The Painful Guardianship by Dina
Summary: AU - Finally Snape and Harry get to the “bottom” of things. A Snape adopts Harry Fic. The story starts by the end of POA and takes over from there. Contains spoilers to GOF and Ootp. The series involve spanking of children/teens. If you are not comfortable with this theme. Please do not read.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Deaging, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 31 Completed: No Word count: 152441 Read: 196541 Published: 15 Jul 2005 Updated: 23 Nov 2008
Chapter 5 - WHATTTT? by Dina
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own them (unfortunately), JKR does.

AN: This chapter contains a fair amount of angst!

Professor McGonagall helped Harry up saying, "Really Mr. Potter, you should watch where you are going. I am afraid that one of those days you will support a serious injury."

Harry was grinning broadly, face still flushed, and eyes dancing, "Sorry Professor," then took off again at top speed with McGonagall staring after him. As she turned around, she discovered that he was coming from the direction of Severus office in the dungeons. She could not imagine how would Harry James Potter, under any kind of circumstances, look so happy and excited after a meeting with Severus Snape.

Now, Minerva, contrary to general belief, maintains a very mischievous streak inside her. On various occasions, Dumbledore would find her in her office helpless with laughter at some prank or another that one of the students had done. That was of course after the thorough tongue lashing she has given the culprit accompanied by some loss of points, but as soon as the student leaves her office properly chastised, she simply collapses in her chair laughing till she is out of breath.

Minerva immediately went to Severus office. Although she could not guess what had happened, she was sure that whatever had made Harry that excited, Severus definitely had a hand in. She knocked sharply at the door before opening it and going in without waiting for Severus to invite her.

Severus who was sitting in the armchair with a cup of strong tea contemplating what had happened with Harry still feeling very amused at teasing Harry mercilessly, jumped at the sharp knock. Professor McGonagall walked without waiting for an invitation. The strict teacher was giving Severus a stern look, her lips thin and her nostrils flaring.

Again, contrary to general belief, Severus holds a very deep respect to his old teacher. And although she definitely did not have the effect that Dumbledore had on him, he held her opinions very high, but of course admitting something of the sort to her was out of question. Severus mind raced. What was it that he had done this time that made the Transfiguration Professor come to bite his head off for? Was it possible that Albus had told her about what happened yesterday and she came to give him a death threat if he does it again?

Minerva did not give him the time to contemplate more, she snapped at him immediately, "Severus! What exactly did you do to Mr. Potter? Honestly, you should have seen the boy coming out of your office, the expression on his face, what did you do?"

Severus could not believe his ears. He just stared at her shocked. He had to admit that his offer was surprising, but Harry was definitely excited about it. Severus dared even say that he was happy .. very happy to receive this offer. What could have happened, did he really misinterpret Harry's feelings? But Harry said very clearly that he agreed and whatever his feelings were at the time, he definitely was not offended.

Severus cleared his throat, "Minerva, I do not have any idea what you are talking about." Please please tell me that I did not force it out of the boy, tell me he did want it.

"Severus Tobias Snape, I need a thorough explanation of the state that Harry was in when he left your office. And you'd better start now."

With that she seated herself in the other armchair, crossed her arms and waited for what Severus was going to say. Looking at Severus face, Minerva felt a pang of guilt. Surly, Severus did not seem … miserable? Well, that was not what she expected. When she came in and started her rant, she expected Severus to act coldly as usual and to immediately embark on snapping a few snarky comments to which she will answer in kind for a few minutes before inviting herself to a cup of tea at his office to begin arguing with Severus about who will win the house cup. She definitely did not expect the potions master to be sitting in front of her again with a lost expression on his face,

"Minerva. I think I really messed up this time."

Minerva, now really worried, and still feeling guilty, "Severus, what's wrong? You know I was only teasing you."

Severus looked at her, not really hearing what she said, he continued, "I shouldn’t have done that. I should have given him more time."

"Severus, listen to me. I do apologize, I did not know that what I said will have this effect on you." Minerva then recounted to him what happened and how Harry was so excited that he bumped into her.

Severus then looked up, "He was? But .. you said, he was depressed and that –"

"I never said he was depressed. Actually I never really told you what his feelings were. I just asked you what have you done that made Harry in this state, and I did not mention what state he was in."

"You mean, you were only teasing me?"

"Yes"

"And what really happened was totally different than what you lead me to believe?"

"Yes"

"And I have actually fell for that?"

"Yes"

"I see." Severus took a deep breath and then very calmly said, "Minerva, you have exactly ten seconds … to leave my office before I commit a murder!!!"

Minerva, used to those type of death threats from Severus, let out a ringing laugh and leaned more comfortably in her chair. Severus was alarmed at how much this reminded him of Albus.

"OK Severus. Now that we set everything straight. Want to tell me about it?"

Severus too leaned back into his chair, raised his eyebrow, and crossed his arms, "Minerva, I believe I do not know what you are talking about"

"Oh, there is the charming Severus I know! Welcome back! So, I am all ears."

