The Painful Guardianship by Dina
Summary: AU - Finally Snape and Harry get to the “bottom” of things. A Snape adopts Harry Fic. The story starts by the end of POA and takes over from there. Contains spoilers to GOF and Ootp. The series involve spanking of children/teens. If you are not comfortable with this theme. Please do not read.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Deaging, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 31 Completed: No Word count: 152441 Read: 196552 Published: 15 Jul 2005 Updated: 23 Nov 2008
Chapter 21 - Dane Robinson by Dina
Author's Notes:
I hope you have all had a Happy Valentine with your beloveds. I really wanted to post this on the14th of February as a Valentine for all of you but my RL prevented me. Enjoy!

I was so flattered to discover that I received about 92 reviews on the last chapter, about 60 of which on the FF.Net. I love you all and please please keep reviewing. I love to hear what you have to say about my story.

Thankfully, Hedwig had returned after breakfast on the second day in Snape’s house, and after scoffing a little at Harry, he was able to bribe her affection back by frying some bacon especially for her. After eating her full from his hand, she was ready to start delivering his letters again.

He sent his letter to Hermione first which she answered immediately and sent back the reply with Hedwig.

Harry,

I am glad that you’re happy with Professor Snape. I really think I owe him a big apology. He seems to take good care of you and he cares about you so much. I wouldn’t have believed it had I not seen it myself. And I am still waiting for the details, Harry, you can’t trick out me of those, you know.

I hope you didn’t get into a lot of trouble for that stupid prank you pulled, not that you don’t deserve it mind you. But I am at least sure now that you’re still alive and that Professor Snape hadn’t done something … permanent to you.

I’d love to be able to meet with you Harry. You know this will be the first summer ever to do that. But unfortunately that won’t be possible for the next two weeks at least. I am going to Spain with my parents on a surprise trip that Dad had organized for us to celebrate mum and dad’s 15th anniversary. Can our meeting wait until then? We’re leaving after tomorrow and tomorrow will be busy with packing and preparation. I’m sorry.

As for the prat, umm sorry, Ronald, well try telling him the truth? He might think that Snape is most probably holding you at wand point while you write your letter, but he’ll come around eventually.

Take care, and try not to get into too much trouble. It is true that Professor Snape might care for you, but I am not sure he’ll be able not to turn you into a toad for the rest of the summer!

Hermione

Ps. Where is Snape’s house? Is it somewhere near London?

……………………..

Harry had finally decided how to approach Ron.

Hey Ron,
How are you doing mate? I bet you’re playing Quidditch with Gred and Forge and Ginny all the time, huh?

I am now at Snape’s house, and I am telling you, it’s pure torture here! He doesn’t have a quidditch pitch! Imagine that. He also insists that I have three full meals and a proper tea even if I am not hungry. Oh and the outings are all terrible, do you believe that he insists I come back home before it gets dark every single day, for my safety he says.

And really, as if his unimaginably big libraries were not enough, he went and enrolled me in a in a nearby library where there are lot of cool activities for teenagers that would keep me out of his hair as he put it for a few hours every week .
But really, I shouldn’t be that ungrateful. There is still some good things here at least. Did you know that he has a telephone, a muggle telephone, and I could call Hermione if I want to. But unfortunately Hermione is going to Spain and won’t be back for the next two weeks.

Harry
Ps. I have asked Professor Snape if I could see you and Hermione and he said that we could visit together anytime we want!

…………………………..

Harry,

Thank goodness you’re alive mate. I was afraid that Snape would have already killed you. How are you doing? Hang on there Harry. We will get you away from that greasy git as soon as we can. Dad is trying to get us tickets for the Quidditch World Cup and Mom will speak with Dumbledore to take you away from him as soon as possible.
At least Harry he makes sure you eat and didn’t starve you like the Dursleys. And about the library, bugger that. Who does he think you, Hermione or something? Oh yeah and Hermione sent me about her trip to Spain. It would have been good if we could all get together. But I think we’ll have to wait for two weeks as well. Um .. you see .. I kind of got grounded and Mum wouldn’t budge, sorry. She didn’t even move a muscle when I told her that Snape was sure going to kill you.

