Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Voices

After the dream Harry was unable to sleep. If Snape was going to baby-sit him at night he'd just use the time to finish a day's worth of essays. At the Dursley's Harry had managed to do most of his summer assignments from all his classes except potions. So he sat with only a light glow from the end of his wand and worked away. He found it easier to work on Snape's assignments now that he didn't really care how well he did.

Some time in the dead of night he was interrupted from his work by a light taping on his window. "Hedwig," Harry whispered as he looked up to see the snow-white owl. He leapt off his bed and when over to open the window. Hedwig flew in and dropped a couple of colorful packages on his bed. Then a several other owls fluttered in carrying even more presents. Harry went over to pay them, but the owls all avoided him, like they were afraid. As the last owl flew out the window Harry noticed that it didn’t have a coin purse attached to its leg. "Did you get ordinary owls to help you carry my packages?" Harry asked Hedwig as he scratched her neck. She gave him a look as to say 'who me?'

Flopping down on his bed, Harry grabbed the present that was closest to him. It was wrapped neatly in Gryffindor colors, glancing at the card Harry saw that it was from Neville. Ripping the paper off Harry discovered an olive green book, 'Handy Houseplants for the Happy Herbologist'. Harry tossed it aside and began opening other presents from DA members; they gave him various assortments of Chocolate Frogs, Every Flavor Beans, Fizzing Whizbees and Cockroach Clusters. Fred and George gave him a package of brightly colored wands, he didn't know what they were called, but an attached note read, 'new product from Weasley's Wizard Wheezes.'

Looking over the last few packages Harry was sad to see that none were from Hagrid or Lupin, apparently they were both too busy. That left presents from Dumbledore, Ron and Hermione. He opened Hermione's first, he wasn't surprised to find a book, it was entitled 'A History of Quidditch.' Ron's was a little more interesting. It was a small wooden trunk, like a miniature replica of his school trunk. He opened the trunk and it was empty. But when he tossed it aside he heard something rattle . Opening it again the trunk was now filled with Every Flavor Beans. A tiny bit of parchment stuck out. Pulling it out Harry read the note:

Dear Harry,

Happy Birthday! Mum allowed me to help out Fred and George this summer and they paid me! Anyway I got this little trunk off a street vender. He said it had a whole bunch of different chambers and you have to do something different so as to be able to open up to a different one. I stuck these beans in the chamber that is accessible after you toss the trunk aside. I've also discovered three other chambers (they're also filled with candies), but you have to figure them out yourself!

Enjoy,

Ron

Harry studied the miniature trunk a bit more and then set it aside to open Dumbledore's present. Tearing a small piece of the wrapping, lemon drops spilled out all over Harry's bed. Underneath all the lemon drops was a small colorful book. It didn't have a title, instead a letter would appear and then it would transfigure into an animal that began with the same letter. Harry knew the old man was a bit strange at times, but this was the weirdest gift yet. He opened the front cover and read its inscription. 'Happy first birthday dear, you're getting to be such a big boy! We love you so much, Mum and Dad.'

Harry read the inscription over and over. He couldn't believe it; his Mum and Dad had given this book to him on his first birthday. It was his only birthday present from them ever. He clung to it tightly, but he wondered why Dumbledore had chosen now to give it to him.

Dumbledore was always keeping things from him, telling him half-truths, or hiding things completely. It was strategy; Dumbledore had something to gain by giving it to Harry now, but what? Harry thumbed through the pages, looking for a note, but Dumbledore hadn't left one.

Don't think about it Harry, chimed a voice inside his head, Dumbledore wants to distract you from your task.

Harry shoved all of the candy into the top drawer of his bedside table and then put his new books and miniature trunk away with his school things. And then he sat back down to continue with writing his essays; he didn't stop until the room had become bright.

He was surprised to see that it was morning already. He used a spare blanket to cover up his essays and the potions book. Then he slipped on his robe and tucked his pendant underneath his pajama top.

Harry left his room and went down to the kitchen to eat breakfast. He felt thoroughly pleased with himself; he'd insulted Professor Snape the night before and got away with it. That ugly git will think twice to mess with me again, he thought. Descending the stairs into the basement he was actually looking forward to messing with Snape again.

"Good mor-" Mrs. Weasley caught site of Harry and nearly gasped. Regaining her senses she continued with a phony pleasant voice, "Good morning dear," said Mrs. Weasley.

