Cultures Collide by Demonic Angel
Summary: This is my response to Severitus Challenge with little twists along the way....Please note that this whole story was completely finished a month before OotP came out......Chapters 21 & 22 finally added
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hermione, Lily, Lucius, Original Character, Petunia, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Vernon, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 23 Completed: No Word count: 74933 Read: 64498 Published: 26 Mar 2005 Updated: 29 Jun 2006
First Steps by Demonic Angel

"Lucius, step forward!"

Stepping forward he bowed before Voldemort. "Yes my Lord. How may I be of service?"

"Did I not instruct you to have your child keep an eye on Severus?"

"Yes my Lord you did. From what I understand he has been following your orders."

"What new information has he provided you with?"

"None as of yet my Lord."

"I am extremely disappointed with you Lucius. You have been too soft on the boy."

"My Lord, I have been training him non-stop during the holidays so that he may service you well."

"Have you bothered to check on the company he keeps?"

"He associates only with those whom shall also service you, my Lord."

"Liar! Crucio!" Voldemort continued as removed the curse. ""I have since received work that young Draco has befriended Potter and his companions."

"My Lord, they are mistaken. The child would never betray you."

"Once again you lie. Crucio!" Voldemort cursed once again. "I have heard this from numerous sources. Are you trying to tell me that everyone here is lying?"

"No my Lord."

"I was expecting that since he has become so close to Potter then you would have at least redeemed your family name by informing me of the other information that I have received."

Lucius didn't reply.

"I am highly disappointed in you. I am beginning to question your loyalty to me."

"My Lord, I have remained ever faithful."

"Then why did you not inform me that our friend, Severus, is actually the true father of the boy." Voldemort cursed Lucius once again, each time stronger and longer than the time before.

"My Lord, I will deal with Draco and he will pay for his disobedience to you."

"I expect no less from you. If I receive further information that puts your loyalty in question I shall see fit to end your feeble existence."

"Yes my Lord."

"Lucius, just one more reminder of your disobedience. CRUCIO" This time Voldemort left the curse on him for about 5 minutes waiting for Lucius to finally scream with pain but instead he only became unconscious.

*****************************

Harry work up from his vision and noticed Draco wrenching back and forth in his sleep. "Draco wake up." Harry noticed there was no response from his roommate.

"Jamie, wake up."

"What's wrong?"

"Watch Draco I'm getting Snape." Harry stated as Jamie looked over at his friend and immediately noticed what was going on. He grabbed his wand and immediately ran to Severus' quarters. When he arrived he noticed the door was locked so he started pounding on it but unfortunately there was no answer. Harry then pointed the wand at the door and said "Alohomora!" The door immediately unlocked and Harry went running into his father's bedroom. "Sir, Sir, Wake up!"

The boy standing over his bed shaking him startled Severus awake. "Harry, calm down. What's wrong?"

"It's Draco, Voldemort knows and was punishing his father and...and..."

"Ok, ok, calm down. Tell me where he is."

"He's in our dorm room."

"Ok, I need you to go wake up Madame Pomphrey. If I'm correct then Draco's going to need some medical attention."

"Yes sir." Harry said as he ran as fast as he could to the hospital wing while Severus ran to the fifth year boy's dorm.

"Draco, Draco. Wake up." Still as before there was no response.

"Uncle Sev, if he gonna be alright?"

Severus looked over the boy "I'm not sure, looks like Voldemort was quite upset with his father."

"But why?"

"He most likely believes that because of Draco's actions the past few weeks, Lucius has been disloyal to him."

"But to put that strong of a curse on him? He never cursed you that much did he?"

"That is because Lucius is a higher rank than I. Also Draco and Harry have a stronger connection to Voldemort through Lucius and I and as they get older it will continue to increase until they receive their marks." Severus stated as he picked up the boy. "I'm going to get him to Poppy, you get on back to bed. We don't need you missing any classes tomorrow."

"Yes, sir."

Severus carried Draco to the infirmary where Pomphrey and Harry were waiting. "I need you two to wait out in the hall. I have already notified Dumbledore and he is on his way here."

The two nodded and left the room. Finally Dumbledore approached. "Harry, I need you to tell us exactly what you saw."

"Well, there was a meeting and Voldemort called Mr. Malfoy before him. He started accusing him of betraying him. When Mr. Malfoy denied it he cursed him and said that he knew that Draco was friends with the rest of us. Mr. Malfoy then stated how he would be taking care of Draco and then Voldemort cursed him again only stronger."

