Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Number Twelve Grimmauld Place

The next morning when Harry woke up he didn't feel much better than he had the night before. At least his legs no longer felt all cramped up; it was nice to be able to stretch out in a big soft bed. Harry was still very tired, but it was hard to sleep, especially knowing he was lying in Sirius' bed. Sirius, Harry thought as his stomach twisted. Feelings of guilt, sorrow, and pain built up in his chest. I will find away, I must find a way to tell him I'm sorry.

Getting out of bed Harry quickly threw on his robe. He didn't bother dressing, nor did he comb his hair. It didn't seem to matter anymore; Snape had seen him at his worst. Groaning Harry thought about Snape, he's seen so much. Me in the cupboard weak and defenseless and then later crawling all over the floor like some sort of baby.

Slipping on his shoes, Harry left the room. Once on the ground floor Harry heard more voices than he expected too. He started to descend the stars to the basement, but stopped just out of view.

"It was a good thing you weren't seen Severus, charging in there to save Harry yourself," lectured McGonagall. Snape said some sort of response, but Harry couldn't make it out.

Instead someone else was talking loudly, "In the cupboard! He was in the cupboard." Harry recognized the voice- it was Mad-Eye Moody. Anger welled up inside of him, how dare Snape tell them that! I never told anyone about what my dad did. "You can't stop me from going down to chat with that worthless excuse for an uncle."

"Now Alastor," Harry could visualize Dubledore's twinkling eyes as heard the man speak, "There is no time for vengeance, Harry is safe now. That's all that matters."

All that matters? Harry thought. Let Mad-Eye go, Vernon deserves as much. Harry was tired of Dumbledore thinking everything was swell and dandy. It didn't matter that he suffered at Privet Drive. As long as Harry was alive and well, he was supposed to fight in this stupid war. Harry Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived and Lived and Lived and Lived. But what kind of life was this? His parents were dead, Sirius was dead, even Cedric Diggory was dead. And it was his fault, all so that Famous Harry Potter could live.

He felt so overwhelmed; the pain of their deaths seemed to consume him. His body started to shake uncontrollably. He didn't want to be part of it any longer, he wanted to run away and hide, change his name, to be an ordinary wizard. But that could never happen, Voldermort would never stop. Neither one can live… while the other survives

"Poor boy, are you sure Harry can't stay with me," Molly Weasley asked.

"No, he'll stay here, it's safest that way," Dumbledore responded.

They all sat discussing him, like he was some little child. Harry was getting tired of it. Still shaking, Harry reached down into his pocket and pulled out his wand, he didn't know what he was doing. He just wanted to forget everything; he just wanted everyone to shut up about it.

"But all by himself," Molly protested, a look from Dumbledore must have quieted her.

"Potter is sixteen, he hardly needs to be coddled," interrupted Snape. Harry could hardly believe his ears, of all people to speak up for him. "Besides, I've been able to remove that horrible old portrait and that foul little house elf. Now that Black is dead, many of house's old spells have died with him. He was the last of the Blacks. Of course I never did see him try to remove the spells himself. Perhaps he was unable, but didn't want to say anything-"

That was all Harry needed to hear, suddenly, all his emotions turned to anger. How dare Snape talk about Sirius' death that way! He sounded pleased with himself. He wanted to put Snape in his place, the sniveling little weasel. All he could think to do, was the spell he'd seen his father do. Harry burst into the room, pointed his wand in Snape's direction, and before anyone knew he was there he started to say, "Lev-." But he couldn't do it; Snape's face didn't look menacing. All at once he remembered Lily's reaction, mum told dad to stop. Harry saw the others all turning to look at him; it was like they were in slow motion. "L… Lumos," he finally muttered.

They all looked dumfounded. Harry realized how ridicules he must look, bounding in the room still in pajamas. It was Dumbledore who spoke, "Harry, what's the matter?"

"I.. I," he tried to think of an excuse, his glowing wand was still pointing directly at Snape. Lowing his arm he said, "I thought I saw something that's all." Snape didn't look convinced; maybe he knew what I was going to do… "Nox," Harry commanded and his wand extinguished itself.

"Please sit down Harry," Dumbledore said, motioning towards a chair.

As Harry walked over to sit, Molly Weasley leapt across the room. "Harry, you look awful," she said, her voice full of worry. "You look like you haven't eaten or slept in months." She wrapped her arms around Harry in a tight embrace, "Poor dear."

