The Painful Guardianship by Dina
Summary: AU - Finally Snape and Harry get to the “bottom” of things. A Snape adopts Harry Fic. The story starts by the end of POA and takes over from there. Contains spoilers to GOF and Ootp. The series involve spanking of children/teens. If you are not comfortable with this theme. Please do not read.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Deaging, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 31 Completed: No Word count: 152441 Read: 196554 Published: 15 Jul 2005 Updated: 23 Nov 2008
Chapter 29 - Family Matters by Dina
Author's Notes:
Okay. So I have no excuse really. It was just one thing and another until I suddenly discovered it had been much over a year since I last updated. Many of you are angry with me, and many threatened to call Snape (Well I had waited to see if he would answer your call though). But well, finally, the new chapter is here. Of and the next one is almost finished too, so I really really hope it won't be long before I post again.

Enjoy!

As usual Read and REVIEW, ahem.


Disclaimer: I do wish I owned Snape … and Harry … and Remus … and Sirius … and McGonagall … and Dumbles … well you get the idea.

Harry and Remus were drinking tea and chatting amiably in the kitchen when Snape apparated in. He was looking paler than usual and Harry’s heart clenched. Whatever Snape had expected was true. Malfoy must have confirmed his suspicions. Well, to be honest, Snape hadn’t really had any suspicions. He was sure that it happened, whatever it was.

“Lupin.” Snape greeted curtly.

Remus nodded in greeting, “I hope you’re feeling better today, Severus.”

Snape looked sharply at Harry, who had for some reason found his hands fascinating. The brat lacked discretion it seemed, and had obviously spilled all his beans to his beloved werewolf. He would have to set him straight later.

“Yes. I am well. Thank you.” He coolly replied though. There was no need to forget his manners now, was it? After all, the bloody canine had convinced the boy to give him a chance.

Harry clearly his throat, “Um, would you like some coffee?” Harry said in a small voice.

Snape fought the urge to smile, or roll his eyes, or to do something similarly mundane in front of the werewolf. Just why did the brat insist on acting so small and helpless? And why in Merlin’s name did he start all his sentences with ‘um …’ or ‘er …’?

“Tea will do, Harry.” Snape said calmly as he sat down in front of his son.

Harry jumped up to get his Dad a cup of tea and added a touch of sugar and cream just as he liked. Pushing the cup over, he said with a grin, “Here, Dad.”

Snape raised an eyebrow. So Lupin was told of this new ‘development’ as well? Strange! The werewolf was still sitting calmly sipping his tea and wasn’t preparing to tear his throat up. Interesting …!

Severus sipped his tea in silence as Harry watched him. He could see that the boy sensed his mood and his lips twitched. Who would have thought that such a day would come when Harry Potter of all people would be able to sense his moods that well? Yes he was almost angry with the boy. Draco, his other brat, had just shared with him an interesting incident that had occurred on Hogwarts Express. Of course, Snape knew that this ‘incident’ was provoked by Draco himself and the boy was going to pay dearly for it later, but that didn’t mean that Harry and his fellow miscreants would get away with it.

Harry watched his Dad for sometime getting more uncomfortable as moments passed. His father seemed to be glaring at the tabletop, at the teapot, and at his teacup. That usually didn’t bode well. Snape wasn’t happy about something, and it had nothing to do with last night’s happenings. It had to do with him. His Dad was angry with him, and he didn’t have a clue why.

Both Snape and Harry were startled out of their thoughts when Lupin cleared his throat loudly. Clearly, Remus had been trying to get Snape’s attention for some time now.

“Thank you Severus.” Remus said quietly.

Snape stared at Remus, asking coolly, “What for?”

“Well, for agreeing to my visiting Harry in your house for one.”

Harry’s house.” Snape amended forcefully.

Remus smiled, “Yes. And for that too. For making it Harry's house.

Snape only grunted in response.

But Remus wasn’t discouraged, “Alright. If not for that, then let me see. For the wolfsbane potion, then?”

“That was just a duty Lupin, far from a personal favour I assure you.” Snape sneered.

