Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer:

Woolfy: Roses are red, violets are blue, the Characters belong to J. K. Rowling and you are a goon!

Preety-lady-serenity: Aww Woolfy, that was so sweet!

Woolfy: You are not mad at me?

Preety-lady-serenity: No, I’m not.

Woolfy ‘stomping out of the room’’: Oh yeah? Well – well –I hate you. Meeaaaniiee!

Preety-lady-serenity ‘checking fingernails with a smirk’: Always works!

Oh I have a beta and may I tell you she found my mistakes and gladly corrected them. Thank you very, very much DreamlikeCheese.

Now before you read MAJOR WARNING! In this chapter there is a hinting towards character death. Fear not, he is not Major, nor Human. Yet, as I am a writer that I consider my reader should be warned I do so.

Decisions and Revisions

The Monday of April’s third week proved, from very early in the morning, that the week was going to be very exhausting. Professor Severus Snape had started preparing himself for a period of time full of teenagers with jumbled nerves, for it was true that the NEWT examinations schedules had arrived. He, therefore, entered the Potions classroom that morning holding two packs of parchments that he placed on his desk. He approached the front-row seats, grasped a potions textbook from a student, raised it up so everyone in the classroom would see it and gave a rather loud ‘tut’ to draw everyone’s attention to his face.“Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a book. If you want to pass your NEWT exam, I suggest you open the book,” he proceeded by opening the book, “and start copying all the potions’ instructions I have asked you to mark from the beginning of the year until now. Such an action will ensure that you will be aware of how to brew every ‘essential’ potion required in order to pass the first part of your NEWT exam.”

He swished his wand in a halting movement and the parchments flew forward and placed themselves, one on each student’s desk.

“This is your NEWT exam schedule. As you can all see, the exam will take place in the second week of June – ten points from Gryffindor, Miss Granger. Squealing is not allowed in my classroom. And ten points from Gryffindor Mr. Weasley for such an improper use of the English language. Now, where was I? Ah yes, for the next seven weeks, I expect you to sleep, breath and savour potions – Miss Patil that was metaphorical, there’s no need to look disgusted.”

He paused for some moments to make sure that everyone’s attention was focused on him.

“A NEWT exam is a total of five hours, unlike the OWL exam which is three. But like the OWL exams, two hours are for essay questions and the other three are for you to brew potions. There is an hour-and-a half break between the written examination and the brewing one, for you to eat some lunch and then you can head straight back to the room assigned. Any questions? Yes Miss Bulstrode?”

“Why is it sir, that our NEWT exam is in two parts? Some NEWTs are linear, why not Potions as well?”

“It was, indeed, a fact Miss Bulstrode, that Potions NEWTs were linear some years ago. Yet the Ministry decided that Potions studies were too complicated, which resulted in a two-part exam to complete your NEWT. Now, you can’t complain that you are not spoiled, can you? To put an end to this chit-chat, I expect from everyone at least an ‘E’, unless you want to suffer my displeasure. Now for the last weeks, I have created mock Potions examinations that will help you practice.”

He drew a breath and swished his wand. The second pile of parchments zoomed forward and landed neatly on each student’s desk. Snape watched them raising the parchment to their faces and could barely control himself not to raise his eyes and snort as some students let out a giggle.

“As titillating and amusing as the thought of Combination Potions must be, I suggest you all start to act your age, at least while in my classroom. You shall practice on Combination Potions for the first hour.”

-)-)-)

Draco Malfoy was having a perfectly normal morning. It was the same, boring Monday morning until the numbers were drew out of the goblet. He controlled a sigh of unhappiness as his number landed with the number of the one person he really did not feel like working with. He kept staring at his cauldron full of steaming water, as she sat near him, without sparing a look for him.

Both Pansy Parkinson and Draco Malfoy were very uncomfortable, but also very thickheaded. Stubborn as they were, they did not speak much, throwing halting orders to one another when they found it necessary. For a whole forty-three minutes they seemed to be at least able to co-operate, until it was time for the powdered Kneazle’s talons to be added. Draco, who was stirring the cauldron’s contents as quickly as needed, reached out for the box of Kneazel’s talons and found his palm touching a rather delicate hand. Both hands retreated as if the box was burning hot. The blond teenager continued stirring.

