Strange Empathy by BlackEyedGirl
Summary: Sometimes a few words are all it takes to change how you think of someone. And sometimes the people you thought could never understand are the only ones who can. Complete! New from Chapter 6
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 31266 Read: 90498 Published: 09 Feb 2005 Updated: 27 Jun 2005
Always playing the hero by BlackEyedGirl

‘Harry?’

‘Yeah?’

‘Can we talk to you?’ Hermione asked, with Ron hovering beside her.

‘Okay …’ Harry answered in confusion. He walked over to where they sat in the common room.

‘Ron says he didn’t see you come in last night.’

‘I was at Occlumency. You know we run late.’

‘We saw Snape outside Dumbledore’s office an hour before we went up,’ Hermione said, as neutrally as she could.

‘I was practicing on my own for a while.’

‘I thought you said it was fine now.’

‘I still need to practice, Hermione.’

‘Until Ron’s asleep?’

‘Will you just ask me about whatever it is you think I’m doing?’

‘I don’t know what you’re doing, Harry. Maybe you just don’t want to talk to us? Or maybe you’re wandering around the Forbidden Forest trying to get yourself killed?’

‘I was just practicing. That’s all. I spend six nights in seven with you two. I’d have thought you’d be thankful to get some time without me.’

‘What’s that supposed to mean?’ Ron asked.

‘It wasn’t supposed to mean anything. But you’re acting as if I never spend time with you anymore.’

‘We just want to know what you do every time you have Occlumency. You didn’t spend that long last year.’

‘I wasn’t doing it right last year.’

‘Well no, but …’

‘Ron, I promise if there’s ever anything you need to know, I’ll tell you. Now, I promised Hagrid I’d go down and see him tonight.’

Ron moved as if to stop him, but Hermione pulled him back.

‘Okay. We’ll see you later, Harry.’

‘Yeah.’ Harry walked to the Portrait Hole and turned for a half-second. ‘Thanks Hermione.’ He left quickly.

‘What was that all about?’ Ron asked.

‘What?’

‘We agreed we were going to find out what was going on.’

‘We were just upsetting him. There is something, but he’ll tell us when we need to know.’ She ignored Ron’s disbelieving snort and silently prayed that she was right.

*********

A few hours later the entire school was disturbed by the magically enhanced voice of Albus Dumbledore.

‘Students, please proceed quickly to the Great Hall. There is no need to panic.’

The booming stopped and the Gryffindor common room was in uproar.

‘Right!’ Hermione shouted. ‘Everybody calm down. Professor Dumbledore said there was no need to panic.’

‘Exactly,’ Ron agreed. ‘Just walk quickly down to the Hall. Dumbledore’s a bloody genius anyway, he’ll make sure everything’s alright.’

The Gryffindors were less panicky now. They climbed out of the Portrait Hole and walked swiftly to the Hall. In the mass of people Ron placed a hand on Hermione’s arm, so he wouldn’t lose her.

‘That was good,’ he assured her. ‘Head Girl stuff.’ She smiled up at him.

‘Thanks.’ As they walked into the hall she looked around. ‘Ron, where’s Harry?’

‘He’s not here?’

‘I don’t see him.’

Dumbledore’s voice came across the room, ‘everyone sit down please. The castle is protected by some very powerful magic, and I assure you that we are perfectly safe. There are Dementors on the school grounds.’

He waited for the distressed mutterings to quieten.

‘They will not gain entry into the castle. But there are students not inside the castle, and their names are about to appear on this wall. If you know the whereabouts of one of these students, please inform a Professor.’

Along the back wall an invisible hand traced the names of four Ravenclaw fifth years, one Hufflepuff second year, two Slytherin fourth years, and then it paused.

Harry Potter

There was instant bedlam.

‘Silence!’ Dumbledore called. ‘As I said, if anyone knows the whereabouts of these eight pupils, please tell one of your teachers.’

‘Professor McGonnagall!’ Hermione caught the attention of their Head of House. ‘Harry was at Hagrid’s, he should be back by now.’

‘I know,’ she replied in concern. ‘Hagrid is already here and Harry left his cottage half an hour ago. The Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs have been accounted for but the two Slytherins and Mr Potter are still missing.’

Hermione failed to notice the flash of concern on the face of the blond at the table across from them. Draco Malfoy closed his eyes and felt out the connection.

