Cultures Collide by Demonic Angel
Summary: This is my response to Severitus Challenge with little twists along the way....Please note that this whole story was completely finished a month before OotP came out......Chapters 21 & 22 finally added
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hermione, Lily, Lucius, Original Character, Petunia, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Vernon, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 23 Completed: No Word count: 74933 Read: 64837 Published: 26 Mar 2005 Updated: 29 Jun 2006
Shopping Day by Demonic Angel

Meanwhile at the Dursleys

Harry was getting ready to leave for The Burrow the next day. For the first time in a week his Aunt and Uncle finally let him out of his room to get himself cleaned and fixed up before he was to leave. As he looked in the mirror he noticed that there had been quite a few changes since he left school a short time ago. Not only had he lost a tremendous amount of weight from being fed practically bread and water the whole time but his hair was now just past his shoulders, and he had grown a good 4 inches. As for some of the changes he noticed in his face he just figured that they were caused by the lack of nourishment, the others he would make sure he asked his Uncle Remus about.

As Harry packed his belongings he noticed one of his birthday presents still wrapped up. I don't remember seeing this one earlier he though. As he opened it up he noticed it was a diary and right inside was a note from his mother.

30 September 1986

My Darling Harry,

I know by now you have a lot of questions about your life. As you read this hopefully you will understand and forgive your father and I. I wish we could have been there all these years for you, to see you grow into a fine young man like your 3 uncles and your father were or still are. Since you are reading this that means this is now your 15th birthday and you are turning into a man. As time goes on you will notice some changes taking place throughout the next few months. You will no doubt start looking more and more like your father. My baby, I hope you will understand and in time forgive your father, we were young at the time and he had certain family loyalties he had to live up to. It has taken me awhile to understand and forgive him myself and I prey that you have it in your heart to give him the chance to be the loving man I once knew along time ago.

I love you more than anything else in this world,

Your Mum,

Lily Evans

Harry was more confused than ever. Harry sat and thought to himself: Ok yes I have questions I know at least 2 of my uncles, after all, nobody ever mentioned that Peter was like an uncle to me so where did the 3rd one come from???? What did she mean I will look more like my father? From what I have heard my whole life, I look exactly like him other than having my mom's eyes.

Harry ran to find a mirror from his trunk. Yes at least his eyes were still the same as always, What else is there to make me look more like him? Understand and forgive my father? If only he didn't die with her. What could he have done to my mother to make her think he needed forgiving? Everyone told me that my parents were so much in love, so what is this about being a loving man along time ago???? Great just what I need is more questions about my life. Not like I don't have enough as it is.

The curiosity ate at him but Harry knew that if he wanted to see his friends and leave the abusive hellhole he was in he had to wait a little longer so into his trunk went his mother's diary. Harry then finished packing and lay down to get some sleep.

******************************

The next day as a car horn blew from outside, Harry grabbed his trunk and hurried out the door before his uncle could even get up from the breakfast table. The last thing in the world Harry wanted was to have another incident with his family, especially in front of Hermione and her parents. As soon as he climbed into the car Mr. Granger pulled away since he really didn't wish to deal with Harry's relatives either. Not too much longer Mr. Granger pulled up in front of the Leaky Cauldron, kissed Hermione goodbye, slipped her some money for supplies and bid farewell to Harry.

The two of them entered the facility and sat down for a drink while they waited for their friends. As they sat there Remus came up and joined them for a bit. About 10 minutes later the Weasley clan arrived will Mrs. Weasley announcing that she expected them home in time for dinner. Everyone was so glad to see each other that there were hugs and handshakes all around. At that time Remus broke to news to everyone, "I know you are really going to be disappointed this year but you do need to know." As the kids looked a bit confused as Remus continued, "I was offered and I accepted the Charms position this year."

All three children cheered, Hermione hugged Remus, Ron shook his hand and when Harry attempted to shake his hand he was pulled into a hug. As Harry went to sit back down without looking he felt someone else in his chair. "Now Harry, what would people say, first you hug one man and then you sit on the lap of another?" Sirius said with a smirk.

As Ron and Hermione laughed, Harry jumped out of shock. He then turned around to see who it was. "You shouldn't be here like that...you'll get caught!"

"Well Harry, while you were gone during the summer there have been quite a few changes around here. First of all Peter was finally caught and he also confessed to everything. Then because of his confession, Dumbledore pretty much gave Fudge no other choice than to drop the charges against me."

"Does that mean that I don't have to go back to the Dursley's?" Harry asked.

Sirius and Remus nodded "Yes but, we will have to talk about that another time. You kids still need to get your supplies before Mrs. Weasley gets back."

Everyone got up and left their table to enter Diagon Alley. Remus was the last to leave as he dug through his pockets so he could leave the tip. As he walked out the back door Dannie, Severus, and Bria all came down the stairs. Entering the room Dannie noticed a vaguely familiar scent in the air that she had not sensed in years.

******************************

As Severus and the ladies sat down for breakfast, Dannie asked him about the instructors that would be tutoring her daughter.