“Oh come on Parkinson, we do not have all day. Powder those talons before we have an explosion,” he whispered with a huff.

Pansy glared at him, tossed the talons in the mortar and started powdering them.

“I need them now,” Draco ordered as he continued looking at the bubbling mixture.

“Here,” she spat out and threw the mortar’s contents into the cauldron.

Draco started stirring the liquid clockwise and as he did so he eyed Pansy, who had turned her back on him.

“Why haven’t you chopped the dragon’s spleen yet? What are you waiting for? A personal invitation?” he spat out.

“No, I am waiting for the one-who-is-not-a-proper-gentleman to pass it over, because it is on his side,” she whispered caustically.

Draco took the dragon’s spleen with his right hand and tossed it in front of Pansy. The spleen landed with an abrupt ‘splat’ and the girl wrinkled her nose in disgust. She took her dagger and started chopping it in equal small strips. She huffed as soon as she finished and placed it in the cauldron, making sure that she would step on the blond boy’s left foot in the process.

Draco Malfoy jumped up high from the pain and glared at the teenage girl with the corner of his eyes.

“You-Are-The-Most-Disagreeable-Woman-I-Have-Ever-Met,” he said in slow anger.

“And you are the most rude. A mountain troll is more polite than you,” she said coolly.

“Oh really? If that’s so, then you never should have accepted my offer to go to the Yule Ball together.”

“I was young and innocent back then,” she reasoned.

“Young and innocent? You?” he sneered. “Please, don’t offend my intelligence.”

She turned to face him. Her eyes were full of rage and her hands clenched tightly into fists.

“Were we out of this classroom, I would have given you what you deserve, Draco Malfoy,” she whispered angrily. “I am so happy we had that fight. Now I know who you really are!” she said slightly louder, not being able to control her rage.

“I am thrilled to have YOU out of my life!” he felt himself saying in the same tone.

“I AM MORE THAN THRILLED! I AM ECSTATIC!”

“AND I AM ANGRY BEYOND BELIEF!” Snape’s angry voice echoed inside the dungeons.

“BOOM!”

I hate Combining Potions!” Snape thought as a smelly brown liquid sprayed around the room. The other students, who for the last two minutes had been watching the two Slytherins’ verbal fight, got under their desks. Snape cast a spell on the room for the liquid to disappear and turned his attention to the two Slytherins. They were both dyed in the brown liquid which had started emitting a strong stench. Snape found himself sitting on the nearest seat and looked at everyone in exhaustion.

“Everyone, get out of the room this instant,” he said so slowly and dangerously that every student stood up immediately, grabbed their books and hurried outside. Only Pansy and Draco remained, looking at him.

“Mr Malfoy, your detention is postponed for another two weeks. Miss Parkinson, I want you in my office today at three. Now get out before I bite someone,” he growled and they both shot out of the room.

Snape looked around in exhaustion

This NEWT exam will be the death of me!”

-)-)-)

The small clock in Snape’s office dinged three times. A knock was heard that caused Snape to murmur a faint ‘Enter’. The black-robed man looked up as Pansy Parkinson entered his office.

“Miss Parkinson do sit down.”

The girl sat down opposite him. She sat still, waiting as her housemaster placed the piece of parchment he was correcting in a pile next to him. He looked at her and spoke softly.

“Tell me Miss Parkinson, what is the first rule for a properly behaved Slytherin?”

“Never letting emotions interfere with his or her work.”

“What did you, and Mr. Malfoy, do in my classroom?”

“We let our emotions interfere with our work.”

“And may I say it ended nastily.”

“Yes Professor, it did,” she said. Her voice could barely be heard.

Silence filled the room for a couple of moments.

“Miss Parkinson - Pansy. Are you all right?” he asked.

Pansy looked at the man she had spent so many years with, the man that for many months replaced her parents while she was at school. Every once in a while Snape would ask a student if he or she was alright, but he had never asked anyone in the manner he had asked her that afternoon. His usually cold, indifferent eyes had the tint of concern they always lacked and, for the first time in such a long time, Pansy Parkinson could not simply say the same old answer that had the phrases ‘I am all right’ and ‘Thank you.’

“No sir, I don’t think I am.”

