The Painful Guardianship by Dina
Summary: AU - Finally Snape and Harry get to the “bottom” of things. A Snape adopts Harry Fic. The story starts by the end of POA and takes over from there. Contains spoilers to GOF and Ootp. The series involve spanking of children/teens. If you are not comfortable with this theme. Please do not read.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Deaging, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 31 Completed: No Word count: 152441 Read: 196552 Published: 15 Jul 2005 Updated: 23 Nov 2008
Chapter 10 - Some Trouble by Dina
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: What can I say, I definitely do not own them :(. The lucky one is JKR.

As soon as Harry returned to the common room, he found both Ron and Hermione bouncing with excitement. They did not give him time to breathe before being dragged to his dormitory by them to talk.

“Harry you won’t believe it, oh Harry it is great news,” Hermione squealed.

“Er .. right, what?” Harry had a feeling he knew exactly what they were going to tell him.

“It’s Buckbeak Harry, he escaped. And Hagrid was –“

“Yeah I know!”

“You know?”

“How do you know?”

Right what should he say now? “I .. uh.. Professor Snape talked about it.” Well, he did, only not that day.

“He did? Well that is strange!” Hermione regarded Harry suspiciously.

Harry knew that she would soon put two and two together and will eventually know that he had lied. He didn’t even know why he hadn’t told them about it last night. It would have been much easier. They already knew he was late and that he received detention. He might as well have told them what happened. Stupid. You will always be stupid, there is no cure for that!

He sighed resignedly when Hermione asked the inevitable question narrowing her eyes, “Harry, where is your invisibility cloak?”

Ron opened his mouth to answer Hermione, but stopped before uttering one word, and looked sharply at Harry. Great, now Ron had figured it out too!

“Um ... actually ...”

Hermione raised an eyebrow, not very unlike Snape, while Ron yelled, “Harry, I don’t believe this. Were you the one who freed Buckbeak?”

Harry nodded, prompting Ron to continue, “And why didn’t you tell us. Why did you do it alone? And you didn’t even tell us when you came back yesterday.”

Harry didn’t have an answer to that, “I .. um .. thought you would be angry and I didn’t want you to get in trouble with me.” That was actually true. Harry really didn’t want to get them into trouble, this, and the fact that it would have been impossible to convince Hermione in such a short time. Besides it was easy for him to get the cloak and free Buckbeak alone, it would have been much more difficult if it was the three of them together.

His answer however was not enough for calming down his two friends. Ron was agitated that Harry did it alone and failed to tell them since the last night, while Hermione was deeply infuriated that he did it at all. Finishing with, “Did you really think that Dumbledore would have let him die?”, Hermione stormed out of the dormitory while Ron stomped to the bathroom.

Harry put his head in his hands and groaned. Would he ever have one day without some sort of torment? Now his friends are angry with him over some stupid reason. Why didn’t he ever tell the?

Ron came back from the bathroom, and without a word he changed his clothes and lied in bed putting a pillow over his head. Great – Just great!

Harry got up, used the bathroom, changed and lied in bed too. He was vaguely aware of Neville, Seamus and Dean, coming into the dormitory and the loud noises of changing and lying in bed. When he finally heard the regular breaths of his room mates, he closed his eyes.

===============================================================

After what seemed to Harry like one minute exactly, he woke up with a hand poking his shoulder painfully. He opened his eyes shakily and blinked, then immediately sat up when he saw Snape standing beside his bed trying to wake him.

“Get up, Potter” Snape hissed.

Harry jumped out of bed immediately, something must have happened, if Snape was in his dormitory in the Gryffindor Tower waking him up forcefully, then something terrible must have happened. “What Sir, what happened?”

“Shhhhh, come with me, make haste,” Snape whispered.

Harry was confused and very worried. It seemed to be long past midnight and there was still no sound except the regular breathing of his roommates. Maybe he should wake up the others? Or may be Ron, if it was related to Pettigrew. Harry whispered, “Sir, should I wake Ron.”

Snape glared at him, “Absolutely not Potter. It is Weasely who has put you in this situation, he and that girl Granger. Really, you call those friends?”

Harry felt a stab of anger inside him, he might have fought with them today, but this did not mean they were not his friends. Still, he did not know the ‘situation’ that Snape talked about but imagined that at least it wouldn’t be something dangerous for his friends.

