The Painful Guardianship by Dina
Summary: AU - Finally Snape and Harry get to the “bottom” of things. A Snape adopts Harry Fic. The story starts by the end of POA and takes over from there. Contains spoilers to GOF and Ootp. The series involve spanking of children/teens. If you are not comfortable with this theme. Please do not read.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Deaging, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 31 Completed: No Word count: 152441 Read: 196536 Published: 15 Jul 2005 Updated: 23 Nov 2008
Chapter 23 - Heart Ache by Dina
Author's Notes:

Ahem – well ok, here is the verrryyy late new chapter. Enjoy and I simply LOVE your reviews, so please keep those coming!

Warning: LOTS of fluff! LARGE bit of angst.

Last Chapter:
Harry and Hermione were trying their best to keep a straight face for the sake of their friend but were failing miserably. Finally Ron snapped, “Alright, I am sorry, OK?â€
Snape held his gaze for a moment before nodding his acknowledgment and considered the subject dropped.
Harry decided that this was the best time to drop his bomb, “Dad?â€

Snape answered easily, “Yes, Harry?”

Harry deliberately looked straight at Snape ignoring all others in the room. He was thankful that his Dad did the same, giving him his undivided attention. “Um … Can I ask for something?”

Snape’s lips twitched. He was sure Harry would ask something ridiculously trivial just to inform the others of the new development, “What is it you want, Harry?”

Harry grinned, “Promise not to pull my ears?”

Ah, the boy was playing! So be it! Snape raised an eyebrow. “I certainly won’t promise anything of the sort, especially if I don’t like what you’re saying.”

Harry’s face fell, “Oh! Alright then.” He sighed dramatically before saying, “I know you’re busy and all but I was wondering if you could take us out around London today? Like when we went shopping? I know Ron and Hermione would also love an ice cream.”

Harry held his breath. He wasn’t going to look at his friends, nor at Dumbledore. He looked determinately at his Dad. He knew he had cornered him. He knew he was in for a bitter scolding afterwards for revealing things like that about the stern potions master, but he wanted them to know, to understand.

Snape raised an eyebrow, “Really, boy. The amount of ice cream you consume is unbelievable.”

Harry pouted a little in his plate. He was aware of the absolute silence around them. He didn’t dare look at anyone else, so he looked up at his father with a small smile, “So, is that a yes?”

Snape glanced at Ron and Hermione, taking in Ron’s open mouth and Hermione’s furrowed brow, but totally neglected looking at the Headmaster. He had spent the last two hours talking with Dumbledore about his life with Harry, the new school year, lesson plans, and the irritation he was feeling in his mark. He postponed telling him about what happened. He even hoped it would come up during lunch, but he knew that most probably Harry wouldn’t dare tell his friends about it in such a short time too. He was wrong. Harry proved to be braver than he thought, braver than he was.

Snape smiled lightly. He was aware of the Weasley boy chocking at his smile but didn’t care in the least. “Yes. If your friends have no objection, I will take you around London for a few hours. And I know I will regret it later, but yes, I will buy you yet another of the chocolate ice cream you’re addicted to.”

Harry opened his mouth to remind Snape of his own addiction to making potions, when his Dad cut him off saying in an unnerving tone, “And if you dare say what’s in your mind, you will be a very sorry 14 years old boy before you know it.”

Harry scowled but wisely kept his mouth shut. He hated it when Snape was that convincing!

Harry kept his eyes fixed on his plate for a moment. The room was still silent so he took a deep breath and looked up. Ron was staring at Snape with an open mouth. His Dad was cutting his pie into small neat pieces and eating calmly. Hermione was looking at Harry with concern. But what really made Harry’s heart clench was Dumbledore. He was peacefully drinking a cup of tea seemingly oblivious to what had just occurred, but his face was serious; and his eyes held no twinkle. Harry’s heart raced. He was so worried about his friends’ reactions but it had never occurred to him that the Headmaster could be a problem.

After some time, the Headmaster looked around, a faint twinkle in his eyes, “Alright, so if you have all finished lunch, there is no need to linger more. You have a busy afternoon. Harry, Severus, I will come by tomorrow morning to speak with you. Oh and Severus, I am sure Mr. Weasley and Miss Granger would like to see you wearing muggle clothes (Snape sneered at that). Have fun all of you.” Dumbledore then looked at Harry, his eyes complete with full twinkles again, “Have a Happy Birthday, Harry. Don’t let Severus trick you out of the Birthday cake.”

