Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Previously, in Chapter Twenty:

After a moment of indecision, he lifted the top. His present hovered for a split second, then buzzed overhead, zipping this way and that. He was dripping with childish delight!

“Perfect choice, Poppy. Thank you.”

She waved away the thanks, but puffed up proudly nevertheless.
Chapter Twenty-One

Finally, something had elicited a truly childish reaction in the little one!

He took off, pounding about the ground floor, tripping over everything in sight. I thought his delight would be short-circuited when a stack of plates crashed on the kitchen floor due to his gallivanting about. However, as quick as I happen to be with a wand, he barely had time to sniff before the dishes were back in order. After a zap to the snitch that caused it to hover just out of reach for a few moments, a gesture that said ‘scurry off,’ and a look on my face that absolutely could not have been a smile, Harry was nearly back up to speed.

“I think he likes it,” Poppy whispered conspiratorially, winking.

“Yes. Quite the perfect complement to his new broom.” Pride? Was that this feeling under my breastbone?

“Oh, Severus, you’ve given him his first broom? I only saw the two of you together on what I assumed was yours.”

“I’d already shrunken his. I warded the pitch and we flew a while before – dropping in on you.”

“You always did have a mischievous streak, Severus.” She wagged a half-hearted finger, then almost didn’t say, “You’re doing a marvelous service to Harry. I’m very proud of you, Severus.”

Then she got up, and before I could move she gave me a kiss on the top of the head.

“Harry?” she called in that same moment. “Do you like your new snitch, love?”

I listened to childish banter as I prepared tea.

I caught myself humming.

………………………………………………………………………….

I was able to catch the snitch three times! Three! I was so excited at first, I was running in the house – but I didn’t get into trouble at all. They even looked happy, godfather and Madame Poppy, watching me. I settled myself down quick when the Poppy lady wanted to talk to me, and I talked quietly, like I always should talk – but it was very difficult! I had this exciting feeling like my chest would burst if I didn’t jump or yell or scream, just like when I was flying. Only you can scream when you’re flying ‘cause no one can hear you with the wind rushing by.

There was a knock at the door.

“Gray!” I thumped down the first few steps, and then made myself Slow Down. I peeked into the kitchen; my Snape hadn’t noticed. Whew!

I started for the door, but remembered to ask if I could open it. I felt very shy, suddenly. Just as I turned to ask permission, my Snape came into the room, wiping his hands on a dish rag.

“Would you like to answer the door, Harry?” he asked kindly.

“Y-yes, sir.”

I got The Look.

“I-I mean, godfather! Very much, godfather!”

He nodded his head quickly at me, and I opened the door.

“Hello, Mr. Gray!” That excitedness just wouldn’t go away!

He looked very shy, just like I felt, his hands behind his back. “Hullo there, little ‘un.” He held a football in his hands, next I looked. “Happy berfday, Harry.”

He’d brought me a present, too? I’d popped into his shop unannounced, lied to him, and hadn’t gone to visit him like I’d promised. I didn’t deserve it!

As soon as he was properly in the door, and had quite nicely closed it himself for me, he held the gift out for me to take; well, he put it into my arms, really. I felt my lungs heat up super quick. The football flew out of my hands and back at Gray, hitting him solidly in the chest and nearly knocking him over. He looked from me, to my Snape, and back, with eyes like our old mismatched plates.

Then Godfather was behind me, whispered something that sounded like ‘obviously,’ and Gray shook his head a bit and looked confused.

“Thank you for joining us, Gray. I’ll just take Harry’s gift and set it on the table for now. He can enjoy it after we have our tea and cake.” He turned to me, hand firmly on my shoulder, and said, “Harry, say thank-you for your gift.”

Say something? I could scarce breathe! But I wouldn’t ever, ever disobey!

“Yes, sir,” I had to swallow a few times to get my voice to pop out over a hoarse whisper, “Thank you, Mr. Gray, for my gift, sir!”

He patted me on the head, absentmindedly. “No need to talk so formal there, little ‘un. Happy berfday, then. Did I say that already? Canna seem ta remember. Old age, eh, Mr. Snape?”

My Snape just nodded his head, and turned to the Poppy lady.

“Poppy, would you be so kind as to show Mr. Gray to our sitting room. Harry and I need to wash up. We’ll be back down shortly.”

She agreed, looking like she knew exactly what he meant, just like I did. She cast a concerned look my way.

She knew I was really going to get it now! Even if Mr. Professor Snape had been very nice to me about freaky stuff before, this was in front of the shopkeeper, who wasn’t a wizard and didn’t know any, either. I could tell that because he was so surprised. I could reason it was much, much worse to have an accident in front of Mr. Gray than anybody else I’d met with my Snape. I was suddenly very sad to have to be punished on my birthday - though don’t know what I expected. Birthdays were always, always terrible for me. Stupid to hope this one’d be any different. Probably get all my presents taken away - I should, too! Didn’t deserve them. Didn’t deserve any of this!