Harry pushed himself away, but it was Snape who rescued him by saying, "Perhaps you could make Potter some breakfast." Molly didn't need anymore persuasion; she got up and started preparing the meal.

Harry sat down at the table and so did the others. Harry looked around the room, there were fewer people than normal Order meetings, only Professor Dumbledore, Mr. Weasley, Professor McGonagall, Alastor Moody, and Professor Snape were present.

After everyone was settled in Dumbledore began to speak, "Now Harry, we were just discussing your living arrangements. It's simply not safe enough for you to return to the Dursley's." Harry just remembered them, he never thought to ask how they were doing, did the werewolves hurt them? Dumbledore continued on, "Nor do I believe that you would be safe at the Weasley's, for now you need to remain in an unplottable location. But if you would like, Molly has volunteered to stay here and take care of you."

"No thank you," Harry blurted out.

"Well he shouldn't be here all by himself, just look at him Albus," McGonagall interjected.

"Someone will come in to check on you from time to time," Dumbledore said in such a manner that Harry knew there was no point in arguing.

"Not that I'm complaining," Harry asked sheepishly, "But why can't I go back to the Dursley's. Are my Aunt and Uncle okay?"

"They are currently at St. Mungo's," explained Dumbledore, "but we can't tell what's wrong with them. They don't seem to be physically harmed, but they haven't spoken a word since."

"Perhaps they're just shocked," Harry suggested. "I mean did they see the werewolves. Muggles aren't accustomed to seeing them you know."

"The werewolves didn't go to your house Harry," said Dumbledore.

"What, but-"

"Potter, don't you remember," Snape said, "after you screamed they tried to follow us." Harry remembered screaming, but at the time he didn't think any sound had come out. And then his forehead hurt, remembering the pain Harry reached up to touch his scar.

"Harry, does your scar hurt?" asked Dumbledore.

"No, not right now, but at the time it did. When they looked at me…" Harry shuddered at the memory. How they stared at him, the feeling of their gaze, it was so awful. The adults all exchanged looks of curiosity. Harry wanted to change the subject; he didn't want to think about the werewolves anymore. "Where's Hagrid," he blurted out.

"Hagrid is currently working with the giants," Dumbledore explained. He slipped back into his professor-like voice, giving Harry the distinct perception that Dumbledore was leaving out half of the details. "He is trying to persuade some of them to join our cause."

"Why is he doing that," Harry asked. "What difference does it make?"

"We are trying to bring as many people to our side Harry, to draw them to our cause. It may make all the difference."

Suddenly Harry remembered Lupin and began speaking very quickly, "How's Professor Lupin? You were looking for him… Where is he? Why isn't he here? Is he with the were- was he with the other werewolves?"

"Professor Lupin is well," Dumbledore responded. Harry waited for him to continue speaking, surely he would give Harry more details than that.

Harry tried to think of some other questions, to pull more information out of Dumbledore. But before he could, Molly walked over with steaming platters full of pancakes, sausages, eggs, and ham levitating behind her. With another flick of her wand, dishes jumped out of the dresser and landed in front of them. Order members quickly filled their plates and began to eat. At first Harry was a little slower than the others were; he didn't feel much like eating. But Mrs. Weasley just watched him, it was like she was ready to hand feed him, if need be. Snape was the only one who didn't eat, he suddenly busied himself by reading some big book, and Harry couldn't make out the title on the dark leather binding.

After they were done eating, everyone gathered up their things to prepare to leave. Harry tried to approach Dumbledore, he wanted to question him some more about Lupin, but obviously the old man was avoiding him. Molly however, started to hover around Harry, like she was ready to cling to him in protest rather than leave the poor boy alone.

"Perhaps you could clean yourself up a bit Harry," Mr. Weasley suggested. "Then Molly could be a little bit more comfortable about leaving you here."

Nodding Harry left the room and went back upstairs to shower and dress. He got a fresh change of clothes out of his trunk and then went into the bathroom. Looking into the mirror Harry could see why Mrs. Weasley was so worried about him. He did look skinnier than normal, his face was pale and there were dark circles under his eyes. His hair looked wild and his pajamas were a wrinkled mess. I must have looked absolutely mad, thought Harry, giggling to himself, barging in there and saying Lumos.

