Strange Empathy by BlackEyedGirl
Summary: Sometimes a few words are all it takes to change how you think of someone. And sometimes the people you thought could never understand are the only ones who can. Complete! New from Chapter 6
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 31266 Read: 90498 Published: 09 Feb 2005 Updated: 27 Jun 2005
Taking the Fall by BlackEyedGirl

Gazing around the Great Hall Dumbledore smiled. The customary twinkle was lessened now, but he could still muster a warm look for those students who caught his eye. He nodded at Minerva McGonagall who was leading the new first years in.

‘Silence please,’ she called.

Once again he marvelled at the speed at which her simple command could reduce the rowdy hall to complete silence.

She turned towards the group of terrified looking 11 year olds.

‘After the ceremonial opening I will call your names in alphabetical order. Proceed to the front, place the hat on your head and wait for it to assign you a house.’ The attention of the school was now focussed on the tattered hat on a stool at the front. The tear opened to form a mouth and it began:

Once more I see before me

a hall filled with young minds.

And I am charged again,

to judge you and divide.

To Gryffindor, brave of heart,

and Slytherin of shrewd mind.

To Ravenclaw of intellect,

and Hufflepuff, true and kind.

Yet I know that what I do makes rifts,

leads to discord and division.

I break you up, and cause a war,

bring rivalry and competition.

Last year I warned what this could bring,

if hate and loathing led.

And since last I saw you many scarred,

some broken, some lie dead.

The Founders made me to save the school,

to stop the four from parting.

But what I do brings only pain,

a task I have no heart in.

So once more I beg for clearer minds,

and an end to splits within.

If the four cannot unite,

then Voldemort shall win.

The hall was now even quieter than when Professor McGonagall had called for silence. A slight unsteadiness in her voice was the only thing betraying her unease as she began to call the names.

‘Abagnale, Claire.’

‘GRYFFINDOR!’

The applause was muted and continued as such throughout the ceremony. As Yeates, Michael scuttled towards the Ravenclaw table and Dumbledore attempted to make his usual light-hearted (and utterly bewildering for first-years) opening the air of anticipation grew. When he called ‘Tuck in’ the noise was deafening. At the Gryffindor table however, there was a patch of contemplative silence.

‘Well,’ Hermione opened, ‘that was pretty explicit wouldn’t you say?’

Harry was still zoned out but Ron answered, ‘So if we want to beat Voldemort we need to stop fighting with Slytherin?’

‘Exactly.’

‘We’re doomed.’

‘Ron! We just need to show a little less direct animosity. Try a little empathy perhaps? No one’s asking you to become best friends with Malfoy overnight.’

‘Well good, because even if the war depended on it I doubt I could go five minutes in a room with the prat without trying to strangle him. What do you think, mate?’

Harry looked up. ‘The Sorting Hat’s right. I mean they’re not all Death Eaters. Most of them probably aren’t even supporting Voldemort. Although if you think about it, if the entire wizarding world thinks you’re dark because of your house, you might as well prove them right. Maybe that’s what happened with Snape…But because of us not trusting each other people died… Sirius died. Maybe we should try and see what happens if we make an effort.’

Hermione nodded approvingly. ‘That’s a very mature attitude Harry. I was actually reading a really interesting book over the summer about Salazar Slytherin. The author thinks that the main reason he wanted only magical-born children wasn’t purity of blood. It was to keep the wizarding world secret… and if you factor in the danger of the time…I don’t agree with him of course but you can see his point. And anyway, Slytherin and Gryffindor were best friends, he can’t have been all bad.’

‘Hermione, he wanted people like you out of the school,’ Ron protested.

‘I’m not saying he had the right answer. But they were different times, Ron.’

‘I still think he was twisted. He’s the reason this whole thing started isn’t he?’

‘Maybe,’ Harry answered, ‘but the others didn’t exactly make it better.’

Shaking his head at both of them, Ron gave up and started eating. Harry and Hermione looked at each other for a moment and then joined in.

