Antiquity's Corollary by gonnabefamous
Past Featured StorySummary: At Lily's request, Albus Dumbledore has kept a secret from Severus Snape for 17 years. When Dumbledore learns that this secret plays a vital role in the war, however, it is Snape who is left to deal with the consequences. As Harry's true parentage is revealed, both his and Snape's futures become uncertain. The two must learn to work together in order to survive. PreHBP.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 58 Completed: No Word count: 401010 Read: 380406 Published: 28 Jun 2005 Updated: 11 Oct 2015
Leniency or Severity by gonnabefamous
Author's Notes:

Thanks to Rlmess and Cithara, as always.

Chapter 31

Leniency or Severity

xxx

"Honestly, sir," Harry said, as they walked down the corridor. They had been asked to return to Dumbledore's office, so that they could fill him in on what had happened and discuss their new approach. "Wouldn't you say that this experience has been punishment enough for my actions?"

Severus leveled him with a glare. "No," he replied ominously; Harry repressed the urge to shudder. The mood between them was much lighter than it ought to be, considering the subject of their conversation. Sure, his father was angry with him… but he wasn't acting it, not really.

"With all due respect, sir," Harry said, daring to push him limits. "I really don't think I ought to be punished for following my instincts…"

"No?" Severus questioned, eyebrows raised. "Well then, I suppose we won't punish you for that."

Harry almost breathed a sigh of relief, before Severus continued. "We'll punish you for complete and utter disobedience, putting all our lives in danger, giving me up as a spy, interfering with the affairs of the Order of the Phoenix, neglecting to accept the help of an adult, and following the directions of an anonymous letter-" Severus glanced at Harry with a dark look. "You have a great deal of idiocy to atone for."

Harry groaned a little and hung his head. In honesty, he had expected this… but part of him had hoped that he might be able to find his way out of it. He didn't want to know what kind of punishment Severus was going to cook up for him, especially so close the Christmas holidays.

"Oh, do settle down," Severus said, his dry tone implying amusement at the distressed look on Harry's face. "You're right in one aspect- you have already suffered for your mistakes. You honestly think I would be so harsh?"

"It's hard to tell, with you," Harry admitted darkly.

"Mmm," Severus murmured, reaching the gargoyle. "Licorice wand," he muttered irritably. "Where on earth does he come up with these passwords?" he inquired softly, shaking his head. Harry couldn't help but give him a little smile- Severus seemed less angry with him than he was trying to be.

"Severus, Harry," the Headmaster greeted them warmly at the top of the stairs. "Good to see you getting along. I worried when you left that you'd come back in a much less pleasant mood."

"Believe it or not, Albus," Severus said as he passed the older man. "I am capable of being humane. Am I not, Harry?"

"That's still debatable," Harry said, standing next to Dumbledore. "You haven't told me what my punishment is, yet."

Severus inclined his head, smirking. "Fair enough," he admitted, sitting down. "Now, Albus, I do believe we have more pertinent information to discuss?"

"Of course, of course," the Headmaster said distractedly, looking from Severus to Harry. This was the first time he'd really witnessed the two of them getting along, and however little he was witnessing right now, it was a somewhat amazing thing. He'd never thought a day would come when the two of them could coexist peacefully in a room together, much less lightly quipping at each other in general good nature, and despite their current topic of conversation. It was almost… heart warming.

Dumbledore moved behind his desk, smiling faintly still, and began. "I think the first thing we should discuss, in terms of the Order, is-"

"Wait-" Harry interrupted, somewhat surprised. "I get to stay for this part?" He was never able to stay for conversations between the headmaster and other staff members. Though he'd known that they'd been asked there to go over what had happened, he hadn't expected to be allowed to stay for business that involved things such as the Order.

"Being that I'm your- guardian, now," Severus said somewhat uncomfortably, examining his hands. His mind flickered back to when Harry had called him "Dad" in that cellar… he'd not yet asked the boy about that. He wasn't sure he planned to. "It is up to me whether you stay or go. I requested that you be able to hear this discussion- I think it's important. If you would rather go, however, you are free to do so."

"No," Harry quickly amended, taking a seat next to Severus. "I'd like to stay… I'm just surprised that I can."

Severus gave him a nod, and then turned back to Dumbledore. "As you were saying?"

"Well, first matters first, we should cover how we came to this situation."

