Consequences of the Truth by fairylights
Summary: A response to Severitus' challenge, Finished!
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Ginny, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 32 Completed: Yes Word count: 100382 Read: 152726 Published: 28 Jan 2005 Updated: 05 Nov 2005
Mistletoe Madness by fairylights
Author's Notes:

Hope you enjoy this one. It's been a tough one to write for some reason. Only a few more chapters to go.it's been a long ride!

Character's thoughts are between the ~'s~

The week following the ball was quiet, a welcome change from the hustle and bustle of preparing for classes and the ball. It hadn't taken the professors very long to figure out that Fred and George were the culprits behind the explosion of the buffet table, and the two spent many hours doing tasks around the castle, in addition to the hours they spent manually scraping canapés off the walls of the Great Hall. The teachers seemed to feel that having to clean the room in the muggle way was a fitting punishment.

Tuesday the students going home for Christmas had boarded the Hogwarts Express, leaving the school to the handful of students that were remaining behind. Of course Harry was staying, he really had no place else to go, and as usual Hermione and the Weasleys were staying too. For once all the Slytherins would be out from under foot, as well as all the Hufflepuffs. In fact, other than one Ravenclaw first year, they would be the only students celebrating the holidays at school.

The six Gryffindors had spent the last few days before Christmas wrapping and sending off packages to their homes, and playing many games of wizarding chess and snap. Leaden clouds had dropped several inches of snow the day before Christmas Eve, and they had all enjoyed a vigorous snowball fight. They'd been a bit surprised when Professor Lupin and Madam Hooch had joined them, but had quickly found that they were wonderful tacticians, and they had added to the fun of the game!

Harry leaned his head against the cold glass of the window next to his bed, watching Fred and George build a strangely shaped snow man. He sat on the window seat, eyes fixed unblinkingly on the yard, thinking once again about the conversation he'd overheard between Lupin and his father the night of the ball. His thoughts had returned there whenever he'd had a free minute the last several days. The more he thought about it, the more sure he was that he would much rather miss a parent he knew than regret having not known him while he had the chance. Once he'd reached that conclusion, the problem became how to get Snape to change his mind.

"Oy! Harry!" Harry jerked in surprise at the sound of Ron's voice next to him.

"Sorry Ron, just thinking." Harry stretched his stiff muscles, wondering how long he'd sat there thinking. He glanced out the window to see what shape the twin's snowman had finally taken, and blinked in astonishment. Surely he hadn't been there that long! Where there was once only one strangely shaped white object, there were now five identical in a row. All five were a washed out shade of lavender, with barely detectable glimmers of sparkle shining in them.

"Ron, what time is it?"

"Just about time for dinner Harry, why?" "Then I've been sitting here for about an hour. Fred and George must have really worked hard to make those snowmen so fast, last time I looked they didn't even have one finished."

Ron looked out the window, watching the twins step back from their work. They looked at each shape, talked for a moment, and then retreated to the other side of the yard. "Wonder what they're up to.almost looks like they're afraid of what they created!"

The boys watched with interest as the twins hunted around on the ground for something, scuffing the snow out of the way with their shoes. Every so often one or the other would pause, bend over, and pick something up off the ground.

"Can you see what they're doing?" Harry really couldn't imagine what they were up to now.

"Almost looks like they're looking for pebbles or something. You don't think they went to all that trouble just for a bit of target practice!" Ron's face was so close to the glass that his breath was making little fog spots on the window.

Fred and George had apparently found what they were looking for; they stopped hunting for things on the ground, conferred for a minute, and then stood side by side facing the snowmen they'd constructed. George cocked his arm behind his head, and with a smooth motion sent something flying through the air toward one of the objects. There was a muffled "whump" and the sight of snow spraying through the air as one of snowmen exploded with an impressive amount of violence.

"Bloody hell, what was that?" Ron's face slowly drained of color as he thought of the mischief the twins could get into with a creation like the one they'd just seen.