Harry grinned, “No Sir. Don’t worry. He woke me up by midnight and brought the cake to my room complete with 14 lit candles and birthday wishes.”

Both Ron and Hermione’s heads snapped to look at Snape in bewilderment. Snape however was starting to think this had gone too far. He glared viciously at Harry making Dumbledore laugh heartily. “Oh well, alright, I’ll leave you then. Harry save me some cake for tomorrow, will you? Or have you finished it already?”

“No Sir. We still have most of it left.”

“Good, good!”

Harry was already worried about the amount of trouble he was in with his Dad for revealing too much, but decided that if Snape was going to kill him anyway, he might as well give him a real reason to do so. He threw caution to the wind and walked to Severus looking at him warmly making him suddenly apprehensive. What, in Merlin’s name is he doing? What is he doing? I swear, if ….

Snape’s musings were cut when he found Harry’s arms wrapping around his waist tightly. He automatically put his arms around the boy’s shoulder’s holding him close. Honestly, that boy was going to be the death of him.

“Thanks Dad.” Harry whispered in his chest.

Snape horrified to feel his ears pinking, lowered his head and spoke quietly in Harry’s ear “Just you wait brat until we are alone!”

Ouch! Harry thought. That was going to hurt.

Snape, still holding Harry close, snapped at the other two, “What?”

Both quickly averted their eyes while Dumbledore apparated away still laughing merrily.

Harry finally pushed away from Snape who was still glaring at his friends. “Come on Dad. Go get ready. We’ll wait for you.”

Snape nodded. Harry needed a few moments with his friends and he had to reluctantly give him that time. He left to his room berating himself mercilessly for feeling so protective of the boy.

…………………………………..

As soon as Snape left the kitchen, Harry sat down and waited.

When no one spoke for some time, he sighed and got up starting to clear the table and put the plates and cups in the sink. After a moment, he found Hermione helping him and he smiled gratefully at her. She finally looked up and said reassuringly, “It’s going to be alright, Harry.”

Harry looked at Hermione then at Ron, “I know it’s going to be alright. I have a father now!” Harry thought that word sounded so good in his mouth. He had never referred to Snape as father before. Somehow it seemed different than Dad, more serious, more … committing.

“Yeah? So Snape is your father now?” Ron finally snapped.

Hermione glared at Ron, “Ronald! You’re not helping.” Then again looking at Harry with concern, “Harry, I trust Professor Snape. I can see he cares about you. And I know you have bonded together these past few weeks. I am happy for you, honest. But, I don’t know. This Dad thing is too far I think … I mean it’s not going to con-” Hermione closed her eyes, how was she going to tell him that it would be over soon? How could she wake Harry up from the dream he was living in? She was sure that this wasn’t going to go on after school started. She didn’t know why but she was sure about it.

Ron continued for her in sharp tone, “So what’s going to happen later Harry? Huh? Are you going to go around Hogwarts calling him Dad and … and hugging him.” As serious as the argument was, the way Ron said it, acting all scandalized, made Harry laugh. It was a short laugh and he immediately sobered again. This was going to be difficult.

“I know you’re both concerned, but I’m fine, really. I know it’s temporary. I know it’s going to end Hermione, so don’t worry about telling me that. But the last few weeks were the happiest ones that I have ever had in my whole life. You don’t know what it’s like for me. You couldn’t understand. You both had your families around all your lives. I never had a family. I never had a home, I was never welcome. Don’t you understand? I was never Loved!”

Harry was breathing hard by now while Ron was pale and Hermione had tears in her eyes. He continued, “Dad gave me everything. You don’t know what he did for me. You couldn’t possibly understand what it felt like to be held in somebody’s arms for the first time in your life. You couldn’t understand what it’s like to be free, not to be scared every second of your life of what the people you’re living with might do to you. I never had a home or a room, or even decent clothes. He gave me all that. Dammit I never even had enough food!” Harry closed his eyes and took a few breaths to calm himself down. “But that’s not it. Dad made me feel … wanted, cared about. And loved! Yes Ron, he loves me, I know it. Everything he does shows it. And I love him back. He’s my father, Hermione. I love him! I don’t care what’s going to happen later but at least I still have a few more weeks with him, and I am not going to waste them worrying. Can you two at least understand that?” By then Harry was looking pleadingly at them. He couldn’t deny how much his friends meant to him as well. He had never had any friends before them and he would never trade that friendship for anything. He didn’t want to be put in a position to choose.

