Subdued Dependence by ckat44
Summary: Snape had always suspected that Harry traveled a different path, but he never expected that the boy would go down such a dark road... Snape & Harry bonding, very angsty, no evil!Harry, no slash...
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Drug use
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 21792 Read: 24699 Published: 02 Mar 2005 Updated: 05 Nov 2005
Confuzzlement by ckat44

Snape nodded curtly and wracked his brain. "A distraction might be good. How about reading or homework or..." What did people do to keep themselves occupied? "...chess?"

Harry let out a small laugh. "Numb hippogriff," he muttered before sitting up. "Yeah, lets play chess. I'm not very good though. Ron always beats me at it."

"Weasley?" Snape asked in surprise as he retrieved his chess set from the cupboard. "I wouldn't imagine he'd had enough brains for that."

"He isn't stupid, Professor. Don’t you remember when he was awarded points at the end of our first year for the best-played chess game?" Harry asked as he set the white pieces up.

As far as I’m concerned, he has proven his stupidity on many occasions and his intelligence on none," Snape said, placing the black pieces in their correct locations.

"Professor....you don't know my friends. Just like you thought you knew me, you think you know them."

"Okay, fine. I won't badmouth your friends," he said. He waited for Harry to make his first move.

Harry laughed at the expression that Snape had. The man continued to surprise him. Harry moved his first piece. He felt his stomach start to hurt. He wanted skillith so bad.

Snape quickly made his move and eyed Harry warily. The boy didn't look like he was doing so well and it was best to keep his mind off his cravings. "So do you have any idea what you want to do after Hogwarts?" he asked, more loudly than needed to get the boy's attention.

Harry thought about that. He didn't like thinking about that. He would be an auror. What else was there to be? He had always been planning on being an Auror but did he really want to be one? The truth was no. He definitely didn't want to do that. He wanted a normal job. He wanted a job a normal non-Boy-Who-Lived kind of person would get. "Um...an Auror," Harry said and moved another chess piece.

"Why do you say that sounding like you're marching to your doom?" Snape asked in confusion, wondering if Harry had misunderstood the question. "I want to know what you want to do."

"Oh um... I do want to be an Auror," Harry said not knowing what else to say.

Snape looked at the boy with a raised eyebrow. "You don't have to be an Auror. You can be whatever you want... with proper work of course."

"No... I don't really think that's true. I mean, McGonagall already made sure I was in the correct classes and everything. Everyone expects me to be. Besides, I don't know of anything else," Harry mused and moved another piece taking one of Snape’s.

"Well you should consider other options. Luckily, the classes required for an Auror are very broad and cover the requirements for a lot of occupations. There's so much more to do, and you don't want to pick something you're miserable at. Besides, don't you think you've had enough excitement with the Dark Lord? Do you really want to spend your whole life chasing after dark wizards?"

"No, I agree with you completely," Harry said. He was actually quite surprised that Snape knew what he was thinking about that. He felt better but still.... "People expect me to be. They would be so disappointed if I wasn't."

"You shouldn't care so much what others think," Snape commented, taking Harry's bishop. "Don't live to please others or you'll always be living someone else's life rather than your own. Let them worry about themselves and figure out what you want to do."

"I guess so," Harry said and moved another piece only to realized that piece was trapped.

"I really don't know," Harry sighed and waited for Snape to move his chess piece.

"Well, what are your favorite subjects? What do you enjoy doing? What do you see yourself doing in life?"

"I think..." Harry said really thinking about it. The D.A came up in his memory. He loved the feeling when someone had learned something new because of him. Would he be a good teacher? Well that was already proven.. Maybe.. "Maybe a teacher..."

"A Defense professor perhaps?" Snape asked, moving his next piece.

"I think I would like that," Harry said comfortable. Amazingly his trapped piece escaped and Harry took a knight.

"Well, you're the top of your year in Defense, and I've heard about your little club, last year, so the idea's not too preposterous."

"No... no it isn't," Harry said feeling more confident.

"And you have patience in helping others, as I've seen with you and Longbottom in class, which is a plus for the profession," he mused, taking Harry's castle.

"Well, all Neville needed was a little patience," Harry said eyeing Snape pointedly. He took his other rook.

"Well, professors get students like that most of the time, and some prefer to coddle them with what they call patience and others don't," he said smugly. "Of course, the former seem to get a better response from most."

"He doesn't respect you professor," Harry said truthfully. "He is scared shitless by the sight of you. I believe you have heard of his boggart in our 3rd year?"

Snape shrugged. "Some are. That's not my problem," he said taking a pawn.

"Why do you favor the Slytherins so much? I know it is partially because you are the Head of House but McGonagall and every other Head of House doesn't favor their own House so much. Does it have anything to do with your rivalry with my father and Si-uh...my godfather?"

Snape blinked at the boy, both at the question and in noticing him tripping over his godfather's name. "No, not directly. I did have some bad experiences with Gryffindor, but I generally favor Slytherins to give them a break from the rest of the school, the students and many other teachers. At Quidditch matches, the rest of the school jeers at them, and everyone assumes they're evil because of the colors they wear. I like to give them one class they can look forward to, one class they can feel glad to be a Slytherin," Snape said honestly.