**********

Harry rushed along the Transfiguration corridor blindly. Once again he had let Hermione drag him into a debate about some obscure charm they should learn for the DA. He hadn’t even decided whether he wanted to restart it. After last year he didn’t know if he could do it. On the one hand it would make his friends more likely to try and get involved. But on the other, with the war becoming more open, surely they would no matter what he did? Selfishly, he would appreciate their help. He knew that he would be involved anyway and it would make it easier for him to cope with Dumbledore’s prophecy if his friends helped him train. Hermione seemed to be ignoring his concern, hoping that he would get over it, and for some reason she always decided to discuss curses just before a class. Since they had different times for Transfigurations he was going to be late on his own again.

‘Filthy murderer.’ The voice came from ahead of Harry and he pulled up quickly. At the end of the corridor was a group of students, about fourth year, and one that looked much younger.

‘So tell us, what does Daddy do? Make potions for You Know Who?’ The taller Gryffindor, apparently the leader, accompanied these words with a shove.

The fourth years were Gryffindor, and the other a first year Slytherin. Harry groaned. Since the beginning of the year, despite what the Sorting Hat had said, there had been a lot of inter-house bullying. Or, more precisely, a lot of attacks on Slytherins. There had been a spate of attacks in the summer and almost everyone who came back this year knew someone who had been injured or killed. Fear in the castle was almost tangible, and it was coming out as anger. The hostility had been directed towards Slytherin House, and its younger members in particular. Harry hadn’t known that it had got this bad though.

‘No. He, he, he works at Gringotts,’ the child replied.

‘Steals our money to give to him then?’

‘No!’ Indignation was robbing the child of fear.

‘Of course he is. You lot are all like that.’ The one who appeared to be the ringleader nodded to the others who promptly blasted a lump out of the wall. They sneered at the boy and paused, waiting for the inevitable consequence of the noise.

‘Boys!’ Professor McGonagall flew out of her room, ‘What is the meaning of this?’

The Gryffindors were now doing a very good impression of being just as startled as she was.

‘We don’t know Professor, we were just walking to class and this bang came from behind us. It sounded like someone casting a curse.’ They looked in mock curiosity at the quailing boy.

‘Mr Ancheslon. Explain yourself.’

Harry looked at the boy and thought suddenly of how similar he looked to the Gryffindor first years. He couldn’t just stand there, but he couldn’t tell either. He sighed at the thought of what Hermione and Ron would say and stepped out of the shadows. ‘It was me Professor.’

‘Mr Potter?’

‘I was…hurrying to class and I was trying to practice a spell and walk at the same time. Then I tripped and the spell ricocheted. I’m sorry for damaging the wall.’

‘The wall notwithstanding Mr Potter, you could have done serious damage to these boys. I find this difficult to believe. We expect our Sixth Years to know not to act in this manner in the hallways.’

‘Yes Professor.’

‘Twenty points from Gryffindor. Now get into the classroom, we’re already late.’

‘Yes Professor.’ Harry walked in under the curious stares of the other pupils.

‘Now you four go straight to class. Explain to your teacher that you were with me. Go on now.’ She walked back in and started the class without further comment.

************

‘Harry?’ He looked up to see his two best friends hurrying towards him. Steeling himself for the questions he forced a smile.

‘Did you blow up the Transfigurations corridor?’ Ron asked.

‘No! There was a small hole and I didn’t put it there.’

At the questioning gazes he explained the whole story.

‘Why?’

‘Why what?’

‘Why’d you take the fall, idiot?’ Ron explained.

Harry had been planning this speech since he had stepped forward. He leant forward and spoke with conviction, ‘What’s the point in us saying all this stuff about courage if we let 11 year olds be bullied by our fourth years? Or saying we’re going to help win the war and then letting this stupid nonsense about us versus Slytherin go on?’

‘But …’ Ron attempted to speak.

‘Did you hear the Sorting Hat? We can’t afford to let this happen. Because I didn’t trust them, Sirius died. Other people will die if Hogwarts is fighting itself. If we do, he wins. And if we lose house points because of what I did maybe they’ll stop.’

‘I hope so,’ Hermione answered, ‘but even if they don’t, it was still the right thing to do. We’re both proud of you.’