"Good morning," Harry replied, "What's for breakfast? Is Professor Snape going to join us?" He nearly giggled to himself, but stopped when he realized that Dumbledore was watching him from the table.

"Harry please sit down," Dumbledore commanded. The old man maintained his calm demeanor, but his tone required obedience. Harry sat down and said nothing; meanwhile Mrs. Weasley made herself scarce. "I understand that you have been through a lot in the past months Harry and you need time to cope. But it is unacceptable for you to treat Professor Snape with disrespect." Harry opened his mouth to complain, but Dumbledore held up his hand, silencing him. "Today I expect you to write 1,000 lines. I've copied down the statement for you." Dumbledore motioned across the table to a quill, an ink bottle, and a bit of parchment with something scrolled at the top of it. "I expect you to use the provided material. And you will spend the day doing just that."

"But what about my schoolwork," Harry retorted.

"I think you have completed enough last night," Dumbledore replied.

How'd he know that, Harry thought, did Snape lurk just outside my room, eavesdropping on me?

"Well now let's eat breakfast," Dumbledore said changing the subject. They all sat and ate, Harry said nothing while Mrs. Weasley and Dumbledore chatted away.

Just before they left, Dumbledore gave Harry one final warning, do his lines, treat Snape with respect, and to clean himself up. Harry barely listened, just nodded his head and waited for them to leave.

Once they were gone Harry went over to find out what Dumbledore had assigned him to write. The note read:

As an honorable young man I will treat my elders with the utmost respect.

Professor Severus Snape will be addressed in a manner concurrent with the honor

he is entitled to. Any disrespect will not be tolerated, as such I am writing these

lines.

Harry's jaw dropped. Never before had he been expected to write such a long statement for his lines. Now 1,000 lines seemed absolutely mind boggling. Begrudgingly he got to work.

In the monotony a voice deep inside him began to speak, You don't have to do this Harry.

If I don't, Harry thought back, I'll be stuck here with someone watching me all the time and then I won't ever be able to research the veil.

You're not researching now…

"Oh shut up," Harry answered. He continued to write his lines, all the while thinking about how much he hated Snape. When he got to line 23 he accidentally wrote Snivellus instead of Severus. The accident startled him; he got out his wand and tried to spell it away. But none of his charms worked against the parchment. Using his index finger he smeared a bit of ink over the word. He didn't want Dumbledore to see the mistake; he'd probably assign more lines. Continuing along Harry was surprised to see that he made the mistake again, on line 26. After scribbling it out Harry clearly wrote Severus, but when it can to Snape he accidentally wrote Snake. It was one think to slip up when he was mindlessly writing along, but he knew he was being careful now. Why am I doing this? he thought.

Snape is a sniveling little snake, a voice suggested.

Dumbledore is going to be mad, Harry thought. I need to just do these lines and be done with them.

Ah Dumbledore, the voice replied, he's a bit senile at times.

Harry was writing the last bit of his statement, 'as such I am writing these lines.' I know why I'm writing the lines, he thought, it's a bit redundant, why would he add it in?

He's keeping you busy, answered the voice.

Ah yes, Harry thought, they all think I'm in a fragile state.

No Harry, the voice explained, Dumbledore is preventing you from knowing the truth. Just as he always does.

Harry felt his face get hot, that made him really mad. He always tells me half the truth, he thought, so I can go dodder around like an idiot.

And then someone dies, the voice said softly, because you don't know what you're doing.

"Sirius is not dead!" Harry shouted, stabbing his quill down on the paper and breaking it. He hadn't realized he was still writing his lines, although not exactly how Dumbledore had scribed it.

He's as good as dead, interjected the voice, while you site idly by and let him rot behind that veil.

The remark cut deep into his soul. Feelings of guilt flooded over him and memories of the dream flashed back into his mind. He couldn't breathe; the stress of it all was choking him. "What do I do?" he asked quietly, as a tear rolled down his cheek.

You know what to do.

xxxxx

Filled with determination Harry ran upstairs. He madly ripped books off the wall, he didn't know what titles he was picking, he could read them all. With as much as he could carry and levitate he went upstairs to the attic, where no one could find him, and got to work.

