Cultures Collide by Demonic Angel
Summary: This is my response to Severitus Challenge with little twists along the way....Please note that this whole story was completely finished a month before OotP came out......Chapters 21 & 22 finally added
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hermione, Lily, Lucius, Original Character, Petunia, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Vernon, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 23 Completed: No Word count: 74933 Read: 64801 Published: 26 Mar 2005 Updated: 29 Jun 2006
Family Bonds by Demonic Angel
Author's Notes:

I've received a few complaints on not having 'Mary Sue' warnings. To be honest I have to tell you, they are not necessary for there is mention that there are original characters....and I do know the difference between the two, now do you?.

If you want to tell me who you really think the 'Mary-Sue' is then feel free to place that in the comments....also make sure you come back to read my response. You may just learn something about the author.

Sirius heard his Godson/nephew's scream and he turned around. There he noticed the boy collapsed to his hands and knees in exhaustion while rubble littered the ground around him. As Harry knelt on the ground not wanting to get up he slammed his fist into the ground and quietly said "No. Dad no!” He then leaned back on his legs, brushed his hair back from his face and looked through tear stained eyes to the direction on where they disappeared and thought I should have known this was going to happen. I always know when Voldemort's going to attack. Why didn't I know about this one? No burning, no dreams, nothing.

Bria quietly walked up from behind him. "Harry?" He slowly acknowledged her presence by reaching up and taking her hand in his.

Sirius then approached the two and placed a hand on Harry's back to help him up. Harry jerked away from the touch and glared at him while he said, "You left him. I saw it. You knew they would want to capture him for hiding me and you went off and left him alone. Do not come near me again." Sirius immediately stepped back from him.

"Harold James!" Remus shouted as he heard the boy's words.

"Remus no, he's right. I did know that they wanted him and I did leave him to fight alone. For that I am sorry." Sirius continued, "Harry, you need to know. There were others in trouble that needed help too. I wouldn't have left him if I didn't think he couldn't handle himself."

"Sirius you were not..."

"Remie, please. We have to get back to the school. I need to know if the rest of the kids are there." Sirius said as he slowly turned and headed towards the castle.

Bria then helped Harry back onto his feet and they also headed back while Remus and Dannie followed behind. When they reached the school Albus and Minerva greeted them at the front door. Albus looked over the five of them and said, "Where are Severus and the rest of the children?"

"They have him." Harry said as he stared at the floor.

"Albus, I'm taking these two to see Pomphrey." Minerva said and led Harry and Bria to the very crowded hospital wing.

"Which children are missing?" Sirius fearfully asked.

The older man placed his hand on Sirius' shoulder and said, "I'm sorry but the twins, Draco, Ginny, and Ron have not reported back yet. When did you last see them?"

Sirius took a deep breath and said "They all ran into Honeydukes just before it exploded." He then started to stumble and grabbed onto the wall for support.

Remus walked over to him and said, "Come on, we need to check the passageway. They could still be down there."

"I don't think they had enough time to get there. It all happened so fast."

"Siri, come on. We still need to make sure. Albus will you get the other professors to help us. That passage leads underground and I'm afraid we may need some help down there."

Sirius didn't say another word, just quietly followed. Just then Fred and George arrived, "Professor Lupin, we just saw Harry, where is Ron and Ginny?"

"We think they are still down in the passageway. Why don't you two come with us just in case we need your help."

Albus went and gathered up some of the teachers leaving the remaining to watch over the students.

*****************************

~ Meanwhile ~

"Is everyone alright?" Matt asked as he sat up shaking the dirt from his hair.

"It's a little hard to breathe with all the dust but other than that, yeah." Ginny replied.

"What happened?" Ron asked

"The building exploded just as the door closed. That's what caused the cave in." Matt continued. "Back home we had heard that there were problems here but this...I never imagined anything like this before."

"This was the worse one we've seen. Usually it's just small attacks on a few homes." Draco stated. "This one was as if it was just thrown together and never truly planned out."

"How do you know so much about the attacks?" Matt asked.

Draco sighed, "My father. He has a pensive for each attack that he participates in. He use to make me watch and study them as part of my training." Ginny then wrapped her arm around his waist and rested her head against his shoulder.

When the dust finally cleared the kids all helped one another off the ground and started heading in the direction of the school. Finally they came to a dead end. "Ron are you sure we went the right way?" Jamie asked.

