A Different Life by rayvern
Summary: Harry was sent to the orphanage by the Dursley. How will a different life affect his character and perspective of things? and who is this mysterious 'uncle' looking for him?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 13589 Read: 38701 Published: 23 Jan 2005 Updated: 05 Nov 2005
Letters and Dreams by rayvern
Author's Notes:
wonders what the hell I'm doing here when I'm supposed to finish my homework.. cant stand myself sometimes, no self discipline. *sigh* ok enough of my mutterings, will reply to reviews next chapter, I'm too tired to write anymore. Just don't kill me cuz this chapter is badly done. Feel free to tell me if it's really unacceptable and I'll rewrite it.

Parseltongue - //…//

Dream - italics

"Letter for Harry Potter," the postman called out, standing at the gate of the orphanage in the late afternoon.

Harry looked up from his books and walked towards the postman curiously. "Yes?" he asked.

"You're Harry Potter?" the postman asked for confirmation and Harry nodded in the affirmative. "Well, someone sent you a parcel and a letter. Please sign here."

Harry scribbled his name on a piece of paper and took the items from the postman. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. Have a nice day." The postman replied cheerfully and left.

Harry was staring at the letter and parcel, wondering who sent it. Nobody ever sent him anything, and none of the orphans ever gets mail. He turned over the envelope and opened it carefully, thinking that something was awfully familiar about the handwriting at the front.

Dear Harry,

How are you, bro? I've missed you. Sorry I took so long to write but dad got a new job in London and we have to move over there, thus it took us a few weeks to settle down and get use to everything. It's good here, they treat me well, though I wish you were here too.

Does Keleman still beat you up? Try to stay out of his way okay? I don't want you to get hurt again. And tell Derrick if he and his bunch of bullies ever hurt you, I will personally come back to pummel him.

The parcel is a birthday present for you (yes, I didn't forget). Hope you like it. Take care and write back soon.

Love you,

Dan

'Dan,' Harry thought in shock, his fingers trembling and tears threatened to fall. A wave of love enveloped him as he reread the letter again. For the first time since Dan left, Harry felt happy and loved, protected even though Dan is not physically there. He smiled slightly at Dan's usual protectiveness of him, evident even in a letter he wrote.

Clutching the letter and parcel tightly, he hurried to his room where he could open his present in private and write a reply to Dan, away from the prying eyes of the other orphans. Harry opened the parcel carefully and his eyes sparkled in childish delight as he saw a black dog soft toy lying among the nest of coloured paper. He hugged it to his chest, feeling the soft fur beneath his hands. Looking at his new toy, he felt a tug in the back of his mind, there was something familiar about the image of a black dog…

But he can't quite recall it in the distant memory of his childhood, just the feeling that it was something important. Unbidden, a name came to him. "Padfoot," he whispered to the black dog, though he had no idea what it meant.

//Master, there are more things inside.// Sandy hissed, awake from her sleep and having slithered into the box to explore.

Distracted, Harry put Padfoot down and turned his attention to her. //let me see.//

He picked up a book titled "The Little Prince" and found some chocolates hidden by the shreds of coloured paper. He grinned to himself, trust Dan to know what he likes. His happiness dimmed as he thought of Dan, the times they spent together, his laughter, his presence, his playful teasing… how he missed him.

He took out a paper and pen, biting his bottom lip as he thought of what to write.

Dear Dan,

I am well. I've really missed you. I thought you'd forgotten about me when you did not write. I wish you were here too, or that I could be with you. Keleman has stopped bothering me and I think Derrick and his gang have learnt their lesson after being chased by the dogs in the warehouse.

I love the presents, thank you. Can you come back sometimes to see me?

Love you too,

Harry

Harry folded the letter and put it into an envelope, but did not post it straightaway as he had no stamps. 'Maybe I could get some from Ms Mackenzie tomorrow,' he thought.

----ooOOoo---

After class Harry stayed back to talk to Ms Mackenzie.

"Ms Mackenzie?" He asked hesitantly.

She looked up from her work, "Yes, Harry?"

"I - can I have a stamp please? I need to post a letter."

"Sure, what do you need it for?" She asked while rummaging in her drawer for some stamps.

"Erm, it's for a colouring competition. I need to submit it by post." Harry flushed a bit at the lie, guilty for lying to her when she has been so nice.

Ms Mackenzie mistook his flush for embarrassment. "Here you go. Good luck for the competition."

"Thank you Ms Mackenzie. Have a nice day." Harry smiled brilliantly and took the stamps, walking out of the room with a spring in his steps.

Ms Mackenzie stared after him, amazed at the transformation a smile can do. 'Looks like this competition must be really important to him to make him so happy. It's a nice change from his usual guarded expression.' she thought.

//why did you lie to her?// Sandy asked curiously.

//well… I was afraid she wouldn't give me the stamps.// Harry fidgeted uneasily as his conscience made its presence known.

//that's not nice.// Sandy voiced his thoughts unknowingly.

Harry groaned, why does his conscience and Sandy sing the same tune. //it didn't hurt anyone.//

Sandy fell silent upon hearing his sharp tone.

//sorry I didn't mean to snap.// Harry said after a moment's silence.

//it's ok.// Sandy's forked tongue snaked out to lick his arm, a sign that he was forgiven.

----ooOOoo----

"Hello Jamsie, Lily. And how's my favourite godson?" A tall man with black hair and blue eyes walked through the door, a grin on his face.

The godson in question gurgled in response and stretch out his small hands, bright green eyes looking up at the man. "Oh look! He likes me already." He tickled the baby, causing him to squeal.

"Sirius! Stop it! Harry's going to have nightmares." A woman with long copper tresses scolded while trying to get the baby away from him.

"Aww Lily don't spoil the fun." Sirius gave her his best adorable puppy-dog look.

"Nah uh, doesn't work on me." Lily said sternly.

The man disappeared and in its place was a huge black dog, wagging its tail. The dog pounced on Lily and licked her face, slobbering all over.

"Eww… Sirius!" Lily yelled.

"Padfoot, down boy, down." James ordered, trying to keep a straight face. The black dog got off and turned towards James. "And don't even think about it," warned James as he saw the mischievous look in the blue eyes.

"This house is going to turn into a zoo soon," Lily muttered, but a reluctant smile tugged at her lips.

The image blurred and the swirl of colours merge into another scene.

"Lily, take Harry and go! It's him! Go! Run! I'll hold him off ---"

"Not Harry, not Harry, please not Harry!" Lily screamed and used her body to shield the baby from the man who was advancing upon both of them.

"Stand aside, you silly girl… stand aside, now…" A furious commanding voice said. The man's eyes glowed red as he raised a wooden stick threateningly.

"Not Harry, please no, take me, kill me instead --" Lily pleaded with the man, desperate to protect her child.

"Not Harry! Please… have mercy… have mercy…"

"Avada Kedavra!"

A flash of green light suddenly sped towards the woman, the child, towards Harry…

Bright. It was so bright, consuming his whole vision. Nothing but green.

Screaming. Terrified screams, loud, so loud. Then…

Silence. Nothing. Black. It was all black.

Falling, into darkness, falling…

Harry suddenly jerked upright, sweat beading his brow and breathing heavily.

Green.

And he remembered.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=47