The Invisible Hunter by Perry
Summary: Harry is returning to Hogwarts for the summer when an attack occurs.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: Dumbledore, Original Character, .Snape and Harry (required), Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 18314 Read: 64719 Published: 22 Oct 2002 Updated: 10 Jan 2014
The End by Perry
Author's Notes:
The final chapter!

Chapter 16: The End

Snape stared in horror as Voldemort lifted the potion to Harry's mouth. Without a second thought, he reached to his boot and grabbed the portkey. No one seemed to notice his movements, all eyes on the potion, now touching the lips of a struggling Harry.

"Spinner's End," Snape whispered to the portkey, beginning its activation. Then he made, in his opinion, a bloody Gryffindor type of move. He lunged towards the Dark Lord and punched him in the side of the face, falling into Harry with the force of his body. The pull at his navel that started as soon as he spoke, suddenly tore them into the air and back down onto a hardwood floor.

Snape sat up immediately and looked around, relieved to see Voldemort had not been pulled along with them. And that the portkey had worked at all. He tried it the first night in the woods, but the Dark Lord had apparently gotten the barriers up almost immediately after they arrived. 'Thank God we crossed the barrier at some point.' He didn't even want to imagine what would have happened otherwise.

He turned to Harry, lying face down on the floor, not moving. Snape didn't know if the potion made it down the boy's throat.

"Potter," Snape murmured, as he moved to turn Harry over. No response. There was a feeling of fear gripping Snape's heart. He didn't know the antidote. No one knew it. If Harry had ingested the potion, their only hope would be that it didn't work. After all, there were no recorded test subjects. It was a myth. Maybe the potion in that vial did something completely different. Though, if Voldemort truly had retrieved it from the Department of Mysteries, he was sure it couldn't be anything good.

Suddenly Harry jerked and moaned. "Noooo..no I don't...I don't want..." Snape grabbed Harry gently by the shoulder and turned him over. His eyes were clenched shut in pain.

"Harry." Snape shook him slightly. "Harry, did you drink the potion?"

Harry moaned, tears starting to fall down his cheeks. Then he opened his eyes. Snape stared in utter dismay. The emerald green was slowly fading, pushed out by a churning, furious black.

"Yes," Harry managed to force out. Then the green disappeared completely.


Harry didn't have time to think about it. The potion was in his mouth, sliding down his throat. He didn't even get to enjoy Snape punching Voldemort in the face, or realize he was no longer surrounded by Deatheaters. Everything began to feel numb. His heart didn't feel right. It felt cold and distant, no longer a part of his body. Then the potion reached his brain and the pain began. And the terror. He could feel it taking over, ripping his thoughts to shreds. His memories began to fade, where was he from again? Then he didn't even care. The thing in his brain, destroying it, left one part alone. His desires. A family, he remembered he wanted one. His friends, though he couldn't say who they were. Snape. Wait, who? Snape. He remembered that name. In fact, he remembered that voice. It was saying his name right now. Harry. Wait, no. Was he Harry?

Then it happened. He remembered now why he was afraid. He began to feel an overwhelming need to hurt. To kill. He saw brief glimpses of faces. Lucius Malfoy. Voldemort. But they faded immediately. Anything. Anyone. He wanted so badly to kill. No! He wouldn't. Oh but he wanted to. Needed to. He opened his eyes. Snape. No, he can't. He can't kill him. Not Snape. Not now.

Harry struggled with the desires rising within him. He didn't want to be this monster. But it was useless. He couldn't hold on any longer.

"Yes."

He finally lost grip on his remaining feeling, fear, as he saw Snape fade from view.

Now he must kill.


"Harry!" Snape held a now lunging Harry down by the shoulders. "Harry! Please. Be in there still." Snape couldn't take it, Harry was too good to be turned into this. "Damn it!" Snape shouted as he struggled to keep Harry down. The thing that had taken over Harry, it was a monster. Black eyes stared fiercely at Snape, a crazed yet empty look to them. He was panting heavily and making odd, unnatural sounds.

This was the complete antithesis of the boy. Voldemort had taken away his life. This was worse than death for Harry. "And for me," Snape admitted to himself.

Snape glanced around. They were currently on the floor in his living room. He knew Voldemort would check here very soon. He no longer had his wand, having been disarmed along with Harry. So he would have to do this wandless. Snape looked back and stared directly into the dark eyes.

"Legilimens."