Damn, and Harry had thought he might avoid this uncomfortable overview of events… as if he wasn't being censured enough by his father. Now he had to endure the Headmaster's eyes full of faded twinkle as he versed the man on the events. "This is why you wanted me here," Harry quietly muttered.

Severus smirked slightly, but remained silent. Served the boy right. He should feel guilty… right? Severus found himself rethinking that as he looked at the boy's face… it was sad. He looked… older, and yet, younger at the same time. Like a small child who knew what he'd done wrong… yet like an old adult who could comprehend the full magnitude of those actions. What a combination; a childlike guilt complex and an overly mature appreciation for consequences. Severus contemplated this; the boy in front of him had been forced to grow up too fast. Why hadn't he seen this before?

"Professor Dumbledore, I'm really sorry," Harry said. It was a bit difficult to come right out and say this, but with his father sitting next to him, he didn't dare protest and have to listen to every one of his statements be disproved. He knew he had been in the wrong… though he still thought he should receive some credit for his bravery.

"I'm not asking you to apologize," Dumbledore countered softly, before Harry could go any further. Severus rolled his eyes and sat back in his chair. Despite his thoughts about Harry's maturity, he was still bothered by the fact that no one ever held him accountable for his actions. Dumbledore shot him a warning look, that seemed to say, You've come this far, don't ruin it for yourself now.

Severus glanced at Harry and shook his head. This boy is treated with far too much leniency, he thought to himself. Though I suppose that's no fault of his own… and he is rather difficult to blame for anything, when one actually tries to be firm with him. … Harry was very difficult to dislike, when one came to know him. Severus almost rebuked himself for that thought, and then realized it was exactly the sort of thing he was supposed to be thinking. It was such a frustrating process, readjusting his entire mindset towards the boy.

"I just need an account of what happened, apologies and justifications aside, Harry," Dumbledore continued. "This isn't about placing blame or glory, I'm sure you know that's not my objective. The ministry will need to be told something of this, but there may be certain details that we must… ah… omit, or alter, for our benefit. For the Order's benefit," he clarified.

"Ok," Harry said, nodding. "Well, I was sitting at breakfast, and I received this letter in a black envelope with white writing. I knew just by looking at it that it was something I should read in private, so I took it down to the dungeons, because not many people who probe me for information are down there."

Severus cleared his throat as though to say something, but Dumbledore held up a hand to silence him. Severus sat back in his chair, looking disgruntled.

Harry glanced at his father, frowning, and then continued. "I read it and then deliberated for awhile. I couldn't decide whether or not to go… but I guess you know my decision. I wanted to come get someone, but I thought that you wouldn't want to give up his position as a spy… so you wouldn't do anything."

Harry fell silent, seemingly waiting for a response.

"Harry," Severus said after a moment. "We have planned our every action to coordinate with moments like these. Believe me, had I been in danger and had you told Dumbledore, everything still would have gone along with our plans…. you have to trust that what we are doing is for the best. You must give the power over to the adults."

"Every time I do it backfires," Harry said solemnly, narrowing his eyes.

"Oh really?" Severus asked skeptically, crossing his arms.

"Yes, really," Harry insisted. "First year, I went to McGonagall, and told her about the Sorcerers Stone and the plot to steal it. She insisted it was safe- yet if I hadn't shown up, it would have been Voldemort's."

"Someone would have arrived," Dumbledore said. "And Voldemort never would have realized how to get it out of the mirror- though you did do an admirable job."

"Stop treating him like a child, Albus," Severus intervened. "Don't coat every situation in sugar; it's unhealthy to one's perception of good decision making. Harry, I think you should be able to make some of your own decisions, but there are certain things that you still need to leave to us."

"I wasn't finished," Harry interrupted- snapped, almost.

Harry half expecting to be rebuked for this. However, Severus just spread his hands in a small gesture and said, "Please, continue then."

"If we hadn't taken matters into our own hands in second year, Ginny would be dead and Voldemort would have returned that year. If we hadn't… sorry, sir, but if we hadn't all cursed you into silence-"

"More unconsciousness than simple silence," Severus muttered as Harry continued.

"-third year, an innocent man would have been killed- my godfather. In fourth year, a teacher was the one that did hurt me, just because I trusted him and let him guide me. Fifth year… fifth year was a mistake," he admitted quietly. "But the point is that often, my intuition is correct… and often, better than yours."

