Changing Perspectives by m1dnight_sky
Summary: When Snape overhears a conversation between the Golden Trio minutes before potions class, information about Harry Potter's home life is brought to light. Can Snape and Harry overcome their differences for the sake of healing and Harry having some semblance of a positive mentor/father figure in his life?


*I do not own these characters or Harry Potter!*
Categories: Healer Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione, McGonagall, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind
Genres: Angst, Canon, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: Story
Tags: Abuse Recovery
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 6737 Read: 2093 Published: 15 Apr 2024 Updated: 16 Apr 2024
Story Notes:

This is my first attempt at a long-ish fanfic. I'll update fairly regularly, at least once a week, until I'm done with the story. I have no idea where the story will go from here to be honest. I have some ideas but just making this up as I go. Let me know if you're interested in beta-reading and I would love comments!

WARNING: mention of rape

1. Chapter 1 - Accidental Discoveries by m1dnight_sky

2. Chapter 2 - Potions Class and Confrontations by m1dnight_sky

3. Chapter 3 - Changing Perspectives by m1dnight_sky

4. Chapter 4 - Reluctant Explanations by m1dnight_sky

Chapter 1 - Accidental Discoveries by m1dnight_sky

It was only a week until he would be back on the train to Hogwarts for his third year. Only a week. Harry knew from experience to be extra good this week so his Uncle wouldn’t leave any visible marks. He still had the accumulation of marks from the past several weeks but was lucky that none of them were visible. He could do this. He had been sent back home after blowing up Aunt Marge and things had gone downhill from there.


“BOY!”


Harry’s head popped up from where he was weeding the back garden. He ran inside to where his aunt stood just inside the front door. “Yes Aunt Petunia?”


“Start fixing dinner, your uncle will be home shortly and I want it on the table.”


Harry nodded and headed towards the kitchen. I can do this, he thought. He knew he couldn’t afford any more open belt wounds or worse. He just had to make it to the train.


——————————-


The week went by as smoothly as it could with the Dursleys. Harry managed to scrape by pretending he didn’t exist and avoid all encounters possible with his relatives. Soon enough Harry found himself avoiding rumors of him fainting on the train and becoming immersed in classes. He was surprised that Dumbledore seemed to actually hire a decent defense professor this year and he found himself enjoying classes more simply to avoid other thoughts running through his head. He found himself losing sleep from nightmares of the events of the summer and that haunting scream he heard on the train with the dementors more nights than not.


It was on a rare occasion of peaceful sleep about a week into classes that he found himself waking up later than normal. Sitting up in his bed he grabbed his glasses and wand casting a quick Tempus. With a groan he realized he only had about ten minutes before his dorm mates started waking up. Even in his first year he was known to wake and shower before everyone else even got up. He always used the excuse that he was an early bird but in reality he didn’t want anyone seeing his scars.


Hurriedly he grabbed his school robes and headed towards the bathroom, unaware of a stirring Ron. Harry showered quickly, wincing at the pain it caused to his injuries, and was just grabbing his shirt to finish dressing. He didn’t hear the door open behind him.


“Harry?”


Harry froze for a split second before his brain started running double time. He pulled his shirt on and held it closed in the front before turning around. Putting on his most neutral expression he met Ron’s gaze.


“Hey, wake up early?”


Ron just stared at him with wide eyes full of shock and concern. Harry knew he still had open wounds and bruising on his back and all he could do was hold his shirt closed so Ron wouldn’t see his chest as well.


“Harry what happened to your back?” Ron asked, narrowing his eyes in concern.


“I don’t know what you’re talking about Ron.” Harry said, his internal dialogue playing a repeat of deny deny deny.


Ron shook his head. “Harry I saw just now, you’re hurt.”


Harry’s heart was racing. He had always managed to hide himself. No one had ever seen or suspected. Even Quidditch injuries happened after his body had a chance to heal from the events of the summer so the few residual scars could be explained away as accidents. But this? He didn’t know how to get out of this one so easily.


Sighing, he put on his best unconcerned and reassuring face. “Ron it’s fine really, it’s nothing.”