Sorry mate, seems you’re stuck with that git until we could get you out. At least you can go out every day. Send me as mush as you can Harry.

Ron

Ps. Does he really treat you ok?

……………….

Ron,

I don’t knowif he treats me ok. I mean really, Snape makes me do homework – which is bad of course – but come on, I can do anything I want and I quote ‘You can do anything you want as long as it is not dangerous’. He makes sure I eat enough, and he lets me go out every day if I want. He makes sure there is always chocolate ice cream at home because I love it. He even makes sure I have enough money with me and he lets me read his books. So do you call that treating me well?
Umm look, I know you might go berserk about this, but actually … you see … I think I am very happy with Professor Snape!

Harry
There, he had said it and Ron was going to hit the roof any time now! To be honest, Harry had a very hard time not to tell Ron about what Snape did with the Dursleys, how Snape holds and comforts him, and about his nightly visits to his room. It would take a lot of time to make Ron understand.

………………………………..

Hermione,
That’s OK. Have fun in Spain. You deserve it and please tell your Mum and Dad ‘Happy Anniversary’ for me, will you.

Yeah it can wait till you come back and ok don’t worry, I will try hard not to make Snape turn me into a toad, but I am not sure about a slug though, he might think it better! Evil bat! You won’t believe it Hermione, he made me chop 3 kilograms of onions for the Dursleys because of that prank. Complete over reaction if you ask me.
Umm well, he did give me ointment that reduced the swelling of my eyes after I finished, but still … I don’t believe him … humph!

I know it might be too early Hermione, but I think this might be the best summer that I ever had, apart from the slugs issue and some threats of torn limbs, that is.

Take care Mione, and when you come back, we will even be able to use the phone. Yep, Snape has a telephone, a muggle telephone, and I can call you every day. Actually the whole house is muggle, except for the libraries and the lab. He even has a TV. Oh, and yes, I asked Snape. We are actually in London, in a quiet neighbourhood in northern London, so it makes visiting easier.
So bye for now. Enjoy your trip.

Harry

………………………….

Dear Harry,

How is everything going on with you? Most probably you are at Severus’ house by now? How is it going? Even I am sure that he is much better than those relatives of yours, and there is no love lost between us, believe me. Just keep a cool head and don’t let his harsh façade fool you, he is a good person Harry. Nasty, well yes, but he is a good person nonetheless. Just don’t provoke him or you’ll end as part of an important potion.

Send me a word when you have time and keep out of trouble.
Your friend, Remus

Ps. Oh and Harry, whatever you do, DON’T tell our friend about this arrangement with Snape. And generally I wouldn’t recommend you try to contact the stupid dog until he sets his affairs straight. I don’t believe he actually sent us both letters before he was sure of his safety and I have given him a piece of my mind about it.
………………………………

Harry,

Right! So by some type of miracle Snape is acting a bit human. You’ll be out of there soon anyway. I mean I am glad that you’re not really having a hard summer like you used to with the Dursleys and everything, but still, Snape?

Umm, Harry, just to make sure that you are actually Harry and was writing the letter of your own free will, can you tell me how my wand got broken back in the second year? Only you and Hermione know that.

Take care Harry, ok?
Ron

……………………………….

Ron,
Ha Ha! Yes I am Harry James Potter, I was living with the Dursleys, I never knew about magic until Hagrid for me at the Dursleys, I am staying in Professor Snape’s house of my own free will, and you have broken your wand when the Ford Angelina that we flew to Hogwarts by crashed into the Whomping Willow. And Ron, you’re a Prat!

Thanks for the Chudley Channons cards by the way.

