Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Visit

"You’re going to Sibiu for two weeks?" Draco asked. "I had no idea Trimdol lived there. Do you know where?"

"Well . . . not really. Severus knows, I think. Professor Trimdol wrote him."

"I can’t believe you’re going there! We own property there, of course, but we rarely go. The house is small and the neighbors are too close – no privacy! At least, that’s what Father says; mostly those purebloods who don’t have a lot of money. They may be proper wizards, but they aren’t of decent status."

"Right," Silas answered, rolling his eyes. "Anyway, we’re leaving tomorrow. Severus only just told me this morning, or I would have told you earlier."

"Tomorrow! But that leaves no time to prepare! And what about me? What will I do for two weeks?"

"I’m not the only one who visits you, Draco. We’ll be fine. But don’t forget to owl me! I don’t know if they have any owls I can use there, so I might have to wait until you send me a letter to write you."

"That’s stupid," Draco said. "Of course there’s owls in Sibiu! Might be house elves, too, but maybe not in all the houses. You are not going to be near muggles," Draco said, leading Silas to a small dining room. Severus said that the Malfoys were hosting a Leaving Dinner for them, a common tradition among wizards. Like the Leaving Feast at Hogwarts, only – according to Draco – better.

Severus wasn’t at the table, yet, and neither were Aunt Cissy and Uncle Lucius. There were a few house elves, preparing the dining room, all of whom jumped at seeing the two young boy enter so early. Draco just stood in the doorway, leaning against the frame with his arms crossed, but Silas watched with interest. Despite spending so much time at Malfoy Manor, he had only seen a few house elves; mostly only Dobby. Never had he seen them work before, and the way they were setting the table was . . . almost like a dance. It was very rehearsed, anyway, if nothing else.

The white tablecloth was magically hovered over the table, then the four house elves manually straightened it, setting the creases in the correct spots with an occasional ‘snap’. A black length of cloth, embroidered with some white pattern, was carefully placed down the center of the table and silver candles and a few assortments of decorations were floated down onto it. With the snap of a finger, the plates, glasses, and flatware seemed to set themselves.

"It’s not that interesting, Silas," Draco drawled.

"I’ve never seen the house elves work like that, before," he answered, and Draco shook his head.

"You really must get a house elf or two. It would be so much easier!"

"Severus would probably get annoyed with it . . ." Silas answered, watching the elves put the finishing touches on the room. "I don’t like him annoyed."

"Come on, Silas," Draco said suddenly, pulling Silas along. "We need to get dressed."

"We are dressed," Silas answered flatly.

"No, for the dinner! Uncle Severus brought you extra clothes, remember?"

"No . . ."

Draco rolled his eyes.

"Right. Alright, then, I’ll explain to you later. Dinner will start soon, and we can’t be late."

"I still don’t understand the point of dressing in different clothes for a meal," Silas grumbled, following Draco out of the dinning room, through the now-familiar maze of corridors to Draco’s bedroom, where a bag of Silas’ – which he now remembered his brother bringing – was sitting on the floor next to the foot of the bed. Opening it, he found one of his nicer sets of robes and shoes.

Quickly dressing, Silas and Draco walked silently down to the dining room.

Severus, Uncle Lucius and Aunt Cissy were all in the room when they arrived, sitting and talking. Aunt Cissy gave a smile when they entered, and Uncle Lucius a small nod. Suddenly timid, Silas smiled back and sat down next to his brother.

IIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

"Severus?" Silas asked after they arrived home. "Why do people dress differently for dinner? I remember the Dursley’s used to, too . . . not that I was ever allowed," he grumbled. "It’s just eating."

"Tradition, Silas," his older brother answered, and Silas shrugged.

"Can I swing?"

"If you wish," Severus answered and he watched as his little brother slowly walked out of the sitting room and out the back door. Odd, Severus thought. Silas was usually a bit more . . . energetic than that. Worried, Severus followed and, of course, found him swinging. Taking a chair from next to the house, one that Severus sometimes used to read outside, he placed it next to the swing and sat down, watching.

"Silas?" he asked after a bit. "Are you feeling alright?" Severus, trying to be patient, waited for Silas to decided to stop swinging so forcefully before speaking up again. "Silas?"

The young boy shrugged. "I suppose . . . well, I’m not going to see Draco for a long time. And then . . . Draco said something about Sibiu. Is it safe to go there?" Silas asked with hesitation.

"What do you mean?" Severus asked. "I am positive that if the Malfoys knew something was about to happen there, they would warn us."