"You heard all this?" Dumbledore asked.

"Well, no. With all the dreams and visions I've had, I have been learning how to read lips."

"Why didn't you inform us of this sooner?"

"Because I'm not always sure if what I was reading was correct or not."

"Are you sure this time?" Severus asked.

"After seeing Draco go through that, yes sir I am."

Albus looked over at Severus, "Looks to me like we've come up with some additional help here."

"Only as long as Voldemort doesn't realize how much Harry is actually capable of."

Madame Pomphrey entered the hallway and everyone looked over at her. "Before you ask I will let you know. I have done all that I can for him. Looks like he's going to have to fight the rest of the way on his own."

"How bad is he?" Harry asked.

"It's going to be a rough night and he needs plenty of rest. Don't worry, he's just sleeping right now but he's going to be in a lot of pain the next few days.:

"I have to go let Ginny know."

"Harry you can't. It's the middle of the night and you don't live there anymore.' Dumbledore stated.

"Yeah, but..."

"I'm sorry Harry but I cannot allow you to go in there. At least you were there for Draco, otherwise we wouldn't have known until morning." Dumbledore stated.

Severus glanced at his son and said, "Come on, maybe Professor McGonagall will bring her out of her dorm. I will talk with her."

Harry smiled, "Thank you."

"No thank you for deciding to transfer houses. Looks like it just may be better for everyone."

"Well maybe."

When they reached McGonagall's office Severus quickly explained the situation to Minerva whom then went to get Ginny from her dorm. Ginny quickly came down and the two professors let Harry explain to Ginny what had happened to Draco. "May I go see him?" she asked.

"I'm sorry Miss Weasley, Mr Malfoy is sleeping and needs his rest right now. Although I do not see why you wouldn't be able to visit in the morning." Severus replied. "Mr Potter, It's getting late. I need to get you back to your dorm then I'll go and make sure Mr Malfoy is alright."

"Alright. Gins, I'll see you in the morning."

Ginny sniffled, "Alright."

"Hey, don't worry. He'll be ok." Harry tried reassuring her. Ginny just nodded and she went back up to her room while Severus and Harry headed back to the dungeons.

Nothing was said between the two during the walk back until finally they reached the portal. "Are you going to be alright?"

"Sir?"

"Professor Lupin said you have been having problems sleeping. I can only conclude that it's due to your visions. Will you be alright?"

"It's due to some nightmares not the visions. But I think I'll be alright."

"Alright, if you are sure. If you need anything, you know where you can find me."

"Um, yes sir. Thank you." Harry said as he entered his dorm. As he lay in his bed he could not stop thinking of how much things had changed. Snape was starting to treat him as he did over the summer or even on weekends. It was unnerving for Harry to see him this way, especially around others. He quickly dismissed it as part of his job as Head of the house. Harry soon fell into a very restless sleep.

*****************************

Severus returned to the hospital wing to check on Draco before returning to his quarters. As he approached the room Dumbledore greeted him. "Ah Severus, I thought you would return tonight."

Severus stood and stared into the room through the window in the door. "Has there been any improvement?"

"I am glad to say there has. His heart rate has returned to normal now and he is finally sleeping as peacefully as to be expected. I cannot comprehend how Voldemort could have had so many followers when they were inflicted with this much pain at such a young age."

"It's always been a means to make them/us stronger. Unfortunately with him being gone for so long the boys haven't grown accustom to it."

"It's still not right." Stated Dumbledore. "By the way, How is Harry adjusting to everything?"

"That is hard to say. He spends most of his time with his friends or Remus and Sirius. We are barely ever alone to talk so I'm not quite sure. I still don't think he will ever accept the truth but also I cannot blame him either."

"Well he did go to you for help tonight, did he not?"

"I'm his Head of House, who else would he turn to?"

"There were many nights he use to come directly to me instead of Minerva. It seems as he is trying, just let him do this in his own time and you will continue to see a difference."

"And if he doesn't come around?"

"He will. He just comes from two very stubborn parents who if I remember right also had problems adjusting to their new guardians at one point."

"I remember, I'm surprised that cat they had survived all the curses I threw at it." Severus smiled "I'll never forget Lily's face when she saw it had a head on each end and it was trying to run in two different directions. She didn't talk to me for weeks after that."

Dumbledore smiled "See what I mean. You finally came around and so will he. Now why don't you head back to the dungeons. There is nothing more you can do for Mr. Malfoy tonight."

