To Be A Father by Ldykiya
Summary: Severus Snape has tried to get custody of his Son Harry for the last 3 and a half years. This is what happens when the Ministry offers a compromise.

Just so you know Voldemort is dead and will be staying that way. This story is SLASH (James Potter/Severus Snape, NOT a Mpreg... Lily carried Harry for them there will be an explination flash back at some point)
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, James, Lily, Lucius, Other, Petunia, Remus, Sirius, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Romance/Slash
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 9431 Read: 35049 Published: 19 Feb 2005 Updated: 24 Jan 2006
Diagon Alley by Ldykiya

Just as Mipsy finished packing everything up and was getting ready to move it to another spot in the house, Fawkes, the headmaster’s phoenix, appeared in a burst of flames. Severus set Harry down and took the offered parchment from the phoenix. He quickly read the missive from the headmaster. Finding instead of the quick note stating it would be ok to take Harry shopping for the day that he expected, he had in his hands a very formal permission slip signed by three Wizengamont members.

“Pretty” Harry whispered.

Severus looked up at the quietly whispered word and watched with an indulgent smile as his son tentatively reached out to stroke the Phoenix’s brilliant plumage.

Fawkes gave a short trill and disappeared with a flash leaving one of his feathers to float down and land in little Harry’s hands. Harry looked up at his father with wide awestruck eyes.

Severus gave a chuckle before explaining what Fawkes was and how special his gift of the feather had been.

“I need a treasure box Papa. So’s I can keep it safe!” Harry said with all seriousness.

“So, it’s ‘So I can keep it safe’. Not so’s” Severus corrected gently. “And we can certainly get you a treasure box.”

Harry smiled up at his Papa just as Mipsy reappeared in what was now an empty room.

“Is there being anything else Mipsy can be doing for Master Severus?” The house elf questioned with a small bow.

“Yes Mipsy. This is going to be Harry’s room when he isn’t visiting me. When he is here I want you to bring him his meals and snacks, starting with breakfast tomorrow. You’re also to tell me if those muggle relatives of his harm him or try to get rid of or take away anything I give him. Understand?” Severus informed his house elf.

“Yes Master Severus. I’s is understanding.” Mipsy said with several quick nods of her head.

“Very good. That will be all for now.” Severus dismissed the house elf and looked back to his son. “Well my Harry-Bean it looks like we shall be going to Diagon Ally today. Have you a spring cloak.” Severus seeing the confused look amended his statement. “erm… A spring jacket?”

“No sir. Dudley still fits his.” Harry explained. Most people would be confused by the statement, not seeing what Dudley had to do with Harry having a spring jacket, but Severus understood. The Dursleys wouldn’t buy anything for Harry so if their son was still using it Harry would have to go without until the whale boy was done with it.

“Very well perhaps we will stop and get you a couple outfits today as well at least enough to get you through until this weekend.” Severus smiled down at his son and held out his hand.

Harry eagerly took hold and grinned up at his father, with absolute trust shinning in his eyes. Harry just knew that even though he couldn’t live with his Papa, the way that his cousin Dudley got to live with his, things were going to get better now. Someone loved him now.

With a quiet crack Severus apparated them to the courtyard behind the Leaky Cauldron. Taking out his wand and tapping the appropriate brick before looking down at his son with a grin “Welcome Harry, to Diagon Alley.”

“Wow! There’s so much.” Harry squealed.

“So there is, so there is. Unfortunately we do not have enough time to explore today and still get what we need done. Of course we will return this weekend and then we can look around more.” He finished and gave a chuckle as his son literally bounced at the idea of coming back. Adjusting his grip on Harry’s hand he began to lead his son through the alley. Severus stopped in front of a business called Home Designs.

“What are we doing here Papa?” Harry questioned. It didn’t look like a store to him. As they entered there was a round table with several chairs on the left, the right side had one desk and behind the desk attached to the wall seemed to be a lot of different woods and tiles and other such things.

“This is a business that specializes in building and remodeling homes. We shall get someone here to go and paint your walls and put down the carpet you want.” Severus told him as someone walked in from the back.

“We’ll it sounds like some little boy is getting a new bedroom.” The friendly man commented, winking at Harry. “I’m Sherman Williams, owner of Home Designs. I take it you have a pretty good idea of what you want done?” He introduced himself while steering the father and son towards the table.

“Indeed. Young Harry would like murals on his walls. Three of them with the depiction of a forest with animals,”

“That move” Harry piped in. ”You said I could have animals that moved and stars that sparkled.” He quickly reminded his father.

“Yes I did. But, Harry, you shouldn’t interrupt people when they are talking. You should wait until they are done before taking your turn.” Severus reprimanded him as gently as possible. He didn’t want his son to think that he shouldn’t voice his thoughts and ideas just that he should wait his turn.

Harry swallowed hard but gave his father a nod. “Sorry” he said quietly.