Surprisingly it was Ron who was ready with his approval first, “Yeah mate. We can understand that. I’m sorry Harry, I didn’t know how much this would mean to you.”

“Harry, I just don’t want you hurt more when this breaks up, but as long as you have that in mind, it’s alright I guess. Just try to prepare yourself for it, will you?”

“Yeah, alright!”

Then Ron perked up, “Wait a minute! Harry, Snape threatened you today and you said he pulls your ears? How could you accept that?”

Harry rolled his eyes, “Really Ron, you don’t expect to be living with Severus Snape without being threatened to have your limbs chopped and added to potions, do you?”

“But … but he er … spanked you, remember? How do you know he’s not going to do that again?”

Harry reddened. Now this wasn’t a very comfortable subject, “Ahem … well, actually, hespankedmeagain!”

Ron roared, “WHAT?!”

Hermione however had a vague idea of when this happened. She did notice him wincing whenever he sat down when she visited him at the Dursleys. She just hoped there were no other incidences.

Harry was saved from answering Ron by a very silky statement of, “I assure you Mr. Weasley he completely deserved it. And I made sure he could still sit down when I was through with him. So you needn’t worry!”

Now that was embarrassing. Harry narrowed his eyes at his Dad who was standing at the kitchen door carelessly leaning his back against it. Snape raised an eyebrow at him. The message was clear: You started with embarrassing me! Bear the consequences. Harry groaned. This was going to be a long day.

While Ron was openly glaring at Snape, Hermione was openly staring at Snape. Here he was, leaning carelessly at the door, with his white shirt, upper buttons open to his chest, muggle black jeans on, sun glasses tucked at his forehead, and hair combed in a neat low ponytail.

“Miss Granger, I advise you to close your mouth soon. It’s a highly unbecoming expression for a young lady your age.”

Hermione turned scarlet and quickly looked away. Harry grinned. His Dad looked cool, and he knew it. No trace was there of the dungeons bat.

Snape however, silkily continued, “Did Harry tell you of the rules yet? Those about holding my hand when crossing the street, and never leaving my sight? No? Pity!”

That was too much! “Stop it, will you.” Harry snapped. Then looking at his wide eyed friends, he added, “He’s just being funny, don’t mind him.”

Snape put an arm across Harry’s shoulders, gently rebuking him, “Tsk tsk Harry, now really you shouldn’t be embarrassed by this. You would be in a big danger of getting punished if you don’t follow the rules after all. You don’t really want a spanking on your birthday, do you?”

Harry was fuming! Then looking at Snape’s hand holding his shoulder, he wondered if he would ever be able to sit down again if he bit his father’s hand!

Instead he smiled sweetly, “Of course not Dad. After all, I don’t want Professor McGonagall to scold you again like last time or pull your ears like she used to do.” And Harry fled to the front door followed close by two helplessly red faced and chocking friends. Snape was left standing in the kitchen gritting his teeth.

…………………………………

Soon, the who’s-going-to-embarrass-whom war was forgotten. Starting with the London Aquarium, where Ron was delighted beyond measure and ending with Hyde Park, the trio knew it was time to listen to Snape who seemed at the end of his rope with all the chattering, squealing and screaming of kids around. The only place that gave them trouble was Trafalgar Square where both Hermione and Snape seemed to forget anything and everything in favour of old books. Harry and Ron found themselves compelled to literally drag them away from the place.

Several times during the day Harry found his Dad’s arm around his shoulder. Several times he found Ron laughing at a snarky comment that his Dad made about something or another. Several times Harry discovered Hermione and Snape deep in conversation about potions theories. And several times he caught his father watching him like a hawk, as if someone was going to come and snatch him from right in front of his eyes. The warmth he felt at that fierce protectiveness was almost unbearable.

By the end of the tour, Snape found himself busy with three highly entertained, laughing at the slightest provocation, exhausted, tired, and hungry teenagers. There was still sometime until sunset and he thought it would be a great treat for Harry on his birthday to get on a Thames River Cruise. After all he himself had never been on one before. As he bought them all tickets for the dinner cruise, he tried to search for some of the old bitterness inside his heart, some of the coldness that used to wash over him when he came across something he never had the chance to do before, but he couldn’t find any. Harry, his son, had managed to melt it all.

………………………..

Finally they returned home, the children barely able to open their eyes.