‘Speak for yourself, we’re down by 15 points now,’ Ron moaned, unconvinced.

‘Ron!’

‘Oh, I guess she’s right. Do you think they knew why you did it though?’

‘They do now.’ Harry nodded towards the corner of the library. A huddled group of fourth years were discussing something very intently and he could see the nods in his direction and hear the hissed mentions of his name and ‘twenty points!’

************

They had assumed that it would have been enough to stop them but just two days later it happened again outside the greenhouses. Harry, Hermione and Ron were walking to Greenhouse Five when they heard it.

‘Dirty thief.’

‘Torturer.’

‘I swear, I didn’t know.’

Harry recognised this one. It was a second form Slytherin. The Daily Prophet had just reported that her father had been arrested for working for Voldemort. Surrounding her were four Gryffindors. Hermione muttered furiously at him that they were only third years. She was obviously distressed that hatred like that was possible in thirteen year-olds.

‘You didn’t know? Or just didn’t tell? Wanted your own position in the Death Eaters maybe?’ a Gryffindor demanded.

‘I swear…’ As Professor Sprout began making her way through the greenhouse to invite them in, the Gryffindor third year cast a spell breaking a pane of the greenhouse and then “fell” through it, casting another to cushion his fall.

‘Children! What happened here?’ The third year spoke up quickly.

‘She pushed me Professor.’

‘She did! For no reason, just pushed him through the glass.’

Hermione glanced at Ron and Harry. In resignation all three stepped forward. ‘It was us Professor.’

‘Miss Granger, why in Merlin’s name…?’

‘We didn’t mean to. We were messing about and we accidentally pushed into Anya. Who hit Peter, and he fell into the glass.’ As Peter stood up Hermione got out her wand. ‘Reparo. We really are very sorry Professor.’

‘I’m sorry too Miss Granger but I’ll have to take 10 points each. Fighting outside a class can’t be excused. Come along in now chaps, time to get started. Mr Forrester go and see Madam Pomfrey if you’re hurt. Otherwise go on to class.’

The third years glared at Hermione and the others as they walked in, but said nothing.

**************

‘Harry did you hear?’ Seamus, Dean and Neville ran up to him in the common room.

Hermione and Ron looked up from their books in interest as Harry answered. ‘Hear what?’

‘Well you know your crusade? Trying to stop our lower forms picking on the Slytherins?’

‘Yeah. Why?’

‘Well first off, why didn’t you ask us? After what happened last year? We’re all in. All the DA anyway.’

‘How does the DA know?’

‘We had a meeting to decide who was going to ask you to restart it,’ Dean explained sheepishly.

‘But it kind of came up,’ Neville continued, ‘and, after some disagreement,’ he looked pointedly at Seamus, ‘we think you’re right.’

‘Really?’ Harry asked.

‘We weren’t training to kill Slytherins. We’re training to fight Death Eaters. They aren’t always the same, right?’

‘Right,’ Harry agreed. He was relieved that he wasn’t alone in his opinion. They had all matured, even since last year, Neville especially.

‘Then this afternoon outside charms there were some Ravenclaws bullying a Slytherin first year,’ Neville stopped.

‘Apparently,’ Seamus joined in, ‘they have friends here who asked them to help drive the Slytherins out of Hogwarts.’

‘But,’ Dean had decided to retake his story, ‘guess who takes the blame for the misfired Incendio?’

‘Who?’ Hermione leant forward curiously.

‘Loony Lovegood.’

‘Luna?’

‘Exactly. We don’t know how she came down from her clouds either but there you go. Ravenclaw lost thirty points. And she got detention for not explaining to Professor Flitwick why she had threw flames at the wall.’

‘Why didn’t she make something up?’

‘No idea, mate. She’s in the library if you want to ask.’

‘Think I will actually. Thanks Dean. And tell whoever drew the short straw that it’ll be sometime next week, just look out for the time.’ As he hadn’t even told Hermione and Ron that he had decided to keep the DA going all five gave him looks of surprise.‘Maybe if we learnt anything from last year it’s that we need to keep training. See you all at dinner.’