Harry was standing at the edge of the Forbidden Forest. Behind him lay the missing Slytherins and Draco could just make out their breathing. In front of Harry stood the things he was trying to protect them from. Five Dementors, with their trailing cloaks and rattling breaths, were advancing towards them. Harry reached out with his wand.

‘Expecto Patronum!’ A pure white stag galloped at the Dementors.

Draco’s breathing quickened. There was only one of Harry and he was trying to defend himself and two Slytherins stupid enough to be wandering around the Forbidden Forest late at night.

‘Professor!’ Draco’s sudden call startled Severus.

‘Yes, Draco?’

‘A word please?’ He had recovered his composure and left the table gracefully. Severus followed him to the side of the room and realised that he hadn’t calmed down at all.

‘What is it?’

‘I know where Harry is. And Theo and Alex.’

‘They’re all in one place?’

‘Theo and Alex must have been near the forest. The Dementors came when Harry was walking back from Hagrid’s. Theo and Alex must have been close to where they came in and Harry, of course, had to go play hero.’

‘Draco? Where are they?’

‘A few metres into the forest down the path nearest the lake.’

‘Thank you.’ Severus quickly turned to tell the Headmaster.

Draco called him back, ‘He’s in trouble. They can’t cast the Patronus Charm. They’ve fainted and he’s trying to help them first.’

‘The Professors are going now. If you don’t have any other desire to hold us up?’

‘You could help. If you got into his head.’ Severus looked at him thoughtfully.

‘Thank you, Draco. Go and sit down now, you look ghastly.’ Severus strode to the High Table and relayed the information swiftly. As the Professors hurried towards the spot Draco had identified, he sent a feeler along the connection.

Draco was right. Harry stood, shakily now, between the Slytherins and Dementors. Severus felt the energy the boy was putting into defending his mind from the darkness. It was draining him, making it harder to maintain his Patronus. Severus turned his real eyes to Dumbledore, pacing confidently beside him, power evident in his every movement. Snape sent Harry a force that felt like lemon drops and protection and trust. Harry jolted at the sudden strength. He smiled confidently, throwing all his power into driving the Dementors away. An unusual feeling came upon Severus, both being within his own head, and feeling himself appear alongside Harry. He broke the visual connection, leaving the protection.

Dumbledore’s fury seemed to drive the Dementors away even before the spell. Harry looked on the scene blearily, muttered, and fainted into Snape’s arms.

‘What did he say?’ Dumbledore asked.

‘He said thank you.’

*********

‘What are you doing?’ Harry asked his visitor, who appeared to be rummaging among the things on his hospital table.

‘Looking for something decent to eat,’ Draco answered. ‘Apparently wandering around the castle in the middle of the night, in the freezing cold, is good for appetite.’

‘And all for me.’ Harry grinned. ‘There’s chocolate in my robes.’

‘Right.’ Draco resumed his rummaging in the robes hanging at the end of the bed. ‘What on earth is this?’ He threw something at Harry, who laughed.

‘This is what I was telling you about. Extendable ears. You can have it, I get sent them all the time.’

‘Thanks. Should be useful. Here.’ Draco passed half the chocolate to Harry.

‘Déjà vu.’

‘What?’

‘Nothing. Thanks by the way. For sending the Professors.’

‘Note, however, that I did not try and defend your idiot head myself.’

‘Why not?’

‘Because only you, Potter, are ridiculous enough to try magic you haven’t tested in a life or death situation. Like hanging from a broomstick for example.’

‘If I didn’t know better, Malfoy, I might think you were worried about me.’

‘For the love of …. You were nearly a Slytherin. How can you not realise that sometimes you need to do the pragmatic thing. I do the thing that makes sense at the time. It’s all about power, and you ally yourself with people because they have it, or can get it. You don’t risk your life saving fifth year Slytherins who will never repay your help.’

‘So why are you here?’

‘Are you saying you won’t repay my help?’ he asked, trying to lighten the mood.

‘I can’t give you the kind of help Voldemort can.’

‘Maybe I don’t want his kind of help.’

‘Maybe that’s not a very Slytherin thing to say.’

Draco smiled crookedly. ‘Maybe.’

There was a sudden movement at the door to the Hospital Wing.

‘Harry?’ The voices were laced with horror and confusion. It was Ron and Hermione.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=452