"Not something that’s going to happen. Draco said . . . he said muggleborns and halfbloods aren’t allowed there. That only purebloods can live there and that anyone else who did try to live there died."

Severus sighed, wishing – not for the first time – that the Malfoys would put aside their dislike for muggles and their obsession with their pure blood line.

"Silas, that was a long time ago," Severus answered, not intending to explain more, but at the disbelieving look on his brother’s face, he realized he had to if the next two weeks were going to fly smoothly. "Over seven hundred, in fact." He sighed, deciding to start from the beginning. "About a thousand years ago, wizards in Sibiu separated from the muggles for many reasons. One, many of the muggles that knew of wizards and witches disliked the education the wizards were teaching their children. Two, the wizards were becoming annoyed with the muggles and the increase of squibs born in families – which were believe to be caused by the negative energy from the muggles – and wished to form pureblood lines." Severus shook his head at Silas bewildered look, and Severus realized that his brother must not know much about squibs.

"Do you know what a squib is, Silas?"

"A different kind of muggle?" he asked, and Severus nodded.

"A muggle who is born to a wizard and a witch, looked down upon for the inability to use a wand. Most squibs do have some magic, mind you, but not nearly enough to be accepted at any school of magic."

"Oh," Silas answered. "So . . . these muggles wanted to live in the wizard part of Sibiu and the wizards didn’t want that?" he asked, wondering why they didn’t learn problems like this in History of Magic. Binns and his stupid love for wars . . .

"Not quite so simple. As Diagon Alley is hidden in London, wizarding Sibiu is hidden in the muggle Sibiu . . . only it’s not so accessible, for many reasons.

"The purebloods kept the village clean – for the lack of any better word – for a few hundred years, but they assumed the damage had been done already – no more squibs than usual were born, but the situation did not become any better.

"A family of four – a witch, a wizard and their two magical children – were a powerful family in the 1200's. Despite the wizarding being a halfblood and the witch a muggleborn, they were granted permission to live in Sibiu. Seven days later, the entire family was found dead."

"How?" Silas asked. "People don’t just die."

"A curse is rumored," Severus answered, "as for seventy years after the first incident, almost 150 unpure families died in the same manner."

"And muggleborns still wanted to live there?"

"It’s a prestigious place to live, Silas. The deaths were mostly kept silent by the Sibiu Ministry, as at the time, it was usually the muggleborns who had the money to buy land and not the purebloods. After the deaths continued, though, a ban was issued and only those of pure wizard-blood were allowed to live there."

"So . . . there’s a curse?"

"I doubt that," Severus answered. "More than likely, it was a group of wizards who did not wish for their ‘squib’ situation to worsen and decided to take care of it when the Ministry refused to help."

"Oh. So . . . it is safe?"

"Yes. We would not be going if it were not."

"Good," Silas sighed with relief, then looked questioningly at his brother. "How do you know so much about it? Did you learn in History of Magic? I hope that Binns will teach us something more interesting than what we’ve learned last year."

Severus blanched for a half a moment, uncertain of what to say.

"No, not at Hogwarts. Having a friend such as Lucius, you learn those sorts of things."

"Oh," Silas said again, and Severus was relieved when he did not ask anymore questions about it. Any more curiosity – it could bring up topics he’d rather not have Silas know. "Have I walked in my sleep, lately?" Silas asked instead.

"No," Severus answered. "Not that I found. Any reason why you might?"

Silas shrugged.

"Just odd dreams, I suppose. Me looking through books and talking with strange people. Strange, but almost real." Silas answered. "Do you think the Thestrals are alright?"

"The . . . why?" Severus asked, confused at the sudden change of topics – again. Silas shrugged again, and he almost snapped at him to stop that.

"I sort of miss them. I know I only met them once, but . . . what would it be like to ride one, do you think?"

"You will not be riding one," Severus said forcefully. "Not when it is flying. Perhaps if Hagrid can ensure that it will not fly . . . but no. Too dangerous."

"Why not? I can fly on a broom decent enough. Why not the thestral?"

"Because you won’t be in control. Any sudden turn could be dangerous! Maybe people have died riding a flying thestral. They almost weren’t allowed to be used by the school for that very reason!"

"I was just wondering," Silas said, pushing off the ground a little with his foot, causing a slight swinging motion. "I was having dreams about them, too. Different than the others, but nice."

"Everyone has dreams." Severus’ voice was beginning to get annoyed, but Silas had no idea why.

"I know," Silas answered, and the two were silent for a moment while Silas swung a bit more before stopping completely and getting off only to stand and stare at his older brother. Slowly, Severus raised an eyebrow and Silas smiled, walked over to the chair he was sitting on and – to Severus’ surprise and slight annoyance – sat on his lap and gave him a hug.