Harry
…………………………

And on and on it went. Hedwig was excited with the flurry of mail activity that Harry suddenly started to have for the first time in her memory. Harry and Ron were sending and receiving daily letters. Remus and Harry exchanged a couple more of letters. He even sent Flourish and Bolts to enquire about a few books.

……………………

Snape was sitting in the local library totally engrossed in reading some books on mental health. He knew he needed to start searching in more comprehensive libraries again like he did each summer. Every time the new informational materials produced in the few school months were massive, but still he couldn’t find anything of use. Snape rubbed his temples tiredly, there never seemed to be any hope. Yes, she was dead, but others were still alive, and with the cursed mark on his arm starting to itch and sting (an issue that greatly disturbed him), he knew that he should find some cure soon, or at least something that would make the situation for the victims better.

Snape was startled out of his musings by a hand on his shoulder and looked up to see Harry’s concerned face, “Are you alright, Sir?”. Snape had the urge to grin, ahem, not very good for his reputation though, so he didn’t. The boy seemed to really care about him and since the incident in the study at home two weeks ago, he was acting more like … Molly Weasley with her children. There he had done it now! Severus Snape grinned! Poor Harry almost choked at the sight.

“Sit down Potter before you have a heart attack, will you?” Snape whispered.

Harry sat looking at his teacher in bewilderment. He didn’t look alright at all when he first saw him and now, he was grinning? Harry shook his head, “I’m glad you’re alright, Sir.”

“Yes, I’m fine, Harry. Thank you for your concern.”

Snape looked through the books and periodicals he was holding and put aside the ones he needed to borrow or photocopy.

“Can I help you, Sir?”

Snape raised an eyebrow, “I am starting to worry about your state of mind lately Potter. You offer to help too much, you do your homework, you work on potions, and God help us, you even read voluntarily!”

Harry sneered. “Well, sorry then Sir for offering to help you. My fault”, he retorted raising an eyebrow of his own. Snape glared at the boy for sometime before standing up and collecting the books he wanted, and shaking his head, he stated, “You spend entirely too much time with me Potter. I am sure Minerva won’t be happy by the end of the summer!”

Harry grinned, “You started it. I’ll tell Professor McGonagall it’s not my fault!”

“Humph! Come brat. We’ll have tea somewhere before going home.”

Harry was only too happy to precede Snape to the librarian. It had been a few days since they went out together. Harry thought that they would walk or do some shopping when Snape told him he was coming, but was disappointed when again Snape left him at the park and went to the library. He now thought of coming to the library where Snape had enrolled him earlier and see what activities were available there. He discovered there was a story-writing competition and put his name there although he didn’t know why. He had never written a story in his life. Harry shrugged and went to find Snape. Whatever intrigued the potions master about mental health was beyond him. Maybe he could ask him about it later.

“Oh! It’s you, hello Harry!”

Harry turned around to see a familiar face, with brown hair and grey eyes, wearing the library badge and grinning at him. Harry smiled, “Hello Sir. How are you?”

“I’m fine. So what are you doing here? I thought your activities were always related to playing on the swings.” The man teased making Harry turn red and Snape, who was watching them silently, smirk. He was just handed a couple of hours at least of mocking the boy about it.

Harry changed the subject, “How is little Maria?”

“She’s fine. Still so pretty and spoilt! Still loves pink and lilies too.”

Ahah, so that was the man Harry told him about the first day he went for a walk. Snape hadn’t known that he was the same helpful librarian that tried to make all his needs available whenever he came to the library. Snape smiled, it seemed that Harry had left quite an impression on the people in the neighbourhood. Whenever they walked together, he found people smiling at them and waving. He was included in the greetings just because he was walking with the boy. Snape noted wryly that fame seemed to follow the boy even here, in his own neighbourhood.

