Antiquity's Corollary by gonnabefamous
Past Featured StorySummary: At Lily's request, Albus Dumbledore has kept a secret from Severus Snape for 17 years. When Dumbledore learns that this secret plays a vital role in the war, however, it is Snape who is left to deal with the consequences. As Harry's true parentage is revealed, both his and Snape's futures become uncertain. The two must learn to work together in order to survive. PreHBP.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 58 Completed: No Word count: 401010 Read: 379366 Published: 28 Jun 2005 Updated: 11 Oct 2015
A Final Solution by gonnabefamous

Chapter 13

A Final Solution

xxx

"Careful," Dumbledore said as he helped Severus lower himself to the couch. "Poppy'll have our heads if any further damage is caused."

Severus allowed himself a grim smirk as he gingerly sank to the cool leather surface. "Nonsense. She can't very well have my head, I'm already injured."

"Well, she'll have mine then," Dumbledore agreed, sitting down across from Severus. There was a considerably long silence. Both men seemed to be reflecting on their individual thoughts, and each wondering what to say.

"I think we both know what has to be discussed." Dumbledore said quietly, watching Severus closely.

"Perhaps you are correct, Headmaster" Severus said wearily. "Perhaps the pain is not worth it. After all, it's not worth my life to find out important information such as, oh, I don't know, how to save the Wizarding world. We could deal with the Dark Lord taking over, but a world without me? Heavens," he scoffed, shaking his head, eyes wide as though just the thought were appalling.

"Now really, Severus, is such acerbity necessary?" said Dumbledore with an admonishing shake of his head. "Simply allow me to point out that spy work is not the only task we need you around for. You provide the mainstream of potions we use, some of which have saved our lives when we needed it most. You are very important to the order in more ways than you realize… and you're important as a friend."

"A friend to whom?" Severus sneered.

"To me," Dumbledore said firmly. "To your co-workers… some of your students."

"My students?" Severus asked with his eyebrows raised high. "And they being…? Albus, the entire school hates me, it's no secret."

"If some of the students are less than fond of you, you bring that upon yourself." Dumbledore said seriously, looking over his half moon spectacles. "But some of them look to you for guidance, the members of your own house, for instance."

Severus rolled his eyes. "They look to me because in comparison to the muggle loving fool their parents make you out to be, I'm the only teacher in the school with half a wit. The only one who has any sense. They don't look up to me, Dumbledore. They see me as someone on their side. An ally."

"Draco Malfoy?" Dumbledore suggested.

"Surely you are joking?" Severus said, an ironic expression gracing his face. "His father is Lucius Malfoy, one of, the most notorious Death Eater in the Dark Lord's circle, even if he has fallen out of his good graces at the moment. For Draco to follow in any footsteps other than his father's would be less likely than for my entire house to join the Order."

"And his warning, at the beginning of the year? It did not seem unfounded."

"For all we know, Albus, that "warning" was the reason for Harry's capture. They knew he would be at Hogwarts! How could they if Draco had not been their informant?"

"A good theory," said Dumbledore, nodding his head to the side. "But think of the good that could come from giving Draco the benefit of the doubt."

"I won't be doing anything to help him," said Severus with an air of finality. "I can't risk it; that could be exactly what the Dark Lord is waiting for. If he comes to me, I'll be willing to guide him, but unless that's the case, I'm afraid he'll have to do it all on his own."

"Precisely another reason why you might consider a change in position. Draco might take your place, if all went according to plan," suggested Dumbledore mildly, as though the thought had only just occurred to him.

"Take my place? Albus, please, the boy is far too thick- too spoiled, too arrogant- not unlike Potter in that way, if truth be told-"

Dumbledore looked hard at Severus, brow furrowed, and started softly, "Think of the boy who was coaxed into joining Voldemort nearly twenty years ago because he felt he had no other way out. Think what might have happened if he had known how strong the other side was, that he didn't have to give anything up to save his loved ones or himself. Severus, think how you could prevent the same thing from happening to another boy just by relinquishing this position."

There was a long silence, and when it was obvious that Severus had nothing to say to this, Dumbledore went on.

"Voldemort is becoming more and more alert and penetrating more than the surface of every given situation." Dumbledore said, standing in front of the fireplace and peering sternly down at Severus. "Unless, by some miracle, you evade his growing intelligence, he will soon discover you. I don't want to take that chance."

