Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

A Painful Transition

Harry woke up the next morning with sunlight beaming in from the window. Gauging from the intensity of the light, Harry figured it must be late in the morning. He hadn't woke a single time in the night, in fact he didn't remember slipping off to sleep at all. The night before seemed blurry at best, he vaguely remembered the Order meeting. Sitting up he realized he still felt a bit groggy and figured that Snape must have added a sleeping draught to his bottle.

Standing up, he was annoyed to find himself trapped yet again in his crib. At least he knew how to get out now. It was a bit more difficult this time because he was wearing pajamas complete with little feet covers. Thankfully little round dots on the feet covers provided some traction and he was able to climb out without having to strip naked. Once free on the outside, he reached back through the wooden bars and rescued his plushie Hedwig.

Walking over to the door he was disappointed to find that it was actually shut. He contemplated a plan to try and climb up to the doorknob. But before he could execute it Snape opened the door and entered the room.

Snape nearly stepped on Harry before he noticed the crib was empty and paused to look around the room.

"Hi," Harry said as Snape's gaze found him.

With the flick of Snape's wand Harry pajamas transfigured into regular clothes. Harry giggled to himself when he realized he was wearing an outfit almost exactly like his school uniform, complete with the vest. All he needed now was a little tie and a robe with the Gryffindor crest.

"You need to eat," Snape informed him as he picked Harry up. Down in the kitchen Snape put Harry into his highchair and thrust a couple of bunt pieces of toast into his hands. "Eat," Snape commanded.

Harry stuck the toast in his mouth and tore off a small piece with his little collection of front teeth. He tried to chew it, but the bread was tough. Instead he let the bread sit in his mouth until enough saliva had collected so that his gums could mush it up.

Snape stood eating his own piece of toast and looked over his two remaining cauldrons. With his wand he put out the fire beneath both of them and then accioed an empty bottle. He poured each of the potions into the bottle, secured the lid, and then shook. The liquid in the bottle turned black and tar-like. Disgusted Harry nearly spit up his bread.

"How is it Potter," Snape snapped, "that you've managed to destroy all my potions, but the two that remain unharmed are for you?"

Harry muttered an apology and then shrugged.

Meanwhile Snape pulled out a small vial from a robe pocket that held a fine white powder. After twisting off the bottle's lid, he uncorked the vial and added its contents to the potion. Immediately the black liquid cleared up so that it looked exactly like water.

Harry sighed in relief; the potion now looked a lot more bearable. He returned to the task at hand, eating the dry toast.

Snape accioed more cauldrons and potion ingredients. He quickly got to work brewing a variety of different potions that Harry didn't recognize.

Silently Harry watched, he hadn't noticed the time pass until Dumbledore stepped through the floo. Right after him Madame Pomfrey flooed in as well as Mrs. Weasley.

Madame Pomfrey looked at Harry as if she had been briefed on his condition, but unwilling to truly believe it till she saw him herself. Harry was surprised to see her out of school. He didn't think she was in the Order, so why was she there?

"It's noon," Snape informed them all. "Time for the potion."

And suddenly it hit Harry. The potion, the one that might mean he'd have to live through all his past injuries, the one that had to be carefully balanced so as not to kill him… the potion.

He wanted to crawl away and hide- perhaps being a baby wasn't so bad after all.

xxxxx

After being checked over by Madame Pomfrey, Harry was taken upstairs to his bedroom. Snape put him down on his bed and covered him up with a blanket. Meanwhile the others all lingered outside the door.

"So Harry, I have to be here, to monitor your progress," Snape explained. "But do you want the others to be here as well? Molly perhaps."

Harry was busy shaking his head, but added a "no" to clarify. Really he didn't want anyone to be there at all, he knew whatever was going to happen it was likely to be embarrassing. At least he had his plushie Hedwig to hold onto. A part of him was glad that Snape was required to stay, he'd never ask the man to, but he felt better with him present.

"I'm going to charm your clothes away," Snape continued, "I doubt you'll find them very comfortable once you grow."

