Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

Warning... there is a bit of a cliffy at the end of this chapter and I don't know when I'll have the time to update ... 2 more months in the quarter and then graduation, moving, new job (hopefully), etc. But I'll try to write whenever I can. BTW, in my HP universe, chocolate frogs come in a box.

Ecalp Dluammirg

The interviews had gone well, or so Snape had told him, but Harry was still nervous. The adoption wasn't official until the ministry said so, giving Harry plenty of time to worry about all the things that could go wrong. Since Madame Pomfrey had approved, Harry was free to get out of bed and go anywhere in Grimmauld Place. But even though he had a lot of freedom, he still preferred to be near others. After breakfast with Remus, Harry wandered up to the study where Snape was correcting papers.

"Do you mind if I work on homework?" Harry asked. "Hermione sent me a list of assignments and notes from class. Well, really, the notes are more like a transcription of every word, but-"

"Yes, Harry," Snape interrupted, "you may study here."

"Great. Thanks!" Harry smiled. Walking quickly, he exited the room in haste to get his school things. By the time he reached the end of the hall, he broke out in a sprint and took the stairs two at a time. Returning to the study, Harry had an armload of books and flushed cheeks. His breathing was a bit quick, but he felt good after the little bit of physical activity. He was careful to walk back into the room, so as not to disturb Snape.

"May I ask what you think you were doing, Mr. Potter?" Snape asked in a hard tone.

Harry shrugged, "I needed to get my stuff."

Snape narrowed his eyes, "And what part of, ‘keep your activity level low,' don't you understand?"

"Oh, that," Harry brushed it off. He remembered Madame Pomfrey's words... but the mediwitch wasn't there, and what harm could come from a little bit of sprinting.

"Yes, that," Snape mocked. "Would you prefer to return to bed rest?"

"Come on," Harry retorted, "I didn't exert myself too much. Give me a break." He put his belongings down on a small table and began pulling it towards the settee.

"Potter, look at me when I'm speaking to you," Snape commanded. "We're not done with this discussion." Harry did as he was told, but folded his arms in irritation. Snape glared, "This is important Potter. Mark my words, if you continue to act as a foolish child, you will be sent to bed like one." Harry dropped his arms. "I take Madame Pomfrey's instructions seriously."

"Oh, right," Harry replied sarcastically. "I bet you're supposed to be in bed or something right now. Instead, you're running all over the-"

Snape interrupted again, "I am not a sixteen-year-old boy. I know the limitations of my own body. Also, I am not running around, but completing ordinary tasks that require my attention."

"So-"

Snape talked over Harry, "For example-I do believe you have your wand, do you not, Mr. Potter?" Harry nodded and pulled his wand out of his robe for emphasis. Snape continued, "You are also capable of a simple summoning charm?" Harry narrowed his eyes. "A sensible action would have been to accio your belongings. Or, if you have your heart set on physically retrieving your books, you could have walked at a brisk pace, rather than bounding down the halls like an idiot."

"Hey, I-"

"And if you continue to act in such an idiotic manner," Snape rebuked, "I will send you to bed like a small child." Harry opened his mouth. "I suggest you study."

Harry glared, but when Snape turned away to continue his grading, Harry had nothing to do but start in on his schoolwork. He told himself that he was tired of arguing, so he didn't feel as if he had been defeated. Besides, he might as well give in to Snape, on these trivial matters. That way, when he had something worth fighting over, he could stand his ground and catch the man off guard.

For a little while, nothing but the sound of scratching quills and shifting parchment filled the air. Harry's frustration with Snape quickly went away. Being completely honest, Harry liked that Snape was being all fussy. The thought of Snape being considered "fussy" caused Harry to snigger a little. The sound, in turn, caused a short pause in the movement of Snape's quill.

Harry was halfway through his reading assignment, when a sudden thought came to him. He didn't know how to ask... He knew Snape would prefer he get straight to the point, so Harry just blurted it out. "Why did Lucius rescue us?" Harry shivered a little, remembering how the man had tortured him... why would Lucius randomly rescue him? Was he really that loyal to Snape... it didn't fit.

Snape set down his quill and rested his head in his hands. He didn't look like he wanted to talk about it and, for a while, Harry didn't think he would. Finally, Snape responded, "He owed me a life debt." Snape moved the hair out of his face, "When Draco was a toddler, I saved his life."

"Well then, wouldn't Draco owe you?"

