Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Printer The print whole story view may not work for longer stories.
[Reviews - 206] starstarstarstarstar
Summary: AU. Harry is Sorted into Slytherin and Snape is confronted with some disturbing realizations.

Takes Place: 3rd summer Chapters: 12
Snape flavour: None Completed: No
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Genres: Angst
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry Word count: 49313
Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Other, Petunia, Ron Read: 74306
Rated: T
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Series: None
Challenges: None
Published: 24 Apr 2006 - Updated: 12 Sep 2006
Awards: Past Featured Story
Table of Contents

1. Chapter 1 by lesyeuxverts [Reviews - 38] starstarstarstarstar (4202 words) Printer

Usual disclaimers apply, none of this belongs to me, etc. etc.

This was meant to be just a short one-shot but then the plot-bunny wouldn't let go of me ... though I'm not sure if I'll be continuing it past this ... let me know what you think.

Anyhow, this is set in Harry's first year. Imagine that Hagrid didn't tell Harry that all Dark Wizards come out of Slytherin, and imagine that the Dursleys were just a little bit more abusive than in canon.

2. Chapter 2 by lesyeuxverts [Reviews - 17] starstarstarstarstar (3855 words) Printer

The usual disclaimers about how none of the characters etc. belong to me still applies.

Thank you all for the wonderful positive reviews and encouragement; this chapter literally wouldn't have been written without you. I hope that you continue to enjoy this story.

3. Chapter 3 by lesyeuxverts [Reviews - 20] starstarstarstarstar (4089 words) Printer

If I owned Harry Potter or any of the characters, places or ideas that you recognize here, I wouldn't be writing fanfic, I'd be writing the real thing... obviously none of this belongs to me.

I hope that I kept Snape relatively IC here. I know that Harry is rather OOC but he's a frightened child because he was abused by the Dursleys, and he thinks that by studying he can please his Professor ... and be allowed to eat. Let me know though, if you think I've made him too needy and desperate or too studious - I don't want him to be too OOC.

Also I haven't quite decided what to do about Draco - should he be a spy for his father or should he be trustworthy? Please leave a review and tell me what you think.

4. Chapter 4 by lesyeuxverts [Reviews - 10] starstarstarstarstar (5105 words) Printer

You already know that none of the characters, places, ideas, etc. in this story belong to me. If I was creative enough to come up with ideas like this, I'd be publishing actual books and not fanfics.

I found this chapter a bit hard to write and I'm afraid that Snape might have gotten a bit soppy toward the end. He's still vacillating a bit and trying to be evil, but his better instincts are reforming him. I hope you guys don't think he's too OOC.

Popular vote had Draco as being good, and upon reflection I have to agree. Harry's going to need all the help he can get, poor boy. On the other hand, I've probably left Draco totally out of character - don't hate me for it, okay?

5. Chapter 5 by lesyeuxverts [Reviews - 15] starstarstarstarstar (4463 words) Printer

The usual disclaimers of course apply, because I am not brilliant and talented enough to be capable of inventing the Harry Potter universe and therefore own nothing.

Let me note that of course Severus’s reaction is wrong, because child abuse should of course be reported to the proper authorities. It’s so frustrating when characters develop minds of their own and insist on doing things their own way, but Severus is adamant on doing it the Slytherin way and I just couldn’t convince him otherwise. I’m only letting it slide because Harry really isn’t in danger from the Dursleys right now and of course Severus will protect him.

Thanks for all of the wonderful reviews – they’re the reason why I’m still writing this.

Additionally, I’d like to dedicate this chapter to my friend Steph, who’s going in for surgery on Monday – I know it isn’t much but it’s all I can do for her when we live so far away.

6. Chapter 6 by lesyeuxverts [Reviews - 14] starstarstarstarstar (4264 words) Printer

I’d say that the Harry Potter universe is going to belong to me as soon as blue pigs learn how to fly … but the last woman I knew to say that was presented with a plastic, winged blue pig to hang from her ceiling. I also know better than to downplay the possibilities offered by genetic engineering, because making a winged blue pig is only one step away from putting pesticide resistance genes in corn or cloning sheep, right? … Nevertheless, Harry Potter and his friends don’t belong to me.

Thanks to everyone who has reviewed – you’re my encouragement to keep writing. Of course, I also have nothing better to do with my free time this summer, so that may play a large part as well.

7. Chapter 7 by lesyeuxverts [Reviews - 8] starstarstarstarstar (3848 words) Printer

Nothing in the Harry Potter universe belongs to me and after extensive therapy I’ve finally accepted the fact, though not enough to make me able to resist playing with the characters.

This chapter contains events that I’ve wanted to write out for a long time now, only Harry and Severus were being stubborn and wanted to work through some other issues first, the silly boys. I hope you like it and please drop me a review to let me know if you did or not. Honestly, I’d love some constructive criticism … I like the fact that I get so many positive reviews and they do inspire me to write, but I really need to know what I can do better.