Harry nodded to show that he understood, but blushed as well. With a flick of Snape's wand Harry felt his clothes disappear and clung tightly to the blankets.

Ignoring Harry's behavior Snape handed him the bottle. Harry took it and started to drink the clear liquid. The taste was beyond horrible, something along the lines of rotten eggs boiled in a raw sewage.

Harry stopped drinking and held the bottle up. "Yucky," he explained.

"You have to drink it all Harry and don't stop," Snape encouraged as he gently pushed the bottle back into Harry's mouth.

Filled with determination Harry sucked away. After a little while he didn't notice the taste anymore. The liquid felt cool as it coated his throat and that feeling continued all the way down to his stomach.

"This is going to hurt," Snape informed. He didn't say it might hurt, like there was a possibility of reliving old wounds. No he said it was going to hurt. Startled Harry paused, the bottle squealed as air rushed into it. But after a moments hesitation he continued drinking away.

Over time the cool feeling in his throat and stomach turned into an itch. The itch became a burn. Harry tried to pull the bottle out of his mouth but Snape stopped him. Harry attempted to remain calm and endure the burning pain. But then he started to panic; he struggled to break free from Snape's pinning grasp. He flailed his arms wildly at his captor, but Snape didn't back down. Tears welled in his eyes; his stomach wanted to reject the potion. It was too overwhelming, he couldn't breathe, he was drowning and still Snape pressed the bottle into his mouth.

His stomach cramped up, he was going to vomit. Finally Snape pulled the bottle out of his mouth just as he spit out a bit of the rejected potion. Coughing Harry gasped for a breath.

But no relief came, the burning continued to spread over his entire body. First he felt his bones extend, all the growing pains he'd ever felt seemed to magnify beyond comprehension, he thought his skin would tear open. His teeth cut out through the gums, but he couldn't cry out in pain. He had an acute sense of each and every inch of his body, every last tissue burned in agony. His body was completely rigid, he wouldn't move for fear of causing yet more pain. His mind went blank and then he realized he was going to die.

A strong hand grasped his. Instantly he regained a sense of reality. The pain would pass- he could make it. And slowly it did, leaving him feeling more like a pile of jello than a real human being. Even though the pain was gone, Harry didn't want to move for fear of bringing it back. But eventually he relaxed his clenched jaw and opened his eyes.

"Very good Harry," Snape commented.

His eyesight was blurry and when he turned his head he felt like he might sick up again. Harry tried to sit up, but he felt too weak and small- he still felt small. Raising an arm he realized it looked more like a young child's, far from his sixteen year old self.

"Why… what happened… how-" Harry tried to ask, but couldn't think of the right question.

Meanwhile Snape said a few cleaning charms and started examining Harry's eyes. Everything was still blurry so Harry couldn't see the expression on Snape's face. But he caught sight of the bottle, he had only drank half the contents.

"I'm sorry," Harry said quickly. Harry was starting to worry, Snape had said to drink it all. He hadn't aged much, not much at all. "Hand it back to me," Harry said, reaching for the bottle, "I'll finish it."

"It won't work anymore," Snape clarified, "it was formulated for your baby self."

"It didn't work," Harry groaned. Harry thought back to an earlier conversation between Snape and Dumbledore. All along Snape didn't think the potion was going to work and now Harry had proved it. Was this why Snape knew he would fail, because he had been too weak to drink it all. And then Harry remembered Dumbledore's threat, was Snape going to be sacked now? "I'm so sorry Snape," Harry blurted out, "I don't mean to get you in trouble."

"Potter what are you carrying on about?" Snape snapped. Barely listening to the boy talk Snape examined Harry's hand, pinching the skin and releasing it.

"You failed… Dumbledore warned you… and it's all my fault," Harry said quietly. Biting his lip he looked away.

"Potter you-" but Snape paused to think back over the past few days and then continued, "Potter you misunderstood the conversation. And I have not failed, you have grown just as I expected."

