Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 19 - Land of the Living

After classes were over and after a wonderful pre-Christmas dinner in the great hall, Harry, Ron and Hermione said goodbye to their classmates wishing them a Merry Christmas.

"You two don't need to stay here you know. Go spend Christmas with your families," Harry insisted.

Ron and Hermione had decided that Harry especially needed them this year after Sirius' death.

"You're family too, Harry and besides my parents are all snowed in, in Finland. Muggles can only rely on planes to get around in the air."

"Mum had wanted you to come to The Burrow, Harry," Ron reminded him.

"I know, but I'm just not in the spirit for Christmas this year not after Sirius' death," His voice grew very quiet near the end.

"Well whatever happens we are here for you and we'll make it fun." Hermione hugged him.

"How's Professor Snape?" Ron asked.

"He's still hovering between life and death," Harry answered. He had been there when Dumbledore administered the potion but it hadn't helped yet.

"Does Draco know?" Hermione asked.

"No, Dumbledore thought until there was a change either way he shouldn't be told. He made himself a lot sicker yesterday," Harry explained.

"Since when did Malfoy become Draco?" Ron asked raising an eyebrow.

Hermione grinned. "He actually called me Hermione this morning. I don't think he meant too judging by the shocked look on his face but it slipped out. I don't know Ron, I just started calling him Draco when we found him almost dead. He seems to need someone, even though he's trying his best to push everyone away. He's like Harry sometimes."

Harry snorted. "Don't compare me to Malfoy, we have nothing in common."

"Well you both care what happens to Professor Snape," Hermione slipped in with a grin.

***************************************************************

Much later that night Harry sat by Professor Snape's bedside while Dumbledore went to his rooms for awhile.

Snape looked as pale as ever, his dark hair framing his face.

Harry curled up in the chair, eventually falling asleep.

Everything was so quiet, a single candle burned on the nightstand. Much to his surprise he realized Potter was asleep in the chair beside him. His dark hair lay mussed over his arm.

Everything seemed a little fuzzy. He realized then that he was in the hospital wing. He couldn't remember how he had gotten there.

He stretched; he seemed to be ok. He sat up slowly and with shock looked down at his chest. A burn mark was in the vicinity of his heart.

He cleared his dry throat and reached over to the nightstand to the glass of water that was there. He took a few long swallows, then put down the glass again. With one hand he reached out and stroked the hair on Potter's head.

Potter woke slowly and looked at him with bleary green eyes. The eyes suddenly opened wide as he bolted up.

"Professor Snape, you're alive?" He jumped to his feet and threw his arms around Snape.

Snape looked bemused as he patted Harry's back. "Apparently so."

Embarrassed by his spontaneity Harry pulled back and sat back down. He couldn't keep the happiness out of his voice. "How are feeling? You didn't have a pulse when I found you."

Snape was astounded by Harry's behavior and pleased that he had actually cared for his welfare. "I'm feeling fine. Where did you find me?"

"In your office, you were lying on the floor in front of your desk. Dumbledore said you had been hit with a Lightnarius spell and then someone gave you the stopper in death potion."

"It must have been Lucius," Snape responded thoughtfully.

"Draco thinks Lucius was the one that almost killed you."

Snape's thoughts cleared at the mention of Draco. "How's Draco?"

"He's still recovering."

Snape nodded, relieved that the young Slytherin was at least alive. "It wasn't Lucius."

"It was Bellatrix wasn't it?"

Snape's eyes narrowed. "How do you know that?"

"I had a dream that she was standing behind you and fired the Lightnarius spell at you."

Snape nodded. "Just before I blacked out I saw her reflection in a mirror but it happened so fast I didn't have time to react. I don't know how you could have known that."

"Something to do with Legilimens maybe?"

"I don't know. Perhaps our thoughts connected in the last lesson. How are you feeling? We need to continue with Occlumency as soon as possible. Have you been practicing?

Harry looked away, realizing that he hadn't done anything since before the Hogsmeade trip.

"Promise me tonight you'll clear your thoughts before going to sleep?"

He nodded.

"What day is this?"

"Tomorrow is Christmas Eve day."

Snape sighed.

"Err, Professor Snape. You should know that the letter you wrote to me, well, I mean I opened it and read it," Harry said quietly wondering if Snape would explode.

"You did what! It wasn't supposed to be read unless I was dead." Snape's eyes looked dark and angry.

"I'm sorry but because of the Lightnarius spell, the spell you put on the letters disappeared so they could be opened," Harry explained in an apologetic tone. "You said some really nice things. Thanks for letting me read the letter my mother wrote to you and for letting me see her star." He got up and took Lily's letter and star out of his pocket and put it on the nightstand beside Snape.

