t have much opportunity to learn things about Harry because he was doing his best to make himself as unobtrusive and invisible as physically possible in order to avoid any further confrontations with Snape. The twisted rage on Snape’s face when Harry had dared to ask about his mum had thoroughly scared him into silence. As much as Harry was aching to find out why Snape had never mentioned knowing her, he was far too worried about what Snape might do to him if he dared to bring up the topic again.

 

So, they had settled into something of a routine. The three of them generally ate breakfast, lunch and dinner together, excluding the times when Snape was upstairs brewing. Malfoy and Snape would talk, Harry would sit in sullen silence and try to eat as quickly as he could so he could get away from them. Snape made Harry garden in the morning, then do his homework in the afternoon, which he generally insulted and occasionally described with words that almost sounded like compliments. Of course, as this was Snape giving feedback, Harry assumed they were just further insults he couldn’t quite understand. The evenings were free for Harry to hide in the bedroom he shared with Malfoy and pretend like he didn’t exist.

 

Malfoy and Snape tended to sit together in the living room while he hid upstairs, or they brewed together. That suited Harry just fine, as he didn’t want to spend any time with the two of them if he could help it. His problem was when Malfoy was left with nothing to do. While Snape was perfectly happy to hold up his end of the bargain and ignore Harry’s existence, Malfoy seemed to take vindictive pleasure in taunting Harry whenever Snape was out of earshot. Whatever fragile truce they’d had for the first couple of days had vanished the minute Malfoy had seen the bruises under Harry’s shirt. Harry was simply thankful that Malfoy hadn't guessed it had been Harry's relatives who had caused them. No, all he seemed to realise was that he had information Harry wanted to keep secret, and that was that. Now, he knew Harry had to sit by and take it whenever he wanted to make snide comments about Harry, his friends, his parents…

 

Just a few weeks, Harry told himself. That was it - a few weeks here, and then he’d be back at Hogwarts and his proximity to Snape and Malfoy would lessen. Just a few weeks of dealing with this, a few weeks was all…

 

And Harry did his best to control his temper, he really did. Unfortunately, the hellish environment that was Spinner’s End meant Harry was really struggling with that, and he felt his patience gradually wearing thin as his first week drew to a close.

 

After he seemed moderately satisfied that Harry wasn’t going to set the house alight, Snape had started spending all of his mornings and most of his afternoons holed up in the laboratory brewing that potion of his - whatever it was, it seemed to have a time limit. That left Harry and Malfoy alone to get on with either their homework or chores unsupervised. Malfoy had long since finished having Harry clean up the kitchen for him, leaving him with a lot of spare time. Naturally, he had taken to insulting Harry as he got on with whatever tasks he’d been set, since he knew Harry couldn’t fight back. It had been just about bearable so far, but today was different. Harry was rapidly running out of the ability to keep his cool, while Malfoy had woken up in a particularly foul mood, which he’d decided to take out on Harry, of course.

 

“Hey Potter, are you digging out a new hole in the ground for the Weasleys to live in?”

 

“Imagine if they could see the famous Harry Potter, digging about in a garden without magic…”

 

“There’s mud all over you, Potter, have you noticed? Of course you wouldn’t - you’re used to muddy things, considering your bloodline…”

 

“Oh, just shut up, Malfoy!” Harry shouted, the last comment finally pushing him over the edge. Draco had been sniping at him for days, and he was going to lose it and hit him over the head with a trowel if it didn’t stop -

 

“Potter!” Harry couldn’t help his groan at the sound of Snape’s voice. Of course he had to materialise now. “Stop being rude to Draco. Get inside, it's time for lunch.”

 

Why is everything always my bloody fault?! Harry wouldn’t be surprised if Snape had overheard the barely concealed slur towards his bloodline and just didn’t care. Nasty, bigoted Slytherins always stuck together…

 

Harry picked at his food, feeling far too angry to eat. This was becoming a frequent occurrence. Unfortunately for him, as the meal progressed, it turned out Malfoy wasn’t the only one with a giant stick up his arse.

 

“Potter, must you always engage in this infernal sulking?” Snape hissed, slamming his fork to the table. “I am sick of this sullen adolescent moping! Would it kill you to act politely?”

 

It was like something in Harry snapped. “Oh, will you just shut up for once in your bloody life!”

 

Snape’s eyes flashed dangerously. “What did you just say to me?”

 

“You heard me, or are you too stupid to understand me?” Harry asked snarkily. “You greasy, slimy old -”

 

The words leaving Harry’s mouth abruptly turned to silence before the string of expletives he’d been about to unleash. Snape’s lips curled up unpleasantly. “I’m sorry, Potter, what were you saying?”

 

Harry tried to shout, but was once again met with nothing but silence. Horrified, he grabbed at his throat.

 

“When you find yourself able to speak respectfully,” Snape said silkily, “I will lift the Silencing Charm.”

 

Unable to bear his smugness for another moment, Harry fled the kitchen and back out into the garden, where he hid in the narrow gap behind the shed again. He tried everything from whispers to flat-out screams that tore through his throat like ragged knives, but no matter what he did, sound wouldn’t leave his mouth. It was utterly awful. What was he going to do? Was Snape going to leave him like this for the rest of August, silenced and powerless?

 

Harry had just given up on his futile screaming attempts when he finally registered the sound of steady breathing behind him. He whirled around and saw Snape leaning against the shed, arms crossed and eyebrows raised. He still looked unbearably smug. “Finished?”

 

Harry glared at him, hoping his gaze could convey the depth of his hatred.

 

“Now,” Snape said, twirling his wand between his fingers, “When I lift the spell I want an apology. If I don’t get one, I’ll leave it on for the rest of the day.”

 

  Stupid old bastard…

 

Snape flicked his wand and looked at Harry expectantly. He half-considered remaining silent - the idea of apologising to Snape was utterly loathsome - but then Harry realised he’d be confined to silence during Malfoy’s taunting if Snape left the spell on, and he really didn’t think he could bear that.

 

“Sorry,” he ground out in a hoarse, strained voice. The screaming hadn’t done his throat any good.

 

“I will be brewing,” Snape said, turning around. “Do not disturb me with another one of your temper tantrums, or I will be highly displeased.”

 

He flounced back into the house without another word. Harry rubbed his eyes despairingly, feeling more miserable than he could have ever imagined.

 

After a little while longer of feeling sorry for himself, Harry just about managed to pull himself together. He wasn’t going to bother with lunch again - instead, he decided to go back to gardening, since the prospect of going back into that horrid house actually made him feel a little bit ill. Harry brutally chopped at a shrub with a pair of gardening shears, fairly mangling the poor plant, which he was currently imagining to be Snape’s stupid face.

 

“Well good afternoon, Potter.”

 

Someday, Harry reflected, he was going to murder Draco Malfoy. Between the sharp gardening shears he was currently holding and the simmering anger just waiting to boil over, Harry thought it rather likely that today might just be the day.

 

“You might want to show me some manners when I speak to you,” Malfoy said mockingly. “Severus is rather insistent on that, after all…”

 

“Oh, fuck off,” Harry snapped, grinding his back teeth.

 

“Aww, are you upset about a little Silencing Charm?” Malfoy asked, sidling closer. Harry did his best not to look at him. “Poor, little baby Potter…”

 

“JUST SHUT UP!” Harry roared, throwing the shears to the floor, blood pounding in his ears.

 

“I don’t think I will,” Malfoy said quietly. “I think I’ll just talk and talk, all about that biking accident…”

 

“Oh yeah?” Harry challenged, trying to think up anything he could use back. He was done tiptoeing around Malfoy, he just couldn’t take it anymore. “Well then I’ll tell the whole school about how your darling parents got themselves locked up."

 

Malfoy’s features twisted into a snarl. “Don’t you bring up my parents -”

 

“Or I’ll tell them about your little tantrum!” Harry shouted. “Poor Draco Malfoy, throwing fits and crying like a three-year-old! Oh, or I’ll tell them about Snape’s book for traumatised teenagers -”

 

The sound of Malfoy’s blow hit Harry before he felt it connect with his face. Sharp pain blossomed in his cheek. He shoved Malfoy back, and Malfoy stumbled, struggling to keep his feet. Harry took advantage of his distraction and kicked him hard in the shins. Malfoy grimaced, then pushed forward and pinned Harry against the fence with surprising strength. Harry could feel him actually trembling with fury as his forearm pressed into Harry’s neck. His grey eyes were narrowed and glistening with hatred.

 

“At least my relatives actually want me!” Malfoy growled. He dug his arm in so hard that Harry couldn’t breathe past the pressure. “Those filthy Muggles you call a family threw you out, didn’t they Potter? No one can stand you - in fact, I bet your parents were glad they died so they didn’t have to put up with you anymore.”

 

He slammed Harry back against the fence one last time, knocking the wind out of him, before storming back into the house. Harry fell to his knees, gasping for air. He half-considered chasing after Malfoy and getting another blow in, but he couldn’t bring himself to. Instead, Harry sank backwards against the wall.

 

He was surprisingly hurt by Malfoy’s words, and he hated himself for it. It was stupid - Malfoy didn’t know a thing about Harry’s parents, after all - but he’d always been very skilled at getting under Harry’s skin. Being unwanted…that was something Harry had struggled with his whole life. The Dursleys had hardwired it into him that nobody wanted anything to do with Harry.

 

And they were right - nobody did. That was why he was stuck at Spinner’s End with a man who hated Harry with a passion, since Snape was the only person who Dumbledore had managed to force into looking after Harry. That was why he’d originally been planning to live above a pub for the rest of August. Harry didn’t have anyone.

 

For what felt like the hundredth time that week, Harry considered just dragging his trunk out of the house and taking the Knight Bus back to the Leaky Cauldron, away from this horrid place. The only thing that had stopped Harry was the fact that Snape would probably hear him dragging his trunk down the staircase and stop Harry before he got out the door.

 

Harry's face was throbbing from where Malfoy had punched him. He raised a hand to it and gingerly ran his fingers over his cheek. Uncle Vernon had certainly hit Harry plenty, but never in the face. Aunt Petunia's slaps certainly stung, but she never hit Harry hard enough for it to bruise by any stretch. They were too scared of someone noticing something like that. The only person who dared to go anywhere near Harry's face was Dudley, who declared it a win every time he managed to break Harry's glasses when trying to bloody his nose.

 

Harry really hoped Malfoy’s punch wasn’t going to bruise. Knowing Harry's luck, Snape would see it and go completely nuclear. How bloody fantastic.

 

Snape didn't spend very long brewing, considering how vehemently he'd insisted on being left alone. It had to have been just shy of an hour since his and Malfoy's fight when Snape resurfaced and wrenched open the back door. His face was the picture of outrage. Harry wearily got to his feet, preparing to be shouted at…

 

But Snape didn't say a word. He stalked over to Harry, grabbed him by the upper arm, and practically dragged him inside. He only released Harry once the back door was tightly shut. A muscle in Snape's jaw was ticking.

 

"Where is it?" he said through gritted teeth.

 

Harry gave him a blank look. "Sorry?"

 

Snape's lips drew back into a snarl. "Don't pretend like you don't know what I'm referring to! Where did you hide it?"

 

"Hide what?"

 

"The necklace!" Snape shouted, slamming a hand onto the kitchen counter. Harry flinched. "Where did you hide his blasted necklace?"

 

"I don't know what you're talking about!" Harry protested.

 

"Do not lie!" Snape bellowed, spittle flying from his mouth.

 

"I'm not!"

 

"Perhaps I ought to jog your memory, then!" Snape took a step closer, until his hooked nose was barely an inch from Harry’s face. "Instead of employing a fraction of basic empathy, you decided to follow in the footsteps of your arrogant bully of a father and pick on Draco in regard to the situation with his parents.”

 

“What?” Harry demanded. He went to continue protesting, but Snape wasn’t done.

 

“If that wasn't cruel enough, you then decided to steal one of the only items Draco has of his parents!” Snape yelled. His face had gone rather red by now. “So, tell me now, where did you put the necklace?!"

 

"I didn't put it anywhere because I didn't take it!" Harry shouted. "I didn't even know he had a necklace!"

 

"And what makes you think I would trust a single word out of your mouth?" Snape asked angrily.

 

"I don't know, but you certainly shouldn't trust Malfoy!"

 

"Why are you fighting this?" Snape asked, crossing his arms. "We both know perfectly well that you took it. Just give it back."

 

“You’re a wizard, aren’t you?” Harry challenged. “Don’t you have some sort of spell to find things you’ve lost?”

 

“A Summoning Charm would not work on heirloom jewellery like that, as you knew perfectly well when you took it!” Snape growled. “Stop trying to wriggle your way out of this and say where you’ve hidden it!"

 

A sudden wave of despair washed over Harry. He took a step back from Snape and leaned his head against the kitchen wall dully. He hadn't taken the necklace, but Snape was never going to believe that Harry was telling the truth. As far as he was concerned, Harry was a nasty bully, and nothing he said was going to change Snape’s mind. He couldn’t even tell Snape about Malfoy’s horrid taunts over the last few days, since Malfoy was still blackmailing him. This was all a part of that torment, wasn't it? As revenge for Harry's comments earlier, Malfoy was intentionally getting him in trouble with Snape, knowing he couldn't get out of it.

 

It was so viciously clever, and Harry hated Malfoy even more for it.

 

"Well? Potter?"

 

Harry didn't respond. He just didn't have the energy to fight anymore. It was so pointless…

 

"This really is extraordinarily cruel, Potter," Snape muttered. His hand shot out, quick as a flash. Harry tried to duck away from the blow, but Snape's hand instead latched onto his upper arm. "You ought to be ashamed of yourself. Considering your own parental circumstances I'd have liked to imagine you could muster a modicum of understanding for Draco's situation, but I suppose an expectation of basic human compassion from the likes of you was far too much to ask for. Perhaps some time in your room to contemplate your actions will loosen your tongue."

 

Keeping a vice grip on Harry's arm, Snape began to stalk from the kitchen. For a single, heart-stopping moment Harry thought Snape was about to throw him into the cupboard under the stairs, but they went straight past it, as well as the living room. Harry caught a glimpse of Malfoy’s white-blonde hair through the open door and felt a sudden surge of rage. Snape had the whole situation backwards, and it was entirely that git’s fault! He wrenched himself away from Snape and stormed into the living room, pushing the door so hard it hit the opposite wall with a loud bang.

 

“You’re a right lying arsehole, Malfoy!” Harry shouted. Malfoy didn’t reply - he stared at Harry imperiously, a single eyebrow raised. Satisfaction gleamed in his eyes. Moments later, Harry felt Snape seize him and yank him back into the hallway. He shook Harry’s shoulder and glowered at him.

 

“Enough!” he said through gritted teeth. “You’ve done enough to him already! With me, now.”

 

He pulled Harry along, up the stairs and onto the landing before he was finally released in the bedroom.

 

"I will be in my laboratory when you are ready to confess," Snape said irritably. He slammed the bedroom door shut.

 

Harry immediately buried his face under the pillow on his bed, hating how close to tears he felt at that moment. He should have predicted Malfoy doing something like this when Harry had made the stupid mistake of attempting to threaten him back. Of course Malfoy would always be two steps ahead of him when it came to sneaking around and being horrid; he was a Slytherin, after all. This was their bread and butter.

 

What had Harry been thinking? He wouldn’t be surprised if Malfoy kept the necklace hidden wherever he’d put it for the rest of August, just so Snape dredged up whatever miserable punishments he could think of to torment Harry until he finally got back to Hogwarts. Although, Harry thought gloomily, even the start of term didn’t necessarily put an end to this nightmare. He wouldn’t put it past Snape to stick Harry in detention at school indefinitely until he confessed to stealing the necklace. Harry was even half-considering confessing just to get it all over with, but there was no point, since Snape almost certainly wouldn’t leave Harry alone until he gave the necklace back, and he couldn’t do that since he hadn’t actually taken the stupid thing in the first place!

 

He contemplated trying to find where Malfoy had hidden the necklace, but there was no point. Harry had only been living at Spinner’s End for a week, and Malfoy would certainly know hiding spots he couldn’t weasel out since he’d been here for so much longer.

 

Instead, Harry remained in the room and stared blankly at the ceiling as afternoon stretched into evening, trying to think of ways to prove his innocence, but none of his ideas amounted to anything useful. Every explanation about how Malfoy had been just as nasty to Harry as he was supposedly being to Malfoy somehow led back to what Malfoy was blackmailing him about, which Harry couldn’t let Snape find out. If he got the Dursleys in any kind of trouble, next summer with them would be hell, and Harry would much rather be stuck scrubbing cauldrons all year because of a false accusation than stuck at Privet Drive getting the stuffing beaten out of him.

 

Harry was in the middle of trying to come up with some sort of plot to get back at Malfoy when the door was wrenched open. Snape strode over to the bed Harry was lying on and loomed over him, arms crossed. “Well? Are you going to put a stop to this ridiculous stand-off and just tell me already?”

 

“No, sir,” Harry said in a perfect monotone. “I’m just a cruel little bully, after all, and I want Malfoy to suffer as much as possible.”

 

Fury flashed in Snape’s eyes. “Don’t you dare cheek me.”

 

“Why shouldn’t I?” Harry asked, leaning back on his elbows and staring up at Snape, feeling dangerous. “I’m just like my arrogant father, aren’t I, with no respect for anyone, including you.”

 

“Then you will stay in here until you see fit as to change your attitude,” Snape growled.

 

“Fine by me!” Harry said loudly. “I can do this all day and night if you want me to! Locking me in a bedroom, that’s nothing! I've had far worse!"

 

Snape didn’t respond. He was looking at Harry with an odd expression on his face, which gradually smoothed into a crafty smirk. “Do you know what Legilimency is, Potter?”

 

Harry obviously didn’t, but the triumphant glint in Snape’s eyes let him know it couldn’t be good.

 

“Legilimency is the art of magically navigating another person’s mind,” Snape explained softly. “A skilled Legilimens can interpret the memories of their subject directly from the brain." He took a step forward. "I am a Legilimens, Potter.”

 

Harry jumped to his feet at once, his heart speeding up to a frantic beat. “You can read minds?”

 

Snape scoffed. “Only a naive fool would refer to it as such. It is far less straightforward - a Legilimens has to trawl through all sorts of memories in the journey to find the information they are looking for.” Snape took a menacing step forward. “So you have a choice, Potter. Either tell me where you hid that necklace, or I will comb through every single little memory in your mind until I find what I need to know.”

 

Harry couldn’t breathe. If Snape really went through his mind, looking for information Harry didn’t have, he’d see every single one of Harry’s most embarrassing memories. He’d see Dudley beating him up, Petunia screeching at him about how he was a lazy brat, Vernon throwing him into the cupboard under the stairs with a bruising grip…

 

“You have half an hour to give me the necklace,” Snape said quietly. “If you still refuse, then I will start looking for myself.”

 

He strode from the bedroom in a flurry of black robes, and slammed the door to his laboratory shut, leaving Harry alone, feeling like an elephant was sitting on his chest. He was in an impossible situation. There was no way for him to get that necklace back to Snape, who absolutely could not see those memories.

 

Maybe he could beg Malfoy to take pity on him and tell Snape Harry hadn’t taken anything? No, that would never work. Snape was surprisingly strict with Malfoy, and if he found out that Malfoy had lied to him to get Harry in trouble, he’d almost certainly be furious. Malfoy wouldn’t dare incriminate himself.

 

Maybe he could ask Malfoy to give Harry the necklace so he could confess to stealing it and hand it back in? Snape almost certainly had some sort of miserable punishment that Harry would be stuck with either way, so that would make Malfoy happy…

 

But Malfoy wanted Harry to feel as wretched as physically possible, so he was probably thrilled that Snape was going to read Harry’s mind. No, there was no way to get out of things that way, so there was only one thing to do. He had to get away from Snape before he could see those memories and use them to torment Harry for the remainder of his Hogwarts years.

 

Harry grabbed a worn old backpack that he’d inherited for Dudley which he’d used for primary school. With his heart in his throat as he glanced at the alarm clock on Malfoy’s desk, ticking away the precious seconds until his half an hour was up, Harry started to pack. Nothing but the bare essentials, of course. A change of clothes. His Gringotts key and any money he had. His food stash. The photo album of his parents. He was loath to leave his other belongings, like his Nimbus Two-Thousand and the broomstick servicing kit that Hermione had given him for his birthday, but Harry had to pack light if he was going to get out of Spinner’s End undetected. He had to leave his trunk and Hedwig’s cage behind, too, if he was going to successfully manage to escape.

 

When the backpack was full, Harry zipped it up and slung it over his shoulders. Taking one last look around the room to make sure he hadn’t forgotten anything, Harry snatched up his wand and threw the Invisibility Cloak over himself. Harry did his utmost to try and control his frantic, panicked breathing as he crept across the landing and towards the staircase. The only thing that Harry thought would get him in more trouble than what he was in right now was if Snape caught him running away. Harry was certain he’d at last hit Harry if that happened. Thank goodness he’d memorised which parts of the house creaked. He was able to get all the way downstairs without making a sound.

 

Now came the more difficult part. The living room door was open and judging by the occasional rustle of a page, Malfoy was currently in there reading. Harry may have been invisible, but the cloak wasn’t soundproof. He’d hear the door opening. Would he tell on Harry to Snape? Almost certainly.

 

Biting the inside of his cheek so hard it drew blood, Harry reached out a hand and placed it onto the doorknob. Slowly, agonisingly, he twisted it. When the moment felt right, Harry crouched, ready to run…

 

And he yanked on the handle. The door swung open, and the sound of a sputtering motorbike engine filled the hallway.

 

“Who’s there?” Malfoy called. Harry didn’t even bother to close the front door as he sprang forward, running out of the house on Spinner’s End and into the street. Years of Dudley’s Harry Hunting had prepared him for this moment as he sprinted forward, his trainers slapping against the pavement, occasionally causing the corners of the Invisibility Cloak to flap up. Harry prayed there weren’t any attentive Muggles eyeing the street. There was a reasonable chance they’d notice a lone pair of trainers running by themselves, and that could cause all sorts of problems.

 

It was easy to get lost in Cokeworth, and even easier to lose any people that were potentially tailing you. Harry almost immediately ran down an alleyway that completely hid him from anyone who might have been watching from Snape’s house. As far as he could tell Snape wasn't following him, but Harry couldn’t be too safe. He didn’t stop running as he navigated a maze of narrow streets and alleyways, even when he nearly tripped over an irate fox rooting through an overflowing dustbin. It was only when Harry could no longer breathe through the stabbing stitch in his side that he dared to stop. He slumped against the brick wall of someone’s driveway and took deep, gasping breaths. He wasn’t out of the woods yet - he was still in Cokeworth after all. Harry needed to get away from this town and go somewhere Snape couldn’t follow him.

 

When he was fairly certain no Muggles were around to see, Harry yanked off the Invisibility Cloak and stuffed it under his shirt. Holding it in place with one hand, he stuck out his wand arm. The violently purple Knight Bus appeared with a loud bang moments later, screeching to a halt right next to him. A familiar figure jumped from the doors.

 

“Welcome to the Knight Bus, emergency transport for the stranded witch or wizard. Just stick out your wand hand, step on board and we can take you anywhere you want to go. My name is Stan Shunpike, and I will be your conductor this -”

 

Stan abruptly stopped speaking, when he finally realised who he was talking to. His jaw dropped. “No way! Bloody ’ell, Ern, Harry Potter’s come back!”

 

“Yeah, yeah, hi,” Harry said impatiently, jumping onto the bus and shoving a fistful of silver at the conductor. “Is that enough to get me to London?”

 

“Should be, yeah,” Stan said, counting the Sickles in his palm. “You’ve got enough for an ’ot chocolate, if ya like?”

 

“Nah, I’m alright,” Harry mumbled, flattening his fringe down over his scar. The few other witches and wizards on the bus generally didn’t seem to care who had just gotten on, but a couple of witches at the back had glanced up curiously - probably when they’d heard Stan shout his name out, Harry realised with a wince. He sat down on a rickety-looking chair that nearly shot out from under him as the Knight Bus jumped forwards with a bang. The beds Harry had seen last time had all been replaced by a number of these mismatched chairs, which also weren’t nailed down when Harry rather thought they ought to be…

 

“’Choo doing all the way up here, eh, Neville?” Stan asked, still calling Harry by the name he’d given last time he’d ridden the Knight Bus. “I fought we already dropped you in London! How’d ya get up north?”

 

“I’m up north, then?” Harry asked blankly.

 

“’Course you are!” Stan snorted. “You need to ’ave a good look at a map, Neville! That Cokeworth place is right ’round Leeds. We was actually driving through when you flagged us down, eh, Ern?”

 

“Ar,” Ernie commented from where he was driving.

 

Leeds. That explained Maureen’s strong Yorkshire accent, then. And the accent of the shop assistant who Malfoy had called a filthy Muggle, come to think of it. But Snape had grown up in Cokeworth, based on what Maureen had told Harry, and he certainly didn’t have a Yorkshire accent. That was strange…

 

Harry suddenly found himself wondering what his mother had sounded like.

 

But any curiosity Harry was feeling was quickly quenched by the thought of Snape’s snarling features bearing down at him. Harry shivered. He was really beginning to regret his badly thought-out plan to just sprint straight out of the door. He’d had that whole half an hour to sneak out quietly, but by wrenching the door open and bolting he’d probably alerted Snape to his absence within about three minutes of his departure. Was there any way for Snape to figure out that Harry had taken the Knight Bus? He hadn’t seen him, sure, but Harry was certain that with the aid of magic Snape would be able to quickly ascertain that Harry was not in Cokeworth any longer, and there were only so many ways you could travel magically. Harry couldn’t Apparate yet obviously, and if Snape knew he’d taken the Knight Bus when he’d run away from Privet Drive he’d almost certainly check… and the Knight Bus appeared as soon as you flagged it down! Snape could appear and swoop down on Harry at any moment -

 

“You ’eaded back to the Leaky, then?” Stan asked.

 

“What?” Harry said distractedly. “Er - yeah, I suppose…”

 

Harry hadn’t actually given much thought to where he was headed, just that he needed to get as far away from Snape as was physically possible.

 

“You’re in luck, then!” Stan beamed. “Mr Knowles is gettin’ off there, and ’e’s next in the queue, so you can ’op off with ’im soon as we’ve dropped these lovely ladies in Bath…”

 

He attempted a pitiful wink directed at the two witches in the back who had stared at Harry when he’d gotten on the bus. They both giggled and cast sidelong glances at Stan.

 

Harry stared at his knees, thinking hard. He supposed the Leaky Cauldron could do - he would just pay to be put up in a room for the last few weeks of August like he’d originally planned. If Snape came looking and tried to take him back, he’d just refuse to go until the man was forced to get Dumbledore. He hadn’t argued hard enough originally, but after spending one terrible week living with Snape, Harry was perfectly willing to shout at Dumbledore himself if it meant he got to stay somewhere else.

 

Besides, Harry was rather angry with Dumbledore. Hadn’t he promised to check in on Harry at Snape's house in the Leaky Cauldron before he’d sent Harry packing to live in hell on earth? Well, it had been a whole week, and he hadn’t seen hair nor hide of Dumbledore! In all likelihood, Dumbledore had meant he would be checking in with Snape, who obviously wouldn’t say if he was being a complete and total git…

 

The witches at the back of the bus were quickly dropped in Bath, and both craned their necks to try and get a good look at Harry as they got off. He sank down into the seat, wishing he could disappear. With every passing minute, as Stan happily chatted with Ernie, Harry felt his dread only grow. At any moment, Snape might summon the Knight Bus and find Harry sitting here. He would then proceed to murder Harry right here in front of Stan and Ernie. He was desperate to get off as soon as possible.

 

Luckily, the bus finally pulled up to the familiar street outside of Diagon Alley before that happened. Mr Knowles, a stooped old wizard with a few lonely strands of grey hair clinging to his bald forehead, made to get off first. He ended up blocking the door, having a go at Stan for how long the Knight Bus had taken to get him there. Harry rolled his eyes, since waiting around to shout at the conductor was making the man’s journey take even longer, and glanced past Mr Knowles to take a look at the Leaky Cauldron. He froze as he saw who was standing at the entrance. 

 

Why was the bloody Minister for Magic always at the blasted pub? Did he ever work?

 

Fudge was chatting with a blonde, square-jawed witch who was scribbling away in a notebook with an acid-green quill. The Muggles walking past somehow didn't notice this.

 

While Harry didn't get the impression that Minister Fudge was looking for him like he had been last time, he still was reluctant to get off the bus and walk past. Fudge had given him a stern talking-to about staying in Diagon Alley and not wandering into Muggle London, Harry didn't think it was the best idea for the Minister to see him waltz back into Diagon Alley like that. Harry didn’t know if he knew he’d been moved to Spinner’s End, but he was almost certain that Fudge would send him straight back to Snape if he was aware. Harry wasn't exactly about to get in a shouting match with one of the most important men in magical Britain, especially as he'd just let Harry off lightly for blowing up Aunt Marge, so he knew Fudge absolutely could not see him right now. He considered using the Invisibility Cloak, but Harry couldn't put that on while he was on the Knight Bus, or on the street that was positively crawling with Muggles. He was stuck.

 

Stan poked Harry’s arm, jolting him out of his thoughts. "Aren't you gettin' off 'ere?"

 

"Er," Harry said, taking a step back so he wasn't visible through the door, "actually…I'm super sorry, I just remembered I need to pick something up. Um, a birthday cake for my friend. We're having a party in Diagon Alley, see…"

 

"Blimey, Neville, you're a right scatterbrain!" Stan said, clapping him on the shoulder. "Didja leave it back in that Cokeworth place?"

 

"Oh, no!" Harry said quickly. "No, it's actually in, er - in Hampstead! Yeah. I need to pick it up from a friend's house."

 

"Well, that ain't too far…" Stan said thoughtfully. "Tell ya what. Since it's you and all, we'll make a quick detour and drop you, eh? Let's go, Ern!"

 

The bus shot off moments later. Harry generally tried to avoid using his fame for things, but at moments like this it did happen to be extraordinarily useful to use his name to try and get to Hermione’s house. It was the only other place he could think of to go…

 

"Where d'you want to be dropped?" Stan asked.

 

"Um," Harry said. The panic about someone coming after him was making Harry's brain short circuit, and he was completely blanking on Hermione's full address. "Just - just the general area?"

 

Stan frowned at him. "Pretty big area, innit? Well, we're comin' up to the high street now…"

 

"Yep, that's it!" Harry said quickly. The bus came to a sudden stop, nearly toppling Stan over. "It's right around the corner from here. Thanks guys."

 

"Orright," Stan said, tipping his cap to Harry as he jumped off the bus. "Bye, Neville!"

 

Harry took a deep, shaky breath as the bus zoomed away down the street. He'd been on the verge of some sort of nervous breakdown ever since Snape had threatened to Legilimise him, and for the first time since he'd left Spinner's End, Harry felt like he could actually breathe again. He still didn't understand why he got like that sometimes - it felt like Harry's lungs stopped working, and every time Harry was fairly certain he would never be able to breathe again, and that he was going to drop dead from the stress of whatever was going on. He didn't know what was wrong with him, and he'd had the problem for as long as he could remember, but he obviously wasn't going to go to the Dursleys about it. They wouldn't care, for one thing, and they also tended to make Harry's breathing problem worse. He just had to get on with it, as unpleasant as it was.

 

Once Harry was feeling a little calmer, he decided it was time to start moving. Without the all-consuming panic of getting off the Knight Bus and away from Snape taking up the majority of his headspace, Harry could at last recall Hermione's address. Unfortunately, that wasn't very helpful since he didn't have a clue where this random high street the Knight Bus had dropped him off at was in relation to Hermione's road. Well, there was nothing for it. Harry hitched his backpack up his shoulders and started walking.

 

His plan was patchy at best, Harry knew that. He wasn't even entirely sure if the Grangers were actually back from France yet - it had either been the 15th or the 19th, Harry couldn't quite remember. If it really was the 15th, Harry would be just about fine, but if it was the 19th it would still be days before anyone got home. Harry desperately wished he'd packed his friends' letters so he could just check. If they weren't back…maybe Harry could break into their shed or something? It was summer, so it wasn't like he'd freeze to death. Besides, Harry was used to sleeping in uncomfortable places. He hoped the Grangers wouldn't be too angry, but he could probably get out of the shed and act like he hadn't been staying there before they got back. Or, he'd head back to Diagon Alley in the morning when the Minister would have finally cleared off and when there wasn't a chance of Snape finding him riding the Knight Bus.

 

Still, if Harry wanted to sleep in the Grangers' shed, he actually had to find their house first, which was becoming increasingly difficult as the sun slowly set. All of the houses here looked the same.

 

He walked, and walked, and walked some more. No luck. Harry considered calling the Knight Bus again, but was overcome by the vivid image of Snape jumping off in a purple conductor uniform to seize him and immediately decided against it. Apparently, he was just going to walk around north London for the foreseeable future. All night, if he had to…

 

Harry groaned. In his journey through the maze-like streets, he'd found himself in a dead end alleyway. For some reason, that filled Harry with crushing despair as the implications of his situation really started to sink in. He was thirteen, alone in a strange part of London, penniless and homeless. He was no closer to finding Hermione's house than when he started.

 

He leaned his head against the wall of a house and shut his eyes. Now that the panic had worn off, Harry was starting to realise how stupid what he'd just done was. Maybe he should just go back…maybe Harry could pretend he'd been hiding at Maureen's the whole time so Snape didn't know just how far Harry had strayed? Sure, he'd be in a load of trouble…but at least he had a roof over his head at Spinner's End. It might be kind of miserable there, but it was a far sight better than being stranded on the streets. Harry was surprised he thought that - even when he’d been stranded in Magnolia Crescent with no way to get out of Surrey,  he’d never even considered for a second going back to Privet Drive. In fact, it had been the least appealing of his options, since Harry could only imagine what awful things Uncle Vernon would do to him for blowing up his sister…

 

No, even though Spinner’s End was a pretty grim place, it was a far sight better than Privet Drive. In fact, if Harry was forced to choose between the Dursleys or Snape and Malfoy, he’d choose the latter every single time. As much as Harry hated Snape, with the distance he had from the situation now Harry could reluctantly admit to himself that Snape hadn't been completely terrible. He didn't like Harry, but unlike the Dursleys, he didn't take that hatred out through beatings and starvation. In fact, the only missed meals Harry had faced at Spinner's End had been the ones he'd skipped himself. The worst Snape did was shout and send Harry to his room. And threaten to Legilimise him, but he did think Harry had stolen something that was apparently deeply precious to Malfoy, even if his reasons for thinking that were completely stupid. And Snape hadn't done it immediately, like Harry had expected. He'd just threatened it…

 

And maybe, just maybe, if Harry begged enough, Snape wouldn't do it. Snape himself had even said at the start of his stay at Spinner's End that he knew about Harry and Malfoy's relationship. Perhaps Harry could convince him that Malfoy really had hidden it himself, or -

 

"Potter!"

 

Harry wheeled around and clapped one hand over his mouth.  Snape was standing at the end of the alleyway, blocking Harry’s exit. His expression was strange - clear, obvious panic, and something else. Something deeper, lurking in the depths of his dark eyes. Terror coiled in Harry’s chest.

 

   I am in so much trouble.

To be continued...
He Knows by aspionage

“What on earth are you doing out here?” Snape hissed, his nostrils flaring. “Are you truly mad?!”

 

Harry pressed himself up against the back wall of the alleyway, his heart beating frantically.

 

“Of all the foolish, impulsive -” Snape cut himself off and huffed loudly. “You could have been dead for all I knew! You didn’t inform a single person that you left the house! Do you have any idea how worried -”

 

Snape abruptly stopped speaking again, and looked away, a muscle in his jaw twitching. He was obviously angry - furious, really. Harry was completely dead. He was really in for it now, wasn’t he?

 

“How did you even find me?” he whispered.

 

“I have my ways,” Snape said cryptically. He remained at the entrance of the narrow alley. There was no way to slip past him unless Harry ran past and ducked under his arms, but he expected Snape would grab onto him if Harry tried to do that. He braced himself for Snape to continue his angry rant, but for some odd reason, the man remained silent. That was unexpected. Shouldn't Snape have started in on a cutting lecture by now?

 

But Snape hadn't really reacted at all, yet. He was just staring at Harry rather intensely, with a slight frown tugging at his lips. It wasn’t an irritated frown, though - well, not entirely. In fact, Harry got the unmistakable impression that Snape was a bit confused, and trying to work something out.

 

No one spoke for a long time, until Harry dared to break the silence. “Can you just leave?”

 

Snape gave him an incredulous look. “I’m not going to allow you to wander Muggle London alone at night! Are you truly deluded? You are coming back with me immediately! What prompted you to engage in such an utterly foolish stunt?”

 

“I was trying to get away from you and Malfoy, actually,” Harry growled. He expected Snape to snap out a biting reply, but once again, he didn’t say a word. He just continued to stare at Harry with that odd, inscrutable expression.

 

Snape slowly took a step forward.

 

Harry plunged a hand into his pocket and pointed his wand at Snape. “Don’t! Stay back!”

 

Snape muttered an oath under his breath and slowly raised his hands in a placating gesture. The expression on his face morphed into something new - a look that was equal parts horrified understanding and dread. “Merlin’s beard, I’m not going to hurt you, Potter! Put the wand away, now.”

 

“Oh, yeah?” Harry challenged. His hand was trembling. “Forgive me if I’m not so sure about that.”

 

Snape seemed to deflate somehow. He sighed very loudly and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Let me take a different approach, then. If you cast a single spell, the Ministry will once again swoop down onto you for a violation of the Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery. I’m sure you would rather not risk expulsion for a second time this summer?”

 

Shit. Snape was right - Harry couldn’t cast any spells without getting thrown out of Hogwarts, could he? Harry certainly wasn’t willing to risk that, and that meant Snape was free to do whatever he wished here…

 

Harry bit down hard on his lip, tried to calm his shaky breathing, and slowly placed his wand back in his pocket. Snape nodded at him. “Thank you.”

 

"Oh, fuck you," Harry spat, trying to mask his terror with anger. It was easier, less vulnerable, especially when he felt so out of control here. He didn’t have a single thing he could do to defend himself against Snape, who was bigger, stronger, and had more magic at his disposal. Harry was shaking, and hoped it was too dark for Snape to tell.

 

"I'm really not going to hurt you," Snape repeated, and if Harry didn't know better he'd say Snape was the scared one. His eyes were strangely wide. "Potter, why do you think -"

 

“Leave me alone,” Harry whispered. He felt defenceless without access to magic, and Snape's repeated assurances weren't ringing true. He had to be lulling Harry into a false sense of security. “Please.”

 

“No. That would be dangerous and negligent.”

 

Harry hugged himself with his arms and tried to make himself as small as possible. He watched Snape like a cornered animal, prepared in case he tried to step forward again, but the man didn’t move an inch.

 

“So, Potter,” Snape drawled, not budging from the exit. “What exactly was the plan here, hmm? Did you even have one?”

 

“Yes, actually,” Harry said defiantly. “I was going to go to Hermione’s family.”

 

“Miss Granger, who is currently abroad with her parents?”

 

“She said they’d be back by now!” Harry protested, even though he wasn’t entirely certain if Hermione had returned from France or not.

 

“Well, you clearly misunderstood her,” Snape said. He tutted, and shook his head. “Her house is empty. It is also, I might add, half an hour by foot in the opposite direction to where you were walking. If this was your plan, you really need to sort out your appalling sense of direction…”

 

Harry didn’t respond to that final comment - he was too focused on the first. “You were at Hermione’s house? What?”

 

“I was looking for you.”

 

It was strange to think that Snape had been at Hermione’s house. Or that he even knew where she lived, actually. Where else had Snape gone while looking for Harry? How many places had he been before he ended up on this particular street? Harry had been out for a few hours by now.

 

“How about we go back to Spinner’s End so we can talk somewhere a bit more civilised than a dark alleyway?” Snape suggested when Harry's silence dragged on for too long. He rolled his eyes.

 

“Oh, we’re going to talk, are we?” Harry said, his words positively dripping with sarcasm. “Or are you just going to read my mind?”

 

Snape exhaled loudly. “I was never actually going to do it, Potter!”

 

“You sure sounded like you were planning to!” Harry said indignantly.

 

“It was an empty threat to make you confess!” Snape said, the frustration in his tone clear. “When you still refused to say anything, I did start to realise I could have misjudged the situation, but by the time I came to speak to you about it you’d vanished!”

 

“Well what was I supposed to do?” Harry shouted. “You were going to go through my memories, you wouldn’t believe me no matter what I said or did!”

 

“That was wrong of me.”

 

Harry fell silent, his mouth hanging open with shock. Had Snape seriously just admitted fault?

 

“I had no reason to believe you a liar outside of my pre-existing prejudices," Snape continued, expression inscrutable. Only the slight tension in his jaw alerted Harry to how reluctantly this apology was being given. "I spoke to Draco, and he told me that he framed you for stealing the necklace so that you would get in trouble. I have been rather unjust, I fear.”

 

Harry didn’t respond to any of that. Snape was only now realising he’d been unfair? What a joke.

 

“Potter, come on,” Snape pleaded. "You obviously can't stay out here. You realise that, don't you?"

 

“Why do you even care?” Harry asked, the volume of his voice climbing. “You hate me, I know you do! Stop acting like you give a damn about what happens to me and leave me here! I’ll manage by myself. I always have.”

 

“No. I am not going to leave,” Snape said for the third time.

 

Harry just wished more than anything that Snape would stop staring at him the way he was. Normally, he glowered at Harry like he was a bit of scum on the toe of his shoe. Not anymore. The look he was giving Harry now was something softer, kinder, and Harry absolutely hated it. He didn’t know what it meant, and that worried him.

 

“Harry.”

 

He jumped slightly. Had Harry just heard that properly? Had Snape seriously just used his first name?

 

“I… I first met Lily in the park one day,” Snape said finally, his voice barely louder than a whisper. Harry stiffened, and strained his ears to listen. “We were both nine years old at the time. I instantly knew she was a witch, because she simply had the most wonderful magic. She used to grow flowers in the palm of her hand, or jump from the highest point off a swing and just float down… you have her eyes, you know.”

 

A look of great pain had now crossed Snape’s face, and Harry didn’t dare to speak as the man trailed off, turning his face away from view, hiding in the harsh shadows cast by the streetlights. Harry inhaled shakily, his chest tight, and waited, praying Snape would continue. He was hanging onto his every word.

 

“What I mean to say from all this," Snape murmured, downcast eyes lifting to meet Harry's, "is that your mother was one of the only true friends I ever had in my life. She was nothing but kind to me despite my many flaws, and I would be dishonouring her memory if I allowed you to rot on the streets in the cold. In fact, I already have been dishonouring her by treating you so unfairly, and I owe both Lily and you an apology. I’m sorry, Harry.”

 

That got his attention. Not only had Snape actually apologised, but he’d called Harry by his first name again. That had never happened before. He wasn’t hearing things, then…

 

What was going on here? What could have possibly prompted Snape to abruptly realise how horrid he was? Surely it couldn’t just be the necklace incident?

 

“I’d appreciate it if you came back to Spinner’s End with me so we can talk properly,” he said quietly. “Things are not going to continue in the manner they have for the past week, I promise you. Can you please just come with me already?”

 

I don’t have much of a choice, do I? Harry thought wearily. As much of a bastard as Snape was, he seemed pretty insistent that he wasn’t going to abandon Harry in this alleyway. Besides, even before Snape had shown up, Harry had been considering heading back. A house containing two people he hated was still a house, after all. Sleeping rough wasn’t all that appealing.

 

But still, Harry was so scared to go back to Spinner’s End. Even after everything Snape had said, Harry still felt like he was in a world of trouble, and that Snape would flip the switch and go ballistic as soon as he was back in the privacy of his own home. Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia were always lying when they promised Harry wasn’t in trouble. He’d learnt very quickly never to believe them.

 

“Harry?”

 

His first name again. That broke Harry out of the anxious loop of his thoughts for a moment. The usage of his name seemed to have the unique ability to gain Harry’s undivided attention when it came from Snape.

 

“If I do come back, will you tell me more about my mum?” he asked in a small voice.

 

Snape sucked in a breath and pressed his lips together. His eyes seemed overbright, but Harry convinced himself it was just a trick of the light. A moment later, Snape gave Harry a tight nod, intentionally not looking at him. “I will endeavour to, yes.”

 

Harry’s hope instantly died. That wasn’t even a real, sincere promise, and that one small tidbit would be all he ever got -

 

Snape noticed Harry’s reaction and his shoulders slumped. “You have to understand that this is a very difficult matter for me to discuss. That is the reason I reacted in the manner which you witnessed when you confronted me the morning after visiting with Maureen. Lily’s life and death is an area of great pain for me, and I struggle to speak about her.”

 

Oh. Harry hadn’t considered things from that angle at all. He’d automatically assumed that Snape’s refusal to talk to Harry about his mum had been entirely motivated by spite; that he hated Harry so deeply that he wanted to keep any last scrap of his mother’s memory away just to hurt him. Harry had never considered that Snape’s reluctance actually came from grief, of all things. Seeing this display of such deep, raw emotion which was currently written all over Snape’s face was incredibly humanising, but it also made a strangely guilty sensation squirm in Harry’s stomach.

 

“If it’s too painful for you, I don’t want to make you talk about her -”

 

“No.” Snape interrupted, holding up a hand. “That is not what I meant. I will talk to you about Lily if you return with me now, I am simply asking for a bit of patience in the matter.”

 

“Well yeah, of course.” Harry would take any scrap of information about his mum that he could get, even if it took Snape a little time to manage it. He honestly couldn’t believe Snape was offering this at all.

 

Snape outstretched a hand, palm facing up. “Shall we return, then?”

 

“Fine,” Harry said reluctantly, rubbing his hands across his arms to try and suppress his shivers. He could do this - if he was going to hear stories about his mum at last, he would try again at Spinner’s End. That could make it worth it.

 

“Splendid.” Snape was visibly relieved. “I will now take your arm to Apparate us back, then.”

 

Harry stood frozen in place as Snape slowly walked down the alley towards him. He reached his outstretched hand and gently took hold of Harry’s bicep. Even though Harry knew Snape was going to take his arm, he still automatically tensed up. Adrenaline was pumping through him, and he felt jumpier than usual. He was relieved when Snape didn’t comment, but that strange, unidentifiable emotion that had been stirring in the depths of his eyes throughout their entire conversation seemed to intensify.

 

What was going on with Snape tonight? Why wasn’t he shouting and raging at Harry for running off after he’d been explicitly warned against it? Why was he being so… nice?

 

Moments later, Harry’s surroundings vanished, and he was once again overcome by the unpleasant sensation of being squeezed through a tight tube that he was entirely too big for. When it was finally over Harry’s legs crumpled out from under him, and it was only Snape’s steadying grasp of Harry’s arm that stopped him from toppling to the ground as he gasped for air, struggling to force down the looming nausea.

 

“You don’t Apparate often, do you?” Snape remarked.

 

Harry shook his head, still trying to catch his breath. “No…first time was with…with Dumbledore.”

 

“Professor Dumbledore,” Snape corrected absently, but it was clear his mind was far from the conversation. He was currently scanning the streets closely. “Come on, let’s go. It's not safe out here.”

 

He began to walk, casting nervous glances into shadowed corners as they made their way out of the side road Harry had Apparated into with Dumbledore the week before. Harry couldn’t help but notice that Snape hadn’t let go of his arm, but didn’t dare ask the man to. He supposed he wasn’t trusted to walk along by himself without doing another runner, and was scared asking to be released might make Snape finally explode and snap back to his usual angry self.

 

What the hell had Harry been thinking, agreeing to come back here? Had he suffered a temporary lapse of sanity?

 

A mounting sense of fear rose in Harry as they walked along, drawing closer to the house. What was Snape going to do to him when they got back inside? He’d clearly been looking for Harry quite intensively, and was surely furious that Harry had interrupted his evening… Perhaps Snape was just hiding it, waiting to flip out and smack Harry as soon as they were out of the watchful eyes of the neighbourhood. The Dursleys had been the same way. They’d never hurt Harry publicly, but in private…

 

Harry tried in vain to look for an escape, but how could he get away with Snape holding onto him? He was screwed. He’d had one runaway attempt and had completely and utterly butchered it.

 

All too soon, they reached the front door of Snape’s house, which Harry was escorted inside of. Snape locked the door behind him with his wand, and Harry’s mouth went dry. No escape. He was stuck in here with no way out…

 

“Go into the living room and wait for me,” Snape ordered, oblivious to Harry’s growing panic. “We still have a lot to talk about."

 

Talk. Yeah, right. Harry sat himself on the piece of furniture situated farthest from Snape’s usual high-backed armchair. The professor didn’t come in right away, which only worsened Harry’s anticipatory dread. Was Snape getting a cane to beat Harry with, or something worse? Some magical tool of punishment that inflicted pain Harry couldn’t even begin to imagine?

 

But when Snape finally walked into the room, causing Harry to jump a little, he was simply carrying two opaque white pots, each no bigger than the palm of his hand, which he set down on the coffee table before taking a seat in his armchair. He examined Harry closely with his dark eyes. They were like two black tunnels - you didn't have a clue what was happening on the other side.

 

“Before we discuss any of this running away business, I have something quite important that I need you to explain immediately,” Snape said, leaning forward slightly. “You see, when Draco informed me about the circumstances which forced your departure, I also found out something else. A secret that you’d asked him to keep from me.”

 

A sudden wave of nausea hit Harry as he realised what Snape was referring to.

 

“He’s lying,” he said quickly, desperately. This was worse than any of his nightmares. Snape couldn’t know about the bruises, he couldn’t. He was too smart, he’d easily put it all together!

 

“How can you know that Draco is lying if you haven’t heard what this secret is?”

 

Damn. Harry was really panicking, and it was making him sloppy. He had to think, he had to think quickly and come up with something convincing, but his brain was full of fizzling static and the words weren't coming -

 

“According to Draco,” Snape said carefully, “he walked into your bedroom a few days ago and saw a series of strange injuries on your back and torso, which you seemed very defensive about. Can you explain to me how you sustained these contusions?”

 

“I - I fell out of a tree,” he lied.

 

“Why would you feel the need to go to such drastic lengths to hide a tree-climbing accident?” Snape asked, giving him a piercing look. It felt as though he could see into Harry’s very soul. "Cease with the lying, Potter."

 

“I’m not!" Harry said desperately, digging his fingernails into his forearms, "I’m not lying!”

 

“You are,” Snape said quietly. “And I would appreciate it if you didn’t. As I said to you earlier, I have no reason to distrust your word or to brand you a liar at the moment, and I would not like for that to change.”

 

That was completely unfair. This wasn’t lying, it was Harry doing what he had to so the Dursleys never found out how dangerously close to the truth Snape was!

 

“You informed Draco that you were involved in a biking accident, which is where you claimed the injuries came from,” Snape added, rhythmically tapping one finger against the arm of his chair. “Not that he knew what that was, of course… I doubt that’s what really occurred, however.”

 

“Malfoy doesn’t know what a bike is?” Harry asked blankly.

 

“No, he does not. Don’t change the subject,” Snape said sternly. “I need you to tell me what actually happened to you.”

 

“Nothing’s happened!” Harry shouted. Maybe, just maybe, if he screamed it loud enough, Snape would finally give up and let it go.

 

“These injuries can’t have appeared out of thin air,” Snape said with a shake of his head. “There has to be some sort of explanation, and I demand to hear it. What happened, Potter?"

 

“It’s none of your bloody business what happened to me!” Harry protested, glowering at Snape. “I’m fine, he’s exaggerating, so just leave it!”

 

“It is my business, as a matter of fact,” Snape said coolly, steepling his fingers, “and your reluctance to explain is only confirming my suspicions. As the person with authority over you currently, I need to ensure you are safe. Tell me what happened to you, and tell me now.”

 

Despite Snape’s stern tones, Harry was undeterred. He knew that any amount of irritation Snape was feeling was nothing in comparison to what would happen to him if he ratted out the Dursleys. “I - I got into a fight. Back in Little Whinging.”

 

“No, you didn’t!” Snape made a frustrated noise, got to his feet and began to pace.

 

“I did!” Harry said, praying the man would believe him. “I just didn’t want to tell you because I didn’t want to get in more trouble!”

 

“What have I said about falsehoods?” Snape hissed, halting his movement across the living room. He put his hands on his hips and glared down at Harry. His face was even sterner than it had been the time Harry had thrown a firework in Goyle's cauldron to steal Polyjuice ingredients. “I know you’re not telling the truth, it’s written all over your face!"

 

He took a few steps forward, and crouched down so his face was level with Harry's, so Harry had no choice but to meet Snape's dark, fervent eyes. "Your reluctance to explain coupled with your general behaviour over this past week has told me almost everything I need to know, do you realise that? Now are you going to say what we both know happened here, or do I have to come out and say it for you?”

 

“You don’t have to say anything because there’s nothing to say!” Harry’s heart was pounding in his ears as the situation continued to spin further and further out of his control. This couldn’t be happening, it couldn’t -

 

“Harry,” Snape said in that awful, gentle voice, using his first name once again. “Your relatives were the ones who hurt you, weren’t they?”

 

Harry didn’t respond, he could feel himself shaking, and he wrapped his arms tightly around himself, not meeting Snape’s eyes, because he knew. Snape, of all people, knew Harry’s darkest secret.

 

“I need you to tell me, Harry,” Snape said in a strained voice. “Am I right?”

 

Wordlessly, finally, he nodded, barely registering the way Snape crumpled in on himself after his confirmation, too consumed by the torrent of his own emotions. After all, what was the point in lying anymore? The truth was out, it was weighing down on Harry’s shoulders like heavy chains, and he didn’t know how he was expected to carry it.

 

And now Snape knew that Harry was pathetic, that his relatives hated him. What if he told all the Slytherins? What if Snape used it as a weapon in his arsenal of verbal taunts? Harry didn’t think he could bear that, he just couldn’t. What was he going to do now? Harry couldn’t breathe, it felt like his chest was caving in on him and there wasn’t a single molecule of oxygen travelling to his head, he couldn’t breathe and he was going to die -

 

“Take a deep breath,” Snape said. He’d put his hands on Harry’s forearms. When had that happened? “Breathe in and out with me.” Snape started inhaling and exhaling in a very exaggerated manner. “Copy me.”

 

At first, Harry thought it was slightly stupid, because nothing could ever dislodge what felt like a rock sitting directly in the centre of his chest. He copied Snape all the same, though, since Harry thought if he couldn’t get his lungs to start working properly soon, he would collapse.

 

To his immense shock, Harry was wrong. Eventually, somehow, his breathing slowed and his heart calmed, leaving Harry feeling a lot less like he was going to die, yet incredibly embarrassed. He yanked his arms away and stared at a fixed point on the wall, trying to make himself as small as possible while he waited for Snape to taunt him somehow over that spectacle. Shockingly, he didn’t say a word. He just kept watching.

 

“Sorry,” Harry whispered eventually, utterly mortified.

 

“There is no need to apologise,” Snape said briskly. Harry couldn’t read his face because he refused to look up until the fierce burning in his cheeks died down. “This sort of discussion would send anyone into a panic attack, I believe. Nothing to be ashamed of.”

 

A panic attack? Harry had never heard his weird breathing problem referred to as such before. He supposed that made sense as a descriptor, since whenever Harry couldn’t breathe, the sensation was accompanied by a feeling of all-consuming anxiety and dread. Filled with a sudden rising disgust with himself, Harry slumped back into the sofa, burying his face in his hands. He couldn't believe that had just happened in front of Snape. How completely and utterly humiliating…

 

But what happened now? Where did you even go after something like this got brought out into the open? Harry felt well and truly sick to his stomach.

 

At long last, Snape cleared his throat. “I need to see these injuries.”

 

“Oh, hell no!” Harry said, throwing himself to the other side of the sofa and putting his arms up defensively, feeling the fear flood straight back.

 

“Harry…”

 

“No!” he hissed. “I’m fine, just leave it!”

 

“I can help,” Snape said, gesturing to the pots on his table. They had to be potions, then. “And I need to look at them so I can properly ascertain their severity. Diagnostic Charms can only take you so far.”

 

I’ve been here ages, now, they barely hurt anymore!” Harry lied.

 

“I cannot allow you to remain hurt without doing something about it,” Snape said, moving closer. “The injuries could be infected, or something that can’t heal without medical intervention -”

 

“Why do you even care?” Harry shouted, terror and disgust practically choking him. “You’ve been nothing but awful to me the whole time you’ve known me, what’s changed?! Why do you suddenly care about any of this?”

 

He suddenly stopped himself, remembering that this was Snape he was shouting at. A sudden surge of anxiety hit him. What on earth was he thinking? Harry was almost certainly getting on Snape’s last nerve, especially since he’d just run away, and he was only making things worse, getting himself into more trouble. What was Snape going to do to Harry now?

 

Snape seemed to notice Harry’s anxious reaction and his shoulders stiffened. “You won’t be in trouble for getting upset. In fact, if shouting at me makes this process easier for you, feel free to carry on.”

 

“There isn’t going to be a process because you’re not seeing them!” he said angrily. “It’s not like I’m on death’s door, it’s just a couple of bruises! I’m fine!

 

“I need to see them so I can be assured of that and treat the injuries as needed,” Snape said, lacing his fingers together. “I have a duty of care, you realise? I promise you that I will be as quick as possible.”

 

“I don’t want to.”

 

Snape sighed, and rubbed his hands over his face. He looked exhausted. “Do you want me to try and track down Madam Pomfrey so she can do it instead? I believe she is currently holidaying in Ibiza, but she would in all likelihood come over here and -”

 

“I don’t want her seeing anything either!” Harry protested hotly.

 

“Your choice is either myself or Madam Pomfrey,” Snape said firmly. “You get to decide who, but somebody has to look at these injuries and treat them.”

 

“I hate you,” Harry growled, bunching his hands into fists.

 

“You can hate me all you like, but it does not change what needs to happen,” Snape said tonelessly.

 

“You’re a stupid bastard, and you can fuck off.”

 

That sort of disrespect normally would have made Snape completely lose it, which is what Harry desperately wanted to happen. He knew how to deal with Snape when he was angry, not when he was like this. To his immense shock, Snape’s expression didn’t even flicker. He remained collected as he expectantly waited for Harry to choose.

 

“How the hell are you so calm?” Harry demanded, slamming his palm onto the sofa arm as his frustrations boiled over. “You’ve spent all week having a go at me if I so much as look at you funny, and suddenly you’re in complete control of your emotions? How?!”

 

“Occlumency,” Snape said simply.

 

Harry frowned. “Ocky-what?”

 

“Occlumency,” Snape repeated in a flat voice devoid of inflection. “It’s a form of mental arts I am currently employing which assists me with emotional regulation.”

 

“Oh." Harry's eyebrows furrowed. "I’ve never heard of that.”

 

“I wouldn’t expect you to have,” Snape said. Harry couldn’t work out if that was meant to be an insult or not. “If you’d like, I can tell you more about it after your injuries have been seen to.”

 

Harry groaned. “They’re really not that bad! Just drop it already!”

 

“I am not going to drop it!” Snape said fiercely. “Harry, I understand this is the last thing you want to happen, but nonetheless, it is happening. This is by no means a pleasant matter for either one of us, and I would also like for this to be done with, but I cannot let this go until I make sure your health is attended to. Dragging this out is not going to make this any easier, so I would highly recommend you stop fighting me and make your decision. Would you like me to deal with your injuries, or would you like me to try and find Madam Pomfrey so she can do it?”

 

Harry pressed his lips together and stared at his hands, which were trembling. He knew, deep down, that no matter how much he railed against Snape there was just no getting out of this. He was going to make Harry show someone, and now all there was to do was to decide who.

 

His immediate instinct was to ask for Madam Pomfrey, but Harry had to dismiss that idea rather quickly. If she was on holiday, he’d feel terrible about dragging her away to deal with him. Besides, she didn’t know about the Dursleys right now, but Snape did. Harry would really prefer to limit the number of people who did and didn’t know about his home life. Right now, it was only Snape, and Harry would vastly prefer to keep things that way.

 

“Fine,” he said through gritted teeth. “You, then.”

 

If Snape was surprised by Harry’s answer, he didn’t show it. “Alright. I need you to remove your shirt.”

 

Harry nodded, biting down on his lip so hard it drew blood. He hated this so much, but he just needed to get it over with. Just do it, like ripping off a plaster. It was over more quickly if you didn’t drag it out, right?

 

But it was so difficult for Harry to motivate his hands to move to his shirt and pull it off over his head, leaving his overly skinny frame and the half-healed injuries that marked it visible to Snape’s prying eyes. He felt so awfully, horribly exposed, and screwed his eyes shut. He couldn’t look at Snape; Harry was terrified of seeing pity if he dared to do so.

 

Snape didn’t say anything at first. Harry eventually opened his eyes but didn’t look at the other man. While Snape cast some sort of spell, which made a piece of parchment appear in the air next to him, Harry focused his attention on a small smudge of soot on one of the skirting boards by the fireplace. It looked a little bit like a star.

 

Finally, Snape took a deep breath in. “Come forward and sit on the ottoman so I can apply this healing salve and some bruise balm. It will get rid of these bruises and end any residual pain.”

 

His tone was calm and clinical. Harry breathed out - that was almost bearable. He stood up from the sofa and settled himself on the ottoman with his back to Snape, staring at the ugly curtains dully while Snape opened the white pots sitting on the coffee table. The lids clicked as they popped off.

 

He flinched as Snape’s fingers started rubbing something cold into a bruise on Harry’s shoulder, but he was very gentle. Still, Harry was unable to relax. He dug his fingers into the ottoman and stared off, wishing he were anywhere else, doing anything else, hating it even more when Snape took him by the shoulders and turned him around to heal the bruises on his ribs. Harry had to look at Snape, then, but there was no pity, or disgust, or anything, really, on Snape’s face, which was a blessing. It was a blank mask, and Harry could almost pretend like he was staring at the empty, lifeless face of a doll instead of Professor Snape, a man he hated who was currently dealing with Harry’s darkest secret.

 

And Snape was right - his potions helped. Harry wasn’t in pain for the first time since he’d left Hogwarts for the summer. He'd almost forgotten what it was like to be able to move his body without gingerly working around a sore injury. Harry rolled his shoulders, marvelling as his skin didn’t tug painfully between his shoulder blades from the scab that had formed over a large scrape that he’d gotten when Dudley had shoved him into the corner of a table. He could take a deep breath in without the bruise on his ribcage from a door handle Vernon had shoved him up against throbbing unpleasantly. It was remarkable.

 

Once Snape was done, he pressed the pots into Harry’s hands. “Are there more injuries below your waist that you’d like to go and take care of in the bathroom?”

 

Harry nodded mutely, grateful for this one modicum of privacy amongst everything.

 

“Come back when you’re done,” Snape called as Harry walked out of the room, shirt clenched tightly in his fist. “I’ll be up to check on you if you don’t. Our discussion isn’t over.”

 

Of course it isn’t, he thought bitterly. Was this torment ever going to end?

 

When Harry had taken care of the last couple of injuries, he donned his shirt again. It stuck to his skin where Snape had applied his salves. God, Harry did not want to go back down there. He considered hiding in the bathroom, but Snape had said he’d be up to check on Harry if he took too long, and he didn’t want that to happen, either…

 

Reluctantly, Harry walked back into the living room with the pots in his hands, passed them back to Snape and sat back down on the sofa with his knees folded into his chest. Snape moved from his armchair to sit on the other end of the sofa, too close to Harry for comfort. The air was thick with tension.

 

“This has been going on a while, I presume?” Snape asked.

 

“I’m not telling you anything,” Harry muttered. “You’ll just use it against me.”

 

“I would never use this against you.”

 

“Oh, really?” Harry said, raising an eyebrow. “After the way you’ve treated me? Forgive me if I have a hard time believing that, sir.”

 

Snape sighed heavily. “I deserve that. You have no reason to trust me, of course... I can promise you, however, as someone who has had similar life experiences as you, I would never use this against you. Never.”

 

That caught Harry off guard. “Similar life experiences?”

 

Snape hesitated, and took in a halting breath. “My father… well, my father was a deeply unpleasant man.”

 

“Oh.”

 

Harry immediately understood what Snape was alluding to, and tried not to look too visibly shocked. Why would Snape tell Harry, somebody he utterly despised, something that personal? The only explanation Harry could think up was that Snape genuinely wanted Harry to trust his word; so much so that he’d tell Harry something so private.

 

But why? Why did he care?

 

“I really do understand what you’re going through, Harry,” Snape said earnestly. “And I will keep your confidence. I thought you should know that, if it helps you feel more comfortable speaking to me."

 

“I don’t want to talk at all,” Harry whispered. “It won’t help, it just gets you in more trouble.”

 

Don’t ask questions. The most important of Aunt Petunia’s rules, which Snape was breaking. You just didn’t speak of these things! They were private!

 

“How would it get you in more trouble?” Snape asked, leaning forward.

 

“It did the last time I told someone,” he said, thinking all the way back to the flurry of social services when he was six, and the subsequent starvation and cupboard confinement. Harry wasn’t stupid enough to get himself into that kind of trouble again.

 

“Rest assured, nothing you say here will get you in trouble with your relatives,” Snape said. “I am simply aware of the fact that these things fester if they aren’t addressed, so talking would be beneficial to your mental health. Additionally, I require some kind of detail about their treatment of you so I can ensure you do not ever have to return to live with them.”

 

The hope blossoming in Harry’s chest was almost sickeningly cloying. “Are you serious? I might not have to go back?”

 

“Not if I have anything to do with it,” Snape growled. His calm exterior wavered for a moment, to be replaced by a look of dark, seething hatred. For the first time in his life, Harry could sit here and feel truly certain none of that was aimed at him, though. “I have removed children facing similar circumstances from their homes, Mr Potter, and I should be able to do the same for you if you simply provide me with the necessary evidence. The Dursleys are additionally at a significant disadvantage due to their status as Muggles, which will stack the deck against them in any sort of legal battle.”

 

“Oh, they wouldn’t fight to keep me,” Harry said with an odd, slightly hysterical chuckle. “They can’t stand me, I think they’re more likely to throw a party or something…”

 

Snape didn’t reply to that - if anything, the slightly dangerous edge he had to him intensified. “As I said. Simply tell me what you experienced under their appalling rendition of care, and I can start the process.”

 

Harry wanted to, he really did. But overshadowing the hope of escape was an overwhelming sense of exhaustion and weariness. The emotional toll of the night was too much, and Harry had an awful burning sensation behind his eyes that alarmed him to potential oncoming tears. Snape couldn’t see him cry - he’d already seen enough of Harry’s emotional baggage for a lifetime. Besides, Harry didn't trust Snape, he just couldn't, and so he couldn't bring himself to talk about anything to do with the Dursleys.

 

“Can’t we do all this another time?” he asked finally, struggling to push down the surge of feelings. “I’m really tired, sir, I’d just like to go to my room and rest…”

 

“Very well, but I think it would be best for you and Draco to remain separate for the time being,” Snape said. “He’s currently in the bedroom either contemplating his actions or sleeping, as it’s rather late. He will be sufficiently punished for his absolutely abhorrent behaviour today, I can assure you.”

 

Harry scrunched up the hem of his shirt and stared at the floor.

 

“Something’s wrong,” Snape said flatly.

 

“No, it’s nothing -”

 

“What?” Snape’s voice cut across him. “Tell me, now.”

 

“Just - don’t be too hard on him, alright?” Harry mumbled. “What he did was bad, but…”

 

Something unpleasant settled over Snape’s features. “You seem very convinced I am going to hurt either you or Draco.”

 

Harry cringed. “I don’t mean it like that, I just -”

 

“You meant it in exactly the way I interpreted it,” Snape said through gritted teeth. His shoulders were tense. “Do not lie to me. You think I’d treat the two of you in the same manner as those despicable Muggles.”

 

“It’s just on my mind, obviously!” Harry hissed, shrinking back slightly from Snape. His tone was utterly venomous, and he looked like he wanted to punch something. “And you get kind of scary when you’re angry, okay? You can’t blame me for thinking you might do something!”

 

Snape sighed heavily, and some of the anger faded from his face. A general air of haggardness replaced it. “Considering our history and your upbringing, you’re right - I cannot blame you whatsoever.”

 

Considering your upbringing. Harry grimaced, his emotions surging to almost unmanageable levels once again. Snape knew about his upbringing. It was positively unbearable to contemplate.

 

"Harry."

 

He was never going to get used to Snape using his first name. The man came closer and fixed him with a fervent, intense expression. "Let me make this clear to you now. I am not going to hit you or cast any sort of spell to hurt you, no matter how angry I am. I haven't done it this week, have I? There has been more than one instance where I was rather furious, too.”

 

"You put a Silencing Charm on me this morning," Harry muttered, crossing his arms. He was still rather cross about that, even if it hadn’t actually hurt, per se.

 

Snape glanced to one side. "Not my best decision, I will confess. I regretted it rather quickly, which is why I came out into the garden to remove it as soon as you left the kitchen. I apologise, and give you my word I will not cast that on you again."

 

Harry's jaw dropped, despite himself. That apology had come surprisingly easily…

 

And in a way, that Silencing Charm had saved his bacon. He had been seconds away from calling Snape a series of very foul and rude names that certainly would have merited a worse punishment than being unable to talk for ten minutes.

 

"I understand it will take time to realise that you are safe here," Snape said in a strangely calm and measured voice, "so for now, I will simply give you my word. I will not be violent towards you or Draco, no matter what you do or how angry I am. It completely goes against my principles."

 

Harry nodded, pushing down the choked sensation in his throat. Why did he have to be so emotional tonight? What was wrong with him?

 

"If I'm not allowed in the bedroom, where do I sleep?" Harry asked in a small voice. He was desperate to get away and be alone.

 

"You will use my bedroom for tonight."

 

“What?” Harry’s jaw dropped. “But where will you sleep?”

 

“Here,” Snape said, gesturing to the sofa.

 

“No, you don’t have to do that!” Harry said, feeling slightly horrified. “I can sleep on a sofa - I fall asleep anywhere, it’s really fine…”

 

“I’d rather be downstairs so I can hear if you try to leave again, Potter,” Snape said, crossing his arms and raising an eyebrow. Harry’s cheeks flushed - clearly his runaway attempt had not been forgotten…

 

“We’ll certainly be talking about that in the morning,” Snape said sharply, “and the rest. But for now, you need to eat something, and then have a good night’s sleep.”

 

“I’m not hungry,” Harry mumbled. Whenever he got upset, his appetite vanished.

 

“You haven’t eaten all day,” Snape said, pointing at the door. “This is non-negotiable. Come on, into the kitchen.”

 

Defeated, Harry stood up and followed Snape out into the kitchen and sat back as the man prepared a sandwich for him. His shoulders slumped, and he ran one finger over the nicked and scratched wood of the table.

 

To his horror, Harry felt tears begin to pool in his eyes. Harry didn’t even know why he was crying, specifically. He just felt consumed by a vortex of grief, and terror, and worst of all, hope, a desperate, yearning hope that his hellish summers at the Dursleys stood a chance of being over forever, all while the desire to believe that Snape was telling the truth about helping him was battling against the natural distrust he had for the man. All of it was just too much, and Harry couldn’t hold the emotions inside him anymore. He pressed his lips tightly together to try and hold back the tears, but despite his best efforts, a few spilled over and trickled down his cheeks. Before he had time to wipe them away, Snape turned around from the kitchen counter. He froze, staring at Harry with what could only be described as alarm. It would have been a little funny if Harry didn’t feel so utterly wretched.

 

Harry ducked his head as Snape started walking over, not wanting him to see any more embarrassing outburst of emotions while he did his best to blink away the remaining wetness in his eyes. Snape placed the plate of food down in front of Harry and tapped the kitchen table with his wand. A box of tissues appeared, which he slid towards Harry.

 

Mercifully, Snape didn’t say anything, positive or negative. Platitudes would have been lost on Harry, either way - nothing in the world could make him feel better at that moment. Snape somehow seemed to understand that. He stood silently behind Harry while he viciously scrubbed at his face with a tissue before struggling through the sandwich. He took deep, gasping breaths in a vain attempt to regain control of himself so no more tears would escape, and scrunched the tissue up into a crumpled ball in his fist. When Harry had at last finished eating, the food tasteless and chalk-like in his mouth, he stood up and walked over to the bin to throw the ragged tissue away. Harry didn’t return to the table straight away, though. Instead, he stared into the pitch black garden beyond, gripping the edge of the kitchen counter tightly, trying to squish all of his emotions into a small box he could lock away in the darkest recesses of his mind. His eyes ached.

 

“Are you ready to go upstairs?” Snape asked after about a minute.

 

Harry nodded. He didn’t trust himself to speak as he turned around to follow Snape through the hallway and up the staircase. There was no light coming from the gap beneath Malfoy’s door; he was probably asleep, then.

 

Snape pushed open the door to the one room in his house that Harry had never entered - Snape’s bedroom. Harry had been expressly forbidden from going in here at the beginning of his stay, so it felt completely wrong to step foot across the threshold.

 

When Snape turned the lights on, Harry’s immediate thought was that this place did not look lived in. There were no decorations, no photographs, no haphazard piles of papers. The whole room was really quite spartan with just a bed covered by a plain white duvet, a wardrobe and a dresser. The emptiness reminded Harry a little of the spare bedroom at Privet Drive, which was rarely used outside of Aunt Marge’s sparse visits.

 

The spare room that Harry may never see again if Harry’s summers in Little Whinging were really, truly coming to an end.

 

Harry sucked in a breath and dug his fingernails into his palms. No matter what Snape claimed, he just couldn’t truly believe that was going to happen. Harry had already asked Dumbledore at the end of first year if he could live elsewhere, and he’d refused Harry’s request because of that blood protection that kept him safe from Voldemort. Harry had even told the bloody Minister for Magic himself that he never wanted to go back to Privet Drive, and he’d also dismissed Harry immediately. No one ever cared enough to actually help Harry when he did ask, so what was the point in asking? He’d bet Snape would give up by tomorrow morning.

 

No one ever cared. No one ever bothered, and they never would.

 

“I’ve conjured some nightclothes for you,” Snape said, interrupting Harry’s musings. “I’ll be downstairs if you need anything.”

 

He didn’t move immediately - he was watching Harry still, and irritation surged through him.

 

“You don’t have to hover,” Harry snapped. He felt very embarrassed over the tears, and anger was far easier to manage than mortification. “I’m not an invalid.”

 

Snape nodded. “Of course not. Well - goodbye, then.”

 

He hesitated for a moment, like he wanted to say something else, then shook his head and stepped out of the room, shutting the door behind him. As soon as Snape was gone, Harry sat on the edge of the bed and buried his face in his hands. Finally the tears flowed in earnest, and he didn't bother to try and push them down this time. He was very good at crying without sound after all those years at Privet Drive, and Harry thought he'd earned the right to a few tears. After all, this had quite possibly been the worst day of his life.

 

Unseen by Harry, a box of tissues appeared on top of the dresser. He convinced himself they'd been there all along.

To be continued...
Bite the Hand That Feeds by aspionage

When Harry woke up the next morning, it took him a minute to remember where he was. The sheets were unfamiliar, the bed too wide, the colours all wrong…

 

But as he sat up and took in his surroundings, the memories of the previous night hit Harry like a ton of bricks.

 

Snape knew about the Dursleys.

 

Harry jumped out of the bed like he’d been electrocuted. This couldn’t really be happening, it couldn’t! This was the worst possible thing that could have happened to him! Snape, cruel, hateful, Professor Snape, was the last person Harry wanted to know any of this. In fact, there wasn’t a single person Harry could think of that would be worse than him. Malfoy, perhaps, but he already had all the clues, just waiting to be put together. He as good as knew, too!

 

Harry tried to take deep, gulping gasps of air, but it felt like Hagrid’s three-headed dog was currently sitting on his chest. He hurried into the bathroom, feeling a bit lightheaded, desperate to get out of Snape’s room. Harry wrenched on the tap and utterly drenched himself in the icy water pouring out. The sharp chill stung Harry’s skin, and helped a little to jolt him out of his panicked musings.

 

He observed himself in the mirror. As he watched the rivulets of water trickling down his neck, Harry couldn’t help but notice his red, puffy eyes. They were yet another sick reminder of all that had occurred the night before. Harry couldn’t believe he’d actually let Snape, of all people, see him cry. He never cried! It was mortifying!

 

And now he was going to have to go downstairs and face Snape in the kitchen for breakfast, wasn’t he? Harry desperately wished he could hide in his bedroom instead, but Snape had banned him from there the night before, so he didn’t know what to do. Harry didn’t really feel like pushing things at the minute, considering the weird dynamic shift that had occurred when Snape had taken him home from London. Sure, he was being decent and calm for now, but perhaps disobeying that one rule could be the thing that caused the other shoe to drop. Harry didn’t even dare to go in there for a change of clothes, and reluctantly redressed in the clothes from the previous day. As he tugged off the mysterious pyjamas Snape had conjured for him, Harry abruptly realised these pyjamas were the first he’d ever owned that actually fit him. Something horrid lurched in his stomach.

 

Harry dressed quickly and descended the staircase, but lingered in the narrow hallway. He really didn’t want to go in there and face Snape. The prospect of it was making Harry’s heart thud and his palms grow sweaty, and he hadn’t a clue why.

 

He mentally shook himself. You’re a bloody Gryffindor! Grow a pair and get in there already!

 

It still took Harry a good minute to gather the courage to push open the kitchen door, but he eventually managed to square his shoulders and walk inside. Snape was leaning against the kitchen counter, holding his usual mug of coffee and watching Harry with an expression that was annoyingly unreadable. Harry somehow got the impression that Snape knew he’d been lingering outside and grimaced.

 

To Harry’s immense relief, Snape didn’t comment on his hesitance. He simply nodded his head and said, “Good morning.”

 

Harry just nodded back, unsure of how to proceed. He couldn’t help but think that was a stupid thing for Snape to say to him, since this was quite clearly a terrible morning.

 

“How are you feeling?” Snape asked.

 

Harry shrugged, feeling like his words had been locked up behind the tight knot in his chest. Besides, he didn’t quite know what he was feeling, apart from intense embarrassment over the previous night’s events. Even if he did have the sufficient words to explain what was going on inside his mind, though, he certainly wasn’t going to talk emotions with Snape.

 

“Have your injuries healed well?” Snape asked.

 

Harry tensed at the reminder. “Yes.”

 

“Do you require any more bruise balm?”

 

“No,” he said shortly.

 

“Would you tell me if you did?” Snape asked, arching an eyebrow.

 

Harry felt his temper rapidly beginning to flare. “If you don’t trust me that much, why don’t you take another look, then!”

 

Snape either didn’t pick up on the sarcasm Harry’s tone was laced with, or intentionally ignored it. Either way, he moved across the room with surprising speed and lifted Harry’s shirt, scanning his eyes over where the bruises had once been.

 

“Happy?” Harry hissed. Snape nodded and stepped back as Harry sat down at the table, cheeks burning. He hated the way Snape was treating him - he was acting like Harry was made of glass, or something! What happened to the man that thought Harry was a spoilt, famous brat, and refused to give him a single inch?

 

Luckily for Harry, that was the end of any further talk from Snape. The kitchen fell into merciful silence. As Harry poured himself a bowl of cereal and started picking at it, he realised why it was so strangely quiet; the chair Malfoy usually occupied was empty.

 

Harry frowned and turned to Snape. He inclined his head towards the other end of the table. “Where is he?”

 

“Draco was woken up early,” Snape explained. “He’s currently scrubbing cauldrons in my laboratory as punishment for his behaviour. I can assure you he has been thoroughly reprimanded for what he did to you.”

 

“Oh.” The reminder of the previous day’s events left Harry fidgeting in place. He swirled his cereal around in the bowl, appetite now completely gone. Snape knew, Malfoy almost certainly knew or had guessed, and everything was spiralling out of control…

 

“You don’t eat much,” Snape stated. Harry looked up from his bowl and saw the man’s dark eyes were narrowed.

 

“No,” he replied shortly. “I don’t. Now, can I be excused?”

 

“No, you cannot.” Harry, who had already started to get up, froze halfway up from his chair. “Sit back down. We still need to talk, as you’ll recall.”

 

“I already told you I don’t want to talk about the Dursleys,” he muttered, slumping back into his seat and gripping the edges of the chair tightly.

 

“Not about that,” Snape said with a shake of his head. “Yet, at least. This is about you running away last night. We need to address it.”

 

Of course it was. Harry kept his eyes glued to the table as Snape reached into his pocket and slid a thin silver bracelet across the table. There were some odd markings carved into it. “Put this on.”

 

“Oh?” Harry raised his eyebrows. “Is it our anniversary?”

 

A low growl rumbled in the back of Snape’s throat. “Potter…”

 

Harry quickly picked up on the dangerous undertone and slid the bracelet onto his wrist without further snark. As he did so, the carvings in the silver glowed a dark blue, and the bracelet suddenly shrank in size to fit snugly against his skin. Harry attempted to twist it down his arm and over his hand, but it remained stuck. There was no clasp to remove it, either.

 

“What is this?” he demanded, sticking his arm out.

 

“A device typically used by witches and wizards who have children with Apparition-based accidental magic,” Snape explained. “It allows the parent to locate their offspring using the corresponding bracelet’s runes.”

 

He tugged up the sleeve of his dark robes, revealing an almost identical silver bangle around his right wrist. Harry jumped up from his chair, staring at Snape with nothing short of abject horror. “You’ve got a tracker on me?!”

 

“When you left the garden last time, I told you I’d take measures to ensure you wouldn’t wander off without my knowledge again if you left the property for a second time,” Snape said, crossing his arms. “I am not one to make empty threats. This is for your own safety.”

 

“I wouldn’t have gone anywhere if you and Malfoy weren’t such bullying gits!” Harry shouted, clenching his hands into fists. He heard the sound of glass breaking as he stormed out of the kitchen and slammed the door behind him as hard as he could. Harry doubted he’d be able to leave the house again - Snape would have almost certainly locked him in after last night. It certainly fit the pattern…

 

But Harry so desperately wanted to be alone, and he was sure Snape would angrily follow him for storming off no matter where he went. So, he went to the one place in the house that actually did lock: the bathroom. Harry perched on the edge of the bathtub and buried his face in his hands, breathing heavily. He yanked at the tracker until it dug painfully into the flesh of his wrist, and growled in frustration as it still stubbornly refused to budge.

 

About a minute later, there was a sharp knock. “Open this door immediately.”

 

Harry scoffed. He wasn’t going to do that for anything.

 

“I’m not going to ask a second time,” Snape said, his voice low. “If you don’t unlock that door, I will. You have ten seconds.”

 

Harry didn’t move, and moments later heard Snape sigh loudly. “Alohomora.” 

 

The lock clicked open and Harry jumped up from the edge of the bathtub and pressed himself against the wall as Snape blocked the doorway with his body, eyes narrowed.

 

“You had no right to do that!” Harry protested hotly. “You can’t just barge in here! Leave me alone!”

 

“Are you telling me where I can and cannot go in my own house, Potter?” Snape asked softly. Somehow, Snape managed to be far more intimidating when he was quiet than when he was shouting and raging. As angry as he was, Harry sensed that his patience was running quite low and fell into sullen silence. The blood was pounding in his ears.

 

“As much as you may dislike it, Potter, we are going to talk,” Snape said in a carefully measured voice. His face was blank, but a muscle in his jaw was twitching slightly. “The quicker you stop running off, the sooner it will be over.”

 

“Or what?” Harry bit out.

 

“Well, you have two options,” Snape said, twisting his wand between his fingers. He still hadn’t moved from the doorway. “You can either follow me downstairs, sit down, and have a mature and calm conversation with me, or I will use whatever means necessary to make you sit and listen to me while I talk at you. Is that understood?”

 

Harry considered shooting back with a ‘you can’t make me’, but then caught sight of the wand in Snape’s hand and remembered he actually could make Harry. He grimaced. If Snape would stick a tracker on him, he could only imagine what unpleasant things he’d come up with next to get Harry to do what he wanted, like a Sticking Charm, or some kind of enchanted leash, maybe…

 

“Potter?”

 

“I’ll go down,” he muttered, not looking Snape in the eyes.

 

“Splendid,” Snape said rather snidely. “Come with me downstairs, then.”

 

Harry shouldered past him and stormed down the stairs. Snape was hot on his heels - presumably to stop Harry from fleeing again, he thought resentfully. He stopped in the middle of the hallway, and stared into the kitchen. A stiff breeze shifted his fringe, blowing in through the jagged gap in Snape’s sliding glass door. Harry’s heart dropped - that shattering noise he’d heard when he’d stormed out of the kitchen must have been his accidental magic again. Snape held his wand aloft and Harry tensed, preparing for a spell to shoot at him…

 

But the jet of white light sailed over Harry’s shoulder and lit up the jagged edges of the broken door, causing the glass to slowly grow over the gap, leaving the door good as new. Snape saw him watching and raised an eyebrow. “Perhaps I ought to invest in a different kind of door.”

 

Harry fidgeted with his hands. “It really was an accident, I promise -”

 

“Of course it was.” Snape frowned. “It’s called accidental magic for a reason. You obviously wouldn’t be punished for that.”

 

Harry scoffed. “Obviously? You’ve had me weeding your garden for like a week because of what I did to Aunt Marge!”

 

Snape looked away. If Harry hadn’t known better, he’d have said the man looked a little abashed. “That’s different. I had previously been labouring under the misapprehension that the incident involving her was an intentional attack.”

 

“Why would you think I’d do something like that on purpose?!” Harry hissed, glowering at Snape.

 

“Because it is highly abnormal to punish a child for losing magical control under any circumstances, and seeing as your relatives refused to have you back I assumed that they were angry with you for an intentional incident of Muggle baiting!” Snape said irritably. “I am now realising I was wrong.”

 

“Yeah, you were.” Harry bit his lip, reeling from one particular thing Snape had said. “Are you being serious? Other people don’t punish their kids when they do freaky things?”

 

Somehow, Snape’s scowl managed to deepen. “Of course not! In fact, it is incredibly dangerous for children to be punished over accidental magic, since it can result in the development of an Obscurus.” Harry had no idea what that even was, but it didn’t sound good. “The opposite is often true in wizarding families - accidental magic is generally celebrated as a sign that a young witch or wizard is growing into their powers.”

 

“Oh.” Try as he might, Harry couldn’t imagine a world in which his relatives actually celebrated his magic, of all things. Doing weird things had been the most brutally punished wrongdoing in the Dursley household. He’d obviously not meant any of his accidental magic as a child, like turning his teacher’s wig blue or ending up on the school roof, but it still merited a punishment because those things were abnormal.

 

“So your relatives would punish you for accidental magic, then?” Snape asked in a misleadingly placid voice. As Harry was most certainly not discussing the Dursleys, thank you very much, he didn’t dignify that with any sort of response or reaction.

 

Snape waited in expectant silence for over a minute until he finally seemed to accept that Harry wasn’t going to respond. “So, our discussion. Living room or kitchen?”

 

Harry glanced through the open living room door and shivered slightly at the awful recollections of the previous night the place brought back. No, he wasn’t going anywhere near that room right now if he could help it. “Kitchen.”

 

Snape nodded, and Harry walked back inside and took a seat back at the table. Snape sat opposite him and sat stiffly with his hands folded. “Potter…I believe I owe you an - an apology.”

 

Harry’s jaw dropped. “Excuse me?”

 

“Stop gawking at me,” Snape said roughly. “Yes, I do. I… well, I made no discernible effort to hear out your side of the story when Draco came to me with the necklace incident, and automatically assumed fault on your part. That was wrong of me.”

 

“Oh.” Harry, who had never imagined himself to be in a position where Severus Snape of all people would apologise to him, wasn’t quite sure how to react. “Thank you?”

 

“You are therefore not being punished for running away,” Snape added. “Seeing as I drove you to it, as it were…”

 

“So you’ll take off the bracelet?” Harry asked hopefully.

 

“Just because you were pushed does not change the fact that you have proven yourself to be a flight risk,” Snape said sternly. “At any rate, a location tracker is a useful tool in case you were to be kidnapped by Black -”

 

“Why are you so convinced this random mass-murderer is coming after me?” Harry demanded. “It’s ridiculously paranoid!”

 

“I know it's always a struggle when it comes to you, but do try and use your head, Potter!” Snape said sharply. “You know of Black’s affiliation with the Dark Lord, correct?”

 

“Yeah - he was Voldemort’s right-hand man.”

 

“Do not speak his name!” Snape hissed.

 

Harry rolled his eyes but didn’t press the issue. People could be so stupid about their ‘You-Know-Who’ and ‘Dark Lord’ nonsense.

 

“While I think right-hand man is a bit of a push for Black’s importance in the cause -” Snape wrinkled his nose, like he’d just caught a whiff of a bad smell, “he was nonetheless a supporter of the Dark Lord. As you’ll recall, you defeated him. I can assure you that Black will not look fondly upon the boy who destroyed his master and netted him a life sentence in Azkaban!”

 

Harry couldn’t outright agree with Snape on sheer principle, but after thinking for a moment, he could reluctantly see where the man was coming from. Reluctantly. Harry still thought the measures Snape was taking were stupid and paranoid, but he supposed it did make sense for them to assume Black would be after him specifically…

 

“Even discounting magical threats such as Black, it is still extraordinarily dangerous for a thirteen-year-old boy to strike out into Muggle London alone after dark!” Snape said severely. “What if you had been mugged, assaulted, or otherwise injured? Nobody knew where you were, so it would have been hours before you could have gotten proper help!”

 

“Okay, okay!” Harry snapped. For some reason, Snape’s lecturing had him feeling oddly guilty, and it was making him horribly uncomfortable. “I won’t do anything like that again.”

 

“No, you won’t,” Snape said sternly. “Although, as I said, I will concede that the incident was exacerbated by my handling of the situation with Draco. Still, if you ever do something that reckless and impetuous again, I promise you I will be far less lenient.”

 

Harry ground his back teeth and stared pointedly out of the window at the storm clouds building in the sky above. He wasn’t going to respond. Snape was surely trying to bait him again - trying to get Harry to fly into another rage so he had a decent excuse to punish him.

 

He’s already had loads of valid chances this morning, though, a small voice in the back of his head said. But he hasn't done anything. He's being patient.

 

Harry ignored this and returned to seething quietly.

 

“On a similar note, I thought it might be useful to clear up on the house rules,” Snape said when the silence had dragged on for too long.

 

Ah, here was the nasty git Harry was used to. Of course he was seizing the chance to flex his authority and come up with more impossible standards Harry could never live up to…

 

“The rules I gave you at the beginning of your stay here still stand,” Snape said, “but I am going to add a new one about meals. You will be obligated to attend all of them, and to clear your plate. I’ve noticed your sporadic dining habits over the last week and that needs to stop.”

 

He shot a pointed look in the direction of Harry’s abandoned cereal bowl. By now, the cornflakes had dissolved into mush.

 

“I don’t need to be micromanaged,” Harry muttered resentfully. He wasn’t a child, and even when he had been one, he’d been responsible for his own eating!

 

Snape sighed loudly and got out his wand. Harry tried to duck away as the man flicked it in his direction, but no painful Stinging Hex or whatever other nasty affliction he’d been expecting befell him. Instead, a strange icy sensation that reminded Harry of walking through Nearly-Headless Nick coated his skin. It gradually began to fade, and a piece of parchment appeared in Snape’s hand which he quickly glanced over.

 

“As it happens, you do need to be micromanaged,” he said stiffly. “You are significantly underweight, and deficient in a number of key nutrients. This will need to be rectified before it becomes even more dangerous to your health.”

 

Harry rolled his eyes. “I’m fine.”

 

“I beg to differ.” Snape placed the parchment in the centre of the table, and his eyebrows rose. A bunch of complicated medical terms Harry didn’t understand swam before his eyes, and he only managed to pick up a few random words and phrases, like ‘iron deficiency’ and ‘bone density’ before Snape took back the document, folded it up and placed it in the pocket of his robes.

 

“You do not get a choice in this, Potter,” Snape warned. “This needs to be sorted immediately. Call it micromanaging if that’s what you insist upon, but mealtimes are a priority from now on, is that understood?”

 

“Okay. Whatever.” Snape seemed weirdly insistent about the whole thing, and it wasn’t exactly the worst thing that had ever been asked of Harry. He’d rather be full than hungry, after all.

 

“I thought it might also be…helpful to know that I will be implementing a number of rules for myself so that we can cohabit with less friction,” Snape added.

 

Harry shuffled in his seat. “Okay…”

 

“I will stop insulting you and your parentage,” Snape said. Harry had to hold back a snort - as if that would ever happen!

 

Snape noticed his reaction, pressed his lips together for a moment, and continued speaking. “If there is another altercation with Draco, I will not automatically take his side over yours, although I would appreciate you making more of an effort to be civil with him -”

 

“I never start things!” Harry protested hotly.

 

“Just - please?” Snape said wearily, running his hands over his face. That look of exhaustion made Harry stop with his scoffing and general derision for some odd reason he couldn’t quite put a finger on. “Now, my final two rules. If I do need to punish you for any reason, it will not be a, ah… physical punishment. I will not hit you, deprive you of meals or otherwise injure you as discipline. It will be nothing outside of the realm of what you would experience at Hogwarts, understood? Nothing worse than lines or cauldrons.”

 

Harry nodded while staring at the cracked kitchen tiles, unable to meet Snape’s eyes. He couldn’t bring himself to hope those words were the truth.

 

“Finally, I will listen and do my best to help when you open up about your relatives.”

 

“When?” Harry asked incredulously. “You’re delusional if you think I’m talking about any of that!”

 

“The more you tell me, the more likely it is that I am able to stop you from ever having to go back to that place,” Snape said quietly.

 

Harry bit his lip. The prospect of that did appeal to him…but it was a pipe dream at best, wasn’t it? No one was ever going to save Harry from the Dursleys. He had four more summers with them ahead of him, and then he’d finally be free and would never have to speak to them again. He’d already managed for ten years, and now he had Hogwarts as a disruptor. It was bearable enough, but it might not be if Harry engaged in a badly-executed attempt to remove himself from their custody before he was of age.

 

And, the most key and pressing issue, he would have to tell his troubles to Snape. 

 

“I can’t trust you!” he said incredulously. “You’ll just tell the Slytherins all about it all and use it against me, I know you will!”

 

Snape made a strangled sort of noise. “I understand we haven’t had the best of relationships, but do you really think I’d use child abuse against you?”

 

Harry cringed at that word - abuse. He wasn’t abused…

 

Snape seemed to take his silence as a confirmation and abruptly stood up from his chair and stalked over to the kitchen window. Raindrops splattered against the glass. Harry watched him nervously, unsure of what he was going to do next. Was he going to explode? Was he angry? He certainly didn’t seem happy, but Harry couldn’t try and read his face from here…

 

“I understand you cannot currently trust me, Harry,” Snape said eventually, voice tight, “but I need you to try. I promise that nothing you tell me will ever be mentioned to anyone outside of a few key adults who need to be apprised of your situation. Excluding that, I will not tell a single soul without your consent. I would never do that to you - never.” 

 

The amount of strength and vehemence in his tone sent Harry reeling with confusion. Despite the distrust and hatred that came to mind whenever he thought about Snape, it was just so transparently obvious that he really was being sincere. But why?

 

Harry suddenly remembered that brief, murmured comment from the previous night about Snape’s father. That, more than anything, helped Harry feel assured Snape was being honest. He’d told Harry something truly personal, something he’d never want Harry mentioning to another person, and that meant something.

 

“This will be the final part of the discussion,” Snape said, and Harry withered slightly inside. “You can go once we address it, if you’d like.”

 

“I really, really don’t want to talk about this,” Harry whispered, his voice ragged.

 

“It is important I know, Harry,” Snape said. Back to Harry, he supposed. Snape kept switching names, and it was horribly confusing. “I don’t want to pressure you, but there are some things I need to know immediately.”

 

“What does it matter?” he hissed. “I’m away from there, anyway! How is any of it relevant? How many times do I have to say I don’t want to tell you, Snape?!”

 

“It is not all about you!” Snape hissed. “Merlin’s beard, Potter! This constant, obstinate -”

 

He abruptly stopped speaking and inhaled very loudly through his nose, the angry expression on his face abruptly and unnaturally relaxing into the blank expression he'd described as Occlumency last night. Harry wondered how much effort that front took to keep up.

 

After a few moments, Snape began to speak again. “You have a cousin, correct?” He said in a tightly controlled voice. “I need to ensure there isn’t an immediate risk to his safety while he continues to reside with your aunt and uncle.”

 

“Oh, Dudley’s fine,” Harry grumbled. “They worship the ground he walks on, they’d never treat him the way they treat me. He's their actual kid. I’m the abnormal nephew they never wanted to get stuck with.”

 

A muscle twitched in Snape’s jaw. “Do not refer to yourself in that way.”

 

“It’s true,” Harry muttered, feeling the usual twinge of hurt that accompanied memories of the difference in treatment.

 

“Nevertheless, I still must insist we discuss certain things about your life with the Dursleys,” Snape said with a tone of finality. “Your perspective is skewed, and as an outsider to the situation I need to draw certain conclusions, which I can’t do if I don’t have all the relevant information.”

 

Harry exhaled loudly and gripped the edge of the kitchen table so hard his knuckles turned white. He really didn’t understand how he was expected to manage any of this.

 

“I am not going to needlessly probe you,” Snape said, walking back over from the counter and retaking his seat across from Harry. “You can open up about the rest in due time. We will stick to a few topics that are linked to immediate safety risks, understood? Just a few questions.”

 

Harry stared out of the window at the steadily intensifying drizzle and didn’t respond. Snape sighed. “First is the matter of your eating.”

 

“What about my eating?” Harry said through gritted teeth.

 

“The lack of it,” Snape said. “How did meals work at your relatives?”

 

“They worked.” He didn’t see how it was relevant to Snape either way how much or how little Harry was fed. He’d never actually dropped dead from hunger, even if it had felt like he would sometimes. He was just a bit skinny, that was all…

 

“Harry, there are two ways about this,” Snape said bluntly. “Your eating patterns are incredibly disordered. Either you are choosing not to eat due to some sort of untreated mental illness, or you were raised by people who did not feed you sufficiently, which has altered your hunger cues and affected your relationship with food. Tell me what’s going on so I can proceed accordingly.”

 

“Fine!” Harry hissed. “They’d punish me sometimes by taking away my meals. Happy?”

 

“And did they do this regularly?”

 

Harry thought of that long, lonely summer before second year when he’d been half-certain he and Hedwig would starve to death and didn’t respond. He stared at a nick on the kitchen table, heart thudding horribly.

 

“I’m presuming from what I read on my diagnostic spell that it was often enough to significantly impact your body weight, then,” Snape said briskly. “Correct me if I’m wrong.”

 

Harry didn’t say a word.

 

“Now, my other question,” Snape said in a softer voice. Harry, who sensed where this was going, tensed. “The injuries I discovered. Who was responsible, and how were they inflicted?”

 

“If you think I’m answering that you’re thicker than you look,” Harry growled. He was half-hoping his insult would steer the man away from the line of questioning. He had no such luck. Snape seemed immune to his goading.

 

“I need to know what happened. It’s for your safety.”

 

“If you need to know so badly, why don’t you just Legilimise me?” he said snidely.

 

“I will not use Legilimency on you,” Snape said, a hint of frustration seeping into his tone. “And I apologise for threatening you with it yesterday. The only time I would ever use Legilimency on you is if I believed there to be an immediate threat to your safety or the safety of someone else that I could only prevent by going through your memories. This is not such a situation, but I still need you to tell me who was hurting you at Privet Drive.”

 

Harry squeezed his hands into fists and raised his head to the ceiling, trying to persuade himself into speaking. Snape already knew someone was hurting him, right? If he could just screw up his courage and say who, the tosser would finally be done with all of his probing questions and Harry would be left in peace.

 

“Did your uncle do that to you?” Snape pressed. “Your aunt?”

 

“Most of it’s from my cousin, actually,” Harry said through gritted teeth.

 

“Your cousin managed to do all of that to you?” Snape asked disbelievingly.

 

“No, not all of it!” Harry shouted. “I still don’t get why it matters!”

 

“It does,” Snape said simply. “So - your cousin. Does he attack you regularly?”

 

“Well, he and I aren’t exactly best friends, professor,” Harry ground out.

 

“He hurts you?” Snape asked. “And your aunt and uncle, they allow this?”

 

“Well, sir, I’m sure you can answer that question yourself - you certainly have experience favouring one kid in your house over the other,” Harry said scornfully, crossing his arms.

 

Snape’s face didn’t even twitch. “The current situation with Draco will not be continuing. Now, these injuries. How did he give them to you? They’re rather significant.”

 

“You want the truth?” Harry said loudly, the aggravation surging. “Fine! Dudley loves beating me up, and I’m never allowed to fight back or I get in trouble. He punches me, he shoves me into stuff, and last week he shoved past me on the stairs, and I fell down them! That’s why I was in such a state."

 

Harry was being a bit economical with the truth there, admittedly. Shoved past implied something of an accident, and Dudley had more so just pushed Harry while he was halfway up so he tumbled all the way to the bottom of the staircase. He had then applied several sharp kicks to Harry’s ribs as he lay crumpled on the landing, gasping for breath, before slipping out of the door to beat up a ten-year-old in the local park.

 

Harry was still grateful he hadn’t broken something that day, since the few times in his life that Dudley had actually gone far enough to fracture or break bones, Aunt Petunia felt forced to take him to A&E for treatment. Harry had a theory that she only did that because broken bones made her squeamish, and she didn’t want that on display in the house.

 

Sometimes, Harry thought he’d prefer to be left with the injuries, though. Going to A&E meant spending an uncomfortable six or so hours in a stinking hospital waiting room with a woman who utterly despised him, all while she hissed threatening comments in Harry’s ear about what would happen if he dared mention that his broken finger was caused by Dudley slamming his hand in a door. That was why Harry only told his relatives about an ailment if he was in a real tight spot. He was fairly certain there had been a couple of fractured ribs caused by Dudley over the years, but he just got on with it and muscled through the pain.

 

After Harry’s rant, Snape’s expression had turned incredulous. “You fell down a staircase and your relatives didn’t take you to a doctor?”

 

“Did it look like they took me to a doctor?” Harry yelled, jumping to his feet. He’d been lucky that Aunt Petunia had thrown a bag of frozen peas in his direction after watching it happen! “They never want to admit that precious Dudley can do anything wrong, and I’m not stupid enough to go to them with my problems unless I’m really desperate!”

 

A dark expression crossed Snape’s face. “I did not realise you were also experiencing medical neglect there.”

 

Harry shuddered - if there was one thing he couldn’t stand, it was that word - neglect. It just reminded him of those awful mums at Dudley’s birthday party, whispering snide comments about brain damage and behavioural issues.

 

“I’m not experiencing anything!” he said furiously. “I’m not neglected, I’m not abused, none of that! We just don’t get on.”

 

“Tell me, then,” Snape said, lacing his fingers together. “If you weren’t neglected, give me examples of occasions where you were taken to any sort of healthcare professional.”

 

“I can, actually,” Harry said defiantly. “When I was seven, they took me to A&E after I fractured my wrist.”

 

That was the third time the Dursleys had bothered to take him to the hospital, but not from a bone Dudley had broken. That time Uncle Vernon had fractured his wrist, actually. He’d thrown Harry into his cupboard a little too hard and he’d landed awkwardly on it. But it had just been an accident. Aunt Petunia had frantically said that over and over when Harry wouldn’t stop crying, no matter how much she told him she’d give him something to cry about if he didn’t shut up. Aunt Petunia had quickly realised something was wrong, and it had panicked her. After all, Harry didn't normally dare to show signs of tears in front of his relatives, but the stabbing pain in his wrist had been too great for him to hold it in.

 

That had been a really weird day. Aunt Petunia had actually shouted at Uncle Vernon, who had quickly gone from puce to white when he realised what he’d done. Harry didn’t think he’d ever seen his uncle be that quiet. Aunt Petunia, on the other hand, was more noisy and shrill than ever. She’d been busy screeching about social workers and police and things that Harry was in too much pain to understand or remember properly. It had been six months since the teacher had called social services on his relatives, he realised now. That was why Aunt Petunia had hissed instructions at him from behind the steering wheel to say he’d fallen off the monkey bars at the playground. Harry assumed she was terrified this broken wrist would make them come back, and was desperate to do anything to stop that from happening, even if it involved being nice to Harry.

 

She’d promised to take him out for ice cream if Harry just did as she said and Harry, who was never allowed ice cream, had eagerly obeyed her. There was another horrid waiting period in a hospital waiting room, where Aunt Petunia had spent the entire time anxiously tapping her foot, glaring suspiciously at the other parents, and barking at Harry if he strayed away from her to touch the toys. The doctor had easily believed the lie and had splinted Harry’s fractured wrist. Aunt Petunia had never actually taken him out for ice cream - she dug up a freezer-burned, half-eaten tub Dudley wouldn’t touch out of the kitchen at home, which Harry clumsily fed to himself left-handed. He hadn’t cared. To Harry, it was ambrosia.

 

Now, Harry could see it for what it was - bribery. The Dursleys needed to ensure his continued silence. They hadn’t felt bad, they’d just been scared of being found out by the neighbours or social services for the people they really were behind closed doors. Harry had actually gone along with the lie because for once, his relatives were being nice to him. He didn’t have to do as many chores on account of his broken wrist, and his aunt and uncle didn’t lay a finger on him for months. They were too scared. That tended to happen when they went too far; it was as if they were struck by sudden fits of conscience. Aunt Petunia had even started distracting Dudley when he tried to beat Harry up, buying him toys and food. He’d thought that maybe, just maybe, things were finally getting better.

 

Harry wasn’t stupid enough to think good times like that lasted now. He was older, and so he knew better. The cast had come off, the memory of the night Uncle Vernon had hurt him grew fainter in his relatives’ minds, and he’d turned a teacher’s wig blue during a fit of accidental magic at school. The Dursleys had gone to normal pretty quickly after that, and it had almost been more painful than if they’d never stopped being horrid at all.

 

"Potter?"

 

Although Snape had promised not to Legilimise him, Harry couldn’t help his suspicions that Snape somehow knew the details of the incident, even though Harry hadn’t - couldn’t - mention them. Perhaps he’d plucked them from the surface of Harry’s mind. After all, he was scowling something fierce by now.

 

“Did they ever take you to a doctor for non-emergencies?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

It wasn't a lie. They'd taken Harry to the doctor once or twice. It was a bit of a rare occurrence, though. Most of the time, the Dursleys just left him to tough it out. Which was fine, although Dudley was taken to the GP over every little ache or sniffle. They actually cared about Dudley, though, so it was different.

 

They’d taken Harry along, too, when he and Dudley both had simultaneous ear infections when they were four. Harry shivered - another unpleasant memory. They’d been prescribed antibiotics. Aunt Petunia had sat with Dudley for ages until he took them, coaxing him with cuddles and sweets and toys.

 

When she was done, Aunt Petunia was tired and irritable. Then, it would be Harry’s turn. She would pin Harry down when he tried to run away and pinched his nose shut so he’d have to open his mouth for air and swallow the nasty-tasting medicine. Harry had been too small to fight back, of course. He'd laid there with silent tears trickling down his cheeks while Petunia growled at him about how whiny and ungrateful he was. He could still feel the ghost of her bony fingers clamped over his mouth, her acrylic nails digging into the flesh of his cheek.

 

“Give me an example of when they took you, then.”

 

Harry shook himself. He wasn't four years old now, too weak to break out of his aunt's hold. He was in Snape's kitchen. It was somehow hard to keep himself fixed there when such unpleasant memories were bombarding his mind. He took a deep breath. Snape needed an example so he’d let Harry go. Okay.

 

But the memory Harry had recalled was so horrid that he couldn't bring himself to give the example of the antibiotics. So, when else had Harry gone? Surely he had? The NHS was free, it wasn't like he was taking away money from Dudley by visiting the doctor…

 

But he hadn't gone. Petunia didn't bother unless it was something significant - something broken, something that repulsed her enough to take Harry to a doctor so she didn’t have to look at it anymore. Sickness didn’t qualify, since that only affected him. Harry had many memories of lying in his cupboard, coughing, barely able to breathe, sweltering with fever.

 

No, Aunt Petunia hadn’t bothered to waste her valuable time on Harry.

 

"They didn't take you, did they?" Snape said, lips pressed into a thin line.

 

“No, no, they did. Erm… I have glasses, don’t I?” Harry gestured to his face.

 

Well, it wasn’t exactly like Aunt Petunia or Uncle Vernon had been the ones to notice he couldn’t see. A teacher at school had realised Harry couldn’t read the blackboard and brought it up. Aunt Petunia had taken him to an optometrist and had bought the cheapest frames available, the ones Harry still had today. Piers Polkiss had called him four-eyes in front of the whole class, and everyone had laughed at him. That final, miserable memory drained the small reserves of patience Harry had been drawing on to get through this, and at last made him fly over the edge.

 

“What happened to a few questions?” he shouted, his voice oddly raspy. “You’re such a nosy git, you know that?! I’m done with this, I’m not talking about it anymore!”

 

Unable to bear being trapped indoors for another moment, Harry darted out of the kitchen, through the sliding door and into the garden beyond. He relished the sensation of the rain, which had now turned into quite the downpour. Harry let the cool water pour down his face, breathing hard like he’d just run a marathon. He was fuming. What right did Snape have to be poking into his personal life? Who was he to pull faces at Harry’s upbringing when he’d just spent the last two years making Harry’s life a living hell? He was a right bastard!

 

He’d said this would help. How was that true? All Harry wanted to do was lock his nasty memories of the Dursleys into a tiny box, push it deep down, and never think about any of it. Instead, he was stuck reminiscing about all these nasty memories from his crappy childhood and feeling awful about himself. Sure, the Dursleys were by no means nice to him, but they weren’t nearly as bad as Snape was making them out to be, right? They couldn’t be that bad, they just couldn’t. Harry couldn't accept it. He couldn’t handle understanding how awful it had all been.

 

The door to the garden loudly slid open. Harry turned around and saw Snape staring him down, obviously piqued. His nostrils were flaring. Snape pointed at the kitchen behind him with a sharp jabbing motion. “In.”

 

“I’m good, actually!” Harry called, struggling against the urge to make a rude hand gesture.

 

“Potter, it is pouring!” Snape said exasperatedly, waving a hand towards the grey sky. “You’ll catch your death of cold!”

 

“Great! I’d love that!” Harry said contemptuously.

 

“Get inside before I make you.”

 

Harry, who was still feeling too annoyed to go within a ten-foot radius of Snape, kept his feet firmly moored to the muddy grass. While he didn’t particularly want to be soaked with rainwater, he felt the need to prove this point.

 

Snape sighed loudly and jabbed his wand in Harry’s direction. He yelped as his feet seemed to leave the ground of their own accord, leaving him floating in the air. Moments later, Harry shot towards Snape and the kitchen with the speed of a bullet, before he came to an abrupt halt in the centre of the room. Harry made to run back outside, but Snape kept him floating in the air as he locked the door with a wave of wandless magic.

 

“Why do you insist on keeping me locked in your stupid house?” Harry demanded, trying and failing to look dignified. It was rather difficult to manage when you were floating in the air, he found.

 

“Because when you decided to leave my ‘stupid house’ you thought it would be fun to spend the rest of your summer with a case of pneumonia!” Snape hissed. He shot a hot jet of air at Harry, ruffling his hair and clothes, which turned warm and dry in an instant. “Somebody needs to keep your underdeveloped adolescent brain in check, since you are clearly incapable of doing so yourself!”

 

“You let me down right the hell now!” Harry yelled.

 

“If I do that, will you be rational and calm yourself down, or will you body slam yourself through my back door in an ill-fated attempt to get away from me?”

 

“I’ll be rational, whatever!” Harry’s feet finally touched the ground, causing him to stumble slightly. He was off-balance. Snape quickly placed a steadying hand on his shoulder. Harry wrenched himself out of reach and the man dropped his hand like he’d been burned.

 

“I understand you have had a trying day,” Snape said testily, “but you will stop with these ridiculous outbursts immediately.”

 

“Fine.” It wasn’t the sorry Snape was almost certainly looking for, but if Harry was forced to apologise properly right that minute he knew he’d completely go over the edge.

 

"As I am making a concentrated effort to be more civil with you, I think it's best if we leave things there for now," Snape said. His face had gone back to the smooth mask from the night before, but Harry could now recognise a slight tightness around his jaw which indicated his annoyance. "We can continue this conversation at a later time, when I am calmer and you are less upset."

 

"I'm not upset!" Harry shouted. Snape raised his eyebrows, and Harry felt his cheeks heat up. Okay, so maybe shouting that wasn't really proving his point. He took a deep, shuddering breath. "I just have a lot to get my head around. This is hard for me. But look, if you're worried about Dudley, don't be. He's fine there."

 

"From your description, I am willing to believe that," Snape conceded.

 

"Great. Can I go, then?"

 

"If you wish," Snape said, taking a step back. “As long as you don’t enter any of the restricted areas, that's fine. Your room is open to you again - Draco is in my lab and will stay there."

 

“Great. Bye.” Harry instantly began to stalk from the kitchen.

 

"Harry?"

 

Why did Snape using his first name always make him stop and listen?

 

"If you need anything, feel free to come and find me."

 

Harry curled his trembling hands into fists. "I don't need anything from the likes of you."

 

  I don't need anything from anyone. I've been taking care of myself for a long time.

 

But as Harry stormed up the stairs and into the empty bedroom, a small, fragile part of him almost wished he'd answered Snape differently.

To be continued...
Lessons in Cookery(and Other Matters) by aspionage

Harry was left alone for the rest of the morning, which certainly suited him. As promised, Malfoy did not come into their shared room, which left Harry alone to try and distract himself from all the memories of his crappy childhood that Snape’s stupid talk had brought up. There was a reason Harry didn’t talk about this stuff, even with Ron and Hermione; because it meant he had to think about it.

 

And Harry didn’t want to do that. So, instead he drew. It was the Quidditch pitch, this time, since Harry really missed flying. Drawing was all well and good, but he did really enjoy taking his broom out and soaring through the air. After a long summer without access to his Nimbus, Harry was even starting to miss Oliver Wood’s early morning Quidditch drills that he usually grumbled about.

 

Maybe he should take up jogging or something. Perhaps that would help with how antsy Harry felt. Unfortunately, that would involve leaving the house, which Harry really couldn’t do without permission since Snape was now tracking his every move. He certainly wasn’t going to ask Snape to let him, either, so he was pretty much stuck. Harry sighed and ran a finger across the coarse grooves of the runes carved into his tracker, feeling thoroughly miserable.

 

Harry spent the entire morning half-expecting Snape to burst into the room unannounced and declare another mandatory conversation that Harry was in no place to tolerate. He felt like his emotions had been rubbed red-raw by the events of the last twenty-four hours, which made every strong feeling painful and amplified. Harry didn't know how he'd react if he was told he had to talk about the Dursleys again, and that volatility scared him. He despised feeling so sensitive.

 

Luckily, Snape kept to his word and left Harry to his own devices. The only indicator Harry had that the other man was even in the house was the occasional open and shut of the door to his laboratory, which was often accompanied by the low-voiced murmuring of two individuals.

 

It was midday before there was at last a knock at Harry’s door, but it was only Snape summoning him down for lunch. Harry walked into the kitchen and came to a sudden halt, wrinkling his nose when he saw who was already waiting at the table.

 

“Well hello to you too, Potter,” Malfoy muttered, refusing to look at him.

 

“What are you doing here?” Harry asked, pulling a face.

 

“He is eating lunch, as are the two of us,” Snape said, abruptly coming up from behind Harry. “Well? Sit down, then.”

 

Harry did so, casting suspicious looks at Malfoy the whole time. He was still refusing to look at Harry, and wasn’t touching his food.

 

“Draco, I believe you have something to say,” Snape said, crossing his arms and eyeing Malfoy expectantly.

 

“I…I apologise for blackmailing you into doing my chores,” Malfoy said quietly, eyes fixed on his lap. Harry had to struggle to hold back a scoff. “And for framing you for stealing my mother’s necklace. Oh, and for punching you.”

 

Snape turned to Harry. “Do you have any sort of response?”

 

Harry wasn’t sure if Snape knew about him kicking and shoving Malfoy yesterday, but he certainly wasn't going to apologise for that. Malfoy had started it! Instead, he simply tutted. “Okay, then. You’re sorry? For a Slytherin, you’re a terrible liar, Malfoy.”

 

Malfoy slammed his fork to the table. “See, Severus? I told you it was pointless!”

 

“You are not entitled to an acceptance of your apology, Draco,” Snape said, giving him a piercing look.

 

“An apology he doesn’t even mean,” Harry muttered.

 

“And you ought to stop assuming you can sufficiently determine Draco’s sincerity,” Snape said sharply. “Given your fractious relationship, I highly doubt that you are an expert in his mannerisms.”

 

"Oh and you would definitely know when he's lying," Harry muttered, crossing his arms.

 

"Potter," Snape said, the warning clear in his voice. Harry sighed to himself but didn't say anything further. He could sense Snape was losing patience and didn't feel up to another lecture that day.

 

While he was eating, Harry noticed something strange - the overpowering, strong smell of vinegar lingering in the air. He frowned, since that wasn't in any of the food they were eating. He glanced to his left and realised that the smell had to be coming from Malfoy, oddly enough.

 

Malfoy noticed him watching. His fingers tightened around his cutlery. “And what fascinating thing has caught your eye, Potter?”

 

“Why do you smell like a fish and chips shop?”

 

Malfoy gave him a vaguely disgusted look and ignored Harry’s question.

 

“Draco has been pickling toad livers this morning,” Snape explained. Harry made a face. “He has been around a rather significant quantity of vinegar.”

 

“I knew it was going to stick to me, Severus!” Malfoy said irritably. “I told you it would!”

 

“And I believe you are familiar with the concept of showering and laundry?” Snape raised his eyebrows. “You’ll recover, I’m certain. At any rate, I do not design punishments to be pleasant, particularly punishments for nasty, bullying behaviour like that which you have been engaging in for this last week.”

 

Malfoy’s cheeks grew rather pink. He stared at his plate and didn’t meet either of their eyes. Harry tried not to look too visibly shocked that Snape had actually just called out Malfoy’s behaviour and returned to his food, mulling things over. So Snape was telling the truth - about Malfoy, at least. He genuinely wasn’t happy that Malfoy had been so horrid to Harry this past week…

 

After a couple of minutes, Harry realised that Snape was closely watching him while he ate. He scowled. “Can you stop staring at me? It’s creepy!”

 

“I’m sure it has not failed to come to your attention that this table is rather small,” Snape said, pointedly continuing to stare down Harry. “There are only so many directions in which I can look. It is also, I might add, good manners to look at the people you are eating and conversing with."

 

Malfoy scoffed. “Potter wouldn’t know good manners if they hit him over the head.”

 

“It shocks me how you fail to notice the rank hypocrisy in that statement when you yourself have exhibited appalling manners through your lack of respect and decorum while speaking with Mr Potter this past week,” Snape said waspishly. “And congratulations, Draco. On top of everything else you’re dealing with, you just earned yourself an earlier bedtime.”

 

"Oh, come on, Severus!" Malfoy snapped. "I'm not five!"

 

"Really? Your behaviour would suggest otherwise!" Snape said caustically. "Keep complaining and I can make it earlier, if you'd like?"

 

Malfoy sat back with a loud huff, clearly disgruntled. Harry stuck his tongue out at him, feeling rather smug. Snape saw this and let out a very loud, very long sigh. “I don’t know why I even bother. For my sake, will the two of you limit yourselves to silent glaring for the duration of this meal and cease with the other childish theatrics? I am beginning to think a prolonged stint under the Cruciatus Curse would be more bearable than this…”

 

They both nodded. Harry wasn’t entirely sure what the Cruciatus Curse was, but it certainly didn’t sound pleasant. Besides, he could make do with staring. In fact, Harry took it upon himself to make it his personal mission to give Malfoy the dirtiest looks he could possibly muster, which the other boy did his best to return. Snape looked like he wanted to throttle them both, but otherwise didn’t comment.

 

They dined in silence until the end of lunch, when Snape cleared his throat and banished the dishes to the kitchen sink with a wave of his wand. “Draco, you’re to clean those.”

 

“Oh, you’ve got to be joking!” Malfoy shouted, kicking his chair back. “You can do it easily with a spell! I understand I’m in trouble, but making me do house-elf work in addition to slaving away in your laboratory is just excessive!”

 

“Considering the fact that your rule-breaking consisted of blackmailing Harry into doing your previous punishment for you, I think it’s very apt,” Snape said calmly. “Washing a few dishes will not kill you.”

 

“It’s the principle of it!” Malfoy yelled, the volume of his voice reaching new heights. Harry nervously eyed the glass of water still sitting on the table and prayed Malfoy wouldn’t throw it.

 

Snape didn’t reply immediately. He reached into his pocket, pulled out a small vial of purple liquid, and walked over to Malfoy. Snape uncorked the vial and held it out to him. “Drink.”

 

“Shove off!” Malfoy snapped, turning his head away. “I don’t need any of your stupid Calming Draughts, I’m fine.”

 

“Nonetheless, you will drink it,” Snape said in a tone that beggared no argument. Malfoy shot Snape a withering glare and downed the Calming Draught in one gulp. Harry noticed the potion worked nearly instantly. The tension in Malfoy’s shoulders and the tightness in his jaw faded, and he stared at the floor, a faint pink flush staining his cheeks. He stormed over to the sink and started washing the dishes with more force and clatter than was strictly necessary, but didn't complain again.

 

“Er - what did you do to him?” Harry asked a little nervously.

 

“I gave him a quarter dose of a Calming Draught,” Snape explained.

 

Harry frowned. “You’re drugging him?”

 

“No, I am not drugging him!” Snape said exasperatedly. “While Draco works on long-term strategies to manage his self-control, we both came to the decision that it would be wiser to reign in his temper through potions when his anger gets too out of hand so he does not break anything else in my house.”

 

“You know, I don’t appreciate you going through all my personal issues with him, Severus,” Malfoy said, pausing his scrubbing to scowl at Harry.

 

“Considering you threw something at his head not one week ago, I think Mr Potter is entitled to know what we’re doing to deal with your little temper issue,” Snape said pointedly. Malfoy huffed and returned to pouring what Harry thought to be a rather excessive amount of washing up liquid onto a plate. He really didn’t know how to do any housework, did he? How odd…

 

"This is only a temporary measure,” Snape added. “It is not advisable to use Calming Draughts long-term to dull one's emotions, which is also why Draco is taking a lower dose. This method generally allows the drinker to take the edge off of powerful emotions so they can control themselves without fully dulling all feelings, which is what a regular dose would do."

 

Harry nodded. He vaguely remembered writing a Potions essay about the addictive nature of Calming Draughts, but all he could remember about it was that Hermione and Ron had gotten in an argument that day when Hermione wouldn't proofread his homework for him.

 

“What summer assignments are you working on today?” Snape asked. It was as if Harry’s thoughts about school had turned his teacher-mode on.

 

“I was going to take a stab at Astronomy,” Harry said.

 

Snape nodded. “Perhaps you should begin, then.”

 

Harry glanced out of the back door to the rainy sky above. This was the first day in a week he’d not done any gardening, and it felt strange. Almost itchy, Harry decided. The sensation of a guilty conscience.

 

“What’s happening with chores and stuff?” he decided to ask. “I didn't do my gardening this morning.”

 

“It’s predicted to rain for a fair few days, so none of that at the moment,” Snape said, waving his hand dismissively.

 

Harry frowned. "What housework do you want me to do instead, then?"

 

“I’ll work something out."

 

Malfoy looked up from the sink, his mouth hanging open slightly. “Why are you asking for housework, Potter? Are you mental?”

 

Harry made a rather rude hand gesture at him. Unfortunately, Snape noticed this. His eyes narrowed. “Do not let me catch you doing that again or I’ll have you writing lines until your hand cramps. Go do your homework.”

 

Harry nodded glumly and trudged up the stairs.

 


 

Harry sighed and put his quill to one side, finished with the essay. As he’d not wanted to be anywhere near Malfoy that afternoon, he had elected to do his Astronomy homework in his bedroom. Harry had a feeling that the Snape from before his runaway attempt would have forced Harry to do it downstairs anyway, but as things stood, Snape was practically tiptoeing around Harry. He was giving Harry far more free reign to do as he pleased with his time, it seemed. He’d become almost lax.

 

Well, except when it came to being polite to Malfoy.

 

God, Harry was furious with Malfoy. He’d had all afternoon to think about why, and had come to something of a realisation. He wasn’t necessarily angry about the punch, or the insults, or even the blackmail, really. That was typical Malfoy nastiness, and didn’t bother Harry all that much.

 

No, he thing that really incensed Harry about the whole situation was the fact that Malfoy had chosen to reveal the information he’d been blackmailing Harry with to Snape. After Harry had spent all week doing Malfoy’s chores for him and putting up with his horrid, nasty remarks, it had all been for nothing. Even though Malfoy’s blackmail had been tangentially related to the necklace at best, Malfoy had still snitched about the bruises to Snape! He’d probably done it for the sole purpose of getting Harry in trouble, too, not even realising the problems he was going to cause.

 

This whole situation was entirely Malfoy’s fault. If he’d kept his big mouth shut, Snape never would have found out about the bruises, or subsequently the Dursleys. Harry wouldn’t be stuck at Spinner’s End having his childhood and home life constantly dissected for the next two weeks if not for him. Everything would be normal, but now it wasn't and never would be again, and Harry hated Malfoy for it.

 

Harry exhaled loudly and banged his head against the desk. The other problem that was becoming increasingly more and more pressing was how bloody bored he was. It had been a solid week of hiding in this room at all hours so Malfoy and Snape wouldn’t remember he was there, and Harry was really running out of interesting things to do with himself. The rain outside wasn’t helping, either; Harry couldn’t even go out into the garden to find something else to do without Snape pitching a fit and levitating him inside.

 

Just so he wasn’t stuck staring at the same four walls for even more time, Harry decided to finally go downstairs into the kitchen for a change of scenery and to get a glass of water. Malfoy was conspicuously absent but Snape was inside, chopping vegetables. He looked up as Harry walked in.

 

“How are you finding your Astronomy homework?” he asked.

 

“Er - alright. I think it’s done.”

 

Harry got a glass out of the cupboard and went over to the tap to fill it, trying very hard not to think about how Snape’s relatively mundane question had made him feel. It was strangely parental, and for some reason immediately reminded Harry that the Dursleys couldn’t give a fig about how Harry was finding his homework, even when that homework hadn’t involved wand-waving and magic tricks.

 

“If it’s completed, bring it to me later to look over,” Snape instructed. Harry nodded, watching closely as Snape sliced a spring onion. He couldn’t help his twitching lips. Snape even cooked like a Potions Master! Harry had never seen someone cut vegetables with such surgical precision!

 

Snape noticed Harry’s amusement and his eyebrows contracted. “Do you have something to add?”

 

“That is a really weird way to cook,” Harry said with a snort.

 

“Really?” Snape drawled, putting the chopping board to one side to turn and look at him. “Does this come from your perspective as some sort of Michelin Star chef, Potter? What makes you such an expert?”

 

“I cook all the time, actually!” Harry said indignantly. Snape's constant implications that Harry would either cause severe food poisoning or a catastrophic explosion really irked him, especially since he most certainly did know his way around a kitchen.

 

“Indeed?” Snape picked up his wand from the countertop and waved it, causing another chopping board and knife to appear next to him. “Well, be my guest. Those peppers need to be diced.”

 

Harry almost refused automatically, but stopped himself at the last minute. He really was quite bored, so much so that even cooking with Snape sounded like a more appealing activity than just sitting in his room. Besides, Harry was feeling incredibly antsy. He hadn’t done any chores today, and he was worried if he didn’t do something, Snape would flip out over Harry being a lazy, good-for-nothing leech. So, instead of declining, he simply nodded and picked up the knife. He intentionally started dicing the pepper into noticeably uneven chunks, just to prove a point while next to Snape. He was watching Harry with his nose wrinkled.

 

“The subpar quality of the potions you turn in is beginning to make far more sense.”

 

“Well we’re not making a potion, are we?” Harry pointed out. “A stir fry isn’t going to explode if the spring onions are slightly different widths.”

 

“But a Befuddlement Beverage would,” Snape said.

 

"Which we aren't making!"

 

"Don't be so contrarian." Snape rolled his eyes. “At any rate, when you become used to preparing ingredients in a certain way, it becomes habit and leeches into other aspects of life.”

 

Harry supposed that made sense. Snape slid a second pepper over to him. “Dice this one as precisely as you can manage. Perhaps you can use this as an opportunity to hone your ingredient preparation skills for Potions next year without some of the external pressures of the laboratory.”

 

“Can’t you ever turn off being a teacher?” Harry said grumpily. He wasn’t entirely certain how he’d just been roped into an impromptu Potions lesson, but he wasn’t particularly happy about it.

 

“Consider it another habit that has seeped into other aspects of my life.” Snape raised an eyebrow. “Are you going to give it a go, or do you not think you can manage it? Is that why you’re protesting?”

 

“No, I can do it!”

 

Harry was never going to turn down an opportunity to prove Snape wrong, so he began to slowly dice the pepper, taking extra time and care to make sure each cube was equal in size. He obviously knew how to dice something properly, he just didn’t have the patience for it most of the time.

 

When he was finished, Snape looked the pepper over and nodded. "Those are very even. Well done."

 

Harry didn't know how to respond to that. Snape actually complimenting him, of all things, just felt so incredibly wrong. He just stood there, mouth hanging open stupidly, until he shook himself. "Well don't expect more of it. It's stupid to cook like that, it's inefficient."

 

"To each his own." Snape had stopped chopping and was watching Harry. "Where did you learn to cook, then? You speak as if you know what you're doing."

 

"I do know what I'm doing," Harry grumbled. There was a borderline insulting undertone to Snape’s words that Harry was itching to start an argument over, but he just about restrained himself. He’d spent the past twenty-four hours almost exclusively fighting with either Snape or Malfoy, and was honestly exhausted by the constant quarrelling. Maybe it would be easier to just let this one go.

 

"I've been cooking for years now, actually."

 

"Really?" Snape asked. "When did you begin?"

 

"When I was tall enough to reach the stove." Harry couldn't remember a specific age. He’d done excesses of chores at Privet Drive for as long as he could recall, and couldn’t pinpoint the year when washing up and cleaning had melded into preparing food.

 

"Did your aunt or uncle teach you?" Snape asked. He waved his wand, and three chicken breasts flew through the air and onto his chopping board.

 

"My aunt, and 'teach' is a strong word." Harry wrinkled his nose at the memories. Learning to cook had just consisted of a lot of shouting, oil burns, sharp knives that he couldn’t wield properly, and general misery at the hands of Aunt Petunia. "She goes by your teaching style in all the worst ways."

 

"I see."

 

Harry winced, realising he had just insulted Snape to his face. He prepared himself for some growled reprimand about respect, but no such scolding came. After a moment, Harry looked to his left and realised Snape had stopped chopping the chicken to watch him carefully. With an odd swooping sensation in his stomach that reminded Harry of missing a step on the stairs, he had the sudden realisation that he'd just let slip something about the Dursleys without even thinking about it. To Snape.

 

"Don't do that!" he snapped, defensiveness flaring up in him. Harry stared at the chopping board, his heartbeat uncomfortably rapid. Snape was a Slytherin at the end of the day. Harry should have expected him to use some kind of sneaky, underhanded methods to squeeze the information he'd wanted out of Harry. Now he was probably going to ask some horrid follow-up question, and Harry was almost certainly going to lose his temper again and shout at Snape, and then he'd have to spend the rest of the evening feeling even more emotionally wrung-out than he already did…

 

But to Harry's immense shock and relief, Snape didn't ask. He simply slid some garlic over to Harry and instructed him to mince it. Harry crushed the clove beneath his knife in something of a daze. Maybe Snape had suddenly learnt how to respect boundaries that afternoon.

 

Or Harry wasn't out of the woods yet, and the awkward, probing questions would drop at any minute. He needed to change the subject.

 

"So I'm confused," he began, staring at the chicken. "I’ve seen you use your wand for some things, like heating the stove or summoning the ingredients, but then you chop them by hand. Why not just use a spell for that, too? It would save loads of time."

 

Harry knew cooking spells existed. Mrs Weasley could make potatoes shed their skins untouched, or pots stir themselves, or beef mince itself. It was quite simple compared to some of the other magic he'd seen, but Harry still thought it was amazing, especially when he recalled the hours of preparation some of the meals he’d made could take back at Privet Drive.

 

Snape's lips thinned. "In all honesty? I find household Charms such as that rather difficult."

 

Harry's jaw dropped for the second time that evening. "You find magic difficult?"

 

Snape scowled. "Close your mouth, Potter, unless you're trying to catch flies?" Harry obeyed. "Don't act so surprised. The majority of witches and wizards are not Albus Dumbledore, you know! Everyone has an area of magic they struggle with, including myself. Watch. Poultry talis."

 

The chicken breast did not dice itself, which was what Snape must have intended. Instead, a few lines scored the surface of the skin in a grid shape, leaving a few chunks of slightly ragged chicken half-attached to each other. Snape gestured to it. "It is impractical for me to do things this way, especially when my proficiency with brewing means I can prepare ingredients by hand very efficiently."

 

"Huh." Harry frowned. "But wouldn't practising the spell actually help in the long run?"

 

He highly doubted that he could get out of extra homework for a tricky Transfiguration spell by saying to Professor McGonagall that turning beetles into buttons just wasn't his strong suit.

 

"No." Snape scowled as he began to correctly chop the chicken by hand. "Are you aware of the Muggle bias surrounding left-handed people, Potter?"

 

Harry nodded, unsure of how this linked. "Yeah. They used to force people to write the other way, did they? Because they thought being left-handed was a sign of the devil?"

 

"Indeed. Unfortunately, the wizarding world held some similarly unfounded beliefs in the early twentieth century, although this was more linked to the casting of spells than any religious factors."

 

As Snape spoke, he finished chopping the meat, picked up the chopping board, and headed over to the stove. He flicked his wand at the waiting pan, heating it instantly so the cubes of chicken sizzled as they hit the oil without much influence from the spluttering gas burner beneath.

 

“There was a false claim that the only natural and correct way to cast spells was using your right hand, despite much evidence to the contrary that many witches and wizards could perform magic of the same calibre with their left hand. Hogwarts consequentially enforced a regime of exclusively right-handed spellcasting for a fair few decades until it fell out of fashion, when people finally began to realise it significantly hampered one's magical ability to not cast with the correct wand arm.”

 

“Was that still happening while you were at school, then?” Harry asked.

 

Snape shook his head. “Hogwarts completely abandoned the practice in the early sixties. However, even though this school of thought was thoroughly disproven, a large sect of witches and wizards still had these views internalised to a degree when I was growing up, including my mother. As she was the one to teach me household Charms, she insisted on making me learn them with my right hand. I had no reason to refuse to follow her methods."

 

"And you can't get the magic to do it properly because it's not with your wand arm," Harry said, understanding dawning. "Couldn't you just teach yourself it left-handed now, though?"

 

Snape shook his head. "Once you learn a spell a certain way, it is extraordinarily difficult to change how you perform it. Imagine trying to fit a square peg through a round hole. It comes from a mixture of your wand disliking the change, depending on the core and wood, and a degree of mental blockage. It is honestly easier for me to do it with my opposing hand, even with the impaired quality of my spell outcomes."

 

The wand switching Harry had noticed earlier in the week now made a whole lot more sense. As he cast his mind back, Harry realised that all of the spells Snape cast with his opposite hand had actually been household-related ones.

 

"I can't believe they used to enforce that sort of thing!" Harry said indignantly. "There's probably a load of witches and wizards who got stuck not able to cast everything properly because they were lied to and told they were doing spells wrong! That's so bad!"

 

"I agree," Snape said, shaking his head. "Demetrius Diggle, the man responsible for the falsified research which contributed to the widespread misinformation, was eventually found out as a fraud, thankfully. He was fined thousands of galleons and essentially exiled from magical British society."

 

"Good riddance," Harry muttered.

 

"Indeed," Snape said, pursing his lips. “Go and set the table. This is almost ready."

 

As Harry placed the knives and forks down, he had a sudden, strange realisation. He'd just spent time with Snape…and it hadn't been entirely unbearable. At a push, Harry might even reluctantly admit that he'd enjoyed their conversation. That stuff about left-handed magic had been really interesting, and Snape had actually dropped the conversation about Aunt Petunia when Harry wanted him to.

 

So far, Harry had only experienced two extremes of Snape: angry, nasty Snape, and overly pushy, Dursley-obsessed Snape. Harry hated both these iterations, but this Snape who he'd cooked with? That man was possibly bearable.

 

Or he was lulling Harry into a false sense of security by pretending to be friendly so he'd slip up and tell Snape more stuff about his childhood. That certainly seemed like something Snape would do. He was incredibly manipulative, after all…

 

No, Harry couldn't let his guard down. He had to remember who he was dealing with here. It was Snape. The other shoe was going to drop eventually, and it would be all the more painful if Harry actually started changing his opinions on Snape only to realise how wrong he was. He had to remain vigilant.

 

As if the universe was reminding Harry of how careful he had to be at Spinner’s End, Malfoy flounced into the kitchen just as Snape was serving up the food. He immediately looked daggers at Harry, and Harry scowled right back. Snape pointedly ignored this behaviour, although he speared a piece of chicken on his fork with more force than strictly necessary as he sat down to eat.

 

“So, Draco,” he began. “How many lines have you completed?”

 

“A hundred and twenty,” Draco muttered. Harry looked closer at the other boy and noticed the edge of his hand was smudged black with ink.

 

“Reasonable progress,” Snape said.

 

“It would be more if you hadn’t assigned me a bloody paragraph!” Malfoy growled.

 

“I can make it longer, if you’d like?” Snape asked, his voice dangerous. Malfoy at last fell silent, but he continued to glare at Harry like he was personally responsible for the lines he’d been set, which Harry didn’t think was entirely fair. Malfoy was the one who had utterly wrecked Harry’s life, after all. He had no right to act like he was hard done by!

 

Dinner was a silent affair after that, as Harry and Malfoy had something of a staring contest from their opposite ends of the table. In fact, Harry was so laser-focused on matching Malfoy’s withering glower that he actually ended up missing the food on his plate with his fork multiple times because he wasn't paying attention to what he was doing. He could see Snape out of the corner of his eye, pressing his lips into a thin white line like he was barely biting back an insult.

 

Because he thinks you’re some pathetic, half-starved little orphan, an annoying little voice in the back of Harry’s head reminded him. He’s too obsessed with you eating to say anything.

 

His shoulders tensed. If there was one thing Harry couldn’t stand, it was pity. It wasn’t like Harry was going to drop dead because he’d missed a few meals in his time! He wasn’t some fragile little creature that Snape needed to tiptoe around, he just wasn’t. While Harry didn’t exactly like when Snape was horrid and mean to him, the knowledge that the changes in his behaviour were because of what he knew about the Dursleys made Harry shrivel up a little inside for reasons he couldn’t quite put his finger on.

 

Malfoy finished eating before Harry did and hurried away upstairs, presumably to do more lines, judging by his general huffiness. Harry went to leave as well, feeling vaguely irritated, but stopped in the doorway when Snape cleared his throat.

 

“Do you remember what I told you,” he said, “about Demetrius Diggle’s falsified research into left-handed wizardry?”

 

“Yeah?” Harry turned around to face him.

 

“Why do you think people would believe him in the first place?” Snape asked, steepling his fingers.

 

Harry frowned, thinking hard about both the question and why Snape was asking him this. “Um… well, I’m guessing it was some sort of official-seeming research?” Snape nodded. “Right, then that means they’d think it was true. I mean, it’s not like they’d have any reason to think Diggle was lying?”

 

“Indeed,” Snape said. “And the myth persevered amongst a large portion of the British wizarding population, even after his fraudulent data collection methods had been exposed. Why do you think that is?”

 

“Er… I guess once people believe a certain thing, they find it hard to change their minds about something,” Harry said slowly.

 

“Correct,” Snape said with a nod. “Now, this long-lasting misconception came from just one misleading study. Imagine, I suggest, what the wider magical community would think if there were dozens upon dozens of researchers claiming that casting left-handed was an inferior method of sorcery. How difficult do you think it would be to convince a group of people that these facts, which they had internalised into their belief systems, were completely unfounded and they needed to change their minds immediately?"

 

“Pretty hard,” Harry said, furrowing his eyebrows.

 

“Now, change left-handed spellcasting into Muggleborn magical ability,” Snape said. “Imagine going through life being presented with what appears to be very valid, rigorous research telling you a group of people are inherently magically inferior -”

 

“Muggleborns are not magically inferior!” Harry shouted, anger surging in him. “Don’t be stupid! I know you don’t like her, but Hermione alone completely proves that’s a lie -”

 

“Will you let me finish before you start yelling at me, Potter?” Snape’s voice wasn’t loud, but it cut across Harry’s shouts. He fell into mutinous silence. “If you’d bothered to listen to me more carefully, you’ll recall I stated that this research appeared to be valid, not that it actually was.”

 

“Oh.” Harry stared at his shoes, feeling his cheeks heat up.

 

“Now, the majority of magical Britain had no way of knowing this research into Muggleborn and half-blood magical ability was invalid, you know,” Snape said, mercifully overlooking Harry's outburst of temper. “In fact, the researchers and academics producing these reports were generally quite renowned scientific figures, who were not yet known to be Death Eaters with biases that were leaching into their research. The idea that Muggleborn blood was not as magically concentrated as that of pureblooded wizards became a rather ingrained ideology amongst certain groups of the population over the last few decades, particularly in the run up to the war. Even though all of these studies have now been disproven, the seed has still been planted in many pureblood minds.”

 

“I still don’t think that’s an excuse for people to be so nasty to Muggleborns today,” Harry muttered. “It’s not true, so Muggleborns should be treated equally!”

 

“No, I quite agree,” Snape said, “but my point here is that some people quite genuinely do not know any better. Take Draco, for example.” Harry screwed up his face. “He did not get this way on his own, you realise? Imagine you have spent your entire life being told that Muggleborns are inferior to you in every way. Imagine hearing that they are stealing a place in a world that rightfully belongs to you, and that they are less powerful in every conceivable manner. Then, imagine being told you have to completely change these worldviews overnight. He is currently deconstructing beliefs that are ingrained into every corner of his psyche, and that does take time.”

 

“Is he really?” Harry asked sceptically. Malfoy seemed like just as much of a nasty bigot today as he had been since first year.

 

“Yes, he is,” Snape said firmly. “I am making sure of it. Finding out that everything you stand for is a complete sham can come as something of a shock to the system, though. Draco is obviously rather defensive, but he is starting to reconsider what he’s grown up being told.”

 

Harry scoffed. “I get what you’re trying to do, but I’m not going to feel sorry for Malfoy. I just won’t. I don’t have to be nice to him, especially when he goes out of his way to be nasty to me for no reason.”

 

“No reason?” Snape arched an eyebrow. “I recall you calling him an ‘inbred git’ at some point.”

 

“He started it!”

 

Snape sighed very loudly. “I am simply suggesting that it might do for you to reconsider the constant exchange of vitriol. I am working to help Draco improve his ways, but it might make all our lives a bit easier if you weren’t both so focused on constantly aggravating each other. Perhaps try to give him a little bit of grace while you continue to reside here?”

 

“It shouldn’t be my responsibility to do that, though!” Harry protested.

 

“No, and it is not your exclusive responsibility,” Snape said tersely, “but wouldn’t you rather put an end to the contentious relationship between yourself and Draco in the long-term by making a few sacrifices in the short term? I am simply wondering if you can find it in yourself to extend an olive branch for both your sakes.”

 

“I’m just not convinced he’s actually going to change,” Harry said, feeling a bit exasperated. “I’m still not convinced he’s sorry about any of the stuff he did, either.”

 

“Draco is more sorry than you are able to understand,” Snape said quietly. “As I mentioned, he tends to put up quite a defensive front about these sorts of things, especially with you. In private, he is quite remorseful for his behaviour.”

 

Harry shook his head dismissively, and Snape sighed again. “There are things you don’t know about Draco that I do know, which is why I am so assured of his sincerity. I might add, Harry, that there were many things I did not know about you that caused me to behave towards you in a way that was not entirely fair. Do not make the same mistakes that I did with you and presume something about another person without knowing the full picture.”

 

Harry’s hands clenched. “I am nothing like you,” he growled, “and I’m getting pretty sick of you trying to convince me how nice Draco is.”

 

He stormed out without another word, fuming. Harry didn’t need the full intricacies of Malfoy’s life to get a good read on him! All he needed to know was that Malfoy was a horrid little bully who called Hermione awful names and wouldn’t give Harry the time of day if their roles were reversed. He wasn’t worth the effort.

 

Snape didn’t come after Harry as he hid himself away in the bedroom, but annoyingly enough, his voice was still whispering away in the back of Harry’s mind. After all, he had made a very good point - Malfoy really must have spent his entire life being told terrible things about Muggleborns. Harry had had the unfortunate opportunity to meet Lucius Malfoy on a few occasions now, and could admit the man was far nastier than even his son. Draco really didn’t know better, did he? Not with a man like that for a father. Somehow, Harry had never really thought about Malfoy’s behaviour from that perspective…

 

But even though Malfoy couldn’t help it, Harry was still angry. It shouldn’t be his responsibility to do anything to help that prat.

 

A little voice in the back of Harry’s head still quietly argued that maybe, just maybe, he should try and help anyway. He didn’t have to like Malfoy to want him to change for the better. And if Harry was somehow able to help, maybe he should…

 

But it was hard to think that way when the residual anger about everything from the past two years and especially the past two weeks was still rammed in the forefront of Harry’s mind. No, he decided, Harry was not going to forgive Malfoy.

 

Not even when late that night, while Harry was struggling to sleep, Malfoy sat up and whispered, “I did mean it, Potter.”

 

Harry ignored him, but Malfoy continued to speak. “It’s just - it’s hard, in front of Severus, but… I am really sorry. I shouldn’t have done any of that. I just get so angry sometimes…” He sighed mournfully. “Severus said… look, if I’d known those bruises weren’t caused by whatever biking was - that it was something actually serious, whatever it is that hurt you, I mean, then…”

 

And with those words, Harry hardened his heart. “Just shut up, Malfoy.”

 

He had ruined Harry’s life by telling Snape about those bruises, and Harry was never, ever going to forgive him for it. It didn’t matter that Malfoy apparently hadn’t even known what biking was, or that he still didn’t seem to realise what was behind the injuries. He’d still told, and Harry was furious.

 

“Fine,” Malfoy snapped. “Be that way.”

 

Harry heard the rustling of the covers as the other boy turned over, leaving Harry alone in irritated silence, trying not to wonder if he should have answered differently.

To be continued...
A Pendulum Swing by aspionage

The next morning, it was as if Harry’s fury had coalesced into a low-burning, dangerous outrage. He wasn’t sure how much Malfoy either knew or had figured out about Harry’s childhood, but he certainly knew something was off. Harry had to be angry because if he wasn’t, he’d just be scared out of his wits that Malfoy was so dangerously close to learning his darkest secret.

 

While Harry was steadily growing more confident that Snape wasn’t going to tell anyone about the Dursleys - or, at the very least, that he intended to keep things quiet - Harry absolutely did not believe for a second that Malfoy would behave with any sort of discretion. Harry could already hear Malfoy describing the bruises in a drawling voice: “Can’t even defend yourself from a bunch of Muggles, Potter? You really are a pathetic wizard.” Pansy Parkinson’s shrieking cackles would rise above the laughing Slytherins, and Harry would never be able to show his face at Hogwarts again.

 

So yes, Harry was livid. If that meant he elbowed Malfoy so roughly out of the way on his journey to the loo that he stumbled into the wall, then so be it. Or if it meant Harry ‘accidentally’ trod on his foot with as much force as he could muster as they sat down for breakfast, Harry rather thought he should be forgiven.

 

Malfoy, who never avoided an opportunity to grass someone up, especially Harry, shockingly didn’t say anything. He only let out a small squeak of pain. That surprised Harry, especially since Snape was right there and ready to swoop in and take Malfoy’s side, like he was so fond of doing. Why wasn’t he kicking up some sort of fuss?

 

Harry didn’t know, and not knowing made him even angrier. He didn’t know what was wrong with him today, but it felt like the slightest provocation would make him absolutely explode. In fact, he was so consumed by his wrath that all the conversation turned to buzzing in his ears, so he didn’t even notice that Snape was trying to speak to him until he felt the man tap him on the shoulder. Harry was so out of focus that he cringed away from the contact before he had time to think about what he was doing. That display of utter weakness, of pathetic fear and vulnerability, just vexed him further. He wanted to slap someone - preferably Malfoy…

 

“What did you say?” he managed.

 

“I said to wait down here for a moment while I establish Draco upstairs.” Snape’s jaw was tense. Harry hoped he didn’t think that Harry had been intentionally ignoring him. It just felt impossible to even think clearly at the moment, let alone listen. “We need to talk.”

 

Harry was glad that he’d already finished eating, since his stomach contracted uncomfortably at that idea. While Snape escorted Malfoy away, he was left to ponder what this talk could be about. It wasn’t too difficult of a question, though. Harry had a pretty good idea - it was time for his daily interrogation about the Dursleys.

 

And unfortunately, he was right. Snape sat down opposite to Harry and fixed him with that awful, piercing look of focus. “Now, Harry.”

 

First names again. It was always 'Harry' when it came to the stupid Dursleys, wasn’t it? Then right back to Potter when Snape didn't want something. The manipulativeness of the man sitting before him only served to worsen Harry’s foul mood.

 

“I would like to continue our discussion from yesterday morning, if you would.”

 

“I wouldn’t like to, actually,” he bit out.

 

Snape exhaled loudly. “I told you yesterday morning that we would be continuing it, and I am a man of my word.”

 

“Don’t care, don’t want to talk, leave me alone,” Harry muttered, glowering at Snape. The man was beginning to look just as frustrated as Harry felt.

 

“Burying all of your feelings will do you no good, you know.”

 

“Oh yeah?” Harry challenged. “Well it’s been working perfectly nicely for me for the last twelve or so years, so I think I know what I’m doing better than you, Snape.”

 

“As the adult in this situation with far more knowledge about emotional regulation and mental health, I would argue that I do, in fact, know what I’m doing here,” Snape said sharply. “I can see firsthand what effect your relatives’ treatment has had on you, which is why it would be wise for you to unload some of it.”

 

“You don’t see anything about me!” Harry shouted. That had to be some kind of record - he’d not even managed five minutes before flipping out this time. “You don’t know anything about my mind, and you certainly don’t know shit about the Dursleys!”

 

“Language,” Snape growled, “and perhaps I would know more about the Dursleys if you cared to enlighten me further about their treatment of you?”

 

“NO!” Harry yelled. “I actually don’t care to! I’m not telling you, I’m not telling anyone, so you can just leave me alone about everything already!”

 

Harry sprang to his feet, and without touching it, the chair he had been sitting in exploded backwards and hit the back wall with a noisy bang. Instantly, the rage building up in his chest turned to icy dread. More accidental magic. Why did that keep happening? He was supposed to have better control over his emotions at this age!

 

He dared to look at Snape, whose mouth was pressed into a thin, white line. Oh God, he was pissed. Furious, really. All of that stuff he’d said yesterday was definitely about to go out of the window, he was going to completely snap, and Harry didn’t want to be there when it happened so, paying no mind to Snape’s orders for him to stay and talk, he fled the room, heart thudding.

 

To his immense relief, the bedroom was empty. Harry, who was feeling rather lightheaded after the accidental magic, sank to the floor and leaned his head against the bed, chest almost painfully tight. Privet Drive was a horrible place, but at the very least, he knew where he stood there. Harry was perfectly aware of what Uncle Vernon would do to him for accidental magic of that kind. Snape was an unknown entity, and Harry didn’t like those.

 

Five minutes passed, and then ten. Snape did not appear. Harry remained on the floor, counting the nicks in the wooden boards, heart thudding. By the time his bedroom door actually swung open, some of the fear from his outburst had faded slightly, although it all came flooding back when he took in Snape’s dark, irritated features.

 

“You are not in trouble,” Snape intoned. Harry didn’t believe that for one second, but he nodded anyway, feeling rather numb. Snape stared at him in silence for several moments before raising a hand. A moment later, a large glass of water sailed into it, which he handed to Harry. “Drink.”

 

Harry stared at the glass in his hand but hesitated before raising it to his lips. Was this Snape's way of punishing him? Some kind of colourless poison?

 

Snape somehow picked up on the track Harry's thoughts were going down and scowled. "If I was trying to poison you, this isn't how I'd go about it. That is just water. Drink it all."

 

Harry wasn't sure if sort of threatening to poison someone more subtly in future was the best method of coaxing another person into drinking something they'd just handed to you, but it somehow worked. Harry began to sip the water without further complaint, and if there was something hidden in it, Harry certainly couldn't taste it. It was difficult to drink all of it through his ragged breathing, but by the time he finished drinking it, his breathing had actually slowed and his heart was beating more gently.

 

Did you put a potion in that or something?” Harry asked, setting the glass to one side. It was shocking how well that had worked in making him relax.

 

“No,” Snape said. “That was plain water. Cold is effective at slowing the heart rate and calming the nervous system, and drinking it rapidly as you just did helps to regulate breathing."

 

That was a bit interesting, Harry thought, but he couldn't think about it too much because he was still so worried about the consequences of shouting at Snape downstairs. It was a far cry from the all-consuming anger he'd woken up with. In fact, he felt a bit like a startled deer, ready to bolt at any moment. A large change, certainly…

 

At the minute, Harry felt a little bit like an emotional yo-yo, constantly swinging between sizzling outrage and sickening fear, or even both at the same time if things were particularly bad. He wasn’t normally so volatile, and he absolutely hated feeling that way.

 

Snape, who was turning out to be far more perceptive than Harry had ever given him credit for, picked up on his badly-hidden anxiousness. He moved from the doorway and sat down next to Harry on the ground, which completely shocked him. That wasn't particularly Snape-like! What on earth was he doing?

 

Still, the lack of a dark, irritated figure looming over him helped relieve some of the lingering tension in Harry's chest, as did the shock of seeing Snape lower himself in such a way. It almost made Harry feel as though they were on even footing.

 

"Are you alright?" Snape asked finally.

 

The question was so odd that Harry couldn't help but indulge in a hoarse chuckle. "Does it look like it? No."

 

"That is… reasonable, given your situation," Snape said slowly. His eyebrows were creased into a look of bemusement.

 

Harry simply shrugged and went back to staring at the floorboards. Snape continued to stare at him, while Harry ignored him. Silence fell over the room.

 

After a long, awkward pause, Snape sighed loudly. "Harry, has it ever occurred to you that I am just as unsure about how to proceed under these new circumstances as you surely are?"

 

That got Harry's attention. He looked up, shocked. Snape, unsure? He always seemed so…controlled. Knowledgeable, even. But no, Snape just looked visibly frustrated at the moment.

 

"You need to talk about this with someone," Snape said, words punctuated with sharp hand gestures, "but I can't take you to someone else because of your position in the wizarding world. You are vehemently opposed to talking to me. I cannot and will not use Legilimency or Veritaserum on you, as this needs to come naturally. I also sense that bombarding you with questions is not the right course of action to take."

 

You've got that right, Harry thought grumpily.

 

“I don’t know what to do with you!” Snape hissed.

 

“I don’t know what to do with me, either,” Harry admitted reluctantly, crossing his arms and staring anywhere but at Snape’s face. “I just don’t think about it. It works well enough.”

 

“It doesn’t, as a matter of fact,” Snape said tersely. “Take the small instance of accidental magic you had in the kitchen, as well as the one from yesterday. You bottling up your emotions is directly contributing to you losing control over your magic."

 

Harry bit down on the inside of his cheek. "Sorry, I didn't mean to -"

 

"I know you didn't mean to!" Snape said, his voice a low growl. Harry jolted away, and Snape visibly tried to school his features. "I've already told you that you are not and will not be in trouble for instances of accidental magic, even if you blew out every single window in my house."

 

"But what if I hurt someone again?" Harry asked, not meeting Snape’s eyes. "Like Aunt Marge?"

 

"You didn't technically hurt your aunt in the first place," Snape said. "You merely inflated her. However, if you were to hurt someone with accidental magic, it would in all likelihood be self-defence as your magic responded to a perceived threat. We might discuss it, but you will not be punished."

 

Harry swallowed, hard. Right. Snape was a wizard. It made sense that another wizard wouldn’t find accidental magic weird and abnormal. Harry knew this logically, but he had a hard time getting himself to believe it.

 

Snape was watching him closely again, his gaze piercing. "If you are so deeply concerned about this accidental magic, though, perhaps it would be advisable to discuss your experience with the Dursleys instead of shoving it down so it all bursts out at inopportune moments."

 

Even though this was coming from Snape, who Harry didn’t want to take any advice from on principle, he couldn’t help but reluctantly accept that he was making a good point there. The idea of continually losing control of his magic was utterly repellant to him, and Harry was desperate to just make it stop. He was pretty sure he’d take on just about any plausible advice, even if it came from a man he hated.

 

Still, there was one issue.

 

"I just don't know how to talk about it," Harry mumbled, picking at a loose thread in his jeans. “I know logically that I should, probably, but when you’re actually there asking, I can’t.”

 

"That much is clear," Snape said with a shake of his head. "And bombarding you with questions isn't working, either, so I propose more of a two-way conversation. I can ask you questions, and you can similarly ask me what you'd like."

 

"That just seems like a slower way of interrogating me about the Dursleys," Harry grumbled.

 

"I do not mean we only discuss your relatives," Snape corrected. "There are other things we could talk about, so we may begin to…get to know one another better.”

 

“...Okay?”

 

Snape seemed to think hard for a moment. “Do you have a favourite colour?"

 

“Sorry, what?”

 

“I don’t understand how that’s a particularly difficult question to answer,” Snape retorted sharply. “So?”

 

The question was so jarringly mundane that it took Harry a decent moment to cobble together an answer. "Um. Red?”

 

Snape's lips twitched slightly. "Ever the Gryffindor, I see. I should have expected as much."

 

"It's not just because of Gryffindor!" Harry protested. "I've liked red since before I knew about the Hogwarts houses, actually."

 

"Very well," Snape said, inclining his head. After a moment's silence, he added, "Now, is there anything you wish to ask me?”

 

"Er…" Harry ripped the loose thread in his trousers free. "I don't know. I don't think I can just sit here and chat with you, sir. It's properly weird."

 

"Perhaps it would be easier if we were engaged in another activity while we spoke?" Snape suggested. "You seemed to find it easier to speak to me last night while we were cooking."

 

"Yeah, it was better,” Harry agreed. “That might be alright. Are we going to cook again or something?"

 

"No, I have something else in mind." Snape waved his wand. Moments later, a small wooden box flew through the air and into Snape's hand. He got to his feet, placed the box down on the desk crammed in between Harry and Malfoy's beds, and lifted the lid. Inside the box was an old, faded chessboard.

 

"You know how to play chess, I presume?"

 

"Yeah," Harry said. "I'm terrible at it, though. Ron always beats me."

 

"Constantly disparaging yourself and your abilities is not what I would consider to be a great exhibition of self-preservation," Snape remarked, setting out the chess pieces. "Much of the world will already take it upon themselves to tear you and your abilities down. You would do well to not give your enemies weapons."

 

"Oh. Sorry?" Harry couldn't be entirely certain, but he thought that was Snape's way of telling him to…have confidence? How odd.

 

"At any rate, comparing yourself to young Mr Weasley is not a fair measurement of your own chess ability," Snape continued. "After all, he defeated Professor McGonagall's enchanted chess set when he was just a first-year, a feat many grown wizards would struggle with. That requires a degree of talent."

 

Harry's jaw dropped. "You did not just compliment Ron!"

 

Snape's gaze remained steady. "I can look at things objectively, you know. Through that lens it is impossible to overlook the bald facts of Mr Weasley's chess ability."

 

I really have gone through the looking glass, Harry thought blankly. A world where Snape was not taking every opportunity to insult Harry and his friends was not a world he was used to living in. It was almost impossible to reconcile with reality.

 

But if Snape just kept up this strange, new, polite demeanour, maybe a chess game with him would be…bearable. Spinner's End did get rather boring, and it was something to do. Besides, there was still half of August left before Harry got back to Hogwarts. Maybe if Snape didn’t hate him so much, that time would be a bit less rife with tension. Perhaps a game of chess was the first step towards civility. It was like Snape had said; he didn’t know how to navigate these new circumstances, either. Harry had to give a little back, and maybe he could start here.

 

"This is only a Muggle set, but if you enjoy it, I’ll dig out my Wizard’s chess," Snape said, taking a seat at the desk. “Do you want black or white?”

 

"I don't mind," Harry said, rising from the floor and perching on the edge of his bed so he could better access the chessboard.

 

"I'll take white, then," Snape said, giving Harry a slightly disdainful look. "There is nothing noble about turning down a basic advantage. You've just lost an opportunity by giving me the first move."

 

"Oh, just play already," Harry snapped.

 

He couldn't help but be shocked that Snape remained composed - in fact, his face didn't so much as twitch as he reached out and slid a pawn forward on the board. That was strange, too. The Snape Harry knew would have immediately barked out a sharp reprimand about his tone. He'd been like this ever since he'd found out about the Dursleys. Harry hadn't known Snape was capable of such scrupulous self-control.

 

He didn't like it. 

 

"Is this whole game just going to be you trying to turn me into a Slytherin or something?" Harry asked eventually, shuffling a piece forwards.

 

"Do you consider notes about basic self-preservation to be Slytherin?" Snape countered.

 

"I don't know. Maybe."

 

"Forgive me. I was labouring under the misapprehension that self-preservation was a basic instinct possessed by all humans," Snape said dryly. "I forgot I was talking to the boy who took it upon himself to slay a Basilisk at twelve unaided."

 

"Unaided? I went and got Lockhart!" Harry protested angrily. "Seeing as he was the Defence Against The Dark Arts professor I sort of assumed he'd be qualified to deal with the problem!"

 

"You attended the duelling club, as I recall," Snape said contemptuously. "You personally witnessed how Gilderoy was incapable of blocking a simple Disarming Charm. Qualified indeed…"

 

Harry couldn't help but admit that Snape unfortunately had something of a point. Lockhart had been extraordinarily useless.

 

"I don't just run headlong into dangerous situations," he still insisted. "I've always tried to get someone, but no one ever listens to me!"

 

"Very well," Snape conceded. Harry couldn't help but get the general impression that Snape didn't quite agree with that statement, but since he hadn't outright called Harry an idiotic Gryffindor with a penchant for getting himself into trouble, he decided to just let it drop and focus on the chess.

 

"Remember, you are free to ask me questions if you wish?" Snape prompted.

 

"Right." Harry did his best to rack his brains for a really interesting question, but of course came up blank. In the end, he settled for asking, "So what's your favourite colour, then?"

 

"Blue," Snape said immediately.

 

"Really?" Harry asked. "But you're always in black! I'd have thought that was your favourite!"

 

Snape's eyebrows rose. "You mentioned your favourite colour was red. I do not see you wearing it constantly."

 

"Hmph. True." It was still a slightly strange idea for Harry to reconcile himself to.

 

"Now, time for my question." Harry dug his nails into his palms, dread coiling in his stomach. Here came a new interrogation about the Dursleys…

 

"Why is it that you and Draco despise each other so intensely?"

 

"Huh?" Harry didn't know what he'd been expecting, but it certainly wasn't that.

 

"I've asked Draco, but he is extraordinarily reluctant to give me a satisfactory answer," Snape continued. "I thought you might be more inclined to explain."

 

"Oh. Well, he was actually one of the first wizards I ever met," Harry said, casting his mind back to his eleventh birthday. "We were getting our robes fitted at the same time and he was just being kind of stuck-up, and he kept saying all these rude things about Muggleborns, and Hagrid, and it put me off. Then, he came up to me and Ron on the train and was nasty to him, and then he told me he wanted to be my friend. He said he could help me avoid "the wrong sort' or something. I quite liked Ron by that point so I turned Malfoy down. He's hated me ever since."

 

"I see." Harry couldn't help but think Snape sounded a tad surprised by his story. "And you had developed a bond with young Mr Weasley so quickly?"

 

"Yeah," Harry said. "His family helped me get through the barrier at King's Cross. I couldn't find it."

 

"No one told you how to get through the barrier?" Snape's surprise was far more obvious that time.

 

"Nope," Harry said glumly. "Hagrid forgot to tell me how, and my aunt and uncle obviously weren't going to help me. I was fending for myself until I spotted the Weasleys."

 

Harry still remembered the dying echoes of the Dursleys' laughter carrying over the breeze as the car had screeched away following Vernon's snide comment about platform nine-and-three-quarters not existing. He could still feel that terror he had felt at eleven, standing in the middle of King's Cross with a trunk, a birdcage and the overwhelming certainty that this had all been a huge mistake and he was now stuck in central London with no way to get home.

 

Harry abruptly came back to himself and realised Snape was scrutinising him closely. Harry had mentioned the Dursleys, all without even meaning to.

 

"Hey, you said we would both be asking questions, but you've just asked me like three in a row and I've not asked you anything," Harry said, feeling a little defensive.

 

"I was not aware this little chat had such strict rules," Snape commented. "Go on, then. Ask me something."

 

"Alright, then," Harry said, leaning his elbows on his knees. "Why is Malfoy staying with you?"

 

"I believe this is a conversation about the two of us, not Draco," Snape said sharply.

 

I was not aware this little chat had such strict rules," Harry said, doing his best to mimic Snape's ironic, deep tones. He expected some sort of reprimand for it but to his shock, Snape made an odd noise that sounded like a suppressed chuckle.

 

"Besides," Harry continued, "you just asked me a question to do with Malfoy!"

 

"I believe I asked you about Draco in the context of his relationship with you, which means it's relevant to the matter at hand," Snape said.

 

"And I asked about Malfoy in context of his relationship with you," Harry countered. "So it's still… relevant to our conversation or whatever it is you said."

 

"Touché," Snape said, taking one of Harry's bishops with his knight.

 

"So why is Malfoy living here?" Harry asked again.

 

"Because I've been assigned guardianship of him."

 

"Yeah, that much was obvious," Harry said, glaring at Snape. "You're supposed to answer properly!"

 

"You never made that a condition of our conversation," Snape said, raising his eyebrows.

 

"Can I?"

 

"Only if you agree to the same terms," Snape said. "If I answer your questions with a reasonable amount of detail, will you do the same when I ask you questions?"

 

That meant when Snape asked about the Dursleys, Harry realised glumly. All of a sudden, his questions about Malfoy became a lot less pressing.

 

Snape tapped the side of the desk, regaining Harry's attention. "I've already given you my word that I will not needlessly bombard you with questions about your relatives during this conversation. This new condition does not change that."

 

Harry sighed. "Fine…"

 

"Very well, then." Snape advanced his queen before he continued speaking. "Draco is living with me because he has no other appropriate relatives to reside with. Lucius Malfoy is the only child of an only child, and both of his parents are deceased, as are Narcissa's mother and father. Narcissa Malfoy does have two sisters, but one of them is also in Azkaban, and the other Narcissa hasn't spoken to since her teenage years. They are not close whatsoever. Instead of delving into the business of other distant cousins and aunts, the Malfoys determined that I should take guardianship of Draco in the event of their deaths or incapacity due to a slew of personal and political reasons that would almost certainly go over your head."

 

Harry sat back, reeling. Snape had really kept to his word - that was a lot of detail, just like he'd promised.

 

"Why hasn't Malfoy's mum spoken to her sister in years?" Harry asked curiously.

 

Snape fixed him with a stern look. "That, as I'm sure you can recognise, is entirely Draco's private family business and does not pertain to either one of us. Your previous question was tangentially related at best already. It would be very impolite and, more importantly, a breach of Draco's trust for me to go into detail with you about the intricacies of his relationship with his aunt."

 

"Right. Sorry," Harry said quickly, feeling oddly chastised. He couldn't help but feel the tiniest bit guilty, since he could of course recognise that Snape was actually right… The idea of Malfoy knowing anything about Harry’s private business was positively revolting, after all. Since the hatred between the two of them was decidedly mutual, Harry had to assume that Malfoy also hated the prospect of Harry knowing anything about his personal life.

 

The information he had gleaned was still quite interesting, though. Who’d have guessed Malfoy had so many relatives locked up in prison? And why was he estranged from the other, mysterious aunt Malfoy’s mother didn’t speak to?

 

Snape cleared his throat, dragging Harry from his musings. “Next question: what would you like to do after Hogwarts?”

 

Harry paused for a moment before responding. “Er - what do you mean?”

 

“I mean exactly what I said,” Snape said. “When you finish school, what are you going to do? Do you have a career or field of study that interests you, perhaps?”

 

Harry, to his shock, was absolutely stumped. No one had actually asked him that question before, and he’d never really asked it of himself. Before he’d known about magic, his life goal had really just been getting away from the Dursleys at eighteen, since spending your entire childhood being told you’d never amount to anything didn’t do wonders for career aspirations. Even the magical world wasn’t much better, since Harry’s entire life’s accomplishments were irritatingly defined by something he’d done as a baby. He didn’t quite know what he wanted to do.

 

“I’m not sure,” he admitted eventually. “I’ve never really thought about it…”

 

“Well, give it some thought now,” Snape said. “It’s always good to have something to work towards.”

 

Jobs. Wizarding jobs. They were different, Harry knew, since he and the other second-years had spent a lot of time at the end of the last year looking through career leaflets to help determine their elective subjects. What careers appealed to him?

 

Harry’s main examples of prominent wizarding careers came from his time with the Weasleys, he realised. Mr Weasley was in the Ministry, which Harry didn’t think interested him. Curse-breaking in Egypt like Bill sounded cool, or a job like the one Charlie had on a dragon reserve in Romania… Harry had never been outside of Britain, as a matter of fact. He’d always wanted to see the world.

 

“Maybe something abroad,” Harry said eventually.

 

“Interesting.” Snape gave him an approving nod before taking one of Harry’s knights. He pulled a face. Snape was irritatingly good at chess…

 

“Er… so I get a question now?” Harry asked in an attempt to distract himself from his failures.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Once again, Harry found himself stumped for something to ask. Snape seemed very reluctant to give him a full answer when it came to questions about Malfoy, which were the ones he wanted to ask, so that was a dead end. He also hadn’t spent much time thinking of Snape as an actual person, as opposed to an irritating Potions teacher who lived to make his life hell, so it was hard to scrounge up questions that weren’t outright rude. Harry waited several moments, looking around for inspiration, until his eyes landed on the rows of houses outside of the window. An idea struck him.

 

“You grew up here in Cokeworth, but you don’t have the accent,” Harry said, cocking his head to the side. “Why?”

 

Snape gave him a contemplative look. “My mother was from London, so I supposed picked up on a few of her speech patterns as a child. Then, once I began at Hogwarts, I intentionally modelled my manner of speaking after the Received Pronunciation used by many Purebloods who I admired.” After a moment of hesitation, Snape added, “your mother kept far more of her original accent than I did once we started at Hogwarts.”

 

Harry froze and stared at Snape, wide-eyed. He almost couldn’t believe those words had just left Snape’s mouth, and felt his heart rate spike. He’d never properly thought about how he didn’t know what his mother's accent sounded like...

 

But now, he could start to imagine Lily’s voice with more clarity. That made an odd, warm sensation spread through Harry’s stomach. He’d spent many long hours as a child imagining that very thing, but it had always felt intangible and difficult to truly believe. This extra little detail helped in unimaginable ways.

 

"Now, although I promised not to bombard you, I wonder if you'll indulge me with just one question about your relatives?" Snape asked, turning away from the chess game and fixing Harry with his beady eyes. Harry bit his lip and didn't respond immediately.

 

"This is important information I need to have so I can ensure you do not have to return there,” Snape added in a brisk, almost business-like voice. “Just try, for your own sake.”

 

Harry sighed, and forced himself to nod, the prospect of freedom from the Dursleys and help with the accidental magic spurring him on. "Fine. Ask away."

 

"I gather that there is a level of physical abuse." Harry cringed slightly. "We discussed your cousin's violent streak yesterday, but did not get onto the elder Dursleys before we were unable to continue. Would you be able to describe it for me now?"

 

Harry turned his eyes away from the chessboard and stared at his shoes, chest uncomfortably tight. "Well it's not like they beat me or anything. Not really. Lots of people smack their kids, right?"

 

  They never hit Dudley, though.

 

"They hit you hard enough for it to bruise," Snape said quietly. "That is not right."

 

"It's just - it was particularly bad this last summer because of Aunt Marge," Harry added a little desperately. He didn't know why, but he was beginning to feel strangely defensive of his home life.

 

"Aunt Marge. This is the aunt you blew up?"

 

"Yeah." Harry swallowed, his tongue dry as sandpaper. "Uncle Vernon’s sister. She hates me more than they do, actually. Thinks I need a good hiding. Uncle Vernon would be rougher with me when she was visiting."

 

"Did she ever hurt you?"

 

"Sometimes. She has a walking stick." Aunt Marge enjoyed thwacking it against the backs of Harry's legs and barking at him to stop slouching.

 

"I see." Harry still didn't look up and meet Snape's eyes. "I'm assuming from your descriptions that your uncle would hit you, then?"

 

"Yeah." Harry remembered his promise of detail and took a deep breath. "Never where it showed, really. But he'd sort of rough me up a bit when I did something bad. Or throw me around." Into my cupboard. "Like I said, it was never too bad. Weird stuff always happened to Uncle Vernon if he went too far, he'd jolt back like he got electric shocked." The time he tried to choke me. "I'm pretty sure it was my accidental magic, but it protected me. He was scared to do more in case I did something abnormal, so he never did too much damage."

 

"Oh, I'd say he did plenty of damage," Snape growled. Harry got the sense he wasn't just referring to physical injury, and shuddered a little. That thought made his insides go cold. "And for the love of Merlin and Morgana, stop defending the awful treatment you received in that place!"

 

"Er - sorry.”

 

"And stop apologising," Snape added. "I never thought I'd say this, but I almost prefer you in a defiant rage to this unwarranted contrition!"

 

Harry almost apologised again but quickly stopped himself. He was fairly aware of the fact he sounded like a broken record, but it was pretty difficult to switch off. He didn’t have a clue what else to say apart from mindless apologies.

 

"Was it just your uncle who hurt you, then?" Snape prompted after a minute's silence. “Or was Petunia involved?”

 

"No, Aunt Petunia did too." Harry bunched up his oversized jeans in his fists. "She never did anything much worse than slap me, though." She hates me too much to ever want to touch me, even when I was bad. "Um. Actually, she swung a frying pan at my head a few times. It never really connected with my head, though. I’m good at ducking."

 

“I see." Snape's face had slipped back into that blank, emotionless mask, but Harry was getting better at seeing through it now. A muscle was ticking in Snape's jaw, the surefire sign that he was on the verge of losing his temper. His voice remained toneless and even, though. “Thank you for your candour, Harry. I understand this isn’t an easy topic for you to talk about.”

 

“It’s really not,” Harry mumbled, rubbing his hands over his arms. This supposedly helped? While Harry was at least somewhat relieved that it wasn’t hanging over him anymore, it was by no means pleasant to talk about Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon to Snape. Even though it had been a little easier with the distraction of the chess game that Harry was currently losing, talking about the Dursleys - to Snape! - was never going to be easy for him. Harry had twelve years of training screaming at him that what he'd just done was dangerous and so, so wrong. In fact, just thinking about it too thoroughly made Harry feel a little sick.

 

“Harry. Look at me.” With no small amount of difficulty, Harry ripped his gaze from the floor and met Snape's eyes. They were filled with a strange sort of fervour. “What your relatives did to you was wrong.”

 

No one had ever said that to him before. Ever.

 

Something odd twisted in Harry’s chest. As simple as those words were, they managed to lift a weight from Harry's shoulders that he hadn't even realised he was carrying. He felt lighter, somehow.

 

“Do you know that?” Snape asked.

 

“Yeah,” Harry mumbled. “I mean, I saw the differences in how they treated me and how they treated Dudley. I know it wasn’t quite normal.”

 

“But knowing and believing it are very different things,” Snape said quietly.

 

Harry nodded again, not trusting himself to speak. He knew, somewhat, that the Dursleys were nasty people. That they were cruel, even.

 

But Snape was right. Harry didn’t believe it. Every time Harry’s head tried to convince him that something was wrong with the Dursleys and not with him, his heart screeched out in protest that he was the problem. After all, it wasn’t like the Dursleys were incapable of love, or something. They adored Dudley, that much was clear.

 

But they’d never loved Harry. No one wanted him.

 

“I don’t think I’ll ever believe it,” he said thickly, daring to admit it at last.

 

“You will someday,” Snape said, leaning forward. “It will take time, but it gradually becomes easier.”

 

“But how can you know that?”

 

“Experience,” Snape said simply.

 

My father was a very unpleasant man. The words echoed in Harry’s head again, and he felt the weight of Snape’s confession hanging between the two of them. The trust behind such a statement was strangely precious, and Harry couldn’t stop thinking about what it could possibly mean in regard to the change he'd witnessed in Snape…

 

“Check.”

 

Harry winced. The game of chess was really not going in his favour, so he switched to silence in order to concentrate. That was for the best, really. So many emotions Harry couldn’t even label has started swirling around in his mind, and he thought if he spoke about these topics for another moment he’d do something stupidly emotional, a prospect which repulsed him.

 

Eventually, when Harry thought he could remain composed once more, Snape looked up from the board and cleared his throat. “I believe I owe you a question, then?”

 

Harry thought for a moment. After that last remark about personal experience, he had a couple of nagging questions to ask about Snape’s father that he’d be compelled to answer if his agreement held up. But somehow, Harry felt like there was an invisible line there that would be unwise to cross. Despite all of Snape’s promises to remain civil that he had so far kept, Harry still had a sneaking suspicion that Snape’s childhood was a potential landmine that could blow their fragile trust to smithereens.

 

Instead, a different line of questioning rose to mind. One that Harry suspected was just as risky, but couldn’t quite resist following once he came up with it.

 

“So you knew my mum.” Harry scanned Snape’s body language for signs of anger, but apart from a stiffening in his shoulders and a slight twitch in his fingers as he moved his king, nothing too obvious was apparent. “You said she met you in the park one day, but how did that even work? I know she was a Muggleborn, but aren’t you a Pureblood? How did you ever run into each other as kids?”

 

“I notice you assume I’m a Pureblood. That is untrue.”

 

Harry’s jaw dropped. “But you’re the head of Slytherin! How can you be if you’re a…?”

 

“Half-blood, like yourself,” Snape said. “My father was a Muggle, my mother a Pureblood.”

 

“I had no idea…”

 

“Well, it’s not exactly something I make public knowledge,” Snape said. “It isn’t easy being a half-blood Slytherin.”

 

Harry could imagine.

 

“As my father was a Muggle, I grew up here,” Snape said, gesturing to the house. “Your mother lived a few roads over, and we attended the same primary school, although we were in different classes. I had been watching her for a while, as I’d noticed she was magical. I was the one to tell her about it all when we were both around nine years of age. After the original shock of me telling her she was a witch - not ideally phrased on my part, I'll confess - we developed a fast friendship.”

 

“Wow,” Harry said softly, staring out of the window. Spinner’s End was uphill, so he had a reasonably good view of the houses stretching out in front of him. He wondered which one was his mother’s, if it was even visible from here.

 

“Checkmate.”

 

Harry turned his attention back to the board and groaned. “I told you I was bad.”

 

“If you were truly as bad as you imply, you’d have lost the game long before now,” Snape commented, swiping the pieces back into the box. “Still, perhaps we should have a rematch soon, so you can hone your skills and take on Mr Weasley with more confidence come September.”

 

That surprised Harry, somewhat. That someone - let alone Snape - would actually want to spend time with him. He wasn’t used to adults bothering to pay much attention to him, outside of the Weasleys, and even they were exceptionally busy.

 

What was even more shocking was the fact that Harry didn’t wholly hate the prospect of a rematch.

 

“Okay.”

 

“We cannot now, as I need to take care of some business,” Snape said, getting to his feet. “But perhaps soon.”

 

Harry nodded as Snape headed towards the bedroom door and opened it. Before he left, Snape turned back and watched Harry for a long moment, expression inscrutable.

 

“Thank you for telling me about the Dursleys,” he said finally. “I promise you I will keep your confidence, and I will do my best to make sure you never have to return there.”

 

Harry nodded. It still felt wrong to be trusting Snape with any of this, but Harry didn’t exactly have a choice, did he? Snape, for better or for worse, had been the one to work out what was happening. That meant that Harry was forced to trust him to a degree, even if he wouldn’t have under any other circumstances.

 

“Thank you for telling me about my mum,” Harry said softly.

 

Snape didn’t respond. His face was normally so controlled, but those words caused the usual mask to flicker. An expression of true sorrow and pain drew his mouth into a thin, white line, and he gave Harry an oddly jerky nod before withdrawing from the bedroom.

 

In that moment, Harry abruptly realised Snape didn't just know his mother. He'd known her well enough that her memory still packed that much of a gut punch, even twelve years after her death.

 

He'd never have expected it.

 


 

The rest of the morning after Snape left was more difficult for Harry to get through than he would care to admit. Once again, the stifling silence of the empty bedroom left Harry with no way to drown out his thoughts. A certain air of ennui hung over him, so drawing, reading, or cards couldn’t hold any of his attention. He was too distracted by his inner turmoil.

 

Harry desperately wanted all of the horrid memories to go away, but then he remembered what Snape had told him. If the sudden increase in accidental magic he was experiencing really stemmed from him trying to lock all of his emotions away and never think about them, then Harry absolutely had to stop doing that. He could not, under any circumstances, keep doing accidental magic. He knew what pain that brought.

 

Unfortunately, not suppressing his memories of his childhood on Privet Drive meant that Harry had to actually sit there and think. He spent all morning mulling over dozens of incidents where he’d done something to upset his relatives, resulting in some horrid punishment.

 

But had he done something? Dudley had been the one to hit Harry first the time Harry had fought back. In fact, he’d whacked Harry over and over and over before he’d dared shove his cousin away. Uncle Vernon had lost it. He’d rained his fists on Harry until he’d been gasping for breath, cowering away from his uncle’s wrath, all while Aunt Petunia had screeched in the background about how ungrateful he was, how worthless, how everyone would be better off if he’d died with his parents.

 

  What your relatives did to you was wrong.

 

And all of a sudden, the suffocating anger from that morning surged back with a vengeance. If Severus Snape, a man who had hated Harry since he’d had the audacity to breathe the same air as him, thought the Dursleys’ treatment of him was wrong, didn’t that say a lot? And yes, a part of Harry thought he deserved it. A loud, vocal part.

 

But some of the stuff they’d done couldn’t be explained away by Harry’s inherent rottenness. The lies they’d told him about his parents all his life, for example. That they’d died in a car crash. That it had been his father’s fault. That his parents were drunks, and layabouts. That, more than anything, truly infuriated Harry. He could take the Dursleys insulting Harry and his character, but not that of his parents. That was completely and utterly unfair! They were good, noble people, and the Dursleys had stolen that knowledge from him out of blatant spite.

 

By the time Snape stuck his head back into Harry’s bedroom to let him know it was time for lunch, he was practically trembling with outrage. It seemed the pendulum of his emotions had swung straight back to anger, and Harry felt as though he were made of flaming fury, ready to burn the whole world down with him.

 

Then, as he turned to walk down the staircase, Malfoy exited the laboratory. All of a sudden, Harry’s rage had a focus. Malfoy glared at him, and Harry glowered back, his hands clenched into fists. The Dursleys weren’t here for Harry to be angry with, but Draco Malfoy was, and Harry certainly hated him with a vengeance. He despised every aspect of Malfoy’s personality, and most of all, he was still utterly seething over everything he’d told Snape. That was truly unforgivable, and truly evil in Harry’s eyes. He was the lowest of the low.

 

He wasn’t entirely sure what happened at the base of the stairs; Harry was too riled up to pay attention to his surroundings. All he knew is that Malfoy’s shoulder roughly bumped past his - by accident or on purpose, Harry couldn’t be certain, but in Harry’s frenzied state, he perceived it as an intentional attack, and after a long week of bullying, Harry was done putting up with Malfoy’s behaviour. He grabbed Malfoy by the front of his robes and slammed him into the wall of the hallway with as much force as he could possibly muster. He dug the edge of his arm into Malfoy’s chest, pinning him in place, a sick mirror of their fight in the garden the other day, and wasn’t that truly karma? Harry pulled his fist back, drove it hard into Malfoy’s jaw, pulled it back for another blow -

 

But before his hand could connect, a rough hand seized Harry by the back of the collar and yanked him backwards. He fell away from Malfoy, barely kept his feet, and the anger faded to panic, Vernon was somehow here -

 

But the hand spun Harry around, and he found himself being pulled away by Snape, not Uncle Vernon. It wasn’t exactly much better to have Snape’s livid face mere inches away from his, though.

 

“What on earth do you think you’re doing?!” Snape shouted, spittle flying from his mouth. As Harry stared into that horribly familiar look of fury, he realised he’d finally managed what he’d been subconsciously trying to do since Snape had picked him up from that London alleyway. He’d pushed Snape over the edge. He’d made Snape explode.

 

Harry had thought he’d wanted this. He knew how to deal with Snape angry, after all - that was what he was trying to get back to, the comfortable status quo.

 

But as he stared into the man’s fierce, narrowed eyes, all Harry could think about was how much he regretted ruining everything.

To be continued...
Detente, Monopoly, and a Lie by Omission by aspionage

“What is your problem, Potter?!” Malfoy shouted, tearing Harry from his terrified stupor. He was cupping his face in his hand and glowering fiercely.

 

“I would also like to know that!” Snape growled. “I witnessed that entire altercation, and I am appalled! What has gotten into you?"

 

Harry didn't respond. The overwhelming surge of anger had left him buzzing with adrenaline, and he felt oddly woozy. He could hear his pounding heartbeat in his ears.

 

"With me, now!” Keeping a firm hold on the scruff of Harry’s neck, he unceremoniously yanked Harry through into the living room and shut the door tightly before at last releasing him. Harry immediately scrambled backwards, away from him.

 

Snape crossed his arms and remained firmly in front of the living room door. He somehow looked far taller than usual.

 

“I want an explanation!” he shouted. “That was needless, unprovoked violence! Why did you do that, Potter?”

 

“I don’t know,” Harry said hoarsely. He found himself backing away until he hit the far wall of the living room.

 

“You don’t know?” Snape asked incredulously. “You don't know? Then I’d suggest you start racking your brain for some sort of reasoning! I gave you my word I would hear out your side of things from now on, but I am struggling to understand what could have possibly caused that! How dare you! That was unacceptable, Potter! Explain yourself immediately!”

 

But Harry didn’t have an explanation. What had even happened, a nudge into Harry’s shoulder? Why had he flipped out like that? It just felt like all the anger he’d been harbouring had erupted in a violent explosion, and all he’d wanted was for Malfoy to hurt as much as he did. It was like he wasn't even in control of himself…

 

“Well?” Snape demanded. “Answer me, Potter!”

 

“I already said I don’t know!” Harry shouted, his voice cracking. “I don’t know why I did it, I don’t know what’s wrong with me!”