“Miss Granger, Mr. Weasley, you can go freshen up a little while I light a fire for the floo. I will apparate you home Miss Granger.”

“It’s alright Sir. I can take the tube again. You needn’t-”

“Absolutely not, Miss Granger. You can barely open your eyes, girl and its getting late in all cases. Go get ready. You can use Harry’s room. Mr. Weasley, there is a bathroom down to the right that you can use to wash and freshen up.”

Hermione muttered her thanks and quickly went up the stairs but Ron was rooted to the spot. Snape shrugged and started a small fire with his wand. Soon the flames would turn green. Harry was sitting sprawled on a chair with a silly grin on his face as he remembered the day’s events. His Dad was great. His friends seemed to fairly accept it and they actually got along today far better that he expected. Life was good.

Ron cleared his throat to bring the attention of both Harry and his Dad to him. As soon as he was the centre of their attentions, he reddened and kept reddening until Harry feared he was going to burst.

“For the love of Merlin, Weasley, have you forgotten to breath?”

“Uh … No Sir.” The answer was so forced that it sounded to Harry more like a croak.

“Ron? What’s wrong?”

“Ah … I er … you see …”

Snape rolled his eyes, “I apologize Harry. My evaluation of your eloquence was highly lacking. After I heard Weasley’s, yours seems to be faultless.”

Harry laughed, “Well mate. Spit it out. Dad can go on with those type of comments for a long time, you know.”

Finally Ron cleared his throat again, took a deep breath, and face still as red as his hair, he decided to speak, “I wanted to thank you for ummm the day. We enjoyed ourselves a lot and I err want to … umm …” Ron closed his eyes. That was difficult. Both Harry and Snape were wearing identical expressions of expectancy, eyebrows raised and looking at him intently. He almost groaned. Now they look alike? He finally snapped, “Look, I am sorry. Alright?” Damn Damn Damn, what type of apology was that!

Snape crossed him arms waiting for more explanation while Harry was desperately trying to keep a passive face.

Courage was starting to leave Ron now, “You see, I think I was umm mistaken. You’re … you’re alright.”

“Ah, so you didn’t suffer any indigestion today then?”

Harry hadn’t thought it possible for Ron to turn a deeper shade of red, but he did as he whispered, “No Sir.”

Snape’s lips twitched, “Good. Because I would hate to inform you that I don’t have one ready for you.”

“Yes Sir.” And Ron ran away to the bathroom leaving a very amused potions master behind.

Harry sat up in his chair, “Dad. Thank you!” That was all what he could say. He didn’t trust himself with any more words, but he had to say it, “This was the best birthday I have ever had in my life.”

Snape walked to Harry and crouched in front of him. He took hold of both Harry’s cheeks in his hands “You deserve much better.” Harry closed his eyes and leaned forward resting his head on his father’s shoulder. After a few moments, Snape shook him off, “Don’t you dare sleep on me, boy.”

Harry scowled. He was starting to feel the sweet pre-sleeping trance and didn’t like being jerked out of it. He glared at his smirking Dad for sometime before suddenly sticking his tongue out at him.

Snape raised his eyebrows, “How old are you again Harry?”

“Um 14 … going on 4?”

“Precisely my thoughts.” Snape lightly slapped the back of Harry’s hand making Harry snigger, “Don’t do that again, Mr. 4 years old.”

“Yes, Daddy.” Harry answered in a small voice.

Snape narrowed his eyes at the boy before stating, “Brat!”

“Harry!”

Snape cuffed him upside the head as he stood up and went to inspect the fire. “You have good friends, Harry.”

“I know. Ron could be a git sometimes and Hermione can get on my nerves, but they’re the only friends I ever had and we have become very close. We went through a lot together.”

“Hm. Like the Polyjuice Potion for instance?” Snape coolly pointed out.

“What? No Dad please, don’t use that against them. They don’t even know I told you. Hermione’s going to kill me for it.”

Snape chuckled, “Don’t worry Harry. I won’t say a word about it.”

Harry sighed in relief. But a very short relief it was. Snape continued, “I will save it for a better opportunity.”

A rather refreshed Hermione came down at that moment to find Snape smirking and Harry muttering darkly about Slytherins. She looked between them then rolled her eyes. They were bantering again it seemed. Honestly, those two banter like school children all the time. She would never have believed that Professor Snape had it in him.

“Sir, thank you very much for the day. It was wonderful and I learnt a lot from our discussions.”