Ron continued to stare at him with that concerned expression, further confirming to Harry that he wasn’t getting out of this one with passing denial.


“Harry really that’s not nothing. What happened to you? Why haven’t you gone to Madam Pomphrey?”


“I don’t need to go to Madam Pomphrey, it was an accident really. It’s not a big deal. Leave it. Please?” He put on his best pleading face hoping Ron would drop it.


Ron sent him an appraising look, noticing Harry looked extremely uncomfortable with the subject he decided to drop it for now, but only until breakfast where he could get Herioine to knock some sense into Harry and hopefully get him to the hospital wing. Shaking his head slightly he conceded, “Ok, but this discussion isn’t over.”


Harry let out a shaky breath as Ron turned towards the sinks. He quickly buttoned up his shirt and did his tie, fleeing the room. He didn’t even wait in the common room like he usually would for Ron and Hermione to walk to breakfast, instead fleeing as fast as he could towards the main doors. He needed some air and to think.


Reaching the doors he hurried through them, pacing in circles just out of sight of anyone passing by towards the Great Hall. Running his hands through his hair he did everything he could to calm himself down and prepare to play it off as not a big deal. Inside however was complete panic.


———————————


Making his way inside a good twenty minutes later, Harry took a breath before entering the Great Hall. As soon as he entered he saw Ron and Hermione just sitting down, huddled in serious conversation. Harry groaned internally. Of course Ron had to tell Hermione. Now what am I going to do?


Walking over to the table he quietly sat down across from his friends. Hermione was the first to meet his gaze.


“Harry are you hurt?” She asked, reaching her hands out towards him on the table.


Harry grabbed the closest food item and sent a gesture of waving off the question. He really hoped to come across as nonchalant. “I’m fine Hermione, really. Ron’s exaggerating.” He sent a glare towards Ron.


Hermione didn’t look convinced. “Harry you know you can talk to us right? Were you’re friends,” she said gesturing between Ron and herself, “We just want to help. We won’t judge you.”


“There’s really nothing to talk about. And what do you think there would be to judge? Really. It’s no big deal can we just drop it?” Harry said holding back his frustration.


“Harry, mate, what I saw wasn’t some small injury. We’re just worried. We just want to help! Would you go to Madam Pomphrey at least?” Ron said with clear rising concern in his voice.


Harry could hear his heart in his ears. He knew he didn’t have an excuse that either of them would buy and he knew they weren’t going to drop this. “It’s really not a big deal and I don’t appreciate being interrogated.” He grabbed a biscuit off the table and speed walked out of the hall, not up for more conversation with his friends at the moment.


As he made it out the doors he stopped at an alcove, leaning against the wall to take a few deep breaths. He had to get them to drop it but he didn’t know how so for now, that meant avoiding them.


After a few moments to calm down he realized he didn’t even have his bag for class. Dreading double potions this morning he reluctantly made his way back up to his dorm to get his things.

To be continued...
Chapter 2 - Potions Class and Confrontations by m1dnight_sky
Author's Notes:

Please let me know what you think so far and any comments!

Once Harry got his books he ended hurrying through the halls towards the dungeons. If he didn’t get to class relatively early he knew he’d end up at the front table which would leave him open to more ridicule from his potion’s professor than he was up for. He entered the classroom that was slowly filling with students and sat towards the back at his usual table. Not two minutes later Ron and Hermione came to join him. Harry met their gazes, seeing that they had no intention of dropping the subject from breakfast.


Hermione turned around from her seat in front of Harry and started talking in quiet tones. “Harry really, we’re not trying to upset you, we’re just concerned.”


“I don’t need your concern, everything is fine!” He said in quiet frustration.


Ron gave Hermione a look. “Listen mate, what if we help and don’t tell anyone. Would you let us? We could steal some healing supplies from Snape’s stores.”


At that comment Harry looked up at Ron before glancing at Snape at the front of the classroom. “Are you out of your mind Ron? He’s right there!”