Snape sighed, "With children, it doesn't work like that."

"So, is that why he said I wasn't your son?" Harry asked. He remembered the day, when Lucius rescued them. Lucius had protested taking Harry along, because the boy wasn't actually Snape's son.

"Yes, Potter," Snape replied, sounding impatient.

Harry stopped asking questions and went back to reading. After a while, he had a hard time focusing on his transfiguration text. Something was bugging him too much. Unable to stay quiet any longer, Harry spoke. "Um...Snape?" The man looked up. "You know, when you talk to me... if you're happy-er, not angry. You always call me Harry. But when you get annoyed, I turn into ‘Mr. Potter.' And then, when you're really mad, I suddenly become ‘Potter.'"

"And?" Snape pressed.

"And," Harry emphasized, "I think you should call me Harry all the time." When Snape didn't respond, Harry continued, "I guess I should still be ‘Mr. Potter' in class, but well, it just seems weird or something... Like I revert back to a person you hate whenever you're angry."

Snape leaned back in his chair, taking a moment to think. "Perhaps, you should stop calling me Snape all the time, and find something more respectful," he replied. "Then perhaps, I will consider altering my own behavior."

Harry bit his lip. "I thought you didn't care," he said, mostly to himself. "Er, just never mind." Quickly, he refocused his attention on the book before him.

Snape sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, he said, "No, I don't. But I must insist, in classes or around other professors, I prefer Professor Snape." Harry looked up. "However, in private, you may use Snape." Harry nodded. The corners of Snape's mouth slightly turned up, "After all, you're no longer the bratty baby constantly hollering ‘Nape.'"

Harry blushed, "Er-"

Snape held up his hand, waving off Harry's response, "From now on I will endeavor to call you Harry."

xxxxx

Around noon, Snape told Harry to go eat lunch, and then the man disappeared off to one of the many rooms in Grimmauld Place. Harry was a little curious as to where Snape went; he knew it wasn't the bedroom Snape usually used. He decided to explore and find out-after he had something to eat.

He found Remus setting out a platter of sandwiches, along with some sort of fruit salad and a couple of mugs of pumpkin juice. "Mrs. Weasley insisted that I make sure you eat a sandwich and plenty of fruit," Remus said, without even turning to Harry.

For a moment, Harry stood there awestruck. He had barely entered the room and he really didn't think he had made all that much noise. Self consciously, Harry sniffed himself, wondering if it was Remus' heightened sense of smell that gave him away. Shrugging it off, Harry walked over and sat down at the table. He didn't have any trouble eating, his appetite being stronger now than he ever remembered it.

"I'm going to be leaving tomorrow," Remus said, "after breakfast."

"‘m...Why?" Harry said with his mouth full.

"Albus has asked me to return to the wolf pack," Remus replied. Harry suddenly noticed how tired and worn the man was. "The full moon is only two days away." Involuntarily, Harry shuddered. He hated the thought of his friend with all those werewolves. "And as you know," Remus' continued, "I have the Ferratilis Potion in me, which makes me an added threat towards you."

The man sounded so sorrowful, it nearly broke Harry's heart. He wanted to tell Remus about his Godfather status. He was waiting, though, until all the paperwork came back from the ministry. "Will I be able to see you again?" Harry asked. "And I mean sometime before the end of the school year, or before I get seriously hurt again."

"You'd better not get injured again," Remus scolded. "And I was planning on asking Severus if we could have a visit around Boxing Day. The timing is great as far as the moon's cycle. That is, if you want to."

"I'd love to," Harry beamed. "I can ask him myself, you know. It might be harder for him to say no to me."

"Yes," Remus replied, "I was a little nervous about asking him, to be honest."

Harry laughed and then wiped his face on his napkin, "Well, I'll go find him." He sprinted up the stairs before Remus could reply. He nearly sprinted up the next set of stairs before he remembered Snape's warning to take it easy. There was no use in angering the man before he even had a chance to ask about seeing Remus.

First, he checked Snape's room. He knocked tentatively on the door and when he didn't hear a response, he slowly opened it. The room looked the same as he'd seen before, as much as he could recall anyway. The last time he'd been there, he was five and the werewolves were coming... and the time before that-well the door had been repaired, so he'd rather not think about his crazy rummaging the night he'd nearly killed Snape and run off to the department of mysteries. In fact, the mere thought of stupid mistakes found Harry backing out of the room and closing Snape's door with a soft click.