“I beg to differ, Severus. But fine, if that is not enough to thank you, then I thank you with all my heart for putting such a smile on Harry’s face.”

Harry blushed and Snape’s face softened, a act that was immediately noticeable for the overly sharp werewolf, who grinned. Oh Harry, you have done the impossible and told the ruthless Snape where to find his heart.

Remus continued playfully, “Harry was just telling me that you have permanently changed his name to Brat.”

Harry blushed deeper. Evil Remus! Snape looked fiercely at Harry, “Yes, a much more suitable name for him if you ask me!”

Harry groaned. Right! It was settled then. Snape was angry with him. What had he done this time?

Remus looked from Harry to Severus, then gulped the rest of his tea and stood up. "Alright, I'll just go now then. Thank you again Severus for-"

"A word before you leave Lupin, if you would."

"Of course, Severus."

Snape nodded, "My study then. Harry, I want a word with you as well after Lupin leaves. Please be in your room."

Harry nodded nervously. He was in trouble and he didn't know why. He wished Snape would just tell him what was wrong instead of making him wait.

…………………….

As soon as Remus closed the door to Snape's study, Severus rounded on him, "Exactly what were you thinking, Lupin?"

Remus raised his hands, "Whoa … Severus. Hold your horses. Now what are you talking about, hmm?"

Snape gritted his teeth. The damned werewolf's eyes were twinkling. Was the headmaster giving special training to all his little Gryffindor pets on it now? A nerve throbbing in his neck, Severus forced himself to breath calmly while icily stating, "You know exactly what I am talking about, Lupin. Or … do I have reason to suspect that have committed too many offences against me that you are now failing to decide which one I am referring to? "

Put that way, Remus reasoned that maybe it wasn't really a very good idea to stall with Severus on this. He took a deep breath, looked directly in Snape's eyes, and seriously said, "No, Severus. You don't have any reason to suspect that. And I promise that you will have no reason to in the future."

Snape, startled by the words and the sentiment behind them nodded. Both wizards held gazes for a few moments before the Potions Master suddenly glared, "Now, Lupin," he snarled, "What on earth had possessed you to talk to Harry about me? How dare you talk to him about my past? And without even consulting me?"

"Would you have agreed to tell him?"

"Don't be ridiculous. What should I tell him? Come live with me for the summer, and oh by the way I am a death eater, nothing to worry about really." Snape wanted to bite his tongue when he saw the smirk on the damned werewolf's lips as if saying 'See'. He had walked himself right into that. "That's beside the point, Lupin."

Remus cocked his head to the side, "Is it?"

"Yes!" Snape insisted.

Lupin chuckled, "Oh, don't be stubborn, Severus."

Snape narrowed his eyes, "You had no right to talk about me to Harry." Damn you Lupin. Can't you understand? Can't you?

"Severus, You're not really angry because I told Harry about it, if anything, you're thankful that you weren't the one to tell him. You're thankful that he had accepted you as you are, and that there are no secrets held over your head, no threats, no fear of what's going to happen when Harry finds out. So why are angry now? What's really eating you?"

Snape's fists were white with rage. When he blew-up, it was with the warmest reassurance that Remus could have hoped for. "CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND? HE COULD HAVE REFUSED AND I WOULD HAVE LOST HIM!"

Even as he said it, Snape's heart constricted and at that moment he knew it. He couldn't live without Harry. For him, there was no world, no life, if Harry wasn't … Snape blinked … Now what was that idiot grinning about?

"God, Severus. Harry had told me, but I would have never believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes." Then Remus collapsed in laughter.

"What?" Snape growled, irritated beyond words, and the bloody werewolf managed to gasp between chuckles, "Severus Snape, loves Harry bloody Potter to tears."

………………………..

Harry was pacing nervously in his room, alternating between scratching Midnight behind the ears and stroking his lilies. For the life of him, he couldn’t remember anything he had done to make his Dad angry.

A few minutes later, Snape knocked on Harry's door. He took a few deep breaths before entering. He had promised himself he wouldn't yell at the boy. He would speak logically and calmly. No yelling. He would keep his temper.

