Strange Empathy by BlackEyedGirl
Summary: Sometimes a few words are all it takes to change how you think of someone. And sometimes the people you thought could never understand are the only ones who can. Complete! New from Chapter 6
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 31266 Read: 90495 Published: 09 Feb 2005 Updated: 27 Jun 2005
Healing Old Wounds by BlackEyedGirl

‘Cursed creature!’ Severus Snape hissed angrily at the snowy owl that had disturbed his silence. The owl seemed unperturbed and waited patiently. He finished the paper he was marking and rose from his desk. Striding in aggravation to the window he pulled the letter from her. Then, with a soft hoot, she flew out the open window. He was thankful for the return to quiet. Unfortunately upon unrolling the parchment he was forced to disrupt it again.

‘Now he’s not even content simply to torment me in term-time?!’ he cursed into the air. The scrawl was instantly recognisable. It was, after all, one that he had spent five years writing over with scathing comments in green ink.

‘Damn boy probably just thought of more reasons I was responsible for the mutt’s death.’

Yet he scanned the text nonetheless, curiosity overriding the desire to simply cast Incendio. What he read caused him to sit back heavily on his couch and reread it again slowly:

Professor Snape,

I know you won’t expect, or believe, this but I just want to apologise for what happened last year. For blaming you for Sirius dying, and for what happened before. I’ve thought about what happened a lot this summer, and I’m sorry I went into your pensieve. I don’t think I explained, but I did believe that the Order was hiding something from me. That was why I looked. And I meant what I said, I didn’t tell anyone. Except Lupin and Sirius who knew anyway. I was hoping they could explain what had happened, suffice to say the answer was closer to your interpretation of my father than the usual one. I’ve been bullied before, so I know what it feels like. I don’t mean that this entitles me to sympathy from you. But I won’t tell anyone, so don’t worry. And I am sorry. For what they did. And what I did.

Harry Potter

‘Well that wasn’t exactly expected,’ he murmured. He folded the letter and gazed thoughtfully out the window.

****************

It was one month after Potter’s surprising declaration and this would be the first time Severus would see him since. Speaking to a large group of people who distrusted him wasn’t the ideal setting for it but he obeyed the Headmaster. Dumbledore had called an Order meeting at 12 Grimmauld Place to allow him to outline what he had learnt and he decided to arrive early to talk to Harry about the next year. Opening the door he wondered at the lack of people. With a sigh that was almost relief he spotted Mrs Weasley.

‘Professor Snape! I’m sorry, I didn’t hear you come in,’ she exclaimed.

‘It’s of no consequence,’ he answered coolly, ‘but I will admit it is unusual.’

‘Oh I know, we’re just having a minor crisis,’ she replied in a rush.

‘Surely it is either a crisis or it isn’t. They’re seldom minor.’

She laughed nervously, unsure whether she was being mocked. ‘Well in that case it’s not a crisis. But we have lost Harry.’

‘I would have imagined that was impossible. The house is only so big. Unless he’s left it?’

‘No, no. The wards won’t let anyone leave without the incantation. We just can’t find where in the house he is.’

‘Again, I must confess I find that unlikely.’ At that point Hermione and Ron came down the stairs at a run. Both pulled up abruptly, Hermione with a small gasp. ‘Miss Granger, perhaps you can enlighten me. How exactly did you manage to lose Potter? Surely someone of your … abilities can use a charm to find him? ’

‘Well…’ she began carefully, ‘we’ve been studying hard of course. And we were trying out some of next year’s charms. The Obscure Sagit? Which works, of course you know this, almost like a secret-keeper or the Unplottable charms. So you can only be found by someone who knows where you are. We think maybe he’s cast it.’

‘Has Potter been acting in a manner which you find strange? Stranger than usual at any rate,’ Severus asked, making Ron bristle in anger. Snape watched this with mild satisfaction but was still undoubtedly curious.

Hermione placed a restraining hand on Ron’s arm. ‘He’s been acting like someone in mourning. Which isn’t at all strange. I suppose he hasn’t been sleeping well, he’s very quiet. But that’s normal.’