He followed Snape quietly down the stairs. As they reached the common room, he felt Snape pulling him close and put a hand over his mouth. Harry stood still, almost panicking. Snape pulled him to the corner of the room in the shadows, as the portrait hole opened. Dumbledore was getting inside the hole his voice ringing speaking with another person behind him, “And as I said, this must be all a mistake. I will wake Mr. Potter now and see what the real story is, but Mr. Dursley you should really calm yourself down ….”

Harry felt nauseated. He did not hear anything after the word ‘Dursley’. He opened his eyes wide to see Vernon Dursley shaking with rage, following Dumbledore, his face almost purple. Harry whimpered only to feel Snape’s hand tightening over his mouth. As soon as Dumbledore and his uncle disappeared on the stairs to the dormitories, Snape pushed Harry from his place and out the portrait hole, Harry vaguely hearing Ron’s voice saying, “ … and he didn’t even tell us.”

In a few seconds, Harry found himself in the dungeons in Snape’s office, sitting on the sofa beside Snape. He looked at Snape bewildered, how did they reach the dungeons in a few seconds? And why was Vernon Dursley here? What did Ron and Hermione do? Was this all because he did not tell them about Buckbeak? And how was Vernon Dursley in Hogwarts?

Snape put his arm around Harry’s shoulders and pulled him to his chest. Harry rested his head there almost forgetting what happened. He didn’t care as long as Snape was with him. His teacher whispered in his ear, “Don’t you ever worry Harry, I will protect you!”

Harry closed his eyes and fell asleep feeling safe and protected with a small smile on his lips. No one is going to hurt him now. Snape was beside him shaking his shoulders gently … well not very gently but Harry didn’t care … Snape kept shaking his shoulders ….

Harry opened his eyes after a few minutes, the shaking was really forceful now and it was irritating. Harry’s eyes was hurting, there was a lot of light around and Neville was standing beside him shaking him. Neville??? Harry looked around. A dream!!!! Another dream!!!! It felt sooo real. Harry shook his head to clear it. He sighed. Did what happen with Ron and Hermione really shake him that much? To think that they would complain about it to Uncle Vernon, and he would come to Hogwarts???? Well Harry James Potter, you are now totally and formally insane!! Harry looked around again and registered the flustered look of Neville’s face, he looked at the clock and BLIMEY!!!! Potions! Harry seriously wondered if the Snape in his dream would be able to protect Harry against the real enraged Snape if he was late. Harry dived to the bathroom, and after a few seconds he was all dressed and running with Neville down the stairs to Potions. As they were running he reminded himself to thank Neville later, Neville, the person whose boggart was Professor Snape risked being late to Snape’s class just to wake him up. Phewwww, they reached the class as the line of students was entering and caught up with them just in time.

When they were partnering, he found that Ron, as expected, had partnered with Hermione so he partnered with Neville. Harry didn’t care, especially today, after what Neville had done for him. He just hoped that their explosion wouldn’t be very big.

Other than some scathing remarks from Malfoy, everything went on normally in the Potions class. Well as normal as can be! Harry thought darkly as he watched their potion turn a bright orange color, versus the sky blue it was supposed to turn to. Harry sighed; well at least it didn’t explode. Snape came over to examine their potion and narrowed his eyes menacingly. Harry felt Neville shrink beside him, and for the first time in three years, Harry was curious to know the real reason why Snape treated Neville the way he did. Harry had to admit that Snape was definitely nasty to everybody, but what he did to Neville was really evil. He tuned off Snape’s rant concerning the potion, he thought that maybe by the end of the summer, may be, he might dare ask Snape that question, as well as the other question that had been nagging him for years, why did Snape let Malfoy get away with everything?

Harry noticed before leaving that Snape was holding his left arm with an unreadable expression on his face.

===============================================================

At lunch, Harry sat with Neville, Seamus, and Dean. His friends were totally ignoring him, which was stupid, for until a few weeks ago both Ron and Hermione were ignoring each other while Harry tried to play the peace messenger. His friends could sometimes be disgustingly childish. Harry thanked Neville heartily which only made Neville blush deep into his plate. Harry smiled, poor Neville was not used to this type of attention.

As they were finishing lunch and brown owl cam sweeping and dropped a small letter on Harry’s plate. Sirius! It must be Sirius. Harry opened the letter only o discover sadly that it was not from Sirius but from Dumbledore:

Harry,

Please come to my office as soon as you finish lunch.

Albus Dumbledore

Harry looked up to the head table and nodded to the headmaster.