"I don't know, Ron, but it was impressive." Both boys watched as Fred, using the same motion George had, sent a second figure into a shower of snow. They continued watching as every single one of the figures exploded when hit by whatever the twins were throwing. The light was waning as they watched the twins shake hands, brush the snow off their caps, and head toward the main door.

"I suppose we should go to dinner..and after dinner I'm going to corner those two and find out what in the world they are up to!" Ron had a look of grim determination on his face as they headed down the stairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry looked surreptitiously down the table toward where Snape was sitting. With so few people remaining in the castle, the Headmaster had insisted on seating everyone around one table. The students tended to huddle around one end of the table, leaving the adults to confer quietly at the other. The quiet at the table had allowed Harry to return to wondering how to broach the subject of Snape's and his relationship to his father. He did notice that Ron kept shooting frustrated glances at the twins, who were seated directly across from him, and who were managing to ignore him very easily. Harry sighed, looking down at his empty plate. He didn't seem to be getting any closer to a solution.

"Coming mate?" Ron's voice broke into Harry's thoughts.

"Yeah, I'm done." Harry rose to follow Ron from the room.

"Mr. Potter, a moment of your time please?" Professor Dumbledore had also stood up, and was preparing to leave.

Harry exchanged a quick look with Ron, before nodding and following Dumbledore from the room.

"Your owl and Fawkes have gotten along very well, Harry," Dumbledore said as the two of them made there way to Dumbledore's office. "In fact, I think Fawkes is going to be lonely when he leaves. I'll have to talk with Professor Snape about letting them visit sometimes."

Somehow Harry couldn't imagine Snape setting up play dates for his owl. The idea was too ludicrous! The black owl's cage was sitting in the middle of the headmaster's desk. Fawkes was also on the desk, crouched down on a pile of papers and crooning gently into the cage. The owl was leaning toward the phoenix, hooting back softly. They looked for all the world like two neighbors gossiping over their backyard fences, and Harry couldn't help the little snort of laughter that escaped from him.

Both birds turned to gaze at the newcomers, the phoenix rose and flew to Dumbledore's shoulder, while the owl glared at Harry.

"You should take him back to your room and wrap the cage up, Harry. The house elves will deliver it to your father tonight, so you don't have to worry about that!" Dumbledore's eyes twinkled as if he found the thought of Harry trying to sneak down to the dungeons with a large birdcage in hand humorous.

"Yes sir." Harry approached the cage with trepidation, and was rewarded with the owl lunging toward his hand and clacking his beak at him. "Sir, what if Professor Snape is in the hallway while I go back?"

"Why don't you use the interschool floo? It's primarily for the teachers, but I believe this is an appropriate use of it. You do know how to use floo powder, don't you Harry?" Dumbledore led the way to the fireplace, and took an ornately carved ivory chest off the mantle.

"Yes sir." Harry helped himself to a handful of the powder inside, and stepped toward the fire, gripping the birdcage in his free hand. He stepped to the fire, threw in the powder, and said "Gryffindor Tower" in a loud clear voice. As he spun around, he could hear the owl shrieking at the top of its lungs in ire. The world slowed down, and he put the hand not holding the owl out to hold himself so he didn't fall down.

"What in the world is that noise?" George was looking around for the source of the loud screeching that had suddenly burst full volume into the room.

"It's that bloody bird again!" Ron had put his hands over his ears, and was watching Harry climb out of the fireplace with a resigned expression on his face.

"Sorry about that, but I have to wrap him." Harry set the cage down in the middle a table near the fireplace, and backed away from it.

"I wish you all the luck in the world mate, but I wouldn't have that job if you paid me a million galleons!" Fred collected the chess pieces and started toward the door to the bedrooms.

"You might want to leave him here tonight, the house elves will deliver him, and he won't keep us awake." George left the room too.

Harry regarded the bird apprehensively. "Ron, what do you reckon the best way to wrap him is?"

"Wrap him? Why don't you just drown the bloody thing and put us out of misery!" The owl glared at Ron malevolently, giving the impression that it had understood his words. "Just kidding mate."

