Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Diagon Alley

Harry woke up the next morning feeling refreshed. He no longer felt the evil eyes staring at him and he was sure they were gone. An early morning light shone through the window assuring him that the moon was gone, the werewolves were back to their human form. Now he was safe, for a while at least.

He got up and dressed quickly. Opening the door to the hallway, he looked around tentatively. He really didn't feel like talking to Dumbledore or Mrs. Weasely. Thankfully no one was there, hopefully they were gone and he could just go downstairs for breakfast. Toast with Snape never seemed so inviting.

When he got to the top of the stairs just above the basement he paused. He could hear Dumbledore's voice. Frowning, Harry contemplated returning to his room- maybe he could wait them out.

But as he turned to leave he heard another voice that called him back. Before he could sprint down the stairs though Harry was caught. Snape had picked him up and was carrying him back upstairs.

"Lupin," Harry said excitedly. "I want to go see Lupin."

"No," Snape replied. "The werewolf can't know the state you're in. Remember only a select few know about your condition."

"But Lupin won't tell anyone," Harry pleaded. He tried to squirm his way out of Snape's arms, but the man was too strong.

"He's working too close to the Dark Lord," Snape explained, "the daft fool wouldn't be able to keep the information from him."

Snape hauled Harry all the way to the drawing room before he put the boy down. And there he warded the door before Harry could get out. Harry folded his arms and glared at Snape, but in the end he realized he looked like an idiot.

Snape sat down at the writing desk and looked over a pile of paperwork. Harry advanced at him, full of anger.

"So why can't I see Lupin," Harry asked, he tried to sound livid, but it came out more like a whine.

Snape scowled, "I already told you."

"But how is he 'too close,'" Harry asked mockingly.

"He's a werewolf," Snape replied as if the connection were obvious.

"So what, that doesn't mean he's on Voldemort's payroll," Harry retorted. He waited for Snape's response but it was becoming evident that the man wouldn't give up anymore information. Bitterly Harry said, "you're just like the others. Let's all keep precious Harry Potter in the dark, why I don't need to know anything at all. Perhaps when Voldemort is looming over me, ripping out my soul, someone will have the decency to tell me about it." Harry was red-faced and breathing heavily.

Meanwhile Snape stared at him, dumfounded, mouth hanging open. Harry wished he'd had a camera- no one would believe him. "And why aren't you at the meeting," Harry shouted, changing the subject.

"Perhaps it's best I don't know everything," Snape replied, regaining composure.

"I thought Dumbledore trusted you."

"He does," Snape replied sounding offended. "But inevitably information can be tortured out of anyone."

Harry didn't know how to respond to that. Blushing he looked down to study his feet. He never thought about Voldemort torturing Snape, but it was a distinct possibility. Harry knew the man had endured the Cruciaus Curse at least once.

"I'm sorry sir," Harry replied meekly.

"Sit down," Snape commanded, but the edge in his voice was gone. "Eat your breakfast."

Harry sat down in the chair facing the desk. A plate of toast popped in front of him. Ah, toast with Snape, Harry mussed. Only his toast was a bit different than usual. Taking a bite, Harry exclaimed, "strawberry jam! Thanks sir, that's my favorite."

After finishing his toast Harry got up to look around the room. He was glad to see that all of the books had been returned to the shelves. He hated to think that he might have destroyed some of the remaining things in the house. He scanned the titles, but he really didn't feel like reading anything. He glanced at the glass-fronted cabinets, but didn't look too long in case Snape was watching him. He circled the room a couple more times, but there was just nothing to do.

Resigned he laid down in the middle of the room and stretched out his arms and legs. He didn't know why, but he had this sudden urge to run around. He felt trapped; it had been nearly a month since he'd been outside. Restless he rolled to the side, maybe he climb the shelf. No, that was absurd, he returned to his back and stared up. He started counting the inlaid wooded squares that lined the ceiling. For no apparent reason he lifted his legs up into the air and started to pretend he was walking on the ceiling.

"Potter, what's wrong with you," Snape snapped.