"And I don't want to take the chance of missing anything important." Severus said unwaveringly. "Just tonight, I may have found out some of the most important information that we've uncovered so far, and the Order should throw that kind of resource away just so I can be safe? You yourself have always said that you sometimes have to choose between what's right and what's easy. I once chose what was easy, and look what the result was. Now I have to do what's right.

"I'm not quitting." Severus now said in an unarguable tone. "Now, I think it's best we move on to more important subject matters, like the Dark Lord's ideas. That is why we came down here, is it not?"

"Yes," Dumbledore sighed in frustration. "What news?"

"Well, I know this will surprise you, but he's after Harry Potter," said Severus, and Dumbledore raised an eyebrow.

"I could have guessed that much," said Dumbledore.

"His plans are still the same," Severus said in all seriousness, now rubbing his head and pulling out a parchment containing all of the information he needed to remember. "It seems the Dark Lord has lost some faith in the average spell work as he used to rely on. He has become obsessed with the power of potions- but since he's failed in procuring Potter for his potion, he'll need time to either capture him again or find a new "enemy" to use for its completion. If he follows through with the latter, this will still result in the same end result- he'll bind himself to his new prodigy and both will need to be killed in order for him to truly die."

Dumbledore nodded solemnly. "I suspected he might be looking for some way to achieve immortality... it seems he has found it, though it is still a fallible plan. Is there no way to counter this potion?

"Not quite," Severus responded sourly. "Actually, Albus, that is the problem. Not only have we no counter, but Voldemort has already taken steps to ensure that Potter cannot defeat him. By taking Potter's blood to revive himself, he shares much of the power that differentiated the two. They are more connected than they have ever been, and if Potter is to survive till the end, we'll have to find some way to break this connection. Otherwise, the boy doesn't have a chance."

"Will learning Occlumency help?" Dumbledore asked, looking worried.

"Only to keep the Dark Lord out of his mind, and bring Potter more intellectual strength and discipline, if such a feat is possible. Beyond that, it can provide no means of defeating him." Severus paused, looked at the parchment again, and rubbed his temples. "Actually, Albus... there is one potion I found while researching counters to the Asterisus... but if I have interpreted it correctly for our situation, we won't be able to brew it correctly. If we could modify it, though, perhaps... but that would take years of research. I wouldn't feel safe testing any variation of it on Potter without at least several trials-"

Dumbledore's eyes were narrowed in intense concentration. "Explain," he said softly.

"With all the correct ingredients and a skillful brewer, this potion could break the connection between Harry and the Dark Lord. It would greatly weaken the Dark Lord while strengthening Harry by creating a transfer of power. It might, I believe, rid Harry of the effects of his curse scar, as well- something that may be beneficial even if it does not have all of the effects I've described thus far. I could, of course, start further research, but I doubt it would be of any use. We are lacking one key ingredient, and I doubt if we could find a way to substitute for it.

"The ingredient?" Dumbledore pressed.

Severus rolled his eyes and replied, "I've already told you, it's quite impossible. The spell calls for the blood of someone who is magically bound to the one you wish to destroy, and bound by blood to the one you wish to transfer power to."

"Magically bound-"

"As in, a Death Eater, who has taken the dark mark, a magical connection between the Dark Lord and his servant."

"And by bound by blood, you mean-"

"A close relative. A father, mother, or a sibling... but any other dilution will not work."

"Which means his relative would have to be a Death Eater." Dumbledore said, shaking his head in disbelief.

Severus nodded. "As I said, it's quite impossible; it is a strong and ancient magic. Blood magic is stronger than any connection forged by a spell- a spell such as the creation of the dark mark. If a Death Eater were to be used, this blood magic would effectively counteract any magical connections with the Voldemort for anyone who drinks it. But no matter. We'll have to find another way. We can develop substances that would weaken the Dark Lord, bring him closer to mortality, take powers, provide hindrances… I really think that would be the best way to go."

There was a moment of silence. The warm light from the fireplace glowing behind Dumbledore made him look most impressive as he rubbed his chin meditatively, gazing unfocused at Severus.

"I want to try the potion." Dumbledore finally said resolutely, rising from where he was seated.

Severus rolled his eyes. "Albus, I've already explained, it's impossible—"

"It's not." Dumbledore said softly, looking directly at Severus. "Severus, there's something I have not been completely truthful with you about..."

A flicker of doubtful understanding crossed the Potions Master's face as he registered the headmaster's words.

xxx End Chapter xxx

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=908