Just at that moment Snape decided to speak up. “Heads forward. Mouths shut.” Waving his wand at the board, a set of instructions appeared. “We’ll be making coloring potions today. These have varying uses from decorating to disguise. You will make the potion but you will not use it on anything in this room, including yourselves.” He said with a stern glance through the room. “I will not tolerate chatter but you will work with your table partner. Begin.” And the room scattered, gathering ingredients.


———————————


Snape was sitting at his desk marking what turned out to be an awful attempt at an essay by a first year Gryffindor when the Golden Trio entered class. Normally he would do his best to ignore the insufferable brats but the looks on Granger and Weasley’s faces alone caught his eye as he glanced towards them entering. Not wanting to draw attention to the fact that he intended to eavesdrop on their chatter, he lowered his head again, appearing to continue his markings.


“Harry really, we’re not trying to upset you, we’re just concerned.”


“I don’t need your concern, everything is fine!”


Now this was intriguing… the famous trio arguing. Snape silently wondered what Dumbledore’s Golden Boy had done to concern his friends.


“Listen mate, what if we help and don’t tell anyone. Would you let us? We could steal some healing supplies from Snape’s stores.”


Snape’s quill halted. What gave Weasley the right to contemplate stealing from his stores? And for healing supplies? He needed to figure out what was going on. As much as he hated the trio, knowing they wanted to steal healing supplies was heavily concerning. As a teacher he couldn’t let that pass without further inquiry. Especially if a student was injured and hiding it which could be the only explanation.


He stood, dramatically making his way around his desk to start class and determined to keep a sharp eye on the group throughout.


“Heads forward. Mouths shut.” Waving his wand at the board, a set of instructions appeared. “We’ll be making coloring potions today. These have varying uses from decorating to disguise. You will make the potion but you will not use it on anything in this room, including yourselves.” He said with a stern glance through the room. “I will not tolerate chatter but you will work with your table partner. Begin.”


Once everyone was back to their seats Snape began stalking around the room, making harsh comments here or there and insulting progress in time to avoid explosions when needed. Class passed in a relatively peaceful manner, as peaceful as a third year positions class could be. Soon students were bottling their potions to hand in. Snape made his way back to his desk to collect the given assignments.


“Potter. Weasley. Stay behind.” He said just as the two were packing their things to leave.


——————————————


Harry gave a wary glance to Ron who looked just as nervous as he felt. Hermione turned to the both of them.


“I’ll let Professor McGonnagal know you’ll be late.” She said before sending Harry another glance and striding out. He could tell she was mad at him for not talking to them but he couldn’t deal with that right now. Once the room was cleared of students they made their way towards Snape’s desk.


Snape stood to lean against the front of his desk, crossing his arms and giving his most menacing glare.


“What is this about stealing from my stores?”


Both students’ eyes went big. “Nothing sir. We aren’t going to take anything, really.” Ron said quickly.


“Is that so? Because I believe I heard you suggest you were going to steal healing supplies from me not two minutes before class started.” Stalking closer to the two boys he leaned down to eye level. “I find this most concerning as we have a fully equipped hospital wing in the castle and I require an explanation immediately.” He met both of their scared gazes before backing up.


There was silence for several seconds before Ron glanced between Harry and the professor, biting his lip. Harry turned towards Ron, noticing his conflicted motion. “Ron don’t.” He said with sudden panic written all over his face.


Ron met his gaze ignoring the onlooking potion’s professor. “Harry he’s a teacher. I know none of us get on but he’s got to have some kind of duty to help hasn’t he? And frankly mate you’re really worrying me.”


Snape gazed between the two. “Mr. Weasley is correct. If someone is injured, as I presume they are by your chosen items to steal, I need to know. I cannot in good conscience let that go unattended. Regardless, neither of you are leaving this room until I hear an explanation. I don’t have class for another two hours… no hurry.” He said in a casual tone as if he could stand there all day waiting for one of them to speak.


Snape continued to look between his two students, noting the heavy conflict from the Weasley boy and catching as Potter’s breaths became short, his eyes glazing slightly looking like he would rather be anywhere else.


With hollow tone, Harry gave another effort to sway Ron. “Ron please don’t.” He said, not even meeting Ron’s gaze this time. “He hates me remember?”