8. Chapter 8 by lesyeuxverts [Reviews - 8] starstarstarstarstar (4259 words) Printer

Disclaimer: The closest I have ever been to owning Harry Potter was a visit to Scotland, but I don’t think that breathing in air molecules that had some small probability of entering J.K. Rowling’s bloodstream instead of mine is going to magically transform me into her.

I know that I’ve got Narcissa quite out of character, but I need a nice Narcissa for the plot, there’s just no avoiding it. (Bonus points to anyone who can guess the favor that Severus will ask of Narcissa.)

Thanks to everyone who has reviewed last chapter and continually encouraged me to update. It’s hard to feel motivated to write or do anything productive in this awful summer heat, but your reviews and support definitely help. (Hint, hint.)

9. Chapter 9 by lesyeuxverts [Reviews - 6] starstarstarstarstar (4729 words) Printer

If I ever wake up one day and somehow discover that I own any part of J.K. Rowling's work- rest assured, I will change all

of my disclaimers and y'all will be the first to know. Until then, it is not mine and unlike some lucky people, I do not make a profit from it.

I promised myself that this chapter would be Halloween and it just didn't happen ... next chapter, honest to goodness this time. However, I feel it only right to warn you that it may take me quite some time to post anything - I'm working on an exam all through August and while I will try to make some time for writing, I can't guarantee anything. Updates will be posted periodically on my livejournal.

Thanks so much to everyone who has reviewed this story - I really appreciate your encouragement and kind words. The tender moment at the end is for everyone who wrote to say that Sev had better come to grips with reality and give up his stupid idea of revenge - hope you like it!

10. Chapter 10 by lesyeuxverts [Reviews - 12] starstarstarstarhalf-star (3674 words) Printer

As always, the universe created by JKR and all that she has imagined therein does not belong to me and never will.

This was a difficult chapter to write so I hope you’ll excuse the delay. My Muse had to force me to write some bits of it – being threatened by your Muse is a very traumatic experience, I can assure you. I have actually included some events from canon in this chapter, and others I have mangled almost beyond recognition.

Major warning for angst this chapter – please don’t hate me for the ending. I will update as soon as possible, I assure you, and make everything better, but it’s getting harder to write as much as I’d like since I’m studying for my PQE.

11. Chapter 11 by lesyeuxverts [Reviews - 23] starstarstarstarstar (5714 words) Printer

Disclaimer: I own nada, zilch, rien, of anything even remotely associated with the wonderful Harry Potter. I am indebted to the HP Lexicon for the calendar showing me the correct day of the week for Halloween in Harry's first year - otherwise the timeline would have come out funny.

AN: This was a really difficult chapter for me to write, especially given the spate of reviews that hit after the last chapter. I do appreciate hearing everyone’s opinion, however negative or positive it may be, and I’d be really happy if you’d let me know what you think about this chapter as I’m feeling quite insecure about it right now.

There’s quite a bit more profanity in this chapter than there has been in previous chapters – mostly Severus saying “Damn, did I screw up!” – I’ve indicated that this is PG-13 but I’m not sure if I need to change that. I find it quite hard to remember how much profanity I used when I was that age, or to reconcile that with how much children curse nowadays. I’m really not so good with understanding the distinctions between ratings and why certain things are rated the way they are, so if anyone has an opinion about this, please let me know.

Sorry, I hate long author’s notes too, but I have just one last thing to say: I know I said it last time, but I was overcome by weakness and succumbed to the addiction of writing and receiving all the reviews from y’all – this time I am quite serious when I say that updates are likely to be sporadic if not non-existent throughout the month of August. No amount of reviews or pleading will change my mind, honest – I want to stay in grad school, I really do. I’ve written you guys a relatively long (by my standards at least) chapter that doesn’t end quite as horribly as the last one … so please please please be understanding of the fact that it’ll be a bit of a wait for the next update.

12. Chapter 12 by lesyeuxverts [Reviews - 35] starstarstarstarhalf-star (1111 words) Printer

Disclaimer: I still own nothing.

AN: Well, I know I've made you all wait for this, and I really appreciate your patience and all of the reviews that you left me during this hiatus. I will answer all of your comments, I promise (it may take me awhile but it will be done!) and I will try my utmost to make sure that you don't have to wait so long for Chapter 13, okay?

This chapter was really hard to write. Severus didn't like all of the sentimentality and sappiness that I was forcing him through, and he retaliated by poisoning my Muse. (Okay, not really. It was just really hard to write ... maybe because there's something that resembles a plot?) But seriously, I am fretting that he's slipped into OOCness here - so please please please leave me a review and let me know what you think of this chapter? I know that the shameless begging gets old after awhile ... but reviews feed my muse and concrit helps me write the next chapter better. :)

To be continued...
lesyeuxverts is the author of 10 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 130 members. Members who liked Savior also liked 1601 other stories.

Disclaimer Charm: Harry Potter and all related works including movie stills belong to J.K. Rowling, Scholastic, Warner Bros, and Bloomsbury. Used without permission. No copyright infringement is intended. No money is being made off of this site. All fanfiction and fanart are the property of the individual writers and artists represented on this site and do not represent the views and opinions of the Webmistress.

Powered by eFiction 3.5