Harry showered quickly; he wanted to show Mrs. Weasley he was okay. He had plans, after everyone was gone he would search the house. Sirius' had quite an extensive library, perhaps he possessed a book or something that would give him clues about the veil. In any case, Harry could learn a lot more about Sirius and the Black family.

After he was dressed and his hair combed. Harry sprinted down the stairs, tah dah, Harry thought to say as he presented himself to the Weasleys. Dumbledore, McGonagall, Moody, and Snape were already gone.

"Well now Harry, I do say you look much better," Mr. Weasley declared.

Mrs. Weasley didn't look convinced, but Arthur had her by the arm and was pulling her to the floo. "Well Harry dear, on the counter there you'll find a plate of chicken and ham sandwiches, it refills itself. Oh and don't hesitate to floo if you need anything. I'll be at the burrow."

Mr. Weasley had a handful of floo powder in his hand and threw it down, "Burrow," he commanded.

He stepped into the fire, pulling his wife close behind, but Molly was still talking, "And do be caref-" And she disappeared from view.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

For a while Harry waited, unsure if he were actually alone. With all of the paintings removed, Kreacher gone, and most of the noticeable infestations taken care of, Harry was surprised just how alone he felt. It was exciting, so much freedom.

His first order of business was to explore the house, just how big was it anyway? When he was here the year before, he hadn't spent much time wandering around. Previously he had to tiptoe, afraid to disturb some painting. And then every room had been infested with some annoying beasts, but now he didn't have any worries.

On the first floor Harry inspected the drawing room. He doubted that the writing desk still contained a boggart, because the desk wasn't making any noise, but he didn't want to mess with it just yet. The tapestry showing the Black family tree was no longer there, instead a dirty outline showed where it once hung. That's odd, why would Snape think he needed to remove it? The glass fronted cabinets still held many of the dark artifacts, apparently some of them didn't want to be removed. Perhaps Snape wasn't as wonderful as he'd like to think he was, Harry thought. Harry tried to open one of the doors to get a closer look at a beautiful silver hand mirror, but the doors wouldn't budge.

Before leaving the room Harry walked over to the wall lined with shelves full of books. Some of them were so old the titles were worn off. He could probably spend hours thumbing through them, suddenly he thought of Hermione. Hermione would love looking through these books, if only he could ask Hermione help him research the veil. But he knew if he asked her she'd just owl Dumbledore, saying she was worried, and then he'd end up with Molly Weasley baby-sitting him.

Leaving the room Harry climbed the stairs to the second floor. He passed by the room he and Ron had stayed in, even if all the paintings were gone Harry still didn't want to go in there. All of the other rooms down the hall were similar to each other.

Climbing the stairs once again Harry decided to skip the third floor and go straight to the top. He went over to the largest bedroom, the one that used to belong to Mrs. Black. Harry wasn't too excited to see it, but he was hopeful that perhaps Buckbeak still lived there. Opening the door Harry was sad to see that the room was completely deserted.

Harry glanced down the hall; I suppose nothing much is left in this house anyway. He decided to go back downstairs and look through the books in the drawing room, but as he turned to go he caught site of an oddly shaped door at the very end of the hall. It was skinnier than the rest and a bit shorter as well.

Interested Harry ran down the hall and stopped right in front of it. He held out his hand to touch the door, it was normal wood, but somehow it seemed special. He pressed his ear to the door and listened. He heard nothing and decided to open it. The hinges creaked loudly and the whole house groaned, sending a shiver down Harry's spine.

Harry was surprised to see a set of old wooden stairs. The whole house was old for sure, but these stairs showed it. The wood was dull and covered in a thick layer of dust. The air smelled heavy and stale, he was almost afraid to breathe it in. But he had to go up the stairs; he had to see where they led.

As he climbed the stairs Harry's legs felt heavy, as if his body were protesting, while his mind and heart told him to go. He found himself in a small attic; the roof was low and sloping. No lights or lamps illuminated the space, but it was fairly bright enough. Natural light leaked in through a series of circular holes that lined the bottom of all the walls.

The space was mostly empty, save a large trunk in the middle of the room. Nearing the trunk Harry was able to make out the inscription, "Sirius Black." This must be his school trunk! Harry was so excited he couldn't wait to explore the contents. The trunk was really old, surprisingly so for it to belong to Sirius. Not everyone gets a brand new trunk when they go to school.