Startled Harry let his legs dropped quickly to the floor. But before he could make up some random explanation the door to the drawing room opened.

Dumbledore walked in smiling, "Good morning Harry."

"Hi," Harry said quickly, he was already eyeing the open door. "Can I go see Lupin?"

"No," Dumbledore replied.

"But why?" Harry whined.

"Lupin is very busy and he's left already," Dumbledore explained.

Harry felt angry; knowing full well that Dumbledore was withholding information yet again. He considered a list of insults he could yell at that man, but finally settled on saying nothing.

Dumbledore went over to the desk and sat down in the chair facing Snape. The Potions Master looked up from his work and waited for the Headmaster to speak. Harry walked over and stood by the desk, daring them to send him away.

After some thought Dumbledore spoke, "Severus, when will Harry's potion be done?"

"Shortly, although I need to buy the final ingredient, unless you can spare Hagrid again."

"Can you get it in Diagon Alley?"

"Perhaps," Snape replied pessimistically.

"But you will try?"

"Yes."

"May I go too?" Harry piped in.

"No," Dumbledore replied sternly, leaving no room for argument.

Miffed Harry considered stomping out of the room, but realized just in time how stupid that would make him look.

"Any other concerns?" Dumbledore asked Snape.

"No," Snape replied as he bent down to get back to work.

Dumbledore got up to leave and said, "Good day gentlemen."

"Bye," Harry replied. When he was sure the old man was out of earshot he started muttering to himself. "Stupid old codger, lock me up, feed me sweets. I'm sure that'll do the trick. By the time I face Voldemort I'll be as fat as Dudley. Powers the Dark Lord knows not, yeah right- unless you count the ability to suck on lemon drops."

"Harry!" Snape snapped. Startled Harry looked over at the man, he forgot he wasn't alone. But Snape didn't look too angry, slightly amused maybe- but Harry really couldn't tell.

xxxxx

The rest of the day continued to be just as boring. Harry wandered around the house, he even tried running up and down the halls, but he still felt restless. He started whining to go outside, if only for a short while. But the answer was always the same, no.

The next day his trapped feeling only grew stronger. After breakfast he tried to help Snape with his potions. But he was too jittery and kept making mistakes; fed up Snape sent him away.

Standing in the Entrance Hall Harry decided to find a creative way to go back up the stairs. Using the spindles for support Harry climbed up the stairs outside of the railing. He was near the top floor before he got caught.

"Potter, what do you think you're doing," Snape snapped.

"I… er," Harry looked for a way to talk himself out of the situation, but really there was nothing he could say.

He felt his body levitating upward. Confused he held on tighter to the spindles.

"Potter let go," Snape ordered.

Harry obeyed and shortly he found himself levitated down to the ground floor. There, Snape loomed over him, the man looked furious. Harry had a hard time maintaining eye contact so he stared at the floor.

"Are you really that stupid Potter?" Snape chastised. "Looking to break your neck are you?"

Harry didn't know what to say, he felt like crying. It had been a long time since Snape had talked to him like that and he was surprised at how much it hurt. Harry tried to think about what he'd done to make the man so mad. Sure he was being a bit dangerous… But then Harry realized it was more than that. He really had been increasingly annoying- whining to go outside, running around, and even messing up with the potions.

"I'm sorry," Harry mumbled.

"It's time for lunch," Snape snapped, "try to control yourself long enough to eat a meal." The man stalked downstairs and slowly Harry followed behind him.

Harry sat down to eat and tried to be as quiet as possible. Snape went back to his brewing. He realized now why the man had been so busy with potions, it seemed as though Snape were responsible for stocking the whole school.

In his effort to be as careful as possible Harry accidentally knocked over his mug of Pumpkin Juice. It had been nearly full, making a huge mess of the area. Harry looked up at Snape, waiting to be yelled at- the Potion Master noticed everything. Inexplicably Harry found himself jumping out of the chair and darting up the stairs. He knew he was being stupid, but he ran all the way up the drawing room and hid under the writing desk.

