Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 23-Hugs All Around

They met over dinner where Ron promptly revealed what had happened in the hallway with Malfoy. "Harry, what in the world happened in Occlumency? He was so upset, I actually felt sorry for him. Me feeling sorry for Malfoy!" Ron said, shaking his head in disbelief.

Hermione noticed the haunted look in Harry's eyes. "Harry, what happened?"

Harry put down his fork. "It was awful." He hesitated, trying to find the right words. "Malfoy's mum never wanted children; she doesn't care for him at all. Lucius has beaten Draco since he was little; his methods just got worse over the years. Hermione, he got beaten because I got away from Voldemort in our 4th year and because you got better marks. Lucius used a whip on him. Draco told him he didn't want to be a Death Eater - that's why Lucius beat him with that snake staff in Hogsmeade."

"Malfoy doesn't want to be a Death Eater? You saw all that?" Ron asked in shock.

Harry nodded, still feeling sick from seeing Draco's life and his reaction afterwards. "He's destroyed; I think we need to try and help him The only person he has is Professor Snape and he's angry at him right now. He must feel very alone."

"When I found him I insisted he needed someone; I offered to get Snape and he definitely didn't want him. He asked for Dumbledore or McGonagall. Dumbledore looked really worried so I think he helped him,” Ron explained.

Hermione hadn't said a word after Harry's description of the lesson. Tears welled up in her eyes. "You were right all along, Harry; something was very wrong. He's so badly hurt."

"His wounds are almost healed,” Ron said quietly.

"I don't mean physically, I mean inside, Ron."

Ron nodded. "I guess you're right; he was crying in the hallway. I never thought I'd see Malfoy cry and actually feel bad about it."

Hermione got up and went over to the professors’ table. "Professor Dumbledore, I just wanted to know if Draco is ok? Harry and Ron were telling me what happened today."

Dumbledore smiled at her softly. "As you can imagine Draco is rather upset. Maybe you, Harry and Ron could make an effort to be especially nice and patient with him over the next while. He needs friends and people to care about him. He's feeling very lost and isolated right now."

She nodded. "Where is he?"

"Asleep in my office."

Hermione looked over at Snape. "Could I go into your rooms for a moment and get something that I had given Draco?"

Snape nodded, looking puzzled.

She looked back at Dumbledore. "Could I bring it to him? I promise I won't wake him. I'll just leave it for him; it might make him feel a little better when he wakes up."

Dumbledore smiled at her. "Of course; my password is pumpkin toffee.”

*****************************************************************

"Don't blame yourself, Severus; none of us knew the extent of Lucius' cruelty. What we need to focus on now is Draco's recovery mentally, emotionally and physically. He's had a severe blow. The worst case scenario is that he will either retreat and become unresponsive or he will lash out at everyone. He needs us desperately,” Dumbledore stated as he put his arm around him and patted his shoulder.

Snape nodded. "I will reach out to him tomorrow and explain why I didn't end the spell earlier. He needs to know he's not alone, that I was in a similar situation once.”

"I think it would also benefit Harry to understand a bit more of your past. It will help him to understand you better."

Snape looked uncomfortable at the prospect but nodded reluctantly.

*****************************************************************

Hermione found and retrieved the stuffed dragon and quickly went into Dumbledore's office. Draco lay on his side, asleep on a bed near the desk. Fawkes cooed softly. She quietly waked to the side of the bed. She closed her eyes for a moment remembering when they had found him behind the Shrieking Shack and how much pain he was in afterwards.. He looked just as pale now. She carefully lifted the blanket and placed the dragon near him.

She felt so bad for him. She hoped the dragon would remind him that he could conquer anything and also that she cared.

As Hermione left, she passed Professor McGonagall in the hall.

"How was Hogsmeade?"

"It was fine; I was able to get the things we needed. How's Mr. Malfoy? I just spoke to the headmaster and Professor Snape."

"He's asleep."

"Good, the poor boy needs some rest after all that."

"What's going to happen to him? I mean, he can’t be sent back to his home after all this?" Hermione asked with worry.

"No, he will stay with Professor Snape, don't worry." She smiled softly. "We've taken care of things."

Hermione smiled back, relieved. "I'm glad. Goodnight."

Minerva and Remus had been filled in on all the details during dinner. They were horrified to learn the extent of abuse Draco had suffered. Minerva's heart went out to the poor boy. She insisted on sitting with him for a while. She remembered back to his stay in the hospital ward when he had had the nightmare. He had been so upset; she realized now what it likely was about.