 

Snape didn’t respond immediately as he continued to stare at Harry. Sizing him up. Cataloguing all his faults and failings. Harry could feel his heart beating in his throat.

 

Suddenly, Snape strode forward. Harry tried to back up, but he was already pressed against the wall. Before he had time to dodge or flee, Snape had grabbed Harry’s upper arm with one hand so he couldn’t writhe away and was reaching into his robes with another. For his wand? No, for a small vial filled with lilac liquid. He uncorked it with his thumb and held it towards Harry’s face. “Calming Draught. Drink it.”

 

“I don’t need a Calming Draught!” he hissed, trying to twist his head away.

 

“You’ve spent all day swinging between a panic attack and a violent rage, and you’re currently rattling my bookshelves,” Snape said in a tightly controlled voice. Harry could tell he was just barely holding back his temper, and shrank away slightly. “You are obviously incapable of controlling your emotions without aid, so I am forced to intervene. Just drink the damn potion!”

 

Snape pushed the vial forward so the glass rim was pressing against Harry's lips. He stopped protesting and drank the Calming Draught without further argument, not wanting to make Snape even more upset than he already was. It tasted like toothpaste, and worked quickly. Harry felt his heartbeat slow and his breathing calm, and some of the tension faded out of his muscles. It was a strange sensation, to feel like the edges of your emotions were fuzzy. It felt like the anger and fear were waiting to one side instead of choking Harry with their ferocity. Still palpable, but manageable. He didn't particularly like the sensation after a couple of minutes, though. Being so numb to all emotions, not just the negative ones, wasn't a particularly pleasant sensation.

 

Snape clicked his fingers, regaining Harry’s attention. “Can you control yourself?”

 

Harry nodded, refusing to meet his eyes. He felt rather embarrassed now that he was less fired up.

 

“A verbal answer,” Snape ordered. “I’m thoroughly sick of all this nodding and shrugging you do. Can you control yourself, Potter?”

 

“Yes…”

 

"You'd better," Snape said, his voice dark and low with warning. He jabbed a finger at the living room door. “Into the kitchen, then. I think the three of us need a little chat.” 

 

The last thing Harry wanted was to be stuck sitting in the kitchen being yelled at, especially in front of Malfoy, but he got the sense that fighting Snape right now would be extraordinarily stupid and so went on without further complaint. Malfoy was already sitting down at the table. He glared furiously at Harry while Snape handed him something wrapped in a tea towel.

 

“Hold that ice on your face,” he said. “I’ll give you a salve for it soon. Potter, sit.”

 

Harry sat across from Malfoy, staring hard at his lap. Even with the Calming Draught dulling the extremes of his feelings, he felt utterly sickened with horror. He’d done that, and he’d done it for no good reason. What was wrong with him?

 

Snape didn’t speak for a long time, and the only sound in the kitchen was the ticking of the clock and an occasional rustle as Malfoy readjusted the ice on his face. When Harry dared to look up, he saw Snape’s furious scowl slowly melting away into the blank, empty expression that signified Occlumency. Even with that, however, he still looked rather cross. Snape's eyes were narrowed and his jaw was tight when he at last began speaking.

 

“I do not understand,” he said through gritted teeth, “why the two of you hate each other so bitterly! Your animosity towards one another does not make any sense! Draco, did you seriously begin a two-year feud based on one simple denial of friendship? Was that genuinely all it took?”

 

“It’s more complicated than that!” Malfoy hissed, his cheeks turning pink. “And I don’t see why you’re shouting at me! I’m the victim here, Potter attacked me!”

 

“Oh, I’m getting to him,” Snape growled, snapping his head to stare pointedly at Harry. “You claim so vehemently that the incidents involving Mr Malfoy are entirely prompted by his misbehaviour, then you turn around and attack him completely unprovoked! That is not the action a helpless victim of circumstance would take!”

 

“I never claimed to be his victim,” Harry muttered, smarting a little at that.

 

“Well, you’re going to explain to me what happened, then!” Snape said, visibly seething. “You can’t just go around punching people with no explanation, Potter. What happened?”

 

“I don’t know,” Harry said miserably.

 

“Yes, you’ve mentioned,” Snape said sarcastically. He crossed his arms. “But you are going to figure it out, and soon. I am sick of this constant sniping, fighting, and refusal to address your issues! No one is leaving this table until the two of you have had it out and some sort of détente is established.”

 

Malfoy groaned loudly, while Harry sank back into his chair and rolled his eyes so far back he thought he'd managed to catch a glimpse of his brain. This promised to be thoroughly miserable.

 

“You first,” Snape said, taking a step forward so it was impossible for Harry to successfully avoid meeting his gaze. “Despite your vehement claims to the contrary, I am not entirely convinced you stand clueless as to your motivations."

 

"The only thing I'm clueless about is why speak like you're stuck in Victorian England!" Harry hissed, feeling another surge of frustration. Why did Snape have to be so bloody nosy?! "Just talk normally!"

 

Harry wanted to kick himself as soon as the words left his mouth. Why couldn't he stop digging himself into this hole? He was just getting himself in more trouble!

 

Snape, visibly vexed, placed his hands on the edge of the kitchen table and leaned in so his face was inches from Harry’s. "Very well, then. I will speak clearly. Tell me what was going through your mind when you attacked Draco, and if you say 'I don't know' one more time, I swear to all the Gods I will -"

 

"I was angry!" Harry finally said.

 

"Ah, progress!" Snape said icily. "Although as I was shockingly able to infer that on my own, I need a little bit more. Why were you angry? Is it because of the events of last week? The blackmail and rude remarks?"

 

Harry didn't answer - couldn't answer - and Snape seemed to take his silence as confirmation. "Perhaps, given that you have perpetrated your own act of unwarranted violence, you might want to rethink your staunch refusal to even consider Draco's apology?"

 

That last remark allowed the anger to burst through the shroud of the Calming Draught fully.

 

"No!" Harry shouted, clenching his hands into fists. "Don't you understand? I don't give a damn about what happened last week, I'm angry because my life is ruined and it's all his fault!"

 

"What are you even talking about?" Malfoy demanded, eyes flashing. "What did I do to ruin your life, of all things?"

 

"Yes, I'd similarly care to be enlightened,” Snape said, pulling out a chair and sitting at the table perpendicular to Harry. He propped his elbows on the table and gave Harry a piercing look.

 

"Well, I'm not telling you," Harry muttered.

 

"Oh yes you are," Snape said in a low voice. "I was serious when I said I would happily keep you here all day. Tell me, or sit here for hours until I manage to…persuade you."

 

Harry imagined the hours of lecturing that would entail and balked. Well, there was nothing for it.

 

"Fine! You want to know so badly?" he hissed, staring daggers at Malfoy. "I'm angry because he's a dirty little sneak! It wasn't enough to lie about the necklace and spend all week being a complete and utter tosser, you just had to get one last dig in and tell him about those bruises, didn't you!"

 

Malfoy's anger turned to disbelief. "That's the part you're angry about?"

 

"Yes!" Harry shouted, jumping to his feet. "You'd be angry too if someone ruined your life by telling your secrets to him, all for their own personal satisfaction!"

 

"I didn't tell him about those bruises, you dimwit!" Malfoy shouted, shoving his own chair back with a loud screech.

 

"Oh, so now you're a liar as well as a grass!" Harry said accusingly. "He sure found out, that much is certain, and you're the only person who knew!"

 

"I didn't tell him!" Malfoy yelled. "Why on earth would I, especially since it got me in a ton more trouble, I might add! He was Legilimising me when you ran away and he saw the memory! Perhaps you could have found that out if you weren't such a thick, incompetent, half-blooded -"

 

"Gentlemen!" Snape barked, cutting off their argument. "Both of you sit back down now."

 

Malfoy dropped into his chair with a huff of exasperation, but Harry remained on his feet. There was a strange buzzing in his ears like a swarm of irritated bees.

 

"You - you Legilimised him?" Harry eventually managed.

 

"Yes," Snape said evenly. "If you sit back down, I will give you more detail."

 

Harry couldn't sit, he was reeling. "You told me you wouldn't ever Legilimise people! You lied!"

 

"I did not lie," Snape said quietly. "And if you would like an explanation for my actions - and I can assure you there is one - then you will have to take a seat. Don’t make me ask again, Potter, or you won’t like what happens."

 

It was only the dulling impact of the Calming Draught that helped Harry manage his emotions enough to lower himself. He stared at Snape, horrified. "You lied!"

 

"I did not lie to you!" Snape repeated rather irritably. "I said I would never Legilimise you - as long as someone's safety was not at risk, that is. That was a specific stipulation to my promise that you’ll recall I mentioned to you. When you ran away, your safety was compromised, and every wasted minute was another in which Black could find and attack you. I did not have ample time to get an answer out of Draco, and I had to go through his memories so I could ascertain what was going on and where you possibly could have gone, as it was very apparent he was hiding something from me. Isn't that right, Draco?"

 

"Yes," Malfoy admitted, somewhat reluctantly. "I wasn't going to tell him anything, I'll have you know! You could have thought about that before unilaterally blaming me for everything-"

 

"And Draco," Snape said loudly, "has there ever been another occasion in which I used Legilimency on you?"

 

"No."

 

"Have I used Legilimency on you, Harry?" Snape asked, leaning his elbows on the table. "Even in certain situations where I have been very eager to get answers from you, did I at any point go through your memories?"

 

Harry thought for a moment, and then shook his head. Even if Snape had times where he was freakishly perceptive, he'd never actually gone the full length of actually reading Harry's mind. Even when he was trying to get Harry to talk about the Dursleys…

 

"No."

 

"Therefore, I did not lie," Snape said.

 

“Why did you say he told you about it, then?” Harry demanded.

 

“I never said that, as a matter of fact,” Snape said evasively. “If you think back to our conversation the other night, I never explicitly told you that Draco said these things to me -”

 

“Oh, come on!” Harry said loudly. “You just lied by omission and you know it! That’s complete bullshit!”

 

“Watch your language, Potter!” Snape snapped. “I am extraordinarily close to losing my patience, and it would be very unwise to test me right now!”

 

Harry made a frustrated noise in the back of his throat and ground his back teeth.

 

“I’d like to know what you think I should have done in the situation we found ourselves in!” Snape added. “Seeing as the last time I brought up using Legilimency you ran away, I didn’t think it was wise for you to draw the conclusion that I regularly go through people’s minds, which I’m almost certain you would have done. You can be unhappy about it if you like, but it wouldn’t have been wise for you to know if I planned on you actually staying put in this house.”

 

“I wouldn’t have run away again,” Harry muttered, trying to prove a point.

 

“I don’t know you well enough to make that assumption, especially since I didn’t exactly expect you to do it in the first place, Potter,” Snape said, rolling his eyes. “But the long and short of this is that Draco did not voluntarily tell me about those bruises, if that’s what you’re so hung up on.”

 

“That’s right, I didn’t!” Draco said irritably. “I still don’t even know what they came from, by the way! Would anyone care to inform me?”

 

“No, as I fail to see how it’s any of your business,” Snape said with a tone of finality.

 

Harry would have been grateful for that putdown if he wasn’t so horrified by all the information that had just come to light. His remaining annoyance about Snape's misdirection was nothing in comparison to the sheer disgust Harry was feeling towards himself. He'd spent the last three days absolutely furious with Malfoy for telling Snape about the bruises, but he hadn't. Harry had punched him in the face, and would have kept going if not for Snape’s intervention, over something that hadn’t even happened! A hot wave of self-hatred rose up in Harry as he thought about that. Sure, Malfoy was a nasty bully at the best of times, but when Harry did something like that, he wasn’t any better. He felt like everything Snape had said about him for years was true; Harry was a spoilt bully.

 

“I’m sorry,” he said quietly, because he truly was. “I thought - if I’d known you hadn’t… I’m just sorry.”

 

Malfoy scoffed. “Oh, that’s a bit rich! How does it feel to be on the other foot with apologies, hmm? Perhaps I should hold this over your head for days and days, even though I -”

 

“Draco,” Snape said in a low voice, and the other boy fell silent. “After all of the griping and moaning about your own unaccepted apology, I think it would be better for everyone in this situation if you could be a tad more graceful.”

 

“Fine.” Malfoy sighed. “I suppose, considering everything, we could… try and start over?”

 

“Sure.” Harry was feeling so wretched at that point that he’d probably agree to just about anything.

 

“Are we done, then?” Malfoy complained.

 

“No,” Snape said, folding his arms. “Far from it. I wish to understand why you’ve been so hostile towards Mr Potter while you’ve been living here together. I’ve noticed you still haven’t told me.”

 

“I have,” Malfoy grumbled. “I don’t like him.”

 

“Not good enough,” Snape said, waving one hand. “I think, much like Mr Potter, you are projecting some of the underlying anger at your situation and are taking it out on him. Would that be a fair assumption?”

 

Malfoy’s eyes flashed. “Of course I’m angry! Is that suddenly not allowed, either?”

 

“Why should Potter suffer as a consequence of your circumstances, though?” Snape asked, arching an eyebrow. “He isn’t at fault for the problems occurring in your personal life. You should not take out your anger on him, just as he should not take out his anger on you.”

 

“Oh, Potter can cope!” Malfoy snapped. “He doesn’t have a clue what it’s like to be in my shoes! My life is an utter wreckage, Severus! I’ve lost absolutely everything, I’m stuck living here instead of with my family where I belong, so of course I’m miserable! You know that, I’ve told you about it already! I’m not going to be in the best of moods all the time, especially around that prat!”

 

“What, do you think I asked to come here, then?” Harry demanded. “You think I want to be stuck here with the two of you? I’m not happy about it, either!” Harry suddenly realised Snape was still watching and felt his cheeks heat up. “Er - no offence, sir -”

 

“Believe me, Potter, I am fully enlightened about your feelings towards myself and Draco,” Snape drawled with a shake of his head. “If you were pleased to be here, I’d be concerned about brain damage.”

 

“Er - right.”

 

“Both of you are here because you have experienced remarkable hardships in your life,” Snape added. “One would think you could come together over that, but instead you tear each other down and use each other as punching bags!”

 

Malfoy scoffed. “Potter’s experienced hardship? Please.”

 

The anger exploded through the Calming Draught again, and Harry curled his hands into fists. “You’re one to talk! You’ve had everything handed to you, and now you’re going to stand here and say -”

 

“Gentlemen!” Snape shouted again, cutting off Harry’s rant. “As a matter of fact, both of you have experienced incredible hardship during your short lives! Draco, would you not consider having one’s parents murdered as a small child to be an event of great adversity?” Malfoy looked away from them both, rather shame-faced, as Snape rounded on Harry. “And you! Having grown up without parents, you can surely understand how miserable it must be to be ripped from your family with no opportunity to even say goodbye!”

 

Harry felt his cheeks heat up. He hadn’t thought about things from that angle at all. As much as he personally disliked Lucius Malfoy, Draco was obviously going to be quite fond of him…

 

“I want this behaviour to stop,” Snape growled. “I understand you dislike each other, but clearly my requests for your civility are clearly not enough of a motivator. You will no longer avoid each other at every given opportunity - if I have to force you together all day, every day until you somehow overcome your differences, then I will do so happily! Consider any of your independent free time withdrawn until you sort yourselves out.”

 

Malfoy groaned loudly, and Harry ground his back teeth and dug his fingernails into his palms.

 

“I think scrubbing cauldrons will wear some of that anger out, don’t you agree?” Snape laced his fingers together. “Draco, you’re still in trouble for your own act of violence, as you very well know, and I think it would be prudent for Potter to join you as punishment.”

 

“Yes, sir,” Harry said dully.

 

“Eat your lunch so we can begin.”

 

Three plates of food appeared in front of them. Draco and Snape quickly tucked in, but Harry simply prodded at his food with a fork, feeling thoroughly miserable. Eating was the last thing on his mind right now…

 

After several minutes of Harry playing with his food without eating a bite of it, a long, pale finger tapped the table next to Harry’s plate. He glanced up and saw Snape pointedly incline his head towards Harry’s food. Right. Snape was weirdly obsessed with what Harry ate.

 

Since he didn’t want to get in even more trouble, Harry speared a chunk of sausage and ate it, even though his stomach was so entwined into knots of misery that he thought no food would be allowed passage down his throat. For some reason, Snape still caring whether Harry ate or not even though he was so angry just made Harry feel even worse about himself.

 


 

After they ate, Malfoy and Harry were both put to work in Snape’s laboratory cleaning out some of the most disgusting cauldrons Harry had ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. If scrubbing the caked-on potion crust wasn’t bad enough, Snape had decided to supervise the entire activity, because he apparently couldn’t trust Harry and Malfoy to be alone in a room together without ‘violating the Geneva convention’, which Harry thought was a bit dramatic. To be fair, Snape was a rather dramatic person, but Harry was still a little put out. He felt horribly guilty about the whole incident earlier and really wasn’t planning on doing anything to hurt Malfoy again. The other boy, surprisingly, seemed similarly chastened. He barely said a word apart from occasionally asking Harry to pass a brush or some cleaning fluid, and looked just as miserable as Harry felt.

 

None of this mattered to Snape, of course. He had decided the ideal form of punishment was to also lecture Harry and Malfoy at length about self-control and anger management for hours on end. Harry really hated this for two reasons: it was remarkably tedious, and it also made him feel even worse about himself than he was already feeling. Snape’s rather harsh words about emotional volatility and violence were really getting under Harry’s skin, and by the end of the afternoon Harry had practically taken a vow of pacifism because he felt so awful about what he’d done.

 

But as unpleasant as it all was, Harry couldn’t help but think that things could be a lot worse. After all, he’d attacked Malfoy outright. While Snape had lost his temper and had done a lot of shouting, he still hadn’t reverted to the Snape of before, who would needlessly taunt Harry at length and tear him down. He’d been angry, sure, but he hadn’t been wholly unreasonable. One mistake from Harry hadn’t actually ruined everything.

 

Maybe that was a sign things really were changing, then?

 

After hours of cauldron scrubbing in the stiflingly hot laboratory, Snape at last cleared his throat. “I think that’s more than enough for now. Pot - Harry, with me. I require your assistance with dinner.”

 

Harry nodded and got to his feet, stretching his aching shoulders. He didn’t miss the fact that Snape had just used his first name.

 

Malfoy was looking between the two of them incredulously. “He can cook?”

 

“Surprisingly, yes,” Snape said, placing a jar of berries onto a shelf of potions ingredients.

 

“You two don’t have to sound so shocked about it,” Harry muttered, brushing his clothes off.

 

“With me, then,” Snape ordered. “I shall summon you when the food is prepared, Draco.”

 

Malfoy nodded and made a beeline straight for the bathroom. As Harry walked down the stairs behind Snape, he heard the telltale groan of pipes that meant the shower had turned on. Harry, who was rather hot and sticky from the combination of the laboratory heat and the manual labour, wished he could do the same.

 

They entered the kitchen, and Snape pointed his wand at the cabinets. The doors burst open, and a line of potatoes flew from the depths and uniformly lined themselves up on the kitchen counter. They were promptly followed by a peeler.

 

“Peel those potatoes,” Snape ordered. Harry stepped forward, picked up the peeler and started removing the skins. Meanwhile, Snape busied himself standing in front of the fridge.

 

Harry watched him out of the corner of his eye. Did wizards generally need fridges? The Weasleys certainly didn’t have one, but this was a Muggle house, so maybe Snape did things differently. You needed something to keep your food cold, after all. Didn’t electricity go a bit funny around magic, though? Snape was always Summoning stuff out of the fridge, and that much use would surely mess up the wiring… or maybe the fridge had been enhanced with magic? Harry’s mind was practically exploding with questions, but he suppressed them. He wasn’t really in the mood to chat to Snape right now.

 

Snape, of course, was prepared to turn around and quiz Harry at any point, it seemed.

 

“There are some extra things to do with the incident earlier I wish to discuss with you without Draco present,” Snape said. After making sure Snape couldn’t see his face, Harry rolled his eyes. He’d spent all afternoon listening and discussing things, and he was getting thoroughly sick of it. “Namely, the aspects of it which relate back to your aunt and uncle.”

 

Harry groaned, clenching the potato so hard in his hand that he was surprised it didn’t explode between his fingers. Why did Snape think everything had to do with the stupid Dursleys?

 

“Your anger stemmed from the fact that you thought Draco had told me about your injuries,” Snape said, “but I would like to make the point that even if he had told me of his own volition, that would still not be a justifiable reason for you to be angry with him.”

 

“It would be because it was none of his fucking business!” Harry growled.

 

“Language!” Snape said sharply, his eyes narrowing. "If you continue to swear so habitually, then you will find yourself becoming intimately familiar with a Soaping Spell, Mr Potter. I will not warn you again."

 

Harry gritted his teeth and scraped off a great chunk of potato rather irritably.

 

“And no, it would not be a valid excuse for your anger, as whether or not he could divine the real cause of those injuries, you were still hiding them from everyone, which is odd behaviour at best and downright dangerous at worst.”

 

“They were just some bruises,” Harry muttered resentfully. “They weren’t serious.”

 

“I’m sorry, I was not aware you’re a medical professional!” Snape said sarcastically. “Considering the fact that you were pushed down a staircase, those bruises could have easily obscured a fractured rib! Do you even realise how serious this all is?”

 

“Well, that didn’t happen!” Harry pointed out.

 

“You are intentionally missing my point,” Snape said, his voice heated. “I am telling you that upon seeing a series of unexplainable injuries that you were insistent on keeping from the person in charge of your care, Draco would have been well within his rights to inform me. Why, then, were you so upset about it?”

 

“Because,” Harry said, his throat oddly tight, “because…well, if you hadn’t found out, none of the stuff about them would have come out. Things would still be normal! Now you know everything, and I have to think about it, and I can’t keep my magic under control because I’m either just so angry, or…”

 

Or scared, Harry’s brain finished as he trailed off. He wasn’t going to admit that to Snape in a million years, though.

 

Snape was regarding him, the irritation that had previously been so clear on his features conspicuously absent. He was frowning, but his eyes were crinkled with concern instead of narrowed with anger. “I think I am beginning to understand. Have you fully considered that this anger you were feeling towards Draco was not actually related to his actions whatsoever, but rather comes from you processing the trauma you endured at the hands of your relatives?”

 

“I am not traumatised,” Harry growled, flexing his fingers and trying to suppress his annoyance. The Calming Draught he had taken earlier had worn off towards the end of Snape’s afternoon of lecturing, and if Harry lost control and blew up Snape’s glassware again he thought he might actually die of embarrassment.

 

Snape looked like he wanted to argue the point, but simply exhaled loudly before continuing. “Would you or would you not agree that you are angry about your family situation?”

 

Harry hesitated for a moment before slowly nodding. That was what he had been thinking about before punching Malfoy, wasn’t it? He’d been outraged about what the Dursleys had spent his childhood telling Harry about his mother and father, and that fury had directly caused his explosion.

 

“I think,” Snape said quietly, “that since you have no means to express your outrage towards your relatives, you have instead settled on what your mind determines to be a more palatable and accessible target. Since you thought Draco was the reason your relationship with the Dursleys came to light, you directed your anger towards him instead.”

 

Harry gripped the counter and pressed his lips together, disgust rising in him because Snape was right. He’d been shoving Malfoy around that whole morning for no good reason, even before he’d punched the other boy. It wasn’t like Malfoy was still being horrid to him, after all. In fact, Malfoy had pretty much been on his best behaviour since Harry had been retrieved from London. He’d even apologised!

 

And Harry had responded to that like some sort of violent thug. He felt like Dudley. Harry did his best to swallow down his shame, but he couldn’t quite press away the lump in his throat.

 

“I told you yesterday that Draco takes Calming Draughts when his anger gets out of hand,” Snape said, pausing his cooking preparations to fix Harry with a piercing look. “Do you think it would be wise to do something similar in your case, while we wait for your life to settle down?”

 

Harry nodded mutely, not trusting himself to speak. He didn’t particularly like the sensation of a Calming Draught, but it was a hell of a lot better than devolving into fits of violent rage.

 

“You need to make a concentrated effort to sort out your reactions,” Snape said sternly. Harry couldn’t bring himself to look at the man. “It is not Draco’s fault you have been mistreated by your relatives, and you shouldn’t take your anger out on him.”

 

Harry thought if Snape kept talking for another moment he’d do something awful, like burst into tears, so he let the frustration and self-hatred morph into irritation. “Oh, like you’re one to talk!”

 

“I beg your pardon?” Snape’s eyes narrowed, and Harry felt the awful choked sensation in his throat ease. Yes, anger was easier.

 

“You’ve spent the past two years being horrible to me for no reason!” Harry hissed. “You’re always angry at me, even when I haven’t done anything wrong! Like how the hell was I supposed to know about the Draught of Living Death as a first year? I’d only known about magic for a month at that point! Then, I come here and you’re even more of a git than usual! I don’t understand how you can stand there and say I shouldn’t take out my anger on other people when that’s all you’ve done to me the entire time you’ve known me!”

 

Harry finally finished ranting, his chest heaving, while Snape stood by the fridge with his mouth hanging open slightly. It was about a minute before he finally responded. “I… I would like to apologise.”

 

That took the wind out of Harry’s sails. “What?”

 

“I apologise for the way I have treated you for the last two years, and for my behaviour towards you while you have been staying here,” Snape said evenly. “You’re completely right; I was taking my own anger out on you. I am throwing stones in a glass house, one might say.”

 

Harry was the one with his mouth hanging open, now. “You - you’re - what?”

 

“I’m sorry,” Snape said again. “You are not expected to accept my apology, but I thought you should have it nonetheless.”

 

There was no sound in the kitchen apart from the scrape of the potato peeler as Harry tried to collect himself after that shocking admission. He had never, not in a million years, expected Snape to apologise for the way he treated Harry during Potions. It was such an unlikely scenario that Harry didn’t even know where to begin. Eventually, he managed to collect his wits enough to attempt to speak again.

 

“I’m… well, I still don’t understand why you did all of it, though.” Snape inclined his head, and Harry rushed on. “I mean you’ve spent all afternoon wanting to know why Malfoy and I were doing the stuff we did to each other, so why were you always so mean to me? I don’t remember doing anything specific -”

 

“No.” Snape cut Harry off quickly. “It was nothing you did.” He tugged down the sleeves of his black robes before continuing to speak. “It was your father. I’m sure you can gather from some of my insults that I intensely disliked the man.”

 

Harry frowned. “Why?”

 

“Because he was an arrogant, pig-headed -” Snape abruptly cut himself off and took a deep, shuddering breath. “No. Don’t ask me, because my retelling may be… inaccurate. At any rate, I was taking out my dislike of him on you. It was wrong of me.”

 

“Yeah. It was,” Harry bit out, scraping the peeler against the potato rather forcefully.

 

“That is why I am so insistent that you process your own anger,” Snape said after a moment. “Consider me something of a cautionary tale. I do not want you to go down the same path I did.”

 

Harry shivered slightly. That, more than anything, was a pretty compelling reason to sort himself out. It felt a little rude to think of things that way, but it was true; Harry didn’t want to end up like Snape.

 

They cooked in silence for a while, and Harry moved on from peeling potatoes to carrots, thinking all the while about Snape’s own apology. He still couldn’t quite believe it had happened.

 

Snape had said Harry didn’t have to accept his apology. Did he accept it yet? Harry wasn’t sure. Harry really didn’t like holding grudges, so he was inclined to do so, but he didn’t know if Snape was just going to go back to being his usual self when they got back to Hogwarts, so he was a bit wary of getting over things too soon. At any rate, he was still reeling from the fact that Snape had even said sorry in the first place.

 

Harry wasn’t even particularly certain about how he felt about Snape in general these days. He’d been surprisingly decent. It wasn’t just the basic necessities, like three full meals a day, a bed to sleep in, and the absence of his relatives’ manhandling that made living at Spinner’s End preferable to Privet Drive.

 

No, Snape was actually nice to Harry. He’d spent time with Harry, cooking and playing chess. He took an interest in Harry’s life, and asked him what he wanted to do when he grew up, and told Harry about his mother, even though he obviously found it hard to do so. He’d insisted on healing Harry’s injuries, no matter how vehemently he protested, and he’d given his word that he was going to stop Harry from going back to his relatives. Nobody had ever cared enough to do that for Harry before Snape, and as much as he didn’t want it to, that meant something.

 

Harry didn’t think he was quite over their past quite yet, but to his shock, he realised he didn’t hate Snape anymore. And, he thought, Snape no longer hated Harry, either. He didn’t spend all day standing around glaring at Snape and thinking up insults, at any rate. Harry didn’t want to anymore. The longstanding, mutual dislike between the two of them was gradually giving way to something different, something that Harry didn’t quite have words for. It was still early days, but Harry was starting to realise how far a bit of common decency and kindness could go towards thawing an icy relationship. At any rate, living at Spinner’s End wasn’t utterly unbearable like it had been the week before. Harry was actually settling into their odd routine.

 

It was a long time before someone spoke again. Snape was the one to break the silence. “I noticed you mentioned you didn’t know you were a wizard until a month before you began attending Hogwarts?”

 

“Oh. Yeah.” Harry shrugged as he chopped the carrots. “You’ve probably guessed they don’t exactly like magic. Hagrid was the one to tell me everything when he came to deliver my Hogwarts letter.”

 

Snape didn’t respond immediately, and Harry turned over his shoulder and realised Snape was regarding him strangely. His eyes were dark with something - pity, Harry thought with no small amount of horror.

 

“Don’t look at me like that,” he snapped, unable to bear looking Snape in the eyes for another moment. “I don’t need to be pitied. Plenty of Muggleborns started Hogwarts in exactly the same position as me.”

 

“I was not pitying you,” Snape said tersely. “Feeling sorry for people is not in my nature. I was simply reflecting on some of the shortcomings of Petunia’s character. I see she hasn’t improved in the slightest since I knew her…”

 

Harry dropped his knife as he gasped. It hit the floor with a loud clatter, narrowly missing his foot. Snape rolled his eyes as he waved his wand, causing the knife to fly back onto the counter. “Pay attention! I’d prefer it if you didn’t mutilate yourself while cooking, as reattaching toes is a rather tiresome process…”

 

“What do you mean you know Aunt Petunia?” Harry demanded.

 

“Knew,” Snape corrected. “Given my friendship with your mother, I occasionally came across her when she was young.” His lip curled. “She was not particularly fond of me, or of magic.”

 

Harry stared at Snape, wide-eyed. “She was always like that?”

 

“Indeed.” Snape’s expression had developed into a full sneer. “She was always a remarkably jealous, spiteful person, even as a child. She hates magic because she cannot have it. In fact, I recall her writing a letter to Professor Dumbledore begging him to allow her to study magic at Hogwarts.”

 

“No way!” Harry exclaimed.

 

“It’s true,” Snape said. “Your mother and I found the Headmaster’s reply and rejection in her room one day. She envied Lily terribly, and never quite got over it, apparently. Although, to not even tell you magic exists when she knew a decent amount of detail about it is an extra layer of cruelty I’d have hoped Petunia did not possess.” Snape frowned. “If you didn’t know about magic, then how did she explain your parents’ deaths?”

 

“Oh, I always thought they died in a car crash,” Harry said. He deliberately excluded the part about them being drunk drivers, but that didn’t seem to help the look of outrage on Snape’s face.

 

“Now that is truly ridiculous,” he snapped, slamming a pot onto the stove.

 

“Yeah. Hagrid was pretty angry with them when he found out.”

 

“Rightfully so,” Snape growled, turning back to the cooking. He jabbed his wand at the stove, and tall flames began licking at the sides of the pot. Snape muttered an oath under his breath and waved his wand again, reducing the flames to a regular size. To Harry’s immense relief, they didn’t speak of the Dursleys again as they finished up the meal, although Snape was still quite clearly angry about everything Harry had told him. He didn’t think he minded that, though. In a weird way, it was quite comforting to know there was somebody out there who disliked Petunia Dursley just as much as Harry himself did.

 


 

After a rather silent dinner, mercifully free of the lecturing Snape had engaged in all afternoon, Harry and Malfoy both got up almost simultaneously to leave, presumably to different parts of the house.

 

“Not so fast,” Snape said, holding up a hand. Harry groaned, as did Malfoy. “I will not have you two slinking off to separate corners of the house to sulk. I meant it when I said I wanted you to spend some time together.”

 

Harry sighed. “More cauldrons, then?”

 

Snape shook his head, and pointed his wand in the direction of the open doorway. “I had something else in mind.”

 

Moments later, an incredibly faded Monopoly box landed on the kitchen table. Malfoy frowned. “What is that?”

 

“A board game, which the two of you will be playing together this evening,” Snape said briskly.

 

Malfoy’s face wrinkled with disgust. “I’m not playing a Muggle board game!”

 

“And just for that little comment, you will be playing at least three games of it before the week is up,” Snape said, his eyes narrowing. “Watch yourself, Draco. I will not tolerate the constant spew of anti-Muggle rhetoric.”

 

Malfoy groaned. “But don’t you have any proper board games? House-elves and Hinkypunks? Floo Fighters?”

 

“Do I look like I collect board games?” Snape asked icily. “As it is, I am rather surprised I even own this one. It shall simply have to do for now. You may set it up in the living room.”

 

Malfoy stalked out of the room and Harry followed him, carrying the Monopoly box. Snape didn’t come, he noticed, but Harry was almost certain that he was listening in on them from the kitchen.

 

“So what do we do with it, then?” Malfoy asked. He was nervously eyeing the box like it was a bomb, and Harry had to suppress a snort.

 

“We put it on the floor and set up the board, I suppose.” Harry raised an eyebrow. “Have you really never heard of Monopoly before?”

 

Malfoy scowled. “Well, my parents never exposed me to that kind of Muggle nonsense -”

 

“Draco!” Snape’s sharp voice shouted from the nearby kitchen. “What did I just say?”

 

“Er - that just slipped out.” Malfoy stared at the carpet. “No, I’ve not heard of it before.”

 

As Harry unfolded the board, he had a sudden, jarring realisation. Perhaps, the reason Malfoy was so hostile about all things Muggle wasn’t just because he was a nasty bigot - well, not entirely, at least. Maybe he was actually just out of his depth in Muggle Cokeworth, which he had to be completely unfamiliar with. Harry still remembered how terrified he’d looked in the supermarket, how he’d not even known about automatic doors…

 

And that unfamiliarity was making him defensive. Harry, who had experience of his own with being thrown into a world that he had no understanding of, couldn’t help but be the tiniest bit sympathetic, even if it was Malfoy.

 

“I’ve never actually played it before, either,” he admitted, hoping the confession would relax the other boy. “I know the rules, mostly, but my cousin never wanted anything to do with me, so I didn’t have a chance to play it until now. We can figure it all out together.”

 

Something that could have been a smile twitched around Malfoy’s lips as Harry finished setting up the board. “So what do you do, then?”

 

“Simple - you try and bankrupt the other players,” Harry explained. He pointed to the various properties at the edges of the board. “Each player starts off with 1500 in Monopoly money. You use that to buy up these properties on the side. If the other player lands on the property you own, they have to pay you rent. Oh, and if you get all of the properties of the same colour, you can put houses on them and that makes the rent go up.”

 

“Hmm.” Malfoy cocked his head thoughtfully. “That doesn’t sound too bad…”

 

“Well, then pick up a token and let’s get started,” Harry said, taking the small metal boat and placing it at the beginning. He also gathered the dice as Malfoy took the dog token and placed it down. Harry smiled to himself. He had always wanted to try this game and was excited to finally do so, even if he was playing with Malfoy, of all people.

 

Harry rolled a five, landing him on King’s Cross. He smiled to himself as he paid 200 to the bank. It seemed like a pretty appropriate place landing, he thought.

 

Malfoy eyed him suspiciously. “What are you doing? Are you giving yourself more money?”

 

“No, I’m paying for something,” Harry said with a roll of his eyes. Trust the Slytherin to assume he was cheating. “I own King’s Cross now.”

 

“So what does that mean?”

 

“If you land on it, you have to pay me, then,” Harry explained, placing the property card in front of him. He dropped the dice into Malfoy’s palm. “It’s your roll.”

 

Malfoy narrowed his eyes at the dice in his palm. “Muggles don’t have Self-Rolling Dice?”

 

“Nope, you have to do it yourself.” Harry scoffed. “I’m sure you’ll live.”

 

Malfoy glared at him and rolled the dice so aggressively that one flew under the sofa. After Harry craned his neck and retrieved it from the dusty depths, Malfoy re-rolled and got an eleven. After he moved his token forwards, he looked up at Harry and tilted his head to one side. “So I buy this?”

 

He shrugged. “If you want to.”

 

“I do. Here’s the money.” He handed Harry the cash, which he exchanged for a property card. Malfoy held it in his hand, looking rather thoughtful. “This isn’t so bad…”

 

“We told you so,” Harry said, trying not to sound too smug.

 

“At any rate, it’ll be dreadfully easy to win,” Malfoy drawled, jutting his chin out. “My father instilled excellent business sense in me, you know. This clearly isn’t that different, so you’re really at quite the disadvantage.”

 

“Oh really?” Harry said, raising an eyebrow. Competing against Malfoy - this was something he knew how to do. How different could a board game be to Quidditch, really? “You’re on, Malfoy.”

 


 

“Yes!” Harry crowed, sliding his token over to Strand. He finally had all three of the red properties!

 

“That is ridiculous!” Malfoy shouted, slamming his hand against the floor. “These dice must be rigged!”

 

“They weren’t rigged when you got your monopoly, were they?” Harry said smugly, taking the property card. “All my shiny new houses can be a nice surprise for when you get out of jail…”

 

“You shouldn’t get stuck there just for rolling three doubles,” Malfoy grumbled. “You made that rule up, you little cheat!”

 

“These rules say otherwise!” Harry said, waving the paper in Malfoy’s face. He felt borderline euphoric. “Now, are you getting out this turn?”

 

Malfoy rolled the dice and groaned loudly.

 

“You have to pay now,” Harry said, crossing his arms and grinning.

 

“I’m going to get you for this, Potter,” Malfoy growled, slamming the money down so hard it rattled Harry’s houses. “When I buy Mayfair, you’re going to be on your knees and begging for mercy.”

 

“Not if I get there first!” Harry said, picking up the dice and starting to shake them. He nearly threw them over his shoulder when someone cleared their throat from behind him, startling Harry. He glanced over his shoulder and saw Snape watching them closely, leaning against the open door.

 

“Enjoying yourselves?” he asked, clearly amused.

 

As Harry thought about the question, he had an abrupt realisation. He’d been in the living room playing Monopoly with Malfoy for almost two hours, and they actually hadn’t gotten into a fight. Well, that wasn’t entirely true; they had been shouting at each other constantly and saying how much they hated one another, but as far as Harry could tell that was just a side-effect of playing Monopoly. Anyway, Harry was giving it as good as he got, and being called a cheating, money-hungry git was a significant step up from having Malfoy jeer at him about his dead parents.

 

“For a Muggle game, it’s… not entirely unbearable,” Malfoy admitted reluctantly. Coming from him, that was rather high praise.

 

“Er - we aren’t in any trouble, are we?” Harry asked nervously, thinking of the large amounts of insults he and Malfoy had exchanged over the course of the evening.

 

“No.” Surprisingly, Snape’s lips twitched. “Although I must admit, if I had remembered how emotionally charged Monopoly can become I may have selected a different activity.”

 

A thoughtful expression crossed Malfoy’s face. “So Severus, you seem to know how our game works. You’ve played Monopoly before?”

 

“Why else would I own a Monopoly board?” Snape said.

 

“Can you do Monopoly with more than two people?” Malfoy asked Harry. He slowly nodded, unsure of where this was going as Malfoy turned back to Snape. “You should play with us sometime, then!”

 

Harry let out a shocked splutter that he sort of managed to turn into a hacking cough. Snape rolled his eyes at him, but other than that didn’t comment. “Perhaps I will, Draco.”

 

“Really?” Harry asked disbelievingly. While living with Snape he’d had to reconcile a lot of incredibly disturbing domestic images of his most-hated Potions Professor, but the thought of the man crouched down next to a Monopoly board and getting into bickering matches with Harry and Draco about whether or not the dice face had landed on four or five was just one step too far.

 

Snape raised an eyebrow. “Are you scared I’ll beat you?”

 

Harry started coughing again, before he finally managed to croak out, “No!”

 

“Perhaps tomorrow night, then.” Snape said, retreating back into the hallway outside. “By the time the two of you are finished, it will be far too late to start a new game.”

 

He began to walk down the hallway, and Harry noticed the creak of footsteps against the staircase. He quickly refocused his attention back on the game, and ended up landing on one of Malfoy’s railroads. He was suitably gleeful.

 

But in the end, Malfoy was the one to lose overall. His defeat came following a gloriously drawn-out process of mortgaging properties while Harry watched his pile of money grow larger and larger. Finally, Malfoy was bankrupted, and Harry mercilessly mocked him while the other boy flipped the board, causing the money to float through the air like confetti. It was intensely satisfying to beat him.

 

It was slightly less satisfying when a scowling Snape caught the tail end of this and made them clear up the mess and neatly repack the board before promptly sending them to bed early. Still, even that couldn’t quash Harry’s satisfaction. He may not like Malfoy, but he certainly liked beating him.

 

As they laid in the darkness of their room, Malfoy cleared his throat and propped himself up on one elbow. “Potter…those bruises you were so angry about. Where did they actually come from, anyway? Were you in some sort of fight? Is that why Severus was so upset?”

 

Harry sharply inhaled. He quickly tried to quash down the enjoyable time he’d had that evening, and did his best to resummon all the familiar animosity and harden his heart. “Look, Malfoy. We may have a truce or something now, but we certainly aren’t friends. I’m not having some kind of heart to heart with you.”

 

Malfoy huffed. “Fine. Whatever…”

 

There was the sound of rustling - presumably, he had turned over. Harry stared at the long shadows stretching across the ceiling and bit down on his lip until the coppery tang of blood flooded his mouth.

 

“I honestly don’t get why you wanted it secret,” Malfoy whispered. “I didn’t know what biking was. I just thought it was some embarrassing Muggle thing, and I was really going to leave it, but then Severus saw and was so upset about it, and - well, if I had known it was so serious, whatever it is, at the time…”

 

“You don’t know anything, Malfoy,” Harry bit out, cutting off the other boy’s babbling. “It was nothing.”

 

Stifling silence followed his statement, but Harry couldn’t fall asleep. He just knew that no matter how much he protested, Malfoy wasn’t going to let it go. It was simply a question of how long Harry could push things off until Malfoy finally put it all together.

To be continued...
Unusual Common Ground by aspionage

Over the course of the next few days, Harry, Snape and Malfoy settled into something of a routine. Snape, unfortunately, was a man of his word, and made good on his promise to force Harry and Malfoy into proximity whenever he possibly could.

 

After breakfast, Harry and Malfoy would make their way upstairs to Snape’s laboratory, where they would be put to work either cleaning equipment or fulfilling various disgusting tasks, like gutting toads or extracting slug slime. After about an hour or two of this, Harry would be dismissed for a precious bit of solitude while Malfoy remained behind with Snape. He assumed the two of them brewed during that time, considering the conversations they’d have at lunchtime about Potions which inevitably went over Harry’s head.

 

Following lunch, Harry and Malfoy would do homework together at the kitchen table under Snape’s supervision. Harry found this a little less unpleasant than it had been before he’d run away, since Snape didn’t spend the entire time constantly criticising what Harry put out like he used to. Granted, he was still rather harsh in his notes for improvement, but there were now complementary elements when he gave Harry feedback.

 

Malfoy would then do as he pleased for the remainder of the afternoon while Harry and Snape spent some time together. They tended to spend it playing chess for a little bit before cooking dinner. They’d normally talk, too - occasionally about the Dursleys, mostly about other matters. Snape, of course, was far more knowledgeable about the magical world than Harry was, and seemed to realise he had a lot of unanswered questions because of the way Harry had been raised. He taught Harry about all sorts of things, like the enchantments he used in the fridge instead of electricity to keep food cool, or the magical schools people from foreign countries attended. It was all really rather fascinating.

 

But the best conversations of all were the ones where Snape would open up about Harry’s mother. It was only small details, really, such as Lily’s proficiency in Potions and brewing, or her favourite flower - daffodils - or her tendency to hum while she worked. Snape was always strangely apologetic for the limited things he found himself able to speak of, but it didn’t bother Harry in the slightest. In fact, he thought he preferred these little quirks and characteristics of his mother’s to any larger stories, since they made her feel like more of a real person, and allowed Harry to picture her more clearly in his mind’s eye. It was more than he’d ever hoped to get, too.

 

Following dinner, Snape would always make Harry and Malfoy spend even more time together over an activity. Most of the time Snape would leave the two of them to it on their own, although he normally remained nearby, either in the kitchen or in the living room, reading a book of some sort, ready to intervene if necessary. Malfoy had continued to beg Snape to join them for the promised game of Monopoly, but he had so far evaded them. Harry was a bit worried about what that would be like, so he didn’t push it, even though chess games were fairly decent with Snape. He just didn’t know how things would be when Malfoy was added into the mix.

 

Harry and Malfoy were quite evenly matched in whatever they played, be it Monopoly, Exploding Snap, Wizard’s Chess or the various card games they tried out. Because both of them were so terribly competitive, it resulted in a lot of yelling and insults, much to Snape’s irritation. He would occasionally shout reprimands from the other room when things got too heated, and even went so far as assigning lines when Harry let out an impressive string of expletives after a particularly narrow victory of Malfoy’s. He was forced to copy out the phrase ‘I will use appropriate vocabulary befitting of my education level instead of swearing like an ill-tempered sailor’ for the entire next morning until his hand was black with ink, and was once again threatened with an experience with the Soaping Spell.

 

Even though they were fighting viciously during the evening games, Harry and Malfoy’s usual behaviour towards each other was changing. Somehow, the ability to get out their general dislike of one another through Snape’s post-dinner activities was a key tool that allowed Malfoy and Harry to remain mostly civil with one another during the rest of the day, since they knew their frustrations could be aired later on. That newfound civility even allowed for the two of them to have actual conversations. Granted, those conversations were just stilted comments about the weather or occasional questions about homework but still, it was progress.

 

It wasn’t all smooth sailing, though. Harry and Malfoy almost never got a break from one another, since they were forced together at all hours during the day and had to share a room at night. Such close proximity magnified the irritating qualities that Malfoy possessed in spades, and he was truly doing Harry’s head in. Harry presumed that the reverse was true for Malfoy, so the two of them still had their fair share of arguments, and they were having one on the fifth morning after Harry had punched Malfoy.

 

“I don’t see why you have to do so much bloody primping!” Harry hissed as they walked down the stairs. “I’m sick of you hogging the loo all morning!”

 

Malfoy raised his nose into the air. “Some of us actually care about our appearance, scarhead. You wouldn't understand. I doubt you've ever seen a comb before, judging by the state of your hair…”

 

“At least I don’t drown my hair in gel!” Harry retorted. “It’s like you take a bath in the stuff or something!”

 

“Oh, shut up, Potter!” Malfoy snapped.

 

Harry glowered at him. "Git."

 

"Tosser."

 

"Knobhead."

 

“Well, good morning to the two of you as well,” Snape said pointedly as they entered the kitchen. He fixed them with a withering look that promised trouble if their bickering continued. Malfoy and Harry shot one last glare at each other before sitting down for breakfast. Harry, who had managed to get the last word, started in on his toast with immense satisfaction.

 

“I have a new rule,” Snape announced.

 

Malfoy and Harry groaned simultaneously; even if they had nothing in common and couldn’t stand one another, they were at least united in their dislike of Snape’s irritating attempts to make them get on.

 

“This surnames business certainly isn’t helping with the animosity between the two of you,” he said, spreading butter across his toast. “I insist you stop.”

 

“Oh, that’s so stupid!” Malfoy snapped.

 

Snape’s eyes flashed with something dangerous. “I beg your pardon?”

 

Malfoy’s cheeks flushed pink. “Er - sorry.”

 

“We do live together, gentlemen,” Snape said tersely. “Perhaps you should start behaving accordingly and refer to each other as Harry and Draco.”

 

“I don’t see why I have to call him Harry when you don’t even do that half the time!” Draco protested. “It’s a little hypocritical, don’t you think?”

 

Snape paused for a moment, expression thoughtful. “I suppose I ought to lead by example, then. Very well. Harry, I will try harder to refer to you by your first name while you live here.” He grimaced slightly, like he’d just tasted something sour. “And since Draco does it, I suppose you may call me Severus.”

 

Harry choked on his water and started coughing and spluttering, his eyes burning. Snape had not just suggested that!

 

“Do try not to drown yourself in my kitchen, please,” he commented snidely, wrinkling his nose at Harry.

 

“I - I don’t think I call you that,” Harry gasped through a final few coughs. “It’s too weird!”

 

“As long as you don’t do it publicly at Hogwarts, I see no issue with it,” Snape said, lacing his fingers together.

 

“But it just feels - I don’t know, disrespectful!”

 

Snape’s eyebrows rose. “That hasn’t been a conflict you’ve particularly struggled with in the past, has it?”

 

Harry looked away, pressing his lips together. “I really don’t know if I can do that.”

 

Snape sighed. “At least make something of an effort and see how you feel, please?” Harry reluctantly nodded his assent. “I do, however, insist upon you and Draco calling each other by your first names.”

 

“I don’t want to,” Harry bit out.

 

“And I don’t care,” Snape said icily. “Both of you will do it. Unless you want me to come up with a punishment suitable for your disobedience, of course? No? I didn’t think so.”

 

Harry moodily picked at his breakfast after that, his mood only worsening when Snape not-so-subtly tapped the stretch of table next to Harry’s plate. He'd taken to doing that these last few days when Harry stopped eating and started staring off pensively during meals. It was a subtle enough sign that Malfoy wouldn’t pick up on it, at least, but one that obviously meant he wanted Harry to eat more. He resented that, since it felt far too much like micromanaging to him, but Harry was still rather reluctant to push on the food issue so he did his best to brush the annoyance off. He’d drastically prefer someone who was too obsessed with him eating than being stuck with relatives who didn’t feed Harry at all, anyway…

 

While all of this was happening, Malfoy was doing the thing he did best - complaining.

 

“I just wish I could fly,” he sighed melodramatically, casting a glance towards the garden. “I feel utterly chained, Severus.”

 

Harry rolled his eyes. It looked like Snape was barely restraining himself from doing the same. “Well, even if you cannot fly at the moment, perhaps it would be good for the two of you to get outside and take some exercise. It has stopped raining at last, after all.”

 

Harry’s shoulders slumped. “Is there anything specific you want done in the garden, sir? I think I’ve finished the weeding…”

 

“You are utterly obsessed with gardening, Potter!” Malfoy said, giving him a scornful look. “I certainly won’t be mucking about in the dirt with you -”

 

“No one is gardening,” Snape said, loudly speaking over Malfoy. “I think the two of you have been punished enough by now, unless you decide to start fighting one another again. Or if you continually use each other’s surnames, Draco.”

 

No more cauldrons. That was a relief. Still, Harry frowned. “What are we doing out there, then? Don’t you want work done, or…”

 

Snape gave him a slightly incredulous look. “Can the two of you seriously not find a way to occupy your time for a mere few hours without my input?”

 

Harry didn’t respond immediately, since he certainly couldn’t think of a single thing he could spend a few hours doing with Malfoy in the garden that wouldn’t result in them eventually killing one another. After the silence had stretched on for too long, Snape very loudly exhaled. “I am quite certain you two shall be the death of me. I’ll attempt to find something for you to do, I suppose… Draco, can you go upstairs and stir the Ocular Serum? Five counter clockwise, Halifax method.”

 

Draco nodded and headed upstairs. Snape turned to Harry and crooked a finger. “Come with me.”

 

Harry followed Snape as he made his way through the garden and towards the shed at the back. Even during his time gardening during the first week, Harry had never had occasion to enter it, since he was fairly certain the door had rusted itself shut.

 

“Perhaps you can attempt to teach Draco the rules of football?” Snape suggested, running his wand along the shed door.

 

Harry wrinkled his nose. “He’s never going to agree to that. Football’s a Muggle sport, he’ll hate it!”

 

“I don’t believe I am giving him a choice in the matter.” Snape cast a glance over his shoulder towards the house. “I am simply asking you to do your best to work with his reticence, as I am not going to be here to supervise.”

 

“Oh?” Harry said nervously.

 

“I am expecting company,” Snape said. “I will just be in the living room if there are any significant problems, but I was hoping I could simply ask you to be patient with him for a few hours this morning.”

 

“Yeah, sure.” Harry shrugged. He supposed that wouldn’t be too unbearable. Ever since he’d realised Malfoy got so nasty because he just didn’t understand Muggles after years of being lied to about them, Harry did his best to just grit his teeth and ignore Malfoy’s occasional rude comments about Muggle things being stupid or below his notice. After all, once he got into the groove of a game, he normally forgot to be derisive. He’d probably grumble a little but stop complaining once they actually started playing football, Harry thought. Besides, Harry knew Snape had some sort of long-term plan to get Malfoy to stop being so negative about Muggles and Muggleborns, so Harry was more than happy to leave the responsibility of sorting Malfoy out on his plate.

 

“I’m not making any promises if he starts calling people Mudbloods, though,” Harry warned.

 

“And I would not expect you to,” Snape said, doing something to the shed door that made it briefly glow gold. “You are to fetch me if he says that word. I will not tolerate it.”

 

“Okay.” Harry still found it rather shocking when Snape actually punished Malfoy. After two years of him refusing to ever punish a Slytherin for misbehaving, it always felt really out of character. Still, Snape meant business when it came to Malfoy now. He’d used the Soaping Spell on Malfoy when he’d said ‘Mudblood’ on Harry’s second day at Spinner’s End, so there was no reason why he wouldn’t use it on Malfoy again.

 

Of course, Harry didn’t really expect to need to get Snape for anything that morning. Malfoy hadn’t actually said that horrid word for a while, even if he was still making slightly snide comments about Muggles or Muggleborns. Harry supposed in Malfoy’s own way, that counted as progress.

 

Snape wrenched open the shed door with a visible struggle. A great cloud of dust exploded out. Harry covered his mouth as he coughed, eyes watering as the dirt stung them. Snape took one look at the cluttered, neglected shed interior and shook his head disapprovingly. "Accio football."

 

A few moments later, a deflated, dirty football slowly rolled its way out of the shadows of the shed and came to a stop at Snape's foot. It was so airless that it had completely caved in on itself, and was more concave than round.

 

"That is the most depressing football I've ever seen," Harry said.

 

"Yes, it is rather pathetic." Snape examined it with visible distaste. "It was gifted to me as a child, I believe, and was never used.”

 

Harry still had his doubts that Snape had actually ever been a child at all, even though he had to have been to know Harry's mother. Harry tried picturing it but ended up with the slightly creepy mental image of a tiny version of the current Snape scowling up at him and immediately banished the thought from his mind’s eye.

 

"Well, it definitely looks like it's been sitting in a shed for like fifty years,” Harry said.

 

"Fifty years?" Snape's eyebrows rose. "Precisely how old do you think I am?!"

 

Harry shrugged, realising that any number he guessed would probably come off as rude. Snape obviously put this together and shook his head. “You are aware I am the same as your mother. She died at the age of twenty-one, twelve years ago. I would like to think you are capable of the basic arithmetic required to calculate my age with that information, although I fear I am being overly optimistic about your mathematical ability.”

 

“I can add twenty-one and twelve!” Harry said indignantly.

 

“Congratulations,” Snape said dryly. He smirked as he jabbed his wand, and the football reinflated back into a spherical shape. “While this football has not lasted half a century, I will concede that it is rather old, and outdates your thirteen years at the very least. It should work for now, but I’ll buy you a new one the next time I go out.”

 

“You don’t have to do that,” Harry said quickly.

 

"It is not as though I'm buying you a signed football from a premier league club." Snape rolled his eyes. "I doubt it would cost me more than five pounds, a sum I can easily afford.”

 

Harry was making his mind up about whether or not he should continue arguing, but Malfoy emerged from the house moments later and effectively put an end to the discussion. He noticed the football sitting on the ground and screwed up his face. “Severus -”

 

“You have only just finished being punished, and I am assuming you would rather not earn yourself yet another day of dissecting dragon eyeballs?” Snape said, crossing his arms. “Then I think you will find it in yourself to, as the Muggles say, suck it up.”

 

He stalked into the house without another word, leaving Harry and Malfoy alone with the football. Malfoy stared at it with no small amount of distaste. “Well, I suppose this is your area of expertise, Pot - Harry.” 

 

He drew out Harry’s name for over two seconds, his reluctance obvious.

 

“He can’t hear you,” Harry pointed out. “Just call me Potter, I really don’t care.”

 

“This is Severus,” Malfoy said, glancing towards the back door. “I really wouldn’t put it past him to have some sort of Eavesdropping Charm that tells him when we say the wrong names.”

 

Harry grimaced. “Yeah, you might have a point.”

 

Malfoy tentatively reached one foot out, as if to tap the football with it, before abruptly jerking it back. “So what is this thing, then? Some sort of weird, black and white quaffle?”

 

“Er - actually, I suppose it is,” Harry said. Perhaps if he could explain things in Quidditch terms, Malfoy might be a bit more receptive. “You’re only allowed to touch it with your feet, though. That’s why they call it football.”

 

“That’s a stupid way to play a game.” Malfoy scowled, and Harry took a deep breath, remembering Snape’s request for him to be patient.

 

“Look, it’s just the way it’s played. And we can’t actually play football, anyway, there’s only two of us,” Harry said. “It’s done in teams. Like Quidditch is. And you need a goal, and I don’t think Snape’s got one of those buried in his shed.”

 

“You should try and call him Severus, really,” Malfoy commented.

 

Harry made a face. “Ugh, why?”

 

“Because it would annoy him.” Malfoy smirked. “Now, what do we do with that thing?”

 

Harry shrugged. “Kick it, I suppose.”

 

Malfoy deftly darted out and kicked the football so it glanced off Harry’s shoulder and smacked into the shed wall with a loud thud. He glowered at the other boy. “Oi!”

 

“You didn’t say where I had to kick it,” Malfoy said innocently, leaning against the fence and looking rather smug. This made him the perfect target for Harry to easily kick the football back into Malfoy’s stomach as hard as he possibly could. Malfoy grunted as the football smacked into him and made a rude hand gesture at Harry, too winded to shout abuse at him.

 

“Come on, you deserved that!” Harry laughed.

 

“I’ll show you deserved,” Malfoy growled, making a beeline for the football. Harry started racing him to it.

 

What followed was a rather prolonged game that did not follow any of the regular rules of football. It just consisted of Malfoy and Harry struggling to gain control of the football so they could kick it at each other as hard as they possibly could. Harry was fairly certain this wasn’t what Snape had wanted them to do, but repeatedly kicking a football at Malfoy was incredibly fun, even if it involved also getting whacked around himself when Malfoy managed to get the ball from him.

 

Eventually, they both ended up rather worse for wear. Malfoy had scraped his hands while attempting to dive for the football, while Harry had ripped open the knee of his jeans and was bleeding slightly. Their activities were put to an abrupt end when Malfoy kicked the ball into Harry’s face, and the impact threw his glasses off.

 

“Hey!” he shouted, feeling around in the glass with one hand and rubbing the sting out of his nose with the other. “Time out, okay? Don’t hit it at me while I can’t see -”

 

“I’m not going to kick a ball into your face when you’re blind!” Malfoy said exasperatedly.

 

Harry looked up and did the best attempt at a sceptical look he could manage with his throbbing face. “Yeah, right, Malf - er, Draco.”

 

“I’m not that much of a dickhead!” His features were fuzzy at best, but Harry was almost certain Malfoy had just rolled his eyes. “Besides, it takes all the fun out of it if you can’t fight back! Well, the ball’s gone over the fence, anyway. Here, I found your glasses.”

 

He stepped forward, and placed them into Harry’s palm. He tried to put them on his face, but groaned as they came apart in his hands. The bridge had completely snapped. “Great, they’re broken again.” He sighed. “Do you know where Snape keeps the sellotape?”

 

“Why on earth would you use Spellotape for glasses?” Malfoy asked, nonplussed. “I didn’t realise those were enchanted!”

 

“No, I meant regular Muggle tape,” Harry said, trying and failing to balance the broken glasses on his face before giving up and accepting his new, blurrier world view.

 

Malfoy scoffed. “What would you use that for? Just ask Severus to fix them!”

 

“Oh. Right.” Harry often forgot how easy it was to repair things with magic. Still, the idea didn’t really appeal to Harry, since it would involve asking Snape to do something for him. He felt remarkably nervous.

 

“Maybe don’t tell Severus we were kicking that football at each other, though,” Malfoy said hesitantly.

 

“I wasn’t going to!” Harry said indignantly. “I’m not thick! I don’t want him to flip out at us again either, you know.”

 

“Just checking!” Malfoy held his hands up. “Because if I have to go through another one of his bloody lectures I will get my wand and shoot a Killing Curse at myself.”

 

“Do me a favour and take me out, too, before you finish yourself off.”

 

“It wouldn’t even work on you, scarhead.”

 

“Since when am I immune to all Killing Curses?” Harry asked exasperatedly.

 

“What, have you tested it out? You weren’t meant to be immune to the first one!”

 

“Kill me with something else, then,” Harry suggested. “A meat cleaver would probably still work.”

 

“Don’t give me inspiration. You’re an annoying git, and I know where you sleep.”

 

“Creepy, murdery Slytherins,” Harry muttered, trying and failing yet again to sort his glasses out. He didn’t particularly enjoy sitting around blind while Malfoy was plotting his imminent death.

 

Malfoy craned his neck. “One of us should probably go through that gate to get the football back.”

 

Harry realised it must have rolled into Maureen’s garden. “I can’t go over there again. Snape’ll kill me.”

 

“Right, Black’s got it out for you or something, hasn’t he?” Malfoy sighed dramatically. “Fine. I’ll do it, then…”

 

He walked over to the gate, muttering something about Muggles that sounded vaguely insulting which Harry chose to ignore. He watched Malfoy’s blurry figure move across Maureen’s garden and pick up the football, only to jerk back suddenly and look in the direction of the house.

 

“Hello, love!” Maureen’s voice called. “Is everything alright?”

 

Malfoy’s shoulders visibly tensed. “My apologies. We just kicked our ball over your fence, Mrs - er…”

 

“Oh, just call me Maureen!” she said pleasantly. Harry watched over the fence, fingers crossed, hoping Malfoy wouldn’t say anything explicitly rude as Maureen headed out into the garden. “You’re that nephew of Severus’, aren’t you! He told me a little about you, what was your name again?”

 

“Draco,” he said stiffly.

 

“Ah, I knew it was something like that!” Maureen said. “I must admit, it was a right shock. I hadn’t a clue Severus had a half-sister, and I’ve been living next door to the Snapes for coming up on forty years! You must come over for tea some time, you and that little friend of yours, Harry…”

 

She smiled at Harry, who was trying not to look too visibly horrified that she’d just referred to him and Malfoy as friends. 

 

“Well, I can’t at the minute,” Malfoy said through gritted teeth, backing towards the gate.

 

“Of course, you’re in the middle of your game!” Maureen said, gesturing towards the fence. “Well, you boys have fun!”

 

Harry waved to her over the fence as she went back into the house. She waved back while Malfoy scurried away before turning back into her house.

 

Harry’s shoulders slumped with relief as Maureen shut her door while Malfoy hurried back into the garden, football under his arm. Crisis averted.

 

Malfoy glared at Harry. “Don’t look at me like that! I’m not going to shout abuse at Severus’ elderly neighbour, even if she is a Muggle…”

 

“Hey, I never said anything.”

 

Still, Harry was a little surprised, even if he refused to admit it. The Malfoy he knew really wouldn’t have had it in him to be polite to a Muggle, even a particularly kind one.

 

Things really were changing.

 

Harry frowned, remembering what Maureen had just said. "Since when is your mum Snape's half-sister?"

 

"She's not." Malfoy pulled a face. "Merlin, imagine! No, it was just a convenient lie for me to be his nephew."

 

"Oh. That makes sense, I guess."

 

Malfoy cocked his head thoughtfully. “She’s the one who told you Severus and your mother were friends, wasn’t she?”

 

“Er - yeah.” Harry flipped his glasses over in his hands. He’d completely forgotten that Malfoy had been in the kitchen the day he’d shouted at Snape for not telling him anything about Lily, since Harry had been a bit preoccupied with the business of hating Snape. That was a bit embarrassing…

 

“You know, I really don’t think it was right of Severus to keep something like that from you,” Malfoy declared.

 

Harry’s jaw dropped. “Are you serious?”

 

“Of course!” Malfoy put his hands on his hips. “I mean, she is dead after all. I really think you have the right to know more about her, since I doubt you remember. He should have said something - it’s the right thing to do.”

 

“Wow.” Harry would have never in a million years expected Malfoy to take his side on something, and it was oddly touching. He felt a layer of tension that had been sitting between the two of them suddenly melt away.

 

“Thanks, Draco.” For the first time, that name came naturally. Maybe Snape had a point with this first names business; it did feel a bit more friendly. Perhaps Harry could make a more enthusiastic attempt with it all.

 

“Well, it’s just the decent thing for a person to do, isn’t it?” Draco frowned. “Especially if you didn’t know anything about her. Why didn’t you, by the way? I thought you lived with your mum’s Muggle sister or something?”

 

Shockingly, that question didn’t bother Harry as much as he’d expect it to. “Erm… she and Aunt Petunia didn’t really get on. She wouldn’t talk about my mum all that much.” Ever, Harry gloomily added to himself.

 

“That’s a little mean of her,” Draco commented.

 

“Yeah, her and I don’t really get on, either.” Since Harry was almost certain Draco could already guess that from the fact that his relatives had kicked him out a few weeks ago, he didn’t really mind saying that. Draco could put that together on his own, anyway.

 

“Well, if it makes you feel any better, I know all about aunts you don’t quite get on with,” Draco muttered darkly. He didn’t expand any further, but Harry didn’t dare to ask for more detail, as curious as he was. This was the second time he’d heard mention of Draco’s mysterious aunt who the Malfoys didn’t speak to. Unfortunately, Harry couldn’t bring himself to pry. He thought asking about her would open him up to potential questions about Aunt Petunia, and that wasn’t a sacrifice Harry was willing to make to satiate his curiosity.

 

“We should probably find Severus to fix your glasses now,” Draco said, putting the football on the ground.

 

Harry winced. “He said to me he has company, though.”

 

“So what?” Draco asked. “It takes about thirty seconds.”

 

“But I really shouldn’t bother him -”

 

“You’re blind, Potter!” Draco tutted. “Just go and ask, come on…”

 

He started briskly walking in the direction of the kitchen door and Harry reluctantly followed, since Draco would think it was weird if he kept arguing.

 

“It would be so much easier if you could just fix it yourself,” Draco grumbled. “But no, Severus had to go and ban both of us from using our wands…”

 

“Well, it is illegal,” Harry pointed out. He tripped over the step up from the garden to the kitchen before barely catching himself on the counter.

 

“Oh, it’s one of those bendy laws,” Draco said dismissively, heading in the direction of the living room. Harry, who had an Underage Magic warning on his record that proved it wasn’t a bendy law whatsoever, simply tutted to himself before struggling through the hallway. Draco knocked on the living room door and pushed it open without waiting for a response.

 

“Yes?” Snape said tersely. Harry couldn’t see him from the angle he was standing at in the hallway.

 

“Pot - um, Harry broke his glasses,” Draco explained.

 

Snape sighed loudly. “Give them to me.”

 

Draco moved to one side, revealing the blurry figure of Snape heading towards the doorway. He outstretched his hand, and Harry placed his broken glasses into them. “Oculus reparo.” 

 

He handed them back, good as new, and Harry placed them onto his face, an odd feeling in his chest. Aunt Petunia would without fail shout at Harry for breaking his glasses, despite the fact that Dudley was almost always the one to break them, not him. It was strange to have someone around who didn’t have a go at Harry about it.

 

Of course, Harry’s newly cleared vision still revealed a rather disapproving-looking Snape. His eyes darted from Draco’s scraped palms to Harry’s bloodied knee. “What on earth have you two been doing out there?”

 

“Football,” Harry said nonchalantly.

 

Snape did not look entirely impressed by this answer and made an exasperated sort of noise, but before he could comment further, a voice behind him said, “Oh, boys will be boys, Severus!”

 

Harry gasped - he recognised that voice! He looked past Snape’s shoulder and saw Professor McGonagall, sitting with a cup of tea and smiling slightly. “Good morning, Mr Potter, Mr Malfoy.”

 

“Hello, Professor,” Draco said with a nod.

 

Harry did his best to wipe the shocked look off his face. “Er - hi.”

 

“I trust you’re well?” she inquired, setting her teacup down.

 

“Um. Yeah?” Harry said stupidly. He was still reeling from the fact that Professor McGonagall was even here. Adjusting to the idea of spending time with Professor Snape outside of Hogwarts had been difficult enough, but the sudden appearance of his Head of House during the summer was just one step too far. Harry’s brain had seemingly overloaded.

 

“Well, we’re in the middle of something right now,” Snape said pointedly. “Do try not to kill each other in the next twenty minutes, please?”

 

“Alright. Goodbye Severus, Professor McGonagall.” Draco said, inclining his head.

 

“Bye, professor,” Harry added, awkwardly sidling away as Snape firmly shut the door. Draco started heading back into the garden, and Harry followed him closely.

 

“What do you think she was doing here?” he asked.

 

“Oh, she visits every now and then,” Draco said with a shrug. “Her and Severus are colleagues, you realise. It makes sense that they’re friendly.”

 

Harry supposed that was reasonable, but it still weirded him out a little. He didn’t often think about Snape or McGonagall and the various friendships they may or may not have. Harry suddenly found himself wondering what McGonagall got up to during the summers, then…

 

Harry headed over to the football and picked it up, and spun around to face Draco. “Let’s get started, then. You owe me for those broken glasses.”

 

Draco actually smiled before bracing himself for battle.

 


 

By the time lunch came around, Harry was absolutely ravenous. The morning of rather strenuous physical activity had left him starving, and he practically inhaled his sandwich. As usual, Snape was looking at Harry out of the corner of his eye like his dining habits were causing him physical pain, so Harry made a little bit of an effort to slow down. Not for Snape’s benefit, obviously. He was just a bit sick of being stared at while during meals, whether it was because he wasn’t eating enough or was eating too quickly.

 

“When you two have finished, you should change,” Snape said, eyeing their muddy clothes with a reasonable amount of distaste. “We’re going out.”

 

“Where?” Draco asked. Judging by the tension in his shoulders, he was anticipating it being something Muggle.

 

“To buy you two some Muggle clothes,” Snape said, flicking his wand at his plate so it began to wash itself in the sink.

 

Draco made a disgusted face. “No, thank you.”

 

“I’m sorry, I don’t recall asking you,” Snape said, arching an eyebrow. “If you are to travel out into the Muggle world - which you will be doing before this summer concludes - would you not prefer to wear something that hasn’t been lent to you by Harry?”

 

“I suppose,” Draco grumbled.

 

“Then you will come with Harry and I,” Snape said. “Change out of your robes and wear the Muggle clothes Harry gave you last time.”

 

He sighed and exited the kitchen, leaving Harry alone with Snape, feeling rather conflicted.

 

“Er - I have Muggle clothes,” he pointed out. 

 

“Yes,” Snape said with a sneer, eyeing Harry’s oversized shirt with no small amount of distaste. “Unless those rags are yet another abominable teenage fashion fad that I cannot get my head around, I think you are in sore need of some new ones.”

 

Harry opened his mouth, then closed it again. He’d almost rejected the idea on principle, but it would be nice to be free of Dudley’s horrid, oversized hand-me-downs that he had to roll up dozens of times to make even vaguely fit.

 

Truth be told, the idea of buying himself new Muggle clothes had never really occurred to Harry. Hagrid and Mrs Weasley had pretty much taken care of the wizarding side of things the last two years when they’d taken him into Diagon Alley, and Aunt Petunia normally threw a pair of Dudley’s old clothes into Harry’s room whenever what he was wearing started to disintegrate. Even though Harry had money of his own now, he’d never bothered to get it changed so he could buy something that actually fit him.

 

Which reminded him. “Sir?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“We need to go to Gringotts or something first,” Harry said.

 

Snape gave him a confused look. “Why on earth would we need to do that?”

 

“None of my money is converted into Muggle money,” Harry explained. “The shop vendors obviously won’t take it -”

 

“There is no need to worry about it,” Snape said, waving a hand dismissively. “It has all been taken care of.”

 

“What?”

 

“It’s none of your concern, Harry,” he said. “We can go straight to the high street - money is no issue.”

 

“But… but how -”

 

Harry abruptly cut himself off as Draco came thundering back down the stairs, dressed in the shrunken set of Muggle clothing he had been given on the day of the last disastrous shopping trip.

 

“Change and meet us down here,” Snape ordered Harry. As he walked past Draco, he heard Snape say, “Now, Draco, there won’t be any little slips like last time, will there?”

 

“No,” Draco said somewhat reluctantly as Harry headed up the stairs, and the conversation grew muffled.

 

After changing out of his muddy clothes, Harry returned downstairs to meet Snape and a rather chastised-looking Draco before the three of them left the house to begin the journey to the high street. Like the time they’d gone to Tesco, they walked. After all, as far as Harry could tell, Snape didn’t own a car, and he wasn’t entirely sure if you could Apparate two people with you. It was probably too much effort if your location wasn’t really all that far.

 

They quickly reached the actual high street, which was incredibly run-down. Half of the storefronts were abandoned and emblazoned with crude graffiti, and the ones that weren’t were still a little seedy and neglected. The place stank from a nasty combination of overflowing bins and a haze of stale smoke. Judging by the way that Snape was glaring at the clumps of teenagers lurking in corners and alleyways and the earthy undertone of the haze in the air, they weren’t just smoking cigarettes.

 

“So this is the Muggle world?” Draco asked in a low voice, sidestepping a broken beer bottle and wrinkling his nose.

 

“I’d consider it more akin to the Knockturn Alley of the Muggle world,” Snape explained. “Now, Harry. Any preferences for where you’d like to buy your clothes?”

 

Despite that being a rather simple question, Harry was left reeling. “I - what?”

 

“Your clothes?” Snape gestured to the row of shops and gave Harry a confused look. “Cokeworth isn’t exactly the fashion capital of Britain, but they have most of the major high street brands…”

 

Unfortunately for Harry, who had literally never been clothes shopping in his life apart from at Madam Malkins, he had no clue about where to go. There seemed to be about fifty different stores, all with different styles, and of course different prices… Snape said arrangements had been made to pay, but Harry should still be economical! He didn’t have a clue what stores would be cheapest!

 

“Harry?” Snape prompted.

 

“Er - what charity shops do they have here?” he managed eventually.

 

“Charity shops?” Snape asked blankly.

 

“Er - you know, the ones who sell second-hand stuff for -”

 

“I know what a charity shop is, I’m not stupid,” Snape spat. For some reason, his expression had darkened significantly, and Harry shrank away from him slightly. “Seeing as you can’t make a reasonable decision, follow me."

 

Snape stalked off at a breakneck pace and into a nearby shop, nearly knocking over a terrified employee in the process. Draco turned to Harry and gave him a bemused look. “What’s his problem? Did you offend him or something?”

 

“I don’t think so?” Harry whispered, slightly resenting Draco’s automatic assumption that this was somehow his fault.

 

Snape stopped in front of a series of plain t-shirts and held up a red one. “Do you like this?”

 

“Yes?” Harry said.

 

Snape scowled. “Is that a statement or a question?”

 

“Er - a statement.”

 

“Good. We’ll be getting that, then.”

 

Snape proceeded to pick up a series of different items of clothing before asking Harry and occasionally Draco if they liked them or not. Harry tended to say yes to everything (something Snape quickly caught onto, judging by the way his nostrils flared every time he agreed to something) while Draco was a bit more picky with his clothing selections. They must have spent over an hour in there, after which Harry ended up with a sizable pile of clothes, ranging from pyjamas to jeans to even underwear, to Harry’s complete embarrassment. He didn’t think he’d owned this much clothing in his life, even hand-me-downs.

 

“Sir,” he said in a small voice. “I really don’t need all this stuff…”

 

Snape shot him a stormy glare. “I don’t particularly trust you to know what you need.”

 

“But this is surely going to be expensive -”

 

“And as I said, arrangements have been made,” Snape said shortly, and Harry was finally cowed into silence.

 

Luckily, Snape only picked up a few more items before they at last made their way over to the checkout. Harry’s eyes practically goggled at the price as the cashier finished ringing up their items - it was in the hundreds of pounds! - but this didn’t seem to faze Snape, who handed over a wad of cash without so much as a second thought. As he did so, Harry noticed Draco staring at the number on the register with a puzzled frown and realised with a jolt that he probably had no concept of Muggle money and expense, since wizarding currency worked so differently. That was really weird…

 

As they traipsed out of the shop, all weighed down by heavy bags of clothes, Snape gave them a thoughtful look before turning into a nearby Sports Direct. Inside, he retrieved a new pair of trainers for Harry, whose shoes were two sizes too small, pinched horribly and leaked in puddles because they were full of holes. He then picked up the aforementioned football.

 

Harry hung back, feeling completely overwhelmed. This was all just too much for him.

 

After that too was paid for, Snape obscured their bags with his body so he could shrink some down. Once he was done, he asked, “shall we head back, or are there any other shops either of you are interested in visiting?”

 

“I’m fine,” Draco said with a shrug.

 

“Harry?” Snape asked, looking at him pointedly.

 

“Er - yeah. I’m done.” Harry still wouldn’t have known where to go anyway.

 

As the three of them set out on the journey home, Harry couldn’t help but get stuck on the issue of the money. Snape had said it was taken care of…but what kind of person made the unilateral decision to spend so much of another person’s money? But then, Harry realised, he had also been spending money on Draco. That raised a second and rather concerning question for Harry - what if Snape was spending his own money?

 

“Sir,” Harry began, even though part of him knew it was a bad idea.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Where did the money for this come from?”

 

“Are you a parrot?” Snape inquired icily. “This seems to be the fiftieth time today you have raised that very question and for the fiftieth time, I tell you it has been taken care of!”

 

“It’s just, see, the money in my vault has to last until I’m of age,” Harry said hesitantly. “I don’t think I can really be spending so much of it and stuff…”

 

Snape’s eyes narrowed. “It did not come out of your vaults.”

 

“So - so you paid for it?” Harry asked, horrified. “You can’t do that!”

 

“Are you suggesting I am too poor to provide for the wards under my care?” Snape demanded, his face flashing with fury.

 

“What? No!” Harry said indignantly. “You’re twisting my words!”

 

“What, then?” Snape asked irately. “What exactly is the issue?”

 

“Just - you shouldn’t have to!” Harry said. “I already had perfectly good clothes -”

 

“Perfectly good?” Snape repeated disbelievingly. “You look at that pile of rags and think it’s perfectly good?” 

 

“I managed!” Harry said defensively. His clothes had always been an acute area of embarrassment for him, and it almost felt like Snape was judging him over it at that moment…

 

“Well, now you don’t have to manage.”

 

“At least let me pay you back -”

 

“You will do no such thing!” Snape hissed, spinning around to face Harry. He somehow seemed a lot taller than usual. “What happened to your precious vaults that so desperately need to be preserved, hmm?”

 

“Well, it’s better than spending your money!” Harry shouted as they approached Snape’s house.

 

“You are ridiculous!” Snape growled, jamming the key into the door lock and wrenching it open with such force that Harry thought it would snap. He placed the bags he was carrying at the foot of the staircase.

 

“Draco, take all of these up to your room and put your clothes away,” Snape ordered, placing a firm, unshakeable hand on Harry’s shoulder as he stepped over the threshold. “Harry and I need to have a little chat.”

 

“Alright,” Draco said, giving Harry a very confused look before heading up the stairs with some of the bags. Harry, for his part, was half-dragged into the kitchen. Snape shut the door tightly before turning to Harry and folding his arms.

 

“Explain,” he said shortly.

 

“I have nothing to explain,” Harry muttered.

 

“You surely don’t think that was normal behaviour!” Snape said incredulously.

 

“I don’t know!” Harry said, crossing his arms defensively. “What the hell is normal, anyway?”

 

“It certainly would not involve a loud and public argument about what I can and cannot spend my money on,” Snape said shortly.

 

Harry felt his cheeks flood with heat as he thought about the argument they’d had. He must have seemed so childish! Then, Harry realised that he hadn’t actually said thank you at all, and the guilty feeling worsened. Sure, Harry detested the idea of Snape buying him things, but it was still very rude to not even thank him…

 

“Look. Thank you for doing that,” he said quickly, “but you didn’t need to buy me clothes."

 

Snape opened his mouth before slamming it shut. A great deal of emotions seemed to flicker across his face, like someone was rapidly clicking through them with a remote control. Snape whipped around and jabbed his wand in the direction of the kettle, which instantly began to whistle. Snape then looped the wand in a corkscrew motion, causing two mugs and two tea bags to fly out of their respective homes before being promptly filled with boiling water.

 

As the tea bags steeped, Snape turned around and presumably noticed Harry’s blank stare. “I’m making us tea.”

 

“Yeah, I picked up on that.” Harry’s eyebrows furrowed. “Why?”

 

“Because this conversation is going to be longer than I anticipated,” Snape said. He had become weirdly calm. Harry didn’t like it. “I appear to have opened up a can of worms. Take a seat.”

 

Harry groaned loudly. “I don’t want to have anymore stupid chats with you!”

 

“Well, too bad, because we’re having one,” Snape said shortly. “Sit. Don’t make me force you, because I most certainly will.”

 

Harry had learnt by now to take Snape at his word, and sat down at the kitchen table with as much clattering and chair-scraping as he could possibly cause. Snape sat across from him and slid one of the steaming mugs of tea in Harry’s direction.

 

“So, I’m curious,” Snape began. “You told me you didn’t need clothes, is that correct?”

 

“Yeah. I have the hand-me-downs,” Harry said, gesturing to himself. “They’re crap, but they work.”

 

“Yet when I give you the option to free yourself of these ‘crap’ hand-me-downs, you fight me kicking and screaming every step of the way.”

 

Harry frowned at him, confused. “Because I don’t need them.”

 

“Your cousin is obviously far larger than you,” Snape said with a frown. “I would say you need clothes that come even close to fitting you.”

 

“Technically no,” Harry said with a shrug. “I mean… the Dursleys only had to clothe me, right? And they did. No one ever said the clothing had to fit…”

 

“Harry, has it ever occurred to you that you may be entitled to more than just basic needs?” Snape asked.

 

Harry shuffled in his chair, an uncomfortable feeling slowly building in his gut. “Yeah, but you don’t have to buy stuff for me.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because you’re not my guardian,” Harry pointed out.

 

“Would your actual guardians buy you anything outside of basic necessities?” Snape asked. “I doubt it, considering they don’t even provide the bare minimum.”

 

“Well that’s not your problem!” Harry said defensively.

 

“I think you’ll find it is,” Snape said. He sipped his tea and regarded Harry closely. “Considering you are living here for the summer, I am acting in loco parentis. That means I get to do things that a guardian does, which shockingly involves buying my ward clothes when it’s warranted.”

 

“I just think it’s excessive,” Harry mumbled, picking up the tea and sipping on it so he finally had something to do with his hands. It scalded his tongue.

 

“If you saw Mrs Weasley buying your friend clothes, would you think that was excessive?” Snape asked.

 

“Well no, but -”

 

“What about Miss Granger?” Snape asked. “If her parents bought her a new outfit, would that be the height of indulgence?”

 

“It’s not the same!” Harry said loudly. He’d gotten to his feet at some point, although he didn’t remember when that had happened.

 

“Why not?” Snape asked, still maintaining that infuriatingly calm exterior.

 

“Because they have parents!” Harry shouted. “Parents do that for their kids! And I don’t have parents, okay? I know I don’t, and I never will have that, so I just have to suck it up and cope with the cards I got dealt with instead!”

 

Snape fell silent for a moment, as did Harry. He hadn’t meant for that to slip out…

 

“The Dursleys should have provided you with the same amount of care and support that any parent would give to their biological child,” Snape said softly. “Just because Petunia did not give birth to you does not make her responsibility towards you as a guardian lesser. You and your cousin should have been treated equally, Harry.”

 

“But I’m not their kid,” Harry said bitterly. “I’m the freak nephew that they never wanted to take in, as they like to remind me.”

 

“You are not a freak,” Snape said sharply. “Stop calling yourself that.”

 

Snape pointed to Harry’s vacant chair, and he slowly sat down, previous anger giving way to dull despair. “Harry, let me tell you something. You deserve to be taken care of. You should have been adequately fed and clothed, and you certainly should have been treated with kindness, not scorn. The way that your relatives treated you was wrong.”

 

Harry simply shrugged. No matter what Snape said, he couldn’t quite find it in himself to believe that. Snape scanned his eyes over Harry’s face and sighed, clearly picking up on this.

 

“I will keep telling you this until you believe it, even if I have to make you write lines for the message to sink in,” he added.

 

“Fine, sure,” Harry said wearily. The argument earlier coupled with such an emotionally taxing conversation had left him feeling rather wrung out.

 

“I do wonder,” Snape said in a carefully measured voice, “what they did with the War Orphans Stipend.”

 

Harry abruptly jerked his head up. “The what now?”

 

Snape’s hand clenched around his mug. “Ah, of course, you don’t know. The War Orphans Stipend is a fund that was set up by the Ministry of Magic after the Dark Lord’s downfall. It was specifically set up for children who lost parents while they were in service fighting the Dark Lord and his followers. It is paid out to the guardians of the orphans to contribute to their care as thanks for their parents’ service.”

 

Harry’s jaw had dropped by now. He closed his mouth, but it took him a few moments to manage to speak. “You’re not serious.”

 

“Does that not seem rather elaborate of a premise for me to invent?”

 

“Oh my God!” Harry said indignantly. He hadn’t realised the Dursleys could reach a new low, but of course they could. They’d complained his whole life about how expensive Harry was to feed, house and clothe, and all along they’d been paid to look after him! "They've had money for me this entire time? Really?"

 

“That is why I am rather irritated,” Snape said, watching Harry closely. “The Stipend isn’t exactly a large sum of money, but it’s similarly not a mere pittance. I do believe your relatives could afford to buy you clothing that could actually fit you, and simply chose to give you those oversized things.” His lip curled into a sneer.

 

“Oh my God,” Harry repeated numbly. He was completely, utterly reeling.

 

“I should have realised something wasn’t quite right sooner, but I’m afraid I didn’t realise the state of your clothing was out of your control until Minerva suggested it may be an issue this morning.” Snape grimaced.

 

“Professor McGonagall noticed?” Harry frowned. “Why?”

 

“We were discussing you.”

 

“Again - why?” 

 

“Because she is your Head of House, she is one of the people who needed to be informed of the issues with your relatives,” Snape explained.

 

Harry balked. “What are you doing, spreading all that around everywhere?!”

 

“I am not spreading it around!” Snape said irritably. “I told you I would keep your confidence, and I do not make promises lightly, especially about matters such as these. There are only three people who need to be informed of your circumstances - Professor McGonagall, Madam Pomfrey and the Headmaster. I cannot singlehandedly remove you from the Dursleys’ custody, you realise?”

 

“It’s not like they’ll be any help,” Harry muttered, rubbing his arms and staring into his lap. He’d already asked Dumbledore for help once, and he’d said Harry absolutely had to go back to the Dursleys, no matter what. It was hopeless. As for Professor McGonagall - she’d signed off the Hogwarts letter addressed to the cupboard under the stairs, hadn’t she?

 

“Do not be disrespectful,” Snape said sharply. “Professor McGonagall has been of immeasurable aid, particularly in the areas of some tricky paperwork. She was also, I might add, utterly horrified by what I told her, and intends to take the Headmaster to task personally for his role in placing you there when we eventually tell him.”

 

“Seriously?” Harry asked. He tried to imagine Professor McGonagall at her angriest, when her lips went white and her nostrils flared, staring down Dumbledore.

 

“She described your relatives as ‘the worst sort of Muggles’, I believe,” Snape added. “So don’t be so hasty to condemn her.”

 

“Alright,” Harry said rather guiltily. “It’s just - I don’t know, I thought she knew and wasn’t interested…”

 

“What on earth gave you that impression?”

 

“Nothing,” Harry muttered, looking steadfastly away from Snape.

 

“This whole business with your clothes has made me realise something,” Snape said, steepling his fingers. “I overlooked it, which suggests I may be overlooking other issues you experienced in that household. I can’t help you if I don’t know what problems you’re facing, Harry. Is there anything else I don’t yet know about your relatives that you wish to tell me?”

 

The cupboard, Harry thought almost immediately. He’d recounted the majority of what the Dursleys had done, but Harry just couldn’t bring himself to mention that. Even Ron and Hermione, the people who knew the most about his relatives, didn’t know about that. It just felt oddly embarrassing to admit to, and Harry couldn’t possibly understand why. All he knew was that he couldn’t talk about it. Not yet, maybe not ever.

 

“No. There’s nothing else.”

 

It wasn’t technically a lie, Harry convinced himself. Snape asked if there was anything he wished to mention, and Harry certainly didn’t want to tell him anything. Still, he was aware that his answer was rather economical, at best, so he didn’t meet Snape’s eyes. He didn’t know if the other man believed him or not as Harry was at last released to go upstairs.

 

“Please put your clothes away,” Snape said as Harry hurried away. “In the wardrobe provided, if you will. I’d rather you stopped living out of your trunk like a nomad.”

 

“Sure,” Harry said, finally slipping out of the kitchen. He felt so off-kilter from that conversation that Harry was worried if he stayed in the kitchen for a moment longer he’d do something weird, like start shouting or crying again. He had a rather large amount to think about.

 

It had always been taught to him that Harry didn’t deserve as much as Dudley because he was Vernon and Petunia’s child, and Harry wasn’t. He was a burden, and a leech. It wasn’t something that Harry questioned - it was just a fact of life. Any prospect of Harry actually being cared for had died with his parents.

 

Now here Snape was telling Harry that it didn’t matter if the Dursleys were his parents or not, and his entire perception of reality shifted at once. Logically, he could see it. People were adopted all the time, weren’t they, and they got treated decently! That included being raised by family members other than your parents.

 

He even had examples. For instance, Neville was raised by his gran, and she could be stern but almost certainly loved her grandson. Susan Bones, a Hufflepuff girl in Harry’s year, often spoke fondly of her Aunt Amelia who she lived with. Harry, who was in a very similar situation guardian-wise, would never be boasting about his fabulous relationship with Aunt Petunia…

 

And how could he be a leech if the Ministry of Magic provided the Dursleys with money? For a moment, Harry wondered if the Dursleys had simply refused to claim it. It was freak money, after all, so they wouldn't want that, or maybe they couldn't change it from galleons, knuts and sickles…

 

But the way Snape had phrased things suggested they had claimed the money. And, now that Harry thought about it, he'd had some sort of special credit that provided his school dinners in primary school, hadn't he? The other children in the queue had always had cash, and Harry hadn't… It wasn't like Aunt Petunia gave him money to make sure he ate. She didn't care if he went hungry. He’d only eaten because of those mysteriously funded free school meals.

 

The Dursleys had pocketed money that was rightfully Harry's for all these years.

 

Harry pressed his trembling lips together as he walked into the bedroom, which was currently a disorganised mess of bags and half-folded clothing. Draco was staring at him, obviously baffled by his earlier behaviour.

 

"Don't you dare ask," Harry snapped, clenching his hands into fists. The anger at the Dursleys was practically choking him, and he felt dangerously on edge again. He couldn’t bear a probing question from Malfoy…

 

"You significantly overestimate how much I care about you and your life," Draco drawled, turning around and continuing to attempt to shove his new clothes into a drawer without folding any of them.

 

Harry opened up the bags at the base of the bed and felt his insides twist as he set eyes on the t-shirts within. It really wouldn't have cost the Dursleys that much to buy him just a few t-shirts that actually fit. They'd have lasted him a long time, and more importantly, actually fit his proportions. Especially if it wasn’t even with their money, but with money specifically provided for Harry’s care!

 

But, Harry thought, even if it was with the Dursleys' money and not funding from the War Orphans Stipend, they could certainly afford a couple of shirts. Before he'd screwed it up, they'd been in talks with Mr Mason that could have netted them a second home in Majorca. That wasn't even considering the pricey, fee-paying boarding school they sent Dudley to! The Dursleys weren’t exactly impoverished by any means…

 

Harry bunched up the plastic bag in his first. Snape was right. None of it was fair, and none of it was right.

 

After taking a deep, shaky breath in a futile attempt to loosen the tightness in his chest, Harry began to put away his own new clothes. He even made the effort to transfer some of his belongings from his trunk to his wardrobe after the nomad comment Snape had made. Harry felt like a massive arse for complaining so vocally the whole shopping trip, so maybe Snape would appreciate the gesture…

 

Harry shook himself suddenly. What was he doing, caring what Snape thought of him? Had he gone mad?

 

While Harry continued to try and sort through the entangled mess that was his feelings, Draco cleared his throat and turned to him. “Did he stick you?”

 

“What?” Harry asked, baffled. Even if he wasn’t quite with it at the minute, Harry was fairly certain he’d missed something.

 

“To the chair,” Draco said. “Did he stick you to the chair?”

 

“How is that any of your business?” Harry said shortly. He didn’t want to talk about that chat, especially with Draco…

 

Draco shrugged. “He’s done it to me a couple times.”

 

Harry turned back to him with renewed interest. “Really?”

 

“He can be very insistent about his chats.” Draco scowled. “He’s a big fan of Sticking Charms. Nosy git.”

 

For the first time in his life, Harry felt an odd sense of camaraderie towards Draco.

 

“He’s threatened it multiple times over the last few days,” he admitted.

 

“Well, don’t let it get that far,” Draco advised. “He keeps you there way longer when you’re stuck down…”

 

Harry chuckled a little bit, despite himself. "He's so insistent, isn't he? Snape can't just leave something!"

 

"I know!" Draco said rolling his eyes. "And he's such a nag, too, it's a bloody nightmare!"

 

“And the endless, wordy lectures are doing my head in!” Harry added. “Oh, and don’t even get me started on his micromanaging…”

 

Something which might just be a smile crossed Draco’s lips. "Well, at least I'm not the only one putting up with this crap now."

 

"Yeah…"

 

It was oddly relieving to know Harry wasn't in this alone. He didn't quite know what was going on with Draco, but he had to be just as messed up as Harry was to get stuck with Snape, after all. Maybe the man had been right in one of his many lectures; Harry and Draco did have a fair bit in common, between their lack of parents, anger issues and general circumstances.

 

There were other similarities Snape had overlooked, though. The biggest bonding agent of all was having to put up with him.

 

Harry shared another commiserating grimace with Draco before returning to his new belongings.

To be continued...
A Study in Pity by aspionage

Harry was distracted from his breakfast by the sound of an owl screeching. He looked up, half-expecting to see Hedwig back from Egypt before he remembered that he’d told her to stay with Ron. Harry winced. He regretted doing that now, since he’d realised Draco and Snape weren’t actually going to do anything to Hedwig, which was what he’d feared originally. It wasn’t like he could tell her to come back, either. He was stuck without her for the rest of August.

 

Two owls ended up flying in through the window; one for Draco, and one for Snape, which had a copy of the Daily Prophet. Snape handed a couple of knuts to the barn owl and unrolled the newspaper. Harry shivered slightly as Sirius Black stared back at him from the front cover. He couldn’t believe he still hadn’t been caught yet. They had the Muggles looking for him, and everything!

 

“Who wrote to you, Draco?” Snape asked, setting the newspaper to one side after a cursory scan of its contents.

 

“Pansy,” Draco said, sliding a finger under the envelope’s wax seal and taking out the letter within. Harry went to continue with his breakfast, but he noticed Snape didn’t carry on eating. Instead, his eyes were focused closely on Draco with a strange intensity. Harry frowned. He’d only seen that look on Snape’s face when he was trying to puzzle out something about Harry’s childhood that he hadn’t quite put together yet. Something about that letter had to be important, then.

 

Harry's eyes also drifted to Draco, just in time to see his face change. The small smile he’d worn while opening the envelope abruptly vanished, and was replaced by a scowl. His cheeks flushed to a dark pink and his eyes became oddly glassy.

 

Draco’s lips twisted downward and there was a sudden flash of white light between his hands. He violently swung out his arm, flinging the letter away, and kicked his chair back so it clattered to the ground before storming from the room. Snape muttered an oath under his breath and followed him. He was surprisingly swift and managed to grab onto Draco’s shoulder before he got too far away from the kitchen. He pulled the boy into the living room, out of sight.

 

Harry, who was frozen in place, became suddenly aware of the fact that he wasn’t breathing and did his best to inhale, even though his chest felt horribly tight. He didn’t like how Draco could just explode like that. Harry was very attuned to his uncle's body language, and almost always knew when Uncle Vernon's violent, raging side would pop out, so he could get out of the way in anticipation. Harry didn't know Draco well enough yet to be able to predict when he'd lose it, and that put Harry on edge.

 

What had been in that letter? It had obviously been the thing to upset Draco…

 

No one came back to the kitchen, and Harry became aware of ragged breathing in the living room that sounded a bit like sobbing. He considered going in to check what was happening, but Harry was fairly sure his presence would just make things worse. Instead, his eyes drifted to the sink. Draco’s letter was lying on the floor nearby. The edges were singed and blackened - Draco had to have done that, presumably with accidental magic. He must have been really angry, then…

 

Harry bit his lip, glanced over his shoulder to make sure no one was coming back in, and got to his feet to go and pick it up. He doubted anyone would explain what had just happened unless he looked into it himself, after all. Harry had just wrapped his fingers around the parchment when a sharp, fiery sensation shot through his hand. It was the same red-hot pain you might get from touching a hot stove. Harry hissed and yanked his hand away, cradling it close to his chest. He examined his fingers, which had turned red and shiny with a newly formed burn. What was that?

 

Not wanting to get hurt again, Harry squatted down and stared at the letter on the ground without touching it. The writing was just about legible.

 

  Draco,

 

  I don’t know how many ways I can tell you this - stop contacting me. Don’t owl me, don’t floo me, I want nothing to do with you. The rest of us in Slytherin feel the same way. Greg and Vince would tell you themselves, but they aren’t as gifted with the written word, so consider this a message from all of us. 

 

  None of us are your friend anymore, so you need to stop writing. Nothing is going to change our minds, so don’t bother. We don’t want anything to do with a Malfoy. If you value the lives of your post owls, you’ll stop sending mail.

 

  Pansy Parkinson

 

Harry finished reading the letter and had to make a conscious effort to shut his mouth, which was hanging open. Had Draco really fallen out with Pansy Parkinson? She was his biggest supporter after Crabbe and Goyle!

 

But from the sounds of that letter, Crabbe and Goyle weren’t speaking to Draco, either. Harry was half-certain that Vince and Greg were their first names, after all. Harry wondered what on earth could have possibly happened to cause a massive falling out like this. Things had seemed perfectly normal between them all at the end of his second year…

 

It was so quiet in the kitchen that Harry was able to hear Draco’s voice with perfect clarity. “It’s just not fair!”

 

“It isn’t,” Snape said so softly that Harry had to strain his ears to hear.

 

“It’s - I didn’t d-do anything! None of this is my fault!” Draco’s voice had a choked quality to it that let Harry know he was certainly in tears. As Harry felt horribly uncomfortable whenever someone started crying, he began to sidle towards the back door. Somehow, he got the feeling that if Draco knew he was hearing all of this, all hell would break loose. Harry slipped outside and leaned against the wall of the house.

 

He stood there for a long time, staring at the overcast sky and thinking about what he’d overheard. He couldn’t help but think that Draco had really been through the wringer recently. Parents in prison, friends not talking to him… He abruptly remembered Draco’s shouts from the other day, when they’d been arguing in the kitchen after Harry had shoved him. My life is a wreck, Severus! 

 

Harry shook himself. This was steering dangerously close to ‘feeling sorry for Malfoy’ territory, somewhere Harry refused to stray. It didn’t matter if he was marginally more tolerable these days, or if Harry occasionally found himself enjoying their games. He was still a nasty git.

 

A nasty git who was having a pretty difficult time, though. Harry could at least give him that.

 

He was interrupted from his musings by the sound of the kitchen door loudly squealing open. Harry jerked his head around and saw Snape watching him.

 

“He’s gone upstairs to spend some time alone,” Snape said before Harry could ask after Draco. “Are you alright?”

 

“Er - yeah,” Harry said, surprised he’d even bothered asking. “Is he?”

 

Snape hesitated for a few moments before responding. “He will be, with time.” He sighed heavily. “You’re rather lucky to have the friends you do, Harry. I’d advise you to never take them for granted.”

 

Harry nodded. He doubted that would ever happen, anyway. He’d never had a friend before Ron and Hermione, since Dudley had spent their entire childhood beating the stuffing out of anyone who dared to so much as smile at Harry. Even if they occasionally got on his nerves, he would always be grateful to have Ron and Hermione.

 

“Is Pansy really done with him, then?” he asked.

 

“I believe so, unfortunately.” Snape turned sharply to look at Harry, frowning severely. “How do you know of that letter’s contents?”

 

Oops. Harry grimaced. “I… er, I caught sight of some of it.”

 

“Caught sight of it, did you?” Snape gave him a highly disapproving look, which quickly devolved into one of suspicion. “You didn’t happen to touch the letter, by any chance?”

 

“Er…no?” Harry made the stupid decision to try and hide his hands behind his back, which Snape immediately noticed. He grabbed Harry’s wrists in a tight grip and yanked them forwards, turning his hands over to examine Harry’s palms. The burn was still visible on Harry’s right hand, and had started to throb slightly. Snape’s scowl developed into an all-out glare.

 

“For heaven’s sake, Potter!” he snapped. “The Parkinsons curse their stationary against non-recipients. Why didn’t you tell me you were hurt?”

 

“It’s just a little burn!” Harry protested, failing to hold in a hiss of pain as Snape jabbed his wand into Harry’s hand, drawing it into a circle around the burn. The swollen skin seemed to deflate and returned to its regular colour, and some of the soreness faded. Snape gave him a piercing look, his eyebrows furrowed with annoyance.

 

“Look, I’m sorry I looked at his mail, okay?” Harry said, trying to tug his hands away. Snape didn’t let go, and kept glowering at him. “I wouldn’t normally, I was just worried because he stormed away like that, so -”

 

“That is not what I have an issue with!” he snapped. “My problem is this continual insistence on hiding injuries!”

 

“I wasn’t hiding it -”

 

“Then why did you hide your hands behind your back when I asked you?” Snape demanded.

 

Harry felt his cheeks flood with heat. That was pretty damning.

 

“It wasn’t me hiding things like that, I just didn’t want you knowing I read his letter!”

 

“And perhaps I’d believe that if not for this very concerning pattern of behaviour!” Snape said irritably. “You keep doing this, Harry! You somehow come to some injury, or have an issue, and you won’t tell me about it! You even go so far as to lie to me about it when I ask!”

 

“I don’t do that -”

 

“Oh, yes you do,” Snape retorted. “Are you forgetting about how you hid the cut on your arm from me last week, even after I asked? Or, perhaps, your broken glasses from yesterday? And yes, I did notice Draco was the one to bring that up to me, not you! Or, of course, those bruises?”

 

Harry finally yanked his hands away and clenched them into fists. “That’s different, and you know it!”

 

“And that’s not even the end of it!” Snape said angrily. He was devolving into an all-out rant, Harry realised with no small amount of displeasure. “You constantly put yourself into dangerous situations! You ran away -”

 

“And that was your fault!” Harry shouted.

 

“But what of your behaviour at Hogwarts?” Snape said, crossing his arms. “Fighting mountain trolls, flying cars into trees, taking on basilisks… why do you consistently refuse to ever go to an adult with an issue?”

 

“Because I can’t!” Harry shouted. “Whenever I go to people, no one listens to me! No one! Professor McGonagall certainly didn’t care when I told her someone was after the Philosopher's Stone, Professor Lockhart tried to Obliviate me when I told him about the Chamber, and my aunt and uncle couldn’t give a damn about anything I do! Why the hell should I bother?!”

 

Harry’s chest was heaving by the time he’d finished his rant. The annoyance faded from Snape’s face, and was replaced by a look of genuine concern. “I see.”

 

Harry hugged himself with his arms, feeling very miserable all of a sudden.

 

Snape sighed. “I don’t want to shout and row with you over this.”

 

“Oh, well you’re doing a bang-up job of that,” Harry muttered, scowling at him.

 

“All of this ends now,” Snape said firmly. “If you have an issue with a Dark Lord or a possessed diary, be assured that I will, in fact, listen to you. For your part, I insist that you tell someone if you’re injured in any way.”

 

“You won’t listen to me,” Harry rasped, his voice oddly ragged. “No one listens to me. No one ever cares.”

 

“I care,” Snape said fiercely.

 

“Why?” Harry bellowed. “I just don’t get it! You’ve changed everything about how you treat me practically overnight, and I don’t understand what’s happened to you!”

 

Harry expected Snape to give some vague answer, or deflect away from the question as he’d done whenever Harry had asked him why he cared before, but Snape simply stared at him for a few heartbeats before beginning to speak.

 

“I made a promise when you were very young,” he said, turning away from him to look at the fence. “That I would protect you from harm. I have done a terrible job of it, and I’m doing what I can to remedy my mistakes in retrospect, especially now that I have fully realised how mistaken my assumptions of your character were.”

 

“So you pity me,” Harry muttered, feeling even more miserable. “You found out about the Dursleys and you feel sorry for me or something, and that’s why it’s all changed.”

 

“I do not pity people,” Snape said irritably. “Potter, I will not lie to you. It was mainly my discovery of the abuse you endured that prompted this change in my perceptions of you, but these changes are not ones borne of pity. Did it ever occur to you that perhaps I am justifiably horrified by the treatment you have suffered?”

 

“I haven’t suffered anything -”

 

“Don’t do yourself a disservice and downplay the disgusting treatment you’ve been subjected to,” Snape growled. “The Dursleys were horrible to you. But I do not pity you for it - as a matter of fact, I admire how well you’re faring in life despite your childhood. Still, Harry, no one is able to carry all of these things alone, even you. I am simply offering you help that you deserve and need.”

 

“But why you?” Harry whispered. “I just don’t get it…”

 

“Perhaps it would be easier if I showed you.” Snape turned around and headed towards the kitchen door. “Follow me.”

 

Harry followed Snape as he walked through the house and out of the front door, feeling more and more curious with every passing moment. Where was Snape taking him?

 

Snape didn’t say a word as he led Harry through the narrow streets of Cokeworth. They’d been walking in silence for about five minutes when Snape stopped outside of a white-painted house with large rose bushes lining the driveway. Even though it wasn’t too far from Spinner’s End, the area felt completely different. The houses weren’t too much bigger, but they lacked the general air of neglect that Snape’s area possessed, and the whole area felt far more hospitable.

 

Snape gestured to the house before them. “This is the house where your mother grew up.”

 

Harry inhaled sharply, and turned to look at Snape, who looked rather wistful. He pointed towards the window on the top left. “That was Lily’s bedroom, up in that corner. She had the walls painted yellow.”

 

Harry strained his eyes to look through the window. The curtains were open, and he could just about make out white-painted walls in the room beyond.

 

They’d painted over his mother’s bedroom walls. Something about that made a deep, resounding sadness ache in Harry’s chest. He closed his eyes, and tried to imagine a yellow bedroom. His mother would have lots of pictures up, Harry decided. Maybe a potted plant on her windowsill. He pictured the red-haired woman from the photographs waving at him out of the window, or tending to the rose bushes in the front drive, pausing to give Harry a quick, warm smile…

 

But then he opened his eyes, and Lily was nowhere to be found. Harry felt his shoulders droop.

 

“This seems like a nice place to have lived,” he said softly.

 

“Lily did like it here.” Snape turned to look at him, expression conflicted. “Do you recall me mentioning my own home life was - less than ideal?”

 

Harry slowly nodded, unsure of where this was going.

 

“Mr and Mrs Evans were very kind to me,” Snape said. He turned his head away and didn't look at Harry while he spoke. Instead, he kept his eyes fixed firmly on the house. “Their home was a refuge when things with my father became too intolerable. They were generally good and decent people, and were simply there when I needed somewhere to go. They didn’t have to do any of that for me, but they did. I owe them and your mother a debt I can never repay for that kind of support.”

 

Snape at last looked at Harry, but his face was impossible to read. “This is why I care, Harry. Because you deserve somebody who does. Because Mr and Mrs Evans helped me when I needed it, and you’re their grandson. Because you’re Lily’s son, and I forget that too often. Even just common human decency from one person raised in less than ideal circumstances to another. All of that means something to me, and I want to help you. Not out of some sort of pity, which I hope you can at last see. Now, can you please just let me?”

 

Harry gave him a jerky nod, a strangely choked sensation building in the back of his throat.

 

“Thank you,” he eventually managed.

 

“I don’t want your thanks,” Snape said a little sharply. “I just want you to try and rely on someone. Can you do that for me?”

 

“I’ll try,” Harry promised, and he truly meant it.

 

“It’s imperative that you do, Harry,” Snape said sternly. “If you keep refusing medical treatment for injuries and lying to me when you get injured, I will have to start punishing you for it.”

 

Harry sighed and gave him an exasperated look. “Really?”

 

“If nothing else will impress upon you how serious I am about this, then yes,” Snape said, eyes narrowing. “Someone has to give you what you need, even if you don’t particularly desire it.”

 

“I understand,” Harry grumbled. As annoying as it was, he did sort of get where Snape was coming from.

 

“I’m just not used to letting other people help me.” Harry admitted. He steeled himself. “Erm… you can probably guess that my aunt and uncle weren’t the most sympathetic people. If I was hurt or injured or anything, they’d just tell me to stop whining and get on with it, so I did. And - and you were right when you thought they didn’t take me to the doctor before. They never did when I was ill, they’d just lock me up in my - er, room, until I sweated it out. And that obviously was pretty miserable, so I don’t like telling people when I’m not well, especially since before there was never any point because no one would care…”

 

He took a deep breath in. That was the first time that Harry had knowingly and willingly confided in Snape about the Dursleys without being forced or prompted, and he felt oddly tense about it. He waited to see how Snape would react.

 

“I see.” Snape was watching him very closely, now. His eyes felt piercing. “Thank you for confiding in me.”

 

“Yeah.” Harry rubbed his arms, which had broken out with goosebumps.

 

“If it means anything, I won’t be angry when you come to me,” he added. “If you’re injured, I can heal it easily. If you’re sick, you certainly won’t be locked up in your bedroom, either. I wouldn’t do that to you.”

 

“I know you wouldn’t, but it’s sort of instinct at this point to just deny,” Harry admitted.

 

“I understand. These habits take time to unlearn, I’m aware.”

 

“Yeah.” Harry sighed and stared at his shoes. They stood in silence for a little while, listening to the gentle rustle of the bushes in front of the house. A question bubbled up in the back of his mind, and Harry blurted it out before he could stop himself.

 

“But how long does it take, in the end? When did that stuff stop being so difficult for you?” he asked. Immediately after the words left his mouth, Harry wanted to smack himself in the forehead. God, what a stupid thing to ask Snape! He was obviously going to flip…

 

But Snape didn’t scowl, or glower, or shout. His face became oddly drawn, but to Harry’s shock, he actually answered the question. “It’s hard to pinpoint an exact moment where things became easier. I was a very angry young man, and I took this out in ways I deeply regret to this day, but some of that anger has faded with the years and with distance from the situation. There will always be certain things that bring back the bad memories, though, no matter how much time passes." He hesitated for a moment before subtly nodding to himself. "Alcohol, for me. I refuse to touch it.”

 

“Really?”

 

Snape nodded. “It’s the biggest association I have with the unpleasantry of my upbringing, so I prefer to stay away.”

 

Like me and cupboards, Harry thought, remembering the incident where he’d essentially talked himself into an anxiety attack over Snape’s cupboard under the stairs. Cupboards and wardrobes and other small, dark spaces were what Harry associated most strongly with the nasty parts of his childhood. He wondered if things would always be that way…

 

Snape didn’t expand further on his own experiences, but Harry had heard more than enough to fill in the gaps. He remembered a fair few occasions where Uncle Vernon had been significantly rougher than him after coming home late from work drinks with alcohol on his breath. From the sounds of things, Snape’s father had probably had something of a drinking problem…

 

Harry truly couldn’t believe Snape had told him all of that, but the confession was strangely powerful. Some of the lingering mistrust he felt towards the man seemed to simply melt away, and Harry looked at him with renewed perspective.

 

Snape really did understand.

 

“Thank you, sir,” he said. Harry didn’t say what for, but he got the sense Snape would get what he meant.

 

Snape nodded, and inclined his head in the other direction. “Shall we head back? I’d rather not leave Draco alone for too long at the minute…”

 

“Right. Good point.”

 

“Don’t read his mail again,” Snape warned, his voice becoming stern again. “You won’t like the consequences from either one of us.”

 

Harry cringed. “Sorry.”

 

They walked in silence for a few moments, until Harry dared to hesitantly look at Snape. “What’s she so angry about, anyway? Same for Crabbe and Goyle. They’ve always all seemed joined at the hip to me.”

 

“Appearances can be deceiving.” Snape regarded him thoughtfully. “You’re muggle-raised, so you won’t know too much about all of this, but there can be complicated politics entrenched in the relationships between old pureblood families. Weasleys and Malfoys despise each other on principle for events that happened centuries ago which no one can remember, certain families like the Greengrasses are friends to all and close to none, and money and power seep their way into the relationships of everyone involved, including children.”

 

“Oh. Erm, okay.” Harry just felt more confused now.

 

Snape grimaced, picking up on this. “I’ll try and put it more simply. Many people are severing ties with Draco because his parents are in Azkaban, and because the Malfoy family name has lost much of its power. People no longer want to be associated with him as the child of criminals because they think it will reflect badly on them and damage their reputations.”

 

Harry frowned. “But Draco didn’t do anything!”

 

“Precisely his point,” Snape said with a shake of his head. “But he cannot extricate himself from familial ties. People who Draco previously thought were friends are now shunning him because of his parents’ incarceration.”

 

“That’s horrible,” Harry whispered, feeling pity stir in his chest again. Damn it, he did feel sorry for Malfoy now! How ridiculous was that?

 

“It is rather unpleasant,” Snape said. He sighed again. “Does this give you any insight into why Draco has been so angry these past few weeks?”

 

“A little,” Harry admitted. He was all too familiar with anger after what he’d been through himself, but at least he knew he still had his friends to help him through it. He couldn’t imagine how awful it would have been to deal with Snape finding out about the Dursleys and losing all his friends in one fell swoop…

 

“Perhaps give him a bit of space today,” Snape suggested. “I’m sure you’d rather avoid a confrontation, and I’m not sure if he can control himself -”

 

“I’ll leave him alone,” Harry agreed quickly.

 

He had fully intended on following through on this. Harry didn’t particularly enjoy fighting with Draco on a good day, and on a day like this, when he was so clearly in pain, it just seemed cruel to not give him a break. When they returned to Snape’s house, however, Harry had occasion to talk to Draco far sooner than he’d meant to.

 

Harry had gone upstairs to the loo while Snape went into the kitchen, fully expecting his room to be locked off. Surprisingly, the door was wide open. Despite himself, Harry lingered on the landing, and looked through the open doorway.

 

Draco had his face buried in a pillow. The whole room looked significantly messier than it had earlier that morning; Draco’s belongings were scattered all over the room, like he’d been digging for something, and the floor and desk were littered with crumpled up bits of parchment. There were several snapped quills surrounding an inkpot on the desk. The infamous necklace was lying on the pillowcase next to Draco's head.

 

For a moment Harry thought the other boy was asleep, but Draco promptly dispelled that theory when he lifted his head. He must have noticed Harry. Draco’s eyes were red and puffy - he’d obviously been crying. His face twisted into a scowl when his eyes locked with Harry’s. “Oh. It’s you.” 

 

“I’ll get out of your hair, sorry,” Harry said, taking a step backwards.

 

“No. I could use some input, actually,” Draco said angrily, shoving himself upright. “Have I committed a crime, Potter?”

 

“Um. No?”

 

“Exactly!” Draco hissed, slamming his hand against the desk. “So why, pray tell, am I being treated like a criminal?!”

 

“Er… I don’t know,” Harry said rather awkwardly.

 

“Neither do I!” Draco shouted. “Seeing as all of Britain has decided that my entire bloodline is evil, maybe the Ministry of Magic should get this whole sorry affair over with and throw me to the Dementors already! After all, I’m Draco Malfoy. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve engraved my bloody name onto a cell in Azkaban in preparation for my arrival!”

 

“Um,” Harry said ineloquently, his brain fizzling as he tried to reach for the right words that he just didn’t have. Eventually, he came up with the slightly pitiful, “I don’t think you’re evil.”

 

Draco’s eyes flashed with icy fury. “Oh, what high praise! I’ve got the admiration of the darling Boy-Who-Lived, have I? Not evil, what a compliment! Is my Order of Merlin in the mail, Potter?”

 

“You’ve really not done anything,” Harry said, ignoring the biting sarcasm. “People shouldn’t blame you for stuff you didn’t do. It’s unfair.”

 

A look of deep, intense pain twisted Draco’s features. He snatched up a half-written letter from the desk, took it between his shaking hands, and tore it clean in two with a noisy rip.

 

“This is fucking ridiculous!” he shouted. The letter was torn into quarters, and the shredding sounds continued to punctuate Draco’s shouts as he ranted. “How are you the only one who doesn’t think I’m a Death Eater in training? The world’s gone barking mad! Harry fucking Potter is the only one on my side, and meanwhile my own bloody friends just abandon me at the first sign of trouble. Can you even imagine how that feels?! You hate me! I’ve known them since I was in nappies, and you’re the only one who can do me the courtesy of treating me decently? If you of all people can see that it’s not my fault, why can’t they? Why do they suddenly hate me?!”

 

Draco’s voice was hoarse and shaky with pain by the end of his rant, and Harry felt something uncomfortably sympathetic stir in his chest. Moments later, rapid footsteps ascended up the staircase, and Harry could have collapsed with relief. It was Snape, presumably drawn in by the shouting. Harry never thought there would be a day where he was grateful for Snape swooping in to intervene with something, but here he was.

 

Snape quickly assessed the situation, eyes darting between Harry’s slightly panicked expression and Draco’s agonised, heartbroken face. He took Harry by the shoulders and firmly moved him in the direction of the staircase.

 

“Downstairs,” he ordered. Harry nodded, and turned his head away just as Snape wrapped an arm around Draco and started murmuring something to him, the exact words inaudible.

 

Harry hurried downstairs, sat down on the sofa and heaved a loud sigh. There was nothing else for it but to admit it; he did feel sorry for Draco. This was going to be a problem.

 

This was all bloody Snape’s fault! Harry had been staunchly determined that even with all of the enforced time together, he would still continue with the Malfoy-hating, but the old hatred had just slipped away without him even realising it. Harry certainly didn’t like him, and definitely still disliked him, but every time he tried to conjure up the mindless loathing of before, it just wasn’t possible. He kept thinking of the evening games, and the slightly violent but fun football matches, and Draco’s tearstained face as he tore up that letter…

 

He knew too much about the Draco behind the mask of Malfoy, and it had changed the way Harry saw the other boy.

 

“For God’s sake,” Harry muttered, running his hands over his face. He wanted to take his mind off these new, complicated feelings. Harry needed a good distraction. As he looked up, he noticed a book, open on Snape’s coffee table. He walked closer, curious.

 

And then Harry saw the title. ‘CHILD NEGLECT’, written across the top of the page in bold, black letters. Harry flinched backwards, his mouth going dry. Snape was reading that stupid trauma book again, apparently.

 

The corner of the page was folded. This chapter hadn’t been dog-eared before.

 

But Snape had bought that book for Draco. It had been here before Harry had even arrived at Spinner’s End. This had nothing to do with him, right? So why was Snape suddenly reading about child neglect when he hadn’t been before?

 

  “They neglect that poor nephew of theirs terribly, don’t they?”

 

  “I didn’t realise you were experiencing medical neglect there…”

 

  “Would your actual guardians buy you anything outside of basic necessities? I doubt it, considering they don’t even provide the bare minimum…”

 

Harry stepped back, feeling slightly sick. The page hadn’t been dog-eared before, and now it was. He couldn’t stop thinking about that, and he definitely couldn’t rationalise this being about Draco… no, Snape was using this trauma book and reading about Harry. 

 

Something nasty squirmed in Harry’s stomach. Snape was doing something for his sake again. He thought Harry was neglected.

 

Harry’s general rule of thumb was to deny the facts, and do his best to push away any thoughts that what the Dursleys did was wrong, but after his conversation yesterday, he knew he couldn’t escape the reality of the situation. Not after finding out about that War Orphan’s Stipend. Harry found he just couldn’t get past that. The Dursleys had money, and they didn’t spend it on Harry. They could have, but they didn’t…

 

Harry had always thought that the neglect - if that was what this was, if that was the word Harry dared to use - hurt more than the punches and the slaps. It always had. The ill-fitting clothes, the untreated illnesses, the lack of food, the lack of kind words, of hugs. It was so stupid, why did Harry care about that?

 

  “Petunia doesn’t even touch him, have you noticed?”

 

Sometimes, Harry used to wonder if he had a disease, and that was why they wouldn’t come near him. When he was too young to understand that his relatives wanted nothing to do with him, and he’d try to hug his aunt and uncle like Dudley did, he’d always be shoved away and given a disgusted look. Harry hadn’t been able to understand why, and a part of him still didn’t understand. He’d try and try to be good, but nothing made them happy. They were always just so angry…

 

Why? Why wasn’t Harry good enough for them? Why wasn’t he worthy? Why, why, why -

 

“Harry?”

 

He jerked his head around. Snape was standing in the doorway, looking worried. “Are you alright?”

 

Harry nodded mechanically and shakily inhaled past the knot in his chest, which was terribly difficult to do. He felt a bit lightheaded. “Yep. Great. Fine, completely fine.”

 

Snape made an exasperated noise. “That question was more of a courtesy. Tell me what’s wrong. Draco again?”

 

“No, not that,” Harry said quickly. “He didn’t say anything rude to me, actually. He was just sort of ranting.”

 

“Yes, I caught the tail end of that.” Snape sat down in his usual chair, and Harry was suddenly struck by how utterly exhausted he looked.

 

“Are you alright?” Harry asked a little nervously.

 

Snape looked briefly stunned by the question. He let out a hoarse chuckle. “I’m managing, I suppose. So, what’s your issue, then, if not that incident with Draco?”

 

Harry’s eyes flicked to the book again, and he bit down on his cheek. Snape, who was annoyingly attuned to Harry’s body language, tracked where his eyes had darted. He stared at the open book, and his lips briefly thinned. “Ah. You noticed my reading.”

 

Harry stared at the floor. He didn’t know what to say, and his chest was hurting quite badly by now.

 

“There’s a lot about your background that I don’t yet understand, Harry, and I’m trying to expand my knowledge,” Snape explained. “You could read the book sometime, if you’d like? It’s quite insightful.”

 

“I can’t,” Harry said, feeling oddly panicked. “I can’t, no, I can’t -”

 

“No one is forcing you.” Snape said quickly, flicking his wand. The book flew back onto the shelf, out of sight. “Take a deep breath. It’s fine.”

 

“Right.” Harry tried to loosen the tightness behind his ribs with a shuddering breath, feeling furious with himself. This was so stupid. It was a bloody book! What was it about a book that was making him freak out? What was wrong with him?

 

“It gets easier,” Snape said softly. “All in due time, Harry.”

 

He nodded mutely. Harry had to trust that Snape was telling him the truth, because the prospect of always feeling this way was unbearable to contemplate. He knew he’d come quite far as it was, from that lonely boy in the cupboard to someone with friends and a place to escape Privet Drive, but there was still so much more Harry wished for. There were still so many things about the Dursleys affecting him which he wanted to be rid of, and he didn’t want to wait. Harry needed to know that it got better. He wished it could all be better now, actually…

 

“Would you like to do something?” Snape asked, disrupting Harry from the spiralling. “How does a game of chess sound? Perhaps today is the day you’ll finally beat me.”

 

“But what about Draco?” Harry asked, glancing towards the open living room door. “Don’t you need to go back up to him?”

 

“Draco will come down when he’s ready,” Snape said, summoning the chess board. “He wants to be alone right now.”

 

“Should he be?” Harry asked softly, staring at his shoes. Thoughts of Draco’s pained shouts were mixing together with the memories of his own horribly lonely childhood. The idea of leaving someone alone when they were that upset, even when that someone was his greatest rival, pained Harry a little.

 

“Draco needs time to process what has happened without feeling forced to put on a front of indifference,” Snape explained, setting out the chess pieces. “He needs a bit of time to himself. As desirable as it would be, these things can’t be fixed easily. It’s yet another thing which simply takes time.”

 

Harry nodded. “Right.”

 

“Onto the chess, then,” Snape announced. Several of his pieces saluted him. “Perhaps we should swap sets. Since I’ve been so thoroughly thrashing you, I’m a tad concerned your pieces are developing suicidal tendencies.”

 

“Oh, shut up,” Harry grumbled. He glared at his chess set when they all tried to hurry over to Snape’s side of the board, and roughly shoved them back into position. “Stop it! I’ll have you all court marshalled for this!”

 

Snape raised his eyebrows. “I doubt your army could survive that drop in numbers.”

 

“Stop converting my pieces to your side!” Harry said, glaring at him. “I’m going to beat you this time, you know. I’m prepared.”

 

“Ah, Gryffindor optimism.” Snape smirked. “So fun to crush.”

 

Despite the insults being tossed, Harry couldn’t help but smile to himself as he moved the first pawn. He knew Snape was just trying to distract him, but it was working, so he certainly wasn’t going to complain. He focused hard on the chess game, and Snape’s rather eloquent jibes that accompanied their playing, until the tension in his chest eased and the book faded from his mind.

 

It was really quite nice to not be left to deal with his sadness alone now. Harry couldn’t put into words how much he appreciated that.

To be continued...
Mutually Assured Destruction by aspionage

When Draco at last descended from his room, late in the evening, there was no evidence of his breakdown earlier that day. He’d washed the ink stains from his hands and had scrubbed the redness from his eyes, and his hair had been combed back into its usual, uniform style. The only difference in his behaviour was that he was more lofty and cold than usual, if that was even possible.

 

It failed to irritate Harry like it usually would, though. Draco was drawing the front of icy indifference around himself like a cloak, but beneath sat the smarting wounds of his friends’ betrayal, Harry knew. He knew because it reminded him a little of himself. Harry was quick to stoke the fires of his temper whenever the unpleasantness of the Dursleys flashed through his mind, because it was easier to cope with than giving into the sharp grief that was always swimming beneath the surface.

 

Harry didn’t want to think about how he was relating to Draco now.

 

Instead, he distracted himself with the usual evening Snape-enforced Monopoly game. Draco had once again begged for Snape to join them, and to Harry’s surprise, he had actually agreed for the first time. He settled on the ground opposite to Harry in a flurry of black robes, back rigid and hawk-like eyes narrowed as he observed the dice rolls and exchanges of money. At first, Harry was a little nervous with him there, but he gradually settled into the usual gameplay.

 

Harry had been planning to let Draco win the game, since he was having such a terrible day. Since Monopoly was partially luck-based, this mostly consisted of Harry agreeing to property deals that were far lower than what he usually would expect, but he thought it was the right thing to do and had been expecting Snape to do the same. To his shock, Snape played ruthlessly. He picked his properties thoughtfully, and took a great deal of vindictive pleasure in collecting rent and brokering utterly unfair property trade deals. Over an hour into the game, Harry was becoming incredibly frustrated by him.

 

“Come on, sir,” Harry said exasperatedly. “It’s an even trade! Fenchurch Street Station for Regent Street! Just accept it!”

 

“And allow you to obtain a monopoly so easily?” Snape’s eyebrows rose. “I think not. I’ll take nothing less than an additional five hundred.”

 

“That’s ridiculous!” Harry snapped. “You have three railroads, I’m giving you the fourth one! That’s such a good deal!”

 

“And I suppose the green properties are merely pocket change?” Snape smirked. “I’ll take nothing less than what I’ve offered.”

 

Harry groaned. “That’s basically all my money! I can’t give you that much!”

 

Snape thought for several moments. “I’ll drop the price to two hundred and fifty if you add in The Angel Islington.”

 

“I’m not giving you two properties and money!” Harry hissed. “Are you actually mad? No!”

 

“Then we don’t have a deal,” Snape said. “Very well. I believe it’s Draco’s roll?”

 

“Wait, wait, hold on!” Harry bit his lip and stared at the board. He really, really needed this monopoly. Snape only had one of the light blue properties, and it was only a cheap one…

 

“Fine,” Harry agreed reluctantly. “I agree.”

 

“Excellent,” Snape said, the sneer evident in his voice. Harry made sure to glare at him with as much vehement hatred as he could muster while he handed over the property cards. He didn’t even have the money for his houses after all that…

 

“He is completely ripping you off, Harry,” Draco announced after the money had been exchanged.

 

“You think I don’t know that?” Harry grumbled. He shoved the dice in Draco’s direction. “I hate you all. You’re evil people.”

 

“Oh, I love it when you lose,” Draco said with a delighted sigh. Harry scowled at him.

 

Draco’s glee was short-lived, as Snape proceeded to subject him to the same brutal property deals until his eventual victory. Harry, who hadn’t known that someone could be so good at Monopoly, made a mental note to never play against Snape again.

 

At least it seemed to make Draco happy, though. That pleased Harry, especially since later that night, he was fairly certain he could hear the muffled sounds of Draco crying into his pillow. He needed any small joys he could get.

 

Still, he decided to take after Snape and do two things: one, not acknowledge what had happened with Pansy and two, treat Draco as normal. Harry knew that if he was in the same situation, he wouldn’t want a fuss, and Draco certainly wouldn’t either. That meant playing their violent football knockoff with the usual vigour two days after the letter incident.

 

Usual vigour might have been a bit of an understatement, though. Despite the detached front Draco was putting on, he was clearly still angry about the whole situation with his friends. This, of course, manifested in an usually brutal match of their version of football, which was really turning out to be more like dodgeball with the way they were playing. Harry didn’t particularly mind, though. After all, he was more than capable of holding his own, and Draco did want to pretend like nothing had happened, so he had every right to punt the football at Draco as hard as he possibly could.

 

When Snape came to call them in for lunch, they were both rather worse for wear, caked in dirt and a fair bit of blood. The man’s face settled into a deep scowl as he took in their appearances.

 

"What on earth do you two think you're doing?" Snape hissed.

 

"Football," Harry said brightly, wiping away the blood under his nose. It had started bleeding a bit after a particularly hard kick of the ball to his face.

 

Snape glowered at him and got out his wand. He jabbed it at Harry, and after a brief, sharp sting, the blood dripping from his nose tapered off. "This is the second day running I have called the two of you in for lunch, only to discover you covered in filth and blood! I may not be an expert in sport, but I highly doubt whatever you're doing is proper!"

 

"We're Quidditch players at heart, Severus," Draco said innocently. "This is a rough sport, that’s all. We're fine!"

 

“Really,” Harry said with a vehement nod.

 

Snape stared between the two of them, lips white and thinly pressed together. He clearly knew they were up to something, but just couldn’t prove it. Harry couldn’t really understand what the problem was here. He and Draco had two years worth of pent-up hatred and rivalry that the football games were helping them channel. Snape had said he wanted them to get over it, after all…

 

Snape muttered something under his breath that sounded vaguely like 'idiotic teenagers' as Harry and Draco shuffled inside. He threw out an arm to stop them from walking any further than the bristly mat by the door.

 

“Do not trek mud through my kitchen!” he said severely. “Shoes off, now. Tergeo.” 

 

Harry and Draco both yelped in tandem as they were hit by twin Cleaning Charms. Harry’s skin felt rather tender and sensitive where the dirt had been cleaned, like he had been harshly scoured.

 

“Merlin’s beard, Severus!” Draco hissed, rubbing his arms and glaring around reproachfully. “Don’t put so much power behind that thing! You just took the entire top layer of my skin off!”

 

Snape sighed loudly and pointed to the kitchen table where their lunch was waiting without bothering to respond.

 

"You two are done with that football for now," he added as they sat down to eat. "I know you're up to something, and I don't like it."

 

"But Severus, we're both enjoying ourselves!" Draco protested.

 

“Do not argue with me," Snape said, glaring at Draco. "You will find something else to occupy your time."

 

Harry kept his eyes firmly fastened to his meal as all of this went down, feeling a little wary. As he reflected upon it further, he realised Snape had been in a completely rotten mood all day. He’d been snapping at both of them all morning for various minor incidents, including one hissed reprimand directed at Draco for breathing too loudly. Harry wasn't sure why Snape had suddenly decided to go back to being his usual, bastard self, but he wasn't particularly happy about it.

 

Lunch was rather silent after Snape’s football ban. Draco seemed irritated, while Harry was being careful so he wouldn’t set Snape off. While he felt reasonably assured by now that Snape wouldn’t do anything like Uncle Vernon when he was angry, Harry still wasn’t in the mood to get yelled at or dumped with a pile of dirty cauldrons.

 

Snape cleared his throat and examined them closely. “Perhaps it would be good for the two of you to get out of the house for a bit.”

 

Harry looked up, interested. Given Snape’s behaviour, he hadn’t expected much interaction between them and the irritable Potions Master that day…

 

“Where are we going?”

 

Snape hesitated for a moment, and Harry got the impression he was struggling with whatever he was about to say. “The park. There is a travelling steam fair company who have set up a number of rides and other attractions.”

 

Despite himself, Harry’s face lit up. There was a funfair company that visited Little Whinging in the summer, and Harry had never been allowed to go with the Dursleys! Even when he wandered over to the park to look around by himself, Harry didn’t have any money to spend. All he could do was look longingly at the rides and enviously watch the other children who had the funds to enjoy themselves. Dudley was almost always around, too, which was certainly not desirable, since he’d always start up an impromptu game of Harry Hunting if he caught sight of him.

 

But a funfair he could actually interact with, and a lack of vengeful cousins wandering around the place and looking for excuses to beat Harry up? It sounded idyllic.

 

Draco seemed far less enthused. He opened his mouth, as if to protest, before abruptly closing it again. Harry was fairly certain he’d just barely bitten back some sort of insult about Muggles.

 

“Now, I have some important business to attend to this afternoon,” Snape said, “so the two of you will be unaccompanied.”

 

Harry sharply jolted upright. Had Snape seriously just said that? Was he really giving them permission to go out, especially alone?

 

Wasn’t he really worried about Sirius Black, though? Why had Snape suddenly decided to relax his rules? Considering the horrid mood he was in, Harry would have expected a clamp down on rules and regulations, not a whole new amount of freedom that neither he or Draco had even asked for.

 

Harry just about restrained himself from asking any of these questions, too worried that Snape would change his mind if Harry pointed out any of the obvious flaws in this plan. He really did want to get out of the house, after all. Being locked up in Spinner’s End was very boring.

 

“That sounds amazing!” Harry said happily. “When can we leave?”

 

“After lunch, when Draco has changed into his Muggle clothes,” Snape said, raking his eyes over the green robes Draco was wearing, which were still quite muddy from his and Harry’s aggressive take on football. “And Draco, I will remind you to behave while in the presence of Muggles, or -”

 

“Yeah, yeah, I’ll be fine!” Draco rolled his eyes emphatically.

 

“Watch it,” Snape said sharply, his nostrils flaring. “Your abhorrent behaviour in the past has thoroughly stripped you of the right to brush off my reminders. If you violate the Statute of Secrecy while under my care, I will be truly furious, so you’d better be careful.”

 

He and Draco both scowled at each other, and Harry once again wondered what could possibly be going on with Snape. He had spent the whole of lunch wielding his knife and fork like they were weapons, not cutlery, and he was still clearly in a bad mood, judging by his snarling face. If he was so angry, why on earth was he actually encouraging Harry and Draco to get out of the house and do something fun? Snape in a bad mood was a happiness vacuum at best! Very weird…

 

Of course, it turned out Snape wasn’t by any means eager about the situation, even if he was letting them outside. As soon as Draco had changed into Muggle clothes, he began to fill them in on his long list of rules.

 

“As you are both aware, Black is still at large,” Snape said, lacing his fingers together. “As Harry is most likely a target for his violence, the two of you have to be inordinately cautious today.”

 

“How would Black even know he’s in Cokeworth?” Draco asked, gesturing to Harry.

 

Exactly, he thought grumpily to himself. The world really had gone topsy-turvy when he was thinking about how much sense Draco Malfoy was making…

 

“Black may have his ways,” Snape said sternly. “After all, he is an extraordinarily dangerous man. Therefore, the two of you will keep your wands on you the whole time. Harry will also be carrying this so you can escape in case of an emergency.”

 

Snape reached into his pocket and handed Harry a long, thin plastic tube filled with clear liquid. Harry frowned, and held it up to the light. “Is this… a glowstick? What on earth…?”

 

“It’s obviously a Portkey, Potter!” he said exasperatedly. “Use some sense!”

 

Harry stared at him, baffled. “A what?”

 

Draco whipped around to face Harry, his face the picture of incredulity. “A Portkey, you dolt!”

 

“I don’t know what that is!” Harry snapped.

 

He scoffed. “You’re having me on!”

 

“Draco!” Snape hissed. “Don’t be rude. I believe you’re aware that Harry’s relatives are Muggles? They do not have the ability to use Portkeys, so Harry may really have not been exposed to one before.”

 

“Right,” Draco mumbled, his cheeks colouring. Harry thought it was unwise to point out that Snape had been irritated at him for not realising it was a Portkey just moments earlier.

 

“A Portkey is an enchanted object that can be used to magically transport the person touching it to a secondary location,” Snape explained, his scowl easing. “Typically, wizards use rather mundane objects you would expect to see anywhere - things that could blend in with everyday litter, so Muggles don’t pay much attention to them. In this case, a glowstick is appropriate, since they’re sold at the fair. Snap it and it will transport you to a secondary safe location. Only use this if you fear your life is in danger, is that understood?”

 

Harry nodded, carefully placing the glowstick in his jacket pocket.

 

“And finally, the two of you are to stick together at all times,” Snape said, his tone extraordinarily stern. “I don’t want you arguing and running off, or disagreeing about what you want to do, or separating because you’re unsupervised. The consequences will be utterly dire if I found out you've left each others’ sides - and believe me, I will know.”

 

Harry nodded and ran his fingers across the runes carved into his tracking bracelet. He genuinely forgot it was there, sometimes, but at times like these, he remembered how Snape had such omniscient knowledge over his location.

 

“Here’s some money,” he said, handing Harry some notes. “Draco, Harry will help you with prices and payments. Ensure you ask. I’ll see both of you in a few hours - be back well before dark, and do not leave the park and go elsewhere.”

 

“Bye, Severus!” Draco said, getting to his feet. Harry followed him, and the two of them stepped out of the front door together. Harry couldn’t help his shiver of anticipation as he walked over the threshold and out of the driveway. Even though Snape had just given him permission, it still felt wrong to exit the property.

 

Snape still didn’t seem entirely happy about the situation, though. He watched after Harry and Draco as they walked down the road for a very long time, eyes dark with worry.

 

“I’m glad we’re shot of him,” Draco muttered when they were out of earshot and around the corner. “He’s been in a horrid mood all morning!”

 

“I know,” Harry said. “I’m pretty surprised he actually sent us out, actually. He doesn’t do that when he’s in a good mood!”

 

“Right - mass murderers are out for your blood.” Draco paused for a moment, then rounded on Harry. “Come on, Potter, tell me! Why is Black after you?”

 

Harry frowned. “How should I know?”

 

“Don’t try and push me off!” Draco complained. “Severus clearly thinks Black’s after you, and he wouldn’t get so panicked for no good reason! What does that madman want with you? Stop lying and just tell me already, it’s killing me!”

 

“I haven’t got any reason to lie, you know,” Harry said a bit irritably. “I don’t have a clue why everyone seems to think Black is interested in me, specifically. Snape told me that it’s because I’m the Boy-Who-Lived, and he’s not happy about me killing Voldemort -”

 

“Don’t say his name!” Draco snapped, putting his hands over his ears. His face had drained of all colour. “Are you mad? Do you have a death wish or something?!”

 

Harry rolled his eyes and didn’t respond. After two years of being friends with Ron, he was used to the strange panic of Purebloods when he said Voldemort’s name. As the man in question had tried to kill Harry multiple times in his thirteen years of life, he was not particularly concerned about upsetting Voldemort by saying his name. What was he going to do, try to kill Harry? He already wanted to anyway!

 

After a moment of glaring, Draco continued on. “That’s really it? Are you serious? Don’t you have people trying to kill you every other year for vanquishing the Dark Lord? What’s the issue with him specifically?”

 

“Good bloody question,” Harry grumbled. “But either way, Snape’s doing my head in with all the paranoia.”

 

“I wonder if there’s anything more he’s not telling you,” Draco said thoughtfully.

 

“Probably - this is Snape. But he’s certainly not telling me, whatever it is.”

 

Draco’s shoulders slumped. “He won’t tell me either, and believe me, I’ve been asking… I even eavesdropped on him and Professor McGonagall while they were talking about it a few weeks ago, but I got caught before I heard anything useful.”

 

“What did you hear?” Harry asked, curious.

 

“Nothing that made sense,” Draco grumbled. “Professor McGonagall said something about you being friends with Black, which was weird. Severus noticed me listening in right after and made me scrub the laboratory floor for listening in…”

 

Harry’s eyebrows furrowed. “But I’ve never met Black before! How could I be friends with him?”

 

“Beats me.” Draco shrugged. “I must have misheard, it was all muffled. Anyway, Severus was furious with me for eavesdropping, so I’m fairly sure he’s refusing to tell me about Sirius Black out of spite, now. It’s ridiculous! He’s related to me, after all, so if anyone has the right to know, it’s me…”

 

“He’s what?” Harry demanded, whirling around to face him.

 

“Did you not know?” Draco frowned. “I thought everybody did. Everyone of my status, at least, since we’re all taught the lineage. My mother was a Black before she married my father. Sirius is her cousin.”

 

“Did she ever tell you about him?” Harry asked eagerly. “You must know loads!”

 

“My mass-murdering cousin isn’t exactly breakfast conversation, so no, I don’t know much,” Draco said with a roll of his eyes. “Mother did say to me once that she was surprised he had it in him, though. They all thought Sirius was a blood traitor, since he’s the only Black to ever sort Gryffindor. He’s just as Dark as the rest of them, as it turns out…”

 

That surprised Harry a little. He supposed it was a bit ridiculous to assume that all of Voldemort’s followers were Slytherins, but it still shocked him to learn a Gryffindor had joined his ranks.

 

Draco seemed fascinated by other matters, though. He was staring at Harry, obviously surprised. “Did you really not know that I’m related to the Blacks?”

 

“I don’t particularly care about your ancestors, shockingly,” Harry said shortly.

 

“But I know all of yours,” Draco said with a frown. “My parents taught me the whole Sacred Twenty-Eight.”

 

Harry was half-certain if he told Draco he didn’t have a clue what the Sacred Twenty-Eight was, his head might explode, so he simply said, “I was raised by Muggles, remember? I don’t know much about any of that stuff.”

 

“Odd.” Draco stared at him for a long moment. “You’re distantly related to the Blacks too, you know.”

 

“I am?” Harry said curiously. The only relatives he knew of were on his mother’s side of the family, and even that knowledge was patchy since Aunt Petunia hated discussing her parents. His father’s ancestors were a complete blind spot.

 

“Yep,” Draco said with a nod. “Your great-grandmother was a Black. She and my great-grandmother were sisters, actually.”

 

“So we’re related?” Harry asked, feeling a small surge of disgust that he tried not to show on his face.

 

“We are - I think we’re third cousins?” Draco said, furrowing his eyebrows with concentration. “Most of us old pureblood families are related in some way, you know. That does include you, even if your own blood status is - well…”

 

“I can’t believe you learnt all of this stuff,” Harry said, shocked. If this wasn’t Draco, he’d have actually admitted how impressive that level of memorisation was. It rivalled even Hermione.

 

“Any good pureblood heir does.” Draco jutted his chin out slightly.

 

After a moment of hesitation, Harry asked, “So… would you know my grandparents’ names?”

 

“Fleamont and Euphemia Potter, I’m fairly certain.” Draco turned to him, obviously surprised. “How can you not know that?”

 

“My aunt didn’t know them,” Harry said, which wasn’t even a lie. Not that she'd have told him about his magical grandparents even if they had been intimately acquainted, of course…

 

Fleamont and Euphemia. Harry stored that precious nugget of information away in the back of his mind, smiling to himself a little.

 

Draco was looking at him like he was a puzzle piece that wasn’t quite clicking into place. “You know, I keep forgetting that you’re Muggle-raised. Since you’re Harry Potter and all… well. It’s baffling.”

 

“Look, we’re here,” Harry said quickly, gesturing to the park ahead of them, desperate to steer the topic away from his relatives.

 

It was an exciting thing to behold. Harry had walked past the park with Snape and Draco when they’d gone to Tesco on his second day here, and it had been a largely empty field containing nothing but a couple of tattered football nets, adjoined by a slightly depressing and neglected children’s playground. Now, the green had been covered with all sorts of funfair rides and food stalls. They were old-fashioned in style, and all were painted in metallic reds and golds. Harry smiled to himself at the Gryffindor colours - Draco was probably disgusted by the lack of green and silver.

 

Harry could spot a ferris wheel and a carousel amongst a number of small-scale rides that had been set up, as well as a few game stalls. Children were excitedly shouting and running around, while parents gathered in clumps at the corners and watched with smiles.

 

Draco, to Harry’s shock, looked utterly fascinated as opposed to the look of revulsion that Harry had been anticipating. Draco stared at the ferris wheel for several moments with his mouth hanging open slightly before he turned to Harry and hissed, “How do Muggles have ferris wheels? They don’t have magic!”

 

“They make them work with electricity,” Harry explained. He wondered where wizards stored their ferris wheels, since Draco seemed to actually know what they were. Maybe Harry could visit it sometime in the wizarding world.

 

Draco frowned. “You and Severus say that for everything!”

 

“That’s because Muggles use electricity for pretty much everything.”

 

“You’d think that someone would be able to tell me what it actually is, then,” Draco grumbled.

 

Harry shrugged. “I’m not an expert in science, so I’m really not sure. Anyway, do you want to try it out?”

 

Draco hesitantly stared up at the ferris wheel for several moments before his expression changed to a look of firm resolve. “You know what? I think I would like that. Let’s go!”

 

Harry grinned. He paid the attendant - Draco watched on with a puzzled frown as the man handed over their change - and the two of them joined the back of the queue. They were quickly loaded onto the ride.

 

It took some time for everyone to be loaded on, and eventually, Harry and Draco’s bench ended up at the top of the wheel while the people below were secured. Harry pointed out over the roofs stretching out before them to the horizon, where the abandoned factory was clearly visible. “Do you reckon we could see Snape’s house from here?”

 

“Possibly…”

 

It was rather windy at the top, and the carriage began to swing back and forth with a slight screech. Draco clung to the lap bar and stared at Harry with wide eyes. “Harry, er - this is safe, isn’t it?”

 

“I think so.”

 

“You think so?” Draco demanded, face going white. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

 

Harry snorted. “Are you scared of heights or something?”

 

“I’m a Quidditch player!” Draco snapped. “Obviously not, you knobhead!”

 

“Sorry, sorry,” Harry said quickly. “But yeah, it’s safe. They inspect these things all the time, I think.”

 

“Can these inspectors be trusted?” Draco demanded loftily.

 

“Yup. Muggles wouldn’t go on them if they couldn’t be.”

 

Draco continued to look vaguely sceptical, like he doubted the intellectual discretion of the other Muggles on the ride, but Harry noticed he just about managed to relax by the time the ride concluded. He still looked rather relieved to be free of the ferris wheel, though.

 

“What next?” Harry asked eagerly.

 

“No more of those just yet,” Draco said a tad faintly. Harry pulled a face, but remembering Snape’s instructions about sticking together, couldn’t do much about his refusal. It wasn’t too big of a problem, though; there were plenty of other things to do on the ground.

 

They both had a few goes on the high striker, where Harry was immensely irritated when Draco managed to hit the bell before he did. The other boy crowed about it incessantly and held it over Harry’s head until he threatened to take the hammer to Draco next. After, they took a trip through a funhouse full of oddly shaped mirrors on every wall that twisted and distorted their features, and Harry was vindicated when Draco smacked headfirst into his own reflection. He teased Draco all the way to the hook-a-duck, a game that ended up being largely unsuccessful when they hauled up the lowest possible point scores, so all they managed to win were two small lollipops. They finally ended up stalling near a claw machine, which Draco became very obsessed with.

 

“Draco, those things are rigged,” Harry said for the third time as the toy Draco was attempting to lift fell through the claw’s pincers once again. “Just give up already.”

 

“But I was so close that time!” Draco hissed, pressing his face close to the glass wall and squinting at the prizes below. “I just need a few more turns…”

 

“You’re going to spend all the money!” Harry complained.

 

“Half of it is mine,” Draco said, crossing his arms. “Come on, I’ll let you have the prize when I win it!”

 

“No.”

 

“Please, Harry, I don’t know what the coins mean! Give me a hand!”

 

“Only if you agree to let me teach you what the coins are,” Harry decided.

 

Draco huffed. “Fine.”

 

“It’s really not that difficult to figure out yourself, the numbers are literally on the pieces…”

 

A few painful minutes later (Harry grouchily thought Snape owed him a huge favour for suffering through teaching Draco the difference between a twenty pence coin and a fifty pence piece) the claw machine was loaded with coins, and Draco at last found luck. The claw held fast and dropped a prize.

 

“Finally!” Draco laughed as he bent down to retrieve his reward.

 

“You only had to bankrupt us for it,” Harry muttered, feeling around in his considerably lighter pockets.

 

“Have it, then,” Draco said with a shrug, pressing a keyring into Harry’s hand. “Why don’t we get some food? I’m starving…”

 

He began to walk in the direction of a stall selling fish and chips, but Harry remained frozen in place, the screams and shouts of the funfair dying into a dull drone around him.

 

In his palm was a small keyring of a stuffed monkey.

 

Suddenly, Harry was transported back to his five-year-old self, watching Aunt Petunia place a toy monkey far out of his reach while she scowled down at his crestfallen face. His chest hurt in the same way it had that day.

 

“I do wonder what they did with the War Orphan’s stipend…”

 

That stuffed monkey he’d wanted couldn’t have cost more than five pounds.

 

Someone grabbed the crook of his elbow, and Harry flinched rather violently. He jerked his head up from the keyring and saw Draco staring at him rather worriedly. “What’s your problem?”

 

“N-Nothing,” he stammered, shoving the monkey into his pocket. Out of sight, out of mind. The sting of the memory was harder to press down, though.

 

“Get a move on, then!” Draco said impatiently. “I don’t want Severus to storm over here and kill me for abandoning you to get blown up by Sirius Black. Come on…”

 

Harry followed him to a queue, where they each bought a styrofoam container full of steaming hot chips, drenched in salt and vinegar. They sat together on the grassy verge to eat, and watched the people milling about. After a few minutes, Harry glanced to the side and noticed Draco was staring at him with a slightly strained look on his face. He frowned. “What?”

 

Draco hesitated for several moments, and stared at the grass. “Pot - Harry. I…I know I have no right to ask you this, considering everything but - but please. Don’t tell anyone about my, er… my reaction to Pansy’s news the other day.”

 

Harry’s mouth fell open - not from the request, but from Draco’s tone. He sounded apologetic. He’d said please. Something about the desperation in his voice made Harry’s heart seize, and he quickly said, “I wasn’t going to.”

 

Draco gave him a dubious look, and Harry pressed on. “Look. While we’ve been with Snape, I think both of us have seen things about each other that we wouldn’t want people at Hogwarts to know.” The bruises. “Do you know about mutually assured destruction?”

 

“Of course,” Draco said loftily. “It’s the idea of attack deterrence because an attack on either side would result in the complete annihilation of all parties.”

 

“Well, it’s like that,” Harry said. “I won’t tell anyone about your personal stuff because you know too much about me that you could also tell everyone at school, and vice versa. Even if we don’t trust each other I think we can trust that we don’t want any of our personal stuff getting out.”

 

Draco looked visibly relieved at that statement. “Good point…”

 

“And for what it’s worth, I wouldn’t have said anything anyway,” Harry added. “It would just be the wrong thing to do.”

 

Draco looked at him for a long stretch, and snorted. “You can be annoyingly decent, you know.”

 

“Care to reward my annoying decency with another go on a ride?” Harry asked, finishing his last chip and licking the salt off his fingers. “I want a go on the carousel.”

 

“I knew you had a Slytherin side buried somewhere,” Draco muttered, throwing their empty containers into a nearby bin.

 

“I nearly got sorted into Slytherin, you know,” Harry confessed as he started to walk over to the ride queue. Draco abruptly grabbed onto his arm and whirled him back around. His mouth was hanging open, and he seemed lost for words.

 

“You’re lying!” he shouted when he recovered his wits.

 

“It’s true!” Harry laughed, freeing his arm. “The Sorting Hat said I’d do well there, actually.”

 

“Why didn’t you get sorted into Slytherin, then?” Draco demanded.

 

“Er - dunno. Guess the hat just decided I’d do better in Gryffindor.”

 

Harry thought it probably wasn’t best to say he’d specifically requested anywhere but Slytherin, in large part because of Draco and his general prattishness.

 

“It was probably for the best,” Draco decided. “If we’d shared a common room and a dormitory, I think there’s a high chance we would have killed each other by now.”

 

“You’ve got that right,” Harry agreed, thinking of the tense atmosphere of the last few weeks. “Hurry up and get in the queue with me!”

 

“Fine, fine…”

 

Draco began to trail behind Harry as he headed straight for the carousel.

 

“Do me a favour, Harry,” Draco said.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Tell Severus you almost sorted Slytherin, and let me be there when you say it.” Draco smirked. “He’ll have a brain aneurysm.”

 

Harry chuckled. “I bet he would.”

 

“What is this thing you’re dragging me on, then?” Draco asked. He stared at the carousel, looking mildly alarmed. “Why have the Muggles stuck poles through horse corpses?”

 

Harry turned to him in horror. “They aren’t real!” 

 

“Really?”

 

“No way!” Harry said quickly. “It’s all mechanical, they’re made of metal! They move up and down and stuff, look. It’s more electricity.”

 

Draco watched closely as the carousel started. He looked utterly perplexed. “I just don’t get it. What’s the point?” 

 

“It’s just fun!” Harry said, rolling his eyes. “It doesn’t need to have a point! Just wait and see…”

 


 

“So?” Harry asked, as they stepped off the ride. “Any good?"

 

“It wasn’t an entirely worthless experience,” Draco admitted rather reluctantly. “It was sort of like riding a broom, but slower.”

 

“Will you try more of the rides, then?” Harry asked.

 

“I suppose,” Draco agreed. “If I’m being forced to live like a Muggle, I might as well partake in some of the more enjoyable activities, as well as the menial.”

 

Harry tried to hide his grin as they headed over to a faster-looking ride. Draco had just referred to something Muggle as enjoyable. Something about that was immensely satisfying.

 

“Are there no funfairs in the wizarding world, then?” Harry asked curiously.

 

Draco shook his head. “We have a couple of the same games and the ferris wheel, as I mentioned, but not much else."

 

Harry whistled. That was really quite strange to him.

 

“Well, let’s make the most of this one, then,” he decided.

 

Harry was also making up for a lot of lost time that night. Every single ride he went on felt like a great big middle finger to the stupid Dursleys, who would be irritated to know he was having any sort of fun. While Harry didn’t know how you were supposed to make up for the childhood you’d missed out on so long after the fact, at last getting to experience these things did help to ease a bit of the sting, strangely enough.

 

“So, what’s that pink stuff?” Draco asked, pointing at a young boy holding onto a stick of candyfloss.

 

“Candyfloss. Want some?"

 

“What is it?” Draco asked a little nervously.

 

“Just sugar, I think,” Harry said. He’d never actually had any himself, but Dudley seemed to enjoy it. “Let’s go buy some.”

 

Ten minutes later, a wide-eyed Draco was staring at the remains of his candyfloss in awe. “Now that is a Muggle thing I can get behind.”

 

“It is pretty good,” Harry remarked, smiling to himself.

 

“I can’t believe Honeydukes hasn’t patented this yet!” Draco said, clearly shocked. “It’s incredible! Can you buy this anywhere else? I have to ask Severus to get some!”

 

“He probably hates it, you know,” Harry said. “Miserable git that he is. He definitely won’t buy it.”

 

“I’ll wear him down,” Draco announced.

 

Harry sat back with a satisfied sigh, but his shoulders slumped slightly as he noticed the gradually pinkening sky. Snape had specifically ordered them to be back before dark, and sunset was drawing ever closer. And, shockingly enough, he’d just had a day out with Draco and had immensely enjoyed it.

 

A whole day with Draco, where he’d willingly interacted with the Muggle world with nary an insult. Harry was reluctantly coming to realise that maybe - just maybe - Snape was telling the truth when he said Draco was changing. Harry didn’t quite know what to do about it, or what to do about the fact that a Draco who was less focused on constantly degrading Muggles and Muggleborns was quite good fun. He had to keep reminding himself that Draco was also Malfoy, the nasty boy he knew from Hogwarts.

 

The two people were becoming more and more distinct in his mind.

 

Suddenly, Harry noticed an orange glow at the very edge of the fairground, where a small group of people had gathered.

 

“Hey, Draco, can you see that?” he said, pointing to the rising torrent of flames. “A bonfire! Let’s go have a look.”

 

Harry was almost halfway to the bonfire when he realised the sound of footsteps on the grass behind him had stopped. He glanced over his shoulder and saw that Draco was frozen in place, the reflections of the firelight flickering in his wide grey eyes. He started to slowly take a few steps backwards before completely sprinting in the opposite direction.

 

Harry muttered an oath under his breath and started running after him, remembering Snape’s vaguely threatening instructions about sticking together. Draco was surprisingly fast, and it took him a good couple of minutes to catch up with the other boy when he finally stopped running and leaned heavily against a tree far away from the Muggles, gasping for breath.

 

“What are you doing?” Harry asked when he finally caught up. “Why did you -”

 

“Just go away, Potter!” Draco shouted.

 

Harry suddenly felt as though a heavy object had smacked into his chest. He stumbled back several steps before he lost his balance and fell to the ground with a thud. He grimaced and struggled to get his breath back, since the force of the impact had winded him a little, and gingerly lifted himself from the ground to try and see Draco. He had slid to the grass by now, although he was facing away from Harry and staring pointedly at the tree in front of him. His shoulders were heaving up and down with rapid breaths.

 

He hadn’t touched Harry, but that forceful shove had almost certainly originated from Draco. Harry wasn’t the only one struggling with occasional bouts of accidental magic, it seemed.

 

And as he got to his feet and started to slowly walk towards Draco, Harry realised Draco’s chest wasn’t heaving from the exertion of running. No, he seemed to be panicking. He was practically hyperventilating, actually.

 

Harry’s mind suddenly flashed back to a couple of weeks ago, when Draco had gotten into that explosive argument with Snape and started throwing things, or the shouting, crying breakdown he’d had just two days ago. After everything that had come out about the Dursleys, Harry often forgot he wasn’t the only one living at Spinner’s End who was grappling with some serious issues. No, Draco certainly had some significant problems of his own, even if Harry didn’t know the precise details of what they were…

 

So, he was rather hesitant and slow as he approached Draco, not quite sure what the right thing to do was. Harry intentionally took heavy footsteps so Draco knew he was approaching. The other boy didn’t look up, though.

 

“We can go back to Spinner’s End, if you’d like?” he suggested quietly.

 

“Fine,” Draco said in a tight voice. He got up from the ground and rubbed a hand across his face, intentionally not looking at Harry. “I’m sick of this Muggle nonsense, anyway.”

 

Somehow, the comment didn’t anger Harry like it usually would. Perhaps it was because of the hollowness behind Draco’s words, or the pinched, unhappy look of his face as he finally turned back to Harry. He knew Draco’s dignity mattered to him quite a lot, and certainly didn’t think it was right to start an argument with Draco when something was so clearly wrong with him, so Harry didn’t respond to the mean-spirited comment. They walked through the fairground in silence and emerged into the quiet streets beyond.

 

They were halfway to Spinner’s End when Draco suddenly wheeled around and glared at him. “Don’t you dare ask me about it.”

 

“I wasn’t going to,” Harry said with an intentionally casual shrug. “I’m not Snape, you know. I don’t have to drag every secret of your life out of you.”

 

“Good.”

 

Harry was, admittedly, dying with curiosity about the situation, but Draco had been very good about not asking prying questions when Harry had had his various minor freakouts over the last few weeks. He felt obligated to extend the same courtesy. It had been the bonfire that had triggered the incident, that Harry was certain of. Draco had been happy and laughing up until he’d seen that. It was like a switch had gone off.

 

But why?

 

Draco certainly didn’t want to provide him with answers. They walked back to Spinner’s End in perfect silence.

 

Snape opened the door to let them in just as Harry had raised his hand to knock. He had a strange knack for sensing when they were nearby. Either that, or he’d been stalking their location through Harry’s tracker. Snape raked his eyes up and down the two of them, before they gradually settled on Draco’s haggard face. He crooked a finger. “You. Come with me.”

 

Draco scowled. “I don’t need -”

 

“With me,” Snape said firmly. He reached out a hand, placed it on Draco’s shoulder, and steered him into the living room. As the door clicked shut, Harry decided to take himself upstairs. He shrugged his jacket off, sat back on the bed, and took the keychain out of his pocket. He squeezed it in the palm of his hand, the cool glass of the eyes pressing into his skin.

 

It wasn’t quite the one that Aunt Petunia had torn from his hands in the supermarket that day when he was five years old, but every time Harry looked at it, he felt a strange stirring sensation in his chest. Something about finally being given this object that had been so harshly ripped from him when he was young felt oddly meaningful.

 

Harry would never understand why that particular memory of the supermarket stung the way it did. The Dursleys had done much worse to him, after all…

 

It was quite a long time before someone came upstairs. It was Snape, alone, features devoid of emotion. By now, Harry had gotten quite good at recognising when his face was particularly blank, signifying that he was Occluding. Odd - Snape normally only started using Occlumency when Harry was frustrating him, or when he was discussing something about the Dursleys…

 

“Is Draco okay?” he asked

 

“Yes, but he wants to be alone,” Snape said. “Apart from that incident, did you two enjoy yourselves?”

 

“Yeah.” Harry smiled and glanced down at the keychain in his hand.

 

When he looked back up at Snape, the man's expression had completely shifted. Snape’s Occlumency had slipped, and the look on his face was one of deep pain, drawing his lips into a thin, unhappy frown. His eyes were downcast and oddly dull. When he noticed Harry watching, Snape shook the expression from his face so quickly Harry was half-certain he'd just been imagining it.

 

“Would you like to make dinner?” he asked.

 

“Er - we ate at the fair,” Harry said, nervousness rising up in him. Was that not allowed? Had he done something wrong?

 

“And filled up on sweets, I suppose,” Snape said, giving him a knowing look.

 

“They were selling chips at a stall and we ate there too, so…”

 

“If you find yourself hungry later, you are to help yourself to something in the kitchen, understood?”

 

Harry nodded, relieved it didn’t seem like he was in trouble.

 

Despite that, Snape was still looking at him really strangely. Even though his face was blank, there was something odd stirring under the surface as he watched Harry that he couldn’t quite put a finger on.

 

“Is everything alright, sir?”

 

Snape opened his mouth, then hesitated. That, more than anything, was incredibly peculiar. Snape was many things, but he was not a hesitant or doubtful person from what Harry had seen of him. Snape always knew what he wanted and what to say. This was completely and utterly out of character, and it set Harry’s teeth on edge.

 

In the end, Snape simply shook his head. “It’s nothing. I’ll be downstairs if you need something.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Snape stared at Harry for a very long moment, eyebrows knitted together, before he pulled the door closed. Harry frowned to himself, staring at the place where the man had been standing moments before. Despite what Snape was claiming, he knew something wasn’t quite right here. Anxiousness seemed to worm its way into Harry’s gut. Maybe it was all related to Draco, and the strange fit of panic he’d had earlier? That sort of made sense…

 

But Harry didn’t think that was quite right. No, Snape had been watching him. There was something going on. Harry just got the unshakeable feeling the man knew something he didn’t want to let onto quite yet.

 


 

A few hours later, Harry was woken from a sound sleep to someone shaking his shoulder. He blearily opened his eyes, only to jolt back when he saw Draco’s face mere inches from his own. Harry opened his mouth to shout out with alarm, but Draco clapped a hand over it.

 

“Shh!” he hissed. “You’re going to want to come with me - the Headmaster is downstairs right now, talking to Severus, and you can hear them from the landing. I think they’re having some kind of argument!”

 

Harry pushed himself up, snatched his glasses off the desk next to his bed and jammed them onto his face. “Really?”

 

“Yes,” Draco whispered, “and they’re talking about you. Come with me, now.”

To be continued...
A Midnight Confrontation by aspionage

Harry crept out of the bedroom with Draco, heart in his throat. He was suddenly very grateful that Snape was still forcing him and Draco to keep their door open at night so he could hear if they tried to kill each other in their sleep or whatever it was he thought was going to happen. It meant that the door’s hinges didn’t creak as they snuck through the open door and sat together on the top step of the staircase. Harry peered between the bannisters. The house was dark, but light was spilling through a crack in the living room door so a single golden beam slashed through the gloom, hitting the wall of the staircase right beneath Draco’s foot. He looked at Harry and slowly placed a finger over his lips before inclining his head in the direction of the living room door. Harry tried to quiet his breathing so he could make out the muffled voices of the people within.

 

“- shouldn’t have done it, Severus,” Dumbledore said. “You should have gone through me.”

 

“I didn’t have to, actually,” Snape said coolly. “Informing you is merely a formality. Minerva is the Head of Child Welfare and Safeguarding at Hogwarts, as you well know. I only needed her permission and support to investigate a child’s home life and potentially remove him from his guardians, and -”

 

“This was not just any child, and you know it,” Dumbledore interrupted. “This was Harry Potter.”

 

Harry stiffened. Draco sharply looked up at him, a question he couldn’t voice waiting in the contours of his frown.

 

“To me, Harry Potter is like any other child and deserves to be treated as such,” Snape said sharply. “His fame and legacy ought to make no difference when it comes to a situation like this.”

 

Dumbledore scoffed - an odd sound to hear the Headmaster make, Harry thought. “I did not realise you employed such a philosophy in regard to him, Severus. After all, you’ve spent the last two years treating him like the reincarnation of James Potter, haven’t you?”

 

“Don’t throw that in my face,” Snape growled. Harry could easily imagine the scowl that was almost certainly affixed to his features. “When I realised what that boy has been through, I recognised the errors of my ways and have been doing everything I can to make up for it. You would do well to recognise the error of yours! Still putting him with those awful people, even after Minerva warned you what they were like, that they were the most awful sort of Muggles, and you still left him there -”

 

“I knew they were not ideal people,” Dumbledore said, “but a flawed character does not automatically make someone a child abuser. You cannot truly expect me to have predicted their treatment of him!”

 

Harry tensed.

 

“You should have checked!” Snape shouted, his voice crisp and clear as it carried through the house. “Why, Albus, why didn’t you?!”

 

“Because Petunia expressly refused to have any kind of contact with wizards if she was to take the boy in,” Dumbledore said, his voice jarringly soft next to Snape’s bellows. “And it’s not as though I left him unattended, Arabella was there -”

 

“And she told you they didn’t get on, didn’t she?” Snape hissed. “Figg said as much to me earlier! You didn’t exactly do much after she wrote to you and said they were horrid to the boy!”

 

Harry’s jaw dropped. Mrs Figg, his cat-obsessed neighbour who babysat him, knew the Headmaster? And what did Snape mean he'd been talking to her?!

 

“Yes, Arabella told me they didn’t get on, but neither of us realised the extent of it!” Dumbledore said, the irritation clear in his voice. “And once again, Severus - I assumed he was unhappy. That was all I thought it was. Considering the importance of keeping him at Privet Drive for his safety, I had to overlook that so he would stay alive! Unhappy does not necessarily mean abused -”

 

“Oh, you wouldn’t know abuse if it hit you over the head with a Beater's bat,” Snape muttered. There was the faint creak and groan of floorboards - it sounded like he was pacing.

 

“That is a highly unfair accusation.”

 

“It’s not, since you decided to invite yourself into my house in the middle of the night, ready to lecture me about rightfully terminating their custody!”

 

“That is not my problem, Severus. My issue lies with you going behind my back,” Dumbledore said with the air of someone who was struggling mightily to maintain their patience. “My issue is with you single handedly destroying the blood wards that keep Harry safe from Lord Voldemort.”

 

Harry gripped the edge of the stair he was sitting on, feeling something in his stomach lurch. What did the Headmaster mean? Were those wards really gone? The ones linked to his blood protection? Why?

 

“You acted rashly, Severus,” Dumbledore said reproachfully. “Do you even realise what you’ve done? That was the one place he was truly safe during the summers, when he’s away from Hogwarts. Those wards were irreplaceable, and now that you’ve destroyed them, I cannot undo your damage.”

 

“My damage?” Snape said incredulously. “Petunia was perfectly happy to wash her hands of him when I asked her if she'd give him up! If these oh-so important blood wards were as strong as you imply, I shouldn’t have been able to destroy them with a few well-placed words! They wanted nothing to do with him, Albus! It was shocking!"

 

Harry pressed his lips together, his chest tightening. They wanted nothing to do with him. He knew the Dursleys hated him, though. It shouldn't still sting.

 

Moments later, the words Snape had said finally registered. When I asked her if she’d give him up. Harry’s blood ran cold. As far as Harry was aware, Snape hadn’t spoken to Harry’s aunt in over a decade. Why were the two of them suddenly talking?

 

Snape couldn’t have gone to Privet Drive, could he?

 

“If Lord Voldemort regains his powers, you’ve as good as killed that boy,” Dumbledore said coldly. “No amount of warding can replicate Lily’s protections.”

 

“My warding can still do a damn good job,” Snape growled. “I know spells, Dark spells, and I am more than willing to use them for Harry’s sake if I must. That’s why you entrusted him to me for this time period, as you’ll recall? Because of my aptitude for Defence Against the Dark Arts? I am able to keep the boy safe in a way no one else can, in a way that might parallel Lily’s blood sacrifice.”

 

“Are you forgetting that this is the same boy I had to argue with you for hours about when I was convincing you to take him in for less than a month?” Dumbledore said sceptically. “I highly doubt you’re willing to house James Potter’s son every summer until he reaches his majority…”

 

“I am willing to house Harry.” Snape paused for a moment. “You do not need to worry about the warding being broken. You know perfectly well I can keep him safe and I will do it, Albus. I will protect that child with my life if I have to. You remember my oath."

 

Harry was reeling. Was this really what it sounded like? Snape was willing to - to take him in? What did that even mean? Still, Harry shook himself and pushed the questions to one side for now. He had to keep listening.

 

"I believe you're incapable of safely guarding him if you're letting your emotions blind you to the important things."

 

"You didn't see the things I did, Albus," Snape said, his voice terse and shaky. "You know I am capable of Occluding my emotions to the Dark Lord himself, but what those people did to him, what I saw -"

 

"Ah, yes, the things you saw when you Legilimised a pair of Muggles, correct?" Dumbledore interrupted. “Without permission or consent?”

 

Harry felt like the bottom had dropped out of his stomach. Suddenly, the confusing pieces of the conversation all fell into place.

 

Snape had gone to Surrey. He’d spoken to Mrs Figg, he’d spoken to the Dursleys, and he’d Legilimised them? What had he seen in their minds? Dudley’s bullying, his uncle hitting him, the starvation, the horrid comments, the cupboard? Harry thought he might actually be sick when he thought about Snape seeing that. This was a nightmare. This was hell.

 

Draco suddenly grabbed onto Harry's wrist and held his other hand in the air in a placating gesture. Calm down, he mouthed. Harry suddenly realised he was dangerously close to losing control of his magic and took a few deep, shaky breaths, biting down on the flesh of his cheek until the copper tang of blood flooded his mouth. This was the best information he'd gotten in weeks, and he couldn't screw it up now by having some sort of breakdown.

 

Snape was still speaking, and Harry did his best to tune back in. "- subsection 13J strictly stated that I can legally use Legilimency upon the parents or guardians of a child enduring suspected abuse."

 

"They're Muggles who were defenceless against mental attacks."

 

"Defenceless? Harry was defenceless!" Snape roared. Harry couldn't help but flinch back, even though the shouting was far away. "I saw everything they did to him, Albus, when he was far too young to protect himself! They hit him, berated him, neglected him. They locked him in a cupboard for ten years of his life, all with two perfectly serviceable and unoccupied bedrooms in their house! Don't you dare call those disgusting people defenceless, or I will hex you right where you stand."

 

Harry felt very ill by now. He had pins and needles in his hands and did his best to gasp past the rock that had lodged itself in his chest. So Snape definitely knew about the cupboard then. That, for some reason, was just too awful for Harry to bear. He felt like he could float out of his body at any moment, and the only thing tethering him in place was Draco's hand, still tightly clutching Harry's wrist.

 

Oh God. Draco. Harry whipped his head to the side and saw the other boy watching him with an expression of unmitigated horror. His silver eyes had gone wide, trained on Harry’s face.

 

Draco knew now, too.

 

Harry yanked his hand away and wrapped his arms around his knees, drawing them close to his chest. He buried his face in his arms, trying to make himself as small as possible. He felt Draco tapping him on the shoulder, but couldn’t look up. Dumbledore and Snape’s words continued to wash over him, even as Harry now found himself wishing he’d never overheard any of this at all.

 

"Albus, it is a miracle the boy is not an Obscurial," Snape growled. "The things they did to his magic…they punished him for his accidental magic, did I mention that? I didn't need to Legilimise those disgusting excuses for humans to discover that. The boy has a panic attack any time he exhibits harmless accidental magic. Do you know why? Because as a child, when he did the same thing all wizarding children do when he was scared or angry, they would lock him up and starve him. You should be ashamed of yourself!"

 

"If you think I am not utterly ashamed of myself, you have severely misjudged the situation," the Headmaster said heavily. “Do you think I wanted things to turn out this way, Severus? Do you think it brings me pleasure to discover all of this? I am just as disgusted as you are to learn this information. I had hoped Petunia would treat him like a second son, and I am bitterly disappointed!”

 

Dumbledore sounded angrier than Harry had ever heard him. He was normally so calm and serene, and the terrible edge to his voice made Harry shiver. It had also seemingly cowed Snape, and silence fell in the living room. Harry still didn't look up. He kept his face buried in his knees and clenched his hair in his fists so it tugged painfully at his scalp.

 

It was quite a while before someone spoke again. Dumbledore broke the silence. "Even if the wards were replaceable, I… I would not place him back there now, Severus. Not knowing what you've informed me. I simply wish you'd given me a little bit of time to work out a proper plan before destroying those wards. I don’t appreciate you going behind my back."

 

"I saw no alternative," Snape said. His voice sounded rather hollow. "We will never agree on how I handled this matter, Headmaster, so I think it best we simply drop it and look to the future to make these plans you speak of. You'll appreciate I intentionally did not inform the Ministry of this matter?"

 

"Indeed," Dumbledore said wearily. "And are you certain Vernon and Petunia will not mention relinquishing their rights to any questioning officials?"

 

"I believe I was rather…persuasive," Snape said eventually. "We'll face no trouble with them. At any rate, I doubt they would ever speak to a witch or wizard who showed up asking questions. Minerva and myself practically had to force our way in.”

 

Dumbledore sighed heavily and didn’t respond.

 

“Now, there is simply the matter of deciding Harry's future living arrangements."

 

"Indeed." Dumbledore made a slight humming noise. "And you're truly willing to take that on?"

 

"I believe I said as much earlier."

 

“But what if Lord Voldemort regains his powers?” Dumbledore queried. “Your role…”

 

“This, I think, is equally important.”

 

“True, true,” Dumbledore conceded. “Severus, I must admit I am confused. Your relationship with Harry is not exactly, ah… a close one, let’s say. Why are you suddenly so willing to look after him? I'd expect you to put up far more of a fight, not egg me on!”

 

“Things change,” Snape said shortly.

 

Dumbledore made a thoughtful sound, and Harry imagined him examining Snape over the tops of his half-moon spectacles.  “You’ve come to care for the boy, haven’t you Severus?”

 

“I think the answer to your question is rather obvious,” Snape said quietly. Harry felt a strange twinge in his chest. That almost sounded like a yes…

 

But it wasn’t.

 

“Well, I remember the promise you made me,” Dumbledore said softly. “I don’t doubt you would protect him with your life, if it came down to it.”

 

“Indeed I would.”

 

"And I want Minerva to regularly check in with Harry to make sure things are going smoothly if this is how we are going to go about things," Dumbledore said in a rather stern voice. "I am aware of the previous nature of your relationship, and if she even so much as suspects you're abusing your power over him -"

 

"Things between us have changed for good,” Snape interrupted. “That is really quite unnecessary."

 

"You've spent a quarter of an hour berating me for not doing my job properly for the last twelve years, so forgive me for wanting to do right by the boy for once."

 

"I won't fault you that, then, but let me assure you it will be an unnecessary precaution," Snape said.

 

"That is what I'm hoping." Dumbledore sighed again, a mournful sound. “Well…I suppose this is the most logical option. It’s rather late, so I shan’t stay and disrupt your night further, but we can iron out more of the details over the coming weeks, I suppose?”

 

“Yes, we can.”

 

"Severus…" Dumbledore sounded hesitant. "Do pass on my apologies to Harry for my part in what he has endured. I should have taken a closer look at precisely why he was so unhappy at Privet Drive instead of dismissing it. I have failed him."

 

"We've all failed him." Snape exhaled loudly.

 

"Indeed," Dumbledore said, so quietly that Harry had to strain his ears to hear. "I simply hope we can make up for it now."

 

"I am going to do my best, mark my words."

 

"Thank you, Severus," Dumbledore said. Harry heard a shuffling noise. "I will not impose on you any longer. We shall speak soon."

 

"Goodnight, Headmaster." Harry heard the roaring sound that indicated the use of the Floo network. Dumbledore was gone.

 

Someone tugged aggressively on the sleeve of Harry's top. He finally looked up and saw Draco staring at him, wide-eyed, and pointing frantically in the direction of their room. Harry nodded numbly, got to his feet, and followed the other boy away from the landing. It was just in time, too; the golden beam of light started to grow wider as the living room door was opened, chasing their skittering feet. Harry and Draco both dove into their beds. Harry shut his eyes and pretended to be sleeping as Snape's footsteps made the ancient staircase groan. He was shaking terribly beneath the covers, and still felt like he could be sick at any moment.

 

The shuffle of Snape’s footsteps halted as he arrived upstairs, right in the doorway of their bedroom. Harry could hear the level sound of his breathing for a few moments before Snape quietly spoke. "I know both of you are awake, and that you both presumably listened to that conversation. I heard your footsteps as I came upstairs, and Harry, you're still wearing your glasses."

 

Harry winced.

 

"Both of you get up and come downstairs," Snape ordered. "We ought to discuss what you overheard…"

 

For once, Harry wasn't annoyed by the prospect of a chat with Snape. He had a lot of questions of his own, that much was certain.

 

As Harry stood up, he had to tightly grab onto the desk to steady himself as there was a strange rushing sensation in his ears. Once he regained his wits, he walked out of the room after Draco and realised Snape had watched this all unfold, his shadowed face frowning. He followed closely behind Harry as he walked down the stairs, like he was prepared to snatch him from the air if he lost his balance again.

 

It was the first time that Harry had seen Snape out of his typical black robes, or the very formal clothing he wore into the Muggle world. Dumbledore had obviously caught him by surprise, since Snape was instead wearing a dark green dressing gown over pyjamas. Well, it was late. As Harry and Draco sat down in the living room, he glanced up to the clock on the mantelpiece and realised it was half-past two.

 

"Draco, I am extraordinarily annoyed with you," Snape said tightly. "This is not the first time I have caught you listening in on things that are none of your business, and you know I do not care for it."

 

"Wasn't like you were trying to keep your voice down," Draco muttered.

 

"The majority of our conversation would have been inaudible if you had simply stayed put!" Snape said irritably. "It was none of your business, and you shouldn't have listened. And Harry." He turned to face him, face stern. "While we have not had an in-depth conversation about eavesdropping, I am certain you know it is something that would displease me?"

 

A hot wave of anger surged through Harry. "I don't care! It wasn't eavesdropping because you were talking about me, you prick!"

 

Suddenly, something on the mantelpiece shattered. Harry froze in place, his heart immediately speeding up. Snape slowly got out his wand and pointed it at the porcelain ornament which had split clean in two. "Reparo. Do you require a Calming Draught, Harry?"

 

"No," he said roughly. "I'm… I'm fine."

 

"If you begin to grow too upset, I will insist," Snape warned.

 

"I said I'm fine!" Harry hissed. "I'm just - well, obviously I'm a bit on edge, since you went and Legilimised my fucking relatives! How could you?!"

 

"If you continue to swear at me, I will count that as you growing too upset to continue," Snape said quietly. Harry bit down on his lip, struggling not to let loose another string of expletives. He was extraordinarily angry at that moment, and Snape’s unflappable calm was making him even more annoyed. He took several deep breaths, trying to calm down the loud pulsing in his ears.

 

“Yes, I used Legilimency upon the Dursleys,” Snape said. “It was not to be intentionally cruel, Harry. It was so I could determine precisely what had been done to you when Professor McGonagall and myself visited Privet Drive to finalise your removal from their custody. It was perfectly legal, you know.”

 

“That doesn’t matter!” Harry said loudly. “I didn’t want you to know all of it, Snape, it’s embarrassing!”

 

“There are many words I would use to describe what the Dursleys did to you, but embarrassing is not one of them.”

 

“Well it should be!” Harry shouted, his voice cracking. “You don’t understand!”

 

“Harry, it’s really not,” Draco said quietly.

 

“And you!” he whipped around to face Draco, who was looking rather concerned. “I didn’t want you knowing any of that, and now you do!”

 

“What are you annoyed at me for?” Draco demanded. “I’ve not done anything! I woke you up as soon as I realised they were talking about you and everything!”

 

“I’m annoyed because you’re going to tell everyone!” Harry shouted.

 

“No I’m not, you nitwit!” Draco hissed. “What kind of person do you think I am? I’m not going to tell people you live with abusive Muggles!”

 

Harry huffed. “Oh, sure, you’re saying that now, but the moment I do something you don’t like you’re going to spread it across the whole school, make fun of me again like you always do about my dead parents -”

 

“Oh, just shut up, Potter!” Draco shouted, jumping to his feet. “I’m not like that anymore, and if you think for a minute I’d tell people about that stuff you’re even more of a stupid little -”

 

“Gentlemen!” Snape bellowed. He got to his feet and placed himself in between Harry and Draco, his nostrils flaring. “Draco. This is hard enough for him without you making things worse. If you cannot pull yourself together, leave.”

 

“I’ll be fine,” Draco muttered, sitting back down.

 

“And you,” Snape said, turning back to Harry. “Take a deep breath and calm yourself down before I have to intervene. I want to explain what has happened tonight, and things will go a lot more smoothly if you stop shouting at everyone.”

 

Harry nodded and drew his knees close to his chest, which felt like it was being crushed by an iron press. Breathing was hard, and his heart was a stuttering drumbeat in his chest.

 

“And if it helps you feel any better, if you are not assured of Draco’s sincerity, if he even so much as breathes a word about the Dursleys to anyone at Hogwarts, I will personally make sure he lives to regret it for the rest of his sorry life.” Snape shot a withering glare at Draco, who shrank back slightly.

 

“I’m really not going to tell anyone,” he said again, voice soft and uncertain.

 

“I’ll believe that when I see it, Malfoy,” Harry muttered, glaring at the other boy.

 

“Draco,” Snape corrected him sharply. “My rules still stand - no more last names. Now, would you like for me to explain what you overheard?”

 

“Yeah.” Harry rubbed his arms to try and press away the goosebumps and looked up at Snape. “I… I really don’t have to go back?”

 

“Never.”

 

Harry nodded jerkily, an odd lump in his throat. He felt a burning behind his eyes and tried to hide his face. Harry would not cry in front of Draco. Absolutely not.

 

“And - and I’m living with you, then?” he whispered.

 

“Yes,” Snape said. “And I don’t want a fuss about staying with Weasley or Granger. I know you may dislike me, but the Headmaster only wants someone who is sufficiently magically capable, and I am the only one who meets these requirements, so -”

 

“I wasn’t going to complain.”

 

“Oh.” Snape stopped speaking, and seemed to deflate slightly. He looked surprised. “Well, I’m glad you’re able to see things that way.”

 

Harry nodded, and leaned his head against the side of the sofa, feeling too weary to hold it up on his own. He wasn’t entirely sure how he felt about living with Snape, in all honesty, but he at least knew it was certainly a far sight better than staying with the Dursleys. Unless Snape reverted back to the way he usually acted, that was…

 

“Now, you may have picked up on the fact that this arrangement is… quite hushed up,” Snape said hesitantly. “Your fame and status complicates matters. If you were removed from the Dursleys’ custody through the mainstream government channels, the Ministry for Magic might try to take over your custody. I’m sure you can imagine the undesirable implications of such a situation…”

 

“Yeah.” Harry shivered. He had a sudden vision of himself sitting on a stage in front of a hundred witches and wizards, all bidding for his custody like eager buyers at an auction.

 

“The Dursleys agreed to sign away their guardianship rights to me in exchange for our silence in regard to their treatment of you.” Snape’s lip curled into a sneer. “There is no statute of limitations on their crimes, however, so if you wished to have them prosecuted, your opportunity has not passed you by. You simply need to wait until you’re of age and out of the Ministry’s potential reach.”

 

“Prosecute?” Harry said numbly. His ears were ringing again. “Like - like they could actually get in trouble?”

 

“A topic for a different day, I believe,” Snape said quickly, “but yes. For now, I must impress upon you - both of you - how important it is to keep my guardianship of Harry quiet. The Headmaster has some tricks up his sleeve in case this little arrangement becomes public knowledge, but things will be significantly simpler if the two of you do not mention this custodial situation to anyone.”

 

“Who am I even going to tell?” Draco asked, raising an eyebrow. “Are you forgetting about how everyone hates me now?”

 

Harry turned back to Snape, alarmed. “Er - sir. I…I already sent letters to Ron and Hermione and told them I was staying here with you. I’m really sorry, I -”

 

Harry stopped speaking as Snape held up a hand and pursed his lips. “I suppose that’s…acceptable. They’re capable of keeping a secret?”

 

“Oh, yeah, definitely.”

 

“It’s fine for them to know, then. They are your closest friends, after all. I simply request you keep the matter quiet from any of your other…Gryffindor compatriots.” Snape’s lip curled up ever so slightly.

 

“I won’t tell them,” Harry promised.

 

“And Draco?”

 

“Don’t have anyone to tell,” he said again with a shrug.

 

“Good. Ensure the two of you keep it that way,” Snape said. “Now Draco, tomorrow morning, you will be doing lines as punishment for eavesdropping.”