Next, Harry checked the study. Even though he was sure the man was done grading essays, he figured Snape might have decided to work on lesson plans. Harry'd been surprised when he was deaged to see how much work Snape had to put into his class, even in the summer. Now, the professor was itching to get back to Hogwarts, complaining about how chaotic his classes were. Apparently, the headmaster hadn't been able to find a professor to cover Snape's absence. Instead, other professors filled in whenever possible and even some seventh year students had been asked to teach the younger years. As a result, potion accidents more than doubled, the students were behind, and ingredient stores were nearly depleted.

When he verified that the study was empty, Harry wandered over to the makeshift potions lab. Snape had gotten tired of having to move cauldrons and supplies every time the order came over. So Snape had transfigured the bed in one of the unused bedrooms into a long table and filled the bookshelves with his ingredients. The desk held several open volumes of potion books as Snape brewed no less than a dozen potions at a time. With the heavy drapes always pulled closed, the room had the same dungeon feel Harry was accustomed to seeing Snape in.

Finding the room empty, Harry briefly glanced at the potions. They were all held in stasis, so Harry realized that Snape wouldn't be back anytime soon. Baffled, Harry decided to wander around on the third floor. He wasn't sure where Snape would be, but he knew the man was somewhere in the house. Walking out of the room, Harry was scratching his head when he ran into someone... the last person he expected to see.

"Do watch where you're walking," Draco drawled.

In an instant, Harry had his wand drawn. He didn't know how Draco could have gotten into Grimmauld Place, but it wasn't a good sign. "How did you get here?" Harry snapped.

Draco folded his arms and leaned back against the opposite wall. "A bit touchy are we?" Draco asked. "As I recall, we arrived together." Harry noticed, despite Draco's arrogant attitude, the boy looked quite haggard. His usually primped golden locks were disheveled, under his eyes were large black circles, and his pale skin was even paler than normal. A part of Harry wanted to feel sympathy for his nemesis; Draco had lost his parents after all. "Are you going to just stand there with your mouth hanging open, or are you going to say something?"

"Why are you still here?" Harry asked, keeping his wand up. "Surely you have some sort of family to go to."

"Well my parents are dead," Draco replied, he didn't sound sorrowful at all. "As a result, I'm stuck with my blood traitor of a godfather."

Harry didn't notice the last part of Draco's statement. Instead, he started shouting. "Your father deserved to die!" Harry would not feel guilty about that man's death, even if it was because Lucius had rescued him and Snape.

Draco's face twisted in anger, but his voice stayed calm. "Ah, did my father hurt you," he taunted. "You know, the Dark Lord will get you again." Draco's voice was so quiet and calm, that Harry involuntarily shuddered. Draco noticed and smirked.

"Get out of my house!" Harry ordered, "You have no right to be here."

"Now really, Potter-"

"Out!" Harry raised his wand. Draco's eyes flashed with a touch of fear and his hand reached towards his own wand. "Accio wand," Harry called before Draco could get it. The wand flew from Draco's pocket and Harry caught it easily. "Now get out of my house, before I curse you." Without any other choice, Draco lunged at Harry in an attempt to get his wand back. "Immobulus," Harry shouted. Draco was frozen, his arms reaching out towards Harry with a look of rage on his face. "Wingardium leviosa," Harry said next, and soon he had Draco's body floating in the air. "I suppose I'll have to take you out myself."

"Harry James Potter!" Snape shouted. "What do you think you're doing?" Harry had the grace to look guilty, a little. "Put Draco down!"

The pace at which Snape was stalking down the halls was a bit frightening, so Harry reacted quickly. "Finite Incantatem," Harry said, ending both spells at once. Draco fell to the ground with a thud and then gracelessly scrambled to his feet.

"Give me back my wand," Draco demanded.

Harry ignored him and turned to Snape, "What is he doing in my house!"

"Lower your wand, Mr. Potter," Snape sneered, "before I take it away."

Harry lowered his wand, but kept it pointed towards Draco. "I want him out of my house," Harry demanded.

"I'll have none of this attitude," Snape replied. "Now put your wand away and give Draco's his back." Slowly, Harry put his wand away, but made no move to return Draco's. Growing impatient, Snape grabbed Draco's wand out of Harry's hand and returned it himself. "Draco is not going anywhere," Snape snapped. "I suggest you accept it and calm down."