He sat quietly, listening intently for the sound of stomping feet. Harry knew from experience, if he just stayed out of the way for awhile… Sometimes it worked with Uncle Vernon.

Harry heard the desk drawer start to open, had Snape come in and he didn't notice. He crawled out from under the desk a little to see who was opening the drawer. He was surprised when a hand reached down and pulled him up by the hair.

"Uncle Vernon!" Harry cried. He was too busy being scared of the man to realize how strange it was for him to be at Grimmauld Place.

"Into the cupboard with you boy, no meals," the fat man was dragging him across the room.

"No, no please," Harry begged. He felt like he was five again, back at Privet Drive. "Please, no. I'll be good, I'll stay out of the way…"

Snape grabbed him and pulled him away from his Uncle. Harry hid behind the man's long billowing robes. Get him Snape, Harry though.

Harry was confused when he heard Snape say, "Riddikulus."

It wasn't until the boggart was sent back into the writing desk that Harry realized what was going on. Embarrassed Harry tried to run out of the room, but Snape stopped him.

"I'm not scared of my Uncle," Harry blurted out. He knew how feeble his argument was; it was a boggart after all. But he really wasn't afraid of his Uncle, so he didn’t know why it turned into one.

"Harry," Snape said, stooping down to one knee he looked Harry in the eye. "I'm not going to turn into your Uncle. No matter how annoying you get, I'm not going to stuff you in a cupboard."

Harry didn't know what to say to that. He thought up thousands of reasons for Snape to chuck him aside- he really had been annoying lately. Not to mention the fact it was his fault he was a stupid little kid now. But Snape didn't back down from his statement, he just watched Harry intently, comfortingly.

Hoping that he wouldn't regret it, Harry let himself lean forward and hugged the man. He felt the weight of the world melt away when Snape hugged him back.

xxxxx

Later that afternoon Mrs. Weasley stopped by to drop off some toys for Harry. He felt a little peeved realizing that Snape must have asked her to. But in the end he was happy to get some news about Ginny and Ron.

Ginny hadn't been hurt at all and Ron, well Ron hit his head after the blasting curse and got a rather large gash on his forehead. Meanwhile Ginny had warded the compartment to keep the death eaters at bay. Then Arthur showed up with some of the aurors and apparated his children to safety before going back to the battle.

An hour passed before Ron had seen a proper mediwich and by then had lost a lot of blood. Mrs. Weasley didn't seem too happy for that and spent a little while muttering to herself about how Arthur should have taken Ron straight to the hospital before returning to battle.

Mrs. Weasley didn't stay very long, but asked Harry over and over again how he was feeling. He assured her that he was well and thankfully she believed him and left.

Afterwards Harry was left with a box of toys that he refused to look at, he wasn't a little child after all. But as time went by and boredom taunted him, he couldn't help but take a small peak at the contents.

The first thing he noticed was a small broom, he had seen them before at the Quidditch World Cup. Mounting the broom he flew around the kitchen for awhile, careful not to disturb Snape. He got annoyed quickly though, because the broom wouldn't allow him to go any higher than three feet nor do any fancy tricks.

Tossing the broom aside he went back to the box. Pushing a few items aside he burrowed to the bottom until he found a miniature quidditch pitch.

Intrigued he pulled it out and examined it. A small compartment in the base of the pitch opened up and contained the hoops, a trunk with the balls and fourteen players. The set looked old, especially the players who had long beards and large bellies.

Harry set up the hoops and the worked on bringing the players to life. They all seemed excited to play and sprung up into the air. Next Harry worked on opening the trunk to release the balls, but before he could several of the players complained that they were tired and flew to the ground to lay in the grass. Ignoring them, Harry tossed up the quaffle and released the bludgers and snitch. Without the keepers both teams seemed to score easily and some of the men were starting to get angry.

A fight ensued after two of the beaters ran in to each other. Shortly there after all the players were fighting, some hitting each other over the head with their brooms. Frustrated Harry scooped up all of the players and flung them back into the compartment. Even after the pitch was stowed back into the box Harry could hear the players shouting at one another.