In the attic he would grab a random book and thumb through it. If he didn't find anything interesting he would chuck the book across the room. Anytime he found mention of a veil, or curtain he would rip out the page and hang it on the wall. After a while he noticed that sometimes v-e-i-l would be hidden in the text, with extra letters in between it. Of course information would be hidden, eventually he would find a pattern. He started circling all the letters, v, e, i, and l and drew lines to link them together. He continued wildly ripping papers out of books, tacking them to the walls, and scribbling over them.

He didn't notice the time passing until he woke up lying on the floor. He could see through vents in the wall that the sky was black. Gasping, reality snapped back to him. He got up quickly, pocketed his wand, and ran his fingers through his hair. He was still in his pajamas and probably looked horrible. But he had to get back down to the kitchen before they knew what he was up to.

When he got to the kitchen he was surprised to find that no one was there. His inkpot lay on its side and ink ran all over the table and down to the floor. Harry was happy to see that no one had messed with it. Relieved he began to clean up his mess. He wished he had his watch on, he knew it had to be getting late.

"Potter," Snape snapped, "Where have you been?"

Harry turned around and to meet eyes with the livid Professor. "I, er, I fell asleep," Harry replied.

"And where was that? You weren't in your bed."

"What were you doing in my room," Harry asked.
"Don't change the subject Potter," Snape snarled.

"Or what you'll run along to Dumbledore?" Harry sarcastically replied. He turned away to continue cleaning up his mess.

Snape snatched the parchment out of his hand. "Dumbledore will be seeing this, I had no idea you could be creative."

"I suppose you have no idea about a lot of things," Harry casually retorted.

"All right Potter," Snape sneered, "you're lucky Dumbledore thinks you're a bit fragile right now. Famous Harry Potter can do and get away with whatever he wants. But he asked me to keep you safe and at the moment you can't be trusted. So you're to stay here in the basement until Dumbledore can figure out what to do with you."

"Oh yeah right," Harry responded, "Like I'm going to stay here. I think its time for bed." Harry strode over to the stars and started to walk up them. The second step chucked him backwards and he fell on his back. "What do you think you're doing, attacking a student?" Harry yelled.

Snape was busy transfiguring the end of the table into a small bed. "I didn't do anything Potter. Now if you're tired, feel free to go bed." Snape sat down at the other end of the table and started to look over Harry's parchment.

"Like I'm going to sleep here with you watching," Harry replied.

Without looking up from his the parchment Snape raised his wand and with a flick a large thick curtain surrounded the bed. Although the black fabric didn’t move, it distinctly reminded him of the veil.

Harry reached his hand in his robe and pulled out his wand, pointing it towards Snape he yelled, "You let me out of here right now!"

"Expelliarmus," Snape spoke fast. Harry's wand flew out of his hand, fell to the floor, and rolled under the table. Harry dropped to the floor and crawled after it. Meanwhile Snape warned, "Potter, that is the last time you point your wand at me. If you do it again I will confiscate it." For a moment Harry thought he might be able to attack, but as he stood up he pocketed it. He knew he would have a chance later, when Snape was off guard.

Harry sat down at the table, for a moment he didn't know what to do. Although he hadn't eaten since breakfast he didn't feel like eating. He was way over tired, but he didn't feel like sleeping either. So he sat and glared at Snape. Whether Snape noticed or not he didn't say, this irritated Harry to no end.

"May I have my quill and parchment back?" Harry blurted out.

"No," Snape flatly replied

"Why not, Dumbledore said to do my lines," Harry whined.

Snape raised an eyebrow and glanced momentarily at Harry, but said nothing. He had set Harry's parchment aside and was looking through another old book. Harry glared at Snape some more, for an instant a small part of him knew he was being stupid. He had no idea what time it was and he was having trouble keeping his head up. But he didn't want to let Snape win by going to bed.

xxxxx

Suddenly Harry found himself back at the Department of Mysteries, standing in front of the veil. He reached out to touch the swaying black cloth, but before he did Sirius stepped out of it. Sirius looked beyond angry, his bloodshot eyes pierced through Harry.

"You're wasting time you cowering little nitwit," Sirius glared. Harry backed away, but was caught when Sirius wrapped his hand around Harry's neck. As the grip tightened Harry struggled to breathe.

"Sirius, I-" Harry tried to speak, but the hand around his neck tensed. Tears flowed freely from his eyes.

"You weakly little good for nothing boy," Sirius sad shaking him. Harry pulled back; breaking free of the hold, Harry fell. He hit his head hard on the stone floor. The pain shot quickly through him, his stomach twisted.