Ron opened his mouth to speak but Snape beat him to it. “Contrary to how it may appear, I do not hate you Mr. Potter.” The air in the room seemed to stand still as if no one, including Snape, had expected that response. Clearing his throat to break the tension Snape turned back to Ron. “Explain.”


Ron cast a quick glance over to Harry. “I’m sorry Harry.” Was all he could get out before Harry, clearly in a state of panicked shock, slowly moved with his back against the side of the nearest potions table, sliding to sit on the floor. His hands came to rest over his head as he curled in on himself. He did not want to listen. This can’t be happening is all his internal dialogue would say.


Both of the room’s other occupants cast him a worried look before Ron continued. “Uhm… I’m worried about him.” He paused, hating to betray his friend but knowing he had to. “Harry is always up and ready by the time anyone else is, but today he was up later than normal.” He cast another glance at Harry. “I walked into the bathroom this morning and he hadn’t put his shirt on yet and well… his back is a mess professor and he won’t tell me what happened or go to the hospital wing.”


Snape stood processing this new information for several seconds. He turned to the curled up boy against the potions table. “Mr. Potter stand up.” His voice lacked its usual bite.


Harry took several deep breaths before slowly standing to face his friend and teacher, not meeting either of their eyes.


“Please remove your shirt.”


At this Harry looked up with wide eyes. He quickly shood his head. “No thank you professor. Ron’s exaggerating, really I’m fine.” His voice shook slightly to his annoyance.


Snape looked back towards Ron, thinking.


“Mr. Weasley go to class, inform Professor McGonnagal that Mr. Potter is with me and will miss the rest of her lesson.” He said with authority, hoping Ron wouldn’t argue.


Ron stared at Harry before nodding his head and turning, leaving the room quickly.

To be continued...
Chapter 3 - Changing Perspectives by m1dnight_sky
Author's Notes:
I know I know you probably want to hear explanations. That will be next chapter! You'll hear the whole story about Harry's summer and maybe an apology from Snape ;)

 

As soon as the door was closed Snape turned back to face the boy in front of him. Taking a moment to study him he realized how young the boy appeared. He was always sending insulting comments towards him but in front of him now did not stand the spawn of his school enemy. In front of him now was just a scared teenager who wouldn’t meet his eyes.

 

Snape tapped Harry on the shoulder to get his attention off of the floor, noticing the flinch as he did so. “Come Potter.” He said before striding towards the door to his office.

 

Harry sullenly followed, raising his head only enough so that he could tell where he was going.

 

Once in the office Snape quickly transfigured a chair into a small table resembling that of an exam table. He then waved his wand to close the doors, sending a silent locking charm at them in case Harrt decided to run.

 

Again studying the boy he could tell he would need to be gentle, resembling a side of himself that Potter had not seen before. There was no room for error here if he wanted to learn why his friends were so concerned.

 

“Potter, I need to see you back.” He said calmly, hoping the the lack of an audience would garner a more willing response.

 

Harry didn’t raise his head. “No sir, it’s fine really. Can I just go to class now?”

 

Snape moved his other office chair to sit in front of the boy. “Mr. Potter, I think we both know that you are not leaving this room until I assess your injuries and hear an explanation. You can either let me look at them or I can call Madam Pomphrey down here, but you will explain. So, what will it be?”

 

Harry took several long breaths, knowing he was stuck but not knowing what the best option was. If Snape got Madam Pomphrey down here then there was another person to gawk at him and pity him but then again… this was Snape he was contemplating talking to. What could really be worse than his least favorite professor finding out? Would he tell everyone? He needed answers before deciding the best option.

 

Grabbing hold of all the Gryffindor courage he could he met the professor’s gaze. “If I show you and answer your questions will anyone else have to know?”

 

Snape looked at the boy with an assessing gaze. “I would only inform, at most, the Headmaster, your Head of House, and Madam Pomphrey. I am not one to spread rumors amongst teenagers.”

 

Not breaking away eye contact Harry thought for a moment before speaking.