"Yes I'm sure; I have been in here to many times to get lost. Hang on, I have an idea." He said as he pulled out his wand.

"Ron no, the tunnel is to." Hermione started to say.

"Lumos" Ron said before anyone could stop him.

Just then the tunnel started shaking from the blast and more rubble fell down around them and they all screamed.

*****************************

"Professor Black, did you hear that?" George asked.

"I did" Remus said as he started running after Sirius who was already heading towards where the screaming came from and everyone followed along until they reached the all of debris.

"Jamie! Ann! Can you hear me?" Sirius shouted. The only sounds came from more dust that started falling down due to the noise. They quietly waited and carefully listened for a reply but there was none.

"Ok, the tunnel is too loose; we won’t be able to use magic to get them out. Fred, George, I need you two to go find Filch and have him gather up all the equipment he has that we can use to dig up through this." Remus said.

The boys ran to get the supplies and some of the older kids to help out. While they were gone the adults started removing what they could of the loose debris.

As Harry and Bria were entering the Great Hall from the infirmary they saw the two boys gathering up all the older students that they could. "What's going on?" He asked.

"Your uncles think they found them. The tunnel has caved in and they are still down there." Fred said.

"Wait up I'll join you." He said as he left Bria with her mom and the other students. On their way out they gathered up the shovels and pick-axes that Filch brought into the building.

When the children all arrived to the work site Remus looked at all of them. "Thank you for coming." He then looked to see who all was there. "Alright now, you, you, and you, I need the three of you to cast a supporting charm to keep any more of the rubble from falling while we remove all of this." He said to his top three seventh year students.

After a few exhausting hours of digging away at the wall they finally broke through and were hit by the smell of the stale air. As the fresh air filled the small room the seven kids were in they started to stir. Fred and George then instructed the two kids closest to them to let Madame' Pomphrey know that they found them and to get ready.

Once the hole was big enough the children started climbing out. Ron being the closest to the entrance he was the first one out. As he exited he reached out for support to keep from falling when Harry grabbed his arm. The two just stared at each other and nodded then helped the others out. As soon as Ann and Jamie emerged from the hole Sirius pulled the two into a huge bear hug while he fought back the tears. "Um, dad. You're squishing me" Ann coughed. Sirius just looked at her and smiled then purposely gave her another squishing hug. The seven kids wound up spending the night in the infirmary torturing Pomphrey the whole time since that was the next to the last place they wanted to be stuck for the night.

*****************************

"Harry, Remus and I would like to speak with you if you don't mind." Albus said. Harry nodded then followed the two men to the headmaster's office. When they entered Remus stood over by the window while Dumbledore motioned for Harry to sit down. "How are you doing after today?"

"I'm not sure. It all happened too fast." Harry replied.

"I know it did and I hate to bring it up but with your connections I must. Do you have any idea on what their plans are for your father?" Albus asked the boy.

"That's what I cannot understand I've always known about what Voldemort planned to do. There were no warnings this time...It...it just happened."

"Are you saying that your scar hasn't bothered you at all?" Remus asked.

"Yes sir."

"What about your dreams?"

"The same as they have been over the past few years. Just the way my mum and James died." Harry continued. "Sir, does this mean I'm no longer connected to Voldemort?"

"Unfortunately I really don't have any answers on that. I am just as puzzled as you are. If you feel or hear anything at all let your uncles or myself know immediately. Agreed?" Albus stated.

"Yes sir."

"You can head on back to your quarters if you'd like." Dumbledore said and the boy nodded and started to leave. "Oh Harry, one last thing."

"Sir?" he said as he turned around.

"Don't be too hard on Sirius. If he hadn't left Severus' side today then he wouldn't have been able to help the other students."

"I'll try sir." Harry continued out the door while Remus stayed behind.

"Do you think he was telling us everything?" Albus asked.

"I've been watching him closely the past few months and I honestly think that if he had any reason to think this could have happened then he would have said something."

"Even with knowing their past history you truly believe this."

"You know both of them as well as I do and although this has been awkward for the two of them, and as much as they will outwardly deny it. Harry has finally accepted and started caring for him as his father." Remus continued. "Is there any reason that you could think of that he wouldn't have known of Voldemort's plans to attack?"

"There is one thing but it's too hard to even imagine someone doing."

"What would that be?" Remus questioned

"Well you have seen the power that the Dark mark has over Voldemort's followers. How it makes them loyal first to him and then only their blood line."