"You can't have him sneaking around here," Harry complained. "I won't be able to sleep. I'll wake up and have him looming over me."

"Oh, I'm hurt," Draco mocked. "And here I thought we'd be one big happy family."

"Draco," Snape warned.

"What?!" Harry shouted.

"Severus didn't tell you?" Draco said in a false sweet tone. "He's my godfather. Now with my parents dead, he's got custody of me."

"That can't possibly be true," Harry retorted. "Snape would never adopt you."

Draco's face twisted into a sneer, "Oh yeah?" Draco raised his wand, "And why is that?"

Harry raised his own wand, countless spells running through his mind. "Snape would have told me," Harry replied.

"Apparently not," Draco taunted.

"Accio wands," Snape said just in time. Both wands came flying towards him.

"Hey!" both Harry and Draco shouted at once.

"I will keep these, until you both learn some control," Snape replied.

"You have no right to take my wand!" Draco yelled.

"Draco," Snape warned his tone cold. Draco shut his mouth and rolled his eyes.

"You! You're Malfoy's guardian now," Harry shouted, "and you didn't bother to tell me?! You know I hate him!"

"Boys, you will not shout at me-"

"I want him out of my house now," Harry ordered.

"Potter, go to your room," Snape directed in a cool tone.

"Yes, Potter-"

"Draco, hush!"

"I can't believe you've adopted him, too," Harry raged. "And you didn't think to tell me? Like this doesn't affect me at all. The son of a Death Eater? He'll constantly be after me. This is my house and I say he goes! He's not welcome here, he-"

"Potter, go to your room, now," Snape said, his voice growing louder. Harry held his ground, opening his mouth to yell again. "NOW!" Snape shouted. He raised his hand, holding onto his wand, and pointed down the hallway.

Harry flinched; eyeing the wand cautiously, he felt more vulnerable now, because he didn't have his wand. He wondered what Snape would do if he refused to do as he was told. He didn't want to find out, not because he was afraid, but because it hurt. "Fine," Harry muttered. He turned to walk down the hallway. Calling over his shoulder, he said, "You should owl the ministry. There's probably still time stop the adoption. I won't go anywhere with you, no matter what you do."

"Potter-" Snape called, but Harry didn't stop. Once he was down the first set of stairs, he sprinted for the rest of the way to his room.

xxxxx

For a while, Harry sat on his bed, staring at the door. He half expected Snape to stomp in and yell for a little while, until-somehow-things got sorted out. He regretted telling Snape to owl the ministry... Harry wasn't happy about Malfoy, but was he really angry enough to stop the adoption? What if Snape was owling the ministry... Frustrated, Harry shook his head, it couldn't be that easy, could it? To mess everything up...

Standing up abruptly, Harry couldn't sit any longer. He was still angry, but he wanted to talk it out with Snape. He wanted to make things right again. He knew, though, that he couldn't go to Snape angry. The man would just send him to his room again. Harry's cheeks burned... he couldn't believe Snape treated him like that in front of Malfoy. Draco Malfoy...Harry hated that boy... how could Snape adopt Malfoy?

Making his way to the bathroom, Harry decided to wash his face. The cool water sometimes helped sooth his anger and he needed to calm down. He'd need to go find Snape and have their talk, otherwise he'd need to go find Remus... Harry still didn't like to be alone.

Harry briefly held his hands under the running tap and then quickly splashed his face. The cold water was a bit of a shock, but it did the trick. Again, he splashed his face and then stood up. Looking in the mirror, he studied his face. The water dripped down his cheeks and onto his clothes, but he didn't mind. He was more interested in how pale he looked... if he thought Draco looked bad...

Suddenly, out of the corner of his eye, he caught a movement in the mirror. Quickly, he turned around, intently looking at the room. The hairs on the back of his neck stood up... he wasn't alone. Swallowing deeply, Harry tried to shake off his nervousness... I don't need some sort of babysitter!

Seeing that the room was, in fact, empty, Harry turned back to the mirror. Tentatively, he picked up his towel and began to dry his face. The strange feeling wouldn't go away, but he shrugged it off... lately, he didn't feel very comfortable on his own.

Oddly, Harry's ears began to ring. He tried scratching at one and then shook his head. Hanging the towel on the rack, Harry quickly scanned the immediate area for the source of the ringing. The pitch and intensity of the sound increased, until his head started to hurt. In desperation, Harry covered his ears with his hands, but that did nothing to muffle the sound. It was coming from within.