Digging through the box once again Harry found a rubber ball. A simple toy, perhaps he could bounce it against the wall. Not the most exciting thing to do, but at least it might save him from boredom.

He tossed the ball to the nearest wall and waited for it to bounce back at him. The impact with the wall seemed to give the ball a mind of its own. It shot wildly back over Harry's head and hit the opposite wall. From there it turned to smack the ceiling. Picking up speed as it went along, it started ricocheting all over the place. Harry tried as best he could to catch the ball, but it was just too fast.

Flying past Snape's face the ball turned when it seemed to notice all of the potions. Horrified Harry realized the ball wanted to knock over the cauldrons.

Oh Merlin, Harry thought, Snape is not going to like this!

Before the ball hit a single cauldron Snape's hand flew out with catlike reflexes. He snatched the ball in mid air and then held it out to Harry. He said, "Perhaps you should take this upstairs."

"Right," Harry said nervously. He took the ball and walked upstairs. He wasn't really sure if he wanted to throw the ball again, but he did anyway. It bounced around the entrance hall crazily and after a short while Harry gave up trying to catch it.

He went back up to his room to see if Hedwig were around. He envied her ability to escape the house and fly. His room was empty, but he decided to look out the window just in case she was flying near.

He had to push his heavy trunk all the way to the wall just under the window. Even standing on top of it he was still a bit short, so he pilled up his pillows as well- it seemed like such a logical idea.

Now his head could peak out, but he wanted to see more. So he held onto the window frame and pulled his body up. He had a perfectly sensible plan to sit on the windowsill. It wasn't until half his body was hanging out the window that he realized he might fall. He teetered there momentarily, contemplating just how to get out of this tight spot, but he didn't have to think long.

Snape pulled him down from the window and set him on the floor. Snape stared at the boy for a minute and then quickly warded the window.

"Please tell me you weren't trying to jump out," Snape snapped.

"No," Harry explained, "I was just looking for Hedwig."

"And you didn't stop and think about the dangers of climbing out the window?"

Harry knew the answer to that, no he didn't think. But he wasn't about to admit the fact, so he changed the subject. "How is it you knew I was in danger," Harry asked, "I mean the window and earlier the stairs. Are you spying on me or something?"

"Potter, I merely have to wait five minutes, that's more than enough time for you to do something stupid."

Harry was beginning to feel sad whenever Snape called him Potter- it was like the man was waffling back and forth- still deciding whether or not to like him. "I'm sorry," Harry said meekly. And then he vowed to himself that he wouldn't do anything stupid again.

xxxxx

After dinner Harry decided to go straight to bed, even though it was early he was really over tired. It seemed as though no time had passed at all between his head hitting the pillow and his first dream.

He was back at Privet Drive, he was eleven and it was his first night home after returning from school. Uncle Vernon had already locked up Hedwig and his trunk, but at least Harry had his photo album- the one that Hagrid had made for him. In bed, with only the light glow from the stars outside, Harry watched his parents dance. He fell asleep that night, clutching the album.

Waking back at Grimmauld Place Harry crawled out of bed. He had a nagging feeling that he had forgotten something. He opened up his trunk and started pulling things out haphazardly. Frantically he dug; it had to be in there somewhere.

Reaching the bottom of the trunk Harry started to feel desperate. "No!" he cried. He started to sift back through the things he'd tossed on the floor; "it has to be here. I wouldn't leave it." His heart sank when he realized it was on his bed, under his pillow- like it always was. Tears were streaming down his cheeks, he knew he had to get it back.

His door opened and Snape stepped in. "What's wrong Harry," the man asked.

"I have to go," Harry informed him. "Back to the Dursleys, I forgot something. You have to take me back."

"I don't have to do anything," Snape snapped, but then he continued in a gentler tone. "Just tell me what you forgot and I'll add it to list of supplies I'm getting at Diagon Alley."

"My photo album," Harry shouted back through his tears. "Can you pick up pictures of my mum and dad? We have to go get it, the Dursleys are at St. Mungos, and they won't bother us. Please Snape, we have to go get it."