It was completely dark. There were no memories. Nothing. Snape moved forward, anger building at Voldemort with each step. Then out of nowhere a force blew him backwards. Everything suddenly turned a violent shade of red. A strange pulsing color. Snape began to feel the overwhelming desire within him. Not to kill, necessarily. Just a feeling of strong need. His continued to move forward, his steps becoming slower, as though moving through deep snow.

"Harry!" The pulsing red flickered briefly. "Harry, I know you're still here." Something to the right caught his eye. A figure curled up on the ground. Snape headed towards it and bent down. It was Harry. He looked much younger. His eyes were closed and his skin had a grey tint to it. Snape put a hand to his wrist. Ice cold...and no pulse. Snape looked around, but there was nothing besides red in every direction. He turned back to Harry and pulled him up into his arms.

"Harry, I'm...sorry. I admit I have not treated you fairly. You can be insufferable, most times, but you mean well. I wish I could say the same for the actions I've taken in the past. You are a much better man than I. Than most, in fact."

Snape sat holding Harry, thinking. He knew he couldn't stay much longer, but he couldn't bring himself to give up.

"You can fight this Potter. You're still here. Where's that ridiculous Gryffindor thorn in my side. Merlin knows you've made it through everything else. You can't leave us now."

Snape stared down at Harry, willing him to wake up, yet he remained still.

"Damn it, Potter! Wake the bloody hell up!"

Snape thought he saw Harry's arm twitch, but he didn't have time to consider it. A sharp pain ran across his back and immediately he was on the floor in Spinner's End, hands pressed against Harry's shoulders and a fresh wound pouring blood from his back.

"You really must stop trying, Severus. Harry Potter is no longer. Now he is my new pet. Fitting, seeing as he killed my previous one." Voldemort was standing in the doorway, flanked by two deatheaters. "And don't think I've forgotten your gracious parting gift to me. I must return the favor. Crucio."

Severus barely registered the words Voldemort continued to direct towards him. Insults most likely. The pain seemed as if it grew with every breath. He writhed on the floor, trying not to scream. Then it was over. His vision was blurred and he couldn't move. He saw movement next to him. Voldemort was speaking to Harry now, summoning him. Snape looked over, taking deep gulps of air. Voldemort was holding out Harry's wand to him. Harry moved slowly towards him, walking in a twitchy, hunched way. Snape felt completely defeated, as Harry took his wand and turned his gaze to Snape and...winked. Snape stared in shock, wondering if he had imagined it. Then wondering how the boy could be so utterly ridiculous all the time. He didn't wonder much longer as Harry spun around, sending a disarming spell towards Voldemort and the Deatheaters. It hit the smaller Deatheater, sending him backwards into the wall. His wand flew to Harry who didn't waste any time casting a second Expelliarmus. This one headed towards Voldemort, who stood unmoving in the doorway, eyes full of rage. He easily deflected the spell towards the other Deatheater, throwing him across the room.

"Harry Potter. Why is it," Voldemort began taking slow steps forward, "you always manage to evade my every move." Harry backed up until he was standing next to Snape who was struggling to get to his feet. Harry dropped the Deatheater's wand he'd acquired next to him, hoping Snape was well enough to at least cast some shield charms.

"I think," Voldemort continued, "it's time to die." With that he raised his wand, shouting, "Avada Kedavra!"

Harry yelled, "Protego!", and felt a slight bit of relief when he heard Snape saying it along with him. He didn't think his one shield would be enough to block out a powerful and angry Dark Wizard, but it seemed Snape's, though slightly weak, did the trick. Voldemort's curse deflected, hitting the wall to their right.

"Sectumsempra!" Harry jumped. Snape had thrown the strange curse and immediately bolted to the left. Harry looked back to Voldemort, unsure if the spell had made contact. Then he noticed blood seeping through the robes on Voldemort's left arm. Voldemort only glanced at his arm momentarily before throwing another curse towards Harry, who dove quickly behind the couch. He looked around for Snape and saw him running a wand over one of the bookshelves. 'I hope that's a secret passage,' Harry thought. He looked around the couch slowly to see Voldemort murmuring something, his wand pointing to his left arm. Harry desperately wanted to attack him, but he knew it wouldn't do much good and only attract attention back to himself. Suddenly he saw the bookshelf swing open out of the corner of his eye, revealing a fireplace. Snape pointed the wand towards it and it burst into sputtering, green flames. He turned to Harry, nodding. Harry scrambled out from behind the couch, keeping low. Voldemort started hurling curses at Snape, who was trying to throw some floo powder in the fireplace. Harry started sending spells towards Voldemort. He blocked them easily, but it took his attention away from Snape for the second needed to throw in the powder. The fireplace briefly flashed gold and Dumbledore stepped out.