Catching sight of the mirror, Harry started, his breath caught... For a moment, Harry swore he saw Mrs. Black staring back at him. But just as quick, the image was gone. I'm going loony, Harry thought. He tried to go to the door. He needed to find Snape, but the pain in his head was becoming too much. Wincing, his legs dropped, bringing him to his knees. Gasping for breath, the rest of his body fell forward and his face hit the floor with a crunch-his glasses were broken. But that didn't matter now; he felt like the world slipping away as he nearly passed out.

Slowly, his sense of reality returned to him. Harry stayed in his crouched position for a moment, worried that the intense pain would return. Instead it remained a dull throb, but he knew something wasn't right. His breathing was still heavy, and the air seemed too thick and stale. Harry wondered if perhaps he really did overdo it, by running to his room...

Standing up, he quickly glanced backwards at the now empty mirror, just in case. Making it to his room, he noticed how dark it was. He'd thought that Remus had taken the drapes down permanently, but the man must have put them back while Harry was looking for Snape. After all, Remus was going away soon and probably didn't want to leave things messed up. Harry didn't like it; the darkened room made him feel trapped.

Opening the door, he looked up and down the halls before leaving the room, just in case Malfoy might be lurking by. He didn't care what Snape said; as soon as Malfoy had the chance, he'd try and catch Harry off guard.

Cautiously, Harry made his way towards the stairs. A frigid burst of air blew past him, taking his breath away. Someone must have left a window open somewhere, Harry thought, wrapping his arms around himself for extra warmth.

Harry checked the usual places for Snape again, the make shift potions lab, the study and the man's bedroom, but everything looked abandoned. He didn't want to go up, poking around where Malfoy must be staying, so instead, he went down.

Just before entering the kitchen, Harry knew Snape must be there, and brewing something disgusting. The smell of rotten food and jars of dead animals wafted from the room. "Ew, Snape, what are you brewing?" Harry asked, waving his hand in front of his nose as he entered. "Look, I know you're mad, but I need to tell you-" Harry stopped, the room was empty and the smell was suddenly gone. Harry swallowed and sniffed the air more deeply... he was sure it had stunk before-but now, there was nothing.

Tired and still feeling sore, Harry decided to sit and wait at the table for Snape. He knew the man hadn't had lunch, yet, so eventually (hopefully sooner than later) Snape would come down to eat. Folding his arms on the table, Harry slouched forward to rest his head. Looking across the table, Harry suddenly noticed a plate filled with chocolate frogs. Funny, I hadn't noticed it before. Harry smiled to himself, realizing that Remus must have gotten them as a surprise.

Scooting down the bench, Harry reached out and took the top box. Quickly, he opened the package and watched the frog jump free. Even though he'd had countless chocolate frogs since he'd come to Hogwarts, it was always fascinating to see the lifelike candy hopping about.

Grabbing the now still chocolate, Harry took a big bite as he examined his wizard card. Curiously, the picture was black and there was no writing where the wizard's name and description should be. Turning the card over several times more, Harry shrugged to himself; they must have forgotten to add the wizard. He finished the frog and decided to eat another. He had just bitten off the head, when he realized the second card was blank as well. Reacting without thinking, Harry swallowed the mouthful of chocolate, but instantly regretted it. Moving his tongue around his mouth, he tried to detect anything off with the taste. At the same time, he opened several other chocolate frogs, each containing the same blank card.

Suddenly worried, Harry looked around the kitchen. He really had no idea where the frogs were from and he felt stupid for eating them. "Snape," he called, "Remus..." What if Draco had planted the chocolate? Now he was just being paranoid. All at once, a wave of dizziness hit him, causing him to sit down on the bench.

Breathe, Harry thought, don't panic... there's nothing wrong- But even as he thought it, he knew it wasn't true.

The silence was broken by the sound of cackling. Harry looked around the room again, but it was still empty. "Poor little half-blood," a voice taunted. Harry held his breath, the hair on the back of his neck stood up. He recognized the voice; after all, he'd heard Mrs. Black's portrait yelling often enough. But he knew the painting was gone...

"Yes, you're worried aren't you," Mrs. Black continued, Harry saw her now, coming up from the black depths of the card. "Not a very intelligent wizard, are you?" her voice amplified as several other cards filled with the image of Mrs. Black. "No, you're not worthy, not worthy at all to own the House of Black." Harry tried to respond, but his tongue felt thick and sluggish. "Don't worry," Mrs. Black comforted, "the poison is fast. You won't suffer long."