Snape left them to their conversation, hearing Dane, which was the librarian’s name, complaining about not finding a good babysitter for his daughter when he was at work. Snape moved towards the computer room. He was rather fascinated by it but never had the chance to learn it, and on his part, there wasn’t really a need for it, but it just occurred to him that there must be a lot of information on the internet. Most of the new periodicals he read contained something called website and email. Shouldn’t something called a World Wide Web contain a lot of information? But how could he use that thing? He had used a typewriter before a few times, ages ago, so he basically knew how to deal with the letters board but nothing more. May be Harry knew how to use it? That was mostly unlikely. Where would the boy learn it? Most probably it wasn’t yet used widely when Harry was at the muggle school and definitely the Dursleys wouldn’t have taught him.

“Professor?”

Snape smiled slightly, “Finished giving the man tips on raising children?”

Harry scowled, “Hey I was just being helpful!”

“Really? Well maybe you would be helpful again now and tell me, do you know how to use a computer?”

Harry was surprised, but then he shouldn’t have been. He had seen Snape use all the muggle equipment in the last two weeks including TV and telephone. “No, Sir. I can’t.”

Snape nodded. He had expected as much. He put his hand around Harry’s shoulders and pushed him lightly. “Alright come, let’s check out those books.”

They again went to Dane who was standing at the counter checking some book spines. Dane’s eyes widened at seeing them together, the polite and studious Mr. Snape, as he knew him, putting his arm around the sweet boy’s shoulder, “Oh! Mr. Snape, Harry.” The man laughed. “I should have known you’re Harry’s Dad. You’re both just as nice!”

Both Harry and Snape sputtered. Harry’s Dad? Dammit!
Snape nice? Wait, my … Dad?

Harry’s heart raced quickly, so quickly that it was almost painful. Harry, calm down, cool it! It was just a mistake. It shouldn’t have that effect on you.

Snape cleared his throat, “Actually -”

But Dane didn’t let him finish, “You have a very fine son Mr. Snape, I am sure you’re proud of him. Very kind and helpful and I have never seen a more well behaved kid his age.”

Harry blushed. He didn’t know what to say. He didn’t know what Snape would do. He knew Snape had to correct the man, had to stick with their prepared scenario but Harry almost hoped he wouldn’t. This was crazy and he knew it, but he couldn’t help wishing for it.

Severus was at loss. He had intended to correct the man’s obvious error. They had to stick to the story they agreed upon. Why did he feel so reluctant to do so? And Damn, why did he feel his chest bursting with pride at Dane’s words? He found himself answering.

“I know. And I am proud of him.”

That was all what Harry needed. He walked quickly away, the bathroom was just in front of him, he almost ran to it, hearing Snape explaining his flee to the librarian, “He’s quite a shy boy and gets embarrassed when ….”

Harry ran to one of the cells, closed the door, and sank on a closed toilet seat. He should get his breathing under control, he really should. Harry’s tears were flowing freely on is cheeks, not that he ever noticed.

I should have known you’re Harry’s Dad. Harry’s Dad, Harry’s Dad, Harrysdad, HarrysdadHarrysdadHarrysdad.

And Snape didn’t correct him. He didn’t and he said ‘I am proud of him’. Snape was proud of him. Never, ever, in his whole life had anyone said that about him. No one said they were proud of him. Even Dumbledore when he got rid of the stone, or when he killed the basilisk, he didn’t say that. ‘I am proud of him.’ Harry sobbed. God, did he really mean it?

Someone knocked softly at his door followed by Snape’s voice, “Harry?” “Harry? Come out. Please.”

Harry couldn’t answer, he couldn’t find his voice. He was finally able to open the door and immediately found himself held by Snape’s strong arms. He buried his face in the man’s chest cherishing the sound of every heart-beat he heard. Snape talked to him softly, “Hush Harry. Come now, wash your face and let’s go.”

Harry nodded and reluctantly let go of Snape. He was lead to a sink where he washed his face and eyes. Finally composing himself enough, he looked at Snape and whispered, “Are you … really … proud of me?”

Snape cupped Harry’s cheek in his hand making Harry close his eyes as he did every time, “I am Harry. Very.”

“B-but why?”