"Harry, we need to talk."

Harry swallowed and nodded. Snape pulled an armchair in front of the bed and motioned for Harry to sit. Harry looked nervously at Snape, "Dad, what did I do? Why are you angry with me?"

Snape narrowed his eyes, "You don't know?"

Harry shook his head, while Snape continued, "I was at the Malfoys' today. Imagine my surprise when Draco told me what happened. You didn't expect me to know, did you?"

Harry gritted his teeth. Malfoy. He should have known.

"What did that filthy little-" Harry stopped mid-rant at Snape's glare. He took a deep breath and said more calmly, "What did Malfoy tell you? He is a liar, you know."

"No, I don't know. As far as I am concerned, Draco doesn't lie to me."

A pang of jealousy hit Harry at the moment. "Oh, yeah? I am sorry to inform you then. Malfoy is a filthy liar. He has always been, and always will be," Harry finished with a yell.

"Harry James Potter! You will calm down this instant and use a respectful tone when speaking to me. Understood?"

Harry nodded reluctantly.

"Good. Now, care to tell me whatever had possessed you and your little friends to gang upon Draco and attack him in the train?"

Harry yelled, "Attack him? We didn't attack him, the filthy liar. It was just a prank."

Snape sneered, "Oh, a prank then. Of course. I should've known."

Harry narrowed his eyes, "What does that mean?"

"Nothing. And that's beside the point. Now answer my question. Whatever had possessed you to gang on Draco and attack him, and now you're trying to WEASLE YOUR WAY OUT OF IT."

Harry took a step back at the yelling. He felt betrayed. How could you, Dad? Snape had believed what Malfoy told him without a second thought. He believed that Harry would bully another person, Malfoy or not. He had believed him, even when he knew what Harry had suffered all his life. Dudley was the bully, not Harry. Snape hadn't even waited to hear Harry's version. He had just assumed that Malfoy was right and was now asking him to explain his presumed actions. NO. He wasn't going to. If Snape believed Malfoy and jumped to conclusions without bothering to ask, so be it. He wasn't going to correct him.

Snape was feeling guilty for yelling, after he had promised himself to keep calm. And the boy was very upset. Maybe he had really made a mistake. "Harry, tell me, I will believe whatever you say. I trust you."

"No." Harry snapped. "Obviously you don't want to listen to me, go figure it out yourself if you're that intelligent."

"Harry, I warned you, you will speak respectfully, or so help me I will-"

'FINE. PUNISH ME. SEE IF I CARE!" Harry screamed at Snape and ran out of the room slamming the door harshly behind him.

Snape sat staring at the door for a long time. The brats. Both of them. He needed a stiff drink.

……………………..

Harry was sitting curled up in the living room staring into space. It hurt. So much. Snape had believed Malfoy over him. No, scratch that, Snape had believed Malfoy without even asking him.

Harry sighed. But Snape later said he would believe him, right? And why was he now thinking of him as Snape. Was he not Dad anymore? Was he really so silly and childish to stop thinking of the man as Dad over something like that?

Harry hugged his knees while he scolded himself harshly. It was nothing. And the man said he believed and trusted him. Yes, it was nothing and he should get a grip on himself already. But if it was nothing, why was he feeling so miserable?

….. Sniff ….

Maybe he should talk to Hermione.

Harry laughed humourlessly. Yes, he could imagine how that conversation could go. 'Harry I told you, you couldn't just be silly and childish like that. Honestly, Professor Snape is a teacher. He must have a reason for believing Malfoy. And really he said he believed you later, so what's the problem now? Did you search in the library?'

That would go well, he thought.

Ron, then. Yes, he could talk to Ron. Ron understands about families. He was the first to accept that Harry needed a father. He had even apologized to Snape. Ron would understand and wouldn't scold him like Hermione. And well … Harry had to admit, he really did like the idea of talking to someone who would badmouth Snape, even a little. Maybe then he would be satisfied. May be then he would get his revenge.

