The Invisible Hunter by Perry
Summary: Harry is returning to Hogwarts for the summer when an attack occurs.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: Dumbledore, Original Character, .Snape and Harry (required), Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 18314 Read: 64702 Published: 22 Oct 2002 Updated: 10 Jan 2014
Denial Hallucinations by Perry
Author's Notes:
For those who were wondering, Occisor is Latin for murderer. Here are some of the other word meanings from the last chapter. Sorry, I forgot about it until now.

*Caedes- carnage (this is from the Caedes Arrow in chapter two, what Harry was hit by)

*Infectum reddere- annul, make void (this was the potion Snape used on Harry for the arrow wound)

Disclaimer: J.K. Rowling owns Harry and everything having to do with him.

Now, on with chapter 3!

Harry slowly opened his eyes. Sunlight streamed in through the windows causing him to squint. He reached over to grab his glasses and his hand smacked into to something greasy. Harry jerked his hand away and turned to see what it was. He jumped in surprise at the black blur, banging his head on the metal bedpost.

Harry groaned loudly not only from the lump forming on his head, but at the lump sitting next to him.

‘Was he here all night? Probably didn’t want to be, Dumbledore must have put him up to it.’

Harry turned and picked up his glasses and put them on. He looked back at Snape again.

‘Wow, he looks almost human without that sneer on his face. He sure is a heavy sleeper.’

Harry decided to sneak out and see if he could find Dumbledore. He knew he should probably stay, but he didn’t want to be around when Snape woke up.

He slowly swung his feet out of the bed and onto the floor. Then he tried to be as quiet as he could while moving towards the door.

Just as he reached the end of the bed he started to feel a little dizzy. Spots danced in front of his eyes.

Harry couldn’t focus on where he was going and tripped over the bed leg. He grabbed frantically at the air to keep from falling. His hand succeeded in finding a tray of empty glasses and the whole tray came down with him. The glasses must have been enchanted because they didn’t break, but they sure did make a lot of noise.

‘So much for being quiet’ Harry thought to himself.

“Graceful Potter, you should think about a career as a ballerina.”

Harry turned and glared at Snape trying to think of a good comeback. All he managed was an annoyed grunt.

Snape smirked.

Before Snape could say anymore Dumbledore walked into the room.

“I see you’ve finally woken up Harry, how are you feeling?”

Harry, who was still sitting on the floor, blushed and slowly got up.

“I’m fine. Just a small headache.”

“That’s wonderful. Now I expect you want to know what happened?”

Harry nodded in reply.

“Well, why don’t you two get dressed and come up to my office. There are a few people there who want to talk about this too.” Dumbledore said as he left the room, “and Severus? Please wait for Mr. Potter before you come up. Thank you.”

Snape frowned. ‘He has that twinkle in his eye again. What is he up to?’

“Can you move any slower Potter?” Snape said to Harry who was still standing in the middle of the floor.

“Oh…sorry.” Harry walked to the bathroom and changed into some clean robes.

‘What is Professor Dumbledore doing? Does he think if Snape and I are together long enough we’ll start to bond or something?’ Harry let out a snort of laughter at this. ‘Like that’ll ever happen,’ he thought as he walked out of the bathroom.

“Took you long enough Potter, are you ready now?”

“Yes.”

They started on their way to the Headmaster’s office. Harry had to run a bit to keep up with Snape’s long strides. They were only about half way there when Harry started to feel a little weird. At first he thought he was going to be sick, but then he realized his stomach felt fine. Then he noticed his hand. His fingers were slowly starting to fade. Harry started to panic.

‘What’s wrong with me, is this some kind of potion after-effect?’

Harry’s vision started to get blurry and his steps slowed.

Snape turned to snap a rude comment to Harry and found he wasn’t there.

“Potter, what are you doing?!”

He hurried back towards where he had come from and found Harry leaning against a wall.

“Potter, can you not go anywhere without making a scene?”

Harry looked up at Snape. “No, I guess I can’t. Does your potion have any after-effects?

“No, I don’t believe it does. Why?”

Harry glanced at his hand; it was solid.

“Oh, I just felt a little weird, I’m probably just tired. I’m fine now though, it doesn’t matter.”

He didn’t want Snape to think he had gone insane and started to see things, so he decided to just keep his mouth shut.

Snape stalked off leaving Harry hurrying after him. They didn’t say another word until they got to the statue of the gargoyle.

“Peppermint” Snape told the gargoyle. It slid open and they started up the stairs. Before Snape could knock on the door it flew open.

“Severus, Harry, I’m glad you’re here so soon.” Dumbledore greeted them.

Snape and Harry entered the room. Harry noticed that all the head of houses were there along with someone else.

“Professor Lupin!” Harry started towards him, but was knocked to the ground. A slobbery tongue started licking his entire face.

“Uggh, stop it Snuffles.” Snuffles got up and transformed. “What, aren’t you glad to see me?”

Harry laughed and hugged his godfather. “Of course I’m glad to see you, but I’ve already washed my face today.” Harry glanced around the room. “It seems everyone here knows about you, so can I call you Sirius now?”

“Of course!” Sirius got a worried look on his face. “How are you feeling Harry?”

“I’m fine Sirius, no need to worry.”

“Oh, but there is something to be worrying about,” Professor Dumbledore added, “It seems some things need explaining. How about you two sit down and we’ll begin.”