Really the nerve that Tabby has got!! Severus glared at her furiously. "If you really think that I am going to satisfy your curiosity, then you've got another thing coming!"

Minerva shrugged, "Well suit yourself Severus." With that, she stood up and slowly walked to the door counting under her breath to 10. As she opened the door (and reached number 7), Severus said, "Wait!"

"Yes?"

Severus mentally cursed. That manipulative woman, and they say Slytherins are devious, Ha …

"Would you like a cup of tea?"

"Oh, how nice of you to ask. Yes Severus I would like that very much." Minerva made her way back to her chair and sit back down with a very smug expression on her face.

This time, Severus did not bother to be annoyed, for he suddenly remembered that what he was going to tell her, will definitely wipe that smug expression out of her face for a very long time. He refilled the teapot he was using and conjured cups, calmly poured tea for both of them and gave Minerva her cup.

Severus sat back and calmly started telling Minerva the story since he saw Lupin sneaking to the Whomping Willow the night before.

***

Harry arrived at Gryffindor common room breathless. Ron and Hermione immediately jumped up as Harry collapsed on the first chair gasping for breath.

"You (gasp) would not (gassssp) believe!!!"

"Harry, What's the matter, what happened? Are you alright?"

"Harry, please don’t talk, just take your breath first."

After a few moments, Harry finally got his breathing under control and looked at them grinning broadly, "I will not spend the summer with the Dursley's."

"Whoppiee, that is great, so Dumbledore said you could come to the Burrow?"

"Harry, how come? I thought you were with Snape. What happened?"

"No, you don't understand, Snape said he wanted me to spend the summer at his house."

Harry looked at the faces of his shell-shocked friends and burst into laughter. "Hey, you two should see your faces now."

Hermione, retrieving her dropped jaw, was the first to talk, "Ummm, Harry, why don’t you start by telling us what happened."

Ron's reaction was predictably very different that Hermione's, after retrieving his jaw -that has obviously dropped to the floor – jumped up, "What do you mean spend the summer at his house. That … that slimy gi-"

"Ron, you are not helping," said Hermione who, despite being shocked to the core by the news, did not miss how excited Harry was about the whole thing. She then turned back to Harry, "listen Harry, we just want to know what happened, OK? So why don’t you tell us?"

Harry immediately starting telling them the story from the time he was walking around the grounds.

***

Snape, was now in a very difficult situation. He was sitting in his chair, with head and eyes moving left, right, left, right, following a quickly pacing Minerva. Snape has tried to make her sit down, tried to talk to her, but she totally refused. At first she jumped up and was about to lung at his throat when he told her about punishing Harry. When he was finally able to calm her down enough to continue with the story, and as soon as she heard his offer to Harry, she jumped up and started pacing back and forth. He could not do anything except following her with his head. He did not understand her reaction and he did not want to dig his grave deeper, by the looks of it she already has a grave ready for him. Yes, the Transfiguration Professor can very aggressive when she wants to.

Minerva, finally got tired from pacing and dropped back down unceremoniously in her chair. "Fine. FINE!"

This made Severus jump, "Really Minerva, you are not being reasonable with this at all."

McGonagall gave Snape a look that would have sent a group of seventh year students running into the forest. This look however, was only enough to make Severus shut up. He waited for her to say anything else until she finally said,

"Listen to me Severus, and you listen carefully!! If I ever hear that you have done anything to hurt Harry, and I mean ANYTHING, or to traumatize him in any way, if I hear that you continued to belittle him and berate him unfairly when he comes to your house, then Severus I will make sure myself that you wish you were never born! Am I understood?"

Severus looked at her for a moment before calmly saying, "Minerva, I think you need to better practice your threats. First, I know that whatever you would do to me will not be worse than anything I have experienced, and secondly, the number of times I wished I was never born are beyond my counting abilities, so nothing new there." Then seeing her glare, he quickly added, "But alright, I got your point. Fine!"

Minerva studied Snape for sometime before leaning over and looking Snape straight in the eyes, "Severus, promise me that you will take care of Harry."

"Yes Minerva. I promise you I will take care of Harry."

"Promise me you will be there for him."

"I promise"

"And that you will give him the care and guidance he needs."

"I promise you Minerva."

Minerva leaned back in her chair and said, "Alright Severus, I trust you."

Severus smiled. Damn, that is the second time I do it today!

"Minerva, I need a favor from you."

"Yes, Severus"

"I want you to be with me when I talk to Albus about it."

Minerva laughed, "oh don't tell me Severus, you do not want to go and talk with Albus alone?"

Severus scowled.

"Alright, alright, I will come with you of course. Would you like to go now."

"Yes."

With that, the two most strict teachers in Hogwarts left the dungeons on their way to Dumbledore's office.

***

Harry was sitting on his bed, knees held by his arms to his chest and head bowed. He had not thought of his friends' reaction before telling them, but whatever he expected, it was not what happened. Ron went berserk, he kept calling Snape names and in between he let out a lot of cruel comments about Harry being stupid and manipulated. Harry closed his eyes tight. He did not want to remember what Ron said. It hurts so much.