“You’re welcome Miss Granger.” I am not going to do it. I am not going to do it. I am NOT going to do it. “Harry can show you my study on your next visit Miss Granger. I am sure you might find it useful.” Arggggh - Now you’ve done it!

Harry gave Snape a long suffering look. He must be kidding. Now Hermione would get a sleeping bag and make camp in the study.

Hermione’s eyes widened, “Your … your study Sir? Really, I can look through it? Thank you, Professor. I don’t believe-”

“Slow down Miss Granger or you’ll kill yourself in excitement,”

Hermione blushed and quietened down considerably, however she was still shifting from foot to foot almost ready to make a run for the study. Snape thought it safest to take her home before she decided to spend the night there. “Miss Granger I’ll have to hold you close for apparition if that’s alright with you.”

Harry grinned at Hermione’s additional red shades. “That’s alright Sir. Harry, Happy Birthday. Take care.”

“Thanks Hermione. See you soon. I’ll call you.”

Snape put his arms awkwardly around Hermione’s shoulders. “Harry, the fire is ready if Mr. Weasley would like to use it before I come back.” And Snape apparated away with Hermione.

A little while later, a still pinkish Ron came out to find Harry alone. He sighed in relief. He certainly wasn’t ready to meet Snape again. Harry grinned, “Still pink, mate?”

Ron sneered at Harry. “Whoa, Ron. Now you look like him!”

……………………………

A few playful punches later, Harry was heading to the shower after Ron left. He went to his room to retrieve fresh clothes and check on Midnight. He had forgotten to tell his Dad about the cat. It would be very amusing to watch them both together.

Midnight was curled up on the window sill when Harry came in. He raised his head, glared briefly at the boy and put his head back on his paws totally ignoring him. Harry laughed. He could swear the cat was imitating all his Dad’s gestures. Harry checked the litter box Hermione helped him make and found it didn’t need his attention yet. He showered quickly and put his pyjamas on, and returned back to his room where he sat on the floor beside the window cross legged with Midnight in his lap, purring, as he scratched him behind the ears.

“You like that. Don’t you?”

Midnight ignored Harry and proceeded to wash his face with his paw. Harry grinned. “You remind me of my Dad, you know that? He too tries to show off being tough and nasty. But you can’t fool me Midnight.” The cat in question was just flipping its tail on Harry’s chin when Snape came in. Harry smiled, “Hi Dad. You’re late!”

Snape pulled a chair and sat down in front of Harry, “Yes, the Grangers insisted I have a drink before leaving.”

“So, you associate with muggles a lot. I would never have imagined that until I came to your house.”

Snape’s eyes darkened. “Yes. Very few people know about that. I would like to keep it that way, Harry.”

Harry crawled nearer to his Dad. Another sensitive subject it seemed. Snape’s life seemed full of sensitive subjects. His mood flipped easily from warm and open, to closed and bitter. Harry lightly touched Snape’s knee, “Don’t worry Dad. No one will ever know about this summer. No one will ever know about us, other than the people who already know about it of course.” Harry felt his heart clenching as he said that. “Maybe I don’t know why, but I always knew that this should be kept a secret.”

Snape studied his hand for a moment, “Harry, things are … complicated. I promise that soon I will tell you some things, but other things have to remain unsaid for the time being. There are signs, Harry that are worrying us all. Things are going to get even more complicated.”

Harry didn’t understand any of that, and at that point, he didn’t even care. All he could see was that his father was worried and uneasy. He patted his hand lightly, “Everything is going to be alright, Dad. Just-”

Midnight chose that moment to jump on Snape’s lap startling him “Blasted Cat!!”

Harry laughed. “Oh, I haven’t introduced you yet. Dad, meet Midnight.”

Snape narrowed his eyes dangerously at the poor cat growling, “I have had the pleasure of meeting this blasted thing in Miss Granger’s house last time.”

Harry scowled when he remembered the circumstances – and the consequences – of that visit. Snape’s lips twitched, “That reminds me Harry. We are alone now, aren’t we?”

Harry looked at him in confusion, “Of course we are. What … oh!” Oops!

Harry jumped up and made for the door. “Oh no, you don’t boy!” The door closed keeping Harry inside looking very sorry for himself.

Snape stretched lazily and got up determinedly walking towards Harry who was looking longingly at the window and seriously considering jumping out. “So, Mr. Potter, you think it’s alright to tell your fellow miscreants that I got you a birthday cake?”