“Why am I proud of you? Because you have a big heart. Because with everything that happened to you, you are still capable of love and sympathy. Because you managed not to become envious, angry and bitter. Because you have been able to adjust to a new world that you knew nothing about and survived things that no adult trained wizard could. Because …because you have forgiven me.”

Harry’s eyes filled with tears again as Snape held him. After a few moments, he pushed him away gently. “Come let’s go!”

“Sir, thank-”
Snape raised an eyebrow, “Sir? What happened to Dad? Now we’re stuck with that you know!” And James Potter was most probably rolling in his grave right that minute!

Snape then glared at the boy, “And I swear, Harry, if you don’t stop crying this instant, I will give you a very good and painful reason to shed big tears!”

Harry snorted through his tears, “Perfect Dad! Threatening your poor well behaved son.”

Snape laughed, “Brat! There will be no cure for that.” He then raised Harry’s chin and wiped his tears with his thumbs, “I don’t think that we should be spending all our time in a bathroom, Harry. I am thankful that no one needed to go for the last quarter hour.”

Harry smiled and took Snape’s, no, his Dad’s hand, and left. It might have been a mistake, a coincidence, and Harry knew that most probably when at home, Snape would become Professor again, but as long as they were out, he was Dad and Harry intended to make the most of it.

As they left the library, Dane was busy somewhere. Harry was thankful. He really didn’t want to meet him again now, not with his red eyes. Dane didn’t know how much Harry owed him for what happened.

……………………

They sat in a small cosy café in the middle of the shopping area. The weather was perfect as if reflecting their emotions. Both were consumed in their own thoughts, but whatever their fears and concerns, nothing was able to dampen their bright moods.

Harry thought about his real Dad, James Potter, would he be angry with him? No he wouldn’t. Harry was sure that he wouldn’t. He would want him to be happy.

Snape thought of Dumbledore and what he would say. He had thrown caution to the wind for the third time in the past few weeks. Dumbledore wouldn’t be happy.

Snape watched Harry who was sitting backwards on a chair, his chin rested on his arms that were on the back of the chair, watching people coming and going and every now and then nodding or smiling at someone. He seemed content with the whole world. Snape felt an unexplainable rush of affection towards the child. Whatever the consequences of what he had done, it was well worth it. He wanted that boy in his life and that boy, strangely enough, wanted him in his life.

Harry looked up and saw Snape watching him, and he smiled. Prominent green eyes dancing, face lit up, teeth showing, Harry looked like a 4 years old who’s just walked into a chocolate factory. His smile was contagious. Snape soon found himself smiling, then chuckling, laughing and then roaring aloud. It went on for a quite some time until people turned and stared with amused grins of their own. Something good had finally happened in Severus Snape’s life. Snape didn’t remember the last time when he was able to laugh from the depth of his heart. Harry laughed along with his new Dad. He had no idea why he was laughing and he didn’t care in the least.

After finally calming down enough to order snacks, a coffee for himself and hot chocolate for the boy, he finally turned to look seriously at Harry.

“Harry, have you considered baby-sitting?”

Harry’s stared at Snape. Huh? Baby-sitting? Him? Like the other older kids in Privet Drive used to do?

“But … Umm I don’t know anything about children-” Harry stopped short at the familiar eyebrow rising and blushed. “I mean I have never done that before, and umm I don’t know how to.”

Snape shook his head. “You don’t know how to? Humph! Boy, you’re natural. You don’t see yourself with the children in the park. I assure you, that ALL parents who had seen you dealing with their children would easily trust you to baby-sit them. You love children, Harry and you’re so good with them.”

Harry considered it.. He did love children. And he had to admit that he enjoyed the time he spent with them more than anything else in his life. It was like he was reliving his stolen childhood with them. But baby-sitting was a big responsibility. Can he be really responsible for the safety of a child? All alone? That was scary.

“Umm … but how can I do that? I mean how do I know if someone needs a baby-sitter? And how do you know that they would agree?”

