A Different Life by rayvern
Summary: Harry was sent to the orphanage by the Dursley. How will a different life affect his character and perspective of things? and who is this mysterious 'uncle' looking for him?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 13589 Read: 38695 Published: 23 Jan 2005 Updated: 05 Nov 2005
Stranger by rayvern
Author's Notes:
Good/bad/evil is subjective, relative to each person's definitions of good/bad/evil. So do not be too disappointed if the way I portray it is different from how you think it should be done. It may be mixed to strike a balance. Perhaps. Not really accepting votes anymore, but please review all the same!

The dark-haired man strode down the hallway quickly, black robes billowing behind him. He made his way down to the dungeons, where his private workroom was, to check on the almost complete potion. The potion was simmering, and he checked the timer, preparing to add the last ingredient when the potion turned blue. The timer sounded and as if on cue, the potion swirled and slowly changed to blue. He carefully added two Jobberknoll feathers and stirred it anti-clockwise twelve times, watching as the potion gradually cleared to a colourless solution.

'Finally,' he thought, satisfied at the end product. He then made a small cut on his finger and let a few drops of blood drip into the potion. The blood did not mix with the potion, its red only concentrated in the middle.

"Manifesto meton," the man muttered while using his wand to draw a pentagram in the air above the potion. The red color of the drops of blood slowly spread, vein-like lines branching out to form words.

Harry Potter

Then the words merged and changed.

Marden Orphanage, Hampshire

"Deletrius."

----ooOOoo----

The children stared in unveiled curiosity at the strange man walking into the orphanage. He wore a long, black dress-like coat and black pants, and the expression his face would have sent even the bravest orphans running. The children parted like the Red Sea before him in his rapid advancement.

He suddenly stopped and turned to the nearest child. "Where is your caretaker?" he demanded.

The unfortunate girl of his attentions took one look at his scowling face and angry tone, and promptly burst into tears. He sighed irritably, surely he's not that scary?

In an attempt to placate the sobbing girl, he conjured a rose and handed it to her. "Hush don't cry," he said in a softer voice. "I'm just looking for the caretaker of this orphanage. Can you tell me where he is?"

The sniffling girl gave him a trembling smile and took the rose shyly. "He's -hic- in the office down the hallway," she said timidly, looking at him hesitantly, deciding that he's not so scary after all.

"Thank you," He patted her head absently and continued down the hallway. Nearing the office, he heard shouts and screaming.

"You can't take away my things!" a furious yell was heard, high and childish.

"You dare to give me orders on what to do?" the voice was deeper, a quiet anger in the reply.

"I- I'll get Sandy here!" the child sounded desperate.

A pause, then sneering. "Your precious snake is not here to help you."

He walked in without bothering to knock, interrupting the argument as the occupants of the room turned towards the door to stare at him.

"I'm looking for a child by the name of Harry Potter." He said curtly, abandoning all pleasantries. His gaze flicked to the predatory stance of the man who was moving towards the child before he had interrupted them. And then to the child, taking in his messy black hair, some purple bruises on his arm, and the ragged clothes that hung on his small frame.

Keleman looked at the strangely dressed man, and started to bustle in anger. "Now look here, you have no right to just waltz in without so much as a by your leave and make demands. Can't you see I'm busy disciplining one of the boys?"

That was obviously the wrong thing to say to the stranger. His lips tightened in anger and he strode to Keleman, grabbing him by the front of his shirt. "I have seen the results of your 'discipline'," he snarled as he glance at the wide-eyed boy in the corner. "And they border on abuse. Now tell me where is Potter or I'll end your miserable life and make your death very unpleasant." At this, he smiled in a distinctly feral manner that left no doubt in Keleman's mind that he would have no qualms about killing him if need be.

Beads of sweat start to form on Keleman's forehead and now he could see that the stranger was different from the usual clients who wanted to adopt. It was there in his dark and forbidding manner, his cold expressionless face, and commanding voice. It bespoke a man who was used to being feared and obeyed, intimidating others to get what he want. He had misjudged the stranger badly.

"There- there's no Potter here," Keleman stuttered.

"Do not lie to me. I know he's here."

"The-the orphans… they have no- no surnames."

The stranger glared at him like he was some filthy pest he longed to squash beneath his boots. "I don't suppose there is a Harry here then?"

"There's only one," Keleman nodded nervously at the boy in the corner, who was currently trying to sneak out of the room unnoticed.

"Stop right there." The stranger said sharply.

Harry winced and stood still. He had enjoyed watching Keleman squirm under the stranger's intimidation, until the conversation involved him. From what he had observed, the man seemed even more dangerous than Keleman, and it would not do to anger him unduly.