Harry approached the gargoyle guarding the entrance to the headmaster’s office contemplating what the headmaster wanted to talk to him about. He had a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach; somehow he knew that this meeting was going to hold some bad news.

He sighed as he breathed the password; the gargoyle leapt aside making way for Harry to jump on the spiral staircase. As soon as he entered the office, he knew that his feeling was right. Dumbledore looked at him without his customary twinkle. He looked worried. However, after a few seconds, Dumbledore readopted his well-known cheerful behavior and invited Harry to sit down.

Harry sat in the armchair facing the headmaster’s desk and waited for him to start speaking.

“Harry, I have asked you to come here today to speak to you about the arrangements concerning your summer.”

Harry felt his throat dry. He did not know what Dumbledore was going to say but from the headmaster’s demeanor, it did not seem to be good.

Taking Harry’s silence as a cue, Dumbledore continued, “I know that you have agreed with Professor Snape on spending the summer at his house, which I admit gave me quite a surprise when I was informed about it. However Harry, some things changed since then.”

Harry had to admit that through the last few days, he got accustomed to being with Snape. He was looking forward very much for the summer. He knew the man would probably be very strict with him, but Harry didn’t care. Snape’s discipline, instead of pushing Harry away, had succeeded in attracting him more to Snape as a trusted adult that will take care of him, seeing the warmth and care that this discipline was given with. He daydreamed for hours over the last three days about the summer and created situations where he and Snape would be spending time together, doing things, flying, and even having rows. Now he knew that all this was for nothing, he was so stupid.

Dumbledore, oblivious to Harry’s thoughts, added, “You will have to go back to the Dursleys for –“

As soon as Harry heard the word ‘Dursley’, he jumped up and yelled, “Fine”

Surprised at Harry’s reaction, Dumbledore started, “What are –”

“Fine, I know. Snape doesn’t want me; he changed his mind, right?”

“Harry I believe that you have jumped to the wrong –“

“I DON’T BLOODY CARE,” Harry screamed and ran out of Dumbledore’s office ignoring the shattering noise that came from behind him.

Harry ran through the corridors not knowing where to go or what to do. He was feeling very stupid, very humiliated, very … betrayed. Why him? Why was his life always complicated? Why was it always him that no body ever cared about?

===============================================================

Ron and Hermione were just coming out of charms wondering where Harry was, not that they were going to ask him, as a blur went past them. When Ron and Hermione finally recognized the blur to be Harry running, he was out of sight. They looked all around the corridors surrounding the charms classroom but could not find him. After 15 minutes of searching without finding Harry, they were both very worried.

“Something is wrong, Ron, very wrong.”

“I don’t know Hermione, but this definitely wasn’t normal.”

Hermione stood up saying, “Let’s go see Dumbledore.”

Ron followed Hermione. He was feeling guilty, maybe if they were on speaking terms with Harry today, he might have came to them with what was bothering him instead of running like that. Why did they have to be such gits!

When they reached the gargoyle, they discovered that they were not the only ones worried. McGonagall was standing in front of the staircase talking with Snape and Dumbledore. Snape looked up to see them coming and motioned for them to haste.

McGonagall immediately said, “Mr. Weasley, Miss Granger, we were just going to send for you. I trust you know where Mr. Potter is now?”

“No Professor, we were actually coming to ask Professor Dumbledore.”

Both McGonagall and Dumbledore’s faces fell. Snape, on the other hand, turned to them slowly and as he approached them menacingly, both Ron and Hermione took an instinctive step back.

“Weasely, Granger, I hope you understand that this is important. So if you know where Potter is, there is no need for this Gryffindorish honor of covering for him, and say this instant.”

Hermione looked shocked that Snape implied they would keep this information, but Ron was very angry to think before blurting, “Well even if we know where he is, we will definitely not tell you. You probably want to find him to torture him! He must be running away from you.”

Hermione was appalled, “RON!”

Snape eyes glittered dangerously while Dumbledore looked very stern. McGonagall however had other thoughts. She immediately grabbed Ron by the ear scolding him, “Young man, that was totally unacceptable. 20 points will be taken from you and after we find Mr. Potter, we will discuss your dreadful behavior.”

“Ow owwww.” Ron rubbed his now fiery red ear, as he glared at both Snape and McGonagall. He did not need to be told twice to go to his dormitory and stay there, and ran for it making sure to keep out of McGonagall’s reach who seemed to want to grab his ear again as he ran past her.