Harry looked up at his little hand, "but sir I'm… I'm not…"

"No, you're not sixteen. You didn't honestly think you'd be able to age all at once?" Snape asked in a mocking tone. "It will take a least a couple of stages."

Yeah I had, Harry felt like shouting back. Snape never said anything about stages, how was he supposed to know?

"Here, drink this," Snape ordered shoving a mug into his hand. Harry sniffed at it tentatively, it smelled like Pumpkin Juice, but Harry was still a bit worried.

"It's just Pumpkin Juice," Snape said. "Now drink and eat." He sat a small plate of toast on the bed beside Harry. Slowly he sipped at his drink and nibbled on his bread. He half expected the burning pain to return but relaxed when it didn't.

After awhile Snape got up and opened the door. The others entered, apparently they were all fully aware Harry would still be fairly small. This irritated Harry to know end, as usual the last to know anything.

Madame Pomfrey swooped in quickly and gave Harry a full examination. She had with her a small set of glasses and after giving them a quick charm she handed them over. Harry put them on and was happy to see the world come back into focus.

Next Molly Weasley stepped up holding a box full of clothing. She pulled out a small pair of underwear and walked closer.

Holding tightly to the blankets shielding him Harry quickly said, "I'll manage on my own thank you."

"Of course," Molly said as she handed him the underwear and then a pair of pants and a red jumper. Harry held onto them, but there was no way he would dress with a crowd.

"How are you feeling Harry?" Dumbledore asked politely.

"Er… I've been better," Harry replied. At the moment he was feeling especially drained and wanted to just curl up and go to bed. And even though the pain was gone, he felt increasingly worried that it might randomly spring up again.

"Potter needs his rest," Snape interjected.

"Right," Dumbledore added with a nod.

The others left, but Snape remained as Harry finished eating. For a while he didn't speak, but then asked, "is the pain gone?"

"Yes," Harry answered.

"Tell me how you feel," Snape probed.

"Weak and awfully drained," Harry replied and then added, "are we going to have to do that again?"

"Yes," Snape responded. But then in an oddly comforting tone he continued, "The next couple stages should be a bit easier to endure. A person grows a lot in the first years of life."

Harry looked away; he didn't know how he could endure the pain again, knowing how bad it was.

After drinking the last of the Pumpkin Juice, Snape took away the dishes. And then he said, "lay down and rest. If you need anything or start feeling any pain, call out. I will be just down the hall."

"Yes sir," Harry replied as he curled up into a comfortable position.

After Snape left the room Harry realized he had forgotten to act naïve, as if he couldn't remember what happened as a baby. But it was too late, they all knew Harry had his sixteen-year-old mind as he clung onto Snape in fear. Drifting off to sleep, he wished he could take it all back. He knew once he was back in school, he'd never live it down.

xxxxx

After a few hours Harry woke up. He quickly dressed underneath his blanket, just in case someone felt it necessary to check on him. Before leaving he rifled through the box of clothes to make sure there weren't any smaller pants. The pair he had on was a touch too long and much too big around the middle. He also located some socks, but was unable to find any shoes.

Carefully holding his pants up Harry left his room and walked down the hall. He found Snape's door ajar and the man sitting at his desk studying.

"Excuse me sir," Harry said tentatively from the doorway.

Quickly Snape got up and came over to Harry. "How are you feeling," he asked sincerely.

"I'm okay," Harry replied, but his stomach growled loudly to say otherwise.

"You're hungry," Snape pointed out.

"Well yeah there's that…"

"Come down to the kitchen," Snape commanded as he lightly grabbed Harry's arm and pulled him down the hall. Harry had a hard time keeping up and needed to sprint alongside Snape long stride. All the while Snape continued to speak, "I'm not sure why you seem so starved. The potion wasn't supposed to do that, perhaps I made a small error." At the stairs Harry tripped over his pants and nearly toppled down them, but Snape pulled him upright.

"The pants are too big," Harry said as he blushed.