 

“Would I have to do this with any of them? Show them and explain?” He didn’t want more people to have to see or hear an explanation from him. He had never told anyone and couldn’t believe he was even contemplating confiding in his potion’s professor but seeing as he didn’t really have a choice… one person was better than several.

 

“No. I would only share pertinent information. You won’t have to talk to or show anyone else.” Snape could see where Harry’s mind was at even without the use of Legillimency. It was quite clear that the boy wasn’t comfortable sharing this with more people than necessary and he wasn’t about to risk him shutting down by making him talk to more than just himself.

 

Harry took another few moments to assess the information given to him. Could he trust the professor? Did he really have a choice? Snape had always been able to tell when he was lying and he didn’t think any lie could explain away his current injuries. One thought kept going through his mind- Telling one person is better than having to tell several. So he had his decision.

 

“You.” He said, watching his professor. “You can look and I’ll answer your questions if no one else has to see.”

 

Snape was not surprised by this response but still didn’t quite know how to respond to the lack of argument. Potter had accepted the situation with much less fight than he would have expected. Although, he did give him little other choices. He nodded and motioned for Harry to remove his shirt. As Harry undid the buttons he turned to gather supplies he expected he would need. However, nothing could have prepared him for the sight that met him as he turned back around. Sitting there, no longer meeting his eyes, Potter was covered in bruises and scars. He could tell the scars were a collection of both old and new and bruises were similar in that they were at various shades of healing. He could clearly see handprints around the boy’s neck as well as at his hips. There was also deep purpling around his ribs. He stood there with wide eyes, not hiding his expression nearly as well as he usually did.

 

Harry looked up when he could tell his professor had been standing still for several seconds. Sheepishly he commented, “Ron only saw my back.” As if that would somehow help matters. His comment however, did kick the potion’s master into motion.

 

Snape stalked back over to the makeshift table Harry was sitting on with the supplies he had gathered, setting them down beside Harry. “Stand up for me and turn around so I can see.”

 

Harry did so, unsurprised when he heard Snape take a sharp inhale. He knew his back was worse than his torso. Open wounds from his Uncle’s belt scattered among bruises.

 

Snape was in a state of shock. He didn’t know what to think of the boy. He was usually good at spotting abuse cases among the students but this was unexpected. He composed himself quickly and tapped Harry’s arm, again noticing the small flinch at the contact. “Turn around and sit.” He instructed.

 

Harry sat back on the table and looked at his professor. Snape seemed more mellow than he had ever experienced. There was not even a hint of hatred in his tone. “I need you to drink a few potions.” He said as he started sorting through the supplies he had set down. He handed Harry several potions in succession. “This is for pain. This is skele-grow just to be safe. With your permission I would also like to run a diagnostic charm before I do much more to make sure there are no internal injuries. And this one is a stomach soother so the other potions stay down.”

 

Harry took all of the potions as Snape was talking. “What does a diagnostic charm show?” He asked, hoping it wouldn’t show his entire medical history.

 

“There are different forms of diagnostic charms. The one I want to run on you would just assess your current physical state. More in-depth versions would show a complete history of illnesses and injuries. That may be required in the future but I’d like to heal your current issues first.” Snape replied, hearing the worry in Harry’s voice.

 

Knowing he would like to not be in any pain Harry decided to agree to the simple diagnostic charm. Snape ran his want over Harry’s body in a complex pattern and a sheet of parchment appeared in the air. Once done, he took the sheet and read over it quickly.

 

“You don’t have any injuries I can’t fix. You do have two bruised ribs but the potions I just gave you as well as some bruise salve should mostly clear that up. It will take a day or two for them to heal completely. You’ll have to come get another potion from me tomorrow.” He said as he set the paper aside. Meeting Harry’s gaze he spoke seriously. “I’m going to have to use a few spells on the open wounds which will sting and I’m going to have to touch you to apply salve. As it appears that you only have bruising below the waste I can instruct you on the correct way to apply the salve on your chest and give you some salve to take with you to do your legs privately. Does that sound alright?”

 

Harry’s face was wary as he listened to his professor. He was grateful that Snape would let him see to some injuries himself but he still didn’t like the intimate nature of healing. “Can’t I do all of it myself with your instruction?” He asked, knowing the answer would likely be no but hoping anyway.