The anger left Snape's eyes. "You're welcome." He looked at Harry intently with his dark gaze. "I meant what I said."

Harry smiled softly. "I'm glad you're all right."

Snape realized at that moment how much of a shock it must have been for Potter to see him lying dead. It must have stirred all those bad memories of Black's death. "I'm sorry, Harry," he said quietly.

Harry didn't respond, he was a bit rattled that Snape had guessed how awful he had felt when he thought he was dead or would die.

"Draco read the letter also. He didn't know about the Lightnarius spell so when he came across it and was able to open it he thought you had died. He went outside last night in the pouring rain and made himself a bit sicker than he was before. But Professor McGonagall took care of him and he seemed to be doing pretty well this morning."

Snape had turned very pale upon learning that Draco had thought he was dead. He needed to see him and reassure him. Knowing Draco he wouldn't have confided in anyone on how he really felt. He started to get up but Potter stopped him.

"No, I have to get Professor Dumbledore, you can't get up yet."

Snape lay back again. "Very well Potter."

Harry ran and got Dumbledore. The headmaster’s eyes lit up and twinkled at the news that Professor Snape was awake and feeling well.

"Harry, I would like you to go to bed now and get some rest. I will take care of things from here." He patted his shoulder. "Thank you for making that potion it obviously helped."

Harry nodded, he was so relieved that Snape was ok, he went to the Gryffindor tower without protest. He debated stopping off and letting Draco know but decided that Snape would want to do that in person. Feeling a little more peaceful than he had in awhile he climbed into bed after updating Ron and Hermione on Snape's condition.

Dumbledore walked into the hospital wing with a warm smile on his face. "Severus, good to have you back in the land of the living. You gave us quite a scare."

Snape managed a small smile. "It's good to be back. Thank you for taking care of me."

"We all did that but this morning Hermione, Harry and Draco brewed the strengthening and potion. They used a drop of blood from Harry and Draco and myself. They concluded that perhaps since you had written us letters we were the ones you most cared about?"

Snape looked displeased. "You read my letter too?"

"Now now Severus, don't get all in a foul mood over this. I care about you very much you know and it was refreshing reading that you have learned to care deeply for others even though you still have some trouble expressing it in person." He patted Snape's arm and squeezed it warmly.

"How's Draco?"

"He had quite the shock last night. We didn't tell him about what had happened to you but when Remus went to get a potion, he snuck out and came here and found you. I don't know how he found the strength to do it in his weakened condition but he obviously had the will to do so. He was very upset, I got him to lie down in the bed across from you but he took off from there when I went to get him a potion. Hermione found him outside down by the lake. Hagrid carried him in and Minerva took care of him. He was completely exhausted. He's been confined to bed today and he's been giving Remus a hard time. As we suspected, the damage to his lung will take awhile to heal properly, I think the shock of what Lucius did will take some time to wear off also, he has a hard time keeping food down, the only way he can right now is with a potion."

"Can I see him?"

Dumbledore smiled. "Yes I think that would be beneficial to you both but Remus gave Draco a heavy dose of dreamless sleep potion to ensure he stay in place for the night, Loki is curled around him and quite honestly Severus, I insist you stay in bed for tonight also."

Snape glared. "I'm fine!"

Dumbledore's eyes twinkled. "No wonder you and Draco get along so well, you are both so difficult. Now get the idea out of your head for tonight, you'll see him tomorrow I promise. Was it Lucius who did this to you?"

Snape still looked angry but he answered the question. "No, we got into a bit of battle but it was Bellatrix Lestrange, she hit me from the back, I just caught a glimpse of her in a mirror. I assume Lucius gave me the stopper in death potion, so I would take care of his heir and not let him die."

"I promise you Severus, we will take care of Draco together and ensure he stays out of harm from Lucius. Now lie down and get some sleep or I'll cast a binding spell on you."

Snape looked into Dumbledore's blue eyed gaze and realized he was serious. With a disgruntled groan he lay down on the pillows as Dumbledore tucked the thick comforter around him. "I'm very happy to have you back."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry stretched; he had just had one of the best sleeps in a long time. He opened his eyes and sat up quickly. He wasn't at Hogwarts, he was in a beautiful room, the walls made of logs and a rustic stone fireplace was emitting warmth from the corner. A floor to ceiling window was to his right.

He got up and went over to it. The house was high on a snowy hill with forests around and a small village below. Puzzled he glanced down realizing he was wearing the same pj's that he had gone to bed in. His robe was lying on a chair beside the bed. He put it on and ventured cautiously out the door.