"Silas," Severus answered after giving a small hug back and realizing that his brother wasn’t about to leave his lap. "You are nearly twelve – too old to be sitting on my lap."

"I don’t care," Silas said. "I never got to do this when I was younger, and I never have to you yet."

"Silas," Severus warned, and Silas sat back slightly, nearly falling off the lap, a hurt look on his face.

"Fine," he answered slowly, getting off and making his way around the garden and into the house. It took Severus a moment to realize what had just happened.

"Silas," he called out, standing. No answer. Worried about what he had just done – basically refusing to comfort his brother – Severus practically ran into the house. "Silas?" he asked from the doorway. Still no response, nor any sign of the boy. Immediately, he started his way to Silas’ room, and was dumbfounded when he didn’t find him there. Next, he checked his own room. Still nothing. Nearly growling, he called out again.

"Silas? Where are you, child?" It was a small house, and it was very likely that no matter where Silas was, he heard him calling, so when there was still no answer, the irritation that he felt before raise a notch.

Not wanting to start a search of the house – and knowing Silas well enough – he walked back to Silas’ room and looked around a bit more carefully before remembering the wardrobe. It wouldn’t be the first time that Silas hid there. Some nonsense about small spaces being comforting, even though he was forced to live in a cupboard for almost ten years of his life.

Opening the wardrobe doors at the same time, he, predictably, found Silas sitting as far back as he could, his arms wrapped around his pulled up legs. Severus didn’t know whether or not the lack of tears – or expression, for that matter – was a good or bad sign.

"Silas?" Severus asked, kneeling. Silas didn’t look at him. "I am sorry."

"I just wanted a nice hug," Silas finally answered, a slight pout on his face.

"I gave you a hug," Severus pointed out. "When you gave me one."

"Yeah, but it was short. You never give me long hugs until I’m sick or something."

"I wasn’t aware you needed a ‘long hug’," he argued, feeling out of his league, especially since Silas never acted like this before. "You could have just asked."

"But you would have said no or just given me a small one. I know that if I asked if I could sit on you for a little bit, you would say no, so I didn’t ask," the little brother argued back. "You never like hugs."

"Silas," Severus half sighed, not knowing what else to say. "Although you are still small for your age, you are a bit big to be sitting in someone’s lap. If you want a hug, just hug me, but I really would prefer if you did not climb into my lap on some whim of yours."

"Not like I ever got to before," Silas said with a huff. "Dudley always got to, no matter that he was twice my size, but I never got to."

"Silas," Severus responded in the only way he could think of. He rubbed his forehead hard, a motion Silas recognized as annoyance. "What would you prefer me to do? Give you a shrinking potion or a deageing potion so you can be carried about like an infant? Is that really what you want? I realize you had a bad time at the Dursley’s – we went over that many, many times – but you shouldn’t let what they’ve done to you control you’re life. I’m here for you – I will always be here for you, until the day I die, but you are not an infant and I will not treat you like one. Understand?"

"Why are you being so mean?" Silas asked, keeping his knees up, but moving his arms to cross in front of his chest.

"I’m not being mean!" he growled back. "I am trying to explain to you! If you would listen. Why are you in such a horrible mood?"

"I am not," Silas answered back.

"Yes you are!"

"No, I’m not!"

"Silas!" he hissed. "Stop this!"

"You! You started it!" Silas shouted, standing up and pushing the hanging clothes out of the way roughly, a few of the empty hangers falling off.

Suddenly, Severus grabbed Silas by the stomach and pulled him out of the wardrobe, sitting him on the edge of his bed. Severus stood there for a moment, trying to gain control of the situation and of his emotions. After quick overview of the situation, as he often did when he was about to loose control, he nearly laughed.

They were fighting. Like brothers.

Silas appeared to have noticed the almost-smile that almost broke through Severus’ almost-sneer, because a confused look crossed his face, his anger almost forgotten. Suddenly inspired, Severus nearly lunged at his brother and started tickling him. Stunned and frozen for a few seconds, Silas tried to curl up tight and started giggling and Severus climbed up onto the bed to put himself in a better position to tickle and out of the way of the now-kicking feet of his eleven year old brother.

Some part of Severus’ brain told him to stop – that he shouldn’t be doing this. It was pointless, they were both too old to be playing around like this, and if anyone walked in on them at that moment – perhaps Draco bringing something to Harry that he forgot at the manner – he was sure he would never live it down. But honestly, he didn’t want to stop. It was nice, hearing Silas laugh that way and it felt . . . good to laugh as much himself.