Satisfied with such an evil scheme, Harry lit the fire and waited patiently for it to turn green before yelling 'the Burrow' and sticking his head in.

……………

Meanwhile at the Burrow, the twins were huddled together in a corner whispering frantically over a piece of parchment that was owled to them an hour before. Mrs. Weasley was busy in the kitchen preparing dinner for her brood, sending the twins suspicious glances every once in a while, muttering under her breath about the trouble they must be scheming. Those two had always given her double the trouble that all her other children had given her, put together. What in Merlin's name were they scheming now? She sighed. At least Ron and Ginny weren't giving her as much trouble now. They both seemed to have matured over the years. Ron's friendship with Harry, and all the dangers they were exposed to, had matured Ron much. Oh, and Ginny. The poor girl was still having nightmares since her fateful first year. It Harry hadn't saved her then, … Molly shuddered. Oh, Harry! Such a sweet boy. She was happy for him. When Dumbledore had told her about Harry spending his summer with Severus, she was shocked. But not for the reasons that others expected. Oh, no. She knew that Severus would take good care of Harry. She knew that somewhere under all those layers of coldness and glares, there was a tender heart, able to feel and love and craving for love in return, only waiting for the opportunity. Still, she was shocked that Harry had agreed.

Since the first time she met the boy, she knew there was something suspicious about him. He was always very quiet, very withdrawn. And whenever he was shown the slightest affection, oh, how his face lit up. She longed to hold the boy in her arms and give him the much needed care, but she couldn’t really. She had a house to take care of, a bunch of mischievous demons to look after, and a good-hearted husband who was just as mischievous as his children. Molly stirred the soup distractedly. What was Harry doing now, she wondered.

Just then, the object of her thoughts appeared in the fireplace. She beamed, "Harry!"

Running to the fire, she knelt down and gave his cheeks a couple of hearty kisses leaving him red with embarrassment, but looking elated all the same. She laughed, "How are you doing, Harry? And young man, you are in deep trouble."

"Er …"

"Not one letter, not a firecall to tell old Molly here how you were doing, and if Severus is treating you ok? Oh but of course not. Now that have him, you don’t need me anymore, hm?"

Harry, horrified that Mrs. Weasley would think he was ungrateful, almost yelled, "No … Mrs. Weasley, no. I am sorry. I never-''

Harry stopped short when she saw mischief dancing in Mrs. Weasley's eyes. He groaned. Now, he knew exactly where the twin had gotten that look. The look that would make most of the school, teachers included, run for cover. He glared at the now laughing woman and pouted.

"Sorry dear, it is just so easy to tease you," Mrs. Weasley said amid her tinkling laughter.

Oh, Joy! You really think? Harry thought darkly.

Not really feeling charitable towards Mrs. Weasley now, he almost snapped, "Is Ron home?"

"Yes dear. One moment … RONALD! Why don’t you step in, Harry?"

Harry's face lit up for a second, then he pouted a little saying, "Er … no, I can't really." Snape would kill me if I left the house without telling him.

Oh, Severus. Keeping the boy on a tight leash, are you? She smiled sympathetically. "Ron can come over if you'd like, Harry."

Harry beamed, earlier grudge already forgotten, "Thanks, Mrs. Weasley."

Ron came into the kitchen the. "What … Harry!"

"Hey Ron. Would you come over? My knees are getting numb already from kneeling. Mrs. Weasley said you could."

"Why don’t you step in then?"

Mrs. Weasley watched silently as Harry pinked, "I … um … didn't tell D… Snape and … Oh come over Ron!" Harry scowled.

Ron chanted, "Ooooh. Harry is scarred. Harry is scared of the greasy g- OW Mummm!"

Molly, satisfied with the effect of the rolled up daily prophet on the back of Ron's head, pushed him towards the floo scolding, "Don't you ever let me hear you riling up Harry like that, Ronald Bilious Weasley or you will be very sorry!"

Harry, grinning, pulled back of the fireplace to let Ron step in muttering "I'll make sure you don't hear me," before disappearing, leaving Molly to ponder on Harry's little slip of tongue. "I didn't tell D… Snape." Hmm….