Snape remained silent, looking at her with interest.

“You know Draco and I had a fight,” she let out a bitter chuckle. “The whole school knows we had a fight. I said I will not sign my name on the list because my parents are not Death Eaters. He got angry and we had a fight. But it is impossible for me to do it. There are more things at stake than he is aware of.”

She looked at the floor for a second but then she spoke as if she had recalled something important.

“Did you know that the Patil twins used to be my closest friends before Hogwarts? Our houses were next to each other. It was either me at their place or they at mine. And then, I was sorted to Slytherin. I was the first in my family line to ever be sorted into Slytherin. It took my parents two weeks to decide to send me a ‘Congratulations Dear’ letter. Even now, when we talk about school progress and my life here, I always have the feeling that the fact that I am a Slytherin sends shivers down their spines.”

She let out a sigh.

“My parents could never be followers of You-Know-Who and they were never courageous enough to go openly against him. I, on the other hand, might be a recruitment target. They know that! And I know that! I thought that if I return home, I will give my parents a chance to think of what to do if they approach us.”

“Miss Parkinson - Pansy, there are limited chances, hardly any chances, to refuse the Dark Lord and survive. I must also warn you that you have an extra reason to be in danger outside Hogwarts. You belong to a group of close friends that plan to refuse the Dark Lord and their families in a rather radical way. You are the perfect instrument for the Dark Lord to avenge them.”

“So if I leave Hogwarts, I will probably die along with my parents. If I stay, my parents die,” she whispered. She let out a hollow chuckle. “It might seem un-Slytherin to many but I just can’t stay here and let my parents die, sir.”

“I can promise you nothing Pansy, but I will talk to the Headmaster about your dilemma. If he finds a way to protect your parents, will you stay with us?”

Pansy gazed her housemaster with a mixture of apprehension, uncertainty and fear before giving a nod of agreement.

-)-)-)

“Ouch! It stings Sevvus,” the four year old Harry whined and then clasped his nose, “Poof! It smells bad too!”

“Now, now Harry there is no need to complain,” Snape said as he carefully rubbed the wound on Harry’s knee with a piece of cotton cloth coated with a pale violet colour and an acidic smell. “I told you that it was not wise to hop around a stone corridor, but you would not listen to me. Now you’ve got hurt and we have to disinfect it. It will be alright when I finish.”

“Okay,” the boy said in defeat as the man passed the cotton cloth slowly over his wound.

Snape finally lifted his left hand up, found the box of Band-Aids that rested on the sink and gave it to little Harry. The small boy looked at the package, opened it and took out the Band-Aid he wanted and gave it to the man. Snape looked at the big, rectangular band-aid that had a little owl painted on it. He was about to place it on the boy’s wound when the boy stopped him.

“Sevvus, you not kiss it better?”

Kiss it better?”

“Aunt Petunia always kiss Dudley’s hurt to feel better,” little Harry said seriously as if Snape was violating a rule he was supposed to be aware of.

Oh shit!” the man thought as the boy looked at him with a gaze which showed his expectation of a kiss. He let out a sigh, leaned down and brushed his lips on the boy’s wound, before sticking the Band Aid on.

It was, approximately, five o’ clock when Harry shook his guardian’s elbow, causing him to look up from the papers he was grading.

“Sevvus, the little hand on the five and the big one is on twelve,” Harry said pointing at the luminous clock on the wall. “You said I have to tell you when this happened.”

“Thank you Harry” Snape replied simply. His look changed to serious, nevertheless. “Harry – I need to pay a visit to Mr. Filch this evening. Do you remember Mr. Filch?”

“He is the angry man that makes vouzou-vouzou when it rains,” Harry defined Filch, causing Snape to control a smile.

“Yes, the angry man – ahem – Mr. Filch is very sad and I thought of paying him a visit.”

“Why is he sad?” Harry asked with interest.

“Because his cat is very, very sick and this makes him sad.”

Harry looked at the man and asked curiously, “Will his cat go to the sky like my parents?”

“Well, she might. That is why Mr. Filch is sad. It is like having a wound on his heart and he needs someone to keep him company. Anyway Harry, do you want to come with me or shall I ask Madam Pomfrey to look after you?”