"Better is an overstatement," Severus said, crossing his arms. "Second year, if you had told someone about that blasted diary, or if you had come to another teacher with your information about the Chamber of Secrets, then you would have been much safer. We could have destroyed that blasted thing and Miss Weasley never would have been dragged into the chamber in the first place. You were lucky to be healed from that Basilisk's venom, but you may not always be so lucky. In your third year…" Severus stopped and thought for a moment, and then shook his head. "Well, you did have the help of an adult in the end, didn't you? Headmaster Dumbledore subtly recommended the use of the time turner for your purpose- yes," he added as Harry's jaw dropped slightly, "I do know about that. Otherwise, Black still would have died. You needed an adult then. In your fourth year, if you hadn't…"

Severus stopped himself, then, afraid of what he was about to say next. He had been about to state the fact that Cedric wouldn't have died if Harry hadn't asked him to take the cup out of nobility, but that was just… cruel. And as it had nothing to do with asking adults for help, it was somewhat irrelevant.

"I see your point," Severus finally surrendered, unwilling to go to that extent to make his point. "But I'm hopeful that you see mine as well. You need adults, and we need… well, I suppose we need you. Perhaps cooperation is a better alternative."

"Do you mean that?" Harry questioned, sitting forward a bit.

"I've told you before; this won't be easy for me… but yes, I do intend to keep this promise. I will attempt to cooperate rather than… ah..."

"Control?" Harry tried. Severus considered him with a slightly peeved expression for a moment, and then inclined his head.

"Mind you, there will be times where you must accept my authority on some things."

"I understand that," Harry said, nodding. The prospect of having someone to be an actual parent to him sounded… agreeable. Pleasant. His life had been full of non-committal, impermanent parental figures, but none of them had really come close to what a real parent ought to be.

"As much as I hate to interrupt," interjected the Headmaster gently, "There are two Aurors and a team of rather curious ministry officials waiting in the Entrance Hall; I doubt Professor McGonagall will be able to deter them from meeting with me for long. The story, Harry- what happened after you read the note?"

"I ran into Draco Malfoy. It struck me at that point that- well- if he really was trying to help me in this, he might be willing to help me then. In short, he agreed to come. I ran back to the Gryffindor common room to get my cloak, but Ginny caught me, and knew something was up. She wouldn't leave my side, and threatened to notify McGonagall if we left… so I allowed her to come."

Severus opened his mouth, but Dumbledore was quick to stop him from speaking, yet again. "Severus, we really must get through this. You can take your son and thoroughly lecture him later," there was a glint of humor in the old man's eyes, here, "but I must request that you refrain from interruption."

Severus glared defiantly at the Headmaster for a moment, then towards his son. After a few seconds pause, he rose abruptly, fetching several pieces of parchment, a quill, and a book off the Headmaster's desk. As Harry continued his story, he sat furiously scribbling notes…

xxx

Pain flared up through Severus' arm; he didn't answer. He only winced, receiving a pained look from Harry.

Severus status among the Death Eaters had been irrevocably damaged. However, in order to keep the Ministry from interfering with his working at Hogwarts, he and the Headmaster had carefully constructed a story that would, unless acutely investigated, imply that Severus had retained his position in Lord Voldemort's ranks.

The only option, now, was to use what they already knew, and start work on the potion as quickly as possible.

"Today."

"Today?" Harry exclaimed in surprise.

"Yes, today," Severus repeated, rising from his seat and collecting several volumes off his bookshelf. "We haven't any time to spare; now that Lucius has informed the Dark Lord of our familial connection, he'll know what we're planning to do. He'll either double his efforts to kill you before such a time when the potion can be completed… or he'll find a counter-solution. In all probability, he'll try both. I don't want to take the risk of being unprepared, and neither does the Headmaster."

"But… are we even prepared to start? The way I'd understood, we hadn't even found the actual book with the potion in it, yet…"

"Well, we had a fair idea where to look, obviously, since we'd already learned the ingredients. It didn't take Miss Granger long to locate the book with the exact formula."

"Hermione?"

"I thought we'd been through this before," Severus growled, somewhat more exasperatedly than warranted.

"Well, yes, but I didn't think she'd actually be helping already, and-"

"Harry," Severus loudly interjected. "If you don't mind…?" he waved his hand at the book in front of him, and Harry quieted.