Snape would have been very amused by that if the situation was not serious. Harry had managed to shatter all the windows in the headmaster’s office as he ran down the staircase and from what the students and the portraits reported, Harry was running around the school so fast that he was barely recognized. Albus had told them what happened and with the boy’s unsettled emotions, they did not know what he would do. Snape did not blame Harry for jumping to that conclusion, after all, only a week ago, Harry was only seeing him as a cruel bastard. But the boy should at least listen to the headmaster.

Dumbledore looked back at Hermione, “Miss Granger, could you tell me what you saw?”

Hermione told them how they saw Harry running fast by them and how searched all the place around the floor where the charms classroom was before coming to inquire what happened.

After that, it was agreed that Albus would stay in his office getting reports about the situation from the portraits while Minerva would search the grounds with Hagrid. Severus was to take Hermione and search inside the school. Surprisingly enough, it was Severus who suggested that the girl should go with him. He had a feeling that Harry was inside the school and not on the grounds. And if there are some places that Harry liked to go, then definitely the girl would know where they were.

Hermione and Snape searched together for a few minutes before Hermione suggested to go search in the Owlery. She told Snape that Harry liked to go there and talk to Hedwig, especially if he was depressed. They ran up the stairs until they reached the top. They looked around but there was no Harry in sight. Hermione sighed, it seemed that Harry was not there. As she turned to leave, she saw Harry. Harry was sitting at the end of a ledge just outside one of the windows. The ledge contained long clear notches looking like big gashes and was leaning dangerously down. Hermione watched in horror as Harry sat there staring into space oblivious to any danger.

Snape was about to leave the Owlery cursing the useless girl beside him when suddenly his breath caught in his throat and his heart clenched painfully in his chest. One move, one tiny move and Harry will become a crushed heap of bones down on the ground. Snape would not even find the time to levitate him. He looked sharply around to shut Granger up, and thankfully saw that she had already deduced that outcome, and was clasping her hands to her mouth, eyes wide in horror, trying not to breathe.

Snape moved very slowly and quietly to the window his feet barely touching the ground. He prayed Harry wouldn’t hear him, for even shifting one inch, the ledge would crumble and Harry would fall.

Snape took out his wand and whispered a Petrificus Totalus followed immediately with a Mobilicorpus without even a breath in between. Snape levitated a stunned Harry inside the Owlery and with a Finite Harry was moving again. They all looked at each other in silence for a moment, before Harry burst,

“WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME? YOU THINK I WILL BE MANIPULATED AGAIN? I AM NOT STUPID! GET AWAY FROM ME YOU …….”

Snape watched Harry’s tirade and waited in patience for him to finish. Snape was seething but was not ready to talk. The boy was definitely so stupid. He had not only jumped to an unreasonable conclusion, not that he blamed him, but he almost killed himself for the third time, the third time in one week. He didn’t exactly need the Dark Lord to do it for him. Snape closed his eyes. The boy needed someone to watch him 24 hours a day. When he opened his eyes again, Harry was still ranting but Granger was standing right in front of him. Snape watched in shock, as the girl suddenly slapped Harry viciously across his face making him stop mid rant.

Hermione screamed, “you stupid git! You almost died!”, before running out of the Owlery tears running down her cheeks.

Harry, eyes wide, and hand over his cheek, looked around to find Snape looking back at him with a pained expression on his face. Snape said quietly, “Follow me.”

Harry, still shocked walked behind Snape quietly. They reached the headmaster’s office and went inside. Snape had not uttered a word until they reached it. As soon as they were inside, Snape merely glanced at Dumbledore and left without a word.

Dumbledore was looking at him sternly. Harry shuddered, he had never seen Dumbledore looking like that before and it was scary. He waited in silence for the chiding he knew was coming. After all he shouted at the headmaster and broke his windows. He looked around to see the windows already repaired but this did not cancel the fact that he did break them.

Dumbledore however, did not yell or scold, he spoke very quietly saying, “Mr. Potter. I believe you did not give me a chance to continue my sentence last time. I would appreciate it if you are silent until I finish what I was going to say.”

“I know that you have made arrangement with Professor Snape to stay with him for the summer. I have to say I was surprised, although not at all displeased. However, something came up later to change the situation slightly, and no Mr. Potter I am not going to tell you what it is. All you need to know is that it is something concerning your safety. That is why it was decided that you will leave to the Dursleys as usual and stay there for one week. Only one week Mr. Potter, and Professor Snape will come and take you from there himself. I was also going to suggest that you only take with you the things that you will use for that week and leave the rest of your things here where they will be delivered to Professor Snape’s house.”