Harry suddenly forgot what they were talking about. It had been so long since he last had skillith. "Professor," he moaned.

Snape looked at the boy worriedly. "What's wrong?" he asked quickly.

"Isn't there any way you can just give me a potion that makes me NOT addicted to all these things?" Harry said wanting the forbidden drug terribly.

"I'm sorry, Harry, but I've checked and I'm continuing to look to see if I can find anything to help, but I know for a fact there's no simple cure. I know it's hard, but you're doing well. You'll be fine," Snape assured him, feeling bad for the boy knowing he was beginning to feel the need for the drug.

"Can I at least smoke one?" Harry asked even though he was fighting a losing battle. There was no doubt about it.

"No, you can't," Snape said regretfully. "I know this is hard, but you just need to get through it and the worse symptoms of the withdrawal will pass."

"Okay but I know there is SOMETHING for a nicotine addiction. Muggles use stuff ALL the time!"

"Yes, I know. I've ordered gum and patches to see which one works best. They're coming later tonight by owl," Snape informed him.

"Later," Harry muttered without realizing his hands were starting to shake. "I wonder if Si-my godfather ever smoked or anything. I wonder if any of the Marauders did..."

Snape frowned, realizing the boy had done the thing with his godfather's name again. "Not that I recall from school. I think your father and godfather in particular got smashingly drunk at several school parties, but they weren't addicted. They also made huge fools of themselves in the process."

“Yeah, my dad, Remus, and Si-he were smarter than that.”

“ Why do you always do that with your godfather's name?" Snape asked curiously

"Do what?" Harry asked.

"You don't say it," Snape said bluntly.

"Oh I uh...I don't know. I don't er...feel the need I guess..."

"I guess your godfather's death was pretty hard on you," Snape said sympathetically as he moved his next piece. "I didn't really think much of it, since you knew him for such a short time, but I guess you two must have been close."

"Um...yeah but what does that have to do with anything?" Harry asked contemplating where to move his rook

"Well, that's when you said you started turning toward all this stuff. It was a bad choice in coping methods, though," Snape said, waiting for Harry to make his move.

"I know," Harry sighed remembering his godfather's smile. He moved his rook.

"Hopefully you can begin to cope with his death. It might make getting over your addictions easier," Snape said, taking the rook Harry had just moved.

Harry didn't know how to begin to cope with his death. He should have been able to cope. Many people had to cope with the death of family members daily but Harry had turned to terrible things. "Well, I do miss him," Harry said and moved his next piece.

"Were you two close?" Snape asked, only realizing he'd moved a rook into a bad spot on the board after he'd removed his hand.

"Um...not very close," Harry stated without looking up and took Snape's last pawn.

Snape's eyebrows furrowed. That wasn't what he'd expected. "Then why were you so distraught after his death?" he asked curiously.

"Um..." Harry started. He didn't feel like talking about this. It was all so much at one time. He sighed and answered the question though wishing Snape would make his move. "It was my fault."

"Don't be ridiculous," Snape said, snapping his head up to look at the boy.

"Fine," Harry said willing not to talk about it.

"It wasn't your fault," Snape continued. "The Dark Lord tricked you. You didn't know he was manipulating you."

Harry's hands began to shake even more so than before and his stomach felt like it had a lot of emptiness in it although he wasn't hungry. "Professor," Harry said looking at his shaking hands, "I don't think this is the best time to talk about it."

Snape caught sight of Harry's shaky hands and nodded. "Right," he said curtly.

Distraction time. He wracked his brain for simple topics. "What's your favorite color?" he asked lamely, vying for time.

Harry groaned loudly and closed his eyes in pain. "Um....maroon and gold," Harry said.

Snape rolled his eyes. "Predictable. Um, favorite... favorite food?"

"Cauldron cakes," Harry said. He wanted to put his head down on his hands but his hands couldn't find his head so he just put them back down shakily.

"Favorite music?" he asked hopefully, unsure how much longer this was going to keep the boy distracted.

Harry could feel his brain starting to work in overtime. He had to stand up. He had to walk around. He had to get out. He had to do something! "Um," Harry said now his voice very fast, "Wicked Brothers," he said and then stood up and started pacing. He didn't even think of how this would look to anyone else.

"Of course, teenage boys and their rock music. I'll never understand," Snape said, trying to grab Harry's attention. "Do you want to go on a walk or something around the house or the yard..." he suggested, seeing Harry's anxious pacing.

"A walk, sounds good," Harry said hurriedly and bolted to the front door. He tried to open it but it wouldn't budge. "Why won't this open!" He yelled.

"Calm down. It's locked for safety. Let's go out the back door so I can show you where it is and the Quidditch pitch," he said.

"Can I go flying?" Harry asked still with a very fast voice.

"Okay, as long as you swear to me that you'll only fly around the area I show you so I can watch you. You're shaky and I don't want you to fall," Snape said warily, unsure if this was a good idea.

"I promise!" Harry said happy that he was at least doing something he loved if he couldn't do what he really wanted to.

"Okay, go grab your broom and meet me back down here, then," Snape said.