Maybe if I get under the bed? “Er … well you did, didn’t you?”

Snape ignored him finally reaching Harry – and his ears. “And you thing it’s alright to reveal things about Minerva and myself to your friends?”

“But you OWW told them about spanking me Owee.”

“And you think it’s alright to hug me with Dumbledore around?”

It finally clicked in Harry’s mind. Snape wasn’t angry with him for making him seem soft in front of his friends. Snape was embarrassed because Dumbledore was there! The stern, nasty potions master, who is reputed to hate children - and sometimes to add them to potions - is acting all Daddy like with the Headmaster right there.

Harry yanked his head back freeing his ears from his Dad’s iron grip. Raising an eyebrow and crossing his arms, he smirked, “I see, Professor. So this is the whole problem. Hmm, what do you think the Headmaster would say if he knew that you hold me every day, and stroke my hair? What about the day when I convinced you to push me on the swings? And thammmmphh!!”

Harry struggled to remove the gag from his mouth for a long time, even after Snape left to go shower and change his clothes. He gave up after some time and resignedly sat on his bed arms crossed and pouting severely. Humph! So, Snape, you want to continue with that image huh? Right!

Harry, still gagged, ran to his desk and snatched a notebook and pen, returned to his bed and sat cross legged, writing furiously, with Midnight snoozing beside him. Tomorrow was the last day for submitting a story in the library story competition. Harry would make sure to submit one!

………………………

When Snape came later to his room, Harry was almost finished with his story. He looked up, glared at his Dad, then closed his notebook and put it aside. He crossed his arms and scowled.

Snape chuckled, “Alright brat. Let’s remove this.” With a flick of his wand the gag was removed. Harry continued to scowl as he crawled under covers and closed his eyes. Please don’t go. Please? I am sorry? Harry’s heart raced as he waited.

Snape shook his head and sighed. He moved closer to Harry and gently stroked his hair making the boy relax visibly. No my child, I wasn’t going to leave you without this comfort.

Harry didn’t know how much time they stayed like that, but the next time he opened his eyes, the room was dark, and he was tucked tightly under covers. He sat up in bed and put on the side light. It was almost two in the morning. Harry took his notebook and wrote a couple more pages. Finally, satisfied with his story, he didn’t linger a lot around the signature issue. He signed it Harry, The Wizard’s Pupil, adding his telephone number and address. He put the notebook aside and snuggled under covers again.

He whispered, “Dad, I love you,” before closing his eyes for the night.

…………………………………………..

Before breakfast, Harry asked if he could run off to the library and submit the story. He didn’t know when Dumbledore would come or when would he leave so it was better to get that out of the way. After being sufficiently tormented about writing stories and warned not to make it a habit during class time, Harry literally ran to the library where he submitted his story and ran back again just in time to start on the tea and coffee.

Breakfast went on without problems. Harry could see that Snape was worried. He was worried too. Dumbledore didn’t seem to like the idea yesterday and Harry had already learnt how much effect the Headmaster had on his Dad. “Dad? Don’t worry. It’s going to be alright.”

Snape looked at Harry for a moment before throwing his head back and laughing heartily, startling the poor boy out of his wits. When he was calm enough, he looked at the bewildered boy, “Come here brat. And no, I’m not going to pull your ears.”

Harry grinned and moved closer to his Dad who enveloped him in his arms. “This is the second time that you tell me not to worry.” He raised the boy’s chin and looked deep in Harry’s eyes, “I am the father Harry, not you. I am the one who’s supposed to comfort you and tell you that everything is going to be alright.”

Harry’s heart fluttered in his chest. This was the first time that Snape used the term father with him. It sounded like music to his ears. “Oh, really? Well I am just helping you do your job. You can’t possibly tell yourself that, and if you’re not comforted enough, you wouldn’t be able to comfort me. See? It’s all for a selfish reason.”

Snape smiled, “Harry? Did I mention that you’re a brat?”

“Yeah, several hundred times.”

Both jumped when Dumbledore apparated right beside them, “Oh my, are you still hugging him since yesterday, Severus?”

Snape gritted his teeth as he pushed a sheepish looking Harry away, and growled, “Headmaster, have you ever heard of knocking?”

“Yes, I believe I heard about knocking before. Why are you asking?”

Snape glared at Dumbledore who was currently inspecting the quality of the sausages on the table. Harry grinned, “Tea, Professor?”