Severus looked in the room once again then nodding he left. When he entered his chambers he started looking through his bookcase for something to read when he came across Lily's diary. He flipped through the pages then stared at the photo again this time smiling at the memory. Finally while holding the two in his hand he turned and left heading back to the dungeons. Once he arrived Severus heard some mumbling coming from the fifth year boy's dorm. I will kill those two if they dare to touch the boys. He thought. Severus quickly and quietly proceeded to the doorway but found Crabbe, Goyle, and Jamie all sleeping peacefully. He stood in the doorway listening for the sounds again, just when he was about to turn away they started up. Severus looked at the boys again but this time noticed they were coming from Harry. He must be having one of his nightmares. He approached Harry's bed, pulled the scattered covers back over him then placed his hand on his forehead. Harry quit tossing at that point so Severus quickly placed the book on the nightstand and went back to his own room.

The presence hovering over him startled Harry but he was afraid to move or even show that he was awake. When he noticed it gone he sat up and saw the professor leaving. He then glanced at his nightstand and saw his mother's diary sitting there then he glared at the doorway once again. "He stops by every night since you moved in." Jamie said.

"But why?"

"You tell me, why do you think he does?" Jamie mumbled as he went back to sleep not waiting for an answer.

Harry picked up the diary and took the picture out from between the pages, this time there was another photo along with it. He watched the photo of what looked like a barbecue. There were three small children covered with barbecue sauce. Two of them were fighting (had to be his cousins) while the third clumsily wobbled over with a messy rib bone in his hand and climbed onto a man's lap. Harry then turned the photo over and it said First Steps, September 1986. When he watched the photo again he noticed that the smiling man the child climbed on was Snape. Harry placed the photo back into the book and went back to sleep, this time without the nightmares.

*****************************

~A few days later~

The kids were once again sitting in the stands of the pitch this time watching the Slytherin team practice. When it was over with they were looking for something to do to pass the time. "You guys up for something different?" Jamie asked.

"What have you got in mind?" asked Ginny.

"How about football, guys against the girls."

"And you think that we would be able to tackle you guys?" Bria asked.

"Nah, we played all the time back home. It was guy tackle girl touch. We're going to need more players though." Ann said.

"I'll go get the ball, Ginny, you get Fred and George, and Bria why don't you get Chloe. Meet us back in the courtyard." Jamie said. Everyone went his or her different ways including Draco whom went with Jamie to get out of his gear. Finally they met at the courtyards and Jamie pointed out the boundaries and goal lines.

Finally the game got started and as it proceeded other friends finally joined in on it as well. After awhile of the guys just letting the girls have the ball so they could tackle them it was thrown to Bria. As she raced for the goal line Harry tried picking her up and running the opposite way when he heard a growl. He no longer was watching where he was going and went right into the hedges. "What did you do that for?" yelled Bria.

"I thought I heard your father growling at me again."

"Get your hearing checked, that was me."

"Why did you growl at me?"

"I was two feet from the goal line. What did you expect me to do?"

"Well I didn't expect you to growl. Give me your hand, I'll help you up." Harry then pulled Bria out of the center of the hedges "Where's the ball?"

Bria kissed him on the cheek and whispered. "Turn around.' When Harry did he noticed that Chloe was on the other end of the goal line jumping up and down cheering.

"Guys come here" Harry called out. "Jamie this is great tackling them and all but we got an audience now and we can't lose to them."

"Come on boys, are you gonna play or admit your defeat already?" Ann called out.

"We were just having fun before, your in trouble now sis."

"Oh you think so huh? Ok then, how about if the losers make dinner for the winners?"

"Wait a second. That's fine for you guys, you don't eat in the hall on weekends. What about the rest of us?" stated Lavender.

Ann thought for a moment. "They get to be your personal waiters or you their personal waitresses. Is everyone in agreement?"

Everyone thought about it and agreed so they continued on with the game as it progressed late into the afternoon and half the students and professors were gathered around watching the fun. As time went on they were tied at 21 each when Ginny caught the ball once again and as she started running Draco immediately tackled her knocking her to the ground on her back. When she went to get up he was straddling her smiling until he heard his name called out by a very familiar voice. Draco immediately jumped to his feet standing at attention as his father made his way through the crowd. "So are the rumors true or has my son just found a temporary play thing?" Lucius asked as he looked from his son down to Ginny who was still on the ground. Harry and Jamie went and stood behind Draco as the girls tried helping Ginny off the ground. Lucius looked at Ginny a little closer using his snake head cane to lift her chin upwards. "Well looks like Weasley has finally produced something that just may bring a decent wage, as long as she is trained properly."