Harry sat down in an empty chair next to Professor Lupin, but only had time to give him a quick smile before Dumbledore started to talk.

“Now, I’m sure you have been wondering about what happened to you Harry?”

Harry nodded in reply.

“Well, it seems I’ll have to start from the beginning. Sixteen years ago when Voldemort was still in power, a creature was created by a death eater for Voldemort’s use. This creature was named the Occisor, which is Latin for murderer. The death eater designed the Occisor to be a hunter and obey Voldemort’s command. The Occisor was very powerful. It had various methods of killing and a useful ability, invisibility.

Voldemort used the Occisor to kill hundreds including some of his own if he was not happy with them.

The Occisor was most known for his tricks. They were horrible tricks too. He had the ability to make others like himself, invisible. People were disappearing everywhere you looked. They were terrible times.”

Color drained from Harry’s face as he stared down at his seemingly solid hand. ‘Maybe I wasn’t imagining it, maybe the Occisor somehow got into the hospital wing and cursed me.’

Lupin was looking at Harry strangely and Harry quickly realized he must have looked weird examining his hand so closely. He gave Lupin a smile and turned his attention back to Dumbledore.

“The problem was that no one knew what happened to the people after they disappeared. Several spells were cast to try and figure it out, but the victims were never seen or heard from again.”

Harry gulped. ‘I really hope my eyes were just playing tricks on me.’

“The Occisor also used poisonous arrows, that was what you were hit by Harry. It would have most likely killed you if Professor Snape had not made the correct potion for you.”

Harry glanced over at Snape in surprise and saw he was smirking.

Dumbledore smiled slightly and continued.

“About around when you were born Harry, the Occisor was finally captured using a special binding curse that kept it visible. With the help of a few others I was able to banish it, but it seems it didn’t stay that way.”

“How is that possible?” Lupin questioned.

Dumbledore sighed. “It seems that someone, who I assume to be Voldemort, has found a way to bring it back.”

A few in the room winced slightly at the mention of the Dark Lord’s name.

“What are we going to do then?” Sirius asked, “If we can’t see the Occisor, how are we going to be able to get rid of it? It could be anywhere! It could be in this room right now!”

“That is why I have gathered you all here, I need every one of you researching this.” Dumbledore replied calmly. “Meanwhile, we need to stay on our guard and lock the door of any room you are in. Though it might not help, it is a precaution. Harry will need to stay with someone for his safety. I’m afraid he can’t stay with me because I am not around my rooms very often.”

“Can I stay with Sirius and Professor Lupin?” Harry asked hopefully.

“I’m sure that can be arranged. You will most likely be staying in some of the extra staff rooms we have then.” Dumbledore answered.

Harry grinned. He’d feel a lot safer with his godfather and professor.

“Now I want you all to be very careful, for all we know the Occisor could already be inside the school. I will see you all at dinner.” Dumbledore finished.

All the teachers got up and headed out the door, Harry following Professor Lupin and Sirius.

“I’m so glad to see you again.” Harry said to Lupin and Sirius.

“I’m glad to see you too Harry, I’ve really been worried about you.” Lupin replied.

“So what are you doing now Professor Lupin?”

“Well, I’m going to be seeing you more often this year.” Lupin hinted.

“Are you teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts this year?”

Lupin nodded. “Professor Dumbledore couldn’t find anyone he trusted enough to do the job except for me. He figures the students will probably be jumpy around me for a while, but he needs me here.”

Harry nodded as his anger toward Snape rose. It was his fault Lupin had to leave in the first place.

“Well here we are.” Sirius said as they stopped in front of a portrait of a tall man with a long beard. He was wearing all brown including his large hat and carrying a staff. ‘He looks a lot like Professor Dumbledore.’ Harry noticed. ‘I wonder if he’s related to him?’

“Mellon.” Sirius said. The portrait swung open and they stepped in. Harry noticed it looked a little bit like the Gryffindor common room.

“Do all the professors live here?” Harry asked.

“Yes, all except the Heads of houses, they have their own quarters near their house.”

Lupin replied.

“I’m guessing all your stuff was already brought to your room by the house elves Harry.” Sirius said. “Do you all want to go to dinner now, I’m getting a little bit hungry.”

“You’re always hungry Padfoot.” Lupin commented. He turned to Harry. “You better watch out Harry or he’ll eat all the food of your plate when you’re not looking.”

“Hey!” Sirius punched Lupin in the arm. “You better watch what you eat tonight Moony!” Sirius threatened with a mischievous grin.

Harry grinned. It felt good to be around his godfather and Lupin again. He just hoped things would stay this way for a while.

They made there way to the Great Hall, though very slowly because Lupin and Sirius kept tripping each other, all three of them laughing the whole way, while being watched silently by something hidden in the shadows.

The End.
End Notes:

That’s all for now! Did anyone get the portrait thingy in front of the staff rooms? It was supposed to be Gandalf from LOTR. He looks a lot like Professor Dumbledore. Has that whole “wise and gentle, but dangerous” thing too. The password was also from the part in the book/movie where they come to the door to the Mines of Moria with the riddle on it, the “Speak Friend and Enter” one. Well, mellon is what they say to get in. It’s elvish for friend. Get it? Anyway, most of you are probably wondering where Snape is in all of this, but I’m getting there. Sorry this chapter is so boring. More excitement in the next chapter for sure! More Snape too! Please review!

-Perry ^^



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=426