Snape rolled his eyes. “Really Harry, sometimes, you have the intelligence of a flobberworm!”

Harry scowled, “Well I am sorry I didn’t do it before, and it was your idea anyway and you should answer my questions, Dad. No need to get insulting!”

Even as Harry said it sarcastically, it felt like his heart had wings and was fluttering gaily in his chest. Snape’s lips twitched, “You happened to be the one talking to Dane Robinson about his problems with the baby-sitters, not me, Harry, and believe me from what I heard from the conversation, the man was almost expecting you to offer your assistance immediately. I am sure he was disappointed that you didn’t.”

Harry’s eyes widened, “Really?”

Snape seriously answered, “Really!”

He knew that Harry was thinking about it. And it was a very good chance for the boy to start acting like other kids his age again. Maybe a little responsibility would do the trick. Harry loved children, that was much obvious and he was good with them, he would play with them, he would still have fun and relive his childhood, and would know how to deal with any issues that happen. This way, Harry would start acting his real age without loosing the chance to be with children. And Harry would also start to earn his own money, money that he worked hard for, that should count to something as well.

…………………..

Two hours later, Severus Snape was holding his temples, groaning, and struggling against the urge to hit his head on his desk repeatedly. Since they came back from the café, Harry had suddenly gone wild. He ran up and down the house crashing in doors and walls, dropping things, breaking cups, and doing the worst racket possible. Every time Snape thought that the house was being pulled down or there was an elephant herd attack only to discover that it was just Harry doing something or another. Each single time, Snape prepared himself to berate the silly boy mercilessly but stopped himself at the sight of Harry not being able to stand still, shifting from foot to foot, face flushed with excitement, and barely able to hold back his wide grin. Snape finally took refuge in his study and shut the door firmly behind him trying to shut out all the sounds of whatever Harry was doing …. Oh GOD! Was the boy singing? Loudly? And totally off tune now? Snape couldn’t hold himself longer and leaned forward hitting his head on his desk with a thud!

……………..

Snape was worried, he didn’t hear a sound for sometime. What? Had the boy finally succeeded to kill himself in his excitement? Snape hesitantly left his study and went out to search for the child, his child. The thought made Snape’s heart flutter. He had pushed the whole issue off his thoughts for the last few hours, not daring to think about what happened. He knew perfectly well that if he thought about it logically, he would only discover the extent of his stupidity. And he refused it. He refused to think about it.

When he reached the kitchen, Snape stared. The kitchen was almost upside down, every pan and pot was out and the stove was working full power. A big assortment of dishes was spread on the table and the boy, was standing at the sink washing some plates. “Harry!!”

Harry jumped and looked around sheepishly at his Dad. He still didn’t know if this applies to home as well as outside, but he still felt the need to say it. “Uh, hi Dad!”

Harry’s heart raced. He’s going to yell at me. He’ll laugh at me. He’ll tell me not to call him Dad. He’ll tell me I am stupid. Harry braced himself.

“What exactly are you doing?”

He didn’t! He didn’t and Harry wanted to kiss him for it as he smiled brightly, “Just dinner, Dad”

“For whom?”

“For us.”

Snape looked around the kitchen once more and shook his head, “That’s enough dinner 10 persons, Harry.”

Harry, suddenly realizing what he was doing, looked around and was horrified at the amount of food he prepared. He blushed furiously and muttered, “Umm … I was just feeling hungry!”

Snape stared at Harry then snorted. “Come here, Harry.”

Harry groaned, ah … his poor ears, how much could they take? He walked slowly to Snape until he stood in front of him. As soon as Snape moved his arms, Harry put his hands on his ears trying to protect them making Snape laugh loudly.

“I wasn’t going to pull your ears brat.” Snape enveloped Harry in his arms and held him tight. Harry laid his head on Snape’s chest and closed his eyes. He was so tired.

………………………..