She sat beside him; he was sleeping peacefully now. She was so glad to see that. She had angrily objected to Albus and Severus over leaving him alone. She worried after today's events -  he could have a nightmare and wake up alone. If he was to be on the side of the light, he needed as much love and support as he could get.

She thought back to the small eleven-year-old he had been. Such an angelic face yet a devilish personality. She smiled, remembering how he had gleefully turned in Mr. Potter and his friends for being outside after hours and the hurt look when she had given him detention along with the rest of them. Now in front of her was a taller, slim, pale teenager. The little-boy cuteness was gone, replaced by harder angles and sharper features. In some ways he was becoming the spitting image of his father, yet hopefully on the inside he was becoming someone his father could never be.

Draco made a sound much like a soft whimper. She reached over to stroke his hair,  soothing him. His tired eyes suddenly opened wide and looked at her with surprise. Then he apparently remembered where he was and what had happened. He looked away, visibly tensing.

"It's ok, Mr. Malfoy - think of Hogwarts as a sanctuary and Professors Dumbledore, Snape, Lupin and myself as your guardians - we're here to help you. " She paused, looking at his pale thin face and added, "You are still the same person; you are strong, stubborn, willful. Once the shock of what happened today wears off you will be even stronger for it." His eyes lifted to hers again. She softly added, "I have no doubt."

He looked away again. "You know?"

She softly replied, "Yes." Seeing how uncomfortable he was she changed the topic.

"Since Professors Snape and Dumbledore tell me you didn't keep your lunch down and had no dinner, I've brought you a cup of broth. How they can think you will recover without food is beyond me!” McGonagall complained with a huff.

An amused smile formed on Draco's face as he envisioned McGonagall chastising Snape and Dumbledore. He slowly sat up.

When McGonagall handed him the cup, he looked at her, concerned. "I can't without the potion."

"I have a vial with me just in case but you need to start eating without having to rely on it."

He took the cup hesitantly and slowly drank it down.

"Good, now just stay calm; think of happy things like being out on the Quidditch field on your new Firebolt."

He smirked. "And I'll finally beat Potter."

McGonagall gave him a disapproving look but inside she was glad - for a moment at least, he had lost that broken, hopeless look.

"Draco, if you ever want to talk or if you're feeling bad, I want you to know you can come to me."

He stared at the bed covers for a moment as she took the cup out of his hand. "I wish today had never happened,” he said in a whisper.

She reached over to him and after hesitating for a moment his arm wrapped around her neck. "When you hug me like this it makes me wonder if that's how it would have felt if my mother had ever cared."

"How exactly does it make you feel?" McGonagall inquired.

Draco pulled back, flushing slightly. "I don't know … warm, safe, like someone actually cares."

McGonagall smiled. "Well, someone does care. What happened is now in the past, and although you'll never forget it you have a new future to look forward to."

There was still a lot of fear and uncertainty in his eyes. She realized it would take time for him to come to terms with his past. She hugged him close to her again. "Don't be scared of the future, Draco."

"I'm not,” came his muffled, rather unconvincing reply.

Later as she coaxed him to lie down again, he discovered his dragon. "Did you bring this up here?" he asked, wondering how it got to be in the bed.

"No; it was likely Miss Granger - she was here just before me while you were asleep."

He wrapped his arms around it under the covers. He fell asleep with the thought in his mind, 'dragons survive just about anything.'

****************************************************************

The man came running out of the bedroom … as a loud bang disturbed him. Someone shouted “Avada Kedavra”and he fell to the floor, lifeless. Soon a woman followed, carrying a small child. She screamed, a green flash hit her, and she and the child fell to the ground. Another child, perhaps five, wandered out of another room, woken by the noise. She looked up wide eyed at the man in front of her.

"She's yours, Lucius,” came the cracking voice of the figure with red eyes.

Lucius smiled. Thank you, my Lord,” as he pointed his wand and snarled the Killing Curse. The little body crumpled to the ground amidst cheers from the gang of Death Eaters.

"No, no!" Harry cried out with his hand tightly gripping his searing scar.

"Harry! Harry wake up, you're having a dream!

Ron shook him as Harry sat up, dazed. His scar was on fire. His breathing was laboured and as he scrambled to his feet, his stomach rebelled and he doubled over, retching.