 

Draco scowled. “But Severus -”

 

“Don’t,” Snape said sharply. “Harry, consider this a final warning. Do not listen in on my private conversations again.”

 

“Or what?” Harry muttered. “You’ll hide the fact you prodded around in my private business?”

 

Snape sighed very loudly. “As a matter of fact, I was going to tell you everything tomorrow morning. Don’t accuse me of lying,” he said sharply as Harry opened his mouth to protest. “I was going to tell you everything in regard to your circumstances. I simply needed to consult with the Headmaster first to properly confirm where you were going to be living after I destroyed those blood wards. I wasn’t entirely certain he wouldn’t dispute my newly-acquired guardianship of you once he found out what I did. I didn’t want to throw your entire life into chaos without telling you how things would end up.”

 

“Sorry, but what exactly are these blood wards everyone’s going on about?” Draco asked irritably, crossing his arms.

 

Snape hesitated for a moment. “This is once again completely confidential, Draco, and I am only telling you this because I think you are more likely to respect my need for silence with more information.” Draco nodded and leaned forwards slightly as Snape continued. “When Lily - when Harry’s mother died for him, a powerful, protective blood magic empowered by her love for him came into being. This is what allowed Harry to deflect the Killing Curse when the Dark Lord tried to kill him all those years ago, and it continues to protect him to this day. The Dark Lord cannot touch Harry without experiencing incredible pain and potential death.”

 

Draco’s face lit up with fascination. “That kind of magic is incredible! Especially when you consider that she was - well, nevermind. But Severus, you broke it?”

 

“Not entirely,” Snape said, raising one hand to his chin. “The Headmaster cast some spells, and he believes there is still a degree of this protection in Harry’s blood despite the removal of the wards at Privet Drive. It is now dormant, though. We don’t know what would happen if Harry came into contact with the Dark Lord.”

 

“Why would you destroy these wards if they were so important?” Draco asked bemusedly.

 

“It was, in all honesty, quite accidental,” Snape said with a grimace. “It was never my intention to destroy the wards when I arrived in Surrey. See, they rely on Harry considering Privet Drive his home, and require Harry’s aunt to be willing to provide him a place to stay. Petunia and myself had, ah… an exchange, shall we say, and it undid the protections on her house before I realised what was happening. Harry… well, he never had a close relationship with his aunt.”

 

“She hates me,” Harry chimed in helpfully.

 

Draco looked rather like he was sucking on a lemon. “I mean - but you’re family! Surely she doesn’t hate you -”

 

“Oh, yes she does,” Harry said darkly. “You overheard everything about my life with them, didn’t you? But trust me, the feeling’s mutual.”

 

“Due to this strained relationship, it was very easy for these wards to be destroyed, far easier than I expected,” Snape said. “But I believe it was worth it. There is no point in trying to protect someone from external dangers when they are just at risk from the dangers within.”

 

Harry cringed. By now, Draco looked utterly appalled as the pieces began to come together. “So those bruises… they were from - Harry, I - I had no idea it was -”

 

“Don’t look at me like that,” he snapped, glowering at Draco. “I don’t want your pity, so don’t you dare start -”

 

“Alright, alright! I just - I won’t tell anyone, okay?” Draco said in a small voice, shuffling in his seat. “I know you don’t believe me, but - I just really won’t. I promise.”

 

“Draco, why don’t you go back upstairs?” Snape suggested. “I need to speak to Harry alone, and it is extraordinarily late.”

 

“Er - alright, then.” Draco got to his feet and headed towards the door. He stopped just short of leaving and turned around to stare at Harry, expression pained and shocked. It was too unbearable for Harry to look at his face for too long so he stared at the floor instead, and refused to look up until Draco’s footsteps restarted.

 

As he began walking upstairs, Snape got to his feet and firmly shut the living room door. “That should take care of that. I apologise, Harry. I would have taken more precautions against prying, but the Headmaster admittedly caught me by surprise, and I had a lot on my mind.”

 

“Well, it wouldn’t have been a problem if we weren’t listening in,” Harry reluctantly admitted.

 

“Indeed,” Snape said, “although I do appreciate that Draco was the ringleader in the situation.”

 

“He probably was going to find out eventually.” Harry pulled a face. “Since we’re… living together now.”

 

“Do you now see why I am so insistent on the two of you trying to get on?” Snape asked, sitting back down and propping his elbows on his knees. “You have a fair few summers ahead of you, which you’ll be spending together. They will be far more bearable if the two of you simply drop this animosity.”

 

“I mean…he’s not that terrible,” Harry said reluctantly. “When we do football and Monopoly and stuff, I don’t mind him that much. It’s just the other stuff I have a problem with, you know?”

 

“Of course.” Snape nodded. “I am doing my utmost to make him change that.”

 

“I know.” Harry buried his face in his hands and groaned. “I wish he didn’t know. Oh my God…”

 

“He will behave with appropriate discretion, of that I can guarantee you.”

 

“But I still wish none of it happened,” Harry said miserably. “I don’t want anyone to know.”

 

“Unfortunately, Harry, you must simply accept that this is the reality of your situation.”

 

He stayed silent, face hidden. Malfoy, knowing about the Dursleys? It made Harry’s skin crawl. He’d only known a little about them before, and that had been enough for particularly hurtful comments in his verbal arsenal.

 

  “Those filthy Muggles you call a family threw you out, didn’t they, Potter?!” 

 

  “I do feel so sorry for all those people who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they’re not wanted at home…”

 

Harry grimaced.

 

“He may be able to understand more than you’d think,” Snape ventured.

 

He scoffed. “How could he possibly understand? His parents adore him. He can’t get it.”

 

“A parent can love a child, but that doesn’t always stop them from hurting their child,” Snape said softly. “And the Malfoys have hurt Draco, even though they care for him. For instance, the circumstances of their arrest were… traumatic for him, to say the least. And would you not agree that being raised in an environment that promotes the bigotry he believes is unhealthy, even if he doesn’t realise it?”

 

“I guess,” Harry said slowly. He supposed that Snape had a point there - the Malfoys had taught Draco terrible things, even though they loved him, and that had to do some damage.

 

He supposed it was a bit like Dudley’s relationship with Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon. They gave Dudley everything that he wanted and let him get away with murder so he’d turned into a spoiled bully. Even though they loved him, they were still hurting him.

 

“It reminds me of my cousin and Uncle Vernon,” Harry decided to confess, finally looking up. “I never looked up to Uncle Vernon because he’s… well, him, but I know Dudley does because they actually like each other, even though Uncle Vernon’s really not an ideal role model. It’s sort of the same with Draco and his father, isn’t it? And all of his family seems to be in Azkaban for something - he was telling me how he’s related to Sirius Black earlier. Does he have anyone to look up to in his family who isn’t in prison for some sort of terrible crime?”

 

“Draco’s aunt, Andromeda Tonks, is his only close relative who isn’t incarcerated or dead,” Snape said heavily.

 

Harry exhaled loudly. “Wow.”

 

“You two have a lot more similarities than you’d think when it comes to these matters,” Snape said. “Simply give him a chance, and he may be far more understanding about your family situation than you might expect.”

 

He shrugged. “Whatever you say.”

 

Snape didn’t respond, and Harry sunk back into the sofa cushions, feeling rather weighed down. He was still struggling to grapple with the fact that he was going to be living here, with Snape and Draco, and that was just it. No more Dursleys. He couldn’t actually believe this was happening. He’d just sort of assumed that Snape was going to get him away from them and then wash his hands of Harry.

 

But now Harry was living with him. What did that even mean? How would it all work?

 

“Sir…I’m confused.”

 

Snape inclined his head, and Harry ploughed on. “Look. You - you have to put up with me just because Dumbledore stuck you with me originally, okay? I know you hate me, and you shouldn’t get forced into living with me just because there isn’t anyone else around who might. I’m not your problem.”

 

Snape made a slightly strangled noise. “Harry, let me make one thing crystal clear. I do not hate you. Not anymore. Far from it, in fact.” He got up from his armchair and moved across the room so he was sitting next to Harry on the sofa. “I am not being forced into this in any way, shape or form. The Headmaster may be one extraordinarily powerful wizard, but he could not compel me to do this if I did not want to. In fact, as I presume you overheard, I had to quite vociferously argue him into the arrangement.”

 

“I just - I have so many problems, and I don’t think that you should have to deal with it -”

 

“Harry. Look at me.” Harry slowly raised his head and looked into Snape’s eyes. They were blazing with a fierce conviction. “I have seen everything the Dursleys did to you, and that does not change a thing. You can and will live with me, and I am going to help you through this. I give you my word.”

 

Harry looked away, the lump in his throat practically choking him, and tried to blink back the tears that had welled in his eyes. He didn’t want Snape to see them.

 

“I hope one day you will learn to trust me.”

 

Harry tensed. “I - I don’t not trust you -”

 

“Don’t lie to me. You don’t trust me…” Snape sighed, his shoulders slumping. “You never mentioned the cupboard, after all.”

 

Harry dug his nails into his palms. “That - I don’t talk about that to anyone. Not even Ron and Hermione, and they already know some of it. You - don’t you understand it’s difficult?”

 

There was a long silence. After a moment, Harry chanced a look at Snape’s face and noticed some of the pain on his features slowly fade into nothingness, to be replaced with the blank, slack expression of Occlumency.

 

“You’re right,” Snape said finally. “It is difficult. But you need to try and talk about it, for your sake. If not with me, then with Professor McGonagall, or one of your friends. Just someone.”

 

“I…I will try,” Harry said. “It just might take some time.”

 

“These things often do.”

 

“Um…the cupboard was why I said the stuff I did about Professor McGonagall not caring the other day,” Harry mumbled. “My Hogwarts letter was addressed to the cupboard under the stairs. Since she signed it and all, I sort of assumed she knew.”

 

Snape tutted. “Harry, Minerva does not individually address those letters. She has a spell that does it for her.”

 

“Oh.” Harry pressed his lips together, suddenly filled with extraordinarily powerful guilt. He shouldn’t have assumed that about Professor McGonagall, he supposed. Harry still forgot how much witches and wizards relied on magic.

 

“This is why it can be helpful to talk about these things, you realise,” Snape said, tapping a finger against his leg. “You can dispel misconceptions you didn’t even realise you had.”

 

Harry nodded, not trusting himself to speak. He knew Snape was right, of course. As irritating as Snape’s forceful talks could be, they’d already taught Harry a thing or two. He’d learnt things about the Dursleys and himself he’d always considered to be normal just weren’t, and he wouldn’t have figured that out by himself.

 

Like it or not, Snape had helped him. Nothing could change that.

 

“I was really going to tell you,” Harry said softly. “About the… the, um…”

 

“The cupboard?” Snape prompted.

 

Harry pulled a face and nodded. He hadn’t been able to force the words through, for some reason.

 

“I did sense that there was something you were keeping from me,” Snape sighed.

 

“I kept trying to say but I just couldn’t, you know? Sorry.”

 

“You don’t need to apologise for that!” Snape said exasperatedly. “Merlin’s beard…”

 

Harry stared at the ground and didn’t respond, feeling rather depleted.

 

“The fact that they did that, when there were two perfectly good bedrooms -” Snape made an angry growling noise at the back of his throat. “Petunia truly is a spiteful old shrew.”

 

Harry didn’t disagree. “They moved me into Dudley’s second bedroom eventually, at least.”

 

This answer did not seem to please Snape, whose expression turned into an all-out snarl. “Needless to say, nothing of that nature will ever happen in my house, do you understand me?”

 

Harry nodded, and wrapped his arms around himself. He just couldn’t believe Snape had actually seen it. Every time Harry thought about it he got cold all over, like he’d just walked through a Hogwarts ghost.

 

Snape glanced towards the clock and winced. “Unless there’s anything you’d like to talk about immediately, perhaps it would be best for you to go to bed, and save the rest of this discussion for tomorrow. It’s almost three - you must be exhausted.”

 

Harry nodded, and slowly got to his feet, relieved they didn’t have to talk about this anymore for now. “Right. Okay.”

 

He started walking to the door, but stopped when Snape cleared his throat. “Is there anything you’d like to talk about?”

 

Harry almost immediately responded with a no, but stopped himself moments before the words left his mouth. He didn’t know if he exactly trusted Snape yet, but he still had something he needed to say.

 

“I just…I want to say thank you,” he said finally. “I know you had your issues with my dad, but you’ve helped me anyway. No one else tried this hard to get me away from the Dursleys.” He swallowed hard. “And you did, even though I’ve been really fighting you on it, so…thanks.”

 

“I don’t need your thanks,” Snape said stiffly. “It’s the least any adult could do for a child in your situation.”

 

“Yes, but…just thanks anyway, sir.”

 

Snape stroked his chin thoughtfully. “You know, if you’re living with me on a more permanent basis, perhaps Draco has a point about you calling me Severus. Would you be willing to give that a go?”

 

“Er…okay. Thank you, S-Severus.” Harry pulled a face. That felt completely and utterly wrong to say, and he was never going to do it again. Nope, never.

 

Snape, shockingly enough, smiled. It was thin and strangled, but still present. “We’ll work on it, I suppose. Goodnight, Harry.”

 

He nodded and finally left the living room, allowing the misery to fully spread across his face once the gloom hid his features. As Harry slipped back into his bedroom, he noticed Draco had fallen asleep on top of the covers. It looked like he had been waiting up to speak to Harry, but he’d been downstairs in the living room with Snape for too long.

 

Harry could not imagine calling him Severus. Ugh.

 

He laid back on his own bed - his bed for good, now, from what Snape was saying. Harry really couldn’t believe he was actually staying here. With Snape and Draco. Forever. He thought it should horrify him more than it did…

 

Harry knew his basis for judgement was skewed. He’d grown up with the Dursleys, after all, and they had been admittedly awful. Almost anybody would look good by comparison. He’d never have chosen to get stuck with Snape as a guardian, but all things considered, he hadn’t been utterly unbearable so far this summer. He was weirdly paranoid about mass-murderers, and he lost his temper and shouted sometimes, but compared to the Dursleys, he was practically a saint. Harry knew intellectually that none of this was ideal, but as far as things went in his life, this wasn’t the worst thing to ever happen to him. After all, Snape seemed pretty hell-bent on helping him, even when Harry didn’t have it in him to help himself. As hard as it was to admit, maybe he needed that.

 

But Harry just didn’t know for certain that everything would be alright. Snape obviously didn’t want this. After all, he’d been forced into it by Dumbledore originally! Just because he was saying he was willing to do it now didn’t mean he was telling the truth…

 

And from the sounds of things, Snape was only becoming Harry’s guardian because he was the only one qualified to do the job. The same had been true for Aunt Petunia - she was the only one who could make the blood wards work, so she was forced to take Harry in. She had hated every second of it, and had made that perfectly clear for his entire childhood. Snape would surely grow to resent this as much as Harry’s aunt had, and everything would switch. Life here would be just as bad as life at Privet Drive if he just gave it time, only this time, he wouldn’t have an escape through Hogwarts like he’d had with the Dursleys.

 

Unless Snape washed his hands of Harry, of course. That option was still far too likely.

 

He pulled the duvet over his head, suddenly overcome by the urge to hide from the world. Why did everything have to be so complicated?

To be continued...
Chafing Ties by aspionage

Harry woke up late.

 

This was unusual for Harry, since he’d had early risings hardwired into him by his aunt and uncle. He was expected to be up and cooking breakfast for the family before they awoke most mornings, of course. The times in his life where he’d had a lie in were few and far between, even once he’d started at Hogwarts where sleeping in was actually an option on weekends.

 

But he’d done it today, even though Snape’s rule was that they had to be down for breakfast by eight. It was now almost half-past nine, and Harry had only been awoken by the sound of Draco shutting the bedroom door behind him to go and eat. Harry had completely overslept, and his insides twisted with nerves as he contemplated what would happen when he got downstairs. Would Snape be furious? Was the day already ruined by rule-breaking before it had even started? He was almost certainly in a bad mood already because of the eavesdropping last night…

 

Harry got ready as quickly as he could, afraid he would be in even more trouble the longer he delayed, and hurried down the stairs. It took him a few moments to get up the confidence to push open the kitchen door. When he entered, Snape and Draco were already partially finished with their food. Both of them looked up at Harry, and he scanned their faces for signs of annoyance but failed to find any.

 

Snape gestured to a plate of scrambled eggs. “I left a Heating Charm on it. I thought you needed some extra sleep after the events of last night.”

 

Harry nodded, and he felt a strange lurch in his stomach. That was so considerate, and he hated it. He didn’t want Snape to be considerate, because any sort of kindness like that was limited and came with strings attached. People always got angry if they were forced to take care of Harry for long enough, and Snape was certainly no exception. Things were all going to go horribly wrong again now that Snape was his guardian, and it would be even worse than Privet Drive had been if Harry dared to hope everything would be fine.

 

Harry wasn’t going to let himself get hurt again.

 

He poked the eggs, his stomach twisted in knots. This was all such a mess…

 

Harry didn’t eat a bite of food, and didn’t manage more than a monosyllabic answer when Draco or Snape asked him a question. He was so distracted by his worries that he barely even heard what they said half the times he was addressed. When they eventually realised he wasn’t feeling particularly responsive and started talking amongst themselves, Harry tuned their conversation out into a mindless drone that washed over his ears.

 

Even though Snape wasn’t explicitly addressing him, though, it was still clear that his attention was upon Harry. He could practically feel Snape’s eyes burning a hole in the top of Harry’s skull as he stirred the eggs into an unappealing mush, but he didn’t call attention to it. He never brought up Harry’s food issues in front of Draco, after all. That sort of consideration that he was normally so grateful for just made Harry feel worse. For one thing, it just reminded him that it was all pointless, since Draco knew, and for another, it was just another horrid kindness that Harry just couldn’t tolerate. He couldn’t look at either of them and just stared at his plate, wishing he could crawl back into his bed and hide from the day.

 

It wasn’t until Draco left the room that Snape finally addressed him directly. He tapped a finger next to Harry’s plate. “You need to start eating.”

 

All of a sudden, an unexpected flash of anger burst up in Harry. Who the hell was Snape to come into Harry’s life and start changing everything? Why did he have to be so controlling about things like this? It was ridiculous! Was this how things were going to be from now on? Snape constantly bossing him about, micromanaging his every action?

 

The idea of him being Harry’s guardian, of him having any sort of power over Harry’s decisions and autonomy, was truly terrifying. The Dursleys had tended to just leave him alone, but with Snape, it felt as though Harry’s every action was under a microscope, and he just couldn’t bear it. Harry wasn’t used to having any sort of attention from the adults in charge of his care, and it really chafed. He didn’t know how to do this, he didn’t understand how any of it worked, he didn’t know what to do…

 

“Harry.” Snape’s tone was laced with warning.

 

“I’m not hungry,” he muttered, pushing his plate away slightly.

 

“At least try -”

 

“No.”

 

Snape exhaled loudly. “At least try to eat some of it? You haven’t touched a thing.”

 

Harry crossed his arms and jutted his chin out, feeling furious and defiant all at once. “You can’t make me.”

 

“I think you’ll find I can, because you’re not leaving this table until you eat something.”

 

Harry scoffed and glared at Snape, whose jaw had gone quite tight. “No. You can’t tell me what to do.”

 

He went to push his chair out and leave, but found that he couldn’t pull his thighs up from the seat of the chair. The legs also didn’t have any sort of give when Harry tried to scrape them against the floor. All of a sudden, something Draco had said to him a few days ago sprung to mind. “He’s a big fan of Sticking Charms…”

 

Harry looked up at Snape, who had arched an eyebrow, and shot him the nastiest look he could muster, hoping it conveyed the full depths of his hatred. “Let me up.”

 

“Eat your breakfast,” he retorted.

 

“No.”

 

“Then we appear to have reached an impasse,” Snape said snarkily. He laced his fingers together and examined Harry closely, eyes cold. “I’ll release the Sticking Charm when you do as I say.”

 

“I don’t want it!” Harry said loudly. “It’s not a big deal if I skip a meal because sometimes I just don’t feel like eating! Calm down!”

 

“You cannot refuse to eat every time you’re upset,” Snape said levelly. “That sets a potentially dangerous precedent, and I am not willing to have you miss any meals, given how malnourished and underweight you are.”

 

“I am not going to drop dead from one missed meal!” Harry shouted, digging his nails into his palms. “I’ve had way worse, you know! I know what actual, proper hunger feels like, and I know when I do and don’t want something, and I don’t want to eat right now! Why is that so hard for you to understand?!”

 

“You are not leaving until you eat,” Snape said in a tone that beggared no argument. “Do you really want to have this fight with me? You’re not going to win, so eat your breakfast and we’ll be done with this.”

 

Harry, who had not stopped glaring at Snape for the duration of this, decided that he did want to have this fight. Yes, this was going to be the hill Harry would die on. He didn’t want Snape to be out controlling every aspect of his life, because he hated the man’s unique ability to send every one of Harry’s carefully suppressed emotions spinning out of control, and he couldn’t stand it any longer! It was the principle of the thing that made Harry want to disobey. This was a battle of wills, like Snape was implying, and Harry would not yield.

 

“I’d really suggest you reconsider your stance,” Snape said irritably, getting to his feet. “I’ll be back soon, and I want that food to be gone when I return.”

 

He swept from the room, and Harry had to resist the childish urge to pick up his plate and hurl it against the wall. It was only the uncomfortable parallels to Dudley that scenario brought up that made Harry restrain himself.

 

Anger was pulsing through Harry in waves, only intensifying as he was left alone in the kitchen. The more rational side of him knew that he should just suck it up and do what Snape said, since he didn’t want to spend all morning stuck to a kitchen chair, but he remained undeterred.

 

In all honesty, Harry didn’t quite know what the point of all of this was, but he knew he had to follow through. He wasn’t sure if he was proving a point to himself, or if he was trying to see what Snape was going to do to Harry for breaking a rule, or if Harry just needed to show Snape how much of a mess everything in his life was so Snape would realise what a horrible mistake he’d made taking guardianship of Harry and would leave. That would be for the best, because Harry couldn’t allow himself to get invested. It was unacceptable. He needed to see the point at which Snape’s tolerance would snap, causing him to turn into another version of Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia, and he needed to find it out soon.

 

Twenty minutes passed before Snape returned. His eyes flicked between the full plate up to Harry’s face, and his expression darkened. “Will you put an end to this ridiculous tantrum and eat already?”

 

“I already told you it’s not happening,” he said angrily, crossing his arms.

 

Snape’s eyes narrowed. “I do not tolerate disobedience, Harry. If you don’t do as I say, there’s going to be trouble. You won’t like what happens…”

 

Those words, as well as the tone they were delivered with, sent a chill down Harry’s spine, but he couldn’t back down now. He glared at Snape and muttered, “Wanker.”

 

A very dangerous look settled on Snape’s features. “You’d better watch your language.”

 

“No!” Harry said loudly. “I don’t want to watch my fucking language, so you can just fu - mmph!”

 

His words were cut off as something very bubbly and slimy seemed to coat the insides of Harry’s mouth. He spluttered, feeling like he’d stuck his tongue into a bottle of washing up liquid. It was remarkably unpleasant, and a horrid, soapy residue seemed to linger no matter how much water Harry swallowed from his glass.

 

“What did you do that for?!” he demanded, wiping his mouth with his sleeve.

 

“You know perfectly well why I did it!” Snape said angrily, tucking his wand away. “How many times have I warned you these past few weeks that if you didn’t mind your language, I would use a Soaping Spell? You knew the consequences and chose to disobey me anyway. I am sick of your behaviour this morning, and I will not stand for it any longer, Harry! Do as I’ve instructed immediately.”

 

Snape was on the verge of really losing his temper, Harry could tell. A muscle in his jaw had started twitching, a surefire sign of an incoming explosion. Still, Harry was feeling dangerous. He glowered at Snape, and carried right on.

 

“No! I’ll gladly sit here all day!” Harry hissed, lacing his tone with as much venom as he could muster. “I could sit here for weeks, so shove off already!”

 

“Very well, then. You’d like to play this game?” Snape got to his feet, his hands gripping the edge of the table as he loomed over Harry. His face was white and livid. “Let me explain to you what I am going to do, then. If you do not begin to eat within the next five minutes, I will be forced to spell food directly into your stomach, a highly unpleasant process which I can assure you nobody will enjoy! I will then speak to Madam Pomfrey about your food issues, and you will be suspended from the Hogwarts Quidditch team until further notice.”

 

If Harry had thought he was angry before, it was nothing compared to the outrage he was feeling right now. “You can’t do that!”

 

“I think you’ll find I can!” Snape said loudly, his nostrils flaring.

 

This was exactly what Harry had been afraid of! Snape using his guardianship power to make Harry’s life a living hell, with absolutely no room for recourse on his part. Taking Quidditch away was just the beginning - what would he do to Harry next? Terror coursed through him, which Harry did his best to shove down. He gave into the anger instead.

 

“You’re a right bastard!” he shouted, the fury exploding inside of him like crackling fireworks. “I hate you, you’re ruining everything!” 

 

The fireworks of anger suddenly exploded out of Harry in a great wave of power. There was an almighty bang, and the high-pitched cacophony of breaking glass. As the sounds faded, Harry realised he'd somehow ended up on his feet, chest heaving with the exertion of his vexation. The Sticking Charm had broken.

 

It wasn't the only thing that was broken.

 

The kitchen door and window had been reduced to a glittering carpet of shards, which cast strangely shaped patterns of light onto the ceiling as the sunlight hit them. Any plates or glassware that were out of the cupboards had also shattered. Harry had seemingly destroyed almost everything that could be broken…

 

Snape was slowly getting to his feet at the far end of the room, where he surely must have been thrown, because he hadn't been standing there before. He winced and pressed a hand to his head, and with a sudden rush of sickening realisation, Harry realised that the bang he’d heard had been the impact of Snape hitting the far wall.

 

At last, Harry had done it. His freakishness had gone and hurt someone.

 

Revulsion crawled over his flesh. He couldn’t believe he’d just done that! What was Snape going to do to him? What the hell had Harry been thinking, pushing him to the extremes of temper like that? He was going to completely lose it!

 

Harry had never felt panic like this. It was as if someone had grabbed his lungs in their fists and was squeezing them, crushing them, and Harry was never going to breathe again. The rapid, shallow gasps he attempted seemed to stick in the back of his throat, choking and painful.

 

Snape turned to face Harry, opened his mouth, and he was going to say something, but Harry couldn't stay in this room and face whatever horrible thing Snape was going to do to him, so he ran. The sharp glass cutting into his feet barely registered as pinpricks in Harry's panic-ridden brain, since he had to leave, he had to flee to safety -

 

But Harry didn't get far before his vision began blackening at the edges. His ears rang, his whole body felt oddly fuzzy and leaden, and he just couldn't keep his balance for a moment longer between it all. Harry felt his legs buckle out from beneath him, and would have fallen fully onto the ground if someone hadn't caught his arms on the way down. Harry couldn’t see who, since it felt like he was tumbling into a great black tunnel.

 

After a moment Harry surfaced, and realised he was lying on his back on the floor now. His head was leaning against a leg while someone held it upright - Draco, he realised. He must have caught Harry during the fall. Draco’s eyes were wide and panicked as he looked down at Harry, who felt too weighed down to prise himself off the floor.

 

“Can you hear me?” he asked, in a tone that suggested that sentence had been repeated. Harry did his best to reply, but he couldn’t, he couldn’t speak, he couldn’t even breathe -

 

“Severus!” Draco shouted, voice panicked. “Something’s really wrong with him!”

 

“No!” Harry gasped at last, trying to shove himself upright. His arms felt like jelly, and barely supported his weight. “No, don’t! Don’t, I hurt him, please don’t -”

 

“You did not,” a low voice said. Harry tilted his head upwards and saw Snape standing high above, holding two vials. The panic worsened with the man’s approach, especially as he crouched down next to Harry. He was within hitting distance. Harry felt like he was going to be sick…

 

“I didn’t mean to,” he whispered, unable to make his voice louder than a hoarse gasp.

 

“I know,” Snape said quietly, calmly. Too calmly. “I’m fine, see?”

 

He reached out a hand, and Harry jolted away so violently that his elbow sharply jabbed into Draco’s ribs. He grunted in pain, but Harry didn’t pay any attention, too busy watching Snape and trying to writhe away, but his limbs felt sluggish and out of control. His heart was beating so quickly it was a wonder it didn’t explode out of Harry’s chest in one great, violent rip.

 

“I didn’t mean to, it was an accident, I’m sorry, I -”

 

Any further words were cut off by the glass rim of a bottle pressing into Harry’s lips. He tried to turn his face away, but Snape reached out his free hand to hold Harry’s head in place, gentle but firm. It still just made him panic all the more, because he couldn’t get away, he was trapped, his arms and legs weren’t working, Snape had to be furious and Harry’s head was so fuzzy from the explosion of magic…

 

“What’s wrong with him, Severus?” Draco’s voice seemed to be coming from somewhere very far away.

 

“He’s hysterical, not now.”

 

The bottle tilted forwards insistently, and the potion within seeped between Harry’s lips. Snape was continuing to hold Harry’s head back, and he had no choice but to start swallowing. All of a sudden, the panic vanished, as if all sensation had dropped off a sharp cliff. Harry stared vacantly at Snape, feeling rather empty of any feeling, and absolutely, utterly exhausted. He felt as if he could sleep for days.

 

Harry’s chin lolled forward slightly, and he felt a pair of hands take his shoulders and move him so he was lying flat on his back, staring at the dancing dust in between the beams of sunlight. Someone - Snape, he supposed - poured more liquid into his mouth, and a heavy black curtain seemed to descend.

 


 

Everything felt fuzzy. That was the first thought Harry had when the darkness he was floating through at last softened, and he became aware of the sound of steady breathing beside him. A blanket was covering Harry, warm and soft.

 

He cracked his eyes open and realised the breathing came from Snape. He was reading a book in his armchair, which had somehow migrated next to the sofa that Harry was apparently lying on. He tried to sit up, unsure of why he was here. Snape noticed he was awake and reached out a hand, stopping Harry from moving up. He was surprisingly strong.

 

"Stay still," Snape ordered.

 

"Oh, he's awake?" Draco said from somewhere behind Harry's head. His body felt too leaden and stiff to attempt a look around at the other boy, wherever he was.

 

"Yes." Snape was staring at Harry with a look of unmitigated concern. "Fetch that Restorative Solution I left out, please. How are you feeling?"

 

Harry frowned, thinking hard. Did he feel anything? Not really.

 

“Floaty,” he decided.

 

"That would be the Calming Draught," Snape said. "You're on quite a high dose at the moment."

 

“Mmm.” Harry wriggled his arms out from under the blanket and held them straight out into the air, keeping his elbows locked. Moving them felt like he was dragging his limbs through thick treacle.

 

“What on earth are you doing?” Snape sounded both exasperated and amused.

 

Harry tried to think up a response, but his brain felt like it was made of cotton wool, and he couldn’t quite catch onto any particular words. He was overcome by a sudden vision of him with fluffy white wool tumbling out of his ears and giggled.

 

“Good grief,” Snape muttered. “I knew I gave you too much. Sit up a bit, you need an antidote. Do try to remain calm as it wears off…”

 

Harry obeyed and tried to sit up, but couldn’t quite support his weight on his hands. He ended up settling for leaning on his elbows while another vial was held to his mouth. Harry obediently drank it down, grimacing at the strange, grassy taste, and some of the layers of fuzziness wrapped around his brain seemed to be stripped away. He felt like he could finally string together a thought -

 

And then it all hit him.

 

Harry clapped a hand to his mouth as it all came flooding back. The argument. The explosion of accidental magic. The broken glass, and Snape pressing a hand to his forehead after Harry attacked him -

 

"Everything is fine," Snape said, keeping a firm hand on Harry’s shoulder.

 

"It's not!" he whispered, horror mounting. "I - I blew up your whole kitchen!"

 

"An exaggeration of the situation," Snape said with a casual shrug that was clearly intentional. "You blew up the glassware, which I fixed with five minutes of Repairing Charms."

 

"And I hurt you!" Harry said, feeling the panic mount.

 

"Not intentionally," Snape said, staring at him intently. "The accidental magic merely pushed me away from you. I fell because I was caught by surprise and lost my footing when I got to the wall. Accidental magic, Harry. At any rate, your magic was just trying to get me away from you, not injure me. This wasn’t intentional harm.”

 

"But I still did hurt you!" Harry said despairingly. "I'm so -"

 

"Do not apologise to me," Snape said in a low, intense voice. "I have told you time and time again now that you are never in trouble for accidental magic. You can't help it!"

 

Harry groaned and pressed his hands over his face, unable to bear the prospect of looking at Snape after everything that had happened. As the antidote to that overpowered Calming Draught coursed through his veins, peeling away the numb layers that had protected him, more and more was coming back to Harry, and he was mortified. Why had he taken things that far with breakfast? And why had he completely lost his head after the accidental magic in front of Snape and Draco? It felt like one of those panic attack things he’d been having on the day he’d run away, but far, far more severe. He’d been a babbling, hysterical mess! It was humiliating…

 

“If anyone should be making amends, it is me,” Snape said. Harry refused to look up, even though the man’s words were a shock to him, because he wanted to crawl into a hole and die from the mortification. “I grossly mishandled that situation."

 

"But -"

 

"Can you let me explain myself, please?" Snape asked wearily. Harry didn’t respond, and Snape seemed to take his silence as permission to continue. "It is no excuse, but I found visiting the Dursleys and speaking with the Headmaster yesterday to be incredibly exhausting, physically, magically and emotionally. That coupled with the lack of sleep meant I regrettably lost my temper and escalated things unnecessarily…"

 

"You didn't really lose your temper, though," Harry pointed out. He’d seen Snape go postal far more spectacularly than he’d done that morning.

 

Snape scoffed. "Please. I shouldn't have threatened to remove you from the Quidditch team over that."

 

"You could have done worse," Harry mumbled, finally removing his hands from over his face. He still couldn’t bring himself to meet Snape’s eyes, though. He was scared of what he might see…

 

"I could have also handled things far more calmly, and I did not," Snape said tightly. "Which is why I am apologising. I am fully willing to admit I make mistakes, Harry. I know I have a short temper, and I lost it."

 

"I lost mine…"

 

"Because you just found out your entire life as you know it is changing," Snape said. Harry fiddled with the edge of the blanket. "That's as good a reason as any to struggle with maintaining your composure, and I wish I’d realised that. If I had handled things in a calm manner, you would not be lying here with magical exhaustion."

 

Harry shot him a questioning look. "Magical exhaustion? What?"

 

"Destroying that much glassware and breaking a wanded Sticking Charm with accidental magic forced you to act as a conduit for a great amount of magical energy at once, more than your body could take," Snape explained. "The exertion caused you to faint."

 

"Oh." Harry stared into his lap. His cheeks were burning fiercely.

 

"It's similar to the state you were in after the Quirrell incident in your first year," Snape added. "Only this time did not put you in a coma for three days. You've been asleep for a little over three hours."

 

Harry nodded, and continued to twist the blanket's corner between his fingers, twirling and knotting it. His fingers and limbs still felt strangely leaden and clumsy, and his head was a swirl of guilt and embarrassment. Even though Snape had tried to assure him that there was nothing to be embarrassed about, Harry still felt ashamed.

 

"Why am I still doing accidental magic at this age?" he asked finally. "Isn't that kid stuff? Is there something wrong with me, or -"

 

"Everyone does it, actually," Draco said, pushing the door open. He was holding a canary yellow potion. "I had some at the fair, remember?"

 

Harry thought back to the odd gust of wind that had pushed him backwards and nodded slowly.

 

"It normally balances out by the time you're fully trained in magic when you reach adulthood," Snape added. "Mainly because your brain has matured and developed enough during adolescence to be better equipped in emotional regulation. Even fully grown adults may experience accidental magic in times of severe emotional distress, though."

 

"Wait, really?"

 

"Yes - I know a man who set his curtains ablaze when he woke up to find a note from his wife, who had just left him for another wizard." Snape swallowed, hard. "I myself had a magical outburst when I heard the news of… of your mother's passing."

 

Harry turned to Snape, shocked. "What happened?"

 

"I withered a rather old tree, and scorched all of the grass within a twenty foot radius," Snape said, looking away so Harry couldn’t see his face. His voice was tight and wooden.

 

"I shook the whole house the day my parents were sentenced to Azkaban,” Draco said, handing the brightly coloured potion to Snape. “Think about it this way, I guess - you can’t control crying when you get really upset, right? Or, ah… sweating if you’re nervous. Magic’s the same way. It’s an automatic physical response to your feelings.”

 

“Oh.” Harry was surprised that Draco, of all people, could come up with such a helpful explanation. He supposed being raised in a magical environment helped it all make more sense.

 

Harry bit down on his lip and looked over at Snape, still feeling quite worried. “But it’s not as common after you go to Hogwarts - I know it isn’t, because you don’t see people blowing up windows left and right. Why does all this accidental magic keep happening to me at the minute? I’ve done like five or six things in the last two weeks or something ridiculous, but when I was younger, months would go by without me doing anything weird! It was almost like it was easier to control then than it was now, like I’m going backwards! What’s happening to me?”

 

Snape regarded him closely. “I do have a theory, but you’re not going to like it.”

 

“Tell me anyway,” Harry said desperately. He needed to know what was causing all this awful magic so he could make it stop. Every time it happened, he felt completely terrified and out of control, two things Harry did his best to never feel.

 

“You found it easier to control outbursts of accidental magic as a child because you had no choice but to suppress your emotions and especially your magic around your relatives, because of their… disinclination towards wizards,” Snape explained. “Now that you have been removed from their home, you have left - survival mode, shall we call it.”

 

Harry nodded slowly.

 

“Your mind is now forcing you to process what happened to you while you lived with the Dursleys, because you’re in a… a less hostile environment,” Snape continued haltingly. His eyebrows were furrowed in concentration. “Part of this is closely linked to your magic. Since you were forced to suppress it as a child out of a fear of punishment, you couldn’t learn how to control your magic as it links to your emotions at the appropriate age. Since punishment isn’t a threat to you anymore, you’re beginning to go through the motions of magical regulation now, at a later age.”

 

Harry sighed loudly. “But why? Can’t I keep suppressing it?”

 

“No. It doesn’t work like that.”

 

Harry thought his brain was being rather stupid, because it would be a lot easier for him to just forget everything that had happened so he could move on with his life. If he could repress everything before, why did he suddenly have to stop? He supposed there was some deep, psychological reason - Snape probably had all the answers in that stupid book of his, Harry would bet - but it still annoyed him that he had to deal with this. He just wanted to get over it!

 

“So how do I make it stop?”

 

Snape grimaced, and Harry’s heart sank as the man began to speak. “You don’t. Managing magic as it links to emotions is a skill all witches and wizards have to learn, including you. Unfortunate as you may find it, it’s going to take time for this to calm. You have to do this the hard way.”

 

“I don’t want to,” Harry said in a small voice, wrapping his arms around himself. “It really stresses me out…”

 

“There’s no reason for it to, since you do not get in trouble for accidents,” Snape said sharply. “I keep my word. You’re not in trouble for today, and you will not be in trouble if something similar happens again in future. I don’t know how many times I have to tell you this for it to sink in, but it’s the honest truth.”

 

Harry swallowed, hard, and attempted a nod. Snape had been right; that explanation did not make him very happy. Still, at least there was an explanation now…

 

“I can’t believe they did this to you!” Draco said angrily. Harry jolted; he’d forgotten the other boy was even in the room. He was standing in one corner, eyes narrowed, face aflame with righteous indignation. “Muggles are so horribly -”

 

“Draco Malfoy, don’t you dare finish that sentence,” Snape said in a low, dangerous voice. The dark look he gave Draco made him shrink back slightly and stare at the floor, although he still looked a bit cross.

 

“I think most Muggles I know would be thrilled by magic, actually,” Harry ventured uncertainly, sensing the direction Draco’s sentence had been going. “My aunt and uncle just… aren’t.”

 

Draco didn’t look all that convinced, but didn’t say anything else. Quite possibly because Snape was giving him the infamous look of doom, which would cow anyone into silence.

 

Snape uncorked the canary yellow potion and held it out to Harry. “Drink this.”

 

Harry eyed it nervously. “Er…what does it do?”

 

Snape gave him an exasperated look but started explaining anyway. “It’s a Restorative Solution. It will help with the magical exhaustion.”

 

“Oh. Okay.”

 

Harry took it from Snape and drank it as quickly as he could to try and avoid tasting it, wrinkling his nose as an odd, filmy layer clung to the back of his teeth. Still, the potion almost instantly eased the heaviness in Harry’s limbs, which had been really bothering him, and remedied a deep ache in his muscles that Harry hadn’t even realised was there. He tried to get up from the sofa again, since he didn’t want to be here with Snape right now after what Harry had done to him, but the man easily pushed him back into place. Despite the aid of the Restorative Solution, Harry still felt quite weak and couldn’t really fight back.

 

“I already told you not to move,” Snape said sternly.

 

“I don’t want to be down here -”

 

“You aren’t well. If you get up now, there is a high chance you will lose consciousness again,” he said. “You also ran across broken glass, so I’m not entirely certain you can walk at the moment.”

 

“Oh. I forgot about that.” Harry glanced down the sofa to his feet, which were poking out from the end of the blanket. One was bandaged, but didn’t feel particularly painful when he wriggled his toes and rolled his ankle in circles. “I feel fine, though.”

 

“And you can trust me when I say that if you put any weight on that foot, you will most certainly stop feeling that way. You need to allow my healing salves time to work properly.” Snape got out his wand and twirled it between his long fingers. “If you’d rather rest in your own bed, I can levitate you upstairs?”

 

“God, no!” Harry said quickly, feeling mildly horrified by the prospect of Snape floating him up the staircase. He noticed Draco trying to hide his snickers and looked daggers at the other boy.

 

“Draco, don’t you have some lines you should be attending to?” Snape said pointedly.

 

Draco sighed loudly and shuffled from the room. Once the door clicked shut behind him, Snape cast a spell at it and turned to Harry with an attentive look on his face. He winced. Harry knew this expression well - it was the face Snape wore when he was gearing up to have a talk.

 

“Why were you so angry this morning?"

 

Cutting right to the chase, Harry thought. He sighed quietly. “I don’t know.”

 

“How did I guess you might say that?” Snape asked, raising his eyebrows. “I have a sneaking suspicion that this was about something deeper than eating breakfast. Would I be correct?”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“And would I be correct in assuming you were intentionally trying to provoke me?”

 

“Erm…a little, I think.” Harry admitted reluctantly.

 

“So, you have an issue of some kind,” Snape said, sitting back. “I’ve been doing some thinking while you were asleep, and the only thing I can imagine that caused this morning’s incident was what you found out last night. Explain yourself.”

 

Harry wrapped his arms around himself and stared at the floor. He supposed that he owed Snape an explanation, considering that he’d slammed the man into a wall and destroyed his kitchen, but Harry barely had the words to explain it all to himself.

 

“I don’t know how to do this,” he said eventually.

 

“Do what?”

 

“This!” Harry gestured between himself and Snape. “I don’t know how to have a proper guardian! Like - I mean, do you think the Dursleys ever asked how I was doing? They barely ever talked to me! And you… it’s just the complete opposite to them, and it’s weird. I’m so used to it just being me, and I don’t know what to expect! How does any of this actually work?”

 

A look of understanding dawned on Snape’s face. “You’re scared.”

 

“I am not scared!” he snapped, eyes narrowing. “I’m not some sort of coward!”

 

“I never said you were.” Snape tilted his head slightly. He looked contemplative. “You know, I’m not entirely certain how to be a guardian to someone myself. I was not expecting to become a guardian to anyone, let alone two people, when I started out this year. I am just as uncertain as you are about what to do.”

 

Some of the tension dissipated from Harry’s shoulders at those words. It was sort of nice to know he wasn’t alone…

 

Because even though he would never admit it, Harry was scared. Just a little.

 

“Would it help if I told you my intentions?”

 

“Maybe.”

 

“Well, I certainly won’t mistreat you like your family did, although I hope that was already a given.” Harry nodded slowly as Snape went on. He looked quite unsure of himself. “I suppose I’ll be someone you can rely on, mainly. You’ll have a place to stay, food to eat, clothes to wear, and if you have issues, you can come to me and I’ll do my best to help. That’s how I mean to go about things.”

 

“Oh. Okay.” That all sounded reasonable to Harry. “And, er - what do I have to do?”

 

Snape’s lips sharply tugged into a frown. “Nothing.”

 

Harry stared at him blankly. That simply did not make sense to him. At Privet Drive, Harry was given… well, not a lot, but the little he was given, he had to earn through chores and the like. What did Snape want for all of this?

 

“Harry, this is not transactional.” Snape’s frown had deepened into a look of concern. “I don’t expect any sort of return for being your guardian, you know. Being cared for isn’t something you have to earn.”

 

Harry thought it wasn’t a particularly good idea to ask ‘why’ again, so kept quiet. Snape seemed to read into what he was saying through his silence, though, and a look of sadness fell over his face. Harry squirmed uncomfortably, not knowing what to do or say, and wondered when he’d finally learnt to read Snape’s expressions.

 

“You’ll come to understand eventually,” Snape said. It seemed like he was telling himself that more than Harry, somehow. “If you must do something for me in return, I suppose you could actually do what I tell you to do when I ask.”

 

“Er - right.” Harry grimaced at the thinly veiled reminder of that morning.

 

“But it’s not as though I’m going to throw you out for disobeying me,” Snape added quickly. “No matter what you do, that will not happen. You are stuck with me, unfortunately for you.”

 

Harry hesitated, then asked, “No offence or anything, but - well, how do I know you mean that? Like how do I know for sure you’re not going to flip right back to the way you were before?”

 

“You don’t know that. You have to just trust me.” Snape pursed his lips. “But I can tell you it is a guarantee that circumstances will not return to the way things once were because my understanding of you as a person has fundamentally changed. The way I previously treated you was because I thought you were arrogant, spoiled, and generally egotistical because of your fame and because of who your father was. I have gotten to know you better, and I’ve realised none of those things are true - quite the opposite, in fact. I won’t go backwards.”

 

“But I can’t know that for sure,” Harry said again.

 

“Then you’ll simply have to wait and see,” Snape said, holding his hands out. “I understand these things can’t happen overnight. But Harry - think about what you have experienced since I found out about your home life. You have made me lose my temper a few times since then - have things gone back to the way they once were? Think about it.”

 

Harry obeyed. He thought first about the time he’d punched Draco. Snape had certainly lost his temper then; he’d been visibly furious, and had shouted a fair bit, but he hadn’t actually reverted back to the regular Snape that Harry knew from Hogwarts. And earlier, he’d been angry… but it was because he wanted Harry to eat breakfast, and he was being completely ridiculous about it, even though he knew it was important to Snape.

 

And even though Harry had shoved him across the room and shattered his windows, he’d given Harry potions to deal with the magical exhaustion after he’d fainted. That was weird - his relatives had never done anything like that. They wouldn’t care if Harry fainted. It had happened a few times at Privet Drive, when they hadn’t fed him enough, and Petunia normally snapped at him for it when he finally came back to consciousness.

 

But Harry was being given potions, and he’d somehow gotten from the floor to the sofa. Snape must have moved him here, and he’d even put a blanket over Harry. The Dursleys never would have cared enough to do something like that, but Snape did without him having to ask. He looked after Harry, even when he was being a complete pain in the backside…

 

“I’ll work on trusting you,” Harry said finally. “I… well, I’d like for that to happen.”

 

“I’m glad.” Snape nodded rather briskly. “But if you’re going to trust me, you also need to trust my intentions. I do not make rules for the fun of it, Harry. Even when you’re upset, you cannot weaponize your health to anger me. That’s dangerous.”

 

“I wasn’t weaponsing it!” Harry said exasperatedly. “I really was upset, you know, and that doesn’t do wonders for my appetite. Er - I guess making you angry was just a fortunate side effect…”

 

“If you’re feeling too upset to eat in future, perhaps it would be better to actually talk about these things,” Snape said, with a slight sarcastic bite to his words. “I feel very strongly about you missing meals. Don’t you dare do anything like that ever again, do you understand me? I will not be nearly this lenient again.”

 

Harry nodded vigorously. Snape’s voice had gone very low, and his tone was stern and forbidding. “I won’t.”

 

“Good.” Snape waved his wand, and a tray and bowl flew in through the living room door and landed on Harry’s lap. He looked down, and found a bowl of soup awaiting him. “Then I suppose this morning’s disagreements will not be repeated with lunch?”

 

“Definitely not.”

 

Harry tucked in with vigour, hoping to prove a point and make up for being so dreadful that morning. As he ate, Harry realised with a jolt that he was really quite hungry. He hadn’t even realised.

 

Harry clenched his hand into fists, fighting back a rising wave of shame. Even though part of him knew that the tangled knots of anxiety and worry that seemed to twist his stomach were all in his head, it never felt that way in the moment. He hated feeling like his brain was lying to him. It had been useful once upon a time - since Harry experienced such extended periods of missed meals at Privet Drive, he supposed his mind got used to tricking his body into thinking he wasn’t as hungry as it was, since there wasn’t much point to his body telling him he was hungry if there wasn’t anything he could do about it.

 

But missing meals at Privet Drive almost always happened when Harry was in trouble, so he thought his mind also must have started sticking together feelings of worry with not eating, even now he was away from there. Harry rolled his eyes - he had a funny feeling that Snape’s stupid book would have the answers to whatever was going on here. That thought irked him slightly.

 

It was only when Harry had finished every last drop of soup that Snape started speaking again. He banished the bowl and tray and looked at Harry closely. “I believe I underestimated the severity of your food issues.”

 

Harry tensed. “I don’t have -”

 

“Can we skip the protests please?” Snape asked exasperatedly, pressing his fingers to his temples. “We both know that you do. Let’s not bother bickering over phrasing.”

 

Harry sighed and didn’t respond while Snape continued to size him up. He looked strangely hesitant about something, and it filled Harry with a feeling of foreboding.

 

“Harry… after I returned from Surrey yesterday, I went into your bedroom to fetch something of Draco’s, and I noticed something in your trunk. There were some ants that seemed to be attracted to it. I looked for the source of their interest, and discovered, ah…”

 

“Oh.” Harry ducked his head, his cheeks aflame as he realised what Snape was referring to. “I - that’s - oh no.”

 

The panic rushed back, almost as sharp and potent as it had been that morning after the accidental magic. He could not believe Snape had found his food stash! The Dursleys had never managed to - Harry's loose floorboard was nearly foolproof - but there weren't any good hiding spots in his room at Spinner's End. He'd been forced to hide the food in the bottom of his trunk…

 

But Harry hadn't been eating out of it as often as he usually did because he'd actually been given full meals three times a day. He'd almost forgotten the food was in the bottom of his trunk entirely, so some of it had definitely gone off. Harry cringed - Snape was probably furious he'd been stealing out of his cupboards, too! He'd thought Snape wouldn't notice, he'd thought he was being sneaky…

 

After a moment to try and calm the fierce mortification and panic he was feeling, Harry chanced a look up at Snape to scan his face for any signs of anger, but was surprised to see he looked… lost. Almost overwhelmed. When his eyes met Harry's, and Snape noticed the fear that was almost certainly written all over his face, that overwhelmed look turned into one of despair. After a moment, Snape actually leaned forwards and buried his face in his hands, long, greasy hair sliding forward to hide his face from view. Harry, who felt rather alarmed, tried and failed to come up with the right words.

 

"Um… sir?" Snape did not move. Harry was so worried he even tried, "Severus?"

 

Still nothing. Was he angry? What was Snape even doing? Harry had never, ever seen him like this. Should Harry get Draco or something?

 

“Er - sorry about the ants.”

 

This apparently was not the right thing to say, as Snape abruptly rose to his feet and strode from the room without a word. Harry remained in place, unsure of what to do. Was he supposed to follow?

 

Before he had to make up his mind, Snape returned, face rather haggard. He was holding a plastic bag, which he placed down on the ground next to Harry.

 

“This is yours,” he said wearily. “Do with this what you like - I’m not going to go looking for it. All I ask is that if you open something, you eat it or reseal it so you don’t attract pests.”

 

Harry leaned over and peered into the bag. He caught sight of a few things lying on top - a few individually wrapped granola bars, and a packet of digestives. It was all food. He felt an odd lump rise into his throat. “Thank you.”

 

Snape didn’t respond. He sat heavily back in his chair and rubbed his forehead. He looked utterly exhausted.

 

“It’s not that I think you’re going to starve me or anything!” Harry said quickly, hoping Snape hadn’t gotten the wrong idea. "I don't think that at all, I promise! I mean - I think the opposite, even. Like you're properly obsessed with me eating. Completely mental about it, actually…"

 

Some of the tension faded from Snape's face, and his lips quirked in a way that could almost be characterised as amusement, so Harry pressed on.

 

“I just - I like knowing I have something there. Just in case. It’s mostly stuff I saved up at Hogwarts for when I was staying with my aunt and uncle, so…”

 

“When I was in Petunia’s mind, I saw something about a cat flap?” Snape’s brows knitted together in confusion. “Where your room was. She put soup through it, if I recall correctly? Legilimency can be rather vague at times, so could you clarify what that was about?”

 

Harry grimaced. “Er - that’s right. Last summer was… yeah. They had me locked in my room without that much to eat until the Weasleys broke me out. And that’s why I have the food, in case it all went wrong again this year.”

 

“What do you mean, they broke you out?” Snape asked.

 

“Er - Uncle Vernon had Hedwig locked up so I couldn’t write to anyone, which they thought was weird, so Fred, George and Ron nicked their dad’s car and flew it to Surrey in the middle of the night to rescue me,” Harry admitted.

 

“Of course they did.” Snape shook his head, but he was actually smiling slightly. “This is the Ford Anglia?”

 

“Yeah.” Harry winced slightly, remembering that Snape had been the one to find him and Ron after they flew it into the Whomping Willow. While they loudly discussed how they were hoping he’d been sacked, naturally.

 

“I suppose I can’t condemn them too harshly for it,” Snape admitted begrudgingly. “Someone ought to have gotten you from Privet Drive in that situation, although perhaps through more, ah - traditional routes.”

 

Harry, who had quite enjoyed the ride in the flying car, chose not to respond.

 

“Just know my kitchen is always open to you,” Snape said, gesturing to the door. “You are completely free to take food from the cupboards whenever you feel like it. As a matter of fact, I encourage it.”

 

“Okay,” Harry said softly.

 

“We’ll make this work,” Snape said. Harry again got the impression he was speaking to himself. “We’ll find a way to manage this.”

 

I hope so, Harry thought.

 

“Um…are we done, then?” he asked hesitantly. Snape still looked so tired, and it was unnerving him.

 

“I suppose, but I want you to stay there and rest,” Snape instructed. “I can give you potions, but the main thing that aids recovery from magical exhaustion is time.”

 

“Okay.” Snape sat back in his armchair and reopened his book. Harry frowned. “You don’t have to hover.”

 

“I am not hovering.” Snape gestured to the book and didn’t look up. “I’m reading.”

 

“Can’t you read somewhere else?” Harry said grumpily, shuffling back into the sofa to try and get comfortable.

 

“Considering the fact that this is my house, I can go and do what I please,” Snape said, shooting him a pointed look. “But yes, I am also keeping an eye on you. I’m sure you’ll suffer through.”

 

Harry sighed loudly. “Can’t I at least have a book or something, then?”

 

“No. You’re meant to be resting. Shut your eyes, or sit there quietly.”

 

Harry crossed his arms and stared at the ceiling. “This is boring.”

 

“If not for the lack of blonde hair, I’d be fairly certain Draco Malfoy was sitting in front of me right now.” Snape said, turning the page of his book while rhymically tapping the cover with one finger.

 

“That’s right, Draco,” Harry said quickly. “Can’t I play chess with him or something? That’s not really strenuous.”

 

“Considering how violently competitive the two of you are with one another, I actually think that it would be incredibly strenuous.” Snape rolled his eyes. “Although I find it interesting that you just suggested spending time with Draco.”

 

Harry made a face. He had, hadn’t he? Had Harry been infected with a brain parasite or something? Since when was spending time with that prat something he actually considered to be fun?! Maybe staring at the ceiling would be a better way to spend his time if this was what he was reduced to…

 

But after about another ten minutes of doing nothing, Harry was willing to have a friendly chat and a cuppa with Voldemort himself to relieve his boredom. He huffed and stared at Snape. “It’s not working. Didn’t you say I’ve been asleep for three hours already? I’ve already been resting.”

 

“Not good enough,” Snape said, still steadfastly refusing to look up from his book. “You know, if you don’t recover from this quickly, I might have to rescind my permission for you to stay in Diagon Alley with the young Mr Weasley and his family on the thirty-first of August.”

 

Harry jolted upright, his mouth agape. “You’re - I’m doing what?”

 

“You’re lying down.” Snape glared at Harry and sharply pushed him back onto the sofa. “And if you do enough of that, then you will be allowed to stay at the Leaky Cauldron with the Weasleys on the last day of the holidays. They will escort you to King’s Cross.”

 

Harry beamed, thrilled beyond words. “I thought you’d never agree to let me do that!”

 

“How was I supposed to agree to something that you didn’t ask about?” Snape looked at him disapprovingly. “I had no knowledge about your desire to participate in this activity until I received a rather strongly-worded letter from Molly Weasley informing me that I should, in fact, allow you to see your friends instead of being strict for the sake of it. A confusing letter to receive, I must say, considering I had never actually banned you from doing this.”

 

“I thought you’d say no,” Harry mumbled, feeling his cheeks burn. He did appreciate Mrs Weasley standing up for him, but he felt a little embarrassed since Snape hadn’t actually done anything wrong. It was his fault, though.

 

“While I can utilise Legilimency, I do not generally make a habit of reading minds,” Snape said, putting his book to one side and crossing his arms. “Therefore, if you want something, you need to actually ask for it. The worst that I can do is say no.”

 

“Um…okay, then.” Harry smiled slyly. “Can I play chess?”

 

“No.” Snape sighed. “But I will play chess with you this evening if you rest now.”

 

“Fine…I’ll try.”

 

Harry shifted slightly and smiled to himself. This morning had been awful, and stressful, and emotionally taxing, but he certainly felt a hell of a lot better than he had earlier right now. Even though it had been really difficult, talking all of that through with Snape had actually helped. Harry had been so worried and mixed up, and some of it felt a little clearer now that they’d talked about the guardianship situation.

 

And the food, and being allowed to stay with the Weasleys? It was kindness without visible strings, like Snape had promised. Nice things that Harry didn’t even expect to have that Snape was giving to him. Maybe… maybe he could try and just accept that Snape was doing something nice for him without worrying. Perhaps he didn’t have to assume maliciousness was lurking around every corner. Sometimes, people were capable of just being decent.

 

And that included Snape.

 

Bored of the ceiling, he decided to at last try and shut his eyes. Harry still thought it was a useless effort. He really just couldn’t fall asleep in the middle of the day, after all…

 

He drifted off five minutes later.

To be continued...
A Hound in Shining Armour by aspionage

To Harry’s immense annoyance, Snape’s obsession with him ‘resting’ carried on for a fair few days. Harry was at least allowed to move about when his injured foot was declared healed in the late afternoon following the accidental magic incident, but Snape strictly insisted that he stayed seated and got on with things quietly unless he was walking to the bathroom. Worst of all, he kept hovering. He remained in the same room as Harry for the vast majority of the time, mainly reading complicated books that Harry could barely understand the titles of. He was unable to truly forget Snape's presence at any given time, and it felt weirdly awkward.

 

Harry had been hoping Snape would disappear into his laboratory so he could go back to doing as he pleased, but Snape seemed to anticipate that Harry was going to break his recovery instructions the instant his back was turned and kept an annoyingly close eye on him. It seemed like all Harry was permitted to do was sit back and finish off the last few bits of his homework, or occasionally participate in a game of chess if Snape was feeling particularly indulgent.

 

Harry was feeling very ashamed of the way he’d acted the day after the Headmaster’s conversation with Snape, so he tried to allow the hovering without too much complaint. There was still a bit of eye rolling and huffing, of course, but compared to the amount of whining he didn’t verbalise, Harry thought he was behaving with remarkable restraint. It was all just really foreign to him. Harry hadn’t had someone worry about his health before, after all.

 

And although he wouldn’t admit it to Snape, Harry wasn’t really feeling like himself. He was quite tired and weary, and his muscles ached like he’d just finished up a brutal Quidditch practice. Harry also felt himself get a little lightheaded whenever he got up to use the loo, and he had to hold onto the sink basin for several moments after climbing the stairs to the bathroom until the stars in his vision faded. Because of this weariness, Snape had also annoyingly insisted Harry go to bed earlier while he ‘recovered’. He really resented that, until he found himself falling asleep as soon as he hit the pillow each night.

 

The magical exhaustion didn’t last very long, though. Harry felt a million times better by day two, and on day three, he almost felt completely normal, if a bit more lethargic than usual. This did not seem to satisfy Snape, though, who kept up with his annoying recovery regime. Harry was getting so antsy and restless from the lack of activity that he couldn’t sleep when he got into bed that night. He spent hours tossing and turning, staring at the ceiling or the dark backs of his eyelids, long after even Snape had gone to bed. Eventually, he huffed to himself and gave up. Harry wasn’t going to be sleeping any time soon.

 

With a sigh, Harry decided to give up altogether and go to the kitchen to make some tea. Maybe that would help. He slid out of bed and padded quietly down to the kitchen. By now, Harry knew the quirks of the Spinner’s End architecture well enough that he didn’t need to worry about squeaky floorboards or other house creaks that would wake Snape up. The only sound that he made came from the slightly groan of the pipes as he filled the kettle.

 

The kettle itself was rather strange. It was styled after an electric kettle, but wasn't actually plugged into the wall, like many of Snape's seemingly Muggle appliances. Instead, the button on the side activated an enchantment that made the water boil. Harry was fairly certain it also sped up the amount of time it took the water to boil, too. He smiled to himself as he got out a mug. Sometimes, Harry just really loved magic.

 

The kettle was just starting to whistle when Harry heard the door swing open behind him and jumped. He turned around and realised it wasn’t Snape, who he’d been expecting, but Draco. He scowled at Harry. “What are you doing down here?”

 

“Couldn’t sleep. You?”

 

“Something like that.” Draco looked between Harry and the kettle, which had just finished boiling. “Make me some, will you? I drink the peppermint tea.”

 

Harry rolled his eyes at Draco’s bossy tone but got out a second mug and the necessary tea bag nonetheless. While the tea steeped, he turned around and realised that Draco had sat down. He was slumped over, leaning his face against the side of the kitchen table, twirling something between his fingers. A necklace, Harry realised. He assumed it was the one he'd been accused of stealing. It was a pretty but delicate thing, with a dark gemstone pendant at the end of a thin, golden chain, which Draco was running between his fingers with a mournful look on his face. Harry placed down their mugs on the table and sat opposite to him, wondering again what was going on inside of Draco’s mind.

 

“Severus has been keeping me away from you,” Draco said abruptly.

 

Harry frowned. “What? Why?”

 

“He didn’t want me asking you nosy questions, apparently.”

 

“Ah.” Harry had thought Draco had been weirdly absent the last few days, but he hadn’t given it all that much thought. Snape had made frequent passive-aggressive comments about minding one's own business and obeying his rules at meals for the last few days, so Harry had assumed that Draco was still in trouble for eavesdropping and was stuck in the potions laboratory scrubbing cauldrons or something. If Snape had really told him not to ask any questions, Draco was probably buzzing with questions about the Dursleys that he finally had an opportunity to ask. Harry winced.

 

“Are you alright?” Draco asked worriedly, finally raising his head from the table. “I’ve never seen you like that. The way you were the other day, I mean. Does that sort of thing happen to you often?”

 

That had not been the prying question Harry had anticipated, but he still grimaced. Harry felt absolutely mortified over the complete freakout that he’d had, especially since it had happened in front of Snape and Draco, and he really didn’t want to talk about it. Draco was probably looking for ammunition, things to use against him…

 

But then Harry looked up and didn’t find a single trace of a sneer on his features. It was just pure concern. Something about that made Harry want to answer honestly.

 

“Not often. I mean - stuff like that’s happened a couple of times but never like that. It was… not nice.”

 

“Didn’t look it.”

 

Harry just nodded and sipped his tea, needing to do something with his hands.

 

“And it was just doing accidental magic that set you off?” Draco’s eyes were wide. “That was all?”

 

Harry scowled. “I don’t want to talk about it. But yes.”

 

“I can’t imagine what it’s like to live like that,” Draco said softly.

 

“It’s shit.”

 

Draco made an affirmative sort of noise and stared into his mug. Harry watched him closely, tense. He really didn’t want this line of questioning to continue.

 

Luckily for him, Draco changed the topic. “That fair the other day was the most fun I’ve had in ages.”

 

Harry managed a thin smile. “Yeah, same. I wish Snape actually let us outside more. I am so sick of sitting around and 'resting'…”

 

“I can try and convince him to let us go to the park tomorrow, if you want?”

 

“You can try, but he’ll never go for it,” Harry said. “Black, remember? Snape’s a complete paranoiac when it comes to him.”

 

“I have my ways,” Draco announced. “I’ll wear him down.”

 

Harry thought for a moment, wondering who was going to win that argument. Sure, Snape could be stubborn when he set his mind on something, but Draco was incredibly annoying when he started going on about something he wanted. He’d spent all of last week going on about some new hair gel that he just had to get, until Snape threatened to spell his mouth shut if he didn’t stop nagging. Harry wondered if he might just say yes to them going out somewhere to shut Draco up…

 

While he mulled it all over, Draco had gone back to leaning his head on the table and staring listlessly at the necklace. It was over five minutes before either one of them spoke again.

 

“I miss my mum,” Draco said softly.

 

Harry tensed at the words. He wasn’t sure what to say in response to a confession like that… was there anything to say?

 

“I’m sorry,” he said helplessly.

 

Draco sighed. “So am I.”

 

He got to his feet and left the darkened kitchen without another word, leaving a confused and saddened Harry in his wake.

 


 

“Keep your elbows off the table when you’re eating,” Snape said, giving Harry a disapproving look. Harry sighed and did so, but not without a small roll of his eyes.

 

“You’ve ignored it easily enough for the last few weeks,” he muttered.

 

“You are my ward now,” Snape said, slicing into a sausage. “You and your appalling table manners now reflect upon me. Sort them so I don’t spend the entirety of the autumn term glowering at you from across the Great Hall.”

 

“Fine…”

 

Snape could be so obsessive about certain things, Harry reflected, as he returned to his breakfast.

 

“At any rate, if I am going to take the two of you out to a restaurant this evening, I’d rather have you actually exhibit decent manners in public.”

 

Harry and Draco both jerked their heads up.

 

“A restaurant?” Draco said eagerly.

 

“Tonight?” Harry added.

 

“Yes,” Snape said. “Nothing too extravagant, but I have a very long day ahead of me, and I don’t particularly wish to cook.”

 

“Are you brewing something new?” Draco asked, his eyes glinting with interest.

 

“Unfortunately not." Snape scowled. “In preparation for the beginning of term, I have to attend a staff meeting.”

 

He spat it like it was a dirty swear word, and Harry couldn’t hold back a snort. Snape could be so dramatic. He shot Harry a withering look in response. “It will waste the majority of my day, and I will be up in Scotland for the duration. I’m sure the two of you can amuse yourselves without my input?”

 

“Could we go to the park?” Draco asked. Snape opened his mouth to speak, but before he could, Draco quickly ploughed on. “Don’t say no. You let us go alone a few days ago for the fair, didn’t you? There’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to again. It’s literally the exact same situation!”

 

Snape’s lips thinned, and he paused for a moment. Eventually, he sighed. “You…you have a point. I suppose if you take the same precautions you did a few days ago, there is no plausible reason for me to deny you from going…”

 

“Wonderful,” Draco said with a smug grin. He’d backed Snape into a corner with logic, and all of them knew it. “I suppose we’ll head out when we’re done here, then!”

 

“Buy yourselves something for lunch, and be back no later than three,” Snape said, the warning for what would happen to them if they didn’t clear in the sharp edge of his tone. “And you’re to take it easy, Harry. Come straight back home if you start feeling at all unwell -”

 

“Oh my God, I’m fine!” 

 

“You keep an eye on him,” Snape ordered, turning to Draco and fixing him with a stern look.

 

“I will,” Draco promised.

 

“I don’t need to be hovered over!” Harry complained loudly.

 

Snape arched an eyebrow. “I suppose you’d prefer to remain in the house all day?”

 

Harry pulled a face and said, “I’ll be careful…”

 

“Good. Here’s some money, then. Enjoy yourselves.”

 


 

“You’re a genius,” Harry said to Draco as they walked along Spinner’s End. “I never thought you were going to convince him!”

 

“I knew he couldn’t reasonably refuse,” Draco said smugly, hitching the football he was carrying further up his arm. “Not without admitting the only reason he originally allowed us to go was because he wanted us out of the house while he used Legilimency on those Muggles you live with, which I doubt he wanted to confess to.”

 

“Er - right.” Harry shifted uncomfortably at the reminder of the Dursleys. He was almost certain that Draco was just aching to nag him about it further, a theory that was unfortunately confirmed when the other boy turned to him with an inquisitive look on his face.

 

“Look,” he said, slowing down his pace to match Harry’s, “like I said, Severus wants me to avoid the topic, but -”

 

“I thought we had an agreement,” Harry said stiffly, intentionally not meeting Draco’s eyes. “We don’t treat each other like Snape treats us. No probing questions. Leave well enough alone.”

 

“Maybe we should get over that,” Draco said thoughtfully, bouncing the football against the pavement. “We are going to be living together next summer, right?”

 

Harry did his best not to pull a face. “It’s the end of August. It’s not like we have to talk to each other between now and next June.”

 

“Oh, come on, Potter!” Draco snapped. “If you must know, I’m only asking because it’s really confusing me!”

 

“What’s confusing about it?” Harry said tightly. “You heard the long and short of it. I grew up with my Muggle relatives, and they hate me. You don’t need all the gory details.”

 

“No, not that!” Draco said impatiently. “I just - I don’t get it! I feel like everything I thought I knew is just a lie. You’re Harry Potter!” 

 

“Really?” Harry said, his tone dripping with sarcasm. “I wasn’t aware that was my name…”

 

“But everyone’s always talking about how you’re a hero!” Draco’s eyes were wide. “They bloody well worship you, people would have been lining up to take you in and give you a good home! When I was growing up, everyone thought you’d been whisked away by Dumbledore himself for special training because of how powerful you were! Then I find out you grew up with those awful Muggles?”

 

“Well, reality is always worse than what you’d think.” Harry scowled. He didn’t particularly appreciate the insulting tone Draco had used for the word ‘Muggle’.

 

“It’s bloody unfair, is what it is,” Draco said, kicking a pebble. It skittered up the road and out of sight. “You could have had a way better life, but you got stuck with them? Ridiculous…”

 

“I don’t need you to tell me that,” Harry muttered. This conversation had him on the defensive, and he felt oddly resentful and raw. “I’m pretty damn clear on how life isn’t fair.”

 

“My point is,” Draco stressed, “that you’re different than I thought you were. I was convinced you always thought you were better than me because you’re so famous but…well, I’ve learnt a lot about you these last few weeks. You’re a lot more normal than I thought you were.”

 

“I don’t think I’m better than you because I’m famous,” Harry said, shooting Draco a dirty look. “I hate being famous.”

 

Draco scoffed. “Please! Everyone wants to be famous!”

 

“Oh really?” Harry said icily. “How would you feel if you were famous for something you don’t even remember doing? Famous for the day your parents got murdered and you got stuck living with your horrid aunt and uncle?”

 

Draco at least had the decency to look a little ashamed. They walked in silence for a few minutes, and Harry contemplated his words. All this time, Draco had been jealous of him? That was what had caused his general nastiness these last two years? Well, that and the rejected offer of friendship on the train, Harry supposed. It just seemed a lot simpler than he’d always thought. He couldn’t see why there was anything for Draco to be jealous of.

 

“You know… I don’t think I understood about your parents until this year, really,” Draco said softly. “How horrible it must have been to lose them.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“How do you bear it?” Draco asked abruptly. His shoulders were hunched. “Your parents not being around, I mean.”

 

Harry didn’t know what he’d been expecting Draco to ask, but it certainly hadn’t been that. Part of him almost instinctively reached for a sharp retort, automatically assuming Draco was insulting him, but Harry stopped himself at the last minute. His face was tight and pained, and obviously earnest. Harry floundered for a few moments, since he didn’t exactly have an answer to that to hand.

 

“I… I don’t know,” he said finally. “I don’t know any different, honestly. I’ve never had them around.”

 

Draco sighed. “They don’t even let me write to them, you know. My parents.”

 

“Really?” Harry said, shocked. “That seems a little -”

 

“Unfair?” Draco finished. “Yeah, it is. It’s a nightmare trying to get under-seventeens permission to visit Azkaban, so it’s not like I can even see them in person. The Ministry used to allow mail, but then Black broke out, so they’ve changed the security measures in case someone snuck something in through the post to him. So I’m stuck with no visits, no mail and no contact.” His breath hitched. “It’s the same as if they were dead.”

 

Well, a small part of Harry’s brain unhelpfully wanted to point out, it wasn’t really the same, but his more empathetic side won out as he looked at Draco. His face was forlorn and hurt, and he was blinking rather rapidly. Harry glanced away so Draco would have the chance to wipe away any potential stray tears without being watched.

 

Shockingly enough, Harry felt a twinge of sympathy for the other boy. Over the last week in particular, Harry suddenly found himself able to separate Malfoy, the bullying Slytherin who made his life miserable, from Draco, the other parentless boy who played Monopoly and football with him. He didn’t know what was going to happen when the two of them were back at Hogwarts just a few days from now, but the Draco he’d come to know at Spinner’s End was surprisingly nice to be around at times.

 

After a moment, Harry tentatively reached out a hand and placed it on Draco’s arm. To his surprise, the other boy didn’t recoil or pull his arm away.

 

“I’m sorry,” Harry said quietly. “That’s really rotten.”

 

Draco nodded rather jerkily. “Well…if anyone understands what it’s like, I suppose it would be you.”

 

“Are you ever going to see them again?” Harry asked. Even though he knew that the elder Malfoys were in prison, he still didn’t know how long for, or what they’d even done to get locked up.

 

“I don’t know,” Draco said, bouncing the football rather aggressively. He muttered an oath and just about managed to snatch it back out of the air before it landed in the road. “My father’s got twenty years, as of right now, but they’re probably going to re-try him for a bunch of other things he got off on before.” Draco glowered at the pavement. “Mother got five years. I know for a fact she wasn’t involved, but no, they were just looking for any excuse to cart all of my family off to Azkaban…”

 

“But won’t she be out by the time you’re eighteen?”

 

Draco scowled. “Since you’re practically half-Muggle, I suppose you must have forgotten how magically draining Azkaban is! Even if she does make it out, there’s no telling if she’ll be the same person on the other side. Mother’s always been rather ill, and she might - she might not…”

 

Draco’s voice had started cracking towards the end, so Harry thought it was better to not push the topic, even though Draco still hadn’t told him what the Malfoys were in for. “Right. Sorry.”

 

They’d at last reached the park, which looked a little bit depressing without the bright lights and attractions of the travelling funfair. The grass was slightly brown from the August sun, and broken bottles glittered here and there. There was also a small playground with a peeling red swing set and a faded plastic slide backed by a brackish stream and a large willow tree that two girls were trying to climb. Harry and Draco wandered through the field adjoining it until they reached a very ragged-looking goalpost, so they could play an actual game of football for once. The net in the back of the goal had been completely torn out, excluding a few ragged strands of string attached to the plastic rim that were blowing in the gentle breeze. Harry sat down next to it and leaned his head against the plastic pole, which was hot with the heat of the August sun. Draco settled down opposite, the football in his lap.

 

“It’s like Snape says, I suppose,” Draco said. “We’ve got some stuff in common. Like our tendency to smash anything breakable in his house…”

 

Harry groaned. “The stupid accidental magic is doing my head in!”

 

Draco tutted. “At least you only smash stuff on accident, so you don’t get in trouble for breaking plates.”

 

“You never broke a plate, though.” Harry frowned, his eyebrows knitting together.

 

“Not while you were here,” Draco said, casting his eyes downward. “When they first sent me to live with him, though? Well, if you think I’m bad now, it was carnage back then. You should have seen us in July.”

 

“Really?”

 

"As you know, I'm not exactly happy to be here," Draco said, scratching his neck. "Between my parents getting sent away and going from my previous life to… well, this -” he gestured around the park with a disgusted look on his face, “it was a right shock to the system, and I wasn’t all that happy with Severus. I was making his life a nightmare, honestly. We practically spent the entirety of July screaming at each other all day…"

 

"You did?" Harry said, surprised. He'd seen Snape lose his temper, sure, but even then he still seemed to have exacting control of himself the majority of the time… he couldn’t imagine constant, screaming rows between him and Draco.

 

“How do you think he manages to stay so calm with you when you start yelling at him?” Draco asked, arching an eyebrow. “Severus isn’t a naturally patient person, you know, but my temper was something of a trial by fire. He had to figure out how to not let me get under his skin before we throttled each other. He worked out eventually that shouting back made it all worse, so he’s annoyingly calm with me nowadays when I’m angry. Especially after he started using Occlumency when he noticed me getting annoyed, I really couldn’t get a rise out of him anymore. I think he started taking pleasure in seeing how frustrated we both get when he doesn't react, actually…”

 

“I still don’t really get what Occlumency is,” Harry said.

 

“Well, you wouldn’t,” Draco said loftily. “It’s mainly to protect your mind from Legilimency attacks, but it does also help with managing your emotions, you know. Severus has actually been teaching it to me.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yep,” he said. “You should ask him sometime, I bet he’d teach you, too. Maybe that would help with your little accidental magic problem.”

 

“Hmm.”

 

Harry, as tempting as that sounded to him, was never going to do that. Mostly because the idea of asking Snape for help still felt a little wrong, and he didn’t want to be an even bigger drain on the man’s time than he already was.

 

Draco got to his feet. “Enough of this depressing rubbish. Snape’s let us out of the house for the first time in a billion years, we should make the most of it instead of sitting here and chatting!”

 

Harry smirked. “You’re on. Let’s play some actual football for once, eh?”

 


 

Even though Harry felt almost entirely better, he annoyingly discovered that strenuous exercise like playing football really took it out of him. Draco was beating him with ease, which he was thoroughly smug about, naturally. After a few hours of this, Harry finally admitted defeat, and the two of them wandered around Cokeworth until they came across a corner shop to buy themselves lunch.

 

“What’s this?” Draco asked, picking up a bottle of coke.

 

Harry noticed the cashier behind the counter staring at Draco with a puzzled look on his face and winced. He pointedly elbowed Draco and hissed, “Muggle thing. Not so loud.”

 

“Right.”

 

Draco went to put it back, but Harry stopped him. “Give it a go! You might like it.”

 

He shrugged. “Alright.”

 

Harry picked up some of his own, as well as some chilled sandwiches and crisps. This whole situation was rather odd, Harry thought to himself as he handed over the money. He very rarely got to buy things from corner shops, since he never had any Muggle money of his own. Aunt Petunia always used to let Dudley buy sweets after school, but he was forced to stand to one side and watch longingly while his cousin bought out half the shop.

 

The two of them settled on a creaky wooden bench with one missing slab near the store to eat their lunch. As Harry tucked into his sandwich, he noticed Draco holding the bottle of coke up to the light, a puzzled look on his face. He looked exactly like Snape did when he examined the colour of one of his potions, and Harry snorted.

 

Draco scowled and elbowed him. “Don’t!”

 

“Just drink it!” Harry laughed. He opened his own bottle and took a pointed sip, eyebrows raised.

 

“Okay…” Draco cracked open the bottle and cautiously sipped it. A moment later, his eyes widened to the size of dinner plates. “It’s - it’s fizzy!” 

 

“Yeah?” Harry laughed again. “It’s a fizzy drink, that’s the whole point!”

 

“But they’re Muggles!” Draco said, staring at the bottle with fascination. “How can they make that work?”

 

“It’s carbonated.”

 

“Excuse me? What is that?”

 

As it so often happened when he tried to explain Muggle things, Harry found himself stumped. “Um… they put carbon under pressure, I think. Then it makes those bubbles, and you drink them.”

 

“Odd.” Draco took another swig of the bottle. “I still prefer Butterbeer, though.”

 

“What’s that?”

 

It was now Draco’s turn to look shocked. “You don’t know?! You’re missing out!”

 

After a lengthy conversation where Draco explained in detail how amazing Butterbeer supposedly was, which Harry was almost certain was entirely exaggerations, they began to walk back to the park. They didn’t make it that far from the bench they’d eaten on, however, before someone loudly cleared their throat from behind.

 

“Oi, specky!” A voice called. Harry glanced over his shoulder and saw a group of three boys walking up the path behind them, hands in their pockets. They all looked around fifteen or sixteen, and were leering at Harry. He turned his head back around and started walking more quickly, hoping Draco knew to match his pace. Something about the expectant smirks on the boys’ faces made the hairs on the back of Harry’s neck stand up.

 

“Stop!” One boy shouted. “Don’t walk away when we’re talking to you!”

 

Harry was preparing to further quicken his pace, but unfortunately Draco stopped and turned around, his nose wrinkled as if he’d just smelled something rotten. “Yes?”

 

“Heard you talking,” a boy with a shaved head said casually, stepping forward. He was alarmingly tall. “You two aren’t from round here. I don’t remember you from school…”

 

Draco arched an eyebrow. “No, we aren’t from around here. We’re simply visiting during our summer holidays from boarding school.”

 

He drew out the words ‘boarding school’ as if they were a badge of honour. Harry tried to hide his wince as the three boys exchanged crafty looks. This wasn’t good…

 

“If you go to boarding school, you must be pretty well off,” a muscular boy who looked a lot like Goyle commented casually.

 

“Of course,” Draco said loftily.

 

“Well, we should really get going,” Harry said loudly, grabbing Draco’s wrist and intentionally squeezing hard. “Nice chat -”

 

“Hang on a minute,” Shaved Head said, stepping forwards. He had his hands in his pockets. “Now, since you’re not from round here, you don’t know the rules. You don’t leave until we say you do.”

 

Draco sneered. “I’m not going to be ordered around by some Muggle.” 

 

Shaved Head’s face instantly twisted into a snarl. “What did you just call me?”

 

“A Muggle,” Draco said, stepping forward and glowering up at the older boy. “What, are you stupid or something? Well, you would be…”

 

Quick as a flash, the boy shoved into Draco and pinned him against a nearby wall with an audible thump. “I think you want to be more careful about how you talk to us, posh boy.”

 

Draco plunged a hand into his pocket and jabbed his wand directly into the boy’s chest, face fierce. “Get off me, you filthy -”

 

“Draco!” Harry hissed. “You can’t! You’ll be arrested!”

 

The four boys laughed.

 

“Arrested for what? Pointing some stupid stick?” A crooked-nosed boy sneered. “How pathetic!”

 

Still, Draco had understood, and that was what mattered. He slowly slid the wand back into his pocket, but the boy pinning him to the wall didn’t let him go.

 

“Look, we don’t want any trouble,” Harry said nervously.

 

Goyle’s clone snickered. “Here’s what you don’t know, new kids. Around here, we decide who makes the trouble. Now turn out your pockets and hand over all your money. I know you’ve got some.”

 

Harry was very familiar with this kind of situation. This was exactly the kind of thing Dudley spent his summers doing with his own gang back in Surrey. Well, at least he knew how to deal with this. Harry bit back a sigh and kept his eyes lowered and deferential as he reached into his pocket to dig out the measly three pounds they had left over from Snape’s allotment.

 

Unfortunately, Draco apparently did not know how to behave around a group of bullies who were both older and stronger than he was. Harry’s hand had just closed around the coins jingling in his pocket when Draco jerked his knee directly into Shaved Head’s groin. The boy howled and doubled over, releasing Draco from the wall he’d been pressed into. He shot off, grabbing Harry’s forearm as he ran to tug him along. Harry began to run as quickly as his legs could carry him, hearing the sounds of the boys’ footsteps slapping against the concrete. They were in hot pursuit.

 

Unfortunately, it was far easier to run away from his obese cousin than it was to escape a group of older boys with significantly longer legs, so Harry and Draco had barely managed to make it back to the edge of the park before the gang caught up. Crooked Nose grabbed a fistful of Harry’s shirt and yanked him backwards. He landed a punch on Harry’s face, snapping the bridge of his glasses against his nose. Pain spread throughout his face, only worsening as he was struck a second time.

 

Harry saw a blond blur running over in his peripheral vision. “Get off him!”

 

To his immense shock, Draco was currently trying to yank Crooked Nose off him. It was a fruitless effort, especially once the two other boys grabbed Draco and started beating him, too. He gasped in pain as Shaved Head drove his fist into Draco’s stomach, over and over again.

 

Harry kicked Crooked Nose as hard as he could in the shin and tried his best to shove Shaved Head off Draco, but Goyle’s twin got to him first and threw him to the pavement. Harry barely had time to catch himself before his head smacked into the concrete, and felt the sharp sting of the surface ripping open his palms. Without his glasses, he couldn’t see the attacker who began repeatedly kicking him in the ribs. Harry couldn’t help his gasp the third time the boot smacked into his side, causing an explosion of agony that seemed to splinter through his entire chest. He heard a noisy crunch - someone had smashed his glasses under a foot. Harry squeezed his eyes shut and braced himself for the next hit -

 

But no blow came. Instead, he heard one of the boys - Crooked Nose, if he was correct - shriek in terror. Moments later, there was a series of low growls and noisy barks. Harry squinted, and saw a large, black dog with its teeth latched into the boy’s leg.

 

“Ahh! Get it off me!” Crooked Nose shrieked, trying in vain to shove the dog away with one hand. He yelped again as the dog unlatched its jaw from his leg and tried to bite his hand.

 

“What the bloody hell is going on with it?!” Goyle’s clone shouted. “Jim, help him!”

 

“No way! Run, quick!” Shaved Head - presumably Jim - shouted. “Leave the kids to distract it!”

 

Harry watched as three blurry figures ran as quickly as they could, chased by the hazy black smudge that had to be a dog, still yapping at their heels. The creature kept up the hunt until the boys rounded a corner and vanished from view.

 

Harry didn’t move. Many years of being viciously beaten by gangs of boys, particularly his cousin, had taught him that the minute you moved, all of the adrenaline flooded out of your body and you became very painfully aware of every single abrasion lacing you. It would all come to him eventually, but right now he wanted to savour the last few relatively pain-free moments he had.

 

“Sorry,” Draco said hoarsely from nearby. “I didn’t realise that was going to happen.”

 

“Idiot,” Harry mumbled through bloodied lips. He hoped his nose wasn’t broken…although as Harry reflected further on where precisely his face was throbbing, he realised that the majority of the blood was coming from a pulsing cut across the bridge of his nose where his glasses had broken. It was intermingling with the blood from a split lip.

 

My glasses… Harry pushed himself up at last, every part of his body screaming in protest, and started blindly feeling around for them. Draco suddenly gripped his wrist and deposited a pile of twisted wire into his open palm.

 

“It’s no use,” he said. “They’re shattered.”

 

Harry groaned. “Great…”

 

“Can you give me a hand?” Draco asked stiffly. “I think I twisted my ankle when they shoved me back and I can’t really put weight on it.”

 

“Okay, but you have to direct,” Harry said as Draco put an arm around his shoulder, gasping in pain again as Draco accidentally touched his injured ribs. The other boy gave him a concerned look.

 

“Fine,” he managed to grit out.

 

They began hobbling along, and Harry attempted a weak chuckle, instantly regretting it when it made the sharp pain in his side worse. “Look at the state of us. This really is like the blind leading the blind…”

 

Draco tutted. “You’ve got that right. Hey, how bad is your vision anyway? How many fingers am I holding up?”

 

“Four. I’m not completely blind, you dolt,” Harry grumbled as four hazy digits waved in front of his face.

 

It was slow work, between the two of them. It was hard supporting Draco, who could barely put any weight on his ankle, while Harry himself was in rather a lot of pain from the kicks to his ribs. It seemed like an age before they made any significant progress.

 

“We shouldn’t have ever come here today,” Draco muttered.

 

Harry frowned. “What do you mean?”

 

“Dangerous Muggles, lurking around corners and attacking you for no good reason…”

 

Harry sighed very loudly, causing another sharp jolt of pain. “Draco, it has nothing to do with the fact that they’re Muggles! They’re just a gang of horrid pricks that like to go around terrorising people, okay? Wizards can be just as bad! And are you really telling me that mugging doesn’t exist in the wizarding world?”

 

“Well - yeah, but I’ve never been mugged there!” Draco said indignantly. “Then the moment I go to the Muggle world, I am? I don’t think it’s a complete coincidence…”

 

“It’s just because Cokeworth is a complete shithole,” Harry grumbled. “But it’s not a shithole because of the Muggles, Draco.”

 

“If it wasn’t because they’re Muggles, why did they get so angry and vicious when I called them Muggles?” Draco challenged.

 

“Because as far as they could tell, it was an insult. You have a very insulting tone, you know. And you also called the Muggle stupid, remember?” Harry was trying very hard to keep his temper in check, but was finding it difficult. As far as he could tell, they would have gotten away three pounds poorer and without the beating if Draco would have kept his mouth shut. He just had to boast and fight back, didn’t he…

 

Draco sniffed. “Witches and wizards aren’t that violent. It’s the Muggle blood that makes them aggressive -”

 

“Are you actually being serious?” Harry asked incredulously. “Our kind are probably even worse than Muggles! Are you forgetting the entire massive war we had twelve years ago? Or what about the time Ron tried to make you puke slugs? Or, actually, any of the other billions of duels that happen at Hogwarts all the time? The snake you shot at me last year? Oh, or -”

 

“Okay, okay, I get it!” Draco snapped. “Don’t get your knickers in a twist, Potter…”

 

Harry glared at him and resisted the urge to smack Draco round the back of the head.

 

Draco huffed. “I just don’t get why you have to wax lyrical about Muggles constantly, especially since we just got attacked by a group of them -”

 

“And I don’t get why you have to act like they’re worthless cockroaches, but I’ll agree to disagree for now.” Harry’s lip was rather swollen from the punch to his face, and it was making speech rather difficult. He was worried he was accidentally going to bite it while he talked, and that would certainly hurt like hell. He wasn’t going to deal with extra pain just to bicker with Malfoy…

 

After a few moments, Draco grunted. “Can you shift my weight?”

 

“Right.” Harry readjusted Draco’s arm over his shoulder. “Um… look, even though you’re a complete idiot, I just wanted to say - er, thanks.”

 

“For getting you beaten up? Oh, you’re very welcome!” he said sarcastically.

 

“No, that’s what I mean,” Harry said, wiping a trickle of blood from his face from the back of his hand. “I meant thanks for not leaving me to get beaten up. You could have kept running, but you tried to drag those Muggles off me when they caught me.”

 

“What was I supposed to do?” Draco scoffed. “If I’d abandoned you with a gang of violent Muggles, it wouldn’t have mattered that I’d gotten away since Severus would have killed me for ditching you!”

 

“You still helped me,” Harry insisted. Despite Draco’s insistence to the contrary, that meant something in his mind. The Draco he’d known before probably would have joined in to help those Muggles finish the job, but he’d actually tried to help Harry! It was unexpected, but it made a strange, warm sensation spread in his chest.

 

Draco scoffed. “Gryffindors. Always so stupidly honourable…”

 

“Picking a fight with a group of older boys is pretty Gryffindorish, you know,” Harry pointed out. “That’s foolish, headstrong behaviour right there.”

 

Draco made a fake gagging noise. “Merciful Merlin, you must be rubbing off on me. How perfectly awful. I’m turning into a bloody Gryffindor…”

 

“Watch it, you slimy Slytherin.”

 

After a few moments of silence, Draco sighed very loudly. “Well…if we’re on the topic of thanks, I suppose I ought to…properly acknowledge what you did for me,” he muttered. Every word was slightly strained. “I do appreciate your ill-fated attempt to drag that Muggle off me.”

 

That, Harry thought, was the most roundabout way of saying ‘thanks’ he could have possibly mustered, but considering this was Draco Malfoy, he could still appreciate the progress.

 

“You’re welcome, Draco.” He looked at the other boy. Even without his glasses, Harry could see he looked utterly awful. “Maybe next time, try not to pick a fight with everyone and everything? Make a few sacrifices for the sake of a quiet life.”

 

“You don’t need to lecture me,” Draco said, sounding rather disgruntled. “Believe me, I’ve learnt my lesson. Besides, Severus is going to give me a hard enough time when he finds out.”

 

Harry stopped walking, frozen. “Wait, what?”

 

“Speaking of, there he is,” Draco said, nodding up the road. Harry could see a black figure making its way in their direction. “He must have gotten back from his meeting early.”

 

“What on earth happened to you?!”

 

Harry didn’t think he’d actually seen Snape run before, but he did so now in his haste to get to Harry and Draco. He wrenched Harry and Draco apart, and Harry winced sharply as the contact jolted his sore side.

 

“Have you two been fighting again?” Snape demanded, expression furious. “I thought you’d at last put aside this ridiculous -”

 

“No, we weren’t fighting, for God’s sake!” Harry hissed. He barely bit back an insult, Draco’s warnings of Snape’s anger still at the forefront of his mind. Still, it really annoyed Harry when Snape always assumed the worst of him.

 

“What happened, then?” Snape asked. He gripped Harry’s shoulder, fingers almost bruising. “I think I’d recall sending you out of the house bruised and bloodied!”

 

“We got beaten up by some boys,” Harry quickly explained before Draco could talk. He couldn’t help but think that Draco’s idiocy had been punished enough by that beating - he didn’t need Snape’s lecture on top of it as well. Judging by his grateful squeeze of Harry’s arm, the gesture wasn’t missed.

 

Snape muttered an oath under his breath and took ahold of Draco’s arm. “Can you walk unassisted, Harry?”

 

He nodded.

 

“Inside now, then,” he snapped, helping the limping Draco through the last little bit of the distance to his house. Harry followed closely, wiping some of the blood off his face with the edge of his shirt.

 

Snape led them both into the kitchen and pointed at the table. Harry and Draco sat down as Snape silently left the kitchen and stormed up the stairs, his footsteps crashing against the steps.

 

“How much trouble are we in, then?” he whispered nervously as the sound of someone loudly rummaging through a cupboard echoed through the small house. It sounded like Snape was cursing under his breath, and Harry winced. He was really going to lose it on them…

 

Draco frowned as he propped his injured ankle up on a spare chair. “Why would we be in trouble? We’re the ones who just got beaten up!”

 

“Then why is he angry?” Harry asked blankly.

 

“I am not angry at you, Harry!” Snape shouted exasperatedly from upstairs. Harry winced; he’d forgotten how good the man’s hearing was. “Did you ever consider I might be angry at the aforementioned gang that decided to use you and Draco as human punching bags?”

 

“Oh.”

 

Harry hadn’t, actually. The Dursleys were the masters of burying their heads in the sand when Harry was beaten up by Dudley, so he wasn’t all that used to people caring about his injuries.

 

“I know you are constantly engaging in some sort of mischief,” Snape continued as he walked back down the stairs, “which normally results in my immense irritation. I would like to clarify, however, that I am not angry with you every time I am angry.”

 

“Er - right.”

 

Snape placed something cold into Harry’s hand. It turned out to be some sort of ice pack. “Hold that on your face for a minute.” He turned to Draco. “Your ankle is injured?”

 

“Yes, but I don’t think it’s broken.” Harry saw Draco wince as Snape started running a wand along the side of his foot. A piece of parchment appeared in the air, which Snape snatched up and read closely.

 

“Just a nasty sprain,” Snape reported. “Keep it elevated for the moment. Where else are you hurt?”

 

“My face, obviously, and my stomach,” Draco said, gesturing vaguely to his torso. Snape started running his wand along Draco’s stomach, and a quill began scribbling across the parchment. Snape watched it, and nodded. “All bruising, nothing broken. I’ll apply a salve in a moment.”

 

Snape shifted around to face Harry. “Now, onto you. What hurts? An honest account, please, I know what you’re like.”

 

Harry bit back the instinctual response of ‘I’m fine’ and removed the ice pack from his face. “Well, there’s this. Oh, and they kicked me in the side.”

 

He barely had a moment to prepare himself before the end of Snape’s wand was in his face. “Desepticus.” 

 

Harry yelped as the open cuts on his face stung and burned. “Can’t you warn me before you do that?!”

 

“I will next time.” Snape’s hand suddenly started moving towards Harry’s face and he flinched. Snape froze.

 

“I am just going to apply a healing salve to some of the open cuts so they stop bleeding,” he explained in a very calm, level voice. Irritation surged up in Harry at the tone. He didn’t need to be managed.

 

“It’s just because I can’t see,” he muttered, feeling a bit embarrassed. He’d gotten a little better about the flinching, but being without his glasses left Harry feeling horribly vulnerable, since he couldn’t see everything going on around him.

 

“I’ll fix your glasses in a moment, I just thought I should make it so you can actually wear them first,” Snape said, putting a steadying hand under Harry’s chin as he dabbed something that smelt of liquorice onto the cuts on Harry’s nose and lip. The hand was probably to stop him from jerking away like an idiot again, he thought glumly.

 

“Oculus reparo,” Snape said, handing the glasses to Harry. He shoved them onto his face, wincing as they touched the tender skin on the bridge of his nose, which was still slick with the healing salve. Harry sighed with relief as the world immediately came into sharper focus. He looked across the table and gasped slightly as he got a clear look at Draco’s bruised and bloodied face for the first time. One of his eyes was almost completely swollen shut, and blood was steadily trickling out of one nostril.

 

“Is it really that bad?” Draco asked fearfully, noticing his reaction and instantly hiding his face with his hands.

 

"I don't know how you're going to get by anymore without those good looks," Harry said with mocking solemnity, putting a hand over his heart.

 

“You’ll be fine,” Snape said briskly, pulling Draco’s hands away and repeating the same healing process he’d performed on Harry, before also applying some sort of unidentifiable potion to Draco’s stomach and ankle. Harry didn’t pay much attention, since his ribs were really starting to hurt by now. Every time he inhaled, it was like a sharp knife stabbing him in the side. He tried to take shallow breaths, but it didn’t help much.

 

Harry, of course, was just going to deal with it - not like he hadn’t had bruised ribs before, growing up with Dudley - but Snape, of course, noticed. He finished up with Draco’s ankle, ordered him to keep it elevated, and turned to Harry. “What side were you injured on?”

 

“The left.”

 

Snape pulled up Harry’s shirt and inhaled sharply. Harry looked down and realised his ribs had already bruised to a brilliant, mottled purple. He ran his wand along Harry’s side, and he struggled not to wince as it touched the tender skin. The text on Snape’s parchment glowed blue, and he shook his head. “A fracture, as I suspected. Skele-Gro will take care of that.”

 

Harry pulled a face. “I’d rather deal with the fracture.”

 

“Don’t be ridiculous.” Snape rolled his eyes, flicked his wand, and a bottle flew into his hand. He then summoned a glass, and began to pour the smoking yellow liquid into it. The whole situation was somehow worse than it had been last year, since Harry now knew what was coming.

 

“I thought Skele-Gro was only for regrowing bones,” he said a little desperately. “Can’t you just heal it with your wand?”

 

“Skele-Gro can be used for a variety of bone-related afflictions,” Snape said. “I’m not a qualified Healer, so I don’t like to use Episkey for ribs. They can be rather tricky. You don't want a badly-grown bone fragment piercing the lung, after all.” He slid the glass across the table to Harry. “Drink up.”

 

Despite Harry’s best efforts, he was unable to stop the coughing and spluttering as he choked down the vile potion. It really burned, and the horrid aftertaste didn’t fade even after Harry tried to wash it down with a glass of water. Snape somehow managed to procure a stick of gum from somewhere, which helped a little. That was surprisingly considerate, especially given that this was Snape. Madam Pomfrey had not been particularly sympathetic last year, he recalled.

 

“You should be back to normal in a few hours,” Snape said, brushing off his hands.

 

“Really?” Harry said, surprised. “When I was regrowing the bones in my arm last year it took all night!”

 

“Mending a fracture is a lot simpler than regrowing an entire arm’s worth of bones.” Snape scowled rather fiercely. “I still don’t know what that utter buffoon Lockhart was thinking…”

 

“No one does,” Harry muttered. He half-expected a rebuke for insulting a professor, even if it was a former one, but Snape actually nodded his agreement.

 

“Now, onto your assailants,” Snape said, staring down Harry and Draco. “Describe them, if you please.”

 

Harry and Draco both quickly did so, and Harry passed on the name of the boy, Jim, who Crooked Nose had begged for help after being attacked by the dog.

 

Snape’s expression darkened. “Ah, the local hooligans. I’m familiar with those particular boys, I’ve had dealings with them in the past…” He pushed his chair back. “The two of you are to rest upstairs while I deal with them.”

 

“Deal with them?” Harry asked a little nervously.

 

“Why can’t we come?” Draco complained. He had a slightly vindictive look on his face. Harry was familiar with it after two years of hallway fights.

 

“Because you shouldn’t be walking,” Snape said pointedly, shooting a look at Draco’s injured ankle. “At any rate, it would not be, ah… appropriate, to have the two of you attend.”

 

“What are you going to do?” Harry asked, suddenly overcome by visions of Snape deftly hexing the boys, or chopping them up into potions ingredients.

 

“They’re terrified of me,” Snape said simply, rising to his feet. “I will simply… inform them of how unwise a repetition of such behaviour, particularly with my wards, would be.”

 

There was a fleeting moment where Harry scoffed to himself - as if a stern talking to would work on nasty thugs like those boys.

 

Then, he caught sight of Snape’s face.

 

Ever since the man had found out about the Dursleys, the usual horrid Potions Master Harry was used to seemed to have faded away. The current Snape was calmer, less insulting, and generally less intimidating than the man Harry was familiar with from Hogwarts. So, the usual look of doom Snape wore at school coming back all at once was rather disconcerting. Yes, Harry could definitely see how that furious glower would be intimidating to most teenagers, even the ones that had beat him and Draco up…

 

It was still a little surprising to know that someone, especially Snape, was willing to defend him, though. A warm glow seemed to spread in Harry’s chest, but he immediately shoved it away. It was a very weird thing to be happy about, he reminded himself.

 

Even if he didn’t want to admit it, though, it was still nice.

 

“Enough of this chatting,” Snape said briskly. “We’ll adapt our evening plans to account for this incident and get a takeaway instead. You two ought to rest.”

 

He pointed his wand at Draco, who shouted out as he was levitated into the air.

 

“No walking on that ankle!” Snape’s lips twitched slightly as Draco shrieked his protest. Harry laughed as Draco floated through the hallway; it might have been a tad spiteful, but Draco had also laughed when Snape had threatened to levitate Harry a few days ago, so he thought it was karma.

 

“You’re also injured, Mr Potter,” Snape remarked, smirking at Harry. “Care to join him up there?”

 

“No, no, I’m alright!” Harry said quickly. For a moment, he was worried Snape was going to do it anyway, but quickly realised the man was simply teasing.

 

Snape. Teasing. It was a strange thing to realise, but not as unsettling as it might have been before. Harry was finally starting to get used to all of this, he thought. He hurried along up the stairs, trying to stifle his snickers at Draco’s continual shrieks of indignation, since laughter was unsettling his prickling ribs.

 

Harry slipped into his room and sat on his bed while Snape at last put Draco down on the opposite twin. He glowered up at Snape, who was still smirking slightly. “Both of you stay here and rest. Believe me, I’ll know if you don’t. I should be back in under an hour.”

 

He shut the door moments later, and Harry heard the loud crack of Apparition echo out from the hallway. Harry settled back against his pillow and stared at the ceiling mournfully. Snape was going to doom him to rest forever at this rate…

 

“You know,” Draco remarked, “we got really lucky with that dog, didn’t we?”

 

“I know,” Harry said, remembering the loud growls and barks of the creature as it chased the terrified boys away.

 

“I wonder why it came after them?” Draco said thoughtfully.

 

Harry shrugged. “Dunno. Maybe it smelled the blood or something?”

 

“Possibly. It did look like a stray.”

 

“Whatever the reason was, it saved us. It didn’t seem like they were gonna clear off anytime soon…”

 

They fell into silence. Harry wondered for a moment why that dog had looked so oddly familiar. He supposed that without his glasses, any dog would probably remind him of Aunt Marge’s collection of awful hounds. They also liked to bite, after all…

 

“We’re not really going to lie here and do nothing, right?” Draco asked.

 

“Nope,” Harry said, sitting up with a wince. “I want a distraction from the Skele-Gro.”

 

“I don’t envy you,” Draco remarked, leaning on one elbow and watching Harry. “Maybe that’s what Severus should do to those stupid Muggles - force-feed them Skele-Gro.”

 

“That would be amazing,” Harry said, running his tongue against the back of his teeth. Even with the gum, he swore he could still taste the awful stuff. “Wouldn’t it hurt them, though, if they aren’t injured?”

 

“Who cares?” Draco said. “And no, it wouldn’t. Skele-Gro only grows something if you have a bone problem. It would just taste terrible.”

 

“I wonder what Snape is gonna do to them?”

 

“Oh, I hope he curses them.” Draco sighed, a daydreaming expression on his face. “He knows a lot of Dark Magic, I think. Maybe he can permanently turn their ankles backwards or something… oh, or he could make their flesh start to melt before their eyes -”

 

“Chess?” Harry asked abruptly, feeling the sudden need to stem the tide of Draco’s slightly violent thoughts.

 

“Sure.”

 

As Harry shuffled over to get their chess sets out, he abruptly recalled an incident back in his first year - fighting the troll with Ron and Hermione. The experience of toppling a ten foot mountain troll had an odd bonding effect, and they’d all been friends ever since.

 

Something about the experience of a common enemy brought people together, even if the common enemy was created by Draco Malfoy being an unaware idiot with no street smarts. Harry still couldn’t believe that Draco had actually tried to defend him today. Draco might claim that he hadn’t had a choice, but Harry knew the boy from before would have fled, no matter what Snape would have had to say about it.

 

He had defended Harry like a friend. Something about that made him unable to stop smiling.

To be continued...
Winds of Change by aspionage

“I should have known the two of you would disobey my instructions.”

 

Harry winced and turned around guiltily to meet Snape’s disapproving gaze. As usual, he’d managed to enter the room without making a sound, defeating Draco and Harry’s plans to jump up from the floor and away from the chess game they were engaged in when Snape returned home.

 

Snape strolled over and examined the chessboard. He tutted. “My word, Draco. He’s thrashing you.”

 

Draco scowled while Harry smiled to himself. It was still a little strange to him whenever Snape actually paid him a compliment, but it became a little less foreign with every passing day.

 

Snape waved his wand over the two of them, and a piece of parchment appeared from thin air. He read it with pursed lips before nodding. “You appear to both be healing well. How are you feeling?”

 

“Fine,” Draco said, rolling his ankle for effect.

 

“And you, Harry?”

 

“Fine.” The sharp pain of the fractured rib and the Skele-Gro had simply dulled to a slight tenderness.

 

“Good.” Snape joined his hands together. “Those boys have been… taken care of.”

 

  Ominous. 

 

“What did you do?” Draco asked eagerly. “Did you curse them? Oh, did you poison them?”

 

Snape frowned. “You do realise everything you’ve listed is illegal, particularly when it comes to a group of Muggles.”

 

“But did you do it?”

 

“Plausible deniability, Draco,” Snape drawled. “Do not incriminate yourself.”

 

Draco’s eyes gleamed. Harry stared between the two of them nervously. He didn’t think Snape had just murdered a group of Muggle teenagers, but that phrasing shook Harry’s confidence a little…

 

“Now, shall we order dinner? I have a series of menus the two of you can choose from if you follow me.”

 

Snape swept from the room. Feeling a surge of excitement, Harry leapt out of bed, ignoring the slight lingering prickle of pain in his side, and would have sprinted downstairs if not for the slow, exacting pace Snape was taking ahead of him on the staircase. He shot Harry a disapproving look, clearly having sensed Harry’s urge to run into the kitchen. Harry thought he had the right to be excited, though. He had never been allowed in on the food when the Dursleys ordered in. He didn’t even get leftovers, like he sometimes would with regular meals, because Dudley would go to great lengths to finish up everything just to spite Harry.

 

Eventually, they reached the kitchen, where Snape started digging through a drawer and retrieved a series of menus. He laid them out on the table. “Does Indian sound appealing to the two of you?"

 

“It sounds lovely, Severus,” Draco said with a nod. He didn’t look too put-out by their change of evening plans. Harry assumed it was because he was happy he didn’t have to enter a Muggle-infested restaurant anymore.

 

“Harry?” Snape arched an eyebrow. “Is that alright with you?”

 

“Yeah, sure,” Harry said with a shrug.

 

“Decide what you two would like, then,” Snape said, setting the menu onto the kitchen table. Draco immediately began to rattle off names. Harry stared at the different dishes, but didn’t have a clue where to start.

 

After a few moments, Harry awkwardly looked up at Snape and cleared his throat. “Er - do you have any suggestions?”

 

Mercifully, Snape didn’t comment, other than to point a finger towards one of the meals. “Chicken tikka masala tends to be well-liked.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Do Muggles have poppadoms, Severus?” Draco asked.

 

“If a food isn’t somehow enchanted, it’s safe to assume Muggles have it,” Snape said. He flicked his wrist, and their order began to write itself on a notepad.

 

“The only stuff I’ve come across that Muggles wouldn’t know are things like chocolate frogs, honestly,” Harry chimed in, “and even Muggles have food shaped like animals. The only difference is that theirs don’t move.”

 

“But what’s the point, then?” Draco asked, looking rather disappointed.

 

“Does there have to be a point?” Harry asked. “Like you can get chocolate bunnies in the Muggle world at Easter. What’s not to love? Who cares if it can’t move?”

 

“Set the table, you two,” Snape said loudly, cutting off Draco’s brewing retort. “I’ll head around the corner to pick up the food.”

 

Harry and Draco spent the duration of the time Snape was away debating the inherent point of chocolate frogs and bunnies with far more vim and vigour than the topic probably required. Still, it was very light-hearted bickering. Harry was starting to realise that he just enjoyed arguing with Draco about things, even if it drove Snape spare.

 

For his sake, though, both of them did cut it off when the front door swung open as Snape returned with their food.

 

To Harry’s immense delight, the chicken tikka masala was incredibly enjoyable. He paired it with the poppadoms Draco thought Muggles didn’t have, as well as naan and pilau rice, all of which Harry thought he couldn’t get enough of. Harry made a concentrated effort to stuff himself, since the food was just so good. Snape, in his usual state of obsessiveness over Harry’s eating habits, watched all of this approvingly. He even offered up some of his chicken vindaloo to Harry when he saw him looking at it with interest. Harry was initially reluctant, since he didn’t want to basically steal off Snape’s plate, but the man was very insistent. In the end, one comment blew past all of Harry’s reservations.

 

“It may simply be too spicy for you,” Snape said. “You probably can’t manage.”

 

Harry scoffed indignantly and scooped a bit onto his spoon, pride wounded. “I can handle it!”

 

Harry, as it turned out, could not handle it. Eyes watering, he immediately downed an entire glass of water, feeling as though he’d just eaten actual lava. Snape observed all of this with obvious amusement, then proceeded to eat a mouthful without so much as flinching.

 

“How do you eat that and just not react at all?” Harry demanded. “I feel like my mouth’s on fire!”

 

“You adjust over time. At any rate, I enjoy the burn.”

 

Harry, with a newly-developed respect for Snape’s heat tolerance, returned to his milder curry. Draco observed him haughtily over his lamb bhuna, which, he said loftily, Harry would not be allowed to try any of because he obviously had the spice palette of a toddler. Harry glowered at him, retorted that Draco had the sharing capabilities of a toddler, and proceeded to hog the rest of the garlic naan.

 


 

The following morning, the usual Prophet owl that arrived at breakfast to bring Snape the paper was accompanied by a second, very familiar owl.

 

“Hedwig!” Harry said happily as she landed to one side of him. He unattached the letter on her ankle, instantly recognising Ron’s spidery handwriting on the envelope, and ran a finger over her feathers. “I missed you.”

 

Snape frowned at him. “I notice she’s been rather absent this last month? Why exactly is that?”

 

“Er - well, since Ron’s been in Egypt and Hermione’s been in France, it takes her longer to get places,” Harry lied. He thought it wasn’t smart to mention that he’d just sent Hedwig away to stay with Ron, since he hadn’t trusted her safety around Snape and Draco in that first, horrid week. Snape didn’t comment, but judging by the downward twist of his lips, he knew something wasn’t quite right. Harry placed the letter from Ron in his pocket, ready to read a little later.

 

“Now, you two need to finish packing your trunks today,” Snape said. “It’s only two days until term starts, and your robes are everywhere, Draco! We’ll all be leaving for Diagon Alley rather early tomorrow morning, and I don’t want to come back here to pick up misplaced belongings.”

 

With a jolt, Harry realised that Snape was right. There were only two more days of the holidays. What had seemed like a great stretch of time at Spinner’s End back at the start of August had actually started slipping away quicker than he could have realised…

 

And as much as Harry loved Hogwarts, a slight air of anxiousness settled over him as Snape continued to chide Draco for his scattered things. Harry tried his very hardest not to think too much about the new, positive dynamic between him, Snape and Draco, but there was no way to avoid it now - Harry really liked the change. Spinner’s End Snape was far preferable to Hogwarts Snape, and the same applied to Draco. They’d reached a tentative equilibrium in just the last few days, really, and things felt really comfortable. Harry didn’t want things to start shifting.

 

But there was no way around it; Hogwarts would change things. Would Snape and Draco revert back to their usual selves? Would Harry? Did everything they’d built these last few weeks just dissolve when they all returned to school?

 

And the letter burning in his pocket was a stark reminder of that. Because of the self-imposed lack of communication with his friends, Harry hadn’t dedicated much time towards thinking about what Ron and Hermione would have to say about his new relationships with Snape and Draco, mainly because Harry himself was still trying to get his head around it all.

 

And Snape was his unofficial guardian from now on. Harry was actually going to be living with him for the foreseeable future. What would they think of that?

 

It weighed on Harry, he had to admit. He found himself becoming rather quiet and withdrawn as he packed his belongings, which had scattered far and wide across Snape’s house, much like Draco’s. As his trunk filled, he couldn’t help but feel like packing was writing the end to a chapter he wasn’t entirely certain he wanted to end, and wasn’t that a complete shock?

 

Packing was a rather time-consuming activity, especially with Snape strictly supervising and Draco constantly being around some corner or other, asking Harry a question or accusing him of stealing some article of clothing or book. None of this was particularly conducive to allowing Harry private time to read his mail, so he didn’t manage to get a moment alone to open Ron’s letter until just after lunch.

 

  Harry,

 

You must actually have the worst luck in the world! Living with Snape and Malfoy? That sounds completely miserable. Good luck with that, I’m so glad I’m not you right now.

 

   And yes, I’ve heard all about Malfoy and his parents. I was saving this news for when we meet up again, but my dad was actually on the team that raided their house so I’ve got loads of details! It’s absolutely mad! I’ll give you the summary now, though.

 

   You know how the Malfoys are all Dark, and Dad’s been trying for years to get Lucius Malfoy on something, but he just couldn’t prove anything. Anyway, he was really on the warpath this time because of everything that happened with Ginny and that diary. After we found out about that trapdoor to the basement and told him, he managed to get another search of Malfoy Manor authorised, and they actually found something this time! It was some sort of separate hidden room in the basement, Dad was the one to discover it and everything. The whole place was absolutely stuffed with Dark artefacts, stuff that could net you decades in Azkaban.

 

  Problem was, one of the Malfoys - my bet’s on Mr Malfoy - used this Dark spell to try and destroy the evidence. I think it was called Find Fynd Fiendfyre? It’s hard to spell, I’d never heard of it before this. Dad didn’t want to go too much into it, but it’s super bad. It burned their house to the ground and destroyed most of the evidence, but there was still some dodgy stuff that survived the fire that the Ministry got them on, and they both got time for casting the actual spell, since no one would fess up to it.

 

  I think it’s karma for all the Malfoys! After what Mr Malfoy did to Ginny, he deserves to be locked up for way longer than twenty years. He might be, too - Dad’s heard rumours in the Ministry that they might be trying Lucius Malfoy for all the stuff he did as a Death Eater that he claimed he was forced to do originally. It shouldn’t be too long before it gets announced in the papers. 

 

  Our Malfoy will finally have to get off his high horse now, won’t he? The Ministry’s seized all the Malfoy assets and money that survived the fire, so he’s even poorer than I am! The next time he tries to make fun of my family or my robes, I’ll be ready to get right back at him. You can use it against him too whenever you get this letter, especially if he’s being as much of a massive git as you’re saying. I might send this with Errol instead of Hedwig, since you want her to stay here, but I don’t think he could survive the flight. Anyway, let's make sure Malfoy pays for everything he’s done.

 

  Best of luck with those two! I hope you can keep your temper. It would make your life a hell of a lot harder if you blew Snape up like that aunt of yours, even if it would be pretty funny to see him floating around like a balloon.

 

  Best,

 

  Ron

 

Harry put the letter down next to him and sighed. Normally, mail from his friends never failed to cheer him up, but this one had just had the complete opposite effect.

 

So, Dark magic and artefacts. That was why the Malfoys had gone to prison….

 

Harry really didn’t like Lucius Malfoy in particular, and thought he did deserve to be in Azkaban. He was even happy that Mr Weasley had been the one to catch them. Harry just couldn’t take the sort of vindictive pleasure in Draco’s misery that Ron was expecting him to take, though. Just weeks earlier, if he’d received this letter, Harry would have been absolutely gloating, he knew.

 

But, despite all of his determination for things to remain the same, they just hadn’t. He’d personally witnessed how broken up Draco was over his parents’ imprisonment, and being happy about some sort of Malfoy family downfall was just impossible when you’d witnessed their son crying because his life as he knew it was forever changed. Even if Draco’s parents deserved punishment, he was a victim in all of this. It really tamped down the urge to dance around and celebrate.

 

That part about the Fiendfyre made Harry feel particularly uncomfortable. Draco’s house had burned down? That was awful! Harry generally didn’t pay much attention to Draco’s belongings, but after a morning full of packing, Harry had to admit it was quite weird that almost everything Draco owned could fit in his Hogwarts trunk…

 

In the same way that Harry, who’d barely had any belongings to call his own before he’d started at Hogwarts, could fit everything into his trunk. It was a startling parallel.

 

No wonder Snape had been so angry when he’d thought Harry had stolen the necklace that had belonged to Draco’s mother. That really was all Draco had of her, since everything else he’d ever owned had burned to a crisp…

 

And Harry really did understand why Ron was pleased. He knew perfectly well that Draco would have mocked Ron mercilessly if he was in Draco’s shoes without a moment of remorse, which Ron would never do without Draco starting it. He wasn’t trying to be cruel, Harry knew.

 

But Harry, troublingly enough, really wished that all of this hadn’t happened to Draco.

 

He angrily shoved the letter to one side and stormed from the room. He felt oddly torn between his best friend and his - well, whatever Draco was to him. And, once again, he’d just been violently reminded of how much things were going to change when he got back to school in ways he didn’t quite want to witness.

 

Harry spent the rest of the day in a terrible mood. He floated silently from room to room, retrieving his belongings and not speaking to anyone. He gave Snape entirely one word answers while they cooked together, and spent most of dinner gloomily pushing his food around his plate and not looking at anyone. He felt decidedly downcast.

 

“Right, that’s enough,” Snape said once Draco, who had finished eating far more quickly than Harry had, went back upstairs to continue packing. “Why are you in such a mood?”

 

“I’m not.”

 

“Well, if this is you in a good mood, I’d hate to see you annoyed,” Snape remarked.

 

“Am I not allowed to just be grumpy?” Harry asked exasperatedly.

 

“You aren’t generally prone to fits of purposeless adolescent moping,” Snape said, raising an eyebrow. “There’s always a reason with you. Tell me.”

 

Harry sighed and ate a tasteless bite of chicken to try and buy himself some time. “Just thinking about things.”

 

“What things?”

 

“Just… how it’s gonna be at school,” he said finally. That wasn’t entirely a lie, after all…

 

“Ah,” Snape said, lacing his fingers together. “I did wonder if you were going to bring that up.”

 

Harry sighed and stared hard at his plate.

 

“Let’s discuss it, then,” Snape said briskly. “The relationship we had at Hogwarts was… strained, to say the least.”

 

Understatement of the century, Harry thought, feeling rather disgruntled.

 

“I would like to assure you that my previous attempts to humiliate you will cease,” Snape said. “As we have discussed, my perceptions of you have changed, so there was never a risk of this happening again.”

 

“Okay,” Harry said slowly. Part of him still didn’t entirely believe Snape, but he wasn’t sure what either of them could do about that before school started up.

 

“Apart from that, I do not think it would be wise to behave as though we are anything more than a regular student and teacher,” Snape added. “We have spoken about how this arrangement would be a far more convenient one if it was largely withheld from the general public, so we ought not to give people the idea that we are particularly close. The Hogwarts staff will know, as I presume Weasley and Granger also shall, but outside of those parties we ought to limit the information.”

 

“Right,” Harry said with a nod. “Just… well, won’t people be suspicious of something if you suddenly stop picking on me?”

 

“You vastly overestimate how much your peers pay attention,” Snape drawled.

 

Harry cleared his throat rather awkwardly. “Er - okay, then.”

 

“If you must come up with some excuse to a particularly nosy classmate, feign ignorance or say you think that the Headmaster had a word with me, I suppose,” Snape said after a moment. “I doubt it will be a problem. My plan is to largely let you get on with things, so if you refrain from blowing things up or drastically ruining brews, we shouldn’t run into any issues.”

 

Harry nodded again, but didn’t speak. He had a slightly sarcastic comment about his Potions performance that he didn’t think it would be wise to voice, since he sensed Potions lessons were still tender and uncharted territory for the two of them.

 

Harry still wasn’t entirely sure what approach he was going to take when it came to Potions this year, actually. He automatically found it difficult, which meant he didn’t bother that much with homework he was bound to fail at anyway, especially since Snape refused to give him good marks when he hated Harry so much.

 

But if things really were different now, maybe Harry should put in a bit more effort to at least get passable marks, even if he found Potions hard. After all, he didn’t particularly want to fail a subject his… well, guardian was teaching. Besides, Snape had a habit of noticing traits of Harry’s and determinedly wearing him down until they were fixed or addressed, and his poor performance in Potions could very well end up being one of them if Harry wasn’t careful. He really didn’t want to end up in some sort of Remedial Potions class.

 

Harry would probably give it more of a go than he usually did, at any rate.

 

“When we’re in public, I will switch back to Potter,” Snape added. “In private, such as in my study or quarters, first names are appropriate, but we should otherwise maintain a level of formality.”

 

“Right.” Harry thought about Snape’s wording for a moment and frowned. “Wait, your study? Your quarters? Since when am I allowed there?”

 

Snape’s eyebrows rose. “I do not plan to ignore you for an entire year. I do wish to check in on you from time to time, especially since we’re living in the same place.”

 

“Oh.” Harry hadn’t really thought about things from that angle, truth be told. He supposed that was another symptom of having the Dursleys for guardians. Harry largely pretended that they didn’t exist during the school year, and they certainly didn’t bother to write him letters…

 

But Snape was actually invested in Harry’s wellbeing, as odd as it was. He didn’t ignore Harry like his previous guardians had, so they actually could talk to each other. Harry supposed it would be a bit odd if the two of them wrote letters to each other like everyone else did when they were in such close proximity.

 

“You remember where my office is from the incident involving the flying car, I presume?” Snape asked.

 

Harry nodded, trying to hide his wince at the reminder of the Ford Anglia. “More or less.”

 

“My quarters are located through there. You may seek me out whenever you wish.”

 

“Really?” Harry asked. “What if you’re busy?”

 

“They I won’t answer the door, and you can come back at a different time,” Snape said simply.

 

Right. Harry supposed that made sense. He was still having a bit of a hard time imagining himself really going to Snape with issues, though. While Harry was a bit more willing to talk to Snape when prompted than he had been a few weeks ago, Harry didn’t tend to seek him out to talk. He was just used to dealing with things on his own. Besides, he’d be a bother.

 

“Does this alleviate some of your concerns, then?” Snape asked.

 

“Yeah, it does,” Harry said. “Thanks.”

 

“Eat up, then,” Snape ordered. Harry nodded and returned his attention to his meal, which was actually a great deal easier when he wasn’t so preoccupied with his worries.

 

“Another thing,” Snape added suddenly. “You’re able to buy all of your school supplies without my aid, I presume?”

 

Harry gave him a bemused look. “Yeah, obviously?”

 

“I simply wished to check, since you’ll be largely unsupervised tomorrow,” Snape said.

 

“I’ve got it,” Harry said again.

 

“I’m glad to hear it,” he said. “Be sure to behave yourself. Do not leave Diagon Alley, don’t even look at Knockturn Alley, or you will face highly unpleasant consequences.”

 

“I wouldn’t anyway!” Harry said quickly. His ill-fated trip through the Floo network had thoroughly disabused him of any desire to explore there.

 

“And you’re to be polite with the Weasleys,” Snape added. “Ensure you mind them.”

 

“I will.” Harry smiled to himself a little. It was odd to see Snape going all… well, parental was the only word he could think of to describe it.

 

Snape frowned thoughtfully. “This has reminded me - what electives did you decide to take?”

 

“Care of Magical Creatures and Divination.”

 

Snape wrinkled his nose. “Divination? Really?”

 

“What’s wrong with that?” Harry demanded.

 

“I do not believe it is a subject that can be taught.” Snape flicked his wand, and Harry’s empty plate began to scrub itself in the sink.

 

“Well, I’m being taught it.” Harry cocked his head. “What’s Draco taking, then?”

 

“Arithmancy and Care of Magical Creatures. I believe the two of you will be sharing a class for the latter.”

 

“Huh.” Harry wasn’t entirely sure how he felt about that. His knowledge of how Draco behaved in lessons consisted of Draco in Potions, which had always been a particular brand of horrible…

 

How would Draco be in lessons now, away from Snape’s sharp reprimands and surrounded by a gaggle of vindictive Slytherins who were more than happy to support his every ill-mannered remark? If they even did that, of course… Harry hadn’t entirely forgotten the angry missive from Pansy Parkinson, as well as the apparent falling-out with Crabbe and Goyle that had been revealed in it.

 

“If you’re at all concerned, I’d like to believe Draco will continue to behave himself at Hogwarts,” Snape chimed in, tracing the route of Harry’s thoughts.

 

Harry raised an eyebrow. “Really?”

 

“He knows he’ll have me to answer to if he doesn’t,” Snape said smoothly. “Feel free to tell me if he does anything untoward. I will happily, ah… mediate.”

 

As Harry wasn’t a snitch he certainly would not be taking Snape up on that, but he hoped Draco did stay in line. As much fun as lighthearted bickering could be, the more unpleasant, proper fights just weren’t enjoyable when Harry knew they had the capacity to be civil with one another.

 

“Why don’t you go upstairs and see if he’d like to do something with you? It’s your last evening together, after all.”

 

Snape phrased it as a suggestion, but Harry knew it was more of an order. He nodded and headed out of the kitchen, pleased to be feeling a great deal less ill-tempered than he had upon entry. While he was still a bit worried about how everything was going to turn out, Harry at least felt a little more reassured that things weren’t going to go too horribly wrong.

 

He walked into the bedroom rather cheerfully, and saw Draco was sitting on his bed. Harry smiled at him. “Fancy a game of chess?”

 

Draco didn’t respond immediately. Harry took a closer look at him and realised he was holding a letter. Ron’s letter.

 

“What are you doing, reading my mail?” Harry demanded irritably.

 

“Oh, that’s the problem here?” Draco said in a shaky voice. He crumpled up the letter in his fist and threw it to the ground. His face was stark and white, and Harry felt something in his stomach lurch unpleasantly as the contents of Ron’s letter came flooding back to him.

 

“You know, I really thought you were different now, Potter,” Draco hissed. “Clearly I was wrong. You just wanted to gossip about me with your stupid friends! This whole time, I thought -” Draco cut himself off and glared at Harry. “I should have known better than to trust a stupid Gryffindor like you!”

 

“Draco, I -”

 

“Shut up!” Draco hissed. His eyes were narrowed and stormy. “I don’t want to hear any of your fake excuses when you’ve just been having a right laugh about my problems with the Weasel. I bet you thought it was dead funny that I lost my parents, and my home -”

 

“I don’t!” Harry said desperately. “Draco, I asked him ages ago, I promise -”

 

“And what in Merlin’s name is this stuff about the trapdoor?” he demanded. “How did either of you hear about that?!”

 

All of Harry’s platitudes died on his tongue. He could not, under any circumstances, tell Draco about the Polyjuice! What was he supposed to say?

 

He winced and stared at Draco for a long time before attempting a response, mouth dry. “Look, it’s just a letter, don’t -”

 

“I don’t want to hear it!” Draco’s voice was cold with fury. “Have it your way, Potter. We don’t have a truce, we’re not friends, and I will never, ever trust you again. Don’t speak to me, don’t even look at me. You’re a right bellend, and I want nothing to do with you.”

 

He roughly shouldered past Harry and stormed out of the bedroom. Harry heard the bathroom door slam shut. He stared into the gloomy hallway, feeling a little bit like he’d just had the wind knocked out of him. Harry was all too familiar with the act of hiding how upset you were behind an exterior of anger, and that was what Draco had clearly been doing. He was hurt. There was no mistaking it, even if he was trying to seem highly aggrieved. Draco was genuinely upset by what he’d read in that letter…

 

Even though it was none of his bloody business. Despite how wretched and guilty he was feeling, Harry still thought he had the right to be a little irritated. That was his private mail, and Draco shouldn’t have been reading through it if he didn’t want to potentially come across things that could upset him.

 

But even as Harry tried to convince himself of that fact, he couldn’t stop the overwhelming feeling of regret. As much as he’d wanted to know what on earth was going on with Draco's family, he hadn’t wanted answers to come at the cost of their budding rapport. Harry didn’t dare try and explain himself, though. Draco seemed far too angry to listen to reason at the minute, and Harry was still slightly wary of the possibility of getting something lobbed at his head when Draco's temper got the best of him.

 

But Harry wasn’t even sure if a calm Draco would be able to get over this, based on that explosive reaction. He felt like he’d been holding something very precious but very fragile in his hands, and one mistake had broken it beyond repair. Harry just thought it was a right shame that he hadn’t realised the extent to which he cared about what he and Draco had until it was forcefully ripped from him with no opportunity for its return...

To be continued...
The First Goodbye by aspionage

Breakfast hadn't been this stifled and awkward since Harry's first week at Spinner's End. Harry remained quiet and withdrawn, feeling rather depressed about the fight from the previous evening. Draco had spent most of last night locked in the bathroom, and had refused to speak to Harry when he at last emerged. He was almost impressively good at the silent treatment; Harry practically felt invisible.

 

Draco had a way of making his foul moods known to all, and his scowl was practically beaconing out his misery and fury that following morning. He was glowering at both Harry and Snape, which was thoroughly unpleasant. Unfortunately, Harry couldn't summon up the familiar old irritation that Draco’s sullen mood would normally trigger, because he knew Draco too well, now. He could see the hurt beneath the glare, and all he felt in response was shame.

 

Harry assumed Snape was just used to Draco's various moods by now, since he just left the other boy to his sulking and spent breakfast quizzing Harry on what he had and hadn't packed, reminding him to pick up all of the correct books in Diagon Alley, and other nonsense that felt far too parental for Harry's liking. He clearly hadn't realised that Draco's sullenness wasn't one of his typical bad moods, but the result of a more significant conflict.

 

And as much as Harry tried to convince himself that Draco was being ridiculous, that he hadn't even bothered to ask Harry about the letter before jumping to conclusions, he still felt the overwhelming urge to apologise, to make things right. That was certainly strange, since this was Draco Malfoy. Harry shouldn't value his company at all…

 

But he did.

 

And even more strangely, he was actually glad that Snape didn't know why Draco was upset today. Harry was worried he'd be disappointed that Harry had sent that nosy letter, or with him over Ron -

 

Since when did Harry care about disappointing Snape? The world really had gone mad…

 

But whether or not it had, Harry knew two things. One, he had to explain the truth to Draco, because he cared enough about their fragile friendship to actually fight for it, and two, he needed to have that conversation without Snape around, because Harry didn't think he could bear the man's disappointment if what had really happened was revealed.

 

But at Spinner's End, at the very least, it seemed as though that private conversation was not meant to be. Snape followed Harry and Draco upstairs while Harry threw a couple of last-minute things into his trunk, and levitated his belongings downstairs. Harry picked up Hedwig’s cage, gave her an Owl Treat, and turned to Snape. "Can owls go through the Floo?"

 

Draco let out a derisive snort, and Snape shook his head. "No. At any rate, Draco can't Floo. We're taking the Knight Bus instead."

 

Draco can't Floo? That seemed rather odd, and judging by Draco's furious glare, he wasn't too happy with Snape for mentioning it. Harry frowned, and saved it to contemplate later.

 

Snape shrank their trunks and placed them in his pocket while Harry took one last look around the house. It felt a lot less dark and intimidating than it had when he’d first arrived. Harry still vividly remembered standing here on the doorstep with Snape threatening him into behaving not one month ago. He'd known where he stood with Snape back then, at the very least. Mutual hatred. Things had really changed in such a short stretch of time…

 

He caught sight of Draco's furious face and grimaced. Maybe they hadn't, and all had been for naught.

 

They walked over the threshold and onto the pavement, where Snape extended his wand arm. The Knight Bus appeared moments later, screeching to a halt next to them. Snape was scowling at it fiercely, while Draco had his nose wrinkled.

 

Stan Shunpike leapt from the bus in his purple conductor’s uniform. “Welcome to the -”

 

He abruptly made a strangled squeaking noise and flinched back, eyes fixed on Snape. Stan looked absolutely terrified, and he had gone a stark white under his pimples. His mouth was opening and closing like a goldfish.

 

“Mr Shunpike.” Snape nodded, lips twisted into a sneer. “Passage for three, please.”

 

“Y-Yes, Professor,” Stan stammered, taking the coins from Snape with shaky hands. “Where to?”

 

“The Leaky Cauldron.”

 

“Right…”

 

He quickly ushered them on board. In his state of absolute panic, Stan hadn’t even realised Harry was there. He didn’t even glance at Harry or his scar once as they travelled to the Leaky Cauldron. Instead, Stan spent the bumpy journey staring down Snape, looking like he was ready to be sick. Snape, in return, sneered right back at him. The tension was thick in the air, and Harry was rather relieved to alight from the bus.

 

As the triple decker screeched away, Snape shook his head. "Irritating little boy."

 

"What's your problem with Stan?" Harry asked, raising an eyebrow. He felt a little defensive on Stan's behalf.

 

Snape's scowl deepened. "While he was at Hogwarts, a particularly enthusiastic explosion of his burned all of my hair off. It took a week to find the correct antidote."

 

Harry immediately imagined a bald, slightly smoking Snape and had to struggle against a snort as they walked into the Leaky Cauldron. He flattened his fringe over his scar, hoping to avoid any unwanted attention.

 

"Let's drop your belongings in your room," Snape said in a low voice, inclining his head in the direction of the staircase. Harry followed him up to a room a few doors down from the one he'd stayed in after running away from the Dursleys. Snape resized his trunk while Harry placed Hedwig's cage down.

 

"Everything has been paid for, so all you need to remember is to drop the key back with Tom tomorrow morning," Snape explained.

 

"Thanks," Harry said. He was glad he didn’t have to figure all of this stuff out himself for once.

 

"I believe I spotted the Weasleys downstairs as we came in. Shall we go and meet them?"

 

"Er - you don't have to hang around if you want to go on," Harry said, awkwardly scratching the back of his head. "I don't want to be a bother -"

 

"I need a word with Molly and Arthur before we split off," Snape said in a tone that beggared no argument. Harry simply nodded and followed Snape back out of his room, wondering what he and the Weasleys would even have to talk about.

 

"I'll run on ahead, Severus," Draco said as they walked down the hallway, raising his nose into the air haughtily. "I have business to attend to, and I'd rather not interact with the likes of those awful Weasleys."

 

Harry glared at Draco, who glared right back before shouldering past Harry and through the Leaky Cauldron, leaving Harry and Snape behind. Snape, somewhat surprisingly, didn't reprimand Draco for his rudeness. Harry shot him an annoyed look which Snape completely ignored.

 

Harry had barely made it down the stairs before he was hit headlong by a whirlwind of bushy hair.

 

"Harry!" Hermione cried, throwing her arms around his shoulders. "It's so good to see you!"

 

"Hermione! I didn't know you were coming, too!" Harry beamed at Hermione as she pulled back.

 

"Mum and Dad dropped me off with all my Hogwarts things this morning, so I’m going to King’s Cross with you and the Weasleys.”

 

Hermione gestured to Ron, who looked far more freckly than usual after his travels in Egypt. He tried to smile at Harry, but it came out rather strangled. "Er - hey, mate. Good to see you!"

 

"Hi?" Harry wondered what Ron's issue was. Moments later, he realised his friend wasn't actually looking at him, but at a point slightly over Harry's shoulder. His eyes were wide and concerned. Harry turned around to check what Ron was looking at, and realised Snape was currently speaking to the elder Weasleys in low, muttered tones. The three of them occasionally cast sidelong glances in Harry's direction, and all of them were frowning. Harry grimaced. Was Snape telling them about the Dursleys or something? Snape had said they were trying to keep his new custody arrangement quiet, but did the Weasleys fall under the umbrella of people who needed to know? Harry hoped not - it would be embarrassing if they found out about the Dursleys…

 

To be fair, Harry thought the Weasleys already had the general impression that all wasn't well at Privet Drive. To Harry's immense relief, though, they never explicitly addressed it like Snape did. He could reluctantly admit that there was a time and a place for confronting those sorts of problems, which was where Snape came in, but the Weasleys always gave Harry that little extra bit of normality that he desperately craved. He was still expected to get stuck in with de-gnoming the garden, and always got involved with the friendly bantering between the Weasley siblings.

 

And they did their best to fix the problems they knew about. Mrs Weasley always served Harry extra servings at dinner, while Mr Weasley had assured him that he was always welcome at the Burrow almost every day last summer. That truly meant something to him.

 

Yes, Harry greatly appreciated the Weasleys, although currently all of them except Mr and Mrs Weasley were staring at Snape with expressions of utter horror. Ron still looked like he was sucking on a lemon, while Fred, George and Ginny wore matching expressions of repulsion. Even Percy, suck-up to all teachers including Snape, looked slightly uncomfortable with the Potions Professor speaking to his parents.

 

Harry gave Ron a slightly sheepish look. "Yeah. That happened."

 

"How are you even alive?" Ron whispered, awe-struck. Harry couldn't help but snort a little, amused by the look of shock on his friend's face.

 

"Was it alright?" Hermione asked worriedly. "You look alright. Are you?"

 

"I am, actually," Harry said with a small smile. "It wasn't all that bad."

 

Ron's eyebrows furrowed. "Snape’s Confunded you, hasn't she?"

 

"I’m not Confunded!" Harry laughed, shoving Ron.

 

"Imperiused then."

 

"I am actually fine, Ron!" he stressed, trying to think of a way to put everything that had happened over the last few weeks in a way that wouldn't make him sound completely mental. It was a bit difficult, since Harry himself couldn't quite puzzle out how he felt or where he and Snape stood. He wasn’t entirely sure how they’d gone from hating each other to whatever this current situation was, he just knew that they had.

 

"He's been quite decent to me, actually," Harry said finally. It was the truth, after all, and the one word Harry couldn't think of that summed up how he felt.

 

Ron shook his head with an air of deep solemnity. "It's finally happened. You've well and truly lost your marbles."

 

"Oh, stop it, Ron!" Hermione said exasperatedly, rolling her eyes. "If Harry says he's fine, then I'm sure he is."

 

"It's alright," he said with a shrug. "It's all been a bit mad, honestly…"

 

"Harry."

 

He spun around and realised that Snape had managed to appear behind him, Ron and Hermione without making a sound. Harry always hated when he did that, since it was incredibly creepy.

 

"I shall be going into Diagon Alley to complete some shopping of my own,” Snape said. “I will stay in London until three, so feel free to find me if you require something.”

 

"Alright," Harry said with a nod.

 

"Stay close to the others and do not wander off on your own," Snape said sharply. "I'll know if you do."

 

Harry nodded again, running a finger over the grooves of the runes on his tracker. Snape would know, wouldn’t he?

 

"I'll see you at Hogwarts, then," Snape said briskly. "Goodbye."

 

"Bye." Just as Snape turned around to leave, Harry blurted out, "And thank you. For - er, for everything."

 

As Snape's eyes connected with his, Harry tried to convey with his face how much he really did appreciate everything Snape had done for him that last month. He'd made more of an effort for Harry than any other adult had for his entire life, and that really meant something to him.

 

Snape seemed to understand this. He nodded at Harry and pressed his lips together in an expression that almost looked like a smile. "There is no need to thank me."

 

And with that, he was gone.

 

Harry turned around, trying to push down the uncomfortable sense of finality he'd gotten from that conversation. Ron and Hermione were both staring at him with their mouths hanging open. Harry could hear Snape's voice in the back of his mind: 'Are you trying to catch flies?' His lips quirked.

 

"What was that?" Ron demanded.

 

"Did he just call you Harry?" Hermione added, visibly shocked.

 

"And did he smile? He can do that?!"

 

"Like I said. He's been weirdly decent."

 

"Pinch me, Fred," George said, coming up from behind and dramatically placing a hand on his chest. "I think I must be dreaming."

 

"Me too, George, me too," Fred said solemnly. "Why else would Harry call the greasy git decent?"

 

Hermione, Ron and Ginny all laughed. Harry tried to force a chuckle, but he felt strangely uncomfortable. That was strange. Normally he'd be joking around about Snape right along with them…

 

"Tell us everything!" George demanded.

 

"Did he test potions on you?" Fred asked.

 

"Did you ever see him eat garlic, by any chance?"

 

"Or step into direct sunlight?"

 

“Drink blood?”

 

"What do his quarters look like?"

 

"It must have been miserable spending a whole month in the dungeons!"

 

"Oh, he doesn't actually live there during the holidays," Harry said, relieved to finally have a question he felt comfortable answering. "I was at his house."

 

Unfortunately, judging by the expressions on Fred and George's faces, this had just opened him up to even more of an interrogation. Thankfully Mrs Weasley swooped in moments later, saving Harry from further questioning. She patted his arm and smiled. "It's wonderful to see you, dear."

 

"Nice to see you too, Mrs Weasley."

 

“Why don’t you three head out into Diagon Alley?” Mrs Weasley said, ushering Fred, George and Ginny away. She pointed a finger at Ron’s pocket. "Ron, you need to go and get that rat looked at."

 

"Should we head over to the Magical Menagerie, then?” Ron asked them.

 

“Oh, that would be good - I’ve been thinking about buying an owl,” Hermione said. “My parents gave me some money for an early birthday present.”

 

“Now, you have to tell us absolutely everything, Harry!" Ron said as they headed out of the Leaky Cauldron.

 

"Maybe in a minute," Harry muttered, glancing at Ron's siblings. They were all trailing vaguely behind, while Mrs Weasley shot out instructions at each of them, clutching onto a pile of book lists. Harry did want to tell his friends about everything that had happened with the Dursleys but he didn't want Ron's siblings to overhear, especially since Snape had specifically told him to keep his new living situation quiet with everyone except his closest friends. They already knew he’d stayed with Snape for the summer, and that was all they needed to know.

 

Luckily, Ron and Hermione seemed to sense this. They'd always been good about knowing when to keep Harry's secrets. Instead of continuing on with the Snape questions, Hermione deftly changed the subject and started talking about the history of witchcraft in France. Harry smiled to himself and exchanged a knowing look with Ron.

 


 

As they left the Magical Menagerie, Harry reflected that it was almost impressive how quickly his friends had found something to argue about.

 

"That thing tried to scalp me, Hermione!" Ron said indignantly. "Why the hell did you buy that monster?"

 

"He's not a monster!" Hermione protested, stroking the purring ginger cat in her arms. "Crookshanks is lovely!"

 

Harry had to side more with Ron there. Crookshanks was one extraordinarily ugly, angry cat. He was currently glaring at Ron with his lamp-like yellow eyes.

 

"He tried to eat Scabbers!" Ron said irritably, holding the rat close to his chest.

 

"He's a cat! That's what cats do!"

 

Harry rolled his eyes and started to tune out the bickering. He wondered for a moment if this was what he and Draco sounded like to Snape when they argued. All of a sudden he had a lot more sympathy for the man.

 

He'd still not had a chance to talk to Malfoy, Harry had realised, but now he wasn't sure if he particularly cared. He’d spent the last twelve hours on the receiving end of the silent treatment, and that rude comment about the Weasleys had helped Harry feel a little less ashamed. No, Harry was not going to feel guilty, especially when Malfoy was being such a stroppy prat and wouldn’t even give Harry a chance to explain himself! If he wanted to feel sorry for himself, fine, but he wasn’t going to make Harry’s life miserable, too.

 

“Harry?” Ron nudged him. “You alright there?”

 

“Yeah, fine.” He shook himself. “Wool gathering. Sorry. Should we go to Flourish and Blotts now, then?”

 

“Dangerous plan, mate,” Ron said, shooting a sidelong glance at Hermione. “We’ll never leave!”

 

“Oh, be quiet!” Hermione said, glaring at the snickering Ron. “That’s why I left the bookshop for last, I’ll have you know.”

 

“Maybe we should go to Florean Fortescue’s ice cream parlour after,” Harry said thoughtfully as they strolled through Diagon Alley. “I want to try more of their flavours.”

 

“Impossible,” Ron said with a shake of his head. “There’s just too many! Charlie’s been trying to taste them all for years - he used to spend all his pocket money on it - but he just can’t manage it. They update too often.”

 

“Harry, look!” Hermione nudged his shoulder and pointed to the left. Harry glanced up and saw Snape’s black-cloaked figure disappearing into the apothecary.

 

“He did say he was going to be here until three,” Harry reminded them, recalling the conversation from earlier.

 

“Can you tell us a bit more about it, then?” Ron asked as they entered Flourish and Blotts. He and Harry both trailed behind Hermione, who seemed to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the bookstore layout and easily started locating their textbooks for the upcoming year.

 

“You said it wasn’t too bad?” Hermione prompted from behind a gradually growing stack of books.

 

“Er - yeah,” Harry said. “Well. The first week was awful, but then things got better. I… well, I ran away at one point, actually, which is when things started improving.”

 

“You did what?” Ron’s jaw dropped. “How can you say Snape was decent if he made you pull a runner?!”

 

“Well, he and I sort of came to an understanding after that,” Harry said, shrugging his shoulders. “That was when it all got better, so…”

 

“But weren’t you in lots of trouble for leaving?” Hermione asked, her eyes wide. “I can’t imagine Professor Snape would have taken that very well!”

 

“Mum would kill me if I ran off one night without telling her where I was going, you know,” Ron added. Harry did know, as he remembered the explosive way in which Mrs Weasley had reacted when they walked into the Burrow after Ron and the twins had rescued Harry from the Dursleys.

 

“To be honest, he let me off pretty lightly, all things considered,” Harry said, running a finger along the silver bangle. He wondered if Snape would finally take the stupid thing off once they were back at school… Harry doubted it, somehow.

 

“Are you sure he actually let you off lightly?” Ron asked, giving him a slightly worried look. “You might have that thing kidnapper’s victims have - what is it? Stocky Syndrome or something -”

 

“Stockholm Syndrome,” Hermione corrected. “And that’s not applicable here, it’s when people fall in love with their captors.”

 

“Eugh!” Harry pulled a face. “I did not fall in love with Snape, you’ll be happy to know. Bloody hell, Ron!”

 

Ron and Hermione started laughing, and Harry rolled his eyes. “And no, I didn’t get in trouble at all, really. It was his and Malfoy’s fault I ran away to begin with, so…”

 

“I completely forgot about Malfoy!” Ron looked to Harry eagerly. “He was probably even worse than Snape! How did you bear it?”

 

“Badly,” Harry grumbled. He was still smarting from last night’s fight. “We kept fighting and arguing the whole summer. It is Malfoy, after all. He’s always been a poncey little git.”

 

Hermione gave him a sympathetic look. “I don’t know how I’d have managed an entire month with him. I’m sorry, Harry.”

 

“So am I,” he muttered.

 

“Did you hear all the stuff that happened with his parents, Hermione?” Ron asked. Harry stiffened, and busied himself with getting the coins out of his pocket to pay as the queue to the tills shuffled forwards.

 

Hermione nodded. “I’ve got a subscription to the Daily Prophet, and it was all detailed in there.”

 

“One of you could have told me,” Harry grumbled. “I didn’t hear any of this!”

 

“I was saving it for when I saw you in person,” Ron said. “Dad knows loads about it, since he was there doing the raid when it all went down.”

 

“Tell me more, then!” Hermione said eagerly. “The papers weren’t nearly as detailed as I’d have liked!”

 

“So, it was Dad and this team of DMLE Hit Wizards,” Ron said in a low, dramatic voice. “Lucius Malfoy knew about the raid, and he was standing to the side, looking all smug and stuff. He thought they weren’t going to find anything - of course, Dad found that hidden room. Apparently, it reeked of Dark magic. Like it was just rolling off it in waves, you didn’t even have to look at the objects. That’s when Malfoy attacked.”

 

Hermione gasped. “Mr Malfoy attacked your father?!”

 

“He didn’t actually manage to get a curse in - the Hit Wizards got to him before then and disarmed him,” Ron explained. “Dad was just about to start cataloguing all the stuff when there was this massive explosion - someone cast Fiendfyre inside the house, and it wrecked the place in seconds! He said he barely managed to get out of the Manor in time, same with Malfoy and his mum!”

 

“Draco was inside?” Harry asked suddenly, feeling strangely alarmed.

 

“Yeah, he was upstairs with his mum,” Ron said. He frowned. “Since when do you call him Draco?” 

 

“Er - weird rule of Snape’s,” Harry said quickly. “How did he get out, then?”

 

Ron shrugged. “Who cares? I think his mum did something. They arrested her, too, straight away. The Dark Artefacts were in her basement, after all. Malfoy didn’t get in any trouble, which I think is a right shame. The Malfoys are all as rotten as each other, and you remember how he told us about the trapdoor when we were Crabbe and Goyle, right? He obviously knew about everything! I bet he was in on it somehow…”

 

Hermione nodded in agreement, but Harry couldn’t bring himself to do anything other than stare blankly at the two of them. The image of Draco, face tearstained as he shouted that he wasn’t a criminal, felt branded into Harry’s mind. He shifted uncomfortably. Just one month ago, Harry would have been nodding along with Ron and Hermione as they disparaged Malfoy, taking vindictive pleasure in his circumstances, but he knew too much about Draco now. It didn’t have any appeal. In fact, he almost wanted to tell Ron and Hermione to stop it…

 

Harry ground his teeth and paid for his books quickly, feeling strangely annoyed at himself. He didn’t want to feel sorry for Malfoy right now, he wanted to remain righteously irritated about their fight!

 

“So what did Malfoy tell you about his parents and the fire, Harry?” Hermione asked after all their books were taken care of. She was quite eagle-eyed, and had probably noticed his reaction to Ron’s words.

 

“I didn’t hear anything,” Harry muttered. “Dra - Malfoy obviously wouldn’t talk to me about anything.” Harry grimaced at the lie, but he couldn’t pass on the things Draco had told Harry in the park on the day they’d been beaten up. That would be really wrong. “Snape won’t talk to me about it, either.”

 

Which, now that Harry thought about it, was actually quite unfair. Draco knew a frankly ridiculous amount about the Dursleys because Snape had gone on that rant at Dumbledore, and Harry still barely knew anything about Draco’s life! Couldn’t Snape have evened up their situations a bit? The anger Harry was feeling only grew, particularly towards Draco. He was really bloody nosy, wasn’t he? Not only did he read Harry’s mail, which was what had caused this whole nightmare in the first place, he’d also eavesdropped and found out everything about Harry’s horrid family! He hadn’t given Draco the silent treatment for doing that, had he? Draco should suck it up over that letter already! Harry ground his teeth, feeling remarkably cross.

 

Ron groaned. “Missed opportunity, mate.”

 

“I know,” Harry grumbled, the anger towards Draco that had been growing all day reaching a fever pitch. “It’s the only thing that would have made spending time with Malfoy worth it. He’s a complete pillock, you know. I’m bloody glad to be shot of him now…”

 

Harry walked past a column of books as he and his friends made their way over to the exit of Flourish and Blotts, and suddenly caught a glimpse of white blonde in his peripheral vision. He jerked his head to the side just in time to see Draco storming around the corner, ducking his head low. He’d almost certainly just overheard everything Harry had just said about him…

 

Harry very suddenly wished he’d never spoken at all. The anger dropped out in an instant, replaced with something more shameful.

 

Hermione noticed him watching Draco and winced. “I think he heard.”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“Malfoy’s going to be even worse than usual this year, I think,” Hermione said with a sigh. “His parents being in Azkaban is bound to make him even more horrid…”

 

But it didn’t need to be that way, Harry realised with a surge of misery. After those Muggles had beaten him and Draco up, it had felt like they were establishing a tentative sort of camaraderie. Things could have been so different this year…

 

But of course, Harry had gone and screwed it all up. He felt oddly ashamed, and the guilt seemed to strengthen further as his friends sat in the ice cream parlour, still gossiping about Malfoy. Harry wanted to join in, since he just wanted things to be normal, but nothing could go back to the way it was. Harry knew Snape was never going to go back to the horrid bullying git he’d once been, and Malfoy similarly wasn’t going to revert back to being the one-dimensional arse Harry had once known. Every time Harry tried to conjure up the familiar old hatred, all he could think about was Draco slumped in Snape’s arms and crying after he’d thrown that ornament, or Draco curled in on himself at the edge of the fair, chest heaving, or he and Draco holding each other up as they walked back after getting beaten to a pulp by those Muggles…

 

Harry poked at his ice cream sundae, stirring it into a tasteless soup. He’d been so excited about it earlier, but the general misery he was experiencing had robbed him of his appetite. He could hear Snape growling in the back of his head - emotional upset should not be an excuse to starve yourself ! - but that only served to make Harry feel worse.

 

Hermione nudged him, her eyes crinkled with concern. “What’s wrong, Harry?”

 

“Nothing,” he mumbled, staring into his lap.

 

“Harry…” Her voice was hesitant, and she was wringing her hands in her lap. “If Snape did anything bad to you while you were living with him, you can tell us, you know.”

 

Harry’s head shot up abruptly. “Sorry, what?”

 

Ron grimaced. “He is Snape, mate. I know you’re saying he was decent, but if you’re just saying that -”

 

“I wouldn’t just say that,” Harry interrupted. “He actually was alright with me.”

 

“Well, Harry…” Hermione said timidly. “I just… well, your perspective of what’s bad might be a bit skewed since… you know.”

 

Harry barely managed to hold back a hysterical little laugh. He was fairly certain Snape had also said that the Dursleys had given Harry a skewed perspective at some point or another! If only Hermione knew…

 

“If he did anything to you, we can go to McGonagall, or Dumbledore, or even my parents!” Ron said rather fiercely. “He shouldn’t get away with mistreating you -”

 

“Anymore than he already did last year?” Harry snorted. The teachers at Hogwarts certainly hadn’t bothered themselves about Snape before he’d changed. Harry couldn’t believe Dumbledore would suddenly give a damn, even if Snape had been beating him nightly.

 

“Look, I get you’re worried,” Harry said, “but he didn’t do anything to me. He didn’t hurt me or anything, and he wasn’t even all critical and vicious like he is in Potions! When I say he was alright, I mean it, as baffling as that is.”

 

  And he helped me. He played chess with me, and helped me with my accidental magic, and got me away from the Dursleys. 

 

Harry shook himself. For some reason, he couldn’t bring himself to tell his friends about what Snape had done in regard to the Dursleys just yet. If they were reacting like this already, Harry could only imagine how they’d react to finding out Harry was living with the man indefinitely. Besides, he needed a bit more time to mull things over himself before he told anyone.

 

“Harry…” Hermione said slowly, “what about the things Snape didn’t do? If he was standing by and letting Malfoy bully you -”

 

“He didn’t let Malfoy bully me,” Harry said irritably. Well - after the first week, at least. “He’s really strict with Malfoy, actually. He didn’t let anything slide.”

 

“Well…” Hermione still looked doubtful. “If you insist it was fine -”

 

“It was,” Harry assured her. “Look, if there was a problem, I’d tell you, okay? Besides, none of it matters now. We’re going back to Hogwarts!”

 

“That’s true,” Hermione said, cheering up a little. “Oh, I’m so excited for the new courses!”

 

“How many are you taking again?” Harry asked with a frown.

 

“Divination and Care of Magical Creatures, like the two of you, Ancient Runes, Arithmancy, of course, Muggle Studies -”

 

Ron snorted. “Muggle studies? Your parents are Muggles!”

 

Hermione examined him rather haughtily and tossed her head. “I thought it might be interesting to see them from a wizarding perspective!”

 

“So when are you actually planning to eat or sleep this year, then?” Harry asked. Hermione sighed exasperatedly, while Harry and Ron both smiled at each other knowingly.

 


 

Harry had forgotten how enjoyable it was to spend time with the Weasleys. Swept up in the crowd of loud, chattering redheads, it was easy to forget his troubles with Snape and Draco and just enjoy himself as Fred and George poked fun at Percy, or as Ron and Hermione caught him up on their summers. Mr and Mrs Weasley didn’t seem quite themselves, though, and were rather preoccupied for the whole of dinner by a copy of the Prophet detailing the latest on Sirius Black, who still hadn’t been caught.

 

Ron followed Harry’s gaze as he stared at the newspaper and eyed his father thoughtfully. “Say, would the person who caught Black get any kind of reward? It’d be nice to get a little extra money -”

 

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Mr Weasley said in a grave voice. “A thirteen-year-old wizard wouldn’t be able to catch Black. None of us will. It’ll be the Azkaban guards, I’m sure of it…”

 

“Have you all finished packing?” Mrs Weasley asked abruptly.

 

“Ron hasn’t put all his new things in his trunk yet,” Percy said, heaving a long-suffering sigh. “He’s dumped them on my bed.”

 

“You’d better go and pack properly, Ron, because we won’t have much time in the morning!” Mrs Weasley said, waving a hand in the direction of the staircase. Ron scowled at Percy and started stomping away. Harry slipped away after him, since he had a few things of his own to put away after all the shopping he’d been doing today. As Harry placed his new textbooks into his trunk, he wondered if Snape had made Draco finish packing yet. Knowing him, it had been the first thing he’d made Malfoy do when they got home -

 

Back to Spinner’s End, Harry corrected himself. He sighed and stared into his trunk at the properly fitting clothes Snape had bought for him. Despite the man’s assurances that everything wouldn’t revert to the way it had been the moment they all returned to Hogwarts, Harry still felt a little insecure. Everything that had happened with Malfoy in the last twenty-four hours had simply compounded that.

 

Harry’s door swung open without a knock. Ron stormed in and immediately started to kick the skirting board.

 

“Um,” Harry said. “Hi?”

 

“Percy,” Ron said through gritted teeth, “is a massive prat.”

 

“You can stay in here if you like,” Harry offered.

 

Ron gave him a thin smile. “Thanks, mate. Honestly, I don’t know how I’m gonna put up with a whole year of this! He’s going to be the most insufferable Head Boy…”

 

Harry gave him a sympathetic look and continued packing his things while Ron wandered around his room and prodded at a strangely-shaped lamp on Harry’s nightstand. They carried on in companionable silence for a while until Harry turned around and realised Ron was frowning at him.

 

Harry put down his new copy of Unfogging the Future and gave Ron a quizzical look. “What’s wrong?”

 

Ron chewed nervously on his lip for a moment before speaking. “Er - sorry we weren’t around this summer, for you to come to ours. If you ran away and all… was it really bad this year?”

 

Harry, of course, knew what it had to be and tensed slightly. This was a conversation about the Dursleys. It was only because this was Ron, who so rarely asked about Harry’s family life, that he answered honestly. He knew if Ron was outright asking, he was really quite worried. Ron normally didn’t press.

 

“It wasn't as bad as last year,” he admitted quietly. “I left before anything like that happened.”

 

That being the bars on the window and the starvation, which Ron and the twins knew about exclusively. Well, alongside Snape, now. Actually, now that Harry thought about it, Ron was second only to Snape when it came to people who knew the intimate details about Harry’s childhood and life in Little Whinging. He was also up there with Malfoy, Harry realised with no small amount of horror. His life really was mad…

 

Ron didn’t seem to notice Harry’s internal recoil as he thought things over. The expression on his face had grown more miserable. “If that wasn’t all bad enough, you got stuck with Snape instead of us!”

 

“Ron, please don’t feel bad,” Harry said earnestly, squeezing his friend’s shoulder. “I don’t expect you guys to always be at the Burrow, you know? You’ve already all done enough for me. Besides, the Dursleys aren’t your problem.”

 

“They shouldn’t be yours either,” Ron muttered irritably.

 

Harry hesitated. He hadn’t wanted to bring this up just yet, but Ron just looked so dejected, and maybe it would help ease his friend’s worries…

 

“Look, can you keep something secret from me?” Harry said. “From everyone, even Hermione.”

 

Ron raised an eyebrow and nodded slowly, waiting.

 

“Erm… I don't have to go back anymore.”

 

Ron’s eyes lit up. “Harry, that’s amazing news! How did that happen?”

 

“Well, that’s the thing,” Harry said, scratching the back of his head nervously. “Snape… er, he found out about the Dursleys. How they are.”

 

Ron’s happy expression vanished in an instant, to be replaced by a look of deep concern. “No! Are you okay? Was he completely awful?”

 

“No, actually,” Harry said. “He’s been really good about it. He was the one to organise everything so I never have to go back there now, if you can believe it.”

 

“Snape,” Ron said slowly. “Professor Snape. The Hogwarts Potions Professor.”

 

“Yep.”

 

“That’s mental,” Ron declared.

 

“I can barely get my head around it myself,” Harry said sheepishly. “But he has really helped me. He stopped being such an arse, too. That’s why I said he was decent - because he’s been so good about the Dursleys. I wouldn’t have expected it, but yeah…”

 

Well, Harry had a general idea where Snape had learned to be so understanding about difficult families. My father was a very unpleasant man. Harry definitely wasn’t ever going to tell Ron about that comment, though.

 

“At least someone’s finally done something,” Ron said. He looked incredibly relieved, like a weight had been lifted from his shoulders. “I’d never think Snape would be the one to do it, though.”

 

“Neither.”

 

“Do you know who you’re living with now, then?” Ron asked.

 

“No,” Harry lied. Ron had taken the news he'd received so far very well, but Harry had no idea how he’d react to the prospect of him living full-time with Snape yet. He barely felt comfortable with it, after all…

 

“You could definitely come and stay with us, you know,” Ron declared. “I know my parents would have you. They think you’re great.”

 

Harry smiled, feeling something warm spread throughout his chest. Even though Snape had already explained that he couldn’t live with the Weasleys, it was still nice to have that offered. “Thanks, mate. Remember not to mention it though, please?”

 

“I won’t,” Ron promised. “You are going to tell Hermione, right? She’d be good about it, I know she would.”

 

“Yeah, I just wanted a couple more days to get my head around everything.”

 

As much as Harry loved Hermione, she had the tendency to ask a lot of questions about things, and Harry wasn’t quite ready for the interrogation yet. He was still trying to process things himself. Ron was a little better at letting things drop, which was the only reason he’d brought it up now.

 

“Ron!” Percy shouted, storming up the corridor and sticking his head around the doorway. “My Head Boy badge is missing!”

 

Ron scowled. “How’s that my problem?”

 

“It was here,” Percy said indignantly, storming into Harry’s room and grabbing Ron’s arm. “I left it on the bedside table, I took it off for polishing -”

 

“I haven’t touched it!” Ron shouted as Percy started dragging him down the hallway. “Leave me alone, I’m busy with Harry -”

 

“You’re not going anywhere till you’ve found my badge!” Percy yelled.

 

“You probably left it in the bar, you twit!”

 

“I’ll check downstairs,” Harry said, unheard by both boys. This brotherly bickering reminded him a lot of him and Draco -

 

Harry shook himself, as he was not going to think of Draco in any sort of context that could be deemed as brotherly, no matter how weirdly guilty he was feeling. He was going to stop thinking about Draco entirely, as a matter of fact. Harry didn’t know why he was thinking of the other boy so much. He supposed it was an uncomfortable symptom of living in such close quarters…

 

Harry was so distracted by his thoughts that it took him a minute to register the raised voices coming from the parlour as he headed to the bar. It was Mr and Mrs Weasley. Harry went to continue onwards, not wanting to listen in on them fighting, but then he caught his own name in the fray and froze.

 

“…makes no sense not to tell him!” Mr Weasley hissed. “Harry’s got a right to know. He’s thirteen years old and -”

 

“Arthur, the truth would terrify him!” Mrs Weasley said shrilly. “Do you really want to send Harry back to school with that hanging over him? For heaven’s sake, he’s happy not knowing!”

 

“I don’t want to make him miserable, I want to put him on his guard!” Mr Weasley said. “You know what Harry and Ron are like, wandering off by themselves - they’ve ended up in the Forbidden Forest twice! Harry mustn’t do that this year! When I think what could have happened to him that night he ran away from home! If the Knight Bus hadn’t picked him up, I’m prepared to bet he would have been dead before the Ministry found him.”

 

“But he’s not dead, he’s fine, so what’s the point -”

 

“Molly they say Sirius Black’s mad, and maybe he is, but he was clever enough to escape from Azkaban, and that’s supposed to be impossible,” Mr Weasley said grimly. “It’s been three weeks, and no one’s seen hide nor hair of him, and I don’t care what Fudge keeps telling the Daily Prophet, we’re no nearer catching Black than inventing self-spelling wands. The only thing we know for sure is what Black’s after -”

 

“But Harry will be perfectly safe at Hogwarts!”

 

“We thought Azkaban was perfectly safe! If Black can break out of Azkaban, he can break into Hogwarts.”

 

“But no one’s really sure that Black’s after Harry -”

 

There was a loud thudding noise. “Molly, how many times do I have to tell you? They didn’t report it in the press because Fudge wanted it kept quiet, but Fudge went out to Azkaban the night Black escaped. The guards told Fudge that Black’s been talking in his sleep for a while now. Always the same words: ‘He’s at Hogwarts …he’s at Hogwarts.’ Black is deranged, Molly, and he wants Harry dead. If you ask me, he thinks murdering Harry will bring You-Know-Who back to power. Black lost everything the night Harry stopped You-Know-Who, and he’s had twelve years alone in Azkaban to brood on that…”

 

Harry felt his heart speed up, and he leaned closer to the parlour door.

 

“It’s not your decision to make, Arthur!” Mrs Weasley said fiercely. “You can’t tell him, especially after Severus said not to -”

 

“Severus doesn’t know what he’s talking about!” Mr Weasley snapped. “You know perfectly well that he has a history with Black. He’s letting his own problems get in the way of what ought to be done!”

 

“But that doesn’t matter!” Mrs Weasley said angrily. “He’s Harry’s guardian now, so we don’t get to make these decisions, and you know it!”

 

“Well, remember that if Severus does something you disagree with,” Mr Weasley muttered.

 

“You’re not to tell him, Arthur,” Mrs Weasley said firmly. “We can’t, and you know it.”

 

Mr Weasley sighed. “I know… fine. I’ll keep my mouth shut. I'd never have taken Severus for a fool -”

 

"Watch yourself," Mrs Weasley said sharply. "He's trying to protect Harry, and it's about time someone did that."

 

Mr Weasley sighed and didn't respond. Harry heard the scraping of chairs, and hurried out into the bar so they didn’t know he’d been listening. His heart was thudding uncomfortably as he scooped up a bottle of rat tonic belonging to Scabbers. No sign of the Head Boy badge, but that felt inconceivably irrelevant to Harry by now, considering what he knew.

 

So Sirius Black was after him. That explained everything, didn’t it? Fudge had been lenient with him because he was so relieved to find Harry alive. Snape had reacted so explosively every time Harry had left Spinner’s End because he’d wrongly assumed that Harry had been abducted by Black. It explained why he was so paranoid about Black in general, too…

 

Harry wasn’t particularly worried about imminent murder, as he was of the opinion that he would be rather safe at Hogwarts - Dumbledore was the only wizard who scared Voldemort, and as his right-hand man, Black probably ought to be just as worried about him, too.

 

No, the thing that bothered Harry about all of this was that Snape had hidden it from him. Harry had asked him outright multiple times why he was so paranoid about Sirius Black, but Snape had either changed the subject or given him that strange answer about Black maybe wanting to come after Harry because he was the Boy-Who-Lived. Meanwhile, they had explicit evidence that Black was after Harry!

 

But much like Mrs Weasley, Snape apparently thought that Harry would be a panic-stricken basket case if he knew the whole truth about Black.

 

It’s because you’ve been acting like a needy, emotional wreck all summer, a nasty voice in the back of his head whispered. This is what happens when you keep crying and freaking out over nothing with him, you pathetic idiot. He treats you like a needy child. You’re useless. He thinks you can’t handle it.

 

  This is what happens when people find out about the Dursleys.

 

Harry took a shuddering breath. He drew his resentment tightly around him like a cloak and locked himself in his room for the night, feeling oddly hurt by the discovery that Snape didn’t think he was strong enough to handle this.

 

And what was that about Snape having a history with Black? Had something happened between the two men? Was that another reason why Snape was so paranoid?

 

Harry didn’t know. All he did know was that Snape was keeping secrets from him, and there was nothing Harry hated as much as being lied to.

To be continued...
Growing Pains by aspionage

“Harry, Harry! Are you alright?”

 

Someone was shaking him by the shoulders. Harry felt as if he was breaking through a rather large body of water as he struggled to open his sticky eyes. Ron and Hermione’s anxious faces swam above him. He’d somehow slid out of his seat and onto the floor, which he could feel vibrating. The train was moving again, then. He felt clammy, cold and sick to his stomach as Ron and Hermione helped him sit back on his seat.

 

“What was that thing?” Harry asked shakily. “What happened? Who screamed?”

 

Ron and Hermione exchanged worried looks with Neville and Ginny, who were staring at him from across the compartment.

 

“No one screamed,” Ron said nervously.

 

“But - but I heard -”

 

A loud snap cut him off. Harry turned his head and saw Professor Lupin, the shabbily-dressed man who had spent the majority of the journey sleeping in their compartment, breaking a large bar of chocolate into small pieces.

 

“Here,” he said, handing Harry a particularly large chunk. “Eat this. It’ll help.”

 

Harry took the chocolate but didn’t eat it. ‘What was that thing?”

 

“A Dementor,” Lupin explained, handing out pieces of chocolate to the others. “One of the Azkaban guards.”

 

Everyone stared at him anxiously as he got to his feet, brushing down his shabby robes.

 

“Eat,” Lupin repeated. “It’ll help. I need to speak to the driver, excuse me …”

 

He strolled past Harry and disappeared into the corridor.

 

“Are you sure you’re OK, Harry?” said Hermione, watching Harry anxiously.

 

“I don’t get what happened,” he mumbled, wiping cold sweat off his face.

 

“It was that Dementor,” Ron said. Harry noticed he was trembling slightly. “It came in and you went all rigid - fell out of your seat and started twitching…”

 

“Professor Lupin made it go away,” Neville said, his voice rather high-pitched. “He told it none of us were hiding Sirius Black under our cloaks, and shot some silver thing at it when it wouldn’t move. It was horrible…”

 

“I felt like I’d never be cheerful again,” Ron said quietly. Ginny let out a loud sob, and Hermione got up to go and put an arm around her. She had gone a stark shade of white.

 

“But - well, no one else fell out of their seats?” Harry asked in a small voice.

 

“No,” Ron said, shaking his head. “Ginny was shaking like mad, though…”

 

Harry stared at the chocolate, which had started melting onto his fingertips. He somehow felt even more awful with that new piece of information - and since he currently felt like he was recovering from a nasty bout of the flu, that was saying something. Why had that happened? Why had he gone to pieces when nobody else had?

 

Why was he always so damn weak?

 

“I haven’t poisoned that chocolate, you know.” Harry turned his head and saw Professor Lupin watching from the compartment door. He finally bit into the chocolate and felt a strange surge of warmth flood through him, like a strong Heating Charm had been applied. The majority of his shivering ceased, and he felt remarkably better in an instant.

 

“We’ll be at the station in ten minutes,” Lupin said. “Are you alright, Harry?”

 

“Fine,” he muttered, feeling his cheeks burn.

 

He stayed quiet for the rest of the journey, staring into his lap until the shudders of the moving train gradually came to a halt. Ron and Hermione flanked him on either side, and kept casting nervous, sidelong glances at him. Harry resisted the urge to snap at them that he felt fine, since he didn’t want to outright lie. Harry still felt rather weak and shallow. That feeling only worsened as the horseless carriage driving them to Hogwarts passed through the gates, which were flanked by Dementors. A great wave of cold and despair washed over him, and Harry pressed the heels of his hands into his eyes and sank back into his seat until they were at last through.

 

When the coaches arrived at the school, Harry dismounted and noticed Draco was staring at him in the distance, his eyes crinkled with worry. He was generally a pale person, but was currently a ghostly white, eyes red rimmed. There was something off about his appearance that Harry couldn’t put his finger on, until he realised that for once Draco wasn’t flanked by Crabbe and Goyle. It made him look smaller, somehow.

 

Draco opened his mouth, as if to say something, before his face hardened and he stormed off into the castle.

 

Ron scowled in his direction. “Git. At least he left us alone for once…”

 

Harry was quite glad of that, too. He really didn’t feel up to a fight with Draco, since he still felt a little unwell.

 

He was just about to press into the Great Hall when a voice called, “Potter! Granger! I want to see you both!”

 

Harry turned around and saw Professor McGonagall, standing tall amongst the crowd of students and beckoning a finger towards them. Harry fought through the others with a sense of foreboding.

 

“You’re not in any trouble, I just want a word,” she said. Professor McGonagall shot a sharp look at Ron, who was trailing behind. “Move along, Weasley.”

 

Harry and Hermione were ushered through a series of corridors and up a staircase until they found themselves in Professor McGonagall’s office, a rather large and warm room with a roaring fire. She settled herself behind her desk and examined them closely. “I heard you took ill on the train, Potter?”

 

Before there was time for Harry to respond, there was a soft knock at the door. Madam Pomfrey hurried in, and Harry felt his face heat up.

 

“I’m fine,” he tried. Harry hated people making a fuss. “Really, I -”

 

“Oh, it’s you, is it?” Madam Pomfrey said, completely ignoring his protests and bending down to stare closely at him. “I suppose you’ve been doing something dangerous again?”

 

“It was a Dementor, Poppy,” Professor McGonagall said. They exchanged a dark look and Madam Pomfrey clucked disapprovingly.

 

“For heaven's sake!” a voice snapped from behind Harry’s head. He jerked his head around and realised that Snape had managed to materialise in the doorway in his customary silent manner. He was staring at Harry with a mixture of exasperation and concern clear on his face. “I hear you collapsed?”

 

Harry scowled at him and didn’t respond. Snape’s worried expression was just reminding him that he thought Harry was too weak to know about Black, which he was still rather cross about.

 

“Setting Dementors around a school was always a ridiculous idea,” Madam Pomfrey muttered, feeling Harry’s forehead with her hand. “He won’t be the first one who collapses. Yes, he’s all clammy. Terrible things, they are, and the effect they have on people who are already delicate -”

 

“I’m not delicate!” Harry snapped. He was certain he had to be bright red by now with embarrassment.

 

“Of course you’re not, dear…” Madam Pomfrey said absently, checking his pulse.

 

“So, what does he need?” Professor McGonagall asked. “Bed rest, perhaps? A night in the Hospital Wing may be apt -”

 

“I am fine!” Harry hissed, jumping to his feet. “See?”

 

“Sit back down,” Snape ordered sharply, taking a step forward. Harry remained obstinately on his feet and shot him a look of pure loathing. “Mind your manners, Potter. You will do as Madam Pomfrey orders.”

 

Harry was confused by the switch to surnames for a moment, until he remembered Snape’s talk from a couple of days ago. They were supposed to use formalities in front of other people at Hogwarts.

 

“He should have some chocolate, at the very least,” Madam Pomfrey said. Moments later, Snape somehow had a bar of chocolate in his hand, which he shoved at Harry.

 

“I’ve already had some,” Harry said, trying to hand it back. “Professor Lupin gave me some. He gave it to all of us.”

 

This somehow only managed to worsen Snape’s obvious annoyance. “I do not care what Lupin did,” he growled, voice dripping with venom. “Eat it.”

 

Harry rolled his eyes, unwrapped the chocolate bar and bit into it.

 

“At least we’ve finally got a Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher who knows his remedies.” Madam Pomfrey said approvingly.

 

This somehow only served to make Snape even angrier. He made a strange, furious sort of noise in the back of his throat, and glowered into the distance. Madam Pomfrey jabbed a finger at him, eyes narrowed. “Do not start, Severus.”

 

Shockingly, Snape pressed his lips together and looked away, chastened. Harry didn’t think he’d ever seen Snape cowed by someone, but he supposed Madam Pomfrey held that kind of power with everyone, even adults. Perhaps she remembered Snape from his time at school or something…

 

Still, Snape managed to regain his wits rather quickly, and asked, “What is to be done with Potter? Don’t let him talk you out of bed rest if he needs it, Poppy.”

 

“I’ve already told you I’m fine! Stop fretting!” Harry said loudly. “I’m not delicate, I’m not fragile, so can you just leave it?”

 

“No, I will not leave it!” Snape hissed, folding his arms. “You need to start valuing your health appropriately.”

 

“Oh my God -”

 

“Gentlemen?” Professor McGonagall interrupted. Harry suddenly remembered there were three other people in the room and felt the burning in his cheeks reach an unbearable heat. He wished he could sink into the floor. Snape was staring at Harry in a way that suggested they’d be having words about this later, he realised with annoyance. Harry noticed Hermione was also watching him closely, with a mixture of fascination and shock clear on her face. Probably because he’d just gotten into a vocal argument with Snape and hadn’t gotten fifty points taken from Gryffindor…

 

Well, there was still time for that, Harry reflected glumly.

 

“He should be able to go to the feast,” Madam Pomfrey said, completely ignoring the tension between Harry and Snape. “If you start feeling faint at all, report straight to the Hospital Wing.”

 

“I will,” Harry said, although he had no intention of doing any such thing.

 

“Will you?” Snape asked pointedly. Harry exhaled very loudly out of his nose and didn’t respond.

 

“Minerva, shall I leave you to finish your discussion with Miss Granger?” Snape asked. “I need a word with Potter and Poppy outside.”

 

“Very well,” she said. “Wait outside when you’re done, Potter, and I’ll walk you and Granger to the feast.”

 

Harry slunk outside after Snape and Madam Pomfrey. As soon as the door closed, Snape turned to the matron. “I’ve been meaning to inquire - are you available soon? This business has reminded me that Mr Potter requires a general health checkup.”

 

Madam Pomfrey tutted and gave Harry a sympathetic look that made the burning in his cheeks reignite with renewed vigour. “Of course. After everything I was informed of… come to the Hospital Wing before dinner tomorrow, Mr Potter.”

 

“Er - I’m alright, thanks.”

 

“I missed the part where that was a request,” Snape said sharply, putting his hands on his hips and looming over Harry.

 

“I don’t need a check-up!” he protested. “I’m fine!”

 

“Remind me when your last doctor’s appointment was?” Snape inquired icily.

 

“Um…” Harry racked his brains. Surely he’d had one, right? He’d been to the Hospital Wing a fair amount at Hogwarts of course, but he somehow doubted Snape counted that. He meant Muggle doctors. That was a little trickier to put his finger on…

 

“And herein lies the issue,” Snape said when his silence had dragged on for too long. “You’re going.”

 

“I don’t want to!”

 

“And I don’t care,” Snape finished, eyebrows knitting together. “You’re going. That’s final.”

 

Harry groaned loudly and crossed his arms.

 

“It’s nothing to fuss over, Potter,” Madam Pomfrey said briskly. Harry jolted, having forgotten she was even there. “Just a few questions and spells. Nothing to worry about. I’ll see you before dinner, then?”

 

“I’ll also be with you, Poppy,” Snape said rather menacingly. “To make sure Potter behaves.”

 

Harry winced slightly. Snape was starting to look highly irritated, which was further proven as he rounded on Harry once the sound of Madam Pomfrey’s clicking shoes had faded into the distance.

 

“Can you make an effort to pull yourself together?” Snape said, voice low and harsh. “Why are you throwing a fit about this?”

 

“Because I don’t want any sort of stupid check-ups! Bloody hell!”

 

“Five points from Gryffindor for inappropriate language,” Snape said, eyes flashing.

 

Harry glowered at him. “Gryffindor doesn’t even have points yet! It’s the start of the term!”

 

“Then congratulations,” Snape said snidely, “you have somehow managed to get your house into the negatives already. A new record.”

 

“This was your plan all along, wasn’t it?” Harry shouted, feeling remarkably angry. “Using all this as an excuse to take points from Gryffindor! It’s always all about Slytherin, isn’t it?”

 

“Yes, I went through all of this hassle for the pure sake of trivial, juvenile concerns like the House Cup!” The cutting edge of sarcasm in Snape’s voice was particularly biting. “No, Potter, as a matter of fact I don’t care all that much about house points! I simply hoped that maybe, just maybe, they would be the motivator that finally got through to you!”

 

It was only because of his continual concern over house points that Harry didn’t continue that line of argument. Five points could easily turn into fifty, after all. Snape was far from done, however.

 

“Now, if you will, explain what exactly is your problem with a routine medical procedure,” he said, pressing his lips together into a thin, white line.

 

“Because I don’t need all of this fussing!” Harry said furiously. “Especially over something as stupid as fainting, it’s embarrassing! I’m not fragile, or delicate, and you all treat me like I’m going to fall apart at a moment’s notice and I’m sick of it!”

 

“Merlin save me from adolescent boys!” Snape hissed, pressing a hand to his forehead. “I don’t understand why this has bruised your apparently fragile ego, Potter, but there is nothing shameful about a bad reaction to a Dementor.”

 

“There is when I was the only one that fell like that!” Harry said, clenching his hands into fists. “It’s really embarrassing, actually, and you know it!”

 

“Fine!” Snape threw his hands in the air. “I can see I’m not going to make any headway into your obstinance tonight, so believe whatever ridiculous notions have taken your fancy. I have other matters to attend to that don’t include your foul-temperedness. I will see you in the Hospital Wing as soon as your lessons conclude tomorrow.”

 

He stormed away down the corridor moments before Professor McGonagall’s office door swung open, revealing her and Hermione. She gave Harry a slightly worried look while Professor McGonagall simply arched an eyebrow, expression disapproving. She led the two of them down the marble staircase and into the Great Hall just as Dumbledore clapped his hands, causing the four house tables to groan with the weight of dozens of golden plates of food. Harry took advantage of the distraction to slip through to the Gryffindor table with Hermione unnoticed. They sourced Ron quickly, who waved at them cheerily. He looked far happier than he had on the train.

 

“Hi, you two!” he said, patting the bench next to him. “You’ll never guess who’s our new Care of Magical Creatures teacher!”

 

“Who?” Hermione asked eagerly.

 

“Hagrid!”

 

Harry suddenly understood the cause for Ron’s good mood. “That’s brilliant!” he said happily, looking up to the staff table where Hagrid sat. His beetle-black eyes were glowing, and he was beaming beneath his thick beard.

 

“We’ve got to congratulate him after the feast!” Hermione said.

 

“Definitely,” Harry agreed, piling his plate with food. Even though Snape had forcibly stuffed him with chocolate in Professor McGonagall’s office, he was still pretty hungry. The Welcome Feast always tended to have that effect.

 

As the meal continued, however, Harry’s hunger dimmed with his mood. Several people were glancing down the table at him, and he caught the words ‘Potter’ and ‘fainted’ several times in the din of chatter. His heart sank. Had word of the incident on the train spread that quickly?

 

Ron noticed Harry staring moodily at his plate and clapped him on the shoulder. “Don’t worry about it, mate. Anyway, you’re not the only one who had a bad reaction. I heard Malfoy sicked up.”

 

“Wait, really?” Harry asked.

 

“Fred and George told me,” Ron said, nodding in the direction of his brothers. “He came running into their compartment, apparently.”

 

Harry craned his neck and scanned for Draco’s hair along the Slytherin table. He spotted him quite quickly, since Draco was sitting at the very end, completely alone. Despite the fact that the tables in the Great Hall were typically packed shoulder to shoulder during feasts, there was a sizeable gap between Malfoy and the rest of the Slytherins. He was hunched over his plate, eating quite quickly without looking at anyone. Harry hoped he was alright…

 

“I wonder why he reacted like that?” Hermione said thoughtfully.

 

“Who cares?” Ron shrugged nonchalantly. “The Dementors seem to mess everybody up at least a little bit, though. I saw loads of people crying and shaking as I came into the Great Hall! I don’t get why everyone’s making such a fuss over you, Harry.”

 

“Neither do I,” he grumbled, viciously slicing into his chicken.

 

Hermione frowned at him. “Speaking of - Harry, what was going on between you and Snape in Professor McGonagall’s office?”

 

Harry scowled at the table. “He’s a git. That’s what’s going on."

 

“Thought you said he was decent this time yesterday!” Ron snorted.

 

“Things change,” Harry said shortly. “He’s being all weird with me, and I don’t like it.”

 

“Still, I can’t believe you shouted at him, Harry!” Hermione said, her eyes wide. “He’s a professor!”

 

“He riles me up,” Harry grumbled. “And I rile him up. He’s vaguely threatening me into going to Madam Pomfrey now for some sort of check-up! Can you believe it?”

 

Harry looked around to his friends for support in his indignation, but both of them looked slightly confused.

 

“Well…what’s so bad about that?” Hermione asked haltingly.

 

“Because I don’t like a fuss!” Harry said irritably. “I just want to be left alone!”

 

“Maybe it’s good that someone’s finally bothering about you, though,” Ron suggested hesitantly. “Look, I get it can be annoying. My mum hovers sometimes and it drives me barmy, but you just sort of have to get on with it, you know? It’s just one of those things.”

 

“Ron, do you realise you’re defending Snape right now?” Harry asked, hoping that would snap his friend back to reality.

 

Ron blanched. “I am, aren’t I? Weird. Maybe I’ve caught Stockholm Syndrome from you.”

 

“You can’t catch Stockholm Syndrome, Ronald!” Hermione said irritably. “It’s not even communicable!”

 

They let the matter of Snape and the medical appointment that Harry was so annoyed about drop for the time being and didn’t discuss it any further, even through dessert and while they congratulated Hagrid for his new job role. It was only when they’d entered the Gryffindor common room and had taken their usual seats by the roaring fire, trying to put off going to bed just yet, that Hermione turned to Harry with a thoughtful frown on her face.

 

“Harry…” she said hesitantly. “Why was Snape so concerned about you earlier? And don’t just say he’s a git again. I can tell there’s something going on here. What actually happened between you two this summer?”