Harry nodded and ran to get his broom. Maybe he still had some skillith left that he forgot about! He scrummaged through all his stuff, broom aside but he couldn't find any! He wanted some so bad. He needed it. It was the only way he would stop shaking and feeling sick!!! Harry started to look everywhere. "There's none here, there's none here," He sobbed, broom forgotten. He continued to look all over his room. He threw books of the shelves and clothes all over the place. He wouldn't give up!

Snape had been waiting for awhile. Knowing it couldn't take Harry that long to grab his broom, he quickly made his way to the boy's room and knocked on the door.

Harry didn't hear Snape's knock. He just continued to scrounge around the room now attempting to pull everything out of his trunk. "There is none here!" Harry cried again.

Snape heard Harry shout from inside and opened the door. He was shocked at the state the room was in. "Harry," he called to grab the boy's attention.

Harry turned to Snape and then looked at the broom in shame. He had to find a distraction. "Lets go flying," Harry said wiping tears off then picking himself up and grabbing the broom he swept through the door without waiting for a response from Snape.

Snape sighed and followed the boy. He knew what Harry had been doing, but what could he say? He wasn't going to berate the boy while he was going through this hard time. He eventually took over the lead and led Harry through the house out the back door. "Here's the field you can fly around," he said, gesturing to the huge area.

Harry looked around. The Quidditch pitch was huge. Harry couldn't resist. Without waiting, he mounted his broom and took off in the air. He swooped around the pitch and felt so much better with the wind in his hair and the cool air hitting his face. Without realizing it he went further and further. Harry didn't see the tree that he smashed into and fell onto the grassy ground.

Snape saw Harry hit the tree and fall to the ground. "Shit!" he cursed before racing over to the fallen boy and kneeling by him. "Harry? Harry, are you okay?

"Yeah, I'm okay Sirius. Where is Remus?" Harry asked in a daze but looking straight at Snape.

Snape was very taken back. "It's Professor Snape, Harry. Snap out of it!" he yelled, wincing at the deep cut on Harry's upper forehead near his lightening bolt scar.

"Sirius, are you okay? Did you know your nostrils flare when you yell?" Harry laughed lightly. "Are we going home soon Sirius? I love your home. I'm glad Moony is living with us. I am so glad that I finally don't have to live with the Dursleys." Harry shivered as he said that.

"It's Professor Snape, Harry. You've hit your head pretty bad." Snape looked down at him in sympathy before picking him up in his arms and heading toward the house.

"My head does kind of hurt. So," Harry said and nustled his head against Snape's shoulder. "Sirius, I miss you. I'm sorry I got you killed. I shouldn't have believed Kreacher. Are you back forever now or are you leaving again?"

Snape sighed, not knowing what to do. "Actually, Harry, you're going to go stay with Professor Snape. He's going to take care of you," he heard himself say. He winced, knowing he was using the boy's vulnerable state to figure out how he felt about the whole situation. But he wasn't a Slytherin for nothing.

"So you are leaving me again? I will miss you. I'm sorry," Harry said in a childlike voice. "I'm staying with Professor Snape? That's okay. He helps me even though I don't always admit I want it. I don't know why you don't like him. He is a lot nicer when you get to know him." Harry said shifting his swollen head to the right.

Snape couldn't help but smile a bit before making his way inside the house and setting Harry down on his bed before getting some potions from the next room. He settled down next to the boy and began cleaning the wound.

"That doesn't hurt that much compared to some things," Harry rambled on. "One time Vernon dropped a knife on my thigh because I accidentley dropped the silverware when I was setting the dinner table. Of course I didn't get to eat there but that really hurt. The knife went really deep. Hermione and Ron wanted to know I why I was limping and I told them it was because I had a bad muscle cramp. They believed me. this doesn't hurt as much as that."

"He dropped it on you and it went that deep into your leg?" Snape asked skeptically. That didn't sound quite right.

"Yeah, I had to wait until I got to Hogwarts to magically make it better. Oops...Sirius you didn't know that did you? Um..nevermind. It was done by accident," Harry said.

"I'm sure it was," Snape said sarcastically. The boy's uncle was truly a monster. He took out his wand and magically checked Harry's brain for any swelling. He fixed up all the damage. Harry would be coming to his senses in a little bit. "Okay, Harry, how about you get some rest?"

"Professor Snape? Am I at Hogwarts?" he asked slowly coming back.

"No, you're at my home, remember? Hold on a second." Snape quickly called a house elf and asked it to bring chocolate. When the elf returned he broke off a piece and gave it to Harry to eat.

Harry stared at the food a second before he gobbled it up. "Professor Snape, what happened? I thought we were flying."

"You were and then you so brilliantly ran into a tree," Snape reminded him.

"Oh...and then what happened?"

"That only happened about five minutes ago. All that happened since then was me healing you," he said, leaving out the bit about Harry's delirium. It would bring up too many questions and he didn't want it to lead to Harry ever figuring out he took advantage of that situation.

"Oh I...Merlin," Harry said having the memories of all that happened. "I remember," Harry said and laid his head back on the couch.

"What, precisely, do you remember?" he asked warily.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review!!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=605