"I don't think he likes you, Ron" Ginny's voice came from the doorway. She and Hermione had just entered the room, and were watching the interplay between the two boys and the owl with amusement.

"Try regular wrapping paper, Harry, you never know, it might work!" The huge grin on Hermione's face indicated how seriously she thought it would work.

Harry shrugged his shoulders and headed for the stairs, saying "Might as well, I don't have any better ideas."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Severus was sitting at the desk in his private rooms, contemplating the stack of letters in front of him. He had spent the week re-reading the letters that Lily had sent to him while they were at Hogwarts, and afterward. It had been a hard task, but he'd managed to select the ones that he thought might interest, amuse, or give Harry some insight into his mother's personality and conjured copies of them. The thought that Harry had never had the opportunity to know Lily, to know not only what an intelligent and inquisitive person she was, but how her sense of humor and the ridiculous added just the right touch to any situation bothered Snape. Bothered him for reasons he couldn't quite place, and didn't really want to examine now.

There was a second, much smaller pile next to his right elbow. Severus picked it up and began flipping through the pile of pictures, stopping occasionally to smile at what he saw. There was the one Remus Lupin took of Lilly and him on their wedding day. They both looked so happy. And so young! So very young. Looking more closely at the picture in his hands, Severus could see even more clearly how much Harry looked like him. It was amazing that so far no one had picked up on their resemblance; Harry would be in even more danger when someone noticed it. He was afraid it was only a matter of time. He put the pictures back down with a sigh, and reached for a blank piece of parchment in his desk.

When Dumbledore had reminded him last week that he should be giving a Christmas present to Harry, he had been able to say truthfully that he had already considered that. The problem was thinking of something that would be a fitting present. One that was appreciated. Unfortunately, every thought he'd had seemed wrong. Harry already had a top of the line broomstick, and he didn't need another one. The set of exotic potion ingredients had seemed promising, but Severus had realized that Harry might not find that as interesting as he did. Long evenings of thought had brought nothing to mind until his conversation with Lupin at the ball last week. Severus might not be willing to let himself get close to Harry, but it was important that Lily was not forgotten. She had been such an incredible woman. The only woman for him. He looked down at the blank parchment, wondering what to write. Long minutes passed as he looked into the distance, his quill tapping against his lips. He nodded absently as a thought struck him, put quill to parchment, and began writing. For several minutes, the only sound in the room was the dry scritch of the quill. Finished at last, he paused to re-read the letter of explanation he'd written, folded it, and placed it and the pictures and letters into an intricately carved wooden chest. The top of the chest was emblazoned with the Snape family crest. Severus waved his wand over the top of it, intoning the concealing and locking incantations in a sonorous voice. That should do it!

He looked at the now plain box in satisfaction. No one but Harry should be able to unlock the hidden qualities of the box. Now to wrap it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry sighed in frustration, pushing the black hair out of his eyes. There were several large piles of shredded wrapping paper spread throughout the common room, and the owl was still sitting in his cage, glaring malevolently at them through the bars, no closer to being wrapped than he was an hour and a half ago when they started. Ginny, Ron, and Hermione were lounging in chairs glaring at the bird as they cudgeled their brains for a way to wrap the cage and the bird without it tearing the paper to shreds. Hermione had even tried a body bind spell on the silly thing, and it had managed to dodge her three times before she gave up.

"Harry," Ginny was leaning forward, looking at the owl with an intent look on her face. "What did that witch at the owl store tell you the owl needed?"

"What do you mean Gin?" Harry's brow furrowed as he thought back to that day.

"She told you that he needed a certain type of owner, do you remember exactly what she said?" Ginny had gotten up to walk toward the cage. The owl watched her suspiciously as she approached it.

"Uhm..she said he needed someone with a strong personality." Harry wasn't sure where Ginny was going with this.

"She said something else too, though. Do you remember what she said?"

Harry thought for a moment. "He needed someone who would be able to win his trust and love."

