Strange Empathy by BlackEyedGirl
Summary: Sometimes a few words are all it takes to change how you think of someone. And sometimes the people you thought could never understand are the only ones who can. Complete! New from Chapter 6
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 31266 Read: 90495 Published: 09 Feb 2005 Updated: 27 Jun 2005
Cavorting in the corridors by BlackEyedGirl

'There are days, Potter, when I think I see you more often than I see anyone else in the school,' Draco said, attempting to look annoyed.

'And other days when you know it?' Harry quipped. He waited until Draco opened the door and then walked in ahead of him, grinning as he walked past.

Snape glared at them as they entered his rooms.

'What?' Harry asked.

'Oh yes, my Lord, Gryffindor/Slytherin relations are worsening every day, just as you planned. Except, of course, for Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy who are cavorting merrily along the corridors, hand in hand!'

'We weren't holding hands,' Harry argued.

'Or cavorting,' Draco finished.

'You might as well be for the danger it's putting the two of you in.'

'I thought you wanted us to get along?' Harry pointed out.

'Within these walls I need you to get along. With no one else around, if you wish, it could also be conducive to your work. You came in to the school last night, where anyone could see you, giggling, with Granger and Weasley.'

'How did you know that?' Draco looked concerned. 'You were seen. Luckily it was by Professor McGonagall who, while startled, is not about to betray you to the Dark Lord.'

'How did she...?'

'Mr Potter, do think. Which Professor in the school has an animagus form?

'How do you expect us to keep watch for a cat?'

'By not bringing down your concealment charms when you're walking around. I know you weren't flying around in open view. What possessed you to ignore that caution when you were walking back to your rooms?'

'Sorry, Professor.' Harry answered.

'Sorry doesn't stop some curious student asking why Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter are suddenly best friends. I am pleased that you have decided to put aside your differences for the greater good, but both of you need to exercise a little caution.'

'Is this about the dementors?'

'Which dementors, Harry?'

'The ones that broke into the school. That you promised you would find out about.'

'No, it isn't. They, apparently, were accidental. He didn't know you'd be there. They weren't meant to come here at all, but they're hard creatures to contain, without souls to feed to them anyway.' Severus paused for a moment, remembering. 'So it does relate in a way, Mr Potter. He's closer than we thought.'

Draco tilted his head. 'What do you mean?'

'Dementors reached this school from wherever he is, without being spotted. It can't be far away. So you need to be more careful. Harry has an invisibility cloak; you both know the Obscure Sagit and disillusionment charms; you know enough transfiguration to do well and Harry knows enough to fool Minerva. Between you, you should be able to devise a way to have your practices without being seen.'

'We haven't been...'

'Draco, I see no reason why you shouldn't practice defence. Nor do I see any reason why you feel the need to lie to me about it.'

'You told us not to.'

'No, I didn't. I told you not to practice where everyone could see you. You explained that you were under charms. Therefore, by all means, practice. As long as you don't come into my classes half-asleep because of it. I am slightly bemused, however, why you feel you're likely to be challenged to a duel on brooms.'

Harry and Draco exchanged a sheepish look. 'It's more fun that way?' Harry offered.

'And of course, while practicing for duelling with Death Eaters your chief concern should be how much fun you're having,' Snape replied, voice dripping sarcasm.

Harry looked indignant. 'We're still practicing. We might as well enjoy ourselves at the same time.'

'And in the process forget that, to the outside world, you are meant to be enemies.'

'No. Just forget that our professors are sneaking around as cats.'

'Harry, when the Dark Lord captures you, be sure to complain about his sneaky methods, won't you? I'm sure that will make him change his mind about killing you.'

'There are no other animagi in the school. The only person that we have to worry about is on our side.'

'Firstly, you don't know that there is only one animagi in the school, your father and his cronies ran around unregistered for years. Secondly, animagi are not your only concern, in this case the fact that Professor McGonagall was a cat had no bearing on her seeing you.'

'Okay.'

'Okay what?'

'Okay, we'll be more careful next time.'

'Exactly. Now I believe it is time to do some work. Legilimens!'


'I want a good, clean match,' Madam Hooch said sternly. She seemed to be glaring particularly at Harry and Draco. When she looked away, the two exchanged fractional smiles, aware of Professor Snape in the stands. Madam Hooch gestured towards the captains and Ron shook hands with Draco gingerly. They mounted brooms and, as they kicked off, Harry felt the usual dizzying rush. This was the last match of the year and while he still wasn't used to looking at Ron for instruction, or hearing Seamus's voice in commentary, Quidditch remained the same. Almost, anyway. He still wanted to win but he didn't feel quite the same loathing towards his opposite number on the Slytherin team.

'Ten points to Gryffindor!' Seamus called, his voice magically amplified across the stadium. 'For those who don't know, this match was moved from the beginning of the year 'cause of a few incidents between these two. The Gryffindor/Slytherin rivalry has always been fierce but in November it was so bad the match had to be called off in case someone got their head kicked in.'

'Mr Finnegan!'

'Sorry, Professor. It's true though.'

'Just commentate, Seamus, please.'

'The rearranged date means that this match is even more important as both teams won their other two matches. The winner of this match takes the cup. So someone will definitely get their head kicked in.'

'Seamus!'

Harry grinned at Seamus and turned to look at the crowd. Professor Snape hadn't been impressed when Dumbledore appointed another Gryffindor to commentate and he was glowering darkly in the stands. Returning his full attention to the pitch, Harry resumed watching for the snitch. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Draco doing the same thing. The match progressed and Harry listened to the score with pleasure as Gryffindor took, and held, the lead. Getting bored of hovering on the sidelines, Harry began flying up and down the length of the pitch trying to get a better view. At the crowd's gasp, he assumed Draco had moved first and wheeled round to throw himself into a dive. Draco was hanging precariously from his broom. There didn't seem to be any logical reason for this, or any way for Harry to right him without someone noticing. Snape's warnings ran round his head.

'Malfoy was doing some loops and looks like he lost balance. No one touched him that I can see,' Seamus said bemusedly. 'Wait, Harry's went into a dive, it looks like he's seen the snitch.'

Harry was indeed in a dive, but most of his attention was on the blond dangling in midair behind him. By the time he caught the snitch and held it aloft, Malfoy was on his broom again, a slight blush colouring his cheeks.

'Gryffindor win!' Seamus shouted, forgetting the Sonorus charm and deafening the spectators in the process. 'Sorry,' he apologised, looking at the crowd who had hands over their ears. 'The match ends 290 to 70 with Harry catching the snitch. And Malfoy's back on his broom so everyone's fine. Gryffindor take the cup!'

In the stands Hermione watched Harry curiously. If he and Draco were friends, why had he ignored him? Not that he could have done anything, but he hadn't paid any attention at all, just went for the snitch. Whatever had happened between him and Draco, she needed to know. Whether Harry thought they were safe or not.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=452