……………….

Sometime later, Harry was waving his hand in front of Ron's face … several times, "Ron … Ron … RON!"

Suddenly, Ron jumped up and landed a hearty punch that caught Harry squarely on the jaw. "OWW, what did you do that for?" Harry glared.

"What for? What for? After what you told me? All what happened to you and you never even thought of telling me? As if you didn't have a best friend? Oh, but of course, Hermione knows."

Great! Oh Great. So now Ron had managed to make him feel guilty, besides feeling miserable in the first place. All that because he didn't tell Ron that the Dursleys were such evil creatures. Because Snape visited Hermione. Because Snape spent a week at the Dursleys. Because Dumbledore was a git that made him panic and turn into a 4 years old in a 14 years old body. And because Dumbledore had seen fit to inform Hermione and not Ron about it, Harry was the one who got punched for it. How marvellous!

"Fine, Ron." Harry yelled, "Fine. Be that way. I am a git. Go back to the Burrow and leave me alone." Harry flopped himself of his bed and buried his face in his hands.

A few moments later, Harry felt Ron sitting beside him. "Sorry," he muttered in his hands.

Ron snorted, "Yeah … You should be," Ron stated, briefly squeezing Harry's shoulder. "I hope your jaw hurts like hell, Potter."

Harry looked up glaring, "Prat!"

"Git."

"Yeah … I guess." Harry confessed.

Ron cleared his throat, "Well, now that all this is out of the way … I have to tell you Harry that … oh I can't believe that I am saying this now …. that … oh, well, Snape is not really that bad."

Harry jumped up, "WHAT?"

"Heyyy … hold your hippogriffs, mate. I mean Snape is awful, yeah, but about that thing with Malfoy and stuff, he's not really that-"

Harry was furious, "You've got to be kidding me. You were supposed to started raving about him, to tell me that he is evil, that he should have trusted me, and .. and that he .. he was a bastard." Even as he said it, Harry felt a knot forming in his stomach. He shouldn’t have said that about his Snape. About his Dad. He chocked up as he continued, "You … you were supposed to be really mean to him that … and then I would defend him and get angry with you."

Ron blinked, "Uh, Harry?"

"What?" Harry snapped.

"Are you absolutely sure that you're not 4 years anymore?"

What?" Harry glared viciously at his best friend.

Ron dissolved in laughter, "Whoa, Harry. You don’t have to go all Snapeish on me."

When Harry's scowl deepened, Ron backtracked, "Alright, alright. I'll be serious now. You know what your real problem is? You're new to this family thing. You love him, Harry, as much as it makes me sick to say that. You should see how Mum is with us, all the time suspicious, always thinking we were in trouble. She makes me rage and rave all the time, calling her mean and stupid. And you know what? If in one of those fits, Malfoy insulted her, I would have torn his throat with my bare hands. You're just angry with him Harry. That's normal. And you should be really. But you still love him, and that's understandable too."

By the end of Ron's surprisingly very wise monologue, Harry was feeling an excessive warming forming in his chest. Ron grinned, "You're family now, Harry. These things happen."

Harry smiled, "Since when have you become so wise, Ron?"

Ron waved his hand imperiously, "Oh, it's nothing. I do it all the time." Then suddenly, he jumped on Harry catching him in a headlock and landing several playful punches over the smaller boy. Harry, who had recently gained several pounds of weight and a couple of inches, started giving as good as he was getting from Ron.

…………

Snape was still pacing his study. He felt guilty for jumping to conclusions like that, and was feeling very angry at Draco for lying to him. Oh, that boy would be very sorry. Snape sighed. Maybe, it was time to go and talk to Harry again. He must have calmed down by now. But what to tell him? He didn't blame the boy really. He must have felt hurt and betrayed. Snape groaned. How the Weasleys ever managed with 7 children was beyond him. One little scrawny adorable child was controlling all his time, thoughts and energy already, and it had only been a few weeks.

