Forgotten Memories by LilPadfoot16
Summary: Harry Potter wakes up in Grimmauld Place the summer before his seventh year with no memory of the year before. He knows that something happened, something that everyone is reluctant to talk about. Nightmares of a time forgotten plague his soul. Can the man that hates Harry help him? Snape-mentors-Harry (eventually). No slash.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, General, Horror, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Character Death, Rape, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 12555 Read: 37570 Published: 10 Mar 2005 Updated: 28 Nov 2005
A Change of Heart by LilPadfoot16
Author's Notes:
There is only one more chapter after this! Enjoy!

The next time Harry woke, he felt as though his entire body was on fire. He moaned softly as he felt a cool liquid being rubbed into his legs. He opened his eyes against the pounding pain in his temples and saw Snape applying some sort of potion to his legs.

Snape looked over and quietly said, “Rest.”

Harry immediately closed his eyes again.


Harry opened his eyes and sat bolt upright. He panted slightly as he tried to control the prickling in his eyes. He remembered everything. He pressed his forehead to his knees, desperately trying to push the memories away. He heard the door bang open and looked up to see Snape.

“What is the matter with you now?” said Snape irritably.

Harry lifted his head and shook it in disbelief. He grabbed the crutches that leaned on his bed and got out of bed. He hobbled over to Snape and looked him straight in the eyes.

“Don’t you dare. Don’t you fucking dare,” he hissed.

“What are you talking about, Potter?” asked Snape.

“I know, Snape. I know everything. I know how you risked your life to get me out of Voldemort’s hideout. I know how many hours you spent healing me,” said Harry in a choked voice.

“And I care about this why?” asked Snape.

“Don’t you dare do that, Goddammit!” shouted Harry. “Don’t pretend that this is just a job. If it was just a job that you had to do, then why were you telling me stories? Why the hell were you singing to me?” Harry felt a pressing ache in his chest and turned away. Snape would never admit to not being the sadicious bastard everyone thought he was.

“Potter, why must you be so difficult?” growled Snape. Harry ignored him.

“Dammit, Potter. Fine, I’ll admit it. I don’t hate you. Are you happy now?”

Harry turned back around and saw that Snape was scowling. Harry grinned.

“Yes, for now,” he said.

Snape muttered something that sounded suspiciously like impudent child and then ordered him back into bed. Harry did so willingly, knowing that Snape would stop being such an arsehole.


Well, he was less of an arsehole, thought Harry as he was finally allowed to leave his bed again, though he still had to use the crutches. The beam had crushed his leg and though Snape had healed it, it was still weak.

“When can we get out of here?” questioned Harry as he followed Snape out of his room.

“As soon as you’re healed and Dumbledore says it’s safe,” replied Snape.

“Why do we have to wait until it’s safe?” asked Harry. “No one’s safe with Voldemort out there.”

Snape suddenly whirled, stopping Harry in his tracks.

“Come with me,” said Snape, leading Harry into the library. Harry sat near the door in a large armchair, but Snape remained standing.

“It is time to tell you the truth,” he said.

“What truth? I thought I knew everything,” said Harry, feeling confused.

“The truth about the night I rescued you,” said Snape. “Your memories do not suffice to tell you what happened after you lost consciousness.”

“What don’t I know?” asked Harry.

“The Dark Lord is dead. He died when you released that wild magic. Even if that hadn’t done the job, the beam that you knocked down would have done so,” said Snape quietly.

“He’s dead?” asked Harry in disbelief.

“Yes,” confirmed Snape.

“Then why am I still here?” asked Harry.

“Because you are not yet fully healed,” answered Snape.


Several weeks passed by, with Harry rapidly regaining his strength. Finally, the day came when Snape told him to gather his things. They were to take a Portkey to Hogwarts.

When Harry was ready to go, Snape held out an empty ink bottle and Harry took it. They were quickly hurtled through space and arrived seconds later in the Entrance Hall of Hogwarts.

“This way,” said Snape, leading the way to the Great Hall. When he flung the doors open, Harry gasped in shock. Standing around a table were Ron, Hermione, Ginny, all his other friends, members of the Order, and teachers.

“Welcome back, Harry!” they said in unison. Harry’s eyes prickled uncomfortably, and soon, he found himself surrounded by smiling faces. But before he was swept away by the crowd, he quickly mouthed ‘thank you’ to Severus Snape, his savior.

The End.
End Notes:
Chapter 8:: It's Over (the epilogue)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=638