"I thought so." Ginny smiled with satisfaction as she sat down next to Hermione on one of the couches. "We've been going about this the wrong way. I think that bird is much more intelligent than we've given it credit for."

"I never said he was dumb, Ginny, just cranky!" Ron couldn't see where Ginny was going with her point.

"Hermione, Crookshanks is a pretty smart cat, when you want him to do something, what do you do?" Ginny turned on the couch to look at Hermione as she talked.

Hermione frowned slightly as she considered Ginny's question. "Well, I explain the situation to him, and ask him to do..Oh! I see what you're saying!" She got up and walked toward the owl cage.

"Harry, why don't you try telling it why you want to put paper on the cage and ask it to sit quietly in its cage tonight! You might be surprised how well that works!"

Harry looked at Hermione and Ginny in disbelief. Explain to the ruddy bird what he wanted to do, and why?

"We've tried everything else I can think of, mate, why don't you try it." Ron was slumped in his chair, looking exhausted.

"I guess so." Harry walked to the cage, watching the owl fluff its feathers and clack its beak menacingly. "Look, I know you don't want to have a cover on your cage, but I need you to. You are a present for my Father, the first one I've ever had the chance to give him, and I want it to be perfect. I think you'll like him, he's sort of surly too, but he'll give you a good home. Anyway, for this to work, I need to wrap your cage in paper, and I need you to be quiet until he takes the paper off tomorrow morning. Can you do that?" Harry felt slightly silly talking to the bird, but noticed that it seemed to be listening intently to him, his head slightly cocked and eyes intent.

"Let's try it again." Ginny had found some dark green paper, and slowly approached the cage. The owl eyed her suspiciously, but sat quietly on its perch. "This looks promising." Ginny started to wrap the paper around one side of the cage, stopping immediately when the owl let out a loud screech. The paper fell to the floor unscathed, and the owl glared at Ginny. Surprisingly, it turned to look at Harry, ruffled its feathers, and blinked peacefully at him.

"Uhm, Harry?" Hermione was leaning toward the cage, a look of utter fascination on her face.

"Yeah Herm?" Harry was watching the bird carefully, waiting to see what it did next.

"I think he wants you to wrap the cage."

"I don't know where you got that impression, but it is my gift, so I suppose I should make the attempt." Harry slowly approached the cage, reaching out a hand to snag the wrapping paper. He slowly inched it around the cage, waiting for the owl to either pounce or shriek at him. Nothing! He shot a quick glance of surprise at his friends, and continued slowly working his way around the cage. Done! And not a sound from the cage! He quickly affixed a bow to the top of the bulky package, found the note he'd written previously half concealed under one of the piles of torn paper, and stuck it next to the bow. Finally! He leaned toward the wrapped cage, saying "Thank you" to the owl.

"Ginny, how did you come up with that idea," Ron asked curiously.

"I've been watching Hermione deal with her cat for the last few months, and it seemed obvious to me that the owl is pretty smart. I thought that her tactic for dealing with Crookshanks might work with the owl too." Ginny yawned and stretched. "I'm tired; I think I'll go to bed. See you in the morning!"

"Wait for me, Ginny." Hermione walked sleepily toward the door to their rooms.

"Wait, what about this mess?" Harry looked at the paper strewn everywhere.

"It won't take you long to clean it up, have Ron show you some quick pick- up spells. Mum taught them to us at home." Ginny waved goodnight as she disappeared through the door.

It only took Ron and Harry a few minutes to tidy away the paper thanks to the spell that Ron showed him. Harry stopped on the way to bed to admire the messily wrapped package sitting quietly on the table. Not a bad job!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Christmas morning dawned bright and sunny. The sun had barely begun to peek through the curtains when Ron woke Harry with a loud yell of surprise. Harry shot up in his bed and poked his head out of the curtains to see what was going on.

"I'm going to kill them!" Ron was sitting on the edge of his bed, hair soaking wet and plastered against his head.

"What happened?" Harry was trying in vain to not laugh.

"You can laugh mate, your daft brothers didn't drop a water balloon on you at daybreak!" Ron's face was red with indignation.