Snape replied: "Let's see there's Professor McGonagall who teaches Transfiguration, the ability to change one object into another, she is an Animagus and head of Gryffindor House. Professor Binns teaches History of Magic. I teach Potions and I am the head of the Slytherin House. This year we have Sirius Black teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts. He was an Auror before sentenced to Azkaban. Also he will be teaching Animagi Studies to the fifth through seventh year students. And last of all there is Professor Lupin who use to teach DADA but now will teach Charms, I must let you know he is a werewolf."

Dannie and Bria glanced at each other when Dannie said, "Couldn't be, that was back home and with his carelessness around traps he is probably gone by now."

Severus raised an eyebrow and quietly pondered what he overheard.

Finally Bria asked. "What is this Animagus that you mentioned?"

"It is the ability to learn how to change into your sprit animal and how to manage the pain of changing. At the time the students receive their NEWT in the course they will also be registered with the Ministry of Magic."

Bria said. "You have to actually learn to shape-shift? I thought it was only done by those born with the gift."

"My apologies Miss Lightpaws but if I understand you correctly, your people are born Anim- Shape Shifters as you call it? In our world that is extremely rare, and for those who aren't, without the proper training so much can go wrong."

Dannie started "Mr. Snape."

"Professor."

"I am not one of your students so I repeat. Mr. Snape, in our world being a Shape Shifter is not something very common, maybe one in a thousand have the ability and still must have a parent that also has the gift. Not only that but Shape Shifters are considered evil and looked down upon" Dannie looked at her daughter and continued, "Now before you ask, yes I am a Shape Shifter but that is my only gift. As for my daughter, she had no choice but to be one not only because of me but because her father was a..."

"Werewolf" Snape finished. "He was also a Wizard wasn't he?"

"We are not sure if he was or not, I only knew him during one cycle and I didn't know what he was until daybreak. What we do know is that he was a white-man by Bria's coloring." Dannie continued, "I suppose he must have been a wizard because if any ancestor in my family possessed her talents then they would have been killed immediately. That is the reason I agreed to let Bria come here. Her powers grow stronger and were becoming impossible to hide."

Snape nodded and handed Dannie a bag of coins. "Here is the currency you requested that I have changed for you. There is more than enough to pickup her supplies. I must speak to the Headmaster but I will meet you back here this evening." Then he led them into Diagon Alley, handed Bria her supply list then apparated to Hogwarts.

******************************

As Remus and Sirius roamed around Diagon Alley with the trio, Sirius asked, "Have you noticed the change in Harry?"

"Yes I have. He's most likely received Lily's diary by now and has a lot of questions about it."

"I'm going to talk to Molly and ask her to send Harry to Hogwarts at the end of the week. Maybe he'll feel comfortable talking to one of us about it."

"I suggest we ask him first though."

They agreed then joined the kids in Madam Malkin's robes shop. As they entered they noticed Hermione was being measured while Harry and Ron were talking to someone new and her mother. Sirius snickered, "Hmmm, New blood" and winking at Remus he went up and introduced themselves to Harry's new friends. Remus stayed back with a strange but familiar feeling in the pit of his stomach. There is something familiar about her. He thought as he looked at Dannie.

"Hello ladies. I see you've met my Godson, Harry, here. I am Sirius Black and the bum behind me is Remus Lupin. We are both professors at Hogwarts."

Dannie looked at her daughter and then at Remus. Could he actually be? Then she noticed his limp. Oh shit that scent, it can't... "Hello. Professor Snape already told us about you. I am Gabriella Lightpaws and this is my mother, Danielle."

Dannie nodded to the two men but not once taking her eyes off Lupin. Sirius noticed this and thought. Well, well. Looks like wolfy boy has an admirer. Maybe she can help him break out of this slump he's been in ever since he came back from his last trip.

Sirius said. "So you have met our Potions Master already have you?"

"Yes, Mr. Black. Mr. Snape was sent to meet my daughter and I at the airport in St. Paul and he was kind enough to escort us back here." Dannie stated. "In fact, he will be meeting us at the Leaky Cauldron tonight to take us onto Hogwarts so that Bria can catch up in her studies."

Harry smiled at Bria. "So you'll be at Hogwarts? What year and where are you transferring from?"

She explained to him that although she was starting out as a 4th year, she was going early so that she could be tutored to catch up.

Noticing the look Harry was giving the girl, Sirius nudged Remus and asked. "So Harry as we started to talk about earlier. Since you are going to The Burrow tonight, would you like to join us at Hogwarts next week since Remus and I are now living there?"

Harry bit down on his lip just like his mom use to and glaring at his uncles then said. "Um, sure why not. Besides it will give Ron and Hermione some alone time. OUCH!" as Ron elbowed Harry hard.

The seven of them spent the rest of the afternoon together until Mrs. Weasley arrived to pickup the kids and then used the Floo Powder to leave. Severus immediately arrived to escort Dannie and Bria onto Hogwarts when he noticed some similarities between Remus and Bria. As they all prepared to use a Portkey back to the school grounds, Severus and Remus looked at each other and said in unison, "We need to talk".

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=667