"Harry!" Hermione stood there beaming. "Isn't this wonderful!"

"Yah but where are we and how did we get here?"

"Professor Dumbledore decided we all needed to get out of Hogwarts so as a Christmas present, he brought us here. While we were sleeping he cast a spell over us and then via a special port key brought us out here. We are just outside of the village of Yuletown at the far end of the forbidden forest deep in the mountains."

"Harry, Hermione?" came Ron's voice as he came out of a room next to Harry's. Hermione once again explained what had happened.

***************************************************************

Snape bolted up once he opened his eyes and found himself in semi familiar surroundings. Dumbledore sat by the window.

"Severus, relax. This is my doing. Minerva, Remus, Hagrid and I decided to surprise you all so we whisked you here last night for two days of relaxation. I thought Harry and you and Draco especially could use it after what you've been through. Plus it gives Minerva, Remus and I a chance to relax after some very tense times.

"I appreciate it. Where's Draco?"

"Still asleep in the room next to you. If you are feeling well enough you can go over to him."

Severus got up putting on a robe. He looked out of the window. "This is where you brought me all those years ago?" He stated in wonder.

"Yes Severus, this is where you recovered from that terrible night and where we discussed how you could best serve the light."

Snape nodded in amazement. "I loved it here."

Dumbledore smiled. "Good we'll all be spending Christmas here."

"I'm going to see Draco," Snape stated.

"Yes, I'm sure seeing you will be the best Christmas present for him. Perhaps we should tie a big red bow around you?" Dumbledore teased. Snape's look was not amused.

"Just remember Severus, it will be a bit of shock for him albeit a happy one."

Snape nodded as he entered the room next door. Remus got up smiling at him. "Good to see you on your feet," he whispered.

Snape nodded. "Thank you. Thank you also for taking care of Draco."

Lupin grinned wryly. "He reminds me a lot of you."

Snape sat beside the sleeping teen. He noted that the terrible bruises on his jaw were fading. He still looked very pale and his breathing still didn't sound quite right but overall he looked a lot better without the fever flush from the last time he saw him.

Draco moaned contentedly as he stretched on the warm flannel sheets. His eyes slowly opened. The breath caught in his throat as he looked up through sleepy eyes. He blinked clearing the fog. Professor Snape sat on the bed in front of him.

"How are you feeling?" came Snape's low voice.

Draco sat up staring at Snape wideyed, doubting that this was real.

In a halting voice he quietly said, "I'm sorry."

Snape frowned. Draco wasn't reacting at all as he expected him to. "What are you sorry about?"

"I almost got you killed," he said hoarsely.

Snape could see the burden of guilt Draco was shouldered with.

"First of all I'm fine, secondly this was my decision not yours," Snape responded impatiently. He regarded Draco, there was pain in the gray eyes and he looked down at the sheets.

"It was my father wasn't it."

"No it was Bellatrix Black. Lucius likely saved my life by giving me the stopper in death potion and sending me back here."

Draco looked up startled.

"Will you stop being an idiot and blaming yourself for my actions. I'm fine and we'll make sure that you are also," he said softly.

A small smile formed on Draco's face. "Are you really ok?"

Snape nodded.

An incredible relief washed over Draco along with a surge of unequaled happiness. He threw his arms around Snape who hugged him tightly.

***************************************************************

Christmas carols played loudly in the background as Hagrid brought in a huge fir tree and plunked it down in the living room with its soaring ceilings. He placed it near the windows.

Harry stood by the window, despite the beautiful surroundings and all the festiveness, he felt so detached. Memories of the best Christmas he had ever had came flooding back to him. Sirius singing and acting like a little excited kid. He was lost in his thoughts when Hermione came up beside him and nudged his elbow.

"Hagrid wants us to go outside and help him build a big snowman."

Harry didn't respond at first.

"Sirius would want you to build a snowman."

Harry snorted then softly grinned at Hermione. "You just don't give up do you."

She grinned back mischievously. "No, never."

They went outside, as soon as they got near to Hagrid he started hitting them with a barrage of snowballs. They fought back. Laughing and falling into the soft sticky snow.

****************************************************************

Professor Snape got dressed and walked into the living room.

"How's Draco?" Dumbledore asked.

"Sleeping again, I think the last few days took a lot out of him."

"That's to be expected. Put on your cloak Severus, I need you to bring this carrot out to our snowman builders."

Snape's eyes narrowed. "They can get it themselves."

"A little fresh air will do you good," Dumbledore insisted.