Snape flicked his wand and the pants grew snug around Harry's waist and the cuff rested nicely just below the ankle.

"Thanks!" Harry said smiling.

"I don't understand," Snape continued. "You are emaciated and clearly dehydrated."

"Oh I was always like this," Harry explained. "I didn't eat much when I was growing up."

"Didn't eat much Potter?" Snape said sharply. "You look half starved."

Suddenly Harry realized Snape's confusion. Embarrassed Harry started to study the floor. He spoke quietly as he tried to clarify, "The Dursleys… they er… I was such a nuisance… they." Harry didn't know how to say it- he felt like shouting at the top of his lungs, 'they starved me okay. They locked me in the cupboard where I could smell the food I'd never be allowed to eat. I had to sneak out at night to get food.' But instead he blurted out; "I didn't eat much, now let it go."

Snape studied him for a moment, as if to contemplate how to respond. Harry shifted nervously, wishing that they could just move on. Finally Snape said, "You're going to eat now."

Harry was relieved when they started walking down the stairs.

In his chair Harry had to stand on his knees in order to reach the food. Mrs. Weasley had left a platter of self-filling chicken sandwiches and a large mug of Pumpkin Juice. While Harry ate Snape looked over his various potions.

"You don't eat much do you?" Harry said over a mouth full of food.

Snape didn't respond to Harry's statement but changed the subject instead; "Professor McGonagall will be flooing in later today to discuss the classes you will be enrolling in next year."

"Why?" Harry asked.

"A requirement, the Head of House meets will all the sixth year students before the start of term to make sure they select the appropriate classes for their chosen career path."

"Did you do that?"

"Yes, a while ago. It is late in the summer, surely Professor McGonagall would have met with you sooner had it been possible."

Harry was about to ask why she couldn't meet with him but then realized, "right, I transfigured myself into a baby. Will I be back to my sixteen year old body before I have to return to school?"

"Perhaps," Snape replied, "If you manage not to ruin anymore of my potions or destroy more of my ingredients."

"I… I'm sorry," Harry said quietly. Losing his appetite, he pushed his half-eaten sandwich away.

"When did you put on the Aurum Duco Pendant?" Snape asked startling Harry.

"Er… well," He had to think back, although it had only been a few weeks ago it felt like ages. "Let's see, the first day I was here actually. I mean, not the first night of course, but the next day, after the Order meeting."

"Where did you get it?"

"Up in the attic, in Sirius' trunk," Harry said. A fresh bout of guilt washed over him. He still felt responsible to find a way to rescue Sirius, there had to be a way. He decided to stick to his original plan and research the veil when he returned to school.

"What attic?" Snape snapped, pulling Harry out of his thoughts.

"The one on top of the building," Harry said sarcastically.

"Potter this building doesn't have an attic," Snape said sternly, he sounded as though he was losing his patience.

"Ha, I guess you don't know everything," Harry replied smartly.

"Show me."

Harry brought Snape all the way up the stairs to the top floor and then walked over to the small door leading to the attic. "Right through there," Harry said full of confidence.

"Potter, that's a wall," Snape replied flatly.

"Are you blind?" Harry asked as he reached out to the doorknob, "The door is right here." He pulled the door open and looked towards Snape, daring the man to continue the charade.

"I didn't know you were a mime," Snape casually commented.

"Fine," Harry yelled as he stepped through the small doorway.

"Potter!" Snape shouted in surprise. Although Snape was just a few feet away, his voice sounded muffled as if he were yelling through a wall.

"You really can't see it," Harry shouted back.

"Obviously," Snape replied. He held his hands up feeling an invisible wall.

Harry reached out and grabbed Snape's hand. The man flinched, at Harry's touch and then gasped when it was clear he could see the opening. Holding on tightly to Harry's hand Snape examined the old staircase. He pulled out his wand and uttered a series of charms. With his wand ready he slowly stepped through the small doorway, having to stoop a bit so as not to hit his head.