"I have a bit of reading to do," Severus quietly said as he lowered his gaze to the book. "We're finished here. Go find Miss Granger, or the Headmaster, if you have more questions, and return with the former at six tonight. And do try to be prompt."

Harry frowned slightly as he grudgingly complied with his father's request. "Sorry," he muttered, reaching for the door.

"Blast it all, Harry!" Severus yelled, thumping his hands down on the table in front of him. "I have just lost my value to the order, had to endure 4 hours of questioning at the hands of the Headmaster and those relentless, gnashing hounds the ministry refer to as Aurors, and there is mind numbing pain shooting from my left forearm all the way up to my cerebral cortex! Add to that sum '20 questions' from you and all this damned reading, and consider just why I am so bloody irritable!"

"I'm leaving, I'm leaving!" Harry yielded as he slipped out the door, before Severus could continue on his rant. "Didn't have to yell," Harry muttered quietly as he made his way down the corridor, heading for the library, where he would most likely find Hermione. As little as Harry wanted to admit it, it was a bit unsettling and somewhat hurtful to be talked to that way again. He didn't like being thought of as a thorn in his father's side. Yes, Severus had valid complaints to make him so irascible, but Harry had just been trying to ask questions.

"Harry!" a small voice exclaimed quietly. He turned around and saw Hermione heading towards him.

"Hermione," he returned. He offered a smile; she lifted her hand and smacked him smartly across the head. As if that was what he needed after Severus' little outburst.

"One of these days, Harry James Potter," she said in a trembling voice, looking on the verge of tears. "Your antics are going to get you killed!"

She threw her arms around his neck, and coming out of the shock of all her turning emotions, Harry grasped her as well. Girls could be so odd at times.

"We were so worried," she confessed, muffling her voice in his shirt. "When I realized you and Ginny were gone from the common room, well first, first I thought you two had run off somewhere to be alone… but then I ran into Ron and he told me that she'd started dating Justin Finch-Fletchley just last week, and I didn't know where you could have gone off to for such a long time! And we went to get Headmaster Dumbledore, but he was already gone, and so we went to McGonagall and she said that the portraits in his office had informed her that he had just left, on his way to rescue you two, and… oh Harry!"

"I'm sorry, Hermione," Harry said, mostly to console her. "I didn't mean to give you such a fright."

"Well it's just that normally, we're included in these things, or at least have a general idea of what's going on…"

"I know," Harry said quietly. "But I didn't want to put you at risk."

"You're an idiot," said Hermione affectionately, wrapping her arms around him again.

"Severus said you found the book with the full instructions on how to make the Potion?" Harry said, delicately switching topics. Hermione took the bait.

"Oh yes! Once he'd rattled off that list of ingredients, it wasn't difficult to ascertain what kind of potion he was talking about, and once you know the type of brew, you can easily find the book containing it."

"Where'd you find it?"

"The restricted section, of course."

"Of course. Is it going to be very difficult?"

Hermione gave him a dubious look. "All that time to make, all those ingredients, all those magical properties that must be so intricately woven together to form one, united, powerful substance strong enough to give the drinker almost supernatural strength against his foe, and you think it could possibly be an easy task?"

"Well I was just asking," Harry defended him, shrugging.

"Hmm," Hermione murmured. "I take it you'd like to see the book?"

"Yes, I would, actually."

"I'll run and fetch it, and you can read through it while I finish this weekend's homework."

"Is it in the common room?" Harry inquired, and Hermione shook her head.

"No, I can't take books out of the restricted section anymore. Apparently a nasty hex book got passed around the Slytherin common room earlier this year; resulted in a foul bit of work for Madame Pomfrey, once the first years got hold of it."

"The first years?" Harry exclaimed. "I would have thought the seventh would be the worst."

"No, dangerous curses are far more dangerous in the hands of an innocent, naïve child, who knows not when to wreak havoc, nor can comprehend the amount of damage a spell will do," Hermione explained, leading Harry over to the restricted section.

"Funny," Harry muttered. "I always thought Malfoy seemed quite capable of appropriately estimating the damage that could be done with a spell in our younger years."

"Well, perhaps I should correct myself," Hermione allowed. "Younger students don't comprehend the full consequences of those actions. Damage always seems wonderfully easy to reverse, when you're young." She paused a second, then smiled. "Ah, here you go," she declared, picking a velvety green book out of the row and handing it to Harry. "Page 638."