Harry was listening to all that in bewilderment. He was wrong, nothing changed, he was still going to spend the summer with Snape and will only go to the Dursleys for a week. He jumped to a wrong conclusion. Harry was disgusted with himself. He was ready to think badly of his professor even though it was not true. As he opened his mouth to say something, Dumbledore raised his hand to stop him as he continued,

“I believe Mr. Potter that it would be much wiser if you give yourself time to think before acting in the future. You did not give yourself time even to listen before reaching a wrong result and acting upon it causing distress to a lot of people, yourself included. Please think about what happened and what you have done. Good day Mr. Potter!”

Harry knew that the meeting was over and that Dumbledore was not going to accept any apology from him now. He walked resignedly out of the office, his shoulder slumped and his legs week. He had never seen Dumbledore act that way towards him before. It seemed he had really messed up this time. And most probably Snape did not want to see him again. He felt a sense of guilt overwhelming him. Until this morning he was dreaming of Snape protecting him from everything, but only a few hours later, he was ready to think the worst of the man.

He wanted to see Snape and apologize. He walked right to the dungeons only to find Snape in the corridor in front of his classroom, holding his left arm and deep in thought. Snape looked up to see Harry coming; he simply turned around and walked to his class. Harry followed, “Sir, please, I want to, ..”

Harry was cut off when Snape walked to his office, without sparing him even a glance and closed the door. Harry knocked at the door more than once but no answer came from inside. Harry miserably left. He did not want to go to dinner and face his friends so he walked in the grounds until his detention. Yes, that was a good idea. Snape cannot ignore him in detention. He will have to listen. Harry was really sorry and wanted to apologize even if Snape did not want him anymore.

The seconds went by slowly. Harry waited patiently until it was time. He went to Snape’s office and knocked the door. As soon as he did, a parchment appeared out of thin air. No. Harry almost knew what was in that parchment as he opened it. There was only one line in there, a very cold one saying:

You will serve detention with Filch.

No No. I want to talk to you. Harry knocked at the door again, then again for along time but he got no answer. Desperately, he opened the door and went inside. He found Snape sitting at his desk correcting essays. He did not even look up.

“Sir”

No answer.

“Sir,”

Still no answer.

“Professor, I am sorry, please ..” Please say anything.

Snape determinately continued marking the essays without even acknowledging Harry’s presence. Snape put away the essay he was marking and started on another one, all the time feeling Harry’s eyes on him and almost smelling his distress. No. He would not budge! The boy needed to be punished properly for what he had done.

Harry bent his head down and walked away, his eyes burning. He opened the door, and

“Harry!”

He turned around to his potions master hopefully, looking at him pleadingly. Snape studied Harry for a moment before saying, “After your detention, come and see me!”

Harry nodded, not trusting himself to speak and ran off to his detention with Filch. Snape had talked to him and called him Harry. He was not angry anymore, at least not as mush as he was a few hours ago. Harry would go meet him after detention, and explain. Snape would have to believe him, he really didn’t mean it, and he just jumped to that conclusion and didn’t know why.

Later, when Harry finished his detention, he ran to Snape’s office. As soon as he was admitted inside, he blurted, “Sir, I am so sorry. I do not know why I did it. I am sorry. I promise I will never think badly of you again. It was just that I was so shocked when Dumbledore talked about the Dursleys and I just thought .. you know. But it is alright now, I know I was wrong, and I am really sorry …When you ignored me I couldn’t bear it and …”

Snape watched Harry rambling before it clicked in his mind. Snape cleared his throat, “Mr. Potter do you mean to tell me that you thought I ignored you because you jumped to a wrong conclusion about my intentions?”

Harry whispered feeling ashamed, “Yes Sir.”

“I see.” Snape crossed his arms and approached Harry menacingly, “and this is all?”

“Umm, Yes?” What else?

“Nothing? You did nothing else?”

Harry felt his neck sweat and his face grow hot as he whispered, “I .. uh .. also shouted at you and er .. at Dumbledore as well”

Snape looked a Harry wildly before yelling, “YOU BLODDY MENACE! DIDN’T YOU EVEN THINK FOR ONE SECOND ABOUT YOUR NEAR DEATH TODAY?”