"I'll get McGonagall." Ron jumped up and ran out of the room. Harry dragged himself out of the door and made it as far as the staircase before collapsing on it.

Hermione heard a commotion and ran into the hallway; Harry was sitting on the stairs with his head in his hands. "Harry, what happened?"

He didn't respond. She put her arm around him, putting her head down on his. A minute later Snape and Ron showed up. "Professor McGonagall wasn't in her room so I got Professor Snape."

"I’d like the two of you to return to your beds; I'll take care of Harry."

They both hesitated.

Snape glared at them.  "NOW!" he said in a low, dangerous tone.

They both left, casting worried glances at Harry.

"Potter, what happened?"

Without looking up Harry recounted the entire dream to him. He didn't see Snape grow increasingly pale.

He realized the Dark Lord and his Death Eaters were amusing themselves by killing Muggle families again. He knew how awful it had been for him to wtness it all those years ago. He could see Harry was visibly shaken. He still hadn't looked up and he was trembling badly.

"Harry, look at me!"

Harry took a deep breath and looked up. His green eyes were moist.

"I think you realize that you need to learn Occlumency as quickly as possible. We'll have a lesson tomorrow on the last day of the year. It's obvious that the Dark Lord’s thoughts and actions are getting into your head again. We need to block them out."

Harry nodded; his heart was still racing because the images of the dead family were still fresh in his mind.

Snape's hand came out to stroke his hair.

"Are you ok?"

Harry closed his eyes tightly and shook his head.

Snape moved closer, putting an arm around his shoulder.

"Lucius was the one who killed the small child."

Snape sighed. "It doesn't surprise me."

Harry, still trembling, leaned closer into Snape's hug.

"Don't take it so much to heart. There is nothing we can do now to help any of them. All we can do is get you as strong and skilled as possible so you can eventually defeat the Dark Lord."

"I haven't been able to save anyone yet. Cedric and Sirius died right in front of me."

"A New Year is upon us Potter. The headmaster, Professor Lupin and I had a discussion over dinner tonight. We are going to be stepping up training in the New Year and teach all of you who are interested more advanced skills such as how to Apparate, more advanced potions, and Occlumency. I want you to learn Occlumency quickly so you can assist me in training the others."

"What about Draco?"

"I'm not sure if he'll want to continue yet; he may need some time. Perhaps after he's seen your memories, he'll feel less humiliated."

Harry smiled wryly.

"Look to the New Year with hope, Harry."

Harry's despair-filled green eyes looked up into Snape's dark ones.

"Remember, we are all here for you,” said Snape, squeezing Harry's shoulder.

When Draco opened his eyes the following morning, Professor Snape was sitting beside him. He immediately grew tense and his stomach clenched.

"How are you feeling this morning?"

He sat up. "Fine." He looked everywhere but at Snape.

"The next Occlumency lesson is in an hour in my office if you'd like to join us."

Draco's eyes flashed icily at Snape. "I don't ever want to do Occlumency again!"

Snape took a breath, ensuring he stayed calm and patient. "You wouldn’t; it would be Harry's turn today." He got up. "If you change your mind you are welcome to come." He realized Draco's defenses were up and at the moment nothing he could do or say would break the barrier. He obviously needed some more time to come to terms. He looked back at him again but Draco was staring at his bed covers. "We will need to talk about this at some point, Draco. You can't avoid it forever." He then left the room.

Draco's heart raced uncomfortably; even the word Occlumency had caused an icy chill to settle over him. He wanted to talk to Snape, he wanted to tell him he was sorry for saying he hated him but he didn't know how. He was afraid that Snape say that he didn't care anymore and didn't love him.

Dumbledore came down. He had heard the minimal exchange between Severus and Draco, two people who were not very good at communicating their feelings. "Good morning Draco; come and join me for a bowl of oatmeal."

He was grateful that the headmaster made the offer even though he was feeling queasy, but he knew the professors wouldn't rest until he ate a bit.

He got up and Dumbledore let him bathe in his bathroom. He put on the change of clothes that someone had left for him. He put on the sweater McGonagall had given him.

They walked into the Great Hall together. Draco's breathing grew a little more laboured as apprehension claimed him. Dumbledore's hand reassuringly patted the back of his neck. He relaxed a little.