"Harry… Harry."

Harry recognized the voice, but couldn't make it out. He looked around, but everything was blurry. The motion made him sick, a strong hand held his head steady. Harry flinched to get away, but it was too strong.

A cup was pressed to his lips, "Drink Harry." He could imagine the twinkling eyes, when the man spoke. Dumbledore, he thought. He felt safer and relaxed his jaw, letting the liquid flow into his mouth.

Swallowing, the room around him felt steadier. Over time his eyesight came into focus. Dumbledore sat a few feet away studying his face. Harry realized he sprawled out on the floor. Someone was still holding his head steady, but Dumbledore was too far away. Startled Harry glance over his shoulder, Snape stared back at him. Horrified Harry pushed himself away and attempted to stand. That was not a good idea, the sickening feeling returned to his stomach and all he managed to do was flop onto his side.

"Harry calm down," Dumbledore comforted, "you just hit your head fairly hard on the ground."

"How… what happened," Harry was so confused. Last thing he remembered he was sitting at the table.

"You were asleep Harry," Dumbledore explained, "at the table. And then suddenly jerked backwards."

"How long was I asleep?" Harry asked.

Dumbledore looked to Snape who answered, "About an hour."

"How long have you been here Professor?"

"Oh, less than twenty minutes," Dumbledore replied. "I came for breakfast. I am a bit shocked to find you sleeping here at the table."

"Well Snape wouldn't let me go to bed," Harry defended himself.

"Professor Snape Harry," Dumbledore corrected. "And I agree with his decision, you are not in a fit state to be left alone." Harry face became hot, he tried to get up and storm out of the room. But his stomach reminded him why he was sitting.

"Well of course," Harry yelled, "now that I have a concussion."

"You don't have a concussion," Dumbledore responded. "But when was the last time you ate?" Harry shrugged; he didn't want to admit that it was breakfast the day before. "And how much have you slept?" Harry honestly didn't know the answer to that so he just looked away. "So alas, someone will be here with you from now on to make sure that you take care of yourself."

Harry blurted out the first thought that came to mind, "Not him."

"Harry, you don't have much of a choice in the matter," Dumbledore said calmly. "And since my punishment seems to have failed, Severus has come up with his own idea."

"What?" Harry asked sheepishly. Dumbledore didn't respond so Harry continued with more confidence, "Well at least I should be aloud to sleep in my own bed, I'm not staying down here!"

"You will do as you're told, until you earn the trust Harry," Dumbledore responded. Harry didn't argue anymore, he knew there was no point to it. "So what would you like to do first Harry, sleep or eat?"

Harry glared at him for a moment; he wanted to get away from them all. "I'll sleep thank you," he snidely remarked.

Again he tried to stand, but Dumbledore stopped him. Taking the cup out of Snape's hand he said, "Harry drink the rest of this."

He took the cup and looked at the contents, "What is it?"

"It's a unique blend," Dumbledore explained, "A combination of Calming Draught and Sleeping Draught with a bit of Dreamless Sleep. It's a really marvelous potion and will provide you with a sound nights sleep."

"I'm not drinking anything he made," Harry said pointing at Snape.

"Potter, if I'd poisoned the potion you'd be dead already," Snape snapped.

"Fine," Harry said annoyed and gulped down the cup's contents.

Helping Harry to his feet Dumbledore said, "Now let's get you to bed before you fall asleep right here on the floor." He walked Harry to the bed and then left him alone.

Harry wished he could go upstairs to his room, the thought of sleeping in the kitchen aggravated him. But the potion was already taking effect; he needed to lie down before he fell down. Harry kicked off his shoes and shrugged of his robe. Crawling onto his bed he heard the men speaking on the other side of his curtain.

"Professor," Snape sounded annoyed, "The boy has some vendetta against me, perhaps you could find some other baby-sitter."

"Right now Severus you're the only one I can trust with the job. As you know Remus and Rubeus are otherwise engaged."

"What about the Weasleys?" Snape asked. Harry enjoyed hearing the man complain. If he had to suffer, then so too should Snape.

"I don't believe Molly could handle him just yet," Dumbledore explained.

He continued to say more, but Harry couldn't concentrate on it. Instead he thought about Snape's potion. He could feel his body calming down into a deep sleep.

He poisoned you, a voice whispered into his ear.