Snape sighed again and started climbing the stairs to Harry's room. As soon as he reached the top of the stairs, his heart leapt to his throat. He heard thumps and yelps coming from the boy's room. In his panic, he hadn't registered the laughs that accompanied the sounds. Trying to hold down the terror that he felt of what he might find there, he held his wand tightly and kicked the door open with a loud bang, stopping dead in his tracks, a deadly hex on the tip of his lips. Quite a few curses went through his mind and several expressions crossed his face over the next few seconds.

The bundle of laughing and flailing limbs on the floor, which he had identified as his Harry and the youngest Weasley boy, were frozen in shock, mouths open, in horror in the case of Weasley, and in defiance in the case of the brat.

Very calmly, Snape returned his wand to his pocket, cleared his throat, and said in a clipped tone, "I would greatly appreciate it if you both join me in the study, after you locate your limbs correctly, of course." When the bundle of limbs didn't answer, Snape merely glared, making Ron squeak a quick, "Yes, Sir."

……………….

A little later, two subdued boys were standing in front of Snape with their heads down.

When Snape opened his mouth to speak, Harry beat him to it, "Ron had nothing to do with it. It was my fault."

Ron stared at him, "Hey, I started the fight, mate."

"No, you didn't. I-"

Severus cleared his throat, effectively stopping the starting argument. "If you were under the impression that I have any problem with you two killing each other by roughhousing, you are sorely mistaken. I merely would have preferred if you had informed me about it first. Sit!"

Both boys looked at each other, and then sat gingerly facing Snape, ready to run away at the slightest provocation.

"Would you like some tea, Mr. Weasley?

"T-tea, Sir?"

Snape rolled his eyes, "Yes, tea, Mr. Weasley. Herbs? Boiled in Water? Maybe some sugar or honey?" Ron reddened.

Snape smirked, "I assure you Mr. Weasley, I am not going to poison it. In fact, Harry would be glad to make us all some tea. Won't you Harry?"

Harry, who was grinning at Ron's discomfort, scowled deeply when Snape looked at him. He wasn't ready to forget that he was angry with his Dad yet. He got up and stomped out huffing, leaving Ron alone with Snape.

Ron's eyes desperately followed Harry leaving the room, and promptly proceeded to fall of his chair, holding his chest. Snape was now sitting in the chair in front of him. When had he managed to do that? Had he apparated from his chair behind the desk? And soundlessly at that? Creepy! And what in Merlin's name did that expression mean? Only the twins could hold such mischief in their eyes. Was he just imagining it? Ron looked at the Potions Master intently. Nope. Still the same expression. Ron narrowed his eyes. So the man enjoyed startling him. Well that wasn't news really. He had always known that Snape was a sadist. But oh well, never had he thought of it as mischief before. There was obviously a lot to Snape than he let on. He wouldn’t have believed it before this summer.

Ron grinned.

Snape smirked. He had followed all the expressions that crossed the boy's face and knew exactly what he was thinking. He said silkily, "So, you're not a dense as you like people to think, Mr. Weasley."

Ron shrugged, "And you're not as scary as you like people to think, Professor."

"Really," Snape said dryly. The boy will pay for that. He abruptly pointed his wand at the Weasley boy making sure his expression was as vicious as he could.

Ron followed Snape's actions closely. Snape suddenly sliced his wand through the air making a whip-like sound and landed the wand on the boy's cheek. Almost.

The darned boy, on the other hand, kept staring at Snape calmly, not even flinching as the wand flew towards his cheek.

They sat staring at each other for a moment, Snape holding his wand, almost touching the boy's cheek, Ron staring calmly at Snape's expressionless face. "I knew you weren’t going to hurt me, Sir."

Snape raised his eyebrow, "If I had landed the wand on your cheek, it would have taken much more than Madam Pomfrey to patch you up, boy."

Ron smirked, "I told you, Sir. I knew you weren't going to hurt me."

Snape nodded curtly, feeling slightly annoyed. Wasn't anyone scared of him anymore? "I can still give you detentions, Weasley." Snape snapped, aggravated.