Hermione, Potter and Weasley were at a table and it looked as if Weasley was telling an amusing story. Hermione looked up, noticed him and smiled warmly. He smiled back hesitantly. He sat down beside Professor McGonagall, who welcomed him, as did Professor Lupin. Professor Snape wasn't there. He picked at his bowl of oatmeal, managing to eat at least half with the professors’ encouragement. He also drank a glass of orange juice.

When Professor McGonagall left, saying she needed to work on classes for next term, Hermione came over and sat beside him. "Why don't you come and sit with us for a bit?"

He narrowed his eyes. "As if Potter and Weasley would welcome my company."

"Maybe they could surprise you?" she challenged.

He responded icily, "I don't want pity from anyone!"

She snorted. "I never thought you'd be such a coward, hiding away in a room all the time. I hope you'll at least go to the Occlumency lesson today. It might help you get over yourself a bit."

With that she got up and went back to her table, leaving Draco seething and Dumbledore trying to suppress the smile that threatened to burst out. Lupin discreetly took a drink from his pumpkin juice but his eyes sparkled at Dumbledore.

As the golden trio cleared out, Remus asked Albus for some help with a Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson. Dumbledore patted Draco on the shoulder again and followed Remus back to his office.

He hated that the golden trio probably thought him to be a coward. He wasn’t a coward. He had survived more things than the three of them combined. As anger temporarily closed off the embarrassment and humiliation, he got up and hurried to Snape's office. He knew he was late. The closer he got, the more shaky his legs became, the quicker his heart raced and his oatmeal and orange juice rumbled uncomfortably. He broke out in a cold sweat, remembering yesterday's events.

***************************************************************

"He's not going to come,  is he?" Harry said, sitting on Snape's sofa.

"I don't know. The shock hasn't worn off yet, his life has changed completely, and he's very humiliated."

"Maybe I should have talked to him but he looked rather resentful this morning. I thought it might be too soon,” Harry stated.

"He wouldn't have responded favourably. You were right not to approach him yet. Let him come to you,” Snape reassured.

Suddenly the door opened and Draco stood there. He was slightly flushed and he was breathing hard.

Harry was the first to speak. "Are you ok?"

Draco ignored him, staring at Snape. "Can we get on with this?'

Snape frowned, thoroughly displeased with Draco's attitude. "Harry, it's up to you.”

Draco shot Snape a scathing look.

Harry took a deep breath then nodded at Snape.

"Draco, come over here and put your hand on the wand with me. Harry, breathe deeply; I really appreciate you doing this."

Draco narrowed his eyes at Harry as Snape said, "Legilimens."

The first memory they saw was a woman yelling at Harry. "You are a freak, just like your parents were!"

Then, "Knocking the stuffing out of me won't make Aunt Marge forget what I could tell her," Harry said to a big, fat, beefy man standing in front of him with his fist raised. Then an extremely fat ugly woman yelled at Harry. "They should have put you in an orphange; you are a sneaky little liar, insolent, ungrateful…"

Then they heard voices, a woman screaming. "No, not Harry, not my son, kill me instead!" while a horrible cold clammy feeling washed over them. They experienced a horrible drop as Harry felt himself falling through an icy mist.

In the next image they saw Cedric Diggory lying dead on the ground with his eyes wide open, then felt a horrible pain as Harry clutched his scar, then a short man sliced open Harry's arm, then the Cruciatus Curse as the Dark Lord  with gleaming red eyes pointed his wand at a bound up Harry.

Then Mad-Eye Moody transforming into Barty Crouch.

Then Delores Umbridge forcing Harry to write with the black quill that etched into his skin like a scalpel.

Then they saw and felt the incredible fear, despair and hatred well up in Harry as Lupin held him after Sirius Black fell through the veil. Then an eerie voice spoke saying that Harry was the chosen one, the only one who could defeat the Dark Lord that he would have to kill or be killed because only one of them would survive.

Then the images of a Muggle family being killed by a group of Death Eaters a small child falling to the floor after Lucius Malfoy uttered the Killing Curse.

Snape lifted the spell, knowing Harry had had more than enough. Harry fell to the floor, trembling violently. Before going to Harry he glanced at Draco, who was chalk white, his eyes wide and full of tears. Snape grabbed his arm but Draco staggered backwards, breathing erratically.

Snape sank down on the floor with Harry. Draco had backed right up agaisnt the door. He stood there trembling uncontrollably, never taking his eyes off Potter. Potter's hand had come up over his face. Draco winced, stunned by what he had seen and felt. He gasped for air; he knew he should go over to Harry but he felt frozen, he just couldn't. His stomach rolled and he knew he was going to be sick. He opened the door and went outside, putting his head against the cool stones of the hallway. He tried to calm his breathing and clear his mind of the horrible things he had just seen.