We reached the top of our new steps; they had cushiony carpet now and were easier to climb than the old ones. Mr. Professor Snape knelt down in front of me and held my chin in his hand. I so much wanted to shrink back that I did flinch.

“ ’m so, so sorry, sir!” I whispered. I couldn’t say more without crying like a ridiculous snotty baby, so I shut my mouth and told myself to quit feeling.

It worked a little.

………………………………………………………………………….

Harry was clearly terrified. This had been a poor idea after all. I immediately regretted attempting a party. It was a meager excuse for one, at that.

“Harry –”

“Yes, sir,” he answered immediately, desperately.

Where to start?

“Harry, that was accidental magic again. Gray is a muggle, so he didn’t understand what happened. I cast a spell to make him forget what he saw, which is why he became confused. No harm done, child. Understood?” He seemed half-aware of what I was saying, at least.

“Yes, sir!” he said again, in the same tone as last time. A bit infuriating, in truth! Couldn’t he simply listen and comprehend? Patience, Severus!

“Harry, you are not in trouble. Now, tell me what I just said.” There. That had worked nicely before.

“N-not in . . . I’m not in trouble, sir?” he queried quietly.

“That is correct. Now let us –”

Before I could continue, I had my arms full with a very excited little boy.

Once his ‘thank yous’ had quieted, we returned downstairs to a bit of a commotion. Madame Poppy was shouting and sounded very cross.

“Yes, yes, I’ll give him the blasted letter and package. Just go, you dratted bird! Obliviate!”

………………………………………………………………………….

Mr. Gray looked very surprised to see a great tawny owl in our sitting room! He was very confused again for a moment as I looked to godfather for approval to take the package. Turning away from our guests, he waved his wand over it for a moment; Gray still seemed too dazed to notice much of anything. The last wand movement he made caused the package to jump up in size until it was bigger than my new football.

After he handed them over, I opened the letter first.

“Dear Harry,

I hope you are having a very happy birthday today! I shall never forget how happy your mother and father were the day you were born. I first saw you when you were just a babe in their arms, did you know that? Always remember how loved you are.

I want you to know the day I kept you at Hogwarts I told Severus I wanted to apologize to you. He did not let me, and I understand his reasoning. I wanted to explain the situation to you, and to tell you how very sorry I am that I hurt you, Harry.”

The letter went on to tell me about quills, and how she thought it didn’t hurt ‘cause I didn’t make a sound. She ended by apologizing again, and promising she would never, ever strike me or any other child for as long as she lived. I couldn’t believe she’d broken and burnt the cane!

………………………………………………………………………….

“All right there, Harry?” Poppy asked. We were both concerned.

Little one looked up with startled, shining green eyes, and breathed, “She said she was sorry. She didn’t have to do that, but she did. She apologized to me. Why?”

Kneeling before him, I struggled with words.

“Harry, Minerva should be sorry. She treated you horribly, and wrongly accused you to boot.”

He seemed incredulous, chest heaving and voice cracking. “I always get in trouble for things I didn’t do. Nobody’s ever apologized before. I didn’t think adults did that. She didn’t have to. That was very nice of her. May I – May I write her a thank-you, godfather?”

That he was so affected by a simple apology – that knocked the breath from my chest. I was going to have to revisit our incident and give a proper apology as well. Tomorrow.

“If you wish to write to Minerva, you may after our party. For now, would you like to see what is in the package?”

He was delighted with it, but I had to suppress a groan. It was a very lifelike plush lion that I was certain would perform all manner of tricks when activated. I would have to ‘thank’ Minerva myself. Damn tabby!

………………………………………………………………………….

They sang “Happy Birthday” to me! It was the first time anybody had, and I blushed like mad. After our tea and cake, I found out I had even more presents!

“Harry, Severus told me what a good little reader you are. I thought you might add this to your collection.” Madame Poppy held out a book-shaped package.

“Thank you, Madame Poppy!” My Snape didn’t look too pleased. Perhaps he thought boys ought not read the Complete Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales. I knew I’d love it!

I opened the book and started to look at the story titles when I heard my Snape clear his throat.

He held something behind his back. He had a sheepish, half-grin on his face. I set the book down, walked over to him, and he held it out . . .

My stuffed bear!

I think I could get used to being happy!’

The End.
Chapter End Notes:
This is officially the end. I’ve not yet decided whether there will be a sequel or an epilogue. Right now I am leaning toward an epilogue because I want to concentrate on a non-fanfiction novel. I’ve had the idea in my head for 17 years, and I think I finally have the confidence to finish it! Thank you to all of my readers! Your kind reviews have made me believe I could actually be a ‘real’ author, and I’m ready to try. I love you!

Chocolate Frogs!

Lily Elizabeth Snape