"Thanks," Harry said quietly, flipping pages as they chose a table. "Looks like a recent book."

"It's a modified version of an older one," Hermione informed him. "That's why it was so easy to pinpoint the spell we needed to use; this book is actually a condensed, modernized form of a book all about ancient blood magic, written during Voldemort's first reign. This little treasure contains just about every blood related spell or potion that could be used against Voldemort. Given how much blood he causes others to shed, and how strong a magical ingredient it is, there are quite a few of them in there. It's also written in terms much easier to understand- some of the old spells are actually completely written in Latin, in earlier versions, and the others are far too complicated to understand. At least for most people."

Harry chuckled. "I suppose you consider yourself a bit above those people?"

A wounded look crossed Hermione's face. "No… well, a bit, yes…"

"I didn't mean it as an insult," Harry said. After a moment, he said. "You know, I'm actually a bit surprised you haven't taken it upon yourself to learn the whole Latin language."

"I do wish they'd offer it as a class, here," she admitted, chewing on the end of her quill. "But depending on the field I go into after my schooling here is finished, I may still learn to speak and read it fluently."

"Fascinating," Harry jested good-naturedly, skimming over the text. Apparently, this was going to be quite complicated. "I hope Severus isn't expecting me to brew much of this," Harry said, half to himself.

"That's why he's including me, remember?" Hermione teased, a glint of humor in her eyes as she smirked up at him. "You're utterly useless with this sort of thing."

"I am not useless!" Harry retorted, half laughing. "I just don't perform well under pressure."

"Says the Boy-Who-Continues-To-Live," Hermione quipped. "Despite-The-Constant-Dangers-He-Faces-Mainly-Out-Of-Sheer-Stupidity."

"Don't push it, Hermione," Harry warned her playfully, animatedly reaching for his wand.

Hermione laughed, but took his advice and went back to work. He skimmed the rest of the text, growing bored. It really wasn't as interesting as Hermione might have made it out to be.

xxx

"You really think he'd be so displeased if we didn't come?" Harry questioned desperately, as Hermione dragged him down the corridor towards Snape's quarters.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "He wanted us there at six. In your words, promptly. I will not have my standing with him worsened, even slightly- I happen to care very much that I have the respect of my professors, especially when that professor happens to be the father of one of my best friends."

"Yes, but he was in such a horrible mood when I left…"

"And as he had the graciousness to explain why, I'm sure you can understand and deal with it," Hermione said, if not a bit forcefully, as she tightened her grip on his arm. "Besides, do you really want to worsen his mood?"

"No," Harry said sullenly, dragging his feet.

"Oh honestly," Hermione huffed, reaching Snape's door.

"Honestly what?" Severus inquired as he reached the door from the opposite end of the hall at the same time.

"I- Good evening, sir," Hermione greeted him, avoiding the question. He raised an eyebrow and narrowed his eyes suspiciously, but returned the greeting with a nod.

Harry looked his father over. "What've you been up to?" he asked casually, receiving a sharp poke in the side from Hermione.

"I was seeing the Headmaster about a solution for this tedious pain," Severus said, opening his door.

"Did you find one?" Harry asked, receiving another pointed glare from the friend at his shoulder.

"Yes, thank Merlin," Severus muttered, lighting a fire. "I trust you've brought the necessary materials, Miss Granger?"

"Yes, sir," she said, immediately starting forward and emptying the contents of her bag, one by one, on the low oak table in the sitting room.

Severus nodded in approval, and then turned to Harry. "In the next hour, we will talk about some very serious things. While I trust you, I'm not entirely sure I trust your rash nature…" he paused here, a pained look gracing his face, and extended his hand. "I am going to ask you for your wand."

"What could you possibly say that would make me need my wand?" Harry questioned, alarmed.

"Harry," Severus sighed, frustrated. "Do me a service and comply without further argument, before I incriminate myself."

"What?"

"Harry, he means he doesn't want to say something that could be taken as hurtful," Hermione clarified impatiently. "Now just hand over the wand?"

"I can't believe you think me so impulsive and lacking in self-discipline that you need to take my wand to have a conversation," Harry snapped, standing to reach into his robe pocket and hand it to his father.

"I've known you long enough not to believe otherwise," Severus said, tucking it away. "I'll give it back when we're finished."

"Yeah," Harry responded snappishly, sitting down on the couch and looking a bit miffed. Hermione and Severus actually exchanged glances, before going on.