Opening the trunk, it seemed like anyone's school trunk. Full of schoolbooks and clothes, but Harry's heart was filled with joy, they're Sirius' things! Pulling out each item he laid them carefully out on the floor. Mostly there were books, bits of parchment, quills, and a pile of school robes. But near the bottom Harry caught sight of something gold.

Wrapping his fingers around the pendant Harry felt the metal shiver, or was that me? It was absolutely beautiful, two snakes intertwined, with emerald green eyes. And although they weren't moving, it seemed as though they were dancing. Harry stared at the pendant, running his fingers along the rough scales. Time seemed to pass and before Harry noticed it was beginning to get dark. Ug, someone's going to be checking in on me.

Quickly Harry flung all of the belongings back into the trunk. But decided to slip the pendant into his robe pocket. Then he ran down the stairs, back on the first floor where he paused. I should look through those books, there were so many, perhaps one of them has information on the veil. Harry scanned the rows quickly, titles seemed to jump out at him, and he felt compelled to take them.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Down in the kitchen Harry had his schoolbooks spread across the table. Essays and notes were also scattered about. If someone were to 'check in' he wanted to make it appear as if he were working on schoolwork. As of yet he had sifted through two of the books and found nothing useful. Frustrated he got up to see about making himself some dinner; he hadn't eaten since breakfast. As he walked past the fire, two figures flooed in.

"Good evening dear," Molly Weasley said, setting down a basket of food on the table. Harry didn't respond, he was to busy glaring at Snape. He knew people were going check in on him, but why him? "Would you be so kind and gather up your belongings. I've brought some dinner for us."

Harry complied, and started piling his books haphazardly; bits of parchment with notes and essays were being crumpled in the process. He didn't want Snape to notice some of the books' titles.

"I'd like to review your days progress," Snape commented.

"What?" Harry gave Snape a cold look.

"Dumbledore wants to make sure you're keeping busy but not straying into unnecessary research," Snape explained.

Harry blushed, so Dumbledore knew, he knew that Harry would be researching the veil. Without thinking Harry grabbed a pile of parchment and flung it at Snape.

Glancing at it Snape chided, "Notes from charms? Potter I was unaware that Professor Flitwick gave out personal lessons." He waited for Harry to respond, "No? You have a large pile of books in your hand Potter, surely you've done some sort of work today." Frustrated Harry shuffled through some of the parchments until he found something that he could pass off. It was his essay on the Bluegree Root; he hadn't done much, just listed out the three properties. But he didn't care what Snape thought; at least it was something.

Handing it to Snape, Harry turned his attention to Mrs. Weasley, "What's for dinner?"

Molly looked absolutely pleased to see that Harry was hungry, "Well you look a bit skinny dear, so I brought along loads of food. Chicken pies, as well as boiled potatoes, and a nice lush salad."

"Sounds wonderful," Harry said in the most cheerful voice he could manage. Harry knew he was laying on the charm a bit thickly. But Harry didn't care what they thought. He finally gathered up all his things and flung them down on the floor beside the table.

Ignoring Harry's behavior Mrs. Weasley asked, "Harry could you please set the table?" He knew he was being childish, but Harry only set two places. Molly set the trays of food down on the table, and shook her head when she noticed Harry's handiwork, but said nothing.

Meanwhile Snape sat reading his essay, surely the Potions Master could read faster than that. Harry glanced over at Snape and noticed the man was reading other things as well. Suddenly he wished he'd paid attention to what he handed the man.

Bringing the other dishes to the table, Molly sat down saying, "Severus, would you please join us?"

"I've already eaten," Snape answered as he scribbled down some notes on one of Harry's papers.

Harry and Mrs. Weasley sat and ate.

"So Harry, what have you been doing today?" Molly asked. Her voice was so pleasant, but Harry still felt like she was prying.

"Oh not much, a bit of homework, and I did rest awhile this afternoon." He was surprised by how convincing he sounded; he never lied so well before. He didn't even feel guilty; in fact he was pleased with himself. "What have you been doing?"

Molly looked happy to chat, "Well Ronald and Ginny have been staying with Fred and George this week, helping them with the joke shop. So the house has been very empty," a hint of loneliness filled her voice, "and Arthur has been busy at the office. He has to do a lot of work for other departments. The ministry has quite overwhelmed now that you-know-who is back."