"No!" Harry yelled, fear tried to rise up in him. But his body relaxed and his mind wandered off into a deep sleep.

xxxxx

Harry didn't know how long he slept, but when he woke up he felt more refreshed than he had in a long time. He stayed in bed, listening to the room, but after a short time he got up quietly and put on his robe. Stepping out of his curtain he was surprised to find Mrs. Weasley and Professor McGonagall siting at the table. Mrs. Weasley was knitting, while Professor McGonagall was busy writing something. Neither of them seemed to notice he was up.

"Good morning," Harry said in a sarcastically sweet voice. "I see Snape has managed to weasel his way out of baby-sitting duties. So what's for breakfast?"

"Professor Snape will be back shortly Mr. Potter," said Professor McGonagall, she didn't sound amused. "Now sit down." Harry did as he was told and a plate of food appeared in front of him. Neither of the women spoke, so Harry ate in silence. When his plate was empty McGonagall spoke again. "Follow me," she commanded. Professor McGonagall got up and started walking up the stairs. Slowly Harry followed her, but hesitated before stepping on the first stair. "Hurry up," she said without looking back. Harry obeyed, but half expected the stair to chuck him backwards. He followed Professor McGonagall all the way up into his room. "Gather some clothes," she ordered, "And go in and take a shower. I trust you can bathe yourself."

"Of course I can!" Harry blurted out.

"You have fifteen minutes," she warned as Harry gathered up a set of clothes.

He contemplated asking her what would happen if he took too long, but changed his mind. He sprinted in to the bathroom and pulled off his clothes.

He was about to pull of his pendant, but a voice in his mind shouted, No! She wants to take it from you. Keep it on.

You're right, Harry thought back. Leaving the pendant on he quickly showered and got dressed. Combing his hair he heard a knock at the door.

"Mr. Potter your times up," shouted Professor McGonagall. Tucking his pendant safely below his shirt he stepped out of the room. "Now back downstairs."

"Can I at least gather some things?" Harry complained.

"No."

"But I-"

"I said no," McGonagall cut him off.

Harry knew there was no point in arguing and went back down to the basement. There, Harry found that the table had been piled high with old cauldrons, dripping with a menagerie of potions. Groaning, Harry didn't need any explanation, he knew what Snape had in mind.

"Potter," Snape sneered. Harry was startled; Snape had a way of blending in with the room and then suddenly being right behind him. "You will wash these cauldrons, wandless. Not that magic would help anyway, most of these are from charmed potions."

Harry rolled up his sleeves to get to work, he wanted to be as compliant as possible so that they would leave him alone again. Meanwhile Professor McGonagall and Mrs. Weasley left. Snape pulled one of the chairs away from the table and sat down to read a book. Harry tentatively reached out to select a cauldron.

"Potter," Snape snapped, causing Harry to jump back. "Do you have any idea what you're about to touch?"

"I, er…" Harry didn't know.

"Gloves Potter," Snape sneered, "Are you completely incompetent?"

Grumbling, Harry grabbed a pair of dragon hide gloves that were sitting next to the bucket of soapy water. Insufferable git, Harry thought to himself as he pulled on the gloves. Of course I don't know what's all over these cauldrons.

For a while Harry scrubbed in silence. After a short while he had eleven cauldrons sparkling clean. But when he got to the twelfth, something happened that he didn’t expect. He had a firm grip on the cauldron, but then he watched his hands casually let go. The cauldron hit the floor and crashed into a thousand pieces. Cognitively he didn't mean to, he was thoroughly confused- but why, what happened… how, Harry thought. It was as if his hands wanted to drop the cauldron.

"Potter, could you be more careless," Snape criticized, jumping to his feet he swiftly walked over to Harry. "Move back," he said shoving Harry away from the mess. Snape muttered a spell in a language Harry didn't recognize. The floor was clear of all the cauldron pieces, but a distinct green tint remained on the stones. When he was satisfied with the floor Snape looked back at Harry and asked, "Did you get any of the potion on you?"

What do you care, Harry thought, but didn't say anything.

"Fine, get back to work. And try to control yourself," Snape commanded as he returned to his chair. Harry watched Snape for a while, he tried to read the cover of the book, but it was just too far. Perhaps it has something on the veil, Harry thought. Oh the veil- Images of Harry's dream flooded back to him. Sirius was so mad. Instinctively raised his hand to protect his throat, his body started shaking.

"Potter, what do you want?" Snape asked.