Hermione, on the other hand, was more understanding. She did not really approve of such a sudden change, but she was trying to discuss it logically. Although he was grateful that she did not rage as Ron did, he was still very irritated by how she handled it all. She was talking to him as one would talk to a four years old who could not make his own decisions.

He shouted at both of them not to follow him and ran to his dormitory, and pulled the curtains shut tight against his bed.

Harry shook his head. Less than an hour ago, he thought he was in heaven, that everything was going to be alright, that loosing Sirius was being compensated by Snape offering him his care. He was so sure that Snape's care was genuine, that he was honest with Harry. He was so happy. But now, he did not know what to think any more. This was just too much for him. He needed to talk to someone, and strangely enough, Snape kept coming to his thoughts. Oh God, he really needed him now, but how could he go talk to him again. He did not really care, right? He must have already changed his mind, that is if he had really meant it. Maybe Harry understood him wrongly. Harry kept replaying what happened in the office again and again, and replaying his friends words in his head again and again. No, that will not do.

Then it dawned on him. Professor Lupin. He wanted to go talk to him anyway and check if he is OK after last night. Yes, professor Lupin would understand, he was sure of that.

***

He got out of bed and slowly went out to the common room where Ron and Hermione were still there. They both jumped up and went to him and Ron started, "Hey Harry, I –"

But Harry was not ready to listen, "Please leave me alone." And with that he went out the portrait to the corridor. After making sure that neither Ron nor Hermione followed him, he walked to Professor Lupin's office.

As he entered, he found him in the middle of packing. He looked up at his professor's gentle smiling face in spite of all the wounds and scratches.

Harry's breath was caught in his throat, "Sir, you are leaving!"

Lupin sighed, "Yes Harry I am, you see –"

"But, but why? You cannot leave."

Something inside Harry cracked. He could not take it anymore. Stop, just stop, no more, NO MORE!! Harry dropped to the floor curling into a tight ball and burst into tears sobbing and rocking.

Lupin was shocked and was beside him in a flash, "Harry, Harry, what's wrong? Harry, please talk to me." Lupin tried everything he could with Harry, he talked to him gently. He rubbed small circles on his back, he stroked his hair but to no avail. Harry would not stop.

Harry's whole existence revolved around only one thing, crying. He cried for the parents that he could not remember, he cried for the years he spent with his relatives, he cried for all the beatings he got from his uncle, and all the slaps he got from his aunt, he cried for the years he spent being the entertainment for Dudley and his friends, he cried for the new fitting clothes that he never had, he cried for the toys he never got, he cried for the friends that he never had before Hogwarts, and the friends he had in Hogwarts who did not understand what he was going through, he cried for his godfather whom he thought was guilty, the years that his godfather spent wrongly accused instead of being there with him, and he cried for the godfather he lost the same day he found him, he cried for being stupid to believe Snape, he cried for loosing Lupin the only adult friend he has, he cried for the parent that he never had and never will.

By that time, Lupin feeling helpless had already contacted Dumbledore on the floo and was immediately pushed aside as a very worried Dumbledore, Snape and McGonagall jumped out of the fire place after hearing the wracking sobs and seeing Harry's state.

To be continued...
End Notes:

Ok my dear readers. It is time for the first answering session. I think I will do this every five chapters. The following points answer some of the most frequently asked questions from my dear reviewers.

1. English is not my first language. Arabic is.

2. The story is not slash, sorry.

3. Yes, Harry seems a bit younger than his age. I know this might be a bit difficult after seeing Harry's maturity through the last three books, but my personal opinion is that emotionally, Harry was really younger than his age. He did not experience enough emotional development that kids usually experience through love, care, and interaction. He was deprived of those. For me, he was a little boy with un-ripe emotional status and continued to be so until the end of the Triwizard Tournament, where he was forced into maturity by a traumatizing experience all of a sudden!

4. No Harry will not be de-aged in this story (though I LOVE all de-aged Harry stories. Harry must have been a very cute and funny little kid).

5. Snape will meet the Dursleys, definitely, and will be a memorial visit where he will … I am definitely not telling!!!

6. Yes the story will contain a lot of corporal punishment for Harry and others. But I promise that all CP incidents will not be forced within the drama. I hate it when other stories force unneeded spanking scenes in their stories.

7. I do not know yet whether I will include HBP in my story line. It is too early for me to decide on that.

8. Concerning the length of my chapters, yes I agree my chapters seem to be a bit short but this is for a few reasons. The most important of which is that I like so much where my chapters have ended so far. They have all seemed to me very good places to stop. Another reason is that I really like to update quickly so if the chapters are longer I will update slower. But definitely whenever a need arises to make a chapter longer I will do it.

Well that's it for now. Thanks again to all my readers and reviewers and please keep sending me your opinions. Love you all.



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=925