 

Harry pushed aside some of his irritation over the whole checkup debacle and sighed. “Things changed.”

 

“But why?” Hermione pressed. “What’s made his behaviour change?”

 

“Erm…” Harry fidgeted with his hands in his lap and sighed. Well, he supposed there was nothing else for it. “He found out some stuff about the Dursleys.”

 

Hermione gasped and pressed a hand to her mouth. "Oh, no!"

 

"But it's not bad!" Harry said quickly. "He was good about it all. He stopped me from ever having to go back there after he found out."

 

Hermione still didn't look too impressed. "When you say he's being alright about it, are you really sure?"

 

"Yes," Harry said firmly. "He stopped being so horrible to me after me once he found out, and he's tried to - er, help me through it I guess."

 

"I still find it weird that Snape of all people would be good about something like that," Ron said, stroking his chin with a finger.

 

  My father was a very unpleasant man. 

 

"Er - well, he just is."

 

Hermione's eyebrows knitted together. "So who are you staying with now, then?"

 

Harry opened his mouth to tell them, but quickly stopped himself. Ron and Hermione in particular were both so concerned about how Snape had treated him during the holidays… he could only imagine how horrified they'd be when they found out Snape was his guardian. Their potential for a bad reaction concerned him. Besides, Harry didn’t want to fess up about Snape being his guardian when he was still so irritated with the man because of their argument.

 

"They're still working it out," Harry lied. "But I'm at Hogwarts all year anyway, so it doesn't matter where I go now, right?"

 

"I suppose," Hermione said, although she still looked a little worried. "It's good you don't have to stay with your aunt and uncle anymore, though! Are you pleased?"

 

Harry smiled to himself. "Yeah, I think I am."

 

I'll tell them soon, Harry promised himself as they made their way up to their dormitories. Soon.

 

Harry wondered why that thought of actually following through on that filled him with dread.

 


 

“Woo, Potter!” Pansy Parkinson jeered from the Slytherin table. “A big, scary Dementor’s coming! Watch out!”

 

“Ignore them,” Hermione muttered as the Slytherins all started laughing cruelly. Harry squared his shoulders and buttered his toast with unnecessary vigour. He nibbled at it unenthusiastically, trying to push the incident with the Dementor to the furthest corners of his mind as everyone started eagerly examining their timetables, which Professor McGonagall had just handed out. Ron and Hermione had gotten into some kind of bickering match about how Hermione was supposed to fit in all her lessons which Harry was ignoring. Well, at least he had Care of Magical Creatures that afternoon. It would be nice to see Hagrid teaching for the first time.

 

Of course, there was Divination to get through first.

 

Harry, Ron and Hermione spent a rather long time struggling to make their way to the top of North Tower, where they’d never been before, and were all huffing and panting by the time they entered Professor Trelawney’s classroom. Harry immediately decided that Professor Trelawney was a rather odd woman, between her strange, misty voice and her round glasses that magnified her eyes to an unnaturally large size. His impression of the Divination professor only worsened when she declared that Harry had the Grim in the bottom of his teacup, an omen for his imminent death. The Grim, according to her, took the form of a large, black dog…

 

And Harry had seen a black dog hanging around recently, hadn’t he? In the background of Magnolia Crescent on the night he'd run away from home, and, of course, the dog which had chased off the gang of Muggle boys who had beaten him and Draco up…

 

Harry frowned to himself. Why would a spectre of death help him escape a beating, though? Wasn’t that a bit odd?

 

Whatever the reason was, it still really unsettled Harry.

 

Having one’s death predicted was never a particularly pleasant activity, and it left Harry feeling rather miserable for the majority of Transfiguration, especially when everyone kept turning around to give him anxious looks. The only thing that helped a little was when Professor McGonagall told them all about how inaccurate Divination was, although even that didn’t seem to satisfy Ron. He expounded at length about his great-uncle’s encounter with a Grim until he and Hermione got into a shouting match over the validity of Divination and started giving each other the silent treatment. They both refused to exchange a word for the entirety of lunch and for their entire walk through the grounds to Care of Magical Creatures.

 

Having quickly grown bored of Ron and Hermione’s spat and subsequent silence, Harry sidled over to Draco, who was currently scuffing the dirt with his shoe and looking generally miserable. “Er - hey. Can we have a word?”

 

Draco’s features settled into his familiar sneer. “And why would I want to speak to you, Potter?”

 

Harry winced at his iciness. “Look, I’m really sorry about what you saw in that letter, but it wasn’t recent, okay? I wasn’t gossiping about you with him, I promise. I’d sent a letter to Ron ages and ages ago asking what was going on with you because no one was telling me anything, but that was before we started getting on! I’d not do that now -”

 

“Oh? Wouldn’t you?” Draco inquired coolly. “What about all that chatter in Flourish and Blotts? Aren’t you glad to be shot of a stupid pillock like me?”

 

Harry flushed. “Draco, I -”

 

“No!” Draco said sharply. “Don’t call me that. And for your information, we don’t ‘get on’. I thought for a second that perhaps we could be somewhat friendly, but you’ve once again proven that you’ll always go and choose Weasley over me!”

 

He stormed away, hands clenched into fists. Harry was about to go after him, but Hagrid emerged from his hut to begin the lesson, ending any opportunities for further conversation.

 

Harry couldn’t quite understand why Draco was apparently angry with him for being friendly to Ron. Even if they had or hadn’t started getting on that summer, Harry would obviously have more loyalty to Ron, right? After all, Ron hadn’t spent the last few years being a complete and utter arse when it came to Harry…

 

But part of Harry desperately wished he didn’t have to make a choice here. He just wished he could figure out a way to make things right with Draco, but every time they came in contact with each other, he just seemed angrier and angrier. Harry didn’t know what to do to fix things.

 

Between his general feelings of misery, it was very hard to pay attention, although being forced to bow to Buckbeak and ride around the paddock did help lift Harry’s mood ever so slightly. The adrenaline rush of encountering a potentially deadly magical creature did provide a nice distraction from his worries.

 

As the rest of the class all broke away to go and nervously bow to their own Hippogriffs, Harry found he couldn’t stop staring at Draco while Ron and Hermione dealt with the chestnut Hippogriff. While the rest of the Slytherins had broken off into groups of two or three, Draco was alone. He was sharing Buckbeak with Crabbe and Goyle, both of whom were pointedly ignoring Draco and turning around to talk to a Slytherin boy whose name Harry didn’t know. After Buckbeak had bowed in return to Draco, he glanced over to them expectantly while he patted the Hippogriff’s beak, then scowled when he realised they were still ignoring him.

 

“What, are you nervous?” Draco jeered. “Is that why you’re hiding over there? Don’t be babies! I’d bet even you two simpletons could tame a great, ugly brute like this -”

 

Harry barely had time for a gasp to escape his lips before Buckbeak shot forward with a deep growl, and with a flash of glinting talons, Draco was on the ground. He screamed loudly, and blood began blossoming through his slashed robes.

 

“I’m dying!” he shouted, clutching at his arm while Buckbeak strained at his collar to get to him, making a furious keening noise. “I’m dying, look at me! It’s killed me!”

 

Harry started to try and rush over to him, but someone grabbed his arm in a vice grip - Hermione. Her eyes were wide and anxious.

 

"Don't!" she shouted. "Buckbeak might hurt you, too!"

 

Harry was about to break free of her grip to get to Draco, but Hagrid beat him to it. He scooped Draco up in his large arms. “Yer not dyin’!” he yelled, looking rather panicked. “Someone help me get ‘im out…”

 

As Hagrid turned around, more blood splattered onto the ground. Harry grabbed onto Ron’s arm quite suddenly, finding himself not entirely able to breathe through all the blood, and the screaming class, and Draco face, twisted in pain…

 

Seamus shoved open the paddock gate, and Hagrid began to run up the grassy slope towards the castle. Blood droplets beaded in the grass like glittering rubies in his wake.

 

“Harry, are you alright?” Ron muttered, staring at him worriedly. Harry suddenly realised how tightly he was gripping his friend and released Ron.

 

“Fine,” he said breathlessly. Harry had to consciously remind himself to take a few gasping breaths when he started growing lightheaded, like Snape had taught him to do. Ron still seemed concerned but luckily, the rest of the class was too panic-stricken to notice his moment of weakness.

 

Panic-stricken might be the wrong word, Harry reflected, upon closer inspection of the Slytherins. In fact, Pansy Parkinson was laughing rather viciously.

 

“What a little coward!” she cackled. “Did you see the way he was crying?”

 

Harry glowered at her and loudly let out a disapproving huff. Several Gryffindors sharply turned to look at him, obviously shocked by his reaction. Ron and Hermione exchanged a meaningful look.

 

Most of the Slytherins were too busy laughing with Pansy to notice, excluding a blonde girl and a stringy boy who were exchanging dark looks and watching Hagrid's retreating form.

 

“I think Hagrid ought to be sacked!” the blonde girl muttered.

 

“No! It was Malfoy’s fault!” Dean protested indignantly.

 

As worried as he was about Draco’s health, Harry couldn’t help but agree with Dean there. Hagrid had explicitly told them not to insult the Hippogriffs, after all. Draco should have listened properly!

 

“Do you think he’ll be alright?” Hermione asked nervously.

 

“I hope so,” Harry said, biting on his lip. Madam Pomfrey had healed far worse injuries of his, but that didn’t stop him from feeling concerned about Draco. There had been a whole lot of blood…

 

“Well, you’ll be able to see him soon, Harry,” Hermione reminded him. “You’re going to the Hospital Wing before dinner, aren’t you? Do you want to head up after him now?”

 

Harry came to a halt on the stone steps and hesitantly looked in the direction of the Hospital Wing. He did really want to check that Draco was alright, but the other boy was so angry with him, and Harry didn’t want to make things worse by hanging around…

 

And if Harry were to head up there now, Madam Pomfrey would probably insist on that stupid checkup, which Harry really didn’t want to participate in. That finally swayed Harry into making a decision. He turned back to Hermione and shook his head. “Nah, I’ll wait. Madam Pomfrey’s going to be busy patching him up, and most of the lessons are still going on. I’ll wait until later. Why don’t we head back up to the tower?”

 

They rejoined the crowd of their classmates, all of whom were still loudly discussing the incident and Draco’s degree of fault in it, and headed up to Gryffindor Tower. Hermione quickly became distracted by a surprisingly large pile of homework for their first day back, while Harry and Ron set up camp at the window, trying to look across the grounds for Hagrid. As they were so high up, it was impossible to make out specific figures, though.

 

“I hope Hagrid's alright,” Ron said eventually. “What a terrible thing to happen - during his first class, too! Trust Malfoy to screw everything up for him…”

 

Harry, who was still too worried about Draco and the wound on his arm to be properly angry at him for screwing up Hagrid’s lesson, fidgeted with his hands and said nothing. He was perfectly aware that what had just happened was entirely Draco’s fault, but that didn’t make him any less anxious.

 

Ron noticed his silence and frowned. “Mate, what is going on with you when it comes to Malfoy? You’re being properly weird.”

 

“He and I got into an argument before we left,” Harry admitted. “It’s just been on my mind.”

 

“I thought you said you were getting into arguments all the time at Snape’s, though?”

 

“I mean - we were, but this was different.”

 

“But why do you even care?” Ron asked, wrinkling his nose.

 

“I just do, Ron, okay?” Harry snapped. “It’s really bothering me!”

 

Ron held his hands up in a placating gesture. “Alright, alright! I just don’t think you should lose sleep over it, you know?”

 

Harry shook himself. “Right…”

 

“Er - want to talk about it?” Ron asked hesitantly.

 

“No,” Harry said shortly.

 

“Okay, then," Ron said with a shrug.  "I'll leave Malfoy to you."

 

Malfoy. Draco Malfoy, who was so alone, who had no friends, no parents, his entire home and all his possessions destroyed in a fire, who Harry had seen cry, who had come back to help Harry when those Muggles had caught him in the fight…

 

Harry couldn’t connect Malfoy with Draco in his mind, and it was making things horribly difficult. He’d still sort of expected things at Hogwarts to slip back into the way they usually were - Snape would go back to being a distant, horrid git, and Malfoy would take up the usual mantle of the nasty bully. Instead, Snape had remained weirdly and annoyingly involved, completely shocking Harry, and Draco had lost his place as the king of Slytherin. Everything was topsy-turvy.

 

“So, when are you heading up to see Madam Pomfrey?” Ron asked.

 

Harry made a face. “I’m not.”

 

“But I thought Snape said -”

 

“I don’t give a damn what Snape says,” Harry snapped. He was still furious with the man for a number of reasons and didn’t feel any particular urge to do as he said.

 

“Don’t bite my head off!” Ron said. “I was just asking…”

 

Harry shifted in place and glanced over at Ron rather guiltily. “Sorry. Long day.”

 

“I can imagine.” Ron clapped him on the back. “C’mon, let’s drag Hermione away from her homework and get some early dinner. Maybe Hagrid’ll be at the staff table.”

 

“Good idea,” Harry said, getting to his feet.

 

But much to their dismay, there was no sign of Hagrid in the Great Hall. For once, Harry wasn’t the only person who’d lost his appetite through the sheer weight of his misery - Ron and Hermione were also merely picking at their food, looking anxious.

 

“You don’t think they’ve sacked him, do you?” Hermione whispered, casting worried glances up at the staff table.

 

“They’d better not have,” Ron said, staring into his plate and looking thoroughly depressed.

 

“There was a light on in his hut, wasn’t there?” Harry realised. “Maybe we still have time to visit him before curfew?”

 

“Let’s go, then,” Hermione said, shoving her plate away.

 

The three of them rose from the Gryffindor benches and headed out of the Great Hall, heading in the direction of the grounds. Harry had barely made it past the Entrance Hall when a hand suddenly clamped down on his shoulder. Harry jumped violently as he was yanked around to face an incredibly angry-looking Snape. His lips were curled into a snarl.

 

“Tell me, Potter,” he said in a low, dangerous voice. “Do you truly think I have nothing better to do with my time than spend my evenings hunting down people who are suddenly incapable of keeping an appointment? Did I or did I not say that you were to report to the Hospital Wing as soon as your afternoon lessons concluded?”

 

Harry ground his back teeth and didn’t respond, furious that he’d been caught. Ron and Hermione were watching him rather nervously from the sidelines.

 

“A verbal answer, Potter,” Snape said, his grip tightening. “Do I also need Madam Pomfrey to check you over for a memory deficiency? Perhaps brain damage?”

 

“No,” Harry ground out.

 

“Then why were you not where you had been specifically instructed to go?”

 

“Because I didn’t want to go!” Harry hissed.

 

“Detention for disobeying me,” Snape growled. “My office, six o’clock, Thursday. Now, we are going to go to the Hospital Wing, where you should have been two hours ago!”

 

Harry cast a longing look at Ron and Hermione, who were edging towards the large double doors of the Entrance Hall, ready to see Hagrid. Both of them looked very uncomfortable. “But sir -”

 

“I don’t want to hear it!” Snape interrupted. He began to march Harry towards the staircases without giving him so much as a chance for him to wave goodbye to Ron and Hermione, which was rather annoying. If that wasn’t bad enough, Snape was in an utterly foul mood, and it had put him into Harry’s least favourite state: lecture mode.

 

“Has it occurred to you, Potter, that I actually have a job?” Snape said angrily, still half-dragging Harry along. “That I have duties to attend to, which are increased tenfold with the pressures of term beginning? Maybe, considering the fact that you share your Care of Magical Creatures lessons with the Slytherins and witnessed the incident earlier, you could have thought for a moment about someone other than yourself and realised that perhaps I would rather not have to take time away from Draco while he convalesces to hunt you down during this ridiculous tantrum you’ve decided to throw?”

 

“I never asked you to,” Harry spat.

 

“I don’t care!” Snape said, his voice growing rather loud. “When I tell you to do something, you do it! You don’t get to make these decisions!”

 

“I don’t need this stupid check-up anyway!” Harry shouted. “So why don’t you go and deal with Draco like you so clearly want to, and just stop bothering with me already if I’m such a nightmare to deal with?”

 

Snape stopped his march onwards for a moment, and some of the anger faded from his face. Instead, realisation flashed across his features. He’d extracted the meaning behind Harry’s words, he realised with a grimace.

 

“I am not going to stop bothering with you. I am in this for the long haul, as I believe I informed you.”

 

I wish you weren’t. Harry barely bit back the words because as angry as he was, they weren’t true. They walked in silence for a while, Harry fuming.

 

“Potter, why do you think I’m insisting on this meeting?” Snape asked abruptly.

 

“Because of the Dementors,” Harry muttered. “Because I’m the only one who fainted, and now everyone thinks I’m all delicate.”

 

Snape looked vaguely affronted at those words. “Have you ever known me to treat anyone as delicate, of all things? Merlin’s beard…”

 

Harry frowned. “Is it not because of the Dementors, then?”

 

“No,” Snape said with a scowl. “It’s a check-up, Potter. It’s to make sure you aren’t suffering from any underlying health problems no one knows about. Madam Pomfrey may try and further investigate why you fainted yesterday, but I actually had been planning to schedule this for several weeks.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“I don’t do these things for the fun of it,” Snape said acidly. “I have reasoning behind my actions, even if I do not always explain what that reasoning is, which is why you need to start actually doing as you’re told!”

 

“Er - right.”

 

Harry couldn’t quite bring himself to apologise, even though he was a bit sorry. He hoped Snape knew, though. He was always rather perceptive.

 

Still, even with the embarrassment of the Dementor incident removed from the appointment, Harry still felt on edge. Harry’s sparse memories of doctor visits in the Muggle world consisted of a couple of very tense trips to A&E for broken limbs, as well as the horrible memory of when he’d had an ear infection and had been held down and forced to take antibiotics by his aunt. That incident still made Harry’s stomach contract nastily upon recollection.

 

Even previous trips to Madam Pomfrey hadn’t exactly been pleasant. There had been the Quirrell incident, which had involved a nasty amount of bed rest and fussing, as well as the time he’d had to regrow all of the bones in his arm, which had been extremely painful. It had also resulted in Colin Creevey getting petrified trying to visit him. All in all, Harry would rather steer clear of all things medical. Since he had no choice about this particular trip, his heart was thudding rather uncomfortably.

 

Snape pushed the doors to the Hospital Wing open, still refusing to let go of Harry's shoulder until they were standing next to a bed. Harry was relieved to notice that the place was largely deserted, excluding one occupied bed. A blonde head was sticking out of the covers.

 

“Is he alright?” Harry whispered to Snape, concern for Draco overriding his general irritation with the man before him.

 

“He’ll be fine - he’s just sleeping,” Snape said. His lip curled into a sneer. “Hippogriffs for third-years! Of all the ridiculous, dangerous, and downright foolish endeavours…”

 

“It wasn’t Hagrid’s fault!” Harry said indignantly. “Everything would have been fine if Draco hadn’t insulted Buckbeak!”

 

“Hippogriffs are incredibly volatile creatures, Harry!” Snape hissed. “You shouldn’t have been anywhere near them at your age!”

 

“But he -”

 

“Ah, you’re both here!” Madam Pomfrey bustled out of her office cheerfully. “I could tell by the bickering alone…”

 

“I apologise for Potter’s shocking lack of punctuality,” Snape said. He glared at Harry, who scowled right back. “He will be punished for wasting your time, I assure you.”

 

“No worries. Sit on the bed, Potter,” Madam Pomfrey ordered. Harry sighed a little and perched on the side of the hospital bed, swinging his legs back and forth.

 

“I’ll just be doing some diagnostic spells,” Madam Pomfrey said, getting out her wand and pointing it at Harry. “Hold your breath for a moment, dear…”

 

Harry obeyed, and felt the icy trickle of a Diagnostic Charm settle over his skin. A piece of parchment appeared in the air next to Madam Pomfrey, which she and Snape began to read. Harry fidgeted, feeling uncomfortable about being stuck out of the loop.

 

Madam Pomfrey clucked her tongue. “He’s rather underweight.”

 

“We’ve been working on it,” Snape said, pulling a piece of parchment out of the pocket of his robes. “This is the diagnostic scan I did two and a half weeks ago.”

 

Madam Pomfrey pursed her lips. “Better, but I’d like a bit more progress than this. Ensure you eat properly at meals, Potter, understood?”

 

“Oh. Um, okay.”

 

“If that doesn’t work, we may need to incorporate some sort of nutritional supplement,” Madam Pomfrey said to Snape. “This is rather concerning.”

 

He nodded. “I’ll happily brew it.”

 

“And I want to keep monitoring this,” Madam Pomfrey announced. “I want to check in with you fortnightly for the foreseeable future until this is sorted.”

 

Harry groaned and slumped backwards. Constant Hospital Wing visits? This was exactly the sort of thing he’d been worried about!

 

Snape shot him a sharp look. “You are on very thin ice, Harry. Behave yourself or you will find your evenings being increasingly overtaken by detentions!”

 

Harry bit down hard on the inside of his cheek and glowered at the floor.

 

Madam Pomfrey ignored this whole exchange. She was busy conjuring up a series of floating letters a certain distance away from Harry. “Read those aloud for me, Potter?”

 

Harry obeyed, although he found himself struggling with the last couple of lines. Even with his glasses, he’d never been the best at seeing things that were particularly far away from him.

 

Madam Pomfrey frowned at him. “When was the last time you had your prescription checked?”

 

“Um…” Harry picked at a loose thread on his sleeve and didn’t meet either Madam Pomfrey or Snape’s eyes. After all, his relatives wouldn’t have wasted their valuable time on taking Harry to an optician…

 

“Well, you’re in sore need of updated lenses,” Madam Pomfrey said, shaking her head. “Honestly, it’s a miracle you can even see the blackboard with the state of those glasses!”

 

Harry coughed awkwardly. As a matter of fact, when it came to his teachers with particularly tiny handwriting like Snape or McGonagall, Harry couldn’t make out half of the instructions on the blackboard. He didn’t verbalise this, but judging by Snape’s flaring nostrils and annoyed expression, he’d guessed.

 

“I’ll order new ones immediately,” Snape said. “While they’re prepared, ensure you sit at the front of your classes.”

 

Harry nodded, even though he absolutely was not going to be doing that.

 

Madam Pomfrey cast some other spell that made Harry’s eyes go strangely blurry, and handed a new piece of parchment to Snape. While he pocketed it, she turned back to Harry. “Are there any other health concerns that either of you wish to mention?”

 

“Nope, I’m fine,” Harry said, sensing an end to the appointment and making to get up.

 

“Not so fast,” Snape said, holding out an arm and barring Harry from jumping down off the bed. “There are a few things I’ve been waiting to discuss. Harry has had multiple panic attacks of varying degrees of severity over the last few weeks.”

 

Harry closed his eyes and consciously took a deep breath. Not because of a panic attack - because if he didn’t calm the surging rage, he’d surely hop to his feet and punch Snape right in his beaky nose. What was he playing at?!

 

Madam Pomfrey tutted. “How many?”

 

“I’ve witnessed about three, but I’m certain there are more he hasn’t mentioned.” Someone prodded Harry’s arm, and his eyes shot open. Snape cocked his head to one side. “Care to inform us?”

 

“No,” he growled.

 

Snape seemed to have anticipated that answer; he carried on without missing a beat. “I’m dealing with them privately, but I thought it was best to alert you that there’s a history in case he’s sent up here during lessons.”

 

“Of course, of course…”

 

Harry was beginning to wish he could sink into the floor at this point. Did Snape really think he was about to start hyperventilating in lessons at random? It was ridiculous!

 

“Did you have one yesterday when you saw the Dementor, dear?” Madam Pomfrey asked, face horribly sympathetic. “Is that why you fainted?”

 

“No,” Harry ground out, struggling to manage his annoyance. “I don’t even know what did happen, I just blacked out.”

 

“Because of what you heard or saw?” Snape asked, looking a little alarmed.

 

“I didn’t hear or see anything!” Harry said angrily. “It just floated in, and I got all cold, and suddenly I heard screaming and then I woke up on the floor. That was it.”

 

“Screaming?” Madam Pomfrey queried, eyeing him with considerable concern.

 

“Yeah. But that was it. No panic stuff.”

 

“If you have any more panic attacks, feel free to come here,” Madam Pomfrey said briskly. Harry obviously wasn’t going to do this in a million years, and hoped the haughty look of derision on his face conveyed that. “Now, Severus, since you’ve got authority over Potter now, do you want him to have the dragonpox vaccine?”

 

Snape looked between Harry and Madam Pomfrey with growing alarm. “He’s not had it?”

 

“His relatives never signed the permission forms when I sent them out last September,” Madam Pomfrey explained. “At the time, I simply presumed his relatives were just opposed to such things - some parents are, as you know…”

 

Snape’s face was the picture of annoyance for a few moments until he noticeably Occluded it away. “Yes. He’ll be having that. Are there any others he’s missed?”

 

Madam Pomfrey shook her head. “His records indicate he received most of the ones we have to update the Muggleborns on as a baby.”

 

“Good,” Snape said.

 

That was odd to think about. Harry supposed he had spent a year with parents who actually cared about his medical needs before Lily and James Potter had died, even if he couldn’t remember it. His chest clenched a little at the thought. How different could Harry’s life potentially have been?

 

“Shall we get it over with now?” Snape asked.

 

“I’ll fetch what I need.”

 

As Madam Pomfrey headed towards her office, Harry turned to Snape and frowned. “Um… what’s going on? What’s dragonpox?“

 

"Dragonpox is a nasty wizarding disease which we vaccinate students against at the start of second year,” Snape explained.

 

“Oh, yeah. I kind of remember that happening.”

 

Seamus and Dean had spent the entire day punching everyone in their aching upper arms, to the general outrage of most of the second years. Harry hadn’t paid much attention, since he’d been too busy dreading an upcoming detention with Lockhart for the Ford Anglia incident.

 

“Wait, so it’s like an injection?” he asked.

 

“Yes.” Snape’s eyebrows furrowed. “Are you afraid of needles?”

 

“What? No!” Harry said indignantly. “I’m not a baby!”

 

“It was a simple question. There's no need to get so offended!” Snape drawled, folding his arms.

 

“I’m not scared, I just didn’t know wizards did vaccines like that,” Harry said. “I thought you drank most Potions.”

 

Snape stared at Harry for several moments, wearing what he’d come to term as Snape’s ‘you complete dunderhead’ look. “That is simply not the case. Most potions are taken orally, but they can also be received intravenously, topically, or even rectally.”

 

“What? Eugh!”

 

Snape’s eyebrows rose. “You asked…”

 

Moments later, Madam Pomfrey returned from the office, holding a small box. She clicked it open, revealing a needle, vial and a small container full of a black liquid.

 

“Robe off,” she ordered. Harry shed his outer robe, leaving him in his uniform shirt, which Madam Pomfrey rolled up past his shoulder. “Sharp scratch in just a moment…”

 

Harry barely winced as the needle slid in and out of his arm. “And done. You’ll need to sit here for observation for half an hour, Potter.”

 

“Why?” he complained. Harry had really been hoping to sneak off to see Hagrid after this!

 

“Standard protocol for Muggleborn or Muggle-raised students,” she explained. “You’re at a higher risk of unknown allergies, which are far easier to treat if you’re in a medical facility, not Gryffindor Tower.”

 

As annoyed as he was, Harry supposed that did make sense… it didn’t mean he had to be happy about it, though.

 

“I’ll keep an eye on him,” Snape said.

 

Harry grimaced. “You don’t have to -”

 

“I’m already sitting with Draco. I have no reason not to stay with you, given that you’re actually conscious and capable of conversation - and especially since you have an irritating propensity to wander off or otherwise end up in places that you aren’t supposed to be in.” Snape turned to Madam Pomfrey. “Will that be all?”

 

“Yes. I’ll see you in two weeks, Potter,” she said briskly.

 

“Yes, you will,” Snape said pointedly. “Thank you for your time, Poppy.”

 

Harry, for his part, did not thank Madam Pomfrey, because he was still rather angry about getting stuck here in the first place. He rolled his shoulder, arm already beginning to ache.

 

“Do I have to get any more of those?” he asked, wrinkling his nose.

 

“Fourth year, but you drink it,” Snape explained. “The dragonpox one is too toxic to be ingested.”

 

Harry thought that if it was toxic to drink then they shouldn’t be injecting it into him, either, but he supposed there was some complicated Potions answer that Snape would sneer at him for not knowing, so he didn’t mention that.

 

Did dragonpox turn you into a dragon? Harry thought that would be pretty cool, but he doubted that was what it actually was. When Dudley had gotten chickenpox when they were eight, Harry had been excited for his cousin to turn into an actual chicken, but he’d just been covered head to foot in nasty red blisters. Knowing magic, though, Harry wasn’t going to rule out the possibility of turning humans into dragons…

 

Harry gradually realised that Snape was watching him with the piercing look that meant he was wondering something.

 

“Yeah?” he prompted.

 

“You can tell me what you heard with the Dementors privately, if you’d like,” Snape said in a low voice. “If you didn’t want to mention it in front of outside parties…”

 

“I really can’t remember,” Harry said for what felt like the hundredth time. “I’m not lying.”

 

Snape frowned. Harry assumed that he was using his irritating ability to distinguish lies from truth and had realised that Harry was actually being honest.

 

“Strange,” he said eventually.

 

Harry simply shrugged and kept swinging his legs. This half an hour was going to drag…

 

“How was your day?” Snape asked eventually.

 

Harry snapped his head around. “Huh?”

 

“A simple question, and one I believe you have the capacity to answer.” Snape rolled his eyes.

 

“Oh. It was… eh.”

 

Harry had only just bitten back the instinctive answer of ‘shit’, but Snape still didn’t seem particularly impressed with his brief response. “Why? What happened?”

 

Harry gestured in the direction of Draco. “Well… that.”

 

“Ah.”

 

“And half of my Divination class are convinced I’m gonna drop dead at any minute,” Harry added, thinking back to Professor Trelawney’s ominous predictions about his tea leaves. “I’ve got the Grim, apparently.”

 

Snape’s nostrils flared, and his lips thinned. “Of course you’re the annual student she picks with a price on your head. Of course. Pay no mind to that prediction. As a matter of fact, I am fairly certain that anybody who Sybill predicts an untimely death for goes on to live an usually long life. I’ll have to suffer your irritating habits a while longer, unfortunately.”

 

Harry smiled, despite himself. “That's pretty much what Professor McGonagall said.”

 

“A wise woman.”

 

“She turned into a cat today,” Harry added. “That was cool. How do you learn how to do that?”

 

Snape’s face shifted in an instant from mild interest to immediate anger.

 

“You are not becoming an Animagus!” he hissed. “If I hear so much as an inkling that you’ve tried that -”

 

“Okay, okay!” Harry held his hands up. “I wasn’t going to, jeez!”

 

“You’ll be scrubbing cauldrons until you graduate if you even think about trying it,” Snape said, jabbing a finger at Harry.

 

“Okay, fine.”

 

“And tell Miss Granger that the same applies to her,” Snape added after a moment.

 

Harry frowned. “Er… okay?”

 

“Don’t give me that look,” Snape said sharply. “I know she was up to something last year when she was in here with a tail and fur, and if that wasn’t a botched Animagus transformation I don’t know what is!”

 

“You know about that?” Harry asked faintly, his mouth growing dry. Images of fireworks in Goyle’s cauldron, stolen boomslang skin and a trip into the Slytherin common room began flashing through his mind. Harry intentionally stared at the floor to hide his guilty face, a move that only seemed to confirm Snape’s suspicions that he was in on it.

 

“Tell me what you know!” he ordered.

 

“I - I don’t know anything,” Harry said evasively. “Um… Hermione likes to research stuff. Yeah. I don’t pay much attention. Most of it goes over my head, anyway.”

 

Snape regarded him for several moments. “You are an absolutely terrible liar.”

 

Harry coughed awkwardly and ducked his head.

 

“I’ll get it out of you someday,” Snape muttered.

 

Dream on, Harry thought. He was fairly certain Snape would murder him if he found out he’d illegally brewed Polyjuice in a girls lavatory to spy on Draco, so that was never going to come out. Good God, the lecturing it would entail! Harry shivered at the mere prospect…

 

“How much longer?” he asked, eager to get away from this interrogation.

 

“Twenty minutes.”

 

Harry groaned loudly.

 

“Right,” Snape said, getting to his feet and standing in front of Harry. “You are going to properly explain what your issue is immediately. Why are you still in such a state over a check-up?”

 

“I’m not in a state -”

 

“I don’t understand why you would go out of your way to avoid this in the manner that you have unless there’s some type of underlying problem,” Snape continued, his gaze piercing. “I am aware that nobody enjoys spending time in the infirmary, but this is frankly excessive. What’s your issue?”

 

Harry hesitated for a moment, then sighed. “Bad associations.”

 

Snape frowned. “I thought you didn’t have extensive contact with medical professionals as a child.”

 

“I didn’t, but when I was taken…”

 

Nails digging into his cheek. Sickly medicine coating the back of his throat.

 

“Bad memories,” he said simply.

 

“I see.” Snape’s lips tugged downward slightly. “I would have handled this with a bit more understanding if I’d known.”

 

“Eh, I probably should have mentioned it,” Harry admitted reluctantly.

 

“I will keep this in mind when this is repeated in two weeks' time.”

 

Harry bit down on his cheek again to suppress a groan.

 

“You have to rewrite bad associations at some point,” Snape said briskly. “The only way is forward.”

 

“I guess,” Harry muttered, staring at the floor again.

 

He and Snape both fell into a relatively peaceful silence, until Harry eventually remembered why he’d been so angry in the first place. He’d been distracted for a minute by Snape’s questions, but his annoyance over the omission towards Black quickly came flooding back. Harry absolutely couldn’t stand when people kept information from him, something which Snape decided to do far too frequently for Harry’s liking. Not mentioning his friendship with Lily - a complicated matter, Harry could admit, but still - coupled with his silence about Legilimising Draco? He was utterly determined to keep secrets, and it was driving Harry up the wall!

 

He gritted his teeth and glowered at the flagstones. Luckily for him, Snape didn’t notice. He got to his feet and swept over to where Draco was sleeping. He sat by the boy’s side, and reached out to brush away some hair that had flopped over his eyes.

 

Harry normally would have reflected upon the oddness of this tender gesture on a man like Snape, but his musings were interrupted by a strange, strangled feeling in the back of Harry’s throat. He was abruptly filled with bitterness, mind flooded with a dozen memories of Aunt Petunia hugging Dudley, reading him stories, talking to him, tucking him in at night. Even Uncle Vernon, who was not particularly affectionate by any means, frequently clapped Dudley on the back, or smiled at him past his bristly moustache and said how proud he was of his son.

 

They never, ever did that with Harry.

 

Jealousy was a green-eyed monster, they said, and Harry thought that phrase was particularly fitting when it came to him. He had spent so much of his childhood feeling terribly envious of Dudley; not just the physical, like his toys and two bedrooms, but the emotional, like the relationship he had with his parents. The relationship Harry would never have with any sort of parental figure…

 

Why were these feelings rearing their ugly head now? He had no reason to be jealous of Draco, if that was what this even was. Not when it came to Snape. Harry was perfectly aware that Snape was only involved in this arrangement out of necessity; because there was no one else who could take care of Harry. While they had overcome the old hatred and had built a new, decent rapport, that didn’t automatically mean there would be any sort of affection between them or anything. He was still Harry Potter, after all. Harry was aware of that. He didn’t expect any extras from Snape, especially since Harry had long ago resigned himself to never receiving the kind of emotional support his cousin got…

 

Things were different with Draco. Of course they were. He and Snape had a far longer and less fraught history. They were closer, Snape actually wanted Draco around, and they had more in common, with Potions, and being Slytherins… He would therefore enjoy spending time with Draco a lot more. It made sense. Harry wasn’t jealous. He ought to be used to being the unwanted addition onto a family by now.

 

Harry looked away from them, his chest aching. He gave Snape a series of one word answers until he finally stopped bothering him, and released Harry at the end of the observation period.

 

“Remember to eat well,” Snape said. “I’ll be keeping an eye on you at mealtimes.”

 

Harry nodded, and didn’t meet his eyes. He felt oddly empty and numb.

 

“And don’t forget about your detention. I do not want a repeat of today’s events on Thursday, do you understand?”

 

Harry mechanically moved his head up and down and made to leave.

 

Snape cleared his throat. “A verbal answer, please?”

 

“Yes, sir,” Harry mumbled before making a beeline for the Hospital Wing doors.

 

That was all that things ever were with him and Snape. Harry being in trouble for something. Especially now they were back at Hogwarts; who cared what Snape had said the other day? He was obviously busy, too busy for Harry. No more chess, just him giving out endless detentions and being angry. None of the things he had with Draco.

 

He pressed his lips together, ignoring the burning behind his eyes.

To be continued...
A Pedagogical Disagreement by aspionage

Harry remained rather melancholy over the course of the next few days. He went about everything in a sort of glum haze, not really finding anything too interesting, and simply picked at his food at most meals. Nothing seemed particularly fun anymore, not even the first Quidditch practice of the season, and he just couldn’t work out why.

 

Ron and Hermione noticed how down Harry was, but they seemed to just assume it was a symptom of the situation with Hagrid. Harry had met back up with them in the common room after his evening in the Hospital Wing, where they’d informed him that Hagrid had been practically inconsolable in his hut, worried about the situation with Draco and his job. Harry had given them a brief outline of his time in the Hospital Wing, and had carefully deflected any further questioning about Snape. Ron had been angry and sympathetic on Harry’s behalf about the detention, while Hermione had a slightly reproachful look in her eyes that let Harry know she thought he deserved it. None of it penetrated the fog surrounding him.

 

Things only worsened on Thursday morning as he headed down into the dungeons for their first Potions lesson of the year. Harry went to take his usual seat in the back of the dungeons, only to be stopped by Snape blocking his way, eyes narrowed.

 

“Not so fast, Potter,” he said softly. “Front.”

 

Harry grimaced - he’d forgotten Snape knew he couldn’t see the blackboard now. He reluctantly shuffled to the front of the classroom. Ron, in a show of loyalty that Harry deeply appreciated, followed along with a commiserating grimace. Hermione, who usually sat there anyway, beamed at the both of them.

 

As the Potions lesson continued, Harry found he still couldn’t concentrate. Like he’d promised, Snape wasn’t being outwardly horrible to Harry whenever he could seize the opportunity as he’d done in previous years, but that wasn’t helping him focus. Harry found Potions horribly tricky, and the atmosphere of the classroom tended to unnerve him at the best of times. Furthermore, while Snape had promised to leave Harry alone, that promise clearly did not extend to his classmates. Snape maintained his usual icy persona as he circulated the classroom and glared at the Gryffindors while they dropped things into their cauldrons, frequently barking angry reprimands.

 

“Three caterpillars, Finnigan! Five points from Gryffindor for your inability to follow directions!”

 

“No whispering, Patil. Five points from Gryffindor for disrupting the class.”

 

“Orange, Longbottom,” Snape hissed, gesturing to Neville’s cauldron, which was supposed to be a bright acid green. “Orange! Tell me, boy, does anything penetrate that thick skull of yours? Didn’t you hear me say, quite clearly, that only one rat spleen was needed? Didn’t I state plainly that a dash of leech juice would suffice? What do I have to do to make you understand, Longbottom?”

 

Neville was staring at the floor, obviously on the verge of tears.

 

“Please, sir,” Hermione interjected quickly, “please, I could help Neville put it right -”

 

“I don’t remember asking you to show off, Miss Granger,” Snape hissed, and Hermione flushed a deep pink. “Longbottom, at the end of this lesson we will feed a few drops of this potion to your toad and see what happens. Perhaps that will encourage you to do it properly.”

 

Neville was shaking by the time Snape moved away. He turned to Hermione and whispered, “Please, help me!”

 

Harry glared down at his chopping board and accidentally decapitated a caterpillar. He was also shaking, but it was with anger, the first emotion to burst through the numb cloud he’d been continuing in for the past few days. After the events of the summer, where Snape had proven that he was capable of being a far more considerate and calm person, his usual callousness when it came to Neville seemed even more heartless. In fact, Harry had started to forget how horrible Snape had it in him to be. Seeing him revert to the behaviour of before had him seething. It was only a sharp elbow to the ribs and a hissed admonishment from Ron to be careful that stopped Harry from exploding right then and there, but it was a close thing.

 

Surprisingly enough, the only part of Potions that went against the status quo was Draco’s behaviour. He usually would have taken vindictive pleasure in Neville’s misery, but he didn’t pay the other boy any attention for once. He was too busy staring longingly at the other Slytherins from his desk at the far edge of the classroom, where Harry couldn’t help but note that nobody had joined him at. He was pointedly avoiding looking in Harry’s direction, though.

 

The lesson quickly drew to a close, and Snape gathered the whole class around Neville’s cauldron. He glowered at the shaking boy.

 

“Everyone, watch what happens to Longbottom’s toad,” he said, spooning up some of Neville’s potion, which was finally the correct colour. “If he has managed to produce a Shrinking Solution, it will shrink to a tadpole. If, as I don’t doubt, he has done it wrong, his toad is likely to be poisoned.”

 

To Harry’s immense relief, there was a small pop, and a wiggling tadpole appeared on Snape’s palm. The Gryffindors burst into applause, but he didn’t seem particularly impressed as he returned Trevor to his correct size.

 

“Five points from Gryffindor,” Snape said in a toneless voice. He folded his arms and shot a sharp look at Hermione. “I told you not to help him, Miss Granger. Class dismissed.”

 

“Points off for a perfectly good potion?” Harry hissed, his anger finally boiling over. “What is wrong with you?”

 

There were noticeable gasps at Harry’s words from both the Slytherins and the Gryffindors. Harry, who had been so angry just moments before, felt rather like the bottom of his stomach had just dropped out. He remained frozen with anticipation along with the rest of the class as Snape walked up to him very slowly. He only stopped when he was inches from Harry, looming over him, eyes narrowed and jaw tense.

 

“Detention, and twenty points from Gryffindor.” His voice was barely louder than a whisper, but perfectly audible in the silent classroom. Snape’s head snapped around to glare at the rest of the students. “Did you not hear me? Dismissed!”

 

There was practically a scrimmage at the door to try and get out of the classroom as quickly as possible. Harry pressed his way out into the corridor to find Ron staring at him, mouth agape.

 

“Mate…” he said in an awed voice. “I don’t know what it was like living with him, but you’ve grown some massive balls.”

 

“Not so loud,” Harry muttered. The rest of the class were still gathered around, occasionally glancing at him and whispering behind their hands about the incident that had just unfolded. Harry really didn’t want them to overhear about his living arrangements. “Anyway, he was being unfair. I got angry. Simple as.”

 

“We all get angry at Snape, but you never explode like that!” Ron said. “You’re being so weird with him, like when you didn’t go to the Hospital Wing after he told you to the other day!”

 

“And you got into that argument with him in Professor McGonagall’s office on the first night,” Hermione chimed in, appearing from behind them while tucking something into the neck of her robes. “What’s going on with you two, Harry?”

 

“Yeah, why hasn’t he killed you yet?” Ron asked.

 

“He’s still got time to do that,” Harry said with a sigh. “He’s going to make me regret this, trust me…”

 

Hermione gave him an anxious look. “Oh, I do wish you’d be careful, Harry. You really shouldn’t make him angry.”

 

“And he shouldn’t treat people the way he does!” Harry said irritably. “He’s horrid to Neville, and I don’t like it.”

 

Hermione and Ron exchanged befuddled looks but otherwise didn’t respond as they entered the Great Hall for lunch.

 

Harry’s bad mood continued for the rest of the day, only slightly relenting during their Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson. Professor Lupin really was quite a brilliant teacher, and the battle against the boggart was really quite enjoyable, particularly when Neville changed Snape’s usual black robes into the lacy dress and vulture hat of his fierce grandmother. Seeing him in such an outfit was rather ridiculous.

 

Still, something about the whole situation really didn’t sit right with Harry. Even though Neville was so scared of such a large range of things, his greatest fear was Snape? That was awful! It wasn’t like Neville was just scared for no reason, either - after the incident earlier, he had every right to be deathly afraid of Snape…

 

But that didn’t make Harry feel any better about the situation. In fact, the more he thought about it, the more bitterly angry he felt. He’d really come to respect Snape, so seeing the way he treated people like Neville was a real kick in the teeth.

 

If that wasn’t all bad enough, Professor Lupin stepped in front of Harry before he could take on the boggart himself. That only worsened Harry’s foul mood. Why had he chosen to do that? Was it because of the train, and the incident with the Dementor? Did Professor Lupin think Harry was too weak to handle it or something?

 

Harry once again found himself picking at his dinner moodily as everyone laughed and chattered about the lesson. He was once again put in the uncomfortable position of feeling simultaneously outraged and miserable, which Harry hadn’t known was possible. Sometimes, Harry worried he might actually explode from all of the feelings swirling around inside of him like a whirlwind…

 

Far quicker than he would have liked, Harry found himself trudging down to the dungeons for his detention at six. Harry took a deep breath and raised his fist to knock on the door, but it swung open before his hand could land. Snape stared down at him, and gestured to the office interior. “In.”

 

Harry shuffled inside, trying very hard not to look at the jars of floating things on Snape’s shelves. A rickety desk that reminded Harry of the one in the laboratory at Spinner’s End had been set up on the side of the room. Snape pointed at it without saying a word, and Harry sat down. Parchment and a quill appeared before him.

 

“I will not disrespect or undermine the authority of my professors during lessons, and I will follow instructions and arrive promptly to appointments that are allotted to me by Hogwarts staff. Write it until I tell you to stop.”

 

Harry sighed and got started. The office was silent, save for the sound of Harry’s quill scratching alongside Snape’s. Harry assumed Snape was verbally tearing some first-year’s essay to shreds at his desk while Harry wrote his lines. Snape probably took pleasure in making little Hufflepuffs cry, Harry thought viciously. He was like a… a tear vampire. He lived by drinking the tears of crying children or something, because he was so evil. Harry ground his teeth and started writing his lines a bit more violently than necessary, almost ripping the parchment beneath the nib of the quill.

 

Unfortunately for Harry, the silent detention he’d been relieved to find himself in did not continue in that manner for much longer. He should have known better than to think he could get away with this all without a quintessential Snape lecture. About an hour in, Snape cleared his throat, but Harry didn’t look up from his desk. He was too angry to make eye contact without glaring, which would probably just get him in more trouble…

 

“Harry.”

 

That jolted him for a moment. He’d forgotten about the ‘first names in private’ rule, and it made him feel like he was back at Spinner’s End again. Still, Harry refused to meet Snape’s gaze.

 

“I am speaking to you,” Snape said in a quiet, dangerous voice. “I will keep you here until you remember your manners, so if you want to have any of your evening to yourself I’d advise you to be respectful.”

 

Harry at last dragged his head away from the lines, hoping his narrowed eyes thoroughly conveyed his anger. Snape levelly met his gaze, expression blank.

 

“I am aware that you know how to behave, Harry,” he said in a strangely placid voice. “So could you possibly explain to me why you no longer find yourself able to? What on earth has gotten into you this week? Two detentions?”

 

Harry clenched his hands into fists and didn’t reply.

 

“That number can easily increase if you maintain this sullen silence,” Snape said coolly.

 

“I don’t know how to answer because I don’t know what you want from me!” Harry said through gritted teeth. He prayed his anger would calm before it manifested into accidental magic, because Snape’s office seemed to be composed of entirely breakable objects.

 

“I am not asking a lot!” Snape said, his voice rising. “I am simply asking you to be respectful! Is that honestly so difficult?”

 

“Yes, actually!” Harry said loudly “Because I don’t think you deserve all that much respect!”

 

Snape’s eyes flashed. He got to his feet and leaned his hands on his desk. “I beg your pardon?”

 

Well, in for a penny in for a pound, Harry supposed. He folded his arms and glared up at Snape. “Yeah, actually, because you don’t seem to be able to respect anyone in Potions apart from the stupid Slytherins! You’re absolutely horrid to Neville, you know that?”

 

“Longbottom is a scatterbrained child with no capacity for the delicacy and attentiveness required in Potions,” Snape growled. “He doesn’t even bother to try!”

 

“He does!” Harry shouted. “I see him trying! He reads up on Potions all the time in the common room, did you know that? But he completely goes to pieces in your lessons because he’s terrified of you, since you spend the whole class bullying him!”

 

“I don’t know what has gotten into you lately, but questioning my teaching methods is not and has never been acceptable behaviour!” Snape shouted back. “Detention.”

 

Harry bit down on his cheek so hard he drew blood and glowered at Snape. His heart was pounding rapidly in his ears, and his chest was heaving. He heard a cracking noise, and saw Snape’s dark eyes dart to something behind his shoulder. Harry twisted his neck and saw that one of Snape’s jars had cracked, and green liquid  was seeping through the break, creating a puddle on the floor. A jet of white light hit the glass, vanishing it and the leaking liquid. Harry turned back around to find that Snape had soundlessly moved from his desk to Harry’s, and jumped. A Calming Draught was held out to him.

 

“I -”

 

“Don’t,” Snape growled, and the fury in his voice was what made Harry reluctantly swallow the potion. It washed over his irritation like sticky treacle, dampening it down to less dramatic, loud levels. It didn’t vanish entirely like it occasionally did under the influence of the potion, a testament to how righteously outraged Harry was. Still, without the blinders of fury on, Harry could fully realise how stupid that little rant had been. He cringed.

 

Snape stared at him silently for almost a full minute, the scowl on his face gradually loosening into the blankness of Occlumency.

 

“When I was at Hogwarts,” Snape said, “three people died in Potions. That was in my time there alone - the death toll overall is far higher. It was considered a side effect of the class; a risk that had to be accepted. Brewing is an extraordinarily dangerous art, after all.”

 

He took a step closer to Harry. “I have been teaching Potions for twelve years now, and I have never had a student die, because I teach my classes with the sternness and due care and attention that such a dangerous subject necessitates. If I was not strict in my lessons, students would be far more likely to misbehave and throw together horrific amalgamations of volatile ingredients that could kill an entire classroom of students in an instant. Therefore, risks to the safety of themselves and others such as Longbottom need to be browbeaten into understanding how dangerous what they’re doing is! Longbottom, and the rest of the dunderheads I teach, must be compelled to exhibit caution under threat of my ire because otherwise they could lose their lives!”

 

Snape’s nostrils were flaring. “That is why I am very angry with you, Harry. I require there to be a certain level of respect between myself and my students, and you publicly going against me and shouting at me erodes that. I understand your temper and the issues in your personal life, as we have discussed them at length, and there is a certain amount of your bad attitude that I am willing to tolerate in private in light of that. When you bring things into the public sphere, and into my classroom, that crosses the boundary into blatant disrespect, and that I will never tolerate. Do you understand me?”

 

“Yes, sir,” Harry said quietly, feeling slightly ashamed. He knew he had a right to be angry with Snape… but maybe he could have had a conversation about the Neville stuff that wasn’t in front of everyone. Maybe Snape would have listened more that way.

 

“You can leave,” he said, vanishing the parchment sitting in front of Harry. “I’ll see you tomorrow, same time, but in my classroom.”

 

Harry nodded and pulled his bag from the floor. He headed over to the door but stopped just short of the handle. He didn’t know if he was being stupidly stubborn and needed the last word or if this was something he really ought to get out in the open, but either way, the words were tumbling out before he could stop them.

 

“So you say that you have to be strict so people don’t blow a limb off,” Harry said. He paused for a moment, expecting Snape to start having a go at him, but the man remained silent. Expectant, even. “Okay, then. If you think that's the only thing that would work, fine. But we’re on the other side of it, and that’s not how it’s coming across for Neville. He’s so scared of you and of messing up in your lessons that he can’t even concentrate, and that’s causing him to make more mistakes! Shouting at him is just making it worse. He can’t learn like that.”

 

Snape’s lips thinned. “I do not appreciate you taking it upon yourself to critique my teaching methods, considering you are a thirteen year old boy with no experience managing a classroom. Just go, Harry.”

 

He began to walk out of the office, despair and frustration washing through him. Harry simply shook his head at Snape. “We had Defence Against the Dark Arts today. We did boggarts, and do you know what Neville’s was? You. And Neville’s scared of an awful lot of things, but out of all that, you're still what he's most afraid of! I get that you're a strict teacher, but personally I think that when you start being your students' worst fears, you've crossed a line somewhere, sir."

 

Harry practically spat the honorific before hurrying from the classroom. Snape was clearly making an effort to hide his emotions, but Harry was becoming annoyingly acquainted with the subtleties of the man's body language. There was a slight slump to his shoulders Harry registered that suggested Snape was somewhat abashed.

 

He didn't come after Harry to yell at him, thankfully. He realised glumly upon further reflection that Snape was probably saving it up for tomorrow.

 


 

One day later, a reluctant Harry dragged himself away from the usual common room festivities of a Friday evening and made his way down to Snape's classroom. Once again, in typical Snape fashion, the door swung open before Harry could touch it. Snape was sitting behind his usual desk, fingers laced together in front of him.

 

Harry entered the classroom, but couldn't spot any specific unpleasant task that had been left out for him to attend to at a workstation. Lost for where to go, he simply stood in front of the main desk. He and Snape stared at each other for several long moments, neither of them speaking. Harry broke first.

 

"What do you want me to do?"

 

Snape flicked his wrist, and a chair flew over to the front of the desk. "Sit."

 

Harry did so, not taking his eyes off Snape the entire time. He was very obviously Occluding, so Harry’s hackles automatically rose. He once again tried to wait in silence until Snape explained what he wanted, but the man continued to stare at him, gaze piercing, until Harry could bear the quiet no longer.

 

“This is a detention, so what am I doing?” Harry just wanted to get it all over with so he could go back to Gryffindor Tower and forget all this.

 

Snape began to tap a finger against his desk. “We are going to talk.”

 

“Doesn’t seem very detention-y,” Harry muttered, glaring at his shoes. He’d almost prefer to scrub cauldrons than get lectured for hours on end…

 

“Well, it’s what we’re doing.” Snape watched him, and Harry scowled. Eventually, Snape sighed. “I don’t like this.”

 

Harry pushed away the pang of hurt. “Yeah, I’m fully aware you don’t like me -”

 

“Not you!” he snapped. “I meant this new dynamic that has sprung up between us, you ridiculous boy.”

 

“Oh.” Harry coughed awkwardly.

 

“Something’s changed,” Snape announced. “You’ve been angry at me all week. Why?”

 

“Because Neville’s -”

 

“This predates the incident with Longbottom,” Snape interrupted, holding up a hand. “You’ve been upset about something since the first day back, and I know it has something to do with me.”

 

“Not everything is about you,” Harry muttered.

 

“This is. I can tell.” Snape and his infuriating ability to read Harry was really not wanted here. “Tell me what your issue is.”

 

“No.”

 

“This is your detention, so I have the authority to hold you here until you complete your punishment. In this current case, your punishment is talking to me. So talk.”

 

“Okay, fine!” Harry said roughly. “I am annoyed with you. I don’t like when you keep stuff from me, and you keep doing it!”

 

Snape’s brows knitted together. “What have I kept from you?”

 

“Oh, I don’t know, the fact that Sirius Black is after me?” Harry spat, crossing his arms and glowering at Snape. He looked absolutely nonplussed.

 

“I believe I spent a month trying to convince you that Black was after you, as a matter of fact. While you spent the entire time implying I was a paranoiac.”

 

“But you didn’t tell me all the information!” Harry said loudly. “You didn’t tell me about how he was sitting in Azkaban and muttering ‘he’s at Hogwarts’, did you?!”

 

Snape’s face grew rather weary. “The Weasleys told you.”

 

“I overheard,” Harry muttered. “And before you start having a go at me again, no, I wasn’t eavesdropping. They were arguing, it was pretty hard not to overhear.”

 

Harry made the wise choice not to mention the fact he’d remained situated at the parlour door when he’d realised they were discussing him. Snape was watching him closely again. He folded his arms. “I told you the information you required to keep yourself safe.”

 

“But it was about me!” he said crossly. “I deserved to know!”

 

“To what end?” Snape asked, exhaling loudly. “I told you Black could possibly be targeting you. I did not mention that he was specifically doing it because I thought that knowing the intimate details surrounding an escaped mass-murderer who is out for your blood could be very distressing!”

 

“I still should have been told!” Harry said indignantly. “What if I needed to protect myself? What if he wants to fight me or something?”

 

“He blew up thirteen people, Harry!” Snape roared, suddenly looking quite angry. “There is no fair fight against a man like that, which is why the adults surrounding you are the ones in charge of your defence! What would telling you have achieved? All you needed to know was to be more cautious than usual, and we would take care of the rest. I didn’t want to terrify you, for Merlin’s sake!”

 

“I’m not terrified, though,” Harry pointed out. “I’m perfectly safe at Hogwarts. Dumbledore’s here.”

 

Snape’s shoulders slumped slightly. “A pragmatic stance to take, I will give you that.”

 

“Exactly!” Harry grumbled. “I can be pragmatic. I don’t freak out about everything, I can handle myself.”

 

“But you shouldn’t have to,” Snape stressed. “I simply wished to spare you the burden of the information.”

 

“Oh.” Harry shuffled his feet against the floor, not meeting his eyes. Something strange twisted in his chest.

 

“I do have your best interests at heart, Harry,” Snape sighed. “I wish you’d believe that.”

 

Sorry, Harry thought, but he couldn’t bring himself to say it.

 

There was an elongated silence. If Harry strained his ears, he thought he could hear a cauldron bubbling in the background.

 

“So, I’m curious,” Snape said, examining Harry thoughtfully. “The points you brought up about Mr Longbottom. What would you propose I do instead?”

 

“Oh. Just don’t yell at him all the time,” Harry said, feeling like the answer was rather obvious.

 

“Sometimes yelling is the only way you can get across the danger of a situation quickly,” Snape said. “If I didn’t shout, a student might add lacewing flies instead of leeches into a cauldron and blow the whole classroom sky-high. The volume is part of the shock to stop the potentially dangerous behaviour in its tracks.”

 

“But there is a line!” Harry insisted. “Like poisoning his toad? I know you’re annoyed Hermione did it for him, but what choice did he have if he thought you were going to kill Trevor?”

 

“The toad was never in any real danger!” Snape said irritably. “It is a potions laboratory, Potter. Longbottom may be incompetent, but I certainly had the cure to whatever poison he was going to cook up stored on my shelves, you do realise?”

 

“No! I didn’t realise, actually!” Harry said indignantly. “And neither did Neville! If you think you need to yell at people to make them pay attention then fine, but when you go over into just insulting them and poisoning their pets, then people like Neville can’t keep their heads because they’re too busy being scared of you. It makes Neville go to pieces and then he screws up more. Don’t you think that could be even more dangerous? Maybe if you weren’t as mean, he’d find it easier to concentrate.”

 

Snape scowled. “Longbottom needs to learn to keep his nerve.”

 

“But he can’t,” Harry said, shaking his head. “It’s not as simple as that, and you know it. Being mean to him is only making things worse, I know it. Surely you can see that?"

 

Snape didn’t respond immediately. Harry scanned his expression for signs of anger, but instead his expression turned thoughtful.

 

“We clearly have fundamental disagreements in terms of pedagogy, but I am willing to contemplate your point,” Snape said eventually. “Perhaps I occasionally allow some of the, ah… frustrations of teaching to get the best of me.”

 

Harry looked up at him, surprised. He’d not expected any sort of acknowledgement of wrongdoing!

 

“You must understand that teaching Potions is incredibly stressful,” Snape added. “My intimate knowledge of brewing means that I can fully realise the catastrophic potential of a misplaced ingredient in every incident. Being so close to disaster at any given time does not do wonders for my temper.”

 

“Oh. Well, I guess I can understand that,” Harry said. He could imagine that being responsible for the potential deaths of a classroom full of children would be pretty trying…

 

“Good.”

 

Harry continued to stare at Snape, a frown forming on his face. “I’m confused.”

 

“About?”

 

“About why we’re even having this conversation,” Harry said slowly. “I tried to tell you all this stuff yesterday and you just yelled at me. Why are you willing to listen to me now?”

 

Snape sighed loudly. “I’m sure you have noticed that I don’t take criticism particularly well, and I was not in the best of moods during your detention due to your earlier misbehaviour.”

 

“Ah.” Harry felt his cheeks heat up. “Er - right.”

 

“I do, however, value your opinion,” Snape said quietly. “I found myself… disliking the way you were looking at me when you left yesterday, which is why I proposed this conversation. To clear the air, I suppose…”

 

Harry’s mouth fell open. “Wait, are you serious? What do you mean you value my opinion?”

 

Snape’s face abruptly twisted into a scowl. “Exactly what I just said. I do care what you think, you know.”

 

“But why?" Harry asked, baffled.

 

“Because I care about you, Harry!” he snapped. “And part of that, I have annoyingly discovered, includes caring what you think of me!”

 

The strength of emotion behind Snape's words sent Harry reeling. He stared at the man, disbelief written all over his face, mouth agape. "You - what?"

 

“For heaven’s sake, what else do I have to do to persuade you of that, Harry?” Snape demanded, waving a hand through the air. He looked intensely frustrated and slightly hurt. “I cannot possibly understand why you continue to believe that I was forced at wandpoint to become your guardian! Has it ever occurred to you that I enjoyed spending time with you over the summer? That speaking with you about Lily helped me with grief I thought I would never be able to fully reconcile? I would never have done any of this if I did not have a very large degree of regard for you as a person, so yes, I do actually care about you!”

 

Snape’s chest was heaving in the moments following his rant. In the ringing silence that followed, he seemed to realise what words had just left his mouth, and his eyes widened slightly. An almost imperceptible flush coloured his sallow face.

 

Harry took in a ragged breath, his eyes stinging, throat tight, finally understanding. “You - you really do mean it.”

 

A pained look crossed Snape’s features. “Of course I do!”

 

Harry stared at the floor and pressed a hand over his mouth, willing himself not to cry. That would be completely humiliating. He was not going to burst into tears because someone had told Harry they cared for him, even if he could count on one hand the amount of times he’d heard those words.

 

Snape had never actually said that he cared before. He’d vaguely alluded to it in that conversation with Dumbledore, sure, but he’d never come close to actually saying the words. Harry supposed that he had shown it, though, in little ways. The chess games, the new clothes, the blanket and hovering when he’d been sick with magical exhaustion… someone wouldn’t do that if they didn’t like you. Harry supposed Snape just had a hard time actually saying those sorts of things.

 

Hearing it now meant more to Harry than he could have ever imagined it would.

 

“Do you believe me now?” Snape asked quietly.

 

“I do,” Harry whispered with a tight nod.

 

“Good. You can finally start to fully contemplate the unfortunate implications of getting stuck with me as a guardian,” Snape said dryly.

 

The attempt at a joke helped Harry shake off the utter shock, and he let out a choked laugh. Snape wordlessly conjured up a glass of water and slid it across the table to Harry. He gratefully drank it down, watching the Potions professor all the while. There was an almost anxious quality to Snape as he watched Harry right back, and a sudden thought occurred to Harry.

 

Perhaps Snape was feeling just as lost as Harry was right now.

 

As soon as Harry realised it, he also realised how much sense that made. Snape had said as much to him a few weeks ago, when he was struggling to get Harry to talk about the Dursleys. He was very new to this, and he was probably very new to expressing emotions in the manner in which he just had. Harry still wouldn’t say he knew Snape particularly well, but he had gotten well enough acquainted with the man by now to know that he didn’t really do feelings. Putting them out in the open like that had to be difficult for him…

 

The self-deprecating quality of the joke he’d just made and the slight anxious crinkle to his eyes suddenly made far more sense. Harry also wasn’t an expert in talking about how he felt, but he knew deep down that a declaration like the one Snape had just made was important to properly respond to.

 

“Thanks for saying all of that,” he eventually managed.

 

Snape’s eyebrows furrowed. “You deserve to hear it.”

 

“And - I don’t know if it actually means anything to you, and it probably doesn’t, but still, just to let you know, er - I do like that you’re my guardian,” Harry said very awkwardly. “And - well, all the stuff you’ve done for me really means a lot, and I liked the time we spent together and stuff this summer too. It was fun, actually. Talking about my mum was great, too. Really great.” Harry smiled to himself, took a deep breath, and ploughed on. “And - well, I’m not, like, irreparably outraged by how you were in Potions or anything. I’ve always known you were like that in lessons. It hasn’t completely changed my opinion of you or me, er… trusting you or anything. I just - well, you said you care about my opinion, so. Just wanted to let you know.”

 

Oddly enough, Snape smiled. It was a thin, slightly strangled sort of smile, but it was there nonetheless. There was also a strange softness in his eyes that looked odd in comparison to Snape’s usual scowls, but made him look at least ten years younger. “I appreciate you saying that. I will still take your criticisms on, I’d like to add.”

 

“Oh. Er - good.” Harry scratched his neck. “Don’t worry, I’m not expecting you to turn into Professor Sprout or anything.”

 

“If I begin to resemble anything close to that level of fluffiness, report to the Headmaster and instruct him to examine me for signs of the Imperius Curse.” Snape spat the word ‘fluffiness’ like it was the rankest of slurs, and Harry snorted.

 

“I will.”

 

Snape gave him a thoughtful look. “And just to let you know, I did mean it when I said you can seek me out while at school. You don’t have to only chat to me in the context of a disciplinary meeting.”

 

“Oh, okay.” Harry scratched the back of his head, feeling slightly awkward. “You said on Monday you’re really busy with the start of term, though…”

 

“Do keep in mind I had just been forced to trek across this entire castle trying to hunt you down,” Snape drawled, arching an eyebrow. “Cardiovascular exercise does not render me particularly pleasant company.”

 

Harry winced. “Er - yeah. Sorry.”

 

“But do feel free to come to my study if you wish,” Snape said, inclining his head slightly. “I promise you won’t be disturbing me. At any rate, a chess game with you would be a welcome change of pace from dealing with homesick first-years…”

 

Harry’s jaw dropped. “Wait - you comfort homesick first-years? You?”

 

“They don’t yet know well enough to go to the Prefects with their woes,” Snape said with a wry smile. “Even a heartless old bat like me isn’t going to throw a crying eleven-year-old out into the corridors and tell them to suck it up.”

 

Harry was suddenly struck by the vivid memory of Snape staring at him like he was a bomb about to go off when he’d caught Harry crying the night he’d discovered the bruises, and had to struggle not to snort. Snape certainly did not know how to manage tears, that much was certain. He could easily picture a look of pure terror on the man’s face when met with an upset first-year.

 

“I do not particularly enjoy staring into the cavernous pit of your mouth, Harry.”

 

He shut his hanging jaw with a click. “Sorry. Just struggling to imagine you comforting a crying firstie over here. Bit of a shock to the system.”

 

“It is unfortunately in my job description. I do try, but they tend to learn quickly that I am not particularly, ah… skilled at consoling people.”

 

Well, Harry supposed Snape wasn’t entirely awful with emotional people. Harry and Draco had both had their fair share of outbursts, but Snape never yelled at them or said he’d give them something to cry about like Uncle Vernon used to do when Harry got upset as a child. He tended to seem rather uncomfortable, of course, but he tried his best.

 

Snape was by no means an expert, though - that much was certain.

 

“Before I forget - these are for you.” Snape leaned to one side and opened the drawer of his desk. He slid a small package over to Harry, wrapped in brown paper. “Your new glasses were delivered today.”

 

Harry beamed and took the package. “I completely forgot about that!”

 

Snape scoffed. “Somehow, that doesn’t surprise me.”

 

“Can I open them now?”

 

“Obviously - they’re your glasses!”

 

Harry eagerly ripped through the paper, revealing a deep burgundy glasses case. He clicked it open and held up the new eyewear to examine. Snape had bought him similar frames to the ones he currently had, but the wire surrounding the round lenses was gold, not silver.

 

“There are a few enchantments on the frames,” Snape explained as Harry removed his old glasses. “An Impervius Charm to repel rainwater, general sturdiness enchantments that should make the lenses and frames a lot sturdier, and a nifty charm that helps them to stick to your face, in a manner of speaking, so they don’t fall off if you trip.”

 

“Cool! I didn’t know wizards could do that sort of stuff with glasses, too.” Marvelling at the usefulness of magic once again, Harry slid the new glasses onto his face. As the world came into focus, he couldn’t help his small gasp. “Everything’s so much clearer!”

 

With the new clarity of his updated lenses, Harry could easily make out every feature of the sad look on Snape’s face before he quickly banished it from view. “That is the general purpose of glasses, if my understanding is correct.”

 

“I really am blind,” Harry muttered, looking around and taking in every new detail of the classroom. “Thanks, sir.”

 

“There is no need to thank me,” Snape said. “If you wish, you’re now free to go. I’m sure you have a thrilling evening of studying awaiting you.”

 

It took Harry a moment to realise that Snape was being sarcastic. He nodded seriously. “Yes. Great way to spend a Friday night."

 

He got to his feet and picked up his bag, not even bothering to hide his smile.

 

“Goodbye, Harry,” Snape said. “And do start eating more? I am still paying attention to your food intake at mealtimes, even if I’m no longer sitting directly across from you to nag you. We both know your eating has been subpar.”

 

Harry winced, suddenly recalling how he’d spent the week picking at his food and feeling sorry for himself. “Right.”

 

“I doubt you want more medical intervention from Madam Pomfrey when you next see her,” Snape warned. “Heed me.”

 

“I will,” Harry promised. “Bye, sir. See you soon.”

 

Despite the slight admonishment he’d received at the end, Harry still had a slight spring to his step as he trotted out of the dungeons. For someone who was supposed to have just had a detention, he was in a remarkably good mood. Harry hadn’t realised how much the rift with Snape was bothering him until it had been resolved, and he felt a great deal lighter than he had earlier. He wasn’t even dreading the third detention all that much now that they’d cleared the air.

 

Of course, that good mood was quickly ruined when someone shoved roughly past him, sending Harry spinning into the wall. He spun around, ready to shout at the person, but all of Harry’s retorts died on his lips when he saw who it was.

 

“Potter,” Draco growled. He shot Harry a truly hateful look, then stormed off down the corridor.

 

Harry sighed, feeling very sad all of a sudden. Part of him almost wanted to go straight back into Snape’s classroom to ask him for help with his rift with Draco, but Harry stopped himself at the last minute. He knew most of this was his fault, and Snape was annoyed enough with him as it was. Besides, Harry wasn’t a grass…

 

He could deal with this alone.

 

But despite his urge to keep things between him and Draco, Harry promised himself that if the rift with Draco didn’t resolve soon, he’d just suck it up and deal with Snape’s disappointment.

 

Harry sighed. He wondered if he’d ever be able to have an easy life where he wasn’t constantly fighting with either Snape or Draco...

To be continued...
Distance, Timing, Breakdown, Fighting by aspionage
Author's Notes:







The following week, when Harry next had occasion to come across Draco, it seemed that the other boy’s mood had only worsened. Harry had been hoping that the incident in the corridor after his detention was just a symptom of a particularly bad day, but Draco was still in a truly foul mood come Monday. As Harry, Ron and Hermione made their way down to the area by Hagrid’s Hut for their Care of Magical Creatures lesson, he found himself watching Draco out of the corner of his eye. He was stalking down the grassy hill at a noticeable distance from the other Slytherins, staring pointedly at the ground with a scowl affixed to his face. Draco’s cheeks were also rather pink and flushed, which Harry knew as a surefire sign he was particularly angry or upset about something.

 

As the hill began to level out, Ron tripped and stumbled forward, cursing under his breath. Harry jumped out and caught his arm before he fell flat on his face.

 

“Steady on!”

 

“It’s these bloody robes,” Ron muttered angrily, his ears reddening. “My old ones are too short, but Bill was way taller than me at this age, so…”

 

“Can’t afford a decent tailor, Weasley?” Draco laughed scornfully. “I can’t say I’m surprised. I'd be hard-pressed to call those rags 'robes', though…”

 

“Don’t,” Harry said through gritted teeth.

 

“Shut it, Malfoy,” Hermione added angrily.

 

Ron didn’t respond for a moment, but when he did, his words were spat like thumbtacks. “You’re one to talk, Malfoy! I may be poor, but compared to you I’m up to my ears in Galleons!”

 

“You’re worthless, Weasel,” Draco growled, taking a step forward. “You and that wretched, dimwit father of yours -”

 

“At least my father doesn’t have a badly-hidden basement full of Dark Magic!” Ron said scornfully. “Why don’t you hurry up and join darling daddy in Azkaban already?”

 

Malfoy had his wand out in a flash. “Flipendo!” 

 

Ron was thrown backwards across the grass, and landed about ten feet away with an audible thump. Ron started scrambling to his feet, but before he could react, Hermione pounced. “Petrificus totalus!” 

 

Malfoy’s arms snapped to his sides and he fell backwards, stiff as a board, sneer still vivid upon his face. Hermione examined him haughtily as she tucked her wand away and brushed down her robes. “You’re pathetic, Malfoy.”

 

Harry said nothing. He had never felt so lost.

 

Hermione began to walk away from his frozen form, and Harry found himself able to act again. He scrambled up the hill and quickly helped up the red-faced Ron.

 

“He,” Ron panted, “is a git.”

 

Harry gave a vague grunt in response as he handed Ron his schoolbag. After all, nothing Ron had just said was false, because Draco was being a complete git. Insulting Ron and picking a fight for no reason was just downright mean. He should have the right to defend himself…

 

So why did Harry feel weirdly conflicted?

 

As they quickened their pace to rejoin the class, Harry could hear a few Slytherins laughing as they gathered around Draco’s frozen form. He assumed they’d release the spell on their classmate but, to his surprise, none of them made a move to do so. The closer he got, the more audible their voices became.

 

“Did you really just get bested by Granger, Draco?” Parkinson said with a giggle. “How sad!”

 

“Leave him here,” Goyle grunted. “It’ll be a right laugh.”

 

Several more Slytherins snickered and began to move away, excluding the one boy who hadn’t laughed at Draco last week when he’d been attacked by Buckbeak. Even he didn’t look particularly impressed.

 

“You shouldn’t start fights you know you won’t win, Draco,” he said, so quietly that Harry could only make it out because he was just passing by the two of them. “Being sloppy doesn’t suit you.”

 

He, too, stalked away. Harry couldn’t help but glance back at Draco on his way past.

 

Ron did, too, but only smirked. “Never thought I’d be agreeing with Slytherins, but I think we ought to let him sit there for a minute, too.”

 

“Er - alrigh’, everyone!” Hagrid called uncertainly. Harry cast one final glance towards Draco before heading over to where Hagrid was standing, looking incredibly unsure of himself. At least Hagrid would notice and sort this all out…

 

But Hagrid was incredibly distracted during their lesson. He kept losing his train of thought mid sentence and circled them anxiously as they tended to the flobberworms. He even forgot to take the register, so Draco’s absence wasn’t noted. When Ron and Hermione weren’t looking, Harry repeatedly cast glances over his shoulder to the obscured spot where Draco was still lying. No one had found him…

 

And when the lesson concluded, all of the Slytherins rushed past him without a second glance. Since Harry, Ron and Hermione had lingered back for a minute to check in on Hagrid, who was still rather teary and scared he’d be sacked at any moment, they were the last ones to go past him. Would anyone else go past and see Draco’s frozen, supine form? How long could he be stuck out here if someone didn’t do something?

 

Harry, after a moment of intense conflict, bit his lip, pointed his wand at Draco and whispered, “Finite incantatem.”

 

He began to hurry up the hill quickly. Ron gave him an indignant look. “What did you do that for?”

 

“It’s been an hour, we can’t just leave him there!” Harry said. “What if something in the forest came out and ate him? Besides, you don't want Hermione getting in trouble for hexing him, do you?"

 

“If you were in his shoes he’d leave you there, Harry,” Ron said shortly.

 

“Yeah, but we aren’t like Malfoy,” Harry pointed out. “That’s the whole point. We shouldn’t do things he’d do - don’t be an arse, Ron.”

 

“I still don’t know how you put up with him this summer, Harry,” Hermione said sympathetically. "Especially with Professor Snape added to the mix. He must have favoured Malfoy terribly!"

 

Harry let out a vague grunt and didn’t respond. She was right to a degree, since Snape had spent the first week favouring Malfoy to a ridiculous extent, but he had stopped eventually, at the very least…

 

Harry sighed. He wished he could go to Snape about all this, now - Harry was having the growing realisation that he really needed some help here.

 

As he thought more about the incident before lessons, though, Harry had an abrupt realisation. Even though Draco was clearly angry with him, why hadn’t any of his insults been directed at Harry? The last two years, the nasty comments towards Ron and Hermione had generally been directed to them in their capacity as extensions of Harry, since Harry and Draco were the main ones with the rivalry.

 

Today was different, though. He’d pointedly and directly come after Ron, and he’d largely ignored Harry’s presence. What could that possibly mean?

 

And why, even after Draco had attacked Ron, had Harry remained frozen in place with his wand in his pocket, when normally he’d be straight into the fray to defend his friend?

 


 

“D’you reckon Snape heard about Neville’s boggart, and the dress?” Ron whispered as they descended into the dungeons on Thursday.

 

“Oh, I hope not,” Hermione said with a visible wince. “He’s horrid enough to Neville as it is…”

 

Harry, who had told Snape about the boggart himself, wisely said nothing. He wasn’t in much of a mood to talk, at any rate. This was his first Potions lesson since his discussion with Snape during detention, and he was on pins and needles waiting to see if the man would behave differently. They were set to brew a Confusing Concoction, and Snape barked out their instructions with the usual stern tones he used. Well, Harry had said he wasn’t expecting the man to turn into Professor Sprout…

 

About half an hour in, though, Snape whipped around to Neville’s desk. “Longbottom!”

 

Neville violently jumped back, dropping the yarrow leaves he was holding onto the floor. Snape pointed at them. “You are supposed to use borage leaves first, boy, not yarrow! Fix it!”

 

Neville remained frozen in place, tense, clearly anticipating the usual stream of vitriol that would accompany a failure in Potions, but Snape simply swept away without another word. Neville stared after him, mouth slightly agape, like he couldn’t believe that was it. Only a hurried nudge from Hermione startled him into action, and he began hurriedly chopping his borage leaves.

 

So Snape really was taking on what Harry said. He smiled to himself, a facial expression he was fairly certain he’d never made in a Potions lesson before. That smile did fade slightly when Snape reminded Harry that he still had a detention that evening but granted, he was still rather happy. Progress was progress.

 

Ron frowned at Harry as they walked out of the classroom. “I thought you only had two detentions with him?”

 

Harry grimaced. “I got another one during detention.”

 

“That’s completely unfair!” Ron said indignantly. “He shouldn’t just be layering them on like that!”

 

“No, I kind of had it coming,” Harry said. “I yelled at him and told him he wasn’t worthy of respect, so -”

 

“Harry!” Hermione scolded. “You didn’t!”

 

Harry pulled a face and didn’t reply.

 

“You need to start reigning it in!” Hermione said severely. “You keep shouting at him, Harry, and you’re just going to get yourself in more trouble!”

 

With a disapproving look at Harry, she flounced on ahead.

 

“I think you should listen to her, mate,” Ron said in a low voice. “You don’t want to be on Snape’s bad side…”

 

“Well, he’s definitely going to make me regret it all this evening,” he said with a sigh.

 

Harry, of course, was correct. Snape decided to make Harry scrub the floor beneath one of the workbenches for his punishment. A Hufflepuff had spilled flobberworm guts there earlier that morning, a fact which Snape took great pleasure in informing him. Over the course of the day, it had hardened and was nearly impossible to scrub off. By the time he was done, Harry’s shoulders were tense and aching. Well, his last detention had just entirely been talking. Harry had gotten off rather lightly so far, all things considered.

 

He worked in silence, since Snape pointedly ignored any of the conversational questions that Harry posed. It was only when he went to leave the classroom at the conclusion of the detention that Snape spoke.

 

“I meant it when I said I wouldn’t mind seeing you outside of a disciplinary meeting, Harry.”

 

He cast a look over his shoulder and smiled. “I wouldn’t mind, either. Bye, sir.”

 

In a far better mood than was warranted post-detention, Harry walked out of the classroom, rolling his aching shoulders. He winced, realising that he still had to write his Herbology essay that was due tomorrow morning in this state. That was not going to be very fun… but maybe Hermione would take pity on him and let him copy some of hers? No, Harry doubted she would. Hermione had spent most of dinner lecturing him about the idiocy of goading Snape, and certainly wouldn’t be feeling all that sympathetic about him facing the repercussions of losing his evening to a well-deserved detention.

 

Harry was just beginning to debate the merits of lying and saying he’d forgotten his essay in Gryffindor Tower, since Professor Sprout was more sympathetic than most and likely to just take points instead of assigning detention, when he heard raised voices coming from nearby.

 

“Take that, Malfoy!”

 

“Look, Pucey, I just -”

 

There was a thudding noise, a loud groan, and raucous laughter, bouncing off the stone walls. Recognising Draco’s voice, an alarmed Harry hurried forward and peered a head around the corner. He spotted it at once - two Slytherin boys had Draco pinned against the dungeon walls.

 

“Is your father going to hear about this, Draco?” Pucey jeered, a sneer on his face. “Oh, wait - you can’t tell him much anymore, can you?”

 

Draco, strangely enough, didn’t respond. His face was flushed, and there was a bruise blooming under his eye. He looked defeated and utterly miserable.

 

Harry stepped forwards and shouted, “Petrificus totalus!” 

 

The other boy with Pucey fell forwards instantly, but before Harry could hit Pucey himself with the spell, he had his wand out. A dark orange jet of light that looked rather nasty flew over Harry’s shoulder, forcing him to duck. Harry shouted, “Expelliarmus!” 

 

To the immense shock of both Harry and Pucey, the spell landed. Pucey’s wand flew out of his hand and down the dark dungeon corridor. He swore under his breath and hurried after it. Draco also started running, but in the opposite direction. Harry followed, not particularly feeling up to a duel with an older and more experienced wizard. Besides, he really wanted to talk to Draco…

 

It took him a while to catch up, in the darkest and most twisted portion of the dungeon. “Draco, please stop!”

 

He whirled around, lips pressed into a thin white line.

 

“I’m really sorry, okay?” Harry said, holding his hands out. “I know that letter wasn’t nice, and the stuff I said about you in Flourish and Blotts really wasn’t, but can’t we try and move on? We’ve both done nasty stuff to each other before, way worse stuff, so can’t we please get past this?”

 

“No. We can’t.” Draco whipped out his wand and pointed it at Harry. “You’re the one who ruined my life!”

 

“I did not -”

 

“Don’t lie!” Draco’s wand was levelled directly at Harry’s throat. There was something dark and wild in his eyes. “Are you forgetting about the trapdoor to my basement Weasley mentioned? The one from the letter?!”

 

Harry’s mouth went dry.

 

“You knew, didn’t you?” Draco’s voice was cold. “That my father stored his Dark artefacts down there. Admit it!”

 

The last two words were shouted and with them, Draco drove the wand hard into Harry’s throat. There was no point denying it, so he simply nodded, feeling bitterly ashamed.

 

“How?!” Draco bellowed. “No one knew except for the family, how the hell did you find out?”

 

“Because you told me yourself!” Harry shouted. “I - I heard you talking about it! So you can stop blaming me for all of this when it’s your own bloody fault it got out!”

 

Something seemed to die in Draco’s face. The anger was overshadowed by a dark and pained expression that reminded Harry of the look on Snape’s face whenever he brought up Lily.

 

The hand pointing a wand into Harry’s throat went slack, releasing some of the pressure on his breathing. He went to step forward, but Draco roughly pushed Harry back up against the wall so hard that his head smacked roughly into the cobblestone and spun stars into his vision.

 

“I hate you,” Draco growled, every syllable dripping with venom. He practically sprinted down the corridor while Harry rubbed the goose egg that was rapidly forming on the back of his head with a wince. He didn’t bother following - Draco’s words had punctured him.

 

Harry wondered when the simple fact of Draco Malfoy hating him had become so painful to hear. He wondered why the other boy’s vehement words, which he so obviously meant, made Harry’s throat grow tight and scratchy.

 


 

Despite himself, Draco’s behaviour continued to get Harry down. His friends instantly picked up on his foul mood - Hermione stopped with her silent condemnation and allowed Harry to copy bits of her homework, while Ron loudly told Harry not to let the greasy git get him down. Even though Snape was not the one Harry was annoyed with, he at least appreciated the sentiment.

 

He didn’t tell them about the confrontation with Draco in the dungeons, though. There was something so painfully personal about it all, and he knew that Ron and Hermione would get very angry on Harry’s behalf. He didn’t deserve their sympathy, though. Harry was the reason Draco’s parents were locked up in Azkaban. It was no wonder Draco hated Harry, even if the Malfoys deserved to be in prison…

 

He wished things were different. As time went on, he missed Draco’s company more and more.

 

Even though Harry was determined not to talk about Draco to his friends, to his shock Hermione ended up raising the topic two days after his confrontation in the dungeons.

 

“Something’s rather odd about Malfoy at the minute,” she remarked, struggling to stuff a stack of textbooks into her backpack.

 

Harry jerked his head up sharply. “Oh?”

 

“He’s constantly in the library nowadays,” she said. “He never reads any books, though. I was going to do some further reading for Muggle Studies and found him holed up in the archive section, reading through all of these old copies of the Daily Prophet. I see him there almost every day, now.”

 

Harry frowned. “Weird.”

 

What on earth could Draco want with a bunch of dusty old newspapers? He’d never shown any sort of specific interest in history  - in fact, he lamented his History of Magic homework over the summer with as much frequency as Harry did - so what would he be going through an archive of old newspapers for?

 

“I’m heading there now - I’ll let you know if I see him again,” Hermione said, slinging her bag over her shoulder. Harry thought it was a wonder she didn’t topple over from the weight of it.

 

Ron frowned. “Malfoy doesn’t give you any trouble, does he?”

 

“No - I doubt he even realises I’m there,” Hermione explained, heading towards the portrait hole. “He’s too focused.”

 

“I wonder what he’s up to,” Ron said.

 

“Same,” Harry said thoughtfully.

 

The two of them headed out of Gryffindor Tower moments later, in pursuit of an early lunch that could delay the start to their homework. Moments before Harry could enter the Entrance Hall, though, he heard someone make a derisive, irritated sound from behind him. Harry stopped talking, turned around and felt his heart sink. Draco was staring at him and Ron, eyes glittering with hatred.

 

“Well, well, well. If it isn’t Potty and the Weasel.”

 

Ron scowled. “Clear off, Malfoy!”

 

Draco raised his eyebrows into an expression of mock horror. “Oh, of course! I shan’t get in the way of the great Harry Potter and his little minion! Apparently, having a nasty great slash on your head makes you special nowadays…”

 

“Shut up,” Harry growled through gritted teeth. Draco knew how much he hated his fame now, and his choice to go back to the old insults really rankled.

 

“You think you’re such a hero, don’t you, Potter?” Draco spat, taking a step forward. “You just think you’re so perfect, and so important, always swooping in where you’re not wanted, famous little git -”

 

“Hey, just leave off!” Ron said angrily. Harry was too angry to speak, and he didn’t understand why. Draco normally wasn’t able to rile him up this easily.

 

“But you’re not really special at all, are you, Potter?” Draco said softly, his face inches from Harry’s and filled with an almost manic focus. “I know you’re not the brave little hero everybody thinks you are! Not anymore. No, I know every single one of your pathetic little secrets…”

 

Hot, boiling fury coursed through Harry like poison. Draco’s remark about Harry’s ‘pathetic little secrets’ could be in reference to any number of things that Draco had found out about, and every single possibility sickened him. He was throwing the Dursleys back in Harry’s face! He couldn’t believe Draco would even dare -

 

And before Harry could think twice, his wand was out. Malfoy needed to learn when to shut the hell up. “Veruccus!” 

 

Draco shrieked as Harry’s spell hit him in a blast of yellow light. Oozing green pustules popped up all over his face and hands. Enraged, Draco’s wand was levelled at Harry, a spell on his lips. “Flipendo!” 

 

Harry’s legs flew out from under him and he hit the ground hard, the wind knocked out of him. Draco’s face was alight with fury, and his wand was pointed at Harry, prepared for another curse before he got to his feet -

 

But Ron jumped in front of Harry and bellowed, “Rictusempra!” 

 

While Harry found his feet, the two of them shot countless hexes and jinxes, half of which didn’t hit. Still, by the time Harry rejoined the fray, Ron had leeks growing out of his ears, and Draco had grown horns. Harry stood next to Ron and began to carry on the onslaught of spells.

 

Draco seemed to realise he was outnumbered, and quickly threw up a Shield Charm moments after Harry and Ron sent twin hexes. When they bounced, the jet of green light that Ron had shot at Draco hit Harry, the force knocking him from his feet once again. Icy sweat instantly layered over Harry’s skin, and his stomach gave an uncomfortable, twisting lurch. An awful nauseous feeling churned in his gut. It felt like the time Harry had eaten rotten food out of the Dursleys’ bin, and hadn’t been able to keep any of it down…

 

Harry was feeling so awful that he didn’t realise right away that the fighting between Draco and Ron had stopped. Before he could even glance up and work out why that was, a hand seized Harry’s collar in an iron grip and yanked him to his feet. It was Snape, Harry realised, struggling to hold back a groan of displeasure. His face was livid and white, dark eyes popping with fury.

 

“What on earth do you all think you’re doing?!” he shouted, eyes flitting between Draco, Harry and Ron. He shook Harry slightly. “Well?”

 

Harry opened his mouth to respond, but couldn’t get a word out. The nausea he’d been experiencing had been significantly worsened by Snape shaking him around like that, and he really felt quite sick now. Harry opened his mouth again to attempt an explanation, but proceeded to vomit slugs onto Snape's shoes.

 

If Harry had thought that Snape was angry before, it was nothing compared to the look on his face when he shakily raised his head again. This was new levels of fury even he had not touched, judging by the vein bulging in Snape’s forehead and the snarling curl of his lips.

 

He jabbed a finger at Draco, who also looked rather worse for wear. “You. My office. Now.” 

 

As Draco fearfully scurried away, Snape’s apoplectic face turned back to Harry. He begged the slugs to remain in his stomach. “You. Hospital Wing. I’ll deal with you later.” He conjured up a bucket and shoved it at Ron so hard he stumbled backwards. “Weasley, take him.”

 

Snape spun on his heel and stalked into the dungeons after Draco. Harry quickly snatched the bucket from Ron as more slugs came up.

 

Ron put an arm around his shoulders. “Come on, mate. Let’s go.”

 


 

There were several things about vomiting up slugs that Ron had not deigned to mention the year before.

 

Number one: the taste. There had once been a time where Dudley had forcefed Harry a worm, and it had been so thoroughly disgusting that Harry’s accidental magic had turned him oily and slippery, so he was able to wriggle away from his cousin’s clutches to spit the worm out and escape. This, however, was not something Harry could fix with accidental magic when the slugs had already made their way into his stomach. Every time he threw up, a layer of slime lingered in his mouth. Harry was going to brush his teeth for hours after this.

 

Number two: it was not particularly easy to vomit up some of the slugs, given their size. Harry occasionally felt them getting stuck in the back of his throat, which was thoroughly awful.

 

But none of this could compare to number three, the worst part: the slugs were alive. Harry could not understand why his stomach acid hadn’t killed the slugs yet, but he was cursed with the sensation of the creatures slithering around inside his gut, sending awful shivers through him and only worsening the nausea. It was such an awful feeling that it almost made the unpleasant process of repeatedly sicking up worth it, since at least that meant the slugs were getting out.

 

Unfortunately for Harry, there was nothing Madam Pomfrey could do for him just yet. Apparently, the best course of action was to wait for the worst of the vomiting to subside so that potions could be properly absorbed by Harry’s body. At least, that was what he thought she’d said. Harry was too busy vomiting slugs to want to listen to potion explanations, or the chiding lecture from Madam Pomfrey that accompanied it about fighting.

 

“Ron?” Harry muttered. “That bloody spell never goes right for you, so maybe pick something else next time?”

 

Ron, whose own afflictions had been fixed with two minutes of spellwork, grimaced. “I’m really sorry, mate.”

 

Harry just groaned and leaned his head against the rim of the bucket, closing his eyes so he didn’t have to look at the slugs within.

 

“Malfoy really ought to get it for what he did,” Ron growled. “And that stuff he was saying to you, Harry! What the hell is his problem?!”

 

“Good bloody question,” Harry grumbled. He was still furious at Draco, not least because he was partially responsible for Harry’s slug situation, but also because of those horrid comments he’d made. Any regret about what he’d done to start this whole mess was rather limited after that.

 

He heard something being set down on the table next to him. Harry looked up and saw Madam Pomfrey with three potions.

 

“Do you think you can stomach these yet?” she asked briskly. “They’ll kill the slugs and stop the vomiting.”

 

Harry, who was so desperate to stop the slugs moving, enthusiastically gulped down the potions with no mind to their foul taste. The one that supposedly killed the slugs burned like lava, but Harry was undeterred. He would do anything to make this stop.

 

He’d just finished drinking the last one when the doors to the Hospital Wing flew open. Snape stalked over in a flurry of black robes, face grim. His eyes landed on Ron, and he pointed a finger at the doors. “Out, Weasley.”

 

Ron looked like he was going to protest, but a second quelling look from Snape sent him on his way. Madam Pomfrey tutted at Harry and bustled away to her office. Snape folded his arms and looked down his nose at Harry, who was still feeling thoroughly miserable.

 

“These are well-deserved consequences, you know,” Snape announced. “Maybe this experience will at last put you off fighting, although I don’t hold out much hope…”

 

Harry glared at Snape, propping his head up on his hands. "How many detentions am I getting?"

 

"A question for Professor McGonagall. Your Head of House deals with matters of this nature."

 

Harry wasn't sure if that was better or worse than Snape punishing him. The man could be rather strict. Still, it surprised him Snape hadn't wanted to take things into his own hands -

 

"But as your guardian, I still want to have a conversation about what just happened."

 

Ah, a lecture. Of course…

 

"This ends now," Snape growled, looking remarkably angry. "I thought that at your age you finally had the capacity to navigate your own relationships, so I was trying to leave you and Draco to resolve this obvious rift alone. Once again, however, I find myself forced to micromanage you like children! What have you fallen out about this time?"

 

Harry didn't respond. He stared at his shoes and bit down on his lip. He couldn't tell Snape about the letter, Flourish and Blotts, and everything that had happened as a consequence. He'd be unbearably disappointed…

 

"Harry." Snape's hand clamped onto Harry's shoulder. He glanced up, startled, and saw Snape's eyes were narrowed and stormy. "Tell me what is wrong now. I want this to be fixed and behind us.”

 

"There's no point," Harry said miserably, wrapping his arms around his middle. His stomach ached from the slugs and the potions and the horrible, gnawing sadness in his core. "It can’t be fixed! I ruined everything."

 

"I highly doubt it," Snape remarked. "Explain yourself instead of talking in riddles, please."

 

"Fine." Harry took a shuddering breath and kept his gaze fixed on the floor. "You guys wouldn't explain what was going on with Draco and his parents so… er, I sort of sent a letter to Ron and asked. It was in the first week, though, before everything changed, but the letter didn't come until our last day at yours. Draco found it and read it, and got really angry at me because he thought I'd been gossiping about him with Ron, especially because I said some rude stuff about him to Ron and Hermione in Flourish and Blotts that he overheard. And… well, he found out I'd passed on the information about that trapdoor in the Malfoys' basement where all the artefacts were."

 

"You knew about that?" Snape asked sharply. “How?”

 

“Er - he told me,” Harry said, refusing to meet Snape’s eyes.

 

“You’re lying,” Snape said sharply. “Don’t. How exactly did you find out?”

 

“I can’t say,” Harry said. He really couldn’t - it wouldn’t just be him getting in trouble, but Ron and Hermione, too!

 

“If you don’t tell me immediately, I will Legilimise you and find out myself,” Snape said in a low voice.

 

Indignance surged through Harry. He scowled. “You can’t do that!”

 

“I can and I will,” Snape said, glaring right back at him. “You’ve clearly done something dangerous or stupid, so you will tell me how you came across that information.”

 

“That’s completely unfair!”

 

“I don’t care. You have five seconds.”

 

Harry ground his back teeth and sighed loudly, knowing he wouldn’t get out of this. “Look - it was the previous school year. You aren’t allowed to punish students for things they did ages ago, right?”

 

“I will agree to a statute of limitations if you will stop talking in circles and tell me what happened already,” Snape said. “Make up your mind.”

 

“Okay, okay…”

 

Harry swallowed hard, and stared at the ground. If he could explain it himself, perhaps it wouldn’t sound as bad. Actually watching Harry, Ron and Hermione secretly brew Polyjuice in Moaning Myrtle’s bathroom would probably be far worse than just hearing about it secondhand. Either way, Harry wasn’t getting out of this all without telling Snape what he knew. He sighed and started reluctantly explaining.

 

“Er - Draco did tell us about the trapdoor himself, like I said. But not us, see… we kind of thought Draco maybe was the Heir of Slytherin, so we, er - we may have sort of, um… Polyjuiced as Crabbe and Goyle. We asked him what he knew, and Draco mentioned the trapdoor during that. Um. Sir.”

 

Snape did not respond immediately. Harry dared to look up, and immediately regretted it. Snape’s jaw was practically convulsing, and his lips were pressed into a thin, white line.

 

“And where,” he said, in a dangerously soft voice, “did you acquire Polyjuice Potion?”

 

Somehow, a quiet Snape was far scarier than a shouting, furious one. Harry’s mouth was as dry as sandpaper. “We brewed it.”

 

“You brewed it?!”

 

“Er…”

 

Snape opened his mouth, shut it with an audible click, spun on his heel and stormed out of the Hospital Wing. Harry rubbed his hands over his face and groaned. He was completely and utterly screwed.

 

Where had Snape gone? Was he off to drag Ron and Hermione in here, too? Harry had tried not to incriminate them, but he and Snape obviously both knew who ‘we’ referred to…

 

Moments before Harry made up his mind about whether or not he should run out of the Hospital Wing to hide, Snape returned. He was holding a heavy-looking textbook, which he slammed down onto the table next to Harry with an audible thud. He then flipped through the pages until he landed on what he’d been looking for. On the page before him was a gruesome illustration of a legless wizard sitting in a pool of his own blood, face contorted with agony.

 

“This wizard,” Snape said in a tightly controlled voice, “brewed Polyjuice and forgot the lacewing flies. He no longer has legs.”

 

Harry cringed, but Snape was not done. He continued to flip through the pages, captioning every gory illustration and photograph with a detailed explanation.

 

“This wizard accidentally used goat hair instead of the hair of the person he intended to transform into and ended up like this - but you would be familiar with that particular botched Polyjuice side effect, wouldn’t you? Miss Granger coughing up furballs in the Hospital Wing for two months finally has an explanation, I see!” Snape’s eyes were dark and stormy with fury. “This witch died in agony as the flesh melted off her bones. She used half a gram more of boomslang skin than she was supposed to. This wizard picked his fluxweed at the wrong time of the month. After the potion wore off, he returned to his usual form missing a body part of a rather - ah - sensitive nature.”

 

“Okay, okay!” Harry said, covering his eyes to avoid looking at the particularly horrifying final illustration. “I get it!”

 

“Do you?” Snape hissed, slamming the book shut. “Considering your appalling Potions performances, I doubt you can even begin to understand how much danger you put yourself in by doing something this monumentally stupid! Most fully trained wizards struggle to brew Polyjuice Potion, let alone an unsupervised twelve-year-old with minimal Potions knowledge or skill!”

 

“Hermione knew what she was doing!” Harry said defensively.

 

“Did she?” Snape challenged. “Her cat-like state earlier this year doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence!”

 

“See, this is why I didn’t want to tell you!” Harry said angrily. “I knew you were going to flip out -”

 

“Obviously!” Snape shouted, towering over Harry. “I am a Potions Master, Potter! You breaking about fifty school rules and the law to brew your own Polyjuice Potion and go on a wild goose chase over an absolutely stupid theory about the Heir of Slytherin was never going to please me! Are you truly so foolish as to think I would simply let this slide?”

 

“But you already promised you weren’t going to punish me!” Harry said quickly, shuffling away from Snape. He had gone an alarming shade of red.

 

Snape curled his hands into fists and glared at Harry, seething. “Eight feet on the dangers of Polyjuice from you and both of your hare-brained friends, to be submitted by Thursday morning.”

 

“That’s literally a punishment!” Harry complained. “You can’t, sir, you promised!”

 

“I have been struck by the sudden urge to assign extra homework, as a matter of fact,” Snape said coolly, folding his arms. “Consider yourself very lucky you haven’t just received a month of detention! Polyjuice Potion! You absolute fool -”

 

Snape cut himself off and took a very long, very loud breath in. He turned away, and Harry realised that he’d started to cower away from Snape slightly and did his best to shake his limbs out. When Snape turned back around, his fury had been buried beneath Occlumency shields, leaving his face blank.

 

“So, you found out about the trapdoor through blatant identity theft, then,” he said bluntly.

 

Harry winced. “I’m really sorry -”

 

"We will discuss this more later," Snape said rather ominously. He looked at Harry closely. “Let us return to the matter at hand. You do know this trapdoor was not the sole deciding factor that finally allowed the Malfoys’ crimes to catch up to them?”

 

Harry forgot his Polyjuice-related woes for a moment and stared at Snape. “Wait, what? Ron said -”

 

“Mr Weasley was confused,” Snape said. “The Malfoys are not stupid people - they would not have told their loose-lipped twelve-year-old son the intimate details of their Dark artefact stash. Nothing within that part of the basement would have netted Narcissa and Lucius anything worse than a hefty fine, Harry. There was actually a separate room within the basement that Arthur Weasley stumbled across containing the truly bad items which resulted in their arrest.”

 

Harry’s jaw dropped. “So it’s not mine and Ron’s fault the Malfoys are in prison?”

 

Snape sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. “It is Lucius and Narcissa’s fault that they are in prison, no matter the circumstances. I see Draco has confused certain facts in his mind. I will do my best to dispel these notions of your guilt in the matter.”

 

“Thanks,” Harry said. He hadn’t realised he’d been feeling so bad about the trapdoor until the weight of the guilt was lifted from his shoulders. Not because he was upset the Malfoys were in prison or anything - he simply wished he hadn’t had a role in making Draco’s life so difficult.

 

“And this letter - you’d sent it earlier in the summer?”

 

“Yeah, but I didn’t get Ron’s reply until ages after I sent it asking,” Harry explained. “I tried to explain, but he won’t listen to me!”

 

“I will discuss things with him in a moment, then,” Snape said. “I still fail to see how hexing him would in any way endear you to him following a misstep on your part, though. You really should have had better control of yourself -”

 

“He deserved that,” Harry muttered, scowling at the memory.

 

“How so?”

 

“He - he said things!” Harry said angrily.

 

“Ah, yes,” Snape said in a monotone voice. “Things. I always appreciate the specifics with you…”

 

“He was saying how I wasn’t the brave little hero everyone thinks I am, and how he knew all of my pathetic little secrets!” Harry shouted. “I just needed to shut him up, because I thought he was going to tell everyone! He brought up them!” 

 

A very angry look settled across Snape’s face. He glared into the distance, nostrils flaring.

 

“What was I supposed to do?” Harry hissed, hunching his shoulders. “If he’s going to tell everyone I should have the right to defend myself, so don’t get mad at me -"

 

“You are not the one I am deeply unimpressed with,” Snape interrupted. He drew himself up to his full height. “I promised you Draco would not reveal what he overheard. He and I shall be having a little discussion presently, I believe. Good day, Harry. Head straight down to Professor McGonagall’s office please, she’s expecting you.”

 

A very annoyed Snape swept out of the Hospital Wing without another word. Harry winced, but he couldn’t find it in himself to feel all that bad for Draco. He hadn’t actually said anything, but even threatening or hinting to made Harry’s stomach turn. He didn’t know if Draco would have actually gone through with it, but Harry didn’t trust Draco all that much right now to be sure either way.

 

With a sigh, he started shuffling out of the Hospital Wing, downstairs to Professor McGonagall’s office. Well, at least one thing was out of the way - Snape didn’t think he was a deeply awful person for his part in the rift with Draco. The Polyjuice was another matter, of course, but Harry had always known that would get him in a ton of trouble if it ever came to light. He had a bad feeling that this was going to feature in Snape rants for the foreseeable future…

 

Speaking of rants, Harry was now approaching his Head of House’s office. He sighed loudly. The last thing Harry wanted to do while still ailed by a nasty stomach ache and a mouth full of slug slime was to head to Professor McGonagall's office for his second bollocking of the day, but he seemed destined to have the worst time possible right now. Harry sighed and prepared to knock on the door, feeling thoroughly disgruntled.

 


 

"This behaviour is getting out of hand, Potter!" Professor McGonagall said furiously. Harry would not have been surprised to see sparks explode from her flaring nostrils. "Three detentions from Professor Snape in scarcely a fortnight is bad enough, but duelling in the corridors is yet another offence on a growing list of broken rules!”

 

Harry shuffled awkwardly on the spot and did his best to look contrite.

 

"While I do understand that you and Mr Malfoy are now, I suppose, stepbrothers -"

 

Harry spluttered indignantly. "We are not!"

 

"Do cease with the dramatics, Potter!" Professor McGonagall snapped, her eyebrows contracting sharply. "You are perfectly aware that yourself and Malfoy now possess a closer relationship than simple classmates, so if there's a better word you'd prefer to describe the situation, do enlighten me!"

 

To Harry's immense irritation, there apparently was not a better word, although 'stepbrothers' still made him baulk.

 

"I do believe that families should be allowed to settle matters amongst themselves - what I do not approve of is when those very families decide to hash things out with dangerous duels in the middle of the Entrance Hall!" Professor McGonagall snapped. "So I must deal with this as a school matter! Detention, and thirty points from Gryffindor!"

 

Harry felt his shoulders slump. That was certainly not going to endear him to his house, especially considering all of the points he’d been losing in Potions last week…

 

"I do not want to see you in this position again anytime soon, Potter!" she added sternly. "I'd advise you to sort your behaviour out and figure out a way to resolve your quarrel with Malfoy before myself and Professor Snape find ourselves forced to intervene in a manner which the two of you will dislike deeply! Dismissed. I'll send a note with the details of your detention soon."

 

"Yes, Professor," Harry ground out before stalking from the office. He furiously hoped that whatever action Snape was taking against Draco would be just as annoying as getting thirty points removed and even more detention. He missed having free time in the evenings!

 

When Harry got into the common room, he found a doleful-looking Ron sitting in the corner. He grimaced at Harry commiseratingly. “Back from McGonagall?”

“Yeah,” Harry muttered, throwing himself down in the adjoining armchair.

 

“Bloody Malfoy,” Ron said angrily.

 

“Agreed.” Harry scowled. His eyes did a scan of the common room for Hermione, but found her missing. She was still in the library, he assumed. What he did find were two fifth-years completing a Potions essay. Harry cringed, and realised he still had to pass on the details of Snape’s punishment to Ron and Hermione…

 

“What’s your problem?” Ron asked, noticing his reaction.

 

Harry sighed. “You, me and Hermione need to do eight feet on the dangers of Polyjuice Potion.”

 

Ron gave him a baffled look. “Why?”

 

“Snape found out about us impersonating Crabbe and Goyle.”

 

Ron groaned and slumped back in his chair. “Harry!”

 

“Sorry,” Harry said, sighing loudly. “It’s my fault he found out, so you can just copy mine when I do it or something…”

 

“Nah,” Ron said with a shake of his head. “I did help brew it, didn’t I? Besides, you’re not going to manage that on your own. Eight feet? He’s sadistic!”

 

“Got that right,” Harry muttered.

 

Ron snorted. “Knowing Hermione, she’ll do ten, though.”

 

Harry managed a thin smile. “Maybe she’ll let us copy.”

 

“After we lost so many house points? I doubt it…”

 


 

Harry didn’t see either Draco or Snape for the remainder of the weekend. He had been assuming that Snape would hunt him down somewhere to carry on shouting at Harry, but he’d been conspicuously absent, even from meals. Draco was also missing from the Great Hall. Harry didn’t run into him again until Monday afternoon, during their shared Care of Magical Creatures class. He stared at Harry with wide eyes, pulled a face and stumbled slightly, then avoided looking at him again for the entire lesson. Draco practically sprinted back to the castle when the class concluded, ran straight past Snape, who was standing in the Entrance Hall, and vanished into the dungeons.

 

Snape himself subtly nodded his head towards a marble staircase, and Harry followed, wondering what he could want. After they’d walked far enough away from the main crowd of students, he decided it was safe to talk to Snape privately.

 

“Where are we going?” he asked.

 

“Hospital Wing,” Snape explained. “After last time, I wanted to ensure you actually attended your appointment.”

 

Harry, who had completely forgotten about the fortnightly meetings amid the chaos of his feud with Draco, didn’t complain about being micromanaged.

 

“Er - I thought you said you were going to talk to Draco,” Harry said quietly.

 

“I did.”

 

“But… well, he ignored me that whole lesson still,” Harry said, hunching his shoulders.

 

Snape slowed his pace and turned to look at Harry. “Give him time.”

 

“But what if things never get better?” Harry whispered.

 

“They will,” Snape said simply. “Both of you want to resolve this rift, you know.”

 

“We do?” Harry said, surprised.

 

“Draco and I spoke at length this weekend,” Snape said cryptically. “He is just as unhappy with the way of things as you are. As I said - you simply must give it time.”

 

Harry, who hated waiting, sighed and put his head down for the rest of the journey to the Hospital Wing.

 


 

The discussion with Madam Pomfrey was far quicker than it had been two weeks ago. After a quick spell to record Harry’s weight, she and Snape had a brief discussion where they weighed up the benefits and downsides of some sort of Nutrient Potion, and Harry was sent on his way and made it back to Gryffindor Tower just as Ron and Hermione were going down to dinner. They took their regular seats at the Gryffindor table, and Harry was about to start tucking into a steak and kidney pie when the Great Hall was flooded with at least a hundred post owls. They all descended onto the student tables with various hoots and squawks.

 

“What’s going on?” Ron asked, looking rather alarmed.

 

“There must be an evening edition of the Prophet out,” Hermione said with a frown as an owl landed in front of her. “That’s odd. They don’t normally do that unless there’s urgent news…”

 

“Is it about Black?” Harry asked, craning his neck to try and catch a glimpse of Hermione’s newspaper. She was the only one of them with a subscription to the Daily Prophet. “Have they finally caught him?”

 

Hermione gasped and pressed a hand over her mouth.

 

“Hermione, what?” Harry demanded, getting to his feet for a better look. At last, he caught sight of the newspaper headline, and felt his heart drop into his stomach.

 

  LUCIUS MALFOY FACES LIFE IN AZKABAN IN LIGHT OF NEW CHARGES!

 

“I knew it was coming!” Ron declared.

 

Harry didn’t respond. He snatched the newspaper from Hermione’s grip, ignoring her protests, and began to read the main part of the article.

 

   This evening, Head Auror Rufus Scrimgeour announced that Lucius Malfoy, 39, would be facing a retrial for crimes committed during the last wizarding war. Malfoy was sentenced to twenty years in Azkaban in July of this year for possession of Dark artefacts, assault of a Ministry employee, and perverting of the course of justice following the discovery of numerous Dark artefacts in the basement of his Wiltshire home during a Ministry raid.

 

  Malfoy, previously esteemed philanthropist and special advisor to the Minister for Magic Cornelius Fudge, was acquitted of numerous crimes following the downfall of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named in early 1982 by reason of diminished responsibility. He claimed to have committed these crimes under the influence of the Imperius Curse, but recent developments have cast aspersions on this argument. The so-called ‘house of horrors’ discovered in the basement of Malfoy Manor contained numerous enchanted torture devices used on Aurors during the wizarding war, books of dangerous curses that Malfoy was renowned for during his service as a Death Eater, and a collection of cursed and deformed skulls belonging to a series of Muggles and Muggleborns who went missing during the war. It fails to paint the picture of an innocent man acting under duress.

 

  Malfoy has now been charged with a slew of crimes, including terrorism, serving He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, murder through an Unforgivable Curse, torture through an Unforgivable Curse, mind manipulation, espionage…

 

“Bloody hell, this list is long!” Harry said. The charges laid out were so numerous that Harry’s eyes were actually starting to go a bit funny.

 

“I can’t believe he managed to wriggle his way out of this before!” Hermione exclaimed. “All he had to do was say he was under the influence of the Imperius Curse?”

 

“It happened a lot more than you’d think in the trials, you know,” Ron informed them. “It makes my dad furious. He always says if you have enough friends in the right places and money in your Gringotts vault, you can do however you please…”

 

   …Malfoy was thought to be a trusted member of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named’s inner circle. Some of the most heinous crimes he was allegedly responsible for include the torture and murder of at least a dozen Muggle children residing in a London orphanage, the murder of Auror Edgar Bones during the Battle of Suffolk, and the use of Fiendfyre on a residence containing three Muggleborn Hogwarts students. 

 

  Minister Fudge, pictured below in attendance at a New Year gala held in Malfoy Manor earlier this year, has come under fire for his close connections to such a prolific criminal…

 

Harry stopped reading and looked up at the sound of loud commotion at the Slytherin table. He noticed that a pink-faced Draco was currently storming out of the Great Hall. Every single student seemed to be either pointing at him or discussing him loudly.

 

Harry glanced up to the staff table and realised Snape was absent. Before he could stop himself, Harry jumped to his feet.

 

“Harry, what are you -”

 

“I’ll meet you in a bit,” Harry said quickly, sprinting through the Great Hall to try and catch up to Draco. He didn’t quite know why he was following the other boy - after all, Draco had made it more than clear that he wanted absolutely nothing to do with Harry - but nonetheless, Harry’s feet carried him onward. It was the same sort of feeling that had brought him to Draco’s aid when those older Slytherins had been attacking him: a sense of duty.

 

Harry couldn’t just leave Draco in a time like this - that would be unforgivable. There was no one else in the world to help him right now, and Harry owed him that support.

 

He squared his shoulders and began the descent into the dungeons.

To be continued...
Reconciliation by aspionage

Draco was surprisingly fast. Harry was beginning to develop a rather painful stitch in his right side as he continued to follow Draco into the depths of the dungeons, just barely managing to keep pace. Only the occasional flash of blonde as he rounded a corner informed Harry that he was headed in the correct direction.

 

At last, Draco turned into a place with a dead end - a boys’ lavatory. After sprinting the length of the corridor, Harry hesitated outside for a moment before hurrying inside, not caring about the possible consequences. Harry immediately caught sight of Draco’s face as he stood hunched over the sink, reflected in a broken mirror. The tears on his cheeks glistened in the dim light. If that wasn’t a clear enough sign that he was crying, the sobs echoing off the walls certainly were. Harry felt something clench uncomfortably in his chest.

 

Draco’s sobs abruptly cut off. He had to have noticed the sound of a door opening. Draco turned around, saw Harry, and his face quickly twisted into a scowl. Draco raised his wand, which Harry hadn’t even realised he was holding.

 

“GET - OUT!” he screeched, so loudly it hurt Harry’s ears. His words bounced and reverberated off the stone walls, so deafening that Harry couldn’t quite make out the words of the curse that ripped its way from Draco’s wand before the jet of purple light hit him. It smacked into Harry with the force of a car, throwing him backwards and into the wall with a resounding crash. Harry crumpled to the floor with a soundless gasp, the wind knocked out of him. It took him almost a minute to catch his breath and to do a quick scan of his body, where he realised that apart from a throbbing pain in the back of his head and a slight ache in his shoulder from the impact against the wall, Draco hadn’t actually tried to hurt him with that spell. He really was just trying to get Harry out.

 

Harry was about to make good on Draco’s screams and leave him be when he saw that Draco had started weeping again. Harry had seen people cry before, but never like this. Deep, ragged sobs tore out of him, punctuated by shallow gasps. It was almost like he was choking on his own pain. Harry had never seen someone this devastated…

 

And all of a sudden, several puzzle pieces in Harry’s mind seemed to click into place. Draco was trying to push him away, and he was testing to see if Harry would let himself be pushed away.

 

The cold, furious bully wasn't Draco Malfoy anymore - that was merely a mask. The heartbroken person in front of him who Harry had grown to understand in ways he'd never expected during August was the real person, and he was in pain. The silence, the anger, the hexing - Draco was hurt and upset, because he thought he couldn’t trust Harry. He was doing the same thing Harry had spent the last month doing with Snape and avoiding vulnerability to stop himself from getting hurt again. Draco was furious about what had happened to him, and he didn’t know what to do with all of that anger except push it outwards, to hurt other people, since that was all he’d been taught to do.

 

And because of that, Draco had alienated himself in the world.

 

Pity began to stir in Harry’s chest. This all really was quite horrible for Draco, wasn’t it? No parents, no friends, his entire former life stripped away in one fell swoop… no wonder he was angry. No wonder he wasn’t handling it well.

 

A small voice - Snape’s voice - whispered in Harry’s head, reminding him of a long-ago conversation. Maybe it would be best to offer something of an olive branch. For both your sakes.

 

Harry had rejected Snape’s suggestion originally, but now he knew the man was right. Someone had to make an effort to bridge the divide, and this time it ought to be him. Harry had spent his early years believing that there wasn't a person in the world who cared about him, and it had broken something in him in ways he couldn't quite explain. No matter what, Harry couldn’t participate in that being done to another person. Even if what Draco had done last week had hurt Harry, even if they were fighting, he clearly needed someone to forgive him and be there for him in his time of need.

 

So, before he could talk himself out of what was surely a foolish idea, Harry marched forwards and hugged Draco.

 

Harry’s entire experience with hugs consisted of occasional ones initiated by friends over the course of the past two years, since the Dursleys had never once hugged Harry. He wasn't entirely sure if he'd ever actually tried to hug someone unprompted before, since whenever Harry had tried to hug Aunt Petunia as a small child he'd be shoved away with a disgusted glare. As a result, Harry didn't really know what he was supposed to do with his arms or hands, which felt overly awkward and conspicuous as he wrapped them around Draco, so he sort of linked them together and hoped for the best. Moments after he did it, Harry braced himself, fairly certain that Draco was going to body slam him to the ground for even daring to do something this idiotically affectionate. God, what was Harry thinking?

 

But Draco didn’t attack Harry. At first he tensed, but after a few moments, his arms came around Harry’s middle. He actually buried his face in Harry’s shoulder and began to cry into his robes. Harry stared around the toilets awkwardly, unsure of where to go from here.

 

What did you say to someone whose father was almost guaranteed a life sentence in Azkaban, anyway? ‘Sorry’ didn’t quite seem to cut it, and it would also be a lie, since Harry was firmly convinced that Lucius Malfoy deserved to spend the rest of his life in a prison cell. ‘There there’? Harry was not an expert in comforting crying people, he was rapidly realising. Maybe he just should have just hunted down Snape or something…

 

Well, Snape was generally horrified by even the slightest hint of tears, so Harry wasn’t sure he’d be able to come up with anything better.

 

In the end, Harry just settled for standing there silently and patting Draco’s shoulder every now and then. He hoped the contact could impart all of the things he wanted to say but couldn’t find the words for. Draco seemed accepting of it, at any rate. He kept his face hidden in Harry's robes for a very long time, and his arms held onto Harry with the strength of a boa constrictor. Harry just hoped he was helping.

 

Draco eventually surfaced from Harry’s robes, his face blotchy and his eyes red. “Why are you even bothering with me?” he rasped. “I’m horrible."

 

That first question made something in Harry’s heart seize uncomfortably, since he was fairly certain he’d shouted that exact phrase at Snape on a multitude of occasions. He was far too familiar with the jagged mass of pain that accompanied the words.

 

“You're not horrible," Harry said firmly. "Er - I'm really sorry, Draco. I mean it. I've been so sorry this whole time -"

 

"I'm sorry, too," Draco said hoarsely. "I was being such a prat!"

 

"I started it, though, then all the stuff in Flourish and Blotts -"

 

"But I shouldn't have said that stuff about your secrets," Draco said, his cheeks pinkening. "I know I shouldn't have, I just wanted to make you as angry as I was… Severus had me scrubbing cauldrons all weekend for it!"

 

"He assigned me a stupidly long essay," Harry said with a knowing smile.

 

"I wouldn't have actually done it, you know," Draco said quickly. "I just wanted to hurt you back. I would never do that, never."

 

"I know."

 

Harry truly believed him. If Draco was going to do something, he'd have revealed all he knew about the Dursleys during the actual fight. Harry tilted his head and shuffled his feet hesitantly. "So… friends?"

 

"Yeah. Friends." Draco nodded rather jerkily, and if he hadn’t looked so thoroughly miserable the curl of his lips could almost be construed as a smile.

 

Draco pulled out of Harry’s arms and sat down on the floor with his back against the wall. Feeling generally like you shouldn’t leave someone alone when they were this upset, Harry took a seat next to him and stared at the door that led to the hallway. If someone walked in and saw this they’d be all sorts of confused, Harry thought.

 

“I didn’t want to be angry with you,” Draco whispered, not looking at Harry. “I realised you didn’t send it recently, eventually, but it was from Weasley, of all people, and - everything is just so hard!”

 

Draco drew his knees close to his chest and hid his face. Harry awkwardly reached an arm out and placed it on his shoulder.

 

“Look, don’t worry about it. Honestly.” After a moment of hesitation, Harry asked, “What’s your problem with Ron, though?”

 

Draco made an angry growling noise. “I just can’t stand stupid Weasley, okay?”

 

“Why?” Harry asked. “I don’t get it! What has he done to you that I haven’t?”

 

“Are you forgetting about his father?” Draco demanded. He at last lifted his head and scowled at Harry. “He’s the one who authorised the search that jailed my parents!”

 

“But that isn't Ron's fault!” Harry protested.

 

“Well he’s not exactly put out about it, is he?”

 

“But don’t you think that hating Ron for stuff his dad does is the same as when people are mean to you for things your parents did?” Harry pointed out.

 

Draco abruptly broke eye contact and started staring at the ground. He was silent for several moments. “I hadn’t thought about it that way. Damn you, Potter!”

 

“What?”

 

“You just always have to go and make things more complicated, don’t you?” Draco muttered, burying his face in his knees again.

 

Oops. Harry cringed as he heard a sniffle, and realised that Draco was crying again. A feeling of slight panic crept over Harry. He hadn’t meant to set him off… What was he meant to do now? Upon closer examination, he also realised that Draco’s knuckles were reddened and bleeding. Harry glanced up to the shattered mirror on the wall, realised that Draco must have punched it, and felt the panic worsen. He had forgotten about Draco's destructive tendencies when he got upset, where he flew into a violent rage without any control over his actions. What was he supposed to do if Draco started punching stuff, or throwing things like he had on Harry’s second day at Spinner’s End? Harry couldn’t think of a single thing to do other than keep his arm around Draco’s shoulder, hoping it would provide any kind of clearly-needed comfort.

 

“I hate them,” Draco whispered, his voice thick with emotion. “I hate them, and I hate Father! Why did he have to do this?"

 

Draco's voice broke and his sniffles began to climb in frequency. Harry just didn't know what to say. He had never felt so helpless.

 

Moments later, the door burst open. Harry snapped his head towards it, expecting an irate Slytherin to harass him for daring to be down in the dungeons. Instead, a familiar flurry of black robes graced his sight, and Harry’s shoulders sagged with relief. Snape was here at last, and Harry had never been so happy to see him.

 

Snape took in the scene before him quickly, eyes darting across the room. He looked from Draco’s hunched form to Harry, whose arm was still around Draco’s shoulders, and his mouth actually fell open slightly. Harry quickly withdrew his hand and shot Snape a look, as if to say, what else was I meant to do?!

 

Snape seemed to recover his wits quickly and hurried forwards. He crouched down at Draco’s side, took his bloodied hand and muttered some healing spells that restored it to the proper state. He shook his head.

 

"We've discussed this, haven't we?" Snape's tone was chiding, but there was no real heat behind it. "Mindscapes, Draco, especially in times like this."

 

Harry didn't have the faintest clue what Snape was talking about, but Draco nodded without looking up. Snape remained crouched at Draco's side, watching him intently - for what, Harry wasn't sure. Over a minute later, Snape finally spoke.

 

“Let’s not sit in here,” he said quietly. “Why don’t we head to my quarters, where you can have some privacy?”

 

Draco got to his feet almost mechanically. His limbs moved jerkily, like he wasn’t in complete control of their course, and his head remained bowed. Snape put one arm around his shoulder and used his free hand to crook a finger at Harry. “You. Come.”

 

Harry almost immediately decided he was somehow in trouble for something, but quickly did his best to dispel that impression as he followed Snape through the dungeons. He spent the entire journey steering Draco in the right direction, as the other boy seemed completely lost in thought and unable to navigate. Harry trailed slightly behind them, unsure what his place in all this was. Why hadn’t Draco immediately insisted upon Harry being sent away when Snape arrived? Goodness knew Harry wouldn’t want Draco to see him so upset - or anyone, really…

 

Harry’s musings were cut short as they arrived at Snape’s office. He led them straight through, barely pausing to adjust his pace as he approached directly at a bookshelf behind his desk. To Harry’s shock, the shelf sprang to one side as Snape strode towards it, revealing a mahogany door with a polished golden handle. Snape held one hand on the top of the doorknob for a few seconds, and it abruptly glowed green. The door swung open, and the three of them stepped into the quarters within.

 

Compared to Snape’s office, which was dark, cold and full of creepy dead things in jars, his quarters were actually rather nice. The whole place was made of the same dark stone as the rest of the dungeons, but the walls were almost entirely covered by bookshelves, and the floors were carpeted by a variety of green and silver rugs. Harry wasn’t surprised by the Slytherin colours.

 

Unlike the small, claustrophobic rooms that characterised Spinner’s End, Snape’s quarters were wide open and spacious. They had entered into a living room with leather furniture surrounding a crackling fire, which led into a dining room with a reasonably large wooden table. There was also a small kitchenette, which didn’t contain much more than a few cupboards and a sink. Harry supposed Snape didn't need to cook when all meals were served in the Great Hall. There was an open door adjoining the dining room, through which Harry could just about make out the shape of a few cauldrons, and a small hallway which Harry suspected led to Snape’s bedroom.

 

The whole place generally felt a lot more lived in than Spinner’s End did. There were decorations, like a painting of a stormy sea, several half-read books lying around and oddly enough, a wicker basket full of cat toys that had been pushed beneath the stool of an upright piano at the left of the fireplace.

 

“Harry, are you going to sit down, or are you going to stand in the middle of the room interminably?” Snape asked sharply. Harry jolted back to awareness and realised that Snape and Draco had sat down on the sofa. Well, Snape was seated. Draco had just curled in on himself again, feet drawn onto the cushions, head buried in his knees. Harry quickly joined them, although he left a decent gap between himself, Snape and Draco. He didn’t want to intrude.

 

From there, they proceeded to sit in dead silence for twenty minutes.

 

Harry knew twenty minutes had passed because he continually glanced at the clock on the mantelpiece, which was ticking down the seconds with almost painful sluggishness. He wasn’t entirely sure what he was supposed to be doing here, but every time Harry opened his mouth to ask a question, Snape cut him off with a violent shake of his head. In the end, Harry resigned himself to accept the quiet until either Snape or Draco broke it, and occupied himself with the matter of picking at a hangnail and thinking.

 

Harry wasn’t even sure what he’d do or say if the silence ever lifted, though. Draco’s father facing life in prison wasn’t something that could be fixed with comforting words or a reassurance that things would be alright since in all likelihood, they wouldn’t be. In fact, the stifling, unbearable tension in the room reminded Harry horribly of the atmosphere amongst the Weasleys last June, when they’d thought Ginny was dead in the Chamber of Secrets. Percy, Fred, George and Ron had all gone a ghostly white under their freckles, eyes dead, shoulders hunched. Harry had hovered on the fringes of their grief, feeling completely powerless.

 

But there had been something he could do. There was a Chamber of Secrets to discover, a living Ginny to save, and a solution to the problem. There was absolutely nothing Harry could do to fix the issue of Lucius Malfoy.

 

Draco was grieving, that much was clear. Even though Lucius Malfoy wasn’t actually dead, if he got condemned to life in Azkaban, that probably would kill him. Harry remembered Hagrid after he’d returned from Azkaban, all shaken and drained, and he also remembered the stories Hagrid had told of what it was like there. The dementors drove people mad within months. The Malfoy from prison certainly wouldn’t be anything like the father Draco knew with a bit of time…

 

At long last, muffled speech began to come from the crumpled ball that was Draco. “They took all of our money. He won’t be able to afford a decent solicitor, will he?”

 

Snape wrapped an arm around Draco’s shoulders, a surprisingly affectionate gesture for someone who Harry often thought of as quite closed off. “The Ministry is legally obligated to provide him with a public defender.”

 

Draco choked out a hoarse, disbelieving laugh. “A public defender! Well, that will certainly get him off those terrorism charges…”

 

He at last lifted his head, eyes so red and puffy you could scarcely see the grey colour of his eyes.

 

“I really believed it, Severus,” he whispered. “I honestly thought he’d been under the Imperius Curse the whole time, that he hadn’t wanted to serve the Dark Lord… but he lied, didn’t he? Father really did all of those awful things they put in the article.”

 

Snape didn’t respond. He gave Draco an immensely sad look.

 

“Please be honest with me,” Draco said quietly.

 

Snape hesitated before he spoke. “You have to understand that the Prophet sensationalises these things. While Lucius may have participated in what they listed, he was not single handedly responsible -”

 

“Severus, please,” Draco interrupted. “That’s not - it doesn’t matter. Was he Cursed, or did he do it willingly? I need to be certain, and I’d rather hear it from you, Severus. You’d know more than anyone.”

 

Snape paused for a moment, and then slowly nodded. “I don’t have any reason to believe he acted under duress in the war. I’m sorry, Draco.”

 

Harry was incredibly confused, as he still wasn’t entirely sure what the Imperius Curse did or why Snape would know more than anyone if Lucius Malfoy was under it. As Draco’s face had just crumpled into a look of abject despair, he made a mental note to ask Snape about it at a later time.

 

“I’m so stupid!” Draco hissed, pressing the heels of his palms into his eyes. “How did I not put it together? Why didn’t I realise that if he agreed with all of the Dark Lord’s ideals, he was probably following him willingly? I believed - I wanted to believe he couldn’t do the things people said he did, and I feel like a complete fool! Why did I believe him?”

 

“It can be… hard to accept certain things about our fathers,” Snape said slowly. “We automatically idolise them, and see ourselves in them. When they fail to meet our expectations, it can be immeasurably hurtful.”

 

“I don’t particularly like Muggles, but… these things are so violent,” Draco whispered. He pulled a newspaper out of his robes and wrenched it open. “Torture? Murder of Ministry officials? And - and the stuff about the children -”

 

“Don’t keep reading it,” Snape said firmly, taking the newspaper from Draco’s grasp and thrusting it at Harry. He quickly shoved it down the side of the sofa so it was hidden from view. “Reading it over and over isn’t going to undo what Lucius did.”

 

“But how could he do these things to someone?” Draco’s voice was so pained it actually made Harry wince. “I mean… Muggles can’t fight back!”

 

“When you become so blinded by prejudice, it becomes easier to forget such things,” Snape said heavily. “That is why I’m so insistent on you confronting your own thoughts on Muggles and Muggleborns. This is where that sort of bigotry can lead.”

 

“It doesn’t matter if what I think has changed, though,” Draco whispered. “Everyone thinks I’m just like my father, so what’s the point of trying?”

 

“Because it’s the right thing to do.”

 

Draco slumped in on himself and lapsed into pensive silence for several more long minutes before he jolted up like he’d had a sudden realisation. His eyes were bright with sheer desperation. “I can’t face them, Severus, I can’t. Please don’t make me go back into the dungeons, please…”

 

Snape nodded, although the reluctance on his face was obvious. “Just for tonight, I suppose you can stay here.”

 

“Thank you,” Draco said quietly, bowing his head. While he did so, Harry stared wide-eyed at Snape, hoping he’d pick up on the fact that Harry had something to tell him.

 

“Are you alright here for a moment, Draco?” Snape asked. “I need a quick word with Harry in my study.”

 

Draco nodded, and pulled himself up. “Right. Yes. I should probably clean up and wash my face in the meantime…”

 

“We’ll return soon.”

 

For the first time ever Harry was immensely grateful for Snape’s ability to read him. Both of them got to their feet and made their way into Snape’s office, only stopping to pick up the abandoned newspaper. When the door shut behind them, Snape waved his wand at it in a circular motion.

 

“Privacy Charm,” he explained, setting the newspaper down on his desk. “I see the two of you have made up?”

 

“I think so,” Harry said. “I hope so, at least.”

 

Snape nodded briskly, looking slightly relieved. “So, why did you call me in here?”

 

“Um…” Harry shuffled his feet and bit his lip, unsure if what he was about to reveal would break his and Draco’s fragile new truce again.

 

“Spit it out, Harry, I don’t have all day!” Snape said exasperatedly.

 

“I just don’t want him to be annoyed at me for telling you,” Harry said, wrapping his arms around himself.

 

“And that comment has just solidified the fact that you are not leaving this office until you tell me precisely what is going on with him,” Snape said in a low voice. He took a step forward so that he took up Harry’s entire eyeline.

 

Harry groaned. “But we just made up!”

 

“I will do my best to hide that this information comes from you - I give you my word,” Snape said, tapping his finger against the side of his desk. “I must insist you tell me, Harry. I get the impression this is rather serious?”

 

Harry nodded and sucked in a breath. “Er - theSlytherinsarekindabullyinghim.”

 

“I beg your pardon?” Snape asked, giving Harry an exasperated look. “Slow down.”

 

“The Slytherins are bullying him,” he said reluctantly. “Some older ones. I saw them in the dungeons after I had detention, hexing him and stuff…”

 

“Indeed.” Snape’s eyes darkened. “And why didn’t you inform me of this as soon as you witnessed it?”

 

“Erm - well, we kind of got into an argument because I fought them off him and he didn’t like that,” Harry admitted. “But look, I’m telling you now, aren’t I?”

 

Snape sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. “I suppose you are… well, thank you for bringing this to my attention. Why are you doing so now, though?”

 

“I just thought it might explain why he didn’t want to go back to the dungeons,” Harry said. “I obviously don’t see what’s going on in the common room but I bet it’s miserable for him. None of his housemates speak to him in lessons anymore and Hermione said he’s in the library all the time, nowadays. I think he’s hiding.”

 

Snape’s face became rather grim. “I am inclined to agree, unfortunately…”

 

“He’s really not having a good time of it right now, sir,” Harry said quietly.

 

“He certainly is not.” Snape sighed again, and Harry was abruptly struck by how exhausted he looked. “I must say, Harry, I am proud of how you came to his aid today, despite your numerous differences.”

 

Harry couldn’t help it - he smiled. The words Snape had spoken had sent a warm glow spreading throughout his chest. He hadn’t helped Draco just to make Snape proud, of course, but it was remarkably nice to hear all the same.

 

“It seemed like the right thing to do,” he said eventually.

 

“Some people are less scrupulous than you are,” Snape said with a shake of his head. “Now unfortunately, I cannot be around at all hours of the day, and I know that Slytherins can be particularly vicious. They will not rat each other out to me, and I highly doubt Draco will tell me who has been mistreating him. Therefore, I may have to offer a more drastic measure.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“I may suggest he moves into my quarters until after the trial takes place,” Snape said, tapping a finger against his chin thoughtfully.

 

Harry gave Snape a surprised look. “That’s allowed?”

 

“As I’m his guardian, yes,” Snape explained. “It’s not entirely uncommon in cases where students have a parent on staff, as a matter of fact. Professor Sprout’s daughter stayed with her instead of in the Hufflepuff dormitories many years ago due to some personal issues, and I know Professor Sinistra’s son will sometimes stay with his mother in her quarters.”

 

That surprised Harry a little. He supposed he’d never really thought about the families Hogwarts professors had, since they lived in the school.

 

“Why are you telling me?” Harry asked with a frown.

 

“We three are rather interlinked, now,” Snape said. “You, like Draco, are my ward, so you both ought to accept a degree of involvement in one another’s affairs. Perhaps if we all spoke more it would prevent conflicts like the one that arose because of that letter.”

 

Harry winced. “Yeah…”

 

“I also need to request something of you because of these circumstances,” Snape added.

 

Harry looked at him thoughtfully. “What is it?”

 

“Due to my duties in the school, I’m often not in my quarters,” Snape said. “I cannot entirely cut back on my responsibilities to amend that, so there will often be stretches where he is alone. I don’t wish for him to become a complete recluse, so would you occasionally come and visit here?”

 

Harry’s eyebrows furrowed. “I mean we’ve made up, but we’re not exactly best friends. I don’t think he’d even want me there…”

 

Snape looked at Harry for a long moment. “Draco is a lot more fond of you than he would ever care to admit, Harry. I would have happily sent you from my quarters if he had requested it, which he certainly would have insisted upon if he truly didn't desire your presence, but he chose to have you here. That means something.”

 

“Oh.” Harry still felt a bit confused. He supposed Draco had said he hadn’t wanted to be angry at Harry this whole time, but he often seemed to go between great extremes of like and hatred when it came to people. Honestly, Harry had just assumed up until now that Draco merely tolerated him. Perhaps he’d enjoyed their time together over the summer just as much as Harry had, then…

 

“I’ll come down sometimes,” Harry promised. “Is he going to be alright eventually?”

 

“I hope so,” Snape said, steepling his fingers. “I’m sure you can imagine that the next few months are going to be remarkably difficult for him, given the publicity of the case.”

 

“Definitely.” Harry’s brow furrowed. “What’s the Imperius Curse again? Ron’s mentioned it a couple times but I’m never quite sure.”

 

“An Unforgivable Curse that allows the caster to have complete control over the actions of the victim,” Snape explained. “Lucius claimed that the Dark Lord used the Imperius Curse on him in the war. A lie, of course.”

 

Harry frowned. “And how are you so sure? Why did Draco say you’d know more than anyone if his dad was under it?”

 

Snape hesitated for a long time before responding. “I… I have known Lucius for a very long time. Now, I assume there is a rather large stack of unfinished homework sitting in some neglected corner of Gryffindor Tower? Including, perhaps, that Polyjuice essay?”

 

Confused by the sudden change of topic, Harry couldn’t convincingly look like that wasn’t true. Snape made a disapproving noise. “You ought to go and attend to that, then.”

 

He frowned. “But what about -”

 

“Draco will be fine,” Snape said. “At any rate, I need to discuss the new living arrangements I’ve planned with him.”

 

“Er - does he know about the Polyjuice thing?” Harry asked hesitantly.

 

“I informed him after we spoke.” Snape scowled. “Polyjuice - of all the things…”

 

Harry winced. He got the sudden, unshakeable impression that Snape was never going to let that one go.

 

“Now, go and say goodbye to Draco, and I’ll show you the second entrance to my quarters,” Snape said, heading for the door.

 

“There’s a second entrance?”

 

“Yes, behind a portrait of a snake in the corridor outside,” Snape explained. “It would be imprudent for you to go in and out of my office constantly, since it’s often in use. I’ll also show Draco.”

 

“Er - and you won’t mention that I told you about those older students?” Harry said quickly as Snape turned on his heel to leave.

 

“I won’t,” he said. “I’ll come up with some sort of alternate reason, and ensure he has no suspicions towards you. Now, follow me.”

 

He strode back through the office door, and Harry closely followed. Draco didn’t even look up as they walked in. His hair and face were slightly damp, like he’d stuck his head directly under a tap.

 

“Come over here, Draco,” Snape said, striding through the stone archway into his second office. “I want to show you both how to get in and out of here without using my office.”

 

Harry followed Snape, and could hear Draco’s footsteps rapping on the stone floors as he trailed behind. Snape stopped them both next to an oddly square doorway and got out his wand.

 

“Your hands, please.”

 

Harry and Draco both extended their hands. Snape tapped his wand to both of their palms and waved his wand in a zigzagging motion in front of the square door, which made the handle glow green. “There. You’re both keyed into my wards, but you’ll still need a password. At the moment, it is ‘asphodel’, although I change it regularly and will alert you when I do so. Simply say it to the portrait of a snake to the left of my office door, and you’ll be allowed entry.”

 

“Alright,” Harry said as Snape put his wand away.

 

“You ought to be going, Harry.”

 

“Right.” He turned to the miserable-looking Draco and hesitated, struggling to find the right words. “I’m sorry you’re going through this."

 

“So am I,” Draco said dully.

 

“I’ll come and see you soon,” Harry promised. “Bye."

 

Draco simply nodded at him and didn’t respond as Harry walked through the square doorway. As it turned out, it was shaped in that way because it was actually a portrait on a hinge, which swung open like the Fat Lady did as Harry clambered through.

 

When the portrait swung shut, an oil painting of a cobra observed him malevolently. “I see my sleep will just constantly be disturbed in this wretched place…”

 

“Er - sorry,” Harry said, before quickly beginning to make his way back out of the dungeons and up to Gryffindor Tower. He couldn’t help but feel like Snape had rushed him out because of the questions Harry had been asking. Just how closely involved was Snape with Lucius, anyway, and why did he not want to talk about it?

 

Luckily for Harry, the Fat Lady was far less offended by being asked to actually do her job, and let Harry in with minimal sniping. As soon as he entered the common room, Ron and Hermione began frantically waving him over. Harry winced as he went to join them in their usual armchairs, only then realising that he’d sprinted out of the Great Hall without giving them any sort of explanation.

 

“Where did you go?” Ron demanded. “One minute we were all eating, the next we saw you running out of the Great Hall!”

 

“Er - sorry,” Harry said, awkwardly scratching the back of his neck. “Don’t worry about that, it was nothing.”

 

“It didn’t look like nothing!” Ron said. “You absolutely legged it.”

 

“It almost looked like you were running after Malfoy,” Hermione said, brow creased.

 

“Er,” Harry said, feeling slightly panicked.

 

Hermione’s expression instantly morphed into one of horror. “Were you?!”

 

“I mean - after that article and everything, he seemed so upset…”

 

“Mate, why would you even care?” Ron demanded. “It’s Malfoy!”

 

“Well I didn’t see anyone else going after him!” Harry protested. “Someone had to!”

 

“But why does that have to be you?” Ron hissed. “He’s a right git! Why would you ever bother being nice to the likes of him?”

 

“Because if I’m bloody well living with him for the next few summers, I’d rather not be at his throat all the time!” Harry said angrily. “All the fighting is completely exhausting, it’s just easier to get on with him, alright? Can you just leave it?”

 

When Harry finished, neither Hermione or Ron spoke. They were staring at him, mouths agape.

 

“Harry…” Hermione said slowly. “What do you mean you’re living with Malfoy for the next few summers?”

 

Harry groaned and buried his face in his hands. He couldn’t believe that had just slipped out!

 

“I’d kind of like to know that, too,” Ron added.

 

“This wasn’t how I wanted to tell you, but yeah,” Harry said heavily. “Er - so you know how I mentioned Snape found out about the Dursleys? Well… um, because of all that he’s been put as my guardian.”

 

“What?” Ron demanded.

 

“That’s awful!” Hermione exclaimed.

 

“No, don’t worry,” Harry said quickly. “I don’t mind that much, honestly. He’s way better than the Dursleys were, at any rate.”

 

This comment did not seem to alleviate Ron and Hermione’s fears. If anything, their expressions grew more concerned.

 

“Harry,” Hermione said timidly. “That’s not a good standard to judge by.”

 

“This is Snape!” Ron added. “He’s been bullying you in classes for the last two years! He’s just going to abuse his power -”

 

“He’s changed,” Harry interrupted. “I meant it when I said he was decent to me this summer. If I had a problem with this I’d tell you!”

 

“But why didn't you tell us about this sooner, Harry?” Hermione asked, her eyes crinkled with worry. “That sort of makes me think you do have a problem with it!”

 

“It wasn’t because of anything bad, it was just because I’m still trying to get my head around it all myself, okay?” Harry said. “I know how weird this all sounds, but I’m not bothered by the whole situation. Besides, there weren’t any other options!”

 

“But Harry, my parents would have agreed to let you stay with them in a heartbeat!” Ron said, his face falling. “They’re an option!”

 

“Dumbledore didn’t agree, apparently,” Harry said wearily. “I don’t think Snape would have agreed to get stuck with me if there was someone else, anyway. It’s just the way things are. But look, it’s really not bad. We get on now.”

 

Ron and Hermione did not look particularly impressed by this, still. They had started to exchange dark looks which only served to irritate Harry, who felt like all of his answers were woefully inadequate. He didn’t know how to explain all of it - how Snape had been the first person to ever bother taking care of him properly, how he hated making Snape angry and felt happy when Snape said he was proud earlier, and as much as he wanted to say it aloud, Harry couldn’t find the words to tell Ron and Hermione that he actually liked Snape now.

 

Still, part of Harry didn’t think he should have to justify it at all. Why couldn’t they just trust him when he said he was fine?

 

“Also, you can’t tell anyone about this,” Harry said eventually. “The only other people who know are the Hogwarts staff and I think your parents, Ron. People at the Ministry apparently might start bidding for my custody if they found out I don’t have a guardian, so you cannot tell anyone else, alright? You have to promise.”

 

“I promise,” Ron and Hermione both said together.

 

Hermione gave him a very sad look. “Oh, Harry!”

 

He scowled. “It’s really not that bad! I do know what a bad guardian looks like, and Snape’s not it, okay?”

 

“I know you know what a bad guardian looks like,” Hermione said slowly, “but would you know what a good one should do?”

 

“Yes,” Harry said, suddenly feeling incredibly frustrated. “Look, I’m fine, okay? Just stop worrying! I don’t know why you can’t just trust me!”

 

He stormed away to his dormitory without another word and drew the hangings tightly around his bed, feeling so frustrated. He knew this was going to develop into a really big problem. It seemed that the moment one aspect of Harry’s life finally came together, another was always destined to spectacularly fall apart.

To be continued...
Changes by aspionage

  Things between Harry and his friends remained frosty the morning after their discussion. Harry only exchanged a few terse words with Ron and Hermione as they made their way down to breakfast, where the looks on their faces only served to irritate Harry further. They were staring at him with a mixture of sympathy and concern that made his skin crawl.

 

  Harry wasn’t the only one not speaking, though. Ron and Hermione also seemed annoyed with each other, although judging from their sniping it was more to do with another Crookshanks on Scabbers assassination attempt. The three of them ate in near silence, all disgruntled. Harry was not particularly excited for a whole weekend of this…

 

  Harry had just about finished his food when he registered the sound of heels clicking on stone behind him. A throat was cleared. “Mr Potter?”

 

  He turned around and saw Professor McGonagall standing there. “Can I have a quick word with you in my office?”

 

  “Er - okay,” he said nervously, mentally raking through every possible thing he might have done wrong in the last few days to merit his Head of House’s attention.

 

  “You’re not in any trouble, just come with me.”

 

  The last time Harry had been summoned to Professor McGonagall’s office when he wasn’t in trouble he had needed to contend with the aftermath of the Dementor on the train, so that reassurance didn’t help alleviate his reluctance. Ron and Hermione both exchanged a look as he left the Great Hall, the first break in their silent treatment, which only worsened the sinking feeling in Harry’s stomach.

 

  Harry followed Professor McGonagall closely through the corridors and up a few staircases until he was once again inside her study. She gestured to the waiting chair next to her desk and settled across from Harry.

 

  “Now, Potter,” Professor McGonagall said, examining him over the top of her spectacles. “How are you?”

 

  “Um… fine?” Harry said hesitantly, completely nonplussed.

 

  “Are you quite sure?”

 

  “Yeah,” Harry said, furrowing his eyebrows. “Why?”

 

  “Your friends came to me this morning in some large amount of concern,” Professor McGonagall explained. “They seem to be taken with the impression that Professor Snape has been using his guardianship powers to mistreat you."

 

  Harry groaned loudly. “I told them everything was fine! Professor, they don’t know what they’re talking about -”

 

  “Needless to say, I still need to take their concerns seriously,” Professor McGonagall said with a frown. “I’d been meaning to check in with you, at any rate. I believe Severus told you the Headmaster instructed me to?”

 

  “He did, but I promise, everything is fine!” Harry insisted. “They have no reason to be worried.”

 

  “Nevertheless, I must ask,” Professor McGonagall said, looking slightly sympathetic. “I am painfully aware I may have neglected some of my duties towards you previously, and I refuse to do so again.”

 

  Harry sighed, and his shoulders slumped. “If I’m fine with him as a guardian, I don’t see why they can’t believe me.”

 

  “Miss Granger seemed to disagree,” Professor McGonagall said. “She was highly concerned, and mentioned you were complaining about him at length towards the start of term. She seems to think your current staunch defence of him is a result of your worries you’ll be returned to your relatives -”

 

  “That’s not true!” Harry said indignantly. “I mean - unless Snape sends me back I’m done with them, aren’t I?”

 

  He couldn’t help the hint of anxiety creeping into his tone. Professor McGonagall knew Snape reasonably well, so she might know Snape was planning to get rid of him or something -

 

  “You will not be sent back under any circumstances, Mr Potter,” Professor McGonagall said sharply. “Even if things with Professor Snape aren’t going well. You can tell me, you know, if you aren’t getting along.”

 

  “I mean - I was a bit angry at him at the start of term, but it was just over normal stuff, not because he’s abusing me or something!” Harry said, horrified. “Besides, people complain about their guardians all the time! Ron goes on about his mum and dad loads, and so does Hermione, and I’m not going to you about that and saying the Grangers and Weasleys are mistreating them, am I?” The anxiety was worsening into a chest-squeezing kind of panic. “Is Snape angry about something? Is that why you’re asking me about all this? Does he want to get rid of me, or -”

 

  “Don’t panic, Mr Potter,” Professor McGonagall said with a shake of her head. “I’m not accusing Professor Snape of anything. I’m simply asking a few questions.”

 

  “Er - right,” Harry muttered, staring at the ground. He felt his cheeks heat up. “Sorry.”

 

  “Have a biscuit.” She handed over the tin. Harry selected a ginger newt and nibbled on it, still feeling rather annoyed and worried.

 

  “Professor Snape is not going to ‘get rid of you’, as you put it,” she added. “That’s not what this is about. I’m following up on the concerns of Granger and Weasley - nothing more.”

 

  Harry huffed. “There’s nothing to follow up on. They’re being stupid.”

 

  “Your friends are just worried about you, Potter,” Professor McGonagall said chidingly. “This all comes from a place of care, not spite.”

 

  “Well if they really cared, they wouldn’t be trying to screw up what I have with my first decent guardian!” Harry said crossly. “They seem to think I’m an idiot or something, but if Snape was still being horrible to me, I’d honestly say something!”

 

  “Would you?”

 

  “Yes!” he insisted. “I promise! But he’s actually really good, professor, you saw in the summer! He sorted out all of my clothes, and dealt with all the stuff with the Dursleys, and he actually talks to me, you know? About my mum, and about me, and he wouldn’t do that if he still didn’t like me. We really are getting on. If he was still mistreating me, I’d jump at the chance to get away, wouldn’t I?”

 

  “And has he stopped badmouthing James?” Professor McGonagall asked severely.

 

  “I wouldn’t like living with a man who badmouths my father,” Harry said firmly. “The only one of my parents he talks about is my mum. It’s honestly okay, professor. Things are fine, I promise!”

 

  Professor McGonagall gave him a thin-lipped smile. “Well, that’s very good to hear, then. I’m pleased you both learned to get along. I did try to reassure Granger and Weasley of Severus’ character, but I’m sure you can understand why your friends would be concerned despite that.”

 

  Harry sighed, since he still thought they were being a bit ridiculous.

 

  “Nothing is going to come of this, Potter,” Professor McGonagall added. “I simply had to check in after such accusations were levelled. You understand that, don’t you?”

 

  “Yeah,” Harry said wearily. He remembered Snape going on about ‘duty of care’ and a bunch of other stuff when he’d found out about the Dursleys, and supposed this fell under that umbrella.

 

  “Very well. That will be all, then,” Professor McGonagall said. “Perhaps you should go and reassure your friends. I did my best to allay their fears, but I’m sure such things may be better received from you.”

 

  “Alright, I will,” Harry said, pushing his chair back. Truth be told he was just planning to have a go at them, but Professor McGonagall didn’t need to know that.

 

  “Oh, and Potter?” Harry paused and turned around to look at Professor McGonagall. Her face had suddenly grown rather drawn. “For… for what it’s worth, on the night your parents died, I did my best to persuade the Headmaster that your relatives were unfit to raise a magical child. I was unsuccessful, but I did try.”

 

  “Oh.” Harry rubbed the back of his neck and stared at her for a long moment. “Don’t worry about it, professor. I don’t have to see them again, anyway. It’s fine.”

 

  “All the same, I… I wish I’d done more,” she said tightly.

 

    I wish you had, too. Harry pushed the bitter thought away and shook himself. There were at least a dozen people who deserved to be blamed before Professor McGonagall for him staying with the Dursleys, and most of them were far less apologetic than the woman sitting in front of him. At least she’d tried something. And, he thought, she’d helped Snape lots with actually getting him away from Privet Drive on the paperwork side, hadn’t she?

 

  Harry couldn’t find a shred of anger in him.

 

  “It’s fine,” he said again, opening the door. “Er - bye, professor.”

 

  As he left, he didn’t miss Professor McGonagall dabbing her eyes with a hanky.

 

  Harry made a beeline from the office to Gryffindor Tower, and practically barked the password at the Fat Lady. As he stormed into the Gryffindor common room, blood fizzling with anger and lingering worry, he saw Hermione and Ron both sitting around the fireplace, discussing something in low tones. Clearly, they’d stopped giving one another the silent treatment. Ron and Hermione quickly noticed him stalking towards them and winced in unison.

 

  “What the bloody hell is wrong with you?” Harry demanded.

 

  “Harry -” Hermione started.

 

  “No!” he growled. “You don’t get to defend yourselves! You had no right to do that, no right! I told you things were fine, and you should have believed me instead of running off to McGonagall!”

 

  “We were just worried about you, mate!” Ron protested. “I’ve seen the horrible stuff you put up with in Surrey, and I didn’t want that to keep happening to you because I know what Snape’s like! You deserve better than that!”

 

  “He’s changed!” Harry said angrily. “Did that ever occur to you?! I wouldn’t put up with this if he was still the same old greasy git, I’m not stupid! You two are, apparently! Don’t you think Professor McGonagall knows all about this already? She was involved in all the stuff with getting me away from my relatives, and she approved me living with Snape! If you start whispering in her ear that Snape’s awful to me, you could screw up my actually decent relationship with my guardian! How could you do that to me?”

 

  “We weren’t doing it to be mean, Harry!” Hermione said. She was on the verge of tears. “We just couldn’t understand why you wouldn’t tell us about this before if there wasn’t something bad happening!”

 

  “Because this is all really hard for me, alright?” Harry said, crossing his arms. “I’m still trying to work out my own feelings about all of this, because it’s all so new and strange. I didn’t want to deal with all that and deal with you guys’ thoughts on Malfoy and Snape because I was worried you’d make it all harder, which I was obviously right about!”

 

  “It’s just weird, mate!” Ron insisted. “So fine, Snape’s changed. That’s hard enough to believe on its own, but Malfoy? He hexed me just last week for absolutely no reason, don’t you remember? Why would you actually want to live with someone who treats people like that?”

 

  “Snape doesn’t let him do that stuff,” Harry said quickly.

 

  “That’s not what I’m talking about!” Ron said, his voice growing louder. “You’re choosing to spend time with Malfoy, now, and that’s not normal for you! Has he brainwashed you or something? Are you forgetting what his dad did to my sister?”

 

  “Draco isn’t his father!” Harry said furiously. “That’s not fair!”

 

  “Oh, so he’s Draco now?” Ron’s voice was growing dangerous.

 

  “You don’t know what he thinks about Lucius Malfoy!” Harry hissed. “I do, and he’s never defended what his father did! It’s completely unfair to blame him for things he wasn’t even responsible for -”

 

  “And what about the things he’s done, Harry?” Hermione said in a shaky voice. “Are you forgetting that he does think Purebloods are superior to Muggleborns like Lucius? Are you forgetting how he called me a Mudblood?”

 

  Harry jolted back slightly at the look of utter hurt on Hermione’s face. Something twisted uncomfortably in his gut.

 

  “He said to our faces that he hoped the Basilisk killed Hermione, Harry!” Ron added. His ears had gone a deep red. “How could you be friends with someone who treats her like that? She’s meant to be your friend!”

 

  Harry felt like the air had been knocked out of him. He knew all the horrible things Draco had done the last two years, of course, but hearing them spoken aloud like that made them sound all the more terrible.

 

  “Maybe it’s easier for you to forget, Harry, but when you’re the Muggleborn he’s said all that stuff to, it sticks a little more in your head,” Hermione said in a quavering voice.

 

  “I do remember,” Harry said, his throat tight. “He’s said all that same nasty stuff about my Muggleborn mother, Hermione, I haven’t just forgotten. You both know perfectly well that I hated him, but I can’t anymore, not after what I saw this summer. It’s just so hard to explain to someone who wasn’t there to see it, but he’s changing.” 

 

 “Really?” Ron said, his voice dripping with scepticism.

 

  “I wouldn’t put up with him if he wasn’t!” Harry said, despair creeping up on him. “You guys are my best friends, not him! I wouldn’t put up with Draco if he was still that same stuck-up arsehole he’s always been, especially if he still thought the same stuff about people like Hermione. He’s had a massive shock this summer, and he’s getting better!”

 

  “I just don’t see it,” Hermione said, turning her face away.

 

  “But because I’ve been so close to it, I do!” Harry insisted. “You can’t unlearn all this stuff overnight, but I know he doesn’t believe it anymore because I’ve helped argue him out of it myself, actually! Even if you aren’t seeing it I am, and I promise he’s changing. As my friends, can’t you just trust me?”

 

  Harry knew he sounded desperate on those last few words, but he couldn’t help himself. He suddenly felt like his friendships with Ron and Hermione were balancing on a knife’s edge, and the prospect of losing them absolutely terrified him.

 

  And Ron and Hermione didn’t respond instantly. They just looked at him. Harry didn’t think he could bear it if they said no to his question, but couldn’t bring himself to stay in the common room to actually hear the dreaded words leave their lips.

 

  But as Harry fled, he felt just as miserable as he would have if he had stayed to hear their answer. After all, they distrusted his knowledge of Snape enough to go running to McGonagall… who was to say they trusted Harry enough to believe him when he said Draco wasn’t the same anymore?

 

  Their silence was an answer in itself.

 

 


 

  Harry avoided the common room and contact with any other humans for the remainder of the day. Moping around the castle seemed like a far more desirable activity, at any rate, so he drifted between deserted parts of the castle in a cloud of despair. Even a few laps of the Quidditch Pitch on his Nimbus 2000 didn’t make Harry feel any better. The only time he surfaced was to go to the Great Hall for meals. Even though Harry felt far too miserable to eat much, he knew Snape would note his absence and start asking nosy questions he didn’t want to answer.

 

  Even though Harry was staunchly determined to defend Snape, as weird as that was to do, he was absolutely not blind to the man’s flaws. Harry knew that Snape was a vindictive person, and if he found out Harry was fighting with his friends because they’d complained to McGonagall about him, he was worried Snape would get angry with them and do something mean in lessons. No, he couldn’t talk about this with the man.

 

  It surprised Harry that he wanted to, though. Really wanted to, in fact. Snape was surprisingly good at helping Harry out when he got himself into an emotional mess like this.

 

  Unfortunately enough, it simply was not an option. Harry was left to mull over his problems by himself, and to contemplate the significance of what he’d just done.

 

  Had he just chosen Draco Malfoy over his friends?

 

  Harry wasn’t particularly keen to do that. Even if he sort of liked Draco now, and enjoyed his company, Ron and Hermione were his best friends, and held his loyalty far more than Draco did. And worst of all, they’d both made very valid points. Draco had done horrible things. He’d called Hermione a Mudblood, for God’s sake!

 

  And even though Draco was starting to change, he still got very awkward around Muggles. He’d still made fun of Ron’s robes for no reason just last week. He’d apologised to Harry for being a bully, but never Hermione for what he’d done to her.

 

  And even if Draco needed someone, Harry just couldn’t let that slide!

 

  So, after a restless night, Harry thought he might as well tackle the problem head on and go down to see Draco, like he’d promised Snape. At any rate, Harry hadn’t really spoken to another person for an entire day by Sunday morning, and was starting to feel a little lonely. A chess game couldn’t hurt…

 

  After breakfast, he headed straight for the dungeons. As a rule, Harry tried to avoid the domain of Slytherins wherever he could help it, so he wasn’t very familiar with the winding corridors. It took him forever before he found Snape’s office again, and the painting of the cobra that stood to the left of it.

 

  Harry stared at the sleeping snake and hesitated. Even though Snape had told him that he was allowed to come into the quarters as he pleased, it still felt weird to actually do so. Harry was just in the process of steeling himself to open the password when the cobra squinted at him.

 

  “Save me from meandering children!” he complained irritably, rising up and flaring his hood. “In or out, boy?”

 

  “Er - in, sorry,” Harry said. “Ashwinder.”

 

  The snake looked shocked, which allowed Harry to learn that snakes could even look shocked, but the portrait swung open before he could comment further. Harry walked up the short set of steps and heard music being played. Harry had never once heard Snape listen to music at Spinner’s End, so it was a bit disconcerting to hear the distant sound of piano keys tinkling as he made his way into the main quarters.

 

  When he emerged, Harry realised that the music was actually coming from the upright piano near the fireplace, and Draco was playing it. Harry hadn’t had any idea he knew how to play the piano, let alone as well as he was doing now. His fingers seemed to fly across the keys, and he was so focused on the sheet music in front of him that he didn’t notice Harry had entered the room for over two minutes, when Harry took a step forward to get a better look. Draco obviously noticed the movement and jumped violently, his hands banging against the keys with a discordant bang.

 

  “Merlin’s beard, you scared the life out of me!” he said indignantly, pressing a hand against his chest. “Don’t sneak up on me like that!”

 

  “Sneak up on you? I could have come in dressed like a clown and you wouldn’t have noticed!” Harry said. “You were too focused. I didn’t know you could play the piano!”

 

  “I have many skills I doubt you know about,” Draco said haughtily. “I can also speak fluent French and Italian, I can waltz, and I have enviable calligraphy. But yes, I’m something of a musician. Severus doesn’t keep a piano at his house, so I didn’t have as many opportunities to play this summer as I would have liked. I’m awfully rusty.”

 

  Harry shrugged. “Sounded good to me.”

 

  “Yes, you. An untrained ear.” Draco sneered slightly. “That isn’t the high praise you think it is.”

 

  Harry scowled. “If you’re going to be all moody, I guess I’ll just go back up to Gryffindor Tower and -”

 

  “Wait!” Draco said quickly. “Don’t. Er - please…”

 

  “For someone who boasts about all his fancy etiquette training, you really hate saying please and thank you,” Harry remarked.

 

Draco glared at him. “Perhaps I should send you back to Gryffindor Tower.”

 

  But he got to his feet and fetched the chessboard anyway, albeit with a number of muttered but half-hearted insults aimed at Harry.

 

  “I’m assuming Severus told you all about me moving in here?” Draco said bitterly as he sat down on the sofa.

 

  Harry shifted his weight from foot to foot awkwardly.“Er - yeah. He mentioned it.”

 

  “If I wasn’t enough of an outcast as it is,” Draco muttered, taking the chess board out of its box. “He’s promised I don’t have to tell anyone where I've gone, at the very least. It’ll probably get out anyway, but at least it buys me a few days…”

 

  “I won’t tell anyone, at least,” Harry promised, taking a seat on the other side of the sofa.

 

  “Good.”

 

  He finished setting out the chess pieces, and both of them quickly fell into the usual back-and-forth bickering they had upheld during the summer. Harry had missed this more than he’d thought while they’d been fighting, and felt a strange sort of contentment settle over him. This was so good and easy…

 

  But the fact that he had even missed this at all made Harry’s insides churn uncomfortably. He couldn’t help but feel like he was betraying his friends by even being here after what he, Ron and Hermione had discussed yesterday morning. After the things Draco had said, especially to Hermione, how could he sit here and be friendly to him? Why did Harry even want to?

 

  His inner turmoil must have really shown on his face, because even Draco noticed. He frowned at Harry. “Are you alright?”

 

  “Yeah…” Harry leaned his head on his elbow and looked at Draco for several long seconds. “Just thinking about stuff, I suppose.”

 

Draco watched Harry expectantly. He clearly knew Harry had more to say. Harry bit his lip before suddenly blurting out, "I need to know what you think about Muggles."

 

  Draco's eyebrows furrowed. “Sorry, what?”

 

 

  “And Muggleborns,” Harry added.

 

  Draco stared at him, nonplussed. “I don’t even know what that means! It’s a pretty broad question, isn’t it?”

 

  “Actually, I think you do know what I mean!” Harry said with a scowl. "Do you still think Muggles are scum? Do you still wish all Muggleborns dead?”

 

  “When did I ever wish Muggleborns dead?” Draco demanded.

 

  “Last year!” Harry hissed. “Are you forgetting the Chamber of Secrets? Did it slip your mind how you said you hoped the Heir would kill someone next, and how you wanted it to be Hermione?”

 

  Draco’s face grew horrified. “I never said that in front of you!”

 

  Harry abruptly realised that Draco had said that to him when he and Ron had Polyjuiced as Crabbe and Goyle and cringed. That was not something Harry wanted to discuss right now. He managed to save face by retorting, “I don’t see you denying it! And are you forgetting that ‘you’ll be next, Mudbloods’ comment when the Chamber got opened?”

 

  “Look, I - I didn’t actually mean it!” Draco protested. “I didn’t understand what I was saying, not really!”

 

  “But that doesn’t change the fact that you did say it, Draco!” Harry hissed. “Look, I’ve danced around the topic all summer, but I can’t anymore, okay? You’ve always made it very clear how much you hate Muggleborns, and at the end of the day, my best friend is a Muggleborn. My mother was a Muggleborn, and I’m a half-blood myself! I need to know if you still think those things.”

 

  Draco was silent for a moment, his eyes wide. “I… I don’t think I do.”

 

  “You don’t think you do?” Harry asked, arching an eyebrow. “Not exactly a vote of confidence.”

 

  “I don’t believe it anymore, alright?” Draco hissed. “I can’t! I know it’s all a stupid lie, I know Granger is smarter than me, and she’s a Muggleborn, so how can all Muggleborns be magically incompetent? And then Severus goes and explains that a Muggleborn witch, of all people, was capable of stopping the Dark Lord with powerful blood magic that let you deflect the Killing Curse! And to top it all off, it turns out all the most powerful wizards are half-bloods! The Boy-Who-Lived is one, and the Headmaster, and the damn Dark Lord himself! So yes, clearly blood doesn’t affect magic, and I was wrong, okay? I admit it! I just didn’t know any better!”

 

  Draco’s cheeks had flushed a deep pink by the end of his rant, and he fell into sullen silence. Harry, despite his reservations, just knew that Draco was telling the truth. The look of utter mortification on his face was enough.

 

  “I believe you,” Harry said quietly.

 

  “I bloody well hope you do, because I’m not saying all of that again,” Draco snapped, folding his arms and staring at the floor.

 

 I guess all of Snape’s lectures actually do have an effect, Harry reflected. He doubted Draco could have worked all this out without significant input, and he'd personally witnessed some of Snape's talks about equality. The man could be insistent.

 

  “Is that why you were so upset when you heard about what your dad did?” he dared to ask, the pieces finally coming together. “Because you understand now?”

 

  Draco nodded, his eyes oddly dull. “To see he did all of those things to people - he’s a murderer, Harry! Not just that, he tortured people, and he followed a maniac Dark Lord over made-up nonsense! And I want to hate him, but - well, he’s still my father, you know?" Draco sighed and slumped back into the cushions. "Look, I know your father’s a bloody war hero and all, but you must get it a little. Do you ever want to hate your horrid relatives but then get stuck on the good memories?”

 

  Harry had to think about that for a moment. There really wasn’t much love lost between him and the Dursleys, since they’d always resented ever being stuck with him and made their feelings truly known…

 

  But the world wasn’t split into good people and bad people, and the Dursleys had been capable of the occasional kindness, fleeting as it was.

 

  When Harry was quite small, before his accidental magic had become obvious, Aunt Petunia would sometimes pat him on the top of the head when he did something to her satisfaction. Occasionally, Uncle Vernon would broker a business deal or receive a raise, and it would put him down in a good mood. He would bark out, “Good lad!” and give Harry a gruff nod while Harry served up dinner, puffed up like a proud peacock. Dudley sometimes forgot to bully Harry, and would include Harry in his games for brief stints when there no one else was around to play with him.

 

  The Dursleys weren’t complete monsters. They were people, capable of occasional pangs of conscience, and they honestly hadn’t cared enough about Harry for their singular purpose in life to be tormenting him. They had it in them to be briefly nice.

 

  But unlike Draco, he didn’t feel conflicted about his dislike of the Dursleys. The acts of kindness made the cruelty hurt more, because Harry knew they were capable of love. They simply couldn’t bring themselves to share it with him, and that was wrong. Making them emotionless monsters simplified how horrible everything they’d done to him was.

 

  But Draco was looking at him with some desperation, so Harry did his best to put his honest conflicted feelings into words to try and alleviate his obvious misery.

 

  “I sort of understand. I don’t have any other family, you know? My aunt’s all I have left, and I can’t change that, even if I wanted to." Harry swallowed, hard. Bitterness burned like bile in the back of his throat. "And my aunt and uncle did raise me from a really young age. Like, I know Snape says they n-neglected me, but Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon had to do certain stuff to look after me, or I wouldn’t have made it this long. Sometimes I remember how Aunt Petunia must have fed me before I was old enough to do it myself, and she had to hold my hand on the way to school when I was too little to know not to run in front of cars."

 

  Harry trailed off, a harsh burning in the back of his eyes. Aunt Petunia was the closest thing Harry had to a mother, and as much as he hated her, he still wished Aunt Petunia had it in her to treat Harry like a son. Harry knew she was capable of love - Dudley proved that - so why wasn't he worthy? Did she care about him? She'd taken him in - that meant Aunt Petunia didn't want to see him dead, at the very least. Were the brief kindnesses or moments of care, like her reluctant, pinching grip of his four-year-old hand on the way to school, Aunt Petunia's twisted form of love?

 

  "I know Aunt Petunia resented everything she had to do for me, but she still did it," Harry said, voice faltering. "Even if she didn’t want to, she still took me in because she knew I might die without the blood wards, and I don’t know what all of that means to me, but it shows she cared the tiniest bit, and it just makes everything more complicated.”

 

  Harry stared at the floor after he said that, because Draco's face was so clearly full of pity and he couldn’t bear to look at it. His chest ached.

 

  Harry didn't want to want this. He shouldn't give a damn about the opinion of the woman who had locked him in a cupboard for ten years.

 

  But Harry did.

 

  “Families are hard,” he said softly.

 

  Draco shuffled up next to Harry, so close their arms were touching. They sat in silence for several moments, neither of them knowing what to say.

 

  “Things are different in my situation in a lot of ways, but there’s some stuff we have in common,” Draco said, his voice so low it was practically a whisper. “My father’s a war criminal. He murdered people, he tortured people, he did so many horrible things - but I didn’t see that at home, you know? He never treated me the way he treated all of the Muggleborns he hates. I know he loves me, and he would defend me to the bitter end, and he was certainly far better to me than your aunt and uncle were to you. But… well, sometimes, I wasn't sure if he liked me all that much, especially when I didn't do something to meet his approval. He could be really harsh…”

 

  Draco hesitated before ploughing on. “When I was very young, I had a stammer. I would be speaking, and I’d get this awful twisted feeling in my chest, and I couldn’t get the words out. Father hated it. He would shout at me, sometimes, for embarrassing him in public, or he’d tell me to get over it, and he’d say the most horrid things to me. I think he thought I’d learn to buck up, but it just made me get even more tongue-tied, and the cycle went on.”

 

  Harry turned to look at him, horrified. “Draco… I had no idea.”

 

  “Well, my mother took me to a Healer behind his back, and I managed to stop,” Draco said dully. “But what I’m saying is, sometimes Father’s tolerance of me wore thin when I didn’t live up to his expectations. He was outraged when Granger outdid me in first year, you know. Malfoys should always be at the top, and they certainly shouldn’t be beaten by Muggleborns. He didn’t speak to me for a week after the results came in, and he went on and on about it for the rest of that summer. It sometimes felt like he only liked me if I behaved exactly how he wanted, but his expectations could be completely impossible to live up to.”

 

  Harry, who had witnessed Lucius Malfoy berating Draco in Borgin & Burkes last year, winced sympathetically. He’d never actually connected the dots and realised that perhaps Draco’s dislike of Hermione could be connected to his harsh father.

 

  “And then the cherry on top is the house.” Draco scoffed. “I know he probably thinks he was protecting all of us by doing it, but he burnt my home down with me inside to destroy evidence and save his own damn skin! My mother barely got me out in time, and I lost everything I owned, and I can’t Floo or even be near fire now because it freaks me out, and it’s all his fault! I shouldn’t have to hate my own father, but he’s making it pretty bloody difficult for me not to!”

 

  The bonfire incident during the summer abruptly made more sense to Harry. Sympathy stirred in his chest, and he reached out a hand and briefly squeezed Draco's shoulder.

 

  Draco huffed and leaned his head back, shutting his eyes. “You’re right, Harry. Families are hard.”

 

  Harry’s eyebrows furrowed. “Draco… why are you telling me all of this? It doesn’t seem like the kind of stuff you’d normally tell me, of all people…”

 

  Draco gave him a pained look. “Because I knew you’d understand. And you do, see? I think it helps to talk about these things, sometimes.”

 

  Harry gave him a thin smile. Shockingly enough, for the first time, he felt very grateful that Draco had overheard that conversation between Snape and Dumbledore. He still couldn’t quite imagine a situation where he’d have opened up about the Dursleys to the other boy, but after circumstances had forced his hand, it had changed things for the better. Draco understood more about Harry, and he was even starting to open up in return, which evened out their footing.

 

  And Harry had an abrupt and realisation - no, a paradigm shift. He didn’t know what he’d been doing to try and rationalise what he and Draco had over the last few weeks, but it wasn’t out of some kind of misplaced pity because he didn’t have anyone else, or because Snape was forcing them to get on.

 

  Harry just genuinely liked Draco.

 

  He had seen personal things of Harry’s life and had actually been respectful of it. Because they’d both had such a dreadful, tumultuous time over the summer in such close proximity to each other, they’d bonded. It was impossible to help. Seeing each other so emotionally vulnerable had made them closer.

 

  So Harry did want to spend time with Draco. He wanted to be friends with him, simply because he had grown to care about Draco, as weird as that might sound to Ron and Hermione. He understood Draco far too intimately after what they’d been through to just give up on him during a fight, just as Harry wouldn’t give up on Ron and Hermione if he got into an argument with one of them for doing something stupid.

 

  And, Harry realised with a sudden blaze of determination, he wasn’t going to lose his friendship with Ron and Hermione now, because he cared too much about everyone involved to let this blow up. He’d find a way to show them Draco had changed, make up with them, and Harry wouldn’t be forced to choose between his two best friends and Draco. He could find a happy middle ground, and sort out this rift, and things would settle down. Harry wasn’t afraid of hard work.

 

  But for now, Harry turned to Draco and smiled. "I really missed you."

 

  A mixture of shock and happiness flashed across Draco's face. "You did?"

 

  "Of course!" Harry, feeling slightly vulnerable and embarrassed, added, "and I missed thrashing you at Monopoly most of all."

 

  Draco scoffed. "I knew Gryffindors were thick, but this is really something else. You never beat me, Potter!"

 

  "Oh yeah?" Harry asked, arching an eyebrow. "Bring it on, Malfoy."

 

  They stayed hunched over the board for hours, and Harry felt the happiest he had all weekend.

To be continued...
Interlude: Draco by aspionage

Draco sighed and shoved the newspaper to one side, the face of a masked Death Eater staring malevolently back at him. Who was hidden behind that uniform? Was it his own father glowering at him right now, or just one of his close companions who had perpetrated the murders listed in this copy of the Daily Prophet? Draco didn’t know.

 

But he needed to.

 

Draco needed to know everything his father had done - everything his family had done, really, since he had decided to read about every single one of his awful relatives as penance. He’d learnt about the suspicious activities of Abraxas Malfoy that had never amounted to charges, he’d read about his mother’s cousin, Regulus, who had deserted the Dark Lord and was killed at eighteen, and he’d read enough about Aunt Bella and her horrid husband to make him turn his stomach. He’d saved Sirius Black for later, since everybody knew what he’d done - for now, Draco was focusing on Lucius.

 

So many murders. So many people tortured. So many horrid, bigoted comments that made Draco feel so terribly ashamed, not least of all because he’d agreed with every single one of them until recently…

 

Draco certainly still thought that Muggles were beneath him, of course, but Muggleborns? Severus had taken to using one particular phrase: 'a wizard is a wizard'. There were no differences in power levels, no intellectual defects caused by their Muggle blood, nothing that could differentiate Draco and his thousand year old magical blood from the likes of Granger. The fact that there was no real science behind Muggleborn inferiority like Draco had believed truly made his jaw drop.  He couldn’t understand how his father, who Draco had always thought to be so intelligent, was blinded by this sort of stupidity -

 

Because he wanted to believe himself superior, Severus’ voice whispered in the back of Draco’s mind. He wants to believe he’s more powerful and worthy by birthright, and will do whatever mental leaps it requires to convince himself of such things…

 

That conversation, amongst many others, had been enlightening in ways Draco refused to admit publicly. Severus had held many such conversations with him over the summer, as a matter of fact. He had explained in excruciating detail the dangers of prejudice, and had even talked about his own personal story when it came to his time as a Death Eater. The mere memory of that conversation made Draco shiver upon recollection. 

 


 

The summer heat pressed down over Cokeworth like a thick, oppressive blanket. No mercifully cool breeze stirred the stifling air, and every inhale and exhale tasted stagnant and muggy. 

 

Draco fanned himself with one hand and wiped away another bead of sweat from his brow before it dripped into the potion below. His entire body was drenched in perspiration. Severus' laboratory always ran hot, but in the midst of the July heatwave they were experiencing, it was practically an oven. Worst of all, the Muggle neighbourhood Severus lived in could not be properly warded with climate controlling enchantments, so they were stuck experiencing the worst of the heatwave with no relief. Draco was almost considering breaking Severus' stupid ban on summertime magic to cast an Aguamenti over his head for a brief reprieve from the torment. He couldn't understand how Severus was wearing his usual black robes, buttoned to the throat and sleeves to his wrists. How had he not collapsed from heat exhaustion yet?

 

"I can't believe you're going around in this weather dressed like that! It's absolutely boiling!" Draco commented. He purposefully gestured to his light summer robes, rolled up to the biceps. "Do you have an aversion to elbows or something?"

 

Severus lowered the heat beneath his cauldron and looked at Draco for a very long time, expression blank. He slowly and deliberately lowered his hand to the cuff of his left sleeve, unbuttoned it, and pulled it up past the elbow. A familiar, faded tattoo of a skull and snake stared back at Draco.

 

In his list of mortifying moments, this definitely cracked the top three. You could have cooked an egg on Draco's burning cheeks. 

 

"I - it slipped my mind Severus, I apologise -"

 

"Don't," Severus said smoothly, sliding his other sleeve up. Draco remained silent, furiously willing the pink flush in his face to die down while he tried to find the correct words to remedy such an awful faux pas. People with Dark Marks generally made an effort to hide them from the general public to avoid their scorn. Father had never once had his on display outside of the privacy of Malfoy Manor, and even then he tended to favour long sleeves at home. Draco didn't really understand why Severus wouldn't bare his arms in the privacy of his own home, though. He'd been here four weeks, and had never once seen Severus' arms until today despite the raging heatwave battering Britain.

 

After enough time had passed for Draco's blush to fade, he awkwardly cleared his throat. "Erm - it doesn't bother me seeing it, you know. I've seen my father's Mark plenty. You don't need to hide it."

 

Severus looked back up from his cauldron and arched an eyebrow. "Has it occured to you that perhaps I do not want to see it?"

 

Draco, who that had certainly not occurred to, awkwardly coughed and ducked his head. Severus tapped his wand against the rim of his cauldron, placing it under a stasis spell. That was a surefire sign he wanted to devote his full attention to the conversation - or lecture - at hand.

 

"I am deeply ashamed of this, you know," Severus said bluntly. He gestured to the Dark Mark. "This tattoo represents the biggest mistake of my life."

 

Draco watched Severus, wide-eyed. "Why are you ashamed? Once or twice I overheard Mother and Father talking, while they discussed your, ah… your true loyalties. They said Dumbledore vouched for you during the trials, and that you'd turned spy."

 

"Turned," Severus emphasised. "Draco, I joined the Death Eaters willingly." 

 

Draco stared hard at the ingredients on his workstation, unsure of how to proceed. He felt very uncomfortable discussing any of this, since any talk of the war came dangerously close to 'Muggleborns are just like you and I' territory.

 

"Look at me." Severus' tone was stern and severe, so Draco reluctantly met his gaze. "I am going to tell you the full story, and I want you to listen."

 

Draco nodded slowly, uncertainly. Mother and Father staunchly refused to discuss the war with Draco, and Severus' sudden willingness to shocked him.

 

"I am a half-blood," Severus said. Draco's jaw dropped with shock. That was honestly true?! He'd had his suspicions, considering the location of Severus' home, but he'd never expected them to amount to a confession!

 

"My father was the worst sort of Muggle," Severus continued, face unmoving. "My mother was a disgraced, disinherited Pureblood, who was left too disabled to work by a Transfiguration accident. She was entirely financially reliant on my father, a violent drunk who she couldn't defend me from."

 

Draco's eyes continued to widen with horror, but Severus' tone and countenance remained unchanged. 

 

"My childhood left me prejudiced against Muggles, and made me a prime candidate for a Death Eater. I fell in with a group of Purebloods who sympathised with the Dark Lord and convinced myself that I was superior to Muggles - and to a degree, Muggleborns - and joined the Dark Lord because I thought he'd give me the power and glory I so desperately craved." Severus shook his head, and a hint of pain managed to break through his forced calm. "There is no glory in serving the Dark Lord, Draco. Being his servant - although I think slave would be the more appropriate title - is not an honourable life. He tortured his followers regularly - sometimes as punishment, more often still for his own amusement." He gestured to the Dark Mark. "This brand ties you to him forever, and if you wavered in your loyalties for even a moment, if you so much as contemplated disobeying his orders, death would be a lucky escape from his wrath."

 

Draco swallowed, hard. What little he had gleaned about the war consisted of Mr Nott, Mr Crabbe and Mr Avery fondly reminiscing over wine about the days where Muggleborns knew their place. Nobody had ever described it like this… 

 

"I had a best friend - a Muggleborn girl." Severus' throat bobbed. "In my fifth year, I ruined our friendship by calling her a Mudblood. My own prejudice destroyed something I valued dearly. I then proceeded to serve the man who despised her and all of her kind, even though I knew the Dark Lord wanted any and all Muggleborns gone. Eventually, the Dark Lord did murder her. I have to live the rest of my life knowing that I aided the man who killed her."

 

"Oh." Draco's voice had become rather strangled.

 

"I think that the day I decided to use that slur against her was a fork in the road of my life," Severus said quietly. "Perhaps, Draco, if I had been more mindful of my language and prejudices, I would not have ruined a true and genuine friendship to associate with my 'superior' Pureblooded companions, people who themselves sneered at my half-blood heritage. I would not have permanently marred my arm with this tattoo that reminds me every day that I chose to be a slave. I would not have assisted the man that murdered my friend." His sigh was deep and heavy, and told the toll of a thousand mistakes. "These sorts of prejudices need to be stopped early. You do not want to end up like me, because these regrets will weigh on your conscience every day for the rest of your life."

 

Draco finally broke away from Severus' earnest gaze and fixed his eyes to the stained floorboards. A month of chiding lectures about making nice with Mudbloods had fallen on deaf ears until now, where Draco felt the first stirring pangs of conscience. Severus' descent was far too easy to understand…

 

It was almost alarming how clearly Draco could see himself following the same path. He thought back to the day he'd called Granger a Mudblood early last year, an event that Severus had harped on about for the last month. After the story of Severus and his friend, the word Mudblood felt more weighty in his mouth. A simple word that represented so much more, a whole slew of prejudices and persecution that Draco had never truly comprehended the horror of until this moment.

 

Severus deftly rolled his sleeves down, hiding the Dark Mark from view once more. His eyes were lowered and full of pain. "After the things I've done, overheating is the least I deserve."

 

Draco was lost for words. 

 


 

Much like Severus considered the day he called his Muggleborn friend a Mudblood a fork in the road of his life, Draco considered that talk a defining moment in his. That conversation had opened the door in his mind to doubt in his father and the prejudices he promoted, and had led Draco from hating Muggleborns to…well, whatever he felt towards them now.

 

He couldn't put into words how much he appreciated Severus' candour about the war, especially in comparison to Draco's mother and father. The vast majority of the time when he asked, Draco’s parents would give him brief answers and change the subject whenever he asked about the tattoo on Father’s arm, or the Dark Lord that Mr Crabbe had been passionately praising after one too many glasses of wine. Draco vaguely remembered a brief conversation with Mother when he was too young to understand the nuance of it all. She’d explained that a man had used a Curse to force Father to do things he wouldn’t do normally, and that he must never, ever ask Father about it. 

 

Draco had believed her, of course. Why wouldn’t he?

 

As he’d aged, the Curse had been named as the Imperius Curse, and the man had been named as the Dark Lord. The ban on asking questions had remained, though. As Draco had matured, he'd made the realisation that perhaps some things about the past were just too difficult to discuss. His father had only given Draco a response once when he'd dared to go against Mother and ask about the Dark Lord.

 

"He was a great man. Terrible, but great. One of the most powerful wizards of our time, with the right idea about Purebloods and Muggleborns. Perhaps if his methods had differed…who knows how the world would look today."

 

Somehow, that had not set off any alarm bells in Draco's mind. Neither had any of the hushed conversations overheard through closed doors and on darkened landings, late at night. He would hear Father and his friends arguing about the Dark Lord, questioning if he was still alive, or if they should seek him out. Mother and Father would engage in regular, scathing rants about incompetent Muggleborn Ministry employees who weren't worthy of wands. Snippets, names, arguments - fragments that never came together. Draco had never examined all of the highly suspicious conversations and thought past the lie his parents had told him. Father had been forced by the Dark Lord to do unspeakable things, an opinion that Draco had vehemently defended without a shadow of a doubt.

 

Until now.

 

Draco sighed again, and lifted his aching eyes from the papers. It had been hours in here again, but it wasn’t like he had anything better to do than ruminate over his father’s various murders. Draco couldn't stop until he understood it, because right now, everything he was reading defied comprehension. Even though every last detail was laid out before him, Draco still just couldn’t reconcile this murdering bigot with the man that used to pick Draco up and carry him on his shoulders to show him the Abraxans, the man who would fly and race Draco around the grounds whenever he asked, the man who had taught Draco his first spell. How could a person who would pull four-year-old Draco onto his lap and cast beautiful shows of lights and fireworks above his head to make him laugh also go out and murder Muggle and Muggleborn children who were no older than Draco had been? How could someone who looked at his wife like she hung the moon then take his wand and leave another witch or wizard widowed?