"Calm down Harry," Snape commanded. Harry tried to stop crying, but all he managed to do was start breathing weird. "Here, drink this," Snape said handing Harry a small vial. Without thinking he drank the contents. "Now Harry, I'll see what I can do about your photo album." Snape was picking him up now, carrying him back to bed- Harry was surprised at how sleepy he was. Tucking him in Snape continued, "About your relatives Harry, they woke up the night of the full moon and demanded to go home."

Harry tried react; he wanted more information. But a moment later he was fast asleep.

xxxxx

That morning Harry woke up to Snape poking his shoulder. "Wake up," Snape commanded.

"What's wrong," Harry asked regaining consciousness. He pulled on his glasses quickly and was ready to flee if they were in danger.

"Get dressed," Snape commanded. "We're going out."

Before Harry could completely register what was going on Snape had stepped out of the room. Alone Harry noticed a pile of neatly folded clothes at the end of his bed, along with a black robe and a pair of shinny black shoes. Aside from the white undershirt, everything was black. After putting the outfit on, Harry felt like a miniature version of Snape. He tried to stalk around the room and watch the robes billow, but couldn't seem to get it right.

Remembering the time- he wasn't sure how long it had taken to dress- he sprinted out of the room and ran all the way down the stairs.

Out of breath and panting Harry asked, "Where are we going?"

"Sit down and eat," Snape commanded. Harry sat down right away, but he had to breathe a bit before he started to eat his toast. "We are going to Diagon Alley to get a few supplies."

"You mean my school supplies?" Harry was so excited he couldn't sit still in his chair.

"No, Molly Weasley has already done that," Snape corrected. "There are a few things that I need."

"Oh," Harry was feeling a little less excited and a bit more confused, "then why are you taking me along?"

"I told Albus about your little theatrics. His golden boy, nearly falling out the window in a desperate attempt for air… Well after that he insisted I take you along."

Harry thought for a moment, he felt a bit angry over Snape's 'golden boy' comment, but overall the statement didn't add up. "I find that hard to believe," Harry said finally. Snape raised an eyebrow so Harry continued. "What I mean sir, is that it's more likely Dumbledore would tell you to ward all the windows or something like that. Me staying alive, that's more important than… more important than other things." Harry had meant to say 'than me being happy,' but he didn't want to get into feeling abandoned at the Dursleys'.

Thankfully Snape didn't try to pry any further. He didn't deny Harry's comment either, instead he changed the subject completely. "Time for the glamour charm," he said.

"What!" Harry asked, he nearly choked on his last bit of toast.

Snape lifted Harry out of the chair and set him down on the table. "A glamour charm," Snape replied, "you don't really think I'd be caught wandering the street with a little five year old Harry Potter."

"Well I didn't think I would be going out at all," Harry retorted.

In between different charms Snape explained, "if anyone should inquire; you're a Dempsey Collins, from a pureblood family in Ireland."

"Dempsey, what kind of name is Dempsey," Harry asked.

Snape replied, "Do you want to go or not?"

"Yes, I want to go," Harry said with a sigh.

"No one will inquire about you heritage," Snape continued. "There are many families in Ireland who like their privacy. Your father paid for some private tutoring in potions, so you've been staying with me for the past month."

"A five year old, receiving tutoring in potions?"

"Ah, pureblood families would pay a lot to help usher their offspring ahead. I get offers all the time."

"But you haven't taken the up before," Harry said but then reconsidered, "have you?"

"No," Snape replied, "Spend my summers with yet more children? Adolescents are bad enough." Harry was about to ask more questions, but then Snape announced, "done."

Snape transfigured a plate into a mirror so Harry could see his face. His hair was blonde now, although slightly darker than a Malfoy. His features were all a bit sharper than before and his skin was paler. He didn't look anything like himself; even his eyes were changed to blue. Harry touched their reflection and for some reason he felt bothered by the difference.

"Is something wrong?" Snape asked.