Ron laughed, "Yeah, that's scary!"

Snape snorted. And Ron sobered, "Sir, thank you for giving Harry what he had always wanted more than anything else in the whole world."

What was it with those kids? Harry was lucky to have such friends. Brave, loyal, and obviously intelligent. Both of them. Snape nodded acknowledging the thanks, "Mr. Weasley … Ronal … uh Ron."

Ron smiled. The man seemed to want to bite his tongue off calling him by his first name. "Yes, Sir?"

Snape leaned forward looking the boy in the eyes, trying to show the seriousness of his words, "As my son's best friend, I need you to promise me something. For Harry's safety."

Ron nodded, "I will promise you anything for Harry, Sir." Then on second thoughts, Ron added, "But I am not going to tell you if he breaks the rules or anything."

Snape rolled his eyes. Gryffindor Idiot! "I understand. Look Mr. … Ron. There will be times when I won't be able to be there for Harry as I am now. There might be times that I won’t be able to give him what he needs, times when I couldn’t give him any support, or take care of him. At those times, Harry will need you and Ms. Granger by him. Promise me Ronald, that you will be there for him. Promise me that he will find a true friend in you when he needs it. You have shown your true colors many times before. I know. He told me."

Ron felt confused. Was Harry in danger? Was something going to happen? Or did the man just mean that it would be difficult for him to be with Harry after school?

Ron felt proud. No one had put that much trust in him before. Not with such blatancy in any case. And for that person to be Snape, well that was unexpected.

Still, he felt grateful. That finally someone looked after Harry and made sure he was safe.

He nodded immediately, "I promise you, Sir,-"

"What did you promise?"

"Harry!" Ron jumped up, taking the tea tray from Harry. He scowled in Snape's direction, "Sn … er Professor Snape here made me promise that we won't break the rules in school this year as we usually do."

Snape was impressed. And to say that the Slytherins were the only professed liars. Ha!

Harry scowled at Snape. Then taking his cup, he went to sit on the couch. Snape, took his own cup, and catching Ron's eyes, he nodded his thanks to the boy, and went to sit beside Harry who deliberately continued to ignore him.

After a few moments, Harry snapped, "Rules are stupid."

Snape said sternly, "Rules will be followed."

The sound of the floo came from the hall. Snape looked up, "I believe, Ron that those are your brothers. Could you go and invite them to some tea in the kitchen till I call them?"

Ron couldn’t get out any sooner. He was starting to feel uncomfortable being in the room with Harry and Snape, when they obviously needed to be alone. But really what were his brothers doing in Snape's house?

Harry raised an eyebrow. Since when did Snape call his friend by his name? And what were Ron's brothers doing here? Harry shrugged, sipping his tea.

"Harry?" Snape's voice was soft.

Harry closed his eyes. How he wanted this to end. He wanted his Dad back. He wanted to go back to teasing and snapping and joking, but he didn’t know how.

Snape put his cup on the table, and took Harry's cup and set it on the table too. Then without a word, pulled Harry into his arms. Immediately, he felt Harry's arms latching around his waist, and he rested his cheek on the boy's head.

After a few moments, he whispered in Harry's hair, "I don’t know if apologizing would be enough, Harry. I am very new to this."

Harry buried his head in his Dad's chest, "I missed you."

"I was always right here. Harry."

"No, I missed this. I missed us. Let's not argue again, please. I don’t want to be angry with you again."

Snape tightened his arms around Harry, "I can't promise you that, Harry. Families do that all the time."

Harry smiled in Snape's shirt, "Yeah, I know. Ron told me."

That was just bloody wonderful. It seemed that he owed the redhead more than he knew.

"Your friend has a large and close family, Harry. He would know." Snape then pushed Harry a little and looked deep into his wide emerald eyes, "I can promise you this, Harry. Every time we have an argument, every time we get angry at each other, we will make up and everything will be alright again."

Harry smiled. And for Snape, the little brat's smile was like a thousand suns that brightened his heart. He laughed, "You little whelp. You're much more trouble than your weight."