"Of coarse, we see Sev fight it daily even with that counter curse James and I put on him."

"Well imagine someone who willingly follows Voldemort without taking the Mark. They choose to show him complete loyalty without any curses or magic keeping them there."

"Do you actually think that someone could be that evil to do such a thing?"

"I'm afraid the possibility is there." Dumbledore then sighed, "I need you to tell me everything that happened today as it happened."

Remus explained in full detail what went on that day in town.

*****************************

~ In a small dungeon cell ~

"Our master will be quite happy to see you again. He has some things he wishes to speak to you about."

"Then why am I here being held captive instead of meeting with him?" Severus asked.

"My mistress would like us to prepare you for his meeting."

"Your mistress?"

"Yes, your capture will surely make her our Lords next in command. Until then you are to be used as practice for the new recruits."

"You have to be joking. I have served the Dark Lord for sixteen years, as did my parents. He would not permit this." Severus stated.

"Maybe not to his most faithful but, you have betrayed him for far too long. We all thought you would have learned after the last time you refused to obey him."

"I have remained most loyal to the Dark Lord. How dare you make such accusations without proof."

"My Dear Severus, I beg to differ. Lord Voldemort knows all about how you have tainted your bloodlines with that filthy Mudblood and kept his existence a secret from him." Said a cloaked figure in the shadowed corner of the room.

"You know who I am are you going to at least let me know whom I was captured by? Your voice is vaguely familiar."

"You could say we have met before but as for who I am, that will remain a mystery." She continued, "Although I will introduce you to the new recruits."

Just then 5 children ranging between the ages of ten and twelve entered the cell. "You have got to be kidding. They are too young to be useful Death- eaters." Severus stated.

"Not quite. They are the perfect age to start their training. You see, even Lucius started training Draco at this age but the difference is that he allowed his son to go onto Hogwarts. These children will remain here and continue their training until they are of age to join his ranks. There will be no need for them to be so easily recognizable by the Dark Mark."

"That doesn't guarantee that they will still follow him."

"Why not? There is no reason that they won't as long as they remain in our care. Now students, you can practice any curse you have learned on him with the exception of the killing curse. You will need to keep him alive so that he may meet with the Dark Lord." With that she left the room leaving the children to their training.

*****************************

During the middle of the night Remus was awaken by a loud scream. He immediately sat up and listened again when he heard, "DAD! NO!" Remus then got up and knocked on the boy's door.

"Harry wake up. You’re having another nightmare." He said

"AAAHHHHH!"

Remus then tried to open the door but it was locked. "Accio Wand! Alohamora!" he then ran and saw the boy sitting curled up on his bed wrenching in pain. "Harry, what's going on?"

"The...they're torturing him." He said between grunts.

"Who? Voldemort?" but all Harry could do was shake his head. "You're going to the infirmary. Now." Remus stated as he levitated the boy up and out the door.

As they entered the hospital wing Sirius met them in the hallway. "Have you seen Albus?"

"No, but Harry needs Poppy's help." Remus put Harry in the room with the other children.

"I'll stay here with them and you get the headmaster." Sirius stated.

Remus looked over at the kids and noticed the twins were looking uncomfortable but at least sleeping. "Are you sure you're going to be alright. What about the twins?"

"Poppy gave them dreamless sleep potion. How bad has it affected Harry?"

"He woke up screaming and his pulse is racing. The thing is, I don't know how long he's been going through this nor how much more he can take?"

"Don't worry Remus, I'll give him something to ease the pain but we will have to keep an eye on his heart rate to make sure it doesn't get too fast." Pomphrey stated as she looked over Harry until he let out another scream in pain. She then noticed that the rest of the kids were waking up from the noise. "I'm going to have to put a silencing charm around his bed so that he doesn't keep everyone else awake."

Remus then went and got the Headmaster, by the time the two of them had returned Sirius was pacing back and forth. He then stopped and directed the two men into the hallway. "I don't like this. He has completely closed himself off and he is not responding to anything. He just sits there all curled up shaking and screaming in pain."

"Well as long as we know he has this pain, we also know that Severus is still alive."

"But Albus, how much longer can he keep up like this?" Remus asked.

"That is up to Harry. In the meantime we have to get Severus away from Voldemort. Does Harry know where he is?"

"All he would tell me is that they were torturing him." Remus stated.