"No, I like it. So can we go now?" Harry jumped off the table and ran over to the floo.

"Yes. But one last thing before we go." Snape's voice became very stern as he continued; "you better behave yourself. Otherwise we're apparating straight back here- don't make me regret this. Do you understand?"

Harry nodded and then added, "yes sir."

xxxxx

Harry was surprised when Snape took his hand and they flooed to Diagon Alley together. On second thought, Harry realized that a five year old flooing alone would likely attract a lot of attention. Looking around Harry remembered that he had never flooed into Diagon Alley before. The last time he tried he had ended up in Borgin and Burkes- an experience he didn't want to repeat any time soon. Now he found himself in a busy floo station, with people coming in from places all over the world.

A million questions flooded to his mind at the same time. He wanted to explore everything, but a tight grip on his hand commanded him to follow. Once on the street Harry opened his mouth to talk.

"Where are we going first," Harry asked excitedly. He was having trouble containing himself; he wished Snape would let go so he could run ahead and look in the shop windows. "Oh can we go to Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes?" Snape was glaring at him now, Harry guessed why, and tried to cover up his slip. "I um heard of the store, in Ireland- um a friend told me." Harry finally shut up when it seemed Snape was ready to apparate at any moment.

Snape glared at Harry for a while more, probably deciding whether or not to just go. Finally he released his tight grip and Harry shoved his hands into pockets. Quietly they walked until they reached the Apothecary.

Inside the store Harry was surprised at how many interesting things were on the bottom shelves that he had never noticed before. A glass jar held some sort of live creature, Harry swore he saw it swim by the label. It was now hiding back in the murky depths, so Harry reached out to examine the container.

"Touch nothing," his Professor warned. Quickly Harry shoved his hands back into his pockets and vowed inwardly to control himself. It seemed as though no time at all had passed before they were back on the street again. Snape had a small package and was muttering something to himself about the incompetence of the clerk.

Harry was feeling pretty proud of himself as they went from store to store. He stayed close by Snape's side and didn't put up a fuss about anything, even when they passed by the Weasley's store without entering.

They reached the end of the street and started walking up the other side. Even though they had gone to dozens of stores, Snape carried only a small collection of packages. Harry was glad that they were walking back to the floo station. By now his legs were tired and his stomach growled.

Walking past Knockturn Alley Harry cringed and was glad they weren't going down there. But he was surprised when Snape stopped and pulled him over to a lamppost.

"You are to wait for me here," Snape commanded.

"What, you're leaving me here all alone?" Harry asked with a hint of fear.

"Oh toughen up, you'll be fine."

"But… but what about-"

Snape cut him off by grabbing Harry by the front of the robe and quickly pulled him close. Harry expected Snape to start yelling at him, or threatening him. But he was surprised when Snape merely whispered sternly into his ear, "Molly and Arthur Weasley are in Flourish and Blotts. Charlie Weasley is at Gringotts and the Weasley twins are in their shop. Kingesly Shacklebolt is holding an Auror meeting over at the café," Harry tried to look in the direction of the café; he hadn't noticed the Aurors before. "If you are in danger, all you have to do is shout out for help. Run to any of them, they know what you look like and are watching over you." Snape pushed Harry back over to the post and spoke louder, "is that understood?"

"Yes sir," Harry replied.

He watched Snape disappear down the alley and then looked back over to the café. Sure enough Kingsley sat with a group of aurors. Harry recognized Tonks and Jo, but the others he couldn't remember seeing before. Looking further down the street Harry was sure that he saw Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick stepping out of Obscurus Books. He tried to get a closer look at them, but someone tapped his shoulder.

Turning around Harry was surprised to find himself looking up at Hermione. For a moment he wanted to give her a big hug and say how much he missed her.

"Little boy," Hermione said sweetly, "are you lost?"

"No," Harry replied. He looked past Hermione's shoulder and saw an impatient Ron.

"Where are your Mum and Dad?" Hermione asked. Harry didn't know how to reply so he tried to back off a bit. Hermione continued, "why are you all alone?"

