Changing Perspectives by m1dnight_sky
Summary: When Snape overhears a conversation between the Golden Trio minutes before potions class, information about Harry Potter's home life is brought to light. Can Snape and Harry overcome their differences for the sake of healing and Harry having some semblance of a positive mentor/father figure in his life?


*I do not own these characters or Harry Potter!*
Categories: Healer Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione, McGonagall, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind
Genres: Angst, Canon, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: Story
Tags: Abuse Recovery
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 6737 Read: 2093 Published: 15 Apr 2024 Updated: 16 Apr 2024
Chapter 2 - Potions Class and Confrontations by m1dnight_sky
Author's Notes:

Please let me know what you think so far and any comments!

Once Harry got his books he ended hurrying through the halls towards the dungeons. If he didn’t get to class relatively early he knew he’d end up at the front table which would leave him open to more ridicule from his potion’s professor than he was up for. He entered the classroom that was slowly filling with students and sat towards the back at his usual table. Not two minutes later Ron and Hermione came to join him. Harry met their gazes, seeing that they had no intention of dropping the subject from breakfast.


Hermione turned around from her seat in front of Harry and started talking in quiet tones. “Harry really, we’re not trying to upset you, we’re just concerned.”


“I don’t need your concern, everything is fine!” He said in quiet frustration.


Ron gave Hermione a look. “Listen mate, what if we help and don’t tell anyone. Would you let us? We could steal some healing supplies from Snape’s stores.”


At that comment Harry looked up at Ron before glancing at Snape at the front of the classroom. “Are you out of your mind Ron? He’s right there!”


Just at that moment Snape decided to speak up. “Heads forward. Mouths shut.” Waving his wand at the board, a set of instructions appeared. “We’ll be making coloring potions today. These have varying uses from decorating to disguise. You will make the potion but you will not use it on anything in this room, including yourselves.” He said with a stern glance through the room. “I will not tolerate chatter but you will work with your table partner. Begin.” And the room scattered, gathering ingredients.


———————————


Snape was sitting at his desk marking what turned out to be an awful attempt at an essay by a first year Gryffindor when the Golden Trio entered class. Normally he would do his best to ignore the insufferable brats but the looks on Granger and Weasley’s faces alone caught his eye as he glanced towards them entering. Not wanting to draw attention to the fact that he intended to eavesdrop on their chatter, he lowered his head again, appearing to continue his markings.


“Harry really, we’re not trying to upset you, we’re just concerned.”


“I don’t need your concern, everything is fine!”


Now this was intriguing… the famous trio arguing. Snape silently wondered what Dumbledore’s Golden Boy had done to concern his friends.


“Listen mate, what if we help and don’t tell anyone. Would you let us? We could steal some healing supplies from Snape’s stores.”


Snape’s quill halted. What gave Weasley the right to contemplate stealing from his stores? And for healing supplies? He needed to figure out what was going on. As much as he hated the trio, knowing they wanted to steal healing supplies was heavily concerning. As a teacher he couldn’t let that pass without further inquiry. Especially if a student was injured and hiding it which could be the only explanation.


He stood, dramatically making his way around his desk to start class and determined to keep a sharp eye on the group throughout.


“Heads forward. Mouths shut.” Waving his wand at the board, a set of instructions appeared. “We’ll be making coloring potions today. These have varying uses from decorating to disguise. You will make the potion but you will not use it on anything in this room, including yourselves.” He said with a stern glance through the room. “I will not tolerate chatter but you will work with your table partner. Begin.”


Once everyone was back to their seats Snape began stalking around the room, making harsh comments here or there and insulting progress in time to avoid explosions when needed. Class passed in a relatively peaceful manner, as peaceful as a third year positions class could be. Soon students were bottling their potions to hand in. Snape made his way back to his desk to collect the given assignments.


“Potter. Weasley. Stay behind.” He said just as the two were packing their things to leave.


——————————————


Harry gave a wary glance to Ron who looked just as nervous as he felt. Hermione turned to the both of them.


“I’ll let Professor McGonnagal know you’ll be late.” She said before sending Harry another glance and striding out. He could tell she was mad at him for not talking to them but he couldn’t deal with that right now. Once the room was cleared of students they made their way towards Snape’s desk.


Snape stood to lean against the front of his desk, crossing his arms and giving his most menacing glare.


“What is this about stealing from my stores?”


Both students’ eyes went big. “Nothing sir. We aren’t going to take anything, really.” Ron said quickly.


“Is that so? Because I believe I heard you suggest you were going to steal healing supplies from me not two minutes before class started.” Stalking closer to the two boys he leaned down to eye level. “I find this most concerning as we have a fully equipped hospital wing in the castle and I require an explanation immediately.” He met both of their scared gazes before backing up.


There was silence for several seconds before Ron glanced between Harry and the professor, biting his lip. Harry turned towards Ron, noticing his conflicted motion. “Ron don’t.” He said with sudden panic written all over his face.


Ron met his gaze ignoring the onlooking potion’s professor. “Harry he’s a teacher. I know none of us get on but he’s got to have some kind of duty to help hasn’t he? And frankly mate you’re really worrying me.”


Snape gazed between the two. “Mr. Weasley is correct. If someone is injured, as I presume they are by your chosen items to steal, I need to know. I cannot in good conscience let that go unattended. Regardless, neither of you are leaving this room until I hear an explanation. I don’t have class for another two hours… no hurry.” He said in a casual tone as if he could stand there all day waiting for one of them to speak.


Snape continued to look between his two students, noting the heavy conflict from the Weasley boy and catching as Potter’s breaths became short, his eyes glazing slightly looking like he would rather be anywhere else.


With hollow tone, Harry gave another effort to sway Ron. “Ron please don’t.” He said, not even meeting Ron’s gaze this time. “He hates me remember?”


Ron opened his mouth to speak but Snape beat him to it. “Contrary to how it may appear, I do not hate you Mr. Potter.” The air in the room seemed to stand still as if no one, including Snape, had expected that response. Clearing his throat to break the tension Snape turned back to Ron. “Explain.”


Ron cast a quick glance over to Harry. “I’m sorry Harry.” Was all he could get out before Harry, clearly in a state of panicked shock, slowly moved with his back against the side of the nearest potions table, sliding to sit on the floor. His hands came to rest over his head as he curled in on himself. He did not want to listen. This can’t be happening is all his internal dialogue would say.


Both of the room’s other occupants cast him a worried look before Ron continued. “Uhm… I’m worried about him.” He paused, hating to betray his friend but knowing he had to. “Harry is always up and ready by the time anyone else is, but today he was up later than normal.” He cast another glance at Harry. “I walked into the bathroom this morning and he hadn’t put his shirt on yet and well… his back is a mess professor and he won’t tell me what happened or go to the hospital wing.”


Snape stood processing this new information for several seconds. He turned to the curled up boy against the potions table. “Mr. Potter stand up.” His voice lacked its usual bite.


Harry took several deep breaths before slowly standing to face his friend and teacher, not meeting either of their eyes.


“Please remove your shirt.”


At this Harry looked up with wide eyes. He quickly shood his head. “No thank you professor. Ron’s exaggerating, really I’m fine.” His voice shook slightly to his annoyance.


Snape looked back towards Ron, thinking.


“Mr. Weasley go to class, inform Professor McGonnagal that Mr. Potter is with me and will miss the rest of her lesson.” He said with authority, hoping Ron wouldn’t argue.


Ron stared at Harry before nodding his head and turning, leaving the room quickly.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3938