A Different Life by rayvern
Summary: Harry was sent to the orphanage by the Dursley. How will a different life affect his character and perspective of things? and who is this mysterious 'uncle' looking for him?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 13589 Read: 38703 Published: 23 Jan 2005 Updated: 05 Nov 2005
Discoveries and a new friend by rayvern
Author's Notes:
Original choices I gave were only 2: evil / bad Harry. But thank you for your suggestions and new choices, I will consider them. If you must know, I really had my heart set on bad (not so nice) Harry =x I guess we'll see… stay tune.. hehz

thoughts - 'italics'

parseltongue - //…//

Harry sat under a tree, reading, ignoring the other children who were playing and running about, shouting at the top of their voices. He sighed irritably as another shrill shriek broke his concentration. 'Why can't they make better use of lunch break instead of doing silly things? I'll never finish the book at this rate.'

Suddenly, a faint voice interrupted his thoughts.

// … stupid humanss… makes so much noisses…//

Harry quickly looked around. 'Where did that come from?'

There was no one near him but a movement in the grass caught his eye. A small snake ringed with red, yellow and black bands was slithering towards the tree. Harry's breath caught in his throat as the snake looked up, its round pupils seemed to stare straight at him. For a second he thought the snake was going to attack him, but it only ignored him and continued to make its way to the tree. Obviously, it did not see him as a threat.

Harry started to relax, only to stare in shock as he heard the snake muttering //oh great... another stupid human…//

// I'm not a stupid human.// Harry said indignantly to the snake's back, or rather tail, before he could stop himself.

'Wait a minute. Since when do snakes talk?!' he thought belatedly.

The snake stopped still, slowly turning its head back to look at him. // you can Speak!// Amazement was plain in its voice.

//Of course I can speak. Problem is, how come you can speak.// said Harry curiously.

//you don't get it, do you?// The snake sounded amused, now slithering towards him.

//get what?// Harry was confused. 'This is just too weird. How many people actually talk to snakes?'

//you're Speaking my language, not the other way round.//

//I am? How?// Harry was intrigued by this new-found ability.

//I don't know. It's a rare ability of wizards.//

//Wizards!? So I'm a wizard?//

//of course! Mere muggles certainly won't be able to talk to us.//

//oh.// Harry fell silent, thinking about what this might mean.

//there have not been another Speaker since He disappeared.//

//who?// Harry asked, not having the slightest inkling as to who the snake was referring to.

//Voldemort.//

//who's that?//

//he's the dark lord.//

//he is evil?//

//you could say that.//

//oh.// It's all too much for Harry to process at the moment. His brain is working furiously, trying to understand the what, how and whys of this whole situation. Then the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch break.

He stood up reluctantly. //well I got to go for lessons. Will you still be here later?//

//sure.// The snake slithered up the tree and curled around a branch.

Assured, Harry ran inside the building, aware that lessons would be starting in… '30 seconds!'. He stopped outside the classroom, breathless, trying to compose himself before entering. It would not do for everyone to see him so flustered.

"Harry. Why are you standing outside? Lesson's starting." Ms Mackenzie's voice came from behind and she ushered him in.

"Class, please turn to page 117 of your textbooks…"

-----ooOOoo-----

Harry stared impatiently at the clock as lesson neared the end, eager to see the snake again. There were so many questions he wanted to ask. He raced out of the class as soon as they were dismissed, surprising Ms Mackenzie as he was usually not so eager to go back to the orphanage.

//Where are you?// Harry hissed softly as he neared the tree.

//Above you.// came the reply.

Harry looked up, and saw the snake hanging lazily from a branch. //I cant stay long. Would you like to come back with me?//

//Back? To where?// The snake rises its head in curiosity.

//The orphanage where I live. Some children have pets so it's allowed.// said Harry, not knowing that those pets allowed are restricted to harmless and cuddly animals, like stray cats and dogs. Definitely not including potentially dangerous snakes that bite.

//Pets? So I'll be your pet?//

//I guess... if you want to.// said Harry uncertainly, not sure how a wild snake would take to being owned as pet.

//Is there food there?//

//Uh... there are lots of mice.//

The snake thought for a moment before replying. //Sounds agreeable. I'll go.//

//Great!// said Harry enthusiastically, happy that he'll finally have someone to talk to, a new friend.

//Erm, do I carry you or something?// he asked, not knowing anything about handling snakes.

//Just hold out your arm and I'll curl around you.//

Harry held out his left arm and felt the snake's cool texture as it slithered onto his arm, curling around it comfortably. It felt weird, but strangely pleasant, like wearing a thick cool bracelet. //Luckily you're small// hissed Harry as he stroked its head gently.

//I'm not small! I just haven't grown to my full length yet.//

Harry hid a smile at its vehement protest. //Ok then. Do you have a name?//

//Name? Why do I need a name?//

//So I can call you. Surely I cant keep calling you 'it' or 'snake'//

//It! I'll have you know that I'm a she!// If it were possible for a snake to sound outraged, this would be it.