 

Snape held eye contact, seeing the slight fear in Harry’s face. “You can’t reach your back. I’ll have to do that.” He said, pausing to consider the boy’s question. “However, if you follow my instructions, you can do most of your chest yourself.” Harry nodded to this.

 

Noting the boy’s acceptance, Snape motioned for Harry to stand up and turn around. Pointing his wand at his back he warned Harry of the incoming spell before closing the open wounds. “Would you rather I heal your back first or do you want to do your chest?” He asked as Harry’s scarred and bruised back still faced himself.

 

“You can do my back.”

 

Snape gathered the salve in his hand and started gently applying the salve, not wanting to cause any more pain than necessary.

 

Harry didn’t like the contact. He stood there with his hands braced on the table in front of him, waiting for Snape to be done. If it wasn’t for the stomach soother he would’ve felt nauseous. Although he knew Snape wouldn’t hurt him the contact to his bare skin reminded him too much of memories he tried not to think about. Soon enough though Snape was tapping his shoulder to get him to turn around. He took a deep breath before complying.

 

Snape noted the pale look of the boy’s face and his worry grew. “Are you alright?” This was not a question he ever imagined asking the Potter spawn, but here he was, asking it anyway.

 

Harry looked up at the question, swallowing hard and nodding. “Can we just finish this?” He reached to take the jar of salve from Snape’s hand, wanting to do the rest himself.

 

Snape let him take the jar but not before he took an amount of salve that would allow him to instruct Harry on how to apply it before letting him do the rest. Harry watched as Snape instructed him the proper application and then Snape watched to make sure the boy did it correctly. He reluctantly let Snape help him with the hand marks on his neck since he couldn’t see those himself. Lastly, Harry set the jar down and shimmied his trousers slightly down his hips, revealing the full hand marks at his sides before setting the jar down again and reaching for his shirt.

 

Snape held out a hand to halt his movements. “Don’t put that on yet. The salve needs to soak in and will dye your shirt. I’ll get you a towel.” He said before waving his wand to summon a large towel from who knows where and laying it across the boy’s shoulders. He also transfigured the table back into a chair and motioned for Harry to sit. He himself sat in front of Harry.

 

“Who did this to you?”

 

To be continued...
Chapter 4 - Reluctant Explanations by m1dnight_sky
Author's Notes:

Here, we get the story of what happened to Harry!

Last time: “Who did this to you?”

Harry fiddled with his hands to avoid his professor’s eyes. “Do we really have to do the explanation part sir? I mean I’m here now, it’s fine.”

Snape studied Harry. He could tell this wasn’t going to be easy even though he had previously agreed to explain. He knew he was going to have to ask pointed questions, and Harry’s response led to the first one. “So this didn’t happen at Hogwarts then? It happened over the summer?”

Harry looked up. “What?”

“You said you’re here now, it’s fine. That indicates this happened over the summer. Is that correct?”

Harry considered the question. He wondered if he should just be honest with the professor but he didn’t know how to explain everything that had happened, he had never told anyone. Of course Ron and Hermione knew some of it, being his best friends. And the twins had seen some as well when they broke him out before his second year. But no one knew what really went on in the Dursley household. He decided he would give as little detail as he could while still being truthful because if he lied he would never get out of that office, he was sure of it.

“Yes.” Was the only response Harry was going to give without further questioning.

Snape raised his head to the ceiling, taking a breath. This really would be like pulling teeth. He decided to get the question he hoped had an affirmative response out of the way. “Did you get in a fight?”

“No.”

Well… there goes the easy answer. Snape knew he would get a no to that question just from the belt marks on his back but one could only hope. Abuse cases were never easy, especially considering his own childhood and who this child was in front of him. He had never been kind to Harry and he didn’t like being wrong in his assumptions about people.

“Did your relatives do this to you?”

Harry knew this question was coming but still wasn’t prepared to actually answer. Instead of giving a verbal response he stared at the wall behind Snape’s head and nodded.

Snape took a minute to watch the boy and process that nod before continuing. “Was it one relative in particular or all of them?” He asked, hoping to get more than one word out of Harry.