"Previously, we had the problem of securing several ingredients," Severus started, lifting a tome from another table and lying it open on the table in front of Hermione and Harry. "This is, of course, the first step to beginning the potion. The Veela Hair, I think, shall be difficult to acquire on short notice, and expensive, but I'm sure that won't be a problem, with Dumbledore helping us. But it's more common in France than it is here-"

Hermione cut in. "I can write Viktor Krum and ask him to write Fleur-"

"Or," Severus cut in somewhat sardonically, giving Hermione a rigid look, "we could have the Headmaster floo-call the latter."

Hermione flushed. "Yes, that would be easier," she agreed quietly. Severus merely nodded.

"Sir," Harry said. "How are we going to secure the blood and Oath of secrecy from a Death Eater… and the flesh of Voldemort… if you, well, you know…"

"Yes," Severus said uneasily. "Well, this is the part that I thought might anger you-"

"Dumbledore's not making you go back, is he?" Harry said slowly… dangerously.

"No," Severus breathed, avoiding eye contact. He moved around the couch, while Harry and Hermione watched him, looking deep in thought. "I spoke with Draco Malfoy earlier- after you left, Harry. I believe he is the best possible source for our ingredients."

"I don't understand," Harry said. "If Malfoy isn't a Death Eater, then…" he broke off, seeing the change in Severus' expression at that last bit. "He's becoming a Death Eater, isn't he?"

Their eyes connected, but Severus gave no answer.

"Isn't he?" Harry demanded, raising his voice. "Just when I was beginning to trust the little git, he turns around and-"

"Harry, wait a moment," Severus said, stepping around the table and urging Harry back into his chair by his shoulders.

"Wait a moment? For what? To be stabbed in the back again? You know, you'd think there's no one I can trust- in fact, Hermione, is there anything you'd like to share with me?"

"Harry!" Hermione gasped, hurt.

"What Draco did is much more complicated than a simple betrayal, so let me explain before you finish this little outburst," Severus said forcefully, crossing his arms.

"Little outburst," Harry muttered to himself. "Oh, go ahead, explain," Harry said with a sarcastic wave of his hand, at the narrowing of Snape's eyes. "Explain what justifies joining the Death Eaters!"

"I joined the Death Eaters once upon a time, you do realize!" Severus snapped at him, looking affronted. "No, I suppose nothing justifies it, especially where you Gryffindors are concerned, but perhaps there are some ways to atone for it! So listen, before you jump to your rash conclusions and begin wielding the sword of blame and condemnation!"

"Well I didn't mean-" Harry started defensively, only to be cut off by Severus.

"It's perfectly clear what you meant!"

This is why it always came in handy to have Dumbledore standing by, to keep such fights from escalating. On the inside, Severus knew he ought not to be yelling at the boy in front of him, especially after his gruff treatment this afternoon, but he really didn't think he could help it. He hadn't been angered by Harry's statement… he had been wounded. And, impenetrable brick wall he was used to being, that was a difficult emotion for him to deal with… so here he was, making things ten times worse, by lashing out at the boy. Honestly, it was doubtful whether either one of them would survive the upcoming holiday at this rate, let alone the entire summer to follow.

But Harry had touched somewhere deep… not with his comments about Death Eaters, but when he had reached out to his father in that cellar. When they had shared smiles and civil conversation… it had been… was nice the right word? Well, supposing it was, yes, it had been nice. And now, he felt like it was right back to square one. He was getting better, day by day, at forgiving himself for his past mistakes. But would Harry ever forgive him?

Harry hadn't meant to offend Severus, he really hadn't. Not one part of him had intended to insult Severus by insulting anyone who would join them… and yet, he knew he had. But somehow, he was so used to going into defensive mode that he didn't' quite know how to stop arguing. If he calmly apologized and said what he was thinking, it would feel like admitting defeat. And part of him was still aware that Hermione was in the room with them- ah, yes, there she was, standing in the shadows, trying to be inconspicuous as possible. She was clearly uncomfortable- but still listening with rapt attention to their- ah- debate… and he didn't want to sacrifice his pride… not in front of one of his best friends.

"Fine," Harry finally breathed, trying to gracefully end the fight. "Explain to me… about Malfoy."

Severus stared at him for a moment, slightly put off by the way Harry had changed the topic of the argument, but he allowed it. After all, they needed to get through this… but they would talk later. About multiple things.