“I want to come with you Sevvus.”

“Okay Harry, but you have to promise me to be really quiet around Mrs. Norris and Mr. Filch, alright?”

“Okay Sevvus.”

-)-)-)

Snape knocked on the door of Argus Filch’s office but received no answer at all. He knocked once again. Nothing.

“Filch – Argus, it is I, Professor Severus Snape. Can I come in?”

He heard a scrabble from the room and shortly after the door creaked open to reveal an Argus Filch that had two puffy, red eyes that matched a long red nose. He rubbed his left eye for a moment.

“Sorry for not opening Professor. Some obnoxious children found it appropriate to knock on my door and leave, today,” he said in a hoarse whisper. “Do come in, do come in.”

Man and child entered the small, windowless room. The lamp over the office shone dimly and the room smelt strongly of warm milk. The cabinets were all closed and the usually untidy desk was clear of all papers. On it, a little basket was placed and inside it laid Mrs. Norris. The cat had her eyes closed and she breathed heavily. She opened her yellow eyes slowly and looked at Filch with a gaze that, it was Snape’s impression, described her regret.

The caretaker sat on his chair and placed his hand on the cat’s skeletal body. The cat kept breathing heavily.

“She is dying Professor,” Filch said hoarsely, not moving his eyes from the animal. “I’ve feared for her downfall for the last two years. She is, after all, so old. Do you remember her when you first came to Hogwarts to teach? Such a beautiful little kitten she was.”

Mrs. Norris, Snape knew, was never a beautiful kitten. She had always looked skeletal and ugly to everyone, except Filch. But Filch had always been fond of her to the extreme. The professor knew that every single shred of love Filch could ever have in his heart rested on that cat. He eyed the boy to see whether the environment saddened him, but he found Harry sitting on the floor next to him and petting his toy.

The cat let out a sad meowing.

“Shhh my dear, it’s alright. It will end soon,” Filch petted the animal. “She was my closest friend, Professor. So bright and ready to find me. When she dies, I will leave this castle.”

“Where you will go?” Snape whispered, “Hogwarts is a steady place to live -”

“- Filled with too many people that simply tolerate me, but would love to kick my face. I don’t trust humans, Professor. They are all too cruel. My parents were cruel enough to disown me and throw me out of their house when they discovered I had no magical abilities. I struggled in the streets and I would not have survived if it wasn’t for Aberforth Dumbledore, who took me into Hog’s Head and then asked his brother to take me as a caretaker’s apprentice. I always wanted to leave Hogwarts. It was the place I always longed to attend, but fate wouldn’t let me. And a cat was always my only companion to help me survive the taunting of wizards. First it was Mr. Gluescome and then it was Mrs. Norris. Every time a cat dies, I go for a trip. I will return eventually – Now, now love, don’t you worry. Argus will not leave your sight,” he turned his attention to the cat, which let out a yowl of pain.

It wasn’t a visit Snape would love to do every day. Frankly, he would soon wish he had never visited. He sat in Filch’s office listening to Argus Filch’s gloomy ranting; feeling helpless to say a single word of consolation, for Snape was never good with words. He finally stood up to leave, gave Mrs. Norris a last petting stroke, patted Filch’s shoulder and mumbled that he would await his return to Hogwarts, even if no one else did.

He took the boy’s hand, but Harry left it softly and approached Filch. He put his hand in his pocket, and took out something that he had squeezed in his little fist. He placed it delicately in the caretaker’s hand. Argus Filch opened his hand slowly. In his open palm there was a Band-Aid with a cat.

“Sevvus says you have a hurt on your heart. This is for you to feel better,” he said shyly as he took Snape’s hand.

Argus Filch looked at the Band-Aid and then at the little boy. He gave a small nod, the first sign of thanks he ever gave to a magical child.

-)-)-)

“Come on Harry, time for bed,” Snape said and placed down the book he had been reading.

The boy, who was wearing his pajamas and playing on the floor near him, stood up and collected all his toys. He was, then, led to his bedroom, placed in bed and covered up.

“Sevvus,” the boy said as the Potion Master made sure he was covered with the blankets in the proper manner, “Mr. Filch – will he okay?”

The raven-haired man sat down on the edge of the bed. He knew it was a bad idea to take that child into Filch’s office. The visit had upset Harry.