‘Much as I am loathe to call Potter quiet…So you taught a boy who’s obviously troubled a charm that allows him to hide. Hardly the act of supposedly the most intelligent student in Hogwarts.’ She blushed deeply and this time it was Ron who placed the calming hand. Snape wondered abstractly if the blatancy of the attraction was part of what had driven Potter to hide.

The girl recovered and answered. ‘We just wanted to be ready for next year. It’s important that we stay focused, Harry especially. The charm could help him hide if necessary, which is more important than us being worried.’

He reluctantly inclined his head at the logic. But…

‘He does own an invisibility cloak.’

‘Which anyone can summon if they know he’s in the room,’ she countered.

‘Very well. The charm works so that if you look, genuinely believing him to be there, he will be revealed, yes?’ She nodded and he went on, ‘so why haven’t you found him? You two should have the best idea of where he would be.’

‘We’ve looked!’ Ron exclaimed. ‘In our room, the girl’s room, all the living rooms and the kitchen. He’s not easy to find.’

Severus stood at the base of the stairs considering what he should do. The others looked on expectantly. A thought came into his head, a ridiculous one, but one that needed dispensed with nonetheless.

‘You’ve looked in Black’s room I assume?’ he asked distractedly. At the confused expressions he refocused. ‘No?’ He shook his head and muttered, ‘I’m surrounded by imbeciles.’

‘The place is a practically a mausoleum,’ Mrs Weasley explained. ‘Remus won’t let it be touched.’

‘Which would be a very good reason for the boy to go there. Honestly woman…’

Ron was getting agitated again but Hermione nodded in sudden understanding. ‘Of course! I’m sorry professor, we weren’t really thinking.’

‘Apparently not.’

He walked up the stairs, with Mrs Weasley directing him to Black's room. Opening the door he looked towards the bed and a body flickered into focus. Harry was asleep with the duvet pulled to his face. His eyes had dark circles below them and tears clung to his lashes. Severus had loathed Black, but he had seen what Harry’s relatives were like. No child should have to suffer a second loss like this. And lying on the bed, trying to gain comfort from ghosts, Harry looked just that - a child. Hermione and Mrs Weasley looked stricken but Ron moved towards Harry to wake him.

‘Wait,’ Snape halted him. ‘There’s no point in wakening him before the meeting.’

‘We’re going to the meeting?’ Hermione asked.

‘Professor Dumbledore has decided that, yes. You seem to end up in the middle of events anyway, no matter how hard those in authority try to prevent you.’ Hermione smiled carefully and Ron grinned but his mother sighed deeply.

He felt an uncommon urge to reassure her. ‘I assure you that you won’t be involved in any operations. This is just to keep you informed.’ They nodded and started to walk out, presumably to squeal together privately.

As Hermione passed, he put a hand out. ‘Miss Granger, if you are to attend my class next year I would advise you to go beyond the set texts. Although I’m sure that’s not something I need to tell you.’

‘No Professor.’

She was all seriousness and respect, and he resolved suddenly that after five years in his class she deserved one compliment. ‘Congratulations by the way.’ He smirked inwardly at her confused look and continued. ‘You topped the year. Draco is cursing you loudly to all and sundry.’

She smiled brightly up at him in surprise and he favoured her with a slight softening of features. They left the room and Severus heard her excited murmurings as the two continued down the hall. Mrs Weasley smiled worriedly at him and walked out. He took parchment and quill from his pocket and wrote a brief note before leaving.

Harry woke up feeling, if not exactly well, then better than he had for some time. With a curious look he picked up the scrap of parchment that had been laid carefully beside him.

Mr Potter,

I received your letter. Remember to clear your mind before sleeping and talk to Miss Granger about the books you should read. I’ll see you in Occlumency and Potions next year. Congratulations on your O.W.L.s.

Professor Snape

Breathing deeply as if some of the weight had been lifted from his shoulders Harry got up and walked downstairs. Entering the meeting room, which was now almost full, he threw an encouraging, if shy, smile towards the man who was tensely preparing his address. With a slight nod Severus acknowledged him, turned to his audience, and began to speak.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=452