Silas somehow twisted his body so his feet were pointed toward Severus and his upper body was hanging off the bed, his face becoming red from laughing and being upside down. Suddenly, the young wizard loosened himself from his brother’s grasp and tickles and managed to make it out of the room and to the stairs, Severus catching him about halfway down. Trapping him on the stairs, Severus continued to tickle, this time adding pokes on his little brother’s sides at unexpected moments.

Expected, perhaps, but not anticipated, Silas started to tickle back but was disappointed to find that his brother wasn’t ticklish in the same areas he was. The attack cause Severus to start tickling back even more, and Silas blushed as he let out a childish squeal in an extra-sensitive spot.

They both froze as a slow "dong-dong" from the front doorbell sounded throughout the house. That was odd in itself – it was rare that a neighbor called on the house as Silas tended to avoid the other children in the neighborhood, and Severus the adults – but it was also rather late for anyone to visit. Nearing nine now, Severus realized.

"Silas, ready yourself for bed. We are leaving early tomorrow."

"Okay," he answered without a fuss, a grin still large on his face. Trying to stop smiling, and having to give up, Severus answered the door.

Needless to say, he no longer had to try to stop smiling. For the lack of any other – perhaps better – response, Severus slammed the door and walked away. Unfortunately, in his re-found anger, he forgot to lock the door, and the unwanted visitor entered the house, only to be stopped by the arm of Albus Dumbledore.

"What is he doing here?" Severus spat at Dumbledore, not bothering to glance at Black.

"Mungo’s allowed a visit, with a chaperone."

"I want to see Harry," Black said flatly, but Severus shook his head.

"And why would I allow you to see Silas? After all, he is no longer your godson," sneered Severus. "He’s not even the child of your best friend."

Something dangerous flashed through Sirius’ eyes before he roughly tore his arm out of the headmaster’s grip.

"I know that," Sirius spat. "I’ve always known that he was not the biological child of James and Lily. Never knew whose child he was, but that never mattered, did it? Harry – Silas – whatever his name is, knowing I am innocent and that there was even the slightest chance I’d be able to see him again is probably the only reason I’m as sane as I am. Do you know how it feels, being in Azkaban, when I was supposed to be taking care of a child?"

"If he was raised by you, he would have had serious mental problems. Been just like you and Potter . . ."

Another flash through Sirius’ eyes. This one, though, confused Severus.

"No . . . well, perhaps a bit," Sirius said, quieting, and Severus understood. He was controlling his temper in order to see Silas. Severus inwardly smirked. As if he would allow that. "Actually . . . you’re probably right, I suppose. But . . . look, Snape, these sessions . . . they’ve been helping. I was ready to kidnap Harry – Silas, if he’d prefer to be called that – the moment I left Azkaban. I was mad with the idea, even. But . . . almost immediately Dumbledore came to me and explained the situation to both me and the annoying mediwizard and he talked me though it.

"I just want to see him. Meet him. I don’t have to be with him alone." Sirius paused. "I suppose he looks like you?"

"Almost exactly like Severus," Albus said, and Severus scowled at him, extremely angry at him for bringing the enemy into his home. "In Ravenclaw, almost put in Slytherin, I believe . . ."

Severus continued to glare at the headmaster, wondering what the old man was planning. Nothing good, he supposed.

"Of course," Black grumbled before shrugging. "I suppose . . . shouldn’t have expected much else . . . you’d have to be better than those muggle relatives of Lily’s, I’d suppose, raising a kid. But . . . horrid, they were. Lily said you weren’t entirely dark . . . I wasn’t about to believe her, myself, really, but Dumbledore said . . ." the man rambled on for a bit and Severus took another sneering stance.

"Pitiful," he said quietly, but loud enough for Sirius to hear and stop talking, a glare forming in his eyes. "Can’t gather your thoughts for even one complete sentence. I see some things haven’t changed." Glancing at Albus, Severus inwardly sighed. He knew he wasn’t about to rid himself of the Black filth until he complied with the request, so he took a step back. "You have five minutes with Silas, and I will be with you the entire time. If I feel you are any threat . . ." Severus let his threat linger between them, and Severus had to will himself not to pull his wand on the smiling headmaster.

After all, he would prefer to keep his job.

Sirius Black, after hearing this, nearly fell to his knees, but managed to stay standing.

"Thank you," he replied quietly. "Thank you. Thank you."

"He is dressing for the night. I will see if he is ready. Headmaster?" Severus asked.

"I will stay down here, if that is alright with you. I have much need of a bathroom . . ."