"Draco's opinion of Dumbledore has… never been a fond one, to state it lightly," Severus began. "Thick as he may sometimes be, he is one of the most observant boys I've ever taught- he learned that from his father. He watches and mentally takes notes, and he doesn't forget the things that are said and done by others. He's more than aware of how Dumbledore tends to treat people… do you understand what I mean by that?"

Severus was the first to admit that Dumbledore wasn't perfect… but with Hermione Granger in the room, a girl who seemed (at least from what Severus had seen) to stake her life on having the trust, approval, and favoritism of her teachers… he didn't trust himself to speak too freely of his employer.

"Yeah," Harry said, nodding. "The way he always has a plan… and whether you like it or not, you end up following it."

"Precisely," Severus agreed. "For some reason, Draco has it in his head that if he goes to the Headmaster for help… he'll be indebted to the old man, and he insists that this would be far worse than joining the Dark Lord."

Hermione made a scoffing noise from her place in the background, and Harry frowned. "I asked you to call him Voldemort," he said.

Severus quirked an eyebrow in challenge, and Harry realized how rudely that had come out. "I mean," he quickly corrected, "please- call him Voldemort?"

"Better," Severus conceded. "I, of course, tried to convince the boy of the stupidity of his logic, but he would have none of it. You see, his father seems determined to have him inducted into the Death Eaters before Christmas this year-"

"A fine gift," Harry muttered. This seemed to amuse Severus, but only slightly, as he neutralized his expression only a moment later and carried on.

"And, unfortunately, we are in no position to stop it."

"Well why not?" Hermione spoke up, for the first time in twenty minutes. "I mean, we know ahead of time- can't we find a way to force him to stay here, or-"

"And out of his parent's hands? You cannot forcibly keep a child from his parents, Miss Granger, unless he wishes for you to do so and has sufficient evidence that he's being abused. What's more, we have only my word on what's to happen during the holidays, and that's hardly evidence enough to stop Lucius Malfoy, one of the world's most connected men, from getting to his son."

"And what about after?" Hermione asked.

"It will still be of no use. There are spells that can be used to hide a Dark Mark, so none of the teachers will notice it."

"But you'll know it's there!" Harry protested.

"Yes, but that's where things become very complicated," Severus said. "If he were to be arrested- well, first of all, it's highly doubtful that they would send a child to Azkaban. Second of all, how could we possibly get any inside information that way?"

"Wha- well, Malfoy already said he wouldn't work for Dumbledore, right? So how would we get any anyways?"

"Just because he won't 'enslave himself to an old, doddering fool like Dumbledore', as he so eloquently stated it," Severus said, half rolling his eyes, half smirking. "Does not mean he's not somewhat willing to give us information- and the ingredients we require for the potion."

"In exchange for what?" Hermione asked coldly. Severus turned and smirked at her, his black eyes glinting with unidentifiable thoughts.

"Don't miss a beat, do you Miss Granger?" he asked oddly, and then turned back to Harry. "He wants your testimony. When all this is over… that's what he wants. A ticket out of Azkaban."

"Very clever," Hermione commented from behind, crossing her arms.

"That's a Slytherin," Severus said, nodding his head. "So, Harry; what shall I tell him?"

"Tell him that I want to speak to him privately," Harry said, folding his arms.

"I'm not sure that's such a wonderful idea, Harry," Hermione said.

"And why not?"

"Because if nothing else, Draco Malfoy is a Slytherin- no offense, sir," she said apologetically, glancing at Snape. "But he's manipulative, deceitful, and he'll know just how to talk to gain your trust and give himself loopholes. You're not the best at paying careful attention to detail."

Harry started to argue, but Severus forestalled him with a look, and agreed with Hermione. "The girl's right; Draco Malfoy would talk circles around you. What, you doubt my word?" he asked at Harry's dubious look. "Given a few more years of his father's influence, he'd most likely be able to persuade you to sell your very soul."

"He's never struck me as that intelligent," Harry muttered, looking resentful at what was seemingly praise of another boy by his father.

"Well, his strength has never been in the area of subtlety, no," Severus allowed, "nor does he have tremendous skill at stealth or sound reasoning- but remember, he is in my house for a reason."

Harry laughed bitterly. "I always thought it was just because he was a bully."

"Being a Bully has nothing to do with the traits of a Slytherin!" Severus snapped, narrowing his eyes sharply at Harry. "You should know that, after last year."