Harry's head became heavy, forcing him to rest it on the table. He blinked, and suddenly the cards were gone, along with the platter of chocolate frogs. He tried to move, tried to get up and find help...

"Snape," Harry rasped.

xxxxx

Severus sat in the kitchen, drinking a cup of coffee. He'd finally managed to get Draco out of his room and Potter had to throw a fit. Again, he was forced to send up Draco's lunch and the boy spent yet another day huddled in his room. Well, he wouldn't indulge the boy by eating with him. No, Severus would enjoy his cup of coffee and one of Mrs. Weasley's sandwiches while he read the Daily Prophet. At least the wolf was gone, temporarily off to his own room to pack. Soon, even better, Grimmauld Place would be wolf-free and Severus wouldn't have to see the man... for a while. No doubt Harry would insist on seeing the werewolf again.

Harry. Severus tried to focus on the Prophet, but he had a nagging feeling that he should be checking up on the boy. He was going soft and it was unnerving him. Well, he would never allow the boy to yell at him and order him about. If Harry thought he was going to get away with acting like a brat, he was in for a surprise. Perhaps, although he grudgingly admitted it, Potter did have a point... he should have said something about Draco. But he knew Harry would throw a fit and act irrationally. If he'd said something before, Harry would be a ward of the ministry. And the fool, Cornelius Fudge, would have Harry secreted away to some location, only to be captured by Death Eaters within a week. Severus didn't regret his decision and he wouldn't apologize to the boy.

Still, he couldn't shake the feeling that he needed to see the boy... to talk to him and make sure Harry was okay. Severus shook his head; he wasn't a sentimental fool. The man suddenly realized that he never worried over things needlessly... He couldn't ignore his instincts. Not again... Last time, when he went to check on Harry, he was too late and the boy had been abducted.

That decided, Severus got up and made his way to Harry's room. He knew the boy had listened to him, because he'd checked... with a tracking spell, to make sure Harry had done as he was told.

Stupid boy, Severus thought. Of course, he didn't trust Draco in the house. He was aware of what Draco was capable of, more so than Harry.

The foolish, doting Molly Weasley had set up Draco's room right across the hall. So that the ‘poor dear' would be nearby in case he needed anything. She was so naïve; it was a good thing the boy had still been wallowing in his grief by the time Severus was well enough to be lucid. As soon as he could, he'd ordered the boy be moved farther away and asked Albus to have an order member stand guard. Once Draco was over his grief, he'd look for revenge... and Severus didn't know who Draco blamed.

Since he'd been able to hobble out of his room, Severus had put a tracking spell on both Harry and Draco. He'd know the moment they came near each other, and had planned to stop any sort of altercation before they occurred... obviously his plan had flaws.

At least Harry was prepared to defend himself. He'd briefly entertained the idea that Harry would somehow be scarred by his captivity... be a quaking ball of fear whenever someone threatened him. Severus had seen it before, even with the strongest of men. Yet, he had to admit, Harry was different. He had a strong sense of resilience, even through the toughest of situations. It was almost admirable-if the boy didn't whine so much.

Severus wondered again, why did I offer to adopt the boy? He wasn't a patient man, nor was he loving and caring... just as Mrs. Weasley had said. Severus was even more confused by why Harry had accepted his offer. And how would he manage with both Draco and Harry?

Nearing Harry's door, he had the distinct feeling that something was off. He rapped his knuckles on the wood-no answer. "Harry, I'm going to come in whether or not you approve." He sure hoped the boy wasn't brooding. He'd sent Harry off to calm down, not grow more temperamental. He waited a moment before opening the door.

The room was empty and still messy. He'd have a chat about how Harry would need to keep his bedroom in order. The house elves would not wait on him hand and foot. Why were the drapes all over the floor? Severus thought.

"Harry, where are you? Come out and talk to me," Severus called, as he made his way to the bathroom. The door was open, so he felt no reservations about poking his head in. If the boy was hiding like an idiot... The bathroom was empty. "Potter!" Severus cursed under his breath. Pulling out his wand, he activated his tracking spell.

Severus' breath caught. Harry was gone.

Chapter End Notes:

Let me know what you think! Reviews with constructive criticism, suggestions, encouragement, or a nice hello are always welcome.