"Sirius' trunk is up here," Harry said excitedly as he brought Snape up the stairs. Reaching the top Harry was embarrassed, he had forgotten about the books. Ripped out pages were scattered everywhere, it really did look like the work of a madman.

Harry tried to wiggle his hand free from Snape's grip.

"Wait," Snape commanded. He mumbled another series of spells, examining the room.

"What's wrong?" Harry asked.

"I want to make sure that when you let go of me I don't find myself trapped in the wall."

"So you think you can see this place just because you're holding my hand?"

"Clearly," Snape snapped. "Now don't move." He tentatively released his grasp and looked around.

"You still here," Harry said, watching Snape's eyes, "in the attic I mean."

Snape gave Harry an annoyed look and then continued to survey the room. He picked up one of the ravaged books and read the title.

"Er… I don't suppose you could fix these," Harry asked quietly.

Snape raised an eyebrow; "the Reparo Charm is not beyond my ability." He started repairing the books one by one.

While Snape was distracted Harry wandered over to Sirius' trunk. He opened the lid and pulled out one of the long robes. Even though it was way too big he pulled it on. "Look, I'm Sirius Black," Harry announced.

Snape took one look at Harry and commanded, "Take it off."

"But why?" Harry asked confused.

"That's not Sirius' robe, take it off."

Harry looked down at the robe; he fingered the crest, and was surprised to see that it was Slytherin's. "Sirius was in Gryffindor," Harry said dumfounded.

"Exactly, now take it off," Snape said. Harry tried to obey, but Snape pulled it off of him before he could move. Snape then shoved the robe back into the trunk and shut the lid. Using his wand he warded the trunk, apparently to keep Harry out.

"But it's Sirius Black's trunk," Harry said sadly, pointing to the lettering.

"Are you a complete idiot?" Snape snapped. "Sirius is a family name, his Great Grandfather for example, was Sirius Black."

Harry stepped back and sat down. Leaning against the low attic wall he pulled his knees towards his body. He did think it was Sirius' trunk, his Sirius, he desperately wanted to have something of his godfathers. But he had nothing, just a stupid old broken mirror.

"Why do you think I can see the door to the attic and you can't?" Harry asked.

"It's your house," Snape commented.

"I doubt Sirius knew this was here," Harry replied. "He was trying to get rid of all his family heirlooms."

"Hhmm, well then I don't know," Snape said quietly. When finished repairing the books he said, "we should get back to the kitchen. Professor McGonagall will be here shortly."

Harry got up to walk back down the stairs. But paused and tried to think of a way to apologize to Snape. He had almost killed the man after all, left him to die. "Er… Professor." Harry didn't know how to say it; he didn't expect Snape to forgive him anyway. The Potions Master was notorious for holding a grudge.

"What is it Potter?" Snape snapped, clearly losing patience with the boy.

"I'm sorry sir," he blurted out.

"Just say it Potter," Snape replied.

"Er… what?" Harry asked confused. What did Snape want him to say?

"Whatever it is you're trying to say, just say it."

"Oh I did say it, I'm sorry," Harry clarified. Snape still looked confused. "Look I'm sorry I almost killed you, that I left you for dead. I'm sorry okay? I'm sorry." Harry looked away; he couldn't meet the Professor's gaze.

After a long awkward silence Snape said, "Forget about it. Now let's go back down to the kitchen."

That didn't exactly mean that Snape had forgiven him, but it was a start. Feeling a little better Harry turned and sprinted down the stairs. He was in the hallway before he remembered Snape.

"Potter," a muffled voice shouted. Momentarily Harry hesitated, watching Snape's searching eyes staring at an invisible wall. He giggled to himself as he contemplated leaving the man trapped in the attic. But then he reached out and took Snape's arm so he could step out.

xxxxx

While he waited for McGonagall Harry worked on his potion essays. His handwriting was phenomenally bad compared to his normal scrawl. Otherwise the essays were fairly easy to write seeing as he'd already done extensive reading.

Harry was so focused on his work that he hardly noticed the time pass and was startled when he heard Professor McGonagall speak.