"I'm waiting for someone," Harry said quickly. He looked nervously towards Knockturn Alley and wished Snape would be back soon.

"Do you mind if I wait with you?" It was clear that Hermione wasn't going to leave Harry alone.

"Oh come on," Ron said with a sigh.

"I can't just leave the little boy all by himself," Hermione shouted back. Ron blushed and shoved his hands into his pockets. Hermione turned back to Harry and continued in her sweet voice. "How about I buy you some ice cream at Flourean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor?" Harry thought about it for a minute, ice cream sounded nice, but he knew he shouldn't wander off. "See it's right here," Hermione pointed, "we could sit at that table, its only a few meters away."

Hermione had a point; he was practically standing right in front of the ice cream parlor. His stomach grumbled- he really was hungry too. "Okay," Harry said taking Hermione's hand.

Ron looked annoyed, but didn't say anything as they walked over to the table. Hermione and Harry sat down as Ron went in to buy them ice cream.

"My name is Hermione, what's yours?"

"Dempsey," Harry said quickly, "Dempsey Collins, I'm from Ireland." He realized he didn't need to say so much information and blushed. He was beginning to feel really nervous, he was sure Hermione would recognize him if he talked too much.

Thank fully Ron returned with the ice cream and Harry dug in. The teens watched the small boy start shoving large spoonfuls into his mouth. They looked at each other, shrugged and started eating as well.

Every couple of bites Harry would turn and glance back at the Alley, nearing the end of the bowl he knew Snape would return at any minute. He was just about to excuse himself when he was pulled up by the ear.

"I told you to wait by the lamppost," Snape snapped.

"I'm sorry sir," Harry cried. He attempted to pull Snape's hand away from his ear; the grip was so tight that it hurt.

"Professor Snape," Hermione shouted. Harry completely forgot they were there. "Is that anyway to treat a child?"

Snape released Harry's ear and grabbed him by the shoulder. Hermione sat down quickly after Snape glared in her direction. Harry tried to say something, but he was yanked away.

Moments later Harry found himself in a public bathroom. It was completely empty and Snape warded the door. Harry was so scared he hardly realized he was still uttering his apologies.

"What did you think you were doing," Snape spat. "going for ice cream with a few friends?"

"She came up to me," Harry defended himself. "She wouldn't leave me alone. You know Hermione's like that- sees a little boy and can't help but protect him. I didn't see anything wrong, I just went a few feet away."

"You didn't tell her who you were?"

"No, of course not!" Harry cried. He felt like such an idiot as tears ran down his face. He didn't know why Snape seemed so intimidating now, but he so big and Harry was so small.

Harry rubbed his ear it still felt sore. Snape noticed and continued scolding him, "I told you to wait by the lamppost, I expected you to obey." Harry looked down at his shoes; he couldn't look Snape in the eye. "I'm a death eater, people expect me to be harsh."

Harry looked nervously around the empty bathroom and suddenly wished they were back on the street. He didn't know just how 'harsh' Snape was meaning to get. The man stepped closer to him and Harry backed away.

"Don't be stupid Harry," Snape said as he grabbed Harry's wrist. He lightly touched Harry's ear and inspected it. "I didn't hurt you that bad." Embarrassed Harry tried to wipe the tears out of his eyes. Snape pulled his arms down and said, "don't." Harry looked up at him confused, so Snape explained, "don't wipe your tears away. In fact, when we go out to the street try to look like I hurt you."

Harry nodded to show that he understood, but then remembered, "what about the Aurors?"

"Hopefully they're smart enough to stay out of it," Snape replied.

Snape grabbed Harry by the arm and started to pull him out of the bathroom.

"Are we going back now?" Harry asked before they reached the door.

"One final stop," Snape said opening the door.

Harry blushed when he saw a small crowd of angry wizards standing outside the bathroom. He faked as though he was protecting a sore butt and let the tears run down his cheeks. Snape pulled him down the street quickly and he had to sprint to keep up. They were heading back to the floo station and suddenly Harry was curious as to where they were going to go.