Consequences of the Truth by fairylights
Summary: A response to Severitus' challenge, Finished!
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Ginny, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 32 Completed: Yes Word count: 100382 Read: 152719 Published: 28 Jan 2005 Updated: 05 Nov 2005
Blast From the Past by fairylights

“Minerva, perhaps you’d be good enough to contact the Burrow and find out when it would be convenient for us to visit this evening?” The Headmaster queried.

“Certainly sir, if you’ll excuse me, I’ll go attend to that.”

“Now, Remus, it seems to me that you mentioned another item that needed attention?”

“Yes sir. I am not really sure how to start this, except to say that I would have checked on Harry on my way to Hogwarts whether you asked me to or not. You see, I got quite a shocking letter about a month ago.” Remus paused to gather his thoughts.

“Well, get on with it then, werewolf, I do have other things to do today than listen to your private life.” Severus barked, out of patience with the amount of time it was taking Lupin to come to the point.

“Actually, the letter concerned your private life, Severus.”

“WHAT!!”

“The letter was from Lily, and was dated to be delivered on Harry’s fifteenth birthday. It also included a letter to you, and one to Professor Dumbledore. Lily obviously hoped they’d never have to be delivered, but she stuck me with the task of telling you what she and James had done.”

“I know what they did Lupin. I hardly need to be reminded by you!

“Severus, for once in your life sit down and let someone enlighten you!” Remus growled at the irate man, finally losing his hard-won patience. “What you think you know and what actually happened are two different things. Lily told me in her letter that she found out she was pregnant after you left for the October Massacre. She waited through the middle of November for you to return, and then received word that you had been killed.”

“I know all that Werewolf. I also know that your precious friend couldn’t wait until my grave was filled in to move in on my wife! In fact, he couldn’t wait until I was dead before he moved in on Lily!

“Be quiet before I curse you into silence! Excuse me Headmaster.”

“Forgiven Remus, but you’d better get to the point before Severus explodes.”

“Yes Sir. When she found she was pregnant, and thought you were dead, Lily went to James. They decided the safest thing for Lily and the baby was for James to marry her and pretend the baby was his.”

“What do you mean pretend, all anyone has to do is look at Harry and they know who his father is. He looks just like James did!” Severus exclaimed.

“Think if you can, what was Lily’s best subject?”

“Charms.” Both Dumbledore and Snape said together.

“Exactly. She and James found an obscure charm to hide the baby’s true looks and make him look like James. They had agreed to remove it once Voldemort was defeated. Unfortunately, we know that didn’t happen. Apparently this spell is not permanent either. Lily figured out that it would begin to decay around the time Harry turned 15. Luckily it’s not an overnight transformation, he should just gradually change over the next few months.”

“Lupin, are you trying to tell me that Harry Potter is my son, not James?” Severus uttered with a shocked look.

“Yes, that’s what I’m telling you! When I saw Harry at the Dursley’s house, I was shocked at just how much he had changed in the month since his birthday. His hair is still black, and his eyes are still green, but the shape of his face and the length of his hair are totally different. He looks remarkably like a Snape.”

Silence reigned supreme in the Headmaster’s office while they assimilated what had been revealed.

“I believe you said that there was a letter for me also?” Dumbledore queried.

“Yes sir, here it is. And yours Snape.”

“Hmmm. James confirms everything that you have revealed to us, of course. He goes further though, and requests that if Sirius is unable to care for Harry, that he be placed with you, Remus. He feared what the Dursley’s would do to him. I wonder why they didn’t charm this letter to be delivered earlier?” Dumbledore paused, looking intently at his potions master.

“Severus”

“Hmph” Snape growled.

“Are you going to read your letter?”

“I would prefer to read it in private.”

“Yes, of course. If you want to talk, I should be here the rest of the afternoon. I will let you know what time we will be leaving for the Weasley’s. Until then, gentlemen.”

Both professors stood to leave the headmaster’s office. Remus kept shooting concerned looks at his fellow professor as they went into the hallway.

“So, Severus, what are you going to tell your son?”

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=74