"They? Are you sure you heard him right?" Sirius asked.

"Yes."

"Did he say how many? Maybe it's Voldemort and Lucius you know how they enjoy torturing people."

"I don't think so Siri. When I asked him if it was Voldemort he shook his head."

"That could have just been from the pain. We are going to have to keep an eye on him, whomever is doing this is going to have to stop and rest at some point." Albus continued. "Only then will we have a chance at getting some answers out of him but he will most likely be incoherent and exhausted so show him some patience."

After a few hours the morning light started coming in through the windows when Ann woke up and went over to the men sleeping in chairs. "Morning Dad!" she said a little too loud in his ear.

Sirius jumped from being startled awake. "Morning sweetheart. You look like your feeling better."

"Well I think they went to sleep and left him alone."

"They? You mean there's more than one?" Sirius asked.

"I think there are at least three of them. The curses hit differently each time." Ann replied.

"There are five of them." Harry stated.

"Harry! Welcome back." Sirius said with a smile. "How are you feeling?"

"Tired, sick, I hurt everywhere. How do you expect me to feel?"

"Sorry, bad question. Listen, are you sure there are five of them doing this to your father? Do you recognize any of their voices?"

"Yes, there are five of them. All different voices and different strengths." he then paused and thought for a moment, "No, I don't know any of their voices but I thought nobody joined Voldemort until they were nineteen."

"From what I understand that's correct why would you think otherwise?" Sirius asked.

"They sounded like children that were ganging up on someone. It was as if they thought this as a game."

"Harry, are you sure of what you are saying?" Remus stated as he sat up in his chair.

"I'm sure. It reminded me of when Dudley would have his friends at his parent's house."

"Do you know where he could be?" Sirius asked.

"He was mumbling about four small cells in a dungeon."

"That could be just about anywhere. Almost every manor has a dungeon hidden somewhere. Did he say anything else?" Remus asked.

"He could smell old blood and fish. He said outside his window was an old climbing tree that was slanted."

"Dad?" Ann questioned.

"Not now sweetheart." Sirius said. "Remie, does any of this make any sense to you?"

"Harry, are you sure you heard him right?" Remus asked.

"Yes I'm sure. Can I go to sleep now?"

"But dad?"

"Ann please not now. We have to figure out where your uncle is before this gets any worse." Sirius spat.

Ann then spun around and stormed out of the hospital room slamming the door open so that it hit the wall as she left. Matt quickly jumped up and chased after her. "ANN! Wait up!" But she kept on walking. "Ann!" he said again as he caught up with her. "Where are you going?"

"I need to check on something. Geesh I can't believe he won't even listen to me. Did you see how he just brushed me off like that? Here I think I know where..." Ann ranted until Matt gently grabbed her arm so she'd face him and then kissed her. This time Ann was the one to break the kiss and then looked up at the young man. "Good morning, Sorry about that."

"Don't fret it. Now where were you in a hurry to?"

"Up to my dorm. I have to try to find something. Are you coming?"

"Um, yes. I guess so." Matt said.

The two finally got to Ann's dorm room and Matt stood out in the doorway while Ann pulled her album out from under her bed and stretched out across it. "Now where is that one." She said as she flipped through the pages. "Here it is. Are you coming in or what?"

"Well um."

"Matt, we've known each other for years. You've never been afraid to enter my room before."

"That was before I met your dad and he threatened me." the boy replied.

"Well then keep the door open and nobody can say anything. Now come here, it's just for a moment" She said as she sat up. "Did you hear what Harry was describing?"

"Yes"

"Look at this." She said as she pointed out a photo. They then looked at each other and she smiled as she pulled the photo out of the book. "Let’s go." The two ran all the way back to the hospital room and almost ran into the others except Harry who had gone back to sleep as they were leaving. "Jamie, is dad still in there?"

"No, he went up to the Headmaster's office."

"Follow me." They then ran to Dumbledore's office but stopped when they reached the gargoyle. "What is the password? Matt name some sweets."

"What?"

"Just do it. Gummy bears."

"Reese's Peanut Butter Cups"

"Licorice whips"

"Sugar Daddies"

"Chuckles" then the gargoyle moved and they ran up the stairs and barged in the door. "Dad look."

Remus, Sirius, and Albus were sitting looking at maps of Wizarding communities that had lakes or were along the ocean when Sirius shouted. "Ann. I said not now. Can't you see we're very busy?"