Harry stuck his tongue out, jumping out of his Dad's reach.

"Get out, brat." Snape playfully growled. " I still have two rogues to deal with now."

"Oh, yeah. Why are they here, Dad?"

"And that’s your business, why?"

Harry rolled his eyes, "Oh come on. Tell me."

"Curiosity killed that cat, brat."

Harry sniggered, "I bet you wouldn't dare to say that in front of McGonagall."

Snape smirked, "Believe me, I did."

Harry laughed. He would have liked to see that. "So, aren't you going to tell me?"

"They are in trouble."

"Trouble? But, we aren't in school."

"Yes, but we had a deal. They went back on their side of the deal, and now they have to face the consequences. Now, go and send them to me. You can go out with Ron if you want to, but don't leave the neighborhood. And be back by dinner time."

Harry groaned good naturedly. "People would think I am 8 years old or something with the way you fuss."

Snape raised an eyebrow, looking menacingly at the boy, "I assure you that you wouldn't like what my 'fussing' would be like if you don't do as you're told, Mr. 8 years old."

Harry scowled, having a very clear idea about what Snape exactly meant, "Yes, Sir." And he left his Dad's study muttering 'evil vampire' under his breath.

Harry went out to the kitchen where Ron and the twins were having a hushed conversation. The twins looked more subdued than Harry had ever seen them, "Hey, what's wrong?"

The twins looked up, "Harry, is Snape very angry?" Fred, or was it George? asked.

"Not r-"

"No, tell us really, Harry. Did he glare much?"

"No, he-"

"Was he sneering?"

"He was-"

The twins gulped, "Oh, we're dead Gred," A twin wailed.

"We're so very dead Forge," the other answered.

Harry looked at Ron, who was looking back at him in bewilderment. Harry had to yell over the twins lamenting of their short lives, "Hey, HEY. He's waiting for you. And no, he wasn't glaring much, and he wasn't sneering. But he did say that you were both in trouble. I don't think he is very angry and oh, don't worry, I didn’t see any torture devices."

Both twins sighed in relief patting Harry over the head and shoulder. A little too hard for Harry's tastes though.

Harry grinned, "Oh, but of course, he still has his wand. Though you needn't worry, really. The lashing hex he is so fond of doesn't hurt for more than a few weeks. Oh, and I am sure he will heal you after he pulls off your nails."

Ron laughed at the twin horrified expressions that crossed their faces. They rushed towards Snape's study yelling over their shoulders, "That wasn’t funny, mate." "Yeah, we'll get you for that later."

As the twins disappeared inside the study, Ron and Harry caught each other's eye and rushed after them as quietly as possible. They pressed their ears against the door of the study trying hard to listen to what was happening inside. A moment later, the door was wrenched open. The only thing that kept the boys from falling to the floor was the iron grip that took hold of their ears.

"Ow Ow Owww Owww."

The grip did not relent until they reached the living room and were both unceremoniously dumped on the couch. Finally, releasing their ears, Snape fixed them with a terrifying glare that prompted both boys to shrink.

With a very stern voice that sent shivers down both their spines, Snape narrowed his eyes saying, "Consider this your only warning. Next time, I won’t be lenient." With another glare, Snape turned and walked back to his study closing the door firmly behind him.

Massaging his now very sore ear, Harry pouted. Ron was still patting his red ear and groaning. "Harry, I take back all I said. The git is right down wicked. Bloody hell! He has a very hard hand."

Harry snorted, "Yeah. Tell me about it." Then Harry looked at Ron intently. "Ron? Why are you taking all this is a stride? Why aren't you screaming bloody murder for what he did?"

Ron shrugged, "I don't know."

"You've changed, mate."

"No, I didn't," Ron squawked indignantly. "It's you, Harry. You have changed. You seem, well better I guess. You're …. comfortable and happy. And Snape, he's acting like … a father, really. A very strict one though, but still. He cares so much about you."

Harry stared at Ron for a few moments. "Okaaay. So who are you and what have you done with Ronald Weasley?"

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=925