Quite merrily, Albus left the room, leaving the two dark-haired adults in the room alone, both glaring at each other underneath their blank stares, and neither saying a word.

"Stay here," Severus nearly snapped. "I will see if he wishes to see you and will bring him down if he does . . . do not touch anything!" He left for Silas’ room immediately upon seeing Black nod, although he took his time walking up the stairs. Silas, predictably, was standing in his doorway, looking torn.

"Who’s here?" the boy asked quietly, nervous-like, in fact.

"Albus Dumbledore – and, unfortunately, Sirius Black. If . . ." Severus stopped, not wanting to say it. "If you wish, you may speak with him for five minutes. Keep in mind," he sneered, "that he’s a bit mad . . . can’t talk correctly, for one. You might have some trouble understanding him."

Severus took note of the surprise and excited gleam that entered his brother’s eyes. Still, he appeared nervous.

"I can?" he asked slowly. "You won’t be mad? Are you sure?"

"Go, if you are completely ready for bed," Severus said quickly, and Silas headed for the stairs before his brother could change his mind. He stopped before descending, though, noticing that Severus hadn’t moved.

"You are coming, aren’t you? I . . . don’t want to meet him alone."

"I wouldn’t leave him alone with you," Severus drawled. "I told you he’s mad . . . he might decide to run with you."

Silas gave him a innocuous look, and Severus gave a relieved sigh, understanding him even before the child spoke up.

"I don’t want to live with him. I would never go with him! But . . . the Potters chose him for my godfather for a reason, right?" Silas also sounded relieved, and Severus realized it was because he was meeting someone from his adopted parents’ life, bringing them back, again, the their mother’s abandonment of Silas. A topic Severus did not want to breach, as it would only make both of them irritated.

Suddenly, Silas’ demeanor changed as he bounded down the stairs, nearly slipping because he was in socks.

"Careful!" Severus hissed, and Silas sent him up a smile as Severus stalked down the stairs. In another sudden burst of childishness, Silas grabbed Severus by the hand and pulled him, an action that obviously surprised the once-thought felon when they came into view. Silas stopped short, not letting go of his brother’s hand.

"Silas?" Sirius asked, and the small boy nodded, and the stranger gave a small huff. "Well, you really do look like Snape, don’t you?"

Severus noted that his brother didn’t respond to that.

"I’m Sirius Black," the man said, holding out his hand, appearing – very obviously – to be doing his best to control his emotions. Before Silas could accept the handshake, Sirius straightened his posture. "Marauder, prankster and . . ." he faltered . . . "willing adult at your service, anytime you need. Granted, of course, your brother allows that," he said, the last sentence quiet and more to himself than to Silas. Still, some odd feeling stirred in Severus. Something he wasn’t about to look into, for his own sanity’s sake. Still, he subdued his reaction to a mere glare for Silas’ sake.

"Silas Prince," Silas said, putting his own small hand into Sirius’, and they shook, but not without an odd look at Severus at the mention of his name.

"Prince?"

"Our mother’s maiden name," Severus answered harshly, warning him not to comment further. For the first time Severus could ever remember, the taller man heeded his warning.

"So, Silas," Black said, slightly more confident. "I heard you’re in Ravenclaw. Like to read?"

"Yes," Silas answered, his eyes brightening.

"I have some books you might enjoy, then," he answered with a small bow. "Not that I’ve seen them in quite a long time, of course, but I’m sure you’d enjoy them . . . may be a bit advanced for you, though," he teased. "Not sure a Ravenclaw could get their big head around them, all those parchment spells and the like." Silas gave a small giggle at the joke, still obviously nervous.

Obviously forgotten, Dumbledore entered the front room, looking ready to leave.

"Well, I suppose I must be going then, Silas," Sirius said, dutifully ignoring the other two adults in the room. His voice was sad, and Severus could tell the confidence from before was leaving. He made note of the sudden mood changes. "I’d like to talk to you again . . . perhaps write some letters?"

Silas nodded after a glance at his brother.

"Good, good," Dumbledore interrupted. "Well, I must say this has been a good visit," he continued. "But we really must be going. Good bye, Severus, Silas, and have a good visit to Sibiu!"

Another strange look from Sirius, and both guests left, much to Severus’ relief. Silas, more relaxed, looked up at his brother.

"Well, off to bed, then," Severus responded. "Good night."

"‘Night," Silas answered, a smile on his face as he went upstairs.

Chapter End Notes:
Please let me know if you think I wrote Sirius alright . . . I'm trying to make him in-character but still leave room for what I have planned for him later. I've never written Sirius before . . .