Harry stepped back and shrank at the yelling, stuttering, “death? I .. didn’t, how?” Was it because he was out on the ledge in the Owlery, he wasn’t going to fall if that was Snape’s concern. And that was what Hermione said before she .. er .. was angry with him. Whatever the reason, Harry started to feel a very warm sensation in his chest. Snape was not ignoring him not because he hated him! He was ignoring him as a form of punishment; Snape was punishing him because he thought he risked his life again. Harry wanted to grin but didn’t dare.

Snape rubbed his temples tiredly. No – No way in the nine hells that there is anyone so stupid!!

Snape glowered at Harry before forcing himself to calm down and speak in very clear tones, “And I assume Potter that you only thought I stunned you and levitated you out of cruelty?”

Harry didn’t answer. He actually did think that. Snape was pacing quickly and that was definitely not a good sign. Harry felt a knot forming in his stomach. No more spanking, please, please, or … no you can spank me if it means that you are not angry!!!

Harry kept following Snape going to and fro with his head until finally Snape seemed to calm himself down. “Harry, did you even look at the ledge you were standing on? Did you give yourself one second of thought that maybe it was not that strong to hold you?”

Well, put that way, he actually didn’t. It looked fine to him anyway, not that he was in any mood to evaluate it, but still he didn’t see anything wrong there or he would have noticed. Right? I am not that dense. Looking at Snape’s face, he thought, Umm – well maybe I am that dense!

Harry knew perfectly well that if he gave Snape that answer, most probably he would be killed, so he didn’t give any answer. Stupid idea! Snape was livid.

“Exactly as expected, brainless, dimwitted, stupid Gryffindor!”

Er .. well that was colorful.

Snape’s voice came again dripping with painful sarcasm, “That ledge Potter, the one that you so kindly graced it with your presence over it for hours today, could not bear that blessing, it crumpled five minutes after we left the Owlery!”

Harry paled as Snape continued, “it was very clear, and you never thought to look.”

Harry looked down. Yeah his mood at the time definitely blinded him. He looked up to see Snape’s face full of concern and he felt very secure as Snape approached him and put his hands on his shoulders, “You are alright now Harry. That’s what is important.” Harry leaned closer to his teacher and felt Snape’s arms wrapping him as he rested his head on the man’s chest.

Harry spoke after a few moments, his voice muffled in his teacher’s robes, “Are you still angry with me?”

Snape’s lips twitched. No one has ever asked him that question before, well except one other person, and he had to admit, this question meant a lot to him, it meant someone cared about his feelings. He whispered, “Don’t think about it Harry. It is over now.”

Harry finally pulled himself away, and looked at his teacher’s eyes gratefully, “Thank you.”

Snape cleared his throat as he collected himself, “yes well. You should go now Potter. I believe your friends are waiting for you.” At Harry’s horrified expression, Snape smirked. Yes, serves you right brat. “I believe Miss Granger might even like another … word with you.”

Harry blushed and ran out. Snape shook his head before while rubbing his arm, whispering, “You don’t even have any idea how much danger you are in, child.”

===============================================================

Later in the headmaster’s office, Severus was pacing in front of the fire.

“I don’t know Albus, I don’t know. I have never taken care of anyone before and a young teenager at that too. I don’t know how to act. When I saw the boy today … I don’t know, my heart almost stopped.”

“Severus, my boy,” Albus went to Severus and gently pulled him to a sofa, where he sat beside him, “children do not come with catalogues. Follow your heart Severus. And from what I have seen so far, I know that no one else can do it better than you. And yes Severus, you have cared for people before, you care about me, Minerva, and Hagrid and will do anything for us. And you care about all the staff, and the whole wizarding world at that. You have done things Severus that no one else could do without waiting for thanks or acknowledgement. As for teens, well, besides Mr. Potter, I know very well that you have been taking care of a Mr. Draco Malfoy since he was a small boy.”

Severus snorted. “Yeah, and that is why he is an insufferable arrogant brat.”

Albus smiled, “well Mr. Malfoy’s circumstances are different, you know that, and I think, if we put his act aside, that he is actually a very sweet boy.”

Severus looked at Albus disbelievingly. The way Draco acted couldn’t make anyone say that he was a sweet boy, how the hell did Albus know everything?

That was not really what was bothering him. He looked down and studied his hands for some time, before looking up at his mentor again, “Albus, I am scared!”