The next two days saw Harry spending every moment possible with Snape. Preparing food was not an issue, considering the amount of food Harry had prepared earlier. Harry spent his time talking with Snape about anything and everything he could think of, always inserting a Dad between every Dad and Dad. Snape was so amused that he bore that inane chattering without complaint. Not that he was ever going to admit that he enjoyed being called Dad about once every second.

On the second day, the telephone rang in Snape’s house which was a very rare occurrence. Harry had only seen the telephone used a few times and Snape was usually the one making the call. Dane Robinson was asking if he, and his little princess as he called her, could come over for a chat with them.

And sure enough, some time later, they were all drinking tea and chatting pleasantly in the living room. Harry was delighted when Dane asked Harry if he was interested in baby-sitting Maria Lilly three times a week for a few hours until her Mum comes back from her long trip in two weeks time. Maria, at the time of the offer, was sitting in Harry’s lap being fed a chocolate biscuit and getting spoilt to her heart’s content. It didn’t take a lot of time to work out the details. Snape only laid back and watched. Harry seemed to have some type of bond with the little girl. He held her as if she was the most precious thing he had ever set his eyes upon and Snape wondered if Harry would treat his own children like that … Whoa, where did That come from?

Snape was pulled out of his musings by the horrified expression on the boy’s face as he listened to the last thing Dane was saying. A couple of seconds later, Snape’s laughter was ringing around the house, to Harry’s utter mortification. Harry, changing nappies, was one sight that Snape would make sure to watch.

Harry snapped, “Stop it! You’ll help me in that, you know!”

Snape raised an eyebrow, “Help you? You don’t really understand, boy, do you? No one is going to help you in that.”

“But it was your idea!”

“And it will be your responsibility.”

“Stop smirking, will you. And don’t raise that eyebrow-”

Dane found it suitable to stop the banter at that, “Hey, alright, alright, I get the point. You’ve never changed a nappy before and your father is highly amused that you’ll have to do it.”

Harry was still glaring at Snape when Dane added mischievously, “But Mr. Snape, I am sure Harry can do with your advice. After all I am sure you used to change his nappies before.”

It was the second time that both Harry and Snape sputtered at something Dane Robinson had said.

……………………………..

The next day Dane came a little bit after lunch and left little Maria Lilly with Harry, who immediately took her and disappeared in the living room. Snape disappeared in his study for sometime until Harry knocked at his door later carrying the Maria and informing him that he’ll take her to the park to play on the swings.

To Snape’s consternation, Harry sat the little girl on a chair and left her alone with him to go and change his shoes. Snape gritted his teeth and took a few calming breaths. His suggestion for Harry to baby-sit definitely hadn’t included him. And that little …thing with huge hazel eyes had the audacity to climb down from her chair and start toddling towards him.

Snape almost panicked. What in Merlin’s name was he supposed to do now? And should any decent person have such huge eyes?

Maria tugged Snape’s sleeve. He raised an eyebrow, “Yes?”

The little girl pointed at her pink shoes and with a very serious tone she declared, “New!”

“Er …!” For the first time in his life, Snape couldn’t find any words to say. What exactly was he supposed to say to that anyway?

Oh no, no, NO, that was NOT happening to him!

The girl was actually climbing into his lap. She rested her little head on his chest, thumb in mouth, sighing contently, as if nothing was wrong with the world, and made herself comfortable. Mr. Robbie, her pink teddy bear, had mysteriously found himself sitting on Snape’s shoulder.

Harry James Potter, I swear when I lay my hands on you, I will …

“Hawwwy!”

Harry blinked. Then blinked again. Oh no. He wasn’t going to laugh. No, really. It would be a very stupid thing to do. Really! He’ll just take a deep breath and ignore the sound of Snape gritting his teeth and calmly take Maria from his Dad’s lap, and the Mr. Robbie from over his shoulder, and ….. oh what the hell! “Bwwwaaahhhaaaaahhhhhaaaa!!!!”

Snape’s eyes glittered dangerously as he bared his teeth but Harry was beyond logical thinking at the time.