The stranger released his grip on Keleman's shirt and walked towards Harry. Harry felt hands on his shoulders that slowly turned him around to face the man. His face became a shade paler, and he lifted Harry's hair to reveal a lightning blot scar on his forehead. Harry bit his lips as the man's grip on him tightened painfully.

"Look out!" Harry cried as Keleman tried to attack the stranger from behind with a metal pole.

The stranger quickly spun around and drew out a thin wooden stick from the folds of his clothes, muttering something indiscernible. Red light shot out from the end of the stick and hit Keleman, causing him to collapse on the floor immediately.

Harry stared at the man in shock and breathed, "You're a wizard."

The man looked at him inscrutably for a moment, then said, "Yes. And I'm taking you away. Pack your things, we're leaving."

Harry had so many questions but the look on the man's face prevented him from saying anything. He did not know the whys and hows, but something inside him told him to trust the stranger. So he went to his room to pack his few possessions, the letter from Dan, his soft toy Padfoot, a few books that the older children discarded plus the new one that Dan had given him. Lastly, he scoped Sandy up from the bed, where she was basking in the light streaming through the windows, and asked her to curl around his arm.

//Where are we going, master?//

//Away from here.//

//We are running away?//

//No. A wizard is taking me away.//

//Who?//

A pause.

//I don't know.// said Harry finally, softly.

They had reached Keleman's office, where the stranger was sitting on the couch, idly twirling his wand as he watched Keleman thrashed about on the floor, screaming silently. Keleman stilled as soon as the man saw Harry standing at the door.

//Master? Are you sure about going with him?// Sandy hissed warily as she eyed the dark man approaching them.

//I - yes.// Harry still trusted his instinct, although it seemed irrational to do so when there was no basis for this trust.

The man held out a glass ball to Harry, rainbow colors swirling in it. "Touch it. It will bring you to the manor."

Harry hesitantly stretched out his hand and touched a finger to the globe. Immediately he felt as though a hook just behind his navel had been suddenly jerked irresistibly forward. His feet had left the ground and his finger was stuck to the globe, pulling him onwards in a howl of wind and swirling colors. He stumbled as his feet slammed into the ground, but a pair of hands caught him around the arms, steadying him.

Harry looked into the obsidian black eyes of the stranger and gave him a small smile. "Thank you."

He stared at Harry for a long time before nodding curtly in acknowledgement of his thanks. Sandy raised her head and hissed at the stranger, and he looked to the source in surprise.

"Your pet?" he arched an eyebrow and asked amusedly.

"My friend." Harry said softly, stroking Sandy's back, coaxing her to back down.

He looked at the snake closely, then back at Harry. "You do know that she's poisonous?"

"She won't bite unless someone harms me." The message was clear as Harry looked straight at him. It was a warning, that he was not totally defenseless despite being a child in the presence of a possibly dangerous man.

The man's lips quirked upwards. "Come, I'll show you your room."

It was then that Harry noticed his surroundings. The large room had crystal chandeliers hanging from the tall ceiling, ornaments and strange objects decorating the sides, framed portraits hanging on the walls- wait, are the pictures moving? Harry rubbed his eyes but-

The pictures are moving! he thought incredulously. Sandy did not mention that.

Harry realized that the man was already half way up the stairs and hurried to catch up with him. They went through carpeted corridors, turning at several corners until the man finally stopped at a wooden door, intricate designs beautifully carved on it. The door opened wide to reveal a large opulent room decorated in green and silver. A big bed was situated on the right, complete with polished oak bedside tables and lamps. There was a comfy looking couch and armchairs on the left, arranged around a fireplace. To the other end, another opened door leads to the bathroom.

"My room?" Harry was overwhelmed by the luxuries provided.

"All yours."

"Thank you." His green eyes glittered brightly.

"Rest now, the house elves will call you for dinner. Do not wander off by yourself. There are dangerous creatures around." The stranger turned to go.

"Wait! I- why?" Harry asked softly, the final one word encompassing all his questions.

Why did you bring me here? Why are you so nice? Why won't you explain? Why…

"We will talk later."

"How do I address you then?" Harry blurted out before the stranger could leave.

There was a long silence as the man stilled, and Harry thought he was not going to answer. He barely caught the strangled reply.

"You can call me Uncle."

With that, the stranger swept out of the room, robes swirling around him, leaving Harry to stare after him in stunned silence.

To be continued...
End Notes:
A/n: sorry this took so long. Hope it's not too irritating that I kept using 'the stranger' and 'the man' to describe 'Luc'. Because he did not explain things to Harry, Harry did not know who he is or even his name, thus always thinking of him as 'the stranger' or 'the man'. Mostly from Harry's POV, you will realize that I keep descriptions of Luc's feelings / perspective here to a minimum. Think I will write a bit on Luc's POV next chapter.

manifesto -are [to show clearly , reveal].

meton. [persons related, kindred, family]



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=47