//Sorry. So... can I name you?//

//Sss… //

//How about Sandy?//

//Sandy…// she said slowly, sounding out the name. Apparently finding it satisfactory, she nodded and hissed // I like it.//

Harry smiled. //Sandy it is then.//

//Can we go now master?//

//You can call me Harry.//

//Harry… Master…// Sandy's forked tongue snaked out to lick him affectionately.

Harry was startled but it warmed his heart. 'Perhaps I'll finally have a friend that will not betray me.'

A thought suddenly occurred to him. //Sandy, are you poisonous?//

//Yess... but don't worry, I won't bite you.//

//You can't bite the other children too. Otherwise they might take you away.// Harry warned.

//Promise I won't bite them… unless they threaten you…//

//Thank you.// said Harry softly, touched by her loyalty and protectiveness of him.

He was so engrossed in talking to Sandy that he did not realize they had already reached the orphanage entrance. And that all the children were staring wide-eyed at the hissing, brightly colored snake curled around his arm.

A piercing scream caused Harry to look up immediately. He was met with a trembling finger pointed at Sandy and numerous frightened looks. "What? Never seen a snake before?" He said coldly, daring the other children to object to his new pet.

"But- but it- it's a snake." Alex stammered, stating the obvious, as if it explains everything.

Harry's eyes raked the blonde-haired boy with a hard look, then smiled slyly, saying sweetly," Correction: it's a highly poisonous coral snake."

The other children shrank back even further at his revelation.

"Thus, I advise you not to annoy us, otherwise you might find yourself at the receiving end of her bite." Harry added causally before making his way back to his room.

//They are scared of me…// Sandy hissed.

//Yar but don't worry about them… no one can take you away.//

//I shall bite them if they do.//

//Yes, that's a good idea…// Harry stroked down her length absently, thinking about the problems he might have with the added presence of Sandy.

'Wonders if anyone will tell Keleman…' He sighed. 'It's only a matter of time before he finds out. Never mind, we'll deal with it when it comes.'

He did not have to wait long. A loud hammering on the door broke his reverie.

"Open the door right now!" Keleman shouted.

'It's not even locked.' Harry rolled his eyes and got off the bed. Opening the door, he smiled politely and asked," Is anything wrong, sir?"

"What's wrong? You dare ask me what's wrong when you were the one who bought a poisonous snake back?!" Keleman ranted.

"Oh. Do you mean Sandy?" He asked innocently, holding his left hand out for Keleman to see.

"Argh! Get that snake away. I want it gone by dinner time or you will get it." Keleman unconsciously stepped back from him. Even his threat sounded weak.

'So, he's afraid of snakes eh…' Harry thought smugly.

"No, she's staying with me."

"You insolent boy, see if I don't teach you a lesson." Keleman made a move towards him but stopped as Sandy hissed fiercely at him, bearing her teeth threateningly.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you. Coral snakes have powerful neurotoxic venom that attacks the nervous system and cause death as a result of heart failure or suffocation." said Harry serenely.

"You- you're threatening me?" Keleman spluttered.

"Just a little reminder." Harry smiled pleasantly, a fake smile never reached his eyes.

Keleman stared at him furiously, torn between wanting to beat him up and his fear of the snake. He looked like he was going to burst in anger soon. "Fine." He finally gritted out. "You watch out. I'll get you. Eventually." Then he stomped out of the room, slamming the door shut.

'Score 1 for me!' thought Harry victoriously. 'Oooh that look on his face. I thought I'd never see the day when he was afraid of me.'

For the first time in months, he felt like laughing out loud and jumping around gleefully. That he did not do so was because of caution. He did not want to push Keleman too far by gloating too blatantly.

//You are happy// Sandy stated.

//Yes, very, very happy.//

//Why?// asked Sandy curiously.

//Because I won, and you're staying with me. Thank you for helping me.//

//What did I do?// Sandy was clueless.

//He's scared of you.//

//Oh. I am glad I could help.//

//So am I, so am I…//

However Harry knew he could not afford to be complacent, as Keleman would be watching him closely for any opportunity to strike. And the punishment would be worse than the last time. 'I'd better enjoy having the upper hand while I can. Since I'm going to be punished anyway, might as well milk this advantage for all it's worth.'

//Don't you just love power, Sandy?//

//Yes… but don't get corrupted by it.//

//I won't, but the feeling is exhilarating.//

Silence.

Then, // tell me more about wizards, Sandy.//

To be continued...
End Notes:
Sadly, school just started and I will be very busy with school work, exams, training for competition and stuff so don't expect me to update too quickly. However, I will try to update during weekends. Hopefully there will be a new chapter once a week or once every 2 weeks, but no promises. (I really should be doing homework you know.. sighz..)Review! Review! with any comments/questions/ideas/suggestions/constructive criticism that you have.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=47