Harry almost collapsed in relief. Snape grabbed him by the arm as Dumbledore engaged Voldemort in a wordless duel. "Harry, get in the grate." He dragged Harry with him, grabbed some floo powder and suddenly Harry found himself on the floor of Dumbledore's office. Snape helped him up, then collapsed into a chair. He looked up at Harry, "The Dark Lord will not be able to follow us. Only those trusted by Dumbledore can enter that floo." Harry found a chair and sat down, exhaustion pouring over him. He was worried about Dumbledore. They had just left him there. He looked over to see Snape staring at him. "Professor Dumbledore will be fine Harry. He is much more powerful than he often acts."

Harry felt only slightly better. Dumbledore was the only wizard Voldemort feared, but that didn't mean he couldn't be hurt. Or defeated.

Harry sighed, letting his head rest against the back of the chair. He would be asleep if not for the adrenaline still coursing through him.

Harry looked back over to Snape. "Um, thank you. For saving me. A lot."

Snape turned to him. "And thank you for coming to my aid as well, Potter."

"Yeah. I, uh, I'm glad you're okay."

They sat in silence for awhile, Harry trying to find the words, and courage, for what he wanted to say.

"I don't...I, uh, I heard you. After drinking the potion. You know, in my head or whatever." He looked over at Snape. "And I don't think I would have fought it without you. And you...meanalottome." He rushed out the last part, feeling incredibly awkward.

Snape stared hard at the boy. Mainly he was surprised, he thought Harry only saved him because of his hero type nature. He didn't believe it was because he cared. Especially after all he put the boy through at Hogwarts. Snape wasn't sure what to say. He stared at the strange golden trinkets Dumbledore liked to keep on his desk.

Harry put his head back, looking up at the ceiling. Snape still hadn't spoken. Maybe Harry had misunderstood. Maybe it was only the exhaustion and fear that made him say those things in his head. Harry suddenly felt very sad. He had hoped that maybe Snape would, well, be there for him now? 'God,' Harry thought, frowning. 'I'm such an idiot. What an awkward thing to say. Plus Snape thinks I'm insufferable. Why does it even matter.'

Snape looked back at Harry, noticing his frown. "Potter." Harry turned towards him. "I stand by what I said. You...matter to me as well."

Harry's face broke out into a huge grin. Snape smirked. "But don't think this means better grades in my class. Your work is abysmal."

Harry chuckled. "You know, Professor, you have a pretty good right hook."

Snape raised an eyebrow. "Your acting performance was very impressive as well."

Harry looked confused for a second, then smiled in realization. "Oh! I was just trying to look like Quasimodo. I gave him some crazy eyes too. It was actually making me pretty dizzy."

Snape snorted. "Only you Potter, could manage the ridiculous in such a dire situation."

Suddenly the floo flashed green and Dumbledore stepped out. Snape sat up. "He escaped. I contacted Kingsley to come collect the two Deatheaters." Dumbledore looked tired, but unhurt. "I'm sorry to say that your home might need a few repairs Severus."

Snape seemed to smile slightly, shocking Harry. "It's fine Albus. I'm hardly there anymore as it is."

Dumbledore turned to Harry. "I'm glad to see you both here and safe. I would very much like to hear what happened, however, I think we should take you to the hospital wing and let you rest." He smiled warmly, resting a hand on Harry's shoulder. "I'll contact Remus and Sirius, Harry, let them know you're back and safe. I'm sure they'll be here by tonight. Now, Let's floo to Madame Pomfrey. I'm sure she'll be very happy to see the both of you." He gestured Harry towards the fireplace, letting him step through first. Snape started towards it, but Dumbledore put a hand out to stop him.

"Thank you Severus. Your bravery continues to astound me. Lily would be proud."

Snape paused for a moment. "I hope so, Albus." Then he stepped into the fireplace. "But don't think I'm any sort of bloody Gryffindor." Snape spat out the word Gryffindor, then vanished into the flames, leaving a chuckling Dumbledore behind.

The End.
End Notes:
There you have it. The end. It doesn't feel complete to me, however. But anything more would just be drivel. I do think it might require a sequel though. I have a lot of other things I need to focus on at the moment, but we'll see. Part two might be making an appearance eventually. Thank you all for reading! I hope you enjoyed it. I appreciate all the reviews and follows over the years. After 12 years, it feels a little strange finally finishing this. But also very good.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=426