Consequences of the Truth by fairylights
Summary: A response to Severitus' challenge, Finished!
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Ginny, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 32 Completed: Yes Word count: 100382 Read: 152710 Published: 28 Jan 2005 Updated: 05 Nov 2005
Pop Goes the Potion by fairylights
Author's Notes:
I only wish I owned them, but I don't, so don't sue me!

The fire slowly burned down to embers as Harry, Ron, and Ginny waited for Hermione to return. Neville had long since gone to bed, frustrated at not getting any answers out of the trio. All three looked up in anticipation as the door swung open and Hermione climbed through the portrait hole.

"What was that all about then?" Ron asked, stretching in his chair.

"Professor McGonagall is checking over my idea, we should know tomorrow whether or not it's usable," Hermione said as she stumbled tiredly over to them.

Harry leaned forward as Hermione sat down. "But, what, exactly, did you think up when you ran out of here?"

"You know how we've all found bits and pieces of spells that seem to do parts of what we want, but none seems to do the whole job? I've been thinking for awhile now that we might need to link some of those spells together, but I just couldn't make it work. That's what's been so frustrating. When I saw Neville walking backward and upside down, it hit me that we've been going about this wrong. Maybe we need to link things back from the end instead of starting at the beginning! So I ran back to the professor's office to ask her if it was possible. We've been going over the spells that we all found and linking them together. Tomorrow we're going to try it out on some owls to see if it works."

"What do you mean, 'starting at the end'," Ginny asked, a puzzled look on her face.

"Instead of trying to find the first spell in the line, we worked back from the spell that would logically be last. In this case, the one that modified the change from permanent to long term. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier! Anyway, McGonagall wants us in her office after class tomorrow to try it. Look at the time! We'd better get to bed or we wont' be ready for classes in the morning!"

The four friends rose and headed off to their respective dorms, yawning and stretching as they went. Ron's brow puckered in puzzlement as he looked over to say 'good-night' to Ginny and Hermione.

"Erm, Ginny, why do you have Harry's shoes?"

Ginny blushed bright red as she looked down at the large black shoes in her hands. Harry rose from the floor next to the chair he'd been sitting in and walked over to Ginny with his hands out and a slightly frustrated look on his face.

"I'll take those please!"

Ginny just looked at him, cheeks still pink, trying to gauge whether he would be wandering later.

Harry tugged a bit on the shoes, but Ginny only held them tighter.

"Ginny, give Harry his shoes!" Ron was astonished at his sister's behavior.

"Gin, I promise," Harry said, as he tugged once again on his shoes.

Ginny gave him one last, long look, and then let go of the shoes. Turning quickly she strode off to the girl's door without looking back. Hermione grinned at the boys as she closed the door behind Ginny. She'd obviously enjoyed the whole scene!

Harry turned slowly to look at Ron, who was staring fixedly at the doorway his sister had just gone through.

"I just don't know what's gotten into her, mate," he said, slowly shaking his head.

"It's ok Ron." Harry opened the door to their side of the tower and held it as Ron went by.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To his surprise, Harry managed to sleep fairly well after Hermione's news. The long hours of studying, research, and the odd quidditch practice had worn him out.

As they entered the great room for breakfast the next morning, Harry noticed in passing that there was an empty chair at the head table. He wasn't awake enough to dwell on that fact, and meandered slowly over to the Gryffindor table, joining Neville and Ginny.

"Where's Hermione?" he said, looking down the table for her as he reached for the pumpkin juice.

"She's been and gone," Ginny replied as she grabbed some toast. "Said something about homework she needs to catch up on."

"Homework?" Harry had a slightly worried look on his face. Now what had he forgotten?

"Where's Ron?" Neville asked through a mouthful of oatmeal.

"Just getting up when I left. I imagine he'll slide in just before classes." Harry stirred some butter into his oatmeal and started eating.

"Harry," Ginny leaned forward as she whispered to him. Harry raised an eyebrow at her and continued eating. "Have you noticed a teacher's missing?"