"Are you sure it was them? Peeves would do something like that too." Harry tried to be fair-minded, but had to admit it was likely the twins were the culprits.

"Not a doubt, they did this to me the last Christmas I was home!" Ron shook his head in disgust, spraying water everywhere. "Well, we're awake; we might as well see what presents we have."

Harry looked at the presents clustered at the bottom of his bed. He could hear Ron diving into his, the paper being ripped off with enthusiasm. Harry liked to spend a few minutes just looking at his. It reminded him of the many years when he'd had no presents, and how wonderful it was to have people who cared about him.

"Aren't you finished yet, mate?" Ron was looking at him quizzically from where he sat surrounded by opened presents.

"No, haven't even started."

"What are you waiting for, them to open themselves?" Ron didn't understand how Harry could just sit and look at the presents.

Harry smiled and began opening. He received the usual assortment of candies, books, and broom care items from his friends, and the hand knit, green sweater from Mrs. Weasley. There was one package remaining. It was a neatly wrapped, square shaped object that didn't rattle when he shook it curiously.

Ron had hopped on Harry's bed by now, and was watching with interest as he opened his presents. "Who's it from?"

Harry looked at the tag. It wasn't signed with a name, but written in purple ink were the words 'Scolopendra Reperire'.

"This has to be from Professor Snape." Harry grabbed his wand off the bed table and unwrapped the paper. He tapped the top of the box once and said "Scolopendra reperire", and watched in amazement as the top of the box wavered, and was revealed as it truly was.

"Harry, that's incredible." Ron looked at the crest on the lid of the box, thinking it was a very impressive present. "Is there anything in it?"

Harry lifted the catch on the side of the box, and slowly opened the lid, not sure what to expect. He looked inside, and lifted a folded piece of parchment from the top of the pile of papers. It was a letter written in the same purple ink as the tag on the outside, and the signature was indeed Snape's.

"What does it say, Harry?"

Harry took a deep breath, polished his glasses on his pajama top, and began to read.

"Dear Harry, It occurred to me that you have had very little chance to know what your mother was really like. I'm sure you've heard some stories about her from others, but that doesn't compare to memories you should have had the opportunity to build as you grew up. Within this box you will find copies of letters that Lily wrote to me. I hope that they will give you a glimpse into what she truly was, a woman of great warmth and humor. I have also tucked in some pictures. These items are yours to keep.

Fondly, Severus Snape.

-The box is charmed to conceal its true nature when the lid is closed. To open it, repeat the phrase sent with it."

Harry stared in disbelief at the pile of letters and photographs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Severus slowly woke up, gradually becoming aware of the light sifting through the curtains of his bedroom. ~ Another Christmas.~ Not that there was ever much to celebrate, he though grumpily as he left the bedroom and walked toward the magic teapot on his desk. He tapped it to begin the brewing process, and was walking back toward the bedroom when a small pile of brightly wrapped packages on the floor by the door caught his attention. He wasn't surprised to see presents from Dumbledore and McGonagall, but the large, poorly wrapped one was a surprise. He leaned over it, taking in the loud red and gold paper and the big red bow. Gryffindor colours. He reached for the parchment on the front and gently detached it, wondering if the Weasley twins had the gall to send him a Christmas present after the pranks they had pulled lately. Surely not even they would be so brash! He unfolded it and began reading.

"Dear Sir, Merry Christmas! Please open this package carefully, it's rather fragile.

Harry"

Eyebrows raised in surprise, Severus tentatively pulled a corner of the paper back from the object underneath. A cage? He quickly stripped the rest of the paper off, and sat back on his heels in surprise, looking intently at the owl that looked just as intently back at him.

"Well then, you are a surprise. I've not had an owl in ages." The owl cocked its head to the side as Severus talked to it. "You are a very distinguished looking bird." The owl preened a bit at these words. "Very intelligent also. What shall I call you?"