Not that I care for Potter’s welfare now,” he immediately reminded himself, annoyed by the fact that the statement had started sounding more and more like an excuse after mischief.

“He will be all right, Harry. Maybe not soon, but one day he will be,” he whispered.

“Sevvus, do you think Mrs. Norris – she meets my mum and dad in the sky?”

“I don’t know. It might be possible.”

“Oh,” little Harry said, a little disappointed that Snape could not give him a more certain answer.

“Is that all?”

“No, Sevvus I want to ask. Did you knowed my mum and dad?”

Snape was taken aback by the question. He knew the boy’s parents of course but not in a way the boy would have liked.

“Yes, I knew who they were,” he finally answered.

“Can you talk to me about them?” the little boy asked in excitement.

Snape thanked Merlin the room was dark, for he was sure he had turned pale white with that question. He drew a deep breath.

“Harry – I am afraid… that I am not the proper person to talk about your parents, because…erm because…because I did not know them well.”

“Oh, okay,” little Harry said half-heartedly as he lay back. “I hoped you could say to me. Ankl Vernon and Aunt Petunia never allow me to ask about them.”

Snape left the room. He opened his book but seconds later he tossed it away from him. That boy caused him so much frustration and he could not understand why.

“So much for me having inner peace,” he thought with a growl. He looked at the moon outside and scowled. He drew the curtains abruptly, as he let out a desperate huff.

-)-)-)

“With all due respect Headmaster, but I think everyone in this room is biased,” Snape protested, almost loudly, as he hit the table’s surface with his open palm.

“I am sorry Severus, but there is nothing I can do,” Dumbledore said trying to calm the Potions Master, who glared at the rest of the Order’s members. The others stared back at him, a glint of superiority in their gazes.

Snape let out a snort of disgust.

“As you will then. I will give all of my students Veritaserum to ensure that they are all telling the truth, and they are not He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named’s spies.”

“You have to understand Severus,” Arthur insisted, “that we have to be absolutely certain about…”

“The discussion is over, Weasley,” Snape snapped in irritation. “I will do what you all require if it is to ensure my students’ safety. But I will not like it and neither will they.”

“As long as you do it,” Moody spoke, and eyed him in suspicion.

“Now, now,” Dumbledore interrupted before the younger man could answer back, “to another thing. How are things in Romania, Charlie?”

Charlie Weasley, who was called from Romania by Dumbledore, looked at the old wizard in uncontrollable satisfaction.

“Professor, I am glad to announce that your assumptions were correct. Hagrid is enthused with Norbert and the dragon obeys him. Imagine that! The dragon obeys him!”

Snape drew a breath of amazement as some cheers were let out by the younger Order members. Dumbledore had send Hagrid to Romania a week before Easter to see how Norbert reacted around him. To Charlie’s amazement the dragon not only remembered Hagrid, but he also responded as a dragon would do around his mother. He had let out a screech and lowered his head to see the half-giant’s eyes.

Norbert the dragon, of course, was by no means a pygmy-puff. He was vicious and uncontrollable around most wizards but it seemed that Hagrid could draw his attention with his voice. After some time Norbert would follow Hagrid’s orders to breath fire and in the direction the half-giant indicated. Hagrid learnt how to be stricter, but he could not help to defend the dragon and scold Charlie and his team for being ‘too strict’ with the poor animal and his ‘little friends’ as he would say.

It was magnificent to know that a dragon could take part in the battle against the Dark Lord. This would be very interesting indeed.

“…And you can expect Hagrid anytime this week. He promised to return after he finishes knitting that scarf for Norbert.”

Poor dragon, that is going to ruin his style,” Snape thought.

-)-)-)

Remus J. Lupin sat on the couch and held his cup of tea. He took a sip and raised his head to look at the man opposite him, hoping that he could do it in a discreet manner. Lupin had been sitting opposite Severus Snape for the last seven minutes. Molly Weasley had insisted no one would leave the meeting without having dinner, Snape included. As most members were engaged here and there, Lupin had found himself in the same room as Snape, both drinking cups of tea.

Their eyes met and Snape scowled. Lupin looked at his cup before taking a sip.