"Voldermort," Harry corrected her.

Ignoring him Molly continued, "So I've been busy knitting and baking, doing both at the same time can be quite interesting. When I wasn't paying attention, I accidentally added a bit of yarn to one of the batches of biscuits. It was such a disaster…"

Molly continued to speak, but Harry couldn't pay attention. He watched Snape sift through his parchment, oh why'd I give him so many? Snape would read a bit and then scribble down some note. Harry tried to lean close, but when he did, Snape glanced up at him. Quickly he shoved another forkful of food in his mouth.

Harry didn't realize how much he'd eaten until Mrs. Weasley said, "Poor dear, you are hungry. You've had three pies, two potatoes and almost all the salad. I should have packed more food."

Harry blushed and pushed his plate away; "I'm quite full now, thanks." Molly Weasley began gathering up all the dishes. "You're leaving now?" he asked.

"Well not if you want me to stay," she responded hopefully.

"No, no thanks," Harry quickly replied.

Once she had all her things gathered she walked over to the floo. When it became apparent Snape wasn't going with her Harry blurted out, "Professor Snape, you'd better hurry up, she's ready to go."

"Oh I have much to finish here," Snape said plainly.

Harry was ready to protest and Molly waited quietly by the floo, afraid to leave the two on their own.

"Fine," Harry said, "Just leave my schoolwork on the table when you're finished. I'm going to bed, I do need my rest after all." And he stormed out of the room.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Harry lay in Sirius' bed. He had changed into his pajamas just in case Snape came up to check on him. The thought of it made Harry's stomach turn. Of course he had no intention what so ever of going to sleep. How could Harry not think of Sirius? When he was sleeping in Sirius' bed, in Sirius' house no less.

So Harry waited, it was already dark, surely Snape would be gone by now. Once he was sure he was alone in the house, he figured he'd have more time to look through his books.

Stepping out of bed Harry slipped on his shoes and then flung his robe over his shoulders. Harry tiptoed across the room, being sure to be quiet in case Snape was still lurking about. The door to the bedroom was nearly silent when he opened it and none of the stairs creaked as he nimbly crept down them. Reaching the kitchen Harry held his breath and listened for any sign of movement. Hearing nothing Harry sighed in relief.

"Potter," he jerked around to see Snape no more than three feet away. "What are you doing?"

Harry was startled to say the least, not only was he surprised to see that Snape was there, but how had the man gotten so close without him noticing. Instinctively Harry reached into his robe pocket and put a hand on his wand. He stepped backwards, away from Snape's looming figure. Bumping up against the wall Harry thought quickly for some sort of excuse.

"I'm hungry," Harry said, unconvincingly.

"Right," Snape said, obviously the man remembered dinner, only a few hours before.

"I, well actually, I wanted to get my homework," Harry lied. This didn't sound anymore credible than the last excuse. "What are you doing here anyway?" Harry shouted abruptly, hoping to shift the conversion's focus.

Snape took the bait, "You don't think Dumbledore would really leave you all alone at night. You're in a bit of a fragile state."

Harry's face became hot, he felt like attacking the man again, but that was probably what Snape wanted. If I lash out, Harry thought, he'd have an excuse for having Mrs. Weasley baby-sit me... Instead he turned away from Snape and dashed into the kitchen to grab all of his schoolwork. Harry knew Snape had followed close behind him. Everything sat neatly on the table, the books all stacked up and the parchment lay in a flat, tidy pile. Snape's been a busy little professor. Harry grabbed the pile of parchment without saying a thing. He noticed some of the books were missing.

"I've discussed things with Dumbledore. He agreed that you are going to need to complete a certain amount of homework each day."

"What!"

"This obsession with the veil is unhealthy."

"I- I…" Harry wanted to defend himself. What did Snape know? But he couldn't think of what to say. "I should be going back to bed."

"Potter if you're having trouble sleeping," Snape said without emotion, "I could provide you with a potion."

"I don't need anything from you," Harry spat.

"Honestly Potter," Snape began to lecture.

Harry cut him off. "I don't want anything from you, so let it go!" Harry sprinted out of the room. He didn't stop running until he was back into Sirius' room. Slamming the door shut, Harry leaned against it, I don't need anything from anyone.