Harry looked again at the head table, remembering that he'd noticed an empty chair. He was surprised to find that Professor Snape was the owner of the empty chair.

"Move over a bit Harry, I've not got much time before classes if I'm going to eat anything." Ron was standing behind Harry, looking hungrily at the food on the table.

Harry moved down the table considering the absence of Professor Snape. What could have made him late? Maybe he was sick? Surely Dumbledore would have said something.

Just then Professor Dumbledore rose from his seat and tapped on his glass to gain everyone's attention.

"Attention please. I have an important announcement to make. Professor Snape will be unable to take his classes today. You will have a substitute teacher." This announcement was met with absolute silence as the students processed the idea of a Snapeless day, and then the room erupted in muffled cheers. Harry looked intently at Dumbledore, trying to catch his eye. Dumbledore looked back at him with a grave expression.

"I say that is good luck!" Ron exclaimed, impervious to the glare that Ginny was giving him. "Maybe we'll make it through potions without getting any points deducted owww! Ginny!"

"Shut up Ron," Ginny hissed sharply, looking at Harry.

"Oh, sorry about that Harry, it's just, well," Ron stuttered to a stop.

"I know. But it's just so unlike him to not be in class. Dumbledore didn't say what was wrong either." Harry stared at the table as he thought. "I'm going to talk to Dumbledore, I'll catch up later Ron."

Harry walked quickly to the head table, hoping to catch the head master before he left. Dumbledore was just rising as Harry reached him.

"Excuse me, Professor, could I please speak with you a moment?"

"Certainly Mr. Potter, come along." Dumbledore led the way to a small room behind the great hall. Harry watched as the head master closed the door behind them.

"Sir, what's the matter with Professor Snape?" Harry asked.

"Harry, I am sorry, but all I can tell you is that he is in the infirmary, and Madame Pomphrey is giving him the best of care," Dumbledore replied, gazing intently at Harry.

"But sir, what's wrong with him?" Harry tried again to get a straight answer from the headmaster.

"I can't tell you that Harry."

"Can I go see him then?" Harry asked, confused at Dumbledore's general unhelpfulness.

"That would not be a good idea. Think Harry, if word got back to Voldemort that you were visiting Professor Snape while he was ill, it could be disastrous."

"But sir!"

"Harry, I know you are concerned about your father, but you will just have to wait until he is better to see him. This is for his safety as well as yours. Now you'd best get to class." Dumbledore opened the door for Harry and escorted him to the end of the hallway.

Harry walked to the potions dungeon, considering what he had been told. What was going on? He reached the classroom door to find a mass of people standing before it. Both Slytherins and Gryffindors were standing in the hall, waiting for the door to open. Harry joined Hermione and Ron.

"What'd the Headmaster say?" Hermione asked, shifting her books from one arm to the other.

"He's in the infirmary. He wouldn't tell me why, and I can't go visit him." Harry said miserably.

"That makes sense, Harry, after all, you-know-who might get suspicious if you visit him there. There's bound to be a Slytherin or two who would sneak in at just the wrong. . ." Hermione's voice petered out as she noticed Draco Malfoy watching them.

"There has to be some safe way for me to get in there." Harry said.

Ron looked at him disbelievingly. "Harry, are you sure you're awake? You've got the cloak and the map. Who's going to catch you?"

"I know, but I was hoping to get some answers before tonight!" Harry continued. "I'll think of something."

Just then the door opened and the students swirled into the classroom. As they took their normal seats, they noticed that there was no one standing behind the counter at the front of the classroom. A muffled exclamation coming from the storage room explained the absence of a teacher. Harry, Ron and Hermione exchanged looks, clearly wondering about the identity of their substitute.

Every jaw in the classroom dropped as the very unexpected figure of the headmaster walked through the storage room doorway!

"My, you all look surprised to see me here," Dumbledore said with a twinkle in his eye. "You may not realize it, but I do have some knowledge of potions, and Professor Snape has left excellent plans for this class. Let's get started, shall we? You will need to get the ingredients listed on the board from the supplies table, and then follow the directions exactly as written." Dumbledore settled himself behind the desk as the students quietly gathered their supplies and returned to their tables.