"Fine." Snape put on his cloak and boots and snatched the carrot out of Dumbledore's hand.

As he walked towards the sounds of laughter he suddenly got a snowball in the face. He froze glaring in the direction of where it had come from.

"Potter! What do you think you are doing!!!"

Hagrid burst out in a boisterous laugh. "Professor Snape it looks good on you, a dash of white with all that black you wear."

Snape threw Hagrid a disgruntled look but when looking at Hagrid's glowing smile, he felt his mood lighten a bit.

He looked back at Potter who had frozen but had a small twinkle in his green eyes.

"All right Potter, have it your way." With a menacing grin Snape waved his wand causing a stream of snow to hit Harry right in the nose.

He fell into the snow and came up gasping. "No fair, no wands!" As he grabbed another handful of snow and hurled it at Snape this time hitting his shoulder.

The snowball fight between all of them continued for awhile, then they got busy building the snowman. Once the head was on Snape inserted the carrot.

As Snape went back inside, he realized he had had fun. Dumbledore waited for him at the door and handed him a large fluffy towel. His light blue eyes were twinkling with mirth.

"Not a word!" Snape snapped at him.

When he finished drying off he entered the living room to find Draco sitting on the sofa with a sullen look on his face. Minerva and Remus were there also.

"Well you certainly give as good as you get." Minerva laughed. "We watched all the fun from here."

Draco looked up at him resentment burning in his eyes.

"Yes well I was forced into it," Snape replied grumpily.

The others came in later, laughing and flushed from the cold.

They went to warm themselves by the fireplace. Hermione got up and started hanging ornaments on the tree. "Draco, do you feel well enough to help me."

He didn't answer, just shook his head.

Ron had set up a chess set. "Do you want to see if you can beat me at chess?"

"No!" He stood up angrily, the classic Malfoy sneer in place. "I don't want to be here with Potty, Weasel and the Mudblood!" His temper exploded. Then realizing what he had just said in front of all the professors, he paled and wavered on his feet.

Dumbledore walked over to him after lifting a restraining hand against Snape. Without a word he took Draco's arm and led him out of the room.

"Oh dear." Minerva sighed. "Children you have to realize he's been through a lot and I think that was just some pent up feelings that exploded. I really don't think he meant it."

"Sounded like he meant it to me," Ron growled.

****************************************************************

Draco's anger wasn't quite done when Dumbledore led him into the room. He took his wand of the nightstand and with it sliced a hole into one of the logs in the wall.

Before he could do it again, Dumbledore had snatched it out of his hand and steered him over to the bed.

"Sit down!"

He sat and looked up at Dumbledore. He had never seen the headmaster look so stern and so angry.

He closed his eyes and meekly said, "I'm sorry."

"I should hope so. Your little temper tantrum is inexcusable. Every single person here has worked tirelessly to save your life and to ensure that you are taken care off. I had hoped you had learned a little something in the last while. You have dissapointed me greatly! Stay in this room until you have a change of attitude." Dumbledore headed for the door. "I expect you to apologize to everyone when you come back out."

Draco lay back on his pillows in misery. Tears welled up in his eyes. Why did he always ruin everything? Stupid golden trio made him do it, he was overwhelmed with jealousy because they had seemed so happy and then when Snape joined them an uncontrollable anger welled up in him. The little voice of reason in the back of his head reminded him how they had helped him and how Potter and Granger had let him help with the potion. He sat with his hands over his face for a long time.

The mood in the living room had lightened again when Dumbledore entered. Everyone was busy drinking butterbeers, munching on snacks and decorating the tree.

Hagrid noisily and not with the best voice started loudly singing 'God rest ye merry hippogriffs' and everyone else joined in.

Half an hour later as darkness descended and a soft snow started to fall, Draco came into the living room. Hagrid stopped singing. Dumbledore looked at him and softly said, "Draco?"

He cleared his throat, he felt dizzy and his stomach churned. Then he quietly said, "I'm sorry." He looked at everyone.

Dumbledore gave him a quick warm smile. "You are forgiven, come and have a bowl of oatmeal, I heated some up for you with a bit of cinnamon and cream." He also handed him a vial of the anti nausea potion.

Draco went and sat beside him, feeling very awkward and embarrassed.

Hermione went over to him and handed him an ornament. "Maybe when you finish eating you could hang this, you're taller than me and I can't quite reach that branch." He nodded and smiled at her gratefully. Then in a whisper only she could hear, "Sorry."

She smiled back at him.

Hagrid resumed singing as the fire crackled and a warmth descended on the room and its occupants.