So he sat leaning against the door, afraid to move. As the night went on, the house made strange noises and creaks. Each one would make Harry jump. He didn't think he would ever be able to go to bed while he knew Snape was wandering about. But at some time in the night Harry drifted off to sleep, hunched against the door.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Without realizing it Harry drifted off into a dream. He was running around the Department of Mysteries, only it was much different than before. He was trapped in a long hall filled with identical white doors. But each door he walked through would lead to exactly the same hallway as before. Harry gave up trying the doors, he decided to find the end of the hall, surely it would end eventually. Harry was breathing hard now, he didn't think he'd ever see an end. But just as he thought that he smashed straight into a door and fell back onto his butt.

Adjusting his glasses Harry looked up to the door, 'Mysterious Veil' a sign read. Harry smiled as he climbed back up to his feet. Opening the door he saw just what he was coming for. An ancient stone archway with a fluttering black veil sat on a raised platform. Thousand of different voices could be heard whispering behind the veil. Slowly Harry stepped closer, hoping to make out Sirius' voice.

"Sirius," he yelled, when he was but a foot away.

"What do you want Harry," whispered a cold dead voice.

"Sirius, I er… I want to talk to you, come out and talk to me."

"Harry, you're not looking so well," said Sirius stepping casually through the black cloth.

"Well neither are you!" Harry wasn't exaggerating; Sirius was dressed all in black looking like he was fresh out of Azkaban.

"What do you expect Harry, I've been trapped behind this veil for, well how long has it been?"

"Well, um a few months or –"

"Oh Harry, don't lie to me, it's been ages!" Sirius sounded really mad.

"No, it was-"

"Harry, just look at yourself, you're an old man. People can't age like that in just a few months."

Harry lifted the broken piece of Sirius' mirror. Harry was old; he looked older than even Dumbledore.

"But I," Harry blushed, he tried to explain, but it had been such a long time. "Well Dumbledore wouldn't let me, Snape said it was unnatural. I tried-"

"Snape! Well of course Snape would say that, he hated me. But you, Harry, why would you believe him?" Sirius' eyes dug deep down into Harry's soul.

"Sirius, I'm sorry. I didn't-" Harry pleaded.

"Lot of good that does now!" Sirius shouted. He grabbed Harry by the arm. "You need to go, I out of my sight." Harry struggled to free himself from Sirius' grasp. He had Harry by the hair now and he felt much smaller. He was five year's old again, about to be shoved into the cupboard. Only this was different, he knew he wouldn't be able to get out of the veil, no one would know he was there.

"No, Sirius please. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Opening his eyes Harry realized he was laying in a crumpled heap on the floor. Slowly feeling returned to his arms and legs. At first he didn't want to breathe, his whole body was shaking. Regaining his senses he noticed he was clutching the snake pendant he'd found earlier that day. His schoolwork was scattered everywhere, he must have been tossing about in his sleep.

The door behind him banged into his body. "Potter, what is the matter?"

It's Snape, Harry thought. He quickly shoved the pendant back into his robe pocket. Then he scrambled to his feet and backed away the door before Snape could shove him out of the way.

"Potter are you okay?" Snape asked, holding up his lit wand to Harry's face.

"I'm fine," Harry bitterly replied slapping Snape's wand out of his face. He wiped madly at his face; he hadn't noticed the tears before.

"You were screaming-"

"I said I was fine!" his voice was full of hatred, "Now get out of my room!"

"You will not talk to me like that Potter," Snape warned.

"If you don't want me to talk to you," Harry pulled his wand out of his robe and held it out ready to attack, "I suggest you leave."

"Potter, what do you think you're doing?" Clearly Snape was not threatened.

"Do I have to spell it out for you Snivellus?" Harry sounded so utterly cocky that he surprised himself. For a moment Harry regretted what he said. But then a voice whispered in his mind, he's trying to stop you. He doesn’t want you to save Sirius.

The look on Snape's face was ready to kill. Under normal circumstances Harry would have backed away in fear. Snape opened his mouth to speak, but paused. Suddenly his face changed, it was emotionless, unreadable. "Potter, you need to go to bed, you're not yourself." Snape was so calm it was irritating.

Harry wanted to yell at the man some more. But Snape turned and left the room, leaving Harry alone in the darkness.

For a while Harry didn’t move, but then he was filled with conviction. "I swear to you Sirius," Harry said barely above a whisper. "I swear I will get you back."

That's a good boy Harry, soothed an imaginary voice.