“Lupin –“

Lupin looked at the other man, not sure whether he had actually heard his name in reality or if it was a product of his imagination. Snape seemed to be passing his tongue over his teeth, inside his closed mouth. He bared his teeth for a second and then shot Lupin a piercing gaze.

“Lupin – I was wondering – “

He stopped. Lupin thought he saw Snape shifting uncomfortably in his seat.

“I was wondering whether – “Snape drew a breath and for a moment it seemed as if he was going through a painful ordeal, “Whether you – “

Oof why is it so difficult? I must like that boy a lot to ask – oh dammit, I can not even say it to myself,” the man thought desperately.

“CanIaskyouafavour?” Snape asked quickly.

Circe I hope he heard the question because I am not asking again.”

Remus Lupin would have been less surprised if Snape had entered the room and declared his endless, undying love for Umbridge. He shuddered with the thought. He remained speechless, looking at the black-robed man as if he had sprouted an extra head, until Snape could stand it no more.

“What!”

“Oh – I am sorry Severus – I was taken aback” Lupin commented sincerely, “What for?”

“Ahm… Potter – Harry had been wondering about his parents and I was…”

“I will be glad to!” Lupin replied immediately, “It will be truly my pleasure.”

“Well… emm… all right then. I’ll just go get him now, shall I?” Snape said slowly and got outside the room.

-)-)-)

“You are really my mum’s and dad’s friend?” Harry asked.

“Yes. Your father was one of my closest friends, and your mother was a dear friend of mine as well,” Lupin replied, allowing the boy to sit on his lap.

“How did mum and dad meet?”

“They both met at Hogwarts and we were all in the same house, Gryffindor. At first your mum and dad were not friends, but then they started to like each other and they got married.”

“Can you say a story of them?” Harry asked enthusiastically, “Bibi would love to hear one.”

“Oh yes, in fact I can…”

The man started to tell stories to Harry. Most included the boy as well, while others described funny incidents from their years in Hogwarts. Harry would listen in excitement and throw questions one after the other. Suddenly, however, the boy’s eyes darkened.

“Unkl Remus,” he said, making Lupin feel proud of this new nickname, “mum and dad love me?”

“Of course they did Harry. They loved you very much.”

“Them why do no take me with them in the sky?” he asked “Did they no want me with them?”

“Harry, your mum and dad loved you very much,” Lupin answered seriously and looked the little boy in the eyes, “And I am sure that now, in the sky, they watch you and miss you very, very much. The reason they did not take you with them is because they loved you too much.”

“Ah?” Harry asked in confusion.

“Well Harry, think of this. If your mum and dad had taken you with them, you would have never met Ron and Hermione, or me, or Bibi…”

“No Sevvus too!” Harry added immediately.

“Yes. And now you will have all those friends that you will never lose.”

“Even if I go to the sky one day?”

“Even if you go to the sky one day.”

Harry looked around to make sure no one else was listening to him, aside from Remus.

“Ankl Remus. I like Sevvus thiiiiiissss biiiiig” he said and stretched his hands “He is plays at me and takes care at me and he is very smart, but you know answers more easily,” he said with a smile. “But do no tell him. He might get sad,” he added seriously.

Chapter End Notes:

^_^ Please review!

Author Notes (PLEASE READ AFTER YOU FINISH THE CHAPTER)

1. I looked up in every book and the Harry Potter Lexicon and I found out that Pansy Parkinson’s parents were never mentioned as Death Eaters. Adding to the fact that she and Parvati are in a first name basis during their first week in the first year on Hogwarts gave me the idea that they might know each other from before

2. Sorry for making Mrs. Norris dying but from the book and her descriptions, and the facts that I own cats since I was 3, she reminds me of a cat of a very old age. And normal cats do not live long (as Rowling said, Mrs. Norris is not a Kneazel, not half-a-Kneazel).

3. I don’t know about you people, but I always felt Norbert, the dragon has much more value than just a simple plot-device for Harry getting detention. I am still betting the dragon is returning in Book 7. What about you? I would love to know what you think.

4. I thought it was about time someone talked to Harry about his parents. I am sure that the Dursleys never did a good job when it came to Harry’s upbringing, so tales about his parents should have been quite horrible, if he was ever allowed to ask.