“It’s ok Harry. I’m not mad.” Severus pulled the boy from the chair onto his lap and then looked back to Mr. Williams. “Sorry about that. As I was saying Harry would like three of his walls to have a Forest motif with moving animals. The fourth wall should have a castle such as Hogwarts in the distance. And as you might have guessed from my son’s input that we would like the ceiling done up to look like the night sky with the stars charmed to sparkle at night.”

“Well that shouldn’t take to long, maybe an hour or so. Unless you want a custom mural design, that will take longer. Will there be any flooring changes?” Mr. Williams asked as he made notes on the parchment in front of him.

“I don’t think we’ll need anything custom at this time. Harry here has expressed an interest in having I believe it was fluffy…” Severus trailed off and looked at his son inquiringly and at Harry’s nod continued, “Green carpet. I’d also like to see a new window, trim and doors. I should tell you that my son lives with his muggle Aunt and Uncle. The paintings and such will have to be charmed not to move when they are present. I would also like my son’s closet charmed larger with a bathroom installed. Will this be a problem?”

“Not at all, we’ve worked on several muggleborn houses, which needed such charms so that they could invite their muggle friends over and still have a Wizarding home. We had a cancellation today so we would be able to start on your request in about two hours. Although we can charm the room size, we won’t be able to start on installing the actually bathroom until Friday. Once we get the bathroom installed you won’t be able to use it for twenty-four hours, to give the installation and sticking charms time to set. If that is acceptable I can get you some of our sample books so you can choose the actual carpet color and murals you would like as well as the other stuff.”

“Certainly” Severus responded.

The books were brought over and the two were left alone to choose styles and colors. Harry quickly chose the mural of Hogwarts out of the twenty available castle designs but picking out the forest design proved much harder. There were pages upon pages of designs. Eventually Harry chose one with tree branches that actually came out of the walls creating a kind of canopy over the bed. The walls were filled with lush forest and animals both muggle and magical prancing about. While Harry was choosing the murals for his walls his father chose bathroom fixtures and colors.

An hour and a half after entering Home Designs Severus and his son stepped out the door with a written agreement in hand. Everything except the bathroom would be done by the time the two finished their shopping. Severus glanced at his magical time piece and decided that they would go to A Childs Life. It was the only store that Lucius Malfoy, Severus’s best friend and fellow spy, would shop for his son at. And considering Malfoy standards, Severus was sure he would get top quality clothing and such for his son there.

“Ok Harry we are going to go and get you something clothing and maybe a toy or two. Then we will stop and have dinner before going and picking out your bedroom furniture ok?” Severus informed his son as he steered him along the alleyway.

“Yes Papa” Harry said as he trotted to keep pace with his fathers long legged strides.

Severus noticed his sons hurried trot and with a rueful sigh he slowed down. “Harry if I am going to fast just let me know ok? I don’t want to make you run to keep up with me.” Severus said.

Harry smiled up at his father and gave a nodded. They continued on to the store at a much slower pace. When Harry entered A Childs Life he was amazed at all the clothing, toys, books and other odds and ends that the store carried. It seemed like everything you could ever want or need was in there. At least if you were a child.

Severus was approached by a young sales clerk who offered to help them find the clothing they needed and quickly performed a spell to tell her Harry’s size after Severus confessed that he didn’t know what size clothing Harry wore.

Claire was a little surprised that the well dressed man had no idea what size clothing his son wore but was more than happy to help out. After telling the man his sons pant and shirt sizes she offered to find under clothing for him and meet them over by the shoes so that Harry could pick out a new pair to which Severus quickly agreed stating that he would only be buying enough clothing for two days and then he would bring Harry back over the weekend when there was more time to look through everything and get him a full wardrobe.

Severus bought his son a pair of black trousers and a pair of grey corduroys that Harry seemed to like. Harry picked out a soft cable knit green and blue sweater with grey snakes along the bottom hem. He also found a white pull over with a black panther on the front.

“Well Harry-Bean I think that will do you until we can come back this weekend. Shall we go find you a pair of shoes?” Severus smiled over at his son.

“Pajamas?” Harry questioned with his head cocked slightly to the side.

Severus gave a small chuckle. “Yes I think your right. You will be needing night clothes. Let’s go find those then we can head over to the shoes.”

Harry took his fathers offered hand and followed him over to the back wall of the boys clothing section where the pajamas where stacked on shelves. Harry’s stomach gave a loud growl and Severus smiled softly at his son and suggested that they finished up with the clothes and shoes then get something to eat and they could come back for the toys. Harry quickly agreed and the pajamas and shoes where chosen in short order and everything was paid for.

Severus led his son to the Leaky Cauldron for dinner. Harry ate slowly and with small bites trying to make his portion last a long time to convince himself that he’d had enough to eat. It wasn’t until the Potion Master ordered extra rolls and asked Harry if he wanted more milk that Harry seemed to understand that he could eat until he was full, no matter how many servings that took. Harry ate two bowls of stew, several rolls and drank three glasses of milk before he was done and ready to finish shopping.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=648