Harry continued to stare at the wall. He opened his mouth as if to answer but shut it again. He didn’t want to actually articulate what they had done. After a moment of contemplation, he decided it was best to give a brief outline and hope that would be the end of his interrogation.

“Aunt Petunia never did much except swing a frying pan at me every once and a while. Dudley hits me sometimes.” He paused, looking back down at his hands. “Uncle Vernon is the worst though.”

Snape nodded, considering what next to ask and keeping a neutral expression through the anger rising within him towards the Dursleys. “The marks on your back, they’re from a belt?”

Harry hung his head even lower, curling in on himself slightly. “Yes.”

“And those are hand prints on your neck and hips?”

“Yes.”

“Your Uncle did that?”

Again… “Yes.”

Snape had known this was the case but he wanted an answer from Harry to be sure. He didn’t know how best to get the boy to open up about what exactly had occurred for him to acquire these injuries. He knew Harry was unlikely to answer such an open ended question as he was about to ask but he had to try.

“Can you tell me what happened when you got those injuries? What took place?” He asked as gently as he could. Being gentle was not in his nature but he tried to treat Harry like he would a Slytherin in this moment instead of seeing Harry Potter.

Harry’s head shot up and his eyes narrowed. “Why do you even care what happened? I told you who did it why does it matter how exactly it happened? You probably wouldn’t believe me anyway. You never do believe me.” He said with a hint of growing anger in his voice.

Snape was taken aback by the sudden change in attitude. “I care because it’s my job to care and I have told you I’ll listen.” He also raised his voice, letting some of his frustration with the situation show. Potter always had the amazing skill of riling him up. Snape never expected that Harry might lost his temper after how quiet he had been but that’s exactly what he did.
Harry locked eyes with the professor, anger continuing to build. All thoughts of saying as little as possible flew out the window. “Oh you care because you’re a teacher and it’s your job to care about the students… sure… not like you’ve ever cared before so what start now? After all I’m just Pampered Prince Potter, couldn’t have a better life. That’s what you think isn’t it professor? Well let me tell you, Prince Potter doesn’t exist. Prince potter wouldn’t have lived in a cupboard for ten years. Prince Potter wouldn’t have thought his name was Boy or Freak until he started school. Prince Potter wouldnt have bars on his window or be fed through a cat flap, when he gets to be fed at all, because he’s locked up. Prince Potter’s Uncle wouldn’t beat him and ra–” Harry cut himself off, breathing heavily and merely standing at this point but unwilling to admit any more than he had once he realized what he was about to say.

After a few breaths he spoke again, sounding tired. “Prince Potter doesn’t exist.” At this he lowered his head to stare at his feet.

Snape stared with wide eyes processing everything the boy had just said in his explosion. He reached out a hand hoping to calm the boy and get him to sit back in his chair but it just startled him into flinching. He drew back his hand and took a breath before speaking.

“Harry.”

Harry’s head shot up to meet Snape’s eyes. Knew that would get his attention, Snape thought as he met Harry’s gaze.

“I think I owe you an apology.” He said simply because with everything that had happened in the last hour Snape’s perspective was drastically shifted. No longer did he see an arrogant, spoiled, Potter spawn. He saw a scared boy who’s attitude was a defense mechanism against perceived threats and he didn’t want to be one of those threats any more.

Harry looked like he has just seem the Headmaster dance the macerana. “What?” There was just no way Snape, Potions Master of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, was apologizing to him, Harry Potter, Boy-Who-Lived. No way.

Snape rolled his eyes slightly at the complete shock on the boy’s face. “I said I owe you an apology. I am capable of giving them where they’re called for and I think you deserve one.” He paused to let that sink in.

“Why?” Harry asked, still confused. His professor had first been oddly nice during healing him, not throwing any insults or jabs and now he was apologizing. Harry was sure he had entered an alternate reality.