"Harry," McGonagall called. "Harry I haven't got all day."

"Sorry Professor," Harry said as he looked up from his work. McGonagall was sitting down at the table only a chair away and Harry hadn't even noticed she arrived.

"You know why I'm here?" she prompted.

"Yes," Harry replied.

"What classes would you like to take?" McGonagall asked. "You got seven O.W.Ls so you can continue on to advanced studies within any of those."

"Well what classes were those?"

"You didn't read your letter?" McGonagall pressed.

"Er… no," he replied. In fact he had tossed the letter across the room and now he wasn't so sure where it ended up.

At this moment Snape saw it fit to toss the letter in Harry's direction. Tentatively Harry opened it up and looked over his grades. He got a Dreadful in Divination, but he knew that was a lost cause. He got a Poor in History of Magic, but after all he had passed out during that exam.

"Hey look," Harry said, pointing to the letter, "I got an Exceeds Expectations in Potions."

"As it would seem," Snape grumbled.

"So I can't continue with History of Magic or Divination, but I knew I wouldn't anyway. So this really doesn't help."

"What are your career plans?"

"Er… Auror I guess."

"You guess?" McGonagall chided. "This is serious Mr. Potter, you need to be certain."

"I am certain," he clarified, "I want to be an Auror."

"Then you must take Potions, Transfiguration, Defense Against the Dark Arts and Charms. And although it's not required I recommend you take Astronomy, it's only once a week after all and can be quite helpful. Then that leaves only one more class, what would you like to take Mr. Potter?"

"What's Ron taking?" Harry asked.

"You will not decide your course load based on Mr. Weasley," McGonagall snapped. "Now what do you want to take?"

"Well, Care of Magical Creatures I guess," Harry knew Hagrid would like his company. If anyone was going to continue in his class it should be him.

"Then that covers it Mr. Potter," McGonagall said as she scribbled down a few notes on her parchment.

"Take Herbology," Snape interjected.

"What?" Harry asked, "Why?"

"It will help you with Potions," Snape explained.

"But I already have a full course load," Harry pointed out.

"Drop Care of Magical Creatures," Snape said. At this point Professor McGonagall was glaring at him, apparently she didn't take too kindly to Snape's interference.

Harry didn't want to drop that class, although he didn't particularly fancy another year of dangerous creatures, he really liked Hagrid. He knew it would hurt Hagrid's feelings if he didn't take the class.

"I'm sure Hagrid will let you assist with some of his classes. There is no need to waste your time," Snape added.

Snape had a point and even though he didn't like to admit it, he was beginning to agree. "All right," Harry said, "I'll drop Care of Magical Creatures and take Herbology."

Looking a little put out; McGonagall crossed out some of her notes and made the change. After she was done she pulled out a steaming platter of roast from her purse. Shocked Harry tried to get a closer look at McGonagall's handbag as she pulled out a bowl of rolls and then a plate full of steamed corncobs.

"Who carries a full course meal in their purse?" Harry asked as McGonagall passed him a mug of pumpkin juice.

"What should I carry it in?" McGonagall replied calmly.

With the food staring him in the face Harry didn't care to discuss the matter further. He quickly filled his plate and started eating. It didn't take long for his stomach to get full, being small he really couldn't eat as much as his former sixteen-year-old self.

"Why do we work on all this summer course work, when we don't even end up taking all the classes?" Harry asked as he pushed his plate away.

"So you don't end up in detention," Snape replied.

McGonagall appeared to have been ready to give the same response. But she was busy gathering up the dishes leaving the left over food. She excused herself and left through the floo.

Sighing Harry returned to his essays, he had a lot to do, and the summer was nearly over. After he finished his potion essays he would need to go back a rewrite all of his others. Snape had managed to write comments all over his other essays, including the one for Hagrid on behavior of a Flash Caterpillar.

"Harry, you look tired, you should go to bed," Snape suggested.