“Yes, I would like some tea Harry. Thank you very much.”

A few minutes later, the three were sitting at the kitchen table drinking tea and waiting for Dumbledore to start his ‘discussion’. Severus was getting stiffer by the second and Harry had a heavy feeling at the pit of his stomach. Please don’t spoil the last few weeks we have together.

The Headmaster cleared his throat, “Severus, Harry, I know you’re both curious, if not worried, about what I have to say concerning your relationship. I would just like you to understand that I have never felt happier in my life than when I saw you together in my visits. Severus, I know how much you care about Harry. I can see it in your eyes and in your face. I know that you never felt any happiness until Harry came into your life. Harry, I know how much Severus means to you. You might not have known it my boy, but your eyes were those of an old man, who had seen enough pains in his life. That is until you came here. Your eyes now are practically dancing, Harry. I am happy for you both. You deserve this happiness after all that time.”

The Headmaster paused for a moment to catch his breath. Both Harry and Severus were sitting very still. He continued, “I know you’re worried that I am going to spoil it for you, but I am concerned. I have to admit Harry, that when Severus first came to my office, along with Minerva, to tell me that he invited you to spend the summer with him, I was shocked to the core. I hoped that your relationship would develop to a more friendly one, but it had never occurred to me that one day Severus would willingly let anyone, let alone you, break his personal space. You might not know what happened that day, Harry, but I had forcefully fought against you coming here.”

Harry jumped, “What? Why? Why would you do that?”

Snape held Harry’s hand and pulled him back to his chair, “Calm down Harry. The Headmaster had his reasons.”

Dumbledore sighed, “I knew that once you’re together you’d have a very good relationship, you would grow close. And this cannot continue once you’re back at school. The feelings will continue, but not the relationship. I didn’t want any of you to experience more pain than you already have when you find yourselves compelled to act coldly towards each other.”

Harry didn’t understand, he refused to accept that logic, and his temper was starting to boil, “So Professor, you decided that denying us this experience was better? Denying us a chance at happiness was your solution?”

“Harry, that’s not what I meant. I-”

“NO! That’s exactly what you meant. So now what? You want to take me away from here? Because you’re afraid that we would Even Grow Closer The NEXT WEEKS?”

Severus sternly ordered, “Harry. You will sit down this instant and let the Headmaster continue. Is that clear, boy?”

Harry looked betrayed for a second, before complying with his Dad’s order.

The Headmaster looked tired, “I have to admit Harry, I am not without faults. Those were my feelings then and those feelings increased tenfold yesterday. I never thought your relationship would develop that much. It’s not because you call Severus Dad, Harry. It’s because you do treat him like a father, and he treats you like a son. I became worried. I came because I am feeling apprehensive of what’s going to happen later. How are you going to bear the changes that must happen at the beginning of the school year? We must think of-”

Harry was almost close to tears. “Why do you all have to remind me that this is going to end? Why can’t you leave us alone? I know it’s not forever. I know I only have four more weeks. I KNOW! Can’t you all let us live those weeks. Do you have to spoil it for me? I don’t even know why we can’t continue like that. Why can’t I have a father when he’s right here?” Two tears spilled down Harry’s cheeks. He looked desperately at his Dad. Will he never be able to go to him for comfort after the school start? His Dad won’t be able to hold him close? Will he be all alone again? What about next summer, he couldn’t possibly go to the Dursleys again, or will the Headmaster send him back? No one was going to call him brat anymore. No one was going to buy him ice cream. No one was going to come to his room at night and wish him sweet dreams. He won’t be able to brew potions with his Dad. He would have no one to ask his questions, no one to tease, no one to love. What was he going to do? God why was this happening to him? Harry was feeling numb. His chest was hurting. He couldn’t breathe. his throat was on fire. He was vaguely aware of someone calling his name in alarm. He couldn’t breath. Something was being poured down his throat. He smelled coffee. Then he smelled it. That sweet scent, a smell of faint spices, and a manly cologne, and what was that? He knew that smell. Oh yes, lavender. Dad liked to use lavender scented soap. He should buy some for him and keep it aside. What was he going to do if there was no soap? Now that would be a problem. He’s going to go with Dad and buy some more. Maybe he could ask Dad if they could make some soap in the potions lab together. Yeah, that’s right. He needn’t worry. He could always ask him later. Now he was tired. So tired. He leaned in the strong chest under his head and snuggled in the arms surrounding him. Then everything went black.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=925