Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own JK Rowling’s world or plotlines. I do own my own plotlines and since this is being written about things JK has not yet published, most of the plotline is mine. However, my brilliant sister inspired the story, and I lovingly thank her for her contribution.

A/N I jumped about a week ahead. I decided there was no need to go into the intricacies of his training yet, but please know that he has been working at it since leaving #12.

Chapter Eight: Password

The simplest test in the world is to check a raw emotion. Anyone playing a part will never catch the meaning in time. And if they do, then they must have worked rather hard on the character, and they deserve to trick you.

-Harry Potter

Harry Potter sat down heavily on his chair for a few moments respite having casting spells constantly at magical foes for the past two hours. The summer sun was falling and was reflecting off the glass in the window, making it nearly impossible to see in that direction. He waited, breathing heavily, wishing for a glass of water, but too exhausted to bother transfiguring something.

In the silence he could count his own breaths and hear his own heartbeats. For a few moments he was content merely to sit, hearing that he was, if nothing else, still alive, but finally he stood and read back over a page in the books given by Snape. Upon opening them and discovering that they were Dark Magic, he had begun to fly through them, and was about to begin the second Volume.

His hands flipped past the last pages, but hesitated over a small note in the Appendix.

--Concerning Extemporizing and Invention--

The spells noted in this Volume are of the most valuable and most dangerous type. A small mistake will have deadly if not disastrous results. Be advised that when forced to create new spells or add a variation old ones, it is safest to do so when completely free of distraction. Despite the many dangers, the time may come when you will be forced to go against the advice of this author. In this case, my only recommendation, and the only advice I can give is that you truly have your heart behind it. Whether the spell heals or kills if it has not been previously studied, emotion may save you.

Harry snorted. In a time of crisis, the only time he might need to create a new spell, there would certainly be somewhere around four dozen distractions. But despite the implausibility of the statement, he filed it into his mind with everything else, and continued reading.

As with most spells Wizards and Witches are capable of executing, the form of Magic studied in these books may be enhanced by using a focus. Wizards commonly use a possession of a loved one, or a photo. However, the use of a Blood Stone[Volume 4, chpt 14, pg 476] or a piece of Tear Glass[Volume 3, chpt 18, pg 743] can increase the ability of the Wizard to move his spell farther.

Shaking his head, Harry scolded himself for wasting time on a series of babble that was of no use to him. He prepared to go another round with the enemies he created, but a flap of wings outside his window announced the coming of the weekly post.

The first owl flew in, depositing a large stack. It seemed that the Order had consolidated there shipping. Two more owls entered, clearly from Ron and Hermionie.

He tore into the letter from Hermionie, but it was merely an update as to her state of living, which was, for once, tolerable; she was with her family for a short time.

A letter from Moony didn’t say much more than that he was still in recovery from the combined effects of the moon and the spells along with the potion given to him so mercilessly by Snape.

Growing impatient with the useless messages, he grabbed Ron’s.

Hey Harry-

Guess what! I–

“BOY! GET DOWN HERE NOW!!!” Vernon’s merciless bellow echoed, even through the closed door. With a sigh, Harry sat down Ron’s letter and moved to the top of the stairs.

“What?” He shouted in response.

“WHAT IS BLOODY WRONG WITH YOU? WHY DO YOU THINK I WANT TO TALK TO YOU? GET DOWN HERE, NOW!”

Grudgingly, but not wanting to further upset an already unstable man, Harry walked to the door to see Vernon holding it shut and shaking in his burgundy rage.

“Yes?” He said emotionlessly. Thanks to the wand rights, his fear for the Dursley’s had diminished.

“Why, may I ask is there a………a one of YOU on my doorstep?”

“There is?” Harry said suspiciously, “What did they look like?”

“He was wearing ROBES!”

“Lovely, Uncle that is highly useful, after all there is only one person in the whole world that wears robes and would want to talk to me, therefore that piece of information has fully clarified the situation. Thank you.” Harry’s voice was dripping sarcasm. “Move Uncle, I will look myself.”

He drew his wand and stepped to the eye hole.

“HOW DARE YOU THREATEN ME WITH THAT THING!”

“Uncle I am not threatening you, now please step back.” He looked through the hole and saw a tall lanky boy with flaming red hair and a tiny owl on his shoulder. “Ron.” He said as he opened the door.

His friend stepped inside and waited while a wand was held to his heart. “What happened beneath the school?”

“You and I went with Lockhart to find my sister, he was a prat, but after the cave in, caused by my broken and spell-o-taped wand, you were separated and saved her after killing a basilisk and fanging a diary.” He waited for another question.

Harry decided on a whim to try something. “Hi Hermionie.” He said as though she was walking up behind Ron.

Ron’s face lit up and he turned around quickly, shouting, “’Mionie!” When he turned back with bright red ears, he said, “Nice test. And so you know it doesn’t mean anything. Do you believe who I am now?” Harry nodded. “Good. How’re you doing Harry?”

“Pretty good, do you want anything to eat, Ron? Drink?”

“Biscuits and tea I think.”

“Good plan. Come on in.”

“Don’t we need to go to the kitchen?”

Harry just smiled and shepherded his friend up the stairs.