Blushing Harry realized that he was staring at Snape. Looking away, Harry grabbed another cauldron and began to scrub. He felt his hand flinch, it wanted to let go again. No, he thought and willed the grasp to stay tight.

Oh get rid of the unbearable git, the phantom voice instructed. You have more important things to do.

I can't, Harry thought. There's nothing I can do.

Fine, let Sirius toil behind the veil, the voice taunted. It's your fault he's there and now you let him suffer. And for what, to please his worst enemy?

"No!" Harry shouted, as his hand swung out and knocked several cauldrons off the table. This time he backed away from the mess and looked desperately at Snape. He didn't mean to hit the cauldrons, only a part of him did. But how could he explain that to Snape.

"Potter what's wrong with you?" Snape shouted.

"I... I," Harry stammered.

Snape cleaned up the mess and then looked intensely at Harry. "Sit down," Snape commanded as he pulled a chair away from the table. Obediently Harry sat down and Snape continued, "Are you ill or are you really that careless."

How can I explain this, Harry thought.

You're a wimpy little boy, the voice ridiculed, you're too afraid to stand up to the big bad professor and save your friend.

"I am not," Harry yelled.

"Then explain yourself," Snape ordered.

"This is ridiculous," Harry shouted with bravado, but with each word he got a little more confidence. "I have more important things to do, now let me go!"

Harry got out of chair, but Snape pushed him back down. "You will do as you're told Potter," Snape snapped.

Harry stood back up with such a force the chair flew backwards. "Keep your hands off me, you sniveling git." Harry turned to walk away, but a hand grabbed his shoulder. Harry ducked to escape the grasp and fell to the floor. Rolling to his back, he pulled out his wand and pointed it at Snape.

"Expelliarmus," Snape shouted before Harry could utter a word. Harry scrambled to retrieve his wand, but Snape snatched it up.

"Give that back," Harry shouted as he lunged at the professor. Snape stepped out of the way and Harry toppled to the floor.

"I told you Potter," Snape scathed. "If you pointed this at me again, I would confiscate it." Snape tucked Harry's wand into his robe.

Feelings of despair crept over Harry. He was so defenseless without his wand. At any moment someone could attack him, someone always wanted to hurt him. "Please sir," Harry pleaded, "Give me back my wand."

"No," Snape said calmly, although he looked alarmed at Harry's desperation. Harry scooted back to the wall and pulled his knees to his chest. Hugging himself he buried his head in his arms. Snape stared at him a while, as if he didn't know what to do. But then he went back to his chair and continued reading.

What do I do? Harry thought desperately.

Get your want back you idiot, the voice answered.

"But how," he muttered quietly, as tears welled up in his eyes.

You've faced the Dark Lord and yet you can do nothing against this simple man? the voice scorned. "Think Potter, think!" the voice escaped Harry's lips. All at once Harry stood up and surveyed the room.

"There's nothing I can do," Harry pleaded.

"Potter, what are you talking about?" Snape asked, but his voice was barely audible.

"Oh you cowardly little twit," the voice shouted, but again the sound came out of Harry's mouth.

"I am not!" Harry yelled back pushing the pile of cauldrons causing many to crash on the floor.

"Potter-" Snape's voice seemed so distant. And yet when Harry looked over to the Professor, he knew what he had to do.

"He's attacking you," Harry shouted to himself. Harry could see Snape yelling at him, but he couldn't hear any of the words. He scrambled away, like a caged animal. But Snape stalked after him. Madly snatching up several cauldrons, Harry tossed them across the room. The first few crashed into the wall, far away from Snape. But finally one hit the ceiling and shattered, it's contents splashed all over Snape's head.

For a moment Harry snapped back into reality. He could hear Snape yelling, "Potter, control yourself." Snape quickly used the sleeves of his robe to wipe his face clean. He examined the potion on his sleeve and after smelling it all color drained from his face. "Potter, do you have any idea what you've done." Snape's knees buckled, he was falling to the floor. Large boils were forming where bits of potion had come into contact with is face.

"I-" Harry didn't know what he was doing. He took a step over, about to help the man. "I… He dissevered it," he shouted suddenly, "now you know what to do." Harry sprinted over to his discarded wand and snatched it up. Filled with conviction Harry dashed up the stairs two at a time.

From the top of the stairs Harry could hardly hear Snape's voice call out, "Harry…"