He wanted to lie down; he slowly made his way down the hallway, hoping that Dumbledore hadn't returned to his office and that the bed was still there.

"Draco?" He stopped, recognizing the voice. She was one of the last people he wanted to have seeing him like this again. He closed his eyes tightly.

"You went to the Occlumency lesson, didn't you?" Hermione asked, coming up beside him. He looked as if he was about to be sick, she realized with alarm.

She grabbed his hand and pulled him down the hallway to Professor Snape's living quarters. She got him to sit on the sofa and threw a blanket around his shoulders while she scoured the room trying to find a stomach vial. She finally found one and brought it over to him. His head had fallen to his knees, his hands over his face. She gently pried one hand away. "Here, take this."

He took the vial and quickly downed the contents.

She sat down beside him. "Why aren't you talking to Harry?"

He threw her an icy glare. "Why do you think?!  What am I supposed to say – ‘sorry for your rotten life’?”

"Yes, and perhaps apologize for all the things you did to make it worse."

His eyes narrowed and she realized there were tears in them as he turned away.

“Draco,” she said softly. "Please, we are all fighting for our lives because of Voldemort's return; don't let all the hate you felt in the past win. You must realize now that Harry's life isn't as wonderful as you thought it was, the same way we realize yours wasn't either. Can't you reach out to him at least a little?"

Draco shook uncontrollably and took a few shaky calming breaths. In a heavy voice he asked, "how?"

Hermione thought for a moment. "Well, when he's upset he usually goes down to the lake. It's gotten warmer outside - maybe if you put some warm clothes on you could go down and talk to him. Maybe start out thanking him for letting you see his memories; you know it wasn't easy for him to let you do that. It took years before he ever opened up to Ron and me."

"What was that image about the Dark Lord and that eerie voice saying he would have to kill or be killed?" Draco asked quietly.

Hermione frowned. "What are you talking about?"

Draco looked puzzled then turned away. "I don't know; never mind."

He took another shaky breath.

"Do you feel a little better?”

He nodded, still trying to slow down his breathing. She put her hand on his back, lightly rubbing. "Take some really deep breaths and release them slowly."

He did. Then turned to look at her. Her heart ached when she saw how empty and bleak his eyes were.

"Thanks again." He attempted a weak smile.

"You’re welcome. Do you think next time when Ron and Harry and I are eating you could join us?”

He looked uncomfortable at the thought. "Maybe, but if I don't it's not because I'm a coward." His icy eyes flashed with a bit of anger.

She couldn't suppress the grin that formed on her face. "If you say so."

He smirked softly.

****************************************************************

Snape trembled as he tried to console Harry. The intensity of the images and the sound of Lily begging tore at his heart. He could only imagine how Harry was feeling at the moment.

He lifted him to his feet and brought him over to the sofa, wrapping a comforter around him. Harry kept his hands up to his face, trembling.

"I can't believe I let Malfoy see all of that,” he whispered. "He'll have a field day with it."

"No he won't. Trust me on this. He's very shaken and hopefully humbled."

Harry snorted in a choked voice. "Malfoy humbled?"

"After what you saw yesterday do you really have to question that?"

"It's not the same. Malfoy's parents didn't die because of him; he didn't watch his godfather fall through the veil because he messed up. He doesn't have to become a murderer in order to live."

Snape sighed and put his arms around Harry, pulling him and the thick comforter close.

"Your mother would hate you thinking that way. She'd tell you that she died so you could live, not spend your days moping because of how she and your father died. And Black, he'd have a fit if he saw how his death weighs on your heart and keeps you from living. You know that, Harry."

"I miss him so much,” Harry said as he finally sat up and dropped his hands from his face. His green eyes were so full of pain and misery.

"I can't replace him but I'll help you as much as I can,” Snape stated. His dark eyes were serious.

Harry looked at him and swallowed. "When you almost died, I realized that somehow you helped fill the hole a bit that Sirius left when he went through the veil. I'm glad you're alive."

The simple, honest words touched Snape's heart as much as when Harry hesitantly wrapped his arms around his neck. He stroked the black hair and patted his back. He knew that somewhere James Potter was likely cursing him -  well, perhaps not, but he knew for sure that Lily was smiling.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are very welcome...