 

Draco knew Father wasn’t always a kind man, of course. Even with Draco, Lucius could be cold, and cutting, and he held impossibly high standards that Draco feared he would never meet. He had just never expected that these less desirable traits of Father's would translate to torture and murder…

 

Not until his father had burned the house down with Draco inside, with no way of knowing if Mother would be able to get to Draco in time. He’d been willing to risk all of their lives to save the family reputation. 

 

Draco hunched his shoulders. He felt completely and utterly miserable. As an only child, Draco had thought he was used to loneliness. He had been wrong, of course. Draco couldn’t have possibly imagined what it was like to be truly and wholly alone in the world. Worse still, hated.

 

And why wouldn’t everyone hate him? The spawn of a Malfoy - what was there to like? The Gryffindors, Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws despised him on principle, while the Slytherins hated Draco in a more insidious and personal way. Draco knew that Father had tried to wriggle his way out of trouble by reporting on other Death Eaters in his circle who had walked free. It was probably good that he was in Azkaban - Merlin knew what sort of awful things the likes of Macnair and Nott wanted to do to Father for the things he’d accused them of…

 

“...hope Lucius Malfoy gets the Dementor’s Kiss, it’s what Death Eater scum like him deserve…”

 

“...should be locked up right alongside them…”

 

Everyone hated Draco. He was another slimy Malfoy, destined to follow in his family's footsteps and end up dead or imprisoned. He could disappear from the face of the earth and there would not be a single person who cared -

 

Well, Severus probably would. Maybe even Harry, but Draco didn’t want to fool himself. Everyone adored perfect Potter, and Draco was barely on his radar. He couldn't understand why Harry had even bothered coming down to the dungeons for visits since they'd made up two weeks ago. Why would he ever want anything to do with the son of a Death Eater? Draco's father had worked for the man who had murdered Harry’s parents! He ought to despise Draco!

 

But Harry didn't hate him - far from it, apparently. Draco still remembered the day the papers had been delivered, when his world had fallen apart yet again. Harry had hunted Draco down and hugged him when he'd felt like he was falling forever into a bottomless pit of anguish, he had told Draco how sorry he was and how he wanted to be friends again, and he had made such a difference on a day that Draco truly thought would be the death of him. 

 

Still, the conversation the other day had only served to show Draco how much further he needed to go. He had been doing his best to listen to Severus when it came to prejudice, and to prevent himself from following in his father's footsteps, but it was all so hard, and Draco knew he had a long way to go. Not only that, but all of Draco’s previous behaviour when it came to Muggleborns was clearly still weighing on Harry, which he wasn't quite sure what to do about…

 

And that was when Draco spotted Granger.

 

She was always in here, to Draco’s displeasure. He supposed that it was another fitting punishment to endure alongside the constant reading of his father’s crimes, since Granger served as a reminder of everything wrong with Draco, and every reason why Harry would never like him as a best friend, and would only tolerate him at best… he’d hurt Granger very frequently over the last two years. Nasty know-it-all Granger…

 

Draco really should not hate Granger, since all of the animosity between them had been generally initiated by Draco. Severus, in one of his many scathing lectures, had made it perfectly clear to Draco how appalling his behaviour had been. The Mudblood incident at the beginning of his second year had featured quite heavily in Severus’ rants about equality and bigotry. As much as Draco didn’t want to, he felt horribly guilty about that now. Severus had made sure of that.

 

Severus had also rather heavily suggested that he apologise. At first, Draco had refused on principle - apologies were a sign of weakness, everybody knew that! Still, as time passed, Draco had started to see the potential benefits of embarrassing himself in such a way. Mainly because it might make Harry happier…

 

And he probably owed Granger an apology, Draco reminded himself. Still, he hated saying sorry. Unfortunately, Draco knew how important Granger and Weasley were to Harry. He’d made that perfectly clear the other weekend. If Draco was going to be friends with a Gryffindor, he supposed he had to suck it up and adapt to their nauseating apologetic habits.

 

Draco knew that if he didn’t do it now, it was never going to happen. He got to his feet, carefully smoothed down his hair and checked his appearance in the reflection of the library windows, and slowly walked over to the table Granger had placed herself at. She had taken over the entire surface with a frankly ridiculous amount of books and parchment, all covered in neat, tiny handwriting. As he approached, Granger didn’t even look up. Draco stood to one side of her, feeling intensely conspicuous, and waited for a very long time to clear his throat and announce his presence. 

 

Granger’s head shot up, bushy hair bouncing all around her, and her expression morphed into one of shock and suspicion. “Malfoy?”

 

“I just wanted a quick word.”

 

Granger scowled at him and crossed her arms. "Get on with it, then."

 

Rude. Draco really didn’t see why he should have to lower himself to associating with ill-mannered Gryffindors like this -

 

Well, Harry was one of them, and Draco could tolerate his brash tendencies the majority of his time. He just had to grit his teeth and get through this. He exhaled loudly through his nose and clenched his fists.

 

“‘M sorry,” he muttered. 

 

Granger’s brow creased. “What?”

 

“I’m sorry, okay?” he snapped, feeling very irritated all of a sudden. “About last year. When I called you a…well.”

 

“A Mudblood?” Granger said icily.

 

Draco winced. “Yes - that. It was… it was certainly not appropriate of me. Sev - er, Professor Snape and Harry have helped me see the error of my ways.”

 

Granger’s scowl deepened. “Did Harry put you up to this or something?”

 

“What? No!” Draco said indignantly. He took a deep breath, trying to calm the pricklings of temper. “I just - well, I wanted to extend my apologies. I don’t believe any of that anymore -”

 

“Well, bully for you,” Granger snapped. “What’s the point of all this, Malfoy?”

 

“I just thought you should know,” Draco said, taking a step back. “Because I am. Sorry, I mean. I’ve been a right prat when it comes to you, and I - well, I regret it.”

 

Unable to bear her haughty, disbelieving face for another minute, Draco spun on his heel and fled the library. He ignored Madam Pince’s shouted admonishments for running and continued to tear through the halls. He needed to get out - he needed air. Circe, that had somehow been worse than Draco had anticipated. What was even the point of apologising if no one believed you? How was Draco supposed to convincingly prove to Granger that he didn’t hate Muggleborns anymore? It all was impossible!

 

He sprinted until he reached the edge of the Forbidden Forest, lungs burning from the exertion. Draco sank down against a tree trunk, hugged his knees close to his chest, and tried very hard to pretend that the water in his eyes was from the harsh Scottish wind. He hated how close to tears he always was, especially these days. His father had always been particularly condemning of such displays of emotions, but Draco couldn't ever help it. He felt things so deeply, and it was impossible to keep it all inside.

 

He missed Father so much today.

 

Draco didn’t know what to do with that. He missed Mother constantly, of course, so much so that he still cried himself to sleep some nights hoping she was okay in Azkaban, even though he knew deep down that she wasn't. Draco’s feelings towards his Father were so horribly tangled and complex in comparison. He hated Father with a passion that made his blood boil for everything he’d done to both Draco and to the victims of his crimes, but at the same time, he missed Father with an aching intensity. For thirteen years of Draco's life, Lucius Malfoy had been the most important, intelligent and capable man Draco knew. He was the ideal role model in every way!

 

Father had been Draco's compass, his map, his navigator. Now Lucius was gone, locked away, and Draco was left lost and stranded. 

 

Draco couldn't even pretend there weren't tears streaming down his face anymore.

 

Moments before he could wipe them away, something rough and wet swiped across his cheeks. Draco yelped and shoved out his hands, which smacked into something brawny and fluffy. He gave a hefty push, to no avail. The creature remained undeterred and continued to lick him. Draco opened his eyes and realised that a large, black dog was currently attacking his face with its tongue. 

 

"Get off me!" he shouted, shoving the beast away with renewed determination. It was matted, skinny, and probably riddled with fleas! Draco was going to have to burn his robes after this! 

 

Just as he was about to cast Flipendo at the creature, it at last retreated and settled at Draco's feet, head tilted slightly to the side. As he was very unfamiliar with dogs, Draco couldn't work out what the thing could possibly want. The only experience he had with the animals were the bloodhounds Father sometimes used for hunting, but the house-elves normally cared for those without much input. 

 

"Are you… hungry?" Draco asked hesitantly. "I don't have anything you could eat. You'd have better luck with that oaf of a Gamekeeper."

 

Draco scowled in the direction of Hagrid's lopsided shack. What had that idiotic fool of a Headmaster been thinking, hiring an incompetent buffoon like that to teach Care of Magical Creatures? He'd nearly killed Draco with that bloody Hippogriff on his first day! This dog was probably one of his horrid mutts….

 

But Draco stopped himself from getting up and leaving it at the last moment. He felt like he knew this dog from somewhere, oddly. He couldn't quite place where he’d seen it before, though.

 

The dog curled into Draco's side, but mercifully didn't jump up onto him again. Draco tentatively reached out a hand to rub its head and the dog leaned into the touch, tail wagging happily. It wasn't entirely unpleasant, even if Draco wasn't much of a dog person. After all, he was remarkably lonely right now.

 

"Everything is hard," Draco said abruptly. The dog lifted its head to stare at Draco with odd, grey eyes. It almost looked like it was listening… 

 

Well, it wasn't like Draco had anyone else to talk to.

 

"I just want things to go back to normal," he whispered, leaning his head back against the tree. "Merlin, I miss Pansy. I even miss Vince and Greg! They're more like ornaments than people most of the time, I didn't know I could miss them!" 

 

The dog let out an affirmative sort of bark, and Draco ploughed on. "It's not like I can even make new friends, apparently. I didn't even want to apologise to bloody Granger, but I did it anyway, and she didn't even accept it! She's probably going to go back to Harry, complain about how awful I am for daring to so much as look at her, and he's going to go back to hating me again because Potter likes her so much more than me..."

 

The dog's head jerked up at the name Potter, and Draco scowled. Of course, even a damn dog would be overly interested in the fabulous Boy-Who-Lived… 

 

Draco cut off that train of thought before it could gain any traction. If he started thinking resentful thoughts about fame, it meant he said resentful things to Harry, which he shouldn’t do. Draco knew logically that Harry hated being a celebrity, even if he sometimes struggled against base inclinations towards the glamour and glory that fame brought.

 

It was so hard, fighting back all the horrid thoughts in his head before they became nasty words and actions. Draco hoped it would get easier someday, because he wasn't sure how much more of this constant mental chastisement he could take. 

 

He sighed and awkwardly ran a hand over the dog's back. Draco wasn't quite sure what dogs liked but it didn't seem to mind what he was doing, and Draco found the repetitive motion surprisingly soothing. 

 

"I did sort of want to apologise to Granger, you know, " Draco told him. "Even if she is an insufferable, bushy-haired show-off. I know I've been foul to her for no good reason. Severus has made that pretty bloody clear… "

 

The dog abruptly made a low growling noise in the back of its throat, and Draco pulled his hand away, as if burned. Had he hurt it? Was it going to attack? 

 

The dog noticed his flinch and quickly went quiet. It made a whimpering noise, nosing against Draco's palm. After a few moments of hesitation, Draco gingerly patted him on the head and the dog's tail began to wag again. How odd…

 

"I don't like who I was before," Draco admitted. "I… I don't want to be like Father anymore. If believing the things he believes gets you locked up in Azkaban for following an evil Dark Lord, I probably shouldn't believe them, right?"

 

"Woof," the dog said agreeably.

 

"And I don't like that the stuff I did makes Harry angry," Draco admitted softly. "He's the only person who's been decent to me during all of this, you know. All my so-called friends turned on me in a heartbeat, but he stayed there."

 

That meant more to Draco than he could ever say. Even after everything he'd done, Harry had still treated Draco decently. He'd gone above and beyond, really, with somebody who he owed absolutely nothing to. That sort of thing earned Draco's hard-won loyalty. 

 

"I wish he was friends with me in the same way he was friends with Granger and Weasley," Draco said sadly. "I don't know what they have that I don't! And if Granger and Weasley don't like me, I don't think Harry will, either, but there's nothing I can do to make them!" He huffed loudly. "Granger thought Harry put me up to that apology! As if I could ever be forced into anything! Can you believe that?"

 

"Woof," the dog said, and Draco swore he actually nodded. 

 

"It's all a bloody mess," Draco said with a sigh. "I have no friends, and the only friend I do have has about five billion other friends when I only have him, and everyone in Slytherin hates me so much I had to move out of the common room, and my parents are in prison, and there's absolutely nothing I can do to make any of my problems better!"

 

He slumped backwards into the tree trunk, feeling thoroughly sorry for himself. If there was one thing Draco hated it was being powerless, and he was nothing if not powerless in his own life right now. He wasn't able to get his old friends back, or get the older Slytherins to leave him alone, he certainly wasn't able to do anything about his parents' legal issues, and he couldn't even apologise to Granger without her assuming that Draco was plotting something.

 

Well. Granger hadn't been entirely wrong. Draco was technically plotting, since he wouldn't have bothered apologising to Granger if he hadn't wanted to make things right with Harry. That didn't mean Draco wasn't remorseful for the things he'd done, though, it just meant he didn't want to admit to it! 

 

Malfoys do not apologise, Lucius said haughtily in his mind. You twist their words until the aggrieved apologise to you, Draco. Admitting fault is a weakness. 

 

Severus was the opposite. He was always insisting that Harry and Draco apologise to each other when they did something wrong, and to Draco's shock, it actually ended up solving a lot more problems than pretending like nothing had happened or trying to pin fault on the other party. Who'd have thought?

 

Of course, Draco never liked being wrong, so apologising didn't come that naturally to him. Potter ought to realise that, and appreciate the effort he made in apologising to the bushy-haired Mu-

 

Muggleborn.

 

Draco stared at the ground, feeling very sad all of a sudden. The dog rested its head on Draco's lap, sensing the continued dip of his mood. Draco never would have said dogs could be smart, but was quickly learning otherwise. 

 

“You’re not so bad,” Draco declared. “Say, why don’t I sneak some drumsticks out of the Great Hall for you? Would you like that?”

 

The dog began barking loudly and jumped up on Draco again, knocking him over from the force of impact. It began enthusiastically licking his face.

 

“Get off!” Draco shrieked, although he found that didn’t mind it as much as the first time. “If you don’t let up, I can’t get you any food, you know! Stop!”

 

After a few final licks, the dog released him and ran in a circle around Draco, tail wagging enthusiastically. 

 

“I’ll see you shortly,” Draco promised, heading back into the castle. He felt a little bit better, having let all of that out in the open, even if it was to a dog.

 

He’d go and find Severus later, Draco decided. He had a way of explaining things in a way that made Draco feel a little less awful about himself and his family. Maybe he’d even have some sort of advice for how to make things right with Granger, for Harry’s sake. 

 

Even though Draco didn’t have Father anymore, he was more grateful than he ever could have imagined to have Severus in his life. One decent person to model himself after, in a world where Draco's entire biological family were lunatics… Draco didn't know what would have happened to him after the arrest without Severus, the one person in his corner.

 

Severus and now Harry. 

 

For his whole life, Draco’s family had consisted of Mother, Father and himself, and when they’d been arrested, he’d assumed any concept of family had been stripped from him forever. Now, though? Maybe a new family was forming around him, as misshapen and odd as it might be. 

 

His old world might have burned to ashes, but Draco was starting to like the new one he was building.

To be continued...
Jealousy by aspionage

Despite Harry’s determination to make things right between him and his friends, he didn’t actually get a good opportunity to talk to them until Monday afternoon. The two of them had spent the whole morning sitting together at desks and decidedly ignoring Harry, which immediately withered any confidence he had to approach them and talk things through. Harry was too worried about what might happen, and the fear had paralysed him into inaction. He felt like losing Ron and Hermione would tug a loose thread in his chest free, unravelling his very being until nothing was left of him.

 

But as the day progressed, Harry forced himself to shove his worry to one side. He had to find a way to mend this rift, as difficult as it might seem. That afternoon, he made his way alone down the grassy verge to Care of Magical Creatures and decided he wasn’t going to go back into the castle without some resolution or another. Since they were now spending most of Care of Magical Creatures shoving shredded lettuce down the throats of Flobberworms, which wasn’t that mentally taxing, it made the class the perfect forum for a discussion. 

 

Harry immediately made his way up to the Flobberworms Ron and Hermione were tending to and looked at the two of them pleadingly. 

 

“I don’t want to fight with you two,” he said quietly. 

 

Hermione bit her lip, then sighed. “I don’t want to fight either. I hate this.”

 

“Er - sorry we went behind your back to McGonagall,” Ron mumbled, not meeting Harry’s eyes. “We were just worried, mate.”

 

“No, I get it,” Harry begrudgingly admitted. A slight awkward silence fell, broken only by the low chatter of the groups of other students around them. Harry shifted his weight from foot to foot, unsure of how to progress from here.

 

“We do trust you, Harry,” Hermione blurted out. “All of these things with Malfoy are just a lot to process at once. You said it yourself - we didn’t see him change like you apparently have…”

 

“I don’t expect you two to be mates with him or anything,” Harry said, “I just can’t go on hating him like I have before now.”

 

“I don’t see why not,” Ron muttered. Hermione elbowed him sharply and glared at him, and Ron’s ears went slightly red. He coughed. “Sorry. Habit.”

 

“Ron, imagine what it would be like if you and Percy violently hated each other and fought constantly,” Harry said, shredding more lettuce. “Wouldn’t that be miserable? Wouldn’t you rather get on with him and avoid all the arguments?”

 

“Me and Percy do fight constantly,” Ron pointed out.

 

“Yeah, but you don't hate him, do you?  And besides, your fights are him thinking you nicked his Head Boy badge. When Dra - when Malfoy and I fight, it gets really bitter,” Harry said. With a small amount of reluctance, he added, “And McGonagall pointed out to me that we’re basically - well, sort of stepbrothers, I guess.”

 

Hermione and Ron’s immediate horrified groans were highly amusing to him. 

 

“Look, I reacted the same way,” Harry said with a small laugh. “I don’t know what to call it, really, but we’re pretty interlinked now. I definitely don’t want to hate someone I’m living with every summer, and neither does he, so we’re trying to get over it. Wouldn’t you rather not have him constantly fighting with us, anyway?”

 

“Even if he likes you now, he still hates me.” Ron scowled. “Just because the two of you are making nice, I doubt he’ll stop hexing me…”

 

“I had a go at him about that and told him to leave you alone, actually,” Harry said irritably. “And he said he would.”

 

Ron looked surprised. “Really?”

 

“Like I said, he doesn’t want to fight with me, either. And that means not coming after my mates.”

 

Ron stared down at the Flobberworms, expression thoughtful. “Well, let’s see if he actually does what you say, then.”

 

“I think he will,” Harry said firmly. Because if he doesn’t, I’ll hex him, he added in his head.

 

He noticed Hermione was staring between the two of them, looking quite anxious.

 

“What is it?” Harry asked.

 

Hermione sighed softly. “I just don’t want you to get hurt, Harry.”

 

“I’m not going to.”

 

“It’s Professor Snape and Malfoy!” she said, wringing her hands anxiously. “They don’t have a good track record when it comes to being kind to you. I’m just worried about what could happen, that’s all.”

 

“You don’t have to be,” Harry bit out, trying not to be too snippy.

 

He felt like they were going in circles, but Harry knew he had to be more patient. They hadn’t seen all of the changes Snape and Draco had made, Harry reminded himself. Besides, it wasn’t fair to shout at Ron and Hermione when they were just trying to make sure he was okay. Harry could still remember Ron awkwardly sidling up to him at the Leaky Cauldron to check that the Dursleys hadn’t been too awful to him that summer, expression fearful. He supposed it had to be horrid to see your friend go through something like Harry had with his relatives without any power to do something - Harry knew it felt horrible for him to see Draco upset about his parents, after all…

 

“Harry, I’m always going to be worried,” Hermione said bluntly. “But I trust you. And if you say they’ve changed… well, I hope they have.”

 

Harry could tell from the resigned look on her face that she still didn’t quite believe it, but he knew that this was about as far as he was going to get with his friends right now. At least they were speaking, now. When this whole arrangement was a little less fresh a few months down the line, when his friends had more evidence that things weren’t going to completely implode, Harry really hoped he could change Ron and Hermione’s minds. He’d just have to make do for now, he supposed…

 

Harry found his eyes straying to Draco, who was currently poking at a Flobberworm with a disgusted look on his face. Once again, he was working alone, but there was something different about the other Slytherins today. Harry thought about it for a moment and realised that none of them had said a single bad word to Draco. Care of Magical Creatures up until now had been prime territory for Pansy Parkinson to start making snide, mean-spirited comments aimed at Draco, since he could be thoroughly embarrassed in front of the Gryffindors in the class. 

 

Not today, though. The Slytherins were all pointedly ignoring Draco, but no one had said a mean word to him. Harry caught a glimpse of Pansy’s face, which was affixed with an even fouler scowl than usual, and found himself wondering if Snape had had a word with the Slytherins or something.

 

This theory was only strengthened when their Care of Magical Creatures lesson concluded and their class ran into Snape in the Entrance Hall. He was standing in one corner, glaring malevolently at the passing Slytherins. They all paled noticeably under his ire and made an effort to quicken their pace as they scurried downstairs. Snape stalked after them, looking every part the bat of the dungeons.

 

Harry, who was admittedly rather nosy, decided to follow the man into the dungeons to ask about it. After all, Snape had said before that he wanted to see Harry when he wasn’t having to yell at Harry about something. He often forgot that he could even take Snape up on that, since Harry was so used to forgetting he had guardians while at Hogwarts. All of this was still quite the adjustment for him…

 

Harry bade a quick goodbye to Ron and Hermione with the promise to meet them in the Great Hall for dinner, then began to head down to Snape’s office. After a brief moment of hesitation, he reached out and knocked. The door swung open of its own accord.

 

“Harry.” Snape looked up from his desk and beckoned for him to come in. Harry did so, and the door swung shut behind him. “Draco’s not in at the moment.”

 

“Er - okay.” Harry cleared his throat and shoved his hands into the pockets of his robes. “I just - well, I wanted to say hi to you, actually.”

 

If Snape was surprised, he hid it well. There was only the briefest flash of something like shock in the back of his eyes. “Take a seat, then.”

 

Harry obeyed, while Snape retrieved his wand from his pocket and tapped the desk. A cup of tea appeared in an instant, which he pushed towards Harry. “I see you made up with your friends.”

 

Harry jolted upright. “How do you even know about that?!”

 

“I make it my business to know things,” Snape said, raising an eyebrow. “I believe I have also informed you before that you are the least subtle person to ever walk this earth. It is not particularly difficult to discern what is going on in your life if one simply pays attention. I noticed you weren’t sitting with them at meals or speaking to them and assumed there had been a falling out.”

 

“Oh.” Harry still didn’t know how he felt about that. He liked to think he was a little better than that at hiding his secrets…

 

“Any reason for the rift?” Snape inquired.

 

Harry gave a purposely vague shrug. “Eh, nothing important.”

 

Snape’s brows knitted together. “Might it have anything to do with a certain conversation they had with Professor McGonagall?”

 

“You know about that, too?!”

 

“She discussed it with me,” Snape said. His expression was almost misleadingly blank, and it set Harry’s teeth on edge.

 

“Why?”

 

“Because the complaint was about me, as you’ll recall.” He frowned. “She was bound to check that I was not mistreating you in some way.”

 

 “I promise I wasn’t badmouthing you or anything,” Harry said quickly, his heartbeat speeding up. “They just got the wrong idea about everything, I promise!”

 

“I never assumed you were badmouthing me.”

 

“And they didn’t mean anything by it,” Harry added a little desperately. “Look, I’ve already talked to them and explained, it’s just taking them a minute -”

 

Snape gave Harry a piercing look. “What precisely has gotten you into such a state?”

 

“I just don’t want you to be angry with them,” he said miserably.

 

“And what gives you the impression I am angry?”

 

Harry knew it sounded ridiculous - Snape was clinically calm, his tone level. Still that level of control was generally the result of Occlumency, and Occlumency almost always meant that Snape was forcibly controlling his emotions.

 

Except for his tell - the tightness in his jaw. A surefire sign of Snape irritation.

 

“I don’t know!” Harry said eventually, his shoulders slumping. He didn’t know how to put any of this into words. “You look all - all tense and stuff! You just seem annoyed!”

 

Snape’s eyebrows rose. “Well I’m certainly not happy to be accused of mistreating you. I am not going to act on that, which is what you’re implying I might do.”

 

“Right. Er - of course.” Harry felt his cheeks burn.

 

Snape sighed. “They’re just concerned about you, Harry. I do understand that, and Minerva certainly went to great lengths to emphasise that all of this came from a place of care on Granger and Weasley’s behalf. All is well.”

 

“Good,” Harry said, feeling some of the tightness in his chest loosen. By now, he’d grown to trust Snape’s word - the man wasn’t going to do anything, then.

 

That didn’t mean he wasn’t quite curious about conversations held that had something to do with him, though.

 

“So… what did Professor McGonagall tell you, then?”

 

“Nothing in detail,” Snape said. “Simply that there were concerns I might be mistreating you, which she addressed and alleviated with the whistleblowers. That is all.”

 

“Oh.” Harry fidgeted with the sleeve of his robe. “And you’re really not annoyed about that?”

 

“No.” The corner of his lips tugged into a slight frown. “Although I must admit I was rather alarmed by something else Professor McGonagall mentioned. Certain comments you made about me ‘getting rid of you’, I believe?” 

 

Harry ducked his head, hoping to hide the blush spreading on his face. He knew those sorts of anxious, vulnerable thoughts made him sound stupid and pathetic, but sometimes he couldn’t help but blurt them aloud…

 

“It’s not going to happen, you know,” Snape said.

 

“But I can’t know that,” Harry bit out. “Look, it’s nothing against you or anything, but how am I supposed to know for sure? With anyone?”

 

“Do you regularly see the parents of your peers discard their children over petty quarrels and the like?” Snape pointed out. “The guardianship papers I signed are just as legally binding as any other parent-child relationship. For one thing, it would be illegal for me to abandon you one day, and for another, I have no desire to. My mind is not going to change.”

 

“I could do something terrible or something, though!” Harry insisted. 

 

“What on earth are you going to do?” Snape asked exasperatedly.

 

“Well - like I could turn to a life of crime,” Harry said, splaying his hands wide. “I could have some dark side you haven’t seen yet - like what if I murdered a bunch of people?”

 

“Well, I do find myself regularly cowering in terror from your violent outbursts.” Snape’s tone was drier than the Sahara desert. “When you refused to allow me to squash that spider in August, that really cemented your future as a brutal killer in my mind.”

 

“It’s not that hard to just trap them and -” Harry cut himself off and made a frustrated noise. “Don’t distract me!”

 

Snape pressed his lips together, clearly trying to hide his amusement. “You are a far better person than you give yourself credit for, Harry. But nevertheless, I will assure you - even if you turned into a violent thug, I would not repudiate you. As a matter of fact, I would ensure I could obtain visiting permission for Azkaban to continue to lecture you about the consequences of your actions. You are unfortunately unable to escape me, even through a life of crime.”

 

Despite his best attempts to the contrary, Harry couldn’t stop his small snort of laughter. He thought that Snape’s lecturing would be a worse punishment than the Dementors…

 

“Any better?” Snape inquired.

 

Harry nodded, and a new wave of heat scorched his face. “Er - sorry I keep asking you this sort of thing over and over. I know it must be annoying.”

 

“You never need to apologise for asking for something so simple as reassurance,” Snape said, like it was the most obvious and logical thing in the world. “Reassurance I am quite happy to provide, I might add. I have been made aware that it might be… helpful to you.”

 

Suspicion settled over Harry. Someone had made Snape aware… or something?

 

“It was in that book of yours, wasn’t it?” Harry grumbled.

 

“Perhaps it was,” Snape said evasively. “A book that is still very available for you to read, if you wish to?”

 

Harry shivered. Something about that trauma book - or perhaps, about the confrontation with his childhood he’d have to endure if he read it - made icy fingers of dread curl their way around Harry’s heart.

 

“Yeah, no thanks.” Eager to steer away from the topic at hand, Harry asked, “Look, I have other things to talk about, anyway. Like the Slytherins.”

 

“What about the Slytherins?” Snape asked.

 

“They’ve gone all Hufflepuff suddenly,” Harry said. “They’re all quiet and scared of their own shadows and stuff, especially around you - I saw them. Did you scare them straight for Draco?”

 

Creases lined the space between Snape’s eyebrows. “I fail to see how that’s any of your business.”

 

“Well what if I want to know if I have to help Draco out or -”

 

“The situation has been handled,” Snape interrupted, holding out a hand.

 

Harry smirked. “So you did handle them yourself! What did you say? Did you go all scary on them?”

 

“Slytherin house matters remain within the house,” Snape said irritably. “Don’t be so nosy.”

 

Harry kept grinning as he reached out to sip his tea, which had finally cooled to the perfect temperature. As a now-scowling Snape reached for his own cup, Harry wondered if there was anything that the omniscient old bat didn’t know…

 

And then, it came to him.

 

“Perhaps I could hear a little bit about Slytherin house matters,” Harry said, setting his cup to one side, “since Sorting Hat wanted to put me into Slytherin, after all.”

 

Snape choked on his coffee. 

 

So you don't know everything, Harry thought smugly.

 

“Why on earth would the Sorting Hat want to do that?” Snape demanded once he’d recovered the ability to speak. “With your penchant for throwing yourself into danger, one would think you’re a Gryffindor shoe-in!”

 

“Apparently I had a thirst to prove myself, and the potential for greatness or something.” Harry shrugged. “The hat said Slytherin could help me on my way to greatness, but - er, well, I wasn’t really interested.”

 

“I see.” Snape slowly smirked. “Perhaps you do have some redeeming qualities, then. Will wonders never cease…”

 

Harry smiled into his tea. 

 


 

After making up with Ron and Hermione, Harry finally settled into a comfortable routine, which Snape and Draco were somehow now included in. On top of the usual business of lessons and Quidditch practices, Harry also found himself taking a trip down to the dungeons about twice a week to see the two of them. Snape was generally quite busy on weekdays and spent most of Harry’s visits sitting in his office, but he tended to leave the door open unless he had a student in with him. That meant he could chime in while Harry and Draco spoke, or could ask a few simple questions about Harry’s day. It was all delightfully mundane, in a way that made Harry almost giddy with happiness. He’d never had this sort of casual rapport with anyone but Ron or Hermione…

 

Harry normally ended up providing something of a distraction for Draco. After their last talk, which had been surprisingly frank and honest, Draco made a consistent effort to steer their conversations away from any serious topics. He staunchly refused to talk about Lucius’ trial, which Harry was careful to never bring up anyway, and pointedly ignored any subtle questions from Harry about how the situation in Slytherin was. Harry didn’t mind that much, though. If someone made him talk about all his problems with the Dursleys at all times, that would be completely miserable. Draco deserved the same courtesy, and if he just wanted to talk about their chess or Monopoly games, then so be it.

 

It was nice - that was the only word Harry could think of to describe it. Sitting in Snape’s quarters and hanging out with Draco was nice, it was comfortable, and Harry really enjoyed visiting them down there. He enjoyed their company.

 

Harry just wished he could talk to Ron and Hermione about it properly.

 

They currently had a great arrangement that consisted of them not discussing Harry’s living situation. He disappeared down to the dungeons twice a week, they didn’t comment on it, and they all avoided another fight. Harry knew that while they said they trusted him, Ron and Hermione still weren’t fully comfortable with his new relationships. Ron was generally less bothered about Snape for some odd reason but took greater issue with Draco, while Hermione was decidedly wary about both of them. As a rule, it was safer for Harry to just never raise the topic, which Ron and Hermione respected in turn.

 

To Harry’s surprise, though, Hermione actually brought it up to him, two weeks from the day that Draco had moved into the dungeons. She returned to Gryffindor Tower from the library, half-hidden behind a stack of books, and gave him a confused look.

 

“What is it?” he asked, turning his attention away from the Divination homework he and Ron were struggling through.

 

“Did you tell Malfoy to talk to me?” she asked slowly.

 

Harry frowned. “Er - no? Why?”

 

“Did he say anything to you?” Ron asked, jerking his head up. His expression immediately darkened with anger.

 

Hermione set down her books and slowly sat down in an armchair, looking completely nonplussed. “He… he apologised to me.”

 

“What?” Ron demanded, his jaw dropping open.

 

“Did he actually?” Harry asked, feeling just as shocked as Ron looked.

 

“Yeah,” Hermione said, her brows knitting together. “He came up to me in the library and said he was sorry for all the horrid names he called me, and for being such a prat about Muggleborns.”

 

“Wow,” Harry said faintly. 

 

“You really didn’t tell him to say that?” Hermione asked, frowning. “I sort of assumed you had.”

 

“I really didn’t,” Harry said. “I did have a go at him two weeks ago for all the stuff he said and he told me he didn’t believe Muggleborns are inferior anymore, but I didn’t make him say anything to you, Hermione.”

 

“I wonder why he did it, then,” Ron said, thoughtfully stroking his chin. 

 

Harry stared at him. “Because he doesn’t believe it anymore.”

 

“Sure,” Ron said, in a voice that clearly said how he didn’t believe that for a second.

 

“It was all really quite odd,” Hermione said, picking up a book and cracking it open. “I didn’t quite know what to say, honestly.”

 

“I wouldn't either. That sounds really weird,” Harry said slowly. He was very confused about what had happened and made a mental note to interrogate Draco as soon as possible.

 

Hermione shrugged. “Well, either way, I did appreciate it. I suppose he must have improved a little bit, Harry. I can’t imagine him ever saying sorry to me last year, even if he was being forced.”

 

Ron made an indignant spluttering sort of noise as a response, but Harry still smiled to himself. He couldn’t help but be pleased by the progress.

 


 

Harry made a beeline straight to the dungeons the next morning on Saturday to ask Draco what on earth Hermione had been talking about, but his interrogation was unfortunately held up by an irate portrait.

 

“The password has changed,” the cobra guarding Snape’s quarters informed him loftily.

 

Harry groaned. “Can’t you just let me in anyway? I’m always in and out of here, you see me!”

 

“What kind of security measures would that constitute, boy?” the snake demanded. “No entry!”

 

“But what am I supposed to do? Snape hasn’t told me the new password!” Harry complained.

 

The cobra made a shocked, indignant sort of noise. “And you certainly don’t deserve it, if you continue to address him without the proper honorifics! You youths have absolutely no respect for your hardworking elders, back in the day they’d have rulered your hands for being so rude…”

 

“Who are you to tell me any of this?” Harry said, crossing his arms. “You’re just a snake!”

 

This seemed to grievously offend the cobra. He drew himself to his full height, ruff flaring, fangs bared, and loudly hissed, “how dare you! I have been the watcher and guardian of this office corridor for over two hundred years, you insolent brat! I have seen generations of insignificant, snot-nosed adolescents traipse along -”

 

“Harry, what have you done?” Draco said exasperatedly from behind him. “Why does that snake look like it’s about to jump out of the portrait and bite you?”

 

“I think I pissed him off,” Harry said with a grimace, struggling to ignore the angry creature as his rant grew in volume. “I didn’t know the password.”

 

“Right - Severus was going to send you a note when he got back in. New password is ‘Salazar’.”

 

Harry turned back to the portrait and gave it a smug look.

 

“I have half a mind to refuse you entry anyway!” the cobra said angrily.

 

“It’s literally your entire job to let me through!” Harry shouted, feeling quite frustrated by now. The Fat Lady could get snippy, but she was never this bad! “Salazar, Salazar, Salazar! Bloody hell, let me in already!”

 

The snake bared his fangs again, but the hinges of the portrait swung open against his will, revealing the entrance to Snape’s quarters. Harry stepped through, but noticed Draco remained out in the hallway. His face had drained of all colour.

 

“What is it?” Harry asked with a frown. 

 

“I-I forgot you could do that,” Draco said in a slightly strained voice.

 

“Do what?” 

 

“Speak to snakes!” Draco said loudly, stepping into the quarters so the portrait shut behind them.

 

“Wait, was I speaking Parseltongue just then?”

 

“Yes.” Draco looked quite worried. “Did you not know?”

 

“It always just sounds like plain English to me,” Harry shrugged. “Don’t look so frightened! You know I can do it!”

 

“I don’t look frightened!” Draco said irritably. “It’s just a shock to see you doing it, that’s all. And it’s a bit creepy, really…”

 

“Rude.” Harry scowled, remembering the Chamber of Secrets affair from the previous year. All of that had made him thoroughly sick of people calling Parseltongue evil and creepy.

 

Draco noticed his reaction and quickly changed focus. “Does the portrait have anything interesting to say?”

 

“No.” Harry glared in the direction of the entranceway. “He’s a right dickhead.”

 

Draco frowned. “Can a snake be a dickhead?”

 

“That one certainly is,” Harry said darkly. 

 

Draco began to make his way over to his bedroom, while Harry trailed behind. He’d been in here a couple of times now - Draco’s bedroom was how Harry would imagine the Slytherin equivalent of the Gryffindor dormitories to look. There was a grand four-poster bed with green hangings, a silver and green rug carpeting the floor, and a few Slytherin pennants on the walls. There were other aspects of the room that Draco had personalised, though, like the bookshelves, or the slightly messy desk which he was currently placing a couple of arithmancy textbooks onto. At the top of the stack Harry noticed a newspaper - he caught a glimpse of a photograph upon the cover depicting a snake curling its way out of a skull’s mouth before Draco hurriedly slammed it in a drawer. 

 

“So… just wondering something,” Harry said casually, sitting on the end of Draco’s bed.

 

Draco looked up at him thoughtfully. “Yeah?”

 

“Er - Hermione mentioned you came up to her yesterday.”

 

Draco’s face instantly became rather pinched. “Ah.”

 

“Why did you do that?” Harry burst out. “Did Snape put you up to it, or did you -”

 

“He did not put me up to it!” Draco shouted, suddenly looking very angry. “Merlin’s beard, why does everyone always accuse me of having someone else puppetting my every action? First Granger, now you! Did it ever occur to you that I’m capable of making my own damn decisions?!”

 

“Sorry, sorry,” Harry said quickly, subconsciously backing away from him. He'd clearly touched a nerve. “I just didn’t understand why you would do something like that, is all -”

 

“Did it ever occur to you that perhaps I actually wanted to make amends?” Draco demanded.

 

“But you hate apologising!” Harry pointed out. “No offence, but even if you were sorry about something, you don’t tend to say the words unless someone makes you.”

 

Draco huffed, and glowered pointedly into the ground, but didn’t otherwise refute what Harry was saying.

 

“Why now, then?” he asked insistently.

 

Draco sighed, and looked at Harry hesitantly for several moments before speaking. “I… I was thinking about what you said the other day. When you asked me what I thought about Muggles and Muggleborns.”

 

Harry gave him a surprised look. “You did?”

 

“Yeah. Er - it all sounded quite bad when you laid it out like that. Just made me think, I suppose.” Draco crossed his legs beneath him. “Severus has been having a lot of talks with me, as usual, and - well, long story short, there have been a lot of lectures about the appropriateness of apologising and stuff, and I sort of thought that applied to Granger, and I know you don’t want me to be nasty to your friends, so…”

 

Harry couldn’t help but smile to himself. Draco had seriously gone up to Hermione and had apologised. Draco! He wasn’t even being forced to do so!

 

“What are you grinning about?” Draco asked irritably.

 

“Nothing,” he said cheerfully. “Just thinking about how you’ve changed.”

 

"Oh, shut up," Draco grumbled, throwing a pillow at him. 

 


 

As the term progressed and the month of October marched on, Harry found himself becoming slightly distracted from the issues of Draco, Snape and his friends. He had larger, newer concerns to deal with; namely, the upcoming Hogsmeade trip. The date had at last been set for Halloween, and the whole common room was buzzing with excited chatter, discussing where they would go and what they would see in the village. 

 

Harry, on the other hand, found himself morosely withdrawing from it all. Uncle Vernon had refused to sign his permission slip back in July, and Harry wasn't entirely certain if Snape even could give him permission, seeing as Harry was supposed to keep this whole guardianship thing hushed up. Plus, Harry had something of a gut feeling about what Snape’s answer would probably be. 

 

“I reckon you should go ask McGonagall to give you permission,” Ron said decidedly, once Harry’s moping had grown too obvious to ignore.

 

“Ron!” Hermione said, tone severe. “Harry’s supposed to stay in school -”

 

‘Black’s not fool enough to try anything in Hogsmeade,” Ron said dismissively. “Come on, Harry, the next one might not be for ages, you should at least ask -”

 

“Yeah, I will,” Harry decided.

 

He made a beeline for Professor McGonagall’s desk at the end of Transfiguration, after a quick reminder from her for them all to hand in their permission forms. He stood there nervously, waiting for the rest of the class to disappear. 

 

Professor McGonagall set her quill down and examined Harry over her square spectacles. “Yes, Potter?”

 

“Professor, my aunt and uncle - er, well, they didn’t sign my form,” Harry said haltingly. “And I - well, I can’t exactly ask them now, considering…”

 

Professor McGonagall frowned. “Do you or do you not have a new guardian to take care of things of this nature, Potter?”

 

“Well - I didn’t know if I was allowed to go to him, since - er, since the stuff with him is supposed to be secret and all -”

 

“The Hogwarts staff are the ones with jurisdiction over Hogsmeade permission slips, not the Ministry for Magic,” Professor McGonagall said. “Professor Snape has full control over your Hogwarts business, so you’ll need to go to him for this, not me.”

 

“Oh. Um, okay. Thanks, professor.”

 

Harry began to shuffle out of the classroom, a sinking sensation in his stomach. He somehow had the feeling that Snape was not going to be particularly enthusiastic about this…

 


 

“No.”

 

“But -”

 

“You’re not going,” Snape said flatly, tapping a stack of papers against his desk and neatly filing them away.

 

“Why not?!” Harry complained.

 

“You know perfectly well why not, or do the words ‘Sirius Black, mass murderer’ mean nothing to you?”

 

“Black’s not fool enough to try anything in Hogsmeade!” Harry said, echoing Ron’s words from earlier.

 

“Black is mad, and Black was recently sighted in Scotland!” Snape hissed. “We have no idea what he may or may not do! When he is caught, this is open to change, but for now you will stay in the castle."

 

“Everyone else is going!” Harry shouted. “I bet you gave Draco permission, didn’t you?!”

 

“As Draco does not have a murderer out for his blood, I did,” Snape said coolly. 

 

“See? Completely unfair!” he yelled. “You’re just doing this because - because you like him more than me, don’t you?! That’s why he gets to do stuff I never get to do!”

 

“Shouting unfounded accusations about my impartiality at me is not going to make me change my mind, Harry,” Snape said, brushing his robes down and getting to his feet. He was infuriatingly calm, which just made Harry angrier. “Your circumstances are completely different, as you certainly understand. My answer is no.”

 

A strange, furious emotion clawed its way into Harry's chest. It was something that the Dursleys had beaten out of him at a very young age - that deep sense of want, and the accompanying urge to kick out and throw a fit when met with the wrong answer to his request. Who the hell was Snape to decide all of this? Who was he to boss Harry around? The outrage was like a tiny little gremlin, trying to fight its way out of Harry's body - he had to actively struggle against the urge to stamp his foot like a petulant child. God, where had that come from? Instead of expressing all of that, Harry settled for scowling fiercely at Snape.

 

“I still think it's unfair!” he complained. “You're being stupid!”

 

“Do not speak to me in that manner.” Snape's expression went from calm to stern in an instant. Harry shrank back slightly as Snape stalked over to him. “If you want to continue this discussion, you'll keep a civil tongue in your head.”

 

Snape scolding him only served to make Harry even more outraged, for some reason. The gremlin-like emotion finally won its battle for dominance. 

 

“Fine!” he shouted. “I don’t want to keep talking, so I’ll just go, then! You’re nasty, and unfair, and I hate you!” 

 

He spun on his heel and stormed out of the office moments later, leaving a weary-looking Snape behind. When Harry’s anger had calmed a bit later on, he would feel remarkably guilty about that last comment, a phrase he didn’t mean and probably shouldn’t have said. He was just so angry, for reasons he couldn't quite articulate…

 

Still, despite the small pang of guilt, he wasn’t too happy with Snape - or Hermione, who had spontaneously decided to relax on her Snape wariness on the one occasion where Harry actually wanted to be angry with the greasy git. She seemed to agree that Harry shouldn’t be allowed to go to Hogsmeade on account of Black, to his immense irritation.

 

But there was nothing to be done. Instead of getting swept up in the eager anticipation of the trip, Harry spent the next week and a half before Halloween trying to ignore his classmates excitedly talking about Hogsmeade while feeling desperately miserable. He was very annoyed with Snape and spent most of Potions with his head bowed, refusing to make eye contact with the man. 

 

Harry also stopped visiting Draco down in Snape’s quarters. If he took a trip down into the dungeons it carried far too high of a chance for Harry to run into Snape, which was utterly unacceptable. 

 

That wasn’t just it, though. There was something else colouring Harry’s opinion of Draco right now -  jealousy. Snape might have thought that Harry was throwing out unfounded accusations in his office the other day, but he did sometimes think that Snape liked Draco much more than he liked Harry. He was Draco’s godfather, and they had so much more in common; both being Slytherins, Potions, general demeanour… all of that coupled with his elevated privileges to go into Hogsmeade made Harry rather reluctant to see him, since the bitterness was so all-consuming…

 

Harry did end up feeling a little guilty about this behaviour when Draco waylaid him after a Potions lesson and dragged Harry into an obscured alcove.

 

“I tried to convince him to let you go, but no luck,” Draco said in a low voice. “it's completely rotten of him, Harry. He’s being ridiculous!”

 

Harry sighed to himself.

 

“I’ll bring you back a load of stuff, okay?” Draco promised. “And I’ll get you a couple of Zonko’s pranks you can use on Severus as revenge.”

 

Guilt stirred in Harry. Suddenly, his behaviour over the last week and a half seemed a lot less like justifiable irritation and more like targeting his annoyance at someone who didn’t have anything to do with Harry’s situation. Draco hadn’t asked for Snape to be so annoyingly restrictive with Harry, after all.

 

“I’m sorry I haven’t come down,” he said guiltily.

 

Draco shrugged, making a clear effort at nonchalance. “I understand.”

 

“Er - I’ll come with Hermione to the library sometime this week and see you there instead, if you’d like,” Harry promised. “I just really don’t want to see him right now…”

 

“What is Granger up to, by the way?” Draco asked. “Is she taking all the courses or something? She’s got far too many textbooks for one girl, in my opinion.”

 

Harry smiled. “That’s just Hermione for you.”

 

“Speaking of Granger, I’ll let you get back to her before she and Weasley think I’ve kidnapped you and try to stage a counterstrike,” Draco said, pulling a face. “See you in the library, then. Oh, and I’ll try and talk Severus into it again -”

 

“Don’t bother,” Harry said wearily. “He won’t budge, and you’ll just end up fighting with him, too.”

 


 

After his chat with Draco, Harry went from being angry to just feeling rather depressed about the whole situation. He absolutely hated conflict, and he was starting to really regret how he’d acted in Snape’s office. Sure, he was being an unfair git, but he’d been calm and relaxed while Harry had shouted at him like a child and said he hated Snape. That wasn’t fair. He was angry at Snape, but he didn’t hate him…

 

All in all, the various problems left Harry feeling very despondent on the morning of the Hogsmeade trip. He wasn’t even buoyed by the various promises of sweets from his friends, and decided that today was destined to be a ruined day.

 

Until he bumped into Professor Lupin, that was.

 

To Harry’s shock, he found himself feeling a lot better than he had in a fortnight while in Professor Lupin’s office, talking about Grindylows and Boggarts and Dementors. It was a relief to find out that the man hadn’t thought Harry was weak or something on the day he’d stepped in front of Harry in Defence against the Dark Arts - he had simply been worried that the Boggart would turn into Voldemort. Harry supposed that sounded reasonable, and felt considerably lighter without that worry weighing on him.

 

Of course, Snape had to enter the office moments later, reminding Harry of just how wretched he’d been feeling about the Hogsmeade situation and Snape’s role in it. 

 

“Ah, Severus,” Lupin said, smiling. “Thanks very much. Could you leave it here on the desk for me?”

 

 Snape set a smoking goblet down, his black eyes not leaving Harry once. He felt slightly unnerved, like Snape was x-raying him. Was he using Legilimency or something?

 

“I was just showing Harry my Grindylow,” Lupin said, seemingly immune to the tension that had settled over the office. He pointed at the tank, and the creature within growled from its nest of seaweed.

 

“Fascinating,” Snape drawled. His tone clearly conveyed that he couldn’t care less. “Harry, I’d like a word.”

 

“Er -” Harry said, pointedly looking between Lupin and Snape.

 

“Don’t let me hold you up, Harry,” Lupin said pleasantly, picking up the smoking goblet. “I ought to get back to my work, at any rate. It was nice speaking with you.”

 

“You too. Thanks for the tea.” Harry got to his feet with a sigh. He supposed that after a week and a half of avoidance, he was more than overdue for a talk with Snape…

 

“You should drink that directly, Lupin,” Snape instructed, backing towards the door. 

 

“Yes, yes, I will,” Lupin said. "Goodbye, Harry."

 

As soon as the office door swung shut, Harry turned to Snape and tersely asked, "What?"

 

"There is no need to be so snippy with me," Snape said, scowling at him.

 

"Yeah, well I was kind of in the middle of something!"

 

"What did Lupin want with you, anyway?" Snape snarled.

 

"To talk. Or am I suddenly not allowed to do that, either?" Harry bit out.

 

Snape's shoulders tensed. "You will get permission when Black is recaptured, so I'd advise that you drag yourself out of this childish strop and get on with your life in the meantime."

 

Harry exalted out of his nose harshly, grinding his teeth. When he thought he had enough control of himself to not say something he regretted, he muttered, "What is it, then? Did you want to talk, or did you just come to have a go at me?"

 

A muscle in Snape's jaw twitched slightly before he opened his mouth to begin speaking. "I came to ask if you were alright."

 

For some reason, that really made Harry's temper flare, and he felt his very little patience give out.

 

"I am not bloody alright with you stopping me from going to Hogsmeade! I'd have thought that I’ve made that pretty obvious!" Harry snapped.

 

Snape's eyes flashed. "You most certainly have, Potter. You have made your feelings extraordinarily clear! After all, you hate me, don't you?"

 

Harry felt like he'd been hit very hard in the stomach. Snape's voice was cold - the iciness of his tone and the coldness in his eyes froze Harry's very blood in his veins as the man continued speaking, tone laced with a dangerous kind of anger. 

 

"My life does not entirely revolve around juvenile concerns such as visits to the local village, Potter!" he spat. "I was asking after your wellbeing because it is October 31st, and I thought you might appreciate the support on the anniversary of your parents' deaths! I see now I oughtn't to have bothered!"

 

Snape strode away in the opposite direction in a flurry of dark robes, leaving Harry frozen against the wall, reeling. He imagined the moment of freefall between being thrown from a cliff edge and hitting the ground must feel something like this - a stomach-lurching moment of anticipation… 

 

Then came the impact.

 

Harry was awful. He hadn't even thought about it. He'd been so wrapped up with his misery over Hogsmeade, and being angry at Snape, and trying to navigate the complexities of holding a friendship between Ron, Hermione and Draco that he hadn't thought once of his mother and father today. 

 

It had happened today.

 

Harry ran his fingers over the lightning bolt scar on his forehead and leaned heavily against the wall. He felt rather faint.

 

Harry hadn't known the date his parents had died as a child, since the 'car crash' that had killed Lily and James Potter was a strictly forbidden topic. Before the age of eleven, Halloween had just been a slightly miserable day where Harry got to sit in a cupboard and listen to happy children trick-or-treat in the hallway just beyond while a costumed Dudley feasted on a massive bag of sweets Harry wasn't allowed near. 

 

He hasn't known the date in time in his first year of Hogwarts. Harry didn't remember precisely when he'd found that out, but it wasn’t like Harry had commemorated it in any way after discovering it had happened on Halloween. He'd been otherwise occupied. Death Day parties, ancient Chambers of Secrets filled with Muggleborn-killing basilisks… he'd been distracted.

 

He'd craved the distraction, perhaps. 

 

Harry was terrible. He should be doing… something, right? But what? He didn't know what you were supposed to do on the anniversary of your parents' deaths, especially since he hadn't grown up commemorating them on the actual date. His sadness for his orphanhood was reserved for other times, like ignored birthdays, sad, lonely Christmases, and long, sleepless nights in his cupboard when all he wanted was for someone to soothe him back into sleep after a nightmare. It was so hard, because Harry just didn't know them. He didn’t know what they would have wanted him to do.

 

But they were his parents! How could he just forget them like he had? 

 

Harry numbly wandered back up to Gryffindor Tower, completely and utterly ignoring a rather chatty Colin Creevey in the common room. Harry pulled the hangings around his bed and curled into a very small ball, hoping it would ease the ache of despair in his core.

 

He wished he could talk to Snape about this. He always had a way of making things make sense…

 

But Harry couldn't talk to Snape. He didn't deserve to talk to Snape. He'd told Snape he hated him for no good reason, and he'd clearly upset the man. Besides, Snape had way more of a right to be upset today than Harry did. He knew Harry's mum, his grief was the proper kind. Harry sometimes had horrible thoughts, where he wondered if he grieved the individual people his parents were or just the idea of them. If the Dursleys had been kind to him, would he still miss them? Harry thought he was an awful person for even wondering that.

 

No wonder nobody wanted anything to do with Harry.

 

He didn't deserve to grieve for them. Harry didn't deserve parents, not when he couldn't even remember to be properly upset on the day they died, like they deserved, because they were good, brave people, while Harry was rotten and awful. 

 

He certainly didn't deserve parental figures, or anything, because he did stupid nasty things like shout at them about Hogsmeade forms. God, it all just seemed so stupid, and Harry wished he could take it back, but he couldn't. He ruined everything. 

 

Harry took the photo album Hagrid had given him and flipped through it for a very long time. He tried to pretend his eyes weren't stinging and blurry, that his throat didn't feel choked and itchy, and stared hard at his parents' faces, smiling and happy, blissfully unaware of the fate that would befall them. When it grew too unbearable, he shut the album and held it close to his chest. He felt so achingly lonely. 

 


 

Harry didn't want to go to the feast.

 

He knew Ron and Hermione had returned from Hogsmeade, bearing gifts. He knew that they knew he was moping, because Ron tried shaking Harry awake while he determinedly pretended to be asleep. Ron knew Harry was ignoring him, but eventually sighed and promised to bring him up a roll from dinner. He also added a muttered comment about Crookshanks trying to eat Scabbers that only served to make Harry feel even worse - so now Ron and Hermione were fighting again, too…

 

Harry could not bring himself to go to that feast. He knew it would be delicious, and wonderful, and fun, and Harry decidedly did not deserve to experience that because he was a terrible son.

 

Snape'll be angry with you for skipping meals.

 

This did not affect Harry's decision significantly, because he was not only a terrible son, but a terrible ward, and Snape already was disappointed in him and wanted nothing to do with Harry, so what was one more terrible decision? Of course, Snape being disappointed would mean he was actually invested in Harry which, after today, he doubted was the case. Snape was probably washing his hands of Harry at that very moment, because all he did was push at people and say horrible things without thinking and forget his dead parents.

 

Which he was doing again. Harry shook himself out of the thoughts of self-hatred and returned to the important matters. What did people even do in this situation? Visit the dead person's grave and talk to them or leave flowers?

 

Harry didn't even know where his parents' grave was. What sort of person didn't know that? They were his parents! How could he not know? 

 

Were they even buried somewhere, actually? What if they'd been cremated? Where would the ashes go? Harry was suddenly overcome by a very vivid mental image of Aunt Petunia pouring the contents of an urn into a wheelie bin and decided for his sake to hope it was a grave. 

 

Harry rolled over, buried his face in a pillow, and screamed a muffled scream. He was filled with so many jagged, swirling emotions, and he had to let some of it out or else he would quite literally explode. Once he was done, Harry was half convinced he could hear screaming still, but it couldn't be him because it sounded vaguely feminine, and his voice certainly wasn't that high-pitched. It reminded Harry a bit of the weird screaming he'd heard on the train with the Dementor, actually…

 

There would be a cruel irony in a Dementor showing up right now, Harry thought. He wondered if its powers would even work on Harry, since he thought it was impossible for him to feel any more wretched than he already did. 

 

Well, it was a Dementor. Harry didn't fancy his odds. He made the remarkably un-Gryffindorish decision to bury his head under his pillow until further notice in the hopes that it could help. When he finally surfaced, realising that perhaps the screaming was not him finally going mad but could be an actual person in distress, the sound had gone. Harry had probably been imagining it, then. He returned to his duvet nest for further moping.

 

He wasn't sure how much time passed before the next disturbance. All Harry knew was that one moment, he was lying in the darkness and contemplating matters of grieving, and in the next there were pounding footsteps thudding on the staircase outside. It was probably the fourth-year boys - they liked to run around the tower like a stampede of elephants, something that Percy was prone to yelling at them about. If they were back, the feast had to be over.

 

Moments later, the door to his dormitory flew open so violently it hit the wall with a bang. Someone shouted, "Harry?!"

 

Okay. Decidedly not normal. Harry removed his head from underneath the pillow just in time to witness his curtains being violently ripped open, revealing Snape. His wand was clutched in his hand, and he looked frantic and wild, almost feral.

 

"Did he get in?" Snape demanded. "Are you alright?"

 

"What’s going on?” 

 

Alarm swept over Harry in an instant. Snape pulled the duvet off of him and grabbed onto his shoulders with a vice grip. He began looking Harry up and down, almost as if he was scanning for injuries. 

 

"Um - mind explaining?" Harry said blankly. He was still reeling from the absolute wrongness of Snape in Gryffindor Tower, of all places. "What happened?"

 

"Sirius Black." Harry looked over Snape's shoulders and saw Professor McGonagall standing in his doorway, clutching her heart. Her face was deathly pale. "He attacked Hogwarts tonight, while we were occupied with the feast. He came at the Fat Lady with a knife."

 

"What?" Harry demanded. "Why would he do that?!"

 

"Because she wouldn't give Black the password to Gryffindor Tower," Snape said gravely. "She wouldn't give him access to you."

To be continued...
A Fractious November by aspionage

When Snape at last seemed satisfied that Black hadn’t managed to get in and stab Harry, he was promptly escorted out of his dormitory by both of the professors. Harry was far too scared of Professor McGonagall’s gaunt, pinched face and Snape’s livid expression to dare ask too many questions about what was happening as he was hurried out of the portrait hole. Harry caught a sight of the slashed, torn canvas and cringed. He hoped the Fat Lady was alright…

 

Within a minute, Harry joined the tail end of a long line of Gryffindors, who were being led back to the Great Hall by the Prefects. Professor McGonagall stayed within arms reach of Harry, while Snape broke away as soon as Harry was in the others, lips pressed into a thin white line, visibly shaking with anger. His wand was clenched so tightly in his fist that Harry thought it would surely snap clean in two. He wasn’t sure if it was because Snape was furious with him or furious about Black’s break-in, but either way, he didn’t like seeing the man so angry…

 

When Harry entered the Great Hall, Ron and Hermione both pounced on him immediately and dragged Harry into a corner. Hermione was on the verge of tears.

 

“We were so worried!” she gasped, squeezing Harry’s hand in a vice grip. “When we came up and found the portrait, and Peeves said it was Black, and we remembered you were s-still inside -”

 

“I’m fine, Hermione,” Harry said quickly. “Honest. I didn’t even know he was out there.”

 

“I’ve never seen Snape that angry,” Ron said in a low voice. “As soon as he got up there with the rest of the teachers and didn’t see you with us, he dragged Hermione and me around the corner and started interrogating us two about where you’d been. He noticed you weren’t at the feast.”

 

“It was awful,” Hermione whispered. “W-We told him you were in the tower still, and his face went all white, and he practically blasted through into Gryffindor Tower with Professor McGonagall…”

 

“We really thought Black got you, mate,” Ron said, staring at Harry with wide, worried eyes.

 

Confused-looking students from the other houses gradually began to filter in through the Great Hall doors to join the Gryffindors, while the Gryffindors filled them in.

 

“So… did you hear anything at all?” Ron asked hesitantly.

 

“I think so,” Harry said with a wince. “I, er - I was kind of distracted, but I thought I heard a woman screaming faintly. By the time I decided I should check it out, it stopped. I’m guessing it was the Fat Lady.”

 

“Oh, Harry!” Hermione said, pressing a hand to her mouth. “What if he’d broken in?”

 

“He didn’t, though,” Harry said, trying his best to be reassuring for the sake of his friends. They both looked incredibly shaken, so Harry thought he ought to put aside his own feelings for their sake. They looked just as shocked as Harry felt. He couldn’t believe that there had only been a portrait standing between him and Black…

 

Professors McGonagall and Flitwick shut all the doors to the Great Hall with a resounding thud, while Dumbledore drew the attention of all the chattering students, commanding them into silence. 

 

“The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle,” Dumbledore said gravely. The usual twinkle in his eye was gone. “I’m afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the Prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the Hall, and I am leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately,” he added to Percy, “Send word with one of the ghosts.” 

 

Professor Dumbledore waved his wand, and the long house tables flew to the sides of the Hall. The empty floor space was crammed with hundreds of purple sleeping bags moments later. Dumbledore retreated to the main doors and said, “Sleep well.” 

 

Harry, to the contrary, did not think he was going to be sleeping very much at all that night. He, Ron and Hermione hurried into a corner with their sleeping bags, all whispering to each other about how Black could have gotten in and if he might still be in the castle, all while Percy prowled about, telling off people for talking. Harry rather thought he was fighting a losing battle; when one area of the hall was shushed into silence, another would instantly burst into hissed conversation while his back was turned. 

 

Many people had fallen asleep by around three in the morning, but Harry was still lying half-awake when Dumbledore returned to the Great Hall. Harry pretended to be sleeping as he whispered to Percy, confirming that Black hadn’t been found anywhere in the castle. Moments later, the Great Hall doors swung open, and more footsteps shuffled inside. Harry tensed as he recognised the low rumble of Snape’s voice join the discussion. 

 

“You remember the conversation we had, Headmaster, just before the start of term?” Snape said very softly.

 

“I do, Severus,” Dumbledore said. There was a clear and obvious note of warning in his voice.

 

“It seems almost impossible that Black could have entered the school without inside help. I did express my concerns when you appointed -”

 

“I do not believe a single person inside this castle would have helped Black enter it,” Dumbledore said firmly. Still, Snape was undeterred. 

 

“Nothing but a portrait stood between them,” he hissed, his voice growing terse. Harry dared to slit his eyes open to get a better look at the quickly escalating argument. Dumbledore’s back was to Harry, but he could clearly see Snape’s hunched, angry profile as he stood barely an inch from the Headmaster. The whites of his eyes almost glowed from the light of the ghosts. “When I think of what could have happened -”

 

“And nothing did happen, Severus,” Dumbledore said softly. “We were lucky, I admit, but do not let your emotions paralyse you.”

 

“That luck will not hold out,” Snape growled. “I want more precautions. No, I demand them.”

 

“I am in complete agreement about that, but this can all be discussed in the morning,” Dumbledore said, sweeping out of Harry’s eyeline. “Now, I must go down to the Dementors. I said I would inform them when our search was complete.”

 

“Didn’t they want to help, sir?” Percy asked. Snape scowled at him, and he shrank away.

 

“Oh yes,” Dumbledore said icily. “But I’m afraid no Dementor will cross the threshold of this castle while I am Headmaster.”

 

He walked from the hall without another word, his footsteps gradually fading. An abashed-looking Percy left Snape to do another circuit of the Great Hall. Harry kept watching through his eyelashes, expecting Snape to move away, but he didn’t. He stood vigil next to Harry’s sleeping bag, staring directly at Harry, face too darkened by shadow to read. Harry watched back through his eyelashes, pretending to be asleep and waiting to see when Snape would go, until his half-open eyes drooped down enough to the point where he finally drifted off.

 

When they were all woken up by the teachers the next morning for breakfast, Harry felt like he’d barely slept at all. He tuned out the continual chatter about Black, since he had to consciously talk himself through the process of bringing his fork to his mouth to avoid accidentally stabbing himself in the face in his sleep-deprived haze. 

 

Harry had just finished his struggle to eat like a functional human being when he realised everyone at the table around him had gone silent and were staring at something behind him. Harry turned his head and jolted slightly - Snape was waiting, arms crossed.

 

“Potter. With me.”

 

He began to stalk from the Great Hall. Harry shrugged at the confused-looking Ron and Hermione and followed Snape out, filled with the sinking feeling that he had to be in trouble for something. He could think of any number of things; namely, the horrible argument he’d had with the man yesterday. Or Sirius Black. Or, perhaps Harry had done something wrong he hadn’t even considered yet…

 

His worried loop of thoughts were disrupted as Snape opened the door to his office and settled behind his desk. “Sit,” he ordered. “We have a lot to discuss.”

 

Harry nervously settled opposite Snape, fidgeting with the fraying hem of his sleeves. 

 

“You weren’t at the feast.”

 

Harry winced. That was the trouble, then.

 

“Why?” Snape was eerily calm. His Occlumency shields were stronger than ever, and Harry shivered.

 

“An answer, Harry,” he said sharply.

 

“I didn’t want to go,” he muttered, not meeting Snape’s gaze. 

 

Snape made an exasperated growling noise. “I am absolutely sick of this Hogsmeade tantrum of yours! You do not get to skip meals because you’re upset about perfectly reasonable restrictions on -”

 

“It wasn’t about bloody Hogsmeade!” Harry said loudly. “I didn’t want to go because of my parents, okay?!”

 

Snape’s shoulders sagged. He ran his hands over his face, suddenly looking just as exhausted as Harry felt. He suddenly realised that while he’d slept fitfully, Snape almost certainly hadn’t slept at all. He’d have been up all night, looking for Black.

 

“You do not miss meals,” Snape said firmly. His tone sounded stern, but the lack of a punishment tacked onto that sentence let Harry know he was getting off lightly. He supposed that the near-death experience had lessened Snape’s anger towards him.

 

“Do you know how Black got in?” he asked hesitantly.

 

“If I knew, we’d have found him,” Snape bit out.

 

Harry didn’t respond, and went back to picking at his sleeve.

 

“Gryffindor Tower isn’t safe,” Snape said abruptly.

 

Harry frowned. “But Black didn’t get in.”

 

“He could have,” Snape growled. “And it’s a miracle that he didn’t. I don’t trust Sir Cadogan with your safety, so the Headmaster and I have come to a new agreement for your safety. You will be moving into my quarters.”

 

“What?!” Harry shouted. “No way!”

 

“I don’t recall asking you,” Snape said coolly.

 

“You’re mad!” he said angrily. “That’s a complete overreaction, he didn’t even get in!”

 

“But he could have!” Snape hissed.

 

“Everyone else gets to be in Gryffindor Tower!” Harry shouted. “I don’t want to be the only one who’s got to live with you!” 

 

“Perhaps, for just a moment, attempt to deflate your ego and actually consider everyone else!” Snape yelled back. “Black is after you, Harry, last night’s attack certainly proved that! If you stay in Gryffindor Tower, Black may attempt to break in again, and you will be putting every single one of your classmates in danger by staying in there. It’s incredibly selfish!”

 

Harry abruptly felt the rest of his ready protests die on his tongue. His indignance dropped away, and was replaced by a feeling of absolute shame. It burned in his stomach, and Harry bowed his head. Snape was right - he was selfish. He was putting everyone in danger by just being at Hogwarts, really…

 

“I’ll go get my stuff,” Harry said dully.

 

A pained expression crossed Snape’s face. He looked almost remorseful, like he was on the verge of saying something, but Harry couldn’t hear it. He felt terrible. Selfish.

 

“Harry…”

 

“Won’t you and Draco be in danger if I’m here?” Harry asked softly, dreading the answer.

 

“Believe me, Black will not get in here,” Snape said. Most of the anger had died from his face, to be replaced with something akin to pity. “Gryffindor Tower is less impenetrable, I fear.”

 

“I’ll go now,” he said, standing up and turning around. “While there aren’t that many people up from breakfast.”

 

Harry thought the only thing worse than being forced to move out of Gryffindor Tower would be all of his housemates seeing him go. He hated feeling different. 

 

Snape sighed. “A house-elf will bring your belongings down when you’ve packed them. Come back afterwards and meet me here.”

 

Harry fled the office moments later.

 

Snape probably wasn’t happy about this either. Harry was occupying his space. Sucking up his free time. Saying horrible things to him and still shouting at him that morning, even though Harry had spent all of yesterday feeling terrible for doing so and knew better. What was wrong with Harry? Why did he keep digging himself deeper and deeper into this hole?

 

He packed quickly. Harry didn’t want to go back down there and face Snape, but he simultaneously didn’t want Ron, Seamus, Dean or Neville to come up from breakfast to find him like this. After casting one last longing look around his dormitory, Harry headed back to the dungeons, taking great care to avoid any Gryffindors who were making their way back up from the Great Hall.

 

Harry knocked on the office door, feeling strangely reluctant to go through the portrait of the snake for some reason he couldn’t articulate. Snape opened it, looking slightly confused, but wordlessly ushered Harry through the hidden bookshelf entrance to his quarters.

 

“Your room is opposite Draco’s,” Snape said.

 

Harry frowned. “There isn’t a room opposite Draco’s.”

 

“The castle has a way of knowing,” he said vaguely. Harry, who was growing used to the various quirks of Hogwarts by now, didn’t question it further. Snape led the way to Draco’s room, where a new door made of dark wood had indeed appeared across the hall. Snape gestured to the room within.

 

It was about the same size as Harry’s room in Spinner’s End, but felt slightly larger because he was the only occupant. The whole place was rather bare-bones; a wardrobe, desk, and a four-poster bed with dark green hangings, designed like Harry’s one from Gryffindor Tower. His trunk was at the base of it. Harry thought that something about the room felt strange, but it took him a good few moments to put his finger on it: the window didn’t actually let in actual sunlight, but rather the greenish, wavering light of the lake. Harry thought back to the widespread views available from Gryffindor Tower of the grounds and was hit by another wave of sadness.

 

“How does this work, then?” Harry asked awkwardly. “Am I locked in here all the time from now on, then?”

 

Snape scowled. “Don’t be ridiculous, of course not. My only requirements are that you return here after dinner in the evenings, and that you don’t travel the corridors unaccompanied from now on.”

 

Harry frowned. “How am I meant to get down here, then?”

 

“Get Granger and Weasley to walk you down before they return to Gryffindor Tower. Perhaps Draco, even.”

 

Harry thought that there wasn’t exactly much Ron, Hermione or Draco could do when faced with Black, but wisely didn’t mention that to Snape. He’d probably put even more restrictions on him if he put that together…

 

“You can leave anytime you wish, then,” Snape said, turning his face away. “Draco will presumably accompany you. I heard him return from breakfast a few minutes ago.”

 

“Oh. Okay.” Harry swallowed hard. Of course, Snape would want to kick him out at the earliest opportunity. After all the problems they’d been having, he definitely didn’t want Harry around, taking up space. “Bye, then.”

 

He walked past Snape quickly. Draco looked up at him, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

 

“I’m leaving. Come with me?”

 

“Okay…”

 

The fact that he was forced to have a minder really irked Harry, but he didn’t dare disobey Snape directly in the man’s view, so he hurried onwards, Draco trailing a little behind. Of course, as soon as he was far enough away from Snape’s office, Harry stopped walking and turned to Draco. “You can leave now.”

 

Draco frowned. “Severus literally just told me to stay with you -”

 

“I don’t care,” Harry said tersely. “Go do whatever you want, I’m not going to snitch.”

 

“No way.” Annoyingly enough, Draco decided to continue to follow Harry as he made his way out of the dungeons. “Look, if Black pops out from behind a suit of armour and knifes you, I will not be held responsible because I wasn’t with you!”

 

“Can’t you just leave it?” Harry snapped. “I want to be alone!”

 

“If you want me to, I can show you a private hiding spot I like?” Draco offered. “Because I’m not leaving.”

 

Harry huffed. “Fine.”

 

Draco led Harry up the stairs and to the third-floor corridor, where they stopped outside of a large tapestry of a sleeping Welsh Green dragon. Draco lifted up the corner of the tapestry and ducked underneath the heavy fabric. Feeling a small spark of curiosity amongst the irritation, Harry followed through and hauled himself up onto a small ledge that the tapestry hid. He and Draco were crouched next to a large bay window, which overlooked the grounds. The whole place was just big enough for the two of them to sit in if they squeezed.

 

Harry stared out at the uniformly grey sky, which was currently drizzling onto the grass. It certainly felt like November, he decided. The faint feeling of dreary misery that came with the month seemed to hang over the whole school today. Harry swirled a finger through the condensation on the glass and sighed. Life felt truly flat and dull.

 

“Merlin's beard, you look depressed," Draco commented.

 

Harry, unhappy to be dragged from the throes of self-pity, glared at Draco and kicked him in the ankle before staring out of the window again. 

 

"Be melodramatic if you'd like, but can you at least bother explaining to me why you're living with us now?” Draco asked.

 

Harry stared at him. "I cannot believe that you, of all people, just called me melodramatic…”

 

"Was it because Black tried to get you?” Draco asked, refusing to be deterred. “You were in Gryffindor Tower during the break in, weren’t you?”

 

"Yeah…" Harry sighed and drew his knees into his chest. “You know, I really hate being different - I can’t ever just have a normal year, can I? I don’t want to live in the bloody dungeons!”

 

“Well, you’re not all that different if you think about it,” Draco said, tilting his head to one side. “I’ve also been stuck in his quarters so my house won’t hex me into oblivion, remember? We’re in this together.”

 

In a strange way, that actually did make Harry feel marginally better. 

 

“You know, if Black breaks into the castle again I don’t get how being in the dungeons is going to stop him from stabbing me or something,” Harry pointed out. “He seems to have his ways to get around the castle’s protections.” 

 

“Oh, he won’t be able to get past Severus,” Draco said firmly.

 

Harry frowned. “How can you be so sure?”

 

“Well… Severus was a Death Eater,” Draco said slowly, like it was the most obvious thing in the world. “He knows how to fight dirty, the same way Black would. He’s more willing to cross some moral lines.”

 

Harry cleared his throat awkwardly. “Can I ask you a stupid question?”

 

“Sure.”

 

“Um… what actually is a Death Eater?” Harry asked hesitantly. “I keep hearing you guys mention it but I’m never quite sure what it means.”

 

A large range of emotions seemed to flurry across Draco’s face, from confusion to disdain. “Oh. Er - you really don’t know?”

 

Harry scowled. “If I did, would I be asking?”

 

“Right,” Draco said quickly. “It’s just odd to think - well, never mind. It’s what the Dark Lord’s followers called themselves. They would wear masks and robes, and they had the Dark Mark tattooed onto their left forearm so the Dark Lord could summon them whenever he wanted. That’s why Severus always wears long sleeves, you know. He likes it hidden.”

 

“Oh.” Harry turned to Draco, a rising feeling of alarm growing in him. “Er - why isn’t he in prison, then? I mean - if he followed Voldemort -”

 

Draco yelped and flinched away. “Don’t say his name!” 

 

Harry rolled his eyes and turned back to Draco. “So?”

 

“He turned spy for Dumbledore, and that’s why he didn’t go to Azkaban,” Draco said in a low voice. “Besides, he hasn’t killed you yet, so I’d think it’s safe to presume he’s against the Dark Lord.”

 

“So - did he ever properly support Voldemort, then?” Harry asked hesitantly. “Before he turned spy? Why would he? Isn’t he a half-blood?”

 

“I don’t know,” Draco said. He stretched out his legs and stared off thoughtfully. “He tried explaining it all to me once, but I didn’t quite understand the why behind it all - a lot of stuff about power, and his childhood - but anyway, former Death Eater connections aren’t exactly something one brings up in polite conversation, Harry. It’s quite a sensitive topic - Father couldn’t bear to discuss the war with me, and Severus seems to be the same. Ask him yourself if it’s bothering you that much.”

 

“Yeah.” Harry sighed, shoulders slumping. “I can’t talk to him about anything right now, honestly.”

 

Draco frowned. “Why not?”

 

“He’s not happy with me,” Harry muttered. “Didn’t you see the way he basically chucked me out just now?”

 

Draco’s brows knitted together. “He didn’t kick you out. You asked him if he was going to lock you up in the dungeons, Harry! He obviously assumed you wanted to leave!”

 

“Oh.” Phrased like that, it seemed a lot more like Harry’s fault. Again. 

 

“Seriously - what’s so wrong?” Draco asked, nudging his side.

 

“I ruined everything.” Harry drew his knees close to his chest and sighed mournfully. “I keep getting in huge arguments with Snape! I told him I hated him after the Hogsmeade permission slip thing, and it obviously sort of upset him, and I don’t know what to do to make it better!”

 

“You could just talk to him, you know,” Draco pointed out. “Tell him you’re sorry - if you are, that is.”

 

“I am.”

 

“Then tell him!"

 

“He won’t forgive me,” Harry mumbled, resting his chin on his knees. “I upset him.”

 

“Harry, families fight,” Draco said. He shuffled closer, so their shoulders were touching. “They say horrid things to each other, and they apologise, and they move on. He’s not going to chuck you out or something, just talk to him! Imagine how much quicker we could have stopped fighting if I’d actually bothered to sit and listen to you explain. Don’t start that kind of mess with Severus.”

 

“Okay, then.” Harry took a deep breath to steel himself. “I’ll try and talk to him.”

 

Unfortunately for Harry, that proved to be a lot more difficult than he’d anticipated. He spent most of the day hiding in the windowsill with Draco and playing Exploding Snap, not feeling the urge to actually go out and talk to anyone. He ate dinner early to avoid the majority of the school and returned to Snape’s quarters, only to find the man had locked himself away in his study.

 

“Just knock on the door and talk to him, Harry,” Draco urged.

 

Harry shook his head. “I don’t want to bother him -”

 

“You’re not bothering him!” Draco huffed. “Just knock! The worst he can do is ignore you.”

 

Draco said that like it wouldn’t be a big deal, but Harry vehemently disagreed. He thought that if he knocked on that door only to be ignored, it would break something inside of him that he couldn’t afford to be broken. As weak as it was, Harry couldn’t bear that. He would rather be miserable and leave this all unresolved than accept that things were wrecked forever. So, ignoring the disapproving look from Draco, he withdrew to his new, unfamiliar room and hid.

 

Still, Harry just couldn’t put the whole mess out of his mind. He stared at his Charms homework without making any progress for hours before realising it was all a lost cause, and spent the whole evening lying on top of the covers and staring at the hangings of his unfamiliar, unwelcoming bed, considering a casual way he could go into Snape’s office and bring up the topic. He came up short, of course. Harry found himself hoping that Snape would come and find him, like he sometimes did, but the man remained in his office until Harry finally gave up and turned the lights out.

 

He couldn’t sleep, though. Between the strange bed and the mingling feelings of worry and shame, he was tossing and turning for a long time until Harry finally realised that sleep was a lost cause. He couldn’t keep ignoring the issue - Harry had to find out if this could be sorted, or if Snape would never want anything to do with him again. He swung his legs over the side of the bed and practically sprinted to the office door, knocking before he could lose his nerve.

 

The door swung open, revealing Snape at the desk. He must have opened it wandlessly, as he was currently surrounded by something of a mountain of paperwork. Towers of parchment, covering the desk and much of the floor around it. 

 

“Harry?” He frowned. “I thought you went to bed hours ago.”

 

Harry opened his mouth to speak, then closed it again. He didn’t know what to say, but all of the things he wanted to talk about were locked inside his head and couldn’t be forced out.

 

“What’s wrong?” Snape had started to look very concerned, so Harry took a deep breath and finally managed to force out speech.

 

“I - I’m really sorry, sir,” he blurted out. “I’m so sorry.”

 

Snape gave him a confused look. “Pardon?”

 

“I keep saying horrible things to you, and I keep shouting, and being selfish, and I’m really sorry,” he said very quickly, hugging himself with his arms. It was very cold in the office. “I’m sorry, and I really don’t want you to be angry with me -”

 

Snape’s expression softened. “I’m not angry.”

 

“I don’t hate you,” he said miserably. “I didn’t mean it, I shouldn’t have said it, I upset you and I’ve been completely horrible!”

 

“Calm yourself, Harry,” Snape said softly. “You’ve been having a difficult time lately. I had assumed that was why you were rather short-tempered with me this last month.”

 

“I’m still sorry.”

 

“I know you are.” Snape sighed and got to his feet. “Maybe this can serve as a lesson for you to think before you speak?”

 

“I will,” Harry said fervently. “I promise. And I’m -”

 

“Sorry. You mentioned.” Snape grimaced, deftly sidestepping his stacks of parchment. “It’s really nothing, Harry. I’ve certainly said far worse to you in moments of anger.”

 

“I still wish I hadn’t said it.” Harry swallowed, hard. “I… I wasn’t handling the stuff with Black well. And then everything's changed again, and I forgot about my parents, and all of Halloween was happening, and Ron and Hermione keep fighting over Scabbers and Crookshanks, and - ugh, just everything!”

 

"I see.” Snape was looking at Harry with no small amount of confusion, like he wasn't quite sure where to start with any of that rant. Harry knew that none of it made sense to an outsider, but felt a little better for saying it nonetheless. 

 

"Crookshanks?” Snape said eventually. Something about his baffled expression made Harry laugh, despite the misery he was still wallowing in.

 

“Hermione’s cat," Harry explained. “He keeps trying to kill Ron’s rat, and they won't stop fighting over it. I - well, it seems stupid to be so annoyed by, considering the whole mass murderer thing…" 

 

“It's something of a last straw, I would assume," Snape said.

 

Harry nodded. “Yeah."

 

By now, the weight pressing on his chest had lightened considerably. 

 

Snape hesitated, then reached out a hand and briefly squeezed Harry’s shoulder. “Things will go back to normal when he’s captured. I promise you.”

 

“Okay.” Harry wrapped his arms more tightly around himself as another shiver wracked his body. Snape noticed this, scanned Harry, and frowned.

 

“When we bought you new clothes, did I get you any slippers?”

 

Harry’s brows knitted together at the odd question. “I don’t think so.”

 

“I’ll remedy that,” Snape said. “The dungeons get very cold at night. Bare feet aren’t a good idea.”

 

“Oh. Er - thanks?”

 

“Go back to bed, Harry.” He put gentle but firm pressure between Harry’s shoulder blades, ushering him in the direction of his room. “You have lessons tomorrow.”

 

“Right.” Harry started walking in the direction of his room, feeling a lot lighter than he had before. If Snape was back to nagging him about the cold and school, that meant things were back to normal. It meant all was forgiven.

 


 

The news of Harry’s move from Gryffindor Tower seemed to spread across the school like wildfire. Snape had mentioned to him that it wasn’t a good idea to have his new location be widely known for security reasons, but his missing belongings had obviously clued in a lot of the Gryffindors. All of them were peppering Harry with questions about where he was staying, what he knew about Black, and other exhausting queries that left Harry’s head aching by the end of dinner each day.

 

Ron and Hermione, who were the only friends of Harry’s who knew precisely where he was staying, were equally unimpressed.

 

“Bad luck, mate!” Ron said sympathetically. “I wouldn’t want to get stuck living with a teacher. He’s going to be on you all the time about homework, I’d bet…”

 

Harry grimaced. “I hadn’t thought of that.”

 

“Maybe you could use that sort of oversight, Harry,” Hermione said sniffily. “I saw you finishing that Astronomy chart before breakfast the other morning!” 

 

“Er - you guys also need to walk me down to the dungeons after dinner, apparently,” Harry said awkwardly. “Sorry about that -”

 

“No problem,” Ron said with a shrug. “It’s what, five extra minutes? Besides, we’re never gonna see you now if you have to be down there after dinner!”

 

Harry sighed mournfully. “Yeah…”

 

Hermione reached out and squeezed his shoulder, face sympathetic. “Don’t worry, Harry. I’m sure things will all go back to normal as soon as Black is captured.”

 

“People have been saying that to me for months,” Harry muttered. “No one’s managed to capture him yet…”

 

“I’m sure they will soon,” Ron said firmly. 

 

Harry had less faith than his friends did, and found himself fairly certain that he had quite a bit of time in the dungeons ahead of him. Once he settled into the new routine of spending his evenings there, though, Harry found he didn’t actually mind living in Snape’s quarters as much as he’d expected to. It was a lot like Spinner’s End, if Harry had been attending lessons by day.

 

Contrary to what Ron had believed, Snape was not lingering around constantly, nagging and micromanaging Harry’s every move. He actually spent most of his time in his office, dealing with students and detentions. Later in the evening, he tended to move and mark essays in the living room, or retreat to the locked room in his quarters to brew potions. That meant it was just Harry and Draco the majority of the time. He didn’t make for bad company, especially since the both of them hadn’t ended up in the dungeons by choice - they had a common gripe. Harry was remarkably glad someone else was there with him. Since Snape was so busy with his duties, it could feel very empty in the man’s quarters. He wondered what this had been like for Draco to deal with alone for the last month…

 

Of course, as November progressed, a noticeable tension grew between Harry and Draco. The first match of the Quidditch season was quickly approaching, and the two of them would be playing against each other. The rivalry between them intensified, as it did for the rest of the Gryffindors and Slytherins. Living in the dungeons became something of an exercise in tactical Slytherin avoidance, since Harry was almost certain that anyone who saw him down there would immediately assume he was stealing team secrets and hex him. He had taken to going to breakfast and returning from dinner under the Invisibility Cloak to avoid any wayward snakes who wanted to try and take out the Gryffindor Seeker in advance of the match.

 

Competition was also rising between Harry and Draco, although it mostly manifested as lighthearted jabs and jibes. It never developed into anything more, since their conflicting training schedules meant that Harry and Draco barely saw each other as the match drew near. Despite this, Snape had absolutely no patience for what he called their ‘incessant and mind-numbing sports talk’. He’d tried to ban them from discussing Quidditch in his quarters, and when that hadn’t worked, had taken to locking himself in his laboratory or his study for hours at a time. 

 

“I do wonder how he and Professor McGonagall are even friends,” Harry whispered to Draco. “She’s Quidditch-mad, you know.”

 

Snape was so focused on avoiding Harry and Draco’s Quidditch obsession that Harry barely saw him at all in the run up to the match, so when he went into Defence Against the Dark Arts and was met with the man in question instead of Professor Lupin, it was quite the shock.

 

“You’re late, Potter.” Snape scowled at him. “Five points from Gryffindor.”

 

Harry, who had been waylaid by Oliver Wood on the way to Defence, gulped and quickly sat down next to Ron. Part of him was desperate to ask Snape what on earth he was doing here, but then he caught sight of the man’s tight jaw and narrowed eyes and wisely decided to keep silent. Snape was quite clearly in a foul mood.

 

“As I was saying, Professor Lupin is ill. He has not left any record of the topics you have covered so far -” 

 

“Please, sir, we’ve done Boggarts, Red Caps, Kappas and Grindylows,” Hermione interjected, “and we’re just about to start -” 

 

“Be quiet,” Snape said icily. “I did not ask for information. I was merely commenting on Professor Lupin’s lack of organisation.” 

 

“He’s the best Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher we’ve ever had,” Dean Thomas said defiantly. There was a general murmur of agreement from the rest of the class, including Harry. 

 

This did not seem to impress Snape, who looked even angrier with every passing minute. “You are easily satisfied. Lupin is hardly over-taxing you - I would expect first-years to be able to deal with Red Caps and Grindylows. Today we shall discuss… werewolves.”

 

“But, sir,” Hermione began, seemingly unable to restrain herself, “we’re not supposed to do werewolves yet, we’re due to start Hinkypunks -” 

 

“I did not ask for your input, Miss Granger,” Snape said. His tone was calm, but Harry could tell from his face that he was rapidly approaching the point of losing his temper. “Now, turn to page three hundred and ninety-four.” He glanced around again and glowered. “All of you! Now!”

 

With a lot of sullen muttering, the class obeyed. Harry didn’t touch his textbook - he stared at Snape instead, a frown tugging at the corners of his lips. He couldn’t possibly understand why the man was in such an obvious, terrible mood. Snape, clearly feeling the weight of Harry’s gaze, looked over at him and gave him a truly venomous look. Harry quickly remembered Snape’s warnings in September about respecting him in class and reminded himself to save his questions for later. 

 

“Which of you can tell me how we distinguish between the werewolf and the true wolf?” Snape asked.

 

Excluding Hermione’s hand, the class was motionless and silent.

 

“Anyone?” Snape said, ignoring Hermione. His lips twisted into a cruel smile. “Are you telling me that Professor Lupin hasn’t even taught you the basic distinction between -” 

 

“We told you,” Parvati said irritably, “we haven’t got as far as werewolves yet, we’re still on -” 

 

“Silence!” Snape snarled. “Well, well, well, I never thought I’d meet a third-year class who wouldn’t even recognise a werewolf when they saw one. I shall make a point of informing Professor Dumbledore how very behind you all are …” 

 

“Please, sir,” Hermione said, hand still upright, “the werewolf differs from the true wolf in several small ways. The snout of the werewolf -” 

 

“That is the second time you have spoken out of turn, Miss Granger,” Snape said loudly. “Five more points from Gryffindor for not knowing how to hold your tongue!”

 

Hermione, red-faced, lowered her hand. Every single person in the class was now glaring at Snape, including Harry, who couldn’t understand why on earth the man was intentionally ignoring her.

 

Ron seemed to be thinking the same lines. He said loudly, “You asked us a question and she knows the answer! Why ask if you don’t want to be told?”

 

Harry immediately cringed as Snape’s face darkened and tightened. It almost looked as though he had lockjaw by the time he made it to Ron.

 

“Detention, Weasley,” he said softly. “And if I ever hear you criticise the way I teach a class again, you will be very sorry indeed.”

 

The class was silent for the remainder of their lesson. They made their way through the chapter while Snape stalked the room, criticising everything they’d done so far and particularly Lupin’s teaching.

 

Harry, for his part, couldn’t possibly understand what Snape’s problem was. Sure, the man had been in an awful mood for days, but Harry had thought that was just general grumpiness over the Quidditch match! This, though? He couldn’t possibly understand why Snape had flipped back to being so horribly unfair. Still, the more that Harry thought about it, the more he realised that Snape’s bad mood had nothing to do with the upcoming match. As a matter of fact, he’d been grumpy since Halloween at the earliest, even after Harry had apologised…

 

It was a relief when the class was finally dismissed from the frosty atmosphere of the Defence lesson. Harry and Hermione were quickly met by a furious Ron, who called Snape all sorts of names that made Hermione gasp while he explained the details of his detention - cleaning the Hospital Wing bedpans without magic.

 

“Why couldn’t Black have hidden in Snape’s office, eh?” Ron said, breathing rather heavily. “He could have finished him off for us!”

 

“Hey,” Harry snapped. “Don’t joke about that.”

 

Ron scoffed. “It was just a joke, Harry -”

 

“Not a very funny one!”

 

“And I don’t see why you’re defending him when he’s been foul to everyone all afternoon!” Ron fumed. “Some friend you are!”

 

He stormed off down the corridor without another word, closely followed by a hurt-looking Hermione. Even though Harry didn’t appreciate the comment about Black, Harry was still rather angry on their behalf. What was Snape’s problem with Professor Lupin, anyway? It was clearly something to do with him… maybe the Boggart of himself in Neville’s grandmother’s clothes had angered him? No, it couldn’t be that - Harry thought back to his first night at Hogwarts, when Harry had fainted on the train. Snape had been in high dudgeon, snapping about Lupin in Professor McGonagall’s office until Madam Pomfrey had actually told him off. It was obvious that there was some sort of issue between the two men.

 

Harry couldn’t possibly understand why, though. From what he’d seen, Lupin was a pleasant man, and a brilliant teacher. He genuinely couldn’t think of what Snape’s problem might be…

 

But Harry thought angrily, he was going to bloody well ask! He stormed directly down into the dungeons, not giving any thought to Snape’s constant insistence on him having an escort in the corridors, and barged straight in without knocking.

 

Snape, who looked as though he’d just gotten in, immediately whirled around to look at Harry and glared fiercely. “And why have you suddenly lost your grasp on manners?”

 

“Are you actually serious?” Harry said incredulously. “After that joke of a lesson, you’re coming after my manners?”

 

Snape gave him a dangerous look. “I’ve spoken to you before about questioning my teaching methods - watch it.”

 

“I’m in your office talking to you about this instead of yelling at you publicly, aren’t I?” Harry said angrily. “I think that’s pretty polite, seeing as you just embarrassed me in front of my friends! Why were you ignoring Hermione like that? Why are you having a go when people know the answer to the question you’re asking?!”

 

“If teaching consisted of me assessing if Miss Granger knows the answer, it would be a very simple job indeed,” Snape said coldly. “I’m warning you, Harry -”

 

“I just don’t understand why you’re being like this!” Harry said. “What’s your problem? I know you’ve got some complex when it comes to Lupin, but -”

 

“Right! Go to your room!” Snape barked.

 

“But -”

 

“NOW!”

 

Despite himself, Harry flinched away from Snape. Something rather like regret replaced the apoplectic expression on the man’s face, but Harry hurried away before he had time to say or do anything and rushed into his room. He pointedly slammed the door behind him and kicked the frame of his bed, feeling hot with outrage. He was really starting to regret defending Snape from anything Ron had said earlier…

 

Quite a while later, someone else entered the room. Harry spun around, prepared to yell at Snape to leave him alone, but instead found a scowling Draco.

 

“Merlin’s beard, Severus woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, didn’t he?”

 

“I know!” Harry said indignantly. “He spent all of Defence Against the Dark Arts yelling at my class!”

 

Draco frowned. “What’s he doing teaching that?”

 

Harry shrugged. “Beats me - something about Lupin being ill. I hope he’s back soon.”

 

“He had a go at me about literally nothing!” Draco complained. “I’d just walked in, and I got in trouble for about six different things!” 

 

“He shouldn’t be such a moody git,” Harry grumbled. “D’you want to hide in here and play Monopoly with me?”

 

“Definitely.”

 


 

On Saturday morning, the day of the match, Harry came to a perfect solution to get back at Snape: absolutely destroy the Slytherin team at Quidditch. Even though he knew Snape wasn’t all that bothered about sports, the man was still very invested if it meant Slytherin winning the house cup, so Harry was going to make sure that didn’t happen just to spite him. Ron and Hermione both hadn’t spoken to him since the Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson, and Harry was seriously starting to regret defending his ill-tempered guardian, who had also been avoiding Harry at all costs since their fight. He really wanted to get his own back.

 

Of course, it wasn’t going to be an easy match by any means. There was a terrible thunderstorm raging outside, lashing the windows of the Great Hall with rainwater. Occasional streaks of lightning illuminated the enchanted ceiling.

 

Oliver Wood seemed particularly nervous. He didn’t touch a thing at breakfast, and when he tried to give the Gryffindor team their usual pre-match pep talk, just ended up making a few odd gulping noises before giving up and shaking his head.

 

After about ten minutes flying, Harry could see why his captain had been so nervous. The rainstorm had completely wrecked any chance of visibility, and the roaring wind drowned out any of the commentary. Harry didn’t have a hope of hearing the commentary, and the only reason he knew that the Snitch hadn’t been caught was because he could just about make out a green figure, marking him closely. That had to be Draco, also searching for the Snitch. If Harry hadn’t gotten a quick Impervius cast on his glasses, he’d have been absolutely hopeless. As it was, he was pretty sure they’d be playing well into the night.

 

A sudden flash of lightning illuminated the stands, and Harry saw something that made his heart drop. A large black dog was standing on the top row. It was unmistakably the Grim. Harry did a double take, feeling highly alarmed, but when he looked again, the dog was gone.

 

“HARRY!” A loud shriek that could only be Draco came from behind. Harry wasn’t sure why the other boy would be calling out to him at all right now - it was the middle of a match, and they were on enemy teams. Still, as Draco called his name again, he decided to turn around and see what the matter was, trying to ignore the horrible new wave of cold settling over him…

 

But as he drew his Nimbus Two-Thousand in a circle, Harry’s attention was not focused on the green blur streaking towards him. No, his eyes were instantly drawn downwards, to where a hundred Dementors were standing and staring back at him. The noise of the thunderstorm cut off, as if muted by a remote control. Instead, familiar screaming filled his ears…

 

“Not Harry, not Harry, please not Harry!”

 

“Stand aside, you silly girl… stand aside, now…” 

 

“Not Harry, please no, take me, kill me instead -”

 

Swirling white mist was filling Harry’s brain … What was he doing? Why was he flying? He needed to help her… she was dying, she was going to be murdered… he had to help, he was going to kill her...

 

“Not Harry! Please… have mercy… have mercy …”

 

A shrill voice was laughing, the woman was screaming, and darkness crashed over him.

To be continued...
Breaking the Dam by aspionage

Voices swirled around Harry, intangible and nonsensical.

 

“Why won’t he wake up?”

 

“He’s had quite the ordeal. His body is still recovering.”

 

“But I want to know he’s okay…”

 

“He will be. He’ll wake soon.”

 

Harry didn’t know what these people were talking about, where he was, or what he’d been doing. All he knew was that every single inch of him ached from head to toe. He had never experienced being hit by a lorry, but Harry imagined this would be what it felt like.

 

And then all at once, it all snapped back. The match, the storm, the Dementors, the screaming -

 

Harry’s eyes shot open, and he jolted upright with a shuddering gasp. A firm hand pressed him back into the mattress, for he was lying in a bed in the Hospital Wing. Draco and Snape were sitting by Harry’s side, both absolutely soaking wet. Draco in particular looked like he’d dived headfirst into a muddy puddle; the green and silver of his Quidditch uniform was almost unrecognisable beneath the filth. For some reason, his arm was in a sling, a stark splash of white against the grime.

 

“Oh, Harry!” he said in a faint sort of voice. “Thank Merlin you’re awake!”

 

He made a move forward, unbandaged arm reaching out, but Snape grabbed him by the elbow, which made Draco abruptly remember himself. He sank back into a chair but continued to stare at Harry, eyes wide and bloodshot. “How do you feel? Are you okay?”

 

“What happened?” Harry rasped.

 

“You fell,” Snape said in an unusually strangled voice. He was a rather pallid man on the best of days, but was a deathly white at that moment. Even though Harry was lying back again, he still hadn’t removed his hand from Harry’s chest. “You fell a very long distance. Over fifty feet, I believe.”

 

“We - we thought -” Draco clapped a hand to his mouth and turned his face away.

 

Harry felt a horrid sinking sensation in his stomach. “And the match?”

 

Snape muttered something under his breath and scowled fiercely.

 

“Collective forfeit,” Draco said. Harry noticed he was shaking. “No one caught the snitch. I - I couldn’t keep playing. I tried to grab you when you fell off, and dislocated my shoulder. I thought - it was just so stormy, and your hand slipped out, and you just started falling -”

 

His voice cracked, and Snape reached out his free hand and squeezed Draco’s. 

 

“I don’t suppose you could spare me from the mind numbing discussions about rematches and save it for a later date when you’re not both sitting injured in the Hospital Wing?” Snape said angrily. Harry and Draco both quickly fell silent, but Snape’s ire didn’t recede. His lip curled up into a snarl. “Blasted Dementors!”

 

He bit back the rest of what promised to be a long rant with obvious difficulty and sank back into his chair, glowering at the rain pounding against the windows. His shoulders were hunched.

 

"I thought they weren't allowed on the grounds," Harry said. He felt himself start to shiver from something other than the cold. 

 

"They're not!" Snape growled. "They were tempted by the euphoria of the match, one must assume. The Headmaster is having words with the Ministry, and if he doesn't get Fudge to remove them, then Albus can be assured I'll be having words with him."

 

The darkness lurking in the back of his eyes and in his coarse tone seemed to hold the promise of fire and brimstone if such a discussion was forced to occur.

 

“With me, Draco,” Snape ordered, getting to his feet. “Madam Pomfrey still needs to properly attend to your injuries now that he’s awake. Your friends should be outside, Harry - they’ve been waiting to see you. Do you need anything?”

 

He shook his head and hugged himself with his arms. Snape regarded him for a long moment before taking Draco behind a curtain surrounding the adjoining bed, while Madam Pomfrey opened the doors, admitting Ron and Hermione. Both of them ran the length of the room and skidded to a halt at his bedside.

 

“Don’t be so disruptive!” Madam Pomfrey scolded. “This is a Hospital Wing, not a playground!” 

 

“Sorry,” Hermione said quickly as Madam Pomfrey disappeared behind the curtain surrounding Draco’s bed. She turned to Harry, eyes rimmed red. Hermione had obviously been crying.

 

“How’re you feeling?” Ron asked softly. The rainwater had plastered his fringe to his forehead.

 

Harry shrugged noncommittally. “Are the team okay?”

 

“They’re outside,” Ron explained. “They wanted to come in, but Snape didn’t want them crowding you or something.”

 

Oddly enough, he didn’t scowl like he usually would at the mention of Snape. Before Harry had time to reflect on why that might be, he looked between his two friends and noticed that Hermione was clutching an oddly shaped bag. He frowned. “What’s that?”

 

Hermione and Ron looked at each other hesitantly. 

 

“Um… is everything okay?”

 

Hermione gave him a pained look. “Harry - when you fell, your broom… well, it got blown away.” 

 

“And?”

 

“It hit - oh, Harry, it hit the Whomping Willow,” Hermione whispered. “And… well, the Whomping Willow doesn’t really like to be hit…”

 

With a sad look on her face, Hermione tipped the bag upside down, dumping a bunch of twigs and splinters onto his bed. All that remained of Harry’s beloved Nimbus 2000, now battered to bits.

 

“Oh,” Harry said in a small voice. He stared at the remains of his broomstick and felt a horrid lurch in his stomach. Harry knew it was stupid to feel so upset, but it almost felt like he’d lost one of his best friends. 

 

Ron gave him a sad look. “Flitwick tried his best to salvage it, but… yeah.”

 

Harry could still barely believe he’d fallen. His shattered Nimbus 2000 well and truly proved it had all been real, not some sick, twisted nightmare.

 

“Dumbledore was really angry,” Hermione said shakily. “He ran onto the pitch as you fell, waved his wand, and you sort of slowed down before you hit the ground. Then he whirled his wand at the Dementors, and shot some silver stuff at them. They left the stadium straight away… he was furious they’d come into the grounds, we heard him -”

 

“Then he magicked you onto a stretcher,” Ron finished. “And walked up to school with you floating on it. Everyone thought you were…”

 

His voice trailed off into silence. 

 

“Professor Snape went raving mad at Dumbledore,” Hermione whispered, casting a fearful look at the curtains next to them. Harry actually had to strain his ears to pick up on her soft voice. “We could hear him shouting through the walls while we waited outside to see you.”

 

“I’ve never heard him shout like that, not even in Potions,” Ron added, just as quietly. “He just completely lost it. We couldn’t hear what he was saying super well, but I know he kept yelling about how you and Malfoy could have died, over and over.” 

 

 “He blames the Headmaster for what happened, I think,” Hermione said.

 

That sounded like something Snape would do, Harry thought. He recalled the terse conversation he’d overheard the night after Snape had visited the Dursleys - it seemed that Dumbledore had a unique ability to enrage Snape.

 

“Oh, and Harry? I’m never giving you a hard time about Malfoy again,” Ron said in a hollow voice.

 

Harry’s eyebrows furrowed. “What? Why?”

 

“The way he reacted when you started falling…”

 

“He really has changed, Harry,” Hermione whispered in a tremulous voice. “We saw him dive to grab onto you when you started falling -”

 

“He wrenched his arm right out of its socket!” Ron said, awed.

 

Hermione cringed, glared at Ron, and carried on. “After you hit the ground - he was in complete hysterics, really. Dumbledore had you floating on that stretcher, and we all thought - we all thought you’d d-died, and he clearly did too, because he was shouting, and kept trying to run after you, even though his legs kept giving out and his arm was all messed up. Professor Snape actually had to wrestle him back…”

 

“Snape didn’t look so good himself, mind you,” Ron added. “He stuck Malfoy on another stretcher and went straight after Dumbledore.”

 

Harry’s eyes drifted to the closed off curtains, where he knew Snape and Malfoy were with Madam Pomfrey. They both had looked rather dreadful, hadn’t they? 

 

“They definitely do care about you, Harry,” Hermione said softly. “And if that can change, well - well I suppose the other stuff can, too. But both of us are here, no matter what happens with them.”

 

Relief swept through Harry. “Thank you. Seriously, just - I’m glad.”

 

As awful as today had been, at least he finally had some sort of resolution to one of his problems… no more issues with Draco, Ron and Hermione. Or Snape, by the sounds of it. Besides, any of the anger Harry had been feeling towards Snape had evaporated in the face of that chaotic match. The man had looked positively ill when Harry had awoken, and it was impossible to be upset with him when he’d looked so haunted.

 

“I doubt we’ll be best mates, mind, but anyone who nearly yanks his arm off trying to help my friend can’t be all bad,” Ron declared. “Like Hermione said, we’re gonna be here for you while you figure it out. No more bickering.”

 

Harry mustered a thin smile, grateful beyond the scope of words.

 

Moments later, the curtains surrounding the adjoining bed vanished. Draco’s arm was still in a sling, but he was no longer covered in mud, and he had changed into pyjamas. He was presumably being forced to stay overnight. Madam Pomfrey bustled over to Harry’s bedside, and shot disapproving looks at Ron and Hermione. “Out. He needs his rest.”

 

Ron hesitated, then walked over to Draco’s bed and gave him an awkward, jerky sort of nod. “Er - thanks for trying to help him.”

 

Draco scowled. “I didn’t do it for you.”

 

Ron looked at Harry and raised his hands helplessly before following Hermione out of the Hospital Wing. She shot him one last worried look while she edged into the hallway. “Bye, Harry.”

 

As the doors swung shut, Snape got to his feet and sat at Harry’s bedside once again. “I’m staying the night.”

 

Harry nodded mutely, because he couldn’t quite put into words how relieved that made him feel. If Harry had to lie in the Hospital Wing in the silence and the dark without any sort of distraction, he’d be forced to think about what he’d heard, which was just completely unacceptable.

 

Snape frowned at the pile of twigs, still lying on Harry’s lap. “What on earth is that?”

 

“Don’t get rid of it!” Harry said quickly, drawing the broken Nimbus up close to him. “It’s my broomstick. Please, you can't throw it away!”

 

Snape looked absolutely baffled by Harry’s insistence on keeping it, but simply shook his head after a moment. “At least put it back in that bag, then.”

 

As he helped Harry put the twigs back in the bag Hermione had been carrying, Harry thought that it was a sign of how worried Snape was that he didn’t immediately insist on throwing it away. The man was normally far too pragmatic for sentimental nonsense like this, particularly when it came to Quidditch.

 

Snape wasn’t really acting like himself, though. In fact, he was currently staring at Harry, harsh lines carved into his forehead from his furrowed brow. Snape didn't often display emotions on his face if he could help it, so Harry knew he was truly out of sorts. 

 

Madam Pomfrey returned moments later, and Harry was forced to eat so much chocolate that it was sickening before various potions were thrust upon him, including a Pain Reliever and a Pepper-Up Potion that made hot steam pour from his ears.

 

“Could you also fetch a Dreamless Sleep, Poppy?” Snape asked as Harry finished up.

 

She clucked her tongue and regarded Harry sympathetically. “Of course.”

 

While Madam Pomfrey made her way over to her store of potions, Snape looked at him closely. “If you need to talk to me, you can.”

 

Harry swallowed, hard. “And if there was anything I needed to talk about, I’d tell you.”

 

Snape’s eyes crinkled with worry. “Harry…”

 

“I just want to sleep,” he said tersely. “I’m tired, and everything hurts. Okay?”

 

Snape seemed to shake himself. “Of course.”

 

Madam Pomfrey handed him the Dreamless Sleep moments later, which Harry downed in one great gulp. It worked quickly, like a strong current pulling him under. Harry’s eyes fluttered closed, and his mind slipped into a deep sleep.

 

In his half-conscious state, he would not remember his glasses being gently removed from his face and set to one side, or the hand that carefully brushed the hair from his forehead before coming to rest upon his shoulder.

 


 

Madam Pomfrey insisted on keeping Harry for the entire weekend. Harry didn’t argue or complain - not that he could, since Snape was hovering around constantly, watching his every move. He never left the Hospital Wing, even at night, when he slept in a chair in between Harry and Draco’s beds. The other boy was also being forced to stay overnight, arm still wrapped up in a sling, but Harry didn’t think that was the reason for Draco’s stay. He heard Madam Pomfrey and Snape muttering about ‘shock’ and ‘fragility’, and supposed the stress of the match had had more of a negative impact on Draco than he’d wanted to let on. He had become prone to fits of staring at Harry with a haunted, scared look on his face, which was rather disconcerting.

 

Neither of them discussed what had happened. Neither of them could. Harry knew that whatever Draco heard when Dementors around was awful enough to make him sick to his stomach, and he certainly didn’t want to talk about his own waking nightmare…

 

Harry was also subject to a series of other visitors: Ron and Hermione remained with him for hours every day, and the entire Quidditch team came by, including one incredibly depressed Oliver Wood. He spent most of the visit glowering at Draco’s bed, like the other boy was trying to steal team secrets while napping. Harry also received get well soon cards from half of the school, all attempting to cheer him up.

 

None of it helped.

 

None of it could ever help, since Harry now knew who the screaming woman was. It was his mother, pleading for her life before Voldemort murdered her. Harry played her words over and over in his head; her pleas, her screaming, Voldemort’s shrill laughter… he dreamt of it the second night in the infirmary, when he didn’t have any Dreamless Sleep to aid him, and woke up with gasping every few hours with images of scabbed hands and cloaked figures swirling through his head. One time, he roused Snape by mistake, but pretended to be asleep before the man realised what was going on.

 

Harry knew he couldn’t tell Snape any of this. After the first time asking, he’d let the matter of what Harry may or may not have heard drop. Harry thought Snape believed he still couldn’t remember it properly, and it was better that way. Snape couldn’t find out what had happened. He couldn’t know that Voldemort had given Lily a chance to move aside, to escape, a chance she hadn’t taken, because then he’d know that it was Harry’s fault that Lily was gone. He should be dead, not his mother, and that knowledge was haunting.

 

Returning to regular schooling the following Monday helped somewhat, but not much. The Slytherins were mocking him mercilessly, and took great pleasure in performing theatrical imitations of Harry fainting, all accompanied by jeers about how weak he was. To Harry’s immense shock, this seemed to infuriate Draco, who was also getting a fair bit of trouble for his reaction after Harry had fallen. He snapped completely after Care of Magical Creatures on Monday afternoon and hexed Pansy Parkinson viciously, so she was barely recognisable beneath the long black fur and green boils covering her skin. Even more shockingly, Draco’s most staunch defender was one angry Ron. He helped Draco fight off Crabbe and Goyle until an immensely annoyed Professor McGonagall showed up and gave them all detention before sending Pansy, Crabbe and Goyle to the Hospital Wing, all while the latter two left a slimy trail of vomited slugs in their wake. At last, Ron’s aim had been true. It was all rather shocking; Harry didn’t think he’d ever seen the two boys agree about anything up until now.

 

But none of it registered. He couldn’t feel much about the situation - not gratitude, not camaraderie, anger - nothing. Harry felt like a great, white mist had cloaked him, and he couldn’t feel anything anymore…

 

Thursday morning was the worst of all. After days upon days of no sleep, save for the haunting nightmares filled with scabbed hands and screaming mothers, Harry felt utterly wretched. His whole body felt leaden; his eyes oddly sticky; his brain foggy and worthless. The task of even getting out of bed, let alone attending lessons, felt absolutely insurmountable. Harry had double Potions first, and he knew that the Slytherins would continue on with their onslaught of teasing about the Dementors, which Harry just couldn’t bear right now. Unfortunately, since he lived with the man who was teaching that class, Harry couldn’t simply bunk off. Therefore, that morning, Harry tried something he had never done before: he pulled a sickie.

 

Draco came into his room first and made a disapproving noise. “Why are you in bed still? Get up, you’re going to make me miss breakfast!”

 

“Can’t go,” Harry muttered. “I’m ill.”

 

“Oh.” Draco tutted. “I’ll fetch Severus for you, then.”

 

Harry listened to the sound of his receding footsteps and tried to think of a good illness that Snape couldn’t cure with a simple potion. The man hurried into the room moments later, and crouched down next to Harry’s bed. “Draco mentioned you aren’t feeling well?”

 

Harry nodded, and pulled the duvet up to obscure the lower half of his face. “Er - yeah.”

 

“What hurts?”

 

“My stomach,” Harry said, not meeting Snape’s eyes. “And my head’s killing me.”

 

Snape looked up sharply. “Not in your scar?”

 

“Er - no. Just a general migraine. It’s kept me up all night,” Harry lied.

 

Snape sighed. “You should have fetched me sooner.”

 

“Sorry,” he mumbled.

 

Snape flicked his wand and two vials flew into his hand. “Take these.”

 

Harry sat up and obediently choked down the potions, which really tasted quite awful, while Snape pressed the back of his hand against Harry’s forehead. He frowned. “You don’t feel warm, so I don’t suppose you have a fever… did those help at all?”

 

“A bit, but I still don’t feel great,” Harry lied. He squirmed in place. The worried expression on Snape’s face was making him feel remarkably bad about what he was doing. 

 

“Stay here for the morning and try to get some rest,” Snape ordered, taking a step back. “I don’t think you’re in a fit state to brew anything today - you do look a bit off-colour.”

 

Harry slowly nodded, hardly believing his luck. Just like that, Snape was giving him the morning off? The man was normally so strict! Just two weeks ago, Draco had tried to skive off lessons by faking an illness, and Snape hadn’t been sympathetic in the slightest…

 

“I’ll come and check on you at lunch but if you feel yourself worsening, go up to the Hospital Wing,” Snape said quietly.

 

“Okay.” Harry turned over and stared at the wall. He heard Snape’s retreating footsteps halt for several moments in the doorway, before his bedroom door was closed. Harry rolled over again, unable to get comfortable, and stared at the ceiling.

 

“Not Harry, not Harry, please not Harry!” 

 

He bit down on his lip until the coppery tang of blood flooded his taste buds. It seemed as though Harry didn’t even need a Dementor anymore - the sound of his mother’s screams haunted him at all hours.

 

For the first time, Harry thought he was truly comprehending it; his parents had been murdered. Sure, from the age of eleven he’d known about it in a clinical sort of way - Voldemort had come to their family home, killed both of Harry’s parents, but couldn’t kill Harry. He’d never given much thought about the specifics - how his mother would have begged, the lazy, casual way in which Voldemort had demeaned her and laughed, the exact pitch of her sobs and screams in her last moments before the Killing Curse struck her…

 

Harry wished he didn’t know. He wished he could go back to blissful ignorance, as selfish as he was. This was why his mother should have never traded her life for his. From what Harry had heard, his mother was a talented, selfless ray of sunshine, loved by all, a hero. Meanwhile, Harry couldn’t even remember  to honour her on the day she’d died, because he was selfish, and wasn’t good enough.

 

His fault, his fault, his fault. How had Harry never realised it before?

 

Sleep came to Harry in small snatches, and it was somehow worse than lying awake and hating himself. The nightmares were painfully vivid, intolerable. Harry almost preferred the sleep deprivation…

 

He spent most of the day in a fitful doze as a result, only roused by the occasional interruption. He heard Snape re-enter the room around what he supposed was lunchtime and stand watching Harry for a long time before eventually withdrawing. He thought he heard Draco try to come in at one point, but a hissed reprimand from Snape that Harry couldn’t quite hear stopped the other boy short. It wouldn’t have really mattered if Draco had come in, though. Harry would have just kept pretending to sleep. After all, nothing would ever extricate him from this pit of misery…

 

“Harry.”

 

He kept his eyes squeezed shut.

 

“It’s past dinner - there’s food outside,” Snape said. “You haven’t eaten all day.”

 

Hot anger surged up in Harry. What was it with Snape and his bloody food obsessions? Couldn’t he see that Harry had bigger problems?

 

“Harry.” Snape’s voice held a note of warning. “I know you’re awake. Do not ignore me when I’m speaking.”

 

“I don’t want anything,” Harry muttered. “I still feel sick.”

 

“You do.” Snape’s voice was flat and unimpressed. Both of them clearly knew that Harry was lying by now. “I’ll cast a Diagnostic Charm for sickness, then.”

 

He muttered something under his breath which made Harry feel like icy water was trickling down his back. Parchment crinkled in Snape’s hand.

 

“Interesting. No illnesses are coming up…”

 

“Well it’s gone wrong, then, because I feel terrible,” Harry muttered, squeezing his arms around his middle. That part wasn’t actually a lie; he felt so thoroughly depressed that it was actually giving him a stomach ache.

 

“Harry, you cannot just -”

 

“Snape, please,” Harry said desperately. “I’m just really tired, and I feel bad. Please just let me stay here.”

 

Some of the misery filling Harry seemed to seep into his tone, because Snape’s gradually growing irritation seemed to stop in its tracks. He let out a long, quiet sigh.

 

“We’re going to Madam Pomfrey tomorrow morning if this hasn’t changed,” he said wearily.

 

Harry let out a non-committal grunt, relieved that he didn’t have to actually face his issues until the following day.

 

“And Harry? My door is open. Always.”

 

Snape waited for a long moment, clearly expecting a response he would not receive. After a while, he finally withdrew from the room. 

 

The guilt only intensified. Now Harry also felt bad for Snape, who clearly didn’t understand what was going on. Harry was terrible. All Snape was trying to do was help, but Harry was being a snappy, nasty liar.

 

He couldn’t tell Snape the real reason for his change in demeanour, though. As selfish and horrid as it was, he couldn’t take the look of blame he’d surely receive when Snape found out that Harry had killed his mother, Snape’s best friend. No, Harry had to weather this alone - that was his penance. Harry sighed and waited for fitful, disrupted sleep to claim him once more.

 


 

When Harry woke up again with the dying screams of his mother still ringing in his ears, late in the night, he had to struggle against the urge to let out a wail of his own. It felt like a boulder was sitting on his chest, and if he didn’t get out of this horrid, oppressive room, he might actually die in here. Harry pushed himself out of bed and wiped the back of his hand over his face, which was wet with tears. He’d been crying in his sleep again. That kept happening lately.

 

He silently hurried through Draco’s room and into the small kitchenette, where he pressed his head against the cold stone of the dungeon wall. Harry truly couldn’t bear this knowledge the Dementors had brought. Was this his life now? Was he doomed to wander Hogwarts, sleep-deprived and depressed, waiting until another Dementor floated past and trapped him in the day his parents had died?

 

Water. Snape told him to drink something cold when he couldn’t breathe once. He snatched up a glass with trembling fingers and filled it in the sink, but as soon as the icy liquid touched Harry’s lips, it made everything ten times worse. It was far too similar to the bone-chilling cold of the Dementors, moments before the screaming started. Harry slammed the glass on the counter and slid down against the cabinet and onto the floor, where he put his face to his knees and wrapped his arms around himself. He was shaking. The suffocating weight of despair was pressing down on Harry with renewed force and he just couldn’t bear it. He felt completely, uttery miserable. 

 

Harry was on the verge of losing his battle against the undignified sob building in his chest when he registered the sound of someone making their way through the quarters. Apparently, Harry wasn’t the only one awake at this late hour. He didn’t move, didn’t make a sound. Hopefully, the shadows would obscure him. Harry didn’t want anyone to find him like this.

 

Of course, he had no such luck.

 

“We have furniture for a reason, Harry,” Snape said quietly. His voice was coming from above. “Don’t sit down there in the cold. Come on, I want a word…”

 

Harry was far too broken inside to even feel properly irritated by another Snape-enforced conversation. Two firm hands took his arms and moved them away from Harry’s face before insistently tugging him to his feet. Harry made a concentrated effort to stare at the ground as Snape led him by the elbow to the sofa. Even though it was dark, he didn’t want to risk his red eyes being noticed. The man next to him was far too observant.

 

“I think we both know you aren’t ill,” Snape said, forgoing his usual armchair to sit directly next to Harry. “With a physical ailment, at least.”

 

Whatever that means, Harry thought mulishly.

 

“What is your actual issue?” he asked. Harry bit down on the inside of his cheek and didn’t respond. He couldn’t talk about this. “Is it about the Quidditch match?”

 

Harry shrugged. 

 

“The Dementors, perhaps?”

 

He did his best not to react, eyes fixed to the flagstones. That was far too close to the truth…

 

“Harry.” Snape reached out a hand and tilted Harry’s head up so he had to meet the man’s gaze. Snape’s eyes were crinkled with concern. “You’ve been out of sorts for days. Tell me what’s wrong. Please.”

 

“It… it is the Dementors, like you said,” Harry said thickly after a moment of internal struggle. “It’s what I hear when they’re close to me. I finally figured it out.”

 

Snape gave him an expectant look, urging Harry to continue. He took a deep, shaky breath. The secret was becoming unbearable and he had to let it out before he imploded under the strain.

 

Harry choked in a gasp of air and dug his nails into his thighs. “I hear Voldemort killing my mum.”

 

“Oh.” Snape made a strangled sort of noise. Harry stared at him with a strange, panicky sort of desperation, waiting for a response. 

 

Snape didn't speak, though. He appeared to be lost for words, and a horrible, twisted look of pain slowly settled over his features. It looked like someone had gutted him. This was even worse than Snape being angry - he was hurt. He was going to know this was all Harry’s fault, he would know who to blame, and he'd truly hate Harry forever -

 

Then Snape abruptly reached out an arm, wrapped it around Harry's shoulders, and pulled him in close.

 

Snape was by no means a particularly tactile person, and the slight awkwardness of the one-armed hug he was attempting reflected that, but it still brought a lump to Harry’s throat. All he could think about was that he could never remember being held like this, even when his parents had been alive, because all Harry could remember of his parents were the dying screams of his mother as she was murdered in front of him. He leaned into the contact, rested his head against Snape’s shoulder, and the tears brimming in his eyes finally spilled over. 

 

None of this was fair.

 

And as much as he hated being so fragile, and despite his constant need to feel independent and capable of handling his emotions, Harry still found himself desperately hoping that Snape wouldn’t move his arm away. That small gesture of comfort was certainly worsening the swell of tears, but Harry didn’t think he could bear it if Snape took that away from him. 

 

And he didn’t. If anything, Snape’s hold grew tighter when Harry started crying again, and his hand started to move in soothing circles on Harry’s shoulder. That just made the tears even worse, and they grew to a practically uncontrollable stream. Harry felt obliged to choke out, “Sorry.”

 

“You know my feelings on your unnecessary apologising,” Snape said quietly.

 

“I just - I feel so s-stupid!” Harry gasped, pressing the heels of his palms into his eyeballs in a futile attempt to somehow squish the tears back into place. It was unsurprisingly ineffective. “I feel like such a crybaby!”

 

“You are not the snivelling idiot you make yourself out to be,” Snape said. “You’ve cried in front of me a grand total of two times now. It is a normal display of emotions, you know. You shouldn’t be ashamed.”

 

Years of conditioning from the Dursleys told Harry otherwise, but that didn’t make the tears stop. It was as if some sort of dam had broken, and Harry couldn’t quite patch it up now it had all exploded out after years of the cracks and fissures building. Snape handed him a box of tissues, which Harry used up a rather large quantity of, and tapped his wand on the side of the table so a mug of tea appeared, which he pushed towards Harry. He left it there, since his hands were shaking too badly to hold anything without spilling it right now.

 

“I don’t know why I’m so upset,” he whispered once the sobs had calmed to the occasional hiccup. “I don’t have anything to grieve for. I can’t even remember them properly.”

 

“And that is precisely what you are grieving,” Snape said softly. “You’re mourning what you should have had. I’m assuming your encounters with the Dementors are bringing up a lot of emotions around your parents that you’ve never had a chance to mull over?”

 

Harry nodded slowly. When Snape phrased it like that, it actually made a lot more sense, so Harry felt like less of an overly-emotional twit. 

 

“I just feel like I don’t have any right,” Harry choked out. “I - I can’t remember them, I forgot on the day - I don’t even feel like I deserve to be sad -”

 

“Grief is not a straightforward thing,” Snape interrupted. “Whether you have memories of them or not is irrelevant, Harry - they’re your parents. Your sadness over their deaths is no less significant because you don’t know them well… the opposite is true, even. You’re rightfully upset by the opportunity to ever know them being robbed from you. Just because your grief looks different to that of others does not make it any less important.”

 

Snape picked up the cup of tea, handed it to Harry and pressed one steadying hand over Harry’s shaking one to steady the mug so he wouldn’t spill. Harry took a sip, and the warmth seemed to spread to all of his fingers and toes, which were stiff with cold from the chilly dungeons. 

 

He shouldn’t have this. Not this kind of comfort - not when he hadn’t fully confessed.

 

“He wanted her to stand aside,” Harry whispered, placing the tea back down. The circling motion of Snape’s hand froze, and his fingers dug into Harry’s shoulder. It was painful. “He told her to move, and she wouldn’t, and - and -”

 

“I’m sorry you had to hear that.” Snape’s voice was oddly raspy.

 

 “It’s my fault,” Harry whispered, at last giving voice to the thought that had been running rings around his brain for the last few days.

 

“It is not your fault,” Snape growled.

 

“It is!” Harry buried his face in his hands. He couldn't look at Snape while he admitted it. “She’s dead because of me. She should have moved!”

 

“Don’t even start with that,” Snape said fiercely. He pulled Harry's head up and framed Harry's face with his hands so he was forced to look into the man's fervent eyes. “Harry, it is not your fault.”

 

“It is my -”

 

“It is not!” Snape shook him slightly. “There are a dozen people who could be held responsible for your parents’ demise, and none of them are you! Perhaps blame the man that actually pointed the wand at Lily and ended her life? Or the man that betrayed their location? Even my-” Snape cut himself off and took a long, deep breath. “Don’t be ridiculous - you were a baby. You didn’t do anything wrong.”

 

More tears leaked out of the corners of Harry’s eyes.

 

“I knew Lily very well, and I can guarantee you she wouldn’t have wanted things any other way," Snape said softly. "She would have put herself between you and the Dark Lord a thousand times over if it meant saving you. And… well, I know James also would have.”

 

The last words were said reluctantly at best - Snape practically spat them, in fact - but he still did say them, and the weight of the guilty burden Harry had been carrying for the last week finally eased. He couldn’t stop the second onslaught of crying. Harry pressed a hand over his mouth, trying to muffle a sob. How did he even still have tears left to cry? By the time he was done with this, he’d turn into a shrivelled, wrinkled prune. 

 

Snape didn’t seem to mind, though. His hand moved to the nape of Harry’s neck, a strangely comforting presence, and Harry hated himself for needing it. That felt like the only thing stopping him from completely spiralling into the darkness within. Harry couldn’t seem to regain control of himself, and he hated it, he hated it, he hated it. He needed it all to stop, to go away.

 

“C-Can I have a Calming Draught?” he choked out. 

 

“No.”

 

Harry gave Snape a slightly hurt look, and he sighed. “You can’t use Calming Draughts to push down all difficult emotions so you never have to deal with them, as much as you may wish to. Unfortunately, you have to weather this - it’s important.”

 

Harry curled further in on himself, the despair crushing him. In that moment, he felt as though nothing could ever make this better. He was consigned to this hellish whirlwind of grief forever.

 

“But you aren’t alone,” Snape continued. “I’m here for however long you need me.”

 

Harry looked up, pressed his lips together, and dared to lean his head against Snape’s shoulder, hoping desperately that he wouldn’t be roughly shoved away. And as he’d promised, Snape didn’t reject him. As a matter of fact, he drew Harry a little closer, until his arm was completely encircling Harry’s shoulders. 

 

He stayed. 

 

Snape remained right at Harry’s side for what felt like an eternity while Harry sobbed until he ran out of tears to cry over the parents he’d never know and missed dearly, over the people who he’d been raised by instead, over his fury at Voldemort’s cruelty, things he’d never been allowed the space to feel before but had to deal with now as it all exploded out of him in a great mass of weeping. Harry cried until he thought he’d be sick, until his eyes hurt and his throat was raw and scratchy, all while Snape’s arm around him kept him moored amongst the grief. He stayed silent, since they both knew platitudes to be worse than useless, but the gentle circling of his hand on Harry’s shoulder said all that needed to be said. It imparted all of the sentiment Harry knew Snape struggled often to find the actual words for.

 

Once the sobs eased enough for Harry to draw a clear breath through, Snape handed the tea back to him and told him to drink it all. It was a surprisingly difficult feat, considering his ragged breathing, but Harry tried his best to concentrate on that task. Just holding something warm in the chilly dungeons provided an additional kind of comfort, at any rate. By the time he reached the dregs at the bottom of the mug, the breakdown had mostly concluded, and his gasps for air had levelled out into even breaths and the occasional sniffle.

 

When it was all done, and Harry was numb and broken down, like he’d been buffeted by an almighty hurricane, he couldn’t even find it in himself to be too embarrassed by that horrid emotional display. All he could feel was an immense sense of relief that so much weight had finally been lifted from his shoulders. It had been surprisingly helpful to let everything he’d been bottling up explode out in one great wave of tears, even though Harry normally prided himself on suppressing any urge to cry. After all, it had managed to rid him of that awful cloud of numb misery - he could finally feel again. 

 

Still, Harry was exhausted. Between the tiring explosion of emotions and the lack of sleep over the last few days, he was dead on his feet. His eyelids began to droop slightly as he continued to rest his head on Snape’s shoulder, and he had to jerk himself awake rather violently. Even if Harry was too wrung out to be appropriately embarrassed by his crying breakdown, he still drew the line at falling asleep on Snape. That was simply too much.

 

“I’m tired,” he said in a croaky voice, pulling away from Snape. Harry found himself surprisingly reluctant to break away. “I’m going to go back to bed.”

 

“Let’s go, then.” Snape stood up and followed Harry through the darkened quarters and into Harry’s bedroom. He burrowed under the covers, eyes aching, and stared hard at the wall. He knew Snape was still standing behind him, but couldn’t bring himself to look back at the man.

 

“If you wake up again, fetch me,” Snape said.

 

“I really don’t want to bother you again -”

 

“It bothers me more to think you’re struggling alone,” he said firmly. “You will fetch me.”

 

Harry sighed to himself. “I really hate the Dementors.”

 

“Well, just know you’re not alone in that,” Snape said heavily. “The majority of witches and wizards despise those abominations of nature. Believe me when I say the Headmaster is doing his utmost to get those foul creatures booted from the school grounds.”

 

“Good.” 

 

Maybe if Dumbledore threw the Dementors out, Harry would stand a chance of keeping his place on the Quidditch team. Oliver Wood certainly wouldn't want to keep Harry if he kept falling off his broom at a moment's notice.

 

“I don’t want to feel like this anymore,” Harry whispered. “I hate it. I’ve been miserable this whole week, and I just can’t stop thinking about it all, especially at night, and I haven’t slept properly in days and days…”

 

“Perhaps I can assist you with that?”

 

Harry rolled over to look at Snape, whose face was half obscured by night-time shadow. “How?”

 

“Occlumency,” he said. “I can try and teach it to you. I have been considering it for a while, but there is a component of Legilimency to its teaching, which requires there to be a level of trust between teacher and student for it to be -”

 

“I trust you,” Harry said abruptly.

 

Snape fell silent. Harry got the impression he wasn’t quite sure how to respond to that, for some reason. After several long moments, he finally seemed to gather himself. “I’m glad you do. If I teach you properly, then it should be able to help you regulate your emotions and manage unpleasant and traumatic memories. And, if you wish, tonight I can Occlude for you.”

 

“That’s a thing?”

 

“Yes,” he said. “If you do trust me, and allow me complete entry into your mind, I should be able to temporarily deflect these memories and clear your stream of consciousness so you can get a decent night’s rest.”

 

Harry swallowed hard, did his best to push away his residual fears around Legilimency, and nodded. “Okay. Do it.”

 

“Look me in the eyes.”

 

Harry met Snape’s gaze a little nervously, not knowing what to expect. Did Legilimency hurt? How would it feel to have another presence actually in his mind?

 

But it took him a moment to realise someone was actually in there. He became abruptly aware of a probing sensation, which felt like a beaming spotlight was being shone on Harry’s memories of the last few days. The laughing, jeering Slytherins, Ron and Hermione surrounding him like bodyguards, Draco flying into a rage at a moment’s notice, the perpetual fog, looking up at Snape’s worried face while he lied about a migraine… Harry started guiltily and tried to steer him away from that, but found he couldn’t. It was impossible to control his own thoughts with Snape in there. He didn’t like that at all, but Harry had to trust him, so he did, and allowed the process to continue.

 

Snape moved on quickly. Sleepless nights, lying in the hospital wing, aching with pain from the fall… and the fall itself. Cloaked figures, moving through the fog… a scabbed hand… screaming.

 

“Not Harry, not Harry, please not Harry!”

 

“Stand aside, you silly girl… stand aside, now…” 

 

“Not Harry, please no, take me, kill me instead -” 

 

High, cold laughter and screams mixed together with the flash of blinding green light that haunted Harry’s nightmares. The weary, aching, unbearable sadness crashed back in, grief and misery mixing together with something new. It wasn’t just Harry’s sadness anymore, he realised. Snape’s own emotions were bleeding in. His own grief.

 

It felt jagged, like the sharp edge of a broken glass. It was all wrapped in guilt, and hatred, and self-flagellating blame. The pain was almost unbearable, like Snape’s very heart was ripped in two, but it complemented Harry’s own grief, which felt like absence, and a cold, lonely childhood, and the knowledge that a part of who he was would forever be missing.

 

And then, nothing. 

 

Soft rain fell over Harry’s thoughts and memories, growing and swelling from a puddle into the great, rippling waves of an ocean. Harry had never been to the seaside before, but he imagined that lying on the surface of the water would feel something like this. He was buoyed by the movement of the waves, gently rocking him. It was a rhythmic, soothing sensation. 

 

Had Harry been upset? None of it mattered. There was nothing but the soft hiss of waves as they brushed across sand, and the sensation of the water bobbing beneath him. He felt relaxed. He felt peaceful.

 

Sleep came to Harry on the waves of the sea, a long, uninterrupted sleep, free of Dementors and murders and Dark Lords. He just dreamed of the beach, and of a pealing, childish laughter, carrying to him over the breeze. All was calm.

To be continued...
The Fragility of Trust by aspionage

It took Harry a very long time to wake. 

 

Even as he returned to consciousness, Harry didn’t get up as quickly as he normally would. He was warm, comfortable, and felt so rested. It was too cosy, wrapped up in the duvet, and he didn’t ever want to leave his bed.

 

But it wasn’t long before the previous night’s events came flooding back to Harry. He groaned and burrowed under his duvet, cheeks aflame. He could not face the world after a display like that, especially since Snape was probably outside somewhere, judging him viciously! Had he actually cried on the man like a three-year-old? What was wrong with him? Harry was suddenly struck by the urge to owl Gilderoy Lockhart for a handy Memory Charm so he could scrub last night’s events from his brain…

 

Things felt rather odd, and Harry abruptly realised that it was because Snape’s quarters were strangely silent. Normally when he woke up on a school day, he’d hear the sounds of Draco rooting through his drawers, or Snape rustling papers, but things were entirely silent. Harry finally surfaced from his blanket cocoon, pushed his glasses onto his face, and squinted at his alarm clock. His stomach dropped.

 

It was quarter past eleven!

 

Harry jolted upright, panic rushing through him. He was going to be in so much trouble! Why hadn’t someone woken him up in time for lessons? He was supposed to have Transfiguration at that very moment, and Professor McGonagall would absolutely give him detention for being so late -

 

But Harry then spotted the note on his nightstand, written in familiar, cramped handwriting.

 

Harry,

 

You have the morning off lessons, so remain in my quarters until I return from teaching. I have left food on the table, so ensure you eat something when you wake.

 

S.S.

 

Harry felt some of the panic ease, but the note didn’t make him feel all that much better. He really wanted to just avoid Snape and get the hell out of his quarters so he could escape the embarrassment of last night, but that was impossible. Harry would be forced to return at nightfall and things would just be ten times worse if Snape knew Harry was avoiding him. 

 

He groaned and buried his face in his arms. If you could drop dead of embarrassment, Harry was going to do it.

 

The mortification was so all-consuming that it took Harry a fair few minutes to realise how much better he felt today. He’d spent all of last week in a miserable haze, and it had at last lifted. He’d also slept properly for the first time in a while, a deep and dreamless sleep without nightmares. Perhaps that was why Harry had managed to have such a long lie in. The latest he ever slept in was until about half-past eight, normally.

 

With a sigh, Harry got out of bed and began to pull on his robes. If he seemed ready for school, Snape might hopefully let him go without starting one of his endless chats? Harry hoped so, at least. He dressed, packed his bag with the textbooks for his afternoon lessons, and nervously shuffled into the main part of Snape’s quarters. 

 

Harry immediately noticed that an assortment of cereal and fruit had been set out in clear view at the table. He didn’t particularly feel like taking any of it, since it was practically lunch time and he could wait, but he doubted that excuse would fly with Snape. In fact, not eating any of that might be a gateway lecture into a discussion about other things, like the crying. Harry made a disgusted face and picked up an apple. 

 

He’d just finished eating it when the door to Snape’s quarters swung open, revealing the man. He saw the apple core in Harry’s hand and nodded approvingly. “How did you sleep?”

 

“Er - really well, actually.” Harry hurried over to the bin to throw away his food waste, just for something to do. “Sorry I slept in so late, I -”

 

“Don’t apologise,” Snape interrupted. “You clearly needed the rest, which is why I gave you the morning off.”

 

Harry nodded, and carefully avoided meeting Snape’s eyes. The tension in the air was palpable. Harry decided to break the awkward silence first, unable to bear it.

 

“So… how was your morning?”

 

“A Hufflepuff second-year singed off her eyebrows, but I otherwise avoided any major catastrophes,” Snape said, sweeping over to the sofa. He patted the seat next to him. “Sit.”

 

“I was going to go to the Great Hall for -”

 

“Sit,” he said firmly. “We’re talking about it.”

 

Harry made a great show of groaning and moping as he dragged himself over to the sofa and sat down, staring hard at the carpet. This should count as torture, he decided. 

 

“Can we just not?” he tried. “It’s embarrassing…”

 

Snape’s brows drew together. “I disagree.”

 

“It is!” Harry insisted. “I just - I was being a complete crying wreck!”

 

“There’s nothing wrong with crying, Harry.”

 

“Oh yes there is,” he muttered.

 

“Draco has cried in front of you quite a few times,” Snape commented idly. “Should he be embarrassed?”

 

Harry felt his cheeks heat up. “Well - no, but -”

 

“Then there is no reason for you to be ashamed.”

 

“It’s just different!” he protested.

 

“Really?” Snape watched him expectantly. “Tell me how, then.”

 

Harry thought for several moments, but to his annoyance, came up blank. He groaned and rubbed his hands over his face, feeling rather irritated.

 

“You have every right to be upset about what happened, at any rate,” Snape added. “You’ve had a rather difficult week.”

 

“Yeah,” Harry agreed reluctantly.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me sooner what you heard under the Dementors’ influence?” Snape asked softly.

 

Harry fidgeted with his hands uncomfortably, debating the merits of telling Snape bits and pieces or everything. In the end, he decided to throw caution to the wind and just plough on. “I was too sad to do much of anything, really… I was also kind of worried, because I knew you knew my mum, and I didn’t want to upset you. Especially because… I was worried you’d blame me for what happened that night, maybe.”

 

Harry mumbled the last few words very quickly. After a moment of nervous anticipation, he glanced up at Snape’s face, unsure of what he was looking for. The man’s expression was pained.

 

“Why on earth would I blame you?”

 

“I don’t know,” Harry said miserably. “I wasn’t thinking very clearly at all.”

 

“I certainly do not blame you!” he said fiercely. “I blame the Dark Lord, not the defenceless child he attacked! Good grief…”

 

Harry felt his shoulders slump with relief. Apparently, a tiny part of him had still been worried without him truly realising.

 

“Harry.” Snape gave him a piercing look. “What happened to your parents was not your fault.”

 

Harry bit down on his lip, hard.

 

“Do you understand that?”

 

“I guess…”

 

“You will cease saying that it is immediately, then,” Snape ordered. "You are not responsible, and claiming to be absolves those who actually perpetrated the crimes against your family of their responsibility." 

 

“Okay,” Harry said with a wince. He hadn’t thought about things from that angle.

 

“Say it, then,” Snape ordered.

 

Harry frowned at him. “What?”

 

“Say it wasn’t your fault.”

 

Harry wrung his hands in his lap and took a shallow breath in. “What… what happened to my parents wasn’t my fault.”

 

Part of Harry felt a little ridiculous, having to repeat something like that aloud, but it did make him feel a little better to say it.

 

“Your parents would want you to be happy,” Snape said quietly. “Don’t do their sacrifices a disservice and carry on in the way you have.”

 

“I won’t,” Harry promised. “I really do feel a lot better today. Er - last night did help, I think, letting it out.”

 

He coughed and ducked his head, cheeks burning with embarrassment. 

 

“I’m glad to hear it,” Snape said. He regarded Harry thoughtfully for a moment. “You know, I was serious when I offered you Occlumency lessons. If you’re still willing, I’d be perfectly happy to teach you.”

 

“Really?”

 

“I believe it’s a very useful skill,” Snape said. “Our lessons will begin after Christmas, then.”

 

Harry smiled. “Great.”

 

“After I fetch some things from my office, shall we go to the Great Hall together so you can rejoin your classmates?” Snape suggested.

 

“Okay.” Harry got to his feet and followed Snape into his office. Feeling curious, he asked, “So what was that Occlumency stuff you did last night, then? How did you make all my thoughts go away like that?”

 

“I brought you into my mindscape,” he explained. He pulled open a desk drawer and tucked a stack of papers into the pocket of his robes. 

 

“What’s a mindscape?”

 

“A physical landscape that I go to so I can shield my other thoughts, emotions and memories,” Snape said.

 

“Is that what you’re doing when your face goes all randomly relaxed when you get angry?” he asked.

 

“Yes.”

 

“How?”

 

“I’ll explain in more depth when I begin our Occlumency lessons.”

 

“Okay…” Harry, who wanted to learn how to do that immediately, had to fight to avoid sounding too impatient. “So how did I get in yours?”

 

“Legilimency.”

 

“That’s the mind reading stuff, right?”

 

“It is not mind reading,” Snape said tersely. He moved from his desk and began to prod at some vials at the back of his shelves. “It is far more eloquent and complex, and at any rate the mind cannot be ‘read’ in the way you describe -”

 

“But you saw my thoughts and memories and stuff, right?” he interrupted. 

 

“I did.”

 

Harry shrugged. “Sounds like mind reading to me.”

 

Snape gave him a truly withering look, then returned to his vials.

 

“So when I was at that beach place, I was in your mindscape - so was I like, in your thoughts?” The idea was simultaneously fascinating and slightly alarming to Harry. 

 

“Legilimency is in part the melding of two minds, so in a manner of speaking you were.”

 

“Cool!” he said. “Am I going to learn to do that with other people?”

 

“Perhaps, but it’s rather advanced,” Snape said. “It would take a while to learn.”

 

“I’ve never even been to a beach, but it was like I was actually there, you know?” Harry said. “So if I could do that, you could take people everywhere! Like - if I wanted to show someone Hogwarts who had never been there, I could take them into my mind and they’d be there, too… Legilimency is wicked!”

 

“We’re awfully chatty today, aren’t we?” Snape remarked, finally moving away from his shelves and towards the door.

 

“Well I’ve barely said anything for days and days, so I’m making up for lost time,” Harry said, following Snape out of the office.

 

“Perhaps employ a bit of that chattiness in the event you find yourself becoming that emotionally distressed again, please?” Snape said. He stopped walking and raised an eyebrow. “Despite your claims to the contrary, I cannot actually read minds. Seeing you in such a state while being powerless to work out what is wrong is not a particularly pleasant experience.”

 

Harry winced. He suddenly felt very bad for icing out Snape in the way he had been after the Quidditch match. “Sorry…”

 

“I don’t want an apology - I want you to place more value in your own wellbeing,” he said. “When I became your guardian, I promised you I wanted to help you with your problems - that still remains true. You can always come to me.”

 

“I’ll try more,” Harry said. “It’s not something I’m super good at, that’s all…”

 

“Believe me, I’ve noticed,” Snape said dryly. 

 

Harry gave him a sheepish look and shoved his hands into his pockets as they continued through the dungeons. Going to adults with his issues just wasn’t something he remembered was an option most of the time… the Dursleys could have cared less about his problems, after all. 

 

Still, Harry knew he needed to give it a go. Every single time he had a problem Harry found himself fearing Snape’s reaction if he dared to go to the man with it, but each time Snape was extraordinarily helpful. He’d helped Harry after the Dementors, after the issues with Draco, after finding out about the Dursleys… the list went on, really. What was the point of going around and feeling miserable when you could easily fix your problems by actually talking to someone about them?

 

I trust you, Harry thought at Snape’s back. I have someone to trust, now. I know he’ll help me.

 

He smiled to himself, a warm glow spreading throughout his chest.

 


 

Harry found himself quickly settling back into the regular routine of school after the Quidditch incident. Snape wasn’t the only one to seem rather relieved that Harry was back to normal - Ron and Hermione also seemed to cheer up when he returned to lessons, and Draco was clearly thrilled when Harry returned to their quarters Friday evening, actually smiling for the first time in a week. He couldn’t help but feel rather guilty for worrying them all, but that feeling quickly dissipated as Harry was dragged back into the usual routines of Exploding Snap, homework anxieties, and overly-competitive games of Monopoly. 

 

Harry made a mental note to work out a proper plan to get Ron and Hermione and Draco in a room together. After seeing them take on Pansy, Crabbe and Goyle together last week, Harry was certain Ron and Draco had a lot more in common than the two of them thought. He also thought Hermione might enjoy having someone more on her level to actually argue about homework with - if only they could all get past the first few years they’d known each other…

 

And as it turned out, Snape wasn’t the only person offering Harry extra lessons. After his first Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson following the Quidditch match, Professor Lupin held Harry back.

 

“I was terribly sorry to hear about what happened with the match,” he said, packing some papers into his tattered briefcase. “Is there any chance of fixing your broomstick?” 

 

“No,” Harry said sadly. “The tree smashed it to bits.”

 

Lupin sighed. “They planted the Whomping Willow the same year that I arrived at Hogwarts, you know. People used to play a game, trying to get near enough to touch the trunk. In the end, a boy called Davey Gudgeon nearly lost an eye, and we were forbidden to go near it. No broomstick would have a chance.”

 

“Er - did you hear about the Dementors, too?” Harry asked a little awkwardly.

 

“Yes, I did,” Lupin looked at him for a long moment. “I don’t think any of us have seen Professor Dumbledore that angry. They have been growing restless for some time - furious at his refusal to let them inside the grounds… I suppose they were the reason you fell?”

 

“Yeah.” Harry’s shoulders slumped. “I hate that they affect me like that.”

 

“Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this earth,” Lupin said bitterly. “They infest the darkest, filthiest places, they glory in decay and despair, they drain peace, hope and happiness out of the air around them. Even Muggles feel their presence, though they can’t see them. Get too near a Dementor and every good feeling, every happy memory, will be sucked out of you. If it can, the Dementor will feed on you long enough to reduce you to something like itself - soulless and evil. You’ll be left with nothing but the worst experiences of your life. And the worst that has happened to you, Harry, is enough to make anyone fall off their broom. You have nothing to feel ashamed of.”

 

Snape had said something similar, Harry thought, recalling their late night discussion last Thursday. He thought it was rather odd how much Snape clearly hated Lupin, even though they believed a lot of the same things. Harry felt like they’d get on - so why didn’t they? Was it simply because Lupin held the Defence Against the Dark Arts post, which Harry knew Snape coveted? He considered asking, but Lupin was so obviously a sore spot for Snape, and Harry really didn’t want to start an argument when they were getting along so nicely right now.

 

“You made the Dementors on the train go away,” he said abruptly.

 

“There are certain defences one can use,” Lupin said slowly. “But there was only one Dementor on the train. The more there are, the more difficult it becomes to resist -” 

 

“What defences?” Harry asked eagerly. “Can you teach me?” 

 

“I don’t pretend to be an expert at fighting Dementors, Harry - quite the contrary -” 

 

“But if the Dementors come to another Quidditch match, I need to be able to fight them!”

 

“Well … all right,” Lupin agreed haltingly. “I’ll try and help. But it’ll have to wait until next term, I’m afraid. I have a lot to do before the holidays. I chose a very inconvenient time to fall ill.”

 

Harry grinned. “Thanks, sir.”

 

After the promise of anti-Dementor lessons, Christmas was upon Hogwarts. The grounds were covered by a brilliant, sparkling frost, Professor Flitwick began the usual business of decorating the castle, and everyone started to discuss Christmas plans. Harry, to his shock, actually found he had some for once, although he hadn’t lended the topic much thought before Draco brought it up with Snape in early December.

 

“Are we going to return to Spinner’s End for Christmas, Severus?” Draco asked. Harry glanced up from a half-complete drawing of Hedwig in flight, interested.

 

“No - we’ll be remaining in the castle,” Snape said. “I have Head of House duties to attend to over the holidays. We’ll dine in the Great Hall for Christmas dinner, but otherwise celebrate the occasion amongst ourselves, I think.”

 

Harry looked between the two of them, and had to fight to hide his shock. He, Harry Potter, actually had Christmas plans. The only time he’d felt this shocked in relation to a holiday was when he’d woken up on Christmas morning two years ago to actually find presents piled at the end of his bed.

 

Harry felt slightly silly that it hadn’t occurred to him earlier to ask, but Christmas was something of a sore spot for him after years of being excluded by the Dursleys on the actual day. He was forced to slave over the food while Dudley opened piles and piles of presents, wondering why Father Christmas hadn’t bothered to get Harry a thing even though he’d tried extra hard to be good this year…

 

Harry struggled to push away the residual sting of the memory and looked between Draco and Snape, feeling something akin to wonder. He was actually wanted for Christmas. It made him feel warm all over.

 

“Not a lot of people are staying this year, you know,” Draco said to Harry. “The whole castle will be empty.”

 

Harry smiled. “It’ll be fun having it all to ourselves, I think.”

 

Snape gave them a slightly disapproving look but otherwise didn’t comment. Harry could tell he was darkly imagining the sort of mischief they would be getting up to.

 

“And we must decorate your quarters, Severus!” Draco said excitedly.

 

Snape sighed loudly. “Must we?”

 

“Oh, yes,” he said, nodding vigorously. “We ought to have trees, and tinsel, and garland, and lights…”

 

“You could definitely do with some Christmas cheer, sir,” Harry said with a smirk.

 

Snape simply sneered at him in return and shook his head. “Fine. Deface my quarters with your gaudy Christmas nonsense…”

 

He strode towards his office, a disapproving look on his face.

 

“D’you reckon we could sneak a carolling suit of armour into his bedroom?” Draco whispered.

 

“We can use my Invisibility Cloak,” Harry whispered back with a grin.

 

"I can still hear you!" Snape called, his tones stern and imposing. For some reason, his dramatic disapproval struck Harry as truly hilarious, and he found himself dissolving into fits of laughter with Draco. Every time they tried to stop, one would set the other off again, until Snape threatened to double-dose them both with Calming Draughts if they didn’t stop.

 


 

The approaching holidays also brought another Hogsmeade trip, which Harry was yet again excluded from. Ron and Hermione were very excited to do all of their Christmas shopping, while Harry had resigned himself to a day hidden away in some quiet corner of the castle, tucked up under his Invisibility Cloak to avoid unwanted company. He had borrowed a few magazines and catalogues in a vain attempt to try and figure out what on earth he should buy Snape as a Christmas present. Something potion-y? Another pair of black robes? Headphones to block out Harry and Draco’s bickering? He was stumped.

 

But as Harry went off to find a place to hide away after waving goodbye to Ron and Hermione, he found himself being yanked into an abandoned classroom by none other than Fred and George Weasley.

 

“We’ve got you an early Christmas present,” George said, eyes twinkling with mischief. 

 

“Oh?” 

 

Fred dramatically pulled a piece of stained parchment from his cloak and placed it onto a desk. “This, Harry, is the secret to our success.” 

 

“It’s a wrench, giving it to you,” George said, “but we decided last night, your need’s greater than ours.”

 

“Anyway, we know it off by heart,’ Fred added. “We bequeath it to you. We don’t really need it any more.” 

 

“And what do I need with a bit of old parchment?” Harry asked.

 

“A bit of old parchment!” Fred pressed a hand to his chest and closed his eyes, as if mortally offended. “Let us explain.”

 

And explain they did. Harry listened with wide eyes as the twins told him the tale of how they’d retrieved this bit of parchment all the way back in their first year and explained how to make it work as a map. Harry stared at the little ink dots beneath the curling calligraphy naming it ‘the Marauders Map’ with fascination. 

 

After telling Harry about the multiple disused or dysfunctional passages, George pointed to one particular corridor. “This one here leads right into the cellar of Honeydukes. We’ve used it loads of times. And, as you might’ve noticed, the entrance is right outside this room, through that one-eyed old crone’s hump.”

 

“Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs,” sighed George. “We owe them so much.”

 

“Noble men, working tirelessly to help a new generation of lawbreakers,” Fred said solemnly. 

 

“Right,” George said briskly, “don’t forget to wipe it after you’ve used it -”

 

“- or anyone can read it,” Fred warned. 

 

“Just tap it again and say, ‘Mischief managed!’ And it’ll go blank.”

 

“So, young Harry,” Fred said in a rather pompous voice, “mind you behave yourself.”

 

“See you in Honeydukes!” George said cheerfully.

 

The two of them withdrew from the disused classroom, leaving Harry to stare in wonder at the ink dots moving around on the map before him. He watched Filch pacing back and forth in the Entrance Hall and thought hard. He wouldn’t even have to go past the Dementors this way… he could go right through the tunnel under Honeydukes and join the others…

 

But then Harry saw the dot labelled Severus Snape in his office and felt his stomach clench. If Snape knew he had disobeyed him and attempted to go into Hogsmeade, then Sirius Black wouldn’t be a problem; he’d murder Harry himself.

 

But how would Sirius Black even know Harry was in Hogsmeade? There would be dozens of people around - he wouldn’t dare show his face, would he? And besides, Harry would be under the cloak! Black wouldn’t even be able to see him, even if he actually was there! Nothing about this was actually dangerous - Snape was just paranoid. 

 

But if Snape found out, somehow…

 

He wouldn’t, Harry assured himself. Snape had a long day of brewing ahead of him - they’d discussed it that morning, since Harry had turned down Snape’s offer for company, wanting to be alone. It was all lined up perfectly - he even had the Invisibility Cloak tucked under his robes. There was no way anybody would find out - he’d only let Ron and Hermione see him, and they certainly wouldn’t tell…

 

Harry very abruptly stuffed the map into his robes and hurried out of the classroom to the statue of the one-eyed witch. After carefully examining the corridor for potential witnesses and consulting the map to see what he should do, Harry tapped the statue with his wand and whispered, “Dissendium!” 

 

The statue slid open just enough to reveal a small hole that Harry could squeeze through. He slid down a long chute and landed in a pitch black tunnel. Harry lit his wand, wiped the map clear, and began to walk. He was practically vibrating with excitement and anticipation. This was amazing! He could go to and from Hogsmeade without anyone finding out, so he wouldn’t feel so glum and left out, and Snape would never have to know.

 

There was a sudden rush of guilt, which Harry did his best to push it away. It was good in the long run for him and Snape, Harry told himself. They kept having terse discussions and all-out arguments when it came to Hogsmeade, and this way, he could get his Hogsmeade fix and be less upset by the forced exclusion!

 

But this is wrong, a niggling little voice in the back of his head whispered. You know he’s just trying to protect you, and after everything he’s done for you, this is a sorry way to repay him…

 

But Harry would be perfectly safe…

 

So why couldn’t he put those guilty thoughts out of his mind?

 

Harry had managed to just about put most of his thoughts of Snape to one side when the tunnel finally started to even out. He climbed what felt like hundreds of steps until his head smacked into something hard - a trapdoor. 

 

Harry cautiously poked his head through it and realised he was in a cellar, full of crates and boxes. After carefully checking he was alone, Harry hoisted himself out of the trapdoor, carefully wrapped the Invisibility Cloak around himself, and slipped through the half-open door.

 

Harry’s face split into a grin as he took in the sights before him. Dozens of students packed the aisles, which were stuffed with all sorts of fun and exciting sweets from Fizzing Whizzbees to Pepper Imps. Harry weaved his way through the crowd, taking care not to bump into anyone, until he found Ron and Hermione bickering over a display of blood-flavoured lollipops. 

 

“...can’t get him Cockroach Clusters, Ron!” she said exasperatedly.

 

“Why not? Malfoy could love them, you don’t know…”

 

“If we’re going to get him presents, then we should do it properly,” Hermione said firmly.

 

Harry’s jaw dropped. Ron and Hermione were buying Draco gifts? Had he gone through the looking glass somewhere along that tunnel?

 

Ron was giving Hermione a sceptical look. “I don’t know who you think you are to lecture me about sweets Malfoy would like since you’re buying him Toothflossing Stringmints!”

 

“They’re tasty!” Hermione protested.

 

“They stab your gums!”

 

“Maybe if you actually brushed your teeth properly your gums wouldn’t start hurting so easily,” Hermione said sniffily.

 

“I don’t know why I bother,” Ron grumbled. “Just get him a block of chocolate, why don’t you?” He craned his neck and scanned the selection with a frown. “But I don’t know what one of these to pick, either…”

 

“He’s a fan of the salted caramel,” Harry said, sharply prodding Ron’s shoulder through the cloak.

 

Ron let out a rather undignified shriek, startling a nearby group of Hufflepuff fifth-years, and stared around Honeydukes wildly. “Who’s there?!”

 

“It’s me,” Harry whispered, pulling the hood of the cloak back enough so that Ron and Hermione could see his face.

 

Hermione gasped and pressed her gloved hands to her mouth. “Harry? What - how on earth -”

 

“Did you learn to Apparate?” Ron asked excitedly. 

 

Harry quickly filled them in on the details of the Marauders Map. Ron immediately became outraged.

 

“I can’t believe Fred and George didn’t give it to me! I’m their brother!”

 

“But Harry isn’t going to keep it!” Hermione said. “He’s going to hand it in to Professor McGonagall, aren’t you, Harry?”

 

Harry scoffed. “No way! Besides, if I hand it in, I’ll have to say where I got it! Filch would know Fred and George nicked it!” 

 

“But what about Sirius Black?” Hermione hissed. “He could be using one of the passages on that map to get into the castle! The teachers have got to know!” 

 

“He can’t be getting in through a passage,” Harry said quickly. “There are seven secret tunnels on the map, right? Fred and George reckon Filch already knows about four of them. And the other three - one of them’s caved in, so no one can get through it. One of them’s got the Whomping Willow planted over the entrance, so you can’t get out of it. And the one I just came through - well - it’s really hard to see the entrance to it down in the cellar, so unless he knew it was there…”

 

Some of Harry’s excitement died away. What if Black did know the passage was there? It would be really irresponsible of him to keep this secret if that was possible…

 

But Ron quickly pointed to a notice pasted on the inside of the sweetshop door, announcing nightly Dementor patrols of Hogsmeade until further notice. “See? There’s no way he could get in through here! It’s fine, Hermione!” 

 

“Yes, but -” Hermione pressed her lips together, still clearly trying to find another problem. “Look, Harry still shouldn’t be coming into Hogsmeade, he hasn’t got a signed form! If anyone finds out, he’ll be in so much trouble! Professor Snape would be furious if he knew, Harry!”

 

He grimaced at the reminder of Snape, and more of the guilty came flooding back, accompanied by no small amount of fear. If the man even got a hint that Harry had done this, he’d be so unbearably furious…

 

But it was a risk worth taking, in Harry’s opinion. Honeydukes was fabulous, after all. Who knew what the rest of the village held in store?

 

“He’s not going to find out unless someone reports me,” Harry said firmly. “You wouldn’t, would you?”

 

“Well - well no, but -”

 

“He’s even under the cloak, Hermione!” Ron added insistently. “Black won’t see him, and neither will the teachers! It’s fine!” 

 

Hermione still looked anxious, but before she could speak, Ron began pointing out the various sweets he wanted Harry to try, cutting off any further protests.

 

After Ron and Hermione paid for their items, they began to show Harry around the various sights of the village, although it was rather difficult for them to actually go anywhere in the snowstorm. The blizzard was also rendering Harry’s Invisibility Cloak a lot less useful than usual. After all, just because nobody could see Harry didn’t mean he wasn’t able to be touched, including by the flurries of snowflakes which kept catching on the surface of his cloak. Random chunks of snow floating in the air was obviously quite suspicious, so Ron and Hermione had to thoroughly brush him down in a sheltered alleyway so they could go into Zonkos without attracting suspicion. While they sorted it out, Harry recognised a familiar head of blonde hair standing opposite to the joke shop, struggling with some sort of odd gadget. It was Draco. An idea suddenly came to him.

 

“Hang back a second,” Harry whispered, shuffling out of the alleyway and crouching down to pick up a handful of snow.

 

“Harry, what are you -”

 

He crept in Draco’s direction under the cloak, ignoring Hermione’s question, and smirked. Once he was close enough to act, Harry pounced. 

 

“Boo!” He yanked on the back of Draco’s robes and shoved the snow down his back. Draco let out a loud yelp, while Harry stumbled backwards, trying not to laugh audibly.

 

“Who’s there?” he hissed, head turning around wildly.

 

Harry just kept laughing to himself and ran back around the corner to Ron and Hermione, who had watched the whole thing. Ron was doubled over with laughter, while Hermione looked worried.

 

“Harry!” she scolded. “You need to be more careful!” 

 

“Oh, don’t worry. He didn’t see me!” Harry said, his face aching from smiling so hard.

 

“Even if he did, that would be so worth it!” Ron chucked. “His face! You two act just like my brothers, you know.”

 

“What do you mean by that?” Harry laughed.

 

“Fred and George do that every winter,” Ron said. “It used to drive Charlie spare. One year, he used a spell to stick their tongues to a lamp post in the village and left them there for hours as revenge. Mum went ballistic when she couldn’t find them anywhere!”

 

“I’d better watch out, then,” Harry said. “That sounds exactly like something Draco would do to get me back if he finds out…”

 

“Harry, your cloak’s covered in snow again!” Hermione complained, brushing him down with more force than was strictly necessary. “We just wiped it off!” 

 

“Since it’s so hard to keep you invisible, should we just run into the Three Broomsticks instead and get a drink to warm up?” Ron suggested, rubbing his hands together. “I’m bloody freezing. We can do Zonko’s in a bit.”

 

“Sure.”

 

They hurried across the road and entered the crowded inn. It was packed with people, but Harry, Ron and Hermione managed to nab a table in between the crackling fire and a large, splendid Christmas tree. Since it was so crowded, Harry shed his cloak, leaving it in a silvery, damp clump around his waist. While Ron went over to the bar to order drinks for them, Harry turned to Hermione curiously.

 

“So what’s with you two buying Draco gifts?”

 

“Oh - well, Ron and I thought it would just be a nice thing to do,” she explained. “I… well, I do feel a bit bad for not accepting his apology back in September, now. After he tried to help you during the match, and after we saw how he was defending you from the Slytherins, I think I’ve really seen a different side to Malfoy. I thought Ron and I could offer a bit of an olive branch, so he knows there’s not any bad blood between us now.”

 

“That’s brilliant,” Harry said. He grinned. “I’m sure he’ll be thrilled. Besides, you can’t go wrong with chocolate… or Toothflossing Stringmints, I suppose.”

 

Hermione laughed.

 

Ron returned to their table, carrying three brimming tankards of Butterbeer which he distributed amongst them.

 

“Happy Christmas!” Ron said cheerfully, raising his tankard.

 

Harry took a long gulp, and suddenly remembered a long-ago conversation with Draco at Spinner’s End where he’d excitedly told Harry about Butterbeer, claiming it to be the greatest drink ever invented. At the time, Harry had doubted him, but he now knew Draco hadn’t been exaggerating in the slightest. It was delicious, sugary, and warmed Harry to the tips of his toes.

 

He was just about to take another sip when an icy breeze ruffled his hair; the pub’s door had opened. Harry had just enough time to register the signature lime-green bowler hat of Minister Fudge when Ron and Hermione both reached over and firmly shoved him under the table. Harry snatched his Invisibility Cloak off the chair and hurriedly threw it over himself but remained crouched while Minister Fudge, Hagrid, Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick took seats at the table right by them.

 

As the four of them were joined by Madam Rosmerta, Harry felt his heart pounding in his throat. That had been a dangerously close call. If he’d been caught by any of them out in Hogsmeade, the trouble would be unimaginable. Harry really needed to sneak out of the pub when he had the chance…

 

But moments before he could crawl out from beneath the table, Madam Rosmerta said the words that changed everything. 

 

“Never saw one without the other, did you? The number of times I had them in here - ooh, they used to make me laugh. Quite the double act, Sirius Black and James Potter!”

 

Harry made a choking noise, and Ron kicked him. Harry stopped trying to get out from beneath the table and remained crouched in place, listening. His father had been friends with Sirius Black?! How had nobody ever ended up mentioning that to him before?

 

And as the conversation continued, Harry decided it couldn’t hurt to stay for a few more minutes and listen in. He wanted to find out more about what they knew, anyway…

 

But the more he heard, the more it made Harry wish he’d escaped the pub while he had the chance.

 

“You’d have thought Black and Potter were brothers! Inseparable!”

 

“...Potter trusted Black beyond all his other friends. Nothing changed when they left school. Black was best man when James married Lily. Then they named him godfather to Harry - Harry has no idea, of course.”

 

“You-Know-Who wasn’t an easy person to hide from. Dumbledore told them that their best chance was the Fidelius Charm - an immensely complicated spell…”

 

“So Black was the Potters’ Secret Keeper?”

 

“Naturally…”

 

“...Black was tired of his double-agent role, he was ready to declare his support openly for You-Know-Who, and he seemed to have planned this for the moment of the Potters’ death. But, as we all know, You-Know-Who met his downfall in little Harry Potter…”

 

“What if I’d given Harry to him, eh? I bet he’d’ve pitched him off the bike halfway out ter sea. His bes’ friend’s son!”

 

“Unfortunately, it was not we who found him. It was little Peter Pettigrew - another of the Potters’ friends.”

 

“He went for his wand. Well, of course, Black was quicker. Blew Pettigrew to smithereens…”

 

“I still dream about it sometimes. A crater in the middle of the street, so deep it had cracked the sewer below. Bodies everywhere. Muggles screaming. And Black standing there laughing, with what was left of Pettigrew in front of him…”

 

“Is it true he’s mad, Minister?”

 

“I wish I could say that he was… I met Black on my last inspection of Azkaban. You know, most of the prisoners in there sit muttering to themselves in the dark, there’s no sense in them… but I was shocked at how normal Black seemed. He spoke quite rationally to me. It was unnerving…”

 

“Good gracious, Minister, he isn’t trying to rejoin You-Know-Who, is he?”

 

“I daresay that is his - er - eventual plan… we hope to catch him long before then, of course…”

 

When the five of them at last dispersed, Harry felt cold all over. His ears were ringing strangely, and he didn’t notice Ron or Hermione calling his name until Ron shook him. He surfaced from beneath the table, legs weak and wobbly.

 

“Harry, are you alright?” Hermione asked worriedly.

 

“I - I need to go,” he stammered.

 

“Harry - “

 

He pulled the cloak more tightly around himself and disappeared into the flurry of snow. His head was pounding, his entire body was shaking, and his mind was buzzing from the information he’d just overheard.

 

Why had nobody ever told him? Dumbledore, Hagrid, Mr Weasley, Professor McGonagall, Snape. Why hadn’t Snape ever bothered to mention the fact that Harry’s parents had died because their best friend had betrayed them? 

 

Why had everybody kept this from Harry?

 

Snape definitely knew. Harry suddenly recalled their conversation from the night he'd been upset over the Dementors - Snape had mentioned a man who had betrayed his parents' location, hadn't he? At the time, Harry hadn't given it much thought - he'd been otherwise occupied - but now, he realised just who Snape had been referring to. Sirius Black.

 

Snape had definitely known, and he'd chosen to keep it from Harry, knowing he hated secrets, knowing that Harry had every right to know who had murdered his mother and father -

 

He felt so angry and upset that he thought he would be sick. Hatred and fury was coursing through Harry, setting his blood on fire. He ground his back teeth as he marched his way through Hogsmeade, wishing he could punch a wall or something. Anything to dissipate the heavy weight of the outrage pounding in his chest…

 

Harry was so distracted that he didn't register the crunch of footsteps through snow until the person running up behind Harry snatched the Invisibility Cloak from his body before harshly grabbing him by the collar. Harry was whirled around and found his face mere inches away from a truly livid Snape. He felt something inside of him wither. How had Snape found out he was here? Harry had been so careful! Nobody had seen him but Ron and Hermione!

 

And then, Harry finally realised what he’d overlooked. It had been so many months now that Harry had forgotten the slight, subtle pressure of the silver bangle around his wrist.

 

Snape had a tracker on him. 

 

Harry would rather face a hundred Dementors than experience the oncoming explosion of fury Snape was surely about to unleash upon him.

To be continued...
Consequences by aspionage

Harry stared into Snape’s furious face and swallowed hard. His mouth was like sandpaper. "Sir, I -"

 

"Not. A. Word," Snape growled. Tightening his grip on Harry's collar, he began to unceremoniously drag Harry down a side street that led in the direction of Hogwarts. Harry found himself feeling incredibly grateful for the raging blizzard; the poor visibility meant that no one was around to see him being roughly hauled along by one highly aggrieved professor.

 

Snape did not speak - not as they exited the village, not as they hurried up the path to the castle gates, nothing. In fact, when the man barked, “Expecto patronum!” as they approached the Dementors guarding the castle grounds, Harry nearly jumped out of his skin.

 

The silver doe circling the two of them was surprisingly good at staving off the Dementors’ effects; it meant that Harry didn’t feel their usual draining misery whatsoever. Of course, Harry was so terrified of what was about to happen to him that he doubted even Dementors could make him feel worse than he already did.

 

Snape was actually going to kill him. This was it - he was going to completely snap, lock Harry in the darkest Hogwarts dungeon, torture him with thumbscrews and chop him into potions ingredients. Every now and then Harry chanced a look at the man, and every time he deeply regretted it. Snape’s face was a livid white, grim and drawn. His eyes were narrowed, lips pursed, and his jaw was so tense that it looked as if it could crack walnuts. His hand was like a vice on Harry’s neck, and it seemed as though he was barely restraining himself from reaching over and throttling Harry.

 

Harry wished he would start lecturing, or yelling, or anything. The silent anticipation as he waited for Snape to come down on him was positively hellish. As they entered the castle, Harry actually considered trying to run away from Snape - anything to get away from whatever was about to happen to him. Still, it was all hopeless. The man’s grip was too firm to escape, and he only released his hold on the scruff of Harry’s neck when they were inside Snape’s office. As the door slammed shut, Harry was filled with the overwhelming certainty that he would not be seeing the outside world again for a very, very long time.

 

Snape did not sit. He whirled over to his desk in a flurry of black robes and examined Harry with narrowed, furious eyes. He folded his arms and pressed his lips into a thin, bloodless line. Harry gulped.

 

Several agonising moments passed, during which Harry struggled to think of what to say or do. He had just opened his mouth to speak - what he would say, Harry wasn’t sure of - when Snape finally broke his silence.

 

“I do not force you to obey an excess of rules, Harry.” His tone was soft, practically a whisper. Somehow, that was more terrifying than Snape shouting at him. “And the ones I do instate have a purpose, shockingly enough. We’ve had multiple conversations about where you are and are not allowed to be… so imagine my surprise when I checked your location and found you were not tucked away in some corner of the castle, which you claimed was your day’s plan when you lied to my face this morning, but in the village. Are you allowed to visit Hogsmeade village, Harry?”

 

He bowed his head and didn’t respond.

 

“Of course, you think you’re above such petty things as rules, don’t you?” Snape’s whispers were edging more into growls. “You wouldn’t put much stock in such things as trust and obedience. I suppose my desire to prevent your brutal murder is just the height of cruelty, isn’t it?”

 

The reference to Black banished Harry's nervous anticipation in a moment. Burning fury replaced it as everything he'd heard in the pub came flooding right back, as well as the memory of Snape's role in keeping it from him.

 

  I trusted you. I trusted you, and you lied to me!

 

Harry swallowed hard, trying to keep a handle on his temper as Snape continued his rant.

 

"I see now that we oughtn't even bother to install protections!" Snape said, the volume of his voice climbing. "Perhaps we should hand Sirius Black a detailed list of instructions directing him on how to find you, since you're completely incapable of fulfilling any basic requirements set in place to keep you safe! Are you truly so daft that you snuck into Hogsmeade?! Have you a singular intelligent thought floating around inside that waste of space you call a skull?”

 

"I was under the cloak!" Harry protested, his anger with Snape only growing with every passing moment. "I was hidden!"

 

"Black is intimately familiar with the ins and outs of this particular cloak, as a matter of fact!" Snape shouted, waving the Invisibility Cloak around in the air before slamming it onto his desk. "It is not the protection you apparently think it is, which is why you should have stayed in the castle!"

 

Black would be familiar with it - the Invisibility Cloak was once James Potter's. James, who had been best mates with Sirius Black, who had been betrayed by him…

 

"I cannot believe you would do something this stupid!" Snape yelled. "Did you even think this through for a moment, Harry? Did you consider how dangerous it was for no one to know where you were? Did you contemplate the immense dangers of trying to hoodwink Dementors, especially given your heightened reaction to them? You're a damn fool!"

 

Harry glowered at the jars of floating dead things on Snape's office wall, his chest heaving with heavy, fast breaths. He was so angry that he felt like he could explode at any moment -

 

"Look at me when I'm speaking to you!" Snape shouted. "Do you have anything to say for yourself?"

 

Harry felt the last bits of his restraint snap, and he shouted, "I don't know! Do you have anything to say, Snape?!"

 

By now, Snape was truly apoplectic. The muscles in his jaw were practically convulsing. "It would be very unwise to cheek me at the minute, Potter -"

 

"I don't care!" he yelled. "You're a liar, you know that? A stupid liar!"

 

The furious expression on Snape's face became tinged with confusion. "I beg your pardon?"

 

"How could you?" Harry shouted, hands clenched into fists. "You didn't think I deserved to know Sirius Black betrayed my parents?! Even after I told you how much I hate being lied to, you kept lying to me about him!"

 

Snape winced and rested his hands on his desk. "Harry -"

 

"He was my dad's best friend!" Harry yelled, blood pounding in his ears, heart hammering like a drumbeat in his chest. "And I didn't know that, and I certainly didn't know that he’s my fucking godfather, or that he sold them out to Voldemort, because no one ever bothered to tell me! What, did it slip your mind or something? I’m the one he did this to, and none of you told me! What the hell is wrong with you, Snape?! I thought I could trust you!"

 

"Harry, calm down."

 

"NO!" Harry screeched, his throat raw and scratchy. "I WILL NOT CALM DOWN! YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME! SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME HE WAS BEHIND IT, THAT HE'S THE REASON THEY'RE DEAD, AND YOU KNEW! YOU KNEW, YOU BASTARD!"

 

Harry seized a jar with something purple floating in it off a shelf and in a rush of fury, threw it as hard as he possibly could at the floor, relishing the crunch and smash of broken glass, hoping it would ease the cresting grief in his chest. It didn't, so he drove his fist into the wall, imagining it to be Black’s smug, mad face -

 

Snape was on his feet in a flash. He shot over to Harry before he knew what was happening and grabbed Harry’s wrists in a vice-like grip. Snape pulled Harry flush against him and encircled his arms tightly around Harry’s body so that he was pinioned.

 

"LET GO OF ME!" Harry yelled, trying his hardest to writhe away.

 

"No," Snape said firmly. His grip was far too strong for Harry to struggle out of. "You’re going to hurt yourself."

 

"I DON'T CARE IF I DO!" Harry screeched. He heard something shatter nearby, but paid the sound no mind. "HE HURT ME! HE BETRAYED THEM, HE'S THE REASON I HEAR MY MUM DYING EVERY TIME I GET NEAR A DEMENTOR, IT'S ALL HIS FAULT AND I HATE HIM!"

 

"I know," Snape said softly.

 

"I hate him!" Harry shouted again, even though his voice was cracking from the despairing sob he was barely suppressing. "I hate him, I hate him, I hate him -"

 

And now Harry had completely gone and lost it again, and tears were burning in his eyes, hot and furious tears that he refused to let fall but couldn’t quite stop, and his shouts dissolved into ragged gasps as he struggled not to weep fully. Fighting off Snape suddenly felt like a herculean effort, and Harry just didn’t have it in him. He slumped backwards into Snape, going limp, barely able to hold his own weight up on his legs. Snape's grip loosened just enough to allow him to turn Harry around so his face was buried in Snape's robes. His arms wrapped around Harry's shaking shoulders, keeping him close. His grip was still too firm for Harry to escape, but there was now a comforting element to being held in a time where Harry felt like his entire world was crumbling.

 

"I hate him, too," Snape said bitterly.

 

"He was their friend!" 

 

"I know. I understand."

 

And he did. He knew Snape felt that same sense of smarting betrayal because whenever he spoke about Lily, the grief on his face was stark and striking. He missed her, too. Harry wondered if the pain felt the same for Snape as it did for him; a mass of jagged broken glass in the centre of his chest that cut a little deeper every time he gasped for air. He missed his mother, he missed his father, and Harry wanted them.

 

All Harry wanted was his parents, and Black had robbed him of them.

 

He shut his eyes as Snape continued to hold him and tried to imagine his mother or father in Snape’s place. He tried and tried, but they just felt so far away, and it was impossible to imagine…

 

But maybe this was a good enough substitute.

 

“Breathe, Harry,” Snape instructed, carding a hand through Harry’s hair. “You need to calm down.”

 

Harry gasped for breath through the lump in his throat, and tried to focus on the soothing motion of Snape’s hand on his head to distract himself from the choking devastation. He couldn’t work out if he was angry, or upset, or some horrid combination of both - all he knew was that he felt awful. It seemed like every time Harry thought he understood what had happened to his parents the rug was pulled out from under him, and he had to go through the pain all over again.

 

Harry did his best to breathe, to blink back the tears in his eyes, and eventually managed to calm himself down a little. He wasn’t going to cry over Black, he decided. That traitorous bastard wasn’t worth his tears. He sniffled, and shook himself furiously. He needed to get it together - he was being pathetic.

 

Harry tried to pull away from Snape, but his arms remained firm and unyielding. Harry winced, and abruptly remembered why they were in this position. He’d just snuck out to Hogsmeade, got caught, and had smashed up Snape’s office in the middle of a telling off. If he’d been in trouble before, Harry was certainly in for it now…

 

Snape ignored the movement at first, but when Harry tried more insistently to get away, he looked down and arched an eyebrow. “If I let go, are you going to control yourself?”

 

Harry felt his cheeks burn. “Er - yeah…”

 

“I know what you heard upset you, but you do not intentionally destroy my belongings, and you certainly do not start punching things,” Snape said sternly. “You cannot allow your temper to get away from you like that - it’s dangerous. You’ll injure yourself.”

 

“Sorry,” Harry whispered.

 

Snape finally released him from the hold, but he quickly gripped Harry’s shoulder with one hand. It was probably a good idea; Harry’s heart was hammering in his chest, and all he wanted to do was run away and hide. Snape reached into his pocket with his free hand and pulled out a Calming Draught, which he held in front of Harry. He would normally try to brush Snape off when he came out with potions, but he still felt very raw and emotional, so drank the Calming Draught without complaint. While the potion’s effects settled over him, Snape took the hand that Harry had punched the wall with and carefully looked it over for injuries. Something about that gesture - the fact that Snape still cared if Harry was hurt, even after what he’d done - made his throat tighten.

 

“What you heard about Black is obviously distressing, but we still need to address how you came to find this information.” Snape’s eyes looked oddly sympathetic, but his tone was stern again. He whirled his wand and conjured up a wooden chair in the corner of his office, facing the wall. He then proceeded to lead Harry over to it and firmly press him down so he was seated.

 

Harry craned his neck to look at Snape. He felt confused, and slightly scared. “What are you doing?”

 

“You are going to sit here, properly calm yourself down, and come up with a list of reasons why what you did today was a very, very bad idea,” Snape said in a low, firm voice. “I want at least four points.”

 

Harry’s jaw dropped. “Excuse me?”

 

“You are obviously in desperate need of some time to reflect on the consequences of your actions,” Snape said, crossing his arms. “As you are clearly incapable of thinking things through, perhaps this will provide you with a very necessary opportunity to learn how to control your impulses. We will discuss Black later, if you have further questions regarding what you discovered.”

 

He swept away, leaving a grimacing Harry to stare at the cobbled walls of Snape’s office, cheeks burning with embarrassment at the childish punishment. He didn’t dare protest, though, since he was in such a massive heap of trouble. Sneaking off to Hogsmeade and smashing up Snape’s things tended to have that effect. He was obviously still furious with Harry, even though the row they’d been having had tampered itself down slightly after he’d gone to pieces like that… Harry couldn’t even begin to imagine the punishments he was about to be subjected to.

 

Although being stuck to a chair in a corner - Harry quickly realised he was under the influence of a Sticking Charm when he tried to shift in his seat and couldn’t move - well, it was certainly a miserable punishment in and of itself. Nothing to do but to stare at the walls and… and contemplate his actions, or whatever it was Snape wanted Harry to do. He was not used to that. The Dursleys were more ‘smack Harry around’ type disciplinarians, and the cupboard confinement was so they didn’t have to look at him or deal with him, not so Harry could engage in any sort of reflection on his bad behaviour.

 

He didn’t think Snape had stuck him here so he was out of sight and out of mind, though. He could still hear Snape shifting around in the background - there were muttered spells, and the sounds of broken glass tinkling. Harry abruptly remembered that he’d smashed that jar, and he was fairly certain he’d also broken some things with a wave of accidental magic. Harry tensed on instinct, but forced himself to relax. He took a few breaths in through gritted teeth. Snape was not going to flip out and hit him for accidental magic, Harry reminded himself. The Dursleys would, but that was not normal behaviour. He remembered what Snape had told him: accidental magic was expected in times of emotional distress, and he couldn’t control it. He was not in trouble - for that, at least…

 

It sounded like Snape had taken a seat at his desk. Papers rustled. Harry sighed, his shoulders slumping. He was not enjoying this. Even sitting around and feeling grumpy while Snape told him off would be better than staring at a blank wall with nothing to do…

 

Considering how ticked off Snape was, though, Harry would still be getting a classic lecture if he knew anything about the man. How great.

 

So. Contemplating. Harry couldn’t really think of four reasons - he only had one. Black. He wasn’t allowed to go to Hogsmeade because Sirius Black, who was apparently his bloody godfather, could pop out and finish him off. Harry swallowed hard, trying to ignore the anger coursing through him. The Calming Draught did help - he felt less like smashing things now, at the very least - but that didn’t mean Harry wasn’t furious about what Black had done to him and his family, or that he wasn’t still very cross with Snape for not telling him that Black was his godfather. Snape had an annoying tendency to keep things from Harry because he thought they’d be… upsetting, or whatever. Harry didn’t like that.

 

Although, he thought reluctantly, maybe Snape had a half-decent reason for doing so. Finding out about Black had sent him into something of a meltdown just then, and what did Harry knowing even achieve? It just meant he felt even worse about his parents being dead. It also meant he really, really wanted to hunt down Black and get revenge. Exactly what everyone had been worried about Harry doing.

 

He hated when Snape had a point.

 

Harry ground his teeth and stared harder at the misshapen cobblestones. He didn’t know why Snape had decided on four reasons. It seemed like a very arbitrary number, especially since there was obviously just the one reason why he wasn’t allowed to go to Hogsmeade: Sirius Black. Why else was there a problem?

 

Harry supposed it was because Snape had told him to do something and he’d deliberately disobeyed, even though he knew he wasn’t supposed to be in the village. That was why he shouldn’t have done it. Maybe Snape saw it as a disrespect thing, so Harry should have stayed in the castle because he respected Snape’s authority?

 

And no one had known where he was, either. There was probably some teacher-related reason for there to be all the permission slips, as well as everyone having to get their name ticked off by Filch as they went to the village. It was so the staff knew where they were. If Harry had collapsed in Hogsmeade or something then no one would have known where to find him, especially since he was hidden under the Invisibility Cloak. He supposed that also wasn’t good…

 

Why else?

 

It took Harry a good few minutes to think it up: the Dementors. They had featured in Snape’s rant. He thought Harry had snuck out through the front gates to get to Hogsmeade - an assumption Harry wasn’t going to correct, because he’d quite like to keep ahold of the Marauders Map - and that meant going past the Dementors. And Harry fainted whenever he got too close to one, so Snape was probably worried he could have come into contact with one and lost consciousness alone, in the snow, under the cloak.

 

He’d probably been very worried about Harry when he worked out where he was from the tracker. Guilt squirmed in Harry’s stomach. He still wasn’t used to having people worry about him, so it was a hard thing to remember to account for. Snape was always paranoid about Black, so he’d probably been scared that Harry would be blown up at any moment while he was out of school.

 

That wasn’t even including the Dementors. They both knew how bad the effect they had on Harry was. When he’d been a crying wreck the other week over the Dementors and what he’d heard, Snape had been the one to comfort him, after all. He probably hadn’t liked seeing Harry like that. Because… because he cared about Harry’s wellbeing, so seeing him upset had to be unpleasant. He’d actually said himself how horrible it was to see Harry struggling without being able to help, and Snape never talked about things like feelings, so he must have really felt bad about the whole situation. Then, Harry went and did something like this. It must feel like a complete slap in the face…

 

Harry’s shoulders slumped, and he bit down on his lip. He didn’t feel angry anymore - he felt deeply, horribly ashamed. As much as he wanted to go into Hogsmeade like everybody else, he shouldn’t have taken matters into his own hands. He had been really, really stupid.

 

Just when Harry thought he couldn’t bear the weight of his guilty thoughts anymore, a hand landed on his shoulder. Harry felt the Sticking Charm release, and he was tugged to his feet and turned around. It was Snape, whose face had the relatively blank, slack look that signalled the use of Occlumency. It suddenly occurred to Harry that the punishment he’d just endured might have been so Snape could also have a minute to get control of himself and calm down, too.

 

“Well? I assume you have your reasons?”

 

“Er - yeah.” Harry stared at the floor, feeling embarrassed and ashamed.

 

“Look at me when I’m speaking to you, please.”

 

Harry reluctantly lifted his gaze to meet Snape’s eyes, feeling very uncomfortable. Snape raised his eyebrows. “Reasons?”

 

“I shouldn’t have gone because of Black,” Harry muttered.

 

“And?”

 

This was the worst. Harry sighed, feeling more and more embarrassed with every passing second. He felt like a scolded child.

 

“Because you told me not to, and I should have done as you said,” Harry muttered. "And because none of the professors knew where I was, which is bad. Um… oh, and because of the Dementors, since I have a bad reaction to them and all. I’m really sorry, sir. I… I know it was stupid.”

 

“You need to think before you act,” Snape said sternly. “And you need to treat your health and life with the care it merits, Harry. Sirius Black is a very dangerous man.