"Dammit Dad. If you would listen. I know where Uncle Sev is!" Ann yelled as she threw the photo on top of the map then stood in front of him with her arms folded in a Snape-like manner.

Remus picked up the photo as Sirius then jumped up knocking his chair onto the ground and turned towards the girl "Ann Marie! How dare you talk to me like that. I told you how many times that we are busy. If you cannot under..."

"Sirius! Calm down right now. She is right, she found what Harry said." Remus interrupted. "Look for yourself." He continued as he handed the photo over to his friend.

Sirius looked closely at the photo of three toddlers playing ball in a backyard then one of them with his butt in the air trying to go after it as it disappeared into a bared window along the ground. He then noticed the tree behind the younger version of his children laughing at the youngest of the three kids. "Remus, I hate to tell you but the house was destroyed the night they died."

"That may be so but what about the dungeons underneath it. There were a good 3 levels of them under the house. Besides if I remember right wasn't that the tree you hated so much?"

"I suppose it is. When do you want to leave?"

"How about after dinner tonight?" Remus suggested and Sirius agreed. "Albus, I know all the other students will be going home for the holiday but as for the boys...I know Dannie can handle the girls but I don't want to stick her with all the boys as well."

"They can sleep in their dorm room while you are gone. I'll have someone keep an eye on them." Albus said as he noticed Sirius stretch and Remus tries to hide a yawn. "You two have had your hands full with the kids in the hospital all night. Why don't you go get some rest before you set off on the trip."

"Still playing at being a parent to us aren't you?" Sirius jokingly said.

"Of coarse I have known you most of your lives, just like the rest of the children who pass through here. You will always be my kids."

"As you wish pops. I'm going to stop and check in on Harry first." Sirius said as he turned to leave. On his way down to the infirmary he ran into Bria.

"Have you seen my dad and Harry?"

"Well your dad is probably with the Headmaster still but I'm on my way to see Harry in the infirmary."

"Infirmary? It didn't have anything to do with his dad, did it?"

"I'm afraid so. Your dad brought him here during the middle of the night and it looks like it has finally stopped for the time being."

"They are going to be alright aren't they?" she asked.

"I hope so." He said as they entered the room. "Harry, wake up you have a visitor."

Bria sat down in the chair next to the bed and took Harry's hand in hers. Harry slowly opened his eyes and looked at her, "Good morning." He said smiling.

"Morning. I heard what happened last night. Your uncle told me what happened last night. When do you think you can escape this place?"

"The sooner the better. They don't let anyone sleep around here. Between the people visiting and then all the poking and prodding they do I don't know how anyone can get well." He said as he sat up hanging his legs over the side of the bed.

"You mean like this?" She said as she started poking him on both sides of his rib cages with her fingers. Harry started squirming from being tickled so to get her to stop he grabbed her wrists and moved them up behind his neck then wrapped his arms around her waist to pull her in for a kiss.

Just then Remus entered the room. "Well I'm glad to see that you are starting to feel better." Out of frustration Bria accidentally let out a small growl from the back of her throat. "Am I mistaken or did you just growl at me young lady?"

"No you're not mistaken. You interrupted us." She said.

Remus then turned to Sirius, "And you were going to just stand there? Wait a second, look who I half expected to stop you two."

"Um, is there a reason you guys stopped by?" Harry asked changing the subject.

"Matter of fact there is." Sirius said as he pulled up a chair. "I just wanted to let you know that I am sorry for leaving your father alone yesterday and thanks to Ann Marie, we believe we know where he is."

"Where is he? Can I go with? When are we leaving?"

"He's being held at Godrics Hallow and Remus and I plan on leaving right after dinner."

"Can I go with?" Harry asked again.

"Harry, after last night's episode we cannot risk that happening while we are doing this." Sirius said.

"But..."

"No buts Harry. It will just be the two of us." Remus said and Harry pouted.

"Harry, I promise I will not come back without him. Do you understand that?" Sirius stated.

"Now one last thing. While we are gone and you get out of here, we had to have your things moved back to your dorm room. We need to keep you boys together.

"Yes sir. But who's going to be the Head of House while dad is gone?"

"I'm not sure but Dumbledore said he would have someone for you boys."

Sirius then dragged Remus out of the room leaving the kids alone so that they could get ready for their journey that night.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please Review


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=667