Harry immediately flushed. Not only at the statement itself and the memories it tugged to the surface, but also at the harsh, resentful tone to his father's voice. He had hoped they would move past that quickly; he could see now this wasn't going to be the case.

"I said I was sorry for that," Harry said quietly, looking up at Severus.

Severus stared at him for a moment, jaw tightened and teeth grinding within his mouth. He hadn't meant to snap like that… he hadn't meant to do or say a fair few of the things that he had today. This was perhaps the scariest part of learning he was Harry's father; he'd come to know the boy, and he wanted to be a good father to him, and he wanted to be closer to the boy, and he wanted to be able to control his temper… but he wasn't sure he would be able to. It was more complicated than he'd ever imagined it would be.

"Perhaps," he said stiffly, "this isn't the best time to discuss this… any of this."

"Do you want us to leave, sir?" Hermione inquired softly.

"Again?" Harry added grudgingly, sitting back and folding his arms.

"No, that is exactly what I don't want," Severus muttered, resting his hands on the back of the couch. "Not until we've resolved what you plan to do about this."

"What, are you afraid I'll go ruin the whole plan?" Harry asked.

"For a lack of better words, yes," Severus said, raising his eyebrows.

"I don't need to be babysat!"

"You've proven otherwise in the past."

"I'm capable of controlling myself! You don't have to do it for me!"

"As your father," Severus said, stressing the last word, "it is my responsibility to guide you where your judgment may be clouded."

"Fine," Harry said. "So what, I'm hereby held hostage until you hear what you want out of me?"

Severus' eyes widened slightly; he snapped his open mouth shut, and then very slowly responded. "I have no wish to deal with you when you are like this. I've prepared my spare room for you. Go to bed, and I will talk to you in the morning."

"Are you kidding? You're sending me to bed?"

"No, I am quite serious about this. Goodnight."

"But-"

"Goodnight," Severus said more forcefully. The warning note in his voice was enough to deter Harry from further arguments, but his anger was not abated. He glared at his father for a moment, and finally stomped past him, slamming the door with far more force than was necessary to adequately close it.

Severus closed his eyes for a moment, and then turned to address Hermione. She spoke first, however. "Sir, I know you're very tired, but if I could have a word with Harry before I leave?"

"Be my guest," Severus scoffed, gesturing towards the closed door.

"Thank you," she said, turning and heading towards Harry's room.

Hermione knocked on his door. There was no response. She turned towards Snape, who was watching with a doubtful look on his face. "The doors won't lock without a special charm issued by myself," he said. "Let yourself in." He nodded toward the door, and Hermione reached down for the knob. He was right, it wasn't locked.

She entered the room and ducked a flying pillow.

"Oh, it's you," Harry said grudgingly. "Thanks for all your help out there."

"Shut up, you idiot," Hermione said heatedly, crossing her arms. "You are acting like a five year old. Do you even realize how immature and completely irrational you are being right now?"

"Don't try to tell me off like I'm-"

"Well someone has to, and you'd better shape up before Professor Snape does it, because he's going to be a lot less indulgent than I am apt to be!"

"You're telling me. The man has the worst temper-"

"Don't, Harry," Hermione said, shaking her head with an almost deadly look in her eyes. "You deserved to be reprimanded a lot more than you were, and you should know it. The worst temper- you want to talk about the worst temper? Look at yourself! The man attempts to have a civilized discussion with you about the problems at hand, and you go completely off on him and act like he's treating you so horribly- he's not, Harry."

"Where does he get off thinking he can-"

"Keep you from making stupid mistakes? Give you advice?"

"He talks down to me, like I'm an idiot!"

"You're being oversensitive," Hermione snapped. "He is your father- this is what you've wanted your whole life, and now that you've finally got it, you're doing your very best to make sure you get rid of it again."

"A parent isn't supposed to treat you like they own you."

"He doesn't- he treats you like he's responsible for you, which he is. No offense, Harry, but you're not exactly the best authority on how a father should behave. You've certainly never had a good look at what a family should be like. You lived in a house where you saw good parenting as doting on one's child and yielding to all of said child's demands."

"I never thought that was good parenting," Harry said.

"And yet that's what you're expecting."

"He's not even trying."

"He's trying a hell of a lot more than you are."

xxx End Chapter 31 xxx

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=908