 

“I know,” Harry said, wrapping his arms around himself. The guilt was gnawing at the insides, to the point where he felt like he had a horrible stomach ache.

 

“Since I can’t trust you to behave yourself, you’re not to leave my sight for the foreseeable future,” Snape said. “If you’re going to act like a heedless child when unsupervised, then I don’t want you off on your own. You’re confined to these quarters for the remainder of the Christmas holidays unless I am around to accompany you out, and while you’re inside you will complete whatever tasks I assign to you in my laboratory.”

 

Harry winced. He was probably going to be gutting Flobberworms and getting lectured well into January, then… and not leaving Snape’s sight? What a nightmare!

 

Snape noticed his reaction and scowled. “You ought to consider yourself very lucky that’s all you’re dealing with - I’d have sent any other student directly to the Headmaster for breaking the school rules so flagrantly!”

 

“Sorry,” Harry said miserably. The note of disappointment in Snape’s voice was making him feel far more awful than any amount of anger could.

 

“You ought to be,” Snape said sternly. “Because of all this, I am also going to confiscate your Invisibility Cloak.”

 

A surge of anger rose in Harry. “What? No! You can’t do that!”

 

Snape’s eyes flashed. “I can, and I will. I knew it was a bad idea from the start to allow you to keep it after you used it to run away in August, and this shows that you obviously cannot be trusted to use it appropriately -”

 

“It’s all I have of my dad!” Harry shouted. “I don’t have anything else, you can’t take it away from me!”

 

Snape paused for a moment, a clear conflict of emotions flitting over his face. After several moments, he tightly nodded to himself. “Then I will keep it in my room and show you where it is, so you can come and see it as you please if it’s genuinely that important to you. Do not abuse that privilege and steal it away to use, or I will take it away and put it somewhere you won’t find until you’re of age. Do you understand?”

 

Harry nodded vigorously. That was a far better compromise than he’d been expecting. It did mean he couldn’t sneak out of Snape’s quarters at night if the urge struck him, but at least he wasn’t losing the only bit of James Potter he had this way…

 

Snape suddenly reached out a hand and placed it on Harry’s shoulder. His face turned from stern to sympathetic. “I… I regret that you had to find out about Black this way.”

 

Harry swallowed, and nodded.

 

“I simply wished to protect you, Harry,” Snape said quietly. “I was concerned you might react - well…”

 

Exactly like I did, Harry thought with a grimace. He sort of wanted to stay angry at Snape, but couldn’t manage it properly. As much as Harry hated being lied to, he thought he sort of lost the right to be cross when he’d reacted so explosively to the truth, which was exactly what Snape must have been worried about. And, in a way, it was sort of nice to have someone worry about preserving his feelings. Harry had never experienced that before.

 

“And you’re not going to do anything stupid with this newfound knowledge, are you?” Snape squeezed Harry’s shoulder sharply, his fingers digging in. A warning.

 

Harry bit his lip and looked away, not wanting to lie. Snape seized his jaw and pulled Harry’s face up so he was forced to look into the man’s eyes. “Harry. Answer me.”

 

“Azkaban isn’t a punishment for him.” Harry jutted his chin out. “I heard Fudge talking. He doesn’t get affected by the Dementors like normal people do - he doesn’t have to hear her -”

 

“Black is not worth dying for, and let me be clear - if he finds you, he will kill you easily,” Snape said bluntly. “Promise me that you’re not going to go after him, Harry. No matter how angry you are, no matter how entitled you are to revenge, do not take matters into your own hands. Give me your word.”

 

Harry almost refused on principle, but Snape’s face looked oddly pained, and so worried, and as annoyed as Harry still was with the man, he hated that. He didn’t want Snape to worry about him…

 

“I promise,” he said reluctantly.

 

“I trust you,” Snape said, finally dropping his hand. “Do not break my trust once again, or I will be sorely disappointed.”

 

He began to walk through to his quarters without another word, and Harry followed, scowling. Trust Snape to whip out the emotional blackmail…

 

Snape quickly made his way through the living room and into his bedroom, where Harry had never been before. It was a fair bit larger than Harry’s bedroom, and filled with bookshelves and a few intricate-looking tapestries. Snape led Harry to his wardrobe and opened it. It was filled with at least a dozen pairs of black robes, to Harry’s amusement.

 

Snape took the Invisibility Cloak out, folded it deftly and placed it on the top shelf of his wardrobe. “You can come and get it as you wish, but keep it in this room. I will be checking.”

 

“Since when am I allowed in here?”

 

“I see no issue with it, unless you take it upon yourself to rifle through my drawers.”

 

Harry was now very curious as to what Snape kept in his drawers, but nodded his agreement not to anyway.

 

“We’ll eat dinner down here tonight, since you’re grounded to my quarters,” Snape said.

 

Harry sighed. He’d really wanted to go to the Great Hall and see his friends after running off like that - they were probably really worried about him. It was the last day before the holidays, too! He wasn’t going to get to tell them goodbye! Still, considering how much trouble he was in, Harry didn’t dare ask Snape if he could seek Ron and Hermione out. He supposed he could always write to them…

 

Except he couldn’t get to the Owlery. Harry grimaced.

 

He made to go out of the door, but Snape remained in the way. He looked hesitant.

 

“Sir?”

 

Snape watched him closely for several moments. “Harry, if I ever encounter Black… I will make sure he is punished. Personally.”

 

Harry couldn’t resist a shudder. Snape’s eyes had gone dark and furious, filled with a dangerous sort of fire that Harry instinctively shied away from. No disobeyed rule or cheeky remark could ever make Snape look this angry, Harry thought. There was only one way to describe his expression: murderous.

 

And in that moment, Harry knew that if Snape ever found Black, he’d kill him.

 

Harry didn’t know if he wanted Black dead, precisely - he didn’t know what he wanted, really. All he wanted was something, some sort of proper punishment. He might not be able to get justice for himself, but if Snape did it for Harry…

 

“I promise you, I will avenge her. Them.” Snape’s face grew pained. “Do not place the burden of murder on your own conscience.”

 

“What about your conscience?”

 

“Do not feel the need to concern yourself with such things.” Snape looked away from Harry, who found his eyes darting down to Snape’s left forearm. Always kept hidden. Bearing the Dark Mark.

 

Severus was a Death Eater. Draco’s words from last month echoed in Harry’s mind. He knows how to fight dirty, the same way Black would. He’s more willing to cross some moral lines.

 

Harry found himself suddenly wondering just what Snape had done as a Death Eater, while the other part of him instinctively shied away from such questions. He knew the answers would disturb him greatly, and that scared Harry. He didn’t want to taint his image of Snape - he didn’t know if he could bear it.

 

“I really do hate him,” Harry said again, hugging himself with his arms. “How could a person betray their friend like that?”

 

A look of dark and twisted pain crossed Snape’s face. He pressed his lips together and stared at the wall, not responding to Harry’s question. Something about his reaction felt off, but Harry couldn’t put a finger on why. Well, it wasn’t like there was an answer to why people did such things…

 

“Er - I’m gonna go change,” Harry said, gesturing to himself. His clothes were damp and cold, soaked with half-melted snow.

 

Snape shook himself, and his face lost some tension. “Wise - you must be freezing. Door open once you’re done, please.”

 

Harry wrinkled his nose. “Come on, why? What, do you think I’m going to tunnel through the wall to Hogsmeade or something?”

 

“Harry, you have quite frankly destroyed any modicum of trust I had in you, so I cannot possibly fathom what you’ll do unsupervised,” Snape said icily. “And seeing as you just lost a fist fight with my office wall, you’ll forgive me for being the slightest bit worried about what unhealthy coping mechanisms you will choose to employ next. It is abundantly clear that I need to keep an eye on you right now.”

 

Harry felt something in his chest twinge painfully, and the shame rose again, hot and choking. Snape couldn't trust him. That made Harry feel a million times worse than any shouting match could…

 

“If you behave with the impulse control of a toddler, then I will treat you like one,” Snape said coolly. “Independence is a privilege, one which you have lost today. I’m very disappointed in you, Harry.”

 

He would have preferred it if Snape struck him. The words stung worse than any slap, that much was certain. Harry hugged his midsection and stared at the floor.

 

“I - I really am sorry,” he said softly. “Honest. I didn’t mean - I just… I feel so left out when everyone gets to go and I don’t.”

 

“And I understand that must be unpleasant, but it’s just not safe,” Snape stressed. “He broke into the castle barely a month ago, Harry; we know he’s in the area, and we know he’s after you. I also know that you understand exactly why I’ve put these rules in place, so you don’t get to disobey me just because you don’t like them.”

 

“It's not fair,” Harry muttered.

 

“Life isn't fair,” Snape said bluntly. “Believe me, I would also prefer it if a homicidal maniac wasn’t after you, but as this is the situation we find ourselves in, I must act accordingly. That includes implementing consequences for you disobeying me, as much as you may dislike it.”

 

“I'm sorry.” Harry didn't know what else to say. He squeezed his eyes shut - they were prickling with a horrid dampness, and he didn’t want Snape to see.

 

Snape sighed. “I know you are. Go and change now, before you catch your death.”

 

Harry nodded and took himself off to his room, where he quickly changed into non-snowy clothes. He reluctantly opened the door a smidge, then scowled as it flew open fully. Snape really meant it when he said he wanted Harry under constant supervision, apparently.

 

  I’m very disappointed in you.

 

Harry, struggling very hard against the dark thoughts at the edge of his mind that were telling him Snape hated him forever now, sat cross-legged on the floor and took out his photo album. He flicked through the pictures of his smiling parents, before coming to a halt at the one of their wedding day. The laughing man with chin-length black hair and smiling eyes at last had a name. Sirius Black.

 

Hatred rose in Harry, hot and choking. Had Black been working for You-Know-Who even here? Had he stood at James’ side at the wedding knowing he was going to betray his best friends? If he hadn’t, what had changed? What made him go bad?

 

He stared at the photo for a very long time, almost entranced. He was so occupied with his own thoughts that he didn’t notice Draco had walked in until the other boy was practically on top of him.

 

“You’re in trouble, aren’t you?”

 

Harry scowled at his unbearably smug tone. “Snape told you?”

 

Draco shrugged. “I put it together. Granger and Weasley kept following me around and asking if I’d seen you on the way back to the castle, Severus had his angry face on when I got down here, and you look miserable. What did you do?”

 

“Snuck into Hogsmeade,” Harry admitted reluctantly.

 

Draco looked a mixture of horrified and thrilled. "Merlin's beard, you have balls!"

 

"It was stupid," Harry muttered, setting the photo album to one side and wrapping his arms around his knees. "I'm in so much trouble…”

 

Draco's excited expression faded, to be replaced by a look of worry. His eyes flicked to the open album. "Those are your parents?"

 

"Yeah."

 

Draco padded through the room and settled down at the foot of his bed next to Harry. He looked at the wedding photo closely. "They look happy."

 

"Yeah." Harry stared at his knees, feeling thoroughly miserable. "And see their best man? Sirius bloody Black. Apparently, he sold them out to Voldemort, which no one bothered to tell me…"

 

A strange flurry of emotions flitted across Draco's face. He bit his lip anxiously, but didn't look nearly as surprised as Harry would have expected. He stared at Draco suspiciously, and several things abruptly fell into place.

 

"You knew, didn't you?"

 

Draco hesitated, then reluctantly nodded. A rush of outrage struck Harry.

 

“And you didn’t tell me?!” he said angrily. “What sort of friend are you? I had a right to know!”

 

“I couldn’t!”

 

“Why?” Harry demanded. “I would have told you if we were in the same position! How could you lie to me like that?!”

 

“I didn’t tell you because Severus forced me to keep it secret!” Draco said, voice pained. “He told me you might go after Black if you found out, and it would be my responsibility for telling you!”

 

“Oh.” Harry winced, some of his anger dying away. Draco looked incredibly anxious.

 

“You aren’t going to try and find him, right?” he whispered.

 

Harry shook his head. “Snape made me promise not to.”

 

Draco sighed. "Good."

 

Harry stayed silent for several moments, then finally admitted it. "I still wish I could make Black pay for what he did myself. Azkaban isn't a proper punishment - the Dementors don't even affect him, you know. He sits in his cell and does the bloody crossword! He should be punished properly, and I wish I could do it."

 

Harry could hear what Ron and Hermione would say to him in response to that. It's a bad idea, Black is too dangerous, don't do it…

 

Draco said none of these things. He stared at Harry and said, "I'd want to do the same thing. You deserve revenge, after what he did to you."

 

Harry didn't quite think that smiling was the appropriate response to a consensus on vengeance, but he did it anyway. It felt good to be understood.

 

"Just please don't go out of your way to hunt him down or something, Harry," Draco pleaded. "He's a maniac. I… I don't want anything to happen to you."

 

Something twisted in Harry's chest. "I won't do anything stupid. Snape would kill me if Black didn't manage it first, after all."

 

"Right."

 

Harry sighed and sat back against the bed, running a finger over his parents' faces. "How'd you find out, anyway? Did Snape tell you?"

 

Harry couldn't help the rapidly rising feeling of bitterness that accompanied his statement. He didn't like the idea of Snape telling Draco things about Harry's life that Harry himself didn't know… it really bothered him for some reason.

 

"No. I was researching my father and what he did in the war in some old papers from the library, and Black ended up as a footnote a fair few times, considering our unfortunate relation," Draco explained. "Quite a few of them mentioned him betraying your parents, which is when I went to Severus and he forced me to keep quiet. I didn't know about the godfather thing, though. That's pretty rubbish."

 

"Yeah…"

 

Draco stared at Harry for a long moment. “You have a really shit time of things, you know that?”

 

Harry grimaced. “Believe me, I know.”

 

Draco hesitated for a moment, then reached out a hand and squeezed Harry's shoulder. Somehow, that little gesture helped him feel the tiniest bit better.

 

“Draco?” Snape called through the quarters. “A word?”

 

“I’ll be back," Draco said.

 

“You don’t have to -”

 

“I’ll be back,” he said firmly, getting to his feet and retreating from the room. He and Snape began to have a quiet, murmured conversation that Harry probably could have listened in on if he bothered to pay attention. He was too preoccupied with maudlin thoughts of his parents and the process of repeatedly flipping through the album…

 

When Draco returned to the room at last, his demeanour had completely changed. His eyes were wide, his face was ashen, and he was holding onto a piece of parchment with slightly shaky hands.

 

Harry shut the album and placed it to one side, alarmed. Draco looked so grim that Harry immediately thought someone must have died. “What’s wrong? What happened?”

 

Draco didn’t reply. He took a seat next to Harry and passed him the letter without a word. Harry looked down at the elegant, curling calligraphy that filled the page. Curious as to what could have invoked such a reaction in Draco, he began to read.

 

  Dear Draco,

 

  I hope you are well, and that your studies at Hogwarts are proceeding nicely. While we have never formally met, I would like to introduce myself - I am Andromeda Tonks, your mother’s sister and your aunt. 

 

  As you are in all likelihood aware, Narcissa and I have not communicated with much frequency over the last decade. Despite this, I would be delighted to have an opportunity to become properly acquainted with you, if you are willing. I shall be in London on December the twentieth, so if you are available and have the permission of your guardian, it would be my pleasure to meet you in Toffit’s Tearoom at ten o’clock to chat.

 

  I hope you have a pleasant Christmas holiday, and cordially anticipate your reply.

 

  Yours sincerely,

 

  Andromeda Tonks

To be continued...
Lessons within Lessons by aspionage

“So Andromeda Tonks - this is your aunt,” Harry said slowly. “The one that you’ve never spoken to?”

 

“Indeed she is,” Draco said in a hoarse voice.

 

“Er - do you mind me asking what happened?” Harry asked hesitantly. “You’ve never really said specifically…”

 

“Of course.” Draco shook himself. “She’s a blood traitor. She ran off to marry a Muggleborn and brought shame on the whole Black family name.”

 

That’s it? Harry wisely didn’t voice this thought. That would be a big deal to someone like Narcissa Malfoy, obviously…

 

“So, are you going to see her?” Harry asked.

 

“I don’t know!” Draco said, running his hands over his face. “I don’t know what to do. Mother never spoke to her, or even about her, but sometimes Mother told me childhood stories - I think she always preferred Andromeda to Aunt Bella, but of course she could never say such things bluntly, especially in front of Father…”

 

Harry nodded along, doing his best to make sense of Draco’s ramblings. It was rather difficult, given that he’d never met half of these people.

 

“I have no family left apart from her!” Draco’s face was pained. “And - well, I don’t particularly care about the blood traitor thing anymore, but the act of eloping alone would bring shame to the Blacks, but what choice would she have with their beliefs? And is it a betrayal of my mother to try and reconnect with someone who she refuses to have any sort of contact with? Does it make me a bad son?”

 

“It does not.” Harry looked up and saw that Snape had materialised in his doorway. “Do not concern yourself with what Narcissa and Lucius would think, Draco. This is between you and your aunt - the choice to forge a connection with her is yours alone.”

 

Draco chewed on his lip and didn’t answer immediately. Harry tentatively reached out a hand and squeezed Draco’s shoulder while Snape took a seat at Harry’s desk, watching the two of them closely. His expression was carefully cleared.

 

“Her daughter’s nice,” Draco said abruptly. “I met her the day my parents got arrested. I didn’t catch a first name, though; she just went by Tonks. She snuck my mother’s necklace out of her holding cell to me. It was kind of her…”

 

“That is pretty nice,” Harry agreed.

 

“If her daughter’s nice, she probably is too,” Draco said, mainly to himself. “But what if - oh, I just don’t know! I’ve never spoken to her before! What if it’s awkward? What if she hates me?”

 

“If she hated you, she wouldn’t have written you a letter asking you out for tea,” Harry pointed out. Snape nodded his agreement.

 

“But what if I say something bad?” Draco asked anxiously. “I might say something anti-Muggle or Muggleborn, and she’s obviously not going to like that, given her connections!”

 

“I highly doubt Andromeda will engage you in a discussion about blood purity on your first meeting,” Snape said, raising an eyebrow. “She is also certainly aware of the way you were raised - a minor faux pas will not irreparably offend her.”

 

Draco nodded absentmindedly, his eyes darting back and forth as he reread the letter. After a few moments of silence, he glanced over to Snape, still sitting at the desk. “What do you think I should do?”

 

“This choice cannot be made for you,” he said. “This is your family, and your decision.”

 

“But you think I should go and meet her, don’t you?” Draco said. “I can tell you do.”

 

Snape paused for a moment, then nodded. “I’ve spoken with and written to Andromeda several times since your parents’ arrests, and found her to be a pleasant woman. I see no reason for you not to see her.”

 

Draco nodded and turned to Harry. “What about you?”

 

He hesitated for a moment, surprised that Draco would even ask him. After considering the matter, Harry nodded firmly. “Look, if I had an aunt I didn’t know about that reached out to me, I reckon I’d go for it. Besides, it’s just one meeting. If she’s really horrible, you can just not talk to her again.”

 

“Good point,” Draco said slowly. “I… I think I’d like to try. I can go, can’t I, Severus?”

 

“Of course.” Snape frowned. “I would never keep you from your family, Draco. At any rate, I was intending to make a trip into Diagon Alley to do some Christmas shopping.”

 

“And you’ll both come?” Draco looked over at Harry a little desperately, and he winced. He was certain Snape wouldn’t let him out of these quarters anytime soon after everything that had happened…

 

But to Harry’s shock, Snape nodded his assent. “We will both accompany you.”

 

“Wait, really?” Harry said.

 

“I can’t think of any mischief you’d manage to find under my strict supervision,” Snape pointed out. “One outing will be fine.”

 

“Thank you.” Draco looked at them both gratefully. “I’m going to write her back, then. I need some time to think on what exactly I should say…”

 

He withdrew from Harry’s bedroom, muttering to himself. Snape also left without a word, and Harry was left alone to muse over his photo album again, lost in thought. Jealousy was coursing through his bloodstream like burning poison. It wasn’t fair that Draco had an aunt who actually cared about him and wanted to get to know him. Why didn’t Harry have any relatives who wanted that?

 

Don’t be an arse, Harry told himself furiously. You should be happy for him. 

 

And Harry was, but that didn’t help prevent the bitter tang of envy tainting it all.

 


 

After the letter, the mood in Snape’s quarters became downright depressing. Harry spent the remainder of the day lying on his rug and staring at his photo album dejectedly, only surfacing for a painfully quiet dinner with Snape and Draco. He had elected to stay with them instead of going to the Great Hall to eat. Harry, who still felt ashamed, and upset, and angry, swirled his fork through his mashed potatoes until Snape forced Harry to drink yet another Calming Draught to settle his stomach. That coupled with the one from earlier meant that Harry ended up numb to everything, except for the general feeling of grumpiness hanging over him like a raincloud. He ended up going to bed early to avoid everyone, but could only sleep fitfully.

 

When Snape roused him the following morning, Harry’s eyes felt horribly heavy from a lack of proper rest. He reluctantly ate his cereal, not wanting to be forced to drink yet another potion, all while Snape watched him closely.

 

"Miss Granger and Mr Weasley send their regards."

 

Harry dropped his spoon in shock. "What? When did you see them?"

 

"They showed up at my office shortly before you awoke," Snape said. "They were rather concerned about your wellbeing."

 

"You could've gotten me," Harry complained.

 

Snape's eyebrows rose. "I wonder why I didn't fetch you, Harry. Could it have something to do with the reason you're grounded to my quarters for the entirety of the Christmas holidays? Is there honestly any reason you deserve to see your friends at this current moment?"

 

Harry winced and returned to his cornflakes, doing his best to look contrite and apologetic.

 

After a few moments, Snape relented slightly. “I did reassure them that you were fine. Now, once you’ve finished eating, fetch your potions kit. We'll be spending the majority of the morning brewing."

 

Harry grimaced. Snape was surely going to force him to prepare a wide variety of disgusting ingredients, then…

 

But when he entered the laboratory in Snape’s quarters, Harry was surprised to see an extra cauldron set up to the side of the room. He stared at it for a moment, then looked back at Snape. “What’s this?”

 

“A cauldron.” Snape shook his head. “I’d have hoped you would be familiar with the device following two and a half years of Potions instruction, but I suppose I shouldn’t continue to be surprised by your ineptitude…”

 

“But what’s it doing here?”

 

“You’re in a laboratory, Harry. Where else would it be?” He rolled his eyes. “We will be brewing today, as I informed you. Take a seat.”

 

Harry sat down at the workbench the cauldron was set up next to, feeling slightly confused. “Er - why are we brewing? Isn’t there something horrid you want me to chop up?”

 

“I have been doing some thinking, and decided that we might as well use this time constructively to improve your Potions skills,” Snape explained, heading over to a small cupboard at the back of the room.

 

“So it’s basically Remedial Potions?” Harry complained, wrinkling his nose. “But I swear my marks improved this year!”

 

“They still leave something to be desired - if you have a Potions Master for a guardian, there is no reason not to take advantage of that,” Snape said, rummaging through the storage cupboard. Several jars of ingredients flew out and landed on the desk next to Harry. “I expect sme level of academic success from you, Harry. I know you’re capable of great things, with a little push in the right direction.”

 

Harry wasn’t entirely sure how to feel about that. The Dursleys hadn’t cared about academic success of any kind from either Dudley or Harry - when Dudley inevitably failed all of his subjects, Uncle Vernon would simply declare how he didn’t want a swotty nancy boy for a son anyway, while Aunt Petunia bought him some sort of game or toy as a reward no matter how bad his marks were. Harry, meanwhile, had always been average at best in school, since it was nearly impossible to do any homework after his mountain of chores were complete, in the dim light of his cupboard. Besides, Aunt Petunia always binned his school reports without actually reading them. Harry, who had been told he was useless long enough for it to start ringing true, didn’t see the point of trying in school when no one cared how he did, and when he was doomed to fail anyway.

 

But Snape wasn’t like that. Snape wanted - even expected - Harry to be successful. It did make him feel a little nervous, since Harry wasn’t used to any kind of standards, but not much. Harry was too happy that someone cared at all to worry too much about the expectations that came with being someone’s ward.

 

“Consider this exercise killing two birds with one stone,” Snape said. “I am perfectly aware of your dislike for my subject, but I still want you to succeed at it. Therefore, I think this is the ideal punishment, hmm? Now, you will be redoing the Dizziness Draught you attempted for the end of term exam.”

 

Harry grimaced. He remembered that exam - his potion had ended up a dirty yellow instead of the brilliant crimson it was supposed to be. Snape’s expression had been absolutely grim that day…

 

He slid a textbook onto Harry’s desk and flicked his wand at it. The book fell open to the corresponding page of instructions. “Your potion, as I assume you are aware, was dismally ineffective. Can you identify where in the process you went wrong?”

 

Harry, who had completed that test almost a week ago and couldn’t entirely remember what he’d even done, was completely stuck. He stared at the ingredients for several minutes, hoping they’d reveal some hidden secret he’d missed, before finally admitting defeat. “I swear I put all of this in! I can’t work it out!”

 

“Brew it again, then.” Snape gestured to the jars on Harry’s desk, which he suddenly realised were the ingredients for a Dizziness Draught. “Begin.”

 

Harry frowned. “Aren’t you going to tell me where I went wrong last time?”

 

“No,” Snape said, heading over to a cauldron and workbench of his own. “Figure it out.”

 

Harry groaned but began to prepare his ingredients while Snape started chopping things of his own. Harry was almost certain the man was still watching him closely, though, even if his attention appeared to be elsewhere. Harry was frequently checking his textbook to make sure he had all of the correct ingredients, and he sometimes noticed Snape’s unwavering gaze focused solely on him. It was slightly unnerving, but Harry did his best to ignore it.

 

Halfway through the process, when Harry had nothing to do except wait for his potion to finish simmering and hope for the best, he turned to Snape with a frown. “Sir?”

 

“Mmm?” Snape didn’t look up from the cauldron, forehead furrowed with concentration.

 

“About Draco’s aunt,” Harry said hesitantly, daring to ask the question he’d been wondering since last night. “Do you know if it’s going to be okay when he meets with her?”

 

“If it went catastrophically, I would be very surprised,” Snape replied, sliding some sort of powdered root into his cauldron. He stirred it twice and finally looked up at Harry. “Andromeda is a very pleasant woman, and she is perfectly aware of the way Draco was raised as she was brought up similarly. They’ll get along with time, I believe.”

 

“Do you know her, sir?” Harry asked.

 

“Not well, but I have had occasion to meet with her since becoming Draco’s guardian,” Snape explained. “She tried to take him in after the Malfoys were arrested, but Narcissa had specifically stipulated that wasn’t to happen, which is how he ended up with me instead of with a blood relative. Still, she wants to be a presence in Draco’s life. Andromeda and I have been in correspondence for several months - she’d wanted to reach out sooner, but I suggested she wait until his new situation had settled before involving herself.”

 

“That’ll be nice for him.” Harry looked sadly into his bubbling cauldron. What he’d do for an aunt who actually bothered to get to know him…

 

“May I make a request?” Snape said abruptly.

 

“Hmm?” Harry looked up again.

 

“Will you at last cease with the constant honorifics and simply call me Severus?” Snape asked. “I am your guardian, you know. We don’t need to observe such stringent formalities. Being constantly referred to as ‘sir’ in my own quarters makes me feel like nothing more than a professor.”

 

“Oh. Um, okay.” Harry shifted in place, surprised by the request. “What if I slip up in class, though?”

 

“I doubt you will, but if you do, I’ll make a great show of things and give you a fake detention,” Snape said, waving a hand dismissively. “Will you at least give it a go?”

 

Harry nodded. “Okay, er - Severus.”

 

He returned to his potion, feeling slightly awkward. As he stared into the bubbling cauldron, Harry suddenly realised that saying Severus didn’t feel as horribly unnatural as it had back in August, when Snape had originally said they could switch to first names. At the time, the idea of calling Snape by his first name had been absolutely horrifying, and Harry felt like he could get in trouble at any moment for it. Now, though? Harry felt a lot more comfortable with Snape in general, so it wasn’t as weird anymore. It was like the man said; he was Harry’s guardian, not just his professor. Maybe Harry needed to remember that.

 

Moments later, disaster struck. Instead of turning to the crimson he was supposed to have, the potion returned back to the dirty yellow of his final exam. Harry groaned. “I swear I put all the ingredients in right! I triple checked, and everything, I’m sure I did that properly!”

 

“I can confirm that you did.” Snape vanished the contents of Harry’s cauldron. “Try again.”

 

“But I don’t know where I’m going wrong!” Harry complained. “Why won’t you just tell me?”

 

“Because I am trying to teach you critical thinking as well as Potions.” Snape gestured to the cauldron. “As I said, you put the correct ingredients in. Use that, work out where else you might have gone wrong, and do it over again.”

 

Harry muttered irritably under his breath and glowered at the ingredients. “Maybe the cauldron hates me?”

 

“It’s an inanimate object.”

 

“I knew that,” Harry grumbled, shooting a glare at Snape before returning to the ingredients. He had to give it to Snape - this was an ingenious punishment. Very teacher-y, to make Harry do something he hated over and over while simultaneously making him learn some sort of lesson…

 

He sighed and stared at the textbook. What else could possibly be going wrong if Harry had put all of the correct ingredients in? Maybe it was the way he was preparing the ingredients or something? Harry knew he could sometimes be a bit sloppy with his slicing and dicing, but that was mostly when he was under time pressure - he was going to be stuck brewing the stupid Dizziness Draught until January if Snape had his way, so Harry might as well redo it with careful attention to how he prepared the ingredients…

 

But another hour later, the Dizziness Draught wasn’t red. While the shade of yellow it had turned was a tiny bit brighter, Harry didn’t think his ingredient preparation was the issue here…

 

“What’s the problem, then?” Harry asked, turning back to Snape.

 

“Figure it out.” He vanished the contents of the cauldron. “Again.”

 

“Please, just tell me!” Harry said, slumping forwards and leaning his head against the workbench. “This is so frustrating!”

 

“Use a process of elimination,” Snape said. “Rule out the things you know haven’t interfered with the potion, and eventually you’ll discover the issue.”

 

“I don’t want to wait for eventually, though!” Harry complained. “This is torture!”

 

“You know, patience is a virtue, and it is one you certainly do not possess in any quantity,” Snape said, raising his eyebrows. “The reason behind this so-called torture is because your behaviour yesterday has shown me that you completely lack the ability to sit and reflect on cause and effect. I am going to correct that, as much as you may dislike the process, and I believe this lesson will help immensely. Start brewing again.”

 

Harry wasn’t entirely sure how Potions, of all things, was supposed to teach him to be less impulsive, but he certainly wasn’t happy about it. Still, he clearly wasn’t getting out of this until he figured out where he could be going wrong…

 

So it wasn’t the ingredients he was putting in, and it wasn’t the way he was preparing them… what else could be involved that Harry was screwing up? Could he be putting them in the cauldron in the wrong order?

 

One ruined potion later confirmed that he was not. Perhaps it was the amount of time he left it on the heat?

 

Nope.

 

Harry was onto his fifth Dizziness Draught when the problem at last dawned on him. “I’m stirring it wrong, aren’t I?”

 

“If I was going to tell you, I would have done so earlier,” Snape said, not even bothering to look up from his cauldron.

 

Still, Harry just knew he was onto something. He was sure he was doing the prescribed five counterclockwise and ten clockwise stirs - he’d counted them enough bloody times over the last few hours to be certain - so Harry thought it had to be a timing thing. He stirred his cauldron carefully and attentively, taking great care to keep his stirs even and precise and to count things down to the exact second. Harry could have cried with relief when his potion at last turned the deep crimson required.

 

Snape came to the side of his desk and nodded approvingly. “You worked it out. Well done, Harry.”

 

Harry actually found himself smiling, something he didn’t think he’d ever done in a Potions lesson before. Solving the problem after so many hours of struggling was immensely satisfying, and Harry felt rather proud of himself.

 

“We’ve been at this for several hours - let’s break for lunch,” Snape said.

 

As they travelled out of the laboratory and into the kitchen, where food was already waiting for them on the table, Snape turned to Harry with a thoughtful look on his face. “I have some notes on your general stirring technique.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“You tend to stir too quickly or unevenly,” Snape said, pulling out his chair at the kitchen table and taking a seat. “You more or less corrected it on that last attempt, but even then you were slightly too hasty. A more delicate potion wouldn't respond well to that.”

 

“Oh.” Harry sat down opposite as Draco wandered into the room. His hair was mussed, like he’d only just woken up recently - he’d clearly had a lie in today. “I guess I’ve kind of noticed that, because Hermione always finishes stirring after me. I sort of lose track while I’m doing it. I don’t know how to keep it in time like she does.”

 

Snape’s expression turned rather wistful. “You know, your mother had the same issue.”

 

Harry’s eyes widened. “But I thought you said she was brilliant at Potions!”

 

“She was,” Snape said. “Lily had ways around it - helpful methods to maintain appropriate rhythm. I use her technique myself for trickier potions, to help me keep track of the seconds.”

 

“What methods?” he asked eagerly. “Can I use them, too?”

 

“Yes. Lily used to hum,” Snape said. “‘Waterloo’ was her preferred song…”

 

After mulling over that nugget of information, Harry had an abrupt realisation. “Wait - you just said you use her methods. You’re not humming ABBA while you brew stuff, are you?”

 

Snape scowled at his food but didn’t deny it. Harry grinned, delighted. “Oh my God, that’s amazing!”

 

“Pull yourself together,” Snape snapped. Harry didn’t let the man’s ire put him off.

 

“But you’re so…you!” he exclaimed, gesturing to Snape rather giddily. “And you listen to ABBA!”

 

“I do not choose to listen to them!” he said exasperatedly. “Everyone knows them, Potter!”

 

“I doubt that,” Harry laughed. “Hey, Draco. Do you know who ABBA are?”

 

Draco, who had spent the entire conversation looking quite confused, slowly shook his head. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

 

“See?” Harry smirked. “You had to try to know them.”

 

“Are you forgetting that I’m a half-blood?” Snape inquired icily. “Do you not think I’d have more reason to be exposed to Muggle music than Draco would be?”

 

Harry scoffed. “Yeah, but it’s not like you spent much time dancing to music in Muggle nightclubs, is it?”

 

Snape didn’t bother to look at him. “There were a few occasions.”

 

Harry began to choke on his food. He honestly couldn’t tell if Snape was having him on or not.

 

“Do make an effort to actually chew your lunch, please.” Snape looked remarkably unimpressed as Harry hit a hand against his chest and gasped for air. “Honestly…"

 

“I’m going to listen out for you humming the next time you teach me Potions,” Harry announced once he’d recovered himself.

 

Snape scowled at him furiously and stabbed his fork into his food with a vengeance.

 


 

Harry had been expecting his Potions punishment to continue that afternoon. Instead of taking him back to the laboratory, though, Snape actually led Harry into his office. Strange - maybe he wanted Harry to do lines, or something?

 

Snape sat down at his desk, and gestured for Harry to take a seat directly opposite. He did so slightly nervously, while Snape examined him with an exacting gaze.

 

“I think this afternoon would be a good time to begin your Occlumency lessons,” he said, lacing his fingers together.

 

“Wait, really?” Harry said. “Even though I’m in trouble?”

 

“I did promise you in November that I’d begin your lessons during the Christmas break,” Snape reminded him. “Your behaviour does not change that.”

 

“Oh.” Harry had sort of expected it to change everything, in all honesty. He kept finding himself surprised by how normal Snape was being with him today, even though Harry was in a ton of trouble. He’d have thought Snape would be absolutely horrid to him until Harry somehow earned back his favour.

 

“We are doing these lessons so you have better coping mechanisms for your emotions, if you’ll remember,” Snape added. “Your reaction to what you discovered about Black yesterday shows me we need to get on with that a lot more urgently than I’d anticipated. I want you to have a better way to deal with extreme emotional upset that doesn’t require constant Calming Draughts - it’s unsustainable.”

 

Harry broke eye contact and stared at the desk, certain his face was bright red. He still felt horribly embarrassed about how spectacularly he’d lost control over Black yesterday, even more so since Snape had seen him like that. It was strange; Harry had to maintain exacting control over his emotions with the Dursleys, and always felt like he was walking on eggshells around Uncle Vernon to avoid setting him off. Whenever he was with Snape, though, Harry found himself increasingly losing more and more of his carefully constructed composure.

 

“Now, let’s begin with what you already know about Occlumency,” Snape prompted.

 

“Er - not a lot,” Harry admitted, trying to remember what Snape had told him about it in November. “I just know it’s the thing that you do when you get really angry. It’s for emotional control, right?”

 

“Yes, and no,” he said. “You’ll have mainly seen it within the context of emotional control, but the primary purpose of Occlumency is to protect oneself from Legilimency - mental attacks from another wizard, that is. In order to do that, however, you need to have careful control over your thoughts, memories and emotions. While I don’t anticipate you being the victim of a slew of Legilimency attacks, the techniques you need for Occlumency are just generally useful when it comes to relaxing your mind in the face of emotional distress.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Now, we’re going to start with the most basic technique - a mindscape,” Snape said. “This is simply a place you feel calm. Picturing it will help you clear your mind of all emotions and other memories.”

 

“What sort of place?” Harry asked.

 

“Do you recall the night I Occluded for you?”

 

He nodded. “It felt like I was on an ocean or something, floating around.”

 

“That was because I brought you into my mindscape, a place I feel calmest,” Snape said. “And for me, that is a beach. The specific beach is a place I visited when I was young for a holiday, which is one of my happier memories. It has a calming influence on me, and by utilising that tranquillity I can hide my memories and emotions beneath the water from myself and from intruders.”

 

“How does that work?” Harry asked curiously. The knowledge that Snape could hypothetically extract any secrets of Harry’s still set his teeth on edge, so he’d dearly love to be able to properly hide them. He could get away with so much more, then…

 

“That is a slightly more advanced technique you don’t require just yet,” Snape said. Harry slumped back in his seat, disappointed. “We will get to it eventually as it is a rather useful skill, but for now, you are just using Occlumency to control your emotions.”

 

“Okay.” Harry shifted in place. “So, do I think of a beach or something? I’ve never actually been to one, but -”

 

“Then it won’t work,” Snape interrupted, holding up a hand. “Techniques that I use will not work for you, necessarily. It needs to be a place that makes you feel calm, not me. Once you come up with it, you will then recreate it as vividly as possible in your own head. If you’ve never been to a beach, you won’t be able to picture it with the level of detail required for this all to work.”

 

“Er - would you mind if I looked at your mindscape again?” Harry asked tentatively. “Like we did before, if that’s even a thing you can do again. It helps me to figure out how to do stuff if I can see what I’m meant to be doing.”

 

“I should be able to manage that. Try to relax,” Snape said, moving forwards so his dark gaze filled Harry’s vision. He got his wand out of his robe pocket. “I’m going to pull you into my mind, like we did in November, and it’ll be easier if you don’t tense, or fight me. Legilimens.”

 

In moments, Harry felt like his surroundings had melted away. The darkness of the dungeons was replaced by a warm, golden light, and Harry became aware of the sound of hissing. It turned out to be an ocean - blue and powerful, sending a rolling rush of water up the yellow sand to soak Harry’s ankles. His socks and shoes didn’t feel wet at all as the tide receded, though.

 

Harry took in his surroundings and let out a small sigh of happiness. The place was beautiful, like something out of a postcard. Rolling green hills turned into yellow sand, and beyond that stood the blue-green sea, stretching all the way to the cloudless horizon. Harry had never been somewhere that felt so utterly vast.

 

“This is my mindscape.”

 

Harry jumped at the sound of Snape’s voice, which sounded strangely distorted. It almost seemed to reverberate and fill the whole space, which was odd, since the cool breeze tousling Harry’s hair should have chopped his voice and carried it away without any sort of echo.

 

“It’s so pretty,” he said, still marvelling at his surroundings.

 

“I’ve had a lot of practice in maintaining it,” Snape said, taking a step forward. Harry thought his usual black robes seemed a little out of place on a beach, but when Harry tried to picture him in more appropriate gear, like shorts and a floral shirt, the mental image was so horrifying that he immediately needed to banish it.

 

“So, where are we?”

 

“Cornwall,” Snape said. “Your grandparents invited me on their family holiday here when I was thirteen.” He smirked. “Your mother and I put a crab in Petunia’s bed.”

 

Harry laughed. “She must have flipped!”

 

“There was rather a lot of screaming involved, as I recall.” Snape was still smiling to himself. “We denied it vehemently, of course, but she certainly knew we were behind it.”

 

Snape began to walk along the beach, while Harry followed next to him. “Now, typically you would not block off all outside stimuli to enter a mindscape as I have done now, but as a beginner, it can be rather helpful to bring your full presence into the memory to nail down the finer details. With time, you will be able to use the mindscape while concentrating on matters outside of your head. Now, let’s return to the real world.”

 

The beach began to melt away, and the familiar stone walls of Snape’s office replaced it. He himself moved back slightly, and gave Harry a thoughtful look. “Now, think about what sort of place would work for you. Somewhere you find calming.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Harry sat back and thought hard about what sort of place would do. Places he’d felt calm… he didn’t have a place from his childhood he could draw on, really. The best place Harry could think of was the park in Little Whinging, but even that was tainted - Dudley and his gang had found him there way too often for impromptu games of Harry Hunting.

 

The Burrow had always been a source of comfort to Harry, but he wasn’t quite sure if that was right. He couldn’t imagine it with enough detail. Spinner’s End? No that didn’t do it, either. There was an element of anxiety that underlaid Harry’s memories of Cokeworth because of everything he’d been going through while living there, as well as the original hostility between himself, Snape and Draco. It was happier than Little Whinging, certainly, but it still wasn’t calming.

 

Hogwarts seemed right, to a degree, but Harry got the feeling it was too big, somehow. He knew he needed something more precise.

 

In the end, the answer came to him: the Quidditch pitch. He always felt calm and relaxed when flying and training with his team. Flying was better than anything else in the world for him.

 

“You have an idea?” Snape prompted.

 

“Yeah,” Harry said. “The Quidditch pitch, I’m thinking.”

 

“Why doesn’t that surprise me?” Snape looked mildly amused. “Now, onto the Occlumency process. Close your eyes and relax.”

 

Harry obeyed, and wrung his hands in his lap nervously. After a moment, he reopened his eyes. “This feels weird.”

 

“Concentrate,” Snape ordered sharply. Harry squeezed his eyes shut again and tried to relax, but he wasn’t sure what relax meant. Was he particularly tense? How did someone relax, anyway? He couldn’t manage it now he was thinking about it. At any rate, sitting in a silent room with his eyes closed did not relax Harry in the slightest - the opposite, in fact. He liked being able to see what was going on around him, but being trapped within the darkness behind his eyelids left Harry feeling uncomfortably vulnerable to attack.

 

“Focus on your breathing.” Snape’s voice in the silence made Harry jump. “Breathe in as deeply as you can manage, then expel all the breath from your lungs. Count if you must, and keep doing it.”

 

Harry obeyed, focusing on the way his chest felt as it rose and fell. He was concentrating so hard on maintaining a rhythm that he managed to forget some of the weirdness of the situation.

 

“Continue to breathe, but start trying to picture the Quidditch pitch,” Snape instructed. “Imagine any details you can: the colour of the sky, the forest and the mountains in the distance, the sound of the wind through the air, and the feeling of it on your skin. Every detail, remember. Draw on each and every sense.”

 

Harry did so. He painted as vivid of a picture in his mind as possible: the crunch of the grass beneath his feet as he walked, the wind on his face, the towering golden goalposts, the castle and jagged mountain peaks it was nestled upon, Hagrid’s hut expelling a plume of smoke at the edge of the forest… it was almost like he was there.

 

“That’s enough. Open your eyes.”

 

Harry did so, and noticed Snape observing him with satisfaction. “A very good first try.”

 

“Is this all sort of like Muggle meditation?” Harry asked.

 

“In a way, but the Occlumency part is linked to your magic,” Snape explained. “Shielding thoughts and retreating into your mindscape fully requires you to tap into your powers.”

 

“Hmm.” Harry tilted his head. “So now what?”

 

“This is something of a slow process,” Snape said. “We’ll do a lesson every day to reinforce the image of your mindscape, and in a week or so, I’ll try and draw you into it using Legilimency. You will repeat this exercise every night before you go to sleep, in order to build up detail and make this habit.”

 

“Okay, will do.” Harry smiled. “Thanks for helping me with all this.”

 

“There is no need to thank me.”

 

But there was, Harry thought. Thank you didn’t even begin to sum up all of the things Harry wanted to say to his guardian that he couldn't ever quite find the words for.

To be continued...
Tea with Andromeda by aspionage

Even though Harry now spent the majority of his days being tortured with horribly difficult Potions challenges, he found he didn’t mind the new routine of the Christmas holidays that had formed. While brewing with Snape inevitably left Harry with a tension headache by lunch, it was strangely satisfying when he finally managed to work out where in the process his potions were failing.

 

The daily Occlumency lessons were going well, even if they could be a bit boring at times. As much as Harry loved the Quidditch pitch, it could get a little tedious picturing it over and over twice a day, every day. Still, Snape had promised that he’d be able to let Harry advance soon, so that spurred him on.

 

The most rapidly approaching excitement Harry had awaiting him was the trip to Diagon Alley on the twentieth of December. As Harry was quite literally locked up in a dungeon at the moment, he was really looking forward to actually going outside and escaping the confines of Snape’s laboratory. Harry also had a fair bit of Christmas shopping to do once he and Snape left Draco and Andromeda to their own devices.

 

Harry was growing rather curious about Draco’s infamous aunt. What would Andromeda be like? Was she nice? From the tidbits he’d put together, Harry thought she’d led quite an interesting life, running away from Pureblood society in the way she had. Either way, Harry really hoped that she and Draco would get along.

 

Draco spent the night before his meeting with Andromeda on tenterhooks, moving from room to room and snapping at Harry and Snape if they so much as looked at him funny. He’d been in a sullen mood ever since the letter had been delivered, and it was beginning to become unbearable. In the end, Harry admitted defeat and locked himself up in his bedroom early to avoid the constant sniping.

 

Harry was hovering in that fuzzy space of half-sleep when he heard movement. He squinted his eyes open, and saw a golden beam of light slicing through his bedroom - someone had opened the door. Harry's first assumption was that Snape had come in for something, but when he looked more closely, Harry realised that it was actually Draco.

 

“Are you awake?” he whispered.

 

“Sure,” Harry muttered. He was now, at least. “What is it?”

 

“Er - nothing, really…”

 

Harry quickly realised that Draco wouldn't have come knocking if there wasn't something going on, so he stuck an arm out from under the covers and gestured vaguely at the other boy. “Come in, if you want.”

 

Draco quickly complied. He shut the door behind him, plunging both of them into darkness, and plopped himself on Harry's bed. The lack of proper light meant he ended up also sitting directly on top of Harry's legs.

 

“Hey! Watch it!” Harry complained.

 

“Sorry.” Draco shifted slightly, and Harry was able to free himself. He was too tired to come up with any sort of proper conversation, so was content to lie in silence until Draco spoke.

 

“It's tomorrow. I'm seeing her tomorrow.”

 

“Mmhmm.”

 

“I'm scared,” Draco whispered. Harry could just about make out the anxious hunch of his shoulders through the gloom. “All I can think about is everything that might go wrong…”

 

“I bet it's way less than you're expecting,” Harry said, trying his best to sound reassuring. “And anyway, she's your aunt - she's family. It'll be fine.”

 

“But… well, what if she's like your aunt?” Draco said softly.

 

“Unlikely,” Harry said with a small sigh. “You know it’s different. Think about it - your aunt reached out and wrote you a letter asking to meet up. And remember, she wanted to take you in and everything after the stuff with your parents, even if she wasn’t allowed in the end. My aunt always hated me for being dumped on her doorstep, and couldn’t get shot of me quick enough. It’s a completely different situation - Andromeda is nothing like Petunia.”

 

Luckily enough for you, Harry thought bitterly.

 

“I suppose.” Draco lapsed into silence again. Harry felt his eyes begin to drift close…

 

“Mother used to cry over her,” Draco said suddenly. Harry heard him shift - he was lying perpendicular to Harry at the end of the bed, now. “I heard her once. I must have been eight. Andromeda had sent us a Christmas letter that day - she did it every year. And every year, Mother would throw it into the fire. She said she didn't want anything from a filthy blood traitor, and three hours later she's sobbing to my father about how she just wants her sister back. I still don't get it…”

 

“There's nothing to get, I reckon,” Harry said honestly. “Families are weird.”

 

“Got that right.” Draco's breath hitched in his chest. “And here I am, going behind Mother’s back and meeting with Andromeda, knowing how things are between them… I’m a terrible son -”

 

“You can't think like that," Harry interrupted. “If your mum really cares about you, she won't want you alienated from the one blood relative you've got."

 

“I… I suppose, but… I can't come back from this, Harry." Draco's voice was shaking. “If my parents knew I was doing this tomorrow, that’s a massive line I’ve crossed. I don't know if either of them would ever forgive me -  if they'd even want anything to do with me, once they're out of Azkaban. I'll just be another blood traitor to them. This is it - my point of no return.”

 

Harry thought that Narcissa and Lucius were truly ridiculous people, then, if that was all it would take for them to permanently cut off their son. Contacting his own aunt was really that much of a sin? They were just plain stupid, then…

 

Harry also knew that it probably wasn't wise to voice such thoughts to Draco. He stayed silent, trying to gather the right words.

 

“I actually think you went past the point of no return a while ago, Draco,” Harry said softly.

 

Draco made a choked sort of noise. "I think I did, too.” He furiously swiped his hand over his face. “I want to do the right thing from now on, but… but it’s so hard when they’ll never understand.”

 

Harry reached out and squeezed Draco’s shoulder, lost for words. Draco's breathing was harsh and shaky for several minutes, and Harry was sure that if the lights were on, he'd see tears. Finally, he could understand why Draco had spent the last few days being so irritable. This meeting was really weighing on him - not just because he was seeing an aunt who he'd heard nothing but bad things about, but because of everything that meeting represented. By spending time with Andromeda, Draco was truly shaking off the bigoted beliefs his parents held so dearly - beliefs they might even put over their own son. Draco was facing the prospect of losing his parents to more than just Azkaban. It has to be gutting.

 

Draco sniffled, wiped his eyes again and turned to look at Harry.

 

“Even if everything that I'm doing means I lose my blood family… you'll be here?” Draco's voice was thin and vulnerable in a way Harry had never heard it before.

 

"I will be.” Harry knew he needed to say more than that, though. This wasn’t enough. So, he decided to say something he'd never, ever admit in the light of day.

 

"You know… one time, Professor McGonagall said to me that you and I are pretty much stepbrothers now. I think… well, I think she was right about that.” He swallowed, hard. “And I’m glad we are.”

 

“Stepbrothers.” Draco made a humming noise. “I always wanted a sibling, you know.”

 

“Same here. Dudley really didn't count.”

 

“Obviously,” Draco scoffed. When Harry really squinted through the gloom, he thought he could see a smile on the other boy’s face.

 

“Brothers,” Draco said softly. “I like it, too.”

 

Harry smiled, even as a shudder of trepidation rocked through his body, one that he did his best to shove down. Harry hadn’t dared to put any of this into words before tonight - not with Snape, not even with himself, and certainly not with Draco. Brothers were people in a family, and the idea of Harry being linked to Draco and Snape with that sort of tie frightened him unlike anything else. The words made it real.

 

But it was real. Friendship simply didn't cut it when describing Harry and Draco’s relationship. The shared experience of being under Snape's care, coupled with the intense highs and lows of the last few months, the good natured bickering, the shared fun, the things they'd endured side by side… brothers was the only word that fit properly, whether they were related by blood or not.

 

Harry had an inkling that Draco might feel just as frightened by all this as Harry did himself, but it was alright. They were frightened together. That made everything seem the slightest bit more manageable.

 


 

Harry wasn’t sure how long he and Draco stayed in silence together - he fell asleep before the other boy went anywhere, but Draco was gone when Harry woke up the next morning. He’d partially convinced himself the whole thing was a dream, but Draco’s behaviour had changed too drastically for that to be the case. He was far less short with Harry as they headed into breakfast together, at the very least.

 

Still, just because he wasn’t in a particularly foul mood didn’t mean Draco was quite himself yet. He was anxious and withdrawn; Harry didn’t think Draco’s knee stopped bouncing once during breakfast, which he barely touched. Snape watched all of this with a frown, but didn’t comment. Harry, who had put up with months of Snape’s nagging at mealtimes by now, felt slightly resentful that the man wasn’t having a go at Draco for not eating when he was anxious… double standards like that always got on his nerves.

 

“I want to Floo,” Draco said abruptly.

 

Snape frowned. “Draco, I really don’t think that’s a good idea, given -”

 

“I don’t care!” Draco snapped. “I’m not a coward, and I have to just get over it already!”

 

“There is nothing cowardly about a normal emotional response to what you’ve been through,” Snape said sharply. “You’ve got a stressful day ahead of you, so don’t upset yourself before it even starts.”

 

“I’m doing it,” Draco said. He crossed his arms and jutted his chin out, defiant expression unwavering.

 

Snape sighed, and rubbed his temples. “Then you’ll take a Calming Draught before you go through.”

 

Draco scowled. “I don’t need -”

 

“You take a Calming Draught, or we walk out of the grounds so I can Apparate you both to Diagon Alley,” Snape interrupted. “Those are your options, and I will not be argued with.”

 

“Fine!” Draco snapped, shoving his chair back and jumping to his feet. “I’ll drink your stupid potion. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to do my hair.”

 

Harry, who couldn’t see anything wrong with Draco’s usual groomed and gelled locks, simply shook his head with confusion as Draco left the room. He turned to Snape. “Is there any reason he can’t use the Floo Network? What, does he just not like the ash on his fancy clothes or something?”

 

“He nearly died in a house fire, as you’ll recall,” Snape said sharply.

 

“Er - yeah. Sorry, I didn't think.” Harry grimaced, then frowned as Snape’s words sounded alarm bells in his mind. “Wait he nearly died? I knew he was there, but I thought his mother got him out!”

 

“She did, but that doesn’t negate the danger he was in,” Snape said in a low voice. “Fiendfyre is very dangerous Dark magic, and spreads incredibly quickly. He was covered in soot when I picked him up from the Ministry, and suffering from the aftereffects of smoke inhalation. I believe the experience was a lot more traumatic than he prefers to let on, so keep that in mind as we set off.”

 

“I will,” Harry said.

 

He found himself thinking back to the incident at the Cokeworth fair all those months ago. Seeing a bonfire had struck absolute terror in Draco, hadn’t it? Harry supposed it was similar to the way he reacted to doing accidental magic. It was a very specific vulnerability that you wouldn’t know about unless you were intimately involved in Harry’s life.

 

They set out to leave soon after, bundled up in cloaks and scarves to brave the winter chill. The three of them gathered around the crackling fireplace, the jar of Floo powder awaiting them on the mantelpiece above. Draco looked between the dancing flames and the jar, his face paler than usual even after taking the Calming Draught that Snape had forced upon him.

 

After several long moments of inaction, Snape cleared his throat. “If you don’t -”

 

“I just need a minute!” Draco snapped. He squeezed his eyes shut and took several breaths.

 

Harry watched the tension fade from his face gradually, in a manner that reminded him greatly of Snape when he was Occluding. Of course - Snape had taught Draco Occlumency, too. Harry remembered Draco mentioning it to him all the way back in August. It took Draco significantly longer than Snape to push his emotions away, but Harry supposed Snape was a lot more experienced than Draco in that area.

 

When Draco finally decided to act, he was swift. He rushed forwards, grabbed a fistful of Floo powder, and threw it into the fireplace with unnecessary vigour. “Diagon Alley!”

 

With barely a moment of hesitation, he jumped into the whirlwind of green flames and vanished from view. Snape turned to Harry. “I oughtn’t leave him for long - I trust you know the way?”

 

“Yep - see you there.”

 

“Diagon Alley.”

 

Snape vanished from view, while Harry stepped forwards and grabbed a handful of Floo powder himself. He ensured he pronounced Diagon Alley properly, unlike the disastrous trip from the Burrow where he’d ended up in Borgin and Burkes. Harry could only imagine the sort of telling off he’d get from Snape if he wound up in Knockturn Alley…

 

After a nauseating journey through a maze of fireplaces, Harry landed face first onto the floor of the Leaky Cauldron. He pushed himself up just in time to see Draco roughly shoving Snape away from him. “I said I’m fine!” 

 

“Very well.” Snape took a step back from Draco, who had his arms wrapped around himself and his eyes squeezed shut. When he noticed Harry getting up from the floor, Snape frowned and quickly hauled Harry up the rest of the way, then dusted the soot from his cloak with a few swift pats.

 

Draco remained to the side for several moments, visibly anxious. Harry shifted from foot to foot, wondering if he should do or say something to help. Before he could make up his mind, Draco took a deep breath and reopened his eyes. “Let’s go.”

 

“Well done,” Snape said quietly.

 

Draco glared at him, but there wasn’t any real heat behind it. They quickly made their way into the back of the Leaky Cauldron and into Diagon Alley beyond, where Snape briskly led them along the narrow street. The whole place was imbued with Christmas spirit, from the twinkling Christmas trees in the shop windows to the bright lights strung up above. They kept changing shape - Harry made out baubles, Christmas puddings and prancing reindeer in the time it took them to arrive at Toffit’s Tearoom. It was a small but cheery place, with lacy curtains adorning the frosted windows and great stacks of teapots and finger foods sitting at every table.

 

As they approached, Harry reached out, squeezed Draco’s arm, and whispered, “It’s going to be okay.”

 

Draco looked at him, face a mixture of gratitude and fear. The three of them pressed forwards and through the door, and a small bell tinkled above them.

 

The tearoom was moderately busy. Harry scanned the room, looking for somebody bearing a resemblance to Draco. After glancing over several groups of gossiping middle-aged witches, he spotted a woman with long curly brown hair sitting alone at a table near the window. She was fidgeting and folding her hands in lap in a way that suggested nervousness. When she glanced over to the door, Harry got a better look at her face: high cheekbones, and heavy-lidded grey eyes. They were the exact same colour as Draco’s, Harry realised with a start. He knew instantly that this had to be Andromeda Tonks.

 

She seemed to realise a moment after Harry did who she was looking at. A smile spread across Andromeda’s face, and she got to her feet and moved over to them. Harry looked over to Draco - he was also smiling slightly, but his eyes were still filled with fear.

 

Andromeda came to a halt before the three of them. She made an odd, jerky sort of movement, like she’d gone to reach out to touch Draco’s shoulder but had thought better of it at the last moment.

 

“Draco - it’s a pleasure to finally meet you.”

 

“And you, Mrs Tonks,” Draco said politely. He held himself stiffly, back ramrod straight.

 

“Please, call me Andromeda if you’d like!” she said quickly. “I trust you’re well?”

 

“I am - and you?”

 

“Splendid, thank you.”

 

They fell into silence. Andromeda was staring at Draco, and Harry was almost certain there were tears glistening in the corners of her eyes. After a moment, she shook herself and turned to him and Snape. Andromeda outstretched a hand. “Severus - it’s good to see you again.”

 

“And you.” Snape shook her hand. “How is Ted?”

 

“Well, but busy - St Mungo’s always increases his shifts in the run up to Christmas,” Andromeda said with a small shake of her head. She looked to Harry and smiled. “And you must be Harry. It’s nice to meet you.”

 

“You too, Mrs Tonks,” Harry said. Unlike most people upon their first time meeting him, she actually looked him in the eyes instead of ogling his scar. Harry instantly decided he liked this woman.

 

“Harry and I have some Christmas shopping to attend to, so I’ll leave the two of you to get properly acquainted,” Snape said, taking a step back. “I’ll return in an hour, shall I?”

 

“Okay,” Draco said, the tightness in his voice indicating his panic. Snape went to leave the shop, while Harry took the time to shoot Draco a furtive thumbs-up before going to follow him outside.

 

The winter air stung as it hit his face, and Harry drew his scarf more tightly around his throat. The husky voice of a busker singing Christmas songs floated over the wind as Harry and Snape walked down the bustling street, packed almost shoulder to shoulder with shoppers. Harry took one last look back over his shoulder through the foggy window and into the tearoom. Andromeda was talking to Draco at their table, her head tilted to one side inquisitively.

 

“He’ll be fine without us there, right?” Harry asked.

 

“He will be,” Snape said confidently. “At any rate, this is something Draco has to deal with himself. I doubt our presence would help him significantly.”

 

“She seemed nice,” Harry said. “She and Draco have the same colour eyes.”

 

“Draco always took after his mother in that regard.” He swiftly glanced over at Harry, a wistful look on his face that vanished within moments. “Now, I have some potion ingredients to purchase - follow me.”

 

Harry proceeded to spend a ridiculous amount of time in Slug and Jiggers while Snape restocked on ingredients. As a general rule, Harry hated the foul-smelling apothecary and aimed to spend as little time in it as possible. Snape, however, seemed to enjoy the process of browsing and picking out products, and went over all of them individually to carefully examine the quality. The only highlight of the experience was watching Snape haggle over the priceswith the poor owner, who looked like he was about to wet himself by the end of the interaction. They exited the shop at last, Snape looking terribly pleased with himself.

 

“Sir - er, Severus, I thought you said we were doing Christmas shopping,” Harry pointed out.

 

“We are,” Snape said. “You may pick the next place.”

 

Harry ended up heading to Flourish and Blotts next door in a vain attempt to try and find a book that Hermione hadn’t yet bought or read. Snape was surprisingly helpful in that area, and managed to point out a book about brewing that Harry would have rather stuck pins in his eyes than read but thought Hermione would enjoy.

 

He also discovered a small and neglected-looking shelf of Muggle novels shoved in a deserted corner of the bookstore. Harry quickly headed over, and picked up the Lord of the Rings trilogy for Draco’s gift. He knew the other boy liked reading fiction, and thought he’d enjoy haughtily insulting Muggle fantasy tropes.

 

Harry then dragged a displeased Snape into Quality Quidditch Supplies to buy Ron a moving figurine of the new Chudley Cannons Seeker, and spent quite a while staring longingly at the Firebolt in the shop window. It had to be ludicrously expensive, but Harry did need a new broom -

 

“No,” Snape said from next to him. “Don’t even think about it.”

 

“I’m obviously not going to try and buy it,” Harry complained. “It would clear my vault out!”

 

“I am glad you possess that level of self-awareness, because I would happily lock your vault key away until you reached seventeen if you attempted to purchase that astronomically overpriced contraption,” Snape said pointedly.

 

Harry rolled his eyes. “Sure. Whatever.” He sighed. “I miss my Nimbus - Oliver’s been going on at me to get a new one for weeks now…”

 

“Don’t fret,” Snape said. “These things have a way of working themselves out.”

 

Harry wasn’t sure if Snape thought his broom could magically become un-smashed by the Whomping Willow, but didn’t try to argue the point further.

 

“Are you at last done obsessing over racing brooms for the day?” Snape complained. “I’d prefer to leave this place before I die of old age.”

 

“Fine. You’re the one who insists on stalking me around all the shops, you know,” Harry grumbled, heading over to the till.

 

“And you’re the one who insists on using any unsupervised time to flagrantly break important rules,” Snape said sharply.

 

“But I have things I need to do without you here!” Harry said. “Like - like secret shopping and stuff.”

 

Harry dearly hoped Snape realised that 'secret shopping' was actually code for ‘buying Snape a Christmas present’ and didn’t assume Harry was about to tear off into Knockturn Alley to buy wizard drugs, or whatever it was that he imagined Harry did while unsupervised.

 

“Very well,” Snape said eventually. “You have half an hour - meet me outside of the Magical Menagerie, and if you are so much as a second late, you will regret it dearly.”

 

Harry snapped his head around, shocked. “Wait, really?”

 

“You could say I have some secret shopping of my own to do,” Snape said, turning to leave the store. “I will see you soon - don’t go anywhere near Knockturn Alley, or I will have you scrubbing cauldrons until you’re thirty.”

 

Harry shuffled forward to the front of the queue and paid for the figurine, wondering what on earth Snape could be doing that had to be secret. Maybe he was going into Knockturn Alley to get some potions stuff he didn’t want Harry knowing about…

 

While Harry made his way to Sugarplum’s Sweet Shop to pick up some sweets for his friends, his mind was working overtime trying to think of what he could give Snape. He’d drawn the man a fairly decent sketch of his Potions laboratory for a gift, but that just didn’t feel like enough, somehow. What else could he find?

 

Harry also ended up buying a mug with ‘World’s Greatest Potions Master’ written in curlicues above a moving, bubbling cauldron image. Snape’s usual blue mug was chipped and faded, so it couldn’t hurt for him to have another one to add to the rotation. Was that enough, though? Harry wasn’t sure what else Snape would even like. The man’s main interests were concentrated around brewing, but he had everything he needed for that… this was impossible!

 

But on his way out of the sweetshop, Harry spotted a record shop nestled nearby, and an idea suddenly struck him. He recalled a conversation he’d had with Snape a few days earlier while they were brewing, about a certain song that Snape sometimes used to keep time while stirring…

 

An evil grin spread across Harry’s face as he headed into the store.

 

Harry, who was surprised to learn wizards even had record shops, was doubtful that he’d find what he was looking for. Luckily for him, the owner of the shop was a cheerful Muggleborn wizard who had apparently expanded into Muggle music as well as wizard. Harry quickly found a vinyl with all of ABBA’s greatest hits on it, and smirked to himself. He could already imagine the irritated look on Snape’s face when he unwrapped it. This was going to be amazing.

 

“You’re Muggleborn?” the wizard queried as Harry handed over his money.

 

“Er - sure,” he said, carefully flattening his fringe over his scar.

 

“Then just a warning - don’t use that on a regular turntable,” the shopkeeper warned. “Magical records are a bit different - tap it once with your wand, and it’ll start playing to you.”

 

Harry nodded, and smiled at the man. “I’ll remember that. Thanks.”

 

He left the shop and trotted over to the Magical Menagerie, his pockets considerably lighter and arms weighed down with shopping bags. He found Snape waiting for him by the Magical Menagerie with several extra bags of his own, staring at his watch and at the tracker connected to Harry’s bracelet sitting beneath it. He looked up at Harry as he approached and nodded. “Good - you’re on time. Shall we meet up again with Draco?”

 

“Alright,” Harry said, blinking rapidly to try and clear the snowflakes from his eyelashes. They’d started falling in the last ten minutes, and were building into a considerable flurry.

 

He and Snape fought their way through the downfall and re-entered Toffit’s Tearoom. Harry immediately looked over to Draco, and was relieved to realise that the other boy looked considerably more relaxed than he had when they’d started the day. He actually had a smile on his face, and was listening attentively to Andromeda as she spoke.

 

“...Cissy wouldn’t have that, of course. There I was, crying over Rabastian’s answer, more embarrassed than I’d ever been, when she stepped up to confront him. Eleven years old, she stormed over to Rabastian, kicked him in the shins so hard he started howling in front of the whole Slytherin common room, and informed him that he’d be lucky to have a girl like me!”

 

Draco laughed. “I can’t believe Mother would do something like that!”

 

“Oh, Cissy was fiery at that age - you had to be, growing up with our eldest sister,” Andromeda muttered the last part, a hint of darkness colouring her tone. “Your mother and I fought like cats and dogs when we were younger, I tell you… when I was seven I cut all the hair off her favourite doll, and Cissy was so furious that she - oh, hello, you two!”

 

“Severus, Harry!” Draco’s eyes were bright and cheerful, and darted immediately to the shopping bags they were holding. “Anything in there for me, perchance?”

 

“Yes - I thought it was a perfect day to stock up on coal,” Snape said dryly. He intentionally shifted the bags so that Draco was unable to peer in and see their contents.

 

“Do sit down!” Andromeda said, gesturing to the extra chairs at their table. Harry and Snape quickly settled down. “Draco’s been telling me all about the two of you. I hear you’ve got quite the rematch coming up between your Quidditch teams?”

 

“Yeah,” Harry said. “Our Captains can’t agree on a date yet, though.”

 

“Well, good luck to the both of you,” she said. “I’ve always enjoyed Quidditch, although I never had the balance on a broomstick to play it myself.”

 

“I was much the same,” Snape said, lips quirking with amusement. “Although enjoying Quidditch would be a significant overstatement of my interest in the sport…”

 

Andromeda laughed. “You and Ted would certainly get along, then.”

 

“She’s told me so much about Mother that I never knew, Severus,” Draco said excitedly. “Did you know she botched an attempt to become an Animagus when she was fifteen?”

 

Snape made an amused sort of noise. “I’d forgotten. Yes, Lucius used to tease her about it mercilessly…”

 

“Oh, our father was furious when it happened!” Andromeda laughed. “He made Cissy go around with a fox tail and whiskers for two weeks that summer as a punishment… it certainly put her off Animagus Transfiguration for good.”

 

Harry watched as the three of them smiled at each other, feeling a little left out. He did his best to hide the continual waves of envy coursing through him and sat back, fidgeting with his hands. Still, someone ended up noticing him withdrawing - and shockingly enough, it was Andromeda.

 

“You know, Harry, I met your parents a few times myself,” she confided.

 

Harry turned back to her, his heartbeat instantly quickening. “You did?”

 

She nodded. “Ted and I were non-active members of the Order of the Phoenix - that was what we called the old crowd of us fighting against You-Know-Who. Your parents were full members, of course, out on the front lines fighting, and they’d end up in our home sometimes after battles. We were one of the Order safehouses, you see.”

 

Harry stared at her, wide-eyed, hoping against hope that Andromeda would continue speaking. To his immense delight, she did.

 

“One particular occasion I remember is back in early 1980, when your mother was pregnant with you,” Andromeda said. “The Potters came to us after an unexpected attack on the original safehouse they were doing Curse Research in. Lily Potter was quite the spitfire - four months pregnant, and she escaped a Death Eater ambush outnumbered five to one with barely a scratch on her!”

 

“Wow,” Harry breathed.

 

“Your father wasn’t one to be overlooked, either,” Andromeda added. “He disabled some of You-Know-Who’s most lethal Death Eaters that night, trying to make sure you and your mother got out safely. He came to us with his arm half hanging off, but wouldn’t even let Ted look at him until he’d checked over Lily. His wife and the baby were more important than any little flesh wound, he said.” She shook her head fondly. “Ridiculous man. Foolish, but braver than anyone else I knew.”

 

Harry stared at Andromeda, borderline entranced as she finished off. He could really understand why Draco had looked so fascinated by his aunt’s words when they’d arrived a few minutes ago; Andromeda was a truly brilliant storyteller. She put dramatic emphasis in all the right places, and Harry couldn’t believe the recall for detail she had of events that had occurred over a decade ago.

 

“Now, I unfortunately must be rushing off soon, but I’d love to do this again,” Andromeda said earnestly. She turned to Draco and fondly patted his shoulder. “It has been an absolute pleasure to finally meet you, Draco.”

 

“And you, Aunt Andromeda,” he said, beaming up at her. It was a far sight from the nervous wreck Draco had been just hours earlier. He was as comfortable with his aunt as if he’d known her for years.

 

“If Dora isn’t too busy with her Auror duties, I’ll bring her along the next time we meet,” Andromeda promised. “I hope the three of you have a very happy Christmas.”

 

“You, too,” Snape said, rising to his feet. “I’ll be in contact to arrange a weekend meeting while Draco is still at Hogwarts.”

 

After a final few exchanged pleasantries, Harry and Draco followed Snape out of the tea shop and into Diagon Alley. It seemed that Draco had just been waiting to be out of the presence of his aunt to explode into chatter. When they were a little way down the street, Draco spun around to face Harry and Snape, face split wide with a grin.

 

“So?” Harry prompted.

 

“She’s great!” Draco said happily. “So nice. She told me so much about my mother that I’d never heard before, it was amazing! I felt like I saw a completely different side of her. Andromeda’s going to properly introduce me to her husband and daughter the next time we meet. I’ve already met Nymphadora - that’s my cousin’s proper name, apparently - but it will be nice to do it again in a more pleasant situation, of course. Oh, that was better than I could have ever imagined!”

 

“I’m pleased for you, Draco,” Snape said.

 

Harry did his best to smile at the other boy while he continued to talk, because it was the right thing to do. The jealousy had reared its ugly head yet again, vicious and choking, but that wasn’t Draco’s fault. There was absolutely no point in feeling upset about Aunt Petunia, just because Andromeda was so different to her in every possible respect. He had accepted a long time ago that Petunia would never want anything to do with him, so he had to bloody well start acting like it, Harry told himself fiercely. He was being ridiculous.

 

But knowing that didn’t change how Harry felt. It didn’t stop Harry from staring at his bedroom ceiling late that night, wishing he was Draco. Wishing things could be different.

To be continued...
Merry Christmas by aspionage

“Harry, what are you -”

 

“Don’t come in!” Harry shouted. “I’m wrapping presents, you can’t see!”

 

“Oooh!” Harry heard his door handle rattle, and had to throw his entire body weight at his bedroom door to stop Draco from barging in and seeing his gifts.

 

“Come on!” Draco’s muffled voice complained. “Just give me a peek -”

 

“Nope,” Harry said firmly. “You have to wait for tomorrow.”

 

He twisted the door lock, hurriedly finished taping together the wrapping paper, then shoved gifts under his bed. He had to rush - Harry wouldn’t trust Draco not to cast Alohomora on his door just to be annoying.

 

“I don’t get why you’re doing it yourself!” Draco said disdainfully. “Just ask the house-elves, that’s what I always do…”

 

After confirming that the presents were properly hidden, Harry unlocked his door again and finally met Draco in the outside hallway. He glared at the other boy. “I do it because I want to!”

 

“Why?” Draco said with a frown. “Why would you want more work?”

 

“Cause I never got to do any of it before,” Harry shrugged. “I never had anyone to give gifts to until two years ago.”

 

Draco’s face fell. “Oh. I - er…”

 

Harry gently shoved him. Draco had started to look quite despondent. “Stop it. I get to celebrate properly now, don’t I? All of the Christmases I’ve had at Hogwarts made up for the Dursleys, easy.”

 

Draco’s crestfallen expression was not cleared up by this, either. Harry, who didn’t like the pitying looks he was being sent, decided to leave Draco to it and walked into the main part of Snape’s quarters. It was decked out with tinsel, garland and a modest Christmas tree stood in one corner, which Harry and Draco had covered in baubles a few days ago while Snape watched on with grinch-like derision. Still, at Draco’s insistence, he had set aside time to conjure up an enchanted, twinkling star for the top of the tree. It certainly outdid the ugly old angel Aunt Petunia always topped her tree with.

 

Harry swiped a gingerbread man from the plate Draco had ordered to their quarters from the kitchens and sat down on the sofa with a contented sigh. Nowhere in the dungeons was ever quite as warm as their living room, with its bright and crackling fireplace. Harry bit off the gingerbread man’s head, and smiled as the flavour of the spices fizzled on his tongue. Draco quickly followed him in and grabbed a gingerbread man of his own. Luckily, he’d stopped looking at Harry like a kicked puppy in the time it had taken for him to leave the hallway.

 

“Fancy a snowball fight?” Draco suggested.

 

“Still not allowed out,” Harry mumbled through a mouthful of gingerbread. Draco gave him a thoroughly disgusted look, and Harry hastily swallowed. 

 

“Severus!” Draco called, cupping his hands around his mouth. “Can Harry go out in the snow with me?”

 

A moment later, Snape stuck his head through the office doorway and scowled. “Must you shout through my quarters instead of walking the short distance to this door to ask politely?”

 

“So?” Draco pressed. “Can we go onto the grounds?”

 

“You certainly can,” Snape said, with a sharp look in Harry’s direction. “I believe you are perfectly aware of a certain incident he’s being punished for?”

 

“But it’s Christmas Eve!” Draco complained. “You can't be in trouble on Christmas! Besides, it won't be any fun without him.”

 

“He is in the room right now, you know,” Harry grumbled. “So you can stop talking about me in the third person.”

 

“Come on! He’s a deprived orphan, Severus!” Draco said. “Think of all the snowball fights he missed before with the Muggles! How are you going to say no after all of that?”

 

Harry’s jaw dropped. “Are you seriously -”

 

“And I’m the child of the punitive system, you know,” Draco added. “A social outcast. I need the interaction, really, so I don’t tumble down a dark path.”

 

Harry wasn’t sure if Snape was purposely ignoring Draco, or if he was so utterly shocked by those outlandish statements that he’d been stunned into silence.

 

“Come on, Severus!” Draco pleaded. “Please?”

 

Snape stared at Draco for several long moments, then sighed very loudly. “I suppose that it wouldn’t do me any harm to break from my marking to take in the fresh air… and since Harry’s punishment is to remain under my supervision at all times, he must therefore accompany me outside.”

 

“Thank you!” Draco said gleefully, already reaching for his cloak and scarf. Harry was too busy staring at Snape in shock to react.

 

“Stop gawking at me and go before I change my mind,” Snape said. He waved his wand, and Harry’s cloak flew off the coat hanger and directly at him so he barely had time to grab it from the air before it smacked him in the face. “I’ll meet you outside in a few minutes, once I’ve finished up what I’m doing.”

 

“Thanks, Severus,” he said with a small smile, barely believing his luck. Apparently, Draco’s transparent attempts at manipulation were more effective than he’d thought. 

 

“And don’t even think about going out of bounds!” Snape warned them sharply.

 

“We won’t,” Harry promised. At any rate, he was all too conscious of the weight of his tracker on his wrist now to dare think he could do something without Snape knowing about it. 

 

While he bundled into his winter clothes, Harry smiled to himself and leaned over to Draco. He whispered, “I think the Christmas spirit is actually getting to Scrooge…”

 

Snape shook his head and waved a hand at them. “Cease with the Dickensian comparisons and go already!” 

 

There was a special kind of magic about Hogwarts at Christmas, Harry thought, especially when it was so empty. The situation with Black meant that just four students were staying for the holidays: Harry, Draco, an older Slytherin and a Gryffindor first-year. Their footsteps echoed as they sprinted through the silent halls, lined with tinsel and heady with the smell of Christmas cooking wafting up from the kitchens. They burst out onto the twinkling white grounds, untouched snow stretching all the way from the castle steps to the forest. It had stormed last night, but the sky was crystal clear now, leaving plenty of snowdrifts for Harry and Draco’s amusement.

 

Harry didn’t think he stopped smiling the entire time they were out there, pelting each other with snowballs until their fingers went numb and droplets of icy water dripped from their hair. Even Snape seemed to be in an unusually good mood, a single smudge of black against the icy blues and whites of the winter world. Every now and then, a snowball that couldn’t have come from Draco would hit Harry in the back, and he’d turn around to find Snape smirking with his arms crossed. Try as he might, though, Harry could never quite catch the man in the act. It didn’t help that every time Harry tried to watch Snape, he was letting his guard down to offensives from Draco.

 

At Harry’s insistence they even built a snowman, something he'd never been able to do while living on Privet Drive. He’d tried a couple of times, but Dudley would always kick it into mush before it could go anywhere. They fetched sticks for arms, stones for eyes, and Harry rushed into the Great Hall to pilfer a carrot from the lunch leftovers for a nose while Draco attempted to Transfigure a hat out of his his glove. It was rather wonky, and looked more like a tea cosy than the top hat he’d been going for, but Harry thought that those little imperfections were the best part.

 

“The Muggles have a Christmas song about a snowman that comes to life,” Harry told Draco. “Frosty the Snowman. I always used to hope that the snowmen in Little Whinging would come alive like he did.”

 

The other boy sighed suddenly. “My father always used to enchant my snowman to wave and dance around… I thought it was the most brilliant thing when I was younger.”

 

Draco’s expression had grown horribly wistful, so Harry tried to intervene. “Well, do you know any of the spells? Why don't we try them?”

 

After a moment, Draco furiously shook himself. “Yes, we should. That would be fun, wouldn't it? Let me show you…”

 

It didn't go entirely as anticipated. They managed to make the snowman's twig arms wave a bit awkwardly with some nifty charmwork, but when they tried to make the snowman nod its head, the snowball abruptly took on a life of its own and started chasing them around the grounds. Harry let out a rather undignified shriek as it barrelled right at him, and was forced to run as fast as he could from his attacker while Draco took an exceedingly long time to cancel the spell. He teased Harry about it all the way back to the dungeons, alongside one irritatingly amused Snape. Still, Harry couldn’t be too annoyed. At least Draco was smiling, now.

 

After they'd been ordered into dry clothes and plied with warming drinks, Harry and Draco settled around the fireplace with Snape. For the last week he'd been marking constantly, but the man had at last set his work aside. Harry, sipping on his hot chocolate, realised that Snape was staring at him thoughtfully. He frowned. “What is it?"

 

“I was simply wondering if you had any particular Christmas traditions you'd like us to do,” Snape said. “I hadn't asked. Is there anything special you’ve done in previous years to mark the occasion?”

 

“Yeah, if you're asking me how I celebrated Christmas with the Dursleys that's going to kill the mood pretty fast,” Harry said darkly. He shook his head and tried to think back. “I always liked the music, I guess?”

 

Aunt Petunia liked to start preparing Christmas dinner the night before, so Harry would get to listen in on the radio by proxy while he cleaned or cooked. He was never a fan of the traditional Christian carols his aunt favoured, but sometimes Dudley would barge into the kitchen for food and would switch the station to pop, which Harry preferred. 

 

“That can certainly be arranged,” Snape said, gesturing to a device on the mantelpiece that greatly resembled a radio. “Are you familiar with the Wizarding Wireless?”

 

Harry frowned. “No?”

 

“It's essentially a magical radio,” he explained. “Some of the songs will be ones you're unfamiliar with, but certain stations favour Muggle songs as well.”

 

“Cool!” Harry had never heard a wizard's Christmas song before, apart from a few magical parodies of traditional carols the enchanted suits of armour sometimes sang.

 

“We ought to make some of our own traditions, I think,” Draco said, going over to fiddle with the knob on the Wireless. “We could all do a round of Christmas Eve karaoke, perhaps - give us a bit of ‘A Cauldron Full of Hot, Strong Love’, will you, Severus?”

 

Snape scowled fiercely. “I have a better idea for a tradition - one that involves poison being force-fed to irritating little boys.” 

 

“Bit of ABBA, then?” Harry suggested. “‘Dancing Queen’, maybe? That’s your favourite!”

 

“The death by poison is becoming infinitely more painful with every passing comment.” Snape glared at Harry and Draco, who were laughing amongst themselves. “I have already had to endure staff karaoke this year - I cannot cope with more…”

 

“You actually went to staff karaoke?” Harry asked, immediately interested. “You? Why?!”

 

“It was during a mandatory faculty Christmas party,” Snape said grimly. “I assure you, I did not voluntarily decide to listen to the Headmaster’s rendition of ‘Santa Baby’.”

 

Harry, stunned into silence by a rather horrifying and vivid visual of Dumbledore singing, did not respond as Draco asked what that song was. Once he’d recovered his wits, however, a spirited discussion about the joys of Muggle Christmas music quickly began, until Snape managed to find a way to tune the Wizarding Wireless into a Muggle radio station. The sound quality was a little distorted, but Draco listened with interest, and seemed to take a particular liking to ‘Fairytale of New York’ and ‘Last Christmas’.

 

Despite his general grumpiness when it came to all things festive, Harry couldn't help but think that Snape wasn't as Christmas-averse as he'd like them to think. He'd been remarkably indulgent those last few days, like allowing Harry out despite the terms of his punishment, and he had actually helped in tiny, unidentifiable ways while Harry and Draco decorated his quarters. In fact, while they all sat down for dinner, Harry was almost entirely certain he caught Snape subtly nodding his head in time to a particularly catchy Celestina Warbeck track. He immediately stopped when he noticed Harry watching, though, and fixed him with a withering glare.

 

Snape’s indulgence even extended to post-dinner activities, where Harry and Draco managed to persuade Snape to join them for a game of Monopoly for the first time since August. While Harry fetched the board from where it was stored, Draco crouched down next to him. 

 

“Hey - I have a plan.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“We both want to beat Severus, don't we?” Draco said in a low voice. “So why don't we team up?”

 

“What?” Harry whispered. “How would we even do that?”

 

“Simple - give each other lower deals and don't buy properties the other will definitely want,” Draco said. “We just need to stop him winning again - any means necessary, eh?”

 

“Sure,” Harry said with a grin.

 

“Precisely how long does it take to locate a Monopoly board?” Snape called. Draco hurried back into the room, closely followed by Harry, and the two of them did their best to look innocent.

 

Despite their best efforts to band together in the face of a common enemy, it seemed that Draco and Harry were destined to fail. They both did their best to give the other decent property deals - some of the low offers made Snape's eyebrows rise into his hairline - but unluckily for them, the man quickly caught onto their strategy and played accordingly. It was certainly a longer, closer game than last time, but Snape eked out a victory over Draco in the final hour. 

 

“I will never understand how you do that,” Draco grumbled. “Harry and I have been playing together for months now - we should be better than you! What's the trick?”

 

“Ah, but if I told you, it wouldn't be a particularly useful strategy anymore, would it?” Snape arched an eyebrow. “Cunning, Draco.”

 

“Whatever,” Draco muttered moodily. He tended to be a bit of a sore loser.

 

“Now, it's getting late - should we light the candle?”

 

Draco nodded. “Yes, let's do it.”

 

“The candle?” Harry said curiously. 

 

“A Yule Candle - it's a tradition practiced by a fair number of wizarding families,” Snape explained.

 

“You light a candle, and place it on the windowsill - it has to burn all night long," Draco added. “It’s how you welcome the light for the coming year.”

 

Harry, who was very interested in all of this now, followed along as Snape took a long white candle with some pretty, swirled carvings on it, and placed it in a sconce on the kitchen windowsill. By now, the murky green light from the lake was replaced with uniform darkness. 

 

Harry had assumed that they'd light the candle with a wand, but Snape actually lit a match, which he handed to Draco. Slowly, carefully, he lowered the flame to the wick. In all manners it appeared to be a regular candle, but when Harry looked closely as Draco blew out the match, the flame on the wick flickered between colours aside from orange. This was certainly enchanted - something in the air felt heavy with magic. A heady, cedar smell filled the room.

 

Draco sighed, and wrapped his arms around himself. "Mother always used to say this was how you brought lost loved ones near - a candle in the window, to let them know where to find you, wherever they are."

 

He bowed his head, lost in thought. Harry stared into the flickering flame, surprisingly melancholy in his own way. He had his own lost family to think about - namely, his mother and father. Long before he could remember, he'd had a Christmas with them. If they'd lived, what would this night have been like? Would his mother have introduced him to Muggle Christmas songs? Would his father have taught Harry about the Yule Candle? What would it be like to spend Christmas Eve with his family?

 

As Harry glanced around the room, though, he thought he had an answer to that final question. A day full of gingerbread, snowball fights, board games and playful teasing.

 

As his eyes landed on Snape, who also seemed absentminded, Harry wondered what lost loved ones he was thinking about. He knew that Snape hadn't gotten along with his father, but did he still think of the man at times like these? What about his mother?

 

Draco coughed, interrupting Harry from his musings. “I… excuse me a moment, please… “

 

He hurried away down the hallway. Draco's bedroom door clicked shut a moment later.

 

Snape sighed heavily. "I'm sure you can understand that this is a difficult time for him.”

 

Harry nodded. "I bet it is. I'm a bit surprised he's been doing well at all, honestly… “

 

"Christmas is his favourite time of year,” Snape said quietly. He was still watching the candle, and the flame danced in his dark eyes. "He said he doesn't want the actions of his father to ruin things for him. However, what we want and what we actually feel are not always synchronous. Christmas is the time for family, and it’s his first year without them. He’s bound to be thinking of Lucius and Narcissa.”

 

Harry nodded his assent. After a moment of hesitation, he decided to confide something in Snape he'd have normally pushed to the back of his mind.

 

"I keep thinking about the Dursleys today,” he confessed. "Just little things - like how obsessive Aunt Petunia was about the tree, and all the stuff Dudley wanted to eat I wasn't allowed, and - well, normally I try not to think about them at all. I can't help it for some reason today, though. If I'm thinking about people I don't really like, then - well, I’m not surprised he is.”

 

“It is normal to think about them," Snape said quietly. “You know, I spent nearly every Christmas at Hogwarts from the age of eleven onwards, and I still think of childhood Christmases which weren't, ah… entirely enjoyable for me."

 

Harry, who had spent most of the last month thinking of Snape as an unreasonably grumpy Christmas-hater, cringed as he abruptly realised the man must have his reasons for disliking the holiday. He sometimes forgot that Snape also had a difficult family, and how that was bound to affect him.

 

“Today has been about a billion times better, you know," Harry whispered. “I used to spend Christmas Eve hoovering the living room and staring at Dudley’s present mountain knowing I wasn't going to get anything. This - all I ever wanted was this."

 

A family. Harry's mind finished the words he couldn't quite voice yet. 

 

Snape smiled, then reached out to briefly squeeze his shoulder. "It's been rather pleasant for me as well, I will confess. I generally tend to spend the holidays locked away alone. This was… far more enjoyable. You're looking forward to tomorrow, I presume?"

 

Harry grinned back. “Of course." He glanced over to the Christmas tree, then to the corridor Draco had disappeared down. “Should I go see him, d'you think? Is that okay?”

 

"I actually think it would be precisely what he needs at the minute,” Snape said. “Call for me if he wants more company.”

 

“I will,” Harry promised. He hurried down the corridor and hesitated for a moment outside of Draco's door before softly knocking. When he received no response, Harry gently pushed the door open. The room was mostly dark, but as Harry's eyes adjusted, he noticed Draco curled up on his bed. Harry walked in and sat down next to him.

 

“Hi,” he said. “Erm - I just wanted to see how you are after - yeah…”

 

There was a brief silence, then rustling movement. “I'm sorry,” Draco whispered. “I don't want to spoil things.”

 

“What do you mean?” Harry asked. “You're not spoiling anything!”

 

“I just - I don't want to be miserable, I want to be happy - it's Christmas!” Draco said, pressing his hands over his face. “And - well, I know you've had your share of really horrid Christmases, and I don't want to make this one bad, too -”

 

“Draco, no!” Harry said, dismayed. “Come on, you can't help being sad! Bloody hell, you're not a robot!”

 

Draco at last looked at Harry, deeply confused. “A what?” 

 

“Never mind,” Harry said hastily. “But yeah, it's okay to miss them. If you wanted to spend all of tomorrow locked in here you'd have every right, I reckon.”

 

“No - I don't want that,” Draco said after a moment. “I love Christmas, you know. I want to enjoy it, but these random things keep making me so dreadfully sad…”

 

“Not much you can do there. But you being sad doesn't ruin Christmas, I promise.” Searching for a way to lighten the mood, Harry added, “My Aunt Marge’s dog knocking a glass of red wine on Aunt Petunia’s new cream carpet is what ruins Christmas, let me tell you… you’d have thought the dog killed someone, the way she was looking at it!”

 

Draco let out a small snort and turned to face Harry properly. “Can you take my mind off it all?” he asked softly. “Tell me about some Muggle Christmas nonsense, maybe?”

 

“Okay.” Harry shuffled back against the blankets so he was lying next to Draco. “Er… do you remember when I called Snape Scrooge earlier? Did you know what I was talking about?”

 

“Not a clue.”

 

“Right - let me tell you about A Christmas Carol, then,” Harry said. “I always see you reading, so I'd bet you'd get a kick out of it. So we're in Victorian London, and there's this grumpy bloke named Ebenezer Scrooge…”

 

He spoke for hours and hours, talking about anything and everything from the books and songs he was familiar with to the Nativity play his primary school would put on. He talked until both of their eyes grew thick and droopy with exhaustion, and they both drifted off to sleep.

 


 

The next morning, when Harry woke up and realised what day it was, he felt a shiver of excitement that had nothing to do with the cold. Of course, he was still rather chilly, since Draco was hogging the entire duvet. He decided to wake the other boy by yanking off the covers and roughly shaking his shoulder. 

 

“Wake up!”

 

Draco didn’t open his eyes, but Harry knew the other boy was awake as he was roughly kicked in the thigh.

 

“It’s Christmas morning, get up already!” he said. “Presents, Draco!”

 

That got Draco’s attention. He finally sat up while Harry rushed back into his bedroom, donned a dressing gown over his pyjamas, and made a beeline for the Christmas tree. As he emerged into the living room, Harry saw Snape was also up and about. He was carrying a long, thin package, wrapped in brown paper.

 

“Happy Christmas, Severus!” Harry said. He craned his neck. “Who’s that for?”

 

“It doesn’t matter,” Snape said, his voice growing muffled as he entered his bedroom. “It was unlabelled - I’m disposing of it.”

 

“Why?” 

 

“Because it’s highly suspicious - I’m concerned it’s hexed.”

 

“It might be from Dumbledore,” Harry said. “He sent me the Invisibility Cloak for Christmas in an unlabelled package back in my first year.”

 

“I assure you, that item would certainly not have come from the Headmaster,” Snape muttered, emerging from his bedroom and shutting the door behind him.

 

“What was it, then?” Harry asked curiously.

 

“None of your business,” Snape said a little sharply. He gestured over Harry’s head. “And anyway, haven’t you got enough presents to concern yourself with?”

 

Harry turned around, and his face lit up at the sizable gift pile he found himself facing. Draco was already crouched at the base of the tree, pulling out a green-wrapped package with his name on. Harry hurried over to join him, while Snape followed at a more relaxed pace and took a seat on the sofa. Harry tore into his first package and quickly slipped on a jumper from Mrs Weasley, red with a Gryffindor lion knitted on the front, and took a bite out of one of the homemade mince pies she’d sent him. The tins must be enchanted - it was still piping hot. The crumbly pastry practically melted in his mouth.

 

“Want one?” Harry asked, offering the tin up to Snape. 

 

He shook his head. “I have been sent food and a jumper of my own, as a matter of fact.”

 

“Really?”

 

Snape nodded and revealed a soft package to his side which turned out to contain a jumper - plain black, naturally. Harry smiled to himself, and mentally thanked the infinite kindness of Mrs Weasley. 

 

“Ooh, what are these, Harry?” Draco asked, holding up the books Harry had gifted him.

 

“It’s a Muggle fantasy series,” Harry explained. “Lord of the Rings. I thought you might enjoy seeing what they think of our world.”

 

Draco did something he’d have never done just six months earlier after being handed something Muggle - he grinned. “Oh, that should be very interesting! Thanks, Harry - have you opened mine yet?”

 

Harry shook his head while Draco shoved a package at him. The wrapping paper was covered in tiny buzzing snitches, so Harry carefully unstuck it to avoid ruining the beautiful enchantments. Within he found the latest edition of Seeker Weekly, as well as a card stating he had a six month subscription in his name to the magazine.

 

“Now you can stop stealing all of mine,” Draco declared. 

 

“Wicked - thanks, Draco.” 

 

Harry went to reach for another package, but was interrupted by an outraged cry from his left. “How rude!”

 

“What is it?” he asked, turning to face the outraged Draco. He held up a package of Toothflossing Stringmints, scowling fiercely. “Is this Granger’s idea of a joke? What, is she trying to say I have bad teeth or something?”

 

“No, no, no!” Harry said quickly. “She sends those to everyone! Look, I’ve even got some.” He held up his own package of sweets. “Her parents are dentists, so she thinks they’re cool. Don’t ask me why.”

 

“What on earth is a dentist?”

 

“A Muggle profession specialising in tooth care,” Snape explained. Harry noticed he was drinking coffee out of the mug Harry had bought him, and smiled to himself.

 

“How odd.” Draco continued to stare at the package with a frown on his face, although his expression brightened considerably a few moments later. “Oh, she’s sent me the caramel Honeyduke’s chocolate, too! That was nice of her, I suppose…” He looked up at Harry again, clearly confused. “But why would Granger send me anything?”

 

“Why not?” Harry said. “She doesn’t mind you, now - told me so herself. Same with Ron. There should be something under there from him, too.”

 

“I see,” Draco said softly. He stared into the fire, clearly lost in thought, but the ghost of a smile curled up at the edge of his lips.

 

Olive branch accepted, Harry thought victoriously as he reached for a gift. Maybe in the new year, he could try to get Ron and Hermione in a room with Draco to see if they’d get along.

 

Harry couldn’t help but be surprised by the sheer number of presents he had received from Snape. Part of him had been scared to even hope that Snape would get him anything at all, but he’d actually gotten Harry a multitude of things. New Quidditch gloves, a fur-lined winter cloak with built in warming enchantments, a selection of Honeyduke's chocolates, and his favourite gift of all - a handsome leatherbound sketchbook with a set of proper art pencils. Harry beamed at Snape. “I always wanted some of these! Thank you so much!”

 

“I’m sure you’ll put them to good use,” Snape said. He had just unwrapped the sketch of the laboratory Harry had made him, and a smile crossed his face. “This is rather well done - thank you, Harry. It must have taken a while.”

 

Harry, who had been particularly nervous about that gift, felt a warm glow spread throughout his chest. He turned back around and reached for a long, thin package. Draco was just tearing into one that looked similar, and he beamed once it was open. “Severus, thanks!”

 

“Now you won’t be flying on a borrowed broom for the rematch,” Snape said with an approving nod. Harry glanced over and realised that Draco had opened up a package containing a Nimbus Two Thousand and One. He frowned, and was just about to ask Draco what had happened to the old one his father had bought last year when he remembered the fire - it must have been destroyed. He winced and turned back to his own gift, feeling a little sad about his trusty old Nimbus Two Thousand. Harry really missed having a functional broomstick…

 

But that feeling of sadness instantly evaporated when he opened his own package and found a Nimbus Two Thousand and One. Harry gasped. “You didn’t!” 

 

“Well, you certainly needed one after what happened to your old broom,” Snape said with a grimace. 

 

Harry couldn’t even be put down by the memory of that disastrous match. He ran his hands over the smooth, polished handle of his new Nimbus. He could feel it thrumming with power beneath his fingertips.

 

“I can’t believe you, of all people, bought two racing brooms,” Draco laughed. “How did you bear it, Severus?”

 

“Badly.” Snape suddenly let out a very loud groan. “You evil, evil boy.”

 

Harry turned around and saw the ABBA’S Greatest Hits record sitting in Snape’s lap. He snickered. “I got your favourite!”

 

“Evil.” Snape sent him a truly withering glare, but Harry noticed a slight twitching around his lips. Normally that was a sign of an incoming explosion of rage, but Harry had an inkling that Snape was actually trying very hard not to laugh.

 

“Oh, this is that Muggle band you like!” Draco said, peering at the cover.

 

“I do not like -”

 

“Put it on, Severus!” Draco interrupted.

 

Snape, who seemed to have accepted defeat, removed the vinyl from its case while Draco got out his wand and tapped it. The opening notes of ‘Dancing Queen’ drifted over the room. By the end of the song, Snape had given up on trying to scowl at the music. Harry could tell by the slightly absent look in his eyes that Snape was lost in memories from a time long ago.

 

“Merlin’s beard, I would not expect you to listen to this sort of thing,” Draco said, eyebrows furrowed as he stared at Snape. “Really, Severus?”

 

“Lily Evans was a very hard person to say no to,” Snape said with a sigh. He stared at Harry for several long moments as the next song started up, hesitated, and then reached into the pocket of his robes. “I have one last thing for you, Harry.”

 

“Wait, really?” Harry said. “But you’ve got me loads already!”

 

“This is something different,” he said, handing Harry a small stack of yellowing letters, all tied together with a length of blue string. There looked to be just under a dozen. For some reason, Snape was looking on rather anxiously, so Harry quickly untied the string. He pulled a postcard from the top of the pile. There was a rather pretty print of a sandy beach, captioned neatly as ‘St Ives, Cornwall’. Harry flipped it over to read the curling handwriting on the back. 

 

Hi, Sev!

 

Cornwall’s been absolutely brilliant. I’ve been out on the beach every day, and it’s so sunny that my nose is peeling. I’ve found the most lovely sea glass and shells on the shore - I can’t wait to show you when I’m back! 

 

I wish you were here with us. Mum and Dad want to come back next year, and I said that if Tuney’s allowed to bring her weird boyfriend along, I should get to take a friend. They seemed open to it, so fingers crossed! 

 

Best of luck with that Babbling Beverage adjustment. I’m sure you’ll work out the substitutions soon.

 

Love,

 

Lily

 

She wrote some of her letters the same way Harry did… he ran his fingers over the postcard reverently, then slowly looked up at Snape.

 

“These are from my mum,” he said softly, barely believing the words. For the first time in his life, Harry was looking at his mother’s handwriting.

 

“I - I know there aren’t many,” Snape said haltingly. “Lily and I mainly saw each other in person so we didn't write often, but I had a few letters that I thought you might like to -”

 

Any further words were cut off as Harry flung his arms around Snape’s neck and hugged him tightly. After the man had recovered from the shock, his arms came up to return the embrace.

 

“Thank you,” Harry whispered. “Thank you.”

 

After a moment he pulled away, feeling slightly embarrassed. He had just realised that he’d never actually initiated a hug with Snape before. The man in question didn’t seem to mind, though. In fact, this might be the happiest Harry had ever seen Snape. Not for the first time, Harry was struck by how different Snape looked when he wasn’t scowling at everything.

 

“It is my pleasure,” Snape said eventually. “If you need any context, I’ll do my best to fill you in.”

 

Harry looked down at the neatly stacked letters, and hesitated. These had to be precious, if Snape had kept them for all these years. As much as he desperately wanted to read them, they weren't his. “But are you sure? I shouldn’t - I can’t -”

 

“They’re yours to keep,” Snape said in a tone that beggared no argument. “You deserve them. After all, she is your mother.”

 

She’s my mum. Angry words he’d once spat at Snape, five months ago in a stuffy laboratory at Spinner’s End. How far they’d come since then… if Harry could have known at the start of August that he’d be sitting here and spending Christmas with Snape and Draco, he’d have never believed it.

 

And he’d certainly never have believed how happy two people he’d once despised could make him. 

 

For once in his life, as he stared around the room full of family and music, Harry felt truly content with the people he had. The loss of his parents and the cruelty of the Dursleys wasn’t smarting nearly as much as it often did, if at all. He had Snape, he had Draco, and it really was enough.

 

This was turning out to be his best Christmas ever. 

To be continued...
Sick Days by aspionage

After Christmas day, it was back to business as usual. Snape carried on with his punishing regime of Potions tutelage, while Harry continued to spend every morning feeling like his head was about to explode. He could very, very reluctantly admit that Snape’s miserable teaching methods were actually helping him learn something - Harry found himself more instinctually understanding the processes of brewing, at any rate - but those methods didn’t manage to cultivate an interest in Potions. Snape would need to be a miracle worker for Harry to suddenly start loving brewing. 

 

Afternoons were better, even if they were a little dull. Snape had continued with Harry’s Occlumency lessons, which mainly just involved him picturing the Quidditch pitch over and over while performing some sort of rhythmic breathing exercise. Harry didn’t want to admit it to Snape in case the man got cross, but he was becoming so bored of it. He felt like he was never going to progress into the more advanced, interesting Occlumency things…

 

Luckily for him, the days before New Year’s Eve, Snape sat down with Harry in his office and announced that they would be entering Harry’s mindscape.

 

“Really?” he said eagerly. “That’s brilliant! How are we going to do it?”

 

“Legilimency,” Snape said, steepling his fingers. 

 

“Oh, so the mind reading?”

 

“How many times do I have to tell you it is not mind reading?!” Snape huffed exasperatedly.

 

“Fine - the ‘subtle and exact art of entering the mind’.” Harry mimicked Snape’s low, dramatic tones and smirked. It was very funny how much the oversimplification annoyed Snape, whose glower had only intensified.

 

“I don’t know why I bother,” he muttered. After a moment dedicated to haughty derision, Snape continued on. “Yes, I will be entering your mind. You need to ensure your focus isn’t broken - clear your mind of all other thoughts but your visualisation of the Quidditch pitch. If you’re concentrating properly, your Occlumency shield will prevent a full-scale intrusion. We will find ourselves in the Quidditch pitch as you’ve pictured.”

 

“And if it doesn’t work?” he asked.

 

“We will just end up cycling through your memories until I end the spell.”

 

Harry gulped - that didn’t sound particularly pleasant. 

 

“You’ll have to keep your eyes open this time, and focus on the techniques I taught you,” Snape instructed. “I will enter your mind in a few minutes.”

 

Harry nodded and started with the breathing techniques, all while he pictured the Quidditch pitch, with its golden hoops, mountainous backdrop, the wind blowing through his hair…

 

He wondered when Snape was going to cast the spell. Harry had experienced Legilimency with Snape a couple of times now, and it had never actually hurt, but it did sometimes feel quite uncomfortable to have someone probing around your head. 

 

Could Draco do all of this yet? Harry knew he’d done Occlumency with Snape, too, but they’d never discussed it properly, which Harry was regretting now. Maybe that way, he’d have known what to expect, so when -

 

“Legilimens.” 

 

Harry, whose focus had completely crumbled, was dismayed to find that he could not recall the image of the Quidditch pitch with the clarity required. Instead, he rapidly found himself being dragged through a whirlwind of memories.

 

He was seven, trying to clean his bloodied nose with the edge of his shirt after Dudley had repeatedly pelted him with dodgeballs at school… He was sitting in the living room at Spinner’s End with a grouchy Draco, Monopoly money floating through the air… Uncle Vernon was tearing great clumps from his moustache, surrounded by a hurricane of flying letters… He was pressed against the back wall of a London alleyway, heart in his throat as Snape loomed over him -

 

“Harry?”

 

Harry abruptly came back to himself, and discovered that he was crumpled on the floor of Snape’s office. He must have slipped out of his chair during the Legilimency. With a slight wince of pain - his knee would definitely have a nasty bruise on it later - Harry pulled himself upright to face a visibly irritated Snape.

 

“In what universe was that supposed to be a cleared mind?” he snapped.

 

“You left it too long before you cast the spell!” Harry complained. “My focus just slipped a bit!”

 

“If your focus is slipping that easily, then you certainly won’t be able to maintain the level of concentration required after I cast the spell!” Snape said with a shake of his head. “You clearly need to practise some more before we progress."

 

“No!” Harry protested. He couldn’t bear to go back to the original lessons after things had just started to get interesting! “That’s not even going to help me anyway - I learn better from actually seeing stuff and trying it out! Besides, that was only my first time. Can’t I have another go?” 

 

“Fine,” Snape agreed begrudgingly. “But put more effort in this time - do not let your thoughts wander.”

 

Harry sullenly thought to himself that he had been putting in a lot of effort last time, but squared his shoulders and concentrated hard anyway. He thought of nothing - nothing, of course, but the Quidditch pitch, stretching out before him, the trees in the distance, the winking lights in the castle, the feeling of the wind on his body…

 

“Legilimens.”

 

The vague sounds of the dungeon vanished, to be replaced by the sound of the wind, the cool air on his cheeks, the unmistakable tang of snow in the air… gradually, the dungeon morphed into the features and surroundings he’d been picturing. Harry found himself standing in the Quidditch field as it currently looked, blanketed in a layer of crisp snow. He barely resisted the urge to let out a whoop of joy. 

 

“It worked!” 

 

“Well done.” 

 

Harry nearly jumped out of his skin at the sound of the voice behind him, strangely echoey for such an open space. He turned around and saw Snape was watching him from behind, an approving expression on his face. Still, something seemed… off. There was a pervasive sense of danger surrounding Snape, which Harry supposed had something to with the fact that the man was technically invading his mind right now. Something also felt wrong with his appearance, something that Harry couldn’t put a finger on for several moments. Then, he spotted it - Snape didn’t have a shadow. As soon as Harry noticed that detail, though, one seemed to sprout out of his feet. Odd. He found himself suddenly remembering the story of Peter Pan and Wendy, who had sewed Peter’s shadow back onto his heels when it had gotten separated from him -

 

“Concentrate!” Snape’s sharp admonishment brought Harry back to reality, and he abruptly realised the Quidditch pitch had turned hazy, like he’d forgotten to wear his glasses. As soon as Harry’s attention was returned to his surroundings, however, the whole place snapped back into focus.

 

“Even though we’re in here now, you still need to dedicate a portion of your concentration to maintaining your surroundings,” Snape said. “Otherwise, we’ll end up in the same situation we found ourselves in earlier.”

 

“Right,” Harry said, ensuring he thought hard about what his surroundings were supposed to be. “How are we here, not in your office? I still don’t get it.”

 

“Magic,” Snape said simply. “Occlumency draws on a wizard’s magic. It means that when a wizard Occludes, he draws both himself and the Legilimens into the surroundings and cuts off outside stimuli. It’s as if you’re actually there, excluding some minor discrepancies.”

 

Like the lack of shadows, Harry thought. There were a few other minor oddities in his surroundings, like a slight lack of detail in the tree leaves or on the lake’s surface, but all of them corrected themselves as soon as Harry paid conscious attention to them.

 

“Now, tell me again what developing a mindscape does for you,” Snape prompted.

 

"It acts as… as a concrete representation of my mind, right?" Snape nodded, and Harry ploughed on. “And when I'm focusing on it, it hides my memories and emotions." 

 

"Correct,” Snape said. “Because of that, using Occlumency techniques therefore helps you to control yourself in times of emotional turmoil. It means you can put your emotions to one side, to be dealt with at a later, more appropriate time. If you employ these techniques when you find your feelings getting out of hand, you won't have to take Calming Draughts so frequently.”

 

Harry grinned. "Brilliant.”

 

"But, as I have also informed you, the primary use of Occlumency is to protect yourself from mental attacks,” Snape added. "You are not yet at the level where you would be able to do this, but I still think it would be a good idea for you to advance to the point where you could resist a Legilimens."

 

“Really?" Harry tilted his head to one side. “Why?"

 

“Well, for one thing, it is certainly not ideal to leave your mind open to potential attack," Snape said. “Occlumency is a highly useful skill. Also, I found in Draco's case that you may be more likely to actually use the techniques I have taught you with more advanced training.”

 

"Draco can Occlude properly already?” Harry asked, feeling a tiny twinge of jealousy.

 

"Somewhat,” Snape replied, "and I am perfectly happy to teach you more, if you are willing?”

 

"Yes,” Harry said immediately. “Let's do it. Where do I start?"

 

Snape gestured to his side. “Walk with me." 

 

Harry followed Snape along the snowy pitch, ensuring the whole time that they remained in Harry's mind without being kicked out. As they travelled, however, Harry began to notice something rather odd. Every now and then, the blanket of snow was marred by a great, jagged crack, rather like what you'd see on a rocky cliff face. That was odd - why would the Hogwarts Quidditch pitch look like that? He certainly hadn’t been picturing it like this…

 

Harry stared at one particular crack, his footsteps slowing, and was even more confused when it stubbornly refused to disappear, no matter how much he tried to imagine it away.

 

"So… what's going on with this?" Harry asked, gesturing to the crack.

 

Snape examined it thoughtfully. "This is a problem faced by many who seek to learn Occlumency - the chinks in your armour, I suppose. That is how an intruding Legilimens would try to break through this mental defence.”

 

Harry frowned and tilted his head to one side, confused. "Really? But there's only a memory down there."

 

"And would I be right in assuming that it is a traumatic memory?" 

 

Harry’s brow furrowed. “I’m not sure. Anyway, how would I even check?”

 

"Look over the edge." Harry shuffled through the snowdrift and peered into the darkness. Gradually, images and voices began to swirl around him… 

 

"HOW DARE YOU, AFTER EVERYTHING WE'VE DONE FOR YOU! I USE MY HARD-EARNED MONEY TO PUT A ROOF OVER YOUR HEAD AND FOOD IN YOUR UNGRATEFUL MOUTH, AND YOU REPAY US BY -"

 

Harry jerked his head back with a gasp, and Uncle Vernon's voice cut off in an instant. Snape was watching him closely, concerned. "Well?"

 

"Er - yeah. Not a nice one." Harry's brow furrowed. "What's it doing here? Why isn't it buried like the rest of my memories?"

 

Snape grimaced. "Traumatic events tend to have a large impact on the psyche, particularly if you've tried to repress them. The memories manifest as physical blemishes on your mindscape.”

 

Harry gave the crack a deeply disgusted look. “I’m not traumatised, though.”

 

Snape regarded him for several, long moments. “As much as you may hate to admit it, Harry, the way you were raised impacts you and your mind. Just because you wish things were different does not make them so.”

 

Harry very intentionally avoided looking at Snape. He really, really didn’t want to think about this. “Back to the Occlumency stuff, then. These cracks ruin the shield? How?”

 

"Unresolved traumatic memories significantly impact you," Snape explained. "A potential invader will know this and pounce upon it. They will pull you into a difficult memory in an attempt to upset you, and if you find yourself unable to escape it, your mental defences will crumble, leaving the rest of your memories unprotected.”

 

Harry wrinkled his nose. "Am I just stuck like this, or can I do something about it?"

 

"Yes - you go through these cracks to address and resolve the memories instead of continually attempting to repress them like you have been," Snape explained. "And you practise pulling yourself out of the memory and returning to your mindscape. Practice will make it easier for you to resist during an actual attack.” 

 

"How?" he asked. “How can I get out of a memory?”

 

Snape frowned. "You just do it."

 

"What does that even mean?" Harry complained. “Explain it normally!”

 

"I am not quite sure how else to explain things…" Snape examined Harry for a long moment, expression contemplative. "You learn best through example though, is that correct?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"Then I suppose I ought to give you one." Snape's face grew rather grim and pinched. "We will observe a memory of mine so you can see how I pull myself out."

 

"But, er - wouldn't it be a traumatic one?" Harry asked nervously.

 

Snape nodded rather jerkily. "Yes."

 

"You don't have to do -"

 

"My mind is made up." Snape reached out a hand. "Come with me."

 

Harry tentatively complied. A moment after his hand met Snape's, he felt a strange tugging sensation in his gut, and the snowy surroundings faded in a whirl of white light. Harry found himself back on the sandy beach Snape had taken him to in order to explain mindscapes. 

 

Snape released Harry's hand and crooked a finger. Harry followed him along the shore, but they didn't go a very long distance before Snape came to a halt next to a small, jagged crack. He knelt down next to it, paused for a moment, shook his head and carried on walking. Harry watched on curiously, but didn’t dare to ask in case Snape needed to concentrate. 

 

They reached a second crack rather quickly, this one closer to the edge of the water. Unlike last time, Snape nodded after kneeling down next to it. "This should do." 

 

"Um… if you don't mind me asking - what's it of?" Harry asked hesitantly. 

 

"This is a memory of my father."

 

Harry felt an odd churning sensation in his gut. "Severus, you really don't have to show me, I know it’s personal -"

 

"You are already aware that I had issues with my father," Snape said briskly. "This is not new information - you will simply be witnessing a specific scenario. Now, when I place my face in the water, it will bring you with me, so brace yourself for what you may see. Keep in mind that nothing within the memory can actively harm us - you will simply be a viewer, unable to interact or be perceived. We’ll be inside for a minute at the most. Now, are you ready?"

 

Harry slowly nodded.

 

Snape hesitated for the briefest moment, then bent down and plunged his head into the pool. The beach dissolved into darkness.

 

The world came back into focus in a far more familiar location - the living room of Snape's house in Spinner's End. It felt strangely off, which Harry quickly realised was due to a difference in decor. The floor to ceiling bookshelves were gone, replaced with ugly, yellowing wallpaper and an old-fashioned television, playing a black and white clip of some angry, unfamiliar politician on the news. Harry didn't have much time to take in the difference in scenery, though; it seemed that this memory immediately went into action, and his eyes were instantly glued to the two people in the centre of the room.

 

There was a hook-nosed man, who bore a striking resemblance to Snape - if Snape had been slovenly, unshaven, and reeked of alcohol, that was. The man was using one hand to clutch onto an empty beer bottle and the other to shake his fist at a small, cowering woman. Her dark eyes glittered with fear as she shrank away from the man, who was spewing a stream of vitriol.

 

“-fucking useless, you know that?!”

 

"Please, Tobias -" 

 

"SHUT IT, EILEEN!" 

 

Tobias threw the bottle in his hand at the wall, shattering it into a million pieces. Even though he knew it was just a memory, and he knew nothing here could hurt him, Harry cringed back on instinct and bumped into Snape. He glanced up to the man, who barely seemed to have noticed the contact. Snape’s eyes were squeezed tightly shut. There was tension on his face, gradually fading in the familiar Harry had come to associate with him Occluding his emotions. 

 

Harry watched for a moment, fascinated, but quickly stopped paying attention to his guardian when Tobias struck Eileen hard across the face. She staggered back against the wall, an arm raised to shield herself. Tobias grabbed her wrist roughly and wrenched her arm against the wall, eliciting a pained gasp. There was another sound, almost inaudible amongst the fighting - a small whimper.

 

Harry glanced down to his feet, where the sound was coming from. He’d never have guessed that a dark-haired boy would be crouching half-hidden behind the sofa, watching his parents fight from between the gaps in his fingers. Tears were streaming down his cheeks, but he didn’t make another sound. He seemed afraid - terrified of being noticed by the furious Tobias, but simultaneously too scared to leave his mother alone with him.

 

The minute Harry realised who this had to be, he thought he might be sick. This could only be a young Snape, who he was hiding from his father the same way Harry used to hide from Uncle Vernon.

 

The parallel was striking.

 

"Toby -" Eileen tried.

 

"You're nothing without me, you know that?" Tobias growled, and his wife fell silent. "Can't work, can't cook or clean, sitting around here all day doing fuck all while I slave away in that ruddy factory! Why the hell do I put up with -"

 

But Tobias’ voice abruptly cut off, like he’d been muted by a remote control. Spinner’s End began to dissolve, and Harry was back on the beach. The fight was gone, far away. Harry watched the waves fizzle into foam on the shore, filled with a mixture of admiration and something else he couldn’t quite name. Seeing that memory had been awful, of course, but Snape’s reaction… seeing the way in which the man maintained his calm, Occluded, and left what had happened behind…

 

Snape always told Harry that he understood how it felt to be raised by people like the Dursleys, and after seeing that, Harry could truly believe it. Something strange twinged in his chest. Snape had gone through something very similar to what Harry had, but he’d made it out the other side. Maybe, just maybe, Harry would be okay in the end, too.

 

Snape was to his left, still crouched over the crack, long hair hiding his face. He remained motionless, even as Harry sidled up to him.

 

"Severus? Are you…"

 

"I am well." Snape got to his feet and shook himself. Harry got a glimpse of a pained expression before all evidence of emotion was slammed away. Harry almost felt like he should do or say something, but he was just lost for words. He wondered if this was how Snape felt trying to figure out how to speak to Harry about the Dursleys…

 

The man seemed very keen to move on from the whole thing, however, and Harry certainly wasn’t going to press. 

 

“Did you see how I brought us back here?” Snape asked.

 

Harry nodded. “You were doing whatever it is you do to Occlude.”

 

“I was utilising the techniques we discussed when we were first constructing your mindscape,” Snape reminded him. “Breathing, relaxing your muscles, imagery - you need to calm yourself, remind yourself that it’s just a memory, and bring yourself back to the mindscape by staying relaxed.”

 

"Right," Harry said. "Thank you - that has actually helped. Er - and, well, I know it was probably hard to go there -”

 

“Oh, you certainly aren’t the worst witness I’ve had in that memory,” Snape said darkly. “Compared to the Dark Lord, it was a walk in the park…”

 

Harry shivered. He didn’t know what he’d do if Voldemort started poking around some of the memories of the Dursleys. That must have been terrible for Snape.

 

"Would you like to give things a go in your mind?" Snape suggested.

 

“Wait, you’re giving me a choice?”

 

“I’m not going to force you to trawl through traumatic memories if you don’t feel ready,” Snape said.

 

“But I can’t learn how to truly Occlude unless I sort the cracks out,” Harry said. He felt something inside him deflate. “So any mind reader could see those memories and break my defences.”

 

“They aren’t called mind -” Snape cut himself off and exhaled loudly. “No. You would not be protected from mental attacks unless you learn to Occlude inside of these memories."

 

Harry weighed up the options. On the one hand, he knew that the memories he and Snape would be looking at would be rather unpleasant. Still, it couldn’t be any worse than actually being there the first time around, right?

 

And Harry really, really wanted to learn to Occlude properly. He certainly didn’t want Draco to be better at something than he was, for one thing, but Harry also knew how important it was for his mind to be protected. Snape’s brief comments about Voldemort invading his worst memories made Harry feel a little frightened. The idea of having him in there, tormenting Harry with his relatives, was far more unbearable than the idea of a far more sympathetic Snape helping him sort through some pushed-down memories that Harry probably ought to deal with anyway.

 

“Well… there’s no point in doing stuff halfway,” Harry said with a sigh. “Let’s go.”

 

Snape hesitated for a moment, then nodded. “We’ll go now. Close your eyes and picture your mindscape again…”

 

Harry did so, and heard the sounds of the ocean slowly melting away. When he opened his eyes again, they were back at the Quidditch pitch. 

 

Snape gave him an approving look. “You’re improving at that. Now, let’s go over to one of the impact points.”

 

He and Harry walked over to the nearest crack, and stared into its dark depths. 

 

Harry’s throat bobbed. “So there’s no way for me to know what memory’s down there?”

 

“No,” Snape said with a shake of his head. “Your mindscape isn’t advanced enough to specifically catalogue and examine memories - that would take an Occlumens years of practice to achieve.”

 

Harry wrinkled his nose and went back to staring at the crack. A horribly familiar tightness was beginning to build up in his chest.

 

“No one would think less of you if you aren’t ready to do this yet,” Snape said quietly.

 

Harry shook his head firmly, and that feeling of anxiousness was immediately replaced by determination. “No. I want to do this, I just need a minute.”

 

“Of course.” 

 

After a moment of trying to muster up the strength to get on with it already, Harry turned to Snape and bit his lip before speaking. “I don’t know if I can Occlude without you talking me through it -”

 

"I will walk you through the whole process," Snape promised. “Just be prepared to not find immediate success, especially since this is your first attempt. Go in whenever you’re ready.”

 

Harry exhaled loudly. “Okay.”

 

“Tell me if you want to leave at any point,” Snape said seriously. “And if I think it’s becoming too much, I will sever the mental link and we will return to my office.”

 

Harry nodded and took several deep breaths. He was admittedly very nervous, but tried to push it to one side. Snape had been willing to show him such a deeply personal memory to help him with this, and if Snape could do it, Harry could, too.

 

And, most importantly of all, he wouldn't be alone there. After a moment of bone-chilling anticipation, Harry stuck his face into the darkness.

 

Quickly, his surroundings clicked into place. They were at Number Four Privet Drive, standing in the downstairs hallway, and Aunt Petunia was walking down the stairs. Her blonde hair lacked its usual perfect curl, lying lank around her face, and there were dark, purple bruises under her eyes. She looked more miserable than usual.

 

Aunt Petunia was holding a syringe and a bottle of medicine in one hand, acrylic nails tapping rhythmically against the glass. Harry stared at her for a long moment, then realised with a surge of horror what he was about to witness.

 

"Bloody hell, did it have to be this?" he muttered, stomach twisting itself into knots.

 

Snape reached out and put a steadying hand on his shoulder. "Remember - it's just a memory. You can ask me to leave at any time. If not, remember to breathe. Picture the Quidditch pitch, and we will return there.”

 

Harry nodded and tried to focus on his breathing, which had quickened significantly. Snape’s hand was a grounding weight on his shoulder… he tried to picture the Quidditch pitch…

 

But just as he was about to shut his eyes to properly concentrate, Aunt Petunia roughly yanked Harry out of the cupboard under the stairs. His hair was messier than usual, and his eyes were overbright with fever. Harry wondered how it was possible that he could have ever been this small… 

 

Harry made to run, but Aunt Petunia grabbed him by the back of his oversized shirt and dragged him towards her. She forced him onto his back.

 

Harry made a small whimpering noise. "Aunty, please no -"

 

"Don't you dare start fighting me again!" she snapped. "You've kept us up for days with your crying, and I'm sick of you!”

 

"But I don't like it!"

 

"I don't care."

 

Aunt Petunia pinned Harry down with her knees and free arm, her horsey face twisted with dislike as she started moving the syringe towards Harry's face. He twisted his head away, but she grabbed him by the hair and pulled him forwards. Harry could still remember with painful clarity how much it had hurt his scalp… 

 

It's just a memory, he reminded himself as Aunt Petunia reached out with her free hand and pinched his nose shut. Just a memory, just a memory, just a memory… 

 

But with every passing moment, that distinction became blurrier and blurrier.

 

Little Harry struggled for a while, but eventually gave up and opened his mouth for a gasp of air. Aunt Petunia seized his moment of weakness to shove the syringe into his mouth. She pressed down on the plunger and clapped her hand over his mouth as Harry coughed - the awful medicine had hit him right in the back of his throat. Tears trickled down his face.

 

"Stop whining," Petunia muttered, digging her nails into Harry's cheek until he swallowed. "Or I'll give you something to cry about."

 

Just when Harry thought that he could bear it no longer, when he thought his chest might actually explode under a great and agonising pressure, Privet Drive abruptly vanished. All he could see now were Snape’s eyes, dark with intermingled fury and concern.

 

“I thought it best for us to leave,” he said softly. 

 

Harry didn’t respond. He opened his mouth fruitlessly for air that would not pass the boulder crushing his chest. 

 

“It’s fine,” Snape said levelly. He reached out and squeezed Harry’s wrist gently. “Take a look around - we’re back in the office.”

 

Harry moved his head and took in the sights, so fundamentally different to those on Privet Drive. He could see a desk, the fireplace, jars, bookshelves. The Dursleys had a lot of empty bookshelves - none of them were readers…

 

“Breathe, Harry.” Snape squeezed his wrist again, bringing Harry back to himself. “Do it with me.”

 

Harry obediently copied the rise and fall of Snape’s chest. At first it felt impossible - he kept making those awful, shallow gasping sounds that didn’t actually allow any air to enter his lungs. Eventually, though, the knot in Harry’s chest began to loosen, and his breathing evened out enough to match Snape’s. The gallop of his heartbeat slowed to more of a trot, and there was no longer a strange rushing sound in his ears.

 

When Harry had been calm enough to breathe properly for about two minutes, Snape placed a vial of Calming Draught in Harry’s palm. “I’d recommend you take that.”

 

Harry stared down at it and frowned. Normally, Snape didn’t give him a choice after he panicked like that… Harry was glad he’d not forced the Calming Draught for once. In a time like this, it would just remind Harry of that awful memory, and he was almost certain that even a Calming Draught wouldn’t have been able to stave off the panic attack which would surely ensue if something medicinal was forced down his throat right now…

 

And Snape had probably realised that. Harry grimaced, then reluctantly drank the potion. It settled over him like a heavy blanket, pressing away the last twinges of lingering anxiety. 

 

Snape sighed. “I should have realised this would be too much.”

 

“No!” Harry said quickly. “No - I still want to do this. I have to.”

 

“Even so, I don’t know if it’s a good idea -”

 

“I want to try,” Harry insisted. “I need to, even if it’s hard. It’s like you said - wouldn’t Voldemort being in there be worse? What if he comes back someday, and tries to force his way into my mind? I need to be prepared!” Snape looked like he was considering it, so Harry pressed on. “I’ll take a Calming Draught every time we do it - whatever you want me to do, I just want to try. I can handle this.”

 

Snape finally broke. “Fine. We’re done for today, though.”

 

Harry quickly nodded his assent. Even if Snape had allowed him to continue with the Occlumency lesson, Harry certainly wouldn’t have wanted to.

 

“You know,” Snape said slowly, “One way to make it easier to Occlude when you’re dragged into these memories is to talk about what happened.”

 

Harry made a disgusted face. “Yeah, no."

 

“You cannot keep ignoring all of this, Harry,” Snape said bluntly. There was a flash of frustration in his eyes. “I can count on one hand the number of times you’ve discussed your relatives with me since we returned to Hogwarts. I understand that you don’t want to, but if I am agreeing to continue Occlumency lessons with you, I am going to have to insist.”

 

Harry groaned and buried his face in his hands. “Of course you are.”

 

“I think I’ve been remarkably restrained since August in regard to the Dursleys, as a matter of fact,” Snape said pointedly. “I’m not oblivious - I can tell when you’re thinking about them, but you never end up speaking about it with me. It's not good for you to bottle it up.”

 

Harry continued to prop his head up with his hands as he stared at the floor, wondering when Snape had become so attuned to his body language.

 

“I know I should probably talk about it,” he admitted after a moment. “I remember what you were saying about how if I ignore things, then everything just explodes out at bad moments, and I know that happens to me… but I’m just not used to saying most of the things I’m thinking.”

 

“Would you be willing to start trying?”

 

“Er… I guess…” Harry frowned. “You won’t be all weird and dramatic about what I say, right?”

 

Snape scowled. “Since when have you known me to be overly dramatic about anything?”

 

Harry often thought that Snape was one of the most dramatic people he knew, and had the examples to back it up, but decided not to argue the point. He was quite decent and level-headed with things like the Dursleys, at least, and that was what was important. Besides, a small part of Harry actually wanted to talk about them. Snape said it would help, and Snape understood what it was like to grow up like that, so he would know. More than anything, that spurred Harry on.

 

“Um… that memory you saw is why I was being so fussy about the Hospital Wing earlier in the year,” Harry admitted. “Me and Dudley were like four, maybe five? Anyway, we both had ear infections, and Uncle Vernon was annoyed I kept waking him and Aunt Petunia up when I was crying, so she took us both to the doctor.”

 

Snape’s expression was gradually darkening, but he didn’t speak. Harry nervously pressed on. “Well anyway, we got prescribed those antibiotics. All I remember is that I really hated them. They’re the worst thing I’d ever tasted, all bitter and nasty. Aunt Petunia… well, she was really nice with Dudley when he had to take his doses, but by the time she got to me, she’d be really sick of it all so she’d just do… that. I hated it.”

 

“Many children would, presumably.” A muscle in Snape’s jaw was ticking. 

 

“I just remember how powerless I felt,” Harry said quietly. He wrapped his arms around his midsection. “That was what bothered me.”

 

Snape abruptly reached out and squeezed Harry’s shoulder. “And you realise how wrong such callousness was?”

 

“Yeah… still, though.” Harry trailed off, lost in thought.

 

“Nasty old cow,” Snape muttered. 

 

Harry turned to the man in disbelief, and to his surprise, actually ended up laughing. He’d never really heard Snape talk about someone so… ineloquently. It was strangely amusing.

 

“I must say, Harry, I am surprised by your determination to continue with the more advanced Occlumency lessons following that experience,” Snape said slowly. “May I ask why you’re still interested?”

 

Harry thought for a moment, and found his answer. “I just really don’t like that those memories have that much power over me, without me even realising it. I need to be able to protect myself if it comes to it, even if it’s hard. I know it’s an important skill, like you said - I want to be able to do it. I know I can, if I try hard enough.”

 

“That’s very determined of you,” Snape said. He gave Harry an approving nod, and he managed to muster a thin smile. 

 

“I think we ought to get on with other matters now,” Snape said, adopting a brisk, business-like tone. “It’s been a while since we last played chess, you know.”

 

Harry could see exactly what Snape was trying to do, and grimaced. “Severus, you don’t have to. I can just get on with something else.”

 

“Nonsense,” Snape said dismissively. “And, as you’ll recall, part of your punishment for the Hogsmeade escapade is to remain under my strict supervision, is it not? Consider this a part of that, if you must. Come along.”

 

For the first time during the whole of the Christmas holidays, Snape’s voice lacked a lot of the bite it had held whenever he brought up the Hogsmeade incident. Harry couldn’t help but feel a little relieved by that as he and Snape entered the living room without any more fuss on Harry’s part. Maybe he was finally being forgiven for the whole fiasco…

 

They exited through the hidden door in Snape’s office and entered the sitting room, where Harry was immediately met with the sight of Draco lying face-down on the sofa. Noticing their approach, he lifted his head and made a sad groaning noise.

 

"I'm dying," Draco proclaimed. 

 

"Shame," Snape said dryly. “That will be an awful lot of paperwork…”

 

"I really am, Severus. Look at the state of me!" Draco gestured limply to himself before sneezing four times in quick succession. He groaned again and hid his head under a pillow. 

 

Snape frowned and walked over. "You're ill?"

 

"I have the plague," Draco's muffled voice said. 

 

Snape briskly pulled the pillow off Draco's face, felt his forehead with the back of his hand and tutted. "Black cat flu's been going around. You must have caught it."

 

Harry frowned. "Black cat flu?"

 

"A wizard's flu," Snape explained. "The only difference between this and the Muggle ones you’ll be familiar with is that there is no magical cure. You just have to treat the symptoms and wait it out."

 

He pulled his wand from the sleeve of his robes and summoned several potions, which he forced upon the reluctant Draco.

 

"Merlin's beard, these are dreadful," Draco muttered, wiping his mouth and scowling. 

 

“Well, the hallucinations would be worse,” Snape said, vanishing the bottles with a flick of his wand.

 

Harry jerked his head around, alarmed. "Hallucinations? What kind of flu is that?!"

 

"A magical one." Snape vanished the empty bottles. "The difference between a magical disease and a Muggle one is that it attacks your magical core as well as your immune system. Without treatment, you can experience hallucinations, extremely high fevers, accidental magic, rashes…”

 

Harry shivered. "I don’t like the sound of that.”

 

"It’s really not fun," Draco muttered. “Ugh, I remember when I had Pixiepox when I was six, and it was awful… I thought there were rats crawling in through my windows…”

 

“You should go back to bed,” Snape said, helping Draco to his feet. “Harry, stay away from him so you don’t catch it.”

 

Harry nodded vigorously, and made a beeline for the sink to thoroughly wash his hands.

 

Unfortunately enough, it was a futile effort. The following morning, Harry woke up feeling like death warmed over. His entire body was clammy, his nose was simultaneously blocked and running, and his attempts to get dressed were punctuated by constant sneezes. Harry eventually managed to drag himself to the loo, splashed some cold water on his face, and staggered into the empty dining room. 

 

Snape was absent, as was Draco. He was probably too sick to emerge, Harry realised. Draco had spent most of the previous afternoon and evening periodically calling for Snape from his room, voice raspy and thin, and Harry was fairly certain he’d heard someone retching in the middle of the night. 

 

With a sigh, Harry collapsed at the table and struggled through his breakfast. It was no easy feat - every time Harry swallowed, it felt like razor blades were ripping open his throat. Still, it wasn’t like Snape would care. Breakfast wasn’t ever optional in their household, no matter what was going on. Harry groaned and leaned his head against the mercifully cool wood of the table. This was going to be a truly miserable day…

 

He'd just lifted his head again when a harried-looking Snape walked out of Draco's room. He ran a hand through his hair and sighed.

 

"Is everything okay?" Harry asked. “You look terrible.”

 

"Well, I haven’t slept much," Snape said ruefully. He walked over to the kitchen cupboard and pulled out the mug Harry had bought him for Christmas. "As I’m sure you’ve noticed, Draco is rather unwell.”

 

"Oh," Harry said softly, feeling a pang of sympathy. “Does he need the Hospital Wing?”

 

“Not for a flu - I’m perfectly capable of managing this without Madam Pomfrey’s aid.” Snape tapped the kitchen counter, and the mug was instantly filled with steaming coffee. He drank from it deeply for several seconds before speaking again. "Speaking of the Hospital Wing, the Hogwarts medicinal stocks are in desperate need of replenishment, so I ought to start brewing soon. I've left some ingredients out - I presume you can prepare them unsupervised while I look after Draco?”

 

Harry struggled against a grimace. Potions was the last thing he wanted to do when he was feeling this ill. He was in trouble, though. He supposed this was just a part of the punishment.

 

"Yeah, I can do it." 

 

"I'll be with you soon,” Snape promised, sweeping back in the direction of Draco’s room. 

 

Harry chewed on the inside of his cheek and watched his guardian leave. He wasn't entirely sure if he should mention how sick he felt or not. While he was fairly certain that Snape wouldn't be horrible about it, all of Harry's unpleasant childhood memories surrounding illness were hovering in the forefront of his mind after yesterday’s Occlumency lesson.

 

In the end, Harry decided that it just wasn't worth making a fuss. Really - Harry could handle a little bit of a flu! Besides, Snape had enough on his plate, between how sick Draco was and all those Hospital Wing potions he needed to get done. Harry would just fight through like he always did…

 

Although fighting through quickly became rather difficult as Harry stationed himself at a workbench and got started on chopping. His whole body felt hot and cold all at once, his eyes were bleary and oddly sticky, and his limbs felt like they were made of lead. All of Harry's ingredients were badly sized, and he knew that Snape was going to make him redo everything. He pressed his lips together, fighting back a groan of displeasure. He hated brewing… 

 

It was nearly an hour before Snape joined Harry in the laboratory, looking remarkably exhausted. The fact that he wasn’t even hiding that with Occlumency like he usually did meant that Snape really wasn’t himself. It all only solidified Harry's decision to just get on with things. Snape already had enough to contend with.

 

As the morning progressed, however, it became more and more difficult for Harry to hide the fact that he was ill. They'd been in the laboratory for barely twenty minutes, and Harry had probably sneezed about a dozen times. 

 

When the force of one particularly violent sneeze caused Harry to knock a root onto the floor, Snape finally looked up from his cauldron and frowned. "Are you quite alright?"

 

"Fine, fine, just got something up my nose," Harry lied. Snape stared at him for a long moment before returning to his cauldron. Harry rolled his aching shoulders and rubbed his eyes, woozy with exhaustion. Doing Potions for another moment, especially with someone as strict as Snape, felt like an impossible task. 

 

So maybe… maybe he should just tell Snape he wasn’t feeling well.

 

It went against everything Harry's instincts were telling him, but he did feel really poorly. If he said something, Snape could give him a potion and Harry would be able to get back to work and concentrate properly.

 

Snape wasn’t like his relatives, Harry reminded himself. He wouldn't be angry with Harry for being sick. He hadn't been angry with Draco, right? And besides, Snape was always going on at Harry about how he didn’t go to people when he was in pain, or when he was struggling with a problem. It wouldn't hurt to just ask, right? Even if he got cross, then Harry would know what reaction to expect in case of future illnesses…

 

He stared at the man contemplatively, trying to decide what to do, until the decision was made up for Harry when Snape noticed his unwavering gaze.

 

“Is there a reason why you’re ogling me?”

 

Harry hesitated. “If I tell you something, do you promise you won't be angry?”

 

Snape frowned. “I don't particularly like where this is going…”

 

“Well, I don't want to tell you now,” Harry muttered.

 

Snape threw his hands in the air, clearly exasperated. “Fine, then! What is it?”

 

“Er… could I have some kind of pain potion or something, please?”

 

The annoyance instantly turned to alarm, and Snape rose to his feet. “You're hurt?”

 

“No, I just have a sore throat,” Harry said quickly while Snape began to hurry over. “I think I've caught Draco's thing. It's fine, though, I can just get on with it -”

 

Snape had reached him by then, and he pressed the back of his hand to Harry's forehead. His eyebrows contracted. “You obviously have a fever. Why are you only just mentioning this to me?”

 

“I wasn't even going to say anything, you know,” he grumbled. Recalling their conversation from the day before about communicating things, Harry also admitted, “The Dursleys weren’t ever good about this stuff, so…”

 

Snape sighed, and his jaw became rigid with the same anger he’d displayed after witnessing Harry’s memories yesterday. “Well, thank you for eventually bringing this to my attention. Progress is progress, I suppose… now, you should be in bed.”

 

“It's fine!” Harry protested. “Honestly, I'm good at powering through -”

 

“Don't be ridiculous,” he said irritably. “You shouldn't be anywhere near a cauldron in this state. Go.”

 

Without further ado, he firmly took Harry by the arm and half-dragged him to his bedroom. Snape flicked his wand at the wardrobe and summoned a pair of pyjamas. “I'll be back in a moment with some potions.”

 

Harry quickly changed while Snape was outside. It was admittedly quite the relief to crawl back into bed when he was feeling this wretched. As promised, Snape returned with an armload of potions. Harry drank them down, with no small amount of coughing and spluttering. They tasted bitter, and gritty, and left a horrid film over all of Harry’s mouth.

 

“Those are properly grim,” he said, wiping his mouth to try and get rid of any residue. “God, what's in there, tar?”

 

“I highly doubt you want to know,” Snape said. “Did it help?”

 

He nodded.

 

“Good.” Snape sat on the end of Harry's bed and looked closely at him. “How long were you unwell before you told me? Don't lie - I'll know.”

 

“Since I woke up,” he admitted reluctantly.

 

Snape sighed. “In future, tell me when the symptoms start. As I mentioned to you yesterday, this is an illness of magic - if you’d left it much longer, you’d have become far sicker than you are. I highly doubt you want to spend days seeing and hearing things that aren’t really there while your magic repairs itself!” 

 

Harry glared at him. “You promised you wouldn’t have a go at me!”

 

“I am not doing that. I am trying to shake some sense into you,” Snape said rather sharply. After a moment, though, the irritation in his features softened. “Was there any other reason you didn’t say something?”

 

Harry sighed and leaned his head back against the pillows. “Well… you're kind of busy with Draco, aren't you? I didn't want to be a bother.”

 

Snape frowned. “Draco being sick does not magically cure you of your illness.”

 

“But I don't get to be sick,” Harry insisted. “I can get on with stuff while I'm ill, I always have -”

 

“If you don't rest while you're unwell, all you’ll do is cause more damage to yourself,” Snape interrupted. “There's nothing honourable about soldiering on - if you're sick, I expect you to come to me when your symptoms start, no matter what else you believe I have going on. I… I give you my word, I will never be angry with you for being unwell.”

 

Harry pulled a face and didn't meet Snape's eyes. He knew precisely why the man had tacked that last sentence on - both of them were surely thinking of the memory from his Occlumency lessons.

 

“Now, try and get some rest,” Snape instructed as he got to his feet and headed for the door. “If you need anything, you will come and ask me, yes?”

 

“I will,” he promised, pulling the covers up under his chin. 

 

“You’d better,” Snape said ominously, shooting him a sharp look before crossing the threshold.

 

Harry felt a little bit of the ache dissipate from his muscles as he relaxed against the mattress and let out a sigh of relief. Even though he probably could have struggled through a brewing session, Harry was still glad he didn't have to. Even though Snape had been ever so slightly scolding, it wasn't because Harry was sick, but because he hadn't told Snape about it. All in all, it was worth it for the potions to feel a bit better. After a couple of minutes, his eyes fluttered closed, and sleep claimed Harry.

 


 

When Harry woke, he discovered there were new depths to the pain he was feeling. His body ached all over, he was clammy, shivering and drenched in cold sweat, and there was a horrible churning sensation in his gut. As soon as Harry noticed it, his stomach contracted, and hot bile rose in his throat. Harry clapped a hand over his mouth and sprinted to the bathroom, and made it to the toilet just in time. Vomiting felt like torture on his sore throat, which had evolved into a sharp mass of constant pain while he slept. His head was pounding, his skin was covered in gooseflesh, and the icy cold bathroom was only making his shivers more violent. Harry gasped for breath as the retching stopped, hugged his midsection, and desperately willed the room to stop spinning. 

 

A hand suddenly came to rest on his shoulder, and Harry started rather violently. Snape had silently materialised within the bathroom.

 

“Are you alright?" 

 

Stupid bloody question, Harry thought grumpily. He glowered at Snape for a moment. Harry felt absolutely dreadful, and it had put him in a foul mood. He placed a hand to his pounding head and wiped his nose, which was running like a waterfall. When Harry realised that Snape was still watching on, he pulled a face.

 

“Sorry,” Harry rasped, voice hoarse and ragged. “This is all disgusting.”

 

“Don't even start with that,” Snape said exasperatedly. He reached into his pocket for a handkerchief and handed it to Harry. “I've been the Head of Slytherin for twelve years - I've seen it all. This certainly doesn't faze me.”

 

Harry, who still felt rather self-conscious, tried to get up on wobbly legs before he was hit with another wave of nausea. He crouched down again and retched, cheeks still hot with embarrassment. He wished Snape would just go away and leave him to it, but the way he had started to rub Harry's back in soothing circles was surprisingly helpful…

 

Once the vomiting stopped again, Harry rested his head on his arm. He didn't think he had the strength to leave the side of the toilet, even if it was so dreadfully cold in the bathroom.

 

“Evil flu,” he mumbled. “Evil, stupid, flu…”

 

“It is infamous for being a miserable illness,” Snape agreed. “Particularly, I imagine, since your immune system wasn't exposed to many magical ailments as a child."

 

“Ugh. I wish I was a Muggle right now,” Harry muttered.

 

“I can imagine.” Glass clinked in Snape’s pockets. “Here - drink this.”

 

Harry finally lifted his head to stare at Snape, aghast. “You’re mental!”

 

“It's a Stomach Soother,” he explained. “It will prevent any further vomiting.”

 

Harry’s stomach had already started to churn again. “Yeah, that's not staying down.”

 

“Trust me, it will. Drink.”

 

Harry didn't have the energy to fight any further, and was slightly annoyed to realise that Snape was right - after he drank the Stomach Soother he didn't feel like being sick anymore, and the pains in his stomach had eased slightly. Harry still felt like he was dying, but he'd take the small mercies…

 

He got to his feet on shaky legs and leaned heavily on the sink while he brushed his teeth to get the taste out of his mouth. Snape marked him closely, like some sort of ominous shadow. He appeared to be ready to grab Harry at any moment, which he could reluctantly admit wasn't that bad of an idea. He really didn't trust his legs to work right now, especially when they started the journey back to Harry’s bedroom and his knees almost gave out, forcing him to lean heavily on Snape for support. Harry crawled back under the covers and pulled them over his head, overcome by the desire to hide from the world. Snape tapped his shoulder through the fabric.

 

“You should drink some water,” he said.

 

Harry groaned and poked his head out. “Why are you always so obsessed with me drinking stuff?”

 

“In this case, it’s because I don't want you to become severely dehydrated.”

 

“Hmmph.” Snape handed Harry a glass of water, which he reluctantly sipped and placed on his nightstand.

 

“All of it,” Snape said firmly, picking up the glass and pressing it into Harry’s hand.

 

He shot Snape a truly withering look, but didn’t have it in him to disobey. Once he was done, Harry asked, “How's Draco?”

 

“About the same as you,” Snape said. “He had just fallen asleep when I heard you down the hallway.”

 

“Oh.” Harry grimaced. “Sorry.”

 

“If you do not stop apologising for stupid reasons, then I will actually start ‘having a go at you’, as you so eloquently put it earlier,” Snape said, his eyes narrowing dangerously. 

 

Harry, who sensed he was in troubled waters now, nodded vigorously. The last thing he wanted right now was another telling off. He pulled his duvet closer as another shiver wracked him. 

 

“Would you like another blanket?”

 

Harry nodded, and one was placed over him. Something strange and painful twisted in his chest at that affectionate motion. This wasn’t something Harry was used to at all. He couldn’t imagine Aunt Petunia or Uncle Vernon even noticing his discomfort, let alone doing something to alleviate it… Harry thought again of that long-ago ear infection and hugged himself with his arms.

 

None of that mattered now, Harry reminded himself. At last, things were different - he had Snape.

 

“Can you die of this?" Harry asked.

 

“At your age? No,” Snape said. “Black cat flu is only lethal when contracted by pensioners.”

 

“Are you sure?" Harry muttered. “If this isn't what dying feels like, I don't know what is… "

 

Snape waved his wand, and Harry’s desk chair flew across the room to the side of his bed. “Your mother felt similarly when she was in your position.”

 

“Wait, what?” Harry snapped to attention.

 

“One of her roommates' cats gave the black cat flu to half of Gryffindor Tower in our second year,” Snape explained, settling into the chair. “I visited her in the Hospital Wing a few times, and Lily’s illness had left her in high dudgeon. Every ten minutes, she vowed to send her cat after McKinnon’s to exact vengeance…”

 

“I didn’t know Mum had a cat!”

 

“I must have abstained from mentioning him - after all, the blasted thing despised me.” Snape scowled. “His name was Claudius. He bit, scratched, and had a strange knack for knocking inkpots onto my assignments and ruining them moments after their completion… we had something of a feud.”

 

Harry snorted. “He sounds like Crookshanks.”

 

“Granger’s cat?” Harry nodded. “Oh, it wouldn’t surprise me to learn they’re related. Claudius was just as ugly… Merlin and Morgana, that face haunts me. You know, I once saw Miss Granger’s familiar in the hallway, and I thought Lily’s evil cat had come back from the dead for the sheer purpose of tormenting me!”

 

Harry laughed, but after a few moments his chuckles turned into wracking coughs that made his throat burn and smart. Snape wordlessly conjured more water into Harry’s glass and handed it to him. He sipped it cautiously, then laid back while Snape continued speaking.

 

“I used to think it was just myself whom Claudius had it out for, but Professor McGonagall recently informed me otherwise,” Snape remarked, smoothing the covers over Harry’s shoulders as he spoke. “As you know, her Animagus form is a cat. Well, Claudius did not take kindly to Minerva’s presence, particularly when she was transformed. There was one particular occasion where Claudius had taken to breaking into Minerva’s office nightly, and no matter how many wards she put up, the confounded thing would always find a way to slip through and attack her. Lily defended that feline fiend vehemently, of course...”

 

Harry’s eyes began to slowly flutter closed as Snape’s quiet, even voice washed over him. He always loved to hear things about his mother, so much so that the stories Snape was telling helped him feel just the tiniest bit better. Harry couldn’t help but reflect on how nice it was to be looked after without being made to feel guilty. He laid there and allowed the continual stream of stories to lull him to sleep, grateful to at last have someone who cared.

To be continued...
Unexpected Company by aspionage

Spending most of New Year’s sick with the flu was certainly not ideal. Draco and Harry, who had originally been planning to stay up until midnight together to celebrate, were instead stuck in the throes of fever and sickness, and it was a good five or so days before either of them were well enough to surface from their beds.

 

Harry was still rather shocked by how accommodating Snape had been about the whole thing, actually. Since he wasn’t the most sympathetic or demonstrative of people, Harry had expected to be generally ignored or left to his own devices while he was unwell. To the contrary, Snape had actually gone to great lengths to look after him. He would check in on Harry every hour or so to see if he needed anything, or to coax potions or food into him despite his protestations. Sometimes, it left all left Harry feeling a little bit like Dudley, but Snape certainly didn’t fuss over him like Harry’s aunt tended to coddle his cousin. Snape was still his no-nonsense self, even if his general strict and focused demeanour was now switched to ensuring Harry’s recovery.

 

Once he was well enough to function again, though, Harry’s mind was focused on one thing, and one thing alone: Occlumency lessons. He practically had to beg on bended knee to convince Snape to give them to him again, especially after his bout of flu, but the man eventually caved, and agreed to spend the weekend before the spring term started at Hogwarts teaching Harry to escape his bad memories. It wasn’t an instant process - Snape kept having to pull Harry out to calm down when he was unable to manage it - but Harry liked to think he was getting a bit closer. So, on the morning of the day the Hogwarts Express would arrive back with all of the holidaying students, Harry found himself plunging into a great, dark chasm.

 

By now, it was growing familiar. 

 

They were in the hallway of Number Four Privet Drive, nearly a decade ago. Aunt Petunia was walking down the stairs with a bottle of medicine and an exhausted look on her face. Harry was locked away in the cupboard under the stairs, just four years old.

 

He squeezed his eyes shut, Snape’s hand firm and steadying on his shoulder. 

 

“Aunty, please no -”

 

“Don't you dare fight me again!”

 

Harry pictured the Quidditch pitch, trying to ignore the battle occurring just next to him. Tall, golden hoops, white snow, looming castle, the wind on his face… he lengthened his inhales and exhaled, stuttering past the tense knot in his chest, and thought hard of the Quidditch Pitch. Nothing else, not what was going on around him…

 

And the more he thought, the more Aunt Petunia's voice and his younger self’s sniffles faded. Eventually, the wind on Harry's face that he had been imagining became real, and he at last dared to open his eyes. Privet Drive was gone, and instead, he was on the Quidditch Pitch with one highly satisfied Snape.

 

Harry grinned, and pumped his fist into the air. “Finally!”

 

“Well done,” Snape said. His eyes glittered with triumph. 

 

Harry let out a delighted laugh and stared down at the crack. It seemed smaller than before, somehow. “I did it! I finally did it! Fourth time's the charm, I guess…”

 

Harry suddenly realised how weak and wobbly his knees felt, and staggered backwards. The pitch turned fuzzy and tilted, then dissolved entirely moments later, and Harry found himself back in Snape's office. It was just as out of focus as the pitch, and was also spinning in a rather nauseating fashion. Harry had to grab heavily onto the arms of his chair for support. Once everything had stopped swirling around him so aggressively, he saw Snape sliding a packet of biscuits and a glass of water across the desk to him.

 

“Here.” Snape gestured to the items. “That kind of magic is highly draining - the food will help.”

 

Harry picked up a biscuit and bit into it, only to realise that he was absolutely ravenous despite lunch being less than an hour ago. Once he’d scoffed about half the packet, Harry finally had it in him to speak again.

 

“Why’d my mindscape disappear?” he asked. “Did you take us out?”

 

Snape shook his head. “As I said, what you just did was incredibly exhausting. You didn’t have the mental or magical energy to sustain your Occlumency shields any longer."

 

“Oh.” Harry took another bite of his biscuit. “So how do I improve that?”

 

“Practice,” Snape said. “It’s rather like training a muscle - this takes time. We will repeat the exercise you just completed with other memories, and you will eventually find yourself able to maintain the mindscape under even the most stressful of circumstances.”

 

Harry wrinkled his nose. “So I have to go through more nasty memories?”

 

“Indeed. This is not a one and done exercise - you will need to practise.”

 

Harry sighed. “Alright.”

 

He couldn’t feel too put out about it, though. After all of that struggling, he was finally able to Occlude that memory of Aunt Petunia, after all. If he could manage that, Harry was sure he could deal with whatever else his mind had to throw at him.

 

“That will be all for today,” Snape announced. “And once again - congratulations.”

 

Harry couldn’t help his grin as he exited the man’s office. Everything seemed to be looking up. Not only was his Occlumency finally coming together, but he was also being released from his grounding after the Hogsmeade incident as of today. Harry was planning to spend the late afternoon in Gryffindor Tower with his friends after they arrived on the Hogwarts Express. It would be good to see Ron and Hermione again after the long Christmas break.

 

He walked into his bedroom and saw Draco waiting for him, a marked-up essay sitting in his lap.

 

“Took you long enough,” he complained. “I’ve been waiting ages to ask you about that Defence homework… and what are you so happy about, anyway?”

 

“I finally pushed Snape out of my bad memories,” Harry beamed.

 

“Oh. Well, I suppose for you that would be a success,” Draco said, lifting his nose up haughtily. “Of course, I managed that at the start of October…”

 

“Well bully for you,” Harry grumbled, some of the smile fading from his face. “Besides, I didn't even start lessons until December, you prat.”

 

“Git,” he shot back.

 

Still feeling too satisfied with himself to fight properly, Harry decided to steer the conversation to happier matters. “So, what’s your mindscape of?”

 

“A forest near Wiltshire,” Draco explained. “Lovely place. It’s full of magical creatures, and all sorts of gorgeous trees… I’ve not been there since the Manor burnt down, of course, but I always did enjoy spending time there. I’d love to go back someday…”

 

“I’d like to see that, I think,” Harry remarked. “It sounds nice.”

 

“Well… maybe you could do it now,” Draco said thoughtfully. “If Severus can use Legilimency to go into our heads, surely you could do that with me?”

 

Harry frowned. “I don’t know how to cast the spell, though…”

 

“Well, we know the incantation,” Draco pointed out. “Legilimens. It’s all about willpower, if I’m not wrong, so just focus really hard on trying to get into my mind, and it’ll happen."

 

“Okay…” 

 

Harry still wasn’t sure if he could pull this off, but he wasn’t opposed to giving it a go. Besides, he was feeling rather confident after that successful Occlumency lesson. How different could Legilimency be, anyway?

 

Harry got his wand out and lowered himself to the rug at the base of his bed, so he was sitting cross-legged in front of Draco. They were so close that their knees were touching.

 

“Ready, then?” Harry said.

 

“Go for it.” Draco smiled. “Maybe if this goes well, I could show you other memories - like some places in Malfoy Manor.”

 

“Sure.” Harry tried to look more enthusiastic than he actually felt. He wasn’t sure how interested he was in seeing a Dark Magic infested house, but knew it wouldn’t be wise to say something like that around Draco.

 

He took a deep breath and stared straight into Draco’s grey eyes. “Legilimens.”

 

It felt remarkably like the time Aunt Petunia had swung a frying pan at Harry’s head. There was a cacophonous clanging within his skull, accompanied by sharp pains that shot down the back of his neck and through his jawbone. Harry cried out from the agonising sensation, squeezed his eyes shut and clapped his hands over his ears to try and block out the sound, but it didn’t work. After all, the noise was coming from inside of his head. A few moments later it all quietened, but he was left with a sharp throbbing pain in his temples, like his brain was suddenly too big for his skull and was trying to shove its way out. Harry moved his hands from his ears to his eyes, which suddenly felt as though they would be popped from their sockets from the immense pressure inside of his head.

 

Harry suddenly realised he was now lying on the floor. The shaggy rug at the base of his bed was pressing up against his cheek, and his glasses were digging into the side of his head. Harry tried to open his eyes, then immediately shut them when the blinding light around him made the pain turn stabbing again.

 

Draco groaned loudly. “What did you do?!” 

 

“Shhh,” Harry mumbled. The volume of the other boy’s voice was hurting him badly.

 

That pain became worse as someone wrenched open his bedroom door and thudded across the floor like a thunderous giant. “What the devil are you two doing?!”

 

Harry and Draco both cried out in tandem at the sound of Snape’s painfully loud voice.

 

“Answer me!” Snape’s tone was low and dangerous. 

 

“Harry tried to Legilimise me so I could show him my mindscape, but it all went wrong,” Draco muttered.

 

“Well that was a stupid thing to do, wasn’t it?!” Snape snapped.

 

“Ow, ow, ow,” Harry said, clapping his hands over his ears again.

 

“What were you thinking, practising a spell like that unsupervised?” he ranted. “Most seventh years couldn’t even manage Legilimency, you idiot boys!” He grabbed Harry’s arm and hauled him so he was sitting upright, then pressed a vial into his hand. “Drink.”

 

Harry gagged slightly as he tried to choke down the foul-tasting potion, all while Snape continued to rant. “What on earth would possess you to do such a foolish thing? Yet again, you are both proving to me that you have no understanding of personal safety! The first thing you’re taught at Hogwarts is not to practise new spells unsupervised - I wasn’t aware that I was dealing with two eleven-year-olds, fresh off the Hogwarts Express!”

 

Harry finished drinking the potion and at last managed to open his eyes. Both light and sound still made his head ache horribly, but it wasn’t debilitating like it had been a minute ago. Unfortunately, he now had to look at the ill-tempered Snape while he continued to lecture.

 

“In fact, even eleven-year-olds display more caution than the two of you have! Draco, I know for a fact that you were taught not to experiment with magic by the age of five!” he seethed. “And Harry - after the conversations we’ve spent the last few weeks having about impulse control, I’d have expected better of you!” 

 

Draco cradled his head in his hands, face screwed up with pain. “Believe me, Severus, this headache is making me learn my lesson…”

 

“I should hope so,” Snape said severely, drawing himself up to his full height. “I also hope the two foot essay on Legilimency you’ll be submitting to me before Thursday will also drive that point home…”

 

Harry and Draco both groaned simultaneously.

 

“Don’t,” Snape said angrily. “I don’t want to hear any complaints. Now, the only thing for the headache is rest - a few hours in a dark room, and you’ll be back to normal. Do not do a thing like this again!”

 

He jabbed his wand at the ceiling, and the light in the room dimmed. Now, there was only the dim and murky lakelight casting strange, dancing shapes across the room. Snape flurried out a moment later, leaving Harry and Draco lying on the floor.

 

“I blame you,” Draco muttered.

 

Harry grabbed a slipper from under his bed and hurled it at him. “It was your idea, arsehole!”

 

“I’m sure I wouldn’t have screwed up the spell,” Draco drawled. “For someone who’s supposedly the saviour of the magical world, you are a staggeringly mediocre wizard…”

 

“Shut up,” Harry muttered. He got to his feet, crawled on top of his duvet and pressed a pillow over his head. “Go into your room, or be quiet.”

 

So, instead of spending the afternoon reuniting with his friends, Harry instead wasted the day lying in dead silence in a darkened room with Draco, trying and failing to take a nap until the worst of the headache receded. By the time Harry’s had faded to a slight tension lingering in his temples, it was almost five o’clock, and far too late to ask Snape to walk him up to Gryffindor Tower. Instead, Harry and Draco settled in the living room with a deck of Exploding Snap. Their irate guardian had locked himself away in his office.

 

“He really goes off on one when he hits his stride, doesn’t he?” Harry whispered, jerking his head in the direction of Snape’s door. “Bloody hell…”

 

“Two feet!” Draco said indignantly. “On something as dry as Legilimency, too… It wasn't like anything really bad happened! Merlin’s beard, sometimes I really wish Severus would just pull that stick out of his -”

 

Draco abruptly went quiet as Snape’s office door burst open. Harry cringed as a scowling Snape observed them, certain the man had overheard their griping…

 

But if he had, Snape didn’t comment. Instead, he simply gestured to the interior of his office. “Harry. A word?”

 

He slowly got to his feet and walked over to Snape, who stalked back inside of his office. To Harry’s shock, Ron and Hermione were standing together in front of Snape’s desk. Both of them looked slightly pale, although Ron’s ears had gone red in the way that let Harry know he was particularly annoyed about something.

 

A purse-lipped Snape gestured to Harry. “Miss Granger and Mr Weasley seem to require assurances that you have not been chained to a post within a dark, festering dungeon. Does this evidence satisfy you two, hmm?”

 

He shot a glare at Ron and Hermione, the latter of whom nodded vigorously. “Yes, sir.”

 

She sharply elbowed Ron, who looked like he was about to protest.

 

“Er… hi,” Harry said tentatively. “Happy New Year.”

 

“Hello,” Hermione said, shooting an anxious look over Harry’s shoulder to where Snape was still lingering, glowering at everyone with particular vim and vigour. Harry wondered if he was still annoyed over the Legilimency gone wrong, or if this was just Snape putting on his teacher front around students. 

 

“Hey, mate,” Ron said, equally as nervous. “So… you’re alright, then?”

 

“Yeah?” Harry frowned. “Why wouldn’t I be?”

 

Ron shot a suspicious look in Snape’s direction. He let out a loud, audible sigh. “Harry, feel free to continue this conversation in the living room. I have work to do.”

 

“They’re allowed inside?” Harry said disbelievingly.

 

“Yes. You do live here, after all.” Snape pointed a finger towards the interior door of his office, which led into his quarters. “You have one hour - I’d rather not spend my last evening of rest minding students. Do not interrupt me unless there is threat to life or limb.”

 

“Er… okay. Follow me, then,” Harry said to Ron and Hermione, feeling remarkably unsure of himself. Ron looked like he’d rather eat nails than enter Snape’s living quarters, but a sharp look from Hermione seemed to spur him on. The moment they crossed the threshold, Snape immediately shut the door to his office. Ron stood with his jaw slack, staring around in the same way Harry imagined he had when he’d discovered Snape didn’t live in a dark, damp cave. Harry opened his mouth to speak to his friends, but instead found himself getting a mouthful of bushy brown hair as Hermione flung her arms around him.

 

“Hermione! You’re strangling me!” Harry gasped.

 

“We were so worried!” she said, pulling back to look him over carefully. 

 

“Why?” Harry asked, nonplussed.

 

“What do you mean, ‘why’?” Ron said, crossing his arms. “The last time we saw you, Harry, you were tearing out of the Three Broomsticks after what the Minister said about Black!”

 

Harry started at the throwback to such an unpleasant memory. It felt like it had been such a long time since the events of Hogsmeade had transpired… of course, Ron and Hermione wouldn’t know anything that had transpired since. 

 

“Then, next thing we know, we came to check on you here the morning after and Snape almost bit our heads off!” Ron said indignantly.

 

“Oh. Right.” Harry winced. “Yeah, he wasn’t in the best of moods that day, since he caught me on the way back from Hogsmeade - don’t say ‘I told you so’, Hermione.”

 

“I wasn’t going to,” she said sniffily. “I just wanted to say - well, we both wanted to say that you shouldn’t go and do something stupid.”

 

“Like what?”

 

“Like go after Black,” Ron said firmly. “You won't, right?”

 

“You mustn’t,” Hermione added insistently. “Because Black isn’t worth dying for.”

 

Harry had quickly started to realise that they must have rehearsed this conversation on the train. He pulled a face, but before he could come up with a response, a drawling voice came from the direction of the bedrooms. “Don’t bother, you two. Professor Snape and myself have already talked Harry out of anything foolish…”

 

Harry turned around and saw Draco sauntering into the living room, a novel tucked under his arm. In the time it had taken for Harry to welcome his friends into the dungeons, Draco had somehow managed to shake off the frazzled look of someone who had spent the afternoon recovering from a spell-induced migraine and was perfectly put together. Harry, who never could work out how the poncey git managed it, scowled to himself.

 

“Malfoy?” Ron said sharply. “What are you doing here?”

 

“I live here, Weasley?” Draco shot Ron a withering look, which the other boy promptly returned. Harry, who didn’t want all of the newly-forming goodwill between Draco and his friends from Christmas to disappear in one tense conversation, hastily tried to come up with a redirection.

 

“Why don’t we all sit down? All of us,” he said, looking closely at Draco. “We would love for you to join us, wouldn’t we?”

 

Hermione hesitated for a moment, then a look of resolution crossed her face. It was the same expression Hermione always got when she made her mind up about something, and wouldn’t be dissuaded in any way. As the four of them walked over to the sofa in awkward silence, she was the first one to speak.

 

 “I had been meaning to ask you about the Arithmancy problems Professor Vector set, Malfoy,” Hermione said hesitantly. “Now, I know she said we’re supposed to use Brocker’s method for the last problem, but I’ve been reading ahead a little, and I feel like Yeoman’s would be far more applicable…”

 

Harry stared at her, feeling like he was missing something. Hermione, asking for help with homework? He’d never seen her do that before, particularly from the likes of Draco… perhaps this was her way of making conversation.

 

Draco nodded slowly. He seemed completely shocked that Hermione had addressed him at all. “Yes, I saw that ahead in the textbook. I think, given the context, we could use it, but you might want to check with the professor.”

 

“Oh, I’ve already done it both ways,” Hermione said with a shrug. "I was just wondering what you thought."

 

“Both?” Draco said incredulously. “Merlin’s beard, how much time do you have on your hands?”

 

“Do you have any clue what they’re talking about?” Ron whispered, leaning over to Harry.

 

Harry shrugged. “Living here means you get pretty used to people talking about things you can’t really understand. You should hear the conversations he and Severus have…”

 

“Severus?!” Ron said in a scandalised voice. He looked as if he was sucking on a lemon.

 

“It’s not that weird!” Harry protested, gently elbowing Ron in the side. “He is my guardian, you know. He thought it would make more sense for me to stop saying ‘professor’ all the time.”

 

For some reason, Ron still looked rather put out about something. “Look, mate - is there somewhere in here I can talk to you? Privately?” 

 

He shot a pointed look at Draco, who was now deeply focused on the unintelligible Arithmancy conversation he was having with Hermione.

 

Harry sighed, wondering what Ron had a problem with now. “Follow me. We can talk in my room.” 

 

He led Ron out of the living room and into the bedroom, where he shut the door and faced his friend. “Yeah?”

 

Ron shuffled his feet. “I know I promised to leave it, and I really will, but - well, every time I’ve seen Snape recently, he’s been in a rotten mood. Are you sure you’re alright with him?”

 

Harry groaned loudly. “Yes! Bloody hell, Ron!”

 

“I just get -”

 

“Worried. I know.” Harry looked closely at Ron. “You really don’t have to be.”

 

“You didn’t see him on the last day of term, okay?!” Ron snapped. “Hermione and I came to see how you were, and he wouldn’t even let us see you! All Snape would say is that ‘Potter can survive two weeks without his little fan club’, and then he slammed the door in our faces! For all I knew, he’d chopped you up for Potions ingredients!” 

 

“Oh.” Harry frowned as he mulled Ron’s words over. He remembered Snape saying on the first day of the Christmas holidays that he’d reassured Harry’s friends that Harry was alright… perhaps he’d not actually been as reassuring as he’d implied.

 

“You just keep catching him on bad days,” Harry said eventually. “He was super, super annoyed over the Hogsmeade stuff in December, and today me and Draco annoyed him because we were practising magic behind his back.”

 

Ron pulled a face. “Yeah, that would do it. Fred and George tried to Transfigure Percy into a canary over the holidays, and Mum almost screamed the house down..."

 

Harry snorted. “See? He’s just a normal guardian.”

 

“Alright…” Harry could tell that Ron was staying quiet so he didn’t start a row, but his face was still lined with the clear signs of residual worry.

 

“If there was really a problem, I’ll tell you,” Harry insisted. “You’ve just seen a lot of bad sides to him - Severus isn’t bad to be around, normally. He was practically fluffy around Christmas, actually…”

 

Ron, who appeared to be struggling with the act of reconciling Snape with the word ‘fluffy’, stared at Harry with his mouth agape.

 

“Maybe don’t tell him I said that,” Harry added after a moment. He couldn’t imagine Snape would enjoy such a blow to his stern image. “But if I need you to fly a Ford Anglia through my window, I’ll tell you.”

 

That got Ron to smile a little - he looked around Harry’s bedroom with an expression of interest. “It’s a bit empty in here, considering it’s your bedroom and all! Why haven’t you decorated?”

 

“Er…” Harry faltered, and realised that he wasn’t actually all that sure why he hadn’t. “Dunno.”

 

“Does Snape get weird about it, or -”

 

“No,” Harry said quickly. “Draco’s got a bunch of decorations up in his room, so…”

 

“At least stick a poster up in here or something!” Ron said, gesturing to a blank space on the wall. “Maybe it’ll feel less like a dungeon with a nice Chudley Cannons poster on the wall.”

 

Harry snorted. “You’re not gonna stop until my room’s as orange as yours, are you?”

 

“Of course not.” Ron grinned. 

 

Harry smiled back, but his eyes were fixed on his trunk. He’d been living with all of his stuff safely secured in there, like he had been at Spinner’s End and like he always did at his relatives’. Harry’s smile quickly turned to a grimace as he made the connection for just why he was doing that. He’d never dare to put up anything relating to his life in Dudley’s second bedroom, after all; for one thing, it wasn’t Harry’s room in the first place, and for another, the Dursleys would rather not have any signs of Harry’s continued existence in their house.

 

As Harry continued to take in the bare expanse of what he called a bedroom, he felt strangely overwhelmed. He knew that Snape wouldn’t be bothered about Harry decorating - he’d probably be rather pleased, as a matter of fact - but Harry didn’t even have the faintest clue where to start with something like that…

 

Ron nudged his shoulder. “You alright, mate? You look lost in your own world, there.”

 

Harry fiercely shook himself. “Yeah, I’m fine. Don’t worry. Er - I couldn’t take you up on that Cannons poster offer, could I?”

 

“I’ll lend you my spare,” Ron promised. “It’s a bit ripped in the corner, but if you stick it on right it’ll look fine.”

 

“Thanks,” Harry said gratefully. 

 

Ron looked like was going to respond, but both of them fell silent at the sound of gradually climbing voices in the clear midst of a growing argument.

 

“We should probably make sure they haven’t killed each other,” Ron said, making a beeline for the door.

 

“Draco wouldn’t do anything!” Harry protested.

 

“I’m more worried about what Hermione might do to him, actually,” Ron said, pausing in place and raising an eyebrow. “All those extra classes are driving her barmy - you should have seen her on the train earlier! Any time I interrupted her homework, she practically attacked me!”

 

“I really think she needs to cut down.” Harry dropped his voice to a whisper as they exited his room.

 

“Agreed - but there’s no telling her that…”

 

As Harry and Ron made their way into the living room, he couldn’t help but be shocked by the sight he saw before him. Harry wasn’t sure what he’d been expecting - either Draco to have called Hermione a nasty name, or for Hermione to have somehow rubbed Draco the wrong way with one of her all-knowing comments.

 

Whatever he’d been expecting, it certainly hadn’t been Hermione and Draco shouting over a bunch of floating numbers.

 

“For heaven’s sake, Malfoy, it’s basic mathematics!” Hermione said furiously, gesturing to a floating triangle. “You’re supposed to use Pythagoras for polygonic Arithmancy, or all you’re doing is messing about with numbers with no magical properties!”

 

“And I’m saying that you need to find out the square root of each of the sides before you can start calculating anything with Pythagoras’ theorem!” Draco said, eyes flashing. “You’ve read Numerology and Grammatica, I would assume? Your shoddy calculations would suggest otherwise!”

 

“You wouldn’t know mathematics if it hit you over the head with a -”

 

“STOP!” Harry shouted, and both Draco and Hermione fell silent. Both of them clearly hadn’t realised that he and Ron had re-entered the room. “Am I being completely stupid, or are you guys arguing about maths?!  Bloody hell!"

 

“It’s more than maths,” Hermione said haughtily. “For someone who has a firm grasp on Arithmantic technique, I cannot possibly understand how Malfoy’s coming to the conclusions he is…”

 

“Because it’s all up for debate, Granger!” Draco said furiously. “Merlin and Morgana, even Bridget Wenlock herself couldn’t work all of this out before she died!”

 

“Well, I suppose you’ll just have to work harder to persuade me to your side,” Hermione said, jutting her chin out. “If you can somehow manage to formulate anything close to an argument, let me know.”

 

“Oh, I will,” Draco muttered, flicking his wrist so that the floating numbers in the air crumpled into dust. Harry looked in between him and Hermione with his forehead wrinkled, having scarcely understood even five percent of the conversation he’d just witnessed. Still, he somehow felt that Draco and Hermione had come to an agreement over something… about homework, of course, but what else could you expect with Hermione involved?

 

“Would the two of you mind talking about something we can actually understand?” Ron complained. “Say, did the two of you catch the Quidditch World Cup qualifying games?”

 

“Of course!” Draco’s eyes gleamed, and he leaned forwards slightly. Hermione audibly sighed, muttered something that sounded an awful lot like ‘boys’, then buried her head in one of the Arithmancy books she and Draco had been bickering over.

 


 

In the end, Hermione and Draco’s argument was not the sole one of the night - Harry’s friends all got into no less than five rows, ranging in topic from Quidditch teams to whether or not Muggles or wizards discovered chocolate. Harry was exhausted when dinnertime came around and it was time to send his friends away, but despite all that, he still felt quite determined to continue his campaign for Draco to get on with Ron and Hermione. After all, Harry fought furiously with Draco on any given occasion, but still considered the other boy to be as close as a brother. Draco, as a rule, was just a generally abrasive and argumentative person, and Harry didn’t think he was one to talk when he bickered with Draco like it was an Olympic sport. 

 

Perhaps Harry could invite Ron and Hermione back for a game of Monopoly some time. He grinned at the prospect.

 

As he said his goodbyes to his friends in the corridor, the snake portrait guarding the entrance made a noise of disgust. “Look at you, letting more students weave in and out of this place! Has no one ever taught you the concept of security, young man? You’re practically making me redundant! We might as well open the Housemaster’s doors to the entire school!”

 

“Oh, stuff it, you,” Harry said irritably. “It would do us all a fat lot of good if you did go out of commission, anyway…”

 

“I beg your pardon?” The highly affronted snake spat. Its ruffle flared, and its fangs were exposed. “You know, I am growing very sick of your constant insolence!”

 

“Cope.” Harry rolled his eyes.

 

“Harry, please stop riling up the portrait,” Snape said from behind. 

 

Harry jumped. “Oh. Er, hi, sir.”

 

“Severus,” he corrected lightly. Snape looked between Harry and the portrait, and arched an eyebrow. “Is this why Asclepius has taken to entering the twin portrait in my bedroom and hissing endlessly, an event that always seems to coincide with you either entering or exiting my quarters?” 

 

Harry winced. He hadn’t realised the snake had been doing that… or even that the snake had a name. He was too busy arguing with it to make polite conversation.

 

“I suppose I ought to take that as a yes,” Snape said with a shake of his head. He headed through the doorway, Harry following, and the portrait slid shut. “What are you saying to get him into such a state?”

 

“Nothing,” Harry lied. “He just really has a problem with me…”

 

“Clearly.” Snape stopped walking and looked at him closely. “Well, at least you seem to be better acquainting yourself with your Parseltongue powers. I still recall the shocked look on your face after the events of the Duelling Club last year…”

 

Harry gave Snape a disapproving look - he was conveniently not mentioning how he’d given Draco the spell to conjure up that very snake! Still, for the sake of maintaining the peace, Harry didn’t argue the point.

 

“I didn’t even know what I was doing was Parseltongue until the Duelling Club, actually,” Harry said, flopping back onto the sofa. “Well, I suppose I did know, but I just thought it was something all wizards could do. I’d spoken to snakes a couple times before - there was a python in a zoo that I set on my cousin, actually…”

 

Draco looked up from his book and snorted. “I’d have killed to see that.”

 

“Well, if you do care to speak with Asclepius again, could you inform him to stop awakening me every time the Bloody Baron floats past?” Snape asked. “He’s supposed to alert me to errant students wandering the halls, not ghosts.”

 

“Sure,” Harry said, even though he doubted that the snake would ever listen to anything he had to say, even if it came directly from Snape.

 

“Did you enjoy the visit with your friends, then?” Snape asked, sitting down next to Harry.

 

“Yeah,” he said, “but I was a bit surprised you let them in here.”

 

“As I said, this is your home, too,” Snape reminded him. “If you must stay here instead of in Gryffindor Tower, it occurred to me that you might prefer to spend more time with your friends… and perhaps I am holding out hope that Granger and Weasley will stop their continued conspiracies about my mistreatment of you if they can view your living situation for themselves.”

 

“Right.” Harry frowned at him. “You know, it might help if you don’t have a go at them every time they’re near you - Ron told me what you said to them on the last day of term! I thought you said you’d reassured them I was fine or something!”

 

“As Weasley and Granger had decided to aid your Hogsmeade escapades, I wasn’t exactly pleased with them, either,” Snape said icily.

 

“They weren’t aiding me!” Harry said indignantly. “I went by myself, and it’s not like they were going to grass me up once I got there.”

 

“So your friends should instead act as useless bystanders to your dangerous behaviour,” Snape said, face darkening into a scowl. “I’m sure you can imagine how pleased I am at that prospect…”

 

Harry sat back and sighed, since he knew he and Snape were never going to agree here. Harry still was quite unhappy about the Hogsmeade ban, even though he’d never dare venture into the village without permission again after everything.

 

“Are you really going to allow Granger and Weasley in and out of here all the time, Severus?” Draco said, giving the both of them a disgusted look. “Merlin help me…”

 

“Perhaps the socialisation will do you good,” Snape said, shooting him a pointed look. “You ought to spend more time with other people your age.”

 

“Other people my age hate me,” Draco muttered. “I don’t want to deal with those two!” 

 

“You seemed to enjoy the Gryffindors’ company earlier,” Snape said, raising an eyebrow. “I overheard much of your impassioned debate with Granger…”

 

“Just because she’s the only person in my Arithmancy lessons on my intellectual level doesn’t mean I actually enjoy her company,” Draco said loftily.

 

Harry tried to hide his smile behind his hands. Even though Draco was still sort of insulting Hermione, he had just admitted they were on the same intellectual level. The boy from the previous year would have never done that…

 

“If Granger and Weasley visit here again, you will sit out here and socialise with them,” Snape said in a tone of finality. 

 

“They hate me!” Draco protested.

 

“They sent you a Christmas present,” Harry pointed out. "Why would they do that if they still hated you?"

 

“Well - don’t you want to see them alone, Harry?” Draco asked, slight desperation tingeing his tone. “Surely it’s not fair to make Harry share his friends, Severus…”

 

“Actually, I quite like the idea of all my friends getting along, thanks,” Harry shot back.

 

Draco groaned very loudly and sank back in his seat. Harry didn’t even bother to hide his grin this time - even Snape was backing up this plan, now! He felt very pleased - everything seemed to be looking up for Harry.

 

It wasn’t a feeling destined to last long. 

To be continued...
The Trouble with Fathers by aspionage

“I still can’t believe that you’ve never seen a balloon before,” Harry said, bouncing one up and down while lying flat on his back on the sofa.

 

“And I can’t quite understand the hype,” Draco said loftily, eyeing the few littered around Snape’s quarters with derision.

 

“They’d have been better if I had some helium,” Harry insisted. “That way they’d float.”

 

“Wingardium leviosa.” Draco jabbed his wand at a blue balloon, then gave it a deeply unimpressed look. “This still isn’t thrilling me, Potter.”

 

“Well, it’s better if you don’t have a magic wand lying around that can use to make everything float,” Harry said, slapping his balloon so it hit Draco in the side. 

 

He glared at Harry, then heaved a deep, long-suffering sigh. “I often forget how much of a Muggle you are…”

 

“Hey!”

 

“Don’t be rude, Draco,” Snape said tonelessly. “Well, I do appreciate the effort at these… birthday festivities.”

 

Snape’s lip curled slightly at the word ‘festivities’, like he couldn’t imagine anything more dreadful than celebrating anything related to his birth. Still, Harry and Draco had been insistent. Harry thought Snape could do with a bit of cheering up, since he’d spent the latter half of the first week of term laid up in the Hospital Wing with the flu Draco and Harry had spent New Years suffering from. Harry thought it was a bit rich that Snape always had a go at Harry for not acknowledging illness when he had been practically forced at wandpoint by Professor McGonagall to go to the Hospital Wing!

 

Since Snape had been sending Professor McGonagall down to the dungeons periodically to check in on Harry and Draco, they’d managed to employ her services in procuring some decorations for the dungeons, including the balloons Harry had wanted. She had been surprisingly enthusiastic; judging by the wry twist of Professor McGonagall’s lips when they’d asked, Harry thought that she agreed Snape needed a little cheering up.

 

It was only a small celebration - between Snape’s illness and his general cynicism, Harry thought he’d have baulked at anything resembling an actual party - but they’d gotten him a cake and some candles, and Snape tolerated their singing of ‘Happy Birthday’ with minimal scowling. In fact, when he blew out the candles, there was something close to fondness in his eyes as he watched Harry and Draco.

 

No one deserved to have their birthday ignored, Harry thought, no matter how much they claimed to hate parties. 

 

“Now, while I appreciate your efforts, I must turn in for the evening,” Snape said hoarsely, getting to his feet. “I am going to try to sleep off the remainder of this flu. Don’t stay up too late.”

 

Harry winced as he took in the man’s bloodshot eyes and pallid features, feeling oddly guilty. “Sorry again about infecting you.”

 

“You know, apologising for the inevitable transfer of germs cheapens the worth of any apologies you give for valid reasons,” Snape said waspishly. “Cease with the constant pleas for forgiveness and save everyone a lot of trouble.”

 

He shut the door without another word. Harry looked down the empty corridor and chewed nervously on his bottom lip. He’d been meaning to tell Snape at some point today about his news - namely, that Professor Lupin was hunting up a boggart for Harry to start Anti-Dementor lessons at some point in the near future. Of course, the minute Snape had gotten back to his quarters they’d had their little celebration, and Harry was well aware of the fact that he didn’t like Professor Lupin, so he certainly wasn’t going to ruin Snape’s birthday by bringing him up and putting him in a bad mood, especially since he was still sick -

 

“What’s got you looking so stressed?” Draco asked, interrupting his spiral of worrying.

 

Harry sighed. “Nothing.”

 

He’d tell Snape when he had a spare moment, Harry decided. Hopefully tomorrow.

 

Unfortunately for Harry, that plan also fell flat rather quickly. Quidditch training was in full swing, and by the time he arrived back in the dungeons after a rather late dinner, it was clear that the man was otherwise occupied. 

 

“You have to let me go, Severus, you have to!” Draco shouted. Harry paused in the living room, and strained his ears to listen. It quickly became obvious that was an unnecessary measure; both Snape and Draco’s voices were loud enough to be heard throughout their entire home.

 

“Under-seventeens aren't allowed in the courtroom viewing area,” Snape said flatly.

 

“But that's stupid!” Draco bellowed. “He's my father, I should be there!”

 

Harry winced, and quickly realised that the two of them must be discussing the upcoming trial of Lucius Malfoy. He shrugged off his cloak and carried his school bag to his bedroom as the argument continued to rise in volume.

 

“The ministry makes the rules, not me,” Snape said.

 

“But you wouldn't let me go even if I was allowed, would you?!” Draco said accusingly.

 

“Considering the way you are currently comporting yourself, no!” Snape said loudly.

 

“Exactly!” Draco screeched. “You’re being completely unfair!”

 

“I fail to see why I should treat you as an adult when you are currently throwing a tantrum fit for a toddler!” Snape seethed. Harry imagined that the nerve in his jaw must be twitching like mad by now.

 

“I hate you!”

 

“Scream all you like, but it's not going to change anything,” Snape said, in the irritatingly calm voice that only served to infuriate angry people further. “When you stop acting like a child, perhaps we can attempt a reasonable conversation -”

 

“Just get out and leave me alone!”

 

Harry heard a door slam violently shut. To his immense relief, Snape did not take that as an opportunity to restart an argument by lecturing Draco about door slamming. Instead, the man proceeded to storm into Harry's room, jaw tense and face red. 

 

“Evening,” he said tersely. “I presume you heard most of that.”

 

“I think half the castle did, actually,” Harry said pointedly.

 

Snape huffed loudly and sat down at Harry’s desk. “Since the trial is drawing ever-closer, we have had several unfortunate conversations regarding his non-attendance this evening…”

 

“Are you sure he can’t just go?” Harry asked. “If he’s so set on it and all.”

 

“Draco does not have the emotional capacity to withstand such an event,” Snape said bluntly. “And, furthermore, he shouldn’t have to see his father in such a position.”

 

“Er - right.” Harry wasn’t entirely sure why, but he thought that Snape probably knew more about all of this than he did, so he wasn’t going to argue.

 

“I simply wish to warn you that the next few weeks may be rather trying,” Snape said wearily, running his hands over his face. “I will do my best to mitigate, but you may wish to prepare yourself mentally for some difficulties around here.”

 

“Okay,” Harry said, nodding. Snape got to his feet and left Harry alone in his room without another word, and any plans to talk about the Anti-Dementor lessons evaporated around him. Snape was already in a rotten mood - Harry certainly wasn’t going to make it worse! He’d still have time to tell the man eventually…

 

But before Harry had a chance to see his guardian again, Professor Lupin was pulling him aside after Defence Against the Dark Arts on Thursday afternoon to tell Harry that he’d found that boggart, so they could start their lessons that day after dinner in the History of Magic classroom if he wanted. Since Harry really wanted to fix his Dementor problem before any upcoming Quidditch matches, he quickly agreed. 

 

Harry knew he was supposed to be back in Snape’s quarters after dinner, but it wasn’t like he was just wandering around aimlessly - he was going to be with a teacher the whole time, for goodness sake! Besides, Snape had agreed for Harry to go around the castle accompanied by Ron and Hermione after dinner on a few occasions where he’d needed to go to the library or had needed to ask a professor something. Normally he’d ask in advance, but Harry could just send word with Draco. It was basically the same thing.