When Harry was finally able to catch his breath, he retrieved Mr. Robbie first and then made to pick Maria up from Snape’ lap. The girl wiggled and put her small arms around Snape’s neck hugging him tight saying “bye bye.”

To Snape’s utter humiliation, he felt himself blush, which, in such a pale complexion was very noticeable. Harry had the time to stare in shock, before it registered in his mind: Severus Snape, Hogwarts Potions Master, Slytherin Head of House had just blushed.

And that was all Harry needed to helplessly collapse in another fit of giggles with the girl watching them silently, sucking her thumb.

Snape bestowed on Harry the best possible death glare before gritting his teeth while pronouncing every word, “I wouldn’t. DARE. to come back here. for a. few. Months. if I were you, Boy!”
…………………………….

Snape was amused to discover that Harry was actually chuckling in his sleep. Whatever it was he was dreaming of was something funny. He hated to wake him when he seemed enjoying himself that much, but he still shook Harry lightly calling his name. It was five minutes to midnight and he needed Harry to wake up.

Harry opened his eyes, and blinked. His dad was sitting beside him on the bed facing him and watching him intently. Harry suddenly remembered his dream and sniggered. Snape raised an eyebrow. He didn’t yet forget his humiliation earlier that day with that blasted toddler. He sharply growled, “What’s so funny, Potter?”

Harry shut his mouth. Yeah the image of Snape cuddling pink teddy bears in his dream was really funny, but he would never say that to Snape’s face. He wanted to live until graduation, thank you very much. He quickly asked, “Is something wrong, Dad? Why did you wake me?”

Snape glared at the boy who was looking innocently at him. That infuriating brat knew that being called Dad was still working to cool him down after only three days of being initiated. Snape huffed, he would have to work on that soon. He glanced quickly at the clock, it was now four seconds to midnight, … three … two … one.

As the grandfather clock downstairs started to chime, Harry saw a tray floating inside his room and depositing itself neatly on his lap. Harry blinked. It was a small cake with chocolate icing written on it, Happy Birthday, Harry. As the last chime sounded, the room darkened and suddenly 14 lit candles floated through the room to his cake and arranged themselves on the cake.

Harry didn’t know what to feel. He didn’t know whether to grin or cry. He had totally forgotten about his birthday but Snape didn’t. His Dad didn’t. “I … I … don’t …”

Snape rolled his eyes, “Yes, well. I know it’s too much to ask but your eloquence needs a lot of work boy.”

Harry laughed, but was appalled when a few tears ran down his cheeks in the process. He looked down and studied his hands for a moment before whispering, “Thank you. Thank you for everything, Dad.”

Snape raised Harry’s chin gently and smiled whispering himself, “Happy Birthday, Harry.” Snape wiped Harry’s tears with his thumbs and added, “May you always be safe and whole, my child.”

The lump in Harry’s throat prevented him from answering but he didn’t care. He was sure Snape knew all what he wanted to say.

After a few moments, Snape cleared his throat, “The candles are starting to melt, boy. And I for one don’t like to eat melted candles on my icing. Make a wish, Harry and blow them off.”

Harry grinned before closing his eyes. He didn’t hesitate to make his wish. He knew what he wanted and he made it confidently, praying that it would come true, then blew all his candles in one breath.

“I am not going to ask what your wish was!”

“And I am not going to tell you what my wish was!”

“Brat!”

“Ahem.”

“What?”

“Nothing!”

“You wanted to say something?”

“No, I changed my mind!”

“Smart boy!”

“Thank you.”

“Brat!”

Harry pursed his lips. He really really wanted to live at least until his wish came true, and retorting now would kill his wish in its cradle, “Umm … aren’t we going to eat the cake?”

To be continued...
End Notes:

Dina whispers Harry’s wish to her readers:

‘I wish to bring as much happiness to this man as he brought me whatever it takes! May he find the love and happiness that he missed in his life.”



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=925