Harry couldn't help but notice that even the Slytherins seemed on their best behavior with the headmaster minding the class. Strangely enough, Neville seemed to be doing well; for once his cauldron didn't seem likely to explode. He wondered idly how many times Neville'd been sent to the infirmary after a cauldron exploded. His eyes widened in astonishment as that thought set off another chain of possibilities.

"Hermione," Harry leaned over Ron to whisper.

"Not now Harry!"

"How do I make my potion explode!" Harry whispered again, ignoring Hermione's command.

"Are you insane? Why would you want to ruin your potion?" Hermione exclaimed, while Ron just stared at Harry.

"Just tell me!"

"But Harry. . . "

"Just tell him, Hermione." Ron interrupted. "Mind you, I think it's one of the craziest ideas I've ever heard, but it may just work."

Hermione stared at them, baffled.

"Hermione, what will happen if his potion explodes?" Ron asked patiently.

"He'll get a failing grade of course. . .oh!" Hermione said, light dawning in her eyes. "But Harry, are you sure?"

"Have you got any better ideas?" Harry asked hopefully.

Ron and Hermione considered for a few seconds, and then shook their heads.

"Alright, I think all you need to do is add the newt skins in a group and then stir it briskly counter-clockwise instead of clockwise. I'm not sure what it'll do to you though, Harry, it could be really nasty." Hermione looked concerned at the possible side effects of getting doused by Harry's potion.

"Make sure you get under the table when I tell you," Harry said, grabbing his newt skins and tossing them in the cauldron. Hermione and Ron watched as Harry vigorously stirred he concoction. The cauldron began to vibrate, and the potion to send off sickly green smoke.

"Get ready." Harry continued stirring and watching his potion become more and more unstable. "Now!"

Ron and Hermione ducked under the table as the cauldron exploded with a loud bang, showering Harry and the floor around him with apple green goo.

"Harry, what happened?" Headmaster Dumbledore asked as he carefully avoided the puddles splattered here and there around the table.

"I must have done something wrong, sir." Harry said, hanging his head and hoping to be sent to the infirmary. Nothing seemed to have happened so far.

"I see." Dumbledore stared directly at Harry's eyes, and did indeed seem to see exactly what was going on. "You don't look any the worse for wear, but perhaps you should go see Madame Pomphrey, just to be sure."

"Yes sir." Harry headed for the door, trying not to look too happy.

"Oh, and Harry, you will need to make this class up. Perhaps when Professor Snape is back."

"Yes sir." Harry slipped through the door and closed it behind him.

He hurried through the corridors intent on his destination, and not noticing the puzzled looks coming his way.

"Harry, what happened to you?" someone said behind him.

He turned around to see Ginny and Colin Creevy standing there, watching him in surprise. Luckily, Colin didn't have his camera with him!

"My cauldron exploded." Harry explained, looking at the floor.

"That's awful Harry!" Colin exclaimed. Ginny just looked intently at him. She finally gave a nod and said "C'mon Colin, we'll be late for charms."

Obviously Ginny had figured out his plan, Harry thought as he turned the corner and reached the infirmary. He slowly pushed the door open and peered in. Madam Pomphrey was nowhere in sight, and with the exception of one screen off bed, the seemed empty. Harry slowly crept into the room, checking to be sure that the school nurse wasn't lurking just out of sight. He made it to the screens without being seen, and reaching forward, slowly slid behind them.

Harry was shocked when he turned to see a long figure swathed in bandages snuggly tucked into the bed. The figure was so covered in bandages that the only recognizable feature to be seen was the long, greasy, black hair that flowed out of the top of the bandages and down the pillow.

Harry slowly sank down in the chair next to the bed, unable to believe what he was seeing.

The End.
End Notes:
Thanks and Hugs to all of you who have been so kind as to review! Huge hugs and kisses to my wonderful editor, Burt!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=74