 

While all the students milled about in the Entrance Hall before dinner, Harry spotted Draco at the other end of the room. He quickly said goodbye to his friends and made a beeline for the other boy, so he could pass on the message to Snape. Unfortunately for Harry, however, Draco decided to seize that as an opportunity to vent his spleen about their guardian, and Harry didn’t have the slightest chance to get a word in edgewise. It went on, and on, and on…

 

“And then, he starts having a go at me this morning for not making my bed!” Draco said indignantly. “As if there aren’t house-elves who are perfectly capable of doing that themselves - he’s depriving them of labour! But no, Severus and his bleeding heart thinks that I ought to ‘learn to contribute to the running of a household’ - I mean can you even believe it?!”

 

Given that Harry had witnessed this entire row while impatiently waiting to go to breakfast that morning, he certainly could believe it. He breathed in the delicious smells wafting out of the Great Hall and sighed. Once again, Draco and Snape’s rift was depriving him of a decent meal. 

 

“Sure, he’s an arse,” Harry said impatiently, hoping to get the conversation over with. “But I need you to tell Severus that I’m not going to be back straight away after dinner - Professor Lupin is giving me some extra Defence lessons so I can fight off Dementors.”

 

Draco scowled at him. “After everything I’ve just told you, I certainly won’t be speaking to Severus about anything!”

 

“Oh, come on!” Harry said loudly. “If you don’t, I’ll get in trouble! I’ll give you a chocolate frog if you do it, okay? Please?”

 

Draco’s irritation softened slightly. “Alright, fine.”

 

Harry, who couldn’t believe he was having to lower himself to bribery to get a message to his own guardian, turned on his heel and hurried into the Great Hall before Draco could start moaning about Snape again.

 


 

After eating, Harry was dropped off in the History of Magic corridor by Ron and Hermione, and he tentatively pushed open the classroom door to find Professor Lupin waiting. He was standing in front of a desk, on top of which lay a thumping, rattling trunk.

 

"What's that?" Harry asked. 

 

"Another boggart," Lupin said. He walked a circle around the desk, eyes fixed on the trunk. "I've been combing the castle ever since Tuesday, and very luckily, I found this one lurking inside Mr. Filch's filing cabinet. It's the nearest we'll get to a real dementor. The boggart will turn into a dementor when he sees you, so we'll be able to practise on him. I can store him in my office when we're not using him; there's a cupboard under my desk he'll like." 

 

"Okay," Harry said, trying very hard to hide his nervousness. 

 

Lupin took out his wand, and indicated that Harry should do the same. "Now, the spell I am going to try and teach you is highly advanced magic, Harry - well beyond Ordinary Wizarding Level. It is called the Patronus Charm." 

 

"How does it work?" he asked.

 

 "Well, when it works correctly, It conjures up a Patronus," Lupin said, "which is a kind of anti- dementor - a guardian that acts as a shield between you and the dementor. The Patronus is a kind of positive force, a projection of the very things that the dementor feeds upon - hope, happiness, the desire to survive - but it cannot feel despair, as real humans can, so the dementors can't hurt it.” 

 

Harry nodded slowly.

 

“I must warn you, Harry, that the charm might be too advanced for you,” Lupin said softly. “Many qualified wizards have difficulty with it." 

 

"What does a Patronus look like?" Harry asked curiously. 

 

"Each one is unique to the wizard who conjures it."

 

"And how do you conjure it?"

 

"With an incantation, which will work only if you are concentrating, with all your might, on a single, very happy memory." 

 

Harry began to think hard on what might count as a happy memory. It definitely wouldn’t be something that had happened to him at the Dursleys… his time with Snape and Draco would certainly do, but every time Harry tried to conjure up a happy memory, his mind immediately got stuck on how worried he was feeling about the trial. Finally, he settled on the moment when he had first ridden a broomstick. There was nothing going on that could possibly taint that.

 

"I’m ready," he said, trying to recall as exactly as possible the wonderful, soaring sensation of his stomach. 

 

"The incantation is this." Lupin cleared his throat. "Expecto patronum!"

 

"Expecto patronum," Harry repeated under his breath, "expecto patronum." 

 

"Concentrating hard on your happy memory?"

 

“Oh - er, yeah.” Harry shook himself and tried to focus harder. “Expecto patronum, expecto patronum… expecto patronum -”

 

Silvery gas suddenly shot from the end of Harry’s wand. He jumped slightly, then looked to Lupin excitedly. “Did you see that? I made something happen!”

 

"Very good," Lupin said with a smile. "Right, then - ready to try it on a dementor?" 

 

"Yes," Harry said. He tried to get a tighter grip on his wand, but his palms had gone rather sweaty. It was a bit hard to concentrate on his happy memory when other recollections were surging forth, like the memory of what he’d inevitably hear when the dementor was released…

 

But he had no time to give that any real thought; not as Lupin was pulling the lid of the trunk open.

 

A dementor slowly rose from the trunk’s depths, and the lights spluttered into darkness. The dementor surveyed Harry from beneath its ragged black hood, extended a single, scabbed hand, and an icy chill began to descend over the classroom…

 

“Expecto patronum!” he shouted. “Expecto patronum, expecto -”

 

But it wasn’t enough… the classroom was engulfed by fog, and Harry could hear her voice again, "Not Harry! Not Harry! Please - I'll do anything!" 

 

"Stand aside. Stand aside, girl!" 

 

And he was back, lying flat on the classroom floor. He gingerly pushed himself up and muttered, “Sorry.”

 

"Are you all right?" Lupin asked.

 

"Yeah..." Harry pulled himself up on one of the desks and leaned against it. 

 

"Here." Lupin handed him a chocolate frog. "Eat this before we try again. I didn't expect you to do it your first time; in fact, I would have been astounded if you had." 

 

"It's getting worse," Harry muttered, biting off the frog's head. "I could hear her louder that time - my mum - and him. Voldemort.”

 

Lupin had gone horribly pale. "Harry, if you don't want to continue, it is completely understandable -" 

 

"I do!" said Harry fiercely. He ate the rest of the chocolate frog in one bite and squeezed his hands into fists. "I've got to! What if the dementors turn up at our match? I can't afford to fall off again! Besides, I can’t go around hearing that all the time. I just can’t.”

 

"All right then, " Lupin agreed reluctantly. "You might want to select another happy memory to concentrate on… That one doesn't seem to have been strong enough…”

 

Harry thought hard, and remembered a conversation in mid December… Late at night, in the darkness of his room, when Draco had turned to him and whispered, “Brothers. I like it too.” If that wasn’t a happy memory, Harry didn’t know what was, even if all of his unhappiness surrounding the trial tainted it with a bit of worry. Hopefully that wouldn't matter?

 

"Ready?" Lupin asked, unlatching the lid. 

 

"Ready.”

 

"Go!" Lupin shouted, pulling off the lid. 

 

The room turned frosty yet again. The dementor floated forward, a frozen breath rattling in its chest -

 

"Expecto patronum!" Harry yelled. "Expecto patronum! Expecto -" 

 

White fog obscured his senses... big, blurred shapes were moving around him... then came a new voice, a man's voice, strained with terror… 

 

"Lily, take Harry and go! It's him! Go! Run! I'll hold him off -" 

 

The sounds of someone stumbling from a room - a door bursting open - a cackle of high-pitched laughter - 

 

"Harry! Harry, wake up…" 

 

Lupin was shaking Harry by the shoulders, and it took him several moments to work out why he was lying on the floor. Harry felt sick, and cold all over, even though the dementor was locked away.

 

"I heard my dad," Harry mumbled. "That's the first time I've ever heard him - he tried to take on Voldemort himself, to give my mum time to run for it…”

 

Harry suddenly realised that there were tears burning in his eyes, and turned to one side so Lupin wouldn’t see him wipe them away.

 

“You heard James?” Lupin rasped.

 

“Yeah…” Harry turned to face him again. “Wait - you knew him, then?”

 

“I - I did, as a matter of fact,” Lupin said eventually. “We were friends at Hogwarts. Listen, Harry -”

 

“Severus never talks about my dad,” he said softly. Lupin looked at him inquisitively, so Harry pressed on. “He does about my mum, but never him. I don’t think he can - not pleasantly, anyway. They didn’t get along.”

 

“That much is certainly true,” Lupin murmured.

 

There was an aching longing in Harry’s chest. “But you and my dad were friends?” 

 

Lupin hesitated, and then nodded. “Quite good friends. I… I miss him often. He… well, James was a remarkable man.”

 

From the way that Lupin was stumbling over his words, Harry quickly drew the conclusion that it was just as difficult for him to talk about James as it was for Snape to talk about Lily. He couldn’t help but wince a little as he took in Lupin’s features, somehow greyer and wearier than usual.

 

“Listen, Harry - perhaps we should leave it here for tonight,” Lupin said. “This charm is ridiculously advanced… I shouldn't have suggested putting you through this -" 

 

"No!" he said vehemently. "I'll have one more go! I'm not thinking of happy enough things, that's what it is… Hang on…"

 

As Harry staggered to his feet, casting his mind around for another happy memory, he could have slapped himself. Of course - Christmas day! He and Draco had had such fun, and the presents, particularly the letters from his mother that Severus had given him, were so precious to him now… even with the tangled knot of worry that surrounded any thoughts of Draco at the minute wouldn’t taint this, Harry thought.

 

"Ready?" Lupin said. "Concentrating hard? All right - go!" 

 

He popped open the lid of the trunk yet again, and the dementor rose out of it. Harry braced himself.

 

'EXPECTO PATRONUM!" he bellowed. "EXPECTO PATRONUM! EXPECTO PATRONUM!" 

 

The screaming inside Harry's head had started again, but something was different - it sounded like the time Snape had tried to tune into a Muggle radio station with his Wizarding Wireless. A strange static filled his head, with brief snatches of sound and screams, but the fog hadn’t engulfed him. Harry could still see the Dementor, halted behind a silvery cloud of vapour… Harry’s legs were wobbling, but the shield held -

 

“Riddikulus!” Lupin shouted, jumping between Harry and the dementor. As the professor shut the box, Harry sank back into a chair, legs trembling. He was exhausted, and felt like he’d just finished running a marathon. Still, amongst it all remained a feeling of great exhilaration.

 

Excellent!" Lupin said excitedly. "Excellent, Harry! That was definitely a start!" 

 

"Can we have another go? Just one more go?" 

 

"Not now," Lupin said firmly. "You've had enough for one night. Here." He handed Harry a large bar of Honeydukes' best chocolate. "Eat the lot, or Madam Pomfrey will be after my blood. So - same time next week?" 

 

"Okay," Harry said. He grinned and took a large bite out of the chocolate bar as Lupin muttered a few spells to properly lock up the trunk.

 

Suddenly, a thought occurred to him. "Professor Lupin? If you knew my dad, you must've known Sirius Black as well." 

 

Lupin started. "What gives you that idea?" 

 

"Nothing - I mean, I just knew they were friends at Hogwarts too…" 

 

Lupin's face relaxed slightly. "Yes, I knew him," he said shortly. "Or I thought I did. You’d better be getting off, Harry. It’s getting rather late.”

 

“Right.” Harry very suddenly wished he hadn’t brought it up - it was clear that Lupin wasn’t keen on the subject. Harry supposed he wouldn’t be either, given the circumstances…

 

“Oh, would you mind walking me back down to the dungeons?” he asked. “Severus doesn’t like me wandering around alone after dark.”

 

“Understandable,” Lupin said. “Of course I’ll walk you down.”

 

He left the trunk on the desk of the History of Magic classroom, still rattling slightly, and strode out of the classroom. Harry followed along, still nibbling on the chocolate bar he’d been handed, mind racing with questions. He’d spent the last few months hearing so much about his mother, but James was still quite a mystery to Harry. He realised that Snape must know something, but the little Harry had heard from his guardian’s perspective had been highly unpleasant, and had left him reluctant to prod for more. The prospect of speaking with someone who did know his father and was fond of him had Harry buzzing with questions he’d secreted away for months.

 

He knew he ought to leave it, but Harry couldn’t help himself. He blurted, “So would you say you knew my dad quite well?”

 

“I suppose so,” Lupin said guardedly. “Why do you ask?”

 

“I just - well, I suppose I have questions about him,” Harry said quietly. “Sometimes I wonder what he’d think about certain things.”

 

“Such as?” Lupin prompted.

 

“Well… what he’d think about Severus being my guardian,” Harry said softly. “All I do know about him from Severus is that they really didn’t like each other, so… Well, I don’t know.  Sometimes I worry.”

 

Lupin slowed down, then stopped walking entirely. He didn’t respond for a long moment as he regarded Harry carefully. “I think… actually, I know that a lot of the animosity between James and Professor Snape eased on your father’s side as he aged. Lily always held Professor Snape in rather high regard, after all… she never appreciated any griping… no, don’t worry yourself about such things, Harry. James would want you to be happy, and taken care of. The fact that Professor Snape is the one doing that would certainly not affront him. I am sure of it.”

 

“Thank you,” he said gratefully, feeling something of a weight lift from his shoulders. It was nice, talking to Lupin. While Harry understood that Snape couldn’t talk about James positively without inducing a brain aneurysm, that didn’t change the fact that he was still Harry’s dad. He’d grown up being told that James Potter was a worthless, unemployed drunk; Harry had heard enough negative things about the man to last him a lifetime. Once in a while, it would be decent to hear something positive about his dad. 

 

Harry couldn’t help but notice that even though Harry was calling Snape by his first name, Lupin staunchly refused to do so. Then, it occurred to him that Lupin was speaking as if he’d known Harry’s mother rather well, too. Before he could even begin to address that, however, they had reached the portrait of Asclepius the snake.

 

“I shall leave you here, then,” Lupin said. “I’ll see you next week, Harry. Well done again.” 

 

He smiled, and quietly said the password to Asclepius. He allowed Harry into Snape’s quarters with minimal haughty commentary for once. As Harry walked in, he glanced over his shoulder to look at Lupin and realised that the man had paused to watch him, too. It was clear he was making sure Harry got in safely. He smiled at the professor, then shut the portrait behind him.

 

That smile immediately fell off Harry’s face when he saw Snape in the living room, glowering fiercely. His first thought was that Draco had started throwing a tantrum again, but a moment later Harry realised that Snape’s anger was clearly directed at him.

 

“And where exactly have you been?” Snape inquired icily.

 

“Professor Lupin was giving me Anti-Dementor lessons.” Harry frowned. “Didn’t Draco tell you? I asked him to.”

 

“He did, but I simply fail to see why you didn’t bother telling me yourself!” he snapped.

 

Harry winced. He’d known it was probably not the best of ideas to dance around the topic with Snape until the last minute. Still, they’d all been busy this week! It had just… conveniently not come up, was all…

 

“He only just managed to capture the boggart we were going to use today,” Harry said. It wasn’t a lie, at least.

 

Snape’s lips curled into a particularly unpleasant sneer. “Well, then… did you have fun sneaking around behind my back with Lupin, then?”

 

“I don’t see how this is any different to me going up to Professor Sinistra’s office after dinner in November to ask her about the work I’d missed in Astronomy when I was off,” Harry said coldly. Annoyance was bubbling up in him. “I didn’t run that all past you then, did I?”

 

Part of him had hoped that the reminder of his missed lessons in November would prompt Snape to remember why he’d been off school - because of the Dementors and their effects, which Harry was trying to learn to stave off. He ought to understand why this was so important!

 

“You also know perfectly well that you aren’t allowed to traipse around the corridors at night by yourself, even if you are visiting a teacher!” Snape added, folding his arms. “You should have asked me, so I -”

 

“I wasn’t wandering around alone, actually!” Harry said indignantly. “Ron and Hermione walked me there, and Professor Lupin walked me back down!”

 

Snape opened his mouth. After a moment, he shut it with a furious click, clearly out of arguments. 

 

Harry wasn’t done, though. The way Snape was acting about this entire thing had seriously angered him.

 

“And just what’s your problem, anyway?” he asked, narrowing his eyes. “You know how badly I react to the Dementors! Why are you being so nasty about me actually doing something about that?”

 

“It’s just a waste of time!” Snape spat. “A thirteen year old can’t cast the Patronus Charm. You’ll never manage it, so Lupin shouldn’t bother.”

 

Harry flinched back, stung by Snape’s words. Any modicum of restraint was washed away in a tidal wave of anger and hurt.

 

“That’s not it and you know it!” he said loudly. “You just have some kind of problem with Professor Lupin, don’t you?”

 

“My relationship with my colleagues is none of your business,” Snape growled. “You are treading on thin ice, Harry. Watch it.”

 

Harry didn’t heed the warning. “Don’t give me that - you clearly hate him, and I can’t understand it at all! Professor Lupin’s really nice! What, is it just because he has the Defence Against the Dark Arts post? Or - oh! Do you not like him because was friends with my father or something?”

 

Harry hadn’t really expected that last accusation to hold much truth, but some dark emotion flashed in Snape’s eyes before being quickly Occluded away. He immediately knew he’d hit home. 

 

Harry stared at him, aghast. “Oh my God, that is why!” 

 

“That is enough!” Snape erupted, rising to his feet. “You have absolutely no right to speak to me this way, Harry! If I want to ban you from lessons with any staff member - especially with the likes of Lupin - you will sit back and accept it!”

 

“Why should I?” Harry shouted back. “I didn’t even do anything wrong and you’re being absolutely horrid to me, just because he was mates with James Potter!”

 

Harry couldn’t help but completely lose his temper - he felt so violently defensive of his father that it was practically choking him. He had heard his father’s voice for the first time that night, heard how he’d sacrificed himself to try and buy Harry and his mother time, and even the slightest disparagement of James Potter felt like a white-hot strike against a raw nerve. 

 

The muscles in Snape’s jaw were twitching furiously by now. “You stop it, or -”

 

“Or what?!” Harry yelled. “You’ll start talking about how much I’m like my awful, arrogant father again? Oh, what a big surprise! Do you have any idea what it’s like growing up and being told how your father is a worthless, unemployed drunk, and how you’re going to be just as useless as he was when you’re older? Well, it’s bloody horrible! I’m so used to people telling me nothing but awful things about my dad, and the one time I have someone who can actually tell me James Potter was a decent man, you want to take that away from me!”

 

“Go to your room,” Snape growled, jabbing a finger in the direction of the corridor.

 

Harry stalked past him, but whirled around at the last moment for one last word.

 

“For someone who spent weeks telling me and Draco that we had to get over our feud, you sure love to keep getting shots in at a man you didn’t like who’s been dead twelve years!” he said furiously. “I don’t know how you can get on your high horse with us two when you’re such a bloody great hypocrite!”

 

Snape’s shoulders tensed, and Harry knew his words had rang true. He shot one final glare at his guardian before storming into his bedroom and slamming the door as loudly as he possibly could. The minute he was inside, Harry wrenched the lock closed, sank down against the door, and put his face to his knees. Any happiness he’d felt from his success with the Patronus Charm had evaporated into all-consuming misery.

 

Great. He was in yet another fight with Snape. If Harry knew anything, there was now going to be an awful tension lingering between the two of them for days upon days, until someone finally grew too unhappy to allow it all to carry on any longer. He had a bad feeling about this argument, too - it was a big one. James Potter was a definite sore subject with Snape, one that Harry had gotten very used to avoiding.

 

Still, the elephant in the room could no longer be ignored. As much as Harry thought Snape often disliked it, James Potter was, and always would be, Harry’s father. Knowing that his guardian hated the man who had sacrificed his life for Harry’s sake hurt him deeply. Snape, as much as Harry hated to admit it in a time like this, was one of the most important people in Harry’s life. The fact that he despised someone who was an equally important part of Harry made him feel like something in his chest was cracked irreparably. 

 

He couldn’t ignore it any longer. Not after Lupin, and certainly not after what he’d heard from the Dementors.

 

"Lily, take Harry and go! It's him! Go! Run! I'll hold him off…”

 

He felt cold and clammy all over. Harry jumped to his feet and snatched a dark blue blanket from the end of his bed and draped it around his shoulders. He then sank down into the rug at the base of his four poster and hugged his knees again.

 

His father was a good man, right? Despite what Snape said, despite what Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon said, James Potter couldn’t have just been the scum of society…

 

Contrary to what Harry had assumed, it was not days upon days before he would next speak to Snape properly. As a matter of fact, he bypassed the lock on Harry’s bedroom door not twenty minutes after their fight. His face was Occlumency-blank as he leaned against the door frame. 

 

Harry scowled fiercely. “I don’t -”

 

“We need to talk,” Snape interrupted.

 

“I’m not stopping the Anti-Dementor lessons,” Harry said staunchly, hunching his shoulders. “I’ll get kicked off the Quidditch team if I don’t learn the Patronus Charm, that isn’t -”

 

“Harry, will you just let me talk for once?” Snape snapped. “Please!” 

 

He reluctantly fell silent, but only because Snape saying ‘please’ like that was such a rare event that it immediately demanded attention. He wrapped the blanket more tightly around his shoulders and watched Snape closely. He was staring at Harry, too, and something in his expression seemed oddly lost. 

 

“You were right, earlier,” he said softly. “I hated your father.”

 

Harry glared. “Trust me, I’m aware. You don’t need to keep reminding me.”

 

“No, that isn’t -” Snape gritted his teeth and looked away. He paused to collect himself before speaking again. “Harry, I quite frankly do not even know where to begin with this conversation. Could you simply allow me to speak uninterrupted while I find my way?”

 

“Fine,” he muttered.

 

Snape entered the room fully, and walked over to where Harry was seated. He paused, and then lowered himself down and folded his legs beneath him so he was sitting opposite to Harry on the rug. He felt an odd twinge of deja vu, and suddenly remembered a similar conversation from many months ago when Snape had sat like this with Harry, when he was first trying to pry information about the Dursleys out of him. It felt like that day had been a lifetime ago…

 

“I know we came to something of an agreement to never speak of Potter Senior several months ago,” Snape began. “However, it is clear we cannot carry on like this… I think it would be prudent for me to make you aware of why I feel the way that I do about him.”

 

Harry nodded slowly. Something akin to dread curdled in his stomach.

 

“James Potter despised me,” Snape said bluntly. “I felt the same in return. I saw him as an arrogant and spoilt, and I couldn’t stand that, or his immense popularity, or his skill on the Quidditch pitch… he similarly loathed me, because he viewed me as pompous, and dirty, and he was disgusted by my interest in Dark magic, and was jealous of my friendship with your mother.” Snape sighed heavily. “He and his little friends liked to bully me - a claim Professor McGonagall or Lupin will confirm if you consult them, I might add.”

 

Harry broke eye contact and began to tug at the rug beneath him as the dread in his core hardened into something worse. Snape reached out and placed a hand over Harry’s to still them, and waited until he looked back up to start speaking again.

 

“I similarly wasn’t an innocent target,” he added quietly. Something akin to regret flickered in Snape’s eyes. “I took great pleasure in tormenting them back with various Dark hexes and curses that I oughtn’t to have ever known, let alone used. There were several occasions where I was humiliated, and retaliated with such force that they were landed in the Hospital Wing for extended stretches… well, I’ll spare you the worst of the details. All you really must know is that it was a bitter, bitter rivalry that spanned years.”

 

Harry bit down on his lip, hard. Despite his earlier curiosities, he was beginning to wish he’d never heard any of this at all… he sort of wished he could hug his knees and sink back into himself, but Snape kept a gentle but firm hold on his hands, and Harry was rather reluctant to pull himself free.

 

“Some say… well, they say that James grew up and got over these prejudices,” Snape said rather angrily. “I suppose, given his considerable popularity and Lily’s affections for him, the man must have some redeemable qualities -” He cut himself off again and took a sharp breath in, eyes squeezed shut. “As I’m sure you can see, there is a reason why I try to avoid speaking of him with you. I am certainly far from an unbiased source…”

 

Snape trailed off completely, and took a minute to collect himself. “Yes, James did change. He grew up and became a… a respectable man. But his improvement in character and his relationship with Lily only served to make me hate him more. I did not grow up or move on, even after his death, and I unfairly took out my hatred of him on you over a decade after our feud. Something I regret deeply, as I hope you know.”

 

Harry nodded slowly. He’d forgiven Snape for the first two years of their time together, but he certainly hadn’t forgotten the way he’d been treated. It was something he tried hard not to think about, in all honesty. Everything that had happened after second year was what really mattered, after all.

 

“I am not a good person,” Snape said bluntly. 

 

Harry stared at him in dismay. “Severus, you -”

 

“Don’t placate me,” Snape said bitterly. “Harry, I am a man of many faults. I can be vindictive, and I hold grudges, and there is so much bad blood between myself and James that I am unsure if I will ever have it in me to stop hating him.”

 

Harry broke his gaze to stare at the ground again. It hurt to hear, but he appreciated Snape’s honesty, at the very least. 

 

“But despite everything that has happened between myself and James… he is still your father,” Snape said. “My own, ah… personal issues, shall we say, should not get in the way of you from finding out more about him. Even if it is from the likes of Lupin -” Snape practically spat the name, then shook himself. This time, he was the one refusing to meet Harry’s eyes. 

 

“I… I do not wish to behave in regard to James as Petunia did when you would ask about Lily,” he admitted eventually.

 

Harry felt horrified. He shook his head vigorously. “You’re nothing like her! Severus, you aren’t -”

 

“Don’t excuse me,” Snape said sharply. “I am simply saying all of this to explain that I think you should pursue information about Po - about your father. Speak to Professor McGonagall, speak to Lupin, whoever is necessary - I will not react as I did earlier. I just thought I ought to explain myself.”

 

Looking extraordinarily weary, Snape released Harry’s hands to rub his temples. 

 

“Er… I have one last question,” Harry said tentatively.

 

“Go on.”

 

“At the end of my first year, I asked Professor Dumbledore why you hated my father so much, and - er - he said he saved your life or something?” Harry said awkwardly.

 

Snape’s expression darkened, and it instantly made Harry wish he’d kept quiet. There appeared to be a moment of great mental turmoil before Snape finally spoke. “Sirius Black decided it would be highly amusing to set a werewolf on me. Your father got cold feet on that delightful joke at the last moment.”

 

Harry’s jaw dropped. He didn’t even know where to start - a werewolf? Sirius Black, again?!

 

“Why didn’t Black go to Azkaban then?!” Harry demanded.

 

“A good question,” Snape said bitterly. “If you don’t mind, that’s all I’d like to say on the matter.”

 

Harry looked at him closely, lost for words, but so grateful they had at last cleared the air.

 

“Thanks,” he said quietly.

 

“Don’t,” Snape sighed. “We ought to have discussed this a long time ago. I’ve been putting it off.”

 

“Oh.” Harry shifted awkwardly. “Well… thanks anyway, Severus. Er - why are we talking about it, though? You don’t normally find me this quickly after we argue…”

 

Snape’s lips twitched with amusement. “Your Head of House’s influence, I dare say. Professor McGonagall frequently sees fit to either lecture me or assign me books, of all things, on the value of ‘open communication’ and other such tosh… I suppose her influence must be taking root at last. Perish the thought.”

 

He looked vaguely disgusted, and Harry laughed. “Even after all these years, she still sets you homework?”

 

“Unfortunately enough.”

 

“Well, I like it,” Harry declared. “I hate arguing, you know.”

 

“As do I.”

 

They fell into a comfortable silence, both a little bit happier than they’d been upon entering the room. After a few moments, Snape reached into his pocket, retrieved his wand and flicked it. A bar of Honeydukes chocolate flew into his hand.

 

“While I may not know the precise details of your Anti-Dementor lessons, I am certain they must be draining. Here.” Snape placed the chocolate bar into Harry’s palm. “Eat it all.”

 

Harry stared at the chocolate bar and coughed awkwardly. “Er - well, Professor Lupin already gave me some…”

 

“Humour me,” Snape drawled, arching an eyebrow. “At any rate, you turning down chocolate is a surefire sign of some sort of Dementor-induced illness…”

 

Well, Snape had a point there, Harry decided. There wasn’t anything wrong with a bit of extra chocolate. After taking the first bite, he said, “So about the Anti-Dementor lessons. Are you going to let me keep up with them?”

 

“Yes,” Snape said, although some reluctance was evident in his tone. “I suppose Lupin is… qualified…”

 

“Even though you think it’s useless, because I’m not good enough to manage the spell.” Harry couldn’t help the hurt creeping into his voice, and Snape winced.

 

“I’m sure you are unfortunately acquainted with my rather foul temper by now,” he said with a shake of his head. “You know that when I lose it, my words are often uncharitable at best. I do not think you aren’t good enough, Harry - far from it. In fact, I think you are a talented and capable wizard.”

 

Harry’s eyebrows rose with surprise. “Wait, really?

 

A dark shadow passed across Snape’s face. “If I have not made that clear to you before now, I believe I have more to atone for than I realised…”

 

“No, no!” Harry said quickly. “Er - you know what I’m like. All that Dursley stuff and all.” Those words made his mouth go a little dry, but Harry did his best to ignore it. “You know how they sort of, er - screwed up how I feel about my magic.”

 

“True,” Snape acquiesced. “But in regard to the Patronus Charm - it is very difficult for adults, Harry, and you are only thirteen. Talented as you are, you still have a lot of time before your powers fully mature, and given the strain Dementors place upon you, I simply do not know if frequent contact with them is healthy.”

 

“But it is helping!” Harry stressed. “The Charm’s already working, you know. It’s just vapour right now, and I couldn’t hold it for that long, but I didn’t faint for once!”

 

Snape’s eyes widened ever so slightly. “You managed an incorporeal Patronus on your first try?”

 

“Third,” Harry admitted.

 

“Only your third? Practically a Squib, then,” Snape said dryly. To Harry’s shock, he actually smiled. “Then once again, you have proven me wrong - I shouldn’t have doubted your skill, Harry. You are a very gifted young man.”

 

Those words made a warm glow spread throughout Harry’s chest, until he found himself unable to help from smiling, too. “Thanks.”

 

“Now eat that properly,” Snape ordered, gesturing to the forgotten chocolate bar in Harry’s hand. He quickly obeyed and bit into it once more, while Snape tapped his fingers against his palms and simply observed. Harry got the sense that he had something else he was contemplating, and was quickly proven right.

 

“I have one last thing to say about your father,” Snape said in a quiet voice. Harry’s shoulders tensed ever so slightly. “There are some positive things I can say about James - for one, he certainly wasn’t a drunkard.”

 

Harry leaned heavily against the side of his bed, feeling oddly deflated. Of course Snape wouldn’t let the Dursleys reference from earlier just slide…

 

“He also wasn’t unemployed,” Snape added. “He worked for the Order of the Phoenix - Professor Dumbledore’s group of fighters opposing the Dark Lord. While his work wasn’t paid, it does not change how dedicated Potter was to the cause. Fighting the Dark Lord certainly counted as a full time job, paycheque or not, and he was willing to donate his time and efforts without any financial incentive. The Dursleys are liars, do you understand? Full of vindictive nonsense.”

 

“Well, vindictive was practically my aunt and uncle’s middle names,” Harry muttered with a sigh. If even Snape, who by the sounds of it had rather valid reasons to dislike Harry’s father, thought it was wrong, that certainly said a lot about his relatives. A lump rose into Harry’s throat.

 

“They wouldn’t tell me anything about them - I didn’t even know the day they died,” he said bitterly. “All I got until Hagrid came to deliver my letter was ‘car crash, and don’t ask questions’. It was almost like they never existed. I think Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon liked to pretend all three of us didn’t exist, actually.”

 

Snape’s face was truly stormy by now. He muttered something that seemed vaguely threatening under his breath, then reached out and put a hand on Harry’s shoulder. 

 

“Well, the truth is that James cared about you very much,” Snape said eventually. “Enough to sacrifice his life in an effort to save yours. I am certain he would have been a good father to you, if he’d been given the time and opportunity. Despite everything else I may think of him, that does earn my respect.”

 

The majority of the tension melted from Harry’s shoulders. Before he could help it, he found himself leaning against Snape’s side, anger fading away. Despite whatever had happened between his father and Snape - Harry wasn’t too stupid to realise he’d certainly told an abridged version - Snape had still mustered something positive. That was a vast improvement. Snape was trying, and that was what mattered to Harry. 

To be continued...
A Lack of Options by aspionage

As January progressed, Harry’s schedule was becoming jam-packed. Between weekly Anti-Dementor lessons with Lupin, biweekly Occlumency sessions with Snape and the rapidly increasing amount of Quidditch practice sessions, Harry was exhausted. Oliver Wood and Marcus Flint were still bickering over when to schedule the Gryffindor versus Slytherin rematch - although rumour had it that the game would take place a few weeks after Slytherin took on Ravenclaw in February - but the lack of a date hadn’t stopped Oliver from training the Gryffindor team brutally.

 

Anti-Dementor lessons and Occlumency lessons weren’t exactly a walk in the park, either. Harry’s original progress with the Patronus Charm had plateaued, and he hadn’t managed to produce anything more than vapour, yet, no matter what memory he selected. Professor Lupin was always gently, determinedly encouraging, but Harry’s confidence in himself was starting to wane.

 

Occlumency was also proving to be quite troublesome. Snape had moved Harry onto a different memory - this one was of his Uncle Vernon, enraged after an incident of accidental magic. Harry had attempted to Occlude it five times, now, and still hadn’t had any luck. 

 

And there they were again - Harry standing at the edge of Privet Drive’s kitchen, Snape just behind his shoulder, watching his eight-year-old self try to flatten his hair in a small mirror that Aunt Petunia kept on the side table. Uncle Vernon had been particularly angry about his messy locks around that time, and Harry didn’t want another smack around the back of the head, accompanied by a sharp order to comb his hair. At that moment, his uncle was sitting at the kitchen table, reading the paper and drinking a cup of coffee. 

 

Dudley came ploughing in, carrying a shiny, new cricket bat he’d gotten for his birthday. Before Harry had so much as a chance to turn around, he lifted it into the air and drove it hard into Harry’s ribs, with enough force to topple him to the ground. Harry laid there, gasping for air, while Dudley raised the bat, prepared to inflict another blow…

 

 But as the bat came whooshing down to hit Harry square in the face, there was a resounding crack, like a car backfiring. Dudley’s feet tripped over themselves, knocking him to the floor, and the cricket bat went flying across the room, smacking hard against the wall.

 

Dudley’s cheeks blotched into a nasty shade of pink as he struggled to take in what just happened. Both the eight-year-old version of Harry and his current self winced as Dudley opened his mouth.

 

“Daaaad!” he wailed, jabbing a finger in his cousin’s direction. “He did something to me! He attacked me!” 

 

“I didn’t!” Harry protested, shoving himself upright with some difficulty.

 

It was no use. Uncle Vernon would never have believed Harry over his own son - even now, his face was colouring an unpleasant puce, and his lips were drawing back into a snarl. He thrust himself to his feet, slammed his paper to the tabletop, then stormed across the room. He grabbed Harry roughly by the arm and began to screech obscenities barely an inch from his face. Harry could still remember, even now, the disgusting spittle that had flown from beneath Uncle Vernon’s bushy moustache…

 

“HOW DARE YOU ATTACK DUDLEY!” he bellowed. "HOW DARE YOU, AFTER EVERYTHING WE'VE DONE FOR YOU! I USE MY HARD-EARNED MONEY TO PUT A ROOF OVER YOUR HEAD AND FOOD IN YOUR UNGRATEFUL MOUTH, AND YOU REPAY US LIKE THIS? I OUGHT TO HAVE LEFT YOU ROTTING ON THE STREETS WHERE YOU BELONG!”

 

Eight-year-old Harry tried to cringe away, Uncle Vernon’s fingers digging into his flesh. Those finger-shaped marks had been the first bruises Harry’s uncle had left on his skin that day, but certainly not the last. 

 

Vernon raised his other hand in a closed fist, then began to drive it forwards -

 

And they were back in Snape’s office. By now, the post-Occlumency ritual had grown familiar. Snape placed his hands over Harry’s, and muttered quiet instructions about breathing until Harry managed to get control of himself again. The dreadful memory always made adrenaline course through his blood, urging Harry to run, to hide, to escape the wrath of Vernon that was soon to fall. Even though Snape always pulled them out before Uncle Vernon actually hit Harry, he couldn’t stop his body from reacting the same way it had five years ago. He still felt the danger like he was really there, and couldn’t switch it off.

 

Once his breathing had gone from shallow gasps to lengthy inhales and exhales, Harry yanked his hands away from Snape and used them to hide his face. He clenched fistfuls of his fringe between his fingers and groaned loudly. “I failed again!”

 

“You’re being far too hard on yourself,” Snape said sternly. “What you’re attempting to do is incredibly difficult -”

 

“But I don’t know why I can’t just do it already!” Harry said, dropping his arms to hang limp at the sides of his chair. “I feel completely useless!”

 

“You are not.” Snape placed his hands on Harry’s shoulders, their faces level. “I told you this wouldn’t happen overnight. You have nothing to be ashamed of, Harry - these are horrible memories, things that would turn anyone’s stomach. It might take you some time, but you’ll learn to Occlude them eventually.”

 

Harry nodded reluctantly. “Can I try again? I want to get this done.” 

 

“Not today,” Snape said firmly. “You’ve had enough - we’ll try again on Wednesday.”

 

“Alright,” Harry acquiesced, but only because he knew that Snape was not one to be moved on matters like this.

 

“You’ll manage it, Harry. I’m certain.” Snape squeezed Harry’s shoulder once, then pulled away. He sat down on the other side of his desk and started briskly flicking through a stack of essays with a thumb. “Now, why don’t you go into the sitting room and play some chess with Draco? I think both of you could use the distraction.”

 

“Er… are you sure that’s a good idea?” Harry said hesitantly.

 

The pressure of the upcoming trial was not doing wonders for Draco’s mood. With every passing day, the other boy grew more and more insufferable. He was picking fights over the most ridiculous things, particularly with Snape, who he still blamed for his inability to attend the trial proceedings. Yesterday, when Snape had asked Draco to tidy up his bedroom, which was in a complete state, he’d blown up quite spectacularly. He’d even started throwing things around in his room and smashing them, an event that hadn’t occurred since Harry’s second day at Spinner’s End. Harry almost thought he preferred that to the constant passive aggressive comments and sniping, though. Since Snape wasn’t exactly a patient person, he would always whip an equally sharp barb back at Draco, egging him into an endless back and forth. It was tedious to listen to.

 

Draco was being just as bad with Harry, making constant, snide comments about him, or yelling at him for no apparent reason. Harry felt like he was constantly walking on eggshells, and he hated it. 

 

It was worst of all with the other students - Draco erupted at even the smallest of comments, nowadays, over things he’d tolerated easily just last month. He’d shoved Blaise Zabini into a pile of unicorn manure in Care of Magical Creatures on Monday, and would have done a lot more if Harry hadn’t grabbed onto him and held him back. 

 

Potions had been even worse, when Draco had thrown a handful of frogspawn into Pansy Parkinson’s face for a whispered comment she’d made about Draco’s father. Snape had looked ready to spit nails for that one. There was nothing that made him angrier than people messing about with potentially explosive ingredients. Harry had had Anti-Dementor lessons that evening, and they had still been arguing about the incident when Professor Lupin dropped Harry back in the dungeons late that evening. 

 

Harry’s plans to get Draco to befriend Ron and Hermione had been put on pause until the trial was over. It was too risky when Draco was so quick to anger - Harry was worried he’d start going on about Mudbloods and blood traitors again, since he was so determined to push everybody in his life away for reasons Harry couldn’t really comprehend.

 

On the other hand, Harry knew Draco needed someone to talk to… he had to be quite lonely. As annoyed as he was with the other boy, Harry still felt very bad for Draco. The only people he really spoke to nowadays were Harry and Snape, and half of those conversations ended up being arguments. 

 

The closest Draco got to talking to someone outside of their quarters was a big, black dog Harry had noticed him sitting with at the edge of the Forbidden Forest after a couple of Gryffindor Quidditch practices. The animal always made Harry’s hair stand on end when he noticed it. The dog bore a striking resemblance to the looming figure of the Grim that had been haunting Harry for the last few months. Because of that, he never dared to approach the pair of them. 

 

“I know I should be there for Draco and all, but he’s making it pretty hard,” Harry grumbled. “We’re not the ones being horrible to him…”

 

“But we are more accessible targets than Ministry prosecutors, or Daily Prophet reporters,” Snape said with a sigh. “It is not acceptable behaviour, Harry, but he is under remarkable strain. The trial is tomorrow - once that is over, and the matter is settled, we will be out of this limbo and the world’s attention will move on.”

 

“Are all wizard trials so quick?” Harry asked, tilting his head to one side. Aunt Petunia had always been a fan of soap operas that were chock-full of grisly murders, and a lot of them seemed to involve long and drawn out trials, full of angry, moustached lawyers and wig-wearing judges who were rather overenthusiastic with their gavels.

 

“Typically they are quite brief, yes. It’s all rather different due to magical intervention, which speeds along the process,” Snape explained. He must have worked out that Harry was thinking of the Muggle way of doing things.

 

“Still - I feel like they must end up missing things, if it’s all in one day,” Harry said.

 

He’d expected Snape to have an opposing explanation, but to Harry’s surprise, he nodded. “How do you think so many Death Eaters managed to avoid Azkaban? The Council of Magical Law is highly flawed.”

 

“Why don’t they just… fix it?” 

 

It seemed obvious to Harry. The Ministry could just close the legal loopholes, and then there wouldn’t be all of these problems!

 

Snape looked vaguely amused by Harry’s comments, and simply shook his head. “Fix the system which allows so many members of the Ministry for Magic to get away with crimes without consequence? I think not. After all, if you can still save your own skin, who cares about a few pesky miscarriages of justice?”

 

“But that’s completely corrupt!” Harry protested.

 

“Welcome to politics,” Snape said sardonically. He spread his hands wide. “It’s a messy business.”

 

“Definitely.” Harry pulled a face.

 

“Now, back to the matter of tomorrow’s trial.” Snape regarded him closely. “Draco has the day off lessons for obvious reasons, but I was wondering how you would feel about staying down here with him instead of attending class.”

 

“Really?” 

 

“It’s not ideal for you to miss school, but I am reluctant to leave Draco alone to his own devices, given the circumstances,” Snape said wearily. “I must attend the trial, and I’d prefer you staying over the likes of a different staff member, since he’ll probably cope better around someone… well, around someone within the family.”

 

He left a deliberate pause after those words, like he was waiting to see how Harry would react to the descriptor of ‘family’. Harry didn’t mind it now at all, of course, but a few months ago, he could see how that would have definitely sent him spiralling… Harry was suddenly struck by the realisation that Snape must often find himself choosing his words carefully like that. He was an impressively deliberate man.

 

“I’m happy to stay with him,” Harry said with a shrug. “Like you said, it’s family business. I want to be there for him.”

 

Even if he is being a massive berk right now, Harry mentally tacked on.

 

“If you feel you need an adult, do not hesitate to get one,” Snape added, his voice stern. “My fireplace is connected to the other professors’ offices, and I’ll leave the Floo powder on the mantelpiece so you can ask around for aid. Professor Flitwick will be available in the morning, and Professor McGonagall in the afternoon.”

 

“Okay.” 

 

Harry didn’t think he was going to end up needing that, though. He was sure that he was far better at dealing with Draco than Professor McGonagall or Professor Flitwick would be.

 

“And I expect you to do your schoolwork while you wait for me to return,” Snape added, a knowing glint in his eye. Harry, who had just been looking forward to an excuse to skip school, sighed and nodded. Snape turned back to the stack of essays, and Harry made his way out of the office and into the main part of their quarters. 

 

Draco was sitting at the kitchen table, where he was supposed to be doing Charms homework - a task which he had been arguing with Snape about for half the evening. Instead of doing that, he was reading through an old copy of the Daily Prophet. Harry bit back a groan. Draco had an unhealthy obsession with those old newspapers, full of graphic descriptions of Lucius’ crimes… the more modern articles had also unfortunately captivated him, since the Prophet had started dedicating a section of their paper to lurid, sensationalised recaps of Lucius’ various crimes as they drew closer to the trial day.

 

It definitely wasn’t good for Draco to immerse himself in that much violence, particularly since it had been perpetrated by his father. Harry thought he might as well do as Snape had asked and at least try to interest Draco with some sort of distraction. He certainly needed it…

 

After a moment of hesitation, Harry crossed the room and hovered awkwardly at the edge of the kitchen table. Draco didn’t look up, or otherwise acknowledge Harry’s presence. He flicked over to the next page, where Harry saw a black-and-white image of a bearded man with solemn eyes staring back at them.

 

“How are you?”

 

Flick. A tearful blonde woman looked back from the page now, bleeding heavily from the cheek. Draco stared at her, purposefully ignoring Harry. He winced - that had probably been a stupid question, anyway. Draco was obviously doing terribly. 

 

“Look, why don’t you stop obsessively reading and come and play chess with me?” Harry tried. “I’ll let you have white.”

 

“Can you just shut up and let me read?” Draco snapped, not even bothering to look at him. “No one wants to hear you bleating on all the time!”

 

Harry scowled, then took a few deep breaths to try and get control of himself. He even tried to use a few Occlumency techniques to push away the anger and remind himself of what the real issue was here - Draco was just really stressed, and wasn’t handling things well. He needed a friend, not another argument.

 

“Reading it over and over won’t help what’s happened,” Harry said softly. “All it’s going to do is make you feel awful about your dad. Maybe it would help if you had a bit of a distraction -”

 

“And what would you possibly know, Potter?” Draco spat. He slammed a hand against the table. “You don’t know a thing about parents - yours are dead! You’ll never understand anything about family, since you haven’t even got one! And no, those Muggle oafs don’t count - but they made that perfectly clear to you, didn’t they?”

 

Harry flinched back. He felt like Draco had struck at something deep and wounded in his chest.

 

“Draco Malfoy!” Snape’s voice boomed from his office. The door, which had been left open a crack after Harry’s exit, was flung open so violently it smacked into the wall as Snape emerged, white-faced and livid. Even though Harry wasn’t the one he was angry at, he still cringed back. He hadn’t seen Snape this angry since the Hogsmeade incident…

 

All of the fury died from Draco’s face, to be replaced by something rather like regret. “Severus -”

 

“Your room. Now!” Snape seized Draco’s collar, hauled him out of his chair, and marched him into his bedroom. The door slammed shut, but that didn’t even begin to block out the shouting.

 

“How dare you say such things!” Snape seethed.

 

“I just -”

 

But Draco’s voice abruptly cut off, and Harry couldn’t make out a further word. Snape must have remembered Harry’s complaints about all the arguing and had conjured up some sort of Silencing Charm. It wasn’t all that effective, since Harry could still hear muffled voices and the angry tones that choked them, but just couldn’t make out the words anymore. He appreciated the effort, at the very least. 

 

Harry sighed loudly and shuffled down the hallway into his bedroom. He collapsed onto his bed and buried his face in his pillow. Snape’s words to Harry about family from earlier clearly didn’t ring true with Draco, then… it did hurt, when Harry had sort of started to believe that they were one. Stupid…

 

Why the hell had he even bothered trying to help Draco? He was being completely horrid all the time, and Harry was sick of it! Who was he to bring up the Dursleys like that? This wasn't the Draco Malfoy he'd come to like - this was the Malfoy of early August, who Harry had despised. 

 

After several minutes of Harry feeling rather sorry for himself, his bedroom door swung open. He recognised the sound of Snape clearing his throat. 

 

“Catch.” 

 

Harry looked up just in time to see a half-eaten packet of chocolate digestives flying through the air towards him. His Seeker reflexes alone allowed Harry to snatch them from above before they sailed onto the ground and got smashed. He reopened the packet and bit into one. These were his favourite biscuits, which Snape knew. He was obviously trying to make Harry feel better.

 

It wasn’t working. There was a horrible ache in Harry’s chest.

 

“Are you alright?” Snape asked softly. Harry didn’t respond  and continued to nibble at the edge of the biscuit, not in the mood to talk.

 

Snape crossed the room slowly and sat on the end of Harry’s bed. His eyes didn’t leave Harry’s face, even once. “Draco will be in to apologise soon, if he knows what's good for him.”

 

"Don’t force him,” Harry said heavily. "I've heard worse - you know that.”

 

"That does not excuse his behaviour.” Snape was starting to look very angry, now. "You will not be spoken to like that in my household.”

 

“He'll calm down after the trial,” Harry said gloomily. He had to hope, at least…

 

“Indeed.” Snape ran his hands over his face, clearly exhausted. “This has turned out to be a highly difficult situation for everyone involved. To be perfectly frank, Harry, I'm not quite sure how to address any of this with Draco. He simply refuses to be helped.”

 

“I’m not sure if there is a way to help him, honestly,” Harry said, hugging his knees to his chest. “It was always going to be terrible for him - and for us by extension.”

 

“Unfortunately, you may be right.” Snape sighed heavily. “But just know - we will get through this. When Draco’s parents were originally tried at the end of July, things were actually worse than this, but he learned to cope eventually….”

 

Harry’s eyes widened. “How could he be worse than he is now?!”

 

“It was not a very pleasant month,” Snape said grimly. His eyes were narrowed. “He is rapidly using up my reserves of goodwill once more. Emotions may be running high right now, but after the trial, I will not be making any more allowances for his behaviour, and neither should you. He will not speak to you so disrespectfully any longer.”

 

“Okay…” Harry, who despite everything still felt bad for Draco, didn’t really know if he had it in him to yell back at the other boy if he kept being so rude. He was certainly angry about what Draco had said to him, but worst of all was the hurt. He hated that Draco was using his deepest insecurities against him like this…

 

“I might just go to bed now,” Harry muttered, averting his gaze from Snape’s face. He wanted to wallow in peace.

 

“Very well.” 

 

Snape stayed there for a few moments, though, just staring at Harry. There was something like frustration obvious on his features before he Occluded it away. Harry very purposefully got to his feet and headed to his wardrobe, which Snape luckily picked up on as his cue to leave.

 

“And Harry? For what it’s worth…” Snape hesitated for a moment, before his eyes turned steely with resolution. “Family does not simply mean those you share blood with. You do have a family, now. Remember that.”

 

Harry managed a thin smile, even though his chest was aching. 

 

Late that night, when Harry laid awake, staring into the darkness and thinking, his door swung open. He instantly recognised the level breathing as Draco’s. He stood in the doorway for over a minute before speaking.

 

“I’m sorry,” he whispered. Something in Draco’s voice was tight and choked, like he’d been crying. “I don’t know why I always say such dreadful things.”

 

Harry knew that at times like this, Draco liked to sit at the end of his bed for a time, to feel less alone. The right thing to do would be to let Draco in, to give him company…

 

But Harry was hurt, and that pain left him angry. He hardened his heart and pointedly turned over, shutting out Draco entirely. The other boy lingered for a few more moments, then sighed heavily. His footsteps padded off down the corridor, and his bedroom door creaked shut. 

 


 

The morning of the trial dawned cold and windy. It was so overcast outside that the murky green lakelight which normally streamed through the dungeon windows was almost entirely absent; inky, rolling waves pressed against the glass, leaving them in flickering candlelight

 

They ate breakfast in their quarters that day, instead of in the Great Hall. It was one of the worst meals Harry had ever sat through, nearly as insufferable as those awkward, stilted breakfasts they’d all endured in early August. Snape seemed exhausted and weary, eyes slightly bloodshot, but his haggardness was nothing compared to Draco’s. He was distracted, silent and sullen, and his eyes were puffy and red. His skin was a sickly shade of white, and every time Harry looked at him, he was struck by how much Draco looked like a corpse. 

 

To Harry's immense surprise, Draco didn't once beg Snape to be allowed to go to the trial. After at least a fortnight of constant nagging, Harry would have expected Draco to be insufferable today…

 

But Harry almost would have preferred those mean-spirited, cruel comments about the Dursleys to Draco's silent misery. He wished that there was something he could do to make it better, but Harry knew it was hopeless. 

 

Snape was in a similarly grim mood. He was fully dressed in a travelling cloak when he sat down at the table, and ate briskly and efficiently. He rose to his feet before Harry and Draco were even halfway finished eating - not that Draco had consumed a bite of breakfast, of course. He'd spent most of the meal stirring a bowl of porridge without speaking.

 

“I'll be back as soon as I can be,” he promised. “Remember, I’ve left that Floo powder on the mantelpiece. Goodbye.”

 

He paused for a moment, like he was waiting for someone to reply. Harry quietly bade him farewell, but Draco didn't say a word. Snape just sighed and walked over to the fireplace, where he threw in a handful of Floo powder and called out, “Ministry for Magic Atrium!”

 

Harry worriedly watched Draco as Snape vanished in a whirlwind of green flames, wondering what he was thinking. Draco was staring into the fireplace with a crease between his eyebrows.

 

“Severus doesn't normally leave the Floo powder out here, does he?” he said quietly. “He keeps it in his office with him, and uses that fireplace if he needs something.”

 

“Oh. Yeah, I think he wanted us to have some in case we needed to call someone,” Harry shrugged. 

 

“Hmm.” Draco continued to stare at the fireplace, then abruptly got to his feet and walked into the bathroom without saying another word. A minute later, Harry heard the shower splutter to life. He sighed to himself, retrieved his Divination textbook from his bedroom and settled back down at the kitchen table to attend to his schoolwork. Somehow, Harry didn't get the sense Draco would be joining him.

 


 

When Draco finally came out of his room three and a half hours later, a strange feeling of apprehension curled up in Harry's stomach. Something was off about Draco's appearance. 

 

He was generally a well-groomed person, but Draco had put even more than his usual effort into his hair and face, which didn’t look nearly as gaunt and haunted as it had that morning. Even more unusually, he was wearing a cloak over his robes, like he was prepared to go out. 

 

“Are you cold or something?” Harry asked.

 

“What?” Draco said distractedly.

 

Harry gestured to him. “You're wearing your cloak.”

 

“Oh.” Draco looked down at himself, like that news had come as something of a surprise to him. “Right. I am, yeah. Excuse me…”

 

He walked past Harry and down the branching hallway which led to Snape's bedroom. Suspicion began to worm its way through Harry's gut. What on earth did Draco need from there? Both of them very rarely entered Snape’s room…

 

Something was definitely wrong. Since Snape had put Harry in charge of keeping an eye on Draco today, he knew he had to intervene in whatever this was. Harry quickly got to his feet and made a beeline for Snape's bedroom.

 

And the minute he entered, he was met with the sight of Draco pulling down the Invisibility Cloak from the top shelf of Snape's wardrobe. 

 

When he heard Harry push the door open, Draco froze in place. He looked as though he'd just been caught stealing from the cookie jar.

 

“What are you doing?” Harry demanded.

 

“Er - nothing -”

 

“How is nicking my Invisibility Cloak from Severus' room nothing?!” he said loudly.

 

“I need it, okay?” Draco snapped, tucking the cloak under his arm. “Please don't make this difficult, Harry -”

 

“You tell me what you're doing right now!” Harry said, folding his arms and glaring. 

 

Draco hesitated for a moment, then sighed defeatedly. “I’m going to the Ministry."

 

Harry scoffed. “The hell you are!”

 

“I'm going.” 

 

Draco's tone was dangerous. It was only then that Harry noticed the wand in Draco's trembling hand, pointing straight at him. A breath caught in the back of Harry’s throat.

 

This was not good.

 

“Imagine what Severus would say if he knew you were doing this,” Harry said in a quiet, level voice. He felt like he was trying to soothe some sort of feral animal before it lashed out with a clawed blow.

 

“Severus isn't going to know.” Draco’s voice was thick with emotion. “You don't understand, Harry, I - I have to do this. I have to be there!”

 

“What's even the plan here, Draco?” Harry demanded angrily. “How are you even going to get there?!”

 

“Severus left that Floo powder out, and I'll use it to go to the Atrium,” Draco said, refusing to meet Harry's eyes. “I know the Ministry well - Mother and Father used to take me sometimes, when they met with the Minister and his wife. I know that no one’ll be around at this time, and if they are, I'll make up some kind of excuse. It’s going to be fine! All I'm going to do is sit under the Invisibility Cloak in the courtroom viewing area, Harry -”

 

“But I don't understand the point!” Harry said, pressing a hand to his temples. He felt a migraine rapidly developing from the strain of the situation.

 

If they lock my father up in Azkaban for the rest of his life, which I bet they will, then this is my last opportunity to ever see him, Harry!” Draco shouted. His grey eyes were glittering with unshed tears. “He’ll probably be dead before I’m seventeen!”

 

“But Draco -”

 

“I have to sit there, and I have to hear for myself what he's done, so maybe I can start to understand what kind of man my father truly is!” he added, hands curling into fists. “I don't know how to explain - and I don’t think you could understand, anyway. I just need to be there, Harry!”

 

“Severus told you not to!” Harry protested.

 

“And Severus isn't going to find out,” Draco growled. He hitched the cloak further up under his arm and took a step forward. “I'm going, and you're not going to stop me.”

 

He went to go past Harry, but he stretched his arms out to bar the exit.

 

“The minute you go, I'll tell McGonagall,” he threatened. “Severus will find you after, and you’ll be in so much trouble. It won’t be worth it.”

 

A twisted look of pain crossed Draco's face. “I don't care what happens to me after - I just need to go!”

 

“I can't let you!” Harry said loudly.

 

Draco roughly shoved through him, and started hurrying towards the fireplace. Harry sprinted over and blockaded the fireplace with his body, instead. He tried to grab the Floo powder off the mantelpiece, but Draco snatched the jar up as Harry's fingers just barely brushed the sides and hugged it closely to his chest, where Harry couldn’t snatch it away.

 

“Go away!” Draco said angrily.

 

He knew he looked a bit stupid, stretched out in front of the fire as he was, but Harry refused to move, even if he was getting uncomfortably warm. “Draco, this is a really bad idea, and you know it!”

 

Draco could hex Harry, or even shove him, but Harry didn't think Draco would do that. He hoped not, at least. It was hard to be certain when Draco looked so furious. His face had flushed a deep pink, and his chest was heaving.

 

“I want to see my father one last time, and if you keep trying to stop me, Harry, I will never forgive you!” Draco shouted. His eyes were like deep, frozen pools of fury. “I will hate you, and I will not stop hating you for the rest of my life.”

 

It was like he’d sucked all of the oxygen out of Harry’s lungs, leaving him lightheaded and reeling. That comment cut deeply, because Harry knew Draco meant it. He was looking at Harry with an expression of true loathing, after all. If he stopped Draco from getting to his father today, Harry would never be forgiven for it. Everything they’d built would be destroyed.

 

It was like Harry had been gifted with clairvoyance. He could just picture the way the rest of his future would unfold… Draco would despise him, and everything would go back to the way it had been before August. and it would hurt a million times more than it had before they had cared about each other. Worst of all, Draco would make that hatred known. It would be like living with the Dursleys all over again… summers of torment with someone who truly detested him.

 

And Harry knew he couldn’t bear that. He couldn’t lose Draco.

 

“You said we were brothers, Harry.” Draco said, a slight tremor in his voice. “If that meant anything to you, then you’d prove it and let me do this. That’s what family does - they help each other. Please, Harry.”

 

His resolution broke. 

 

“I’m coming with you,” Harry said abruptly.

 

Draco scowled. “As if -”

 

“No, hear me out.” 

 

If Harry couldn’t stop Draco from going - and he certainly couldn’t, if he wanted to salvage their friendship - then he had to try and minimise the damage Draco was going to do by heading into the Ministry. So, he began to do some very quick thinking.

 

Harry highly doubted he would be able to hold Draco off. He didn’t want to hurt Draco, but the other boy would be more than willing to hex him right now, as painful as that was to realise. Draco was going to go to the Ministry no matter what Harry did, and he couldn’t think of a single way to stop the other boy. By the time Draco Flooed away and Harry got ahold of Professor McGonagall, he would be hidden under the Invisibility Cloak and impossible to find in the Ministry for Magic. 

 

Snape might have his own special way of finding Draco, but he was also in the Ministry, completely out of reach in the courtroom. Harry had absolutely no one to turn to, except for himself.

 

Draco was volatile. Harry still vividly remembered the shopping incident from his first days at Spinner’s End, where Draco had thrown ornaments around Snape’s living room, or the violent fit of rage he’d had after his father had been charged in September, or the fit of temper from just two days ago when he’d argued with Snape. When Lucius Malfoy was sentenced to life in Azkaban, as it seemed likely he would be, Draco was going to react, and he was going to react badly. Someone needed to know where he was, and needed to be there to pick up the pieces…

 

And even if Draco couldn’t stand Harry right now, he cared enough about Draco to want to protect him. Right now, that seemed to mean protecting him from himself, and mitigating whatever damage he was about to cause.

 

“I’m not going to let you face this alone,” Harry said softly. “Like you said - we’re brothers. If you’re going to do this, I’m coming.”

 

“How do I know I can trust you not to grab someone in the Ministry or something?” Draco’s angry expression had softened slightly, but he still looked suspicious. “You obviously don’t think this is a good idea…”

 

“No, I think it’s bloody stupid, but I’m not going to stop you,” Harry sighed. His heart had started to thud horribly. “And I’m not going to try and sabotage you while we’re there, either. I’d be in just as much trouble as you if I get caught in the Ministry, right? Why would I try to get us found out? But look - I’m coming, and you can’t stop me.”

 

There was a moment of terrible tension as the two of them stared at each other, not knowing what would happen next.

 

“Okay,” Draco whispered. Harry’s shoulders sagged with relief. “Harry, I - thank you. Just… thank you.”

 

He looked so relieved, it was heartbreaking. At that moment, Harry felt at least a little more confident that he was making the right choice. It was obvious that Draco didn’t want to attend the trial alone, even though he was still so hellbent on going in the first place. This was going to be okay - Draco wasn’t going to hate him, and Harry was still making sure his brother wouldn’t get hurt going to this trial by accompanying him. 

 

Harry just hoped Snape would see things that way.

 

Good God, Snape. The prospect of the man finding out that they were doing this sent a chill down Harry’s spine. He had to understand that Harry didn’t have a choice - Harry couldn’t face the prospect of Draco hating him, he just couldn’t. Even thinking about it was unbearable. Hopefully, if Harry was there to look after Draco while he did this stupid thing, he wouldn’t end up with Snape hating Harry for mismanaging this situation so horribly… he just didn’t know what else to do! 

 

Breathe, a harsh voice in the back of his head reminded him.

 

Harry pressed his lips together and sucked in air through his nose, then pushed it out of his mouth. Snape was a reasonable person. If he found out, then Harry could at least explain where he was coming from… but no matter what explanation he gave, no matter how good it was, Snape would be furious. Harry would certainly be in some sort of trouble, but precisely how much was still to be determined.

 

So Harry just needed to make sure Snape didn't find out.

 

After one last tense breath, Harry turned back to Draco. He settled for giving Draco one last furious look, hating him for putting Harry in this position, before he pushed everything down and away.

 

“Right, then.” Harry crossed his arms. “Fill me in on the plan.”

To be continued...
The Trial of Lucius Malfoy by aspionage

Harry knew that he wasn’t exactly one to talk when it came to rash, half-baked plans, but the idea Draco had conjured up was bad even by his standards.

 

“It’s simple, really,” Draco said. He was tapping one foot rapidly against the ground, like he was just itching to get away already. “Severus apparently had the fireplace connected to the Ministry Atrium for today, so he could get to the trial more easily. That means we can sneak straight in without having to faff about at the visitor’s entrance. I’ve been to the Ministry for Magic countless times with Mother and Father, so I could practically find my way to Courtroom Ten blindfolded - we’ll just nip down a deserted hallway, throw the Invisibility Cloak on, and sneak in.”

 

“It’s really that easy?” Harry asked sceptically.

 

Draco scoffed. “Of course - I wouldn’t go if I didn’t know what I was doing! This’ll be a piece of cake.”

 

Harry arched an eyebrow but didn’t otherwise comment. He was going along, doomed plan or not, so he simply had to satisfy himself with the situation he had found himself in. It wasn’t like Harry could offer any advice; he’d never been to the Ministry for Magic, after all. 

 

“Now, put your wrist out,” Draco ordered. “The one with the tracker.”

 

“Er… why?” Harry asked hesitantly. 

 

“I’m going to get rid of it.” Draco said in a low voice. “Hurry up! You’re already slowing me down!”

 

Harry obeyed, and extended his wrist. Draco pressed his wand against the silver bangle and muttered, “Calefactorus.”

 

A red glow emanated from the tip of his wand, and in under a second, a segment of the tracker melted away small, silver droplets which rained to the floor. Moments later, scorching heat seared against Harry’s flesh.

 

“Owch!” Harry snatched his wrist back and cradled it against his chest, glaring at Draco. “What are you doing?!”

 

Draco winced. “Sorry, I’m not great at that spell. Just let me do the other side? I promise I won’t burn you again.”

 

Harry briefly examined his wrist - there was a small patch of shiny red skin where Draco had burned him. This was going to blister, Harry realised with a grimace. He had enough experience with cooking to be able to tell his burns apart by now. At least a decent chunk of the tracker had melted away. Draco’s spell, crude as it was, actually worked. It was that which convinced Harry to hold his wrist out once again.

 

This time, Draco was noticeably more careful. Before the burning spell he was using reached Harry’s skin, the tracker melted through and fell in two parts to the ground.

 

Harry stared at the two halves of the bangle lying on the flagstones, shocked. “Could I have really removed that so easily the entire time?”

 

Draco scoffed. “Obviously. It’s designed for wandless five-year-olds who Apparate away from their parents, Harry. They’re not going to be able to melt it off like that!”

 

“Oh.” Harry felt a little embarrassed that he hadn’t thought of that sooner, then. It all still felt too easy, though…

 

“Won’t the enchantments be broken now?” he asked worriedly. “If he checks his tracker, Severus won't be able to see my location, and he’ll know something’s off.”

 

“It’ll probably be fine,” Draco said in a breezy tone which did not inspire confidence. “It’ll just show your last given location if he checks in. If he checks twice, then we might have a problem, but I doubt he can be bothered.”

 

“Wait, what?” Harry was becoming more and more confused with every passing moment. “I thought he just looked down whenever he felt like it to check where I was. I don’t understand this tracker at all!”

 

“Honestly, Harry!” Draco said exasperatedly. “It’s like you don’t know anything! The trackers both have corresponding runes - Severus looks down, and has to translate them into numbers for your coordinates. If they’re unfamiliar coordinates, then he has to do a spell to get a more precise read on where you are. It’s a lot of effort - he obviously can’t be bothered to do that all the time, no matter how obsessive he gets about keeping tabs on you. He’ll be too preoccupied watching the trial to care what you’re up to.”

 

“Oh - alright, then.” Harry stared at his wrist and circled it a few times, marvelling at the simplicity of Draco’s solution.

 

“Enough about the tracker,” Draco said, pushing the remains under the sofa with his foot. “We need to go already, or we’re going to miss the trial.”

 

Harry sighed loudly and shot Draco a dark look, but didn’t otherwise protest. Draco was currently staring at the fireplace, face significantly paler than it had been a moment ago. He looked dreadfully anxious. Was he nervous about seeing his father? Scared to break into the Ministry for Magic, perhaps?

 

Draco coughed slightly, and held out the Floo powder. “Could you, er - well, I think we should Floo there together. Since you’ve never been, of course…”

 

“Sure.”

 

Harry knew that wasn’t the real reason. He was almost entirely certain that Draco’s reluctance to Floo alone was due to the fire at Malfoy Manor… his anxious demeanour was starting to make a lot more sense. Of course, since dignity was so important to Draco, he would never actually admit to a worry like that.

 

“Is it even possible to Floo together?” Harry asked.

 

“It’ll be a squeeze, but yes,” Draco said. He reached into the jar, grabbed a handful of Floo powder, and threw it onto the flames. Green firelight illuminated them. “Grab my hand so you don’t fall out.”

 

Harry obeyed. He could feel Draco’s hand trembling in his as they stepped into the flames, clammy and cold. In the moments before he called out their location, Harry was almost certain that Draco was going to sick up.

 

The journey was somehow more bumpy than usual - two people squeezed into the network of chimneys meant a lot more whacking of elbows and knees. By the time they were spat out at their location, Harry was fairly certain he’d wake up black and blue all over tomorrow morning.

 

After spluttering and coughing for several moments, choked by the soot, Harry pushed himself to his feet and realised he was in a large, splendid Atrium lined with fireplaces. Witches and wizards were bustling around the dark-panelled room, not paying one bit of attention to the new arrivals. Harry stared with his mouth hanging open slightly, his eyes lingering on a particularly magnificent golden fountain. After a moment, though, he shook himself. Harry could stare later - they needed to get going.

 

Harry glanced to his left and saw Draco standing still as a statue to the left of the fireplace they’d exited. He had turned slightly green, and was visibly shaking. He looked the way Harry felt whenever he had one of his panic attacks - the Floo Network must have taken a greater toll on Draco than he’d anticipated. Harry placed a hand on Draco’s shoulder, mind racing. He tried to emulate what Snape would do in a time like this.

 

“Er… take some deep breaths or something, okay?” he said quietly. “And try and Occlude, like you were taught. That’ll help. Picture the, um… the forest in Wiltshire that you like. Do that, and just breathe. It’s okay. We can wait.”

 

To Harry’s immense relief, Draco listened to him. His breaths started to even out, and some of the tension melted from his features. After about a minute, he snapped upright, focused and prepared.

 

“Right,” Draco said briskly, brushing down his robes. His hands were still trembling slightly, but he shoved them into his pockets to hide the motion. “We need to get going. Since we were technically supposed to use the visitors entrance, we need to be careful - there might be some tricky questions from security if we’re noticed. Act like you have the right to be here.”

 

Draco marched onward with his chin raised haughtily in the air. Harry couldn’t help his groan as he trailed behind. His whole body was tense. He didn’t know how to act like he belonged when every cell of his body was screaming out about how wrong it was to be here. His chest was so tight and painful that Harry was becoming quickly convinced he was having a stress-induced heart attack.

 

“I’d like to make it clear again that I think this is a terrible idea,” Harry grumbled. “It’s not too late to go home -”

 

“If it’s so stupid, then you go back!” Draco narrowed his eyes. “I never asked for you to come!”

 

Well if Harry hadn’t been there, as he wanted to point out, then Draco would have just succumbed to a massive panic attack in the Ministry for Magic Atrium. As he sensed this comment was not helpful in the slightest, Harry barely refrained from speaking his mind and kept marching onwards. 

 

“So here’s the plan,” Draco said quietly as they hurried towards the end of the large Atrium. “There’s a side corridor next to the lift that leads to the Department for Ministry Maintenance. It’s never busy. We can duck into there, throw on the Invisibility Cloak, and sneak into the elevator. That’ll take us down to the courtrooms, where -”

 

“Excuse me.” Someone tapped Harry on the shoulder, and he jumped. A pinch-faced woman with greasy red hair was looming behind them. She was frowning.

 

“What exactly are you two doing here?” she asked in a nasally sort of voice. “You’re a bit young to be out of school, aren’t you? Especially without some sort of chaperone? Who are you, and what exactly is your business in the Ministry for Magic today?”

 

Harry felt equal parts worry and hope. If this woman thought they were really suspicious, perhaps she’d take them off somewhere before Draco could get down to the courtrooms! Then, Harry wouldn’t get the blame for the plan falling apart, and Draco wouldn’t hate him… they’d still be in massive trouble, but Harry couldn’t see a way around that inevitable consequence at this point. At least they might be in slightly less trouble than they’d be if caught entering the trial proceedings…

 

But unfortunately for Harry, Draco was far too smart for his own good. Looking every bit the arrogant, spoilt, Pureblooded heir, he gave the woman a derisive and disgusted look. “I beg your pardon? Who are we? Do you have any idea who you’re talking to?”

 

The corners of the lady’s mouth twisted further down. “I… well, I don’t suppose I do -”

 

“We have every right to be here, thank you very much!” Draco said pompously. “As for why we aren’t in school, you do realise that this is Harry Potter, don’t you? He has frequent meetings in the Ministry for Magic, as I expect you’d know!”

 

The woman’s eyes flicked up to Harry’s forehead, and widened to the size of saucers. A nasty-looking red flush spread across her neck. “I - I… yes, of course. You must have every right to be here… I apologise, Mr Potter.”

 

“We have things to be getting on with that don’t involve harassment from officials,” Draco said curtly. “Now, if you’ll excuse us, we’re rather busy?” 

 

Draco turned on his heel and began to walk off, looking vaguely disgusted. The woman appeared too flabbergasted and embarrassed to attempt further questioning, and stood frozen in the middle of the Atrium with her mouth hanging open. Once they were out of her sight and deep into a quiet corridor, Draco breathed a sigh of relief.

 

“That was close,” he whispered, wiping his forehead.

 

“How did you do that?” Harry asked, awed.

 

“It’s surprisingly easy to get what you want if you just act like you belong,” Draco said softly, reaching into his pocket to shake out the Invisibility Cloak. “Your fame was rather helpful, mind. You should use it more often…”

 

Harry scowled. “You know perfectly well that I don’t -”

 

“Yes, yes, you hate fame, want to pretend you aren’t famous, et cetera, I’m aware,” Draco drawled, waving a hand dismissively. Harry bit down on the inside of his cheek and struggled against the urge to unleash a furious retort. His patience was reaching dangerously low levels…

 

 Draco eyed the cloak thoughtfully. “So we just duck under and we’re invisible?”

 

“As it’s an Invisibility Cloak, yes!” Harry’s hands balled into fists. All he wanted to do was snatch the Invisibility Cloak back from Draco, and never let him touch it again. It was Harry’s, and he had no right to take it like this!

 

Draco quickly hid the two of them under the silvery fabric. “Brilliant. Now, let’s go to the lift.”

 

“I still can’t believe you nicked this,” Harry said irritably. “Snape already warned me to not use this, you know. If we get caught and he takes away my cloak now, I won’t be happy with you -”

 

“Be quiet!” Draco hissed. “This cloak stops people from seeing you, it doesn’t render them deaf!”

 

Harry ground his teeth but kept quiet as they came face to face with a set of elevator doors. There was a ding, and the golden grills slid open. Several tired-looking witches shuffled out, eyes half-lidded and hair suspiciously singed.

 

The lift wasn’t that crowded, to Harry’s relief. He and Draco shuffled in and squeezed themselves into a corner to the left of a drab-looking man who smelled rather strongly of perspiration. Luckily, the cloud of body odour stopped any people from trying to stand near the man, and therefore stopped them from being in a place where they might bump into the invisible Harry and Draco. 

 

They descended down a number of floors, all with strange department names that Harry would have dedicated further attention to untangling if he wasn’t so dreadfully nervous that he’d be caught under the cloak at any moment. It didn’t help that the elevator was violently lurching up, down, and from side to side, and he and Draco couldn’t grab onto the golden ropes above to steady themselves. He could have sworn the sweaty man cast a suspicious look in their direction when the cloak flapped up, revealing a glimpse of their shoes, but he quickly seemed to dismiss it.

 

Draco and Harry were the last to exit the elevator, on Level Ten of the Ministry. Draco silently grabbed Harry’s hand and started leading him along a series of winding, cobblestone corridors that reminded him of the Hogwarts dungeons. The walls were occasionally marked by heavy, iron doors.

 

“We’re in Courtroom Ten,” Draco breathed. “Should be along here somewhere…”

 

But when they approached a particularly threatening-looking iron door, Draco fell short, and Harry stumbled to a halt next to him. A gruff security wizard stood outside, arms folded. Hope bloomed in Harry’s chest. There was no way they could open this door without the man seeing them, even if they were invisible. Maybe, just maybe, they could finally turn back -

 

The door creaked open. Another security wizard who bore a striking resemblance to Goyle was leading a furious witch with a notepad and quill out by the arm.

 

“You ain’t allowed to be ‘ere, miss,” he grunted.

 

“You ought to let me in!” The witch seethed. “I’m a journalist -”

 

“‘Fraid I can’t,” the wizard said with a shake of his head. “Only authorised personnel can enter the viewing area. Shoulda gotten your media pass weeks ago!”

 

“But I’m with Witch Weekly!” she protested shrilly. 

 

As the two continued to argue, Draco grabbed onto Harry’s shoulder and yanked him through the open door. Mere moments later, the security wizards slammed it shut again.

 

The room they found themselves in was dimly lit, with spluttering torches in brackets casting strange shadows against the stone walls. The platform they were on could have seated about fifty, and witches and wizards were pressed shoulder to shoulder on the stone benches, craning their necks to see what was going on below. Several were also crowded at the back, and Harry and Draco had to take care to avoid them as they tried to watch the events occurring below the viewing platform.

 

Rows and rows of witches and wizards were arranged in large circles around the centre of the room, all watching a trembling, hunched man with thinning black hair who was speaking. Every now and then, the wizard would cast a nervous glance at the chair to his right, which was hung with menacing-looking silver chains. The wizard was speaking so softly that Harry had to strain his ears to hear his words, even though the dungeon was silent. 

 

“Edgar Bones was already down, you see,” the man mumbled. “H-He’d taken a Cutting Curse to the leg, and couldn’t walk. I was just trying to drag him from the field, when I saw him. Malfoy, that is.”

 

“And you’re certain you recognised him, Mr Hussain?” An important-looking man in purple Auror robes asked. He was strangely gnarled and grizzled, and had a great mane of greying golden hair that reminded Harry of a lion.

 

The balding man nodded vigorously. “His mask was gone - it had fallen off in battle, I presume. And, of course, the Malfoy hair is…rather recognisable…” He shivered. “Malfoy barely looked at me. He shot the Killing Curse directly at Bones, even though he obviously wasn’t a threat in such a state, and - well, his wand was aimed at me, next. I - I barely dodged out of the way of the Killing Curse in time… he lost me in the thick of it, and I escaped the wards and Apparated away.”

 

“Thank you for the testimony, Mr Hussain. That will be all.”

 

Mr Hussain nodded, his shoulders sagging with relief. He began to stumble from the courtroom, and a witch who Harry suspected might be his wife hopped up from a bench, took his arm and led him to a heavy wooden door. Two wizards yanked it open, ushered the couple out, and slammed the door shut. The thud echoed through the entire dungeon, reverberating off the stone walls.

 

“We have now heard all the evidence,” the lion-like man announced. “Mr Malfoy can be brought in for our final judgements.”

 

“Yes, Mr Scrimgeour.” The door guards nodded, faces hardening. 

 

Disapproving whispers snaked around the room as the wizards vanished, and Harry heard Draco let out a shuddering gasp to his right. He reached out and squeezed the other boy’s clammy hand, hoping to provide comfort as well as a nonverbal reminder that Draco needed to be quiet. They really couldn’t be found here, especially now, and that meant they mustn't be heard.

 

While everyone in the silent dungeon focused their attentions on the wooden door, deathly silent, Harry took a minute to scan the faces for anyone he might recognise. Most of the wizards surrounding the chained chair were unfamiliar, but Harry quickly recognised the white hair and long beard of Professor Dumbledore. He was seated directly behind Mr Scrimgeour, who appeared to be in charge of this trial. Harry also spotted the Minister for Magic, Cornelius Fudge, by his lime bowler hat. The usually jolly man was looking exceptionally grim.

 

The rest of the wizards in the courtroom circle below weren’t recognisable to Harry, but he knew a fair few people in the viewing area. He immediately spotted the bright orange hair of Mr Weasley. He was seated directly behind the one person who Harry particularly didn’t want to be caught by in the courtroom - Snape. His face wasn’t visible from where Harry and Draco stood, but judging from his rigid profile, he was certainly displeased. A curly-haired witch sat to his left, who Harry thought might be Andromeda Tonks. He couldn’t quite tell, since her head was bowed.

 

His scanning of the room was disrupted by the wooden door thudding open again. The guards re-entered, prompting further whispers from the courtroom. Harry wondered why they didn’t have Lucius Malfoy with them. His question was answered as the wizards continued to hold the doors open, and an icy chill settled over the dungeon. Two Dementors glided into the room, dragging someone between them. Harry couldn’t help but flinch back. What was he going to do with Dementors in the same room as him, especially since Harry couldn’t cast a Patronus Charm without revealing their location?

 

But luckily for him, the Dementors were too far away to inflict their full effects. They did leave Harry feeling cold, unhappy, and so sick that bile coated his throat, but he didn’t faint, and that was the important thing.

 

Draco’s hand was gripping Harry’s so tightly that he thought the other boy’s nails might have broken skin. He winced, but didn’t let go, and refocused on the scene before him. 

 

The man in between the Dementors barely looked alive. His grey Azkaban robes were ragged and hung overlarge on the wizard’s haggard, gaunt frame, and he didn’t appear to have the strength to walk himself over to the chained chair the Dementors were dragging him to. The minute they set the man down, the chains on the chair glowed golden and snaked all around the wizard’s body, binding him in place.

 

Only then, Harry realised that this was Lucius Malfoy.

 

He didn’t look one bit like the man Harry remembered. The Lucius Malfoy he recalled from last year had been tall, imposing and haughty. Every ounce of the grandeur and poise Lucius had once emanated had vanished, leaving nothing but skin and bones bound in place by heavy chains. 

 

But it wasn’t the gaunt cheeks, lank and thinning blonde hair, or unshaven face that made Lucius so unrecognisable - it was his eyes. They were sunken into his face, and didn’t carry a flicker of life or emotion. He scarcely looked human.

 

“You have been brought before the Council of Magical Law,” Mr Scrimgeour said gravely, “for a series of crimes perpetrated under the service of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. While you were originally cleared of these charges, new evidence which we have now heard has come to light -”

 

“I plead not guilty,” Lucius rasped. His voice was strained and reedy, nothing like it had once been. With a surge of horror, Harry abruptly understood that Lucius must have screamed himself hoarse in Azkaban. “I was under the Imperius Curse during the war.”

 

“A claim which has been disproven,” Scrimgeour said in a hard voice, “by the series of Dark artefacts you have happily stored in your house for the last decade, as well as the violent wave of Dark magic you invoked during an authorised Ministry search.”

 

“You’ve misunderstood, Rufus, I was Cursed!” Lucius said frantically. His hands had clawed around the armrests of the chair. “I - I wasn’t in my right mind in the last war! You’ve known me a long time now, Rufus, you know I would never -”

 

Draco was shaking rather violently next to Harry. He reached his other hand over, taking great care not to jostle the Invisibility Cloak, and rubbed soothing circles into Draco’s shoulder in vain attempt to keep him somewhat calm. 

 

Harry could finally understand fully why Snape had been so vehemently opposed to Draco attending this trial. No one ought to see their father like this, weak and pleading. This was wrong - deeply, dreadfully wrong.

 

“This is not a matter for debate, Mr Malfoy,” Scrimgeour said coldly. “We are not discussing if you were under the Curse - we are discussing what to do about the actions you knowingly and willingly carried out in service of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.”

 

“I am a good man!” Lucius said, his voice higher pitched than usual. His eyes were alive now, with terror and fervour. “You all know me intimately - I advised many of you on Department matters, I donate to charity, organise events - I’m a family man! I had a newborn son at the time you said I did these dreadful things! What sort of a person do you take me for?”

 

Draco shuddered violently under Harry’s palms.

 

“You certainly can’t believe this, Cornelius?” Lucius turned to the Minister, who let out a rather undignified squeak. He seemed terrified to be addressed. “You know me, you know my wife, our characters - surely, if I had been a Death Eater all this time, you all would have known!” Lucius’ breathing was coming in hard, fast gasps. “Why would I have walked amongst you for twelve years if I sympathised with the Dark Lord -”

 

“Enough,” Scrimgeour said unfeelingly. He shook his head and turned his back on Lucius, who fell silent, chest heaving. 

 

Scrimgeour faced the circle of witches and wizards. They were all whispering - some of them seemed sympathetic, others furious. Harry noticed the glares directed at Lucius significantly outweighed the pitying glances.

 

Scrimgeour raised his wand. “I now ask the Council for Magical Law to raise their hands if they believe this wizard deserves a lifetime term in Azkaban prison.”

 

The witches and wizards around the right hand side of the dungeon began to raise their hands. Harry held his breath as he counted them - it wasn’t the entirety of the jury, he noted, but it was a sizable majority, including Dumbledore and the Minister for Magic himself. It was more than enough to put Lucius behind bars…

 

And it seemed like Draco had been counting, too. He let out a quiet and strangely animalistic moan. Harry had never heard a noise like it, and he hoped never to again. It was a sound of pain unlike anything he’d ever heard, and branded an ache deep in Harry’s chest. 

 

This is wrong, he thought again. Draco shouldn’t see this. He shouldn’t be here…

 

“The Council has spoken,” Scrimgeour declared. Murmurs broke out in the courtroom. Many witches and wizards looked deeply shocked, while some looked satisfied, others disappointed. Cornelius Fudge had started to perspire rather profusely, and was dabbing at his shiny forehead with a handkerchief. He was obviously trying very hard not to look at Lucius Malfoy.

 

Lucius glared around at all of them as the Dementors glided forwards. His eyes were like chips of ice. He no longer looked like the husk of a man that had staggered in, begging for sympathy - this man was a hardened Death Eater, even in a broken body. Harry was struck by the sudden, unshakeable impression that part of Lucius’ terrified, shaken appearance might have just been an act to sway the Council. After all, he looked truly foreboding now…

 

“You’ll regret this,” Lucius said simply. 

 

Despite the reedy, gravelly quality that Lucius’ voice now held, there was a note of clear and obvious threat in his tone that sent a chill down Harry’s spine. Lucius was examining the council with a mixture of haughty distaste and a cold, slow-burning fury. Harry couldn’t help but feel certain that Lucius Malfoy was going to follow through on that threat, even with Azkaban to consider… 

 

The courtroom seemed unimpressed by this statement - his words caused the murmurs to explode into outright chatter and a few outraged yells.

 

“You traitor!” A man bellowed, accompanied by several approving jeers. A few people actually got to their feet and started shaking their fists.

 

Chin held high at last, Malfoy was led from the room, not phased in the slightest by the continual heckling. Despite his clear attempts to project an image of the man he’d once been, Lucius was barely halfway to the door before his legs wavered and gave out from beneath him, so the Dementors were forced to drag him once more. Harry noticed Snape shake his head as the door slammed shut behind him. 

 

It was lucky that the room was so loud - it disguised the ragged, gasping sob that Draco let out from next to him. Realising that the people around them would be moving away shortly, Harry forcibly dragged Draco into a small alcove beneath a spluttering torch which they were just small enough to squeeze into if they crouched down on the ground. It was just in time, too. Several witches and wizards walked through the exact space Harry and Draco had been occupying just seconds before as they hurried from the courtroom. One such wizard was actually Snape, who was deep in conversation with Arthur Weasley as they exited the dungeon together. Trailing a few steps behind was Andromeda Tonks, who looked weary beyond her years.

 

Draco’s arms abruptly wrapped around Harry, startling him, and he buried his face in Harry’s chest. After making sure that the Invisibility Cloak was secured, Harry returned the embrace. He patted Draco on the back, chest still aching dreadfully. Lucius deserved to be punished, certainly, but Draco? He was suffering for his father’s crimes, and he was going to keep on suffering as long as he bore the Malfoy name.

 

It wasn’t fair. None of this was.

 

“We’ll sneak out through the door in a bit, okay?” Harry whispered. “It’s too busy to leave right now.”

 

But even if it hadn’t been so crowded, Harry suspected he wouldn’t be able to get Draco anywhere right now. He was continuing to weep into Harry’s robes, trying to muffle his sobs with questionable success.

 

“I’m sorry, Draco,” Harry murmured, rubbing gentle circles into his shoulder. “I’m so sorry.”

 

Harry had never felt so hopeless. He wanted to do something, anything to make this better, but couldn’t think of what to do apart from continuing to hug the other boy, trying to provide anything resembling comfort. He couldn’t even begin to imagine what Draco was feeling right now, but Harry knew it must be terrible. He had never seen Draco this devastated before… in fact, he was shaking so violently that Harry was half-afraid Draco would actually fall to pieces in his arms.

 

Harry was so focused on his brother that he didn’t notice the person watching their alcove until they started clomping over. The continued, rhythmic thump of a wooden leg against cobblestone finally drew Harry’s attention away from Draco. A terrifying-looking man with a face that was more scar tissue than skin and a strange, whizzing, electric-blue eye was making his way over to their hiding spot. It almost looked like he was staring directly at them…

 

That’s impossible, Harry reminded himself. We’re invisible. Nobody can see under this cloak.

 

But despite that, the man just kept marching forwards. When he was just inches away, he snaked out a hand and snatched at the fabric of the Invisibility Cloak, ripping it from the top of their heads. Harry gasped as the terrifying wizard glowered down at them with his mismatched eyes, the uneven slash of his mouth pulling into a frown.

 

“It’ll take more than this to fool the likes of me,” he growled, stuffing the cloak into a pocket. “Now get up. You’re coming straight to the Auror office.”

To be continued...
The Department of Magical Law Enforcement by aspionage

Harry felt like his heart had stopped. 

 

The man leered down at them, whizzing eye darting between him and Draco. He looked deeply unimpressed as he reached forward, grabbed onto their collars, and yanked Harry and Draco to their feet. 

 

“You two certainly aren’t old enough to be in here!” he barked. “What are you playing at, eh?”

 

“I’m sorry,” Harry whispered. He felt like his limbs had been turned into lead. He couldn’t believe they’d just been caught sneaking into the Ministry of Magic! How on earth were they going to get out of this one?

 

“You ought to be sorry,” the wizard said severely. “Now, the two of you are coming with me!”

 

But before he started moving again, both of the man’s eyes landed on Draco’s tearstained face. He was taking in great, heaving gasps of air, trying to get control of himself with minimal success. Harry could tell by the pink flush on his cheeks that Draco was horribly embarrassed by his tears, but Harry really doubted there was anything he could do to stop them right now.

 

Something around the hard, angry slash of the wizard’s mouth seemed to soften slightly. He let go of Draco, reached into his robes, and pulled out a handkerchief. He handed it to Draco and muttered, “Dry your eyes, boy.”

 

“Thank you, Auror Moody,” Draco choked out, taking the handkerchief with trembling hands and furiously scrubbing his face with it. Harry watched the wizard - Moody - and wondered how Draco knew this man, and if Moody knew who Draco was. Harry somehow got the sense that a Malfoy being present in the current climate was far from ideal…

 

After waiting several moments for Draco to try and collect himself, Moody moved his hands so they were gripping Draco and Harry’s arms. “Come on…”

 

He began to lead them down the hallway at a surprisingly brisk pace, given his limp. Harry tried to keep his head bowed to hide his forehead as they were hauled from the viewing platform and into the main corridor to the courtroom. There were lots of witches and wizards milling about, casting curious looks as Moody marched them through the hallway, and Harry did not want his scar being recognised. He did, however, try to watch out for an adult he knew. Snape would surely be furious - in fact, Harry thought apoplectic wouldn't even begin to describe it - but at least he trusted Snape. Harry didn’t know this strange Auror, and he certainly didn’t know what was about to happen to them…

 

Panic bloomed in Harry’s chest. What had Draco dragged him into? Was the Auror taking them somewhere to be arrested and thrown into prison for trespassing? Would they be expelled, have their wands snapped, and be kicked out of Hogwarts? Where would Harry go if he wasn’t allowed to live there with Snape anymore? Would he be sent back to the Dursleys, or simply left to live on the streets?

 

By the time they entered the elevator, crammed with chattering individuals paying Harry and Draco minimal attention, the panic was making Harry’s breaths come in short, shallow spurts. Something began to rattle.

 

Draco elbowed him sharply. Harry turned to look at him, and noticed that his tears had stopped, although his eyes were awfully red and puffy.

 

“Stop freaking out!” he hissed. “You’re going to break something! Occlude, maybe?”

 

Harry gave him a jerky nod and tried his best to think of nothing but the Quidditch pitch. He had worked himself into such a state that he couldn’t manage anything even close to resembling calm, but the rhythmic Occlumency techniques at least helped him to stop the accidental magic. That was the last thing Harry needed at a time like this… what would the Aurors do if they could add destruction of government property to his list of crimes?

 

Moody had watched all of this occur, frown deepening, but didn’t say a word. He remained still and grim-faced until the cool female voice announced ‘Department for Magical Law Enforcement’, which sprang him back into action. Moody led them out of the elevator and down a long corridor. At the end stood a set of double doors beneath a golden sign reading ‘Auror Department’. The doors flew open on their own as they approached. 

 

The room reminded Harry of a Muggle office. There were mismatched, low-walled cubicles crammed into every available space, at which purple-robed wizards and witches were scribbling notes. The messenger bulletins from the lift were flying around from desk to desk, occasionally hitting passing Aurors in the head, and bursts of light exploded out from cubicles at random intervals. The walls were covered in bulletin boards - one particularly prominent one had the screaming photograph of Sirius Black directly in the centre, with reported sightings scribbled onto parchment and pinned around him. Harry shivered, and quickly looked away from Black’s mad, gaunt face.

 

The wallspace that wasn’t taken up by investigations was marked by locked doors, which Harry suspected might be interrogation rooms. One well-guarded door with a small, barred slot at the top looked as though it might lead to a set of cells. As Moody continued to lead them through the office, Harry felt a sickening lurch in his stomach. The Auror was surely taking them through there to lock them up!

 

But before they reached the barred door, Moody took a sharp right and pointed to a particularly large cubicle. “Sit.”

 

Harry was relieved to fall into the wooden, straight-backed chair. His legs felt like jelly by now, and were barely supporting his weight.

 

Moody thudded over to the other side of the cubicle and settled behind a highly messy desk, covered in all sorts of whirring devices and paperwork. He placed a finger beneath his chin and watched Harry and Draco, his whizzing stare unnerving. “Now, then - what to do with you…”

 

“Are we going to be arrested?” Harry whispered, his heart thudding madly in his chest.

 

Moody didn’t reply and continued to stare at them, magical blue eye darting from face to face. After a moment, he abruptly sighed.

 

“No,” he said gruffly. “Don’t get yourself into a flap, Potter. We’ve got more important things to do than throw teenagers in Azkaban for ending up in places they shouldn’t."

 

Harry’s shoulders slumped with relief. He didn’t bother to ask how Moody had known his name, and instead reached up to flatten his fringe over his scar.

 

Moody glanced over his shoulder to a cramped, empty desk in the back corner of his cubicle and scowled. “Of course, my apprentice has gone and vanished on me again! Retirement can’t come soon enough, let me tell you…” 

 

With a grunt, Moody lifted himself to his feet. He scanned the office, eyes pointing in different directions, then cupped his hands around his mouth and bellowed, “Nymphadora! Stop flirting with Goldstein and get over here!”

 

“Oh, stop it, Mad-Eye!” A woman said exasperatedly. “And how many times do I have to tell you not to call me -”

 

The conversation was cut off by a loud crashing sound. A pink-haired woman had fallen into the cubicle, barely catching herself on the squat corner desk before she hit the ground. The woman did not seem phased by her spectacular fall. She was too busy staring at them with her mouth agape. “Draco?!”

 

“Hi,” Draco said miserably, wrapping his arms around himself.

 

“You know this boy?” Moody demanded, jabbing a finger in Draco’s direction.

 

The woman nodded slowly, her eyes still fixed on Draco. “Yeah, he’s my cousin - Draco Malfoy.” 

 

Cousin - Harry presumed this was the Nymphadora Tonks who Andromeda had mentioned in December. She settled into the chair behind her squat desk, sitting on it backwards with her arms crossed over the top and legs hanging over the sides.

 

“We have really got to stop meeting like this,” Tonks said lightly.

 

“Got that right,” Draco muttered, hugging himself with his arms. 

 

Harry wondered what they were talking about, then remembered a comment from Draco about how his cousin had been the one to get his mother’s necklace to him after Narcissa and Lucius had been arrested. Draco had probably been taken to this very same office after all of that had gone down…

 

“Malfoy - I’d suspected.” Moody nodded knowingly. “This is all starting to make a bit more sense…”

 

“What is?” Tonks asked. She looked at Draco and frowned. “What exactly are they doing here, Moody? Shouldn’t you be in school, Draco?” 

 

“Yes - he should,” Moody said in a stern voice. He shook his head. “Instead, he and his friend decided to sneak into the Ministry under an Invisibility Cloak to watch Lucius Malfoy’s trial. I’m just about to call in their parents - or guardians, that is - to deal with this…”

 

Dread coiled into Harry’s stomach. “Er - couldn’t we just go straight back to school ourselves?”

 

“I don’t think so, laddie.” Moody attempted a facial expression that might have been raising an eyebrow. It was impossible to tell through the mass of scar tissue. “No, you aren’t worming your way out of this one. You should have thought about what your guardians would say before you skived off school and snuck in here!”

 

Snape was going to murder them. Harry, who hadn’t even wanted to go here in the first place, shot a furious look at Draco. Unfortunately, Harry couldn’t be properly angry when the other boy was still so clearly upset - it was like kicking a puppy.

 

“Onto business, then,” Moody said, pulling a form out of a desk drawer and scribbling something onto it. “Now, who do you live with these days, Malfoy?”

 

Draco looked as if he was going to refuse to answer in some vain attempt to avoid the wrath of their guardian, but Tonks jumped in when the silence began to stretch. “Severus Snape’s his guardian.”

 

“Ah, Snape. I’m familiar.” Moody scowled slightly, then shook himself. “And you, Potter?”

 

Harry opened his mouth to tell Moody he also lived with Snape, but before he had a chance, Draco sharply kicked Harry’s ankle and cut across him.

 

“Harry lives with his aunt and uncle. They’re Muggles.” Harry frowned, and stared at Draco in confusion as he quickly continued on. “They’re not great with magic. Er - I’m sure Severus would be happy to take Harry from here as well as me and let them know on your behalf. He’s our Potions professor, see.”

 

Harry didn’t have a clue why Draco was lying, but as the other boy pointedly kicked him under the table once again, he made sure to stay silent. There was clearly a reason here, something Harry was missing.

 

Moody seemed to think things over for a moment. “Well, I suppose that would be easier than the hassle of bringing Muggles in here… alright, then. But I will be telling Snape to inform your guardians about what’s gone down here, Potter.”

 

Harry nodded quickly, his mouth bone dry as he pictured what his actual guardian’s face was going to look like when he had to come and get them from the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.

 

“I saw him hanging around the viewing area - I’ll see if I can catch him before he goes back to Hogwarts,” Moody said, hauling himself to his feet. “Keep an eye on these two, Nymphadora.”

 

“Tonks,” she said through gritted teeth as Moody clomped from the room. To Harry’s shock, the roots of her brightly-coloured hair shifted to an angry red, before fading back to bubblegum pink. How had she managed that? Harry hadn’t seen her wand out!

 

Tonks turned back to face Draco, eyebrows raised. “Sneaking into the Ministry?” She shook her head. “Look, I get it’s your dad and all, but still. Not your brightest moment.”

 

“Well, Severus wouldn’t let me come,” Draco muttered, staring at the floor.

 

“Because you’re not supposed to be here,” Tonks said pointedly. “Rules are rules, yeah? Honestly, you’re getting off pretty lightly, especially since old Mad-Eye was the one to catch you.”

 

Draco groaned and pressed his hands over his face. “I’m not getting off lightly! Oh, Circe above, Severus is coming…”

 

Now he thinks of Severus! Harry thought resentfully. Draco couldn’t have considered that before forcing Harry’s hand until he had to join the other boy in this stupid scheme, could he?

 

“I won’t tell you off too much, then, since you’ve got Snape to deal with,” Tonks said begrudgingly. “I remember him from my Hogwarts days - he’s not exactly a ray of sunshine, is he?”

 

Harry groaned and ran his hands over his face. They were so dead. Shitting, sodding hell

 

“So how did you drag Harry Potter along with you, then?” Tonks added, fixing her attention on Harry. “Nice to meet you, by the way. I’m Tonks - Draco’s cousin.”

 

“Hi. I’m here because I thought if he was going to do something this bloody stupid, then I should come along,” Harry said through gritted teeth. He glared at Draco, even though the other boy still had his face hidden in his hands. “Er - how did Mr Moody manage to catch us, though? We were under an Invisibility Cloak.”

 

“That kind of thing won’t trick Moody,” Tonks explained. “They call him Mad-Eye for a reason - that creepy thing of his can see through all sorts, including Invisibility Cloaks.”

 

“Oh.” Harry winced. He’d always thought his Invisibility Cloak was completely impenetrable! If that strange blue eye could see through his cloak, then what else could?

 

There was a sudden thunking noise to Harry’s left. He glanced over and realised that Draco was leaning his head against Moody’s desk, hands cradling his face.

 

“Hey - don’t worry too much, Draco,” Tonks said, getting up from her chair to sit at Moody’s. “I know what I was saying about Snape before, but I don’t think he’ll be that bad.”

 

“It’s not that,” Draco said in a choked voice. 

 

Tonks glanced over to Harry, her eyes crinkled with worry. She looked to Draco, like she was asking what to do, but Harry just shrugged helplessly in response. He didn’t have a clue what to do to help - or if there was something to be done in the first place…

 

After a moment, Tonks hesitantly reached out a hand and placed it on Draco’s shoulder. “I’m sorry about everything with your dad.”

 

Draco didn’t move an inch. There was a long, stifled silence, until a choked whisper came from where Draco was lying.

 

“Did you see him at all?” Draco whispered. “Did he say anything?”

 

Tonks shook her head. “Nope. I’m generally supposed to be kept away from him, since I’m his niece and all. Even though I don’t know him at all, that's a bad look if it got out, you know? It was a bit of a mistake for me to be guarding your parents the first time around, as it stands…”

 

Draco abruptly jerked up, narrowed eyes glistening with unshed tears. “Well, if you do end up seeing Father, do me a favour and tell him how much I hate him, won’t you?” 

 

Tonks winced. “Draco, I don’t think you mean that -”

 

“No,” Draco growled, hands curling into fists in his lap. “I do mean it, actually. That man - he sat there, looking like - like that, and he begged. He sat there and snivelled, and begged, when he knew perfectly well what he did - Father didn’t exactly consider how this would all affect me, did he? So yes, I do hate him! He’s ruined my life!"

 

Harry tensed as Draco let out a low, furious, rumbling noise, deep in the back of his throat. This wasn’t good - as a matter of fact, this behaviour was exactly how Draco acted before he completely lost his temper. Harry did not want to see what would happen if Draco started smashing up the Auror office…

 

“I hate him.” Draco spat the words like thumbtacks. “I hate him, and I wish he wasn’t my father!”

 

With that, he buried his face on Moody’s desk yet again, body tense and rigid. Tonks visibly winced, and her hair cycled through several different colours. Harry stared at her, open mouthed. 

 

“How are you doing that?” he asked, momentarily forgetting his other troubles.

 

“I’m a Metamorphmagus,” Tonks explained. Her forehead furrowed with concentration, and then her hair flashed between a kaleidoscope of different colours. “It means I can change my appearance at will.”

 

Harry was just about to ask more questions when two horribly familiar voices came into earshot, and any curiosity he was feeling was replaced with gut-churning dread.

 

“...just over here, Snape,” Moody said. “I’ve got Nymphadora keeping an eye on them…”

 

“Indeed.”

 

Snape’s voice was so low and tight that it made Harry’s entire body tense up upon hearing it. He felt cold sweat build on his neck and palms as Snape and Moody walked into the cubicle behind him. He very reluctantly turned around, and immediately wished he could hide his face in the desk like Draco. It would be better than staring into the white, livid face of Severus Snape. His eyes were dark, fiery pits of fury, narrowed and fierce, and his lips were pressed into a thin, white line. Harry wished he could go back to the person he’d been this morning, who’d thought that the angriest Snape’s face could get had peaked on the day he’d snuck into Hogsmeade. This beat that out without challenge…

 

“Draco. Potter.” Snape folded his arms and glowered down at them. Draco shot up from the desk at the sound of Snape’s voice, while Harry bowed his head to stare at the floorboards. Why was Snape calling him Potter, and not by his first name? And, even more curiously, why was he only doing that with Harry and not Draco?

 

Because he must be the most angry with Harry, he realised with a pang. He’d just known that Snape was going to blame all of this on Harry if they’d gotten caught, and here was the evidence, staring at him right out of Snape’s glaring eyes. 

 

“So you’ll write to Potter’s guardians to explain the situation?” Moody inquired.

 

“Of course. In fact, I am thoroughly certain that Mr Potter’s guardians will be most displeased with the events that have transpired here today!” Snape said, his nostrils flaring. “Once again, I’d like to apologise for the absolutely appalling behaviour of these young men. I am certain you have far more pressing matters to deal with which their misbehaviour has detracted from.”

 

“Mind you two don’t do anything like this again,” Moody said sternly. “I’ll leave you to the professor.” 

 

Snape grabbed onto Harry and Draco with a painfully tight grip. “I will be heading back to Hogwarts, then. Goodbye, Moody, and Miss Tonks.”

 

Tonks gave Harry and Draco a slightly sympathetic look as they were marched from the room. When they were outside and out of earshot of the Aurors, Snape bent his head.

 

“I will be dealing with the two of you at home,” he said through gritted teeth. “I have a Portkey on me, given to me by the Headmaster and it is due to depart in two minutes. We cannot be inside the DMLE when it activates. Do not drag your feet.”

 

He pulled Harry and Draco along as fast as they could manage without looking suspicious, then yanked them into a deserted side corridor. Almost moments later, Harry felt like a hook was tugging in his navel. The Ministry vanished in an overwhelming whirlwind of colour and sound, and a great wind roared in Harry’s ears. Moments later, the three of them landed in Snape’s office. Harry stumbled in place, only keeping his feet because of Snape’s harsh grip on his arm. Moments later, however, the man released both him and Draco. 

 

Harry tried his best to breathe through his cresting panic as Snape stomped behind his desk and slammed his palms against the surface. 

 

“Based on the way Moody was speaking, am I right in presuming that you somehow managed to cover up my guardianship of Harry?” Snape ground out.

 

Draco nodded quickly. His face was milk-white, excluding a few red splotches from all the crying. “I lied when he asked - I made it sound like Harry still lived with his aunt and uncle.”

 

Snape nodded tightly, then began to pace in tight, brisk steps behind his desk. Harry jolted as Draco’s odd behaviour in the Auror office suddenly fell into place. Harry’s custody transfer was supposed to be kept top secret, wasn’t it? If he’d admitted to an Auror, of all people, the reality of his guardianship situation… Draco had saved his skin with that bit of quick thinking.

 

Snape stopped pacing, curled his hands into fists, and whirled around to face Harry and Draco. A vein in his forehead was bulging.

 

“How dare you!” he shouted. “I don’t even know where to begin with you two! Sneaking out of school - trespassing in the Ministry for Magic - I could have died of shame when Alastor Moody came over to explain just who he’d found hiding under an Invisibility Cloak!” 

 

Snape reached into his robes, pulled out the Invisibility Cloak, then clicked his fingers. It vanished from his grip. “I warned you specifically against sneaking this out, Harry, so you can say goodbye to ever seeing your cloak again. I ought to pitch the blasted thing into the fire!”

 

“No,” Harry gasped, but he didn’t have time to protest further. Snape was far from done, and his rampage wouldn’t be stopped by anything.

 

“Even your method of reaching the Ministry for Magic was stupidity in the extreme!” Snape bellowed. “You utilised my private Floo connection against my wishes - do you realise that I could lose my job over that, had I a less forgiving employer than Albus Dumbledore?! I had left that open in case of emergencies and you abused that to break the law! My own wards doing that is potentially a sackable offence!”

 

Harry wrapped his arms around his middle, feeling guiltier than ever. He hadn’t even considered that angle…

 

“I have never been so disappointed in my life,” Snape spat. “This was stupid, and foolhardy, and utterly senseless.”

 

“I just - I had to see him, Severus,” Draco choked out. Harry glanced to his side, and realised that the other boy had started to cry again - quite a while ago, it seemed. Great rivulets of tears were streaming down his cheeks. “I needed the closure -”

 

“There are other ways to get that!” Snape snapped, gripping the edge of his desk with white knuckles. “As I told you about five thousand times this week, Under-Seventeens are not allowed in that courtroom - and, most importantly, you oughtn’t to have done it because I told you not to!”

 

Something in Draco’s face hardened. “I don’t have to -”

 

“Do not talk back to me!” Snape shouted, and Draco jerked back. “Don’t even dare right now, Draco! Get into your room, and stay there until I’m ready to deal with you!”

 

He waved a hand at the hidden door behind his bookshelf, which sprung open with a bang, knocking several potions journals to the ground. Draco shot a furious, despairing look at Snape and stormed through it, his shoulders hunched.

 

Once Draco had exited, the door slammed shut again. Snape marched the length of the room and loomed over Harry. “And you. Where do I even start…”

 

Harry tried to swallow, but found the task impossible, given the tightness in his throat. “Sir, I - I can explain -”

 

“Explain?” Snape yelled. “I know precisely what happened for myself! At the very least, Draco was not in his right mind when he participated in this idiocy - but you? You obviously thought it would be another one of your stupid, reckless adventures!”

 

Harry opened his mouth in a vain attempt to explain, but that motion just seemed to encourage Snape to shout all the louder. 

 

“Isn’t it just the height of amusement to break into government property?” Snape seethed. “To sneak out of school, to disobey - it’s just your favourite pastime! Merlin’s beard, it’s like you have no concept of obedience! This time, your stupid bit of fun has had unalterable consequences! Do you even realise what you’ve helped do?”

 

Snape had seemingly grown in height - it was like he was ten feet tall. “The last thing I wanted was for Draco to witness his father in such a state! No child should see his parent like that, and you facilitated this happening!”

 

Harry bit down on the inside of his cheek until he drew blood. His heart was beating so quickly it felt like it might rip out of his chest.

 

“I gave you one job, and you failed me spectacularly,” Snape spat. He glared at Harry like he was nothing better than pond scum. “You’ve let everyone down today, Harry.”

 

The force of Snape’s words hit Harry like a sledgehammer, and he couldn’t quite catch a breath in the aftermath. He felt cracked, broken, and feared he might shatter into a million pieces at any moment.

 

Snape at last stopped glowering down at Harry and flurried over to his bookshelf. He placed a hand to his temples, shoulders heaving. He just wouldn’t let Harry explain - 

 

And he never would, Harry realised with a sickening jolt. Snape had made up his mind about the events of today, and it wasn’t going to be changed. All he ever thought was that Harry was a stupid, reckless idiot, no matter what he did to prove otherwise.

 

“You always think the worst of me,” Harry said, his voice shaking. “I try so hard to do things right, but the minute I do something wrong you always just go back to assuming that I’m doing it for a laugh, and I never am!”

 

“Just go,” Snape said coldly. “I am far too angry to deal with you appropriately at the moment.”

 

Just go.

 

I am far too angry to deal with you -

 

You failed me spectacularly - 

 

There was a sudden, loud crash from inside of Snape’s quarters, then the sound of something shattering. Snape squeezed his eyes shut, heaved a furious sigh, then stormed through the door. Harry was alone in the frigid office, and found himself crumpling against the wall, unable to support his own weight up on his legs.

 

He’d ruined everything. 

 

Harry had just wanted to do the right thing, he’d wanted to help Draco, to help preserve his family, but in the process, he’d made Snape hate him forever.

 

But Harry hadn’t even managed to help Draco! If anything, he’d made things worse for the other boy. The low, animalistic moan of despair when Lucius was sentenced to life in Azkaban had been the most horrid sound of pain, one Harry would kill never to hear again. That awful, wretched look of despair on his face… and Snape said that it was Harry’s fault that had happened. It was Harry’s fault for helping Draco go…

 

But what choice had Harry had?

 

If you try to stop me, Harry, I will never forgive you - I will hate you, and I will not stop hating you for the rest of my life…

 

But now Snape was never, ever going to forgive Harry for not stopping Draco from going. He should have thought it through, he should have gotten Professor McGonagall, or anyone, he shouldn’t have been drawn in by Draco’s threats…

 

Harry let out a strangled gasp and clapped a hand over his mouth. He’d forgotten about removing the tracker! If Snape wasn’t already angry enough, this last broken rule would definitely send him over the edge -

 

Harry was a complete screw-up, and he’d ruined everything.

 

You’ve let everyone down today, Harry.

 

He wished Snape had struck him instead. It would have hurt less than those awful words.

 

Crack!

 

Harry whirled around and felt a horrible sinking sensation in his stomach. Three of the jars of dead things behind Snape’s desk had broken into pieces, and they were currently leaking a nasty-looking green ooze down the wall and onto the floor. There was only one person here who could be responsible for that…

 

Feeling a frantic, thudding sort of panic in his chest, Harry reached into his pocket and desperately pulled out his wand. “Reparo! Reparo! Reparo!” 

 

One by one, the shards of glass flew together to form three glasses, the jagged gaps of breakage healed over, and the containers were whole one more. There was simply one issue: they were missing their contents. Harry had no way of getting the dead things and the liquid back into the jar. Snape was going to come in, he was going to see this mess, he was going to hate Harry more than he already did, everything was ruined -

 

Lightheaded, Harry stumbled back and leaned against the wall. He gradually sank down against it and drew his knees close to his chest, attempting to be as small and unobtrusive as possible. His chest hurt badly, so badly that every breath was shallow and stuck nastily in his lungs. Embarrassingly enough, a few tears were burning in his eyes. Harry angrily wiped them away as they trickled their way down his cheek, hating himself for being upset. He had no reason to be, after all. He’d always known this was all too good to be true.

 

He let everyone down eventually. Always. That was why they always got sick of him. He’d known all along that things with Draco and Snape would go wrong, but Harry had been stupid enough to get lulled into a false sense of security. He was so stupid. If he hadn’t believed it, then maybe he wouldn’t feel like Snape had reached into Harry’s chest to tear his heart clean in two with all those awful words.

 

He should have listened to the Dursleys when they said nobody would ever care for him.

 

Just go - I am far too angry to deal with you -

 

Well Harry certainly wasn’t going to stick around to see what would happen. Snape had made his feelings perfectly clear - he was washing his hands of this whole situation. He was getting rid of Harry, just like he’d always known Snape would.

 

He yanked the door of Snape’s office open and stumbled out into the corridor. Of course, Draco was the more important one here. Draco’s stupid feelings, Draco’s stupid Death Eater father, and now Draco’s stupid decisions were ruining everything for Harry. He hadn’t had a choice - lose his brother, or lose his guardian -

 

Or nothing at all now, Harry reflected glumly, because Snape was certainly done with him. He hadn’t been smart enough to stop Draco from going to the Ministry, and now he was irreparably damaged from seeing his father on trial or something.

 

And since Harry was always second-best, he’d be cast out in favour of Draco’s wellbeing. 

 

Somehow, his wandering footsteps had taken Harry to the Owlery. He walked over to Hedwig’s perch and felt his eyes pool with tears again. Was he to be returned to the Dursleys, with no one but her for company? Harry wouldn't be surprised if Snape sent him back for all of this. It was something he hadn't worried about for months, but now it seemed like an absolute guarantee… 

 

Harry reached out a hand to stroke Hedwig. She seemed to sense his distress and made a soft hooting sound, nestling her head against Harry’s palm. He tried to take a breath in, but only ended up making a pathetic sniffling noise. Furious with himself, Harry pressed the heels of his hands into his eyes as hard as he could until stars popped into his vision, willing the tears away.

 

“Ah, Harry! Posting a letter as well, I see."

 

Harry dropped his hands and spun around to find Professor Dumbledore standing in the entrance to the Owlery, a parchment envelope in his hand. 

 

"Oh. No, I just came to visit Hedwig,” Harry said, running the back of his hand over her feathers while Dumbledore strolled through the Owlery. He quickly swiped away a few stray tears while his back was to the Headmaster. He hoped the man would just deal with his post without noticing Harry’s face…

 

When he reached Harry, though, Dumbledore paused in place.

 

"She's a beautiful creature,” the Headmaster remarked. "I had a snowy owl myself as a boy - I believe I named him Orpheus… they’re lovely birds, aren’t they?”

 

Harry nodded his agreement while Hedwig preened at Dumbledore, clearly appreciating the shower of compliments. 

 

“I must confess, it does shock me that Severus allowed you to come here so soon after the business in the Ministry earlier," Dumbledore said, regarding Harry closely.

 

Harry did a double take. "You know about that?”

 

He realised how stupid the question was as soon as the words left his mouth. Of course Dumbledore knew. It often seemed like he knew everything.

 

"I try to make myself aware of the comings and goings of those in the castle in these troubled times,” Dumbledore explained. “It quickly came to my attention that we’d managed to misplace two of our students today.”

 

He examined Harry over the tops of his half-moon spectacles, and Harry suddenly found the dropping-covered floor very fascinating. A hot flush spread across his cheeks. 

 

"Erm…” Harry swallowed, mouth very dry. “I… sir, I didn't have -”

 

"I don't need any explanations,” Dumbledore said gently. "Severus is perfectly capable of handling this little situation on his own, I believe… although I would still implore you to stay within the boundaries of the school grounds in future, please?”

 

"Right, of course. Sorry.” Harry nodded vigorously. He returned his attention to Hedwig, painfully aware of how narrowly he'd just avoided getting into serious trouble. 

 

After attaching a letter to the ankle of one of the school post owls and watching it fly its way through the overcast sky, Dumbledore turned back to Harry. 

 

“So, what has gone on between you and Severus?” he inquired. “You seemed quite out of sorts when I came in here.”

 

“He's… yeah, he's angry,” Harry admitted quietly. A horrid, sickly sensation rose in his throat as the memories of Snape’s shouts ricocheted through his mind once more. 

 

“I see.” Dumbledore tilted his head to one side. “Would you like to talk about it?”

 

Harry hesitated for a moment. Ever since the revelations of that summer, and since the whispered midnight conversation about Harry and Dumbledore’s role in placing him with the Dursleys, there was a new guardedness Harry found himself carrying around the Headmaster. He didn't quite know what to make of the man.

 

But despite all of that, Harry really, really needed someone to talk to, and Dumbledore always felt like a sympathetic ear. Before he could help himself, Harry found himself pouring out the whole horrid tale to him right there in the middle of the Owlery. 

 

He told the Headmaster about everything, including the way he’d been walking on eggshells around Draco for weeks, and the details of that awful argument when Harry had tried to stop him from going to the Ministry, and how scared he’d been that Draco would hate him forever if Harry didn’t do what he wanted.

 

He told Dumbledore about the Ministry, the grim horrors of the trial, the Auror office, and finished with the painful telling off he’d received from Snape before running out of the man’s office. By the end, the crushing weight on Harry’s chest had eased to the point of being bearable.

 

“He was really angry with me,” Harry whispered. “I - well, I sort of think he’s going to give up on the whole guardianship because of this…”

 

“I wouldn’t be so quick to assume so,” Dumbledore said lightly. “What gives you that impression?”

 

“Well - I just know I always end up being a lot of trouble,” he said miserably. “I don’t try to be, but I always get sucked into stuff without meaning to. I wouldn’t blame him for being sick of me, especially since this hurt Draco, too… but it's not like I even wanted to go with him! I felt like I didn't have a choice, after what he said about hating me!”

 

“Harry, do you remember what I said at the end of your first year, when I awarded Mr Longbottom ten points to Gryffindor at the end of term feast?” Dumbledore asked suddenly.

 

Harry’s forehead wrinkled as he thought back to that day. Amongst all the euphoria of the House Cup win and his part in it, he remembered the words Dumbledore had spoken before he gave Neville those tie-breaking points.

 

“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends,” he said slowly.

 

“I didn’t award those points lightly, you know,” Dumbledore said, examining him over the tops of his half-moon spectacles. “There are few more difficult positions to be in than opposing someone you care about. Love has power over us unlike anything else, and sometimes the person we feel those feelings of affection towards can use love to your detriment. Young Draco may have been a tad more intentional in his wording during your argument than you’re acknowledging. He wanted to evoke those feelings of concern in you so you’d stop struggling against him and bend to his will.”

 

“Oh,” he said softly. 

 

“Severus will certainly realise this, too,” Dumbledore added. “He’s a clever man, and is highly familiar with the nature of manipulation. Once he acquires the full set of facts, he’ll put it all together.”

 

“Really?”

 

“I am sure of it,” Dumbledore said gently. He let out a small sigh. “As you are no doubt aware by now, Severus has a rather fearsome temper. I am sure many of the things he said to you are ones he will come to regret after he cools off. We all say such things in moments of anger, don’t we?”

 

Harry nodded. He had a bad temper himself, so he certainly knew what that was like. To Snape in particular, Harry had said all sorts of horrid things before he could stop himself which he’d really regretted…

 

“But you must remember, Severus is also a very stubborn man," Dumbledore added. “And that stubbornness extends to his guardianship of you - he is truly determined to see this all through, and wouldn't give up on you over a little spot of trouble. And, at any rate, Severus has grown rather fond of you."

 

“Oh," Harry said again, hugging himself with his arms. He never knew quite what to say when people told him stuff like that.

 

“It’s true,” Dumbledore said, running a hand down his long, white beard. “He’s not demonstrative about it, naturally, but he talks about you and Draco with the sort of interest and passion that only potions could summon up in him previously. You’re thoroughly embedded in his affections now, Harry, trouble and all.”

 

Harry pressed his lips together, feeling just the slightest bit better.

 

Dumbledore smiled, and made a thoughtful humming noise. “As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Severus is preparing to come and find you right now. Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to return to the dungeons before he worries too badly?”

 

“Erm…” Harry rubbed his hands over his arms, which had abruptly broken out into goosebumps. “Okay…”

 

His heart thudded horribly at the prospect of facing the furious Snape yet again, but he certainly wasn't going to tell the Headmaster no. Still, Harry wasn’t quite able to motivate his legs to start moving in the direction of the exit until Dumbledore placed a hand on his shoulder and exerted a gentle but firm pressure, steering him towards the Owlery staircase.

 

"Will you do me a favour, Harry, and tell Severus about these worries you've informed me of today?” Dumbledore asked as they descended the spiral staircase. “Despite his considerable prowess for Legilimency, Severus does not make a habit of reading minds. Perhaps the both of you would be saved quite a lot of bother if you were on the same page.”

 

“Alright,” Harry agreed. Dumbledore wasn't exactly wrong there, he could admit. Every fight Harry had had with Snape and Draco was always exacerbated by them not talking about it for days or weeks on end. 

 

“Have this for the journey.” Dumbledore handed Harry a green boiled sweet wrapped in a clear, filmy wrapper. “I always find sweets can make a surprising amount of difference to the mood.”

 

It sounded ridiculous at first, but Harry couldn’t help but agree with the man as they descended to the dungeons. The sugary sweetness in his mouth did make him feel the tiniest bit less miserable. At the very least, focusing on the flavour helped to keep his mind off what meeting up with Snape again would entail. He tried very hard not to think about it at all, actually, and focused his mind on Dumbledore’s continual stream of conversation about the scientifically proven health benefits of sweets, most of which Harry thought the Headmaster was just making up on the spot. He was somewhat aware that he was being managed, but found he didn’t really mind. After all, Harry needed to be calm to face Snape again…

 

A cold pit of dread settled itself in his stomach, one which Harry tried and failed to ignore. He knew that it was better to talk about these things, but the prospect of facing the furious, disappointed Snape again was terrifying, and all Harry wanted to do was to run all the way back into the Owlery, never to be seen again.

 

But that wasn’t an option. Harry took a deep breath, squared his shoulders, and descended down the stairs to the dungeons with Dumbledore.

To be continued...
Family Intervention by aspionage

Once they’d descended from the Owlery all the way down to the dungeon corridor which held Snape’s office and quarters, Harry became aware of the sound of footsteps pounding rapidly against cobblestone. Snape rounded the corner at a brisk pace, looking obviously concerned. Once his eyes landed on Harry, his expression morphed into a mixture of relief and extreme irritation.

 

“There you are!” he said exasperatedly. “Why in Merlin’s name did you decide to run off like that?”

 

“You told me to go away, didn’t you?” Harry muttered, refusing to look Snape in the eyes. Any of the calm he’d managed to muster while talking to Dumbledore had evaporated in the face of Snape’s continual fury. He didn’t want to be here, he didn’t want to stand there and listen while a man whose respect he craved like oxygen told Harry how much of a disappointment he was…

 

“Ah, Headmaster.” Snape seemed to have only just noticed Dumbledore. The emotions on his face were skillfully Occluded behind a blank mask of indifference. 

 

“Good evening, Severus,” Dumbledore said cheerfully. “Harry and I have just been having a little chat.”

 

“You have,” Snape said flatly.

 

“Yes - I find young minds to be truly fascinating places,” Dumbledore said thoughtfully, continuing to stroll down the corridor. “Even with all my years of life experience, I still find myself learning a thing or two from my students…”

 

“How splendid.” Snape opened the door to his office and cleared his throat. “Well, thank you for returning Harry to me, Headmaster -”

 

“May I impose upon you for a quick cup of tea, Severus?” Dumbledore asked suddenly.

 

The sound of Snape’s molars grinding together was clearly audible to Harry, even though he was standing a good few feet away from the man. “As much as I continue to delight in your company, Headmaster, I am afraid I am rather busy -”

 

“Oh, I won’t be long,” Dumbledore said breezily, stepping into Snape’s office. “I do believe I may be able to shed a little light onto the matters you are so busy with.”

 

Harry's cheeks burned. He was fairly certain that he and Draco were bound to be the topics of this conversation...

 

Snape sighed very loudly and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Harry, wait for me in your room.”

 

Harry nodded wordlessly and trudged through Snape’s quarters. The whole place was silent, with no sign of Draco anywhere. The other boy’s bedroom door was shut, and no light was filtering from beneath the door.

 

Harry entered his room opposite, heart pounding madly. Suddenly, Dumbledore’s reassurances that Snape wasn’t going to get rid of Harry felt more like threats. Snape was furious, and unwilling to listen, and had absolute power over him. If he wasn’t going to get rid of Harry, then what was Snape going to do to him?

 

Harry’s breathing had been reduced to short, sharp gasps again. He tried in vain to Occlude without any success - after all, Snape had been the one to teach him those techniques, and the man’s quiet voice in the back of his head reminding him to breathe instead served to remind Harry that Snape was so, so angry…

 

Feeling an overwhelming urge to escape with no actual means to, Harry wedged himself into the corner of his room and buried his face in his hands. All he could do was hope that Dumbledore would keep Snape occupied for as long as possible, so he could put off the whole awful reckoning that was to come. 

 


 

It was a while before someone entered. Harry wasn’t sure how long - he hadn’t been keeping track of the time.

 

“Harry?” Snape’s voice was sharp and held notes of concern. He must not have figured out where Harry was hiding, and he certainly didn’t want to let the man know. 

 

Snape began to walk into the room - Harry listened as the man’s feet strode confidently along, before they abruptly came to a halt midway through the room. Snape let out a very long, very loud sigh. He began to walk again, and Harry heard the mattress shift slightly as Snape sat down on the side of the bed. He was silent for quite a while before he spoke again.

 

“I think we ought to discuss everything that happened today.”

 

Harry really did not want to do that. He'd had a horrible day, and he just wanted to be left alone. 

 

“I’ll wait.” 

 

Harry heard the man shift in place and hugged his knees tighter. He felt miserable. All Harry wanted was for Snape to go away again so he could get back to feeling upset in peace, but it didn’t seem like he’d be going anywhere or saying anything until Harry made the first move. 

 

Harry didn’t understand a thing going on right now. He’d been expecting another outraged rant. Why was Snape suddenly so calm? He’d still been spitting mad when Dumbledore had dropped Harry off…

 

When the silence became too unbearable, Harry decided to ask about it. “Why aren’t you yelling at me?”

 

He hated how thick and wobbly his voice sounded.

 

“I doubt that adding more drama would help in this situation,” Snape said. “What would be the point of me shouting at you right now?”

 

“Because you should!” Harry said miserably. “You’re angry! I upset Draco, and I disobeyed you and now you’re disappointed and you hate me and -”

 

“I do not!” Snape interrupted. “I am not exactly happy with you, Harry, but I most certainly do not hate you. Merlin’s beard, the constant melodrama I find myself subjected to around here is starting to wear thin…”

 

“It's not melodramatic!" Harry said indignantly. “You said you were too angry to deal with me, and you told me to get out!"

 

“I didn't mean permanently! Good grief…” The exasperation was clear in Snape's voice. “I was simply too angry to deal with you at that moment, Harry, and thought it was best to leave things alone for the time being. I didn't want to badly lose my temper and do something I would regret.”

 

That statement failed to make Harry feel any better. He fell silent again.

 

“Harry, I have had a very long day,” Snape said, voice haggard. “I quite simply do not have it in me to untangle this single-handedly, so I need you to actually explain yourself.”

 

The frustration finally boiled over, and Harry balled his hands into fists. 

 

“I didn’t even want to go to the Ministry!” he burst out. “I told Draco over and over that it was a stupid idea, and that you said no, but there wasn’t anything I could do to stop him after he stole my Cloak and pointed his wand at me so I thought I had to go as well so he didn’t do it by himself, okay?! Besides, Draco told me he’d hate me forever if I didn’t let him! There was absolutely no good option because I didn’t want that to happen, but now you’re angry with me because you like him more than me, and I helped him see the trial and upset him so badly, so you’re done with me forever, and I know it’s all my fault, so please just stop having a go at me!”

 

Harry pressed his fist into his mouth, worried that if he kept speaking he’d do something stupid and emotional, like burst into tears.

 

After a brief pause, Snape sighed again. He was doing a lot of that today. “I see.”

 

‘I see’? That was it? Harry felt worse than ever.

 

“I am an idiot," Snape announced.

 

Harry choked, and looked up suddenly, hardly believing what Snape had said.

 

“A classic fool," he continued. “A dim-witted imbecile - actually, I think the ideal term would be ‘dunderhead’."

 

The use of the insult Snape hurled at so many students coaxed a choked laugh out of Harry. It was odd, hearing Snape say that about himself, of all people… 

 

“There are clearly quite a few miscommunications at play here that I ought to clear up,” Snape said. “Would you come over here? This setup isn’t quite conducive to a conversation.”

 

Reluctantly, Harry got to his feet and walked over to where Snape was sitting. He stood self-consciously to one side, his arms still wrapped around his middle. It still felt like he had a dreadful stomach ache. 

 

“I… I would like to apologise for my initial reaction,” Snape said quietly. “From what Draco has told me, and from what you’ve just said, I think you were in a far more difficult position than I initially understood you to be in.” He ran his hands over his face. “I ought to have given you a chance to explain…”

 

Somehow, Snape apologising just served to make Harry feel even worse about himself.

 

Snape tilted his head slightly. “You said I like Draco more than you?”

 

Harry’s eyebrows furrowed. “Well… yeah?”

 

“That’s simply untrue.”

 

“You don’t have to lie to me, sir,” Harry said dully. “Look, I get it -”

 

“Do not presume to explain to me how I am feeling,” Snape said sharply. “Come on - sit down.”

 

“I really don't want to talk about this!” Harry said loudly. Even though he tried not to let it bother him, the whole situation with Draco made his chest ache with longing every time Harry thought about it too hard. He went to walk away - to go where Harry wasn’t certain - but Snape swiftly grabbed onto Harry’s arm and pulled him back so he was forced to sit down on the bed next to Snape.

 

“No one leaves until we come to an understanding.” Snape removed his hand from Harry’s arm and gently placed it under Harry’s chin, so he was forced to look the man in the eyes. “Explain where you got this idea from, please.”

 

“Well… it’s just kind of obvious, isn’t it?” Harry said bitterly. “I mean - well you and Draco are both Slytherins, and you both like all that Potions stuff that I’ll never understand properly, and you’ve known him way longer and liked him way longer, and - well, I’m me!”

 

Snape was silent. His face was pained. “Harry, I don’t know any other way to explain this - I do not like Draco more than you. I similarly do not prefer you to Draco. You have equal standing in my affections.”

 

“But -”

 

“But nothing. There’s nothing to debate here,” he said firmly. “Harry, I understand you grew up experiencing, ah… unequal treatment. That is not the status quo - most people do not pick favourites amongst their children.”

 

Harry didn’t know what to say - he didn’t know how to explain that all the times Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon had put Dudley over him still hurt, even if he knew that wasn’t exactly normal, and how not ever being picked as someone’s favourite felt like a knife to the chest. How could Harry talk about how sometimes he still thought there was something wrong with him, because Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon had always said there was, and they’d know best of all, wouldn’t they? All Harry knew was that he wasn’t good enough for anyone, and he knew that the dreaded tears which inevitably accompanied that thought were welling up, so he drew his knees into his chest and hid his face. After a moment, Snape put an arm around his shoulder, and he felt the tiniest bit better.

 

“I am not immune to recognising Draco’s faults,” Snape said. “Even though I have known Draco longer than I’ve known you, that doesn’t mean I will automatically take his side. I care about you, too, and his mistreatment of you today has certainly not impressed me. I really do not take his use of such emotional blackmail lightly.”

 

“He was upset about his dad -”

 

“That is not an excuse,” Snape interrupted. “Having problems does not give you a free pass to hurt people. Do you recall the little scuffle the two of you got into back in August after I found out about the way your aunt and uncle treated you?”

 

“Yeah?” Harry looked up at him again, curious as to where this was going.

 

“So I'm sure you remember how displeased I was with you for taking out your anger at your relatives on him,” Snape said. “The same rules apply to Draco. I do not care how upset he was, he shouldn't be making it your problem, especially since you were only trying to help. Draco knew exactly what he was doing when he said he’d hate you unless you did as he asked - it was highly manipulative. He knows that sort of statement would be very impactful to you.”

 

“I’m not fragile, you know,” Harry said, affronted. 

 

“I never said you were. I simply meant that you are perhaps more vulnerable to those sorts of emotionally-focused manipulations, particularly when they come from people you are closer to. And unfortunately, Draco knows that. He acted on it, and used that for his own gain today.”

 

“Oh,” Harry whispered. He felt a horrid lurch in his stomach.

 

“Harry, I… if I have done anything to give you the impression that I care for Draco more than you, I sincerely apologise,” Snape said softly. “I now recall you alluding to this concern back in October, and I ought to have addressed it then. Admittedly, I was not in the best frame of mind at the time.”

 

That was back when we were fighting over Hogsmeade, Harry's mind filled in. He vaguely remembered shouting at Snape about how Draco got to go into the village because Snape liked him more than Harry, or something along those lines.

 

“It's okay,” he said softly.

 

Snape squeezed his shoulder and said nothing. Harry kept his knees hugged to his chest, and tried to brace himself for the oncoming lecture over his role in the Ministry affair. Snape seemed uncharacteristically determined to sit in silence, though, and Harry couldn't understand why. The man had been perfectly happy to rail at him not one hour ago… this unusual behaviour set Harry on edge. He didn’t like not being able to predict what was going to happen.

 

“I still don't get why you're being nice to me,” Harry whispered eventually. “You should be shouting.”

 

“I cannot possibly fathom why you are asking me to shout at you,” Snape said dryly. “Particularly when I have no desire to do so.”

 

“You always have a desire to shout at people,” he muttered.

 

“Not at the minute. The Headmaster’s little chat with me has taken the wind out of my sails.” Snape’s shoulders slumped slightly.

 

Harry took in Snape’s abashed expression, and something suddenly occurred to him. “Dumbledore told you off, didn’t he?”

 

“Professor Dumbledore,” Snape corrected absently, “and yes, in his way, I suppose he did.”

 

“Oh. Sorry.” Harry fidgeted with his hands.

 

“There is no need to apologise. He made some valid points, irritatingly enough.” Snape exhaled loudly. “It’s clear that I've failed the two of you as a guardian today.”

 

“What? No, you -”

 

“Don't,” Snape interrupted, holding out a hand. “I put far too much responsibility on you. I knew how emotionally volatile the trial had rendered Draco, and I shouldn't have left you to deal with that alone.”

 

“But I should have thought of something else -”

 

“Perhaps you should have, but you're only thirteen,” Snape said. “You don't have all the answers.” 

 

Harry shrugged, and didn’t respond.

 

“I also apologise for losing my temper in the manner I did when we returned to my office,” Snape added. “I must confess, the stress of the day has taken a large toll on me.”

 

“Is it because Lucius is your friend?” Harry asked. “I mean, you must have been pretty close to Draco's parents for them to make you his guardian. The trial probably wasn't nice for you, either.”

 

Something like understanding dawned over Snape's face. “Out of the mouths of babes. You do have a point - I must admit, I hadn't given that much thought. I wouldn't exactly describe Lucius as a friend, but he is one of my closer associates, and was there for me during quite a few times of difficulty in my youth… No, it wasn't a particularly pleasant experience for me to see him like that.”

 

“I think it was just a bad day for everyone, really,” Harry said.

 

Snape nodded his agreement. “It certainly was… the ordeal of the trial coupled with the fear that my guardianship of you might be in peril did not put me in the best of moods.”

 

“Right." Harry winced. He couldn't believe how close they'd come to the Aurors, of all people, finding out that the Dursleys weren't still in charge of him. That could have gone horribly wrong.

 

“How’s Draco doing?” Harry asked, glancing over his shoulder to his bedroom door. “Is he okay?”

 

“No.” Snape’s lips turned down in a rather grim way. “He worked himself into quite a fit - I’ve had to give him a lot of Calming Draught, and he’s fallen asleep. I’d be very surprised if he’s awake anytime before tomorrow morning.”

 

“Yeah, he’s not been sleeping well,” Harry said. “I heard him up at night a lot the last few weeks.”

 

“Hopefully some rest will do him good.” Snape’s eyebrows furrowed. “And speaking of Draco, and what he said about hating you…”

 

“I don’t really want to talk about it anymore,” Harry muttered. Both Dumbledore and Snape’s comments about Draco manipulating him had left Harry feeling extremely stupid.

 

“Be that as it may, just know I would have attempted to mediate between the two of you if you had stopped him despite everything he said,” Snape said.

 

“I’m sorry I didn’t manage to stop him.” Harry stared at the ground, feeling miserable. “All I wanted to do was get you, but I didn’t know how to do it without Draco running off under the Cloak in the meantime.”

 

Snape made a thoughtful humming noise. “Perhaps I could attempt some modification to the tracker, and add a form of distress signal that alerts me when pressed when I replace it… and yes, I did notice that your tracker has gone missing.”

 

He fixed Harry with a stern look, and he shrank back slightly. “Sorry…”

 

“It’s being replaced as soon as I have time to purchase a new one, and I do not want you meddling with it again,” Snape said sternly. 

 

Harry sighed. “Am I ever gonna be able to take it off?”

 

“When Black is back where he belongs,” Snape said firmly. “The minute he is captured, your life will return to normal. I promise.”

 

Black's never going to be captured at this rate, Harry thought resentfully. It’s been months, and they haven’t found him…

 

"Harry - once again, you seem to have overlooked the threat that leaving the school grounds could have posed to you.”

 

As contrite as he was feeling, Harry couldn’t help but roll his eyes. “No offence, but if Sirius Black is breaking into the Ministry of Magic that easily, we have bigger problems than him coming after me.”

 

“I was not just referring to Black, as a matter of fact,” Snape said sharply. “In general, it is not a good idea to break into government property. As admirable as your concern for Draco is, you ought to put a bit more stock in your own wellbeing. You shouldn’t have followed in his footsteps to trespass in the Ministry. You should have gotten an adult to hunt Draco down.”

 

“And I wanted to, but he had the Invisibility Cloak -”

 

“Which Mad-Eye Moody was easily able to bypass,” Snape interrupted. 

 

Harry felt his cheeks heat up. “Well I didn’t know that!”

 

“Precisely!” Snape said, his eyes narrowing. “There are many things you do not know, Harry! This is why you ought to have allowed Draco to leave. Professor McGonagall could have fetched him from the Ministry for Magic without you having to also embroil yourself in this whole mess. I believe the old adage applies here - if your friends all jumped off of a bridge, would you?”

 

“I just wanted to look after him, that's all!” Harry protested. “I didn’t think he’d react very well to his dad getting convicted - and he didn’t, by the way - and so I wanted someone within the family to be there!”

 

“Minerva would have immediately fetched me, had you informed her,” Snape said, his chastising tone turning more gentle. “I believe I am also equipped with the skills to manage Draco.”

 

“I really wanted to get you,” Harry said miserably. “All I wanted the whole time was for there to be some way for me to contact you, but I couldn’t think of anything.”

 

Strangely enough, there was a flash of something like pride in Snape’s eyes. “Well, I suppose it does reassure me slightly that you’re willing to take your problems to others, even if your range of qualified witches and wizards remains rather limited. Hopefully, another situation like this will not arise in future.”

 

Snape reached out to squeeze Harry's arm, and he couldn't help but flinch away. The man's fingers were digging into the burn he’d gotten from Draco’s melting spell, triggering a hiss of pain.

 

Snape immediately withdrew his hand, looking slightly hurt. Horror rose up in Harry.

 

“No, no!” he said quickly. “It’s not anything like that. I know you’re not going to, er - hit me, or anything. You just grabbed right onto my burn, is all.”

 

This comment also did not seem to please Snape. He yanked up Harry’s sleeve and scowled fiercely at his wrist, which had started to blister. “I believe we have also had multiple discussions about hiding injuries, Harry -”

 

“I wasn't hiding it, I just forgot it was there!” he said defensively. “I had a lot of other stuff going on, you know!”

 

Some of the tension faded from Snape’s features, and he loudly exhaled. “Yes, I suppose you did… well, this can be remedied quickly.”

 

He waved his wand, and some sort of healing salve flew into the room. Given how often he found himself needing them, Harry reflected that he really ought to start recognising the individual names of the stuff Snape gave him. 

 

“This was Draco’s handiwork, I presume?” Snape inquired, rubbing the salve onto Harry's burn. He felt some of the tension leach out of his shoulders as a delightful cooling sensation spread over the sore area.

 

“Well, not intentionally,” Harry said, allowing his wrist to be turned back and forth. “I think he just overdid it with his melting spell.”

 

Snape finally released his grip and glared vaguely into the distance. “I believe I shall also have words with him about that incident when he has awoken…”

 

Harry swallowed, hard. As annoyed as he was with Draco, he still didn’t want him to be in heaps of trouble. Even Harry knew that he hadn’t really been in his right mind.

 

He decided to tell Snape as much. “I just… I think Draco’s had a really hard time recently, between the trial stuff, and the Slytherins being all nasty all the time, and - well, maybe he was overdue a bit of an implosion. He won’t be in too much trouble, right?”

 

“Harry, I am perfectly aware of Draco’s unique circumstances, as I believe I informed you earlier,” Snape said pointedly. “I do not need you intervening on his behalf. As a matter of fact, what Draco needs most of all in a time like this is some degree of normalcy and structure.”

 

“Oh. Er - right.” Harry supposed that made a fair amount of sense. He always hated being treated differently because of his fame, so it only made sense that Draco would feel the same way about the level of infamy his father’s trial had brought about, even if he wasn’t conscious of it.

 

Snape tapped a finger against his chin, expression thoughtful. “I also think this refusal to allow yourself to feel any degree of irritation towards him is perhaps a symptom of his earlier comments about him hating you.”

 

“No it isn’t!” Harry protested angrily. Upon seeing the doubtful look on Snape’s face, he relented and reluctantly admitted, “Okay, maybe a little bit. Er - I think that rattled me more than I expected, honestly…”

 

“Yes, that much has been obvious.” 

 

Harry felt his cheeks heat up, and he dragged his gaze away from Snape’s face and back to the floor.

 

“It’s nothing to be embarrassed by,” Snape said quietly. “Having grown up in the manner you did-”

 

“Yeah, the Dursleys screwed me up,” Harry grumbled. He rubbed his eyes and sighed. “Trust me, between you and Dumbledore, I’ve had that drilled into me today…”

 

“He might have been angry in the moment, but in the long term, I’m certain Draco would have forgiven you for stopping him from going to the Ministry,” Snape said gently. “He would have realised your actions were only motivated by care.”

 

“It didn’t feel like it,” Harry muttered. “You didn’t see his face.”

 

“Draco has told me on more than one occasion that he will hate me until the end of eternity, and yet he continues to tolerate my company,” Snape said dryly. “All I am saying is that you ought to have more faith in your relationship with him, Harry.”

 

He nodded, still staring at the floor. “Okay.”

 

“Perhaps we ought to leave things here for now, then,” Snape said, brushing down his robes and getting to his feet. “I do believe this is a conversation we should continue in the morning, when Draco is awake and everyone is a little less out of sorts. Why don’t you rest in here for a little while? We’ve all had rather long days.”

 

Harry shot him a puzzled look. ”Rest? It’s barely evening. I can’t sleep this early.”

 

“And I did not tell you to,” Snape said evenly. “I simply just meant to suggest you relax from the stress of the day. You look dreadful.”

 

Harry, who did feel quite horrid, didn’t respond and instead occupied himself with picking at a loose thread in the cuff of the sleeve. 

 

“I shall be in my laboratory if you need me,” Snape said, getting to his feet. Before he started moving towards the door, however, Snape paused and turned around to look at Harry again. “It was unfair of me to cast the aspersions on your character that I did earlier.”

 

Harry tried his best to press the remainder of his hurt down and nodded without meeting Snape’s eyes, hoping they could put the whole awful event behind them. Snape was far from done, however. He laid his hands on Harry’s shoulders and waited until Harry met his gaze.

 

“I was wrong,” Snape said simply. “And you were right when you said I often think the worst of you when I shouldn’t. I will hear you out from now on, Harry, no matter how angry I am. I give you my word.”

 

“Okay,” he whispered, hoping Snape meant it. He had faith that the man would follow through, though. Snape had his faults, but when he set his mind to correcting them, Snape usually managed to pull through and change. 

 

Snape simply squeezed Harry’s shoulder once, then swept from the room. Harry laid back on his bed, mind buzzing from the events of the day. He felt as though he had dozens of things to think through and think over…

 

But despite his earlier protestations, Snape had been right in one area; Harry was exhausted. He was fast asleep within the hour. 

 


 

It was early morning when a knock sounded at Harry’s door - Snape, quietly summoning him out to the living room. For a moment, Harry laid confused as he tried to work out why his guardian had awoken him instead of his alarm clock, until the whole awful day at the Ministry came flooding back to him. Snape had said another conversation was in store, this time with Draco included, and it was clear that he was sticking to his word.

 

Harry hurried into the living room, and saw Snape waiting at the kitchen table alongside Draco. He looked about as awful as Harry had ever seen him - eyes red and bloodshot, shoulders hunched, hair nearly as wild and untamed as Harry’s. He was eating his food mechanically. 

 

Harry stood in the middle of the room, confused. “What are we doing?”

 

“We are eating breakfast.” Snape gestured to Harry’s usual seat. “Join us.”

 

Harry shuffled over to the table and sat down, carefully avoiding Draco’s gaze. It wasn’t an entirely necessary venture, since Draco seemed determined to keep his eyes glued to his plate. The tension in the room was so thick that you could cut it with a knife. Harry was so anxious that he began to tear his toast into tiny chunks instead of actually eating it, until Snape sent him the old, pointed ‘look’ that had so often accompanied meals at Spinner’s End. Harry made a greater effort to eat properly, but it was hard when it still felt like his innards were twisted into horrid knots.

 

After about fifteen minutes of the awkward, stifled attempt at a meal, Snape at last seemed to admit defeat and vanished the remainder of their food. He steepled his fingers, dark eyes flitting between Harry and Draco.

 

“As I made clear yesterday, the three of us are in desperate need of a conversation,” he said. “As I suspect this might take a fair bit of time, you are excused from your first lesson of the day.”

 

Harry frowned. “Don’t you have lessons to teach, too?”

 

“As a matter of fact, I do not teach on Tuesday mornings. I am perfectly capable of managing my schedule without your input, Harry,” Snape said sharply.

 

Harry winced and decided not to speak any further.

 

“Where shall we begin, then?” Snape said.

 

Draco lifted his head slightly so he was facing Harry, face ashen. “I apologise.”

 

“Erm - thanks,” Harry said awkwardly. “It’s okay.”

 

Snape muttered something that was clearly disparaging under his breath, then glowered at the two of them. “You both aren’t getting off that easily.”

 

“We’re not six, Severus!” Draco complained. “We don’t need you to mediate for us!”

 

Harry, who was eager to escape this painfully awkward conversation before it truly got under way, hastily nodded his agreement.

 

“Draco, while I am certain you were quite furious in the heat of the moment, did you actually mean it when you said you would hate Harry eternally if he did not do as you asked?” Snape inquired, completely ignoring their protests.

 

A pink flush spread across Draco’s cheeks. “I’d rather not -”

 

“I don’t care.” Snape’s voice was heavy with irritation. “Was there perhaps a degree of embellishment to your claims?”

 

Draco sighed very loudly. “Well, I was really angry, alright? But… a bit, I suppose… I wouldn’t have actually hated him forever.”

 

“Oh.” Harry, who felt exceedingly stupid by now, slumped back in his seat.

 

“Harry did not know this, as I’m sure you’re finally realising.” Snape gestured to Harry. He straightened up and tried to wipe any stray traces of hurt from his face as Draco looked at him with no small amount of guilt apparent on his features. “Are you now beginning to understand why your actions could be seen as manipulative?”

 

“It’s not like I set out consciously trying to sway him to do what I wanted,” Draco grumbled. “I didn’t think about it like that - I just always said that to Mother and Father when they wouldn’t do as I asked, and it always changed Mother’s mind!”

 

Harry couldn’t help his wince at that statement. It reminded Harry so much of Dudley, who frequently said horrible things to Aunt Petunia that would drive her to the point of tears on the rare occasions that she didn’t instantly bend to his will. He often found it uncomfortable when Draco did things that reminded Harry of his cousin. It was a parallel he really didn’t care to explore.

 

Snape seemed equally unimpressed by what Draco had said, and kept his intense gaze fixed on Draco’s face. Some of his bravado vanished.

 

“I do always feel bad for saying it afterwards, though,” he said quietly, staring at the table.

 

“Then you shouldn’t say it,” Snape said sternly. “If you care about somebody, you shouldn’t start throwing around such loaded statements when they don’t immediately do as you ask.”

 

“Right.” Draco was starting to look like he wanted to sink into the floor, now.

 

 “As unconventional as it may seem from the outside, we have formed something of a family unit here,” Snape said, “so we all ought to treat each other with the according respect. You do not say things like that to Harry again. Do you understand?”

 

“I really didn’t mean to hurt you so much, Harry,” Draco said, far more sincerely than he had earlier. “I… well, I didn’t think.”

 

“That much is obvious,” Snape said acidly. “You need to think about the hurtful implications of what you’re saying before you speak.”

 

“Look, you two - I’m not hurt,” Harry protested. “Honestly, I’m not going to break into pieces at the smallest sign of trouble! You both carry on like I’m this delicate snowflake, and I’m really not!”

 

Snape muttered something under his breath that sounded suspiciously like ‘Gryffindors’, but otherwise didn’t respond. 

 

“You were having a really hard day, Draco,” Harry said, trying to seem nonchalant. “I know you didn’t mean it now, so let’s just move on.”

 

“I’d like that.” Draco sighed loudly. “I’d like to put everything with the trial and him behind me, now. I never want to think about Lucius again.”

 

Harry couldn’t help but notice that Draco had called his father by his first name, something he never did. Judging by the crease in Snape’s forehead, he had also noticed this change, and wasn’t entirely pleased by it. Snape didn’t comment, however.

 

“I agree it may be best for us to put this entire business behind us,” he said instead. “Unless, of course, the two of you have any further complaints to level with one another?”

 

Harry shook his head.  He couldn’t help but wonder why he hadn’t been punished for sneaking into the Ministry yet… unless, of course, this was Snape’s way of letting Harry know that he was sorry for how he’d acted after retrieving them from the Ministry without actually saying it. That certainly seemed like something he’d do. As Snape himself had said, everyone had handled the business with Lucius’ trial incorrectly…

 

“Well, I have about a dozen complaints I could level about him, but I suppose I ought to also say no for diplomacy’s sake,” Draco drawled. Harry shot a glare in his direction.

 

“And one last thing, Draco - do not meddle with Harry’s tracker again,” Snape said severely. “Despite what the two of you seem to think, it is not a mechanism for me to constantly stalk Harry. It is a failsafe in case the worst happens, and Sirius Black captures him. Never, ever destroy that again. This applies to both of you.”

 

Harry and Draco both nodded vigorously, each slightly alarmed by the seriousness of Snape’s expression. 

 

He nodded at them and rose to his feet. “Now, shall we relocate to the sitting room?”

 

Harry and Draco both sat in their usual places on the sofa, but Snape did not settle in his armchair. Instead, he paused next to Draco, then rested one hand on his forearm. Snape crouched slightly, so his face was level with Draco’s.

 

“What you have endured with your parents is an immense hardship,” he said softly, “but the media cycle will soon move on, and the spotlight will shift from your family name now, Draco. You can start to rebuild your life, and Harry and I will be here with you every step of the way.”

 

Snape’s eyes darted from Draco’s face to Harry’s, so he made sure to vigorously nod his agreement. “No matter how much of a pain in the arse you can be, you’re my brother now, Draco. You’re stuck with me.”

 

Draco’s throat bobbed, and Harry noticed a slightly glossy quality to his grey eyes. He gave them both a jerky nod and stared hard at the floor.

 

It was strange to watch Draco just then, because Harry felt some jealous quality in his mind shift slightly. A small part of him had always resented Draco for his happy childhood, for the fact that he’d grown up loved, when Harry hadn’t. Now, though, Harry could understand a little more that having bad parents still who loved you could hurt in ways that the Dursleys had never managed with their outright hatred and scorn. At the very least, Harry had never expected anything of his aunt and uncle. To love your parents so fiercely, but to be so disappointed by their actions must hold a sting in ways Harry would never truly know. 

 

Snape rose back to his full height, determined. “As I said earlier, we are a family, and we are going to act like one. Both of you need to start understanding this! We may fight, or have disagreements, but in the end, we will come back together and forgive each other. No matter what happens, I am here for you both. There is nothing you can do to force me away, do you understand? No matter how angry I am with you, this relationship is not going to break down.”

 

Harry noticed Snape’s gaze resting on him, at this point, and ran his hands over his arms uncomfortably. He hated how often he needed Snape to reassure him of this point.

 

“Despite the fact that you did not choose these circumstances, I know the two of you have grown to care for one another,” Snape continued. “As you have said yourselves, you have become brothers, if not by blood. I can’t imagine a world where the two of you aren’t bickering over something, but remember at the end of the day that you two are both in this family together. Start acting like it.”

 

Harry and Draco both nodded, the latter looking rather shame-faced.

 

“We are a family,” Snape repeated. “No matter what.”

 

“No matter what,” Harry and Draco both echoed. Harry looked between him and Snape, a small smile curling at his lips. No matter what - it was a good thing to hear aloud.

 

And despite what Snape said about them not choosing these circumstances, or each other, Harry still felt pretty glad that this was the way things had turned out for him.

To be continued...
Gone by aspionage

Harry was supremely glad to not be Draco Malfoy in the weeks following the trial. 

 

In Harry’s opinion, every element of the other boy’s life was falling apart. If the Slytherins had been bad before, they were insufferable now, egged on by the slew of Daily Prophet articles rehashing the trial. From the rumours Harry had heard, Snape had given them a lecture about behaving following the verdict, but none of the Slytherins seemed inclined to listen to him. Worst of all, they were too smart to do anything in front of Snape’s face. 

 

The jeering and whispering was relentless, even in lessons. While the Slytherins didn’t dare to come after one of their own under the hawklike surveillance of Snape during Potions, the same barriers did not apply in Care of Magical Creatures. Hagrid’s confidence, which had been horribly shaken after the Buckbeak incident, meant that he had a difficult time controlling a class, particularly when that class was full of gleeful, spiteful Slytherins. Draco’s misery seemed to bring them immense joy, and every single one of his classmates save for a quiet, stringy boy who Harry thought was named Nott seemed hellbent on tormenting him.

 

There was no relief for Draco at home, either. Snape’s reserves of patience with Draco’s situation had been thoroughly exhausted by the Ministry incident, and he was now forced to spend nearly every night in some sort of brewing detention with Snape, where he completed a multitude of menial tasks while being lectured about respect and manipulation. Harry couldn’t help but be surprised by this slightly harsh punishment. He wouldn’t have expected Snape to take Draco doing something hurtful to Harry so seriously…

 

He couldn’t help but feel a little bad for Draco, though. Harry’s only punishments had consisted of a series of snide comments about his decision-making skills and being fitted with a new tracker, which was reinforced with a series of anti-destruction spells. It also now featured a new, oval-shaped carving which would make Snape’s corresponding bangle heat up if Harry pressed it to alert him to trouble. All in all, Harry had received far worse punishments for far less. Draco, on the other hand, seemed to be in detention for the foreseeable future. 

 

When Draco wasn’t gutting flobberworms and dissecting dragon hearts, he was drowning in a pile of incomplete schoolwork that he’d neglected during his angry January period. Snape had ordered Draco to get it done immediately, and he at last seemed willing to comply. The fight from before had died out.

 

Everything seemed to have died out of Draco, really.

 

Something was wrong. Draco was walking around like he was the one who had been sentenced to life behind bars. The spark of life in his eyes had been snuffed out, and it was like Harry was looking at some kind of ghost… a ghost who simply sat through Snape’s detentions, stared dully at his incomplete essays, and stared into the Forbidden Forest without saying anything while Blaise Zabini made snide comments about Hippogriffs and classic Malfoy cowardice.

 

Harry didn’t know what to do. He didn’t know who to talk to - certainly not Snape, who seemed to think that Draco ought to be behaving with a degree of contrition. Harry couldn’t help but suspect it was more than some well-placed remorse for breaking into the Ministry, though. Something wasn’t right. There was this horrible cloud of numbness hovering over Draco, leaving him an empty shell of his former self.

 

The first sign of a break out of this was on Friday afternoon, when Harry was returning to his bedroom after the day’s lessons but was stopped short by a ragged gasp. He remained frozen in place in the centre of the hallway, listening carefully, then heard another sniffle. Suppressing a sigh, Harry pushed the door to Draco’s bedroom open.

 

He found the other boy slumped halfway down the wall with his hands covering his face. When the hinges creaked, he started and looked up, revealing suspiciously red eyes. When he realised it was Harry, Draco went back to staring at the floor again.

 

“Erm - are you okay?” Harry asked awkwardly.

 

“Does it look like it?!” Draco snapped, hunching further down. 

 

“Sorry,” Harry mumbled, shifting from foot to foot.

 

Draco just shook his head, scrubbed his hands over his face, then pointed his wand at a pile of broken glass next to his nightstand. He muttered several repairing Charms and picked up a crumpled photograph from the floor, which he carefully smoothed the creases out of. It was the Malfoy family photograph that he always kept in prime position on his bedside table, although the three blondes were currently hiding in the edge of the photograph, glowering at Draco. He’d smashed the frame, it seemed.

 

After placing his picture back in its rightful place, Draco fell face-first onto his bed.

 

“I can’t do this anymore,” he said, voice muffled. “I can’t, Harry. I thought it was going to get better after the trial!”

 

“What’s been happening now?” Harry asked, alarmed.

 

“Zabini,” Draco said bitterly. He twisted his head so that he was more audible. “Some dratted Witch Weekly journalist decided it would be brilliant to publish word-for-word transcripts of the trial. Professor Flitwick was late, and Zabini decided to use the opportunity for a dramatic recreation of my father begging… complete with jeering from everybody in my class, of course…”

 

“That’s horrid!” Harry said indignantly. “What gives them any right to treat you this way? I thought they were your friends!”

 

“Were.” Draco’s legs curled in, so he was hugging them to his chest. 

 

“But why?!” Harry’s eyebrows furrowed. “Why would they turn on you like this?”

 

“It’s my fault.” Draco’s eyes went dull.

 

Harry glared at him. “Shut up! You didn’t do all those crimes -”

 

“No, no, not that,” Draco interrupted, waving one hand at him impatiently. “It’s my fault for being such a little snot my first two years here. You remember how annoying I used to be. I’m sure you can imagine how thrilled everyone is, now that they don’t have to suck up to the Malfoy heir to make Mummy and Daddy happy… Instead, they get to have their stupid revenge, and I’m stuck all by myself.”

 

“You’re not alone,” Harry corrected, sitting on the end of Draco’s bed. “You have me. Severus, too.”

 

If anything, the sadness on Draco’s face just grew more profound. He stared into the distance, a hand rhythmically rubbing up and down his arm.

 

“It’s different,” he said quietly. “You two are legally obligated to be stuck with me.”

 

Harry sighed, and just reached out to lay a hand on Draco’s shoulder. He still didn’t know what to say to make this better… if there was anything to say at all, of course, which Harry doubted.

 

“I think you should tell Severus about all of this,” Harry said.

 

Draco shot upright very quickly. He shook off Harry’s arm and fixed him with an indignant expression. “As if!”

 

“But -”

 

“I am not telling bloody Severus,” Draco snapped.

 

Harry frowned. “Why not? You know how scary he is - he’ll intimidate them into leaving you alone, easy -”

 

“And how is that going to work out for me once Severus isn’t in the room, Potter?” Draco asked. “You’re a Gryffindor - you lot spend enough time whingeing about Slytherins to know that we can be quite vicious! Don’t tell me for a second that you’d grass up your classmates if they were treating you horribly!”

 

“Well - well no, but -”

 

“I would quite like to move back into the Slytherin dormitory sometime, you know!” Draco added, voice climbing in volume. “How am I meant to do that if I run crying to my guardian with any little problem? They’ll hate me even more! The best thing to do is to just roll over and take it until they get interested in something else. Maybe I can win them over with the Slytherin versus Ravenclaw match? I don’t know… I could single-handedly win the Quidditch Cup, and I bet they’d all still hate me…”

 

Harry stared at Draco, a funny ache spreading throughout his chest. He had enough experience with Dudley to know precisely how useful ‘roll over and take it’ was as a defensive technique. 

 

He knew it meant that Draco had given up.

 

Seeing Draco in a state like this felt physically painful. Harry felt simultaneously upset and outraged by the treatment he was being subjected to - and so undeservedly, too! Just when Draco was changing, and when he had moved on from the bigoted little prat of before to the far nicer person he was now, he was being punished by the world in response.

 

Draco scowled furiously at Harry. “Stop pitying me. Merlin’s balls, if that’s how I look when I feel sorry for you, I can finally understand why you hate it so much…”

 

“Sorry.” Harry grimaced, and made a noticeable effort to school his features. “But I still think you should tell Severus -”

 

“Considering all the stuff you like to hide from him, I don’t think you have any right to lecture me about what I do and don’t tell him,” Draco retorted. “Stay out of it, Harry - I mean it. I want to deal with this myself.”

 

“Alright,” Harry agreed reluctantly.

 

Draco sighed mournfully. “Besides, it’s not like Severus would care anyway…”

 

Harry frowned. “What do you mean he wouldn’t care? Of course he would!”

 

Draco scoffed. “Don’t be stupid. You’ve seen the way Severus has been with me recently! He barely even looks at me after what I did, breaking into the Ministry like that and dragging you along with me… he’d probably just say I deserve it, after everything I’ve done…”

 

“Severus wouldn’t!” Harry said indignantly. “Maybe he’s angry, yeah, but he’d be really angry if he found out what they’re doing to you!”

 

“Severus thinks I deserve it,” Draco said dully, “and so do I. Just go away, Harry.”

 

“But -”

 

“Go!”

 

There was an inexplicable wave of force, and Harry found himself stumbling over the threshold, the door slamming shut in his face. He shuffled into his own bedroom and slumped in his desk chair. 

 

What was he supposed to do? Harry wasn’t going to go behind Draco’s back and snitch to Snape, but he also refused to sit back and just let Draco take it… so what was there to do?

 

But, as Harry discovered in Care of Magical Creatures on Monday, there was one thing Draco hadn’t banned Harry from doing - taking matters into his own hands.

 

It wasn’t a conscious decision that Harry had made, really. After spending an entire weekend staring at Draco’s closed bedroom door, a low-burning anger had been lit in his core. It was ready to ignite at the slightest provocation…

 

And Harry was finally goaded into exploding during Care of Magical Creatures on Monday.

 

Perhaps the Slytherins were feeling particularly emboldened by Draco’s pacifism, or perhaps they were feeling especially vicious; Harry couldn’t be certain. Either way, they used Hagrid’s class as a great cover to attack Draco with a slew of insults. 

 

Harry knew that today would already be difficult for Draco - they were dealing with fire salamanders, who resided in the low-burning embers of a few small campfires that Hagrid had lit. Harry watched his brother nervously, worried he’d be set off by his old hatred of fires, but even this couldn’t seem to pierce the bubble of misery encircling Draco. He stared at his creatures with empty eyes, looking downtrodden and dejected.

 

The Slytherins were also watching him closely, presumably looking for an opening to insult him. After a fire salamander accidentally shot a tiny jet of fire at Dracos’ finger, causing him to hiss in pain, that opening presented itself. Zabini’s face twisted into a sneer.

 

“Are you going to start blubbering like dear old dad, Malfoy?” he taunted.

 

Draco’s shoulders hunched further over the magical creature he was attending to, lips pursed. He stayed silent, even as all the Slytherins snickered and smirked, and Harry’s hands curled into fists. 

 

“Don’t you have anything better to do, Zabini?” Harry snapped before he could help himself. “Leave him alone!” 

 

Several Slytherins jeered, and Zabini’s eyes darted from Draco to Harry. “And what’s it to you, Potter? Since when do you give a damn about Malfoy?”

 

“I just prefer not spending my afternoons listening to your sorry excuses for insults, Zabini,” Harry said tetchily. “Hearing you speak is more painful than listening to the Fat Lady sing, and believe me, that’s saying something…”

 

Several Gryffindors laughed, and Zabini narrowed his eyes. “Upset about your little boyfriend’s feelings, Potter?”

 

“Alright - stop chatterin’, everyone!” Hagrid said nervously, flapping his enormous hands. “Back ter work!”

 

The Slytherins returned to their fire salamanders, excluding Draco. He was staring at Harry furiously.

 

“Leave it,” he said through gritted teeth, stomping across the grass. 

 

“He has a point, Harry,” Hermione whispered. “You getting involved is just going to encourage them -”

 

“I don’t care,” Harry spat, jabbing at his campfire with a stick. “They shouldn’t be treating Draco like this!”

 

“They shouldn’t, but remember who you are to them, Harry!” Hermione pleaded. “How will it look if Harry Potter, of all people, starts coming to his defence? It’ll just egg them on!”

 

Harry didn’t respond, and kept stabbing at the campfire, disturbing the poor fire salamanders terribly. He wished that Draco would do something about the stupid Slytherins already…

 

The hairs on the back of Harry’s neck stood on end. The Slytherins’ whispers had suddenly cut off. That couldn’t be good. Harry looked up, and scanned the other half of the students…

 

Just in time to see Draco shriek, his cloak engulfed in flames.

 

“Draco!” Harry shouted, running across the field with his wand in hand. 

 

Before he could reach his brother, however, Harry heard Hermione shout, “Aguamenti!” 

 

A jet of water hit Draco’s cloak, dousing the flames in an instant, leaving just a few curling strands of smoke. This didn’t calm Draco in the slightest. He struggled with the clasp at his throat, then yanked the cloak from his shoulders and threw it as far away from him as physically possible. He was trembling all over, and his chest was heaving.

 

Harry ran to his side. “Are you -”

 

“Get away!” he hissed, shoving Harry hard in the chest. He stumbled back several steps and stared at Draco in horror, unsure of what to do.

 

All of the Slytherins were cackling. Zabini in particular was grinning, wand hanging loosely in his hand.

 

“Look at him!” Pansy Parkinson jeered. “Are you going to cry, Malfoy?”

 

“Now - that’s enough!” Hagrid said uncertainly. He was looking from side to side wildly, trying to pinpoint the attacker with minimal success. “Which one of yeh did that?”

 

The Slytherins were unperturbed by Hagrid; if anything, his questions seemed to embolden them. Zabini took a step forward.

 

“The big baby!” he said, a cruel smile playing about his lips. “Smells just like home, doesn’t it, Malfoy?” 

 

It was like a red mist descended over Harry’s vision. That comment snipped away the last remaining threads of restraint, and all Harry knew was that he wanted some sort of justice, punishment, anything to make Zabini think twice before he ever dared to do something like that to Draco again. 

 

In that moment, he forgot everything. Harry forgot he was a wizard with a wand, that Zabini was flanked by the far stronger Crabbe and Goyle, and that Draco wanted him to leave things alone. He flew at the other Zabini, toppling both of them to the ground, and began to punch every inch of exposed flesh he could reach, over and over, not caring for the sharp, painful blows he received in return, he wanted Zabini to hurt -

 

A vicious kick to the side threw Harry off Zabini, gasping for air that would not enter his winded lungs. He pushed himself onto his knees and saw Crabbe, looming overhead, and tried to lunge at him too -

 

Strong arms seized Harry and dragged him backwards, lifting his feet from the ground. Harry flailed around wildly, uncertain of what was happening, and realised that Hagrid was dragging him away.

 

“ENOUGH!” Hagrid had found his voice at last. “ALL OF YEH, STOP - RON, WHAT’RE YEH DOING?”

 

Harry’s jaw dropped as he saw Ron, currently attempting to take on both Crabbe and Goyle singlehandedly with very limited success. Crabbe had already managed to get him in a headlock, and Ron’s nose was bleeding heavily. Harry barely had time to marvel at that bold move before Seamus and Dean got involved, launching themselves at Crabbe and Goyle to get them off Ron; now a cluster of other Slytherins were entering the fray, until the whole class was locked into a vicious, screeching cluster of fists and spellfire -

 

BANG! 

 

The explosion sent Harry flying out of Hagrid’s grasp and onto the grass, where he landed with a thud. He propped himself up gingerly and noticed that everyone else had been thrown into the ground as well, save for one lone figure, standing with her wand raised. It was none other than Professor McGonagall. Her eyes were glinting and steely, and her nostrils were flaring.

 

“What the devil have I just walked into?” she shouted. “Muggle brawling?! Explain yourselves, now!”

 

Harry pressed a hand to his head and grimaced, the last fading heat of fury dissipating from his body. He was in a world of trouble, now…

 


 

Harry stared at the cobblestone floor of Snape’s office and ran his tongue over his lip, newly knitted together by Madam Pomfrey. After receiving the bollocking of a lifetime from Professor McGonagall alongside the rest of the third-years, he and Ron, who had been worst injured in the brawl, had been packed off to the Hospital Wing to have their injuries seen to. Ron was still with Madam Pomfrey, having his broken nose mended. Harry, however, had been quickly patched up and delivered into the clutches of one outraged Snape. 

 

Professor McGonagall had, of course, taken the liberty of immediately informing Snape about Harry’s role in starting the brawl that had occurred in Care of Magical Creatures. He hadn’t said anything in the Hospital Wing, of course, but Snape’s jaw was set and rigid as he grabbed Harry by the collar and began to haul him back to the dungeons, to be ‘dealt with at home’ as he put it. Harry resisted the urge to groan as he continued to stare at the ground. He really needed to stop ending up in this position…

 

“Explain yourself,” Snape ordered in a low voice.

 

Harry glared at the ground, but didn’t respond.

 

“Harry.” There was a heavy note of warning in Snape’s voice. “I’m not going to ask again.”

 

“Good. You’ll save yourself a lot of time, since I don’t want to talk about it,” Harry bit out.

 

“Do not cheek me,” Snape growled. “This is your chance to have your side heard out, Harry. I know you do not start fights for no reason. Explain yourself this instant!”

 

But Harry, as much as he thought Draco should go to Snape and explain, knew there was an honour code to things like this. He wasn’t a rat. If Draco, the person who was really suffering from all of this, didn’t want to tell Snape, then Harry wasn’t going to do it for him.

 

“Zabini pissed me off - what more is there to know?!” Harry snapped.

 

“I know that you aren’t telling me the truth,” Snape said tersely. “This isn’t like you.”

 

Snape rounded his desk and stood directly in front of Harry. When he continued to sullenly stare at the ground without responding, Snape firmly tilted his head up so Harry had to meet his eyes. Harry could tell by the tightness in his face that Snape was still very angry, but desperately trying to control himself out of some greater concern.

 

“Well?” he prompted. “I’m waiting.”

 

“Can’t you ever just leave it?” Harry said angrily. 

 

He managed to squirm out of Snape’s grip, then backed away across the room and pressed himself against the wall. He couldn’t make direct eye contact with Snape right now - what if he used Legilimency to skim the truth from the surface of his thoughts? Harry immediately started Occluding, even though he knew that if Snape wanted to get the answers out of him that way, his meagre shields wouldn’t stand in the way. 

 

“Zabini is a dickhead, and that’s all I want to say about it!” he said stubbornly.

 

“Language!”

 

“Oh, come off it!” Harry snapped.

 

“Fine, then!” Snape crossed his arms and glared across the room. “As you are so stubbornly insistent on refusing to explain yourself, then I shall treat you like you incited the incident! A week’s detention with me!”

 

“What?” Harry burst out. “That’s so unfair! I already got detention from Professor McGonagall!”

 

“And this is the punishment I am assigning as your guardian for your shocking conduct in school and for your continual lies,” Snape said harshly.

 

“How am I lying to you?!”

 

“Lying by omission is still lying!” Snape said loudly. “When you tell me the truth, I will be perfectly happy to lessen your punishment…”

 

Harry did not respond. He continued to glare at Snape, furious with him and even more annoyed at Draco and his refusal to do anything about the legions of Slytherins setting themselves against him.

 

“Am I dismissed, sir?” he ground out.

 

“Until such a time as you see fit to tell me the truth, then yes,” Snape stared at him, like he was expecting an answer. “Until then, go to your room.”

 

Harry did not fix him with a response; he wheeled around on his heel, stalked over to the door and slammed it shut behind him. Harry slammed his bedroom door shut, too, but before he could so much as sit down in a huff, Snape wrenched it back open. He looked truly furious now, white-faced and eyes flashing.

 

“If you slam another door in my quarters, those detentions are doubled,” he said angrily.

 

Harry fixed him with a truly withering look, and kept glowering until Snape finally left him alone. Once the man had disappeared, he took it upon himself to kick his desk chair several times, trying to dissipate some of the fizzling, furious energy that was building inside him yet again.

 

It was all just so stupid! Harry wished he’d had longer to beat in Zabini’s stupid, smug face before Hagrid had dragged him away…

 

In the end, Harry spent all of the afternoon and evening sequestered in his bedroom. He even ate a meal alone at his desk, sent in by house-elves. Harry was presuming he was essentially grounded to his room as punishment, something which suited him perfectly well. He didn’t particularly want to see Snape, either.

 

The only person Harry did want to check on was Draco, who he hadn’t seen since Professor McGonagall had shouted at them all in the field outside of Hagrid’s Hut. Draco had had a glazed, empty look in his eyes, and had stood with his arms around his middle. It looked like he was locking himself into the furthest recesses of his mind to try and avoid confronting the situation he had found himself in…

 

When it was late enough at night that Snape wouldn’t hear him, Harry took it upon himself to creep across the hallway and into Draco’s room. He gently pushed the door open and saw Draco’s eyes glinting slightly in the faint light trickling in from the hallway. He still looked so sad and empty…

 

“Zabini’s a prick,” Harry muttered, pulling the door shut behind him. “Is that how the Slytherins are in every lesson?”

 

“Just leave it, Harry.” Draco’s voice was muffled as he pulled the duvet up and over his face.

 

“They shouldn’t treat you like this!” Harry hissed, clenching his hands into fists. “If I could just -”

 

“You’re not going to do anything, Harry!” Draco pushed himself upright and narrowed his eyes. “You’ve done enough damage already, so can you actually do something to help me out and just leave it?”

 

“But -”

 

“But nothing!” Draco’s voice was rapidly climbing in volume. “You don’t know how Slytherins work, Harry, so stop acting like you do! You’ve done enough damage already, so bloody well butt out before you do more!”

 

He purposefully turned his back on Harry, leaving him silhouetted in the doorway, a peculiar ache in his chest. All he’d wanted to do was help - had he really just done more damage? After lingering for a moment, he decided to finally withdraw from the room and leave Draco alone, like he wanted.

 


 

“How’s your nose?”

 

Ron touched the bridge of his nose and shrugged. “Madam Pomfrey managed to fix the crooked bit eventually. Besides, I probably shouldn’t have tried to take on Crabbe and Goyle alone…”

 

“Yes,” Hermione said sniffily, cutting up her breakfast without deigning to look at either of them. “You shouldn’t have.”

 

“You can’t talk!” Ron said irritably. “I watched you hex Parkinson!”

 

“Yes - I hexed her,” Hermione said pointedly. “You could outdo Crabbe and Goyle in a duel easily, Ron! Not in a fist fight!”

 

Harry frowned. “You hexed Parkinson? I didn’t see her in the Hospital Wing yesterday.”

 

Hermione’s cheeks flushed. “Well… it was a little more subtle than that, you see… but if you look closely, you’ll see Pansy’s acne take a step up over the next month or so.”

 

Harry turned around to look at the Slytherin table. Pansy was currently staring at herself in the reflection of a spoon, dabbing at a rather cakey layer of makeup. Even from here, Harry could notice the angry, red lumps that her foundation was failing to fully hide.

 

“Bloody hell, Hermione,” Harry said admiringly. “That’s no acne I’ve ever seen - it looks more like boils!”

 

“Well, I might have overpowered the spell a little,” she admitted. “I was just so angry with how she was treating Malfoy!”

 

“Since when do you care about Malfoy?” Ron asked. His voice sounded more confused than horrified, to Harry’s relief.

 

“I just don’t think they should be treating him so terribly, especially with everything he’s got going on!” Hermione said, shaking her head. 

 

If hearing a statement of sympathy aimed at Draco wasn’t enough to surprise Harry on his own, Ron’s next comment was enough to practically knock Harry out of his seat.

 

“How’s he doing, Harry?” Ron asked. “Is he alright?”

 

After struggling not to choke on a bit of egg, Harry overcame his shock enough to answer the question. “Not really,” he admitted. “He’s quite upset about everything, I can tell, although he won’t talk to me about it, or Sever - er, Snape…”

 

“I think he should really tell Professor Snape, Harry,” Hermione said. “It’s getting out of hand.”

 

“I do too, but he just won’t!”

 

“Well, can’t you tell him for Malfoy?” Hermione asked.

 

“God, no!” Harry protested. “He’d kill me! I just need to wait for Draco to deal with it himself, whenever that is… I’m not a snitch.”

 

For some reason, Hermione glanced away at that comment, suddenly very fascinated by her food.

 

“Well, I think we came off better in that fight,” Ron announced. “You gave Zabini a right shiner, Harry.”

 

He managed a thin smile. “Yeah, I did. That git definitely had it coming…”

 

Ron decided to spend the rest of breakfast rehashing the fight, although Harry couldn’t help but notice him neglecting to mention just how badly Crabbe and Goyle had gotten the best of him during the incident. Hermione seemed determined to primly ignore them all for the duration. Harry assumed she was judging him for his reluctance to talk to Snape about what had actually happened. 

 

Hermione’s strange quiet only ended when Ron noticed Crookshanks strolling across the grounds at the conclusion of their Herbology lesson and made a nasty comment about the cat, triggering the eruption of yet another Crookshanks and Scabbers argument. Harry then proceeded to spend the majority of his breaktime scanning the courtyard for Draco, seeking companionship that didn’t include his bickering best friends. There was no sign of the other boy, though, so Harry was forced to put up with Ron and Hermione’s fighting, and subsequent icy silence. 

 

As he entered into the Transfiguration classroom once their break ended, Harry felt like Professor McGonagall’s eyes lingered on Harry for a fraction longer than was normal. He quickly pushed that impression away. If anything, she was just glaring at him for starting a fight with the Slytherins. 

 

Ten minutes into the class, there was an unexpected knock at the door. The entire class craned their necks to watch as Snape strode in. 

 

“Can I borrow Mr Potter, please?” Snape asked. His dark eyes were fixed on Harry, who reluctantly got to his feet. Most of the Gryffindors were giving him sympathetic looks, while Ron and Hermione, who knew the truth of his guardianship arrangements, looked slightly concerned. 

 

Harry didn’t say a word to Snape as he walked out of the classroom. Snape shut the door behind them and began to walk silently down the corridor, Harry trailing a pace or so behind. Instead of taking Harry to his office in the dungeons, like he’d expected, Snape ducked into the nearby office of Professor McGonagall, instead. 

 

“Sit.”

 

Harry did so, and was surprised when Snape didn’t sit down in the chair behind Professor McGonagall’s desk, but in the one next to Harry. There was still something tense in the set of his jaw, but Snape looked far less angry than he had last night.

 

“Is there anything you wish to tell me?” he asked abruptly. 

 

“No,” Harry said curtly, scuffing at the ground with his shoe.

 

Snape sighed. “Very well. I shall engage in the bulk of the talking, I think. Let me fill you in on what I have just been informed of. While I was speaking with Professor McGonagall during breaktime this morning, I heard about some of the finer details of the incident yesterday morning.”

 

Harry winced. This was not going to be good…

 

“So Mr Zabini decided it would be amusing to set Draco’s clothing alight, did he? And then made certain untoward comments about what happened to Draco’s home?” Snape’s eyes were practically boring into Harry’s, now. “Is this true?”

 

He nodded reluctantly, knowing Draco was going to be furious. How had Professor McGonagall found out the details, anyway? She hadn’t gotten there until the end! Had Draco finally told someone what was going on?

 

“Miss Granger also informed Professor McGonagall that the Slytherin third-years in your Care of Magical Creatures class also spent most of the class taunting Draco. I’m assuming that is also true?”

 

Hermione - that explained why the teachers knew, now. That must have been why she had gone so strangely quiet when Harry had spoken about not snitching that morning… she must have already told Professor McGonagall the previous evening without knowing it was supposed to stay secret.

 

“I cannot possibly understand why you didn’t tell me any of this!” Snape said irritably. “Especially since I gave you multiple fair opportunities -”

 

Harry scoffed. “Draco specifically told me not to, and I’m no grass. I was dealing with it myself.”

 

Snape made a very exasperated sort of noise. “Merlin save me from the honour code of teenagers! You should not take matters into your own hands like that, Harry! It’s not telling tales to inform a teacher of such a vicious incident of bullying.” 

 

“But -”

 

“But nothing,” Snape said, raising a hand for silence. “I thought you knew better than this, Harry! You shouldn’t have hidden something like this from me, even if Draco did ask you to. I have the ability to help!”

 

Harry rolled his eyes. “No offence, Severus, but teachers never help with this sort of thing.”

 

“I beg your pardon?”

 

Harry gulped at the angry expression on Snape’s face and clamped his mouth shut. After a moment, Snape cleared his throat.

 

“Do explain yourself, please.” 

 

When Harry remained silent, Snape placed a hand on his arm. “Harry, you’re not in trouble. I just want to know what has led you to think this way.”

 

“None of my teachers in primary school ever helped when I tried to tell them about Dudley,” Harry muttered, shrugging off Snape’s hand. “If they even believed me to begin with, all it did was make things worse, since Dudley was angry he was in trouble and would take it out on me. Either that, or the teachers would tell Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia, and I’d get in trouble at home for lying about Dudley. Adults can’t help with this stuff - the only way to deal with a bully is to show them you won’t sit back and take it. You can’t give them a weak target.”

 

“I think I am beginning to understand,” Snape said slowly. “And your fight with Zabini was an attempt to stand up for Draco when he wouldn’t do so himself?”

 

“Yeah.” Harry cleared his throat slightly. “And to be honest, I was just angry. He was really horrid to Draco. I didn’t like it.”

 

“I see.”

 

Snape’s eyes were boring into his, leaving Harry feeling oddly x-rayed. He decided to stare at the ground instead.

 

“I would like to once again remind you that the way you were treated by the Dursleys is not the norm,” Snape said eventually. “If someone is bullying you, I will believe you and deal with it. If someone is bullying Draco, I will believe it and deal with it. Do not let the mistreatment you experienced in your childhood cloud your judgement - things have changed.”

 

Harry shrugged, and didn’t reply. Snape seemed to be searching for some kind of response, even though Harry just didn’t know what to say.

 

“Sorry for not telling you,” he muttered after a moment.

 

“Are you actually sorry?”

 

“All that detention I’ve got has made me pretty sorry.” Harry looked up from the floor and gave Snape a pointed look.

 

He sighed. “Perhaps, given that I understand the true nature of the situation, the detentions with Mr Filch assigned by Professor McGonagall can be your sole punishment. I can appreciate your loyalty to Draco, at the very least, if not your methods.”

 

Harry was very surprised by Snape’s choice, but wisely didn’t point that out. The less detention, the better.

 

Despite getting off so easily, Harry couldn’t help but ask, “Can’t I swap and do the detentions with you, not Filch?”

 

Snape raised his eyebrows. “I do hope you’re not serious.”

 

“Well, it was worth a try,” Harry muttered. A few nights of scrubbing the castle it was, then…

 

Snape’s lips twitched, and he got to his feet. “Well, seeing as you are so intimately involved in this business, I think it would be wise for you to be present for some of my discussion with Draco about what happened. Come with me while I fetch him from Charms.”

 

“Alright,” Harry agreed, scarcely managing to hide his reluctance. If Draco saw Harry walking alongside Snape, he was going to immediately assume that Harry had snitched… no matter what Snape said to the contrary, Harry still knew that wasn’t a done thing.

 

Both of them made quick work of the journey to the Charms classroom. Snape indicated with his head for Harry to wait to the left of the door. As he opened it, Harry caught sight of multicoloured red bubbles floating in the air and wondered what he’d be doing in his own Charms lesson later this week.

 

“Professor Flitwick. May I borrow Mr Malfoy?” Snape’s voice suddenly sounded far angrier than it had just minutes ago when he’d been talking to Harry. Of course, Snape was now facing the Slytherins who had been picking on Draco. He certainly wasn’t going to be happy with them…

 

“I’m afraid he isn’t present,” Professor Flitwick squeaked.

 

“Why not?” There was a hidden note of alarm in Snape’s voice that Harry could barely just pick up on.

 

“He never came in today,” Professor Flitwick said. 

 

“I see - thank you for your time, Filius.”

 

Snape withdrew from the classroom and shut the door, then rounded on Harry. 

 

“When was the last time you saw Draco?” he demanded immediately. “Did you see him during your break?”

 

Harry frowned. “I didn’t notice him in the courtyard, no. I last saw him at breakfast, I think.”

 

Snape’s face had turned truly grim. “Return to my quarters until I can ascertain his location. Madam Pomfrey normally informs me straight away if either of you end up in the Hospital Wing, but I’ve not been in my office this morning, so I might have missed any messages… if you find Draco there, or if he returns while you wait, alert me with your tracker.”

 

Harry frowned. “He might just be bunking off, Severus -”

 

“Perhaps he may be, but given the vicious attacks I have just been informed of, I am slightly concerned he is lying paralysed in a hallway somewhere!” Snape snapped.

 

Harry gulped. “Oh.”

 

“Go and wait for me, Harry - now.” 

 

He nodded very quickly, then hurried downstairs in the direction of the dungeons, heart in his throat. Now, he was thoroughly convinced that one of those awful Slytherins had done something to Draco. It wasn’t just the third-years that were harassing him, after all… hadn’t Harry been involved in a fight with a few older students earlier this year? They would know far worse curses than the third-years did… Harry shivered and kept his eyes peeled for a flash of blonde as he made his way through the winding dungeon corridors. What Harry really wanted to do was to go out and search for Draco himself, and it took everything Harry had in him to do as Snape told him.

 

As he approached Asclepius’ portrait, however, Harry was struck by a sudden flash of inspiration. “Hey - you haven’t happened to see Draco coming in or out of here recently, have you?”