Harry walked into the library and spied Luna with a group of other Ravenclaw fifth years, but still looking strangely apart from them. He sat beside her. ‘Hey Luna.’

‘Hello Harry.’

‘Why didn’t you tell Professor Flitwick something?’

‘It didn’t occur to me. Do you think I should have?’

‘Well you wouldn’t be in detention.’

‘Perhaps. But if I had said that I told him I cast the spell so he wouldn’t punish a first year who equally hadn’t cast it he would have asked who did. And we’re not doing that are we?’

‘No. I don’t think that would fix it. They’d just find another way to do it.’

‘I believe you’re right. Thus I remained silent.’

Harry looked intently at her and smiled softly. ‘Thanks anyway. It’s nice to have someone else helping.’

Spontaneously he leant down and kissed her cheek.

‘Thanks again.’ Walking out he moaned at the chorus of whispers from the other girls. ‘That’s going to haunt me isn’t it?’

***************

By the end of the week the entire DA had lost points for their respective houses in their crusade. Harry was also having to fight off accusations that he and Luna were secretly dating but luckily he was well used to ignoring rumours now. Today only Justin had been forced to get himself into trouble and Harry hoped that they were beginning to lose interest. This hope was quickly squashed when he walked to potions. Occlumency was due to start tonight but so far he and Snape, although not communicating much in class, seemed to be getting along with a reasonable degree of civility. This was probably helped by the fact that Malfoy and Pansy Parkinson were the only Slytherins in his potions class. Despite it being obvious what Harry and the others were doing, the sixth year Slytherins never missed an opportunity to mock Harry for it. He and Hermione managed to ignore Malfoy and Pansy in this class and, surprisingly in Harry’s eyes, he was doing quite well. Today however he walked down to see a now familiar sight. A crowd of Gryffindor fifth years saw him approach and walked towards Malfoy, wands outstretched.

Naturally the blond raised his wand and prepared to cast a counter spell. ‘You really think you can do better than me?’

As the Gryffindors began speaking, Malfoy threw a spell towards the group that they, never having cast their own, reflected with ease. The resounding crack shook the walls of the dungeons and brought Snape sweeping out of his office.

He was amazed at the tableau he walked into. Draco stood with his wand out looking at the split along the wall in wonder. Around him was an equally astonished looking group of students, all now backing away hastily.

‘Draco? Do you intend on explaining yourself?’

‘It wasn’t me Professor. They…’

‘Which they? No one else appears to have a wand out.’

Harry wondered if he had wandered into some parallel universe. Snape was berating Malfoy and he was about to defend him. Noticing Hermione stepping forward he put a hand on her arm, deciding it would be better if only one of them was reduced to a pile of ashes. ‘It was me Professor.’

‘Mr Potter, unbelievably I am actually surprised by this.’ He was remembering Harry’s words about unprovoked attacks.

‘I cast the spell at Malfoy. He just deflected it into the wall.’

‘Very well. Fifty points from Gryffindor for fighting in the corridors and detention with me this evening. What are you lot gawking at? Get to class.’ Striding into his own classroom he impatiently beckoned his own class in, shooting Harry a glare as he sat down. Harry looked down uncomfortably wondering if there was a way to repair this damage without betraying his vow not to report the problem.

*******************

After class Harry had managed to assemble the DA in an unused classroom for a brief talk. Agreeing what to do they walked back to respective common rooms.

Harry walked to the centre of the Gryffindor common room and stood there hearing the room turn silent. ‘Okay, you all know what’s going on. What I’m going to say Justin is telling Hufflepuff and Terry Boot is telling Ravenclaw. This ends now. Attacks on Slytherins just because of their house, and especially on first and second year, go against everything this house is supposed to stand for. And in case you’ve forgotten, it was a Gryffindor who brought Voldemort back, who also incidentally, betrayed my parents to him. So don’t try to pretend Slytherin automatically equals bad and Gryffindor equals good. You all know what I did today, so you’ve proved now that I mean this. I don’t care if I’m in detention every night and I run us into minus points, I will keep going until you stop this.’