Snape took a breath. He knew he would have to be careful what he told the boy. After all, he was a former spy who might have to take up his role again at any moment. Cautiously, he spoke. “I have to keep up certain… appearances, for reasons I cannot tell you. I knew I couldn’t be seen by certain parties to be friendly with the Boy-Who-Lived when you came to Hogwarts.” He met Harry’s eyes, ensuring he was still listening. “However… I did not have to take things as far as I did. I did not have to so openly insult your character and make assumptions about your life based on my own biases. For that, I apologize.”

Harry was shocked. What did Snape mean he had to keep up certain appearances? He was shocked at the apology and wanted to know more.

“Certain appearances?”

Snape did roll his eyes that time. “Did I not just say I couldn’t tell you what for? Maybe one day, if you need to know. But for now just know that I can’t be seen to like you in public, but that doesn’t mean I don’t.” He left it there hoping the boy wouldn’t ask any more questions about his feelings.

Unfortunately, he wasn’t that lucky. “Did you just say you like me? You’ve got to be kidding.” Harry seemed to have forgotten completely about his outburst and confessions just minutes before in favor of pursuing this new information about his professor.

Exasperated, Snape sighed. “We are straying from the topic at hand Potter. I still have a few questions for you.” Accepting that he wasn’t going to get a response to his apology but noting that the boy didn’t seem to outwardly reject it.

He still neede more information in response to what Harry had confessed, even if it was uncomfortable for both of them. It was important to know how damaged the boy was if he was ever to help him. “You said you lived in a cupboard?”

Harry looked away at that. “Yes. So what?” He said defensively.

“Potter I’m not trying to upset you but it’s important I know these things and it might help you to talk about them.”

Harry huffed, stopping to think for a minute about Snape’s words before nodding that he could continue with his questions. Still, he didn’t meet the professor’s gaze.

Snape accepted that he would be likely to only get a few more questions in before Harry would stop answering all together. He had to be strategic with what to ask, so he went for what was most important to know but most difficult to ask.

Taking a breath, he too looked away, not ready to hear what he knew would come from his question. “Did your Uncle ever touch you?”

Harry cringed. “I don’t want to talk about that sir.”

Snape took another breath, thinking of a better approach. “Harry.” He said, again causing the boy to look up at the unfamiliar use of his given name. “I need to know whether to run a diagnostic for sexually transmitted diseases. You cut yourself off earlier, and you said he left those handprints on your hips… How far did he go?” He asked, trying to give the boy a logical reason for asking the question so as not to freak him out.

Harry just stared at his professor for a long time. He eventually spoke, all tone gone from his voice. “Run the diagnostic.” That in an of itself was answer enough to what had occurred.

Snape nodded and pulled out his wand as a distraction from the nearly blinding rage he felt on Harry’s behalf. He ran the spell. Thankfully, all came up negative.

He met Harry’s eyes again. “No diseases.”

Harry let out a breath he didn’t know he was holding. He didn’t even consider that disease could be a possibility until just that moment but he was overwhelmingly relieved he didn’t have to deal with that on top of everything else.

Both wizards sat for several seconds processing the conversation.

Snape spoke again. “Is there anything else I should know about?” He didn’t know what else he could ask after Harry’s outburst several minutes earlier. Unless the boy brought forth more information he wouldn’t pry further.

Harry sat as if contemplating his question. Eventually he shook his head. There was nothing else he was willing to talk about. Snape didn’t need more detail then he already had.

Snape nodded at this, slowly moving to sit on the edge of his chair and make closer eye contact with the boy. “I know we have never gotten along and I know we can’t be seen to publicly… but my door is always open if you need to talk. I would encourage you to think about it.”

Harry stared into Snape’s gaze and nodded. This was new territory for the both of them. Snape had dealt with abuse cases before but had never offered an open door to another student. Deep down he knew it was because of his vow and for Lily. And Harry had never had an adult who seemed willing to listen.

Once Harry had put his shirt back on, balm now dry, Snape led him towards his office door sending him off to what would now be lunch. Harry took a few steps before turning, looking as if he was conflicted by what he was about to say.

“Thank you professor.” He then turned around and walked towards the Great Hall.

To be continued...
End Notes:

This is where the made-up story in my head ended, but I will definitely be expanding it! Look for updates soon!



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3938