 

Asclepius fixed Harry with one of his usual malevolent glares. “And what possible motivation would prompt me to help you? If you’ve lost one of your playmates, then stop dawdling about and go find him yourself! The laziness of young people these days…”

 

Harry bit down on the inside of his cheek, willing himself to be patient. If he started bickering with Asclepius like he normally did, Harry wouldn’t get the information he needed.

 

“I have some pretty decent motivation for you, actually,” Harry said instead. “Your Housemaster wants to work out where Draco might be. Professor Snape can’t find him anywhere.”

 

Asclepius glowered at him for several moments, then let out a put-upon, hissing sigh. “Fine. You inform the Housemaster that he entered this room shortly after the commencement of morning break, then left significantly after he ought to have been in class…”

 

“What?!” Harry burst out. “Why did he leave so late? Where did he go? Which direction did he head in?”

 

“I have better things to do than constantly obsess over the movements of children!” Asclepius said irritably. “You two are always running in and out, pounding down the hallway like a stampede of elephants, disturbing my sleep…”

 

“You weren’t busy!” Harry snapped. “You were probably too concerned with primping your scales to actually do your job as a portrait!”

 

“How dare you! My scales are the crowning jewels of my ouroboros lineage, and the audacity of you to -”

 

“Damocles,” Harry muttered. “Let me in already, you stupid lizard.”

 

The portrait swung open, prompted by the password, still furiously hissing and complaining, and Harry hurried into his quarters, wishing that Snape would replace that nightmare portrait already.

 

Snape may have to stay put, but that didn’t mean it was an easy task. After a cursory walkthrough of their quarters to see if Draco was hiding anywhere, Harry couldn’t quite bring himself to sit down and wait for something to happen. He was paced the living room like a caged animal, feeling horribly anxious and worried for Draco. 

 

When the sitting room began feeling too confined, Harry rushed into his bedroom instead, and upon seeing the state of slovenliness it was in, decided it was high time to clean things. At least that way, he’d have something to do with his hands. There wasn’t anything truly labour-intensive to do, since the house-elves kept everything spotless and dust-free, so Harry began to line things up and move books onto shelves.

 

 As he removed his History of Magic textbook from on top of the Herbology one, Harry frowned. The cream corner of a piece of parchment was sticking out from behind the front cover. Harry didn’t remember sticking a copy of any notes in the front of his textbook… confused, he opened the book and removed the parchment.

 

It wasn’t Harry’s handwriting on the page, though. It was Draco’s.

 

Harry,

 

I’m sorry, but I just can’t do this anymore. I know you were trying to help, but nothing can possibly make them stop. Things are going to be a living nightmare forever. I’ve lost everything since the arrests and the trials, and I don’t know how to go on the way I have. I just need to get away from Hogwarts for a while. Thanks for giving me the idea, by the way. 

 

Try not to worry, and try to stop Severus from worrying, too, if you can.

 

D.L.M.

 

Harry read and reread the letter over and over, checking for a second page that wasn’t there, trying to make sense of the words. After a little while, the words started to blur, because his hands were shaking too badly to hold the page steady.

 

What the hell had Draco done?

 

This wasn’t some sort of Slytherin attack, Harry quickly realised. Draco had vanished because he wanted to. He’d gone somewhere - done something -

 

I need Severus, Harry realised suddenly. He dropped the letter to his desk, yanked his sleeve up and began to press at the small oval carving on the tracker, over and over. He didn’t think he needed to do it so many times, but Harry felt frantic, and he needed Snape here, he needed him now -

 

The door to Snape’s quarters burst open. Harry rushed into the hallway, nearly colliding with Snape.

 

“What’s happened?” Snape panted. He was out of breath - he must have run the distance to the dungeons. 

 

Harry opened his mouth, but found he didn’t have anything to say, no way to explain, so he darted into his bedroom to snatch the letter off his desk and thrust it into Snape’s hands. He peered down at it, and Harry watched as every last drop of blood drained from Snape’s face. Just as Harry had, he reread the letter several times before he did or said anything.

 

“Tell me what you know,” Snape demanded.

 

Harry’s eyebrows furrowed. “I don’t know -”

 

“Then why did he say you gave him the idea?” Snape grabbed his shoulders suddenly, making Harry flinch. “You cannot lie for him right now, Harry - what has he done?!”

 

“I already said I don’t know! I’m not lying, I swear! I wouldn’t!” Harry wrenched himself from Snape’s grasp and pressed himself against the hallway wall, feeling inexplicably frightened. He’d never seen Snape like this. He was simultaneously livid, and… something else. Some other terrible, dreadful emotion that Harry couldn’t name, but immediately hated.

 

Snape seemed to take in Harry’s hunched profile, and the darkness in his eyes was tempered by something close to guilt. “Harry, I - I apologise.”

 

Harry nodded once, not daring to speak.

 

“I cannot make sense of this,” Snape said after a moment, gesturing to the letter.

 

“Neither could I,” Harry muttered, rubbing his arms. He was inexplicably chilly, and mentally cursed the frigid dungeons for their temperature.

 

Snape took Harry’s hand, startling him, and led Harry into his bedroom. He sat on the edge of the bed, keeping his hand tight around Harry’s. There was some intense emotion in his eyes, something that Harry wanted to shy away from, but he couldn’t bring himself to break away his gaze. 

 

“I need you to think carefully about what I’m going to ask you.”

 

“Okay,” Harry said quietly.

 

“I think we’ve both noticed that Draco has seemed a little… down, as of late,” Snape said levelly. “But… do you think that has developed into something more? Has he said anything to you that leads you to believe he might have… perhaps hurt himself?”

 

Harry felt like his heart plummeted into his stomach. A strange buzzing noise filled his head as he stared at Snape, horrified.

 

“I - I didn’t even consider it might be that -” 

 

“It very well might not be,” Snape said evenly, “but I must consider all the possibilities.”

 

I can’t do this anymore - I thought things would get better after the trial -

 

I deserve it, after everything I’ve done - 

 

Yes, Draco seemed sad, numb, but he wouldn’t… he couldn’t… 

 

“Harry.” Severus squeezed his arm, bringing Harry back to himself. “There is a very good chance that nothing of that nature has occurred, but I must consider everything that could have happened. Do you understand?”

 

“He can’t have done that,” Harry gasped. His whole body felt like it was made of ice. “He can’t, he -”

 

“Harry, calm down and take a breath!” Snape ordered. “I cannot give you a potion right now - you need to remain clear-headed. Do your Occlumency, now.”

 

Harry nodded jerkily and did his best to picture the rolling fields of the Quidditch pitch, trying to breathe around the lump in his throat…

 

It was only once his breathing had levelled out that Snape spoke again. “Has he implied anything to you that would be cause for concern?”

 

“He - I walked into his room on Friday, and he was - he was crying,” Harry stammered out, “and he said he used to think things were going to get better, but they aren’t, and then Draco said he thought he deserved how the Slytherins were treating him, and he said you would agree when I said he should tell you. And - well, he’s just seemed so off lately…”

 

Snape’s face had grown rather grim. “I see.”

 

“Severus, you don’t really think -”

 

“Harry, I cannot know anything for certain.” Snape got to his feet. “No matter what caused this, Draco is missing and needs to be found as soon as possible. Stay here while I start the search.”

 

“But -”

 

“You will stay!”

 

“I want to help!” Harry shouted. “I have to -”

 

“I cannot worry about you too right now, Harry!” he snapped. “You will wait here for news, or in case someone comes back here looking for me. That is how you’re going to help. Do you understand me?”

 

Harry nodded jerkily. 

 

“Do not disobey me.”

 

Snape finally released him and swept out of the room without another word. Harry wiped his hands on his trousers as the door slammed shut - he was positively drenched in icy sweat. 

 

Harry walked in circles, while his mind buzzed frantically with horrible images of Draco, dead, or soon to be, surrounded by a legion of laughing Slytherins crowded around his broken body… 

 

He was in Draco’s room, now. Harry didn’t know how he’d gotten there. He looked around, at the bookshelves full of novels Draco always read, the photograph of him and his parents, a book of sheet music on his desk - would Harry ever hear the sound of Draco playing the piano in their quarters again? He wouldn’t, not if Draco had really -

 

Harry couldn’t finish the thought, and he couldn’t keep looking around the room, because his eyes were growing blurry with tears. Had he missed something? Was there a sign he hadn’t picked up on, some indication of what had been going through Draco’s head that he could have told Snape?

 

But Harry just couldn’t believe Draco had done such a thing… the letter - it hadn’t sounded suicidal to him. In his wretched state, Harry couldn’t quite recall the wording, so he ran back across the hallway, into his room, where Snape had left the letter, discarded on his bed…

 

I just need to get away from Hogwarts… 

 

Get away how, though? Not in the way Snape had implied, surely? He kept saying not to worry…

 

After what felt like an eternity of Harry struggling to make sense of things, he could hear a faint thudding noise, in the direction of the living room… but Draco wouldn’t knock at the portrait, would he? Draco knew the password…

 

Harry hurried over anyway, and was simultaneously disappointed and relieved to see Ron and Hermione waiting on the other side.

 

“Professor Snape caught us while we were walking back from lunch, and told us to come down here to meet you,” Hermione informed him. 

 

Ron was frowning. “What’s wrong? You look awful.”

 

Harry opened his mouth, but nothing came out. What was there to explain? How could he possibly even begin to put into words what had happened this morning?

 

Ron and Hermione exchanged dark looks and stepped forward into Snape’s quarters, pulling the portrait shut behind them.

 

“Harry, he didn’t explain, but Professor Snape looked really worried,” Hermione said nervously. “What happened?”

 

“It’s… it’s Draco,” Harry rasped. “He’s gone, and - and Snape thinks… he thinks he might have…”

 

But no matter how much he tried, Harry couldn’t force the dreaded words past the lump in his throat. He couldn’t so much as think them, really, and the more he tried, the more dangerously close to tears Harry felt. 

 

Before he had to say it, though, Hermione threw her arms around Harry and hugged him tightly. She must have noticed how upset he was. Harry squeezed his eyes shut and tried to take a few shuddering breaths, feeling worse than he had in a long, long time, worse than he felt even around Dementors. He hoped Hermione wouldn’t let go.

 

“Why don’t we sit down?” she said in a small voice after some time had elapsed.

 

Harry nodded, pulled away, and shuffled over to the sofa. Ron and Hermione sat on either side of Harry, sandwiching him. They waited patiently, until he somehow had it in him to speak.

 

“He’s not been doing well,” Harry rasped. “The Slytherins - well, you two saw yesterday… and with the trial, well - he’s not coping. Snape’s worried he might have… done something.”

 

Harry could tell by the confused frown on Ron’s face that he hadn’t quite comprehended what Harry was getting at, but he knew Hermione had by her small gasp.

 

“Oh, Harry,” she said softly. “I’m so sorry.”

 

He leaned forward and buried his face in his hands. Over the top of his head, Harry heard Hermione hiss something unintelligible at Ron, who made a shocked sort of noise.

 

“Bloody hell, mate,” he muttered. “That’s horrible.”

 

Harry didn’t need to respond. It was horrible, after all…

 

They sat in silence for a very long time. Harry didn’t know what to say, and Hermione and Ron clearly didn’t either. He stared blankly at the wall, chest crushed beneath an unbearable weight.

 

“Why don’t I make some tea?” Ron said abruptly. “Does Snape keep any in here?”

 

Harry lifted his head and stared at him blankly, and Ron’s ears went red.

 

“What?” he said brusquely. “It’s what my mum does whenever someone’s upset…”

 

“He keeps tea bags in the cupboard on the left for when it’s too late to bother the house-elves,” Harry said in a hollow voice that sounded nothing like his own.

 

Ron got to his feet and headed to the kitchen. Harry’s eyes caught on Draco’s usual chair again, and felt a horrid wetness building up in the corners of his eyes once more. He shook himself furiously. Why was he being so bloody emotional? It wasn’t practical, and it wasn’t helping anyone.

 

“Sorry,” Harry muttered. furiously swiping at his face. “I don’t know why I’m so upset…”

 

“Well, it’s obvious that you would be, isn’t it?” Hermione said matter-of-factly. “You love him, Harry. You’re going to be worried.”

 

Those words, simple as they were, sent Harry reeling, most of all because they were true. 

 

Harry did love Draco, didn’t he?

 

That’s why he’d gone traipsing through the Ministry of Magic after him, even though Draco had spent a good two weeks treating him terribly. That was why he’d been unable to control himself after Zabini had set Draco’s cloak on fire. That’s why Snape’s words, asking if Draco might have done something to himself, had sent Harry reeling… Draco was his brother, and Harry loved him.

 

What a terrible thing to realise on the day Harry might have lost Draco forever.

 

“He’s as good as my brother, you know,” Harry croaked, while Ron set a steaming cup of tea in front of him. “I just… I can’t bear the idea that something awful’s happened to him…”

 

“Look, Harry,” Ron said quietly, sitting back next to him, “I know it’s not exactly the same, but last year, after Ginny got taken into the Chamber, and we all thought she - she was…” He swallowed, hard. “Well, I understand a bit how you must be feeling. I know it’s terrible. I’m sorry, mate.”

 

Harry nodded, his chest aching. Ron would understand, wouldn’t he? Ron had almost lost a sibling…

 

Ron reached out and sort of patted Harry’s shoulder, a bit awkwardly, but it meant more to Harry than he ever could have explained.

 

“I just don’t think he’d have - I don’t think he’d do what Snape thinks he did,” Harry whispered, still unable to say it aloud. “The letter’s too weird… it almost sounded like he’s going somewhere.”

 

“Can we see it, Harry?” Hermione asked timidly.

 

Harry inclined his head and reached into his pocket to fish out the letter. By now, it had become rather crumpled, having been passed around so much over the course of the last couple of hours. 

 

Hermione and Ron both craned their necks to read it, wearing twin frowns. All was quiet for a very long time, until Hermione broke the silence.

 

“It does sound odd, actually,” Hermione said slowly. “What does he mean about you giving him the idea?”

 

“That’s what Snape wanted to know,” Harry said, hugging himself with his arms. “I just can’t make sense of it…”

 

There was a strange light dawning in Ron’s eyes. “What if he just ran away?”

 

Harry stared at him. “But Severus didn’t seem to think so… he’d surely have guessed at it, if that was a possibility.”

 

“Snape might be wrong. Look,” Ron said, pointing to the letter. “Malfoy says you gave him the idea - didn’t you run away from Snape back in August? Maybe he’s referencing that?”

 

Harry felt several puzzle pieces click into place. He reread the letter, heart pounding against his ribcage.

 

I just need to get away from Hogwarts for a while… thanks for giving me the idea -

 

Harry jumped to his feet, startling Ron and Hermione, and rushed into Draco’s bedroom. Harry had thought that it had been in a state of disrepair because Draco was messy, but that wasn’t it! His wardrobe doors were hanging open haphazardly, and things were strewn across the carpet, like he’d been through his belongings in a hurry.

 

Draco wasn’t dead. He’d run away.

 

“Harry, what’s wrong?” Hermione asked, running down the hallway after him.

 

“Ron,” Harry said slowly, “you’re a genius.”

 

He coughed awkwardly. “Not really. You and Snape might just be a bit blinded, by, er - your feelings, or whatever.”

 

Harry leaned heavily against the wall. Compared to the misery of earlier, he felt borderline euphoric. Draco wasn’t dead! Running away they could fix - you could find someone who had disappeared…

 

But that happiness was quickly replaced by a new kind of worry. With the aid of magic, Draco could be anywhere right now. Harry remembered Snape’s long-ago lecture from the night he’d run away, ranting about how Harry could have been mugged or otherwise hurt, hours away from anyone who knew who he was and how to help him. 

 

And how had Draco gotten out of the school, anyway? Snape now kept his Floo powder locked in a drawer. Especially with a perimeter of Dementors guarding Hogwarts, there was no way for Draco to just slip out of the gates… But what if he’d tried, and a Dementor had attacked him? Draco’s reaction to them wasn’t as bad as Harry’s, but they still had a pretty bad impact! 

 

All the tension had built back up in Harry’s body, now. He nearly felt sick with dread.

 

“Come on, Harry,” Hermione said, taking him by the arm. “Let’s go sit back down.”

 

Harry nodded numbly, and allowed himself to be led into the living room. He sat down, and was just debating whether he should interrupt Snape’s search with a realisation that the man may have very well had already when the fireplace burst into life. Harry nearly jumped out of his skin when he saw an entire head lying in the grate. How was that even possible?

 

But Harry’s questions were quickly dismissed to the back of his mind when he realised that the head in question belonged to Andromeda Tonks.

 

“Mrs Tonks!” Harry said urgently, throwing himself from the sofa and to his knees at the grate. “It’s Draco, he -”

 

“Draco’s fine,” she interrupted. “He’s with me right now.”

 

Harry’s shoulders melted with relief.

 

“Is Severus with you?” Andromeda asked. “I’m assuming he’s rather worried.”

 

“He’s not here, but I can get him,” Harry said, pressing at the oval on the tracker. 

 

“In case he doesn’t know it, my Floo address is Ambleside cottage,” she informed him. “He can come through whenever he’s ready - I think Draco needs a word with his guardian about some of the things he’s told me about…”

 

“Right.” Harry stared at her, a strange emotion building in his chest. “Thank you so much, Mrs Tonks.”

 

“It’s really no trouble, dear,” Andromeda said with a small smile. “I’ll be waiting for you on the other side.”

 

Her head vanished from the grate, and Harry pressed a hand to his mouth, suppressing a laugh, of all things. He could barely believe it - all this worry, and Draco had just gone off to his aunt’s house! He was alright - he was alive, and he was safe. Harry was so relieved.

 

Now all he had to do was wait for Snape to come back down so Harry could go over to Andromeda’s and murder his brother for worrying them all so badly. 

 

To be continued...
Favourite Cousin by aspionage

Andromeda’s head had only just disappeared from the grate when Snape burst into the living room. 

 

“Well?” he demanded.

 

“He’s okay,” Harry said breathlessly. “Mrs Tonks’ head just came through the fireplace, and she said he’s with her right now. She told me that we can come over.”

 

A great deal of tension seemed to melt out of Snape’s body at Harry’s words. He shut his eyes and pressed a hand to his temples, heaving a deep sigh. “Thank heavens…”

 

After a moment, Snape seemed to remember that Ron and Hermione were in the room. He snapped straight, Occluded any hint of emotion from his features, then pointed a finger at the front door. “Thank you both for staying with Harry, but we must now deal with family matters. Goodbye.”

 

“I’m glad he’s alright, professor,” Hermione said, getting to her feet and heading to the door. Ron smiled and nodded at Harry before following her out.

 

As soon as the portrait shut behind them, Harry rounded on Snape. “I have to come with you to Mrs Tonks’ house, I want to see him -”

 

“There was never any question of you accompanying me,” Snape interrupted, holding up a hand for silence. “As I said, this is a family matter, and you are a member of this family.”

 

“Oh, er - right.” Harry shifted uncomfortably. “Her address is Ambleside cottage, by the way.”

 

“Thank you. I’ll be in with the floo powder in a moment.”

 

Snape retrieved the small pot from the desk drawer, then placed it on the mantelpiece. He turned his head over his shoulder to look at Harry. “I’ll go first - I trust you won’t have any difficulty getting through?”

 

“Don’t think so.”

 

“Alright.” Snape threw a small quantity of powder into the flames, turning them green. “Ambleside cottage.”

 

After pausing for several moments, Harry called out the address himself. It was a wonder he didn’t sick up during the journey; the stress of the morning had left him feeling horribly nauseous, a sensation that a Floo journey did nothing to help. Harry barely managed to keep his footing when he was spat out into a sunny living room, brimming with potted plants.

 

Harry grabbed onto the mantelpiece for balance, nearly knocking over a delicate-looking china figurine, and scanned the room for signs of Draco. He spotted Andromeda, first, lingering in the doorway. She was watching someone, and Harry followed her gaze and saw Snape standing in one corner. He couldn’t find Draco, but Harry quickly realised that was because Snape was holding Draco so closely that he was almost fully obscured by the folds of Snape’s black robes, save for the brightness of his blonde hair. Harry let out a shuddering exhalation of air. Until he’d been able to see Draco for himself, he’d not quite been able to believe Draco was alright.

 

Snape was similarly relieved. Harry could tell, because he was furiously ranting at the top of Draco’s head.

 

“You foolish, foolish child!” he seethed. “What the devil were you thinking, doing something like this? Merlin’s beard, in the last month alone you must have taken years off my life!”

 

Draco made a muffled, sniffling sort of noise, and Snape sighed exasperatedly. “There’s no need for that. Come on - Harry’s here to see you, too. He’s just come through.”

 

He released Draco and stepped back so Harry could get a full look at his brother. Harry scanned him over closely - for what, he wasn’t certain - but there were no missing limbs, or gaping wounds, or any other abnormalities excluding a large amount of dirt and ash on Draco’s hands and clothes.

 

Draco cleared his throat awkwardly and stared at Harry, face red. “Erm… hi. Sorry about that.”

 

Harry stared right back for several more seconds, mouth hanging open. Harry knew he looked like an idiot, but couldn’t bring himself to care. 

 

He took a step forward, unsure of what he was planning on doing, so relieved that Draco was okay… relieved, and outraged. What the hell had he been playing at?

 

Blood boiling, Harry stomped forwards and shoved Draco as hard as he possibly could in the centre of his chest, sending him stumbling backwards into Snape and nearly knocking the both of them over.

 

“Hey!” Draco said indignantly, rubbing his chest where Harry had struck him.

 

“You idiot!” Harry screeched. “Are you serious? ‘Sorry about that’?! I thought you were dead, you inconsiderate, pig-headed -”

 

“Bloody hell, Harry, why would I be dead?” Draco demanded. “What are you on about?!” 

 

“Oh, I don’t know, how about that fucking note!”

 

“Harry!” Snape said, visibly scandalised. “Mind your language!” 

 

“What the hell was that supposed to be?!” Harry bellowed. “It didn’t make a single lick of bloody sense! We all thought you’d offed yourself or something!”

 

“I wouldn’t do something like that!” Draco said indignantly, placing his hands on his hips. “Don’t be so stupid, Harry! You obviously read it wrong -”

 

Read it wrong?” Harry repeated incredulously. “I did not read it wrong, you stupid, stupid -” 

 

He hurled himself forwards at Draco again, but Snape grabbed Harry’s wrists before he could reach Draco and held him back by the chest, still shouting obscenities.

 

“Enough!” Snape shouted. “You are in someone else’s home right now, Harry, and you’re being incredibly rude! Sort yourself out this instant!”

 

Harry caught sight of Andromeda, watching them from a doorway with a look of alarm clear on her face, and fell silent. Snape kept one arm wrapped around Harry’s chest, and reached another into the pocket of his robes for a Calming Draught, which he uncorked and forced to Harry’s lips.

 

“I understand your emotions are running high, but this is never acceptable behaviour!” he said angrily. “You know better than this! Go sit in the other room and calm down while I talk to Draco.”

 

After making sure Harry had consumed every last drop of the potion, Snape released him with one last withering glare. 

 

“Come with me into the kitchen, Harry,” Andromeda said, beckoning him with one finger. “I’ll pop the kettle on.”

 

Harry mulishly thought that he’d had more than enough of people feeding him tea to solve his problems for one day, but followed her into the kitchen nonetheless. Andromeda shut the door behind him, muffling the sound of Snape and Draco’s voices. 

 

“Have a seat, my love,” Andromeda said, patting a series of cushions arranged on the ledge of a large bay window. Harry walked over and sank into the squishy pillows, watching as Andromeda busied herself in the kitchen.

 

“I think it’s best for us to give them a minute to talk things over, yes?” she said, tapping the kettle with her wand. “Draco made it sound like he and Severus have been having a bit of a rough patch.”

 

“Yeah,” Harry shrugged. “Things have been difficult for the two of them.”

 

He stared at the granite tiling, unable to look at Andromeda. The Calming Draught had stifled the majority of his anger, so now all he felt was a crawling sensation of embarrassment over his earlier behaviour. What must she think of Harry, after that explosive display? 

 

“Sorry about all that shouting, Mrs Tonks,” he mumbled, wishing the ground would open up and swallow him. “It was really rude of me.”

 

“Please, dear, call me Andromeda,” she said breezily, filling two teacups. “And it’s really no bother. I know how things can be with siblings - my sisters drove me absolutely mad as a girl! We had rows to put what happened there to shame, don’t you worry…”

 

She walked over, handed one teacup to Harry, then settled across from him in the bay window with her legs folded beneath her. Harry glanced over her shoulder to the door, where he could still barely make out muffled conversation.

 

“What did Draco say to you before you called us?” Harry asked.

 

“Nothing much,” Andromeda said. “He was just telling me about all the trouble he’s been having with the Slytherins, and he mentioned a bit of tension with Severus when I said I needed to call his guardian.”

 

Harry nodded and sipped his tea, even though it was scalding, just for something to do.

 

“He’s been gone for hours,” Harry said eventually. “Has Draco been with you for a while?”

 

“Not really,” Andromeda said with a shake of her head. “About twenty minutes or so, I’d say. Judging by the state of him, he was walking around somewhere before he arrived, but the Knight Bus dropped him off so I can’t be certain.”

 

“Right.”

 

Harry set the teacup down on a small side table, but paused as he caught sight of the newspaper waiting there. The Daily Prophet had grown tired of Lucius Malfoy on their front pages at last, so they’d gone back to displaying Sirius Black on every inch of newsprint they had available. According to today’s headline, there had been a false sighting of him in Hartlepool, and the DMLE were debating charges for the wizard responsible.

 

Andromeda followed Harry’s gaze and let out a little sigh. “Sirius is one of my more unfortunate relatives. I really am quite sorry for all the strain he’s causing you. My daughter, Dora, told me that he’s been targeting you at Hogwarts.”

 

Harry frowned. “Don’t apologise. It’s not your fault he’s after me.”

 

“Even so.” Andromeda sighed again and stared at Black’s face, clearly lost in thought.

 

“You’re his cousin, aren’t you?” he said.

 

“Unfortunately.”

 

“Er - did you know him well, then?”

 

“Very,” Andromeda said heavily. “Sirius was my favourite cousin. He was the only other person in my family who didn’t blindly hate Muggles and Muggleborns, so we got on quite well.”

 

Harry’s brow furrowed. “But - everyone says he’s Voldemort’s - sorry, I mean You-Know-Who’s right-hand man. What do you mean, he liked Muggles?”

 

Andromeda, who had flinched rather violently at Harry’s use of Voldemort’s name, took a moment to collect herself before continuing. “I must admit, I never understood what happened to him. Sirius was one of the proudest blood traitors I knew. He was the only person from our family to ever sort Gryffindor - a disgrace that nearly killed my mad, old aunt - and he ran away from my Aunt Walburga and Uncle Orion at sixteen because he couldn’t stand their Dark sympathies anymore.

 

“I ran away from my family for similar reasons - although that was to marry my husband, Ted. A Muggleborn, naturally.” Harry, who had heard bits of this story from Draco, nodded as Andromeda continued on. “That bonded Sirius and I. We got on quite well as adults, far away from the strains of our parents… I saw him frequently, up until the last few months of the war when everyone was either in hiding or fighting. If there were signs he had turned, I certainly missed them.”

 

There was a regretful expression on Andromeda’s face. She was tapping at the rim of her teacup frenetically. “I still just can’t make sense of it. I still remember him driving me mad when he’d babysit Dora as a girl and teach her all sorts of anti-Death Eater obscenities. Of all my relatives, I’d never have expected him to switch sides… which I suppose was the point.”

 

Andromeda stared into the distance, clearly lost in thought. There was a tightness around her mouth, clearly indicating sadness, so Harry thought it was probably best for him to stop prying.

 

“I’m going to go and see if the others want anything,” Andromeda said abruptly. She rose to her feet, opened the kitchen door, and held a brief, muttered conversation with Snape that Harry could have made out if he tried, but didn’t have the energy to properly divine. After all, he was still very confused about the things he’d just learnt about Black. 

 

Why would Voldemort’s right-hand man be a blood traitor Gryffindor? Why would he voluntarily babysit for his cousin and her Muggleborn husband? Why would Andromeda, his closest family, have missed the signs of his Death Eater sympathies?

 

Perhaps Black was just that clever and conniving… but something about it all felt wrong to Harry, like an itch he couldn’t scratch.

 

After several moments, Andromeda turned around to face him. “Harry, Severus wants a word with you.”

 

“Alright…” Harry slowly got to his feet and walked over to the door, rather reluctant to enter the living room. He still felt mortified over how he’d acted earlier.

 

Harry saw Draco and Snape were sitting shoulder to shoulder on the sofa. Draco was staring very hard at the floor, but Snape looked directly at Harry as he entered the room and arched an eyebrow. “Better?”

 

Harry glanced away, face on fire. “Sorry…”

 

Snape’s face told Harry they’d be discussing that incident more later, but all he said was, “Sit down.”

 

Harry nodded, and settled down on Snape’s right. He leaned forward slightly to look at Draco, who still seemed to be finding Andromeda’s shaggy green rug fascinating.

 

“So?” Harry said brusquely. “What happened, then? You ran away?”

 

“No,” Draco said, with a small roll of his eyes. “Why does everyone seem to think that? It’s not like I have anywhere I could go, other than the Muggle world, which obviously wasn’t going to happen. I just needed a bit of time away. I decided to take… a spontaneous sabbatical from school, if you like.”

 

For diplomacy’s sake , Harry decided not to point out how stupid of a description that was. “Where’d you go, then?”

 

“Well… I wasn’t quite thinking things through when I left,” Draco admitted. “I just sort of needed to get out…”

 

“Perhaps it would be better to explain things from the beginning,” Snape prompted.

 

“Right.” Draco cleared his throat. “Well… you know how things have been with the other Slytherins in my year. On my way to Charms this morning, they… well, they were being their usual selves, and I just couldn’t cope anymore. So, I left.”

 

“How?” Harry asked. “We can’t access the floo powder, and the school’s surrounded by Dementors!”

 

“Well, there’s actually this tunnel, you see,” Draco said, “it leads out of the castle and into Hogsmeade. Father told me about it before I started school. I used that.”

 

“A tunnel which is now being blocked up,” Snape said, directing a hard look at Harry. He did his best to keep his face blank. Snape still didn’t know that Harry had used that very tunnel when he’d snuck out to Hogsmeade, and Harry wasn’t in the mood to stir up that drama again.

 

“Well, once I was out of there, I caught the Knight Bus, and went home,” Draco said quietly. “I’ve not been back to Malfoy Manor since the fire. I knew there wasn’t anything left but ashes, but I still wanted to have a look…” Draco’s throat bobbed, and he folded his hands in his lap. “I stayed there for a few hours, just thinking about everything. After that, I took the Knight Bus here, and talked to Aunt Andromeda until you two showed up.”

 

“But you’re okay?” Harry asked. 

 

Draco simply shrugged in response. 

 

“I have decided it may be best for Draco to have some time away from Hogwarts while I deal with the Slytherins,” Snape said, a certain hardness growing around his jawline. “The three of us will stay at Spinner’s End for the rest of this week. Harry, you’ll continue to attend lessons, and I will Floo with you to and from Hogwarts in the mornings and evenings. Draco, you’ll spend the days with your aunt until I return from Hogwarts, since I think it would be best to keep you out of school until this situation is resolved. I don’t want you being driven to something like this again - the Slytherins will be far more inclined to behave by the time you’re back.”

 

“As if,” Draco muttered, crossing his arms.

 

“It will be resolved,” Snape said pointedly. Harry got the impression that they’d exchanged quite a few words over this issue while he was out of the room. “In future, I want you to come to me sooner.”

 

“Sure,” Draco said sardonically.

 

“I mean it,” Snape said sternly. “Running away is not the answer. If I knew you were this miserable, Draco, I’d have done whatever I could to fix it in a heartbeat. You don’t have to deal with everything on your own.”

 

Draco hunched his shoulders, and returned to staring at the shag rug.

 

“The same goes for you, Harry,” Snape added. “I do prefer when I find these things out before they reach a crisis point like this.”

 

“Right. Sorry.” He coughed awkwardly.

 

“Now, let's not impose upon Andromeda’s hospitality any longer,” Snape said, rising to his feet. “We need to pack a few things for the weekend.”

 


 

With the aid of magic, Harry, Draco and Snape made quick work of gathering what they needed for the weekend before Flooing to Spinner’s End. Harry stumbled out of the fireplace and into the extraordinarily dusty living room, and felt an odd tingle rush down his spine. It had been so many months since they’d all been here, and it was strange to be back.

 

Snape swiped a finger across a dusty bookshelf, and wrinkled his nose. With a flick of his wand, a feather duster flew through the door and into the living room. Instead of beginning to clean the shelves, it smacked directly into the window and fell to the ground, twitching feebly. After letting loose a muttered oath, Snape repeated the spell verbally, with a bit more success. 

 

“The house normally needs a bit of cleanup after so long away,” he explained. “If either of you run into any pests, do tell me. The upstairs bathroom has an unfortunate proclivity for Doxy infestations.”

 

Draco groaned. “Brilliant…”

 

Harry, who didn’t know what a Doxy was, did his best to look like he understood. 

 

“You two go and unpack,” Snape ordered, briskly striding from the room. Draco muttered something about going upstairs, then also departed. Harry, who thought it might be best to give the glum-looking Draco some time alone in their room to settle in, took himself into the kitchen. Harry wrinkled his nose at the built-up grime. If his aunt could have seen this, she’d have had an aneurysm…

 

After a moment, he gathered the cleaning supplies. Harry knew that Snape was probably quite stressed, so it would probably be helpful for Harry to clean up a bit, right? After all, Snape struggled with household Charms - the feather duster issues had reminded Harry of that. Besides, he still felt quite antsy from the stress of the day, and cleaning would be a way to work some of that energy off. He picked up a mop and got to it.

 

Half of the floor was clean before a voice interrupted Harry’s cleaning spree. “You do realise we have magic for this?”

 

Harry turned around and saw Snape leaning in the doorway, wand in hand. He shrugged in response. “You said things needed to be cleaned, so…”

 

“Not by you.” Snape was frowning, now. “You’ve had a long day. Go and relax.”

 

“I just needed to do something with my hands,” Harry muttered, leaning the mop against the wall. 

 

Snape gave him a look that was horribly close to pity. “If you need to talk about anything that happened today -”

 

“I’m fine,” Harry said quickly. “I’m obviously fine. Draco’s the one with the problems, not me.”

 

“You are obviously not fine, if that little display in Andromeda’s house is any indication of your mental state,” Snape pointed out.

 

Harry felt his cheeks heat up. “I’m really sorry about that. I’ve already apologised to Andromeda, and I didn’t mean to embarrass you -”

 

“Harry, stop,” Snape interrupted. “You’re not in trouble.”

 

His brow furrowed. “I’m not?”

 

“I certainly don’t want you making a habit of shoving people when your emotions get the better of you, but today’s events can count as extenuating circumstances,” Snape said. “But I am still rather concerned about you. Earlier, you were very upset -”

 

“I’m not delicate!” Harry snapped, defensiveness flaring up in him. “Yeah, I was worried about Draco, but I’m fine! I can handle things. Everything’s okay here.”

 

“If you weren’t alright, that would also be understandable,” Snape said softly.

 

“Yeah, well I am, so it doesn’t matter,” Harry muttered, snatching up the mop again, shoving it across the floor with more force than strictly necessary. He didn’t want to remember earlier. He couldn’t think about the gut-churning sensation of dread he’d incurred when that note had fluttered out of the front of his textbook, and he’d thought Draco -

 

No. Harry slammed a wall down in front of that train of thought. Draco wasn’t dead, and there was no point in ruminating over how horrible it had been when Harry had believed he was. If he had to clean until every muscle in his body screamed in protest to forget it, then so be it.

 

Snape huffed loudly. “Is this really the way you insist on spending this excess energy?”

 

“I’m just trying to help. I don’t get why you have such a problem with it,” Harry said, shoving the mop head into the bucket. “The house needs cleaning, right? I know how to clean. Issue solved.”

 

“Let me teach you some cleaning spells, then,” Snape offered. “You ought to learn them at some point, anyway, since they aren’t typically covered in the Charms curriculum.” A rueful expression crossed his face. “Do be warned, however, that they aren’t my forté.”

 

“But what about the Trace?”

 

“The Trace doesn’t work on wizarding households,” Snape explained. “It’s rather rudimentary - it can only detect magic around an underage wizard, so in a household with a magical adult frequently using spells, it doesn’t work.”

 

“That’s so unfair!” Harry said indignantly. “So Purebloods can use magic all summer long, but Muggleborns get stuck doing nothing?”

 

“The vast majority of Pureblood families still do take their childrens’ wands, as a matter of fact,” Snape informed him. “Most parents do not want their children running around and performing magic unsupervised.”

 

“Is that why you banned me and Draco from using magic over the summer, then?”

 

“That was more due to the fact that I thought you’d both kill each other if you had regular access to your wands,” Snape said. 

 

“Fair,” Harry conceded. He didn't want to even imagine what he and Draco would've done in August with full access to magic.

 

“Now, get your wand and come here - I’ll show you the Mopping Charm.”

 

Harry proceeded to spend the next hour having a surprisingly good time learning Cleaning Charms. While some of the more advanced ones like the Scrubbing Spell remained outside of his ability, Harry managed to get the floor mopped, the windows cleaned and some more surfaces dusted under the tutoring of Snape. He wished he’d had access to these sorts of spells earlier; they would have made quick work the piles of chores that Aunt Petunia used to give Harry. 

 

Draco was remarkably absent for this entire period; he only descended to the kitchen when Snape summoned him for dinner. Even then, he remained quiet and withdrawn, no matter how much Snape and Harry tried to convince him to join the conversation. Draco fled from the table the minute dinner concluded, but was closely trailed by Snape. Harry had the feeling they were going to be having one of their chats, and decided to leave them to it while he practised more of the Cleaning Charms. 

 

He’d just succeeded at washing the dishes with magic when Snape and Draco descended once again, the latter looking rather pleased with himself.

 

“Severus is playing Monopoly with us,” Draco announced.

 

“Really?” Harry arched an eyebrow at Snape, who was looking misleadingly placid. Monopoly with Snape involved was only saved for times of great indulgence on Snape’s part - he had to be feeling really bad for Draco, then…

 

Not bad enough to let Draco win, of course, but at least a little sympathetic. 

 

During the game, Snape seemed very reluctant to bring up Hogwarts matters. He spent the evening talking about entirely unimportant things, and trying to coax an uncharacteristically quiet Draco into the conversation. Harry was desperate to question Draco further about the events of the day, but he didn't have an opportunity to, with Snape keeping things purposely light. Harry couldn’t help but feel a little bit out of the loop, but didn’t dare to bring up the more serious matters bubbling beneath. The surface level conversation during the Monopoly game was a clear indication from Snape that Harry should avoid asking about the Slytherin bullying situation. 

 

He didn’t have a chance to truly talk to Draco at all, not until they were both sent to bed several hours later. Since they needed to share a room again, Harry knew this was a good opportunity to talk to Draco without Snape present to intervene.

 

If Draco was willing to speak at all, of course. That didn’t seem likely. When they got inside, Draco instantly turned off the lights, burrowed under the covers, and faced the wall. Still, Harry wasn't going to be deterred that easily.

 

“I’m sorry I shoved you earlier,” he said, perching on the side of the bed. “I wasn't dealing with all the stress very well…”

 

“Clearly," Draco muttered. After a moment, he quietly sighed and rolled over to face Harry. “I didn’t mean to worry you so badly. I didn’t think about how the two of you would react… I didn’t think about much at all, really.”

 

Harry shrugged. “You were having a hard time.” 

 

Draco didn't respond, and returned to dully staring at the ceiling. Harry took in the despondent look on his face and felt the coils of anxiety tighten in his stomach. 

 

“Are you depressed?” he asked abruptly.

 

Draco shot upright, expression indignant. “Where did that come from?!”

 

“Well… with the way the note you left me sounded…” Harry swallowed as the emotions of earlier in the day washed over him once more.

 

“Harry, I don't know what you think happened, but I was never going to do anything to myself,” Draco said softly. “I wrote that letter right as I was going out the door, and I wasn’t thinking clearly. It probably sounds a lot worse than I meant it to.”

 

“But you're not happy,” Harry said, fidgeting with his hands. “I can tell.”

 

Draco looked at him for a very long time before responding. “No, I’m not, but… well, it's not to that point. It’s not something I’ve ever considered, Harry. If it ever did get that bad for me, I'd say something to you. I promise.”

 

“Okay,” Harry mumbled, hugging himself with his arms. “Hopefully Severus can sort out the Slytherins, so things can get easier for you.”

 

Draco scoffed. “Fat chance.”

 

“He really means business, though,” Harry pointed out. “Severus was super angry earlier. If I know anything about him, Severus is about to go absolutely nuclear. He’ll do whatever it takes to stop them being so horrible to you.”

 

“It doesn’t matter what steps he takes,” Draco said gloomily. “They’re Slytherins. They’ll think of something to get around Severus…”

 

Harry sighed and said nothing. He didn’t get the impression that he’d be able to convince Draco of anything right now, so there wasn’t much point in arguing. 

 

“No matter what happens, Severus and I are here for you,” Harry said quietly. “You’re not alone. I promise.”

 

“I know.” Draco reached out and squeezed his hand. “Thank you.”

 

They fell into a companionable silence, until Harry noticed Draco’s breathing gradually lengthen into even inhales and exhales. Harry, however, couldn’t fall asleep. His mind was racing, and his chest ached with sadness.

 

He just wanted Draco to be okay again.

 

But what could Harry do? He couldn’t magically release the Malfoys from prison, or make the other Slytherins start treating Draco decently again. All Harry could do was be there for him, but it just didn’t feel like enough. No matter what he did, Draco was still sad and lonely. It felt hopeless.

 

Annoyingly restless, Harry slid out of bed and padded downstairs in search of a glass of water. He paused at the sink, and noticed that the sliding door that led to the back garden was slightly open, letting a cold breeze into the house. He retrieved his glass from the cupboard and went to shut the door, but quickly realised that Snape was out in the garden. He was leaning against the wall of the house, a cigarette between his fingers, face strangely crumpled. His eyes were closed. 

 

Harry froze in place for a second, unsure of what to do. Snape looked upset. Should Harry go outside and talk to him? That would be the kind thing to do… but perhaps not the thing Snape would want. He was always trying to hide his emotions from Harry and Draco, and wouldn’t appreciate being barged in on during such an obviously vulnerable moment. Should Harry slip away, unnoticed, and leave Snape to it? 

 

Before he had a chance to make his mind up, Snape opened his eyes. He noticed Harry standing on the other side of the door and started. The look of sadness on his face was quickly Occluded away, but Harry couldn’t push it out of his mind. He pushed the door open and stepped out to face Snape.

 

“Shouldn’t you be in bed?” Snape said pointedly.

 

Harry didn’t respond to that question. His eyes kept darting between Snape’s face to the cigarette in his hand, and before he could stop himself, Harry blurted, “Since when do you smoke?”

 

Snape looked down and winced, then waved his hand. The cigarette vanished from his fingers. “It’s an old habit I turn to in times of stress - a nasty habit. Follow in my footsteps, and I will have you scrubbing cauldrons until you graduate.”

 

“Right,” Harry said slowly. There was a slightly awkward pause as Harry waited for Snape to explain himself further, but the man remained silent, staring into the darkness. The whites of his eyes glowed in the moonlight.

 

“So you’re stressed then, are you?” he asked tentatively.

 

Snape watched him for a long moment, then sighed. “It’s not your concern. You shouldn’t be burdened by my troubles -”

 

“Come on, Severus, I’m not five. I can handle things.” Harry rolled his eyes. “It’s Draco, isn’t it? That’s what’s stressing you out.”

 

“Actually, I am more burdened by the unfortunate traits I seem to have which compel my wards to run away from me,” Snape said with a shake of his head. 

 

Harry stared at him, dismayed. “Draco didn’t run away because of you! It was because of the Slytherins bullying him!”

 

Snape arched an eyebrow. “He did not feel comfortable coming to me and explaining what was going on because I was being too harsh on him over the Ministry affair. I find that to be rather damning.”

 

“Well… okay, maybe you were being kind of harsh at the time, but you could have been Professor Sprout levels of nice and fluffy, and I still think he’d have kept it all a secret,” Harry pointed out. “Draco was super embarrassed about it all, and he wanted to deal with it alone. And besides, Severus, it’s not like he meant to leave permanently! Draco kept saying he always meant to come back, remember?”

 

“Even so.” Snape shook his head, expression pained. “I regret my role in the events that unfolded.”

 

“You’re being too hard on yourself,” Harry said. “You can’t blame yourself for everything that goes wrong with me and Draco, Severus! We, er - well, we do have a lot of problems, and pretty much all of them started before you became our guardian. I think you do a good job, considering.”

 

After a moment of hesitation, he reached out and sort of awkwardly patted Snape on the arm. Part of Harry cringed, but he knew that a bit of physical contact always made him feel better.

 

And anyway, it seemed to have had the effect he wanted. Some of the hurt on Snape’s face had faded, to be replaced by something softer. “Well, thank you, Harry. I do appreciate the sentiment. Now, perhaps it’s time for you to go back to bed?”

 

“Alright.” Harry went to the sliding door, but paused before he crossed over the threshold. “I really do like having you as a guardian, you know. I know that I wouldn’t run away again, even if I was angry with you.” He glanced down to the tracker and coughed. “Well, not that I could…”

 

“It would be rather unwise,” Snape drawled, looking mildly amused. “But I understand the spirit of what you’re trying to say. Goodnight, Harry. Thank you.”

 

“Night.” 

 

Harry retreated into the kitchen, leaving Snape to his thoughts, but ended up doing some reflection of his own. Between Snape's skill with Occlumency and his general reluctance to show emotion, Harry often found himself forgetting that he and Draco could hurt Snape’s feelings with things that they did or said, as ridiculous as that sounded. Snape didn’t often allow the mask of perfect control to slip so that the vulnerability Harry had just witnessed could shine through. 

 

Harry immediately resolved to be as nice as possible to Snape for the foreseeable future. With everything he was dealing with, Snape certainly needed a break from Harry's constant drama…

 

Lost in thought, Harry finally got his water at the sink, but paused as he noticed an uncomfortably familiar tome on the kitchen table. A Caregiver’s Guide to Adolescent Trauma. Harry hadn’t seen that book in several months… Snape was probably reading it because of everything that had happened with Draco.

 

Harry didn’t like that book on principle for reasons he couldn’t quite articulate, but maybe it really could be useful? He had outright refused to read it when Snape had suggested it back in August, but perhaps Harry could have a quick flick through to the pages Snape kept dog-eared to work out some things about Draco. The way he was acting had been really worrying Harry, and if that book held the answers to why Draco was behaving this way, then Harry should just bite the bullet and read it.

 

After a moment of hesitation, Harry grabbed the book and took it upstairs with him. He’d just glance over a couple of the chapters. It never hurt to learn something, after all…

To be continued...
The Grim by aspionage

“And then the Doxy fell into my cauldron, and BOOM!” Draco gesticulated dramatically. “Hiccoughing Solution all over the walls, as well as Severus and I. We sounded like bullfrogs! It was hilarious, Harry -”

 

“I can’t understand what’s so amusing about an explosion that could have left us severely injured,” Snape said tersely. “If this is so funny to you, would you care to be the one spending the day sorting out the remainder of the laboratory’s Doxy infestation?”

 

Draco rolled his eyes. “Come on, Severus, at least try to see the funny side…”

 

Harry stirred his cereal into mush, allowing the conversation to wash over him in waves. He didn’t have it in him to talk to the others this morning, too busy turning over other, more important matters in his mind.

 

He never should have read that bloody book.

 

Emotional abuse can take the form of constant beratement of the child, threats and shouting, scapegoating…

 

Physical neglect, like a lack of food, clothing or shelter, or emotional neglect, taking the form of consistently ignoring, neglecting, or otherwise overlooking the child…

 

Harry didn’t understand what had happened. He’d been reading A Caregiver’s Guide to Adolescent Trauma by wandlight over the course of the last few nights, hiding under the covers so he wouldn’t wake Draco. All Harry had been trying to do was understand what was causing his brother’s emotional instability. At first, Harry had stuck carefully to the dog-eared chapters which obviously just pertained to Draco, but last night he’d grown curious. Now that Harry had the book in front of him, he’d wanted to take a quick glance through the chapters Snape had marked which were clearly about Harry…

 

And that onceover had turned into a full night of reading. It was like a car crash - Harry had wanted to look away, but his eyes were glued to the disaster unfolding in front of him.

 

The first passage had been about the negative impacts of threats and shouting on children. Uncle Vernon had always loved to get in Harry’s face, to intimidate him, to threaten him with violence… and that was apparently emotional abuse. Not having enough food, proper clothes, or a bedroom constituted physical neglect. Being constantly ignored and having to pretend like he didn’t exist was emotional neglect…

 

It was all there, written in black and white, under the title ‘Adolescent Trauma’.

 

Harry didn’t know how to deal with this new information. He’d known for a long time that the Dursleys were horrible people, but he’d never go so far as to call them abusive! Whenever Snape had described them with that awful word, Harry would do everything possible to shut him up because it couldn’t possibly be true. Calling it abuse made it something more than it was. Harry just had very unfortunate relatives, right?

 

Wrong. Apparently, Harry was abused. 

 

“Harry?”

 

He started slightly, and realised that Draco and Snape were both staring at him with no small amount of concern apparent on their features. Harry must have been too lost in his thoughts to notice them addressing him.

 

“Is everything alright?” Snape asked.

 

“Yeah,” he muttered, quickly shoving a spoonful of cornflakes into his mouth to avoid facing any further questions. Harry’s stomach was twisted into knots, but he knew if he didn’t eat something, Snape would start asking even more questions. Harry didn’t want that - the last thing he wanted was to talk about any of this. 

 

Anyway, Snape had enough on his plate with Draco right now. Harry had read enough in that book about ‘aftereffects of bullying’ and ‘parental incarceration’ to know that Draco needed Snape’s attention a lot more than Harry did. Snape had to be horribly stressed because of everything that had happened lately, so Harry had resolved to be as easy-going and problem-free as possible to try and take some of the pressure off. 

 

Why was he being so ridiculous about this? It was so stupid! All he’d done was read a book that confirmed everything that Harry knew already - the Dursleys were nasty, horrid people.

 

He just hadn’t quite understood exactly how horrible they’d been to Harry until that moment, was all…

 

Harry finally finished eating enough of his breakfast to avoid arousing suspicion from Snape, then fled into the back garden. All of Harry’s hard work over the summer had been undone by months of neglect, so the lawn was overrun by weeds and filled with stubborn patches of mucky, half-melted snow that refused to thaw. Harry shivered as he went into the shed, wishing they could go back to Hogwarts already. At least at school, he had ample opportunity to slip away and be alone. Spinner’s End was far too cramped for privacy. 

 

Harry snatched up the football from inside of the dusty shed and began to kick it against the fence as hard as he possibly could, blood boiling. Harry despised his relatives. He hated Uncle Vernon, he hated Dudley, and he hated Aunt Petunia. None of it was fair! What had he ever done to them? What had Harry done wrong to deserve -

 

“Harry?”

 

He nearly jumped out of his skin at the sound of Snape’s voice. His guardian managed to get all the way from the kitchen to Harry’s side without him noticing a thing.

 

“Is everything alright?” Snape asked.

 

“Fine,” Harry muttered.

 

“You didn’t hear me calling you.”

 

Harry shrugged. “Windy day.”

 

There was barely a breeze in the air. Snape raised his eyebrows, and Harry turned away from him and kicked the football into the fence again.

 

Before it could roll back to him, Snape stopped the ball with his foot. “I’d rather not play this game. Clearly something is wrong with you -”

 

“I said I’m fine!” Harry snapped. “Why can’t you ever just leave anything?! You’re doing my head in!”

 

“Harry.” 

 

There was a dangerous edge to Snape’s voice, now. Harry winced. Him and his temper, always getting him into trouble! This situation was the last thing Harry wanted right now, especially when he was trying so hard to be easy and unproblematic for Snape.

 

Surprisingly, Snape didn’t start lecturing Harry immediately. He simply pointed into the kitchen and started walking. Harry gloomily trudged after him, and was surprised to find that any irritation had been Occluded from Snape’s features in the time it took them to get back to the house. Snape raised a hand, and Harry’s jacket flew into it. 

 

“Put this on,” he ordered, handing it over to Harry. “We’re going to the shops.”

 

“Sorry, what?” 

 

“We’re running low on food. I believe it’s a rather self-explanatory situation.” Snape donned his own coat, then started walking down the hallway. “Come along.”

 

“But Draco -”

 

“Is upstairs, catching up on schoolwork he missed,” Snape interrupted. “It will just be the two of us. Let’s go, I don’t have all day.”

 

Harry shuffled after him, feeling rather annoyed. Going out was the last thing he wanted to do right now, but he certainly wasn’t going to tell Snape as much. 

 

They were five minutes away from the house, and Harry’s anger had somewhat cooled when Snape finally spoke again. “Well?”

 

Harry kicked a pebble down the road and chose not to reply.

 

“Do you remember what we’ve said about pushing things down until they explode out at inconvenient times?” Snape reminded him. “Can we please skip that unpleasant step for once, and actually discuss whatever your issue is?”

 

Harry huffed loudly. Snape wasn’t going to stop asking, so he might as well make his life easier and get things over with. He scowled, and muttered, “I hate the Dursleys.”

 

Snape didn’t respond immediately, but Harry could feel his eyes boring into the side of his head. After a moment, Harry added, “I read your book.”

 

“Ah. I noticed it went missing.” Snape inclined his head. “You have thoughts on it, then?”

 

“It wasn’t meant to be for me,” Harry said miserably. “I wanted to figure out Draco, but then I saw all that other stuff, and… it’s too close to home. Like, I knew the Dursleys weren’t great people, but I still never wanted to think they were… all of that. Seeing it like that in the book, though? It just made me understand it properly. That they were abusive.”

 

The word burned like bile in his throat. “I don’t want to be all weird about it, since it’s not like I never have to see them again, but I can’t help it. I just feel so angry.” 

 

And hurt, a tiny voice in the back of Harry’s mind whispered. He’d never admit it aloud, but sometimes Harry wanted to scream at the top of his lungs from the upset of it all.

 

Snape stopped walking, and placed a hand on Harry’s shoulder. “It’s normal to be angry. Quite frankly, you ought to be.”

 

“They’re shit people,” he muttered.

 

“They are,” Snape agreed, refraining from scolding Harry for his language for once.

 

“I just want to forget about them, and I can’t.” Harry swallowed, his throat oddly tight. “I get so angry about everything, even now. I don’t understand it. I never have to go back, so everything that happened shouldn’t bother me still!”

 

“It will always bother you,” Snape said softly. “And yet, it will get easier. I promise.”

 

Harry nodded, eyes glued to the pavement. He believed Snape. He knew first hand what this was like, after all…

 

“You said to me once that the Dursleys can get in trouble for what they did,” Harry said slowly. “And I read more about it in the book. They can go to prison.”

 

It had been a shocking discovery, while Harry had been reading about the impacts of parental incarceration on children, to discover that people could go to prison for child abuse. The fact that what the Dursleys had done to him was actually illegal had truly shaken Harry.

 

Snape nodded. “Yes. They can be prosecuted, and with the aid of the memories I extracted, would almost certainly be found guilty.” 

 

He led Harry to a nearby bench, which Harry sank onto with relief. His legs felt like jelly, and he wasn’t certain how much longer they’d have continued to hold his weight.

 

Snape sat next to him, expression contemplative. “Is prosecution something you’d be interested in, then?”

 

“I… I don’t know,” he whispered. 

 

Part of Harry wanted the Dursleys to be in trouble, to suffer as much as he had through over a decade in their care, but the other part of him was screaming about how wrong it was to be upset with the Dursleys. He was ungrateful - they’d taken him in, even though they hadn’t wanted to, and Harry was spitting in their faces and telling on them when they’d been good enough to open their home to their orphaned nephew -

 

Just because they took you in without wanting you doesn’t mean they had to abuse you, a small voice whispered in the back of Harry’s mind. Look at Severus. Even back when he didn’t like you, Severus still treated you a billion times better than your relatives did. He fed you, and he gave you a place to sleep, and he didn’t hit you. Disliking you isn’t an excuse for Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia’s actions.

 

“You said I have a choice when I’m seventeen?” Harry said after a while. “But I have to wait until then, right?”

 

Snape nodded. “The legal proceedings would unfortunately cast a spotlight onto my guardianship of you. I don’t think it’s a good idea to plunge you into instability for the sake of a trial when their custody has already been terminated.”

 

“Neither do I,” Harry said. He hated the idea of the Ministry trying to take control of his life.

 

“Then you have time to consider the matter,” Snape said. “You do not have to worry about your aunt and uncle hurting anybody else in the meantime, I might add. We made a report to your cousin’s school, and -"

 

Harry scoffed, and rolled his eyes. “Come on, Dudley’s fine. They’d never hurt him.”

 

Snape fixed him with a long, hard look. “Wouldn’t they?”

 

“No. They love him,” Harry said bitterly. “Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia would never treat Dudley the way they treated me.”

 

“And how would your cousin know that?” Snape asked. His eyebrows rose. “Your aunt and uncle may not have mistreated Dudley in the same manner as you, but that certainly does not mean they parented him properly. Draco should already serve as an example to you of the damaging impacts of spoiling a child. Their overindulgence alone is having a dangerous effect on your cousin’s health, and that’s not even considering the faults in his character that they have nurtured.”

 

Harry simply shrugged in response. Snape wasn’t wrong there - Dudley had been spoiled terribly, and it had shaped him into a nasty bully. Even if Dudley wasn’t being beaten or berated, Harry supposed you could still go too far in the opposite direction.

 

“You may not have realised this but your cousin, like you, was emotionally abused,” Snape added. “Witnessing domestic violence can do a huge amount of damage to the psyche, even if one does not experience the brunt of the violence first hand.”

 

Harry was about to protest on principle, but a series of memories flashed through his mind and rendered him speechless. He recalled sitting in the back of the car with a sniffling Dudley, who had just been smacked upside the head by Uncle Vernon for not packing his bag quickly enough when they were fleeing from Harry’s Hogwarts letters. Even longer ago, Dudley had loudly and publicly jeered at Harry about his cupboard, and Uncle Vernon had grabbed Dudley, gotten in his face, and growled through gritted teeth to never, ever mention that in front of other people again. 

 

Dudley often took vicious pleasure in Harry getting in trouble, but oftener still, Dudley had been just as afraid as Harry was in that household. Harry was a bit busy being concerned with his own safety to truly register the glimmer of fear in his cousin’s eyes when Uncle Vernon would come home in a rage, or the way he would hug himself and hide in a corner while his bellowing, puce-faced father screeched at Harry. 

 

Uncle Vernon often threatened to beat the stuffing out of Harry, and that threat was terrifying enough without the actual beating, wasn’t it? Perhaps Snape was right. Dudley had probably seen enough in that house to do some damage, even if he hadn’t been left with the physical marks like Harry.

 

“I can’t believe you’ve got me feeling bad for my cousin,” Harry muttered.

 

“This is not to undermine the impact of his bullying of you,” Snape said. “I simply wish to provide an additional perspective.”

 

“You said you reported it to Smeltings?”

 

“Yes. Ideally, your cousin would no longer reside with your aunt and uncle, either, but the sensitive circumstances regarding you render that difficult,” Snape explained. “Since he spends the majority of the year at boarding school, that is serving as a buffer. The staff are keeping an eye on things, and I do believe he is receiving counselling from Smeltings during the term time.”

 

Harry swung his legs out from the bench. “I bet my aunt and uncle are thrilled about that…”

 

“They don’t know that it is happening,” Snape said, “and as far as your cousin is aware, the mandatory counselling is a consequence for bullying his peers. The true nature of his sessions won’t get back to his parents.”

 

Harry wondered how Snape always managed to think of everything. 

 

“So?” Snape prompted. “What are your thoughts on legal action a few years down the road, then?”

 

“I really don’t know,” Harry muttered, knotting his fingers in his fringe. “It’s just a lot…”

 

Snape reached over and rubbed his shoulder. “Like I said, you have time. I, personally, would be inclined towards telling the authorities, but it is not a decision that I will make for you. Whatever you decide, I will lend you my full support."

 

“Thank you,” Harry whispered.

 

Snape nodded and didn’t say anything else, happy to sit in the silence as Harry tried to mull things over. It was difficult, having options. Harry just couldn’t work out what he wanted to do…

 

But, like Snape said, Harry had time.

 

Suddenly restless, Harry leapt up from the bench and started walking in the direction of the shops again. Snape quickly followed, matching his pace. There was another long silence, and they were practically in the supermarket car park before conversation resumed.

 

“You do know I have twenty-four hours in a day, Harry?” Snape said abruptly. Harry frowned, a little confused at the sudden turn of their conversation, but allowed Snape to continue uninterrupted. “Of course, a reasonable amount of them must unfortunately be allotted to the menial tasks of sleeping and eating, as well as the labours of employment, but my remaining free time does not exclusively belong to Draco, no matter what difficulties he may currently be facing.”

 

Harry felt his face heat up. “I didn’t think -”

 

“You did,” Snape interrupted. “I know what you’re like.”

 

Harry simply shrugged in response, certain his face was cherry-red by now.

 

“Draco does not need or want to be constantly fretted over,” Snape said, “and therefore, I have plenty of spare time during which you can talk to me about whatever it is that may be troubling you, no matter what else you assume is going on in my life. I would rather have an actual conversation than find myself conducting a full-scale interrogation when you work yourself into an unexplained strop like earlier.”

 

“Right.” Harry coughed awkwardly. “Sorry.”

 

“I don’t want you to be sorry,” he said tersely. “I want you to actually talk to me.”

 

“I will. Really.” Harry, to his surprise, found his mood lifting. “But anyway, you’ve gotten pretty good at getting answers out of me, now.”

 

“I know you,” Snape said simply. “It has all grown easier.”

 

Harry smiled to himself as they entered the supermarket. This, he thought, must be what having a parent was like. A person who knew you well enough to notice you struggling, who fixed your problems without you even needing to ask, who was there for you even when you were short-tempered and caustic.

 

Harry never could have imagined how pleasant it was to be taken care of.

 


 

“We’ve got a lot to tell you,” Ron muttered as Harry settled at the Gryffindor table for breakfast on Monday. Harry didn’t respond, since he was too busy craning his neck to watch Draco. The other boy was making his way over to the Slytherin table to eat breakfast for the first time since the incident last week. Harry was so engrossed in watching Draco that Ron’s  bids for his attention went completely over his head until his friend flicked a bit of sausage at him, hitting Harry squarely on the nose. 

 

“Ron!” Percy said in a scandalised voice. “What on earth do you think you’re doing, throwing food?! You’re setting a terrible example for Ginny!” 

 

Harry, who had seen Ginny flick food at people on multiple occasions, thought that Percy was fighting a losing battle on that front. Ron seemed to agree - he simply rolled his eyes and turned back to Harry while Percy carried on grumbling to himself.

 

“Pay attention, Harry!” Ron said exasperatedly. “Don’t you want to hear what Snape did to the Slytherins last week?”

 

“He did something?” Harry whispered, glancing up to the staff table to look for his guardian. If looks could kill, Harry thought that Snape would have vaporised the entire Slytherin student body with the sheer power of his glare. Nearly every Slytherin student had their head bowed, and the ones looking over to their Head of House went a little green whenever they accidentally made eye contact. Harry actually found himself shrinking away slightly, even though the vengeful look on Snape’s face wasn’t even being directed at him. 

 

“Lavender was telling Parvati and me all about it this weekend,” Hermione whispered. “Her older sister Matilda is dating one of the Slytherin fifth-years. She was really annoyed because her boyfriend skipped their date on Thursday night. The boyfriend told Matilda he couldn't make it because Snape had the Slytherins locked up in the common room all evening, shouting and lecturing them about bullying!”

 

“That doesn’t surprise me,” Harry muttered, glancing over to the staff table again. Snape didn’t like to be made a fool of, and the entirety of his house going behind his back to bully his ward must have really infuriated him.

 

“That’s not even the best part - he told the Slytherins that if he ever caught them bullying a fellow Slytherin again, he’d take fifty points away himself!” Hermione hissed.

 

“No way!” Ron’s fork clattered to the table. “You didn’t mention that part!”

 

“Wow,” Harry said faintly. 

 

“He must be really serious,” Hermione said. “I’ve never seen him take points from a Slytherin before, let alone fifty!”

 

“You didn’t mention the suspension, Hermione!” Ron said impatiently.

 

“Suspension?” Harry echoed.

 

“That’s right  - Blaise Zabini got two weeks suspension for setting Malfoy on fire,” Ron said, smirking. “We saw his mother taking him out of the castle on Friday when we all came down for dinner. Serves him right, the little git.”

 

“I overheard Pansy Parkinson in the girls toilets, talking to Daphne Greengrass about it all,” Hermione said in a low voice. “Apparently, if he so much as looks at Malfoy funny after this, Zabini’s being expelled.”

 

“He ought to be expelled now!” Harry said angrily. 

 

“Well, if it helps, I think he’s in for a miserable time at Hogwarts,” Ron said. “Fred and George said that their detention with Filch on Saturday was full of Slytherin third-years, all moaning about how much detention Snape gave them for harassing Malfoy. Months’ worth, by the sound of things - I bet Zabini’s joining them when he gets back.”

 

“If they know what’s good for them, I think they’ll all be leaving Malfoy alone from now on,” Hermione said firmly. “Professor Snape’s on high alert, and they’d be awfully stupid to try and get past him.”

 

Harry looked over to the Slytherin table again, and quickly picked out Draco’s gleaming blonde head. He was hunched over his plate, and either side of the bench next to him was devoid of students.

 

“I’m not sure if this whole punishment regime is going to be much help on the whole friends front, though,” Harry said gloomily. “I doubt any of them are going to speak to Draco again.”

 

Hermione sighed. “I’m not sure if there’s much Professor Snape can do about something like that, Harry…”

 

“I just feel bad for him.” Harry murmured. “I wish there was something I could do.”

 

He thought he noticed Ron and Hermione exchange a funny look, but it was over before Harry could make sense of it, and before he knew it, they were discussing the various Gryffindor antics he’d missed during the week away. 

 


 

Monday evening was turning out to be a wholly uneventful affair. Snape was holed up in his office with a couple of N.E.W.T. students, leaving Harry and Draco to their own devices within his quarters. As usual, both were taking advantage of Snape's absence to get away with ignoring their homework. Harry was sketching out ideas for Ron's birthday card, but kept scrapping pages as he struggled to draw the Chudley Cannons crest. Draco was oscillating between the piano and his current novel, which he claimed had reached a dreadful dry patch. All of these things made it an evening that wouldn't be of note - until there was a faint knock at the entrance to their quarters, that was.

 

Harry closed his sketchbook and wandered over to the hidden door, curious. He wasn't expecting any visitors… Harry pushed open the portrait of Asclepius, who was grumbling on as usual, and found Ron and Hermione waiting for him on the other side of the door. They both looked slightly nervous.

 

Harry beamed. “I didn’t know you guys were coming down tonight!” 

 

“Well…” Hermione exchanged a meaningful look with Ron, then stepped forward. Harry noticed she was holding an Exploding Snap deck. “Ron and I were wondering if you and Malf - and Draco would fancy a game of Exploding Snap.”

 

“And Draco?” Harry repeated incredulously. He didn’t know what was more unusual - Hermione coming to the dungeons with the intention of seeing Draco, or Hermione calling Draco by his first name.

 

“The twins taught us this fun new version of poker with the explosive cards, but it’s better with four people,” Ron muttered, scuffing the floor with his shoe. “So, yeah, he can join.”

 

“Right.” Harry shook himself, and gestured behind him. “Er - come in, then…” 

 

He led Ron and Hermione into the sitting room. When he noticed the three of them walking in, Draco shut his book and got up to leave for his bedroom. Before he could make much progress, Harry stopped him with a hand to the shoulder.

 

“Stay out here,” he suggested. “We need you for a game of Exploding Snap.”

 

“I’m alright, thanks.”

 

“Come on Mal - I mean, Draco,” Ron said, sounding impressively sincere. “You’ll enjoy it!”

 

Draco looked between Ron and Harry, mouth hanging open slightly. He arched an eyebrow at Harry, who simply shrugged in response. He had no idea why Ron and Hermione had spontaneously decided to start referring to Draco by his first name, but Harry certainly wasn’t going to complain about it. 

 

“Well, if you insist,” Draco said cautiously.

 

“Brilliant!” Hermione clapped her hands together. “Ron and I will set up the deck, then…”

 

Harry assumed at first that the enjoyable evening which his friends and his brother had shared was just a one-off event, but it turned out to be quite the opposite. After coming down to the dungeons with the Exploding Snap, Ron and Hermione proceeded to visit the following night, and the next, and the next… in fact, during Draco’s first week back at school, they visited every day, excluding Sunday night. As pleased as Harry was about it, he still had a few questions.

 

“So what’s with the new Draco obsession?” Harry asked in their Monday Transfiguration lesson.

 

Ron shrugged, and adjusted the mouse he was attempting to Transfigure. “Don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

“Don’t pretend!” Harry complained. “You two used to hate coming down to see me if Draco had to be there, so what’s changed?”

 

“Well - he’s really not that bad, Harry. You made me realise that, back in early January,” Hermione said, poking her snuffbox with a wand. Her spell had gone perfectly, unlike Harry, whose snuffbox still had whiskers. “We don’t see enough of you as it is, and if we’re down there, we might as well spend some time with Draco as well.”

 

“Draco,” Harry said emphatically. “Not Malfoy - Draco.” 

 

“You said once that Snape made you two call each other by your first names so you stopped hating each other so much,” Ron said, diving forwards to grab his mouse before it raced off his desk. “I thought it might help.”

 

“But I just don’t understand -”

 

“There’s nothing to understand, Harry,” Hermione said briskly. “You’re our friend, and Draco isn’t bad company. Why can’t we try to get along with him, too? Don’t make a big deal out of nothing.”

 

Harry fell silent after that, but he knew there was more to this newfound camaraderie, no matter what Ron and Hermione were claiming to the contrary. They’d seen the state Harry was in after Draco had run away, after all. They understood now that Harry cared for Draco like a brother.

 

Perhaps they felt just as bad about what Draco was going through as Harry did, even if they weren’t as close to him.

 

But what was the point in prodding at the issue? Ron and Hermione were coming down to the dungeons more often, so Harry got to see his friends more, they were getting along with Draco quite well, and he seemed to be enjoying Ron and Hermione’s company. Harry always noticed Draco perked up a little when Ron and Hermione arrived at the portrait hole, and he’d occasionally slipped into calling them by their first names, instead of referring to them as ‘Granger’ and ‘Weasley’. 

 

Even Snape seemed pleased by this new development. Harry would have expected him to abhor the constant presence of Gryffindors in his quarters, but when he thought they weren’t looking, Snape would linger in his office door frame and watch them chatting or playing some sort of game with an approving look on his face. 

 

Snape also restrained himself to insulting Ron and Hermione just once or twice a night, a remarkably large step for him. Harry knew that meant Snape was just as pleased about this new development as he was. After all, why wouldn’t he be? Snape wanted Draco to make some friends again, too, even if those friends just so happened to be Gryffindors.

 

The days slipped past, growing warmer and sunnier as the cold February days gave way to the March thaw. The last of the snow melted away, the sun beamed brightly above the mountains, and daffodils began to peek their yellow heads out around the castle grounds.

 

As the world shook off the last tendrils of winter chill, Draco himself also seemed to discard some of the sadness he’d been hauling around. It took him a surprisingly short length of time to get comfortable with Ron and Hermione, who he quickly began to bicker with as furiously as he did with Harry. That, he knew, was a sign that Draco had finally flipped back to his old self.

 

He knew Draco would never admit to it, but Harry suspected that Draco was actually quite glad to be friends with Ron and Hermione. They’d even managed to develop friendships that weren’t just an extension of Harry. Draco was on Hermione’s Arithmancy and Ancient Runes courses, and provided her an academic partner of her calibre. Meanwhile Ron finally had a friend with the same childhood and understanding of wizarding culture that Harry and Hermione could never quite grasp. 

 

Unfortunately for them all, the new quartet they were forming was bound to be short-lived. They’d barely experienced a month of peaceful friendship together before it was rocked by a cataclysmic fallout. To Harry’s mild surprise, the problems hadn’t been caused by an offensive comment of Draco’s, or an insensitive remark on Ron’s part. In fact, the rift was between Ron and Hermione. Crookshanks had finally managed to get ahold of Scabbers, with deadly consequences. 

 

Harry didn’t know if Ron and Hermione’s friendship was ever going to recover. They both weren’t speaking, and when they did talk it inevitably evolved into a screaming match filled with cruel and cutting insults. Harry had seen them fight before, but never this badly. Since Ron and Hermione could barely stand to be in a room together without coming to blows, Harry and Draco quickly took up a strategy of divide and conquer.

 

Harry typically ended up alone with Ron, who would rant for hours about Crookshanks and Hermione while Harry nodded along and did his best to look sympathetic. Draco tended to follow Hermione to the library after their shared lessons, where she would tearfully complain about how all cats hunted rats and bemoan Ron’s aversion to natural animal instincts.

 

Draco was far less used to Ron and Hermione’s constant fights than Harry was, and he didn’t even make it a fortnight before his patience snapped. One afternoon following the conclusion of their lessons, Draco stormed into their quarters and slammed his Arithmancy textbook onto the coffee table with far more force than strictly necessary, making Harry jump. He slumped into the seat opposite and glowered at Harry.

 

“You need to sort out Granger and Weasley,” he announced. 

 

Harry sighed loudly. “And what makes you think I can do that?”

 

“You’ve been friends with them for two-and-a-half years, not me!” Draco said, propping his head up with one hand. “Surely you have some sort of trick to make them stop…”

 

“If I did, wouldn’t I have used it by now?” Harry rolled his eyes. “Besides, it’s obvious that Crookshanks ate Scabbers. There was blood and cat hair on Ron's bed. Crookshanks has had it out for that rat since the very beginning, and Hermione just won’t admit it. Ron’s not getting over anything until she apologises, and they’re both too stubborn to find middle ground.”

 

“If I have to hear Hermione say ‘cats hunt rats’ one more time, I am going to hex someone,” Draco grumbled. “That Arithmancy lesson was torture. I’m just so sick of it all!”

 

Despite the exasperation Harry was feeling towards his other friends, he had to bring his hand up to his face to hide a smile. Draco still tended to call Ron and Hermione by their surnames, but he had started slipping up more and more often as time went on. That surely had to be a good sign…

 

“It’s doing my head in as well, but we’ve just got to put up with it,” Harry said. “They’ll make up eventually, I hope. They always do.”

 

“It had better be soon, or I’m locking them in a broom cupboard together until they get over themselves,” Draco muttered darkly. 

 

Snape happened to walk in from his office in the middle of this last comment, carrying a pile of papers. He paused in the middle of the room and gave them a slightly concerned look. “I beg your pardon?”

 

“It’s nothing,” Harry said quickly. “Pet problems. Ron and Hermione are at each other's throats right now.”

 

“It’s a nightmare,” Draco complained.

 

“I see.” There was a twitch around Snape’s lips that characterised amusement, an expression he quickly tried to hide. “As tempting as your solution may seem, Draco, I am obligated to remind you that false imprisonment violates the Hogwarts Code of Conduct."

 

"Someone ought to change that,” Draco grumbled.

 

Snape’s lips twitched again as he settled in the living room and started flicking through his piles of paperwork. 

 

Draco groaned loudly, and his head hit the table with a thud. “I can’t do this anymore, Harry. I told Granger I’d meet her in the library this evening to do our Ancient Runes homework, but if she cries on me one more time…”

 

“At least you don’t have to deal with Ron complaining about the same thing over and over while he tries to come up with ways to make her cry,” Harry muttered. “He keeps forgetting I’m friends with Hermione, too!”

 

“Let’s just dump them and go off together,” Draco announced. “It’s such wonderful weather outside, and it would be a shame to waste the evening…”

 

“Brilliant.”

 

“And you can finally meet my dog,” Draco added.

 

“Oh.” Harry pulled a face. Draco had been trying to get him to meet his death spectre dog for a few weeks now. Harry, who was still a little unnerved by it, had been finding whatever excuses he could to decline.

 

“If that dog was really the Grim, I’d have dropped dead by now,” Draco said, shooting him a judgemental look. “Don’t be such a baby!”

 

Harry, who always got particularly annoyed by accusations of cowardice, squared his shoulders and glared at Draco. “Fine. I’ll meet your creepy dog.”

 

“Brilliant!” Draco beamed at him. “Let’s go now, so we can pick up some food for him on the way. I’ll show you where the kitchens are, Harry.”

 

“Back before sundown,” Snape called as they gathered their cloaks and headed out.

 

It wasn’t too bad of an evening plan, Harry could begrudgingly admit. Spending time with Draco, even with the dog thrown into the mix, was sure to be far more pleasant than listening to Ron and Hermione whinge about each other all night long…

 

Besides, the added bonus of finding out where the kitchens were located really sweetened the deal. Fred and George had been refusing to tell Ron and Harry where it was for years, now, so Harry could finally find out and get one over on the twins. That meant Harry was more than happy to listen while Draco prattled on about the dog.

 

“I really do worry about him,” Draco said as they descended into the castle depths. “He’s so thin - he obviously can’t take care of himself! Maybe Severus would let me keep him as a pet in our quarters?”

 

Harry snorted. “Fat chance. Severus thinks animals are only useful in ingredient form.”

 

“He doesn’t mind owls -”

 

“Because they deliver post,” Harry reminded him. “I can’t even imagine the look on his face if you brought some mangy stray in…”

 

“Yeah, you’re right.” Draco sighed. “He probably wouldn’t come anyway. Grim’s a bit skittish - I can go weeks at a time without seeing him.”

 

“You named your dog Grim?!" Harry said loudly, wheeling around to glare at Draco.

 

Draco shrugged. “Well, you were the one always going on about how he was a sign of death, so I decided to embrace him as a sign of our impending demise." 

 

“Bloody hell, Draco! That’s not funny!"

 

“It is a little bit." Draco smirked. “Don't be so superstitious, Harry! Any wizard worth his stock knows that Divination is a bunch of hogwash." 

 

Harry rolled his eyes and decided not to respond to that. Instead, he asked, "What are you going to do if the dog doesn't show up?”

 

Draco shrugged. “Leave the food at the edge of the forest, I guess. I think he takes it when I’m not there, sometimes.” 

 

Draco came to a halt in front of a portrait of a bowl of fruit. He reached out and tickled the pear, and the portrait swung open, revealing a large, wooden door. Harry followed a couple of paces behind Draco, looking around curiously. The kitchen was a large, high-ceilinged room, containing four long tables that replicated the ones in the Great Hall. The whole room was full to bursting with at least a hundred house-elves, all carrying large platters of food. Harry’s mouth immediately began to water as the delicious smells wafted through the air.

 

Harry and Draco were immediately swarmed by a crowd of house-elves. All of them were beaming, offering up plates full of biscuits and other delicious-looking treats to Harry and Draco.

 

“Good evening, young masters!” the foremost elf squeaked. “And what can we be doing for yous today?”

 

“I want an assortment of meat,” Draco said. “Drumsticks, steak, the like.”

 

“Please,” Harry added, shooting a pointed look at Draco.

 

“We will be right with you, sir!” 

 

A few of the house-elves dashed to the cooking counters at the sides of the room while the remainder continued to push all sorts of biscuits and pastries into their hands. Eventually the house-elves returned, carrying a wicker basket that was full to the bursting with cold cuts.

 

“Thank you all so much,” Harry said gratefully as Draco took the basket.

 

“Oh, it is no problem at all!” the lead elf said, drawing himself up importantly. “It is a pleasure to be serving a student of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!”

 

The other elves repeated similar sentiments as Harry and Draco backed out of the kitchens. Once the portrait had clicked shut, Draco let out an exasperated huff. “Those brainless, obsequious house-elves really do rub me the wrong way -”

 

“There’s nothing wrong with house-elves!” Harry protested. “They just get a little enthusiastic.”

 

“Didn’t you say once that my old house-elf tried to kill you on several occasions?” Draco asked. “Enthusiastic is a bit of an understatement!”

 

“Dobby wasn’t trying to kill me,” Harry corrected, feeling rather defensive of Dobby. “Just maim me. He wanted me out of Hogwarts, that was all.”

 

“Oh, he was only only out to maim you?” Draco drawled, giving Harry one of the haughtiest of his disapproving looks. “Well that makes it so much better -”

 

Any further conversation was cut off as they rounded the corner and smacked straight into a fast-moving figure. It stumbled heavily against the wall, and Harry heard the sound of glass clinking and caught sight of a brightly-coloured shawl.

 

“Goodness me!” Professor Trelawney regarded them with an affronted glare, all while trying to hide several sherry bottles behind her trailing scarves. “You shouldn’t be tearing down the corridors like this, boys!”

 

“Sorry, professor,” Harry said with a grimace. “We didn’t see you there.”

 

“Well, I am sure that there are many things you don’t see…” Professor Trelawney dropped her scandalised tones and returned to her usual, misty voice. “When one isn’t privileged with the Inner Eye like myself, you live in blissful oblivion…”

 

Harry had to wonder why her Inner Eye hadn’t warned Professor Trelawney that they’d all crash into each other while leaving the kitchens.

 

Professor Trelawney peered over the tops of her magnified glasses at him. “I suppose you’re going outside to enjoy the spring air?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Well enjoy it while you can, my dear…” She reached out and patted him on the shoulder in a rather grandmotherly fashion. Harry struggled not to look visibly disgusted at the gesture. “I’ve seen terrible things in my crystal ball… a bleak future awaits you, I’m sorry to say…”

 

“I’ve heard.” Harry took a pointed step back so he was in line with the revoluted-looking Draco. “Well, if I’m reaching the end of my life, we really ought to get going, professor -”

 

Suddenly, the bottles Professor Trelawney was holding fell from her arms, smashing to pieces on the cobblestones. She staggered backwards through the broken glass, body tense and rigid.

 

“Professor, are you alright?” Harry asked urgently.

 

She certainly didn’t look well. Professor Trelawney was leaning heavily against the wall, eyes rolling into the back of her head.

 

“What is she doing?” Draco demanded. “Is she having some kind of fit?”

 

“I don’t know!” Harry said frantically. “I’ve never seen her like this before!”

 

“Should we get -”

 

“IT WILL HAPPEN TONIGHT.”

 

Harry and Draco both fell silent as Professor Trelawney continued to speak in a harsh, guttural voice that sounded nothing like her.

 

"THE DARK LORD LIES ALONE AND FRIENDLESS, ABANDONED BY HIS FOLLOWERS. HIS SERVANT HAS BEEN CHAINED THESE TWELVE YEARS. TONIGHT, BEFORE MIDNIGHT... THE SERVANT WILL BREAK FREE AND SET OUT TO REJOIN HIS MASTER. THE DARK LORD WILL RISE AGAIN WITH HIS SERVANT’S AID, GREATER AND MORE TERRIBLE THAN EVER HE WAS. TONIGHT... BEFORE MIDNIGHT... THE SERVANT... WILL SET OUT... TO REJOIN... HIS MASTER....”

 

Professor Trelawney’s head lolled forward, chin tipping onto her chest. Worried she would fall, Harry nervously stepped forward to grab onto her arm, but before he could, Professor Trelawney’s head snapped up again. She took in a deep gasp, like she’d just come up for air from some great body of water. Professor Trelawney stared at the broken glass surrounding her feet and frowned.

 

“I’m terribly sorry, my boys,” she said, getting out her wand. “I must have lost my balance… Evanesco.”

 

Harry and Draco both silently stared at her, open mouthed.

 

“Are you both quite alright?” Professor Trelawney inquired lightly.

 

“You - you just said - you said the Dark Lord’s going to rise again!” Harry stammered out. “You said that his servant was going to come back to him tonight!”

 

Professor Trelawney let out a tinkling laugh. “You must have misheard me, my dear!”

 

“No, he definitely didn’t,” a remarkably pale Draco confirmed.

 

“Well, I’d certainly remember saying something of that nature!” Professor Trelawney said, drawing herself up to her full heights. “Don’t spread falsehoods, boys - as if I’d ever predict something as far-fetched as that!”

 

She hurried off down the corridor in a huff, leaving a shell shocked Harry and Draco in her wake.

 

“Well, fuck me,” Draco said faintly.

 

The stress of the situation finally bubbled over, and Harry burst out laughing.

 

“What are you doing that for?!” Draco demanded. “I don’t see what’s so bloody funny!”

 

“I don’t know!” Harry gasped, clutching at his sides. “God, I just can’t cope with all of this Divination nonsense! Trelawney should have gone into drama, or something!”

 

Draco finally gave in and chuckled. “Well, she was right about one thing - that all sounded completely far-fetched.”

 

“I think she realised I was getting a little bored of her usual predictions of my death, so she decided to spice it up a bit,” Harry theorised as they walked up the basement staircase.

 

Draco was horrified. “She does things like that all the time?!”

 

“McGonagall said she predicts someone’s death every year,” Harry explained. “Obviously it would be me.”

 

“I can finally see why Hermione hates her so much,” Draco muttered. “It’s not funny to joke about things like that!”

 

“Agreed.” As they surfaced into the Entrance Hall, Harry paused in place and turned to look at Draco. “And it was a joke, right?”

 

Draco scoffed. “Obviously. Everyone knows that Trelawney’s nothing but an old fraud.”

 

“True…”

 

Harry tried to shake off any residual feelings of worry. Professor Trelawney had never made a real prediction in her life - why would she suddenly start now?

 

Still, whenever Professor Trelawney was faking clairvoyance, it had never looked anything like that… 

 

There was no point in worrying, Harry decided. That was what Trelawney would have wanted. Instead, he took it upon himself to admire the splendid sunset, which had painted the sky orange and pink, and braced for his introduction to Grim.

 

Harry was admittedly a little nervous. Ripper had been thoroughly off-putting for Harry as far as dogs were involved, but despite his large size, Grim was far less frightening than Marge’s horrid animal. Grim had startled Harry a little at first by immediately bounding over to him and jumping up, almost knocking Harry to the ground with the force behind his large paws, but Grim managed to pick up on Harry's distress and returned to a reasonable distance. 

 

After spending some time watching Draco as he threw bits of chicken into the air for Grim to leap up and catch, Harry felt a bit more comfortable interacting with the large dog. He carefully fed Grim a bit of sausage out of the palm of his hand at Draco's prompting, then felt comfortable enough to run a hand over Grim’s back. The dog watched him closely, tongue lolling and tail wagging furiously. He also completely ignored Draco, much to the other boy's chagrin. 

 

“Why does he like you more than me?” Draco said resentfully as Harry rubbed Grim’s head. “I’m the one that’s been providing his meals for all these months!”

 

“What can I say?” Harry shrugged. “I’m a dog whisperer.”

 

Draco scoffed. “You, a dog whisperer? Didn’t your aunt’s dogs regularly attack you?”

 

“Shut up,” Harry grumbled. “Ripper was a special case. I think Aunt Marge actually trained him to come after me, just to teach me some sort of lesson. And anyway, he liked to bite Aunt Petunia just as much as me…”

 

Grim suddenly made a whining noise, and his tail drooped. 

 

“I think he’s jealous you’re talking about other dogs,” Draco snorted. 

 

“Maybe. Sorry, boy.” Grim relaxed slightly as Harry continued to rub his matted coat, tail wagging merrily once more. Up close, Harry could finally understand why the dog appealed to Draco - he really was rather friendly. Harry couldn’t understand how he’d ever thought this thing was an omen of death…

 

“’ARRY!” 

 

Harry glanced over his shoulder and saw Hagrid standing outside of his hut, calling Harry’s name through cupped hands. Once he saw Harry looking, Hagrid began to wildly gesture with his hands.

 

“Draco, I’ll be back in a second,” Harry said, getting to his feet and brushing down his robes while he walked over to Hagrid’s Hut. As he got closer, Harry noticed Hagrid was beaming beneath his tangled, black beard.

 

“It’s good ter see yeh!” Hagrid clapped him on the back with enough force to make his teeth rattle. “Yeh’ll never believe what I’ve found!”

 

“What is it?” Harry asked.

 

“Over here.” Hagrid began to walk back in the direction of his cabin while Harry followed. On the steps was a square object, covered by a white sheet.

 

“I didn’t want ter scare him,” Hagrid explained, pinching the corners of the sheet. “Not after I found him hiding in the milk jug…”

 

“Who?” Harry asked curiously.

 

Hagrid pulled the sheet away, revealing a tattered, thin rat, sleeping in the corner of a small cage.

 

“Scabbers?” Harry gasped. “I thought he was dead!”

 

“Make sure yeh return him ter Ron,” Hagrid said, picking up the cage and handing it to Harry. “Maybe he and Hermione’ll sort this fight o’ theirs…”

 

“Hopefully,” Harry said, holding the cage up to the light. He grinned. Finally, he could put an end to Ron and Hermione’s fighting!

 

At least, Harry hoped he could. This would involve Ron admitting he was wrong about something, and it would involve Hermione not lording it over Ron’s head until the end of time. Harry quickly decided it would be wise to manage his expectations.

 

“Make sure yer back in the castle before dark,” Hagrid warned. 

 

“I will be,” Harry promised. 

 

Hagrid gave him one last wave and disappeared back into his hut while Harry strolled across the lawn, Scabbers’ cage tucked under one arm. The motion seemed to have finally woken the ancient rat, though, and he certainly wasn’t coming quietly. Scabbers was squealing madly, eyes bulging in his tiny head. He kept running in circles in the tiny cage, repeatedly throwing himself against the bars with little success. It almost looked like he was desperately trying to squeeze his frail, skinny body through the gaps…

 

“What’s your problem, huh?” Harry asked. “Don’t worry. I bet Ron’ll take extra care to keep Crookshanks far away from you this time.”

 

The rat continued to screech and struggle, right up until Harry got close to Draco. He was petting Grim, who had his snout buried in the picnic basket. Scabbers pressed himself against the part of the cage which was closest to Harry’s body and curled into a small lump of fur, dead silent. He was trembling.

 

“What did he want?” Draco asked, glancing up at Harry.

 

“Well, Hagrid might have just found a solution to our Ron and Hermione problem.” Harry held out the cage and grinned.

 

“That’s amazing!” Draco’s eyes gleamed triumphantly. “But how did Hagrid find Scabbers alive? I thought Crookshanks ate him!”

 

Harry opened his mouth to respond, but faltered as Grim snapped his head up and stared directly at him. The dog growled, lips drawing back to show long, pointed teeth.

 

“Um… Draco?” Harry nervously took a step back, instinctively drawing his wand. Before he could go anywhere, Grim pounced. He hurtled forwards, massive, dark paws stretching out, and tackled Harry directly in the chest. 

 

The force of impact knocked the wind out of Harry as he fell to the floor, dropping Scabbers’ cage and his wand, gasping soundlessly for air that would not enter his lungs. Grim loomed over him, and Harry was half-certain the creature would bend down to rip his throat out.

 

Grim did no such thing, however. He leapt off of Harry and jumped to where the cage had landed. Scabbers began squealing madly as Grim fitted the cage’s handle between his great jaws and shot off into the distance. 

 

“Oi!” Draco bellowed, scrambling to his feet.

 

Harry reached for his wand, determined to stop this dog escaping with his friend’s pet, but his hand grasped at empty grass. Where had it landed? Before Harry could work that out, Harry’s eyes landed on an orange blur streaking across the grounds. He caught a glimpse of Crookshanks’ glowing yellow eyes as the cat paused several feet from him to pick up Harry’s wand in his mouth. A moment later, Crookshanks dashed after Grim.

 

“Hey!” Harry shouted indignantly, finding his breath at last. “Get back here!”

 

“What in Merlin’s name just happened?” Draco demanded, reaching out a hand to help Harry off the ground. He grabbed it and hauled himself up, then pointed a finger in the direction of the dog and cat sprinting across the lawn.

 

“Hermione’s bastard cat just nicked my wand!” Harry shouted.

 

“He did what?!”

 

“Took my wand, that’s what! Don’t just stand there, help me get it back!”

 

Draco nodded, then pointed his wand across the grounds. “IMMOBULUS!” 

 

The white jet of light hit the ground a foot from where Crookshanks and Grim were running, missing the animals completely.

 

“It’s no use - they’re too far away!” Draco shouted. “I won’t be able to aim!”

 

“Then we need to run after them!” Harry said, beginning to sprint across the lawn. “Go - I can’t lose my wand!”

 

It was a surprisingly even race. Harry and Draco had the relative fitness of a gruelling Quidditch training regimen on their side, while Grim seemed to be quite hampered by the unwieldy cage between his jaws. Crookshanks seemed reluctant to overtake the dog, and kept up at a leisurely lope next to Grim, Harry’s wand still firmly lodged between his teeth. 

 

The boys didn’t manage to gain on the animals, but they stayed within Harry’s sight as the whole group traversed the grounds. Grim and Crookshanks were making a beeline for the Whomping Willow. Harry viciously hoped that the ill-tempered tree would take out the animals so he could get his wand and Scabbers back.

 

Harry skidded to a halt as the branches of the tree began to creak and lash out, unwilling to get within hitting range. Crookshanks managed to nimbly dodge the worst of the willow’s blows and placed his paws upon a rugged knot on one of the roots. The wild, lunging branches of the Whomping Willow were frozen in midair, like the tree had suddenly turned to stone. The leaves didn’t even twitch in the breeze as Grim shot forward like a rocket, disappearing into a dark gap between the roots with the squealing Scabbers still trapped in his clutches. Crookshanks followed closely behind Grim with a wave of his bottlebrush tail. 

 

“C’mon!” Harry hissed. He tried to press forward, but without Crookshanks, the tree had activated again. A branch immediately flayed open Harry’s cheek when he tried to advance, and nearly knocked him from his feet.

 

“Harry, stop!” Draco shouted, grabbing him by the shoulders and roughly pulling him back. “A wand’s not worth the Whomping Willow slicing you to bits!”

 

“I don’t know about you, but I’m not going back down to tell Snape I lost my wand to a bloody cat!” Harry yelled, shaking off Draco’s grip. “If I don’t follow them now, I’m never going to find that wand again! Help me out and try to touch that root - I think that’s how Crookshanks froze the tree!”

 

“You are such an idiotic Gryffindor!” Draco bellowed as Harry threw himself back into the willow’s melee. He tried to force his way through the whirlwind of branches, grimacing in pain as one lashed across his shoulder. Moments later, Harry heard the tree make impact, and Draco let out a grunt of pain. He felt a flash of gratitude, then focused his attention on getting to the knot before either one of them were too badly bloodied. 

 

Harry gritted his teeth and threw his entire body weight forward, and roughly collided with the tree trunk. Harry pressed one hand to the knot and another to his chest. Between the dog’s powerful paws and that little display of acrobatics, Harry’s ribs were bruised and throbbing painfully.

 

Luckily enough, his hunch had been correct - the tree froze with Harry’s hand on the knot. Draco hurried forwards, but paused by the dark entrance between the roots.

 

“We’re really going in there?” he whispered.

 

“Yep - you first.”

 

“I don’t want to go first!” Draco protested.

 

“I would, but my hand’s keeping the tree frozen!” Harry said exasperatedly. “If you’re coming along, then suck it up and get in!”

 

Draco glowered at him, then sighed and squeezed himself into the darkness. Harry gave him a second, then quickly snatched his hand away and pressed himself beneath the tree. He slid headfirst down an earthly slope and landed in a cramped tunnel, where Draco had just lit his wand.

 

“My robes are going to be ruined!” he said irritably, examining a bloody slash across his arm and the dirt down his front with intense disgust.

 

“Really not the time, Draco!” Harry bit out. “Come on, let’s go through here and try to find them already!”

 

He pressed forward, path only illuminated by the dim light of Draco’s wand. Harry felt horribly vulnerable without his own, and it just made him all the more eager to catch up with Crookshanks. He continued on at a punishing pace, ignoring Draco’s occasional oaths as he lost his footing over uneven ground.

 

“How long is this thing?” Draco panted.

 

“Dunno,” Harry said. “It was on this map of the secret passages in the school that Fred and George gave me, but they said no one’s ever gotten in here. I think the tunnel leads out of the school…”

 

“Hang on a second. You have a map of all the Hogwarts secret passages?!” Draco demanded. 

 

“Erm…”

 

“How come you never told me?!”

 

“Sorry - if you don’t tell Severus about it, I’ll let you use it,” Harry said quickly. 

 

Draco paused for a moment, then let out a loud huff. “Fine. It’s a deal.” He froze. “Damn - Severus. If this tunnel is taking us out of school, then he’s going to notice we’ve not come back before dark and check your tracker! We’re dead, Harry!”

 

That alone almost made Harry spin on his heel and march right back where he’d come from. After taking a moment to shove down the sensation of heart-stopping dread, he continued journeying onward. “Look, I’d rather deal with a furious Snape with my wand in hand than also have him yelling at me for losing it to begin with. Besides, nothing’s dangerous about what we’re doing if nobody even knows this tunnel exists. Even Fred and George thought it was unusable, and they basically know everything about the castle!”

 

“Good point.” Draco sighed loudly. “You’re always getting us into trouble, Potter…”

 

“I don’t think you have a leg to stand on after you broke into the Ministry of Magic, Malfoy,” Harry shot back.

 

“Touché,” Draco muttered.

 

Harry continued to hurry through the tunnel, taking it at more of a run than the brisk pace of before. There were renewed stakes, now. If Harry had any chance of getting his wand before Snape noticed he was out after dark, he needed to get a move on.

 

His breath came in short, sharp gasps as the tunnel began to rise and twist. Beams of dim light filtered in from up ahead. Harry shot towards it and found himself in a dark, dusty room covered in peeling, grey wallpaper. The windows were boarded up, only allowing a few weak beams of fading dusklight to illuminate their surroundings. Things became a bit brighter as Draco caught up with Harry, wandlight casting strange, ominous shadows over the broken furniture and scratched-up walls. 

 

“Where are we?” Draco whispered. “What is this place?”

 

Harry opened his mouth to reply, but before he could, a loud crash exploded from upstairs, followed by a series of ear-piercing squeals. Harry jumped into action and ran up the groaning staircase, praying it would hold his weight, then burst into the upstairs room. 

 

The first thing he noticed were the lamp-like eyes of Crookshanks, glowing at him from across the room. The cat was lying majestically across a broken four-poster bed, and Harry felt a mixture of triumph and extreme irritation to have at last caught up with the blasted creature. He took a step forward -

 

“HARRY, NO!” Draco shrieked. “GET BACK!”

 

As Draco’s wandlight skittered across the room, several things became very apparent to Harry at once. Crookshanks no longer had his wand. No, Harry’s wand was currently being held by a filthy, skeletal man, who was half-obscured by the shadows in the room. 

 

Draco’s shaky hand rose to illuminate the figure’s face. The spell cast his features into sharp relief, making his gaunt skull appear even sharper, his lips even more cracked and bloodied, his sunken eye sockets even hollower. It magnified the manic gleam in the man’s eyes, and it revealed a face that had haunted every newspaper cover and every wanted poster for half a year.

 

Harry was face to face with Sirius Black.

To be continued...
Expecto Patronum by aspionage

“PETRIFICUS -”

 

“Expelliarmus,” Black rasped before Draco could finish the spell. His wand flew into Black’s empty hand.

 

“You,” Harry whispered, rooted in place. His heart hammered a drumbeat into his ribcage as Black took a step forward. His gaunt face split into a grin, revealing broken, yellow teeth.

 

“You’ve been so helpful, bringing him to me,” Black’s hoarse, disused voice croaked out. “So much like your father, Harry… James would have wanted you to help me…”

 

The slight against his father snapped Harry out of his daze. Fury lit his blood on fire, and all Harry knew was that he wanted Black dead more than he’d wanted anything in his life. He didn’t have his wand, but what Harry did have was that red-hot rage and his bare hands, perfectly capable of throttling Black.

 

Harry tried to lunge forwards, but Draco grabbed a fistful of his robes and yanked him back. Then, completely shocking Harry, he strode forward and placed himself between Harry and Black.

 

“You won’t touch him!” Draco’s voice was wavering, and his entire body was trembling violently, but his resolve held firm. “If you want Harry dead, you’ll have to kill me. That’s not something you’d want to do, Black. You’ll spill pure, Malfoy blood - your Dark Lord won’t take kindly to that, will he?”

 

Black stared silently at Draco for several seconds, then threw his head back. A barking laugh echoed throughout the shack.

 

“As if I’d care about a thing like that!” Black said mirthfully, shaking his head. “You’ve nothing to worry about. Draco. There will be just one murder here tonight…”

 

Draco frantically shoved at Harry, and pleaded, “Run, Harry, I’ll hold him off -”

 

“NO!” Harry bellowed. Draco’s words, a distressing parody of James’ final moments, had ignited a new wave of hatred in Harry. He felt like firecrackers were exploding inside of his head. “HE KILLED MY MUM AND DAD!”

 

With one last surge of force, Harry wrenched himself out of Draco’s grasp and hurled himself at Black. Judging by the slight widening of his eyes, Black had been caught off guard, and Harry managed to topple both of them to the ground before Black could curse him. Harry raised his fists and struck out, hitting Black in the eye socket, then the jaw…

 

But in his rush of rage, Harry had forgotten one critical factor: he was a wandless, skinny, thirteen-year-old boy up against an armed, hardened criminal. Despite the years of obvious starvation, Black was still much larger than he was, and shoved Harry into the side of the four-poster with ease. When Harry threw himself back at Black, trying to keep the man pinned down, the tip of a wand jabbed into his sternum. “FLIPENDO!” 

 

The spell hit Harry with the force of a speeding truck, hurling Harry across the room. Stars exploded behind his eyelids when his head slammed against the wall, and Harry felt something wrench unpleasantly in his ankle when his whole body weight landed on his left leg. He crumpled to the ground in a heap, a high-pitched whining in his ears drowning out all noise in the room. 

 

After about a minute, the ringing faded, and hands began to furiously shake Harry’s shoulders. He forced his eyes open, and Draco’s terrified face swam above him. Harry roughly pushed himself upright, rubbing at the sore lump on the back of his head, and slumped against the wall with his injured leg outstretched. Black watched all of this go down from his space in the shadows, Crookshanks winding between his legs. Both of the wands were pointing at Harry and Draco.

 

Harry’s anger crumbled away in a wash of despair. There was nothing to be done. They were backed into a corner, wandless, and judging by the painful throbbing in his left leg, Harry was fairly certain he’d sprained his ankle badly, if not broken it. There was no way he’d outrun Black in this state - they were stuck at the man’s mercies.

 

But perhaps there was one thing Harry could do. Under the guise of clutching at a non-existent wrist injury, Harry wrapped his fingers around the tracker bracelet and pressed his fingers to the oval carving above his pulse point. Harry hoped desperately that Snape would be able to find them before it was too late. He and Draco couldn’t take on Black, but his guardian could.

 

Black took a step forward, and Harry and Draco both flinched back.

 

“Get out,” Black ordered, gesturing  towards the staircase.

 

“I already told you that I won’t leave Harry!” Draco bellowed.

 

“You’re not needed here -”

 

“I’m not budging!” Draco shouted, squeezing Harry’s hand. His palms were coated in icy sweat.

 

“Fine,” Black said shortly. “Do what you want. I suppose you deserve to see - you deserve to see justice carried out, to hear the full story…”

 

“What more is there to hear?” Harry spat. “You killed my parents!”

 

A shadow passed over Black’s face.

 

“I don’t deny it,” he said bitterly, “but it’s not just my fault, Harry. Don’t you want the whole story? He’d hate that… Why don’t we tell him, Wormy? Let’s spill all your dirty little secrets to James’ son in your last moments…”

 

If Harry hadn’t been convinced before that Black was out of his mind, he certainly was now. Who was Wormy supposed to be, the cat? Harry didn’t know, but he wasn’t sure if there was anything to be divined from the ravings of a crazed madman, anyway.

 

“I must thank you for this, Draco,” Black said suddenly, holding up Draco’s wand. “This holly wand didn’t take kindly to what I was trying to cast on Peter… it wasn’t working at all… but this hawthorn wand? Far more responsive… I think it knows I’m a part of the family…”

 

“You’re no family of mine!” Draco shouted, hands curling into fists. “I’m nothing like you!”

 

Black shook his head once, sadly. “We are far more alike than you realise, Draco.”

 

“I would never kiss the boots of the Dark Lord,” Draco growled, “and I would never sell out my friends to him! You should be ashamed of yourself!”

 

Black stared at him for a very long moment, face oddly crumpled. He abruptly shook himself, like a dog emerging from a body of water, and turned his attention to the four poster bed. “I think everyone ought to be present for the conversation we’re about to have… let’s crack on, shall we? Are you ready to have a little chat, Wormtail?”

 

“What the hell are you on about?” Harry snapped.

 

Black ignored him completely, sunken eyes still fixated on the four poster. Harry followed Black’s gaze, and realised that the man was staring at Scabbers, still cowering in his cage. Something suddenly occurred to Harry. Scabbers was here, and so was Crookshanks, but where was the dog? Was it somehow in league with Black like Crookshanks, or had Grim escaped the strange, dilapidated building they found themselves in? Harry hadn’t spotted any exits apart from the tunnel he and Draco had entered through…

 

His musings were abruptly interrupted when Black finally made a move. Harry tensed, but Black wasn’t approaching him and Draco. Instead, he had bent down in front of the cage, his face barely an inch from it, caressing a wasted hand over the bars. Scabbers had started to squeal again. The sound was like nails on a chalkboard.

 

“I want to look you in the eyes while I do it, Peter,” Black whispered. “I want to see the look on your face as I commit the murder I was imprisoned for…”

 

“Why is he talking to Ron’s rat?” Draco whispered in a very frightened voice.

 

Black’s head snapped up, and some of the mania faded from his face. “This isn’t just any old rat, Draco. This is an Animagus.”

 

There was a long, ringing silence.

 

“You’re mental,” Draco said faintly.

 

Black chuckled. “It’s time for me to finally tell you a story for once, Draco. Petrificus totalus.”

 

Harry flinched back, expecting his limbs to lock into place, but the spell didn’t make contact with him or Draco. As it turned out, Black had never been aiming his wand at them at all. He had actually been pointing it at the rat cage, where Scabbers had frozen in place. At last, the screeching stopped. 

 

Black twirled Draco’s wand between his fingers, then hissed, “Alohomora.” 

 

The cage unlocked, and Black retrieved Scabbers by the end of his stiff tail. Black held him aloft gripped between thumb and forefinger.

 

“That can’t be an Animagus,” Harry said, staring at the frozen rat. “He’s been in Ron’s family for ages!”

 

“Twelve years, as a matter of fact,” Black said steadily. “Isn’t that right, Harry?”

 

“Well - yeah, but -”

 

“Isn’t that a strangely long time for a common old rat to live?” Black said softly. He had started to rhythmically swing Scabbers back and forth, like the pendulum of a grandfather clock. “Doesn’t that set off a couple of alarm bells in your mind that perhaps he wasn’t a real rat to begin with?”

 

Draco scoffed. “The Weasleys might be thick, but I’m sure they’d have noticed if one of their pets was an Animagus!”

 

“You didn’t,” Black said abruptly, “and we’ve spent quite a bit of time together these past few months.”

 

Draco’s mouth opened and closed soundlessly for several moments. He appeared lost for words.“Thank you for the food,” Black said, something in his hollow eyes softening, “and for the company. You were very kind to me… I’d been alone for such a long time…”

 

“You used me,” Draco whispered. His wide eyes glowed oddly in the faint moonlight. “I told you all those secrets, thinking you were Grim - I said all those thing about my life, my problems, about Harry, all so you could just use it to get to him and -”

 

“Haven’t you realised by now that Harry’s not the one I’m after?” Sirius interrupted. His eyes darted back to Scabbers again. “Enough confusion. I think it’s long past time for a little reunion with dear old Peter.”

 

Draco clutched at Harry’s arm as Black glowered at Scabbers. “Homenum revelio.” 

 

The spell hit the rat, and Sirius immediately dropped him. The second Scabbers hit the floor, he began to grow and shift before Harry’s very eyes, patchy fur melting away into flesh, limbs sprouting from places paws had once been, until a small, balding man was lying prone on the ground in Scabbers’ place. 

 

Black hadn’t been lying. Scabbers was an Animagus.

 

Harry didn’t have the foggiest idea who the man lying before him was, but judging by the loud gasp to his right, Draco did. 

 

“Peter Pettigrew!” he breathed. “He’s the Animagus?”

 

Black frowned. “I did tell you.”

 

“No, you didn’t!” Draco protested furiously. “What in Merlin’s name is going on? Peter Pettigrew is supposed to be dead!”

 

Black did not respond. He was rather preoccupied with staring at the man on the ground, lips drawn back into a triumphant snarl. Black dug his boot under Pettigrew’s side and flipped him onto his back. 

 

“Evening, Peter!” Black leered down at Pettigrew. “Long time no see, eh?”

 

“Peter Pettigrew is dead!” Harry protested. “You killed him!” 

 

“In a little while, I certainly will get around to that,” Black growled, “but no, Harry. Unfortunately enough, Peter Pettigrew is alive and well. He’s spent the last twelve years hiding as Ronald Weasley’s pet rat.” Rage twisted his gaunt features. “I saw him in the newspaper, you know. Your friend and his family were on the front page of the Daily Prophet, holidaying in Egypt after winning the prize draw. I saw him on that boy’s shoulders, saw in the caption that the boy would be going back to Hogwarts where you were, Harry, and bringing Peter with him…”

 

“But he’s dead!” Harry insisted. “You blew Peter Pettigrew to smithereens in front of a streetful of Muggles -”

 

“But all they ever found was a finger,” Draco whispered. “And that man’s hand…”

 

“Noticed Pettigrew’s missing appendage, have you?” Black gestured to the Pettigrew, and Harry noticed a finger was indeed missing on his left hand. “You must take after your mother, Draco - Narcissa was always so very bright…”

 

“But I read the reports about you before my father’s trial!” Draco said, pressing a hand to his temples. “There were eyewitnesses! They all said that Pettigrew shouted about how you sold James and Lily Potter out, that you killed them, and then the street exploded -”

 

“A series of clever diversions.” Black’s voice had turned bitter. “And to think, I’d always thought Wormy was the thickest of the lot of us… he blew up the street, and cut off his own finger, and shouted those things to fake his own death and pin the blame on me!”

 

“But it wasn’t a lie!” Harry protested furiously. “You’re the one who killed my parents! You sold my mum and dad out to Voldemort - you were their Secret-Keeper, and you betrayed him! You said yourself earlier that you killed them!”

 

“I as good as killed them,” Black said miserably. “It’s all my fault… I was the one who suggested the switch, after all…”

 

Harry blinked. “The what?”

 

“It was too obvious, you see,” Black whispered, wrapping his arms around himself. “I was James’ best friend… Voldemort would have expected me to be the Secret-Keeper, so I suggested we swap at the last minute. I thought I was so very clever… Well, on the night they died, I went to check on Peter, but when I arrived at his hiding place, he was gone with no sign of a struggle. It didn't feel right. I set out for your parents' house straight away. And when I saw their house, destroyed, and their bodies... I realised what Peter must've done... what I'd done...."

 

Black’s voice broke, and he turned his face away. There was a long moment of silence as Harry tried to understand, to work out what he ought to believe, to shake up his understanding of his parents and their deaths yet again.

 

“But you laughed,” Draco said in a strained voice. “When the Aurors came for you, you just stood there laughing…”

 

“I’d just lost everything,” Black said dully. “James was the only sort of family I’d ever had - he was my brother. To find his body, knowing it was all my fault that he and Lily died… I was mad with grief. When I stood there and realised everything that rat had pulled off, I just laughed, and laughed, and laughed. I couldn’t believe it.”

 

He was my brother. Harry tried to imagine for a moment how he’d react if he found Draco dead, then immediately pushed the thought to one side. He couldn’t accept the pangs of sympathy that the scenario brought about. Black was probably still lying, and trying to pull on their heartstrings…

 

“But why didn’t you ever say something?” Harry protested. “In prison, at your trial -”

 

“He was never tried,” Draco said with a small gasp. “I read it in the papers. I always thought that was odd…”

 

Black huffed bitterly. “My surname alone was enough to net me a life sentence in Azkaban, of course…”

 

“Merlin and Morgana.” Draco pressed a hand to his mouth, understanding dawning over his face.

 

Harry’s mind was racing. If Black hadn’t had a trial, that changed almost everything. Harry knew from everything Draco and Snape had told him that the Council of Magical Law was flawed and dysfunctional. They’d abstained from sending the likes of Lucius Malfoy to Azkaban, so who was to say Black hadn’t been falsely imprisoned?

 

I must admit, I never understood what happened to him. Andromeda’s words flitted through Harry’s mind. Sirius was one of the proudest blood traitors I knew. 

 

Harry continued to stare at Black, not knowing who or what to believe. “So…. So you broke out of Azkaban for revenge, then? To kill him?”

 

He gestured vaguely to the man on the floor.

 

“I needed to avenge Lily and James, and I needed to make sure he wouldn’t hurt you,” Black said brokenly. “I couldn’t rest after I saw him on the front page of the Prophet. Not knowing that he was at Hogwarts with you. He was perfectly positioned to act, if any news about You-Know-Who reached him…”

 

He’s at Hogwarts, he’s at Hogwarts… the words Mr Weasley claimed Black was whispering in his sleep in the Azkaban cells. They weren’t about Harry at all, were they?

 

“That's why I tried to break into the tower a few months ago,” Black added. “The Fat Lady wouldn’t let me in, so I started communicating with the cat, and tried to let him know what I wanted…” Crookshanks purred, and rubbed his head against Black’s leg. “He’s very intelligent, this one. He kept trying to bring Peter to me, but couldn’t manage it… he told me that Peter had left blood on the sheets and vanished… he must have bitten himself, I assume… faking his own death had worked once, so why not give it another go? Until, of course, I saw you carrying him in that cage, Harry… trapped at last…” Black smirked. “Now, it’s time for me to get started.”

 

He extended the wand, but Draco bellowed, “Wait!”

 

Black’s eyes darted up, gleaming with impatience. “What?!”

 

“Release the Body Bind,” Draco ordered. “I want to talk to Pettigrew. Both of us do.”

 

Harry quickly nodded his agreement. He still felt so hopelessly mixed up, and maybe another perspective would help… he needed some sort of explanation for how this long-dead man had cropped up in this broken old house. 

 

A low, rumbling growl sounded in the back of Black’s throat. “I’ve waited long enough - twelve years -”

 

“Stop!” Draco injected his voice with as much authority as he could muster. Glimmers of Lucius shone out of his steely eyes as he fixed Black with a stern and quelling look. “You’ve waited twelve years, so what’s ten more minutes? You know you owe this to Harry! Let us speak to him, now.”

 

Black hesitated, and some of the mania faded from his features. It was odd, Harry thought, how Draco had such a calming effect on the unhinged man. Perhaps it was some element of the relationship Draco had built with Grim shining through. No matter what the cause was, Draco was effective. Black heaved a loud sigh, and lowered his wand.

 

“Fine,” he muttered, glaring at Pettigrew. “I suppose you have a few things to sort out with him, Harry… but once you’re done…”

 

He made a slashing motion across his neck.

 

Harry gulped as Black crouched over Pettigrew again, wand aimed at his heart. He half-expected the man to blow Pettigrew to smithereens, but all he did was cast, “Incarcerous”. 

 

Strong, thick ropes snaked around Pettigrew’s body, binding him from head to foot. Black tugged at them, checking their strength, before he finally released the Body Bind.

 

Pettigrew’s whole body writhed. He attempted to leap upright, but the tight ropes left him struggling in place, like some sort of beached fish. Pettigrew just barely managed to lift his head and fix his watery blue eyes on Harry.

 

“Please, Harry -” he wheezed, “You have to help me! He’s come back to kill me, like he killed Lily and James -”

 

“DON’T YOU DARE TALK ABOUT THEM!” Black roared, jabbing Draco’s wand at Pettigrew. Red sparks exploded from the tip, and Pettigrew squealed in pain as they made contact with his face. “HOW DARE YOU SAY THEIR NAMES TO HARRY, YOU SWINE -”

 

“STOP IT!” Draco shouted. “You promised Harry he could talk! You owe him that, Black!”

 

The fervent outrage that had contorted Black’s features lessened a little. He nodded stiffly and stepped back, but kept the wand trained on Pettigrew. Harry stared at Draco, wondering what his brother’s plan was. Who did Draco believe? 

 

“So, you were hiding as an Animagus all these years, then?” Draco asked slowly.

 

Pettigrew nodded frantically. “Yes, yes! I had to - I knew he’d be after me! I knew he was going to come back for me, to finish the job - I’ve been waiting all twelve years for the day he escaped Azkaban!”

 

“But Black’s the first person to ever escape from there,” Harry said, brow furrowing. “How could you have worried he’d pull that off when no one else in history ever has?”

 

“He’s a powerful, Dark wizard!” Pettigrew screeched. “Black has powers that the rest of us can only dream of! He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named must have taught him tricks, all sorts of Dark spells that helped him escape! Black was He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named’s right-hand man, you’ve heard what they say -”

 

“Funny, that,” Draco said suddenly. “My father is Lucius Malfoy, you know. He explicitly told me once that whole rumour was just a bunch of nonsense. You-Know-Who didn’t have a right-hand man, only servants. No one could be anything close to his equal.”

 

Pettigrew didn’t seem to know how to respond to this. He opened his mouth then snapped it shut, eyes popping madly. “You can’t believe what Black’s told you!” he begged. “It’s all lies, a bunch of lies, I would never do the things he’s told you - I was in your dormitory for years, Harry! If I was the traitor, why wouldn’t I have hurt you then?”

 

Black laughed scornfully. “Because you were always too much of a coward to do anything of your own accord without a bigger friend telling you what to do, Peter! First was me and James, then Voldemort… with no one to boss you around, what would be in it for you to kill Harry? You may be a worthless coward, but even you aren’t fool enough to try and kill Harry Potter right under Albus Dumbledore’s nose. What would be the point in killing for your half-dead master? Why not waste away your days as a schoolboy’s pet, instead? Just wait around for some news of Voldemort to reach those twitchy little ears…”

 

Peter flinched away violently, like Black had struck him. 

 

“What - don’t want to hear your old master’s name?” Black sneered. “His lot aren’t very happy with you, are they?”

 

“I - I don’t know what you mean!” Pettigrew screeched.

 

"You haven't been hiding from me for twelve years," Black hissed. "You've been hiding from Voldemort's old supporters. I heard things in Azkaban, Peter... They all think you're dead, or you'd have to answer to them.... I've heard them screaming all sorts of things in their sleep. Sounds like they think the double-crosser double-crossed them. Voldemort went to the Potters' on your information... and Voldemort met his downfall there, didn’t he? I wonder what his followers would do if they knew you were still alive?"

 

“I don’t - you’re lying!” Pettigrew’s face was shiny with sweat. “Harry, please! You mustn’t believe him!”

 

But while Harry didn’t quite believe Black, yet, he couldn’t find it in himself to believe Pettigrew either. Draco seemed similarly inclined. He asked, “If you were innocent, then why did you spend twelve years hiding as a rat? Why would anybody choose that kind of life?”

 

“Because - Because You-Know-Who’s supporters didn’t all go to Azkaban, you know!” Pettigrew babbled. “If they knew I’d put their best spy there -”

 

“Me, a spy?!” Black said furiously. “How dare you! In what world was I Voldemort’s best spy? The Order never trusted me from the start, with my background! If there’d have been even the slightest hint of deceit around me, I’d have been out on my ear before you could blink…”

 

Black let out a humourless laugh. “You, on the other hand? Oh, there was just a trail of destruction in your wake… how did we never notice that you were the leak? All of those deaths - the McKinnons, Caradoc Dearborn, people who ought to have been safe - you sold them out to get in good with your master! That’s not even to speak of James and Lily - oh, I bet it was the finest day of your life, scurrying away to pass on their location to Voldemort!”

 

Pettigrew’s protests had now turned into incoherent babbling. The sweat had started to plaster his thinning blonde hair to his forehead.

 

“Er - Pettigrew did bring up a decent point,” Draco said hesitantly. “How could you have broken out of Azkaban without Dark magic? You, erm… well, you never actually explained how you did it…”

 

“Yes, exactly!” Pettigrew nodded frantically. “Thank you! Precisely what -”

 

“Not you,” Draco interrupted. “I want Black to answer. So?”

 

Sirius stared off into the distance with a puzzled frown on his face.

 

“I… well, I don’t quite know,” he said slowly. “I think it’s important that I always knew I was innocent. That wasn't a happy thought, so the Dementors couldn't suck it out of me... but it kept me sane and knowing who I am... helped me keep my powers... so when it all became ... too much... I could transform in my cell... become a dog. Dementors can't see, you know...." His throat bobbed. "They feel their way toward people by feeding off their emotions.... They could tell that my feelings were less - less human, less complex when I was a dog... but they thought, of course, that I was losing my mind like everyone else in there, so it didn't trouble them. But I was weak, very weak, and I had no hope of driving them away from me without a wand...." 

 

"But then I saw Peter in that picture... I realised he was at Hogwarts with Harry... perfectly positioned to act, if one hint reached his ears that the Dark Side was gathering strength again...." 

 

Pettigrew was shaking his head, mouthing noiselessly, eyes glued to Black.

 

“He was ready to strike at the moment he could be sure of allies... and to deliver the last Potter to them. if he gave them Harry, who'd dare say he'd betrayed Lord Voldemort? He'd be welcomed back with honours.... So you see, I had to do something. I was the only one who knew Peter was still alive, and the only one positioned to stop him....." 

 

"It was as if someone had lit a fire in my head, something that the dementors couldn’t destroy... It wasn't a happy feeling, you see, but an obsession... but it gave me strength, it cleared my mind. So, one night when they opened my door to bring food, I slipped past them as a dog.... It's so much harder for them to sense animal emotions that they were confused.... I was thin, very thin... thin enough to slip through the bars.... I swam as a dog back to the mainland.... I journeyed north and slipped into the Hogwarts grounds as a dog.”

 

Sirius’ grey eyes were piercing as they rose to meet Harry’s gaze. “I saw you a few times, Harry… in that park in Surrey, and in Lily’s old town, when those boys attacked you…I tried to fight them off for you. I even came to your Quidditch match, you know. You fly as well as your father did, Harry...."

 

Harry stared at him, transfixed. They looked at each other for a long, unbroken moment.

 

“I held you the day you were born,” Black said softly, his eyes glittering with grief. “You took your first steps with me… I visited every week, and you always used to cry until your parents handed you to me… I’d never do anything to hurt you, Harry. Never. You’re my godson. I’d have died before betraying you, James and Lily. I swear it.”

 

And at last, Harry believed him. He glanced over to Draco, shared a meaningful look with him, then turned back to Black. Throat tight, Harry nodded once.

 

“No!” Pettigrew screeched, writhing in place. “Please, I wouldn’t, you can’t!” His watery eyes became glued to Draco. “Please, don’t let Black trick you, too -”

 

“Don’t even try it,” Draco spat. “You ought to be ripped limb from limb for what you did to Harry. I said we’d hear you out, and we have. If Black wants his way with you, then I’m happy to let him get on with things. Have your revenge, Sirius.”

 

Harry glanced between Draco and Sirius. The family resemblance had turned strangely stark as they stared at Pettigrew with identical, glinting grey eyes, hungry with the same murderous hatred. 

 

“I’ll hand your wand back once I’m done, Draco,” Sirius said, raising his voice to be heard over the wailing, sobbing Pettigrew. “Apologies about that, by the way.”

 

“Well, you’re using it for a good cause.” Draco’s face was twisted with a strange kind of malicious glee. “Anything to make that worthless piece of scum suffer just as much as Harry had to all these years -”

 

Suddenly, the downstairs door burst open in a loud clatter of noise. Pettigrew fell silent and Black straightened up, alert, wand aloft. Harry shuffled across the floor and peered between the slats in the bannister, but didn’t see a person.

 

“Strange,” Black said softly. “This has always been an old, haunted place -”

 

“EXPELLIARMUS!” 

 

Black yelped as the red jet of light hit him in the chest. The spell was so overpowered that it not only ripped Draco and Harry’s wands from his hands, but also slammed Black into the wall. Harry didn't pay him much attention, though, too busy searching for the origin point of that spell. A figure was standing at the top of the stairs, pulling off Harry’s Invisibility Cloak.

 

Snape had arrived to save them.

 

It was strange how nothing but a facial expression could render Severus Snape so unrecognisable. As he stared down Black, actually quivering with hatred, there wasn't a single glimpse of the guardian Harry had come to know this last year to be seen. In his place stood somebody who Harry could truly believe had hurt, had killed, and would happily do so again in a heartbeat. This man was a former Death Eater, and he was dangerous. 

 

Something awful was about to happen.

 

Harry could have sworn that there was a cloud of crackling, evil energy cloaking Snape as he stormed across the room and pinned Black to the wall by his throat.

 

“You are going to regret ever deciding to attack my children,” Snape said in a terrible voice. 

 

He drove his wand under Black’s chin, evoking an awful choking noise. Snape began to mutter in unfamiliar, clipped Latin, and Harry watched in horror as Black’s face turned red, then purple, then a dreadful white-blue. His jaws shuddered open, and globs of dark blood spilled over his cracked lips and dribbled down his chin. Black's body began to spasm and twitch.

 

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO HIM?!” Harry screeched. For the first time in a very long time, he was truly terrified of Snape.

 

“SEVERUS, PLEASE! YOU CAN’T!” Draco shouted at the same time. “YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!”

 

Snape stopped chanting and snapped his neck around to look at them. There was a hardness to his black eyes that could only be described as murderous, but it faded slightly into a more familiar look of worry. Snape released Black, and he toppled to a heap on the floor, wheezing and coughing. Blood kept dripping from his sagging mouth, and pooled on the floor by Black's cheek. Harry wanted to go over and check if he was alright, but his vision was blocked as Snape swept down onto him and Draco. He grabbed Harry by the shoulders.

 

“What has he done to you two?!” Snape demanded.

 

“Nothing!” Harry said quickly.

 

“Nothing?!” he echoed incredulously. “You’re covered in blood!”

 

Harry reached out a hand to touch his face, only for his fingers to come back bloody. That must have come from the Whomping Willow’s attacks, Harry realised. The adrenaline of the night had banished the sting from those earlier injuries. He doubted Snape would accept that explanation though; not in the frenzied state he was currently in.

 

 “Severus, you have to stop, you don’t know what’s going on!” Harry tried desperately, even though he knew it would be fruitless. Harry knew Snape well enough to realise that he wouldn't be willing to listen to anybody right now, even Harry and Draco. He was just too angry.

 

“I know well enough,” Snape spat, eyes hardening again. “He’s Cursed you.”

 

Black made a choking noise, trying to mumble around all the blood in his mouth. “I would never -”

 

“SILENCE!” Snape bellowed, and Harry flinched violently. This reaction only seemed to stoke the flames of Snape's fury. He finally released Harry and rose to his feet, face white and livid.

 

Black coughed again, and attempted to lift his head from the ground. “It might be a good idea to hear Harry out, Snape -”

 

Black abruptly stopped speaking when Snape pointed his wand directly at him. Harry’s breath caught in his throat as Snape’s lips curled into a snarl. “Cruci -”

 

“NO!” 

 

Draco leapt to his feet and shoved Snape as hard as he possibly could from behind. Snape, obviously caught off guard, dropped the wands he'd taken from Black and stumbled back into the four-poster, nearly squashing the spitting Crookshanks, who leapt away across the room. Snape’s grip on his own wand had also loosened, and as he tried to push himself upright, Draco snatched it from his grasp. He kept it pointed directly at Snape while Harry lunged across the floor with what little mobility he still possessed to grab the lost wands. He screwed his face up in pain as his injured leg protested against the movement, and gingerly settled himself back against the wall with the limb splayed out in front of him. Then, Harry threw Draco's wand back to him. 

 

Draco couldn't quite seem to believe what he was doing as he raised that wand to also point at Snape. What little colour there had been in his face drained away.

 

Snape raised his hands in a placating gesture. He looked both horrified and heartbroken. “Draco, don’t - you’re under the Imperius -”

 

“I’m not, you bloody idiot!” Draco yelled. His wand arm was trembling. “I’m not going to attack you, I’m just trying to stop you from doing something stupid! Can’t you just stop and listen to us? You don’t understand what’s really going on, Severus! Turn around and look!” 

 

Snape seemed reluctant to tear his eyes away from Draco, but when Harry’s brother indicated harshly with his wand to the far end of the room, he finally glanced away. There was a strange grunting noise, and Snape’s eyes darted towards the source. It was then that he became privy to the fifth person in the room, bathed in shadow - the fully bound man who was currently attempting to wriggle like a worm towards the staircase which the hissing Crookshanks was guarding.

 

When Snape’s eyes met his, Pettigrew froze in place. He was so still that it looked as though he’d been put under another Body Bind.

 

Snape’s mouth actually fell open, and it was several seconds before he managed to gather his wits. “Pettigrew?!” 

 

“Severus!” Peter gasped. “Oh, thank goodness you’re here! You can help us, Black’s here to kill me -”

 

“Oh, shut up!” Black snapped before devolving into another fit of coughing from whatever it was Snape had done to him. 

 

Snape’s eyes were darting around the room at breakneck pace - Pettigrew, to Black, to Harry and Draco, to Black again. 

 

“It seems you have a bit of catching up to do, Snape,” Black drawled.

 

Harry could practically hear the cogs turning in Snape’s head. He was silent for a very, very long time as he looked around the room. It was nearly a full minute before he spoke - addressing Black.

 

“You switched.” It was a statement, not a question. 

 

Black nodded once, face twisted with pain.

 

Snape’s eyes were like dark pits of hatred. “You damnable fools!”

 

“At least I was never fool enough to serve the Dark Lord,” Black spat.

 

“Yes - the Dark Lord!” Pettigrew said quickly. “Severus, you - you were one of his - you would have recognised me in his ranks, surely! We went to school together, you’d have known!”

 

Snape stared at Pettigrew for a long, long moment, and a horrified expression of realisation dawned on his face.

 

“But I did recognise you,” he breathed. “The night that Agnes Carrow was ambushed by the Order, the Dark Lord tortured someone for not having the correct information - someone who went by the name of Wormtail…”

 

Black made a noise of disgust. “You used the name James gave you to spy?!”

 

“It wasn’t me!” Pettigrew screeched. “It was Black, he must have used my old nickname as a disguise -”

 

“But I know your screams, Pettigrew,” Snape said softly. A chill went down Harry’s spine. “No, I am almost perfectly certain that it was you being tortured that night.”

 

He watched Pettigrew for several moments, then whirled around to face Harry, Draco, and Black.

 

“Explain,” he said curtly. “All of you.”

 

And so they did. Black did most of the talking, his voice hoarse and ragged, while Draco and Harry occasionally jumped in when his rambling grew too incomprehensible, or to interrupt when Pettigrew would try to interject with a lie. Snape did not speak once, not even to ask a question. He also did not stop glaring at Black the entire time, even when Harry or Draco were the ones speaking. Harry couldn’t even begin to imagine what he was thinking.

 

“So, if you’re both Animagi, why didn’t you ever register?” Snape finally asked, folding his arms. “Too good for the rules, are we, Black?”

 

“A fifteen-year-old can’t legally become an Animagus,” Black said coolly. “And being registered wouldn’t have done Remus much good…”

 

Understanding dawned on Snape’s face. “You both, and Potter?”

 

“Every full moon.” Black raised his eyebrows. “How else do you think James could have caught up with you that night in the tunnel? He was in his stag form.”

 

Harry didn’t think he’d ever seen Snape look at someone with such hatred. “So I was right, when I told the Headmaster that Lupin was in cahoots with you! That’s why he came to teach here!”

 

Black’s eyes widened with shock. “Remus, a professor?”

 

“Not for much longer, if I have anything to do with it,” Snape sneered. “Once Lupin’s little romp in the moonlight has concluded, I’ll have him thrown from the castle. He’s been helping you all along - why else wouldn’t he have reported all of your Animagi powers to the Headmaster?”

 

“I don’t know why,” Black said with a frown, “but I have not seen Remus Lupin in twelve years. As far as I’m aware, he still thinks I’m a traitor.”

 

Snape had always possessed the uncanny ability to divine truth from lies, Harry knew. As he stared into Black’s face, a furious wave of understanding crossed Snape’s features.

 

“Wormtail was what we called Peter - after his Animagus form,” Black spat. “He was a rat. I was Padfoot, a dog, and James was Prongs, a stag. Only us three and Remus knew those nicknames. It was a perfect code to use with the Dark Lord - the ideal slap in the face, wasn't it, Peter?”

 

Pettigrew was still babbling and begging incomprehensibly, while Snape slowly shook his head. “You really didn’t do it.”

 

“Bingo.” Black grinned, exposing his horrid teeth yet again, which were now stained with his own blood. “It's a right old shame for you, isn't it? I'm sure you were just itching to get started on that slew of Unforgivables…”

 

Snape made a furious growling noise in the back of his throat and scowled at Black.

 

So Snape - I intend to commit the crime I was imprisoned for,” Black said, arching an eyebrow. Even lying bound on the floor, he successfully managed an air of haughtiness. “Fancy giving me a hand?”

 

Snape’s eyes drifted to Pettigrew’s trembling form, and the set of his jaw hardened. He reached out his hands and cracked his knuckles. “It would be my pleasure.”

 

“Don’t kill Pettigrew, Severus,” Harry said suddenly. Snape’s eyes fell from Peter’s face and landed on Harry, still slouched on the floor. 

 

“We need him to prove that Black didn’t murder all those people. Pettigrew should be in Azkaban, not him,” Harry said softly. “Pettigrew betrayed my parents, so he should be punished, not someone innocent. Don’t hurt either of them. Just hand Pettigrew over to the Dementors.”

 

“Black’s far from innocent,” Snape muttered, hands clenched into fists. “Unless you’ve forgotten he broke out of Azkaban, or what he did to me all those years ago?”

 

“He deserves to be heard out properly,” Harry insisted. “And that won’t happen if Pettigrew’s dead. Please, Severus. For me - just take them both to Dumbledore or something. Don’t get Black killed for something he didn’t do!”

 

Snape stared at him for a very long time, the conflict apparent on his face. Harry stared at him unblinkingly, hoping and praying that Snape wouldn’t take Sirius to the Dementors to be Kissed anyway. Harry wasn’t sure how he’d ever be able to look at Snape the same way if he didn’t do as Harry asked.

 

Please, Harry thought. Please do the right thing.

 

And Snape seemed to recognise the desperation Harry was feeling. A discontented look of acquiescence fell over his features.

 

“Fine,” he relented. 

 

Harry felt his shoulders slump as the relief overwhelmed him.

 

“Draco, give me back my wand,” Snape ordered. 

 

Draco didn’t move. He narrowed his eyes. “You’re not going to -”

 

“For heaven’s sake, I just want to secure Black and Pettigrew!” he snapped.

 

“Well you just tried to put Black under the Cruciatus Curse, so forgive me if I don’t want to hand a weapon right back to you, Severus!” Draco said angrily. “After everything you’ve spent the past year telling me, how could you go and do a thing like that?!”

 

Snape looked like Draco had slapped him. His face became heavy with regret, like he’d aged ten years in a single second. Harry had to wonder what was going on; he had no idea what the Cruciatus Curse was, but judging by Draco’s reaction it had to be something dreadful.

 

“I give you my word, Draco, I will not do anything to harm Black again,” he said in a hollow voice.

 

Draco hesitated for another moment, then threw Snape’s wand back to him. He deftly snatched it out of the air, and ran his fingers over it. Then, he pointed it not at Black, but at Pettigrew. The ropes binding him in place melted away, to be replaced by a set of silver handcuffs on both his ankles and wrists. Snape flicked his wand, and a long, metal chain attached Pettigrew to him. He then Transfigured Black’s ropes into a set of cuffs, binding Pettigrew in place on the other side. 

 

“Can I trust you not to run unless you’re leashed, Black?” Snape asked, arching an eyebrow.

 

“I don’t care what you do to me, as long as he’s punished,” Black growled. Pettigrew shrank away as Black glowered at him, hands flexing like he was just about restraining himself from throttling Pettigrew. “You'll have so much fun with the Dementors, Wormy…”

 

“I think we ought to make a trip to the Headmaster’s office, then,” Snape said, straightening up. He shot a sharp look at Pettigrew. “Don’t even think about transforming, Peter, or I will kill you. And believe me, I won’t make it quick…”

 

Pettigrew squeaked, and nodded frantically.

 

Snape gestured towards the staircase. “Harry, Draco, you two lead.”

 

He inclined his head towards the staircase, and Draco began to walk. Harry, who was still on the floor, attempted to push himself up from the ground to follow, but gasped as putting pressure on his left ankle caused spikes of pain to shoot up his leg. He leaned heavily against the wall to support himself.

 

“What’s wrong?” Snape demanded.

 

“My ankle,” Harry managed. “I hurt it.”

 

He very carefully didn’t mention how, since Harry didn’t particularly trust Snape not to try and kill Black if he found out he'd hexed Harry. In Black’s defence, Harry had attacked him first, but he didn’t suppose Snape would like that explanation.

 

Snape gave him a deeply exasperated look. “You never mention pertinent information like that, do you? Merlin's beard…”

 

“I forgot!” Harry protested. “And anyway, is now really the time for a lecture? Come on, Severus!”

 

Snape sighed loudly and pointed his wand at Harry’s leg. “Ferula.” 

 

White bandages tightly bound him. 

 

“I don’t think it’s broken,” Harry said.

 

“I still want Madam Pomfrey looking at it before I do anything to treat it,” Snape said. “Draco, can you help him walk?”

 

“Sure,” Draco said. He walked over to Harry, who slung his arm over Draco’s shoulder for support. He found that like this, he could just about manage to hobble along.

 

Black had watched all of this happen with his mouth hanging open, expression aghast. He very clearly didn’t know what to make of what he’d just witnessed. It looked like he was reading himself to ask a question, but before he had a chance, Snape began to march him and Pettigrew towards the staircase Harry and Draco were making their way down.

 

It was a long, silent journey as they all shuffled along. Harry couldn’t walk very quickly with his dodgy ankle, while Snape was slowed by his two prisoners. Crookshanks loped around their feet, tail sticking straight up in the air. Harry glowered at the cat, having not quite forgiven him for stealing his wand earlier.

 

They were about three quarters of the way through the tunnel when someone tried to break the silence. It was Black.

 

“Harry,” he began.

 

“Don’t!” Snape snapped. “You do not get to speak to him.”

 

“I’ll speak to my godson if I want to, you greasy old slimeball,” Black growled.

 

“You ought to take more care around the man who holds your fate in his hands, Black!” Snape said furiously. “Particularly since you just kidnapped the very boy you wish to speak to!”

 

“I did not kidnap him!” Black erupted. “Bloody hell, you’re as much of an idiot as ever!”

 

“And you’re a filthy little liar -”

 

Harry winced and tried to explain just how he’d ended up in the Shrieking Shack, but couldn’t find a gap in the conversation to interrupt. At any rate, Snape and Black quickly stopped arguing about that, and just dissolved into a spat of mindless bickering about a vast array of topics Harry had no context for.

 

“- And I know it was you that put that Billywig Sting in my potion, right at the perfect moment for me to singe all my hair off in the explosion -”

 

“You snuck itching powder into my laundry!” Snape said angrily. “After the weeks of hives, it was the least you deserved! You and Potter were both far too obsessed with your perfect locks -”

 

Black scoffed. “You really want to get started on hair? You?!” 

 

“Do you think this is how we sound when we argue?” Draco whispered.

 

“I hope not,” Harry muttered. If it was, then he was never going to bicker with Draco again.

 

With some aid from Draco, Harry managed to scrabble out of the passage. The Whomping Willow was still as a statue once again, since Crookshanks had situated himself on the particular knot, eyes glowing in the light of the full moon. They’d been in that ramshackle house long enough for night to fall. Harry waited with Draco as Snape pulled Black and Pettigrew out after him. They were still arguing furiously, but the subject matter had grown far darker.

 

“- after what you did to Benjy Fenwick you ought to be rotting in Azkaban, only you and your sectumsempra could cut someone into those kinds of pieces -”

 

“You tried to murder me at sixteen!” Snape shouted. “You cannot talk after setting a werewolf on me!”

 

“You wouldn’t have been in any danger if you weren’t so hellbent on getting Remus expelled for something he can’t even help!”

 

“Don’t even -”

 

Snape’s rebuttal abruptly devolved into a choked gasp. Draco and Harry both whipped around immediately. Snape was clutching his abdomen with a very pained look on his face, and Pettigrew somehow had a wand awkwardly grasped in his chained hands.

 

“No!” Harry and Black both shouted at once. Harry fumbled for his own wand, and Sirius tried to grab at Pettigrew, but they were all too late. The chains went slack as Pettigrew shrank out of them and hit the floor in rat form. He immediately leapt away into the grass.

 

“PETRIFICUS TOTALUS!”

 

“IMMOBULUS!”

 

“INCARCEROUS!” 

 

Harry and Draco shot spell after spell in the direction of the dark shadow darting across the grounds, but it was no use. Pettigrew was too fast, and too hard to see. He could only judge by the spitting, ginger streak of fur that was Crookshanks, determinedly chasing after his prey, and Harry didn’t want to accidentally hit Hermione’s cat instead of his true target. 

 

Sirius let out an animalistic howl and lunged in the direction of the Forbidden Forest, but chained to Snape as he was, all he succeeded at doing was nearly knocking both himself and Snape to the floor. Snape had to grab Black, who was writhing and fighting to get at Pettigrew, tangling them terribly.

 

“Not again!” Sirius shouted. “He can’t get away again!”

 

“Stop fighting me so we can release you!” Snape shouted, using his free hand to reach out and strike Black very hard across the face. The shock of the blow managed to stop Black’s writhing for a moment, and Snape used the moment of stillness to turn to Draco and Harry. “The countercurse, now!”

 

“I don’t know it!” Draco wailed, anxiously wringing his hands.

 

“It’s relashio - do it now before he gets away!”

 

“Relashio!” 

 

The chains connecting Black and Snape dissolved into dust. Harry would have expected both of them to charge straight after Peter, but both Snape and Black stood frozen in place. Harry couldn’t understand why - didn’t Snape want to get his wand back? Why was he staring wide-eyed in the direction Pettigrew had vanished without moving? Harry turned around to check for himself, and his stomach did a somersault. 

 

A hundred Dementors were floating across the lake towards them.

 

Black sank to his knees and clutched his head. “No… no, please…”

 

Icy cold permeated Harry’s flesh, chilling him to his very bones as the Dementors drew closer. The grounds began to vanish in a cloud of thick, white fog…

 

Snape’s face was deathly white. He threw himself at Draco and snatched the wand from the boy’s hand. “Expecto patronum! Expecto patronum - EXPECTO PATRONUM!” 

 

He shouted the spell over and over, but he could barely force more than a trickle of silver vapour from the wand. For the first time in Harry’s life, he saw true terror on Snape’s face as he stared up at the Dementors just reaching the lakeshore, approaching far too swiftly for them to outrun. Harry reached the same conclusion that Snape surely had just a moment later.

 

Snape couldn’t cast the Patronus Charm without his own wand. They were defenceless. 

 

“Harry!” he shouted urgently. “You have to help me, I can't hold them off alone -”

 

“EXPECTO PATRONUM!” Harry shouted. 

 

A shield of silver mist shot out of his wand, but it wasn’t anywhere near enough. Harry couldn’t do more than an incorporeal Patronus, and that definitely wouldn’t hold off so many Dementors. They had formed a ring around the four of them, barely ten feet out, waiting for the shield of vapour to flicker away once Snape and Harry’s powers drained.

 

Harry knew Snape was frightened, and that, more than anything, terrified him. 

 

Darkness was pressing in at the edges of Harry's vision. Black was slumped motionless on the ground, and Draco wasn’t far behind, kneeling down and clutching his middle, mumbling incoherently. Lily was screaming and pleading. They were all going to die, and Harry couldn’t help them…

 

Snape grabbed Harry by the shoulders and shook him, hard. His bloodless face was glistening with sweat.

 

“You have to do this, Harry!” he urged. “You must try and conjure a corporeal Patronus! Come on - think of your happiest memory -”

 

“I can’t!” he gasped, as the screams began to grow louder. “I can’t manage it, you know I can’t -”

 

“You can!” Snape shook him again, his eyes fierce. “Try again! You cannot afford to stop!”

 

Harry tried valiantly to press away his mother’s screams, to summon up any happy memory - of all the good times he’d shared with Snape and Draco, or Ron and Hermione, and gasped, “Expecto patronum… expecto patronum…”

 

The silver vapour was growing thinner, and Harry felt his power flickering out as tendrils of freezing fog snaked their way into his brain. The Dementors pressed forwards. Voldemort was laughing, and Draco was whimpering, and a Dementor was reaching out a scabbed hand from under its cloak, inches from Black’s face -

 

“Keep trying!” Snape’s voice seemed to be coming from very far away, but it just about drowned out his mother’s screams. “I believe in you, Harry, you can do this!”

 

I believe in you, Harry. 

 

Something about those words struck a chord, and suddenly, Harry believed in himself just a little bit more. 

 

He forced himself to remember how it felt to be happy with Draco and Snape. He thought of those wonderful words Snape had just said to Harry, and of other words, like ‘family’. He recalled how Draco had stood trembling before Black, offering up his own life to protect Harry, and thought of the protectiveness in Snape’s voice as he swooped to their defence in the shack. Harry thought of how much he loved them both, and let that feeling fill him up.

 

Somehow, he was a lot less frightened. Just as Snape and Draco had protected him earlier, Harry was going to defend his family. He had a brother and a father to stand up for, now, and if Snape said that Harry could do this, he was damn well going to.

 

Harry held his wand aloft, summoned up the last dregs of his willpower, and bellowed, “EXPECTO PATRONUM!” 

 

 It was like a crackling fire had been lit in Harry’s chest, burning every last tendril of ice from his body in a glorious blaze of bright light. More than fog exploded from the tip of Harry’s wand - a great silver animal burst forth, sending the Dementors reeling backwards in skittering waves. Harry triumphantly watched the Dementors retreat, quailing in the face of the slender, silver doe that was forcing them back. It danced across the inky lakewater, leaving shimmering footsteps in its wake.

 

It was only once both the deer and the Dementors had disappeared into the darkness that Harry allowed his wand arm to drop slack to his side. His whole body was shuddering, and his knees buckled. Harry would have toppled to the ground if it wasn’t for the strong arms that swept Harry up.

 

Snape pulled Harry tightly against his chest, squashing the air out of him. Harry wrapped his own arms around Snape and took in a shuddering breath, feeling like he hadn’t tasted oxygen during the entire battle against the Dementors. 

 

It was only then that Harry realised how violently Snape was shaking. Pressed against his ribcage as Harry was, he could hear every frantic thud of Snape’s heart.

 

“You brave, brilliant boy,” Snape whispered. “You just saved all of our lives. I am so very proud of you, Harry.”

 

Harry made an incoherent, choked noise that could have been a laugh or a sob. He felt dizzy, and breathless, and the last thought he had before the darkness claimed him was how very safe he felt in his father’s embrace.

To be continued...
Veritaserum by aspionage

“I told you, I am fine!”

 

“You just faced about a hundred Dementors, Severus! No sane person would be fine after something like that!”

 

“Stop accosting me, woman -”

 

“Severus Snape, if you do not lie down I will stick you to that bed and pour three days’ worth of Sleeping Draught down your throat,” Madam Pomfrey threatened. “Stop being so difficult and do as I say! Great heavens, you're worse than the students!”

 

Harry’s eyes fluttered open, and he saw a blurry Madam Pomfrey forcefully shoving Snape into a hospital bed on the other side of the room from him. Harry reached out blindly to try and grab his glasses, but someone placed them into his hand before he managed to find the nightstand. Harry looked to his left, where Draco was lying squeezed against him in the narrow hospital bed. He pressed a finger to his lips and smirked, jerking his head in the direction of Snape and Madam Pomfrey. She was currently attempting to force-feed the furious man chocolate from a boulder-like chunk she had on a tray.

 

Harry scanned the Hospital Wing, and realised with a jolt that the Headmaster was also in the room. Harry could just see the back of his long, silver hair glowing in the moonlight as he stood bent over the furthest hospital bed. Harry was unable to tell who occupied it.

 

“What's going on?” Harry asked, trying to push himself upright.

 

Draco shrugged. “Well, Snape is -”

 

“Draco Malfoy!” Madam Pomfrey said in a highly scandalised voice. “I told you to stay in your bed!”

 

“You told me to lie down,” Draco said innocently. “You never said where."

 

Madam Pomfrey muttered something under her breath and shot Draco a fearsome glare that would even rival Snape’s various dirty looks. She began to bustle over with her boulder of chocolate while Harry struggled to sit up. His body still felt shaky and jelly-like, and he couldn’t quite get his arms to do as he wanted.

 

“Don't you start too, Mr Potter -”

 

“What’s going on?” he demanded. “Did the Dementors catch Pettigrew? Is Sirius going back to Azkaban?”

 

“I think I could provide a few answers, Harry,” Dumbledore said, straightening his shoulders and looking at him.

 

“You can’t send Sirius back!” Harry shouted, electrified by panic. “He’s innocent, you’ve got the wrong man -”

 

“Stop getting so excited and lie down, Potter!” Madam Pomfrey ordered. She was surprisingly strong, and managed to prevent Harry from launching himself out of bed with just one arm.

 

“Can someone please just tell me what’s happening?” Harry asked angrily.

 

“I would be more than happy to explain in detail, Harry, if you would allow Madam Pomfrey to treat you while I talk,” Dumbledore said. His blue eyes were twinkling with obvious amusement as he strolled over to Harry’s bedside. “Do not fear - I have been perfectly enlightened as to Sirius’ innocence. Now, would you like me to start from the beginning?”

 

Harry nodded and reluctantly sat back without further protest as Madam Pomfrey forced a massive chunk of chocolate into his mouth. While he struggled to chew it without choking to death, Dumbledore began to speak.

 

“While taking a late night stroll, I was met by the sight of a swarm of Dementors coming across the lake,” Dumbledore said. “Of course, by the time I travelled down to intervene, they had cleared off after that very impressive feat of advanced magic you performed, Harry. Well done.”

 

Despite his worries, Harry couldn’t help the small, proud smile spreading across his face.

 

“Now, when I arrived at the lakeside, I found Professor Snape, in a rather incoherent state, attempting to carry yourself and Draco across the grounds and to the Hospital Wing,” Dumbledore added, sending an amused look in Snape’s direction. He was sitting up in his own bed, scowling furiously at the Headmaster.

 

“I had just withstood the wrath of a hundred dementors, so I am certain I can be forgiven for my lack of clear thinking,” he said waspishly.

 

“Indeed,” Dumbledore said, eyes still twinkling brightly. “I also found Sirius Black, lying unconscious by the lakeshore. Professor Snape made some attempt to convey to me what had gone on, and I similarly realised that a terrible mistake had been wrought. Unfortunately, in the time it took for me to make sense of Professor Snape’s testimony, secure the rather over-excited Dementors and to rouse the staff for a manhunt, Peter Pettigrew was long gone.”

 

Harry stared across the room at Snape, eyes wide. “But your wand…”

 

“I don’t believe I will be getting it back any time soon, no,” Snape said grimly. 

 

Harry groaned and stared at him sympathetically. 

 

“Now, I do not believe that all is lost,” Dumbledore said. “Despite the lack of evidence, I think with your testimonies, and with the testimony of the Weasley family and Professor Lupin, we should be able to prove that Peter Pettigrew is an Animagus, and that Sirius is innocent of the crimes of which he was accused.”

 

Harry slumped back into the bed as relief washed through him. “Good.”

 

Draco, however, was sitting up, alert and scowling. “That’s right - Professor Lupin. Severus, were you and Black implying he’s a werewolf? That - well, that can’t be -”

 

Dumbledore fixed Snape with a deeply disappointed look. “Severus, my boy, I believe we have spoken multiple times about keeping Remus’ condition quiet…”

 

“As it so happens, it was relevant to the matter at hand!” Snape said furiously. “As we were busy discussing the existence of three unregistered Animagi who learned to transform to run about in the moonlight with him - three unregistered Animagi including Black, whose handy little disguise Lupin never deigned to mention following his hire - I didn’t see any reason to dance around his little issue anymore!”

 

Dumbledore sighed. “Once he is feeling a little more - like himself, shall we say - I shall be discussing that obfuscation with Remus, I do think… You gave him his Wolfsbane, Severus?”

 

“I had just handed over the goblet when Harry alerted me to the ongoing crisis,” Snape said begrudgingly. 

 

“Very good, very good…”

 

“Why are you all just ignoring the fact that he’s a werewolf?!” Draco demanded. “Headmaster, I don’t mean to be rude, but what on earth were you thinking, hiring a dangerous creature like that to teach?”

 

Dumbledore examined Draco over the tops of his half-moon spectacles, and Harry got the impression that the Headmaster was rather dissatisfied with his response. Draco lost some of his bravado, and sank back a little against Harry.

 

“Professor Lupin is not a danger to you in the slightest, Draco,” Dumbledore said softly. “Twenty-seven days of the month, he is a normal man, like you and I.”

 

Draco scoffed. “A normal man? He’s got a wolf inside him, just bursting to get out and kill us all! What if Lupin decided to go on a moonlit rampage and bite half the children in this school, huh? You’d have let him turn the next generation of magical blood into nothing more than werewolf scum!”

 

Dumbledore looked deeply disappointed by now. “Professor Lupin takes the utmost precautions to ensure his condition remains contained and controlled. I can assure you, he would never do the things you’re suggesting.”

 

“But that’s what all werewolves want to do!” Draco insisted. “Don’t you know a thing about Fenrir Greyback, and all of the magical children he attacked?”

 

“It was actually Fenrir Greyback who bit Professor Lupin when he was just five years old,” Dumbledore said, sounding uncharacteristically stern. “After being so violently attacked at such a young age, Professor Lupin would never try to inflict the suffering he has experienced onto another child. Fenrir Greyback’s taste for violence is an indictment of his character, not a symptom of the lycanthropic condition. In fact, it is quite an affront to draw that parallel between Professor Lupin and the man who left him with a painful and dreadfully misunderstood disease.”

 

Draco had the decency to look a bit cowed. Harry's eyes darted between him and Snape, whose scowl had only deepened as the Headmaster chastised Draco. Harry somehow got the impression that the man disagreed with Dumbledore's assessment of werewolves. 

 

Unlike the rest of his family, Harry didn’t find himself feeling all that bothered by this new discovery about Professor Lupin. He was unfortunately all too aware of Draco’s various prejudices, and didn’t doubt that those could extend to something like werewolves. Besides, Harry had been having weekly lessons with Lupin for months - if there was a sinister, chained wolf just waiting to burst free from the man, Harry felt fairly certain he’d have seen that by now!

 

No, he was instead more concerned with the other person, lying motionless in the furthest hospital bed. By now, Harry had guessed who it must be.

 

“Can I talk to Sirius?” he asked.

 

“No,” Snape said immediately, his lips curling into a sneer.

 

Harry opened his mouth to argue, but Dumbledore held out a hand for silence. “It would be best to let Sirius be for now, Harry. He is currently resting under the influence of several potions - and I daresay he needs the sleep, since I will be contacting the Aurors shortly to sort this business out. I doubt there will be much time for Sirius to properly recover from the trials of his last twelve years while he’s in their custody…"

 

“But when can I see him?” Harry said, his face falling. “I sort of wanted to ask him some stuff -”

 

“Well, you’ll just have to wait, won’t you?” Snape snapped. Dumbledore turned sharply to look at him, and both men stared at each other from across the room for a long, silent period. Harry got the impression that an unspoken argument was occurring here, one which Dumbledore won when Snape broke away first to glower out of the window.

 

Harry, in the meantime, took the opportunity to look at Sirius’ gaunt face, illuminated by a thin beam of moonlight. He tried to imagine the bright and cheerful face of the best man who had laughed on his parents’ wedding day, but struggled to manage it. 

 

I held you the day you were born…

 

“I think that you boys ought to get some rest, too,” Dumbledore said, straightening out his shoulders. “I imagine there will be a long, tiresome day in store for you tomorrow… Now, if you’ll excuse me, I really ought to contact the authorities. There is only so long one can harbour an escaped mass-murderer in a school, after all…”

 

He drifted out of the Hospital Wing, humming to himself. Snape stared after the Headmaster, shook his head once, then heaved himself to his feet. 

 

Madam Pomfrey shot him a truly withering look. “If you try one more time -”

 

“I must speak to Harry and Draco,” Snape said tersely. “Two minutes, and then I will comply with whatever you want me to do.”

 

Madam Pomfrey paused, and then sighed loudly. “Two minutes, and you stay seated the entire time!”

 

Snape nodded reluctantly. He crossed the length of the room and perched on the side of the bed which Harry and Draco were occupying. Madam Pomfrey, perhaps sensing a need for privacy, left the three of them to it and shut herself into her office.

 

Snape stared at them for a long moment, eyes dark and unreadable. Harry chewed on his lip, feeling dreadfully nervous. All he could think about was how many of Snape’s rules he’d broken today. They’d chased a strange cat and dog off school property, they’d attacked Snape, and he’d actually tried to fight Sirius wandlessly while still thinking he was a mass murderer instead of running to safety. Snape was smart, and while Harry and Draco had given him a rather brief overview in the Shrieking Shack with several omissions, he was intelligent enough to glean the reality, surely -

 

“Well done.”

 

Harry stared at Snape, nonplussed. Draco seemed just as shocked. Where was the lecture?

 

Snape reached out and squeezed Harry’s shoulder. “I have told you time and time again to contact an adult when you’re in the midst of a significant emergency instead of taking matters into your own hands, and you finally asked for help today. You’ve come a long way, Harry.”

 

Harry nodded once, slowly, barely believing what Snape was saying. The praise made something warm glow in his chest, the same way it had when Snape had told Harry he was proud of him.

 

Snape turned to Draco, next. “You also behaved admirably, intervening before I crossed, ah… certain lines. I… I apologise for putting you in such a position, Draco.”

 

“Well you did think he had just kidnapped us and intended on killing us both,” Draco pointed out. “I suppose I can understand where you were coming from…”

 

Harry stared at Snape and frowned. “What was it that you were intending on doing to him?”

 

Snape looked away, his eyes hooded. “I think we ought to save that conversation for a later date.”

 

“But -”

 

“I promise you that we will discuss this fully, Harry,” Snape interrupted, “but it is very late, and you have had a long and difficult night. You are also going to spend the majority of tomorrow morning enduring an exhausting interrogative process, so you need to rest. Once the Aurors have left, we will talk about everything in more detail. I give you my word.”

 

“Okay,” he agreed reluctantly.

 

On cue, Madam Pomfrey burst forth from her office. Harry wouldn’t have been shocked to learn she was timing them by a stopwatch.

 

“Now, can I finally treat you?” she snapped. “There’s nothing noble about traipsing around with cracked ribs when I can easily mend them, you know!”

 

Harry inhaled sharply. “What happened to your ribs?!”

 

“Pettigrew,” Snape said grimly. “In my… moment of distraction, he seized the opportunity to drive his knee into my abdomen. That was how he was able to escape us.”

 

“Enough chatting about it,” Madam Pomfrey said irritably. “Come along…”

 

She waved her wand, and a set of white curtains appeared around Snape’s bed. Harry stared at them, feeling more mixed up than ever. Something felt very off with Snape. He seemed overly anxious, and that really wasn’t like him…

 

Draco prodded Harry’s shoulder, hard. “I still have a few questions of my own, you know.”

 

“Right.” Harry rolled over to face him. “So?”

 

“The Patronus Charm?” Draco’s eyes were wide. “Before Madam Pomfrey started harassing him, Severus gave me a quick explanation of what happened at the lake. You never told me you could cast it corporeally!”

 

“I can’t,” Harry said. He could scarcely believe what had happened at the lakeside - it all felt a bit like a dream. “That was my first time.”

 

Draco whistled. “That’s bloody impressive! How’d you manage that?”

 

“Severus really helped,” Harry admitted, brain flooded with memories.

 

I believe in you, Harry…

 

I am so very proud of you.

 

He briefly smiled to himself. Those words of praise made Harry feel like he was being lit up by a golden beam of sunshine.

 

Harry thought again of the realisations he’d had next to the lake. His father. He’d never dream of telling Snape he felt that way, but all the same, Harry found he didn’t mind keeping that private. It felt like a delightful little secret to keep to himself for now, like finding the perfect birthday present for a friend.

 

He had a father.

 

Harry glanced to one side, and realised that Draco’s approving look had given way to one of regret. “I wish I could have helped.”

 

“I’m the one who’s spent the last four months in Anti-Dementor lessons,” Harry pointed out. “How were you going to do a spell you’ve never even attempted before? Don’t be ridiculous."

 

“Alright.” Draco settled back against the pillow and sighed. “I hope they get rid of the Dementors now… I can’t handle being around them. Every time it’s just… well, the day the house burnt down, my parents getting taken away… father’s trial…”

 

Draco’s voice broke, and he stared furiously at the floor. Since he’d broken their unspoken agreement to avoid discussing what they each heard under the Dementors’ influence, Harry decided now would be the time to speak up about his own experience.

 

“You’re not the only one who can’t handle being near them - I faint half the time, remember?” Harry reminded him. “Before Professor Lupin started giving me lessons, I’d hear Voldemort murdering my mum and dad.”

 

Draco flinched, and stared at Harry, aghast. “Merlin’s balls, I need to remember not to complain around you… you and that depressing bloody childhood -”

 

“It’s not a competition!” Harry said exasperatedly. “Don’t be stupid, Draco.”

He huffed and didn’t respond.

 

“I can try to teach you the Patronus Charm, okay?” Harry said, stifling a yawn. “If you want me to, that is.”

 

“I think I’d like that,” Draco mumbled.

 

Both of them laid there in comfortable silence for a while, staring at the ceiling. Harry would have expected the events of the day to have left adrenaline coursing through him, keeping him too wired to rest but everything had taken a larger toll on Harry than he’d realised. Both Harry and Draco were fast asleep, curled up like cats, before Madam Pomfrey emerged from the curtains surrounding Snape’s bedside. 

 


 

Yet again, Harry came to at the sound of voices.

 

“- but you’ll testify truthfully and wholly?” Dumbledore was asking.

 

Snape paused.

 

“Severus,” he said reproachfully.

 

“I want it to be clear that I am only doing this to ensure Pettigrew is captured,” Snape growled. “I am not doing it for Black’s sake. He can rot in the pits of hell for all I care.”

 

Dumbledore sighed. “You have made that perfectly clear, Severus, although I do wish you could find it in yourself to choose righting a terrible miscarriage of justice as your motivation…”

 

“Then you’ll just have to keep on wishing, won’t you?” Snape said snidely. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to wake the boys.”

 

“I shall entertain the Aurors in my office until you’re ready.”

 

Two sets of footsteps clicked across the flagstones. Harry opened his eyes, and saw Snape’s blurry face swimming above him.

 

“Good. You’re awake,” he said curtly, handing Harry his glasses.

 

“What time is it?” Harry asked, blearily shoving them onto his face.

 

“Just after eight. The Aurors want to speak to you and Draco as soon as possible, so you should get dressed.” Snape reached into the pocket where he usually kept his wand, but stopped in place. He sighed. “The house-elves collected a clean set of robes from my quarters. They’re waiting on the chair.”

 

“When are you going to get a new wand?” Harry asked, pulling the covers off and swinging his legs over the side of his bed.

 

“As soon as I have a spare moment, I should think. Hopefully today.” Snape sighed again, and stared forlornly out of one of the large bay windows illuminating the Hospital Wing. 

 

Before he lost the nerve, Harry reached out and quickly squeezed Snape’s shoulder, just like Snape did whenever Harry was in a bad mood. Snape was visibly shocked by this, but Harry was pleased to notice that a little bit of the tension faded from his features. He picked up the pile of robes and headed for the toilet while Snape moved to rouse Draco, who was still fast asleep. He was now lying in the bed to Harry’s left. Someone must have moved him in the night. 

 

After quickly throwing on his clothes and washing his face, Harry emerged into the main body of the Hospital Wing to meet Snape and Draco. He inclined his head in the direction of the doors, and the three of them began to walk.

 

“The three of us shall eat in my quarters after we’re questioned,” Snape explained. “The Veritaserum won’t last for very long if you take it on an empty stomach, then flush it out after with a meal.”

 

Draco froze in place and stared at Snape, obviously alarmed. “Veritaserum?!”

 

“I am not pleased either, but the Aurors unfortunately insisted,” Snape slowed his pace. “From what the Headmaster has told me, the Minister for Magic is highly embarrassed that they’ve bungled this whole thing so significantly. Fudge wants to be certain that this investigation is airtight.”

 

Draco groaned loudly.

 

“Sorry, but what is this Veritaserum stuff you’re on about?” Harry asked.

 

Draco muttered something under his breath that sounded suspiciously close to ‘Muggle’, while Snape launched into an explanation. “It’s a potion that compels you to tell the truth to any question you’re asked.”

 

“Oh.” Harry gulped.

 

“Don’t worry. The Aurors are legally obliged to stick to a rather rigid script,” Snape explained, “especially given that you are a minor. parental consent is required for you to be questioned under Veritaserum, and for that consent to be given, the guardian must be informed about precisely what you will be asked.” Snape frowned slightly, like he’d just remembered something. “Dumbledore signed on the behalf of your guardians, Harry, which reminds me - none of the questions the Aurors plan to ask will compel you to reveal my guardianship, but do take care while you are not under the potion’s influence to avoid revealing the nature of our relationship.”

 

“Right - of course.” Harry swallowed, his throat rather dry. By now, he was feeling dreadfully nervous.

 

“You have nothing to fear,” Snape said, turning on his heel to resume walking. “It’s not as if you’ve committed a crime you’re trying to cover up. You’re just eyewitnesses.”

 

Despite what Snape said, however, Harry’s legs still felt more like jelly as they ascended the spiral staircase to Dumbledore’s office. As they drew closer to the top, muffled voices began to float through the oak door.

 

“...plans for retirement, Alastor?” Dumbledore asked.

 

“Have a good rest, I reckon,” an oddly familiar voice growled as they at last reached the top of the stairs.

 

The door burst open before Snape so much as had a chance to knock, revealing Dumbledore, accompanied by three Aurors sitting around the Headmaster’s desk. Two of them Harry recognised - one he knew as Rufus Scrimgeour, who had headed Lucius Malfoy’s trial, and the other, to Harry’s displeasure, was Mad-Eye Moody. His whirring blue eye did nothing to calm Harry’s nerves. The third man was not somebody Harry recognised, but he had a kind face, and a warm smile.

 

“Hello!” Dumbledore said cheerily. “Draco, Harry, I’d like to introduce you to Rufus Scrimgeour, Kingsley Shacklebolt, and Alastor Moody.”

 

“We’ve met,” Moody said gruffly.

 

Dumbledore chuckled, while Harry and Draco both cringed at the reminder of the Ministry incident. “I’ll hand the reins over to you three, then!”

 

“Well, I’m sure you know why you’re here,” Scrimgeour said, watching them all closely. “You found Black last night.”

 

Harry nodded, incapable of speech. His mouth was very dry, and it felt like his tongue was glued to the roof of his mouth.

 

“And we hear, there’s been some new evidence. Is that correct?” Shacklebolt queried.

 

“Peter Pettigrew is alive,” Harry said hoarsely, finding his voice at last. “He’s been hiding as a rat the last twelve years. Sirius didn’t do any of the stuff he was accused of, you’ve got the wrong -”

 

“Slow down, Potter,” Moody interrupted, holding up a hand for silence. “All that can come in a moment. Let Rufus explain the process, first.”

 

“You’ve been informed this will take place under Veritaserum?” Scrimgeour asked. 

 

Harry, Draco and Snape all nodded.

 

“Perfect. Well, after we’ve given you the potion, we’ll speak to the three of you individually and ask for your accounts of the night’s events,” Scrimgeour explained. “Firstly, we need the three of you to be checked over for mind-altering curses - Confundus, the Imperius…”

 

“The Hogwarts Mediwitch performed those examinations last night,” Snape said. Harry noticed his shoulders were slightly rigid. “Is all of this protocol entirely necessary?”

 

“We can’t make any mistakes with this investigation,” Scrimgeour said grimly. “Not after what happened with Black last time. Now, Kingsley is trained, so all of you come here so he can check you over.”

 

Snape went first, which Harry was quite grateful for. In the end, it turned out there was nothing to be worried about. All Shacklebolt did was mutter a few spells before waving a golden rod that reminded Harry of a conductor’s baton over Snape’s body. He nodded, then gestured for Harry to step forward. The spells Shacklebolt cast over him reminded Harry a little of the Diagnostic Charm that Madam Pomfrey used to check Harry’s weight once a fortnight - painless, but oddly chilly, like he had been drenched in icy water.

 

Once Harry, Snape and Draco had all been checked over and found to be in their right minds, Scrimgeour cleared his throat. “These interviews must take place separately. Mr Potter, we will start with you.”

 

“Erm - okay,” he said, casting an anxious glance in the direction of Snape.

 

“There’s nothing to be worried about, Harry,” Dumbledore said cheerily. “I’ll remain in the room with you during questioning.”

 

Harry nodded, and reluctantly followed as the Headmaster led him, Scrimgeor and Shacklebolt into a room off to the left. It was just as plush and gaudy as the rest of the Headmaster’s office, with red velvet curtains and a shaggy carpet that crunched beneath his shoes. The walls were covered in shelves containing a mixture of ancient-looking books or more of Dumbledore’s strange, whirring devices. Harry settled down onto a red chaise lounge while an unimpressed-looking Scrimgeour eyed the furniture with distaste and conjured up far more serious-looking chairs for himself and Shacklebolt. Naturally, Dumbledore had settled onto a bean bag.

 

Shacklebolt pulled out a small vial of clear liquid from the inside of his robes. “Now, Mr Potter, are you ready to proceed?”

 

Harry nodded, wringing his hands in his lap.

 

“Alright, then - just lean your head back and put your tongue out.”

 

Harry obeyed, and had to struggle not to gag as two drops of the disgusting liquid landed on his tongue. It tasted exactly how Aunt Petunia’s nail varnish remover smelled, and made Harry’s eyes water and burn. He coughed and spluttered, trying to blink the moisture out of his eyes with minimal success.

 

It felt like a strange fog had descended over Harry’s thoughts, leaving him feeling incredibly groggy.

 

“What is your full name and date of birth?” Scrimgeour asked.

 

“Harry James Potter, born July 31st, 1980,” he said immediately. A quill and parchment next to Scrimgeour began to scribble away.

 

Shacklebolt suddenly shone a light in Harry’s eyes, then nodded. “It’s working. Let’s begin.”

 

If asked later, Harry would have been unable to recall the majority of the questioning process. The Veritaserum had done strange things to his mind, and had rendered Harry into a trance-like state, where all he was capable of doing was telling the exact truth to whatever he was asked, without any room for emotion or sentiment to cloud his retellings. He felt like a vessel, only existing to provide answers to whatever he might be asked…

 

When the brain fog had cleared slightly, Harry realised he had slumped back the chaise lounge, unable to hold his neck up. Dumbledore was tapping his shoulder and leaning over him, while Scrimgeour and Shacklebolt rolled up their scroll of parchment.

 

“Harry?” Dumbledore said softly. “It’s over. Come along, now…”

 

Harry shook himself like a dog emerging from a great body of water and got to his feet, then followed Dumbledore out of the side room. Draco and Snape, who both appeared to be trying rather hard to avoid Mad-Eye Moody’s unnerving gaze, jerked their heads around at Harry’s entrance.

 

“Mr Malfoy, the Aurors would like to see you next,” Dumbledore said pleasantly. 

 

Draco nodded and got to his feet, the reluctance on his face clear. Dumbledore once again accompanied him, leaving Harry alone with Snape and Moody.

 

“You go and wait downstairs, Potter,” Moody said gruffly, jerking his head in the direction of the office door. “We can’t contaminate the remaining witness.”

 

Snape exhaled very loudly out of his nose, clearly exasperated. Harry resisted the urge to roll his eyes and exited the office, depositing himself on a small wooden bench to the left of the stone gargoyle. Contaminating the witness? He, Snape and Draco had all come here together! If they were going to conspire with one another, surely they’d have done it at any point in the last twelve or so hours? What a paranoid man…

 

It wasn’t long before the gargoyle jumped aside, and Draco came out to join him on the bench.

 

“Was it alright?” Harry asked.

 

“I don’t remember.” Draco frowned. “I think I’m still being compelled to tell the truth… that’s irritating.”

 

“How can we be sure?” 

 

“Ask something you wouldn’t want to answer, I suppose.” Draco gave him a thoughtful look. “So when I couldn’t find my hair mousse in December and you swore up and down that you hadn’t taken it, had you actually?”

 

“No - Severus took it. I caught him hiding it.” Harry scowled. “Hey, stop it! I wasn’t supposed to tell you that!”

 

“Why’d he take it in the first place?” Draco asked indignantly.

 

“Because you kept leaving it out on the counter when he asked you not to, and he wanted to teach you a lesson,” Harry was compelled to admit.

 

“That sneaky git!” Draco said angrily. “I spent four days looking for that before it showed up again, all while he put on the poor old innocent look…”

 

“Fine, he’s a git, now stop abusing the Veritaserum.” Harry scowled at him.

 

“Sorry.”

 

They fell into silence. Harry began swinging his legs back and forth on the bench, then felt the hairs on the back of his neck prickle. Draco was currently giving Harry a strange, sidelong look…

 

“Do you fancy anyone?” Draco asked abruptly.

 

“Cho Chang,” Harry said instantly, before clapping his hands to his mouth and giving the chuckling Draco a horrified look. 

 

“Oh, I knew it!” he crowed, eyes glittering with mirth. “You have a crush on the rival Seeker! What would Wood say if he knew?”

 

“You wanker!” Harry shouted, punching Draco’s arm as hard as possible. “I’m under Veritaserum, that’s not fair!”

 

“Slytherins don’t play fair!” Draco was laughing so hard that he actually fell off of the bench. “Oh, I can imagine you already, ogling her in the match instead of going for the snitch and losing the Quidditch Cup -”

 

“Shut up already!” Harry shouted, hitting Draco again. “You’re such a bloody arsehole!”

 

“Cho and Harry, sitting in a tree, K - I - S - S - OWCH! Hey, that one really hurt!”

 

“Then shut your fat mouth before I shut it for you!” Harry threatened.

 

“Stop hitting me -”

 

Suddenly, the gargoyle by Dumbledore’s office door began to grind open, and Harry and Draco both fell silent and stopped fighting. Snape regarded them with a look of deep irritation.

 

“What on earth is going on out here?” he demanded.

 

“Harry’s hitting me!”

 

“Draco forced me to tell him who I fancy,” Harry said immediately, before colouring beet red - compelled, even now, to tell the truth against his will. Still, he could not prevent himself from adding, “then we started arguing until you got out here.”

 

Snape glared at both of them, particularly Draco. “You two will be the death of me! Stop fighting, and come with me downstairs. The Aurors are finished with all of us.”

 

He purposefully put himself in between Harry and Draco as they began their journey into the dungeons.

 

Harry looked to Snape curiously. “How was your interview?”

 

“A tedious waste of my life,” he responded immediately.

 

Harry frowned. “You’re still under Veritaserum too, aren’t you?”

 

“Yes.” Snape sneered. “If you can call that Ministry-brewed sludge Veritaserum…”

 

“We could ask you anything, then,” Draco said thoughtfully.

 

Snape stopped walking so quickly that Harry accidentally bumped into him as he wheeled around to glower at Draco. “I highly doubt you want to do that, Mr Malfoy.” 

 

Draco’s throat bobbed, and he nodded very quickly. Snape glared at him for another minute before continuing to walk down the corridor.

 

“You didn’t have to tell them about, er - about how you managed to get Black under control, right?” Draco asked hesitantly.

 

“No,” Snape said. “While Occlumency talent doesn’t prevent Veritaserum from working fully, it does prevent me from completely succumbing to the trance-like state full potency induces. Therefore, I have a little bit more influence over wording. I simply stated that I overpowered Black, and the Aurors didn’t see fit to inquire any further.”

 

“Good.” Draco’s shoulders slumped with relief. 

 

“When will this wear off?” Harry complained.

 

“One more hour at the maximum, half an hour if you eat as soon as we get back downstairs,” Snape said, turning down a dimly-lit corridor that led to the dungeons. 

 

“Good,” he grumbled.

 

They had reached the office by now. Snape let them in, escorted them to the table, and summoned several plates of food from the kitchens for the three of them. Harry quickly grabbed a pastry and tucked in, eager to be rid of the side effects of the truth serum.

 

Snape was eyeing the two of them thoughtfully. “If we overlook that scuffle outside of the Headmaster’s office, I must admit that I am quite impressed with the way the two of you have comported yourself today. An interrogation is never a pleasant process, and you have borne the morning’s events well.”

 

He was still under the effects of the Veritaserum - that must mean he truly was proud of Harry and Draco. Harry squirmed uncomfortably in place. He couldn’t help but feel a bit guilty. After all, Harry was still hiding the fact that he had been fully aware that the tunnel beneath the Whomping Willow led outside of the Hogwarts grounds. Snape couldn’t know that Harry had been aware of that, or he’d have surely had a go at him already…

 

Feeling quite uncomfortable, Harry lowered his eyes to his plate and hunched his shoulders.

 

“What’s wrong, Harry?” Snape asked.

 

“I feel guilty,” Harry said immediately.

 

He felt dread coil in his stomach as Snape frowned. “Why?”

 

Unable to stop himself, Harry blurted out, “Because I knew when I followed the dog that he was going through a tunnel that led outside of the grounds, and I knew that wasn’t allowed.”

 

“How the blazes did you know about that tunnel?” Snape demanded.

 

“It was on my map.” Harry clapped his hands to his mouth in a vain attempt to muffle his words. “Hey, stop it - I can’t not answer -”

 

Snape was undeterred. He took Harry’s wrists, forced his away from his mouth and asked, “What is this map?”

 

“It’s a map of the castle that shows where everybody is at all times, and details all of the secret passages in and out of Hogwarts.”

 

Harry wanted to sink into the ground as Snape released his hands and stared at him, face rapidly reddening. All of those careful months of tiptoeing around the issue, all gone to waste! Thank goodness he’d managed to keep Fred and George out of it, at the very least… Although, Harry thought glumly, the bloody Veritaserum would probably squeeze that out of him, too.

 

“You mean to tell me,” Snape said, voice a deadly growl, “that you have a map of the castle in your possession, one that shows every current person within the castle, and you didn’t immediately give this to the authorities? You did this, despite the fact that a mass murderer who was out for your blood continually broke into Hogwarts over the course of this year?”

 

“No, I didn’t, but - well, it’s not like Sirius even was after me -”

 

“You didn’t know that!” Snape shouted, hands curling into fists. “For heaven's sake, Harry! I am absolutely sick of you finding new ways to put yourself and everybody around you in danger every other week!”

 

“I’m sorry,” Harry said miserably.

 

“Get me the map.”

 

“But -"

 

“Do not argue with me,” he said severely. 

 

Draco watched on with a sympathetic expression, as Harry shuffled out of the kitchen, Snape hot on his heels. As he went through his trunk, Harry briefly considered trying to hide the evidence, but what would the point be? Snape was far too clever to be fooled by anything Harry could come up with…

 

After heaving a sigh of resignation and saying a quiet goodbye to the map, Harry reluctantly handed it to Snape. He glared at Harry. “This isn’t a map.”

 

“You have to unlock it first.”

 

“Do so.”

 

Harry got out his wand and muttered, “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.” 

 

Snape sneered as the ink droplets gradually formed Hogwarts castle. “What a fitting password.”

 

Harry hadn’t thought it possible, but as Snape examined the Marauders Map, his scowl grew even deeper. 

 

“Lupin and his little friends,” Snape spat. “How unsurprising…”

 

Harry frowned. “What?”

 

“None of your concern. You should only be thinking about how much trouble you have just landed yourself in.”

 

Harry groaned.

 

“So not only did you have this little piece of contraband in your possession,” Snape said angrily, “but you also knowingly and willingly lied to me about it! You did this, even though to the best of your knowledge, an escaped convict was roaming the castle, after you! This is foolish even for you, Harry! You put your life and the lives of others in immense danger, all for the sake of teenaged mischief. I thought you knew better than this!”

 

“I… I didn’t think -”

 

“That much is certainly obvious!” 

 

Harry lowered his eyes to the floor and concentrated very hard on pushing down the waves of shame pounding into him. It was so bad because he knew Snape had a point. Harry had been stupid. Harry pressed his lips together, trying hard to keep his emotions in check.

 

Even though he knew it was a terrible idea to confess to more wrongdoings than the ones he’d already been called out for, Harry still felt too guilty to keep lying. He mumbled, “The map was also how I figured out how to sneak into Hogsmeade in December. It showed me a tunnel.”

 

“So despite the amount of trouble you were in then that day, you still decided it would be a good idea to carry on lying to me?” Snape’s voice was cutting. 

 

Harry squeezed his eyes shut and nodded, feeling lower than ever.

 

“Well, you can now kiss your Saturday mornings goodbye,” Snape said, folding his arms. “For the rest of term, I’ll be expecting you to come down from Gryffindor Tower and meet me in my laboratory at seven-thirty to assist me with brewing.”

 

Harry nodded. Then he shot upright as he took in Snape’s wording. “Gryffindor Tower?”

 

“I informed you that when Black was captured, you would be permitted to move back there,” Snape said. “Since that has now happened, I think you can move back upstairs at your earliest convenience.”

 

Harry’s jaw dropped. “But - everything with the map -”

 

“While it may often feel like it to you, living with me is not actually a punishment,” Snape drawled. “I would not ground you to my quarters unless you did something truly egregious, Harry. At any rate, you have endured enough restriction this year with the threat of Black hanging over you. I’d like for your life to regain some degree of normality now that the danger has passed.”

 

Harry became aware that he was still staring at Snape with his mouth hanging open, and clicked his jaw shut. Well, he certainly wasn’t going to complain. Living with Draco and Snape wasn’t as bad as he’d originally thought it would be, but that didn’t mean Harry wasn’t very eager to get back into Gryffindor with his friends.

 

“Now, into the laboratory.”

 

“Alright,” Harry said, some of his excitement dimming in the face of his punishment. He could tell that Snape was still quite angry with him, but at least he’d stopped lecturing. Perhaps Snape could tell from the look on Harry’s face how bad he felt about everything. He really hadn’t thought that the map could be helpful in aiding Black’s capture… how could he be so stupid?

 

He spent several hours gutting flobberworms with his head bowed, while Snape droned on about various potions processes. As the man spoke and the worst of his feelings of shame subsided, however, the events of the previous night began flooding back, as well as several questions Harry had been wanting to ask in the Hospital Wing. Snape had promised they’d talk after the interrogation, and technically that was now…

 

“Severus?”

 

“Mm?”

 

“What were those spells you cast on Sirius?” Harry asked nervously.

 

Snape sighed, and stopped stirring. He got up and drew a chair in so he was sitting at the desk across from Harry, his face Occlumency-blank.

 

“Harry, I cannot begin to emphasise how wrong my actions were,” he said hollowly.

 

“But I don’t even get what your actions were.”

 

“The first spell was one of my own invention,” Snape said wearily, “designed to cause internal bleeding. The second was more well-known curse, designed to cause great pain to the victim. It’s… a spell for torture.”

 

“Oh.” Harry’s stomach somersaulted uncomfortably. 

 

“I like to think I am no longer a man predisposed to violence, but…” Snape’s voice trailed off, and he ran his hands over his face. “Sirius Black evokes something in me. That, coupled with my original understanding that he had kidnapped both you and Draco, served to truly push me into a fit of rage.”

 

“Well… I can understand that,” Harry said tentatively. “I was trying to attack Black, too, when I thought he was the guilty one. I wanted him dead - you know that. Er - you just know more offensive spells than I do, so…”

 

“I hope you know I would never weaponise that kind of magic against you, Harry,” Snape said brokenly.

 

Harry was horrified. “Of course you wouldn’t! I know that!” 

 

“Well, I’m glad of that, at least.” Snape sighed heavily. “All I can do is ask you never to follow in my footsteps when you find yourself in a fit of temper. As it turns out, you might not understand the situation you have walked into whatsoever.”

 

“If you really feel bad, then… I feel like Sirius is the one you should be talking to,” Harry said tentatively.

 

Snape’s derisive snort let Harry know how slim the chances of that happening were, so he decided to let the subject matter drop.

 

“Do you think they’ll ever catch Pettigrew?” he asked instead. 

 

“Given how badly they bungled the Black situation, I am doubtful,” Snape said with a sigh. “But I do hold out hope… I don’t like to think what Pettigrew might do, out on his own with a price on his head. Even cowards can be dangerous people.”

 

“That reminds me,” Harry said suddenly, “something strange happened with Professor Trelawney yesterday. She went all rigid and raspy, and started making these strange pronouncements about the Dark Lord’s servant returning to him.”

 

Snape looked as though somebody had just walked over his grave. “She gave a prophecy?”

 

“Well…no. She’s a fraud.”

 

But given that nearly everything she’d spoken of had come true the previous night, Harry wasn’t as sure about that as he’d been before.

 

Harry felt an odd probing sensation in his mind, and instinctively slammed down the Occlumency shields that Snape had taught him to construct. It was no use, though; the conversation about Trelawney had brought their strange confrontation to the forefront of Harry’s mind, and he could feel the tendrils of Legilimency winding their way around the memory like snakes, impossible to block.

 

At last, the feeling vanished, and Harry shuddered. He shot Snape a furious look. “Did you just -”

 

“I need to speak with the Headmaster,” Snape said abruptly, getting to his feet and heading in the direction of the door. “I apologise for the intrusion, Harry, but I needed precise wording.”

 

“So it was a prophecy?” Harry demanded, feeling his chest squeeze and tighten.

 

Snape seemed to register the panic on Harry’s face and stopped hurrying out. His face twisted into what Harry supposed was Snape’s attempt at a reassuring smile. He ended up looking more like a crocodile with indigestion.

 

“I promise you, there is nothing that you need to worry about,” Snape said softly. “I simply think that Professor Dumbledore may like to be made aware that Sybill Trelawney has once again shown herself to be capable of predicting the future…”

 

“Again?” Harry echoed numbly.

 

It was as though a pair of shutters had slammed down over Snape’s face. “Yes, again. Now try not to worry, Harry. I’ll be back later. Stay here and carry on with your work.”

 

He hurried from the laboratory, leaving Harry alone with his confusing whirlwind of thoughts. Suddenly, Pettigrew’s escape felt far more sinister than it had before.

 

The Dark Lord will rise again, greater and more terrible than he ever was…

 

If the rest of Trelawney’s prophecy had come true, did it mean that line also would? Harry shuddered. He didn’t want to know what Voldemort would have in store for Harry and his family if he ever were to regain his full powers, but he knew it would be something dreadful.

 

He stared at his chopping board and wrapped his arms around his middle. With a threat like that on the horizon, getting told off about the Marauder’s Map suddenly felt like the least of Harry’s worries. 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3936