Ron, Hermione, Neville, Dean and Seamus stood up. After a beat, so did Lavender and Parvati. Ron spoke up.‘That goes for the rest of us too.’

At a hiss from the back, Hermione stepped forward calmly and pointed her wand. Muttering a spell there was a yelp. The crowd parted to reveal a fifth year now decidedly green. Smiling she cast the counter spell and fell backwards a little, being caught by Ron.

Neville drew himself up nervously. ‘I’m in charms with Hermione and what’s interesting is,’ he paused, unused to threats, ‘she never has any problem casting the spell, but the counter-spell makes her tired. Imagine how… sad it would be if she turned you all green and silver and was too tired to undo it.’

Dean grinned wickedly. ‘Could be like that for days.’

‘As long as you all know,’ Harry ended, ‘I’m going to detention with Snape. I’d appreciate it if it didn’t happen again.’

****************

‘Enter,’ Snape barked as Harry knocked nervously at his door. He walked in. ‘Wand out,’ Harry acquiesced quickly and stood facing Snape. ‘Legilimens!’ Snape’s mind was flooded with Harry’s memories but he broke the spell off before he could focus on any.

‘Potter I know even you can do better than this. Focus.’ Harry wondered at how little it took to edge Snape into hatred of him again

‘Professor about this afternoon. I wasn’t just randomly attacking Malfoy.’

‘Indeed. I’m sure he deserved to have dangerous spells cast at him.’

‘I’m sorry sir, I can’t explain…’

‘I don’t require you to explain Mr Potter I merely require it not to happen again. Legilimens!’ This time Harry had even less chance to block. Seeing Malfoy in the memory Snape didn’t pull out. He saw that afternoon, saw the fifth years and Malfoy casting the spells. Saw Harry push Hermione back and nervously step forward to take the blame. Severing the link he pulled Harry up and into a chair. Sitting in another he looked quizzically at the boy in front of him.

‘Mr Potter when do you imagine you will grow out of your penchant for self-sacrifice?’

‘Sir…’

‘I cannot imagine why, even given this trait, you would do this for Mr Malfoy. Would you care to explain?’

‘I thought you said you didn’t require me to explain.’

‘Insolence will get you nowhere. Why?’

‘I can’t tell you if you’re going to go and punish them for it.’

‘Why wouldn’t I? They attacked one of my students.’

‘I know that. But I’m trying to fix it.’

Severus was struck by sudden realisation. ‘Mr Potter, would this be why there has been a spate of odd accidents and other misdemeanours by the upper forms? Professors McGonagall and Dumbledore were convinced something odd was happening.’

‘I can’t…’

‘This is your way of stopping what exactly Mr Potter? Miscarriages of justice? Surely it’s equally miscarried if you get punished for the actions of others.’

Harry gave up his evasion. ‘But if I do it we lose points. And I don’t break the code of whatever by telling who it was. Which, in theory, means that the others should stop bullying Slytherins.’

‘Do you not think Draco can hold his own?’

‘The first and second years can’t. Malfoy was just them trying to test me.’

‘So you decided to stand up for what’s right. How very Gryffindor of you.’

‘That’s not really an insult to me Professor. And we’re just trying to stop the house fighting getting worse. But if you punish them they’ll think I told you and we won’t be able to work. I think we scared them today anyway.’

‘How?’

‘We told them what would happen if they didn’t stop.’

‘Which entailed what exactly?’

‘We explained that we wouldn’t stop even if we ran into minus numbers in points. And then Hermione and Neville may have threatened to turn them all green.’

This surprised a snort out of the older man. ‘Very well. But if I catch any of them there will be serious consequences. Now do you want to continue Occlumency or are you going to be unable to concentrate?’

‘Actually Professor I wonder if I could ask you something?’

‘No you may not leave. I gave you detention and if you leave early suspicion will be raised.’

‘No,’ Harry laughed, ‘ I was reading a book Hermione lent me about transformative potions and I had a few questions.’

Snape looked at him in surprise and nodded. ‘By all means.’ Bending over the book he began to explain.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=452