Albus put his hands around Severus’ shoulders. Oh Albus, you have not done that since the night I came back to you. God I need it. Severus leaned his head against Albus shoulder closing his eyes. He felt Albus patting his shoulder gently, “I know child, I know you are scared. I am scared too. I hope to God that it wouldn’t be Voldemort coming back again. We do not need another war.” Severus leaned closer to his father and was grateful for the arm that tightened around him as he continued, “And I hope he doesn’t for your sake more than anything else, my child.” Severus sighed, no longer feeling scared. He could do anything if Albus was there for him, he would do anything that Albus wants him to do, whatever it is, and he would gladly die for the old man, all he wanted in return was to be able to look at the headmaster’s eyes and see pride in there, and put his head on the headmaster’s shoulder and close his eyes.

They sat in that comfortable position in silence before:

“Headmaster?”

“Hmmm?”

“Your beard tickles!!”

To be continued...
End Notes:

Here we are again dear readers.

Before answering your questions, I would really really really like to thank you all so much. The feedback that I got from you was totally great and each and every review made me beam for hours until my mouth hurt! My Dad watched me read your reviews once and thought I was crazy. Ahem … well, my Dad actually has 200 hundred other reasons that prove it anyway!

Now for your questions, my dear readers:

• How I got the idea of incorporating corporal punishment in the story, well I do not know, it just came. You see I love spanking stories (but hate the silly ones) and I love Harry Potter, and poof there it was for me to enjoy writing and you to hopefully enjoy reading.

• Snape seems out of character, well yes, definitely. I mean come on, the whole idea of adopting Harry, or even speaking civilly to him might give the real JKR Snape a heart attack :)) To answer you seriously, yes I know that both Harry and Snape are OOC as well as a lot of others too but I like them that way. I mean they are my characters now and they have to do what I want them to do or I promise I will make them do things so stupid that all readers will laugh at them…. There, I hope this scares them into doing what I want, a writer should be stern with her story characters after all!!!!!

• Oh by the way, I completely and totally adore my McGonagall. She came out better than expected. She actually keeps pushing me to make her brilliant. And also I simply LOVE Maggie Smith, and she keeps popping in my mind while writing.

• Yes, the first scene over which the whole story was built was not Canon – it was Manon, meaning it was a movie scene not a book scene. What happened is that I was watching the DVD of POA for the umpteenth time, erm .. well my 10 years old niece forced me .. honest!, anyway, as I was saying, I was watching the movie and the scene where Snape was standing between the children and the werewolf is what triggered my muse!

• The length of my story? Well I do not know. It will depend upon whether I will make it a story and sequels or just one long story. We’ll see.

• Again, no my dear readers, no slash in this story, sorry. And also for those who were asking, I do not think there will be any spanking for Hermione too. I do not see a need for that and as promised the spanking scenes will not be enforced into the story.

• How frequent is my update? Well I do not know, it totally depends on my work and my studies, my niece and nephew presence in the house and their activities, and my field trips. I am actually doing a lot of things at the same time, and believe me writing in between all of this is a most enjoyable experience. I think that I will update twice a week if I can. The chapters are getting longer so they take more time. And concerning how many chapters I have ready, I only post a chapter when two others are ready, and three outlined. Meaning I have 11 and 12 ready, and I know exactly what the scenes of 13 – 15 will be. And NO I am not telling!

• Lastly, I would like to give my special thanks to dear Ms. Snapiet04 – Snapiet04 has sent me a very nasty email. She did not put it in a review but sent me a direct email. I do not know if it was considered a flame because I never saw one, but if the flame is an email/review that was written by a flamed tempered reviewer for the sole purpose of setting the reviewed person’s temper in flames, well may be it was. But dear Snapiet04, I am sorry to say that you have failed miserably in your mission. Your email only made me discover how interested you were in my story, after all you have commented (most meanly I must add) in a very long email on most of the scenes of my first eight chapters in a way that only a person who read all of the chapters at least twice can do. I am also writing my answer here because I am pretty sure that you will be reading this chapter and my AN comments. Oh yes, I almost forgot, thank you for commenting on my last AN comments in chapter 5 too. LOL!!!

• Oh, yes an before I forget, my other one-shot story Finally is not an Epilogue to The Painful Guardianship. Or to be more honest, it is not what I had in mind when writing it, it was just a silly little thing that popped in my mind and made me type it and share it.

Thanks all, take care. Meet you in Chapter 15! Keep R&R,

Dina



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=925