Severus eyed the remaining packages as he considered the proper name for his new pet. There was a small pile of boxes that were wrapped in the same paper as the cage had been. He quickly unwrapped them and was pleased to find owl treats, food, and a cage cover. He opened the cage door, intending to fill the owl's water and food bowls. The owl took the opportunity of his opening the door to fly out, flew around the room twice, and settled on the fireplace mantle, hooting softly and turning its head to examine the room.

"Ahh, you don't like your cage. Can't say that I blame you, being locked up is uncomfortable." Severus took the bowls out of the cage, filled them, and placed them on his desk. He'd find a better place for them later.

He slowly approached the owl. What would be an appropriate name? "How would you like to be named Essadarius?" The owl looked at him in disgust and turned his back. "Guess that's a no," Severus said, quirking an eyebrow in amusement at the owl's opinion.

"Well then, what about Venator.it means hunter, surely that's a distinguished name." The owl turned his head and started scratching at one wing. "No, eh." Severus stood thinking for several minutes before venturing "Vindicis? Surely Avenger is a good name for an owl." It continued ignoring him. Severus wandered back to his desk, deep in thought, and poured himself a cup of now hot tea.

"Praesidis?" The owl shuffled around on the mantle until it was facing Severus, and cocked its head to the side. "It means 'protecting'. Not sure I need much protecting at the moment though." The owl sat on the mantle for a few more seconds, pushed off from it and flew to Severus, settling lightly on his shoulder. "Praesidis it is then!" Severus reached up and gently stroked the owl's head. What an extraordinary day!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry spent most of his morning reading the letters his father had given him, and looking at the pictures. Ron had tried to lure him away for breakfast, but he had chosen to remain behind and enjoy the opportunity to read in solitude. He had taken one break and gotten himself dressed, and then sunk right back into the letters.

"Harry, aren't you coming for lunch?"

Harry looked up from the parchment in his hand to see Ron standing next to his bed, looking faintly worried.

"No, I'm not hungry, and I want to keep reading." Harry was almost afraid that the box would disappear if he left it.

"But Harry, you didn't have breakfast either." Ron was definitely looking worried now.

"I'm fine Ron, it's just, I want to read my letters. I'll be there for dinner, I promise!" Harry smiled at Ron, glad that he had a friend who worried about him. Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon certainly hadn't cared if he missed a meal. They'd positively encouraged it.

"Fine, mate" Ron closed the door quietly after himself and went down the stairs. He slipped through the door to the common room, deeply in thought.

"Ron, where's Harry?" Ginny was looking toward the door hopefully, expecting to see Harry.

"Says he's not coming." Ron shrugged his shoulders. "He's still reading those letters Snape gave him."

"Oh that's just ridiculous. They aren't going to vanish as soon as he turns his back!" Hermione walked briskly to the door, wrenched it open, and swept through it.

"Oy! Hermione! Where are you going?" Ron watched dumbstruck as the door started to close behind Hermione.

"To get Harry!"

"But Hermione! That's the boys' rooms!" Ron was clearly astonished that Hermione would brave the boy's dorm.

"I think she knows that Ron." Ginny was amused at Ron's shock. She couldn't imagine what he would do if he found out that she'd been sneaking into his bedroom and stealing Harry's shoes.

Before long, Hermione returned, Harry in tow. As they walked through the deserted, gloomy corridors toward the Great Hall, Ron shot quizzical looks at Hermione. Finally wearying of those looks, Hermione grabbed Ron's arm and dragged him into a side corridor. Harry and Ginny, deep in conversation about Harry's letters, didn't notice that they'd disappeared.

"What is the problem Ron?" Hermione had her arms crossed, and was looking impatient.

"What did you say to Harry to get him to leave our room?"

"I pointed out that the letters weren't going anywhere, if he read them all at once they'd be a jumble in his mind, and that this was a good chance to see if Professor Snape liked his present." Hermione ticked her points off on her fingertips as she talked, already looking like a professor.

"Oh." Ron was nonplussed at the logical tone of Hermione's answer.