Snape was right- he was exhausted. "Yes sir," he said stacking up his work. He climbed the stairs and went to bed.

xxxxx

In his dream Harry found himself alone. He was standing on the street of Privet Drive, watching the Dursley's house.

"He is not here my Lord," a voice growled.

"I know," Harry responded, but it wasn't his voice. "But you will find him."

Harry turned to look at the figure next to him. Evil piercing eyes stared back. Harry gasped, he tried to turn away, but instead he started to laugh. That horrible cackle he recognized as Voldemort's.

Desperately he tried to push Voldemort from his mind; he fought to wake up. But the evil figure held his gaze, Harry felt like it could see deep into his soul.

Harry managed to wake up, but a part of him still felt trapped in the dream. It could still see him. His scar flared painfully.

Harry climbed out of bed, holding tightly to his Hedwig plushie; he wanted to find Snape. He stepped out into the hall and was surprised to find several Order members loitering about. He had to squint a bit, coming from the dark room; the hallway was too bright.

"What's wrong Harry dear," Mrs. Weasley asked, bending low so as to see Harry eye to eye.

He wasn't about to explain his dream to her. She'd just flush with worry and in the end wouldn't be able to help anyway. Instead he asked, "What are you all doing here?"

"Er… well," Mrs. Weasley stammered. But then she looked over to the others for a way to respond.

"It's a full moon Harry," Dumbledore said.

"Oh," Harry replied. He tried to look calm, but a shiver went up his spine. Now he understood the evil figure from his dream. It was a werewolf, they were after him again and the Order members were here to protect him.

"I doubt the werewolves will be able to find this house," Dumbledore comforted. "We're here just in case." His eyes twinkled, Harry half expected the man to offer him a bowl of ice cream.

Harry didn't feel all that confident in Dumbledore's assessment of the situation. If the old man really thought the werewolves couldn't find the house, then he probably wouldn't be there. Besides, Harry could still feel the werewolf's gaze- it could see him- it knew where he was.

"Where's Snape," Harry blurted out.

"Professor Snape," Dumbledore corrected.

Harry rolled his eyes; Dumbledore could be really annoying. Harry didn't need to wait for a response; he knew where Snape's room was. He pushed past the others and walked down to Snape's room. He knocked lightly and waited for a response.

The door opened, Snape didn't look up from his work but said, "yes?"

Suddenly Harry felt completely ridiculous; he was standing there in bright orange Cudley Cannons pajamas. And then he had his Hedwig plushie, as if he were an infant, but he couldn't bring himself to put it away… not yet. He contemplated returning to bed, when the pain in his scar intensified. He groaned quietly and attempted to use his hand to rub the pain away.

"Potter?" Snape asked, sounding surprised. He dropped his quill and got up quickly, "what's wrong?"

Harry stepped in the room and then closed the door behind him. He practically shoved the door in Dumbledore's face, but he didn't care.

"It can see me," Harry blurted out as he turned back to Snape.

"Occlude your mind," Snape ordered.

"You know I can't do that," Harry cried.

Snape picked Harry up and carried him back over to his chair. Sitting down, Snape held Harry in his lap.

Harry didn't fight it, at the moment he didn't care about his pride. He clutched one of Snape's arms tightly. He could feel Snape legitimizing him. Harry didn't mind- he didn't have anything to hide.

The image of the evil eyes flashed into his thoughts. Snape flinched, but then Harry could feel the image being pushed away.

"Is everything okay Severus," Dumbledore asked entering the room.

Harry could feel Snape's mind leaving his and the evil gaze caught him again. Panicked Harry held tighter to Snape's arm.

"Headmaster," Snape asked gravely, "Please leave us. They can see Harry. The Dark Lord has made a connection and is leading them here."

"Yes of course," Dumbledore said and Harry could hear the door click shut.

Again Snape entered his mind and pushed the scary creature away. Slowly all of his thoughts seemed to fade away until he was left listening to Snape's steady heartbeat. Every now and then he would think of something startling, but that thought would be pushed away, until he was left with nothing. Nothing but complete calm.