As the kids stared at the man circling them when a snarl escaped from Bria. Lucius looked her up and down reaching out to touch her hair. "I have heard plenty about you my dear. Such beautiful fur you have unlike your father." Lucius glanced at Remus who had just arrived and was being held back by Sirius. "I am sure your pelt would bring in quite a tidy sum."

"Leave her alone." Ordered Harry as he stepped between the two.

"Mr. Potter, is that actually you? I hardly even recognized you with your new look. If I hadn't seen it for myself I would have never believed that your father of all people would pollute his family lineage with a Mudblood whore."

"You leave them out of this." Harry said.

"My dear boy, they are very much a part of this. But that doesn't matter anymore. You will do so well when it is your time to ser..."

"Lucius!"

"Ah, Severus. My old friend. I can see now that congratulations are in order."

"Harry, you and your friends head back to my quarters now." Severus said, "Thank you Lucius. Now I must ask, why are you here?"

"I have come to have a private talk with my son and check up on his progress this term." Lucius held out his cane blocking Draco from leaving with the others.

"In regards to Draco's progress, he has improved quite well. He is one of the top students in his class. As for this private talk you wish to have with him, I suggest you use my office but only after you remove your hand from the boy's neck."

Lucius agreed and Severus led them onto his office. Once there he unlocked the door and let them in while he waited in the classroom. Once the office door was closed Remus and Sirius entered the classroom. "Sev, do you realize what you are doing to that boy?" Sirius asked.

Severus listened to Lucius yell at his son and then Draco scream out in pain. "Yes I do. Something that should have been done along time ago."

"I can't believe you are just going to sit there and let him torture the boy." Remus said.

"I'm not just doing nothing, now if you would keep your voice down you will soon see why."

Draco screamed again and soon after Lucius opened the office door and started heading out of the room. "Severus, I do appreciate the use of your office. I am sure we will see each other again soon."

"One moment Lucius. I think it's time that you and I had a talk." Severus said. " I believe that for Draco's safety he would be better off staying here at the school during the holidays. Accio recorder."

"Why would I agree to something like that?"

"Well I do have something that I'm sure the Ministry would be very interested in."

"And what would that be?"

"This little item. It's something I took from Ms. Black during class the other day. It's a Muggle recording device that she charmed to work here on the grounds." Severus continued. "I'm sure there are people out there that would be very interested in knowing that someone of your stature would not only use Unforgivable curses, but that you use them on your own child."

"Fatherhood has definitely made you weak Severus. The Dark Lord will hear of your actions."

"That I do not doubt at all. Good-day Lucius." Severus said as he glared at his former housemate. Lucius turned and immediately stormed out of the school and off the grounds. As soon as he was gone Sev let out a deep sigh.

"Sev, what did you just do?" Remus asked.

"I stopped him." He replied as he helped Draco back to his quarters.

"Do you realize that you just put yourself at more of a risk now. Once Voldemort hears of this.."

"You can save the speech Black, I am quite aware of what could happen now."

When they reached Severus' quarters they noticed Ginny waiting in the corridor. "Ginny, why are you out here?" Remus asked.

"Well everyone is over at Bria's and I wanted to wait to see if Draco was alright."

"I'm fine Ginny. I just need some rest. Sort of over did it today I guess." Draco lied.

"Ok, if you're sure. I guess I'll see you later."

As Ginny started walking away Draco grabbed her hand and pulled her back. "What no goodnight kiss?" Ginny just stared at him. "Hey, forget about my father, he doesn't know what he's talking about. I would never see you that way."

"I know." She said as she gave him a quick kiss then went onto join the others.

As soon as Severus got Draco settled in and gave him some Dreamless Sleep potion he collapsed into his chair. He started rubbing his temple when there was a knock at the door. "Come in" he grumbled.

"Sorry sir, I'll come back later."

Severus looked up and noticed Harry standing in the open door. "No, come on in. It's alright."

"I just wanted to tell you. Um, Uncle Sirius told us what happened and I um, wanted to say thanks. That was pretty cool of you."

Severus glared at the boy. "Pretty cool huh? Sounds like you've been hanging around with your cousin a bit too much." Harry just shrugged. "I suppose I should say thank you for the compliment."

"They also wanted me to let you know that dinner is just about ready."

"Fine, let's get over there then."

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please Review


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=667