"Now if you don't mind, I'm hungry." Hermione turned and swept into the main hallway and toward lunch. Ron followed behind her, catching up to her as she reached the doorway. The professors had done their customary decorating, and the room glistened with stars, lights, mistletoe and holly. Hagrid had dragged in several large trees, which were decorated in a variety of magical themes. Harry's favorite was the one situated toward the back of the room. Madam Hooch had decorated it with miniature flying broomsticks and quidditch balls. Each section of the tree was devoted to a different game maneuver, and was fascinating to watch.

Harry and Ginny had seated themselves at the table, with two seats left open nearby for Ron and Hermione. They had served themselves from the platters in front of them, and were busily eating and talking. During a lull in the conversation, Harry felt someone's eyes on him. He looked up, unsurprised to find his father's dark eyes watching him. Harry smiled down the table, his pleasure fairly beaming from his face.

Severus blinked in surprise, ~He looks just like Lily when he smiles like that!~ and smiled tentatively back. Harry nodded at him, and turned back to Ginny, who had just addressed a question to him.

"That is a happy young man, if my eyes don't deceive me." Albus had watched the interaction between the two, and was smiling gently. "I surmise you found the perfect gift?"

"Apparently so, sir." Snape looked into those knowing blue eyes.

"And what did you think of his gift to you?"

"Did you suggest it to him sir?" Snape had considered it likely that Albus had given Harry some suggestions.

"Surprisingly enough, no. I had faith that he would come up with something appropriate, just as you did. Have you given that other matter we discussed any further thought?" Dumbledore raised an eyebrow quizzically.

"Yes, Albus. In fact, I'm going to talk to Harry after lunch and set it up for tomorrow morning."

Dumbledore nodded his head agreeably. "That makes sense. Just the two of you, or are you taking the others too?"

"Just the two of us. Mr. Potter, a moment of your time please." Snape got up from the table as he noticed Harry getting ready to leave.

"Yes sir." Harry motioned the others to go without him, and waited for Snape to catch up. They walked together from the hall and stood before the front doors.

"Harry, first let me thank you for that owl. I haven't had one in a very long time, and he looks to be a first rate one!" Snape didn't realize it, but a look of approval and appreciation was on his face, changing the whole look of it.

Harry looked up at his father, amazed at how a simple change of expression made Snape look much younger and much more approachable.

"I'm glad you like him sir, the witch at the owlery wasn't sure whether she should let me have him, he caused her no end of trouble. Did you name him yet?"

Snape chuckled, the sound a bit rusty as though he'd not used it in a long while, which, in fact, he hadn't. "We agreed on a name. I tried several names on him, and he chose 'Praesidis', which means 'protecting'. Not sure what he thinks needs protecting, but that was his choice!"

"Sir, I can't thank you enough for those letters and pictures." Harry's voice faltered to a stop as he felt his eyes filling with tears. There was no way he could express just how much the letters meant to him. He blinked his eyes rapidly to keep the tears from falling.

"You are welcome Harry. There are some other things I would like to show you, but I need to take you someplace to see them. Would you be willing to take a field trip with me tomorrow morning?" Snape wasn't sure if Harry would be willing to trust him enough to leave the school grounds with him.

"Just the two of us?" Harry was excited at the thought of having the opportunity to ask Snape some of the questions he'd had after reading the letters this morning.

"Will that be alright?"

Harry opened his mouth to answer but never got the chance. At that moment a large black dog nosed the doors open, slithered through the opening it had created, quietly padded into the hall. Its eyes burned as it took in the scene before it, the hairs of its neck rising up, and a growl emanating from its throat. The ominous growling gained volume as it hurled itself toward the two figures standing a few yards in front of it.

"Look out!" Snape saw the dog just before it jumped on him, knocking him off of his feet. The dog stood on his chest, snarling and snapping its teeth just in front of his face. Harry, astonished at the sudden appearance of the dog, froze momentarily before going to the aid of his father. He grabbed the dog by its collar, trying desperately to haul it off of Snape before it did serious damage to him.

"Sirius, stop it! Get off my father before you hurt him!"

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=74